2018 NBCA 65, 2018 NBCA 65
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 55-16-CA LUC LeBLANC APPELLANT LUC LeBLANC APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE LeBlanc v. R., 2018 NBCA 65 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LaVigne LeBlanc c.
R., 2018 NBCA 65 CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: February 3, 2016 (conviction) July 21, 2016 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 3 février 2016 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 21 juillet 2016 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2015 NBQB 092 Décision frappée d’appel : 2015 NBBR 092 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: June 28, 2018 Appel entendu : le 28 juin 2018 Judgment rendered: October 18, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 18 octobre 2018
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice LaVigne Concurred in by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Nathan Gorham For the respondent: Monica McQueen and Christian Girouard-Leclerc Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelant : Nathan Gorham Pour l’intimée : Monica McQueen et Christian Girouard-Leclerc THE COURT The appeal is allowed. The convictions are quashed and a new trial is ordered. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli.
Les déclarations de culpabilité sont annulées et la tenue d’un nouveau procès est ordonnée . The judgment of the Court was delivered by LAVIGNE, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] On August 15, 2013, in conjunction with an ongoing investigation and related surveillance, police stopped a 40-foot motorhome owned and driven by Luc LeBlanc. Jeffrey Bujold was also an occupant of the vehicle. A search of the motorhome resulted in the seizure of three kilograms of cocaine, 19,000 methamphetamine pills, and 12 kilograms of cannabis resin.
Luc LeBlanc and Jeffrey Bujold were jointly accused of trafficking in cocaine, possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking, trafficking in methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine for the purpose of trafficking, trafficking in cannabis resin and possession of cannabis resin for the purpose of trafficking. Mr. Bujold pleaded guilty to trafficking in cocaine, cannabis resin and methamphetamine. On October 1, 2013, he was sentenced to four years in jail. The prosecution expected Mr. Bujold would testify the drugs belonged to Mr. LeBlanc. Mr.
Bujold was brought before the jury, but he refused to testify; however, the certificates of conviction were entered into evidence. [ 2 ] Mr. LeBlanc was self-represented. On November 24, 2015, pursuant to a motion by the Crown, the trial judge appointed solicitor Mathieu Boutet as amicus curiae to assist – notwithstanding Mr. LeBlanc’s opposition. Mr. Boutet attended all subsequent appearances, including the jury trial which was held from January 19, 2016, to February 3, 2016.
[ 3 ] The central issue at trial was whether Mr. LeBlanc had knowledge of the drugs found in the motorhome. The Crown’s case was based on circumstantial evidence. [ 4 ] Mr. LeBlanc did not testify but alleged in his submissions to the jury that the drugs in the motorhome belonged to Mr. Bujold and he had no knowledge of them. The jury returned with guilty verdicts on all counts. Mr. LeBlanc was sentenced to imprisonment for six years, less credit, resulting in a net sentence of 19 and one-half months. Mr. LeBlanc appealed the convictions, seeking a new trial.
The Crown appealed the sentence, requesting a nine-year custodial term on the basis the trial judge erred in characterizing the accused as a mere drug runner. This decision deals with the conviction appeal only. [ 5 ] For the reasons that follow, I would allow the appeal. I find that the trial judge erred in admitting hearsay evidence and then by failing to provide an adequate limiting instruction on the prohibited use of this evidence. Applying the principles elaborated in Haché v.
R. , 2007 NBCA 79 , 323 N.B.R. (2d) 254 , I find this to be a serious error of law which cannot be remedied by the curative proviso contained in s. 686(1)(b)(iii) of the Criminal Code of Canada. I would set aside the convictions and order a new trial. II. Brief overview of the evidence at trial [ 6 ] In the summer of 2013, a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police obtained a warrant to install a tracking device on Mr. LeBlanc’s motorhome. At trial, the prosecution tendered evidence gathered from the tracking device that indicated Mr.
LeBlanc’s motorhome travelled from the Moncton area to Montreal and back three times between July 29, 2013, and August 15, 2013: namely on July 29-31, 2013; August 1-3, 2013; and August 12-15, 2013. On the first trip, the motorhome spent 10 hours in Montreal before heading back to New Brunswick. The second trip began 27 hours after the motorhome returned from the first trip and the motorhome remained in Montreal for eight and a half hours before returning to New Brunswick. On the third trip, the motorhome was in Montreal for approximately 42 hours.
The jury was told that drugs found in the Moncton area were usually transported from the west to the east as organized crime groups had their headquarters in Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver. [ 7 ] On the first trip, the tracking device data showed the motorhome had made a stop at the Old Cosmo Complex at the beginning of the trip. Constable Pierre Audoux observed the motorhome on its return from Montreal, on July 31, 2013, parked at the Irving gas station in Sussex, New Brunswick. He observed Mr. LeBlanc inside the motorhome and James Hawthorne pumping gas into the motorhome.
He continued the surveillance and observed the motorhome return behind the Old Cosmo Complex in Moncton. While parked, Mr. Hawthorne exited the passenger seat, entered the Old Cosmo Complex and returned a few minutes later and then the vehicle departed. From there the motorhome went to Mr. LeBlanc's residence in Shediac. [ 8 ] There was no police surveillance during the second trip. [ 9 ] On August 15, 2013, members of the RCMP saw the motorhome as it travelled past Jemseg, New Brunswick, on its return from Montreal. The police followed and continued to observe the vehicle as it drove to Moncton.
In Moncton, the vehicle stopped at the Battery House store. Corporal Pierre Chiasson, one of the officers conducting surveillance, observed Mr. LeBlanc walk from the Battery House and enter the motorhome. This was the first time during this trip the police observed Mr. LeBlanc with his motorhome. [ 10 ] After the motorhome left the Battery House, Corporal Chiasson could see that Mr. LeBlanc was driving the motorhome. As it neared the highway exit to Shediac, New Brunswick, the order was given to stop the vehicle.
The motorhome was stopped on the exit ramp; police officers entered and arrested the two occupants, Mr. LeBlanc and Mr. Bujold. Neither man was sitting in the front seats by the time the officers entered the motorhome. [ 11 ] The officers moved the motorhome to a parking lot nearby and began to search it. They did not have a warrant to search. They found the following drugs: • in the top drawer of a nightstand situated between the washroom and the bed, they found two bags of methamphetamine pills;
• on the floor near the foot of the bed, they found a Sobeys plastic grocery bag containing nineteen Ziploc bags, each with approximately 1000 methamphetamine pills; • in a compartment beneath the plywood under the mattress of the bed, they found a blue duffel bag with a smaller black bag underneath. The blue duffel bag contained several bricks − approximately one kilogram each − of cannabis resin wrapped in red plastic or tape; and, • in the black bag, they found three bricks of cocaine – just over one kilogram each − wrapped in duct tape. [ 12 ] Mr.
LeBlanc established through witnesses that the “slides” on the motorhome – panels that expand to make more room on the side of the vehicle – were open at the time of the search, but they were not open at the time the officers entered the vehicle or while the vehicle was being driven. His position was that if the slides were closed, the grocery bag which contained the methamphetamine pills would not have been in plain view, allowing the inference he didn’t know the bag – and the drugs it contained − were there.
The evidence does not show that the officers saw any drugs or a bag lying at the foot of the bed when they entered the motorhome and arrested its occupants. [ 13 ] While searching the motorhome on August 15, 2013, Constable Raymond found the motor vehicle registration in Mr. LeBlanc’s name, as well as several items connecting Mr. LeBlanc to the Old Cosmo Complex, such as: Mr. LeBlanc’s driver's licence, a name tag saying “Cosmo owner,” and a document from the Department of Public Safety, Compliance and Enforcement Licensing Services listing Mr.
