2016 NBCA 29, 2016 NBCA 29
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK F.M. APPELLANT 1-15-CA F.M. APPELANT - and - - et - T.H. RESPONDENT T.H. INTIMÉE F.M. v. T.H., 2016 NBCA 29 F.M. c.
T.H., 2016 NBCA 29 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: December 8, 2014 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 8 décembre 2014 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: March 17, 2016 Judgment rendered: June 9, 2016 Appel entendu : le 17 mars 2016 Jugement rendu : le 9 juin 2016 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Michael R. Young T.H. appeared in person Motifs de jugement: l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Michael R. Young T.H. a comparu en personne THE COURT The appeal is allowed in part. There is no order for costs.
LA COUR Accueille l’appel en partie. Aucuns dépens ne sont attribués. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction and Background [ 1 ] A father appeals the decision of a motion judge to vary a previous court order concerning the payment of
child support, and the access and visitation of a child who was five years old. The issues before the motion judge were grounded in Rule37 of the Rules of Court, the Family Services Act, S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2 as amended, and ss. 3, 7 and 9 of the Federal Child SupportGuidelines, SOR-97/175 (Guidelines). [2] The father and the mother cohabited in a common law relationship during which time [I.] was born. When hewas four months of age, the parents separated. On April 29, 2010, a court order issued granting them the “joint legal custody” of thechild, however, his day-to-day care was entrusted to the mother. The
schedule of access and visitation was designed to accommodate thefather’s shift work. The access increased after the child’s second birthday. The father paid regular child support pursuant to s. 3 of theGuidelines based on his income at the time the court order was rendered. In addition, he was ordered to contribute toward “special”expenses that qualified for reimbursement pursuant to s. 7 of the Guidelines.
The original court order required these parents to exchangecopies of their income tax returns and Notices of Assessment on or before June 1 of each year. [3] The father failed to provide proof of his annual income despite having received requests for the informationfrom the mother and her legal counsel. On January 7, 2014, the mother filed a Notice of Motion requesting an order to vary the quantumof child support.
The father replied with a Notice of Motion in which he claimed a variation of the amount of child support to be paid onthe basis he and the mother had adopted a de facto shared custody arrangement following the issuance of the previous court order. Thefather submitted since he had the physical custody of the child for more than 40 per cent of the time, there should be a review of his childsupport obligation pursuant to s. 9 of the Guidelines.
He also asserted there were no child support arrears outstanding. [4] The motion judge rendered a decision in which she made findings concerning the financial and personalchanges both parents experienced following the issuance of the previous order. The motion judge framed the issues for determination asfollows: i. Is this a shared parenting arrangement and is [I.] currently in the care of [the father] for 40 percent of the time or more? ii. Should the current access
schedule arrangement and custody order be varied? iii. Is [the mother] entitled to [an] increase in child support, and if so, is this also on a retroactive basis? [5] From the submissions which were before the motion judge, I conclude the major issue in contention waswhether the parties had a shared parenting arrangement. Once that issue was resolved, the balance of the claims for relief, such as thequantum of retroactive child support, child support on an ongoing basis, and the parties’ respective contributions towards specialexpenses pursuant to s. 7 of the Guidelines could be decided.
The motion judge’s order concerning the payment of child support arrearshas been challenged by the father on the basis it was arbitrary. [6] For the following reasons I conclude the motion judge did not err in her analysis with respect to the custodyand the access of the child, nor in her assessment of child support pursuant to s. 3 of the Guidelines; however, I am persuaded the motionjudge’s order which dealt with s. 7 expenses was deficient.
I also agree with the father that once the motion judge determined there werechild support arrears outstanding, he was entitled to present financial information to assist the court in its determination of how theyshould be paid, and he was entitled to reasons which informed him how the motion judge calculated the monthly arrears payment. [7] My analysis is focused on the following questions:
i) Is the determination of whether a shared parentingarrangement exists limited to a calculation of access time?; ii) What information should be included in a court order which issuespursuant to s. 7 of the Guidelines?; and iii) On what rational basis should a motion judge determine the payment of arrears of childsupport? II. Standard of Review [8] The standard of review in matters concerning the custody of children, and orders for the payment of childsupport has been stated by this Court many times. The Supreme Court in Hickey v. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518,[1999] S.C.J.
No. 9 (QL), formulated the standard. A trial judge’s decision is owed deference unless he or she erred in principle, therewas a misapprehension of the evidence that rose to the palpable and overriding standard, or the award was clearly wrong. See T.D.L. v.A.-G.L., 2014 NBCA 57, 423 N.B.R. (2d) 359 at para. 22; B.P. v. A.T., 2014 NBCA 51, 423 N.B.R. (2d) 99, at para. 11. [9] In N.E.R. v. J.D.M., 2011 NBCA 57, 377 N.B.R. (2d) 147, the Court states:
Therefore, deference is owed to a motion judge's assessment of the evidence, determination of custody and all incidental terms.However, deference is not owed when reviewing a decision on a question of law, including what the proper criteria should be whendetermining whether a material change of circumstances has occurred, what the best interests of the child are or when the motion judgefails to give sufficient reasons for his or her decision. [para. 10] [10] The father bears the onus to satisfy this Court the motion judge erred in law, committed an error in principle,there was a significant misapprehension of the evidence, or the decision is clearly wrong.
III. Analysis A. Custody and Access [11] The motion judge observed the previous court order issued when [I.] was seventeen months old and sheacknowledged she had authority to vary it on the basis there had been material changes in the circumstances of both the parents and thechild since that time. Pursuant to ss. 129(2) and 129(3) of the Family Services Act, a court may vary prior orders with respect to thecustody and the access of children who are habitually resident in the Province of New Brunswick at the time the application wascommenced (s. 130(1)).
The reviewing court must first determine whether there has been a material change in the circumstances of aparent, or of a child who is the subject of the previous court order, which was not within the reasonable contemplation of the parties atthe time the prior court order was made. [12] In Willick v. Willick, (SCC), [1994] 3 S.C.R. 670, [1994] S.C.J. No. 94 (QL), the Supreme Court interprets the words material “change of circumstances” found in s. 17 of the Divorce Act, R.S.C., 1985, c. 3 (2nd Supp.) (Act), andoffers a framework for the analysis.
This framework is also applied in motions to vary which are filed pursuant to the Family ServicesAct. The ratio in Willick has become the starting point to determine whether a moving party has met the evidentiary threshold. Thethreshold is met if there is evidence of material changes in the personal and/or the financial circumstances of the parties, or the children,that postdate the previous order, and which were not within the reasonable contemplation of the parties at the time of the original courtorder (Willick, at para. 70; see also K.C.W.V. v. K.L.P., 2010 NBCA 70, 363 N.B.R.(2d) 351; N.E.R. v.
J.D.M.; S.L.B. v. P.J.O., 2013NBCA 52, 408 N.B.R. (2d) 235; Sangster v. Sangster, 2014 NBCA 14, 416 N.B.R. (2d) 397. [13] Thus, the moving party bears the onus to provide credible evidence of material change. In the case at bar, bothparents acknowledged there had been significant changes in their personal as well as their financial circumstances since 2010. Althoughparagraph 21 of the reasons briefly touched on the question of material change, in the overall context of the findings of fact, it is clear themotion judge found she had jurisdiction to vary the previous court order on that basis.
The appellant asserts once the motion judgedetermined the threshold had been met, she was obliged to conduct a “fresh inquiry” into the custodial care of the child relying onGordon v. Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 S.C.R. 27, [1996] S.C.J. No. 52 (QL), as authority for this assertion. AlthoughGordon was a decision concerning mobility, the Supreme Court states a two-part analysis should be undertaken in cases where a litigantseeks to vary the custody and access provisions of an order concerning the same child or children. In K.C.W.V. v.
K.L.P., the Court states: The first step is establishing a material change of circumstances of the child since the last custody order was made: Before the court can consider the merits of the application for variation, it must be satisfied there has been a material change in thecircumstances of the child since the last custody order was made. Section 17(5) provides that the court shall not vary a custody or accessorder absent a change in the "condition, means, needs or other circumstances of the child".
Accordingly, if the applicant is unable toshow the existence of a material change, the inquiry can go no farther: Wilson v. Grassick (1994), (SK CA), 2 R.F.L.(4th) 291 (Sask. C.A.). [para. 10] Next, McLachlin J. touches upon the factual foundation required to establish a material change: What suffices to establish a material change in the circumstances of the child? Change alone is not enough; the change must have alteredthe child’s needs or the ability of the parents to meet those needs in a fundamental way: Watson v. Watson (1991), (BC
SC), 35 R.F.L. (3d) 169 (B.C.S.C.). The question is whether the previous order might have been different had the circumstances nowexisting prevailed earlier: MacCallum v. MacCallum (1976), 30 R.F.L. 32 (P.E.I.S.C.). Moreover, the change should represent a distinctdeparture from what the court could reasonably have anticipated in making the previous order. "What the court is seeking to isolate arethose factors which were not likely to occur at the time the proceedings took place": J.G. McLeod, Child Custody Law and Practice(1992), at p. 11-5.
