2017 NBCA 2, 2017 NBCA 2
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 54-16-CA INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF ELECTRICAL WORKERS, LOCAL 1555 APPELLANT FRATERNITÉ INTERNATIONALE DES OUVRIERS EN ÉLECTRICITÉ,
SECTION LOCALE 1555 APPELANTE - and - - et - DOBBELSTEYN ELECTRIC LTD., DOBBELSTEYN SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE LTD. and ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS’ ASSOCIATION OF NEW BRUNSWICK INC. RESPONDENTS DOBBELSTEYN ELECTRIC LTD., DOBBELSTEYN SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE LTD. et ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS ASSOCIATION OF NEW BRUNSWICK INC. INTIMÉES International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 1555 v. Dobbelsteyn et al., 2017 NBCA 2 Fraternité internationale des ouvriers en électricité,
section locale 1555 c. Dobbelsteyn et autres, 2017 NBCA 2 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: July 18, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 18 juillet 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2016 NBQB 132 Décision frappée d’appel : 2016 NBBR 132 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: November 9, 2016 Appel entendu : le 9 novembre 2016 Judgment rendered: January 5, 2017 Jugement rendu : Le 5 janvier 2017 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Larlee Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Larlee Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: David Mombourquette For the respondent Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd.: Amy Gough Farnworth For the respondent Dobbelsteyn Service and Maintenance Ltd.: Clarence Bennett For the respondent Electrical Contractors Association of New Brunswick Inc.: No one appeared Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : David Mombourquette Pour l’intimée Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd. : Amy Gough Farnworth Pour l’intimée Dobbelsteyn Service and Maintenance Ltd. : Clarence Bennett Pour l’intimée Electrical Contractors Association of New Brunswick Inc. : personne n’a comparu THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LARLEE, J.A. [ 1 ] The appellant, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 1555, was
unsuccessful on its application for judicial review before a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench of a decision of the New Brunswick Labour and Employment Board (the “Board”) with respect to bargaining rights for the respondent, Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd. It appeals the decision to this Court. The reviewing judge’s decision is published at 2016 NBQB 132 , [2016] N.B.J.
No. 201 (QL) . [ 2 ] In July 2014, the appellant, a trade union, applied to the Board for an order that a sale of business had taken place between the respondents, Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd. and Dobbelsteyn Service and Maintenance Ltd., pursuant to s. 60 of the Industrial Relations Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-4 (an application for a Declaration of Successor Rights).
In addition it sought an order for a Declaration of Common Employer, more precisely the companies were a “Common Employer” pursuant to s. 51.01 of the Act . [ 3 ] The respondents, Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd. and Dobbelsteyn Service and Maintenance Ltd., raised a preliminary objection that the appellant did not possess bargaining rights for Dobbelsteyn Electric’s employees, which is a prerequisite to the exercise of the Board’s jurisdiction to consider the applications. [ 4 ] The respondent, the Electrical Contractors Association of New Brunswick (ECANB), is the accredited employer’s bargaining agent for all unionized electrical contractors engaged in industrial and commercial construction in the province.
ECANB has negotiated and signed collective agreements with the appellant local since the 1960s.
It did not participate in the appeal. [ 5 ] To succeed in an application under s. 60 or s. 51.01 of the Act , the union had the onus of establishing it had bargaining rights with the predecessor employer either through a certification order (s. 10 of the Act ) or through a voluntary recognition agreement (s. 1(1) of the Act ). [ 6 ] Since the appellant did not have a certification order from the Board, the respondents raised their preliminary objection to the jurisdiction of the Board to proceed and the appellant, therefore, had to establish it had a voluntary recognition agreement with Dobbelsteyn Electric. [ 7 ] The Board dismissed the application and concluded Dobbelsteyn Electric had not entered into a voluntary recognition agreement.
Therefore, the appellant did not have bargaining rights for the employees. [ 8 ] On an application for judicial review, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench dismissed it, holding the Board’s findings were reasonable. [ 9 ] In appealing the unsuccessful application for judicial review, the appellant alleges the judge erred in his determination that the decision of the Board was reasonable on three grounds (the same grounds it argued before the reviewing judge). It submits the Board made an unreasonable finding that the appellant did not have bargaining rights for Dobbelsteyn Electric and made an unreasonable
interpretation of a power of attorney signed by Dobbelsteyn Electric. It also submits the Board erred in concluding the power of attorney did not tie Dobbelsteyn Electric to it, because the Board relied on factual assumptions which are not supported by the documentary record. [ 10 ] There is no dispute among the parties as to the standard of review. The issue for us is whether the reviewing judge identified and applied correctly the governing standard of review: Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Minister of Education v.