LeBlanc as the director of the Old Cosmo Complex. [ 14 ] On August 15, 2013, following the arrest of Mr. LeBlanc, the police searched the Cosmo nightclub and found, in a room in an isolated area of the basement, a hydraulic press – such as is used by some traffickers to mould cocaine into a brick. There was cocaine residue on wood and metal plates near the press. There was no evidence as to who had access to the area of the Cosmo where the press was discovered. Also, inside the Cosmo club, police found photographs of several employees of the club and Mr. LeBlanc. The prosecution also tendered evidence of Mr.
LeBlanc’s Facebook page depicting Mr. LeBlanc wearing a shirt that read “Owner,” with a Cosmo Complex sign in the background of the picture. An officer testified that Mr. LeBlanc had said at the bail hearing that he sought an earlier hearing as he “had the Cosmo Complex” and several employees. [ 15 ] Also, the prosecution presented evidence that on August 15, 2013, a search warrant was executed at Mr. LeBlanc’s residence in Shediac where the officers found small amounts of methamphetamine, as well as 2.6 grams of cannabis resin and rolling papers in an old trailer parked in the backyard.
There was no evidence as to who owned the trailer. The police also seized a digital scale from a wall unit on the second floor of the residence. III. Grounds of appe al [ 16 ] The appellant raises six grounds of appeal.
He contends the trial judge committed reversible error by: 1. misdirecting the jury concerning the third-party suspect evidence; 2. misdirecting the jury regarding the prosecutor’s secondary actor theory; 3. failing to direct the jury concerning post-offence conduct evidence. 4. admitting hearsay evidence and then failing to direct the jury concerning the prohibited use of the evidence; 5. dismissing the adjournment application; and, 6. dismissing the s. 8 Charter application.
IV. Analysis [ 17 ] I will begin with the fourth ground of appeal as I find this ground determinative of the appeal. The appellant alleges the trial judge erred in admitting hearsay evidence and then failing to direct the jury concerning its prohibited use. [ 18 ] Within this ground of appeal, the defence challenges the admissibility of tracking device evidence and evidence of disreputable conduct that was tendered as narrative evidence. A. Tracking Device Evidence [ 19 ] As noted, a warrant was obtained to install a tracking device on Mr. LeBlanc’s motorhome. The warrant was not challenged.
The tracking device stayed on the motorhome from April 26, 2013, to August 15, 2013. During the trial, the prosecution tendered into evidence a tracking report and tracking maps that were generated from tracking data the police received by email on their computer each morning. The email contained the tracking data for the vehicle from the previous day.
The defence argues this was inadmissible hearsay evidence as there was no information as to who or what generated the data that was sent to the police. [ 20 ] As per s. 492.1(8) of the Criminal Code , a tracking device “means a device, including a computer program […], that may be used to obtain or record tracking data or to transmit it by a means of telecommunication,” and tracking data “means data that relates to the location of a transaction, individual or thing,” and finally, data “means representations, including signs, signals or symbols, that are capable of being understood by an individual or processed by a computer system or other device.” [ 21 ] Staff Sergeant Potvin testified the tracking device was no more than a GPS device installed on a vehicle, which works like a transponder.
It emits signals that are monitored on a computer which will indicate at any given time an exact location where a vehicle is positioned. He testified that Constable Audoux was tasked with monitoring the tracking device. [ 22 ] Constable Audoux, who prepared the tracking report, confirmed that the data used to prepare the report originated from the motorhome. Using his computer, he accessed the data gathered by the tracking device. He explained that when he opened the email, it would contain a map, like Google Earth.
On the map, there would be symbols that looked like thumbtacks, which represented the different locations where the vehicle had been the previous day. He described the tracking points he saw on the map. There could be as many as 600 points for one day, and they were in chronological order. If the motorhome was stationary, there would be several thumbtacks in the same position. When he placed his cursor over the thumbtacks, it would give him a date, time and location.
The times were in universal time code, but he converted this information to New Brunswick time. [ 23 ] Using this information, he prepared a tracking report dated August 16, 2013, demonstrating where Mr. LeBlanc’s motorhome had travelled. The report indicated the date, the time and the location, as well as the amount of time the vehicle spent at the location.
In the report, the location was not stated in GPS coordinates expressed in longitude and latitude; it was expressed as a civic address or the name of the place such as “Old Cosmo” or “Irving gas station.” Constable Audoux obtained this information from the map he received by email. By using Google Earth and a function called “street view,” he could obtain more specific information such as a civic address if one could be seen on the building identified on the map.
The report also noted six occurrences between July 29 and August 15, 2013, where the tracking data was confirmed by the observations of surveillance officers. [ 24 ] The tracking data received by Constable Audoux was also used by Corporal Martin Hachey. He uploaded the data into mapping software and created a tracking map for each trip to Montreal, along with close-up maps and Google Map aerial photographs (satellite imagery) of particular parts of the tracking, in both New Brunswick and the Montreal area, to demonstrate precisely where the motorhome had travelled.
He also did a live demonstration in court of what the data showed and this permitted him to zoom in for a close-up of specific locations. Corporal Hachey explained that the documents he prepared were basically visual representations of the information that was explained by Constable Audoux. [ 25 ] Although Crown counsel at trial referred to the tracking evidence as being narrative circumstantial evidence, he made it clear in several discussions before the evidence was accepted, that the purpose of the report and the tracking maps was to explain the movement of the motorhome.
There could be no doubt that this evidence was being tendered for the truth of its contents, namely to show where the vehicle had been. To suggest that Mr. LeBlanc was misled as to the intended use of the evidence is unreasonable.
[ 26 ] The question for this Court is whether the trial judge erred in admitting the report and the tracking maps. [ 27 ] Data obtained from a tracking device police installed on a vehicle was admitted in R. v. Black , 2009 NBPC 27 , [ 2009] N.B.J. No. 243 (QL) . Hutchinson J. explained that the tracking device operated on the same principle as a GPS tracking device. It gathered data and information with respect to the movements of the vehicle, and this information was then entered into a computer, which in turn provided sophisticated and accurate information as to the movements of the vehicle.
The trial judge relied heavily on the tracking evidence, the accuracy of which was corroborated by police visual surveillance, to conclude that the accused was the driver of the vehicle on each and every occasion captured by the tracking device and to find him guilty. An appeal from conviction and sentence was dismissed by the Court at 2010 NBCA 65 , 363 N.B.R. (2d) 316 , and an application for leave to appeal to the S.C.C. was dismissed at [2010] S.C.C.A. No. 469; however, the tracking device evidence was not discussed in these other proceedings. [ 28 ] Data from a GPS tracking device was also admitted in R. v.
Sauve , 2018 ONSC 4459 , [2018] O.J. No. 3884 (QL) , a very recent decision rendered on July 19, 2018. In that case, a rental car was installed with a GPS tracking device prior to it being rented. The device was installed by Mr. Januash Ginewek, the owner and operator of Genuine Tracking Solutions. Following the installation, the company tracked and monitored the vehicle in accordance with the client’s directions. In addition to recording the vehicle's location every five to ten minutes, the device also recorded when the vehicle was parked.
Police became aware of the tracking device installed on the vehicle and obtained the tracking data. The actual data extracted and produced was not in dispute; the meaning and weight to be attached to the data were. The tracking data produced by Mr. Ginewek was admitted in evidence, and so were the tracking maps that were prepared by Nicole Rebelo − an analyst from the Toronto Police Service Intelligence − using the vehicle coordinates from the GPS data provided by Mr. Ginewek. Mr. Ginewek and Ms. Rebelo were not qualified as expert witnesses.