It follows that before entering on the merits of an application to vary a custody order the judge must be satisfied of: (1) a change in thecondition, means, needs or circumstances of the child and/or the ability of the parents to meet the needs of the child; (2) which materiallyaffects the child; and (3) which was either not foreseen or could not have been reasonably contemplated by the judge who made theinitial order. [paras. 12-13] The second step of McLachlin J.'s test is that of the best interests of the child. In C.M.B.E. v.
D.J.E., 2006 NBCA 88, 304 N.B.R. (2d)191, this Court made the following related observations: Pursuant to s. 17(5) of the Act a party seeking variation of a custody or access order must establish that "there has been a change in thecondition, means, needs or other circumstances of the child [...]" since the last custody or access order was made and that the variation isin the best interests of the children. In determining whether a change in circumstance has occurred a Court is not "precluded fromconsidering events which occurred prior to the last order". See Fullarton v.
Fullarton (1994), (NB KB), 152 N.B.R.(2d) 321, [1994] N.B.J. No. 323 (Athey J.) (QL). As we pointed out in D.G. v. H.F., [2006] N.B.J. No. 158 (QL), 2006 NBCA 36, the Supreme Court has instructed in Gordon v. Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 S.C.R. 27, [1996] S.C.J.
No. 52 (QL), that once the threshold of a material change in circumstances isfound on a variation application, then a fresh inquiry must be made into the best interests of the child and the focus of that inquiry is notthe interests or rights of the parents. [paras. 7-8]. [paras. 13-15] [14] In 2010, these parents were granted “joint legal custody” of [I.] In the father’s Notice of Motion to Vary, heasked for an order “stating that the physical custody of the child of the relationship is a shared parenting arrangement”.
As neither parentrequested custody of the child in their respective Notices of Motion, the motion judge correctly interpreted the father’s pleadings as arequest for a court order which acknowledged the parties had, in fact, already adopted a shared parenting arrangement, and child supportwould be assessed accordingly pursuant to s. 9 of the Guidelines. The father submits the motion judge failed to conduct a proper analysispursuant to s. 9, and the disposition is therefore wrong. [15]
Section 9 of the Guidelines states: Where a spouse exercises a right of access to,or has physical custody of, a child for not lessthan 40 per cent of the time over the course of ayear, the amount of the child support ordermust be determined by taking into account: (
a) the amounts set out in the applicable tablesfor each of the spouses; (
b) the increased costs of shared custodyarrangements; and (
c) the conditions, means, needs and othercircumstances of each spouse and of any childfor whom support is sought. Si un époux exerce son droit d’accès auprèsd’un enfant, ou en a la garde physique,pendant au moins 40 % du temps au coursd’une année, le montant de l’ordonnancealimentaire est déterminé compte tenu :
a) des montants figurant dans les tablesapplicables à l’égard de chaque époux;
b) des coûts plus élevés associés à la gardepartagée;
c) des ressources, des besoins et, d’unefaçon générale, de la situation de chaqueépoux et de tout enfant pour lequel unepension alimentaire est demandée.
[ 16 ] The motion judge found the father’s employment requires him to work four days “on” and four days “off” for an eight-day rotation. Beginning with his second day off work, he historically had the child in his care until 6:00 p.m. prior to his return to work the following day. The father submits the motion judge erred when she counted days, not hours, to support her conclusion his access time did not meet the 40 per cent threshold. He asserts as he has the child in his care for 40 per cent of the time, child support should be assessed on the basis of s. 9 (
a) of the Guidelines . He states further, the motion judge should have required both parties to complete appendices IV and V of their Financial Statements so the required analysis pursuant to ss. 9(
b) and (
c) of the Guidelines could have been undertaken. His
interpretation of the Guidelines is correct; however, I also conclude the motion judge’s finding that s. 9 of the Guidelines does not apply on the facts of this case was correct. In the reasons, the motion judge observes: In my view, this is not a shared custody arrangement both in terms of a mathematical approach to the time [I.] spends with each parent as well as from a “holistic” perspective. In K.M. v. S.M . 2011 N.B.J. No. 501 , Mr. Justice [Tuck] at paragraph [281] discusses the law surrounding the determination of time as follows: After reading the cases with respect to hours versus days etc.
I don't think I could say it better than Mr. Philip Epstein found in Family Law Newsletters January 18, 2011 -- Epstein's This Week in Family Law by Philip Epstein (
C) Thomson Reuters Canada Limited or its Licensors (excluding individual court documents). All rights reserved. […] [b.] We do not have a standard approach across Canada to what constitutes 40 per cent with some courts counting hours and some days, some overnights and some school time and some looking at it "holistically". When one couples that problem with the concern that a parent is either withholding access or seeking more access in order to either fit within
Section 9 or take oneself out of
Section 9 , one realizes that while the Guidelines have brought much predictability and stability to the awarding of child support, we still have a long way to go. […] [para. 28] [ 17 ] The determination whether a shared parenting arrangement exists requires more than a simple mathematical calculation of access time.
Issues such as who has the overall responsibility to arrange medical appointments, which parent has the responsibility to drive the children to their appointments, which parent has the primary decision-making responsibility to oversee a child’s health and welfare either at school, or elsewhere, and whether the parents are able to effectively communicate with each other on matters affecting their children, are critical considerations. This approach is in keeping with the reasons of Bastarache J. in Contino v. Leonelli-Contino , 2005 SCC 63 , [2005] 3 S.C.R. 217 .
The Supreme Court observes the analysis must consider the child rearing roles of the parents, in addition to the straight mathematical calculation of access time. The analysis pursuant to ss. 9 (
b) and (
c) of the Guidelines is undertaken only if the court finds the 40 per cent threshold has been met by the access parent. [ 18 ] Bastarache J. states in Contino : The framework of s. 9 requires a two-part determination: first, establishing that the 40 percent threshold has been met; and second, where it has been met, determining the appropriate amount of support. With respect to the second part of the determination, the litigious issue in the case at bar, courts across the country have struggled to develop an
interpretation of s. 9 that is consistent with the Guidelines ’ objectives. While the approaches vary widely, they can be divided in two categories. One approach, similar to the approach used by the motions judge, can be described as the “formulaic approach”. The other approach, which may be described as the “discretionary approach”, eschews the use of formulae. The specific language of s. 9 warrants emphasis on flexibility and fairness.
The discretion bestowed on courts to determine the child support amount in shared custody arrangement calls for the acknowledgment of the overall situation of the parents (conditions and means) and the needs of the children. The weight of each factor under s. 9 will vary according to the particular facts of each case. I will now consider each of the three s. 9 factors. [paras. 37- 39].
[19] Bastarache J. concludes his analysis with the following: The determination of an equitable division of the costs of support for children in shared custody situations is a difficult matter; it is notamenable to simple solutions. Any attempt to apply strict formulae will fail to recognize the reality of various families.
A contextualapproach which takes into account all three factors enunciated by Parliament in s. 9 of the Guidelines must be applied. [para. 82] [Emphasis added.] [20] Contino offers guidance with respect to the application of s. 9 of the Guidelines; however, there are differingopinions how access time should be calculated in order to meet the 40 per cent threshold. Litigation on this issue has resulted in varyingconclusions. Julien D. Payne and Marilyn A.
Payne in their text Canadian Family Law, 6th ed. (Toronto: Irwin Law, 2015) observe thereis no universally accepted method for counting the time children spend in each parent’s care (pp. 408-409). In some jurisdictions, accesstime is calculated by hours; in other jurisdictions it is by days, and in some, by the total number of access hours or days in a year. SeeDillon v. Dillon, 2005 NSCA 166, [2005] N.S.J. No. 548 (QL); Froom v. Froom, (ON CA), [2005] O.J. No. 507(C.A.) (QL); Mehling v. Mehling, 2008 MBCA 66, [2008] M.J. No. 172 (QL); Maultsaid v. Blair, 2009 BCCA 102, [2009] B.C.J. No.467 (QL); Boudreau v.
Marchand, 2012 NSCA 79; [2012] N.S.J. No.392 (QL). In Gosse v. Sorensen-Gosse, 2011 NLCA 58, [2011]N.J. No. 331 (QL), Wells J.A. states: “I would conclude that the basis for determination of the time frame against which to measure therequired percentage of custody would depend on the circumstances in each case, considered in the context of any compellingpracticalities” (para. 126). It is understandable that parents assume there will be a straight set-off applied in those situations where theybelieve a shared access arrangement exists, based on time only; however, as Contino states, this is the starting point.
The analysiscontinues from that reference point. [21] In the case at bar, the motion judge began her analysis with an accounting of the number of days each parenthad the child in his or her care. She then proceeded to examine the nature and the quality of the parenting relationships. The motionjudge observed these parents do not communicate well, and they do not have a good relationship. The quality of the relationship betweenparents is an important consideration when deciding under what circumstances a joint custody order is appropriate (see B.P. v. A.T., 2014NBCA 51, 423 N.B.R. (2d) 99; Roy v.