Kennedy et al ., 2015 NBCA 58 , [2015] N.B.J. No. 251 (QL) , per Drapeau, C.J.N.B., at para. 81; Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 60 v. City of Edmundston , 2016 NBCA 3 , 445 N.B.R. (2d) 180 , per Deschênes J.A., at para. 11; and O’Connell, as the Registrar of Motor Vehicles for the Province of New Brunswick v. Maxwell , 2016 NBCA 37 , [2016] N.B.J. No. 157 , per Quigg J.A., at para 21. [ 11 ] From Dunsmuir v.
New Brunswick , 2008 SCC 9 , [2008] 1 S.C.R. 190 , we know in a case of judicial review, reasonableness is concerned mostly with the existence of “justification, transparency and intelligibility” within the decision-making process. Reasonableness is also concerned with whether the decision falls within a range of possible, acceptable outcomes, defensible in respect of the facts and the law (para. 47).
[ 12 ] In Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses' Union v. Newfoundland and Labrador (Treasury Board) , 2011 SCC 62 , [2011] 3 S.C.R. 708 , at para. 14 , Abella J. cautions the reasons of the Board must be “read together with the outcome and serve the purpose of showing whether the result falls within a range of possible outcomes”. In Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada, Local 30 v.
Irving Pulp & Paper, Ltd ., 2013 SCC 34 , [2013] 2 S.C.R. 458, at para. 54 , the Supreme Court further cautions that a board’s decision must be “approached as an organic whole, without a line-by-line treasure hunt for error”. [ 13 ] Findings of fact or mixed fact and law are entitled to deference unless they contain a palpable and overriding error: LeBlanc et al. v. Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 558 , 2016 NBCA 11 , 447 N.B.R. (2d) 365 , per Richard J.A., at para. 19, stating “no authority needs to be cited for this as it has now become trite law”.
On a pure question of law, a reviewing court owes deference to a Board’s findings that involve the
interpretation of its home statute, a closely related statute and any contractual arrangements that fall within the scope of the Board’s mandate: Small v. New Brunswick Liquor Corporation, 2012 NBCA 53 , 390 N.B.R. (2d) 203 , per Robertson J.A. at para. 17. [ 14 ] In addition the adoption of strong privative clauses in the Act is a clear indication of legislative intent to insulate the decisions of the Board from judicial review: United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America Local 1386 v.
Bransen Construction Ltd., 2002 NBCA 27 , 249 N.B.R. (2d) 93 , per Robertson J.A., at paras. 39, 43-44 and 48. [ 15 ] In this case the reviewing judge correctly identified the appropriate standard of review; he cited both Dunsmuir and Irving Pulp and Paper in his reasons. Therefore, the relevant question for us to answer is whether he correctly applied the standard. [ 16 ] The reviewing judge identified the issue before the Board: “was whether the Union had bargaining rights”. The onus was on the Union to establish their existence.
In the absence of a certification order, it had to demonstrate a voluntary recognition agreement as defined in the Act . [ 17 ] The reviewing judge found the Board adopted the approach of the Ontario Labour Relations Board in three of its decisions: E.S. Fox Ltd., [2009] O.L.R.D. No. 3985 (QL) ; Bingo Press & Specialty Ltd., [2007] O.L.R.D. No. 1629 (QL) ; Pine Valley Enterprises Inc., [2007] O.L.R.D. No. 4441 (QL).
Those decisions cite the essential elements of a voluntary recognition agreement: it must be in writing, express an agreement between the parties, be signed by the parties to the agreement, establish an actual recognition by the employer that the union is an exclusive bargaining agent of its employees, and define the bargaining unit. [ 18 ] The reviewing judge recognized that since voluntary recognition confers upon the Union bargaining agent status without the necessity of the rigorous certification process, clear and conclusive evidence of a recognition agreement is required: SCC Construction Limited et al v.
United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry of the United States and Canada et al., [1987] N.J. No. 504 (S.C.) (QL) ; W.R. Masonry Ltd. (Re) , [1993] NFLD. L.R.B.D. No. 3 (QL). [ 19 ] The first conclusion the Board reached was that there was no evidence of any agreement in writing between Dobbelsteyn Electric and the appellant and on that basis alone it concluded no voluntary recognition agreement existed. The reviewing judge found it was reasonable for the Board to come to this conclusion and it fell within a range of acceptable outcomes.
