2023 NBCA 39, 2023 NBCA 39
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 33-22-CA JERRY BERNARD STAFFORD APPELLANT JERRY BERNARD STAFFORD APPELANT - and - - et - DANICA VIOLET STAFFORD RESPONDENT DANICA VIOLET STAFFORD INTIMÉE Stafford v. Stafford, 2023 NBCA 39 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Stafford c.
Stafford, 2023 NBCA 39 CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: March 7, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 7 mars 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: [2022] N.B.J. No. 128 Décision frappée d’appel : [2022] A.N.-B. n o 128 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: January 31, 2023 Appel entendu : le 31 janvier 2023 Judgment rendered: June 8, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 8 juin 2023
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Terence R. Connelly For the respondent: Grant M. Ogilvie, K.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Terence R. Connelly Pour l’intimée : Grant M. Ogilvie, c.r. THE COURT [ 1 ] The appeal is allowed in part to modify the debts of Ms. Stafford that are to be viewed as marital debts. As a result, the payment owed to Ms. Stafford is reduced from $186,744.45 to $175,757.37, as reflected in
Schedule “B” hereto. Mr. Stafford’s appeal was largely unsuccessful. Therefore, he is ordered to pay costs of $2,500 to Ms. Stafford. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli en
partie afin de modifier les dettes de M me Stafford qui sont considérées comme des dettes matrimoniales. Par conséquent, le paiement de 186 744,45 $ dû à M me Stafford est réduit à 175 757,37 $, comme l’illustre l’annexe B des présentes. L’appel de M. Stafford est rejeté en majeure partie. Il est donc condamné à verser des dépens de 2 500 $ à M me Stafford. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I. Introduction [1] Jerry B. Stafford appeals an order that provides for the payment of spousal support to Danica V.
Stafford and a division of their marital and non-marital property. [ 2 ] The dispute over both spousal support and property was needlessly complicated by Mr. Stafford’s reluctance to disclose information regarding the affairs of 621076 N.B. Ltd. (the “Corporation”), which owned the grocery store in Blackville, New Brunswick, that financially supported the family. Mr. Stafford is its sole shareholder.
Additionally, the absence of timely, meaningful financial disclosure after the separation exacerbated ongoing concerns over dealings with the Corporation’s assets, including the sale of its grocery inventory and equipment in 2017, and its building in 2021. Mr. Stafford represented himself at trial, and copies of the Corporation’s financial statements were not provided until, at the end of trial, the judge ordered they be produced and filed.
Finally, evidence of co-mingling of corporate and personal assets contributed to the complexity of the property issues. [ 3 ] Around the time the parties separated, in 2016, changes to the grocery business were under way. Ms. Stafford knew that Mr. Stafford was in negotiations with Sobeys Capital Incorporated to convert the grocery store to “Foodland,” a Sobeys- branded store . At that time, the Corporation was not expected to leave the grocery business; however, by September 2017, that is what
occurred. After opening in 2005, the grocery store operated as “Value Foods” under a relationship with Co-op Atlantic. Co-op’s insolvency, in 2015, prompted the transition to Sobeys. Although Sobeys began renovating the Corporation’s store in mid-2016, negotiations over the transition dragged on and, according to Mr.
Stafford’s testimony, by August 2017, he was left with little choice but to agree to sell the grocery assets to Sobeys for $73,000, an amount, he says, reflected merely the value of the grocery inventory. [ 4 ] After September 2017, the Corporation’s revenue came from leasing to Sobeys the building that housed the store (until it sold the building in May 2021) and from various new business undertakings commenced and operated by Mr. Stafford. [ 5 ] Undoubtedly, following their separation and the closing of the grocery business, Mr. and Ms.
Stafford’s incomes, and their financial circumstances generally, deteriorated. Mr. Stafford is now 73 years of age, and Ms. Stafford is 62. [ 6 ] When Ms. Stafford first advanced her claim for a division of Mr. Stafford’s business assets (in her 2016 Petition for Divorce), the Corporation was still operating the grocery business. By the time the trial began in November 2021, the Corporation had sold the building and its operations related entirely to other businesses, which it had commenced after separation. At trial, Ms.
Stafford requested that her claim for a division of the business assets be based on the net proceeds from the sale of the building. It sold for $595,000, which left $368,449.58 after the payout of two mortgages and various other obligations. The trial judge accepted this approach and, after deciding she was entitled to a 25% share, he awarded her $92,112.40. [ 7 ] On appeal, Mr.
Stafford maintains it was an error in law for the judge to determine the value of his business assets as of May 2021, when the building was sold, instead of the date of separation and to do so in the absence of a professional business valuation of the Corporation and/or its grocery business. [ 8 ] Additionally, Mr. Stafford submits the judge erred in determining the equalization payment relating to the couple’s marital property and debts by:
a) rejecting his claim that a race car and 2007 GMC truck were business assets;
b) valuing the race car and GMC truck based on an assessment of two competing appraisals, instead of the actual proceeds he had recovered from their sale; and
c) misapprehending the evidence of Ms. Stafford’s line of credit and credit card debts, as of the date of separation. [ 9 ] The judge’s order for spousal support obligates Mr. Stafford to pay $1,000 per month (from June 2016 to November 2021), based on an income of $39,555, being the average of Mr. Stafford’s Line 150 income between 2016 and 2020. This is not challenged on appeal. The order also requires Mr. Stafford to prospectively pay $1,200 per month from December 2021. This is based on an imputed annual income of $45,000. This amount was based on the judge’s findings regarding Mr.
Stafford’s business activities at the time of trial. It also includes Mr. Stafford’s actual CPP/OAS income, which was $16,242 in 2020. In essence, the judge imputed an additional income of $28,758 in relation to Mr. Stafford’s various business activities. [ 10 ] On appeal, Mr. Stafford contends the decision to impute income to him disregards his evidence that, as of the trial date, he was no longer buying and selling used cars, and the auto parts store and auto service centre were only breaking even. [ 11 ] For the reasons that follow, I would allow the appeal in part to reduce the amount of Ms.
Stafford’s debts that are to be viewed as marital debts and divided equally. II. Background [ 12 ] Mr. and Ms. Stafford began cohabiting in November 1997. At that time, he was 47 and she was 36, and they both had children from prior relationships. In September 1998, Mr. and Ms. Stafford had a son. They married in August 2009.
[ 13 ] Mr. and Ms. Stafford’s children from prior relationships were all independent long before they separated in February 2016. Their son was not, and the issue of his child support was contentious; however, he became independent prior to trial, and all issues concerning his support were resolved or abandoned. What follows relates to the issues of spousal support and a division of property. [ 14 ] Early in his relationship with Ms. Stafford, Mr. Stafford owned a tavern and, after it closed, he worked as a truck driver. Ms. Stafford worked at a bank. Following the birth of their son in 1998, Ms.
Stafford did not return to work outside the home. They lived in Chipman, New Brunswick. [ 15 ] In July 1999, the Corporation opened a meat shop in Chipman with the support of Victory Meat Market, from Fredericton. With Co-op’s assistance, the meat shop grew into a grocery store. [ 16 ] With Co-op’s additional encouragement and support, in October 2005, the Corporation acquired a grocery store in Blackville, New Brunswick. Co-op’s support included what Mr. Stafford described as “forgivable loans” related to its assistance with the cost of store renovations, equipment, and inventory. Mr.
Stafford testified the Corporation’s indebtedness to Co-op was reduced over time by being credited with rebates earned through its purchase of large quantities of grocery inventory from Co-op. As will be explained, according to Mr. Stafford, these loans became a factor in the Corporation leaving the grocery business in 2017. [ 17 ] In 2006, Mr. and Ms. Stafford moved to the Blackville area. By all accounts, they lived comfortably. [ 18 ] Although they separated as of February 1, 2016, Mr. and Ms.
Stafford continued to reside together in the marital home until May 2016. [ 19 ] Substantially all their personal property, apart from some personal items, was left in the home with Mr. Stafford. This included the 2007 Escalade that Ms. Stafford used until moving from the marital home, two race cars, a GMC truck, a trailer, and tools and equipment related primarily to the race cars. Mr. Stafford purchased the furnishings for Ms.
Stafford’s apartment in Chipman. [ 20 ] The trial judge based his order regarding the parties’ marital property on the above division of their property; the only significant property retained by Ms. Stafford was a parcel of vacant land (valued at $8,500). The judge concluded there was insufficient evidence to value either the contents of the marital home, or Ms. Stafford’s new home. As a consequence, that property did not factor into the judge’s determination of the equalization payment. The Corporation’s transition out of the grocery business [ 21 ] As explained above, in 2016, Mr.
Stafford endeavoured to affiliate with Sobeys and operate the store as a “Foodland”; however, by September 2017, the Corporation had left the grocery business. At trial, Mr. Stafford testified that, while he was in discussions with Sobeys, it acquired certain Co-op assets following Co-op’s insolvency; these included the “forgivable” loans owed by the Corporation.
According to him, Sobeys expected the Corporation to repay the full amount of the forgivable loans (which were in the range of $300,000), weekly sales dropped during Sobeys’ lengthy renovation of his store, and the renovations cost far more than had been expected.
