2021 NBCA 34, 2021 NBCA 34
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 73-20-CA ANDREA LAVENDER-SMITH APPELLANT ANDREA LAVENDER-SMITH APPELANTE - and - - et - WILLIAM ANDREW SMITH RESPONDENT WILLIAM ANDREW SMITH INTIMÉ Lavender-Smith v. Smith, 2021 NBCA 34 Lavender-Smith c.
Smith, 2021 NBCA 34 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 29, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 29 septembre 2020 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: [2020] N.B.J.
No. 277 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : [2020] A.N.-B. n o 277 Appeal heard and judgment rendered: February 24, 2021 Appel entendu et jugement rendu : le 24 février 2021 Reasons delivered: July 8, 2021 Motifs déposés : le 8 juillet 2021
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge en chef Richard Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Patrick E. Hurley, Q.C. For the respondent: Sheila J. Cameron, Q.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Patrick E. Hurley, c.r. Pour l’intimé : Sheila J. Cameron, c.r. THE COURT The appeal was allowed on February 24, 2021, with reasons to follow, and the judge’s removal order was set aside.
These are the reasons. The appellant is entitled to costs in the Court below in the amount of $1,000 and $5,000 on appeal, which include the costs related to the application for leave to appeal. LA COUR Le 24 février, l’appel a été accueilli, avec motifs à suivre, et l’ordonnance de radiation a été annulée. Voici ces motifs. L’appelante a droit à des dépens de 1 000 $ devant le tribunal d’instance inférieure et à des dépens de 5 000 $ en appel, ces derniers englobant les dépens liés à la demande en autorisation d’appel. The judgment of the Court was delivered by RICHARD, C.J.N.B. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] In the context of a very contentious divorce proceeding, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench removed the solicitor of record for one of the parties. The removal was grounded on the fact that, in response to a motion filed by the opposing party, the lawyer filed his own affidavit. With leave, the party whose lawyer was removed appeals this interlocutory decision. [ 2 ] As Robertson J.A. stated, “The common law rule is straightforward: a lawyer cannot act as
both counsel and witness in the same proceeding,” also noting, “the common law rule has found its way into the Law Society of NewBrunswick’s ‘Code of Professional Conduct’” (see Hughes v. The City of Moncton, 2006 NBCA 83, 304 N.B.R. (2d) 92, at para. 1). Therule, however, is not absolute. “[T]he law permits the giving of affidavit evidence with respect to formal or procedural matters” (ibid.). [3] The present case does not call this rule into question. The issue raised relates to theconsequences of a violation of the rule.
The arguments presented require us to determine whether, as a matter of law, there is a “bright-line” consequence to a violation of the rule, pursuant to which a lawyer must be removed if the lawyer becomes a witness in theproceeding in which the lawyer is also counsel, or, alternatively, whether the removal of a lawyer in these circumstances is a matter ofjudicial discretion.
Counsel for the appellant argues for the latter, while counsel for the respondent asserts the former. [4] In my view, removal of a solicitor of record in a proceeding in which the lawyer is, or maybecome, a witness is a matter of judicial discretion, in the exercise of which a judge must consider the particular circumstances of thematter. In the present case, the motion judge erred in law by applying a bright-line test. His decision therefore stands to be set asideunless we conclude that, in the circumstances, removal was nevertheless justified as a matter of judicial discretion.
In my respectful view,applying the framework elaborated below, the lawyer should not have been ordered removed. [5] On February 24, 2021, in a ruling issued from the Bench, I joined my colleagues in allowingthe appeal and setting aside the motion judge’s decision, thereby reinstating the lawyer as solicitor of record. At the time, we indicatedthat reasons for our decision would follow. These are my reasons. II. Analysis A. Rationale for the rule against being a witness and counsel in the same proceeding [6] The rule against a lawyer being both a witness and counsel in the same proceeding is notnovel.
This practice has been considered unacceptable in this province for at least 175 years (see Shields v. McGrath (1847), 184714 (NB KB), 5 N.B.R. 398 (S.C. en banc)). [7] A century ago, in Ward v. McIntyre (1920), (NB CA), 48 N.B.R. 233, [1920]N.B.J. No. 5 (QL) (S.C.A.D.), Sir John Douglas Hazen C.J.N.B. explained that, historically, the rule against counsel becoming a witnesswas absolute: it would result in a new trial; however, that automatic consequence was later recognized as having been overruled (Ward,at para. 1, referring to Bank of British North America v.
McElroy (1875), 1875 6 (NB KB), 15 N.B.R. 462 (S.C. en banc)). ChiefJustice Hazen referred to Professor Wigmore’s treatise as a proper
summary of the law on point. [8] In Wigmore on Evidence, vol. 3, at p. 2538, sec. 1911, three reasons were given to justify therule. These remain relevant today and are reflected in the last publication of Wigmore’s work (vol. 6, at pp. 595-606, sec. 1911). [9] The first reason given is the general principle at common law of disallowing testimony ofthose with an interest in the cause. The idea, quite simply, is that a party who has an interest will have a reason to lie, so any evidencegiven by that party cannot be trusted.
While the prohibitory rule against someone with interest testifying has long since been abrogated(s. 2 of the Evidence Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. E-11), the principle could retain some significance. [10] A lawyer owes a duty to act in his or her client’s best interests. At least facially, this couldconflict with a witness’s duty to give truthful evidence. A lawyer may, knowingly or not, adapt his or her testimony to best suit theclient’s interests. A judge may well question the weight to be given to such evidence.
Even so, an observer may question a judge’sdecision to ascribe any weight to it, which leads to Wigmore’s second reason. [11] That second reason is concern relating to public perception. Regardless of whether lawyers willactually distort their evidence in favour of their clients, the public may think they will for the reasons aforementioned. This damages thepublic’s perception of the administration of justice and may require a court to prevent counsel from continuing to act when counseltestifies. See also MacDonald Estate v. Martin, (SCC), [1990] 3 S.C.R. 1235, [1990] S.C.J.
No. 41 (QL), at p. 1263.After all, “[t]he importance of public confidence in a country’s justice system cannot be overstated. One can easily postulate that, overthe long term, the rule of law cannot be sustained without public confidence in the administration of justice” (see R. v. Oland, 2016
7428 (NB CA), [2016] N.B.J. No. 25 (QL) (C.A.), at para. 17, aff’d 2016 NBCA 15, 446 N.B.R. (2d) 325, rev’d on othergrounds 2017 SCC 17, [2017] 1 S.C.R. 250). [12] Another consideration relating to public perception is the possibility it may seem unfair toparties or observers that a party may rely on evidence from its lawyer in support of its cause while the other party may not.
Thisappearance of unfairness can also undermine the administration of justice. [13] Wigmore’s third reason for justifying the rule is the potential to confuse the trier of fact.Statements given in the witness box (or in affidavits) are evidence. Statements in argument at the close of a case are not. The trier of factmust rely only on the former. However, allowing the same person to be both a witness and counsel could lead to confusion about whichstatements are evidence and which are not. This could result in decisions that are not based solely on the evidence, which theadministration of justice cannot tolerate.