Although he found the Board’s reasons were tersely stated, he also found the Board was alive to the issues and arguments advanced by the Union and thus came to a proper conclusion.
In my view, the conclusion that there was no evidence of an agreement in writing is a finding of fact, supported by the evidence, and it is not terse but dismissive of the issue. [ 20 ] That may have been the end of the matter but for the appellant’s argument that Dobbelsteyn Electric had effectively entered into a recognition agreement by virtue of a Power of Attorney signed by Dobbelsteyn Electric’s principal, Joseph Dobbelsteyn in 1971, authorizing ECANB to enter into collective agreements with Dobbelsteyn Electric covering all IBEW locals in New Brunswick including the appellant (Local 1555).
Put another way, the Union's position is that the collective agreement signed by ECANB constituted a recognition agreement between Dobbelsteyn Electric and the appellant because ECANB was specifically authorized by Dobbelsteyn Electric to execute the collective agreement on its behalf. [ 21 ] The Board rejected this argument and the reviewing judge agreed.
Succinctly put, the Board found to hold that the collective agreements between various locals and ECANB constituted a voluntary recognition agreement would have been unreasonable because it found the collective agreements tied Dobbelsteyn Electric to Local 2166. The Board ultimately rejected the appellant’s submission that the Power of Attorney signed by the principal of Dobbelsteyn Electric in 1971 and certain
provisions of the collective agreements, constituted a voluntary recognition agreement. If anything, it concluded the Power of Attorney also would tie Dobbelsteyn Electric to local 2166 not to local 1555. The reviewing judge confirmed this was a valid
interpretation. [ 22 ] The reviewing judge recognized that the Board, as a specialized tribunal, is granted exclusive jurisdiction to determine bargaining rights. He rejected the main thrust of the appellant’s application that the Board should have come to a different conclusion based on an alternative
interpretation of the collective agreements and the Power of Attorney. He concluded the Board’s decision falls within the range of acceptable outcomes. I agree. The Board’s decision met the standard of reasonableness. In the absence of finding that the decision, based on the record, is outside the range of reasonable outcomes, the decision should not be disturbed. In this case, in my view, the Board's conclusion was reasonable and ought not to have been disturbed by the reviewing judge. [ 23 ] One of the appellant’s complaints on this appeal was the inadequacy of the Board’s reasons.
According to it, the decision lacked justification, intelligibility and transparency thus failing the Dunsmuir test. It complained the Board also failed to provide any analysis of the wording of the Power of Attorney and the collective agreements concerning the question of whether ECANB was negotiating with respect to all the IBEW locals and whether the collective agreements so negotiated jointly covered all IBEW locals (including Local 1555). The reviewing judge addressed this issue and rejected it. I agree.
This was a decision on a preliminary threshold issue by which the appellant was seeking an extraordinary remedy. The parties provided written submissions to the Board including extensive submissions, responses and replies, and supporting documentation. The reasons of the Board meet the functionality test set out by this Court in Enbridge Gas New Brunswick Limited Partnership v. New Brunswick Energy and Utilities Board et al., 2015 NBCA 65 , [2015] N.B.J. No. 243 (QL) per Green J.A., at paras. 53-58; Atwin v.
Kingsclear First Nation , 2013 NBCA 66 , 411 N.B.R. (2d) 336 , per Drapeau C.J.N.B., at para. 3; and Attorney General of New Brunswick v. Pembridge Insurance Company , 2011 NBCA 2 , 368 N.B.R. (2d) 134 per Drapeau C.J.N.B., at paras. 35-38. [ 24 ] I would, therefore, dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,500 to each respondent, Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd. and Dobbelsteyn Service and Maintenance Ltd. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LARLEE [1] L’appelante, la Fraternité internationale des ouvriers en électricité,
section locale 1555, a présenté à un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine une requête en révision d’une décision de la Commission du travail et de l’emploi du Nouveau-Brunswick sur ses droits de négociation pour les salariés de l’intimée Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd., requête qui a été rejetée. Elle appelle de cette décision auprès de notre Cour.