Although his testimony on this issue was not entirely clear, in essence, all these factors left him with no other choice, in August 2017, but to agree to accept $73,000 for the Corporation’s grocery inventory and, it seems, some of its equipment. [ 22 ] Since September 2017, the Corporation derived its revenue from leasing its building to Sobeys (until it was sold in 2021) and from various new business undertakings pursued by Mr. Stafford.
Prior to trial, these included a car parts store, an auto service centre, and the buying and selling of used vehicles. [ 23 ] The Corporation’s revenue and income are depicted in the unaudited Financial Statements for the years (ending September 30) 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, all of which were filed following the hearing, as ordered by the judge:
Year Gross Sales/Revenue Income /(Loss) Sept 30, 2015 $3,300,000 * ($23,956) Sept 30, 2016 ** (post-separation) $2,800,000 * ($201,521) Sept 30, 2017 (post asset sale) $3,000,000 * $90,534 Sept 30, 2018 $82,116 (rent) $16,223 (other) ($15,931) Sept 30, 2019 $71,883 (rent) $214,058 (other) ($142,386) * Approximate amounts ** The 2016 Financial Statements note that Sobeys commenced renovations to the store; however, the financial arrangements with Sobeys had not been finalized by year end. Mr. and Ms. Stafford’s Income [ 24 ] The Corporation was the sole source of the family’s pre-separation earned income.
It made payments to Mr. and Ms. Stafford and their son. [ 25 ] Mr. Stafford’s pre- and post-separation income, which included CPP and OAS income, as reported on his income tax returns and determined by the judge, was: Year CPP/OAS Employment/Dividend Line 150 2014 ? ? $59,263 2015 13,432 52,000 $65,432 2016 14,516 53,000 $71,287 2017 15,097 36,000 $51,087 2018 15,637 19,720 $35,357 2019 15,983 0 $15,983 2020 16,242 7,811 * $24,053 2021 ** ** * Federal Supplements (COVID Support?). ** Unknown at the time of trial but assumed by the trial judge to be the same as 2020. [ 26 ] Ms.
Stafford did not actively participate in the business; however, prior to separation, the Corporation paid her $500 per week ($26,000 per year). According to the record before us, it paid this amount since at least 2012. As the judge noted, this “allowance” was deposited to the couple’s joint account, but it is not clear from the record if this arrangement was intended to split income from the store. [ 27 ] The Staffords’ son also received regular payments from the Corporation. As noted below, a Consent Order executed in December 2016, required that Mr.
Stafford continue a weekly amount paid by the Corporation to their son as a form of child
support (approx. $4,800 per year). Marital property and debts [ 28 ] The marital property and debts, as determined by the trial judge, included the following: 1. The marital home (agreed value of $130,000), which was subject to a mortgage of approximately $35,000 (at separation); 2. Vacant land ($8,500); 3. Vehicles used by Mr. and Mrs. Stafford at separation; and 4. Two race cars, a GMC truck, a trailer, and related tools and equipment. No RRSPs or other savings were identified. [ 29 ] Around March 2016 (after separation), Mr.
Stafford sold one of the race cars and applied the proceeds (of $18,000) against a loan that was used to acquire a vehicle for the couple’s son. This race car (including the proceeds from its sale) was not in issue at trial; however, when Ms. Stafford applied for an interim order in 2016, she advised the sale had caused her to be concerned about Mr. Stafford’s inclination to sell property. [ 30 ] In issue at trial was Mr. Stafford’s claim that the remaining race car, GMC truck and certain other property items were owned by the Corporation and were therefore not marital property.
The judge rejected this submission and, as noted, Mr. Stafford challenges this determination on appeal; he also challenges the judge’s valuation of the race car and the GMC truck. [ 31 ] In addition to the mortgage on their home, the Staffords’ debts included various vehicle loans, lines of credit and credit card debt. On appeal, Mr. Stafford contends the judge misapprehended the evidence regarding Ms. Stafford’s debts and overstated the amount she incurred prior to separation and could be treated as marital debt. This will be addressed below.
The equalization payment ordered by the judge in relation to the marital property and debts required Mr. Stafford to pay Ms. Stafford $94,632.05. The Proceedings [ 32 ] In May 2016, Ms. Stafford filed a Petition for Divorce and, a few months later, she filed a motion for interim relief. [ 33 ] The 2016 Consent Order required Mr. Stafford to maintain Ms. Stafford and their son on the “payroll through his business, ensuring that he receives a minimum of $91.52 per week” and that Ms. Stafford “continues to receive a gross salary of $26,000 per year.” In the event they were removed from the “payroll,” Mr.
Stafford was to pay those same amounts as child and spousal support. [ 34 ] The Order provided that “both parties are restrained from disposing of or impoverishing any property pending a final determination of this matter” (pursuant to s. 11 of the Marital Property Act , R.S.N.B. 2012, c. 107 ). It also required an appraisal be undertaken (by Kevin Fairweather) of all vehicles and the contents of the garage (including the race car, trailer, and equipment). If either party was dissatisfied with Fairweather’s appraisal, they could obtain another.
[ 35 ] Mr. Stafford sought an appraisal from Cameron Industrial Inc. Its report, which is addressed to him, is dated February 28, 2017. It gave an average total value of $52,497 (based on a low of 43,485 and a high of $61,509). Ms. Stafford arranged for the appraisal from Fairweather. His letter, which is addressed to her, is undated (it was faxed by him on May 5, 2017) and indicated a total value of $99,000. [ 36 ] In March 2017, Mr. Stafford sold the trailer for $12,000 and transferred $6,000 to Ms.
Stafford. [ 37 ] In mid-September 2017, after ending its grocery business, the Corporation stopped the $500 weekly payments to Ms. Stafford. [ 38 ] Both Ms. Stafford and Mr. Stafford filed motions relating to the obligations imposed under the Consent Order. Ms. Stafford’s sought a finding of contempt because of Mr. Stafford’s sale of the trailer, holding a garage sale in September 2017, and ceasing spousal support that month. Mr.
Stafford’s motion sought a variation of child and spousal support based on their son becoming independent and a change to his income and financial circumstances. [ 39 ] Walsh J. found Mr. Stafford in contempt of the Consent Order for selling the trailer but decided there would be “no penalty imposed.” He also found the son was no longer a child of the marriage and the sale of the grocery store assets constituted “a material change in [Mr.
Stafford’s] financial circumstances.” He ordered there be no interim child or spousal support payable between September 2017 and December 2017 and ordered interim spousal support of $900 per month commencing January 2018. [ 40 ] In January 2018, Mr. Stafford received a letter from Ms. Stafford’s legal counsel that Mr. Stafford interpreted as having identified a list of “items that should be sold immediately,” including the remaining race car and the 2007 GMC truck, suggesting the sale would go a long way toward resolving the dispute. At trial, Mr. Stafford attempted to introduce this letter to prove that Ms.
Stafford had requested he sell the property pending the disposition of their litigation. On appeal, he contends the judge erroneously refused to allow him to present or otherwise rely on the letter simply because it was marked “without prejudice.” He submits that, had the judge accepted the letter as proof that Ms.
Stafford suggested it was best to sell the property, the judge would have determined the equalization payment for marital property based on the amounts he recovered from the sale of the race car and GMC truck and not based on the higher values reflected in the Fairweather appraisal. [ 41 ] In March 2018, Mr. Stafford sold the 2007 GMC truck for $16,000 and, in May 2018, he sold the race car for $17,000. He testified that the proceeds from both sales went “back into the company.” [ 42 ] In May 2021, the Corporation sold the land and buildings that had been leased to Sobeys.
Out of the selling price of $595,000, the net proceeds were $368,449.58 following the payment of two mortgages and certain other obligations (of approximately $230,000). [ 43 ] On September 30, 2021, at a case management conference held two months prior to trial, a judge ordered Mr. Stafford to disclose all documents relating to the sale of the building. At a second conference, on October 14, 2021, Mr. Stafford was ordered to provide an accounting of the net proceeds from the sale, of $368,449.58.
It appears the Corporation distributed approximately $300,000 to him. [ 44 ] On November 30, 2021, the two-day divorce trial began. Prior to trial, Ms. Stafford filed a motion for contempt in relation to Mr. Stafford’s sale of the building, and it was heard at the same time as the divorce. The trial judge’s determination of the amount owed to Ms. Stafford for the division of marital property and debts and non-marital property is summarized in
Schedule “A” to his decision; it is attached as
Schedule “A” to this decision. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 45 ] On appeal, Mr. Stafford maintains the trial judge erred by determining: 1. The value of his business assets: (
i) as of 2021, and not the date of separation; and (ii) in the absence of a business valuation
respecting the Corporation and/or its business; 2. The contested issues regarding the marital property and debts by:
a) misapprehending evidence that established the race car and 2007 GMC truck were not family assets;
b) failing to use the actual proceeds he recovered from his sale of the race car and GMC truck, because the judge wrongly refused to permit him to rely on Ms. Stafford’s direction that he sell such property, as evidenced in the January 2018 letter from her lawyer marked “without prejudice”; and
c) misapprehending the evidence relating to Ms. Stafford’s pre-separation line of credit and credit cards; and 3. Imputing an income of $45,000 and disregarding his evidence that, as of December 2021, he was no longer operating a used car and auto parts business and was not otherwise earning business income. IV. Analysis A. Did the judge err in ordering a division of the business assets based on the net proceeds from the sale of the building? [ 46 ] In relation to what Mr.
