2023 NBCA 30, 2023 NBCA 30
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 106-21-CA TAYLOR McLEAN APPELLANT TAYLOR McLEAN APPELANTE - and - - et - NATHANIEL McLEAN RESPONDENT NATHANIEL McLEAN INTIMÉ McLean v. McLean, 2023 NBCA 30 McLean c.
McLean, 2023 NBCA 30 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 12, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 12 septembre 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: [2022] N.B.J.
No. 229 2023 NBCA 2 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : [2022] A.N.-B. n o 229 2023 NBCA 2 Appeal heard: January 31, 2023 Appel entendu : le 31 janvier 2023
Judgment rendered: May 18, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 18 mai 2023 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Michael R. Young Nathaniel McLean on his own behalf Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Michael R. Young Nathaniel McLean en son propre nom THE COURT The appeal is allowed, the Divorce Judgment is set aside, and a new hearing is ordered. Mr.
McLean is ordered to pay one set of costs in the amount of $1,500, covering both the motion to dismiss and the appeal. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli, le jugement de divorce est annulé et la tenue d’un nouveau procès ordonnée. Il est ordonné à M. McLean de verser une seule masse de dépens de 1 500 $, à la fois pour la motion en rejet et pour l’appel. The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] On occasion, the interests of justice require appellate intervention in a case even if the judge whose decision is being challenged did nothing wrong based on the record before them .
In my opinion, this is one such case, strictly because the record presented to the judge was deficient. For the reasons outlined below, I would allow the appeal, set aside the Divorce Judgment and order a new hearing. II. Background [ 2 ] In the reasons that follow, I borrow freely from the decision of the Court rendered on December 2, 2022, in which Mr. McLean’s motion to dismiss the appeal was rejected.
[ 3 ] The parties were married on March 28, 2015, in the State of Arizona. They separated on August 1, 2019. It has not been an amicable separation. There were no children born of their relationship, nor did either bring a child or children of their own into the marriage. [ 4 ] Mr. McLean filed a Petition for Divorce with the Office of the Registrar on November 9, 2020. Ms. McLean was served with the Petition on November 28, 2020, in Clearwater, Florida, where she was residing at the time. [ 5 ] The record reveals that Mr.
McLean filed a Request for Divorce with the Court of Queen’s Bench (as it then was) twice, on March 1, 2021, and again on March 15, 2021. Paragraph 3 of the Request for Divorce states, “The respondent [Ms. McLean] has not filed an answer.” [ 6 ] At the hearing of the motion to dismiss, counsel for Ms. McLean produced a copy of his client’s Notice of Intention to Defend, marked received and filed in the Registrar’s Office on December 29, 2020. As the Court noted in its decision on that motion, “Ms.
McLean filed an Answer and Counter-Petition on January 11, 2021, together with proof that service had been made by prepaid express mail sent on January 7, 2021, to the address Mr. McLean had provided on his Petition.” Mr. McLean maintains he never received it. [ 7 ] The record discloses that Ms. McLean agreed to a divorce but not to Mr. McLean’s claim for an unequal division of marital property.
To the contrary, she requested an equal division of marital property under the Marital Property Act , R.S.N.B. 2012, c. 107 , as well as spousal support. [ 8 ] A hearing was held before a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench on July 15, 2021. Ms. McLean did not participate as she was given no notice of the hearing. At the conclusion of the hearing, the judge granted the divorce.
The subsequent order which issued under the Marital Property Act , dated September 13, 2021, includes the following: “AND UPON the divorce petition being undefended.” The judge ordered an unequal division of marital property in favour of Mr. McLean. [ 9 ] Ms. McLean received a copy of the Divorce Judgment at her Florida address on August 23, 2021. She became aware of the order under the Marital Property Act in mid-September 2021. [ 10 ] On October 12, 2021, Ms.
McLean filed a Notice of Appeal, asking that the decision “be set aside in its entirety” and that “the matter of division of marital property be returned to the Court of Queen’s Bench for determination.” The basis for her appeal is straightforward: the matter should not have proceeded before the court below as an uncontested divorce, because it unquestionably was, and is, contested. III. Issues and Analysis [ 11 ] Section 21(5) of the Divorce Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 3 (2nd Supp .), confers upon appellate courts the following authority: Powers of appellate court Pouvoirs de la cour d’appel
21(5) The appellate court may (
a) dismiss the appeal; or (
b) allow the appeal and (
i) render the judgment or make the order thatought to have been rendered or made,including such order or such further or otherorder as it deems just, or (ii) order a new hearing where it deems itnecessary to do so to correct a substantialwrong or miscarriage of justice. 21(5) La cour d’appel saisie peut :
a) rejeter l’appel;
b) en faisant droit à l’appel : (
i) soit rendre le jugement ou l’ordonnancequi auraient dû être rendus, y compris touteordonnance, différente ou nouvelle, qu’elleestime juste, (ii) soit ordonner la tenue d’un nouveauprocès lorsqu’elle l’estime nécessaire pourréparer un dommage important ou remédier àune erreur judiciaire. [12] In Jackson v. Hamilton, 2021 NBCA 44, [2021] N.B.J. No. 247 (QL), the Court exercised itsauthority under s. 21(5) to set aside a Divorce Judgment and order a new hearing. The fact situation differs from the present matter inthat Mr.