La décision du juge siégeant en révision est publiée ( 2016 NBBR 132 , [2016] A.N.- B. n o 201 (QL) ). [2] En juillet 2014, le syndicat appelant a demandé à la Commission une ordonnance qui aurait constaté qu’avait eu lieu, entre les intimées Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd. et Dobbelsteyn Service and Maintenance Ltd., une vente d’entreprise au sens de l’art. 60 de la
Loi sur les relations industrielles , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. I-4 (demande de déclaration des droits de successeur).
Elle demandait aussi une déclaration concernant un employeur commun, plus précisément une ordonnance déclarant que les compagnies étaient un « employeur commun » suivant l’art. 51.01 de la Loi . [3] Les intimées Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd. et Dobbelsteyn Service and Maintenance Ltd. ont élevé une objection préliminaire : elles avançaient que l’appelante ne possédait pas de droits de négociation pour les salariés de Dobbelsteyn Electric, condition préalable de l’exercice de la compétence d’examen des requêtes reconnue à la Commission. [4] L’intimée Electrical Contractors Association of New Brunswick (l’Association) est l’agent négociateur agréé de tous les employeurs qui sont entrepreneurs en électricité syndicalisés du secteur de la construction commerciale et industrielle au Nouveau-Brunswick.
L’Association négocie et signe des conventions collectives avec la
section locale appelante depuis les années soixante. Elle n’a pas participé à l’appel.
[5] Le syndicat avait le fardeau d’établir, pour qu’une demande reposant sur l’art. 60 ou l’art. 51.01 de la Loi soit accueillie, que des droits de négociation pour les salariés de l’employeur prédécesseur lui étaient conférés, soit par une ordonnance d’accréditation (art. 10 de la Loi ), soit par une convention de reconnaissance volontaire (par. 1(1) de la Loi ). [6] Puisque le syndicat n’était pas accrédité par la Commission, les intimées ont élevé leur objection préliminaire contestant la compétence d’agir de la Commission.
Le syndicat devait donc établir que Dobbelsteyn Electric avait passé une convention de reconnaissance volontaire. [7] La Commission a estimé que Dobbelsteyn Electric n’avait pas conclu de convention de reconnaissance volontaire et a rejeté la requête du syndicat appelant. Le syndicat n’avait donc pas de droits de négociation pour les salariés. [8] Le juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine saisi de la requête en révision l’a rejetée.
Il lui est apparu que les conclusions de la Commission étaient raisonnables. [9] Le syndicat, qui interjette appel du rejet de sa requête en révision, affirme que le juge a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que la décision de la Commission était raisonnable, affirmation qu’il assoit sur trois moyens (identiques aux moyens présentés au juge siégeant en révision).
Il soutient que la Commission est arrivée à la conclusion déraisonnable qu’il n’avait pas de droits de négociation pour les salariés de Dobbelsteyn Electric et qu’elle a donné une interprétation déraisonnable à la procuration signée par Dobbelsteyn Electric. La Commission aurait également fait erreur en concluant que la procuration ne liait pas Dobbelsteyn Electric au syndicat, parce qu’elle s’est fondée sur des hypothèses factuelles qui n’étaient pas étayées par la preuve documentaire. [10] La norme de contrôle n’est pas objet de débat entre les parties.
Notre Cour doit déterminer si le juge siégeant en révision a employé la norme de contrôle appropriée et s’il l’a appliquée correctement ( Sa Majesté la Reine du chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le ministre de l’Éducation c. Kennedy et autres , 2015 NBCA 58 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 251 (QL) , le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., par. 81; Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 60 c. Ville d’Edmundston , 2016 NBCA 3 , 445 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 180 , le juge d’appel Deschênes, par. 11; O’Connell, en sa qualité de registraire des véhicules à moteur de la province du Nouveau-Brunswick c. Maxwell , 2016 NBCA 37 , [2016] A.N.-B. n o 157 , la juge d’appel Quigg, par. 21). [11] Depuis l’arrêt Dunsmuir c. Nouveau-Brunswick , 2008 CSC 9 , [2008] 1 R.C.S. 190 , nous savons que, en matière de contrôle judiciaire, la raisonnabilité tient principalement « à la justification de la décision, à la transparence et à l’intelligibilité » du processus décisionnel.