They offered no opinion evidence outside of explaining what they did to produce the data and how to read it. The trial judge found the GPS data in many ways corroborated the evidence given by another witness as to where the vehicle had travelled; therefore, he relied on the tracking evidence to conclude that the vehicle was situated at a specific location in and around the time a shooting occurred at that location. [ 29 ] In the present case, the tracking device data itself was not controversial at trial. Mr.
LeBlanc challenged the relevance or meaning of the information contained in the report and the weight to be given to this evidence. His position was that absent any visual observation, the tracking evidence could not establish who was in the vehicle at any given time.
He argued that although the motorhome went to Montreal three times, there was no evidence that he was in the motorhome during the whole trip, or that anything illegal took place on the first two trips, or that he did anything illegal on those trips. [ 30 ] The accuracy or reliability of the data received by Constable Audoux by email was never questioned. Discussions were held in the absence of the jury concerning the admissibility of Constable Audoux’s report.
The amicus stated: “I have no problem with the date, time, location that’s - - that’s clearly in the tracking information that you would have receive[d]” (Transcript, January 22, 2016, Vol. 4, p. 28, lines 17-19). The amicus was concerned with some other comments found in the report, but his concerns were addressed and the report was admitted in evidence as were the tracking maps. [ 31 ] It seemed clear to the parties that the maps received by Constable Audoux tracked the location of the motorhome as it was moving.
The accuracy of the raw data was not challenged, and the visual surveillance done during the first and third trips corroborated the accuracy of the information gathered from the tracking data − on four occasions on July 31, 2013, and on two occasions on August 12, 2013. [ 32 ] There was no reason to doubt that the raw data received by Constable Audoux each morning on his computer correctly reflected the movement of the motorhome on the previous day. The trial judge did not err in admitting into evidence the tracking device evidence, including the tracking report and the tracking maps. B.
Narrative Evidence [ 33 ] This question turns on whether the concept of “narrative” evidence was misused as a way to bring otherwise inadmissible evidence onto the record. I find that it was. [ 34 ] Staff Sergeant André Potvin, the unit commander, was the prosecution’s first witness. He provided a general overview of the investigation dubbed “Operation J-Teaser.” In so doing he revealed information and reports that he
had received from other individuals. This type of evidence is generally referred to as narrative evidence – usually evidence necessary to put a context on the unfolding of the story. The content of statements admitted under the narrative exception is not hearsay because it is not admissible or received to prove the truth of its contents.
In the present case, the narrative evidence was introduced without objection; however, the jury was not cautioned the allegations of discreditable conduct and other claims alluded to by Staff Sergeant Potvin were not admitted, nor could they be relied on, for the truth of their contents. They were not instructed about the limited permissible use of this evidence.
(1) The impugned evidence [ 35 ] Staff Sergeant Potvin explained that when Mr. LeBlanc came to the attention of his unit in 2012, he had been told that Mr. LeBlanc was already under investigation by the Integrated Proceeds of Crime Unit in response to “reports of Mr. LeBlanc having been involved in suspicious money transactions, as well as been recently having purchased, with a colleague or a partner, a bar here downtown Moncton” (Transcript, January 19, 2016, Vol. 1, p. 27, lines 13-16).
When asked by Crown counsel, he acknowledged that no charges resulted from that investigation. [ 36 ] He testified that, in the summer of 2012, the police had obtained information “through various sources of information which indicated that Mr. LeBlanc also was involved in bringing large amounts of drugs in the Greater Moncton area as well as southeast New Brunswick” (Transcript, January 19, 2016, Vol. 1, p. 28, lines 4-7) (underlining added). Later in his evidence, he further elaborated: […] we had different – also information that had been received to us that not only Mr.
LeBlanc was allegedly and suspected of bringing drugs in the greater Moncton area, it was also strongly indicated by various reports from the community that some of these drugs were actually being sold out of a bar downtown Moncton, which is called the Old Cosmo Complex, which is the bar that I earlier referred to in my testimony. [Transcript, January 19, 2016, Vol. 1, p. 29, lines 18-23, and p. 30, lines 1-3] [Emphasis added.] [ 37 ] Staff Sergeant Potvin also testified that the police sought and obtained a judicial authorization to install a tracking device on Mr. LeBlanc’s vehicle.
When prompted by Crown counsel to explain to the jury what a judicial authorization was, he answered: It’s a court order based on an affidavit that is completed by a police officer. We appear before a – a judge and indicate that we have reasonable grounds to suspect, in this case, that a vehicle utilized by Mr. LeBlanc would be used to facilitate the transporting of drugs. And basically, along with that we – we swear an affidavit and the judge, if he’s satisfied on the grounds to suspect, will authorize us to have a tracking device installed on the vehicle.
Obviously, that is an installation that is done covertly. [Transcript, January 19, 2016, Vol. 1, p. 30, lines 16-23 and p. 31, lines 1-2] [ 38 ] Finally, he explained that on August 15, 2013, he gave orders to intercept the motorhome and arrest its occupants, voicing his opinion that: “there was no doubt in my mind, I had reasonable and probable grounds to believe that that vehicle in which Mr. LeBlanc was an occupant, was carrying drugs to bring it back to the area of Moncton” (Transcript, January 19, 2016, Vol. 1, p. 37, lines 5-8).
The trial judge gave a mid-trial instruction to the jury to explain that the existence, or non-existence, of sufficient grounds for the RCMP to make the stop and to arrest Mr. LeBlanc should play no role in coming to a decision in the case. In the circumstances, I conclude this part of the evidence was not damaging, as the jury would no doubt understand that the police thought they had reasonable and probable grounds to stop and arrest the occupants of the motorhome. [ 39 ] The trial was heard from January 19, 2016, to February 3, 2016.
The above evidence was tendered on January 19, 2016, and was never mentioned again.
(2) The dangers associated with the impugned evidence [ 40 ] None of the above testimony should have been admitted. If it was being tendered for the truth of its contents then it was inadmissible hearsay. If it was not being tendered for the truth of its contents, as the Crown alleges, there had to be another purpose for tendering it. The Crown submits it was tendered as narrative evidence.
[ 41 ] Was it necessary for Staff Sergeant Potvin to tell the jury: that he had been advised by other officers that Mr. LeBlanc was already under investigation for suspicious money transactions; that various sources of information indicated Mr. LeBlanc was bringing in large amounts of drugs to the Moncton area; that reports from the community indicated that some of the drugs were being sold out of the Old Cosmo Complex and that Mr. LeBlanc had recently purchased this bar?
I do not believe so. [ 42 ] There was also no purpose in telling the jury that in order to obtain an authorization to install a tracking device on the motorhome, the police had to satisfy a judge they had reasonable grounds to suspect the vehicle would be used to facilitate the transporting of drugs. This could lead the jury to believe a judge had already endorsed the police theory that the motorhome would be transporting drugs.
The grounds for obtaining a warrant to authorize the tracking were not challenged and they were not relevant for purposes of the trial. [ 43 ] The impugned information was not necessary to understand the unfolding of events surrounding the alleged offences. The background could have been explored by Staff Sergeant Potvin simply stating “as a result of information obtained, we began investigating Mr. LeBlanc” and “we obtained an authorization to install a tracking device on the motorhome.” [ 44 ] The above evidence was highly prejudicial to Mr.
LeBlanc because, if believed, it purported to show the accused as being someone who had the habit of transporting and selling drugs in the Moncton area. Mr. LeBlanc could not challenge this evidence as he did not know who and where it came from.