Hamilton failed to disclose the existence of a Separation Agreement and informed the court that “[n]o formal agreements havebeen entered into.” The Court held, “This statement was a clear misrepresentation of the facts.” [13] Here, there is no finding that Mr. McLean sought to intentionally mislead the Court of Queen’sBench judge. The fact remains that the judge proceeded on the basis of this being an uncontested divorce. The record before her did notcontain a copy of the Notice of Intention to Defend, nor the Answer and Counter-Petition. [14] Before us, Ms.
McLean argued she had been deprived of her day in court and requested a newhearing. In response, Mr. McLean urged the Court to dismiss the appeal, arguing there was no point in having a new hearing because thefacts had not changed and the outcome would be the same. He further maintained Ms. McLean’s behaviour, which he consideredinappropriate, should not be rewarded. [15] In the decision on the motion to dismiss, the Court held as follows: Rule 62.23(1)(
b) provides that a party to an appeal may apply for an order dismissing the appeal on the ground that it is “frivolous,vexatious or without grounds.” The applicable test for such dismissal was articulated in University of New Brunswick Student UnionIncorporated et al. v. Smith (S.) et al.; University of New Brunswick Student Union Incorporated et al. v. Vaillancourt et al. (1987), (NB CA), 84 N.B.R. (2d) 292, [1987] N.B.J. No. 804 (QL) (C.A.), and more recently reiterated in McGregor v. TheMinister of Social Development, 2021 NBCA 47, [2021] N.B.J. No. 282 (QL).
In sum, the task of the Court on a motion of this type isnot to determine the appeal but rather to decide whether the appeal is frivolous, in the sense that it does not raise a justiciable questionand is readily recognizable as devoid of merit. The Court’s power to dismiss under that rule “is to be used sparingly and only in caseswhich are clear and beyond doubt” (Vaillancourt, at para. 3; McGregor, at para. 8). In our view, the test has not been met. The appeal raises valid questions regarding the filing and service of documents and the legal effectof the actions taken or not taken by the parties.
We are unable to conclude that the result of this appeal is clear and beyond doubt. [paras.10-11] [16] Now that we have heard the parties argue the appeal, the appropriate disposition is clear to me.It is impossible to predict how a new hearing before the Court of King’s Bench might determine the proper division of marital propertyonce both parties are afforded the opportunity to make their respective arguments. Ms. McLean might have a better or worse outcome, orthere may be no change whatsoever; that remains to be seen. More importantly, that is not the point of this proceeding.
In my opinion, itis necessary for Ms. McLean to be heard. The Divorce Act confers upon the Court the authority to “order a new hearing where it deems itnecessary to do so to correct a substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice.” I am satisfied those conditions are met here.
IV. Conclusion and Disposition [ 17 ] Through no fault of her own, the Court of Queen’s Bench judge proceeded on the basis of this being an uncontested divorce. However, it is abundantly clear that Ms. McLean had every intention of contesting the divorce, and specifically she challenged the requested unequal division of marital property. I would allow the appeal, set aside the Divorce Judgment and order a new hearing. [ 18 ] While Mr. McLean is not to blame for the incomplete record before the trial judge, he unsuccessfully sought to have Ms.
McLean’s appeal dismissed by motion as being frivolous or vexatious and, following the Court’s findings to the contrary and denial of his motion, he opposed the ordering of a new trial at the hearing of the appeal. I would order Mr. McLean to pay one set of costs in the amount of $1,500, covering both the motion to dismiss and the appeal itself. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE GREEN I. Introduction [1] Il arrive que l’intérêt de la justice commande une intervention en appel, même si le juge dont la décision est contestée n’a commis aucune erreur vu le dossier dont il disposait .