Roy, (ON CA), [2006] O.J. No. 1872 (QL); Giri v. Wentges, 2009 ONCA606, [2009] O.J. No. 5173 (QL) at para. 10; B.C. v. M.S., 2015 NBCA 46, 438 N.B.R. (2d) 155). A shared parenting relationship requiresparents to be flexible, and to interact with one another on all matters which affect their children in an open and a cooperative way. Themotion judge made the following observations: Firstly, [the father] has absolutely no responsibility for [the child] during his four working days.
This is sharply contrasted to [themother] who has responsibility for [the child] at all other times other than the two and a half out of each eight day cycle that he is withhis father. [the father] has no responsibility to organize child care for [the child] in the event he is sick or there is “no school […]. […] [the father] does not bear an equal share of the logistics of parenting […]. […] [the father’s] unwillingness to assist [the mother] when [the child] was sick and she was starting a new job is troubling. [the father]has not displayed a flexibility to respond to [the child’s]’s needs outside the “schedule”. […] [W]hen asked to help out that it was “notmy problem” as it was not [the father’s] day is also not indicative of a shared parenting approach. [paras. 24-26] [22] Once the motion judge concluded the parents do not share custody of the child, she varied the court order bygranting the father additional access time beginning after school on his first day off, or noon if on the weekend, until the start of schoolon the father’s last day off, at which point “[the child] will return to the [mother] after school or daycare, which will alleviate the needfor the [mother] to travel to pick up the [child]” (para. 32).
The access time was extended to 6:00 p.m. “should the last day of the[father’s] access fall on a weekend or a school holiday”. The motion judge found this additional access time still did not bring the fatherto the 40 per cent threshold, and she assessed child support based on his current income, applying the Guidelines tables for the Provinceof New Brunswick. She made the following observations: I accept the [mother’s] calculations that [I.] spends roughly 32% of his time with his [father].
Further, I accept the [mother’s] assessmentthat should the Court grant the [father] an extra night per 8-[day] rotation with [I.], his time will stay, not breach the 40% mark for thepurpose of
section 9 of the Child Support Guidelines. In my view, the impact of
section 9 and the child support arrangements have nobearing on the Court’s consideration of what is in [I.’s] best interests in terms of his
schedule between his parents. [para. 30]
[23] The father contends there was an “insufficiency of reasons” to support the motion judge’s conclusion he andthe mother do not have a shared parenting arrangement. See Van de Perre v. Edwards, 2001 SCC 60, [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014, which wasfollowed in P.R.H. v. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 N.B.R. (2d) 100, at paras. 10-13; N.E.R. v. J.D.M.; J.H. v. T.H., 2014 NBCA 52, 422N.B.R. (2d) 388, at para. 4; and Chiasson v. Doucet, 2014 NBCA 49, 422 N.B.R. (2d) 304.
In matters pertaining to the custody ofchildren, a trial judge must not only provide the rational basis for his or her decision, the reasons should reveal the pathway he or shetook to arrive at his or her conclusion; however, it is not necessary for a trial judge to minutely recite every fact. In B.C. v. M.S., 2015NBCA 46, 438 N.B.R. (2d) 155, the Court states: “[t]herefore, when crafting reasons in custody cases, a trial judge is expected to‘consider all relevant factors, but it would be unreasonable to require a judge to discuss every piece of evidence in his or her reasons’”(para. 20).
In the case at bar, the motion judge summarized the facts and the issues for determination, she accepted jurisdiction on thebasis of material change, she considered the relationship of the parties and their day-to-day responsibilities for the child’s care, and in heroverall
summary of the evidence, she provided the reasons to support her conclusion these parents do not have a shared parentingarrangement; therefore, s. 9 of the Guidelines does not apply. There was no submission before us contending the motion judgemisapprehended the evidence, or that she made a mathematical error. [24] The motion judge correctly observed her preoccupation was with the best interests of the child rather than withthe minutiae of access time calculations, and she formulated her access order on that basis.
The father inferred, in his submission, themotion judge varied the time of pick-up with the express intention to deny him the 40 per cent threshold. I disagree. The motion judgewas aware [I.] attends an afterschool program which he enjoys, and she crafted the order with his best interests in mind. As was stated bythe Supreme Court in Young v. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 S.C.R. 3; [1993] S.C.J. No. 112 (QL), the “best interests of thechild” is the sole criteria in custody and access decisions. This means that parental preferences and “rights” play no role and the test isbroad (see K.C.W.V. v. K.L.P.).
I would not interfere with the motion judge’s exercise of discretion, and I am unable to find fault with themotion judge’s analysis or conclusions. B. Retroactive Child Support [25] The motion judge found both parents provide for their child’s needs in their respective households. The fathersubmits the motion judge should have conducted the analysis set out in ss. 9(
b) and (
c) of the Guidelines on this basis. I disagree. Oncethe motion judge determined a shared parenting arrangement did not exist, any further analysis pursuant to s. 9 became redundant. Iparenthetically note that neither party completed appendices IV or V of their Financial Statements (their monthly expenses). Theappellant submits the motion judge should have adjourned the hearing to permit both parents the opportunity to complete their FinancialStatements.
This would have been appropriate, but only in the circumstance where there was a finding a shared parenting arrangementexisted. [26] Professor Rollie Thompson, in "Case Comment: Contino v. Leonelli-Contino" (2004), 42 R.F.L. (5th) 326,outlines the process a trial judge should follow for the s. 9 analysis once there is a finding the parents have a shared parentingarrangement.
In his view a trial judge is required to: i. determine the straight set-off amount; ii. review the child expense budgets; iii. consider the ability of each parent to bear the increased costs of shared custody and the standard of living for the children in eachhousehold; and iv. distinguish between initial orders or agreements, and variations. [27] Once the motion judge concluded s. 9 of the Guidelines did not apply, she assessed the father’s monthly childsupport obligation prospectively, and she ordered retroactive child support for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014 on the basis his incomehad increased during those years.
The father submits this was an error. He states, as he had their child in his care for at least 40 per centof the time, both retroactive as well as prospective child support should have been assessed in consideration of s. 9 of the Guidelines. Hesubmits further, as the mother did not request retroactive support in her pleadings, the court lacked the jurisdiction to make the order itdid. [28] In Druet v. Druet, 2002 NBCA 88, 253 N.B.R. (2d) 317, Drapeau J.A. (as he then was) found a trial judgecorrectly applied Rule 2.01 of the Rules of Court when he issued an order for spousal support in a divorce proceeding.
The wife had notfiled a counter-petition, and her claim for spousal support was raised only in her Answer (Form 72D). Writing for the Court, DrapeauJ.A. states:
We note that a counter-petition for spousal support is not an "originating process", as defined by Rule 1.04, and conclude that Ms.Druet's failure to advance her claim for spousal support by way of counter-petition is a procedural error that should be treated as a mereirregularity. See Ward v. Ward (1985), (NB KB), 66 N.B.R. (2d) 44 (Q.B., Deschênes J. as he then was) and CanadaPackers Poultry v. United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, Local 1183 (1990), (NB CA), 110N.B.R. (2d) 284 (C.A.).
In our view, that irregularity did not render the proceeding, namely the claim for spousal support, a nullity.Furthermore, it was in the interests of justice that Ms. Druet's "Answer" be acted upon by the trial judge as if it were a "counter-petition"within the meaning of Rule 72.10. It follows that Justice Riordon had the requisite jurisdiction to make the impugned spousal supportorder [para. 6]. [29] Was the father prejudiced, or was there procedural unfairness as a result of the mother’s failure to request anorder for retroactive child support in her Notice of Motion? Child support is the right of the child.
See D.B.S. v. S.R.G.; L.J.W. v. T.A.R.;Henry v. Henry; Hiemstra v. Hiemstra, 2006 SCC 37, [2006] 2 S.C.R. 231, at para. 104. A child’s entitlement to receive the statutoryamount of support due to him or to her should not be compromised, in the absence of a fatal procedural flaw which cannot be savedthrough the application of Rule 2.01 of the Rules of Court. The mother requested retroactive relief in her responding affidavit. On thisbasis I conclude the father was put on notice that retroactive child support was a live issue. The motion judge observed this in herreasons.
The previous court order required the father to provide his financial disclosure on an annual basis for the express purpose ofadjusting the child support payment annually.
Section 14 of the Guidelines states a change in income constitutes a change incircumstances that gives rise to a variation order with respect to child support. The father provided proof of his annual income only afterthe mother filed her motion to vary.
I have carefully reviewed the motion judge’s analysis with respect to retroactive child support, and Ifind it to be comprehensive. [30] The motion judge made the following findings: i. [the father] has the ability to pay; ii. [the father] was “fully aware” of his child support obligations and the requirement to increase his child support payments “inline” with his income, and he failed to do so; iii. [the father] attempted to resolve the issue; and iv. [the mother] had “always” expressed the intention she wanted to seek an increase in child support, and there was evidence shetried to do so as early as 2012. [31] The retroactive award is consistent with the Supreme Court’s direction in D.B.S.