Stafford describes as the trial judge’s “valuation of his non-marital property,” based exclusively on the net proceeds received from the sale of the building, he submits the judge erred by: 1. Valuing the property as of May 2021 instead of the date the parties separated in 2016; 2. Failing to recognize that there was insufficient evidence to value his business assets given the absence of a business valuation; and 3. Focusing on the sale of a single asset and disregarding the Corporation’s liabilities. [ 47 ] The essence of Mr. Stafford’s position is that Ms.
Stafford’s claim to a share of his business assets should have been determined as of 2016, and in the same manner as if she had claimed an interest in, or a share of, his shares in the Corporation, which would require opinion evidence from a business valuator. [ 48 ] Mr. Stafford grounds his submission in two principles that apply to a division of business assets. They are not in dispute. [ 49 ] First, business assets are generally valued as of separation.
Chief among the reasons for this is to capture the interest that is attributable to the pre-separation contribution of the non-owning spouse and avoid post-separation increases or decreases in the value that are attributable to, or occur while under, solely the hand of the owner (see Ms. P.H. v. Mr. P.H. , 2008 NBCA 17 , 328 N.B.R. (2d) 245 ). [ 50 ] Second, when determining both the claiming spouse’s proportionate share of the business asset(
s) and the value of those asset(s), there must be an adequate evidentiary foundation to support the requested division (see White v. Proud , 2017 NBQB 117 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 159 (QL) ). Depending on the nature of the asset(s), in the absence of a business valuation, there may be insufficient evidence to make the order sought.
[ 51 ] While the trial judge expressly acknowledged that a division of business assets ought normally to be based on their value at the time of separation, he concluded the circumstances warranted doing so as of 2021 because that was when the building was sold. Additionally, the cases cited by Mr. Stafford do not stand for the proposition that a business valuation is always necessary. In relation to an asset’s value, the amount paid by an arm’s length third party may be adequate evidence. [ 52 ] Somewhat related to Mr.
Stafford’s assertion that a valuation of the business was necessary is his contention that, by allowing Ms. Stafford to isolate her claim to the net proceeds from the sale of the building, the judge unreasonably disregarded the Corporation’s other liabilities. In other words, Mr. Stafford submits it was an error to cherry-pick one asset out of his business assets and liabilities. [ 53 ] Strictly speaking, Mr.
Stafford’s shares of the Corporation were his business asset, and it is not typical to divide such assets based on the value of a single corporate asset without consideration of the business generally or its associated liabilities. However, the circumstances surrounding the liquidation of the assets used in the grocery business, which ended with the sale of the building in 2021, are somewhat exceptional. By the time the trial occurred, Ms. Stafford’s options were limited in relation to the business assets that existed at the time of separation. [ 54 ] In my opinion, the grounds of appeal advanced by Mr.
Stafford do not identify a reversible error in the judge’s decision to accept Ms. Stafford’s claim for a share of the proceeds from the sale of the building. In my view, the decision flows from a principled consideration of the dissolution of the grocery business following separation. At that time, the main business asset was the grocery business, which included the building. Further, the calculation based on a payout of the Corporation’s two mortgages and certain other of its expenses is not prejudicial to Mr.
Stafford. [ 55 ] While the grocery business continued until August or September 2017, when the liquidation of its assets commenced, Mr. Stafford’s evidence establishes that this was a consequence of circumstances that emerged prior to, or at about the time of, separation. As a result of complications from the insolvency of Co-op, in 2015, the grocery business became less profitable, and a transition to Sobeys was seen as an opportunity. That this was developing at the time of separation is acknowledged in Ms. Stafford’s 2016 affidavit in support of her motion for interim relief.
It was also reflected in the notes to the Financial Statements for the year ended September 2016. This transition would turn out to be an unfortunate turn of events for both parties. [ 56 ] In any event, it cannot be seriously argued that a business valuation should have been undertaken as of 2016, based on the assumption the grocery business would have continued to carry on as a viable, profitable enterprise, without any consideration of its dissolution as a result of the difficult circumstances that led to the sale to Sobeys in August 2017.
Any assessment of the value of the business, even as of 2016, would have had to recognize the circumstances that resulted in the liquidation of the assets used in the grocery business. [ 57 ] The evidence of the asset sale to Sobeys, in 2017, is very limited and came entirely from Mr. Stafford’s testimony. There were no documents or records of any kind before the court. In relation to the $73,000 Mr. Stafford testified he received in 2017, it is not at all clear if that was confined to the inventory, or if it included equipment used in the business.
Nor is it clear whether the Corporation retained, in addition to the building, any other grocery assets, and, if so, what was recovered from a disposition of any such assets. [ 58 ] Additionally, I pause to note the record indicates Mr. Stafford used the Corporation’s accounts to acquire family property, including such items as the race cars and related equipment, and to pay family expenses. Indeed, this was considered in the determination that Ms. Stafford should share, to some extent, in his business assets.
Recall that the proceeds from the sale of the 2007 GMC truck (for $16,000) and the race car (for $17,000), in 2018, were, according to Mr. Stafford, paid to the Corporation. The judge decided both were family assets. Mr. Stafford’s appeal of this is addressed below. I would dismiss it. [ 59 ] Following September 2017, all that is known of Mr. Stafford’s use of the building, which, according to the record, was the only remaining asset of the grocery business, is that it was leased to Sobeys for $70,000-$80,000 annually.
There is no accounting of this income, other than that it was received by the Corporation, during the time it operated the new businesses. [ 60 ] Respecting the building’s value, the only information or evidence comes from the arm’s length sale, in 2021, at $595,000.
[ 61 ] Given the clear break between the end of the grocery business and the start of Mr. Stafford’s new enterprises (through the Corporation), in my view, his concerns over prejudice from cherry-picking the building from amongst the Corporation’s assets and liabilities are overstated. [ 62 ] The Corporation benefited from the continued ownership of the building and receipt of the related rental income. In fact, contrary to Mr. Stafford’s assertion that dividing the net proceeds from the sale of the building with Ms. Stafford disregards the Corporation’s other debts and prejudices Mr.
Stafford, I would highlight that the sale proceeds were first used to pay off debt that was incurred after 2017 in relation to Mr. Stafford’s new business ventures. As the Corporation’s Financial Statements indicate, for the year ended September 2017 (after it was out of the grocery business), its long-term debt related to the building was $108,000. By 2019, the long-term debt increased by over $200,000; the Corporation obtained two new loans/mortgages of approximately $63,000 in 2018, and $155,000 in 2019. These mortgages were paid out from the sale of the building in 2021. [ 63 ] Consequently, while Mr.
Stafford claims to have been prejudiced by the judge permitting Ms. Stafford to share in the proceeds from the sale of the building, he does not identify any residual debts that are attributable to the grocery business. In fact, debts that were related to the Corporation’s new business ventures were paid from this sale. [ 64 ] Thus, dividing the building, the only remaining asset from the grocery business, based on the net proceeds from its sale, does not result in an overvaluation of the grocery business assets or leaving unpaid debts related to the grocery business. Indeed, it seems generous to Mr.
Stafford to divide the property after over $200,000 of unrelated debts were paid out. [ 65 ] While it may be argued the value of the building itself increased between 2016 and 2021 and the debt that existed in 2016 was paid down during that period, in my opinion, even if that were so, this would have occurred over a period during which Mr. Stafford and the Corporation had the exclusive use and benefit of this property without compensation to Ms. Stafford. [ 66 ] In making the division, the judge would have been aware of s. 9 of the Marital Property Act , and it is not an issue before us.
I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B. Did the judge err in deciding the race car and 2007 GMC truck were family assets and not valuing them based on the actual proceeds from their sale?
(1) Family assets [ 67 ] The trial judge found that the “parties owned and enjoyed , with their son [B.], the use of many vehicles, race cars, trailers, snowmobiles, tools, and other ‘toys’ during their cohabitation” (underlining is mine).
He went on to state, “Based on the entirety of the evidence, I conclude that all of the above property is marital property subject to equal division as they meet the definition of ‘family assets’ as defined in the Marital Property Act […]” (paras. 93 and 97). [ 68 ] The Marital Property Act defines “family assets” as follows: “ family assets” means property , whether acquired before or after marriage, owned by one spouse or both spouses and ordinarily used or enjoyed for shelter or transportation or for household, educational, recreational, social or aesthetic purposes by both spouses or one or more of their children while the spouses were cohabiting[.] [Emphasis added.] « actif familial »
Biens appartenant à l’un des conjoints ou aux deux – qu’ils aient été acquis avant ou après le mariage – et dont les conjoints ou un ou plusieurs de leurs enfants jouissaient habituellement pendant que les conjoints cohabitaient ou qu’ils utilisaient soit à des fins de logement ou de transport, soit à des fins domestiques, éducatives, récréatives, sociales ou esthétiques[.] [Le soulignement et les caractères gras sont de moi.] [ 69 ] Mr. Stafford maintains the judge misapprehended the evidence. This assertion relates almost entirely to Mr.