Although judges may be less likely than jurors to make this type of error, attenuating thisconcern, the possibility remains. [14] Another consideration bears mentioning. A lawyer who acts as a witness puts his or her owncredibility in issue, like any other witness (see R. v. Deslauriers (Man. C.A.), (MB CA), [1992] M.J. No. 502 (QL)(C.A.)). Unlike any other witness, the lawyer is being relied upon by the judge. Although counsel acting as witnesses are advocates, ajudge must be able to rely on them not to knowingly mislead the court, and on their candour and assistance, in reaching the rightoutcome.
A lawyer whose testimony is found to have been inaccurate, may have his or her credibility diminished in the eyes of the judgegenerally.
This impairs both the assistance the lawyer may give to the judge and the lawyer’s ability to persuade the court on behalf ofhis or her client. [15] Nevertheless, Wigmore points out that, “the Courts dealing with this question since 1846, […]have […] declined, almost unanimously, to lay down a rule of prohibition” (vol. 6, at p. 602). [16] Rather than reject the evidence or order a new trial, on the one hand, or allow counsel to act as awitness, on the other, courts have developed a practice of exercising their inherent jurisdiction to remove a lawyer from the record wherethe lawyer has acted as a witness.
Taylor J. gave an early suggestion of this practice in Williams v. Williams and Stewart, [1949] S.J. No.11 (QL), at para. 5. In New Brunswick, oblique references to this practice were made by Stevenson J. in New Brunswick Milk DealersAssociation v. New Brunswick Milk Marketing Board (1984), (NB KB), 56 N.B.R. (2d) 413, [1984] N.B.J. No. 263(QL), at para. 7, and by Ryan J., as he then was, in New Brunswick (Board of Management) v. Connors (1987), (NB KB), 74 N.B.R. (2d) 367, [1986] N.B.J. No. 896 (QL), atpara. 3.
In this province, an early reported example of a decision on a motion requesting removal on this ground is River Road Co-op Ltd.et al. v. Ultra Maintenance Ltd. et al. (1997), (NB KB), 186 N.B.R. (2d) 140, [1997] N.B.J. No. 38 (QL), whereMcLellan J. dismissed the motion. [17] Consciously or not, courts probably developed this practice in response to Wigmore’s concernthat it would be punishing an innocent client to order a new trial to cure counsel’s breach of an ethical rule (at p. 606).
Also relevant isthe British Columbia Court of Appeal’s pronouncement that a client has a right to tender admissible evidence from anyone, includinglawyers (see Phoenix v. Metcalfe, [1974] B.C.J. No. 903 (QL) (C.A.), at para. 5). In the end, if one eliminates ordering a new trial orbarring the lawyer from being a witness as appropriate remedies, the only one left is the removal of the lawyer as solicitor of record,although this may not always be necessary. B.
The ultimate question [18] The common thread in the reasons for the rule against a lawyer being both a witness andcounsel in the same proceeding is that a violation of the rule may frustrate the proper administration of justice. It is therefore fitting thatthe administration of justice be a critical consideration when a judge determines whether, or not, to remove from the record a lawyer whodoes or will testify, or depose, in the proceeding.
In my view, the ultimate question a judge must ask is whether, in the circumstances,considering both the purpose of the rule against a lawyer being both a witness and counsel in the same proceeding and the competinginterests involved, the proper administration of justice requires the removal of counsel. C. The framework
(1) Rejection of a bright-line test [19] As explained above, the fact evidence will be given by a party’s lawyer is not by itself a groundfor excluding it or for ordering a new trial. Rather, when a lawyer sheds the robe and steps into the witness box, either literally orfiguratively, the risk for the lawyer and the client is removal of the lawyer from the matter.
The respondent in this case invites us toconsider this risk a certainty by adopting what has been described as a “bright-line” approach. [20] The respondent has not identified any direct or persuasive authority in support of such a changein approach, and I see no merit in this submission. Any test that is not rooted in judicial discretion would be inconsistent with our Court’sjurisprudence, such as Saint John Shipbuilding Limited v. Bow Valley Husky (Bermuda) Limited, Husky Oil Ltd., Bow Valley IndustriesLtd., Bow Drill Three Partnership and 384830 Alberta Inc., 2002 NBCA 41, 251 N.B.R. (2d) 102.
Although the underlying disqualifyingfactor in Saint John Shipbuilding was conflict of interest, the principles Drapeau J.A. outlined have a much broader application. SaintJohn Shipbuilding expressly recognizes the power to remove a lawyer as one involving the exercise of judicial discretion (at para. 28). [21] A bright-line test would also be at odds with this Court’s decision in Hughes, where RobertsonJ.A. explained that the removal of counsel was ordered, “having regard to all of the surrounding circumstances and after rejecting theoption of striking the [lawyer’s] affidavit […]” (at para. 2).
It would also be contrary to decisions in the Court of Queen’s Bench such asRiver Road Co-op, where McLellan J. said, “a flexible approach should be followed” (at para. 19), and LeBlanc v. Allain et al., 2003NBQB 141, 261 N.B.R. (2d) 227. [22] In my view, Saint John Shipbuilding and Hughes, as well as numerous cases from across thecountry, support the proposition that a judge may, in the exercise of judicial discretion, remove a lawyer from the record when thelawyer is, or might become, both a witness and counsel in the same proceeding.
(2) The proper approach for seeking removal [23] As stated in Hughes, “as a matter of professional courtesy, and as an officer of the court, counselshould draw to the attention of opposing counsel who have submitted affidavit evidence in support of a contentious issue, the commonlaw rule and the Law Society’s Code of Professional Conduct” (at para. 3).
This should be done whether, or not, counsel for theopposing party intends to raise the question before the court, as it is, as Robertson J.A. explained, “a simple method for avoiding delayand embarrassment for all concerned” (ibid.). [24] If, having been alerted, counsel still intends to give evidence, any motion to remove should,except in exceptional cases, strictly follow the motion procedures set out in the Rules of Court.
These procedures require the movingparty to give proper notice and support the request with the necessary affidavit evidence. [25] Even when a court considers, on its own motion, the removal of counsel, both the lawyer andthe party involved must be afforded procedural fairness.
(3) Threshold issues [26] The rule at play in the present case first requires that the lawyer, either immediately or in thefuture, give evidence in the same proceeding in which the lawyer is also counsel for one of the parties. When this occurs, and theevidence does not pertain to formal or procedural matters and uncontested facts, either the opposing party or the presiding judge mayraise the question of the lawyer’s removal as solicitor of record. When the issue is that the lawyer may give evidence, the judge mustcarefully consider whether removal might be premature.
In some instances, such as in Essa (Township) v. Guergis; Membery v. Hill,(ON SCDC), [1993] O.J. No. 2581 (QL), it may not be certain that the lawyer will give evidence. See also SogelcoInternational Inc. v. Pêcheries Cap Lumière Fisheries Inc., (NB CA), [2004] N.B.J. No. 464 (QL) (C.A.), at para.18, and the cases cited therein. [27] Recall that, in Hughes, removal was ordered only after the option of striking the lawyer’s
affidavit was rejected. In my view, this is an important threshold issue. In Hughes , the lawyer’s affidavit offered critical evidence. This may not be so in every case. It may be that, in some instances, the evidence is clearly inadmissible or ought to be rejected for some other reason. If the evidence will not be admitted, there is no reason to remove the lawyer as solicitor of record. [ 28 ] In sum, there are two threshold issues:
(1) Is it sufficiently certain that the lawyer will give evidence in the same proceeding in which the lawyer is also solicitor of record?