There was no submissionbefore us the motion judge made a mathematical error in her assessment of retroactive child support. The prospective amount of childsupport was based on the Guidelines tables for the Province of New Brunswick. I see no reversible error in this regard. C.
Section 7 expenses [32] Although not specifically requested in her Notice of Motion, the motion judge observed the mother requested,in her responding affidavit, that both parents be required “to support [extracurricular activities], take the child to activities and contributeto activities”.
The father submits the motion judge erred in directing the appellant and the respondent to be responsible for 50 per cent ofspecial expenses, “without determination of the expenses that so qualified”, and in the absence of information concerning subsidies, thirdparty payments, or tax credits which might be available to the mother with respect to these expenses. [33] Paragraph 5 of the motion judge’s order states: Given the relative parity in the parties’ incomes, [the father] shall be responsible for 50 percent of special expenses, including child careexpenses, and [the mother] shall be responsible for 50 percent of special expenses, including child care expenses, on a go forward basis. [34] The father asserts the order does not reflect the wording set out in s. 7 of the Guidelines.
Section 7 describesthe types of expenses that qualify for reimbursement on a proportionate basis between parents. A determination of a parent’s income isthe starting point for the analysis.
Section 15 of the Guidelines states “a spouse’s annual income is determined by the court inaccordance with sections 16 to 20”. “Special” expenses that qualify for reimbursement are shared by the parents on a proportionate basis.Section 7(3) requires these expenses be shared “net” of any tax credits, tax deductions, and subsidies received by the parent in relation tothe expense. Section 7(1) of the Guidelines provides a list of the qualifying expenses. “Extraordinary” extracurricular expenses may beshared as well; however, they are qualified as set out in s. 7(1.1).
[ 35 ] Before us, the father agreed he has been paying his share of the extracurricular activities for the child other than for hockey. We were not asked to determine whether hockey qualifies as an “extraordinary” extracurricular expense so I will not comment further with respect to this expense. He further submits the court order did not specifically require reimbursement to be made “net” of third party payments, or subsidies received by either parent, including eligible tax credits.
He asserts the court order is deficient as it does not track the language of s. 7 of the Guidelines , and, as a result, it could be interpreted in a manner inconsistent with them. [ 36 ] The Guidelines set out the information to be included in a court order for child support. When there are expenses pursuant to s. 7 , the court order must include the particulars of the expense, the name of the child to whom it relates, the amount of the expense, or where the amount is undetermined, the proportions to be paid by each parent (s. 13(e)).
Section 7(3) of the Guidelines requires a court to take into consideration any “subsidies, benefits or income tax deductions or credits relating to the expense, and any eligibility to claim a subsidy, benefit or income tax deduction or credit relating to the expense”. The word “must” in s. 7(3) , signals a mandatory inclusion.
Section 13 (
e) of the Guidelines requires that when a child support order includes a payment pursuant to s. 7 of the Guidelines , it must include the following information: (
e) the particulars of any expense described in subsection 7(1), the child to whom the expense relates, and the amount of the expense or, where that amount cannot be determined, the proportion to be paid in relation to the expense[.]
e) le détail des dépenses visées au paragraphe 7(1), le nom de l’enfant auquel elles se rapportent et leur montant ou, si celui-ci ne peut être déterminé, la proportion à payer[.] [ 37 ] Taking the above into consideration, I conclude paragraph 5 of the motion judge’s order does not comply with s. 7 of the Guidelines . Pursuant to Rule 1.02.1 of the Rules of Court (proportionality), this Court has the authority to make the order that should have been made in the first instance. See J.H. v. T.H . ; Leger v. Fredericton Exhibition Ltd. , 2015 NBCA 20 , 434 N.B.R. (2d) 186 , at para. 19 .
Paragraph 5 of the motion judge’s order shall be substituted with the following wording: The [father’s] income is assessed at $76,836 for the purposes of this order, and the [mother’s] income is assessed at $68,222. The special expenses for [I.] that qualify for reimbursement as set out in s. 7(1) of the Federal Child Support Guidelines , shall be shared between the parents in shares that are proportionate to their respective incomes at the time, net of any third party subsidies, tax credits and tax deductions.
Those “extraordinary” extra-curricular expenses for [I.] the parents shared at the time of this order shall continue to be shared on the same basis as above. For the purposes of this order, the proportionate shares are assessed at 52 per cent for the [father] and 48 per cent for the [mother]. The parent seeking reimbursement shall provide proof of payment to the other parent within 30 days of the date the expense was incurred, along with the confirmed amount of any tax credit, tax deduction, or subsidy, he or she has received, or will receive in any given taxation year, in relation to the expense.
The other parent shall reimburse his or her proportionate share of the expense within 30 days thereafter. IV. Arrears of Child Support [ 38 ] The authority to vary a child support order either retroactively or prospectively is set out in s. 118 of the Family Services Act . 118(1) Where an order for support has been made in respect of a dependent who is neither a child nor a child at or over the age of majority and the court is satisfied that (
a) there has been a material change in the circumstances of the dependent or the respondent, (
b) evidence has become available that was not available on the previous hearing, or 118(1) Lorsqu’une ordonnance de soutien a été rendue relativement à une personne à charge qui n’est pas un enfant ou qui n’est pas un enfant majeur et que la cour est convaincue
a) que la situation de la personne à charge ou du défendeur a considérablement changé,
b) qu’une preuve non disponible à la précédente audience peut maintenant être produite, ou
(
c) the conduct of the dependent has unreasonably prolonged or aggravated the need for support, the court may, upon the application of any person named in the order or referred to in subsection 115(3), discharge, vary or suspend any term of the order, prospectively or retroactively, relieve the respondent from the payment of part or all of the arrears or any interest due thereon and make such order under
section 116 as the court considers appropriate in the circumstances referred to in subsection 115(6). 118(2)Where an order for child support or an order for the support of a child at or over the age of majority has been made and the court is satisfied that a change of circumstances as provided for in the regulations respecting orders for child support has occurred since the making of the order under subsection 115(1) or since the making of the last order under this section, if any, in respect of the support of a child or a child at or over the age of majority, the court may, upon the application of any person named in the order or referred to in subsection 115(3) and subject to paragraph 113(2)( b ), subsections 115(1.1) to (1.6) and the regulations respecting orders for child support, as the case may be, (
a) discharge, vary or suspend any term of the order, prospectively or retroactively, (
b) relieve the respondent from the payment of part or all of the arrears or any interest due thereon, and (
c) make any order for child support or any order for the support of a child at or over the age of majority that the court could make on an application under
section 115 for the support of a dependant who is a child or a child at or over the age of majority.
c) que la conduite de la personne à charge a prolongé ou accentué déraisonnablement le besoin de soutien, elle peut, à la demande d’une personne nommée dans l’ordonnance ou visée au paragraphe 115(3), révoquer, modifier ou suspendre, pour l’avenir ou à
titre rétroactif, toute condition énoncée dans l’ordonnance, dégager le défendeur du paiement de tout ou
partie des arriérés ou des intérêts moratoires y afférents et, en application de l’article 116, rendre toute autre ordonnance qu’elle juge opportune dans les situations visées au paragraphe 115(6). 118(2) Lorsqu’une ordonnance de soutien pour enfant ou pour enfant majeur a été rendue et que la cour est convaincue qu’un changement de situation prévu aux règlements concernant les ordonnances de soutien pour enfant s’est produit depuis qu’elle a rendu l’ordonnance en vertu du paragraphe 115(1) ou la dernière ordonnance en vertu du présent article, le cas échéant, relativement au soutien de l’enfant ou de l’enfant majeur, la cour peut, à la demande de toute personne nommée dans l’ordonnance ou visée par le paragraphe 115(3) et sous réserve de l’alinéa 113(2) b ), des paragraphes 115(1.1) à (1.6) et des règlements concernant les ordonnances de soutien pour enfant, selon le cas,
a) révoquer, modifier ou suspendre toute condition énoncée dans l’ordonnance, pour l’avenir ou à
titre rétroactif,
b) dégager le défendeur du paiement de tout ou
partie des arriérés ou des intérêts moratoires y afférents, et
c) rendre toute ordonnance de soutien pour enfant ou pour enfant majeur que la cour pourrait rendre lorsqu’elle est saisie d’une demande en application de l’article 115 pour le soutien d’une personne à charge qui est un enfant ou qui est un enfant majeur. [ 39 ] As stated, the motion judge had the authority to assess arrears of child support and to make an order with respect to the payment of those arrears.
She assessed the arrears of child support for the years 2012, 2013, and 2014 and she determined there were outstanding child support arrears of $8,578, subject, perhaps, to an adjustment for an “overpayment of childcare expenses in 2014”. The analysis stopped at that point, until the concluding paragraph in the reasons, when the motion judge ordered the father to discharge the arrears at a rate of $714.83 monthly, with no explanation as to how she determined the monthly payment.
