B.E.M. Appellant v. His Majesty The King, 2023 SCC 32
Opinion
SUPREME COURT OF CANADA Citation: R. v. B.E.M., 2023 SCC 32 Appeal Heard: December 8, 2023 Judgment Rendered: December 8, 2023 Docket: 40221 Between: B.E.M. Appellant and His Majesty The King Respondent - and - Director of Public Prosecutions, Attorney General of Ontario and Criminal Trial Lawyers’ Association Interveners Coram: Karakatsanis, Côté, Martin, Kasirer and Moreau JJ. Unanimous Judgment Read By: (paras. 1 to 9) Kasirer J.
Counsel: Peter Sankoff and Elsa Wyllie , for the appellant. Cheryl Schlecker , for the respondent. Monique Dion and Alex Bernard , for the intervener the Director of Public Prosecutions. Dena Bonnet and Vallery Bayly , for the intervener the Attorney General of Ontario. Alexandra Seaman and Laura Matalas , for the intervener the Criminal Trial Lawyers’ Association. Note: This document is subject to editorial revision before its reproduction in final form in the Canada Supreme Court Reports . No. 40221 December 13, 2023 Le 13 décembre 2023 Coram: Karakatsanis, Côté, Martin, Kasirer and Moreau JJ.
Coram : Les juges Karakatsanis, Côté, Martin, Kasirer et Moreau BETWEEN: B.E.M. Appellant - and - His Majesty The King Respondent - and - Director of Public Prosecutions, Attorney General of Ontario and Criminal Trial Lawyers’ Association Interveners ENTRE : B.E.M. Appelant - et - Sa Majesté le Roi Intimé - et - Directrice des poursuites pénales, procureur général de l’Ontario et Criminal Trial Lawyers’ Association Intervenants JUDGMENT JUGEMENT
The appeal from the judgment of the Court of Appeal ofAlberta (Edmonton), Number 2103-0100A, 2022 ABCA 207,dated June 9, 2022, was heard on December 8, 2023, and theCourt on that day delivered the following judgment orally: Kasirer J. — We are all of the view that the appeal should bedismissed. It is common ground that, in closing submissions to the jury,Crown counsel should not have recounted an anecdote about apersonal childhood memory that had no connection to theevidence (see Pisani v. The Queen, (SCC),[1971] S.C.R. 738, at p. 740).
Personal anecdotes have noplace in closing submissions and are fundamentally at oddswith the role of counsel, and particularly the role of Crowncounsel (see Boucher v. The Queen, (SCC),[1955] S.C.R. 16). But the majority of the Court of Appealwas correct to conclude that this error did not result in anunfair trial or a miscarriage of justice in this case. Both the majority and the dissent relied on the relevant factorsset out in R. v. Stephan, 2017 ABCA 380, 61 Alta. L.R. (6th)26, rev’d on other grounds 2018 SCC 21, [2018] 1 S.C.R.633, but disagreed on their application.
At issue before the jury was both the veracity and accuracy ofthe complainant’s own memory of the events relating to thesexual assaults she allegedly suffered as a child. The defenceargued that these events never took place and challenged thecomplainant’s recollections as uneven. Insofar as thischallenged the complainant’s version of events as lackingboth credibility and reliability, the improper comments ofCrown counsel were potentially serious as they touched on acore issue at the trial. That said, the context of the anecdote considerably limited itsprejudicial effect.
First, and unlike Pisani, the personalanecdote was not about an offence or about conductcomparable to the substance of the allegations at issue.Moreover, the anecdote was not a prominent feature of theCrown’s closing address. Furthermore, while defence counsel did object to otheraspects of the Crown’s closing submissions that are notrelevant to the appeal, no objection was made to the Crown’spersonal anecdote. The failure of defence counsel to object tothe anecdote is not of course dispositive, but it is a factor to beconsidered in measuring the impact on trial fairness on appeal(see R. v.
Manasseri, 2016 ONCA 703, 132 O.R. (3d) 401, atpara. 107). L’appel interjeté contre l’arrêt de la Cour d’appel de l’Alberta(Edmonton), numéro 2103-0100A, 2022 ABCA 207, daté du 9juin 2022, a été entendu le 8 décembre 2023 et la Cour aprononcé oralement le même jour le jugement suivant : [traduction] Le juge Kasirer — Nous sommes unanimement d’avis quel’appel doit être rejeté. Il est admis que, lors des plaidoiries finales devant le jury, leprocureur de la Couronne n’aurait pas dû relater une anecdoteconcernant un souvenir personnel de son enfance qui n’avaitaucun lien avec la preuve (voir Pisani c.