Stafford’s evidence that the Corporation paid for the race car and 2007 GMC truck, or a portion thereof, and that, after they were sold, the proceeds were paid to the Corporation. For example, Mr. Stafford refers to his testimony on cross-examination, where he explained: I think the race car was sold at $17,000 [...] And in fairness to everybody I think the company has a share, I think Mrs. Stafford has a share and I think I have a share. I think we should divide $17,000 by three. I have already given slips to prove who owned the motor, who owned the transmission.
The most valuable parts of the car by the way. [ 70 ] In my view, this passage supports Ms. Stafford’s position that the race car was used as a family asset; it does not indicate the judge misapprehended Mr. Stafford’s evidence. [ 71 ] As the judge explained, in view of the totality of the evidence, he concluded such property was used and enjoyed by the family as contemplated by the definition of “family assets” under the Marital Property Act . This applies equally to the judge’s assessment of the evidence regarding the 2007 GMC, despite Mr. Stafford’s similar evidence that the Corporation paid for it.
I would dismiss this ground of appeal.
(2) Valuation [ 72 ] Mr. Stafford maintains that, had the January 18, 2018 “without prejudice” letter he received from Ms. Stafford’s lawyer been accepted into evidence, the judge would have had to consider his argument that the value of the vehicles he sold following his receipt of that letter should have been used for the division of marital property instead of assessing the value based on the appraisals submitted by both him and Ms. Stafford. [ 73 ] It is unnecessary to consider whether the judge erred in not receiving the letter since the record clearly indicates Mr.
Stafford’s evidence that he sold the GMC truck for $16,000 and the race car for $17,000. Additionally, it is clear that Mr. Stafford wanted those amounts to represent their value for the purposes of determining an equalization payment respecting family assets if they were found to be marital property. [ 74 ] Implicit in Mr.
Stafford’s position is that the judge made a palpable and overriding error in his assessment of his evidence simply because he valued the vehicles along with the other items that were appraised. [ 75 ] While the judge recognized the weaknesses of the appraisals that were submitted by both parties without calling the appraisers to testify, he also expressly stated his concerns regarding the veracity of Mr. Stafford’s evidence relating to the sale of such property. The judge stated as follows: While listening to his remarks/comments during the direct and cross-examination of [Ms.
Stafford], as while listening to his personal testimony and cross-examination, I was left with the impression that he was being “cute” and evasive. Overall, there was little contradictory oral evidence, excepting when it came to monetary questions. Regrettably, I suspect that at times [Mr. Stafford] was not telling the absolute truth, particularly on the subject of the sale of marital assets and the disposition of the proceeds. His contemptuous actions did nothing to improve his credibility, in my opinion. Therefore, where there was contradictory evidence, I preferred the [Ms. Stafford’s] evidence over the [Mr.
Stafford’s] as to its truthfulness. [paras. 58-62]
[ 76 ] Simply put, the judge gave more weight to the appraisals submitted by Mr. and Ms. Stafford than to Mr. Stafford’s evidence. In my view, this does not constitute a palpable and overriding error in the decision to fix an amount for all such assets, which was lower than the appraisal amount obtained by Ms. Stafford, but higher than the appraisal amounts submitted by Mr. Stafford. C. Did the judge err in his assessment of the credit card debt? [ 77 ] Mr. Stafford submits the trial judge misapprehended the evidence of the amounts owed by Ms. Stafford (as of the date of separation, February 1, 2016) on her
(1) Royal Bank line of credit;
(2) Royal Bank credit card; and
(3) BMO credit card. I would allow this ground of appeal. [ 78 ] At trial, Ms. Stafford did not provide evidence of the outstanding balance as of the date of separation on either her RBC line of credit or her RBC credit card. At the end of the trial, the judge directed her to file copies of the statements. She did, and they indicated a balance of $14,700 on her line of credit as of February 19, 2016, and of $14.15 on her credit card. [ 79 ] Despite this, the judge determined the marital debt related to Ms. Stafford’s RBC credit line was $15,282.66 and her credit card was $19,930.07.
In coming to this conclusion, he stated that she “did not introduce any documentary evidence” concerning the balance of her credit card account (para. 146). I agree this was incorrect; the same applies in relation to her line of credit. [ 80 ] I would modify the amount in the judge’s calculation of the equalization payment to $14,700, instead of $15,282.66 (in relation to the RBC credit line), and $14.15, instead of $19,930.07 (in relation to the RBC credit card). [ 81 ] Regarding Ms. Stafford’s BMO credit card, the amount accepted by the judge as a marital debt was $7,931.24 , as of February 14, 2016.
However, this reflects transactions that took place after February 1, 2016, the date of separation. These included $1,680 for purchase of a Sunwing vacation. As a consequence, the BMO credit card debt should be reduced to $6,455.71 , the amount owed as of February 1, 2016. [ 82 ] These changes, with a recalculation of the amount payable to Ms. Stafford, are set out in a revised version of
Schedule “A,” which is attached as
Schedule “B” to this decision. D. Did the judge err in the imputation of income? [ 83 ] The trial judge imputed Mr. Stafford’s income for support purposes (prospectively from December 2021) to be $45,000, inclusive of his CPP/OAS, which was $16,242 in 2020 (the amount received in 2021, 2022, or subsequently, is unknown). In essence, the judge attributed an additional $28,758 in income (based on CPP/OAS in 2020) in relation to Mr. Stafford’s business activities. [ 84 ] Mr.
Stafford contends the judge erred in imputing income to him for spousal support purposes by disregarding his evidence that he no longer buys and sells vehicles, and his auto parts store and auto service centre were just breaking even. [ 85 ] In his reasons, the judge stated: In my opinion the above facts raise a reasonable inference that [Mr. Stafford] is earning more than his CPP and OAS, per his tax return. […] The evidentiary foundation in this case favoring an imputation of income is “grounded” on the fact that [Mr. Stafford] has expenses
substantially greater that his line 150 income, on the fact that he operates other businesses, some of which are on a “cash basis only”, and on the fact that he “spent/withdrew” over $300,000 from his numbered company account over a four (4) month period, without reasonable explanation, less than six (6) months prior to trial. [paras. 179 and 181] [ 86 ] In my opinion, there is no merit to either Mr.
Stafford’s assertion that the judge misapprehended his evidence regarding his current business activities, or his submission that there is no rational basis to impute income that is grounded in the evidence. [ 87 ] The judge expressly referred to Mr. Stafford’s evidence that he would no longer be buying and selling vehicles, which he had admittedly been doing on a cash basis. He was aware Mr. Stafford had testified that the parts store and the vehicle service centre were only breaking even. This said, at trial, there was no financial information regarding the operation of those businesses and, even after Mr.
Stafford filed the Corporation’s Financial Statements, the judge did not include the statements for the year ended September 2021; nor were there monthly or interim statements to December 2021, which was the time from which the imputed income was used to determine prospective support. [ 88 ] In sum, the judge recognized Mr. Stafford’s evidence that he had discontinued or was discontinuing the buying and selling of vehicles, and he operated two other businesses that were breaking even. I do not agree Mr. Stafford’s evidence of his past or present business activities was misapprehended. [ 89 ] I agree with Mr.
Stafford’s contention that there must be a rational basis which underlines imputation of income, and it must be grounded in the evidence (see M.R. v. J.R. , 2018 NBCA 12 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 104 (QL) , per Baird, J.A.). In this case, the judge expressly recognized this obligation when he provided an explanation for the imputation of Mr. Stafford’s income. See also Campbell v. Vaughan , 2016 NBCA 9 , 447 N.B.R. (2d) 132 ; A.L. v. J.N. , 2017 NBCA 25 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 132 (QL) . [ 90 ] The basis for the imputation was grounded, in part, in the judge’s finding that Mr.
Stafford’s expenses were approximately 25% higher than his 2020 gross annual income. Any capital that Mr. Stafford spent from the sale of the building was irrelevant to a determination of the amount to be imputed; however, given the amount imputed (of approximately $28,000, over and above CPP and OAS), it is clear this did not factor materially into the judge’s imputation analysis, which was primarily driven by the fact that (even before the building was sold) Mr. Stafford was spending more than his reported income and continued to operate at least two businesses at the time of trial.
Given the amount imputed, and its relationship to his past actual income, I am satisfied the amount is rationally grounded in the evidence. [ 91 ] This said, since the obligation to pay spousal support in this case is based on the receipt of CPP and OAS and Mr. Stafford carries on at least two businesses (and since Ms. Stafford has no meaningful income), the circumstances could change and spousal support might need to be revisited if the CPP income changes as a result of the credit split with Ms. Stafford, or, given Mr.
Stafford’s age, if he stops working or otherwise produces credible evidence of an actual income that is lower than that which was assessed at trial. VI. Conclusion and Disposition I would allow the appeal in part to modify the debts of Ms. Stafford that are to be viewed as marital debts. As a result, I would reduce the payment owed to Ms. Stafford from $186,744.45 to $175,757.37, as shown in
Schedule “B” hereto. Mr. Stafford’s appeal was largely unsuccessful. Therefore, I would order him to pay costs of $2,500 to Ms. Stafford.