In the context in which this evidence was adduced, it did not meet any requirement for admissibility and it ought to have been prohibited. [ 45 ] The Crown argues the risk associated with this evidence was minimized as Crown counsel immediately elicited evidence that no charges resulted from the investigation concerning the suspicious money transactions, and by the trial judge’s limiting instruction concerning the grounds for the stop and arrest.
The Crown also referred us to a passage in the trial judge’s final charge to the jury where he instructed them to ask themselves: “Did the witness seem to be reporting to you what he or she saw or heard, or simply putting together an account based on information obtained from other sources, rather than personal observation?” (Transcript, February 3, 2016, Vol. 10, p. 88, lines 13-16). This passage is taken from the CJC Model Jury Instructions , more specifically from Instruction 9.4 dealing with Assessment of Evidence found in the general principles.
As we know, the jury was told that Staff Sergeant Potvin was in fact “reporting […] what he […] heard;” therefore, in the circumstances of this case, this instruction did little to minimize the risk. More needed to be said. [ 46 ] The evidence was not inherently innocuous as it contained allegations of other criminal conduct and claims that there were reasonable and probable grounds, endorsed by a judge, to suspect that Mr.
LeBlanc was transporting drugs in his motorhome. [ 47 ] Evidence that an accused has engaged in discreditable or criminal acts is presumptively inadmissible as there is a risk the evidence will be used to draw the prohibited inference that the accused is the type of person likely to have committed the offences charged.
Even where there is a good reason to admit such evidence, once admitted, a jury direction is required to avoid the prohibited inference and guard against the jury convicting the accused based on the prohibited inference. [ 48 ] The Crown suggests that since this evidence was given early in the proceedings, and never referred to again during the following nine days of testimony, this mitigates its impact. I respectfully disagree. The fact that this evidence was heard during the first minutes of the trial could impress the jurors. Even if the Crown did not plan to adduce evidence of disreputable conduct, it did.
The fact it was introduced at the beginning of the trial, and the jury was not instructed immediately – or ever − that they could not rely on this evidence for the truth of what was said, may have tainted the jury’s opinion of Mr. LeBlanc from the beginning to the end and led to the prohibited inference. [ 49 ] The members of the jury may have relied on it for the truth of what was said as, while they were not told not to, they were also not told to disregard it.
There was at least one instance during the trial where inadmissible hearsay evidence was heard and the trial judge gave a mid-trial instruction directing the jury to disregard the evidence that had just been heard. Corporal Chiasson testified that Mr. Bujold acknowledged having control of the drugs found in the motorhome on August 15, 2013. The trial judge gave the following direction: […] Corporal Chiasson agreed and confirmed that Mr. Bujold you saw earlier had pleaded guilty to -- to some charges in relation to this and went to jail. He also agreed in a follow-up question put to him by Mr. LeBlanc that Mr.
Bujold had control and knowledge of the drugs, and that is the evidence that I’m directing you to disregard. That is hearsay evidence. It’s not admissible evidence in this case because it is hearsay, and it is not to be considered by you to be a part of the evidence for your consideration in coming to your decision
in this case. Okay. So, that evidence that you heard about Mr. Bujold having control and knowledge of the drugs is to be disregarded, okay. [Transcript, January 27, 2016, Vol. 7, p. 106, lines 17-23 and p. 107, lines 1-7.] [ 50 ] The judge, at this instance, made it clear it was hearsay evidence, not admissible in the case, and that it was not to be considered by the jurors to be a part of the evidence for their consideration in coming to their decision.
Since the judge gave no similar instruction concerning the disreputable conduct evidence, we could not fault the jurors for thinking they could rely on that evidence to come to their conclusion in this case. [ 51 ] The impact of this testimony must be assessed in context. There is a risk the jury may have used the evidence as the basis for an impermissible line of reasoning in the context of this case, which was based on circumstantial evidence. The main issue was for the jury to decide whether Mr. LeBlanc had knowledge the drugs were in the motorhome on August 15, 2013.
If the jurors believed the allegations of Mr. LeBlanc’s prior involvement in the transportation and sale of drugs in the Moncton area, this could have significant probative value in demonstrating the knowledge of the accused; the jury could have connected the impugned evidence to the issue in question as a matter of common sense. [ 52 ] The judge erred by admitting this evidence and then not directing the jury on the limited use that could be made of this testimony; the impugned evidence was not appropriately mitigated.
Once admitted, the trial judge should have either instructed the jury to disregard it or at least cautioned the jury that this evidence was to be used only to put the investigation in context, and that these allegations and the officer’s opinions were otherwise inadmissible and did not amount to evidence the jury could use to find that the accused was guilty.
The trial judge had to give guidance on the appropriate, non-prohibited use to which the evidence may be put in the case at hand, and instruct that it must not be used for any other purpose. [ 53 ] In the absence of a proper limiting instruction, I conclude that the likelihood of jury misuse, of the narrative evidence of the kind tendered in this case, cannot be ignored. C. The curative proviso contained in s. 686(1)(b)(iii) of the Criminal Code [ 54 ] This error of law is serious and prejudicial to Mr. LeBlanc. This leaves the question of the curative proviso under s. 686(1)(b)(iii) of the Criminal Code .
Crown counsel submits that should this Court find that the narrative evidence was not appropriately mitigated, it should nevertheless apply the provision and dismiss the appeal. Section 686(1)(b)(iii) enables the Court to dismiss an appeal even if it concludes the trial judge erred on a question of law if “it is of the opinion that no substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice has occurred.” The standard for the application of the curative proviso is very stringent. It is the high standard of inevitable conviction that must be met.
This Court must evaluate the strength of the other evidence to determine whether the admissible evidence is so overwhelming that a conviction is inevitable, or would invariably result, even if the serious error had not been made. [ 55 ] The case law on point and applicable principles for the application of the curative proviso are found in Haché , per Richard J.A. (as he then was) for the majority: In short, pursuant to this curative proviso, “an appellate court may dismiss an appeal where, even though the trial court has erred in law, no substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice has occurred”: Deschamps J., speaking for the majority, at para. 80 of Trochym .
In R. v. Khan , [2001] 3 S.C.R. 823 , [2001] S.C.J. No. 83 (QL) , 2001 SCC 86 , the majority of the Supreme Court states as follows, at para. 26: [...] There are essentially two classes of errors which have been identified by reviewing courts and which have led to a proper application of the proviso. The first category is that of so-called “harmless errors”, or errors of a minor nature having no impact on the verdict.
The second category encompasses serious errors which would justify a new trial, but for the fact that the evidence adduced was seen as so overwhelming that the reviewing court concludes that there was no substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice. According to the Supreme Court, the proper test for the application of the curative proviso is that “[i]t can only be applied where there is no ‘reasonable possibility that the verdict would have been different had the error [...] not been made’” ( see Khan at para. 28 and the caselaw cited therein).
[…] The comments of Sopinka J. in R. v. S.(P.L.) and those of Arbour J. in Khan were recently reiterated by the majority of the Supreme Court in Trochym , where, at para. 82, Deschamps J. described the applicable standard as follows: The instant case is one that falls squarely within the second category of serious errors that will justify a new trial unless the properly adduced evidence is so overwhelming that a conviction is inevitable, or would invariably result. This standard should not be equated with the ordinary standard in a criminal trial of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
The application of the proviso to serious errors reflects a higher standard appropriate to appellate review. The standard applied by an appellate court, namely that the evidence against an accused is so overwhelming that conviction is inevitable or would invariably result, is a substantially higher one than the requirement that the Crown prove its case “beyond a reasonable doubt” at trial.