La raisonnabilité tient aussi à l’appartenance de la décision aux issues possibles acceptables pouvant se justifier au regard des faits et du droit (par. 47). [12] Dans Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union c. Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador (Conseil du Trésor) , 2011 CSC 62 , [2011] 3 R.C.S. 708 , au par. 14 , la juge Abella prévient que les motifs doivent être « examinés en corrélation avec le résultat et ils doivent permettre de savoir si ce dernier fait
partie des issues possibles ». De même, au par. 54 de Syndicat canadien des communications, de l’énergie et du papier,
section locale 30 c. Pâtes & Papier Irving, Ltée , 2013 CSC 34 , [2013] 2 R.C.S. 458, la Cour suprême prévient qu’il y a lieu de « considérer [ la décision d’une commission] comme un tout et s’abstenir de faire une chasse au trésor, phrase par phrase, à la recherche d’une erreur » . [13] Les conclusions de fait, ou les conclusions mixtes de droit et de fait, commandent la déférence à moins de présenter une erreur manifeste et dominante ( LeBlanc et autres. c. Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 558 , 2016 NBCA 11 , 447 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 365 , arrêt où le juge d’appel Richard écrit, au par. 19, qu’« [i]l est inutile de citer un précédent à l’appui de cette règle étant donné qu’elle est maintenant bien établie en droit »). S’il s’agit d’une pure question de droit, la cour de révision doit faire preuve de déférence, de même, à l’égard des conclusions auxquelles une commission est arrivée relativement à l’interprétation de sa loi constitutive, d’une loi étroitement liée et de tout arrangement contractuel relevant de son mandat ( Small c.
Société des alcools du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2012 NBCA 53 , 390 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 203 , le juge d’appel Robertson, par. 17). [14] Également, l’adoption de clauses privatives fortes, dans la
Loi sur les relations industrielles , indique clairement l’intention du législateur de soustraire les décisions de la Commission à la révision judiciaire ( United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 1386 c. Bransen Construction Ltd. et al. , 2002 NBCA 27 , 249 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 93 , le juge d’appel
Robertson, par. 39, 43, 44 et 48). [15] En l’espèce, le juge siégeant en révision a employé correctement la norme de contrôle appropriée; il s’est reporté, dans ses motifs, tant à Dunsmuir qu’à Pâtes & Papier Irving, Ltée . La question pertinente est donc celle de savoir s’il a appliqué correctement la norme. [16] Le juge siégeant en révision a indiqué que la question que la Commission avait à trancher [TRADUCTION] « était celle de savoir si le syndicat bénéficiait de droits de négociation ». Le fardeau revenait au syndicat d’établir leur existence.
En l’absence d’ordonnance d’accréditation, il devait établir la conclusion d’une convention de reconnaissance volontaire, au sens de la Loi . [17] Le juge siégeant en révision a conclu que la Commission avait adopté la démarche suivie par la Commission des relations de travail de l’Ontario dans trois de ses décisions : E.S. Fox Ltd., [2009] O.L.R.D. No. 3985 (QL) ; Bingo Press & Specialty Ltd., [2007] O.L.R.D. No. 1629 (QL) ; Pine Valley Enterprises Inc., [2007] O.L.R.D. No. 4441 (QL).
Ces décisions donnent les éléments essentiels d’un accord de reconnaissance volontaire : il doit être fait par écrit, exposer l’entente intervenue entre les parties, porter la signature des parties à l’entente, établir que l’employeur reconnaît véritablement que le syndicat est l’unique agent négociateur de ses salariés et définir l’unité de négociation. [18] Il est apparu au juge siégeant en révision que, puisque la reconnaissance volontaire confère la qualité d’agent négociateur au syndicat sans qu’il ait à se soumettre au processus rigoureux d’accréditation, une preuve claire et concluante établissant l’existence d’une convention de reconnaissance est exigée ( SCC Construction Limited et al. c.
United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry of the United States and Canada et al., [1987] N.J. No. 504 (C.S.) (QL) ; W.R. Masonry Ltd. (Re) , [1993] NFLD. L.R.B.D. No. 3 (QL)). [19] La Commission a d’abord conclu qu’aucune preuve ne démontrait l’existence d’une convention écrite entre Dobbelsteyn Electric et l’appelante. Elle a conclu ensuite, sur ce seul fondement, à l’absence de convention de reconnaissance volontaire. Le juge siégeant en révision a déclaré que cette décision de la Commission avait été raisonnable et faisait
partie des issues possibles acceptables. Encore qu’il ait constaté que les motifs de la Commission étaient énoncés de manière succincte, il a jugé que la Commission était consciente des questions et des arguments soulevés par le syndicat et qu’elle était arrivée, ainsi, à une conclusion appropriée.