(2) Will the purported evidence be admitted? [ 29 ] A lawyer who will also be a witness is removed in the exercise of judicial discretion only when both threshold questions have been answered affirmatively and when the proper administration of justice favours removal.
(4) Factors to consider [ 30 ] As stated above, the ultimate question a judge must ask is whether, in the circumstances, considering both the purpose of the rule against a lawyer being a witness and counsel in the same proceeding and the competing interests involved, the proper administration of justice requires the removal of counsel. [ 31 ] In the oft-cited case of Essa (Township) , O’Brien J., for the Ontario Court of Justice (General Division), Divisional Court, accepted submissions on behalf of the Advocates Society “that in these applications a court should approach the matter by following a flexible approach and consider each case on its own merits” (at para. 48).
He went on to note that many factors should be considered and set out a non-exhaustive list of those that might be included: • the stage of the proceeding • the likelihood that the witness will be called • the good faith of the party making the application • the significance of the evidence to be led • the impact of removing counsel on the party’s right to be represented by counsel of choice • whether trial is by judge or jury • the likelihood of a real conflict arising or that the evidence will be “tainted” • who will call the witness if, for example, there is a probability counsel will be in a position to cross-examine a favourable witness, a trial judge may rule to prevent that unfair advantage arising • the connection or relationship between counsel, the prospective witness and the parties involved in the litigation. [ 32 ] I agree some or all of these factors may be relevant depending on the circumstances, but there may also be other relevant factors.
What is important is that, in examining the matter, the judge considers all the circumstances in determining whether the proper administration of justice requires the removal of counsel. D. Application of the framework to the present case [ 33 ] In the present case, the motion judge did not follow any type of framework for the exercise of his discretion. It appears the judge applied a bright-line test. This was an error of law. As a result, on application of the standard of review of discretionary orders, we owe no deference to the judge’s conclusion.
It therefore falls on us to determine whether, on application of the proper principles, the lawyer should be removed.
[ 34 ] The parties in this matter are involved in what has been described as a contentious divorce proceeding, with each party being represented by counsel: Janik Collette Keddy and Shannon Doran, Q.C., for the husband and Howard Myatt for the wife. At some point, the parties were ordered to select a counsellor for their children. When they found themselves unable to reach agreement on the selection, Ms. Doran filed a motion for the court to appoint a certain individual. The wife opposed the husband’s selection. Responding to the motion, Mr.
Myatt, who had a professional experience with the individual the husband was putting forth as the counsellor, filed his own affidavit. In the affidavit, Mr. Myatt relates his experience in a previous case where Ms. Doran called this individual to testify as an expert witness. Mr. Myatt claims the expert volunteered information that was false and irrelevant to the issue before the court and cast his client in a negative light. He also describes an opinion given in re-examination that was outside the scope of the witness’s expertise, which the judge rejected because the issue had not arisen from cross-examination.
Mr. Myatt further claims, “it was clear from the testimony of [the expert witness] that she had been prepared by [opposing counsel] to offer this improper evidence during her re-examination.” In short, he thought the witness was not impartial. [ 35 ] Recognizing he could not be both a witness and counsel for the hearing of the motion, Mr. Myatt arranged for Patrick Hurley, Q.C., to attend the hearing of the motion to argue for the wife. At the hearing, Mr. Hurley identified himself as an “agent” for Mr. Myatt. [ 36 ] Before any argument was made on the merits of the husband’s motion, Ms.
Doran raised a preliminary issue: she called for Mr. Myatt to be removed as solicitor of record on the grounds he could not be both a witness and counsel in the same proceeding. [ 37 ] The professional courtesy to which Robertson J.A. referred in Hughes did not feature at all in Ms. Doran’s actions. She did not bring the matter to Mr. Myatt’s attention, nor did she file a motion seeking his removal. She simply raised the matter at the hearing of the motion to appoint a counsellor. This came as a surprise to both Mr. Myatt and Mr. Hurley. In my view, the judge should not have entertained Ms.
Doran’s “request.” There were no exceptional circumstances to justify a deviation from the Rules of Court . The judge nevertheless proceeded to hear arguments and ordered Mr. Myatt removed as solicitor of record for the wife in the divorce proceeding. For some inexplicable reason, the judge then adjourned the husband’s motion for the appointment of a counsellor even though both Ms. Collette Keddy and Mr. Hurley were present and ready to make their arguments. [ 38 ] From a review of the record, it is difficult to understand why the judge felt compelled to remove Mr.
Myatt as solicitor of record when the motion to appoint a counsellor would have no real impact on the divorce proceeding itself. As stated above, it appears the judge applied a bright-line test. [ 39 ] Before the motion judge and again before us, counsel for the husband raised the question of Mr. Hurley’s status. Recall he described himself as “agent” for Mr. Myatt. In reality, nothing turns on this. As Mr. Hurley explained, lawyers often appear as agents for other lawyers for routine appearances. This is particularly so in the area of criminal law.
In fact, the so-called agent is there to represent the client before the court; however, the term “agent” is used simply to indicate the lawyer is not solicitor of record for the underlying matter. This should have been apparent to all involved, and the husband’s argument regarding the law of agency is frivolous, to say the least. [ 40 ] Subjecting this case to the framework elaborated above, I conclude Mr. Myatt should not have been removed as solicitor for the wife in the divorce proceeding.
I have already addressed the procedural matters and opined the request should not have even been entertained in the manner it was presented. Those procedural concerns aside, the next step is to consider the two threshold questions. [ 41 ] The first question asks whether it is sufficiently certain that Mr. Myatt will give evidence in the same proceeding in which he is also solicitor of record. In this case, his affidavit had already been filed, so prematurity was not an issue. However, had the rule of civility been respected and had Mr. Myatt been informed of Ms.
Doran’s intention to seek his removal for the entire proceeding, he might well have withdrawn his affidavit. [ 42 ] Under the Rules of Court , a motion is a step within a proceeding (see Mockler v. New Brunswick et al. , 2019 NBCA 10 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 80 (QL), at para. 15 ). Thus, the first threshold question is answered affirmatively. [ 43 ] The second threshold question, regarding the admissibility of the lawyer’s evidence, presents some difficulty because the entire record is not before us. It is impossible to determine why and under what circumstances the judge
ordered the parties to select a counsellor for the children, or where he derived the jurisdiction to do so. It appears the counsellor wouldnot provide expert testimony at trial. Nevertheless, Mr. Myatt’s affidavit is simply his
interpretation of a previous encounter he had withthe individual the husband was proposing as counsellor for the children when that person testified as an expert witness. It offersconclusions, without proof of the supporting facts, such as Mr. Myatt’s statements that the witness gave false testimony and was“prepared” by opposing counsel to offer evidence outside the scope of the witness’s expertise. Note that, in the previous case to whichMr.
Myatt refers, in ruling on his objection to part of the witness’s testimony, the judge simply did not allow the question in re-examination because it did not arise from cross-examination, and she did not opine on the witness’s impartiality. The affidavit saysnothing of the qualifications of the individual as a counsellor for the children. In my view, Mr. Myatt’s affidavit was irrelevant and oughtto have been struck out. Had the motion judge put his mind to the second threshold question, he would have struck out the affidavit andanswered the question in the negative.