SCHEDULE “ A” MARITAL PROPERTY
Item Description Value Petitioner Respondent 1 Marital Home $130,000 . 00 $0 . 00 $130,000 . 00 2 Gaspereau land $8 , 500.00 $8,500.00 $0.00 3 Content of Marital Home $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 4 Vehicles, race cars, etc . $88,000 less $12,000 $76 , 000.00 $76,000 . 00 Sub Total $214,500.00 $8,500.00 $206,000.00 MARITAL DEBTS Item Lender Balance Petitioner Respondent 1 Mortgage on Marital Home $32 , 779.87 $0.00 $32,779.87 2 Petitioner’s RBC line of credit $15 , 282.66 $15,282.66 $0.00 3 Petitioner’s RBC credit card $19 , 930 . 07 $19 , 930 . 07 $0 . 00 4 Petitioner’s BMO credit card $7 , 931.24 $7,931.24 $0.00 5 Respondent’s CIBC loan $15,000.00 $0.00 $15,000.00 6 Repairs to Race Car prior to sale $3 , 600 . 00 $0.00 $3,600.00 Sub Total $94,523.84 $43,143.97 $51,379.87 Equity $119,976.16 -$34,643.97 $154,620.13 50/50 $59,988.08 $59,988.08 Equalization amount $94,632.05 NON-MARITAL PROPERTY Item Description Value Petitioner 25% Respondent 75% 1 Grocery store land & building - net proceeds $368,449 . 58 $92,112.40 $276,337.19 Sub Total $368,449.58 $92,112.40 $276,337.19 Due Petitioner for Marital Prope rty & Debts $94 , 632 . 05 Due Petitioner for share of Non-Marital Prope rty $92,112.40 Total amount of judgment to Petitioner $186,744.45
SCHEDULE “ B ” MARITAL PROPERTY Item Description Value Petitioner Respondent 1 Marital Home $130,000 . 00 $0 . 00 $130,000 . 00 2 Gaspereau land $8 , 500.00 $8,500.00 $0.00 3 Content of Marital Home $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 4 Vehicles, race cars, etc . $88,000 less $12,000 $76 , 000.00 $76,000 . 00 Sub Total $214,500.00 $8,500.00 $206,000.00 MARITAL DEBTS Item Lender Balance Petitioner Respondent 1 Mortgage on Marital Home $32 , 779.87 $0.00 $32,779.87 2 Petitioner’s RBC line of credit $14 ,700.00 $14,700.00 $0.00 3 Petitioner’s RBC credit card $14.15 $14.15 $0 . 00 4 Petitioner’s BMO credit card $6,455.71 $6,455.71 $0.00 5 Respondent’s CIBC loan $15,000.00 $0.00 $15,000.00 6 Repairs to Race Car prior to sale $3 , 600 . 00 $0.00 $3,600.00
Sub Total $72,549.73 $21,169.86 $51,379.87 Equity $141,950.20 -$12,669.87 $154,620.13 50/50 $70,975.10 $70,975.10 Equalization amount $83,644.97 NON-MARITAL PROPERTY Item Description Value Petitioner 25% Respondent 75% 1 Grocery store land & building - net proceeds $368,449 . 58 $92,112.40 $276,337.19 Sub Total $368,449.58 $92,112.40 $276,337.19 Due Petitioner for Marital Prope rty & Debts $83,644.97 Due Petitioner for share of Non-Marital Prope rty $92,112.40 Total amount of judgment to Petitioner $175,757.37 Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] Jerry B.
Stafford se pourvoit en appel contre une ordonnance prévoyant le paiement d’une prestation alimentaire matrimoniale en faveur de Danica V. Stafford ainsi que la répartition de leurs biens matrimoniaux et non matrimoniaux. [2] Le différend relatif à la prestation alimentaire matrimoniale et aux biens matrimoniaux a été inutilement compliqué par la réticence de M. Stafford à divulguer des renseignements sur les affaires internes de la 621076 N.B Ltd. (la société), laquelle était propriétaire de l’épicerie à Blackville, au Nouveau-Brunswick, et soutenait la famille financièrement. M.
Stafford est l’unique actionnaire de la société. De plus, le fait que les renseignements financiers n’aient pas été entièrement communiqués en temps utile après la séparation a exacerbé les craintes constantes quant à la gestion des actifs de la société, notamment la vente des stocks et de l’équipement de l’épicerie en 2017, et de son immeuble en 2021. M. Stafford a agi pour son propre compte au procès, et aucune copie des états financiers de la société n’a été remise avant que, à la fin du procès, le juge ordonne leur production et leur dépôt.
Enfin, des éléments de preuve sur le mélange des actifs commerciaux et personnels ont contribué à la complexité des questions relatives aux biens. [3] À l’époque de la séparation des parties, en 2016, des changements étaient en cours à l’épicerie. M me Stafford savait que M. Stafford était en négociation avec Sobeys Capital Incorporated en vue de convertir l’épicerie en « Foodland », un magasin de la marque Sobeys. À cette époque, il n’était pas prévu que la société cesse d’exploiter l’épicerie; c’est pourtant ce qui est arrivé, en septembre 2017.
Après son ouverture en 2005, l’épicerie était exploitée sous la bannière « Value Foods », aux termes d’une relation avec Co-op Atlantique. L’insolvabilité de cette dernière, en 2015, a accéléré la transition à Sobeys. Même si Sobeys a entrepris la rénovation du magasin de la société à la mi-2016, les négociations sur la transition ont traîné en longueur et, selon le témoignage de M.
Stafford, en août 2017, il n’avait plus vraiment d’autre choix que d’accepter de vendre l’actif de l’épicerie à Sobeys pour la somme de 73 000 $, somme qui, selon lui, ne traduisait que la valeur des stocks de l’épicerie. [4] Après septembre 2017, le revenu de la société provenait de la location, à Sobeys, de l’immeuble qui abritait le commerce (jusqu’à ce que la société vende l’immeuble en mai 2021) et de diverses nouvelles entreprises lancées et exploitées par M.
Stafford. [5] Sans aucun doute, après leur séparation et la fermeture de l’épicerie, les revenus de M. et de M me Stafford, à l’instar de leur situation financière en général, se sont détériorés. M. Stafford a aujourd’hui 73 ans et M me Stafford a 62 ans. [6] Lorsque M me Stafford a demandé la répartition de l’actif commercial de M. Stafford pour la première fois
(dans sa requête en divorce de 2016), la société exploitait toujours l’épicerie. Quand le procès a débuté, en novembre 2021, la société avait vendu l’immeuble et ses activités se rapportaient entièrement à d’autres entreprises, qu’elle avait démarrées après la séparation. Au procès, M me Stafford a demandé que sa demande de répartition de l’actif commercial soit évaluée en fonction du produit net tiré de la vente de l’immeuble. Celui-ci avait été vendu 595 000 $, dont il restait 368 449,58 $ après le paiement de deux hypothèques et de diverses autres obligations.
Le juge du procès a retenu cette démarche et, après avoir conclu qu’elle avait droit à une part de 25 %, il lui a accordé un montant de 92 112,40 $. [7] En appel, M. Stafford affirme que le juge a commis une erreur de droit en déterminant la valeur de son actif commercial en date de mai 2021, lorsque l’immeuble a été vendu, plutôt qu’en date de la séparation, et de le faire en l’absence d’une évaluation commerciale professionnelle de la société et de son entreprise d’épicerie. [8] En outre, M.
Stafford fait valoir que le juge a commis des erreurs en calculant le paiement d’égalisation relatif aux biens matrimoniaux et aux dettes matrimoniales :
a) du fait qu’il a rejeté sa prétention selon laquelle une voiture de course et une camionnette GMC 2007 étaient des actifs commerciaux;
b) du fait qu’il a évalué la voiture de course et la camionnette GMC en se fondant sur deux évaluations contradictoires plutôt qu’en utilisant le produit réel recouvré de leur vente;
c) du fait qu’il a interprété erronément la preuve concernant les dettes de M me Stafford associées à sa marge de crédit et à ses cartes de crédit en date de la séparation. [9] L’ordonnance alimentaire matrimoniale qu’a rendue le juge contraint M. Stafford à payer 1 000 $ par mois (de juin 2016 à novembre 2021), en fonction d’un revenu de 39 555 $, soit le revenu moyen inscrit à la ligne 150 de la déclaration de revenu s de M. Stafford entre 2016 et 2020. Cet élément n’est pas contesté en appel. L’ordonnance enjoint en outre à M. Stafford de verser 1 200 $ par mois de façon prospective à compter de décembre 2021.
Cette somme est calculée en fonction d’un revenu annuel attribué de 45 000 $, qui repose quant à lui sur les conclusions du juge concernant les activités commerciales de M. Stafford au moment du procès. Il inclut également le revenu actuel de M. Stafford provenant du RPC et de la SV, qui était de 16 242 $ en 2020. Au fond, le juge a attribué à M. Stafford un revenu supplémentaire de 28 758 $ relativement à ses diverses activités commerciales. [10] En appel, M.