J’estime que le cas se présente ici, strictement en raison des lacunes du dossier présenté à la juge du procès. Pour les motifs exposés ci-après, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel, d’annuler le jugement de divorce et d’ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès. II. Contexte [2] Les présents motifs puiseront abondamment de la décision que notre Cour a rendue le 2 décembre 2022, qui déboutait M. McLean de sa motion en rejet de l’appel. [3] Les parties se sont mariées le 28 mars 2015, dans l’État de l’Arizona, et se sont séparées le 1 er août 2019. La séparation n’a pas été amiable.
Aucun enfant n’est issu de leur relation, et ni l’une ni l’autre n’a apporté au mariage son ou ses propres enfants. [4] M. McLean a déposé une requête en divorce au bureau de la registraire le 9 novembre 2020. Elle a été signifiée à M me McLean le 28 novembre 2020 à Clearwater, en Floride, ville où elle était domiciliée à l’époque. [5] Le dossier révèle que M. McLean a déposé deux fois à la Cour du Banc de la Reine (nommée ainsi à l’époque) une demande de divorce : le 1 er mars 2021, puis le 15 mars 2021.
Il est déclaré au par. 3 de la demande de divorce que [TRADUCTION] « [l’]intimée [M me McLean] n’a pas déposé de réponse ».
[6] Lors de l’audition de la motion en rejet, l’avocat de M me McLean a produit une copie de l’avis d’intention de présenter une défense de sa cliente. L’avis portait mention de sa réception et de son dépôt au bureau de la registraire le 29 décembre 2020. Comme la Cour l’a indiqué dans sa décision sur cette motion : « Le 11 janvier 2021, M me McLean a déposé une réponse et demande reconventionnelle accompagnée d’une preuve de sa signification par service d’expédition rapide prépayé : le document avait été envoyé le 7 janvier 2021 à l’adresse que M. McLean donnait dans sa requête. » M.
McLean prétend qu’il n’a jamais reçu ce document. [7] Il ressort du dossier que M me McLean consentait au divorce, mais non à la répartition inégale des biens matrimoniaux demandée par M. McLean. Elle sollicitait, au contraire, une répartition égale des biens matrimoniaux sous le régime de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux , L.R.N.-B. 2012, ch. 107, ainsi que des aliments matrimoniaux. [8] Une audience a eu lieu devant une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine le 15 juillet 2021. M me McLean, qui n’en avait pas reçu avis, n’y a pas participé. Au terme de l’audience, la juge a accordé le divorce. L’ordonnance ultérieure prononcée sous le régime de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux , datée du 13 septembre 2021, énonçait entre autres ceci : [TRADUCTION] « ET CONSIDÉRANT qu’aucune défense n’est opposée à la requête en divorce ». La juge a ordonné une répartition inégale des biens matrimoniaux en faveur de M. McLean. [9] M me McLean a reçu une copie du jugement de divorce à son adresse de Floride le 23 août 2021. À la mi-septembre 2021, elle a appris qu’une ordonnance avait été rendue sous le régime de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux . [10] M me McLean a déposé un avis d’appel le 12 octobre 2021. Elle demandait que la décision [TRADUCTION] « soit annulée en entier » et que [TRADUCTION] « la question de la répartition des biens matrimoniaux soit renvoyée à la Cour du Banc de la Reine pour décision ». Elle fait valoir au soutien de l’appel ce simple moyen : il ne fallait pas instruire l’affaire, en première instance, comme si la requête en divorce n’était pas contestée, car elle était indéniablement contestée et le demeure. III. Questions en litige et analyse [11] Les tribunaux d’appel sont investis des pouvoirs suivants au par. 21(5) de la
Loi sur le divorce , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2 e suppl .) : Powers of appellate court Pouvoirs de la cour d’appel 21(5) The appellate court may (
a) dismiss the appeal; or (
b) allow the appeal and (
i) render the judgment or make the order that ought to have been rendered or made, including such order or such further or other order as it deems just, or (ii) order a new hearing where it deems it necessary to do so to correct a substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice. 21(5) La cour d’appel saisie peut :
a) rejeter l’appel;
b) en faisant droit à l’appel : (
i) soit rendre le jugement ou l’ordonnance qui auraient dû être rendus, y compris toute ordonnance, différente ou nouvelle, qu’elle estime juste, (ii) soit ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès lorsqu’elle l’estime nécessaire pour réparer un dommage important ou remédier à une erreur judiciaire.
[12] Dans Jackson c. Hamilton, 2021 NBCA 44, [2021] A.N.-B. no 247 (QL), notre Cour, exerçantles pouvoirs que lui confère le par. 21(5), a annulé le jugement de divorce et ordonné la tenue d’un nouveau procès. Les faits diffèrent deceux de l’espèce en ceci que M. Hamilton n’avait pas révélé l’existence d’un accord de séparation. Il avait indiqué à la Cour du Banc dela Reine qu’[TRADUCTION] « [a]ucun accord formel n’a[vait] été conclu ». Notre Cour a jugé que « [c]ette déclaration [était]manifestement une assertion factuelle inexacte ». [13] Il n’a pas été conclu, dans le cas présent, que M.