À mon sens, la conclusion qu’aucun élément ne démontrait l’existence d’une convention écrite est une conclusion de fait, étayée par la preuve, et elle était, non pas succincte, mais catégorique. [20] L’affaire aurait pu dès lors être close, n’eût été que l’appelante soutenait qu’il y avait eu conclusion effective d’une convention de reconnaissance par Dobbelsteyn Electric du fait d’une procuration signée en 1971 par son principal responsable, Joseph Dobbelsteyn, procuration qui autorisait l’Association à conclure au nom de Dobbelsteyn Electric des conventions collectives couvrant toutes les sections locales de la Fraternité unie des ouvriers en électricité au Nouveau-Brunswick, y compris sa
section locale 1555. En d’autres termes, il est avancé que la convention collective signée par l’Association est constitutive d’une convention de reconnaissance entre Dobbelsteyn Electric et le syndicat, parce que Dobbelsteyn Electric avait expressément autorisé l’Association à passer la convention collective en son nom. [21] La Commission a rejeté cet argument et le juge siégeant en révision a avalisé son rejet.
En bref, la Commission était d’avis qu’il aurait été déraisonnable de conclure que les conventions collectives intervenues entre les diverses sections locales et l’Association étaient constitutives d’une convention de reconnaissance volontaire, parce qu’elle avait conclu que les conventions collectives liaient Dobbelsteyn Electric à la
section locale 2166. Elle a rejeté en définitive l’argument de l’appelante, qui soutenait que la procuration signée en 1971 par le principal responsable de Dobbelsteyn Electric et certaines dispositions des conventions collectives étaient constitutives d’une convention de reconnaissance volontaire. La Commission a plutôt conclu que la procuration, elle aussi, liait Dobbelsteyn Electric à la
section locale 2166 et non à la
section locale 1555. Le juge siégeant en révision a tenu cette interprétation pour valide. [22] Le juge siégeant en révision a reconnu que la Commission, en tant que tribunal spécialisé, est investie d’une compétence exclusive pour rendre des décisions sur les droits de négociation. Il a rejeté la prétention essentielle de la requête du syndicat, qui estimait que la Commission aurait dû tirer une conclusion différente en interpréta nt autrement les conventions collectives et la procuration. Il a conclu que la décision de la Commission faisait
partie des issues possibles acceptables. J’en conviens. La décision de la Commission répondait à la norme de la raisonnabilité. En l’absence d’une constatation que la décision, au vu du dossier, se retrouve en dehors du champ des issues possibles raisonnables, elle ne doit pas être modifiée. J’estime qu’en l’espèce la conclusion de la Commission était raisonnable et que le juge ne devait pas la modifier.
[23] L’appelante a également plaidé, devant notre Cour, l’insuffisance des motifs de la Commission. Elle avance que justification, intelligibilité et transparence font défaut à la décision et que, de ce fait, le critère énoncé dans l’arrêt Dunsmuir n’est pas rempli. Il est avancé que la Commission, en outre, n’a pas donné d’analyse des libellés de la procuration et des conventions collectives, pour ce qui est de savoir si l’Association négociait à l’égard de toutes les sections locales de la Fraternité internationale des ouvriers en électricité et si les conventions collectives négociées couvraient l’ensemble de ses sections locales (y compris la
section locale 1555). Le juge siégeant en révision s’est penché sur la question et a rejeté les prétentions du syndicat. J’estime qu’il a eu raison. La décision portait sur une question préliminaire et l’appelante souhaitait obtenir une mesure réparatoire extraordinaire. Les parties ont présenté à la Commission des observations écrites : observations, réponses et répliques détaillées, et documents à l’appui. Les motifs de la Commission satisfont au critère de la fonctionnalité, que notre Cour a établi dans les arrêts Enbridge Gas New Brunswick Limited Partnership c.
Commission de l’énergie et des services publics du Nouveau-Brunswick et autres , 2015 NBCA 65 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 243 (QL) , le juge d’appel Green, par. 53 à 58; Atwin c. Première nation de Kingsclear , 2013 NBCA 66 , 411 R.N.- B. (2 e ) 336 , le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., par. 3; et Procureur général du Nouveau-Brunswick c.
Pembridge Insurance Company , 2011 NBCA 2 , 368 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 134 , le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., par. 35 à 38). [24] En conséquence, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et d’accorder des dépens de 2 500 $ tant à l’intimée Dobbelsteyn Electric Ltd. qu’à l’intimée Dobbelsteyn Service and Maintenance Ltd.