The motion judge’s order required the father to make global monthly payments of $1,385.83, which was a combination of the regular amount of child support assessed pursuant to s. 3 of the Guidelines , and the arrears payment. The reasons did not inform us how the motion judge calculated the monthly payment towards the arrears, or the effect this payment would have on the father’s ability to meet his monthly commitments. [ 40 ] As previously observed, Appendices IV and V of the father’s Financial Statement were not completed;
therefore the court did not have financial information concerning his monthly expenses. The mother did not complete the sameAppendices, so there was no information before the motion judge concerning her monthly expenses either. [41] In Brown v. Brown, 2010 NBCA 5, 353 N.B.R. (2d) 323, the payor spouse requested remission of child supportarrears on the basis his income had diminished following the issuance of the prior order. Although the analysis was focused on an issuedifferent from that in the case at bar, the Court observes compliance with a request for financial disclosure is a factor a court shouldconsider.
In Gray v. Rizzi, 2016 ONCA 152, [2016] O.J. No. 958 (QL), the Court reiterates: This obligation to disclose and negotiate with the recipient parent is ongoing, so that the recipient can assess and react to changes in thepayor’s financial situation. A payor’s failure to comply with his continuing notice and financial disclosure obligations most likely willimpact the remedy which the court crafts. [para. 63] Litigants who fail to comply with their financial disclosure obligations do so at their peril (see Kay v. Kay (1999), (NB CA), 215 N.B.R. (2d) 291, [1999] N.B.J.
No. 289 (C.A.) (QL), per Drapeau J.A. (as he then was), writing for the Court; and Nobleand O’Brien v. Arsenault and Arsenault, 2014 NBCA 39, 420 N.B.R. (2d) 133). As noted, not only was there a court-ordered obligationon both parents to share their income information annually, the Guidelines mandate disclosure following a demand for same by eitherparent.
The remedies within the perview of a motion judge for the failure to comply with a court order requiring financial disclosureinclude the striking of pleadings, contempt, the imputation of income and costs (s. 24 of the Guidelines). [42] Prior to making an order for the payment of child support arrears, a court generally has the completed FinancialStatement of the payor parent. The Financial Statement allows for a detailed analysis concerning the ability to pay the arrears. In Brown,although the reasons were focused on the enforcement process, they are instructive on this point.
When a court assesses arrears, thedetermination of how they are to be paid flows from the financial disclosure. [43] Once the motion judge determined the child support arrears, the father should have been given the opportunity tomake representations concerning his monthly expenses, and to propose a plan for payment. He was entitled to present evidence of hiscapacity to pay, and he was entitled to a rational explanation as to how the motion judge arrived at her conclusion.
The insufficiency ofreasons in this regard constitutes an error in the motion judge’s disposition. [44] I would remit that portion of the motion judge’s decision for determination. I recognize this may be moot,however, given the period of time since the issuance of the order. V. Disposition [45] The appeal is allowed in part. Paragraph 5 of the motion judge’s order is set aside and is substituted as statedabove. The portion of the motion judge’s decision concerning the payment of child support arrears is remitted for determination. In allother respects, the motion judge’s decision is upheld. VI.
Costs [46] The father was represented by legal counsel, and the mother was self-represented. In MacLellan v. MacLellan,2001 NBCA 82, [2001] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 58, Larlee J.A. writing for the Court upheld a trial judge’s decision to not order costs onthe basis the results were mixed (para. 15 and 16). For the same reasons, I order no costs. ___________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. WE CONCUR:
___________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. ___________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction et contexte [1] Un père appelle de la décision qu’une juge a rendue sur les motions dont elle était saisie, décision par laquelle elle a modifié une ordonnance antérieure prononcée en matière d’aliments, d’accès et de visite, relativement à un enfant qui était âgé de cinq ans. Les questions en litige relevaient de la règle 37 des Règles de procédure , de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2, dans sa version modifiée, et des art. 3 , 7 et 9 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 ( Lignes directrices ). [2] Le père et la mère cohabitaient en union de fait lorsque [I.] est né. Il était âgé de quatre mois quand ils se sont séparés. Le 29 avril 2010, une ordonnance est venue prescrire la « garde juridique » conjointe de l’enfant, mais la charge, au quotidien, en était confiée à la mère. Le calendrier d’accès et de visite était élaboré en fonction du travail par postes du père.
L’accès a augmenté après le deuxième anniversaire de l’enfant. Le père était tenu de verser, pour [I.], une pension alimentaire établie en conformité avec l’art. 3 des Lignes directrices , d’après le revenu qu’il gagnait à l’époque de l’ordonnance. Il lui était également ordonné de contribuer aux dépenses « spéciales » remboursables par application de l’art. 7 des Lignes directrices.
L’ordonnance originale exigeait des parents qu’ils échangent chaque année, au plus tard le 1 er juin, des copies de leurs déclarations de revenus et de leurs avis de cotisation. [3] Le père n’a pas produit d’attestation de son revenu annuel, en dépit de demandes, reçues de la mère comme de l’avocate qui occupait pour elle, lui réclamant ce renseignement. Le 7 janvier 2014, la mère a déposé un avis de motion; elle sollicitait de la Cour une ordonnance modifiant le montant des aliments pour enfant.
En réponse, le père a déposé un avis de motion; il demandait une modification du montant des aliments pour enfant qui prendrait en considération que la mère et lui avaient adopté de facto un arrangement de garde partagée après le dépôt de l’ordonnance antérieure. Le père soutenait que, parce qu’il avait la garde physique d’[I.] plus de 40 p. 100 du temps, son obligation alimentaire envers l’enfant devait être établie suivant l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices .
Il affirmait également qu’il n’y avait nul arriéré des aliments pour enfant. [4] Dans sa décision, la juge saisie des motions est arrivée à des conclusions sur les changements d’ordre financier et personnel connus par chacun des parents après la formulation de l’ordonnance antérieure. Elle a arrêté que les questions à trancher étaient les suivantes : i. S’agit-il d’un arrangement de parentage partagé et [le père] a-t-il actuellement la charge d’[I.] 40 p. 100 du temps ou plus? ii.
L’arrangement d’accès et l’ordonnance de garde actuels doivent-ils être modifiés? iii. [La mère] a-t-elle droit à [une] augmentation des aliments pour enfant? Le cas échéant, y a-t-elle aussi droit à
titre rétroactif? [5] Vu les arguments qui étaient présentés à la juge, je conclus que la question essentielle était celle de savoir si les parties avaient un arrangement de parentage partagé. Cette question tranchée, il était possible de rendre une décision
sur le reste des demandes, par exemple de statuer sur le montant d’une ordonnance alimentaire rétroactive au profit de l’enfant, sur lesaliments à venir et sur les contributions respectives des parties aux dépenses spéciales visées à l’art. 7 des Lignes directrices.L’ordonnance prononcée par la juge saisie des motions relativement au paiement de l’arriéré des aliments pour enfant est contestée par lepère, qui soutient qu’elle était arbitraire. [6] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je conclus que la juge saisie des motions n’a commis d’erreur nidans l’analyse menée au
chapitre de la garde et de l’accès ni dans l’établissement des aliments pour enfant en application de l’art. 3 desLignes directrices; je suis toutefois persuadée que l’ordonnance de la juge, au
chapitre des dépenses visées à l’art. 7, est défectueuse. Jeconviens également avec le père que, une fois l’arriéré des aliments pour enfant constaté par la juge, il était en droit de présenter desrenseignements financiers pour aider la Cour à déterminer comment cet arriéré serait acquitté et il avait droit à des motifs l’informant dela façon dont la juge avait calculé les mensualités de son remboursement. [7] Mon analyse s’attache à répondre aux questions suivantes :
i) Déterminer s’il existe unarrangement de parentage partagé se limite-t-il à calculer le temps d’accès? ii) Quels renseignements convient-il d’inclure dans uneordonnance rendue en application de l’art. 7 des Lignes directrices? iii) Sur quel fondement rationnel un juge saisi d’une motion doit-ilasseoir la décision qu’il rend sur le paiement d’un arriéré des aliments pour enfant? II. Norme de contrôle [8] Notre Cour a énoncé maintes fois la norme de contrôle que font intervenir les affaires de garded’enfant et les ordonnances alimentaires prononcées au profit d’un enfant.
La Cour suprême a formulé la norme dans Hickey c. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL). La décision du juge de première instance appelle à la déférence,à moins que le juge ait commis une erreur de principe, qu’une erreur apparaisse, dans l’interprétation de la preuve, qui satisfait à lanorme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante, ou que la décision soit manifestement erronée (T.D.L. c. A.-G.L., 2014 NBCA 57, 423 R.N.- B. (2e) 359, par. 22; B.P. c. A.T., 2014 NBCA 51, 423 R.N.-B. (2e) 99, par. 11). [9] Dans N.E.R. c.
J.D.M., 2011 NBCA 57, 377 R.N.-B. (2e) 147, la Cour a déclaré ce qui suit : Il y a donc lieu de faire preuve de déférence envers la façon dont le juge saisi d’une motion a apprécié la preuve et dont il a déterminé lesdroits de garde et fixé toutes les modalités et conditions accessoires.