As a result, the inquiry regarding the removal of Mr. Myatt as solicitor of record would not haveneeded to go any further, and the “request” to remove him would have been dismissed. [44] However, had the judge nonetheless pursued the inquiry and properly considered all thecircumstances to determine whether the proper administration of justice required Mr.
Myatt’s removal, I conclude he would necessarilyhave found it did not. [45] The motion for removal was made at an early stage in the proceedings – at the hearing of aninterlocutory motion which did not settle nor even engage any substantive issue in the litigation. This strongly weighs against removal.As matters can take a different turn in the course of proceedings, it would take a strong showing on the other factors to justify theremoval of a solicitor at such an early stage. This is especially so where there was no real risk Mr. Myatt would be required to testify attrial. I wholly reject Ms.
Doran’s argument before the motion judge that she wanted the opportunity to cross-examine Mr. Myatt at trial.It was clear Mr. Myatt would have no evidence to offer at trial. He filed an affidavit in opposition to a motion to appoint a counsellor, anissue that would be wholly resolved by the judge’s ruling on the motion. This issue had nothing to do with the divorce or ancillary reliefclaimed. [46] The absence of a proper motion with supporting affidavit(
s) makes it difficult to assess thehusband’s good faith in seeking Mr. Myatt’s removal as counsel for the wife. The fact the motion was made without notice, in totaldisregard of the numerous decisions of this Court that denounce ambush as litigation strategy, without raising any alternative to removal,such as striking out the affidavit, combined with the untenable suggestion Mr. Myatt would be examined at trial, are all factors that argueagainst a good faith basis for the removal request. Thus, one might be forgiven for surmising that the request for Mr.
Myatt’s removalwas a tactic intended to deprive a litigant in a family dispute of her lawyer of choice. As Léger J. said, “[t]he courts are reluctant todisqualify solicitors where the motion is driven by tactical considerations” (see Dugas, Re, 2003 NBQB 197 261 N.B.R. (2d)315). See also River Road Co-op, at para. 20. If it was so, this would weigh heavily against removal. [47] In addition, as stated above, the evidence of Mr. Myatt in opposing the appointment of thecounsellor would not be relevant to the ultimate issues in dispute, i.e., the divorce and the ancillary relief. This weighs strongly againstremoval.
I do not suggest that a lawyer should not be removed whenever his or her evidence on a motion will not be relevant later in theproceedings. To do so would be to lay down as a rule that counsel could give evidence in almost any interlocutory proceeding withoutany issue. However, where the evidence will have no relevance in future stages of the proceedings, the other factors must weigh moreheavily in favour of removal in order to justify it. [48] Removing Mr. Myatt from the record in this case would deprive the wife of her lawyer of 20months.
While losing a lawyer of choice is difficult for any litigant, the hardship caused to a litigant involved in a lengthy family lawproceeding cannot be understated. In the circumstances, this weighs strongly against removal. [49] The above factors were especially significant in this case and, in the absence of any factorweighing in favour of removal, it is axiomatic that the “request” to remove Mr. Myatt should have been rejected because, in thecircumstances, the proper administration of justice did not require his removal. III.
Conclusion [50] It is for these reasons that I joined my colleagues in allowing the appeal and setting aside thejudge’s removal order. I would conclude by awarding the wife costs of $1,000 in the Court below and $5,000 on appeal, which includethe costs related to the application for leave to appeal. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par
LE JUGE EN CHEF RICHARD I. Introduction [1] Dans le contexte d’une instance en divorce vivement contestée, un juge de la Cour du Banc dela Reine a radié du dossier l’avocat d’une des parties. La radiation était fondée sur le fait que l’avocat avait déposé son propre affidaviten réponse à une motion déposée par la
partie adverse. Avec l’autorisation de la Cour, la
partie dont l’avocat a été radié du dossierinterjette appel de cette décision interlocutoire. [2] Le juge d’appel Robertson a déclaré que « [l]a règle de common law est simple : un avocat nepeut se porter à la fois avocat et témoin dans une même procédure », et il a en outre indiqué que « [l]a règle de common law est […]intégrée au Code de déontologie professionnelle du Barreau du Nouveau-Brunswick » (voir Hughes c. Moncton, 2006 NBCA 83, 304 R.N.-B. (2e) 92, au par. 1). La règle, cependant, n’est pas absolue.
« [L]e droit permet la présentation d’une preuve par affidavit à l’égardde questions de forme ou de procédure » (ibid.). [3] Cette règle n’est pas remise en question en l’espèce. La question qui est soulevée porte sur lesconséquences d’une violation de cette règle. Les arguments présentés nous obligent à déterminer s’il existe en droit une conséquence[TRADUCTION] « absolue » à une violation de la règle, en application de laquelle un avocat doit être radié du dossier s’il devienttémoin dans l’instance dans laquelle il représente aussi une
partie ou, subsidiairement, si la radiation de l’avocat dans ces circonstancesest une question relevant du pouvoir discrétionnaire du juge. L’avocat de l’appelante soutient ce deuxième argument, alors que l’avocatede l’intimé soutient le premier. [4] À mon avis, la radiation d’un avocat commis au dossier dans une instance dans laquelle il esttémoin, ou pourrait le devenir, est une question qui relève du pouvoir discrétionnaire du juge, pouvoir qu’il exerce en examinant lescirconstances particulières de l’affaire.
En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur de droit en appliquant un critère dedémarcation nette. Sa décision est donc susceptible d’être annulée, sauf si nous concluons que, dans les circonstances, la radiation étaitnéanmoins justifiée, relevant de son pouvoir discrétionnaire.
Avec égards, appliquant le cadre d’analyse présenté ci-dessous, je suisd’avis que la radiation de l’avocat du dossier n’aurait pas dû être ordonnée. [5] Le 24 février 2021, dans une décision rendue séance tenante, je me suis joint à mes collèguespour accueillir l’appel et annuler la décision du juge saisi de la motion, réintégrant ainsi l’avocat en qualité d’avocat commis au dossier.À ce moment-là, nous avons indiqué que les motifs de notre décision suivraient. Voici mes motifs. II. Analyse A.
La raison qui sous-tend la règle interdisant à un avocat de se porter à la fois témoin et avocat dans une même instance [6] La règle interdisant à un avocat de se porter à la fois témoin et avocat dans une même instancen’est pas nouvelle. Dans notre province, on considère cette pratique comme inacceptable depuis au moins 175 ans (voir Shields c.McGrath (1847), 1847 14 (NB KB), 5 R.N.-B. 398 (C.S.N.-B. en banc)). [7] Il y a un siècle, dans Ward c.
McIntyre (1920), (NB CA), 48 R.N.-B. 233, [1920] A.N.-B. no 5 (QL) (C.S.N.-B., Div. d’appel), John Douglas Hazen, juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, a expliqué que,historiquement, la règle interdisant à un avocat de se porter témoin était absolue : elle entraînait la tenue d’un nouveau procès. Toutefois,cette conséquence automatique a plus tard été reconnue comme ayant été écartée (Ward, au par. 1, renvoyant à The Bank of British NorthAmerica c. McElroy (1875), 1875 6 (NB KB), 15 R.N.-B. 462 (C.S.N.-B. en banc)).