This higher standard reflects the fact that it is difficult for an appellate court, in particular when considering a jury trial, since no detailed findings of fact will have been made, to consider retroactively the effect that, for example, excluding certain evidence could reasonably have had on the outcome. In short, in cases involving serious errors, the authorities leave no doubt that the standard for the application of the curative proviso is very stringent.
According to this test, an appellate court can only deprive an accused of a new trial if the admissible evidence on the record leaves no doubt that a properly instructed jury would have no alternative but to find the accused guilty as charged. Unless the evidence is absolutely overwhelming, the Court must order a new trial. [paras. 105-110] [ 56 ] The key issue at trial was whether, or not, Mr. LeBlanc knew there were drugs in the motorhome. The Crown’s case was based on circumstantial evidence. The trial judge told the jury there was no direct evidence of Mr.
LeBlanc having actual knowledge of the presence of the drugs in the motorhome. There was no evidence the drugs were in plain view in the motorhome. During the third trip, Mr. LeBlanc was seen in the motorhome for the first time in Moncton, as he walked from the Battery House store and entered the motorhome, a short time before the motorhome was stopped by the police in Shediac. [ 57 ] Knowledge was the central issue at trial and it was imperative the jury not be left with the belief that the allegations relating to Mr.
LeBlanc’s prior activities concerning the transportation and sale of drugs in the Moncton area could be used for the truth of their contents. [ 58 ] It is far from clear that the verdict would inevitably have been the same had the above- mentioned error not been committed.
By admitting the impugned evidence and then failing to give a limiting instruction to the jury, the trial judge committed a serious error of law that cannot be remedied by applying the curative proviso contained in s. 686(1)(b)(iii). [ 59 ] This is not a case where the evidence pointing to guilt is so overwhelming that the outcome would necessarily have been the same, with or without the error. I am not convinced that a properly instructed jury would have inevitably convicted Mr. LeBlanc.
In an effort to support the jury verdict below, the Crown asks this Court to find that the trial judge erred in law by excluding security camera footage from the Grand Falls Irving Big Stop showing the motorhome on the lot and Mr. LeBlanc inside the store during the second trip, namely on August 3, 2013. Without deciding whether or not this evidence should have been admitted, my opinion that the admissible evidence is not “so overwhelming” would not change even if this evidence were admitted. V.
Conclusion and disposition [ 60 ] I would allow the appeal based on this ground alone, so it will not be necessary to address the other grounds. For the above reasons, I would set aside the convictions and order a new trial. ______________________________ LUCIE A. LAVIGNE, J.A.
WE CONCUR: __________________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, C.J.N.B. _________________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LaVIGNE I. Introduction [1] Le 15 août 2013, parallèlement à une enquête et à la surveillance connexe, la police a intercepté une autocaravane de 40 pieds dont Luc LeBlanc était le propriétaire et le conducteur. Jeffrey Bujold était aussi à bord du véhicule. La fouille de l’autocaravane a mené à la saisie de trois kilogrammes de cocaïne, de 19 000 comprimés de méthamphétamine et de 12 kilogrammes de résine de cannabis.
Luc LeBlanc et Jeffrey Bujold ont été conjointement accusés de trafic de cocaïne, de possession de cocaïne en vue d’en faire le trafic, de trafic de méthamphétamine, de possession de méthamphétamine en vue d’en faire le trafic, de trafic de résine de cannabis et de possession de résine de cannabis en vue d’en faire le trafic. M. Bujold a plaidé coupable aux accusations de trafic de cocaïne, de résine de cannabis et de méthamphétamine. Le 1 er octobre 2013, il a été condamné à quatre ans d’emprisonnement. Le poursuivant s’attendait à ce que M. Bujold témoigne que la drogue appartenait à M. LeBlanc. M.
Bujold a été appelé à la barre des témoins, mais il a refusé de témoigner. Les certificats de déclaration de culpabilité ont toutefois été déposés en preuve. [2] M. LeBlanc agissait en son propre nom. Le 24 novembre 2015, par suite d’une motion du ministère public, le juge du procès a nommé M e Mathieu Boutet ami de la Cour pour qu’il aide la Cour, et ce, malgré l’opposition de M. LeBlanc. M e Boutet a comparu à toutes les audiences subséquentes, y compris au procès devant jury tenu du 19 janvier 2016 au 3 février 2016. [3] La question principale à trancher dans le contexte du procès était de savoir si M.
LeBlanc était au courant de la présence de la drogue découverte dans l’autocaravane. La cause du ministère public reposait sur une preuve circonstancielle. [4] M. LeBlanc n’a pas témoigné, mais il a allégué dans ses observations adressées au jury que la drogue présente dans l’autocaravane appartenait à M. Bujold et qu’il n’en avait aucune connaissance. Le jury a prononcé un verdict de culpabilité à l’égard de chaque chef. M. LeBlanc a été condamné à six ans d’emprisonnement, moins la période purgée en détention
présentencielle, ce qui équivaut à une peine nette de 19 mois et demi. M. LeBlanc a fait appel des déclarations de culpabilité et sollicite la tenue d’un nouveau procès. Le ministère public a fait appel de la peine et sollicite une peine carcérale de neuf ans pour le motif que le juge du procès a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a qualifié l’accusé de simple passeur de drogue. La présente décision ne porte que sur l’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité. [5] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel.
Je conclus que le juge du procès a commis une erreur du fait qu’il a admis une preuve par ouï-dire et qu’il n’a pas ensuite donné de directives restrictives adéquates sur l’usage interdit de cette preuve. Lorsque j’applique les principes élaborés dans l’arrêt Haché c. R. , 2007 NBCA 79 , 323 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 254 , j’estime qu’il s’agit là d’une erreur de droit grave à laquelle l’application de la disposition réparatrice énoncée au ss-al. 686(1)b)(iii) du Code criminel du Canada ne peut remédier. Je suis d’avis d’annuler les déclarations de culpabilité et d’ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès. II.
Bref survol de la preuve présentée au procès [6] Pendant l’été 2013, un membre de la Gendarmerie royale du Canada a obtenu un mandat autorisant l’installation d’un dispositif de localisation sur l’autocaravane de M. LeBlanc. Pendant le procès, le poursuivant a présenté une preuve obtenue au moyen du dispositif de localisation qui indiquait que l’autocaravane de M. LeBlanc avait fait trois allers-retours entre la région de Moncton et Montréal entre le 29 juillet 2013 et le 15 août 2013 : du 29 au 31 juillet 2013, du 1 er au 3 août 2013 et du 12 au 15 août 2013.
Pendant le premier voyage, l’autocaravane a passé dix heures à Montréal avant son retour au Nouveau-Brunswick. Le deuxième voyage a commencé 27 heures après le retour de l’autocaravane du premier voyage et l’autocaravane est demeurée à Montréal huit heures et demie avant son retour au Nouveau-Brunswick. Pendant le troisième voyage, l’autocaravane a passé environ 42 heures à Montréal.
On a dit au jury que la drogue présente dans la région de Moncton était habituellement transportée d’ouest en est puisque les groupes criminalisés ont leurs quartiers généraux à Montréal, à Toronto et à Vancouver. [7] Les données obtenues au moyen du dispositif de localisation pendant le premier voyage indiquaient que l’autocaravane avait fait un arrêt à l’établissement The Old Cosmo Complex au début du voyage. Au retour de l’autocaravane de Montréal le 31 juillet 2013, le gendarme Pierre Audoux a observé le véhicule pendant qu’il était garé à la station-service Irving située à Sussex, au Nouveau-Brunswick.