McLean avait l’intention d’induire en erreur lajuge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine. Le fait est, cependant, que la juge a supposé que la requête en divorce n’était pas contestée. Ledossier dont elle disposait ne contenait ni une copie de l’avis d’intention de présenter une défense ni la réponse et demandereconventionnelle. [14] Devant notre Cour, Mme McLean a soutenu qu’elle avait été privée de la possibilité de se faireentendre et a demandé la tenue d’un nouveau procès. Pour sa part, M. McLean a pressé notre Cour de rejeter l’appel.
Il a affirmé que rienne servirait de tenir un nouveau procès, puisque les faits n’avaient pas changé et que l’issue serait la même. Il a maintenu également que le comportement de Mme McLean, qu’il tenait pour inapproprié, ne devait pas être récompensé. [15] Dans la décision qu’elle a rendue sur la motion en rejet, notre Cour est arrivée aux conclusionssuivantes : La règle 62.23(1)
b) porte qu’une
partie à l’appel peut demander son rejet au motif qu’il est « frivole, vexatoire ou sans fondement ». Lecritère de rejet applicable est énoncé dans University of New Brunswick Student Union Incorporated et al. c. Smith (S.) et al.; University of New Brunswick Student Union Incorporated et al. c. Vaillancourt et al. (1987), (NB CA), 84 R.N.-B. (2e) 292, [1987] A.N.-B. no 804 (QL) (C.A.). Il a été réaffirmé récemment dans McGregor c. Le Ministre du Développement social, 2021 NBCA 47, [2021] A.N.-B. no 282 (QL).
En somme, il incombe à la Cour, lorsqu’elle est saisie d’une motion de cet ordre, non pasde statuer sur l’appel, mais de déterminer s’il est frivole, en ce sens qu’il ne soulève aucune question justiciable et qu’il peut facilementêtre reconnu comme sans fondement. Le pouvoir que confère cette règle de rejeter un appel [TRADUCTION] « doit être utilisé avecmodération et ce, uniquement dans des circonstances où cet état de choses est manifeste et indubitable » (Vaillancourt, par. 3;McGregor, par. 8). Nous sommes d’avis que le critère n’est pas rempli.
L’appel soulève des questions pertinentes sur le dépôt et sur la signification dedocuments, de même que sur l’effet juridique des actions ou de l’inaction des parties. Nous ne pouvons conclure que le résultat auquelconduira l’appel est manifeste et indubitable. [par. 10 et 11] [16] Maintenant que nous avons entendu les parties débattre l’appel, la décision appropriée me paraîtévidente.
Il est impossible de prédire le jugement que pourra rendre la Cour du Banc du Roi sur la répartition des biens matrimoniaux auterme d’un nouveau procès, une fois que les deux parties auront eu la possibilité de présenter leurs arguments respectifs. Il se pourrait que l’issue du procès favorise ou défavorise Mme McLean, ou qu’absolument rien ne change : l’avenir le dira. Et surtout, l’objet de la présente instance est tout autre. Il est nécessaire, à mon avis, que Mme McLean soit entendue. La
Loi sur le divorce habilite la Cour à« ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès lorsqu’elle l’estime nécessaire pour réparer un dommage important ou remédier à une erreurjudiciaire ». Je suis convaincu que ces conditions sont remplies en l’espèce. IV. Conclusion et dispositif [17] Sans que cette méprise lui soit imputable, la juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a procédé comme si la requête en divorce n’était pas contestée. Il est parfaitement clair, cependant, que Mme McLean entendait absolumentcontester la requête, et plus précisément qu’elle s’opposait à la répartition inégale des biens matrimoniaux demandée.
Je suis d’avisd’accueillir l’appel, d’annuler le jugement de divorce et d’ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès. [18] Encore que M. McLean ne soit pas responsable du dossier incomplet dont la juge du procès disposait, il n’en a pas moins demandé, en vain, le rejet de l’appel de Mme McLean pour le motif qu’il était frivole ou vexatoire. Puis,malgré que la Cour soit arrivée à des conclusions contraires et l’ait débouté de sa motion, il s’est opposé, lors de l’audition de l’appel, àce que soit ordonnée la tenue d’un nouveau procès. Je suis d’avis d’ordonner à M.
McLean de payer une seule masse de dépens, de1 500 $, à la fois pour la motion en rejet et pour l’appel proprement dit.