Le juge en chef Hazen a dit du traité duprofesseur Wigmore qu’il présentait un résumé approprié du droit sur la question. [8] Dans l’ouvrage Wigmore on Evidence, vol. 3, à la p. 2538, sect. 1911, trois raisons ont étédonnées pour justifier la règle. Ces raisons sont toujours pertinentes aujourd’hui et sont reprises dans la dernière publication de l’ouvrage
de Wigmore (vol. 6, aux p. 595 à 606, sect. 1911). [9] La première raison donnée est le principe général de common law interdisant les témoignagesdes personnes ayant un intérêt dans la cause. L’idée est tout simplement que, puisqu’une personne intéressée aura une raison de mentir,il est impossible de faire confiance à son témoignage. Même si la règle interdisant à une personne intéressée de témoigner a été abrogéeil y a longtemps (art. 2 de la
Loi sur la preuve, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. E-11), le principe pourrait toujours avoir un certain sens. [10] Un avocat est tenu d’agir dans l’intérêt supérieur de son client. Du moins en apparence, cetteobligation pourrait être incompatible avec l’obligation d’un témoin de présenter un témoignage véridique. Un avocat peut, que ce soitconsciemment ou non, adapter son témoignage aux intérêts de son client. Un juge peut fort bien s’interroger sur le poids à accorder à untel témoignage.
Malgré cela, un observateur peut remettre en doute la décision d’un juge d’y accorder un poids quelconque, ce qui nousmène à la deuxième raison présentée dans l’ouvrage de Wigmore. [11] Cette deuxième raison se rapporte aux préoccupations en ce qui concerne la perception dupublic. Peu importe la question de savoir si les avocats déformeront réellement leur témoignage en faveur de leurs clients, le publicpourra penser qu’ils le feront pour les raisons susmentionnées.
Cela a pour effet de nuire à la perception qu’a le public del’administration de la justice et peut exiger d’un tribunal qu’il empêche l’avocat qui témoigne de continuer d’agir en sa qualité d’avocat. Voir aussi Succession MacDonald c. Martin, (SCC), [1990] 3 R.C.S. 1235, [1990] A.C.S. no 41 (QL), à la p. 1263.Après tout, « [o]n ne peut exagérer l’importance de la confiance du public dans le système de justice d’un pays. Il est permis d’avancerque, à longue échéance, la primauté du droit ne peut être maintenue sans la confiance du public dans l’administration de la justice » (voir R. c.
Oland, (NB CA), [2016] A.N.-B. no 25 (QL) (C.A.), au par. 17, conf. par 2016 NBCA 15, 446 R.N.-B. (2e) 325,inf. pour d’autres motifs 2017 CSC 17, [2017] 1 R.C.S. 250). [12] Toujours à propos de la perception du public, il faut aussi se demander s’il est possible qu’ilpuisse sembler injuste pour les parties ou les observateurs qu’une
partie puisse s’appuyer sur le témoignage de son avocat à l’appui de sacause alors que la
partie adverse ne le peut pas. Cette apparence d’iniquité peut aussi déconsidérer l’administration de la justice. [13] La troisième raison justifiant la règle qui est présentée dans l’ouvrage de Wigmore est le risqued’embrouiller le juge des faits. Les déclarations faites à la barre des témoins (ou dans des affidavits) sont des éléments de preuve. Lesdéclarations faites dans le cadre de l’argumentation faite après la présentation de la preuve ne le sont pas. Le juge des faits ne doit sefonder que sur ces premières déclarations.
Toutefois, permettre à une même personne de se porter à la fois témoin et avocat pourraitoccasionner une certaine confusion quant aux déclarations qui sont des éléments de preuve et celles qui ne le sont pas. Cela pourraitentraîner des décisions qui ne sont pas fondées uniquement sur la preuve, ce que l’administration de la justice ne saurait tolérer. Même siles juges sont moins susceptibles que les jurés de commettre ce type d’erreur, ce qui atténue cette préoccupation, cela demeure possible. [14] Une autre considération vaut la peine d’être mentionnée.
L’avocat qui agit comme témoin metsa propre crédibilité en cause, comme tout autre témoin (voir R. c. Deslauriers (Man. C.A.), (MB CA), [1992] M.J.No. 502 (QL) (C.A.)). Toutefois, à la différence de tout autre témoin, le juge compte sur l’avocat. Même si l’avocat qui agit commetémoin conserve sa qualité d’avocat, il faut qu’un juge puisse compter sur le fait qu’il n’induira pas sciemment la Cour en erreur, qu’ilfera preuve de sincérité et qu’il l’aidera à atteindre le bon résultat. L’avocat dont le témoignage est jugé inexact verra peut-être sacrédibilité réduite, de façon générale, aux yeux du juge.
Cela nuirait tant à l’aide que l’avocat peut fournir au juge qu’à sa capacité depersuader le tribunal pour le compte de son client. [15] Quoi qu’il en soit, Wigmore indique que [TRADUCTION] « les tribunaux qui ont abordé cettequestion depuis 1846 […] ont […] refusé, presque à l’unanimité, d’énoncer une règle d’interdiction » (vol. 6, à la p. 602). [16] Au lieu de rejeter la preuve ou d’ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès, d’une part, ou depermettre à l’avocat d’agir comme témoin, d’autre part, les tribunaux ont pris l’habitude d’exercer leur compétence inhérente de radier dudossier l’avocat qui a agi comme témoin.
Les premiers indices de cette pratique sont apparus dans les motifs du juge Taylor dansWilliams c. Williams and Stewart, [1949] S.J. No. 11 (QL), au par. 5. Au Nouveau-Brunswick, le juge Stevenson a fait allusion à cettepratique dans New Brunswick Milk Dealers Association c. New Brunswick Milk Marketing Board (1984), (NB KB), 56 R.N.-B. (2e) 413, [1984] A.N.-B. no 263 (QL), au par. 7, tout comme l’a fait le juge Ryan (tel était alors son titre) dans New Brunswick (Board of Management) c. Connors (1987), (NB KB), 74 R.N.-B. (2e) 367, [1986] A.N.-B. no 896 (QL),au par. 3.
Dans notre province, un des premiers exemples d’une décision publiée sur une motion dans laquelle on demandait la radiationpour cette raison est River Road Co-op Ltd. et al. c. Ultra Maintenance Ltd. et al. (1997), (NB KB), 186 R.N.-B. (2e) 140, [1997] A.N.-B. no 38 (QL), où le juge McLellan a rejeté la motion.
[17] Que ce soit consciemment ou non, les tribunaux ont probablement développé cette pratique en réponse aux préoccupations soulevées par Wigmore, selon lesquelles ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès pour remédier au manquement d’un avocat à une règle de déontologie reviendrait à punir un client innocent (à la p. 606). La déclaration par la Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique qu’un client a le droit de présenter des éléments de preuve admissibles de la part de quiconque, y compris d’avocats, est aussi pertinente (voir Phoenix c. Metcalfe , [1974] B.C.J. No. 903 (QL) (C.A.), au par. 5 ). En fin de compte, si on élimine, au
chapitre des mesures de redressement appropriées, la possibilité d’ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès ou d’interdire à un avocat de se porter témoin, la seule mesure de redressement qui reste est la radiation de l’avocat du dossier, bien que cela ne soit pas toujours nécessaire. B. La question fondamentale [18] Le fil conducteur dans les raisons sous-tendant la règle interdisant à un avocat de se porter à la fois témoin et avocat dans une même instance est qu’un manquement à la règle peut faire obstacle à la bonne administration de la justice.