Il a vu M. LeBlanc à bord de l’autocaravane et James Hawthorne en train de mettre de l’essence dans le réservoir de l’autocaravane. Il a poursuivi la surveillance et a vu l’autocaravane retourner derrière l’établissement The Old Cosmo Complex à Moncton. Pendant que l’autocaravane était stationnée, M. Hawthorne est sorti du côté du passager, est entré dans l’établissement The Old Cosmo Complex et en est revenu quelques minutes plus tard; le véhicule a ensuite quitté les lieux. De là, l’autocaravane s’est rendue chez M.
LeBlanc à Shediac. [8] Aucune surveillance policière n’a été effectuée pendant le deuxième voyage. [9] Le 15 août 2013, des membres de la GRC ont vu l’autocaravane dépasser Jemseg, au Nouveau-Brunswick, à son retour de Montréal. La police a suivi le véhicule et a continué à l’observer en route vers Moncton. À Moncton, le véhicule a fait un arrêt au magasin Battery House. Le caporal Pierre Chiasson, l’un des policiers qui effectuaient la surveillance, a vu M. LeBlanc venir à pied du magasin Battery House et monter dans l’autocaravane. Il s’agissait de la première fois pendant ce voyage que la police apercevait M.
LeBlanc en présence de son autocaravane. [10] Après que l’autocaravane a quitté les lieux du magasin Battery House, le caporal Chiasson a pu voir que M. LeBlanc conduisait l’autocaravane. Lorsque l’autocaravane était aux abords de la sortie de route en direction de Shediac, au Nouveau-Brunswick, on a donné l’ordre d’intercepter le véhicule. L’autocaravane a été interceptée sur la bretelle de sortie; les policiers sont montés à bord et ont arrêté les deux occupants, M. LeBlanc et M. Bujold.
Ni l’un ni l’autre des hommes n’étaient assis dans les sièges avant au moment où les policiers sont montés dans l’autocaravane. [11] Les policiers ont rangé l’autocaravane dans un stationnement voisin et ont commencé à la fouiller. Ils n’avaient pas de mandat de perquisition.
Ils ont découvert la drogue suivante : • dans le tiroir du haut d’une table de nuit située entre la salle de bains et le lit, ils ont découvert deux sacs de méthamphétamine; • par terre, près du pied du lit, dans un sac à provisions en plastique de l’épicerie Sobeys, ils ont découvert 19 sacs à fermeture par pression et glissière contenant chacun environ 1 000 comprimés de méthamphétamine;
• sous le matelas du lit, dans un compartiment situé sous le contreplaqué, ils ont découvert un polochon bleu et un sac noir plus petit sous ce dernier. Le polochon bleu contenait plusieurs briques – d’environ un kilogramme chacune – de résine de cannabis recouvertes de plastique ou de ruban rouge; • dans le sac noir, ils ont découvert trois briques de cocaïne – d’un peu plus d’un kilogramme chacune – recouvertes de ruban à conduits. [12] M.
LeBlanc a établi en preuve par des témoignages que les « rallonges escamotables » de l’autocaravane – les panneaux coulissables qui servent à créer de l’espace sur les côtés du véhicule – étaient sorties au moment de la fouille, mais qu’elles ne l’étaient pas au moment où les policiers sont montés dans le véhicule ou pendant la conduite du véhicule.
Selon l’argument qu’il a avancé, si les rallonges escamotables étaient rentrées, le sac à provisions qui contenait les comprimés de méthamphétamine n’était pas bien en vue, de sorte qu’on puisse conclure qu’il ne savait pas que le sac et la drogue qu’il contenait se trouvaient là. La preuve n’établit pas que les policiers ont vu quelque drogue que ce soit ou constaté la présence d’un sac au pied du lit lorsqu’ils sont montés dans l’autocaravane et qu’ils ont arrêté ses occupants. [13] En fouillant l’autocaravane le 15 août 2013, le gendarme Raymond a trouvé l’immatriculation de véhicule à moteur au nom de M.
LeBlanc ainsi que plusieurs articles qui établissaient un lien entre M. LeBlanc et l’établissement The Old Cosmo Complex, tels que le permis de conduire de M. LeBlanc, un insigne d’identité sur lequel il était écrit [TRADUCTION] « propriétaire du Cosmo » et un document du ministère de la Sécurité publique, Contrôle de la conformité et de l’application de la loi, Services de délivrance de licences et des permis, sur lequel M. LeBlanc était désigné comme directeur de l’établissement The Old Cosmo Complex. [14] Le 15 août 2013, suite à l’arrestation de M.
LeBlanc, la police a procédé à une fouille de la boîte de nuit Cosmo et a découvert, dans une pièce d’une aire isolée du sous-sol, une presse hydraulique – du genre de celles qu’utilisent certains trafiquants pour façonner la cocaïne en forme de brique. Il y avait des résidus de cocaïne sur des plaques en bois et en métal près de la presse. Aucune preuve ne tendait à établir qui avait accès à l’aire du Cosmo dans laquelle la presse a été découverte. Toujours à l’intérieur de la boîte de nuit Cosmo, la police a découvert des photographies de plusieurs employés du Cosmo et de M. LeBlanc.
Le poursuivant a aussi présenté une preuve de la page Facebook de M. LeBlanc montrant ce dernier vêtu d’une chemise arborant le
titre [TRADUCTION] « Propriétaire », avec, à l’arrière-plan de la photographie, une enseigne de l’établissement Cosmo Complex. Un policier a témoigné que M. LeBlanc avait déclaré à l’audience sur la libération sous caution avoir demandé une date d’audience plus rapprochée puisqu’il [TRADUCTION] « avai[t] le Cosmo Complex » et plusieurs employés. [15] De plus, le poursuivant a présenté une preuve de l’exécution, le 15 août 2013, d’un mandat de perquisition chez M.
LeBlanc, à Shediac, où les policiers ont découvert de petites quantités de méthamphétamine, ainsi que 2,6 grammes de résine de cannabis et du papier à cigarette dans une vieille remorque stationnée dans la cour arrière. Il n’y avait aucune preuve de l’identité du propriétaire de la remorque. La police a aussi saisi une balance numérique découverte dans une unité murale au deuxième étage de la résidence. III. Moyens d’appel [16] L’appelant invoque six moyens d’appel.
Il soutient que le juge du procès a commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision : 1. du fait qu’il a donné au jury des directives erronées sur le témoignage d’un tiers suspect ; 2. du fait qu’il a donné au jury des directives erronées sur la théorie du poursuivant au sujet de l’auteur secondaire; 3. du fait qu’il n’a pas donné de directives au jury sur la preuve de la conduite postérieure à l’infraction; 4. du fait qu’il a admis une preuve par ouï-dire et qu’il n’a pas ensuite donné de directives au jury sur l’usage interdit de la preuve;
5. du fait qu’il a rejeté la demande d’ajournement; 6. du fait qu’il a rejeté la demande fondée sur l’art. 8 de la Charte . IV. Analyse [17] Je commencerai par le quatrième moyen d’appel puisque j’estime que ce moyen permet de statuer sur l’appel.
L’appelant allègue que le juge du procès a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a admis une preuve par ouï-dire et qu’il n’a pas ensuite donné de directives au jury sur l’usage qu’il était interdit d’en faire. [18] Dans le cadre de ce moyen d’appel, la défense s’oppose à l’admissibilité de la preuve obtenue au moyen du dispositif de localisation et de la preuve de conduite déshonorante qui a été présentée comme témoignage narratif. A.
Preuve obtenue au moyen d’un dispositif de localisation [19] Comme je l’ai mentionné, la police a obtenu un mandat autorisant l’installation d’un dispositif de localisation sur l’autocaravane de M. LeBlanc. On ne s’est pas opposé au mandat. Le dispositif de localisation est demeuré fixé à l’autocaravane du 26 avril 2013 au 15 août 2013. Pendant le procès, le poursuivant a présenté en preuve un rapport de localisation et des cartes de localisation provenant de données de localisation que la police recevait par courrier électronique à son ordinateur chaque matin.