Stafford fait valoir que la décision de lui attribuer un revenu fait abstraction de son témoignage selon lequel, en date du procès, il ne se livrait plus à l’achat et à la vente de voitures d’occasion , et le magasin de pièces d’automobiles et le centre automobile atteignaient tout juste le seuil de rentabilité. [11] Pour les motifs exposés ci-dessous, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel en
partie de façon à réduire les dettes de M me Stafford qui doivent être considérées comme des dettes matrimoniales et réparties en parts égales. II. Contexte [12] M. et M me Stafford ont commencé à cohabiter en novembre 1997. À cette époque, il était âgé de 47 ans et elle, de 36, et ils avaient tous deux des enfants issus de relations antérieures. En septembre 1998, M. et M me Stafford ont eu un fils. Ils se sont mariés en août 2009. [13] Les enfants de M. et M me Stafford issus de relations antérieures étaient tous devenus indépendants bien avant qu’ils ne se séparent en février 2016.
Leur fils était toujours à leur charge, et la question des aliments pour enfants a été en litige; il a toutefois cessé d’être à leur charge avant le procès, et toutes les questions touchant ses aliments ont été résolues ou abandonnées. La présente décision porte sur les questions de prestation alimentaire matrimoniale et de répartition des biens.
[14] Au début de sa relation avec M me Stafford, M. Stafford était propriétaire d’une taverne puis, après la fermeture de celle-ci, il a travaillé comme camionneur. M me Stafford travaillait pour une banque. Après la naissance de leur fils, en 1998, M me Stafford n’est pas retournée travailler à l’extérieur du foyer. Ils habitaient à Chipman, au Nouveau-Brunswick. [15] En juillet 1999, la société a ouvert une boucherie à Chipman, avec le soutien de Victory Meat Market de Fredericton.
Avec l’aide de la Co-op, la boucherie est devenue une épicerie. [16] Toujours avec l’encouragement et le soutien de la Co-op, en octobre 2005, la société a fait l’acquisition d’une épicerie à Blackville, au Nouveau-Brunswick. Le soutien offert par la Co-op comprenait ce que M. Stafford a appelé des [TRADUCTION] « prêts-subventions » pour l’aider à payer le coût des rénovations du magasin, de l’équipement et des stocks. M.
Stafford a témoigné que la dette de la société envers la Co-op a diminué avec le temps grâce à des remises accumulées par l’achat de grandes quantités de stocks d’épicerie auprès de la Co-op qui étaient portées à son crédit. Comme il sera expliqué, selon M. Stafford, ces prêts ont joué un rôle dans la décision de la société de quitter le secteur de l’épicerie en 2017. [17] En 2006, M. et M me Stafford sont déménagés dans la région de Blackville.
Au dire de tous, ils vivaient une vie aisée. [18] Bien qu’ils se soient séparés le 1 er février 2016, M. et M me Stafford ont continué de vivre ensemble dans le foyer matrimonial jusqu’en mai 2016. [19] La quasi-totalité de leurs biens personnels, à l’exception de quelques articles personnels, est restée dans le foyer avec M. Stafford. Ces biens comprenaient le véhicule Escalade 2007 que M me Stafford utilisait jusqu’à ce qu’elle quitte le foyer matrimonial, deux voitures de course, une camion n ette de marque GMC, une remorque, des outils et de l’équipement utilisés principalement pour les voitures de course. M.
Stafford a acheté l’ameublement de l’appartement de M me Stafford à Chipman. [20] Le juge du procès a fondé son ordonnance relative aux biens matrimoniaux des parties sur la répartition des biens mentionnée ci-dessus; le seul bien d’importance conservé par M me Stafford était un terrain vacant (évalué à 8 500 $). Le juge a conclu que la preuve n’était pas suffisante pour évaluer le contenu du foyer matrimonial ni celui du nouveau foyer de M me Stafford. En conséquence, ces biens n’ont pas été pris en compte dans le calcul qu’a fait le juge pour établir le paiement d’égalisation.
Le départ de la société du secteur de l’épicerie [21] Comme il est expliqué ci-dessus, en 2016, M. Stafford a entrepris des démarches dans le but de s’associer à Sobeys et d’exploiter le magasin en tant que « Foodland »; or, en septembre 2017, la société avait quitté le secteur de l’épicerie. Au procès, M. Stafford a témoigné que, alors qu’il était en discussion avec Sobeys, Sobeys avait acquis certains éléments d’actif de la Co-op à la suite de l’insolvabilité de cette dernière; ceux-ci comprenaient les [TRADUCTION] « prêts-subventions » dus par la société.
Selon lui, Sobeys s’attendait à ce que la société lui rembourse le plein montant des prêts-subventions (qui s’élevaient à environ 300 000 $), les ventes hebdomadaires avaient chuté au cours des longues rénovations du magasin entreprises par Sobeys et les rénovations ont coûté beaucoup plus que ce qui avait été prévu. Quoique son témoignage sur cette question n’eût pas été entièrement clair, en gros, l’ensemble de ces facteurs ne lui a laissé guère d’autre choix, en août 2017, que celui d’accepter la somme de 73 000 $ en échange des stocks d’épicerie de la société et, semble-t-il, d’une
partie de son équipement. [22] Depuis septembre 2017, la société tirait son revenu de la location de son immeuble à Sobeys (jusqu’à sa vente en 2021) et de diverses nouvelles entreprises exploitées par M. Stafford. Avant le procès, celles-ci comprenaient un magasin de pièces d’automobiles, un centre automobile et l’achat-vente de véhicules d’occasion . [23] Les recettes et le revenu de la société sont présentés dans les états financiers non audités des exercices (se terminant le 30 septembre) 2016, 2017, 2018 et 2019, qui ont tous été déposés après l’audience, comme l’a ordonné le juge :
Année Ventes/recettes brutes Revenu/(perte) 30 sept. 2015 3 300 000 $ * (23 956 $) 30 sept. 2016** (après la séparation) 2 800 000 $ * (201 521 $) 30 sept. 2017 (après la vente des actifs) 3 000 000 $ * 90 534 $ 30 sept. 2018 82 116 $ (location) 16 223 $ (autres) (15 931 $) 30 sept. 2019 71 883 $ (location) 214 058 $ (autres) (142 386 $) * Sommes approximatives. ** Dans les états financiers de 2016, il est indiqué que Sobeys a entamé les rénovations du magasin; les accords financiers avec Sobeys n’avaient toutefois pas été finalisés à la fin de l’exercice. Le revenu de M. et de M me Stafford [24]
La société était l’unique source du revenu gagné par la famille avant la séparation. Elle faisait des paiements à M. et à M me Stafford, ainsi qu’à leur fils. [25] Voici le revenu de M.
Stafford avant et après la séparation, qui inclut son revenu du RPC et de la SV, tel qu’il figure sur ses déclarations de revenu et tel qu’il a été établi par le juge : Année RPC/SV Revenu d’emploi / de dividendes Ligne 150 2014 ? ? 59 263 $ 2015 13 432 52 000 65 432 $ 2016 14 516 53 000 71 287 $ 2017 15 097 36 000 51 087 $ 2018 15 637 19 720 35 357 $ 2019 15 983 0 15 983 $ 2020 16 242 7 811 * 24 053 $ 2021 ** ** * Suppléments fédéraux (aide liée à la COVID?) ** Inconnus au moment du procès, mais le juge du procès a présumé qu’ils étaient les mêmes qu’en 2020. [26] M me Stafford ne participait pas activement aux activités de l’entreprise; néanmoins, avant la séparation, la société lui versait 500 $ par semaine (26 000 $ par année).
Selon le dossier qui a été déposé devant nous, elle lui versait cette somme depuis au moins 2012. Comme le juge l’a souligné, cette [TRADUCTION] « allocation » était déposée dans le compte conjoint du couple, mais il ne ressort pas clairement du dossier si cette entente visait à fractionner le revenu du magasin.
[27] Le fils de M. et M me Stafford recevait également des paiements réguliers de la part de la société. Comme je l’indique ci-dessous, une ordonnance sur consentement signée en décembre 2016 enjoignait à M. Stafford de continuer à faire payer par la société un certain montant hebdomadaire à leur fils en guise d’aliments pour enfants (environ 4 800 $ par année). Biens matrimoniaux et dettes matrimoniales [28] Les biens matrimoniaux et dettes matrimoniales établis par le juge de première instance comprenaient ce qui suit : 1.
Le foyer matrimonial (valeur convenue de 130 000 $), qui était grevé d’une hypothèque d’envi r on 35 000 $ (à la séparation); 2. Un terrain vacant (8 500 $); 3. Les véhicules utilisés par M. et M me Stafford à la séparation; 4. Deux voitures de course, une camionnette de marque GMC, une remorque et des outils et de l’équipement connexes. A ucun REER ni aucune autre épargne n’a été mentionné. [29] Vers mars 2016 (après la séparation), M. Stafford a vendu l’une des voitures de course et a utilisé le produit (18 000 $) pour rembourser un prêt qui avait été contracté pour acheter un véhicule au fils du couple.
Cette voiture de course (y compris le produit de sa vente) n’était pas en litige au procès; cependant, lorsque M me Stafford a sollicité une ordonnance provisoire en 2016, elle a affirmé que la vente lui avait fait craindre que M. Stafford ait un certain désir de vendre des biens. [30] Au procès, l’affirmation de M. Stafford selon laquelle la voiture de course restante, la camionnette GMC et certains autres biens appartenaient à la société et n’étaient donc pas des biens matrimoniaux était en litige. Le juge a rejeté cet argument et, comme je l’ai indiqué, M.