Il est par conséquent approprié que l’administration de la justice soit une considération cruciale lorsque le juge détermine s’il y a lieu ou non de radier du dossier un avocat qui a présenté, ou qui présentera, un témoignage de vive voix ou par affidavit dans le cadre de l’instance.
À mon avis, la question fondamentale qu’un juge doit poser est celle de savoir si, dans les circonstances, compte tenu tant de l’objectif de la règle interdisant à un avocat de se porter à la fois témoin et avocat dans une même instance que des intérêts opposés en cause, la bonne administration de la justice exige que l’avocat soit radié du dossier. C. Le cadre d’analyse
(1) Le rejet d’un critère de démarcation nette [19] Comme je l’ai expliqué ci-dessus, le fait que l’avocat représentant une
partie présentera un témoignage n’est pas en soi un motif d’exclure ce témoignage ou d’ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès. Plutôt, lorsqu’un avocat enlève sa toge et monte à la barre des témoins, au sens littéral ou figuré, l’avocat et le client risquent la radiation de l’avocat du dossier de l’instance.
L’intimé en l’espèce nous invite à considérer ce risque comme une certitude en adoptant ce qui a été décrit comme une démarche [TRADUCTION] « de démarcation nette ». [20] L’intimé n’a mentionné aucun précédent direct ou persuasif à l’appui d’un tel changement d’optique, et cet argument me paraît sans fondement. Tout critère qui n’émane pas du pouvoir discrétionnaire du juge serait incompatible avec la jurisprudence de notre Cour, comme l’arrêt Saint John Shipbuilding Limited c.
Bow Valley Husky (Bermuda) Limited , Husky Oil Ltd., Bow Valley Industries Ltd., Bow Drill Three Partnership and 384830 Alberta Inc. , 2002 NBCA 41 , 251 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 102. Même si le facteur d’inhabilité sous-jacent dans l’arrêt Saint John Shipbuilding était l’existence d’un conflit d’intérêts, les principes que le juge d’appel Drapeau a soulignés ont une application beaucoup plus large.
L’arrêt Saint John Shipbuilding reconnaît expressément que le pouvoir de déclarer l’inhabilité d’un avocat nécessite l’exercice d’un pouvoir judiciaire discrétionnaire (au par. 28). [21] Un critère de démarcation nette serait aussi incompatible avec l’arrêt Hughes de notre Cour, où le juge d’appel Robertson a expliqué qu’on avait ordonné la radiation de l’avocat du dossier « après avoir pris en compte l’ensemble des circonstances et écarté l’option d’une invalidation de l’affidavit [de l’avocat] » (au par. 2).
Il serait aussi contraire à des décisions de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, comme River Road Co-op , où le juge McLellan a dit [TRADUCTION] « qu’il fallait adopter une attitude souple » (au par. 19), et LeBlanc c. Allain et al. , 2003 NBBR 141 , 261 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 227. [22] À mon avis, les arrêts Saint John Shipbuilding et Hughes , ainsi que de nombreuses décisions de partout au pays, appuient la proposition selon laquelle un juge peut , dans l’exercice de son pouvoir judiciaire discrétionnaire, radier un avocat du dossier lorsqu’il se porte, ou pourrait se porter, à la fois témoin et avocat dans une même instance.
(2) La démarche appropriée pour solliciter la radiation [23] Comme le dit l’arrêt Hughes , « la courtoisie professionnelle et les responsabilités[s] d’auxiliaire de justice exigent d’un avocat qu’il appelle à l’attention de son confrère de la
partie adverse, s’il a présenté une preuve par affidavit relativement à une question litigieuse, la règle de common law et le Code de déontologie professionnelle du Barreau du
Nouveau-Brunswick » (au par. 3). Ce rappel devrait être fait peu importe si l’avocat de la
partie adverse a l’intention de soulever laquestion devant la cour, puisque c’est, comme l’a expliqué le juge d’appel Robertson, « un moyen simple d’éviter retards et embarrasaux intéressés » (ibid.). [24] Si, le rappel lui ayant été fait, l’avocat a toujours l’intention de témoigner, toute motion visantune déclaration d’inhabilité de l’avocat devrait, sauf circonstances exceptionnelles, respecter rigoureusement la procédure des motionsénoncée dans les Règles de procédure.
Cette procédure exige que l’auteur de la motion donne un préavis suffisant et qu’il joigne à sademande la preuve par affidavit nécessaire. [25] Même lorsqu’un tribunal envisage, de sa propre initiative, de radier un avocat du dossier,l’avocat et la
partie concernée doivent tous les deux bénéficier de l’équité procédurale.
(3) Questions préliminaires [26] La règle en cause en l’espèce exige d’abord que l’avocat, soit immédiatement soit à l’avenir,présente un témoignage dans la même instance dans laquelle il est également l’avocat d’une des parties. Lorsque cela se produit, et que letémoignage n’a pas trait à des questions de forme ou de procédure ou à des faits non contestés, soit la
partie adverse soit le juge quipréside peut soulever la question de la radiation de l’avocat du dossier. Lorsque la question qui se pose porte sur la possibilité quel’avocat présente un témoignage, le juge doit examiner soigneusement s’il serait prématuré d’ordonner sa radiation du dossier. Danscertains cas, comme dans l’affaire Essa (Township) c. Guergis; Membery c. Hill, (ON SCDC), [1993] O.J. No. 2581(QL), il se peut qu’on ne puisse pas dire avec certitude que l’avocat témoignera. Voir aussi Sogelco International Inc. c.
Pêcheries Cap Lumière Fisheries Ltd., (NB CA), [2004] A.N.-B. no 464 (QL) (C.A.), au par. 18, et la jurisprudence qui y est citée. [27] Rappelons-nous que, dans l’arrêt Hughes, la radiation a été ordonnée seulement après qu’on aitrejeté l’invalidation de l’affidavit de l’avocat. À mon avis, il s’agit d’une question préliminaire importante. Dans l’arrêt Hughes,l’affidavit de l’avocat contenait des éléments de preuve cruciaux. Ce n’est pas nécessairement toujours le cas. Dans certains cas, il sepeut que la preuve soit manifestement inadmissible ou qu’elle doive être rejetée pour un quelconque autre motif.
Si la preuve ne va pasêtre admise, il n’y a aucune raison de radier l’avocat du dossier. [28] En résumé, il y a deux questions préliminaires :
(1) Est-il suffisamment certain que l’avocat témoignera dans la même instance que celle dans laquelle il est aussi avocat commisau dossier?
(2) Le témoignage qu’il a l’intention de présenter sera-t-il admis? [29] L’avocat qui se portera aussi témoin est radié du dossier par le juge exerçant son pouvoirdiscrétionnaire seulement lorsqu’on répond par l’affirmative aux deux questions préliminaires et lorsque la bonne administration de lajustice milite en faveur de la radiation de l’avocat.
(4) Facteurs à examiner [30] Comme je l’ai indiqué, la question fondamentale qu’un juge doit poser est celle de savoir si,dans les circonstances, la bonne administration de la justice nécessite que l’avocat soit radié du dossier, compte tenu tant de l’objectif dela règle interdisant à un avocat de se porter à la fois témoin et avocat dans une même instance que des intérêts opposés en cause. [31] Dans l’affaire Essa (Township), souvent citée, le juge O’Brien, de la Cour de justice del’Ontario (Division générale), Cour divisionnaire, a accepté les observations présentées pour le compte de la Advocates’ Society selonlesquelles [TRADUCTION] « dans ce genre de demande, un tribunal doit aborder l’affaire en adoptant une démarche souple et examinerchaque affaire selon son bien-fondé » (au par. 48).