Toutefois, nous ne sommes pas tenus à la déférence lorsqu’il s’agitde réviser une décision sur une question de droit, notamment celle de savoir quels devraient être les critères applicables aux fins dedéterminer si un changement de situation important est survenu, en quoi consiste l’intérêt de l’enfant ou à quel moment le juge saisi de lamotion omet de motiver suffisamment sa décision. [par. 10] [10] Le fardeau revient au père de convaincre la Cour que la juge saisie des motions a commis uneerreur de droit, qu’elle a commis une erreur de principe, qu’une erreur significative a été commise dans l’interprétation de la preuve ouque la décision est manifestement erronée.
III. Analyse A. Garde et accès (droit de visite) [11] La juge saisie des motions a noté qu’[I.] était âgé de dix-sept mois lorsque l’ordonnanceantérieure avait été rendue. Elle a conclu qu’elle était habilitée à modifier cette ordonnance, du fait que des changements importantsétaient survenus, depuis, dans les situations des parents et de l’enfant. En vertu des par. 129(2) et 129(3) de la
Loi sur les services à lafamille, une cour peut modifier une ordonnance attributive de la garde et de droits de visite quant à des enfants qui sont habituellementrésidents du Nouveau-Brunswick au moment de l’introduction de la demande (par. 130(1)). La cour de révision doit d’abord déterminersi la situation d’un parent, ou d’un enfant visé par l’ordonnance antérieure, a connu un changement important que les parties nepouvaient raisonnablement prévoir au moment où l’ordonnance a été rendue. [12] Dans Willick c. Willick, (SCC), [1994] 3 R.C.S. 670, [1994] A.C.S. no 94 (QL),la Cour suprême a interprété les mots « changement [important] de situation », qui émanent de l’art. 17 de la
Loi sur le divorce,
S.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2e suppl.), et proposé un cadre d’analyse. Ce cadre demeure applicable s’il s’agit de motions en modificationdéposées sous le régime de la
Loi sur les services à la famille. La ratio decidendi de l’arrêt Willick sert de point de départ au tribunal quidétermine si l’auteur d’une motion a satisfait au critère préliminaire imposé en matière de preuve. Le critère préliminaire est rempli sides éléments de preuve indiquent que des changements importants se sont produits dans la situation personnelle ou financière des parties,ou des enfants, qui sont postérieurs à l’ordonnance originale et que les parties ne pouvaient raisonnablement prévoir à l’époque où cette ordonnance a été prononcée (Willick, par. 70; voir aussi K.C.W.V. c.
K.L.P., 2010 NBCA 70, 363 R.N.-B. (2e) 351; N.E.R. c. J.D.M.; S.L.B. c. P.J.O., 2013 NBCA 52, 408 R.N.-B. (2e) 235; Sangster c. Sangster, 2014 NBCA 14, 416 R.N.-B. (2e) 397). [13] L’auteur de la motion a donc le fardeau de présenter une preuve de changement important quisoit crédible. En l’espèce, le père et la mère ont reconnu l’un et l’autre que des changements appréciables étaient survenus, depuis 2010,dans leurs situations personnelle et financière.
La question du changement important n’est abordée que brièvement au par. 21 des motifsde la juge, mais il est clair, dans le contexte général de ses conclusions de fait, qu’il lui est apparu qu’elle avait compétence pourmodifier l’ordonnance antérieure sur le fondement d’un changement de cet ordre. L’appelant avance que la juge saisie des motionsdevait, dès lors qu’elle avait conclu que le critère préliminaire était rempli, « de nouveau déterminer » quels soins de garde ordonnerpour l’enfant. Il invoque pour précédent, à l’appui de cette assertion, Gordon c.
Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 R.C.S. 27, [1996] A.C.S. no 52 (QL). Quoique Gordon ait porté sur la mobilité des parents, la Cour suprême y a indiqué qu’une analyse en deuxparties doit être entreprise lorsqu’un plaideur demande la modification des dispositions de garde et d’accès d’une ordonnance visant leou les mêmes enfants. Dans K.C.W.V. c.
K.L.P., notre Cour a écrit ce qui suit : La première étape consiste à établir qu’un changement important est survenu quant à la situation de l’enfant depuis le prononcé de ladernière ordonnance de garde : Avant d’examiner le bien-fondé de la requête en modification, le tribunal doit s’assurer qu’il est survenu un changement important dansla situation de l’enfant depuis le prononcé de la dernière ordonnance de garde.
Aux termes du par. 17(5), le tribunal ne modifiel’ordonnance de garde ou d’accès que s’il est survenu un changement dans les « ressources, les besoins ou, d’une façon générale, dans lasituation de l’enfant ». Aussi l’analyse prendra-t-elle fin à cette étape si le requérant ne réussit pas à établir l’existence d’un changementimportant : Wilson c. Grassick (1994), (SK CA), 2 R.F.L. (4th) 291 (C.A. Sask.). [par. 10] Par la suite, la juge McLachlin a traité du fondement factuel nécessaire pour établir un changement important : Quand aura-t-on établi un changement important dans la situation de l’enfant?
Le changement seul ne suffit pas; il doit avoir modifiéfondamentalement les besoins de l’enfant ou la capacité des parents d’y pourvoir : Watson c. Watson (1991), (BC SC),35 R.F.L. (3d) 169 (C.S.C.-B.). La question est de savoir si l’ordonnance antérieure aurait pu être différente si la situation actuelle avaitalors existé : MacCallum c. MacCallum (1976), 30 R.F.L. 32 (C.S.Î-P.-É.).
En outre, le changement doit refléter une situation nettementdifférente de ce que le tribunal pouvait raisonnablement prévoir lorsqu’il a rendu la première ordonnance. [TRADUCTION] « Letribunal cherche à dégager les facteurs qui n’étaient pas susceptibles de se produire au moment de la procédure » : J. G. McLeod, ChildCustody Law and Practice (1992), à la p. 11-5.
Il s’ensuit qu’avant de se pencher sur le bien-fondé d’une requête en modification d’une ordonnance de garde, le juge doit êtreconvaincu de trois choses : (1) un changement est survenu dans les ressources, les besoins ou, d’une façon générale, dans la situation del’enfant ou la capacité des parents de pourvoir à ses besoins; (2) ce changement doit toucher l’enfant de façon importante; et (3) il doit nepas avoir été prévu ou ne pouvoir raisonnablement l’avoir été par le juge qui a prononcé l’ordonnance initiale. [par. 12 et 13] Le deuxième volet du critère établi par la juge McLachlin se rapporte à l’intérêt de l’enfant.
Dans l’affaire C.M.B.E. c. D.J.E., 2006 NBCA 88, 304 R.N.-B. (2e) 191, notre Cour a ajouté les observations suivantes : Conformément au paragraphe 17(5) de la
Loi sur le divorce, la
partie qui sollicite la modification d’une ordonnance relative à la gardeou à l’accès doit établir qu’« il est survenu un changement dans les ressources, les besoins ou, d’une façon générale, dans la situation del’enfant [...] » depuis le prononcé de la dernière ordonnance de garde ou ordonnance relative à l’accès et que la modification demandéeest dans l’intérêt de l’enfant. Lorsqu’il statue sur le changement de circonstances, le tribunal [TRADUCTION] « n’est pas préclusd’examiner les événements survenus avant la dernière ordonnance ». Voir la décision Fullarton c.
Fullarton, (NB KB), [1994] A.N.-B. no 323, 152 R.N.-B. (2e) 321 […] (la juge Athey). Comme nous l’avons souligné dans l’arrêt D.G. c. H.F., [2006] A.N.-B. no 158 (QL), 2006 NBCA 36, la Cour suprême a précisé, dans
l’arrêt Gordon c. Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 R.C.S. 27, [1996] A.C.S. no 52, […] que dès lors que le tribunal conclut,dans le cadre d’une requête en modification, qu’il est survenu un changement important de la situation, il doit à nouveau déterminerl’intérêt de l’enfant, l’accent n’étant pas mis sur l’intérêt et les droits des parents. [par. 7 et 8] [par. 13 à 15] [14] En 2010, les parents se sont vu accorder la « garde juridique conjointe » d’[I.].
La motion enmodification dont le père a donné avis demandait une ordonnance qui déclarerait ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « [L]a garde physique del’enfant né de l’union correspond à un arrangement de parentage partagé ». Les parents n’ayant demandé ni l’un ni l’autre la garde dansleurs avis de motion, la juge a correctement interprété la plaidoirie du père comme la sollicitation d’une ordonnance constatant que lesparties avaient déjà adopté, de fait, un arrangement de parentage partagé, et indiquant que les aliments pour enfant seraient établis, enconséquence, d’après l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices.