Stafford conteste cette conclusion en appel; il conteste en outre l’évaluation qu’a faite le juge de la voiture de course et de la camionnette GMC. [31] En plus de l’hypothèque grevant leur foyer, M. et M me Stafford avaient des dettes, dont divers prêts automobiles, des marges de crédit et des dettes associées à des cartes de crédit. En appel, M. Stafford fait valoir que le juge a mal interprété la preuve relative aux dettes de M me Stafford et a surévalué les dettes engagées avant la séparation pouvant être traitées comme des dettes matrimoniales. Cette question sera examinée ci-apr è s. Le juge a ordonné à M.
Stafford de verser la somme de 94 632,05 $ à M me Stafford à
titre de paiement d’égalisation en lien avec les biens matrimoniaux et les dettes matrimoniales. L’instance [32] En mai 2016, M me Stafford a déposé une requête en divorce et, quelques mois plus tard, une motion en mesures provisoires. [33] L’ordonnance sur consentement de 2016 enjoignait à M. Stafford de continuer de verser à M me Stafford et à leur fils [TRADUCTION] « un salaire par l’intermédiaire de son entreprise, de façon à garantir qu’il touche au moins 91,52 $ par semaine » et prescrivait que M me Stafford [TRADUCTION] « continue de toucher un salaire brut annuel de 26 000 $ ».
Dans l’éventualité où ils ne toucheraient plus de [TRADUCTION] « salaire », M. Stafford devait leur verser les mêmes sommes à
titre de prestation alimentaire pour enfants et de prestation alimentaire matrimoniale.
[34] L’ordonnance prévoyait qu’[TRADUCTION] « il est défendu aux deux parties de disposer de tout bien ou d’appauvrir tout bien en attendant qu’une décision définitive soit rendue en l’espèce » (en vertu de l’art. 11 de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux , L.R.N.-B. 2012, ch. 107). Elle prescrivait également qu’une évaluation de tous les véhicules et du contenu du garage (y compris la voiture de course, la remorque et l’équipement) soit réalisée (par Kevin Fairweather). Si l’une ou l’autre des parties était insatisfaite de l’évaluation de M. Fairweather, elle pouvait en obtenir une autre. [35] M. Stafford a demandé à la société Cameron Industrial Inc. de faire une évaluation. Le rapport, qui lui est adressé, est daté du 28 février 2017.
Il y était estimé une valeur totale moyenne de 52 497 $ (en fonction d’une valeur inférieure se situant à 43 485 $ et d’une valeur supérieure se situant à 61 509 $). M me Stafford a entrepris des démarches pour que M. Fairweather procède à son évaluation. Sa lettre, qui est adressée à M me Stafford, ne porte pas de date (il l’a transmise par télécopieur le 5 mai 2017) et indique une valeur totale de 99 000 $. [36] En mars 2017, M.
Stafford a vendu la remorque 12 000 $ et a transféré 6 000 $ à M me Stafford. [37] À la mi-septembre 2017, après avoir cessé les activités de son entreprise d’épicerie, la société a mis fin aux versements hebdomadaires de 500 $ à M me Stafford. [38] M. et M me Stafford ont tous deux déposé des motions concernant les obligations qui leur étaient imposées par l’ordonnance sur consentement. M me Stafford sollicitait une déclaration d’outrage, car M. Stafford avait vendu la remorque, tenu une vente-débarras en septembre 2017 et cessé de verser la prestation alimentaire matrimoniale ce mois-là. Dans sa motion, M.
Stafford sollicitait la modification de la prestation alimentaire pour enfants et de la prestation alimentaire matrimoniale, car leur fils n’était plus à charge et un changement était survenu dans son revenu et sa situation financière. [39] Le juge Walsh a déclaré M. Stafford coupable d’outrage relativement à l’ordonnance sur consentement pour avoir vendu la remorque, mais il a décidé de [TRADUCTION] « n’infliger aucune sanction ».
Il a également conclu que le fils n’était plus un enfant à charge et que la vente de l’actif de l’épicerie constituait [TRADUCTION] « un changement important dans la situation financière [de M. Stafford] ». Il a ordonné qu’aucune prestation alimentaire matrimoniale ni prestation alimentaire pour enfant ne soit payable entre septembre 2017 et décembre 2017 et qu’une prestation alimentaire matrimoniale provisoire de 900 $ par mois soit payable à compter de janvier 2018. [40] En janvier 2018, M. Stafford a reçu une lettre de l’avocat de M me Stafford, que M.
Stafford a interprétée comme donnant une liste d’[TRADUCTION] « articles qui devraient être vendus immédiatement », y compris la voiture de course restante et la camionnette GMC 2007, laissant entendre que la vente de ces articles contribu e rait grandement à résoudre le litige. Au procès, M. Stafford a tenté de produire cette lettre pour démontrer que M me Stafford avait demandé qu’il vende les biens en attendant que leur litige soit tranché.
En appel, il affirme que le juge a refusé à tort de lui permettre de présenter la lettre ou de par ailleurs s’appuyer sur celle-ci, pour la simple raison qu’elle comportait la mention [TRADUCTION] « sous toutes réserves ». Il fait valoir que, si le juge avait admis la lettre comme preuve établissant que M me Stafford avait laissé entendre qu’il valait mieux vendre les biens, le juge aurait calculé le paiement d’égalisation relatif aux biens matrimoniaux en fonction des montants recouvrés de la vente de la voiture de course et de la camionnette GMC et non des valeurs supérieures indiquées dans l’évaluation de M.
Fairweather. [41] En mars 2018, M. Stafford a vendu la camionnette GMC 2007 16 000 $ et, en mai 2018, il a vendu la voiture de course 17 000 $. Il a témoigné que le produit des deux ventes avait été [TRADUCTION] « retourné à la société ». [42] En mai 2021, la société a vendu le terrain et les immeubles qui étaient loués à Sobeys .
Du prix de vente de 595 000 $, le produit net a été de 368 449,58 $, après le paiement de deux hypothèques et de certaines autres obligations (d’environ 230 000 $). [43] Le 30 septembre 2021, lors d’une conférence préalable à l’instance qui s’est déroulée deux mois avant le procès, un juge a ordonné à M. Stafford de divulguer tous les documents relatifs à la vente de l’immeuble. À une deuxième conférence, tenue le 14 octobre 2021, il a été ordonné à M. Stafford de faire une reddition de compte du produit net de la vente, de 368 449,58 $. Il semble que la société lui ait remis environ 300 000 $.
[44] Le 30 novembre 2021, le procès de divorce, qui a duré deux jours, a commencé . Avant le procès, M me Stafford a déposé une motion en mesures pour outrage en lien avec la vente de l’immeuble par M. Stafford, motion qui a été entendue en même temps que le divorce. Le calcul fait par le juge du procès de la somme due à M me Stafford au
titre de la répartition des biens matrimoniaux et des dettes matrimoniales est résumé à l’annexe A de sa décision; cette
annexe est jointe à la présente décision comme
annexe A. III. Moyens d’appel [45] En appel, M. Stafford fait valoir que le juge du procès a commis des erreurs : 1. du fait qu’il a calculé la valeur de son actif commercial : (
i) en date de 2021 et non en date de la séparation; et (ii) en l’absence d’une évaluation commerciale de la société ou de ses activités; 2. du fait qu’il a tranché les questions en litige sur les biens matrimoniaux et les dettes matrimoniales :
a) en interprétant erronément la preuve établissant que la voiture de course et la camionnette GMC 2007 n’étaient pas des actifs familiaux;
b) en omettant d’employer le produit réel recouvré de la vente de la voiture de course et de la camionnette GMC, puisque le juge lui a refusé à tort de s’appuyer sur les instructions de M me Stafford lui enjoignant de vendre ces biens, ce que démontre la lettre de janvier 2018 de son avocat portant la mention [TRADUCTION] « sous toutes réserves »;
c) en interprétant erronément la preuve concernant la marge de crédit et les cartes de crédit de M me Stafford antérieures à la séparation; 3. du fait qu’il a attribué un revenu de 45 000 $ et n’a pas tenu compte de sa preuve selon laquelle, depuis décembre 2021, il n’exploitait plus d’entreprises de pièces d’automobiles et d’achat-vente de voitures d’occasion et ne gagnait aucun autre revenu d’entreprise. IV. Analyse A. Le juge a-t-il commis une erreur en ordonnant la répartition de l’actif commercial en fonction du produit net de la vente de l’immeuble? [46] En ce qui concerne ce que M.
Stafford appelle [TRADUCTION] « l’évaluation de ses biens non matrimoniaux » faite par le juge du procès, en fonction exclusivement du produit net reçu à la suite de la vente de l’immeuble, il fait valoir que le juge a commis une erreur : 1. en évaluant le bien en date de mai 2021, plutôt qu’en date de la séparation des parties en 2016; 2. en omettant de reconnaître que la preuve n’était pas suffisante pour évaluer ses actifs commerciaux compte tenu de l’absence d’une évaluation commerciale; 3. en se concentrant sur la vente d’un seul élément d’actif, faisant abstraction des dettes de la société.