Il a ensuite indiqué que de nombreux facteurs devraient être pris en compte et a dresséune liste non exhaustive de ceux qui pourraient l’être :
[TRADUCTION] • le stade de la procédure; • la probabilité que le témoin soit appelé; • la bonne foi de la
partie qui fait la demande; • l’importance de la preuve qui sera présentée; • les répercussions de la radiation de l’avocat du dossier sur le droit de la
partie d’être représentée par l’avocat de son choix; • s’il s’agit d’un procès devant juge ou jury; • la probabilité qu’un véritable conflit en résulte ou que la preuve soit [TRADUCTION] « viciée »; • la
partie qui appellera le témoin, par exemple, s’il existe une probabilité que l’avocat soit en mesure de contre-interroger un témoin favorable, le juge du procès pourra statuer afin d’empêcher cet avantage injuste; • les liens ou les rapports entre l’avocat, le témoin éventuel et les parties participant au litige. [32] Je conviens que quelques-uns ou la totalité de ces facteurs peuvent être pertinents selon les circonstances, mais qu’il peut aussi y en avoir d’autres.
Ce qui importe, c’est que le juge, en examinant l’affaire, tienne compte de l’ensemble des circonstances lorsqu’il détermine si la bonne administration de la justice nécessite que l’avocat soit radié du dossier. D. L’application du cadre d’analyse à la présente affaire [33] En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion n’a suivi aucun cadre d’analyse dans l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire. Il semble que le juge ait appliqué un critère de démarcation nette. Il s’agit d’une erreur de droit.
Par conséquent, en appliquant la norme de contrôle applicable aux ordonnances discrétionnaires, nous ne sommes pas tenus de faire preuve de déférence envers la conclusion du juge. Il nous incombe alors de déterminer si, en appliquant les principes appropriés, l’avocat devrait être radié du dossier. [34] Les parties en l’espèce sont engagées dans ce qui a été décrit comme une instance en divorce litigieuse et sont toutes les deux représentées par des avocats : Janik Collette Keddy et Shannon Doran, c.r., pour l’époux, et Howard Myatt, pour l’épouse.
À un moment donné, il a été ordonné aux parties de choisir un conseiller pour leurs enfants. Lorsqu’elles se sont trouvées incapables de parvenir à une entente sur ce choix, M e Doran a déposé une motion afin de demander à la Cour de désigner une certaine personne. L’épouse s’est opposée au choix de l’époux. En réponse à la motion, M e Myatt, qui avait déjà eu une expérience dans le cadre de son travail avec la personne que l’époux proposait, a déposé son propre affidavit. Dans cet affidavit, M e Myatt relate ce qu’il a vécu dans un dossier antérieur où M e Doran avait demandé à cette personne de témoigner à
titre de témoin expert. M e Myatt affirme que la témoin experte avait donné de son plein gré des renseignements qui étaient faux et sans pertinence quant à la question dont la cour était saisie, et qu’elle avait présenté une image négative de son client. Il a aussi décrit une opinion exprimée lors du réinterrogatoire qui ne relevait pas du domaine de compétence de la témoin, opinion que le juge avait rejetée parce que la question n’avait pas été soulevée lors du contre-interrogatoire. M e Myatt soutient de plus qu’[TRADUCTION] « il ressortait clairement du témoignage de [la témoin experte] qu’elle avait été préparée par [l’avocate de la
partie adverse] pour offrir ce témoignage inapproprié au cours de son réinterrogatoire ». Bref, il estimait que la témoin n’était pas impartiale. [35] Comme il reconnaissait qu’il ne pouvait pas se porter à la fois témoin et avocat à l’audition de la motion, M e Myatt a pris des dispositions pour que Patrick Hurley, c.r., soit présent à celle-ci afin qu’il présente des observations pour le compte de l’épouse.
À l’audience, M e Hurley s’est identifié comme un [TRADUCTION] « mandataire » de M e Myatt. [36] Avant la présentation de toute argumentation ayant trait au bien-fondé de la motion de l’époux, M e Doran a soulevé une question préliminaire : elle a demandé que M e Myatt soit radié en tant qu’avocat commis au dossier au motif qu’il ne pouvait pas se porter à la fois témoin et avocat dans une même instance. [37] La courtoisie professionnelle à laquelle le juge d’appel Robertson a fait allusion dans l’arrêt Hughes n’était pas du tout présente dans les mesures prises par M e Doran.
Elle n’a pas porté l’affaire à l’attention de M e Myatt et n’a pas non plus déposé de motion sollicitant sa radiation du dossier. Elle a tout simplement soulevé la question à l’audience sur la motion sollicitant la nomination d’un conseiller, et ce, à la surprise de M es Myatt et Hurley. À mon avis, le juge n’aurait pas dû entendre la [TRADUCTION] « demande » de M e Doran. Il n’y avait aucune circonstance exceptionnelle justifiant une dérogation aux Règles de
procédure . Le juge a néanmoins procédé à l’audition des arguments et a ordonné la radiation de M e Myatt en tant qu’avocat commis au dossier pour l’épouse dans l’instance en divorce.
Pour une raison inexplicable, le juge a ensuite ajourné la motion de l’époux visant la nomination d’un conseiller, même si M es Collette Keddy et Hurley étaient tous les deux présents et prêts à présenter leurs arguments. [38] Il est difficile de comprendre, à partir d’un examen du dossier, pourquoi le juge s’est senti contraint de radier M e Myatt en tant qu’avocat commis au dossier lorsque la motion visant la nomination d’un conseiller n’aurait eu aucune répercussion réelle sur l’instance en divorce comme telle.
Comme je l’ai indiqué précédemment, le juge semble avoir appliqué un critère de démarcation nette. [39] Devant le juge saisi de la motion et à nouveau devant nous, l’avocat de l’époux a soulevé la question de la qualité de M e Hurley. Rappelons-nous qu’il s’est décrit comme un [TRADUCTION] « mandataire » de M e Myatt. En fait, cela est sans conséquence. Comme l’a expliqué M e Hurley, les avocats comparaissent souvent comme mandataires d’autres avocats lors de comparutions de routine. Il en est particulièrement ainsi dans le domaine du droit criminel.
En fait, le soi-disant mandataire se présente pour représenter le client devant la Cour. Toutefois, le terme [TRADUCTION] « mandataire » est simplement employé pour indiquer que l’avocat n’est pas l’avocat commis au dossier dans l’affaire en cause. Cela aurait dû être évident pour tous les intéressés, et l’argument de l’époux ayant trait au droit des mandats est pour le moins frivole. [40] En appliquant le cadre d’analyse détaillé ci-dessus à l’affaire qui nous occupe, je conclus que M e Myatt n’aurait pas dû être radié en tant qu’avocat commis au dossier pour l’épouse dans l’instance en divorce.
J’ai déjà traité des questions de procédure et exprimé mon avis selon lequel la demande, dans la manière dont elle a été présentée, n’aurait même pas dû être entendue. Mis à
part ces préoccupations procédurales, la prochaine étape consiste à examiner les deux questions préliminaires. [41] La première question est de savoir s’il est suffisamment certain que M e Myatt présentera un témoignage dans la même instance dans laquelle il est aussi avocat commis au dossier. En l’espèce, son affidavit avait déjà été déposé, donc la prématurité n’était pas en litige.
