Nicolas Landry Appellant v. His Majesty The King, 2024 SCC 2
Opinion
SUPREME COURT OF CANADA Citation: R. v. Landry, 2024 SCC 2 Appeal Heard: January 17, 2024 Judgment Rendered: January 17, 2024 Docket: 40394 Between: Nicolas Landry Appellant and His Majesty The King Respondent Official English Translation Coram: Karakatsanis, Côté, Kasirer, O’Bonsawin and Moreau JJ. Judgment Read By : (paras. 1 to 4) Karakatsanis J. Majority: Karakatsanis, Kasirer, O’Bonsawin and Moreau JJ. Dissent: Côté J. Counsel: Ariane Gagnon-Rocque and Maude Cloutier , for the appellant. Patrick Cardinal and Nicolas Abran , for the respondent. Note: This document is subject to editorial revision before its reproduction in final form in the Canada Supreme Court Reports .
N o 40394 Le 19 janvier 2024 January 19, 2024 Coram : Les juges Karakatsanis, Côté, Kasirer, O’Bonsawin et Moreau Coram: Karakatsanis, Côté, Kasirer, O’Bonsawin and Moreau JJ. ENTRE : Nicolas Landry Appelant - et - Sa Majesté le Roi Intimé BETWEEN: Nicolas Landry Appellant - and - His Majesty The King Respondent
JUGEMENT L’appel interjeté contre l’arrêt de la Cour d’appel du Québec (Montréal), numéros 500-10-006914-186 et 500-10-007054- 198, 2022 QCCA 1186 , daté du 6 septembre 2022, a été entendu le 17 janvier 2024 et la Cour a prononcé oralement le même jour le jugement suivant : La juge Karakatsanis — Il s’agit d’un appel de plein droit à l’encontre d’un arrêt ayant fait l’objet d’une dissidence sur une question de droit. En l’espèce, la majorité de la Cour d’appel du Québec a confirmé la déclaration de culpabilité pour fraude et la juge dissidente aurait substitué ce verdict pour celui d’une tentative de fraude.
Il y a donc un « désaccord qui influence le résultat » au sens de l’arrêt R. c. D’Amico , 2019 CSC 23 , [2019] 2 R.C.S. 394, par. 3 . La majorité de la Cour est d’avis de rejeter l’appel, essentiellement pour les motifs des juges majoritaires de la Cour d’appel. La juge Côté, pour sa part, aurait accueilli l’appel en
partie pour substituer une déclaration de culpabilité de tentative de fraude à celle de fraude, essentiellement pour les motifs de la juge Cotnam et aurait renvoyé l’affaire au tribunal de première instance pour la détermination de la peine. En conséquence, l’appel est rejeté.
JUDGMENT The appeal from the judgment of the Court of Appeal of Quebec (Montréal), Numbers 500-10-006914-186 and 500-10-007054- 198, 2022 QCCA 1186 , dated September 6, 2022, was heard on January 17, 2024, and the Court on that day delivered the following judgment orally: [translation] Karakatsanis J. — This is an appeal as of right from a judgment that was the subject of dissent on a question of law. In this case, the majority of the Quebec Court of Appeal upheld the fraud conviction and the dissenting judge would have substituted a verdict of attempted fraud for that verdict.
There is therefore a “disagreement which affects the result” within the meaning of R. v. D’Amico , 2019 SCC 23 , [2019] 2 S.C.R. 394, at para. 3 . The majority of the Court is of the view that the appeal should be dismissed, substantially for the reasons of the majority of the Court of Appeal. Côté J., for her part, would have allowed the appeal in part to substitute an attempted fraud conviction for the fraud conviction, substantially for the reasons of Cotnam J.A., and would have remitted the matter to the trial court for sentencing. Therefore, the appeal is dismissed. J.C.S.C. J.S.C.C.