Le message électronique contenait les données de localisation de la veille qui étaient associées au véhicule. La défense soutient que cette preuve constituait une preuve par ouï-dire qui était inadmissible en ce qu’elle ne précisait nullement de qui et de quoi provenaient les données qui étaient transmises à la police. [20] Selon le paragraphe 492.1(8) du Code criminel , on entend par « dispositif de localisation »
« [t] out dispositif, notamment un programme d’ordinateur […], pouvant servir à obtenir ou à enregistrer des données de localisation ou à les transmettre par un moyen de télécommunication », par « données de localisation » les « [d]onnées qui concernent le lieu d’une opération ou d’une chose ou le lieu où est située une personne physique », et par « données » les « [r]eprésentations, notamment signes, signaux ou symboles, qui peuvent être comprises par une personne physique ou traitées par un ordinateur ou un autre dispositif ». [21] Le sergent-chef Potvin a témoigné que le dispositif de localisation n’était rien de plus qu’un dispositif de localisation GPS, installé sur un véhicule, qui fonctionne comme un transpondeur.
Le dispositif émet des signaux qui sont surveillés à l’aide d’un ordinateur et qui indiqueront, à un moment donné, l’emplacement exact d’un véhicule à ce moment-là. Il a témoigné qu’on avait demandé au gendarme Audoux de recueillir les données obtenues au moyen du dispositif de localisation. [22] Le gendarme Audoux, l’auteur du rapport de localisation, a confirmé que les données ayant servi à produire le rapport provenaient de l’autocaravane. Au moyen de son ordinateur, il consultait les données recueillies par le dispositif de localisation.
Il a précisé que le message électronique, lorsqu’il l’ouvrait, contenait une carte, du genre des cartes du site « Google Earth ». Sur la carte, des symboles ressemblant à des punaises marquaient les différents endroits où le véhicule était allé la veille. Il a décrit les points de localisation qu’il a constatés sur la carte. Jusqu’à 600 points pouvaient être associés à une journée, et ils étaient disposés suivant l’ordre chronologique. Si l’autocaravane était immobile, il y avait plusieurs punaises au même endroit. Lorsqu’il plaçait son curseur sur une punaise, il pouvait voir la date, l’heure et le lieu.
Les heures étaient indiquées suivant le temps universel coordonné, mais il convertissait ces renseignements suivant l’heure du Nouveau-Brunswick. [23] Il s’est servi de ces renseignements pour produire un rapport de localisation daté du 16 août 2013, dans lequel il démontrait où l’autocaravane de M. LeBlanc s’était rendue. Le rapport indiquait la date, l’heure et le lieu ainsi que le temps que le véhicule avait passé dans le lieu.
Dans le rapport, le lieu n’était pas exprimé au moyen de coordonnées du système de localisation GPS suivant la longitude et la latitude; il était indiqué par une adresse civique ou le nom du lieu tel que la mention « Old Cosmo » ou [TRADUCTION] « station-service Irving ». Le gendarme Audoux a obtenu ces renseignements en consultant la carte qu’il a reçue par courrier électronique.
Au moyen du site « Google Earth » et du service « Street View », un service d’imagerie à l’échelle de la rue, il pouvait obtenir des renseignements plus précis tels qu’une adresse de voirie si on pouvait en voir une sur le bâtiment identifié sur la carte. Le rapport faisait aussi état de six cas survenus entre le 29 juillet et le 15 août 2013, dont les données de localisation ont été vérifiées par les observations de policiers qui assuraient la surveillance.
[24] Le caporal Martin Hachey s’est aussi servi des données reçues par le gendarme Audoux. Iltéléchargeait les données dans un logiciel de cartographie pour créer une carte de localisation associée à chaque voyage à Montréal, ainsique des cartes rapprochées et des photographies aériennes du site « Google Map » (imagerie par satellite) montrant certaines zonesrepérées, tant au Nouveau-Brunswick que dans la région de Montréal, pour démontrer précisément où l’autocaravane s’était rendue.
Il aaussi démontré en direct dans la salle d’audience ce que les données montraient, ce qui lui a permis de grossir les images pour obtenir desplans rapprochés de lieux précis.
Le caporal Hachey a expliqué que les documents qu’il avait préparés consistaient essentiellement en desreprésentations visuelles des renseignements expliqués par le gendarme Audoux. [25] Bien que l’avocat du ministère public ait mentionné pendant le procès que la preuve parlocalisation constituait une preuve circonstancielle narrative, il a exprimé clairement pendant plusieurs discussions préalables àl’admission de la preuve que le rapport et les cartes de localisation avaient pour but d’expliquer les déplacements de l’autocaravane.
Il nepouvait y avoir aucun doute que cette preuve était présentée pour la véracité de son contenu, notamment pour démontrer où le véhicules’était rendu. Il est déraisonnable de laisser entendre que M. LeBlanc a été induit en erreur quant à l’usage prévu de la preuve. [26] La Cour doit se demander si le juge du procès a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a admis le rapportet les cartes de localisation. [27] Des données obtenues au moyen d’un dispositif de localisation installé par la police ont été admises en preuve dans l’affaire R. c. Black, 2009 NBPC 27 , 2009 NBCP 27, [2009] A.N.-B. no 243 (QL).
Le juge Hutchinsona précisé que le dispositif de localisation avait le même fonctionnement qu’un dispositif de localisation GPS. Il recueillait des données etdes renseignements sur les déplacements du véhicule, et ces renseignements étaient ensuite saisis dans un ordinateur, qui fournissait àson tour des renseignements complexes et exacts sur les déplacements du véhicule.
Le juge du procès s’est fié abondamment à la preuvepar localisation, dont la police a corroboré l’exactitude par la reconnaissance à vue, pour conclure que l’accusé était le conducteur duvéhicule dans chaque cas enregistré par le dispositif de localisation et pour le déclarer coupable.
La Cour a rejeté l’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité et de la sentence à 2010 NBCA 65, 363 R.N.-B. (2e) 316, et une demande d’autorisation d’appel devant la Cour suprême du Canada a été rejetée à [2010] C.S.C.R. no 469; le dispositif de localisation n’a toutefois fait l’objet d’aucune discussion dans le cadrede ces autres instances. [28] On a aussi admis des données obtenues au moyen d’un dispositif de localisation GPS dansl’affaire R. c. Sauve, 2018 ONSC 4459, [2018] O.J. No. 3884 (QL), une décision rendue très récemment, soit le 19 juillet 2018.
Danscette affaire, un dispositif de localisation GPS a été installé dans une voiture de location avant qu’elle ne soit louée. M. Januash Ginewek, propriétaire et exploitant de la société Genuine Tracking Solutions, a installé le dispositif. Après l’installation, lasociété a repéré et surveillé le véhicule conformément aux directives du client. En plus d’enregistrer le lieu du véhicule toutes les cinq àdix minutes, le dispositif enregistrait aussi les fois où le véhicule était garé. La police a pris connaissance de l’installation du dispositifde localisation sur le véhicule et a obtenu les données de localisation.
Les données réelles qui avaient été extraites et produites n’étaientpas contestées; la signification et le poids à accorder à ces données l’étaient. Les données de localisation produites par M. Ginewek ont été admises en preuve, de même que les cartes de localisation créées par Mme Nicole Rebelo, une analyste de l’équipe desrenseignements du service de police de Toronto, au moyen des coordonnées tirées des données du système GPS obtenues de M. Ginewek. M. Ginewek et Mme Rebelo n’ont pas été reconnus comme témoins experts.