La Reine, (SCC), [1971] R.C.S. 738, p. 740). Les anecdotespersonnelles n’ont pas leur place dans des plaidoiries finales etsont fondamentalement incompatibles avec le rôle d’un avocat,et tout particulièrement d’un procureur de la Couronne (voirBoucher c. The Queen, (SCC), [1955] R.C.S. 16).Toutefois, les juges majoritaires de la Cour d’appel ont eu raisonde conclure que cette erreur n’a pas entraîné un procèsinéquitable ou une erreur judiciaire en l’espèce. Tant les juges majoritaires que la juge dissidente se sont appuyéssur les facteurs pertinents énoncés dans R. c. Stephan, 2017ABCA 380, 61 Alta.
L.R. (6th) 26, inf. pour d’autres motifs par2018 CSC 21, [2018] 1 R.C.S. 633, mais ne se sont pas entendussur leur application. Les questions en litige devant le jury étaient la véracité etl’exactitude du souvenir personnel de la plaignante desévénements liés aux agressions sexuelles dont elle aurait étévictime durant son enfance. La défense a plaidé que cesévénements ne s’étaient jamais produits et que les souvenirs de laplaignante étaient inégaux.
Dans la mesure où cela soulevait desdoutes sur la version des événements rapportée par la plaignante,tant sur le plan de la crédibilité que de la fiabilité, lescommentaires inappropriés du procureur de la Couronne étaientpotentiellement sérieux en ce qu’ils concernaient une questionfondamentale du procès. Cela dit, le contexte de l’anecdote limitait considérablement soneffet préjudiciable. D’abord, et contrairement à l’affaire Pisani,l’anecdote personnelle ne portait pas sur une infraction ouconduite comparable à la substance des allégations en cause.
Enoutre, l’anecdote n’était pas un aspect important de la plaidoiriefinale de la Couronne. Qui plus est, bien que le procureur de la défense ait formulé desobjections à l’égard d’autres aspects des plaidoiries finales de laCouronne qui ne sont pas pertinents pour le présent appel,aucune n’a été formulée à l’égard de l’anecdote personnelle duprocureur de la Couronne. Le fait que le procureur de la défensene s’est pas opposé à l’anecdote n’est évidemment pasdéterminant, mais il constitue un facteur qui doit être pris encompte dans l’appréciation en appel de l’équité du procès (voirR. c.
Manasseri, 2016 ONCA 703, 132 O.R. (3d) 401, par. 107). Le juge du procès a de fait averti le jury de ne pas considérercomme de la preuve ce que le procureur avait dit. Et bien que le
The trial judge did caution the jury not to consider what counsel said as evidence. And while the trial judge did not undertake specific remedial steps to alert the jury to the improper comments of the Crown, the judge’s observation that jury members should use their “common sense understanding of how memories operate” (A.R., vol. I, at p. 63) is consonant with the idea that, although improper, the Crown’s anecdote should be read in that light.
Nothing would suggest that the charge did not achieve its purpose “to properly equip the jury in the circumstances of the trial to decide the case according to the law and the evidence” ( R. v. Abdullahi , 2023 SCC 19 , at para. 72 ). In sum, we agree with the view that Crown counsel’s improper anecdote did not render the appellant’s trial unfair.
The appeal is dismissed. juge du procès n’ait pas pris de mesures de redressement précises pour alerter les membres du jury à l’égard des commentaires inappropriés de la Couronne, son observation portant que ces derniers devaient se baser sur leur [ traduction ] « compréhension sensée du fonctionnement de la mémoire » (d.a., vol. I, p. 63) est conciliable avec l’idée selon laquelle l’anecdote, quoiqu’inappropriée, devrait être considérée sous cet éclairage.
Rien ne tend à indiquer que l’exposé n’a pas réalisé sa fonction, soit « outiller convenablement le jury eu égard aux circonstances du procès pour qu’il tranche l’affaire conformément au droit et à la preuve » ( R. c. Abdullahi , 2023 CSC 19 , par. 72 ). En résumé, nous sommes d’avis que l’anecdote inappropriée du procureur de la Couronne n’a pas rendu le procès de l’appelant inéquitable. L’appel est rejeté. J.S.C.C. J.C.S.C.