Le père soutient que la juge saisie des motions n’a pas procédé à l’analyse querequérait l’art. 9, et que la décision est mal fondée. [15]
Article 9 des Lignes directrices : Where a spouse exercises a right of access to,or has physical custody of, a child for not lessthan 40 per cent of the time over the course of ayear, the amount of the child support ordermust be determined by taking into account (
a) the amounts set out in the applicabletables for each of the spouses; (
b) the increased costs of shared custodyarrangements; and (
c) the conditions, means, needs and othercircumstances of each spouse and of any childfor whom support is sought. Si un époux exerce son droit d’accès auprèsd’un enfant, ou en a la garde physique,pendant au moins 40 % du temps au coursd’une année, le montant de l’ordonnancealimentaire est déterminé compte tenu :
a) des montants figurant dans les tablesapplicables à l’égard de chaque époux;
b) des coûts plus élevés associés à la gardepartagée;
c) des ressources, des besoins et, d’unefaçon générale, de la situation de chaqueépoux et de tout enfant pour lequel unepension alimentaire est demandée. [16] La juge saisie des motions a conclu que l’emploi du père lui imposait un cycle de huit joursréparti en quatre jours de travail et quatre jours de congé. Au cours des années précédentes, le père avait reçu l’enfant le deuxième jourde son congé, et il en avait eu la charge jusqu’à 18 h la veille de son retour au travail.
Il soutient que la juge a commis une erreurlorsqu’elle a fondé sur un calcul du nombre de jours, et non d’heures, sa conclusion que le temps d’accès n’atteignait pas le seuil de40 p. 100. Il affirme que, puisqu’il a la charge de l’enfant 40 p. 100 du temps, les aliments pour enfant doivent être établis d’aprèsl’al. 9a) des Lignes directrices. Il affirme également que la juge aurait dû obliger les deux parties à remplir les annexes IV et V de leursétats financiers, afin qu’une analyse fondée sur les al. 9b) et
c) des Lignes directrices puisse être entreprise. Son interprétation des Lignesdirectrices est correcte; je conclus toutefois qu’est correcte, de même, la conclusion de la juge que, vu les faits de l’espèce, l’art. 9 desLignes directrices ne s’applique pas. Dans ses motifs, la juge saisie des motions a indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]À mon sens, qu’on applique une démarche mathématique face au temps passé par [I.] avec chacun de ses parents ou qu’on adopte une perspective « globale », il ne s’agit pas ici d’un arrangement de garde partagée. Au par. 281 de K.M. c.
S.M., [2011] A.N.-B. no 501, lejuge [Tuck] se penche sur le droit applicable à la détermination du temps : [TRADUCTION]J’ai lu la jurisprudence, en ce qui concerne le choix entre heures et jours, etc., et je ne crois pas pouvoir mieux m’exprimer, sur ce point, que ne le fait Me Philip Epstein dans l’édition du 18 janvier 2011 de Family Law Newsletters (Epstein’s This Week in Family Law,© Thomson Reuters Canada Limited ou ses donneurs de licence (documents judiciaires exceptés), tous droits réservés) : [TRADUCTION]
[…] b. Au Canada, la conception de ce en quoi consistent les 40 p. 100 n’est pas uniforme : certains tribunaux comptent les heures,d’autres les jours; certains comptent les nuits passées chez le parent, d’autres le temps passé à l’école; d’autres, enfin, jugent la questiond’un point de vue « global ».
Si l’on ajoute à cette difficulté la possibilité qu’un parent restreigne l’accès ou tâche de l’accroître dans lebut de se soustraire à l’art. 9 ou de s’en prévaloir, force est d’admettre que, bien que les Lignes directrices aient apporté une prévisibilitéet une stabilité considérables à l’octroi des aliments pour enfant, beaucoup reste à faire. [. . .] [par. 28] [17] Déterminer si les parents ont un arrangement de parentage partagé exige plus qu’un simplecalcul mathématique du temps d’accès. D’autres considérations sont capitales, par exemple : Qui se charge en général de prendre desrendez-vous chez le médecin?
Lequel des parents se charge de conduire les enfants à leurs rendez-vous? Auquel des parents revient lacharge première des décisions à prendre pour ce qui est de la santé et du bien-être de l’enfant, que ce soit à l’école ou ailleurs? Lesparents sont-ils en mesure de communiquer efficacement l’un avec l’autre sur ce qui touche leurs enfants? Cette façon d’aborder laquestion s’accorde avec les motifs donnés par le juge Bastarache dans Contino c.
Leonelli-Contino, 2005 CSC 63, [2005] 3 R.C.S. 217.La Cour suprême y fait observer que l’analyse doit prendre en considération le rôle des parents dans l’éducation de l’enfant, en plus dustrict calcul mathématique du temps d’accès. L’analyse voulue par les al. 9b) et
c) des Lignes directrices n’est entreprise que si la courconclut que le seuil de 40 p. 100 est atteint par le parent ayant l’accès. [18] Le juge Bastarache a écrit, dans Contino : L’article 9 commande une démarche en deux étapes : (1) déterminer si le seuil de 40 p. 100 est atteint, puis, le cas échéant, (2) établir lemontant de la pension alimentaire qui convient. En ce qui concerne la deuxième étape, qui fait l’objet du litige en l’espèce, les tribunaux canadiens se sont efforcés d’interpréter l’art. 9d’une manière compatible avec les objectifs des lignes directrices.
Les méthodes employées varient considérablement, mais elles sont dedeux ordres : celles, apparentées à la méthode utilisée par la juge des requêtes, qui reposent sur l’application d’une formule, et celles quicomportent l’exercice d’un pouvoir « discrétionnaire » et excluent l’emploi d’une formule. Le libellé de l’art. 9 justifie l’accent mis sur la souplesse et l’équité.
Le pouvoir discrétionnaire conféré au tribunal pour la déterminationdu montant de l’ordonnance alimentaire dans le cas d’une garde partagée exige que l’on tienne compte de la situation globale des parents(ressources et besoins) et des besoins de l’enfant. L’importance accordée à chacun des facteurs de l’art. 9 variera selon les faits del’espèce. Je vais maintenant examiner chacun des trois facteurs. [par. 37 à 39] [19] Il a conclu son analyse ainsi : La répartition équitable des dépenses de l’enfant dans le contexte d’une garde partagée est une tâche difficile; il n’y a pas de solutionssimples.
L’application de formules strictes ne permet pas l’adaptation aux divers profils familiaux. Il faut appliquer une analysecontextuelle qui tient compte des trois facteurs énoncés par le législateur à l’art. 9 des lignes directrices. [par. 82] [Je souligne.] [20] L’arrêt Contino peut nous éclairer pour ce qui est de l’application de l’art. 9 des Lignesdirectrices; des opinions divergentes existent, cependant, sur la façon de calculer le temps d’accès pour que le seuil de 40 p. 100 soitatteint. Les poursuites, sur ce point, se sont soldées par des conclusions diverses. Julien D. Payne et Marilyn A.
Payne, dans leur ouvrage intitulé Canadian Family Law (6e éd., Toronto, Irwin Law, 2015), font observer qu’il n’existe pas de méthode universellement admisepour le calcul du temps passé par les enfants à la charge de chacun des parents (p. 408 et 409). Dans certains ressorts, le temps d’accès secalcule en heures; dans certains autres, en jours. Dans certains, encore, il correspond au total annuel des jours ou des heures d’accès. Onpourra se reporter à Dillon c. Dillon, 2005 NSCA 166, [2005] N.S.J. No. 548 (QL); Froom c. Froom, (ON CA),[2005] O.J. No. 507 (C.A.) (QL); Mehling c. Mehling, 2008 MBCA 66, [2008] M.J.
No. 172 (QL); Maultsaid c. Blair, 2009 BCCA 102,[2009] B.C.J. No. 467 (QL); Boudreau c. Marchand, 2012 NSCA 79; [2012] N.S.J. No. 392 (QL). Dans l’arrêt Gosse c. Sorensen-Gosse,2011 NLCA 58, [2011] N.J. No. 331 (QL), le juge Wells a écrit : [TRADUCTION] « Il m’apparaît que la façon de délimiter la périodepar rapport à laquelle on doit établir si le pourcentage de garde requis est atteint dépend chaque fois des circonstances, examinées en
tenant compte, le cas échéant, d’impératifs pratiques » (par. 126). Il est naturel que des parents présument, lorsqu’ils croient qu’unarrangement d’accès partagé a été adopté, que la cour appliquera une compensation simple, d’après le temps seulement; cependant,comme le précise Contino, il s’agit d’un point de départ. Ce point de référence arrêté, l’analyse se poursuit. [21] En l’espèce, l’analyse a commencé par un calcul du nombre de jours au cours desquels chacundes parents avait la charge de l’enfant.
La juge saisie des motions a ensuite examiné la nature et la qualité des relations de parentage.Elle a constaté que les communications des parents, de même que leur relation, sont difficiles. La qualité de la relation des parentsreprésente une considération importante, pour ce qui est de décider des circonstances dans lesquelles une ordonnance de garde conjointe est appropriée (B.P. c. A.T., 2014 NBCA 51, 423 R.N.-B. (2e) 99; Roy c. Roy, (ON CA), [2006] O.J. No. 1872 (QL); Giri c. Wentges, 2009 ONCA 606, [2009] O.J. No. 5173 (QL), par. 10; B.C. c. M.S., 2015 NBCA 46, 438 R.N.-B. (2e) 155).