[47] L’essentiel de la thèse de M. Stafford est que la revendication de Mme Stafford à une part de ses actifscommerciaux aurait dû être tranchée en fonction de la valeur de ces actifs en 2016, et de la même manière que si elle avait réclamé unintérêt dans la société, ou une part de ses actions de la société, ce qui aurait nécessité une preuve sous forme d’opinion d’un évaluateurcommercial. [48] M.
Stafford appuie ses arguments sur deux principes s’appliquant à la répartition des actifs commerciaux.Ceux-ci ne sont pas contestés. [49] Premièrement, les actifs commerciaux sont généralement évalués en date de la séparation. La principale raisonde procéder ainsi est de rendre compte de l’intérêt attribuable à la contribution de l’époux non-propriétaire antérieure à la séparation etd’éviter de tenir compte d’augmentations ou de diminutions de la valeur qui ont eu lieu après la séparation et qui sont attribuables uniquement à l’époux propriétaire ou qui sont survenues sous sa direction exclusive (voir Mme P.H. c.
M. P.H., 2008 NBCA 17, 328 R.N.-B. (2e) 245). [50] Deuxièmement, pour déterminer la part proportionnelle des actifs commerciaux de l’époux qui en fait lademande et la valeur de ces actifs, un fondement probatoire adéquat appuyant la répartition demandée doit exister (voir White c. Proud, 2017 NBQB 117 , 2017 NBBR 117, [2017] A.N.-B. no 159 (QL)).
Selon la nature des actifs, en l’absence d’une évaluationcommerciale, la preuve pourrait être insuffisante pour rendre l’ordonnance sollicitée. [51] Bien que le juge de première instance ait reconnu expressément que la répartition des actifs commerciauxdevait normalement être effectuée en fonction de leur valeur au moment de la séparation, il a conclu que les circonstances justifiaient dele faire en date de 2021, puisque c’est le moment où la vente de l’immeuble a eu lieu. En outre, dans les décisions auxquelles renvoieM. Stafford, il n’est pas dit qu’une évaluation commerciale soit toujours nécessaire.
En ce qui concerne la valeur d’un élément d’actif, lasomme payée par un tiers sans lien de dépendance peut en constituer une preuve adéquate. [52] L’argument de M. Stafford selon lequel, en permettant à Mme Stafford de limiter sa demande au produit net tiréde la vente de l’immeuble, le juge a agi de manière déraisonnable et n’a pas tenu compte des autres dettes de la société est lié, d’unecertaine manière, à sa prétention selon laquelle une évaluation commerciale était nécessaire. Autrement dit, M.
Stafford soutient quec’était une erreur de ne sélectionner qu’un élément d’actif parmi l’ensemble de ses actifs et passifs commerciaux. [53] À proprement parler, les actions de la société détenues par M. Stafford représentaient son actif commercial, eton ne répartit généralement pas un tel actif en s’appuyant sur la valeur d’un seul actif commercial sans tenir compte de l’entreprise defaçon globale ou de ses dettes associées.
Cependant, les circonstances dans lesquelles a eu lieu la liquidation des actifs utilisés pourl’entreprise d’épicerie, qui a cessé ses activités avec la vente de l’immeuble en 2021, sont quelque peu exceptionnelles. Au moment où s’est déroulé le procès, les choix qui s’offraient à Mme Stafford quant aux actifs commerciaux qui existaient au moment de la séparationétaient limités. [54] À mon avis, les moyens d’appel que fait valoir M.
Stafford ne cernent aucune erreur justifiant l’infirmation de la décision du juge d’accueillir la demande de Mme Stafford visant l’obtention d’une part du produit de la vente de l’immeuble. Selonmoi, la décision témoigne d’une prise en considération raisonnée de la dissolution de l’entreprise d’épicerie qui a suivi la séparation. Àcette époque, le principal actif commercial était l’entreprise d’épicerie, qui comprenait l’immeuble. En outre, le calcul qui tient comptedu remboursement des deux hypothèques de la société et de certaines autres de ses dépenses ne porte pas préjudice à M.
Stafford. [55] Si l’entreprise d’épicerie a poursuivi ses activités jusqu’en août ou septembre 2017, lorsque la liquidation deses actifs a commencé, la preuve de M. Stafford établit qu’il s’agissait d’une conséquence d’événements qui ont eu lieu avant laséparation ou environ au même moment. En raison des complications découlant de l’insolvabilité de la Co-op, en 2015, l’entreprised’épicerie est devenue moins rentable et la transition à Sobeys a été perçue comme une occasion d’affaires.
L’affidavit souscrit par Mme Stafford à l’appui de sa motion en mesures provisoires en 2016 confirme que cette situation était en cours au moment de laséparation. Cela ressort également des notes qui accompagnaient les états financiers de l’exercice clos en septembre 2016. Cettetransition se révèlera être un revirement malheureux pour les deux parties. [56] Quoi qu’il en soit, on ne peut sérieusement prétendre qu’une évaluation commerciale aurait dû être réalisée endate de 2016, en se fondant sur l’hypothèse selon laquelle l’entreprise d’épicerie aurait poursuivi ses activités en tant qu’entreprise viable
et prospère, sans tenir compte de sa dissolution découlant des circonstances difficiles qui ont mené à sa vente à Sobeys en août 2017. Toute évaluation de l’entreprise, même en date de 2016, aurait dû reconnaître les circonstances ayant entraîné la dissolution des actifs utilisés dans l’entreprise d’épicerie. [57] L a preuve relative à la vente des actifs à Sobeys, en 2017, est très limitée et provient entièrement du témoignage de M. Stafford. Aucun document ni dossier de quelque nature que ce soit n’a été présenté au tribunal. En ce qui concerne les 73 000 $ que M.
Stafford aurait, selon son témoignage, reçus en 2017, on ne sait pas exactement s’ils visaient uniquement les stocks ou s’ils incluaient l’équipement utilisé dans l’entreprise. On ne sait pas non plus tout à fait si la société a conservé, en plus de l’immeuble, d’autres actifs de l’entreprise d’épicerie et, le cas échéant, quel a été le produit recouvré de la vente de ces actifs, le cas échéant. [58] En outre, j’ouvre une parenthèse pour faire remarquer que le dossier indique que M.
Stafford a utilisé les comptes de la société pour acquérir des biens familiaux, comme les voitures de course et l’équipement connexe, et payer des dépenses familiales. Cet aspect a effectivement été pris en compte pour conclure que M me Stafford avait droit à une certaine part de ses actifs commerciaux. Souvenons-nous que le produit de la vente de la camionnette GMC 2007 (16 000 $) et de la voiture de course (17 000 $), en 2018, a été, selon M. Stafford, versé à la société. Le juge a décidé qu’il s’agissait de deux actifs familiaux. L’appel de M. Stafford contre cette décision est examiné ci-dessous.
Je le rejetterais. [59] Après septembre 2017, tout ce que l’on sait au sujet de l’utilisation faite par M. Stafford de l’immeuble – qui était selon le dossier le seul élément d’actif restant de l’entreprise d’épicerie –, c’est qu’il le louait à Sobeys pour 70 000 $ à 80 000 $ par année.
Aucun compte n’a été présenté faisant état de son revenu durant la période pendant laquelle il exploitait les nouvelles entreprises, sauf que ce revenu lui était versé par la société. [60] En ce qui concerne la valeur de l’immeuble, la seule information ou preuve provient de la vente sans lien de dépendance, en 2021, pour 595 000 $. [61] Étant donné la rupture nette entre la fin des activités de l’entreprise d’épicerie et le commencement de celles des nouvelles entreprises de M.
Stafford (par l’entremise de la société), à mon avis, ses craintes selon lesquelles le fait de sélectionner l’immeuble parmi les actifs et passifs de la société lui porterait préjudice sont exagérées. [62]
La société a profité de la propriété continue de l’immeuble et de la réception continue du revenu de location. En fait, contrairement à l’affirmation de M. Stafford selon laquelle le fait de partager avec M me Stafford le produit net tiré de la vente de l’immeuble ne tient pas compte des autres dettes de la société et lui porte préjudice, je tiens à souligner que le produit de la vente a d’abord été utilisé pour rembourser des dettes contractées après 2017 en lien avec les nouvelles entreprises de M. Stafford.
Comme l’indiquent les états financiers de la société, pour l’exercice clos en septembre 2017 (après son départ du secteur de l’épicerie), son endettement à long terme lié à l’immeuble était de 108 000 $. En 2019, l’endettement à long terme avait augmenté de plus de 200 000 $, la société ayant obtenu deux nouveaux prêts / nouvelles hypothèques d’environ 63 000 $ en 2018 et 155 000 $ en 2019. Ces hypothèques ont été remboursées à partir du produit tiré de la vente de l’immeuble en 2021. [63] Par conséquent, alors que M.
Stafford affirme avoir été lésé par la décision du juge permettant à M me Stafford de toucher une part du produit de la vente de l’immeuble, il n’indique aucune dette résiduelle qui serait attribuable aux activités de l’entreprise d’épicerie. En fait, des dettes liées aux nouvelles entreprises de