Toutefois, si la règle de courtoisie avait été respectée et si M e Myatt avait été informé de l’intention de M e Doran de solliciter sa radiation de l’instance au complet, il aurait fort bien pu retirer son affidavit. [42] Selon les Règles de procédure , une motion est une étape de l’instance (voir Mockler c. Nouveau-Brunswick et autres , 2019 NBCA 10 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 80 (QL), au par. 15 ).
Par conséquent, la première question préliminaire reçoit une réponse affirmative. [43] La seconde question préliminaire, qui a trait à l’admissibilité du témoignage de l’avocat, présente une certaine difficulté parce que le dossier au complet ne nous a pas été soumis. Il est impossible de déterminer pourquoi et dans quelles circonstances le juge a ordonné aux parties de choisir un conseiller pour les enfants, ni où il a puisé la compétence pour le faire. Il semblerait que le conseiller n’allait pas présenter de témoignage d’expert au procès.
Néanmoins, l’affidavit de M e Myatt relate simplement son interprétation d’une expérience antérieure qu’il avait eue avec la personne que l’époux proposait comme conseillère pour les enfants, lorsqu’elle avait témoigné en qualité de témoin expert. Il offre des conclusions, sans preuve des faits à l’appui, dont les déclarations de M e Myatt selon lesquelles la témoin avait donné un faux témoignage et avait été [TRADUCTION] « préparée » par l’avocat de la
partie adverse pour qu’elle présente des éléments de preuve qui ne relevaient pas de son domaine de compétence. Je souligne que, dans l’affaire antérieure à laquelle M e Myatt renvoie, la juge, en statuant sur l’objection soulevée par M e Myatt relativement à une
partie du témoignage de la témoin, a interdit la question au réinterrogatoire parce qu’elle n’avait pas été soulevée pendant le contre-interrogatoire, et elle ne s’est pas prononcée sur l’impartialité de la témoin. L’affidavit ne dit rien au sujet des compétences de la personne à
titre de conseillère pour les enfants. À mon avis, l’affidavit de M e Myatt était sans pertinence et aurait dû être radié. Si le juge saisi de la motion s’était penché sur la seconde question préliminaire, il aurait radié l’affidavit et donné une réponse négative à la question.
Par conséquent, l’enquête portant sur la radiation de M e Myatt en tant qu’avocat commis au dossier n’aurait pas eu besoin d’aller plus loin, et la [TRADUCTION] « demande » visant à le radier aurait été rejetée. [44] Toutefois, si le juge avait néanmoins poursuivi l’enquête et avait examiné comme il se doit l’ensemble des circonstances afin de déterminer si la bonne administration de la justice exigeait la radiation de M e Myatt, je conclus qu’il aurait nécessairement jugé qu’elle ne l’exigeait pas. [45] La motion en radiation a été déposée tôt dans l’instance – à l’audition d’une motion interlocutoire qui n’a ni réglé ni même abordé une question de fond soulevée dans le litige.
Ce facteur milite fortement à l’encontre de la radiation. Étant donné qu’une instance peut effectuer différents virages au cours de son déroulement, il faudrait établir solidement les
autres facteurs pour justifier la radiation d’un avocat à un stade aussi précoce. Cela est particulièrement vrai du fait qu’il n’y avait aucun véritable risque que Me Myatt soit obligé de témoigner au procès. Je rejette absolument l’argument présenté par Me Doran au juge saisi de la motion selon lequel elle voulait avoir l’occasion de contre-interroger Me Myatt au procès. Il était évident que Me Myatt n’auraitaucune preuve à présenter au procès.
Il a déposé un affidavit s’opposant à une motion visant la nomination d’un conseiller, une questionqui aurait été entièrement résolue par la décision rendue par le juge sur la motion.
Cette question n’avait rien à voir avec le divorce ou lesmesures accessoires sollicitées. [46] L’absence d’une motion en bonne et due forme qui soit accompagnée d’affidavits à l’appui rend difficile la tâche d’évaluer la bonne foi de l’époux lorsqu’il a demandé la radiation de Me Myatt en tant qu’avocat représentant l’épouse.Le fait que la motion a été présentée sans préavis, dans le mépris total des nombreuses décisions de notre Cour qui dénoncent le recoursaux embuscades comme stratégie d’instance, sans proposer de solutions de rechange à la radiation de l’avocat, comme la radiation de l’affidavit, ainsi que l’argument insoutenable selon lequel Me Myatt serait interrogé au procès, sont tous des facteurs qui militent àl’encontre du fait que la demande de radiation a été présentée de bonne foi.
Par conséquent, il serait pardonnable de supposer que la demande visant la radiation de Me Myatt était une tactique visant à priver une
partie à un litige familial de l’avocat de son choix. Commel’a dit le juge Léger, [TRADUCTION] « [l]es tribunaux hésitent à déclarer des avocats inhabiles lorsque la motion est motivée par des considérations d’ordre tactique » (voir Dugas, Re, 2003 NBBR 197 261 R.N.-B. (2e) 315). Voir aussi River Road Co-op, aupar. 20. Si c’était le cas, cela militerait fortement à l’encontre de la radiation. [47] De plus, comme je l’ai indiqué ci-dessus, le témoignage de Me Myatt contestant la nominationde la conseillère aurait été sans lien avec les questions au cœur du litige, à savoir le divorce et les mesures accessoires.
Cela militefortement à l’encontre de sa radiation du dossier. Je ne dis pas qu’il faut toujours éviter de radier un avocat lorsque son témoignage dansle cadre d’une motion ne sera pas pertinent à un stade ultérieur de l’instance. Procéder ainsi équivaudrait à établir une règle selonlaquelle un avocat pourrait témoigner dans presque toute procédure interlocutoire sans problème.
Toutefois, lorsque la preuve sera sanspertinence dans les stades ultérieurs de l’instance, une plus grande importance doit être accordée aux autres facteurs militant en faveur dela radiation pour justifier celle-ci. [48] Radier Me Myatt du dossier en l’espèce aurait pour effet de priver l’épouse de l’avocat qui lareprésente depuis 20 mois. Bien qu’il soit toujours difficile pour une
partie à un litige de perdre l’avocat de son choix, on ne peutminimiser l’importance des difficultés que cela causerait à une
partie à une longue instance en droit de la famille. Dans les circonstances,ce facteur milite fortement à l’encontre de la radiation. [49] Les facteurs présentés ci-dessus étaient particulièrement importants en l’espèce et, en l’absencede tout facteur militant en faveur de la radiation de l’avocat du dossier, il va de soi que la [TRADUCTION] « demande » visant la radiation de Me Myatt aurait dû être rejetée étant donné que la bonne administration de la justice, dans les circonstances, n’exigeait passa radiation. III.
Conclusion [50] C'est pour ces motifs que j'étais d'accord avec mes collègues pour accueillir l’appel et annulerl’ordonnance du juge radiant l’avocat du dossier. Pour conclure, j’accorderais à l’épouse des dépens de 1 000 $ en première instance et de5 000 $ en appel, ces derniers englobant les dépens liés à la demande en autorisation d’appel.