Une relationde parentage partagé exige, de la part des parents, de la souplesse et, pour tout ce qui touche leurs enfants, des rapports empreintsd’ouverture et de coopération. La juge saisie des motions a fait les observations suivantes : [TRADUCTION]D’abord, pendant ses quatre jours de travail, [le père] n’est absolument pas chargé de [l’enfant].
Il en va tout autrement de [la mère] qui,hors des deux jours et demi par cycle de huit jours que l’enfant passe avec son père, en est toujours chargée. [Le père] n’a pas à secharger de [le] faire garder s’il arrive qu’il soit malade ou qu’il n’y ait pas classe[.] [Le père] ne s’acquitte pas d’une part égale de la logistique parentale[.] […] la réticence [du père] à soutenir [la mère], lorsque [l’enfant] était malade et qu’elle débutait dans un emploi, donne à réfléchir. [Il]ne s’est pas montré souple à répondre aux besoins de [l’enfant] en dehors du [TRADUCTION] « calendrier ». [Répondre], lorsque priéde donner un coup de main, que ce n’était [TRADUCTION] « pas [son] problème » parce que ce n’était pas sa journée, n’est pasindicatif, non plus, d’un partage du parentage. [par. 24 à 26] [22] Après avoir conclu que les parents n’avaient pas la garde partagée de l’enfant, la juge saisie desmotions a modifié l’ordonnance et octroyé au père un accès accru, qui débutait lors de son premier jour de congé, après l’école, ou midila fin de semaine, et se poursuivait jusqu’au retour en classe, lors de son dernier jour de congé.
Était ensuite prévu ce qui suit :[TRADUCTION] « [L’enfant] retournera à [la mère] après l’école ou la garderie. Ainsi, il sera moins nécessaire qu’elle se déplace pouraller le chercher » (par. 32). L’accès se prolongeait jusqu’à 18 h [TRADUCTION] « si le dernier jour d’accès [du père était] un jour defin de semaine ou de congé scolaire ». La juge a conclu que cet accès accru ne permettait toujours pas au père d’atteindre le seuil de40 p. 100.
Elle a établi la pension alimentaire à verser pour l’enfant d’après le revenu qu’il gagnait à ce moment-là, par application destables des Lignes directrices pour le Nouveau-Brunswick. Elle a indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]J’accueille les calculs de [la mère], qui juge qu’[I.] passe environ 32 p. 100 de son temps avec [son père]. De même, j’accueillel’estimation de [la mère], selon qui le temps que le père passera avec l’enfant, si la Cour prolonge les séjours d’[I.] d’une nuitée par cyclede huit [jours], demeurera… ne dépassera pas les 40 p. 100 qu’exige l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices.
À mon sens, l’art. 9 et lesarrangements relatifs aux aliments de l’enfant sont sans incidence sur l’examen par lequel la Cour se demande quel est l’intérêt d’[I.] dupoint de vue des périodes passées avec chacun des parents. [par. 30] [23] Le père plaide l’« insuffisance des motifs » : il soutient que les motifs donnés ne fondaient pasla juge à conclure que la mère et lui n’ont pas un arrangement de parentage partagé (Van de Perre c. Edwards, 2001 CSC 60, [2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014, arrêt suivi dans P.R.H. c. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 R.N.-B. (2e) 100, par. 10 à 13; N.E.R. c. J.D.M.; J.H. c.
T.H., 2014 NBCA 52, 422 R.N.-B. (2e) 388, par. 4; Chiasson c. Doucet, 2014 NBCA 49, 422 R.N.-B. (2e) 304). En matière de garded’enfants, les motifs d’un juge de première instance doivent non seulement exposer le fondement rationnel de sa décision, mais aussimontrer le raisonnement qu’il a suivi pour arriver à sa conclusion; le juge de première instance n’est toutefois pas tenu d’exposer minutieusement chacun des faits. Dans B.C. c.
M.S., 2015 NBCA 46, 438 R.N.-B. (2e) 155, la Cour a indiqué ce qui suit : « Ainsi,lorsqu’il élabore ses motifs dans une affaire de garde, le juge de première instance est censé “prendre en considération tous les facteurspertinents, mais [il] serait déraisonnable d’exiger que le juge analyse chaque élément de preuve dans ses motifs” » (par. 20).
En l’espèce,la juge saisie des motions a résumé les faits et les questions à trancher, conclu qu’elle avait compétence sur le fondement dechangements importants, examiné la relation des parties et la part quotidienne de chacune aux soins de l’enfant et, dans son résumégénéral de la preuve, donné les motifs sur lesquels elle s’était appuyée pour conclure que les parents n’ont pas un arrangement deparentage partagé; par conséquent, l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices ne s’applique pas.
Il n’a pas été avancé devant notre Cour que la jugeavait commis une erreur dans l’interprétation de la preuve ou une erreur mathématique. [24] La juge saisie des motions a signalé, à juste titre, qu’elle se préoccupait plutôt de l’intérêt
supérieur de l’enfant que des menus détails des calculs de temps d’accès, et elle a formulé les dispositions d’accès en conséquence. Dansson mémoire, le père infère que la juge a modifié l’heure à laquelle il faut aller chercher l’enfant dans l’intention délibérée de lui dénierle seuil de 40 p. 100. Je ne suis pas de cet avis. La juge savait qu’[I.] aime la garde parascolaire qu’il fréquente, et elle a élaborél’ordonnance en songeant à son intérêt supérieur. Ainsi que la Cour suprême l’a déclaré dans Young c.
Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 R.C.S. 3, [1993] A.C.S. no 112 (QL), le « meilleur intérêt de l’enfant » est le seul critère des décisions à rendre sur les droits degarde et d’accès. Les préférences, tout comme les « droits » du père ou de la mère, ne jouent aucun rôle et le critère est large (K.C.W.V.c. K.L.P.). Je suis d’avis de ne pas intervenir dans l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire de la juge, et je ne trouve rien à redire ni à sonanalyse ni à ses conclusions. B.
Ordonnance alimentaire rétroactive au profit de l’enfant [25] La juge saisie des motions a conclu que les deux parents pourvoyaient aux besoins de leurenfant dans leurs ménages respectifs. Le père avance que, vu ceci, la juge aurait dû procéder à l’analyse que requièrent les al. 9b) et c)des Lignes directrices. Je ne suis pas de cet avis. Après que la juge a conclu à l’absence d’un arrangement de parentage partagé,poursuivre l’analyse sous le régime de l’art. 9 devenait superflu.
Je rappelle, par parenthèse, que les parties n’ont rempli ni l’une nil’autre les annexes IV et V de leurs états financiers (dépenses mensuelles). L’appelant soutient que la juge aurait dû ajourner l’audiencepour donner aux deux parents la possibilité de compléter ces états financiers. La mesure aurait été appropriée, mais seulement si la jugeavait conclu à un arrangement de parentage partagé. [26] Le professeur Rollie Thompson, dans un
article intitulé « Case Comment: Contino v. Leonelli-Contino » (2004), 42 R.F.L. (5th) 326, indique de quelle façon le juge de première instance devrait procéder, pour l’analyse qu’exigel’art. 9, après avoir conclu que les parents ont un arrangement de parentage partagé.
Il estime que le juge doit : i. déterminer le montant issu de la compensation simple; ii. examiner le budget des dépenses des deux parents pour les enfants; iii. examiner la capacité de chaque parent de supporter les coûts plus élevés associés à la garde partagée et le niveau de vie des enfantsdans chaque ménage; iv. établir une distinction entre les ordonnances ou conventions initiales et les modifications. [27] Après avoir conclu que l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices ne s’appliquait pas, la juge saisie desmotions a établi l’obligation alimentaire mensuelle que le père aurait envers l’enfant pour l’avenir, et elle a ordonné qu’il verse desaliments à
titre rétroactif pour les années 2012, 2013 et 2014, parce que son revenu avait augmenté ces années-là. Le père soutient quec’était une erreur. Il affirme que, comme il avait la charge de leur enfant au moins 40 p. 100 du temps, il fallait établir la pensionalimentaire à verser à son profit, tant pour l’avenir qu’à
titre rétroactif, suivant l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices. Le père ajoute que, puisquela mère n’avait pas demandé d’ordonnance rétroactive dans ses plaidoiries, l’ordonnance rendue n’était pas de la compétence de la Cour. [28] Dans l’arrêt Druet c. Druet, 2002 NBCA 88, 253 R.N.-B. (2e) 317, le juge d’appel Drapeau (telétait alors son titre) a conclu que le juge de première instance avait appliqué correctement la règle 2.01 des Règles de procédure lorsqu’ilavait ordonné le versement d’aliments matrimoniaux dans une instance en divorce. L’épouse n’avait pas déposé de demandereconventionnelle et n’avait de