Ils n’ont rendu aucun témoignage sous formed’opinion, sauf qu’ils ont fourni des précisions sur leur méthode de production des données et sur la façon de les interpréter.
Le juge duprocès a conclu que les données du système GPS corroboraient à bien des égards le témoignage d’un autre témoin quant aux endroits oùle véhicule était allé; par conséquent, il s’est fié à la preuve par localisation pour conclure que le véhicule était à un endroit précis aumoment, ou à peu près au même moment, où une fusillade est survenue à cet endroit. [29] En l’espèce, les données obtenues au moyen du dispositif de localisation n’ont pas été débattuesdans le cadre du procès. M.
LeBlanc s’est opposé à la pertinence ou à la signification des renseignements contenus dans le rapport et aupoids à accorder à cette preuve. Selon l’argument qu’il a avancé, en l’absence d’une quelconque reconnaissance à vue, la preuve parlocalisation ne pouvait établir qui occupait le véhicule à un moment donné.
Il a soutenu que, même si l’autocaravane s’était rendue àMontréal trois fois, rien ne prouvait qu’il se trouvait dans l’autocaravane tout au long du voyage ou que quelque acte illégal que ce soit aété commis pendant les deux premiers voyages, ou qu’il a commis quelque acte illégal que ce soit pendant ces voyages. [30] On n’a jamais remis en question l’exactitude ou la fiabilité des données que legendarme Audoux a reçues par courrier électronique. L’admissibilité du rapport du gendarme Audoux a fait l’objet de discussions enl’absence du jury.
L’ami de la Cour a affirmé : [TRADUCTION] « Je n’ai aucune objection quant à la date, à l’heure, au lieu qui – quiproviennent manifestement des données de localisation que vous auriez reçues » (transcription, le 22 janvier 2016, vol. 4, p. 28, lignes 17à 19). L’ami de la Cour se souciait d’autres commentaires contenus dans le rapport, mais ses préoccupations ont fait l’objet d’unediscussion et le rapport, ainsi que les cartes de localisation, ont été admis en preuve.
[31] Il semblait évident pour les parties que les cartes obtenues par le gendarme Audoux traçaient le parcours de l’autocaravane dans ses déplacements.
L’exactitude des données brutes n’a fait l’objet d’aucune opposition, et la reconnaissance à vue effectuée pendant les premier et troisième voyages a confirmé l’exactitude des renseignements recueillis à partir des données de localisation – à quatre reprises le 31 juillet 2013 et à deux reprises le 12 août 2013. [32] Il n’y avait pas de raison de douter du fait que les données brutes que le gendarme Audoux recevait à son ordinateur chaque matin reflétaient fidèlement les déplacements effectués par l’autocaravane la veille.
Le juge du procès n’a pas commis d’erreur lorsqu’il a admis la preuve obtenue au moyen du dispositif de localisation, dont le rapport de localisation et les cartes de localisation. B. Témoignage narratif [33] La présente question consiste à savoir si on a fait mauvais usage des témoignages de type « narratif » de sorte à faire verser au dossier une preuve par ailleurs inadmissible. Je conclus que tel a été le cas. [34] Le sergent-chef André Potvin, le commandant de l’unité, était le premier témoin à décharge. Il a donné un aperçu de l’enquête appelée [TRADUCTION] « Opération J-Teaser ».
Ce faisant, il a dévoilé certains renseignements et comptes rendus reçus d’autres personnes. On appelle généralement ce type de preuve un « témoignage narratif », qui est habituellement une preuve requise pour contextualiser le fil du récit. Les déclarations admises en vertu de l’exception de la narration ne constituent pas une preuve par ouï-dire parce qu’elles ne sont ni admissibles ni reçues pour que la véracité de leur contenu soit établie.
En l’espèce, le témoignage narratif a été présenté en preuve sans aucune objection; le jury n’a toutefois pas été prévenu que les allégations de conduite déshonorante et autres allégations auxquelles le sergent-chef Potvin faisait allusion n’ont pas été admises, pas plus qu’on ne pouvait s’y fier, pour la véracité de leur contenu. Le jury n’a reçu aucune directive au sujet de l’usage limité qu’il lui était permis de faire de cette preuve.
(1) La preuve contestée [35] Le sergent-chef Potvin a expliqué que, lorsque M. LeBlanc a éveillé l’attention de son unité en 2012, on lui a dit que M. LeBlanc était déjà la cible d’une enquête de l’Unité mixte des produits de la criminalité par suite [TRADUCTION] « des signalements de la participation de M. LeBlanc à des opérations financières douteuses, ainsi que de son achat récent, avec un collègue ou un associé, d’un bar ici au centre-ville de Moncton » (transcription, le 19 janvier 2016, vol. 1, p. 27, lignes 13 à 16).
En réponse à une question de l’avocat du ministère public, il a reconnu qu’aucune accusation n’avait été portée par suite de cette enquête. [36] Il a témoigné que la police avait obtenu, au cours de l’été 2012, des renseignements [TRADUCTION] « de diverses sources d’information qui indiquaient que M. LeBlanc participait aussi à l’importation de grandes quantités de drogue dans le Grand Moncton et dans le sud-est du Nouveau-Brunswick » (transcription, le 19 janvier 2016, vol. 1, p. 28, lignes 4 à 7) (c’est moi qui souligne).
Plus tard dans son témoignage, il a précisé ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] […] nous disposions de différents – aussi de renseignements que nous avions obtenus et selon lesquels non seulement M. LeBlanc était accusé et soupçonné d’importer de la drogue dans la grande région de Moncton, mais aussi divers rapports de gens de la collectivité qui indiquaient fermement qu’une
partie de cette drogue était d’ailleurs vendue à partir d’un bar du centre-ville de Moncton, appelé The Old Cosmo Complex, qui est le bar que j’ai mentionné précédemment dans mon témoignage. [Transcription, le 19 janvier 2016, vol. 1, p. 29, lignes 18 à 23, et p. 30, lignes 1 à 3] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [37] Le sergent-chef Potvin a aussi témoigné que la police a demandé et obtenu l’autorisation judiciaire d’installer un dispositif de localisation sur le véhicule de M. LeBlanc.
Invité par l’avocat du ministère public à expliquer au jury ce qu’était une autorisation judiciaire, il a répondu ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] C’est une ordonnance judiciaire fondée sur un affidavit présenté par un policier. Nous comparaissons devant un – un juge et indiquons que nous avons des motifs raisonnables de soupçonner, en l’espèce, qu’un véhicule utilisé par M. LeBlanc servirait à faciliter le transport
de drogues. Et, pour l’essentiel, en plus de cela, nous – nous souscrivons un affidavit et le juge, s’il est convaincu sur le fondement des motifs de soupçonner, nous autorisera à faire installer un dispositif de localisation sur le véhicule.
De toute évidence, il s’agit d’une installation secrète. [Transcription, le 19 janvier 2016, vol. 1, p. 30, lignes 16 à 23 et p. 31, lignes 1 et 2] [38] Finalement, il a expliqué avoir ordonné, le 15 août 2013, l’interception de l’autocaravane et l’arrestation de ses occupants, tout en exprimant l’opinion suivante : [TRADUCTION] « il n’y avait aucun doute dans mon esprit que j’avais des motifs raisonnables de croire que ce véhicule, dont M. LeBlanc était un occupant, transportait de la drogue pour l’apporter dans la région de Moncton » (transcription, le 19 janvier 2016, vol. 1, p. 37, lignes 5 à 8).
Pendant le procès, le juge a donné des directives au jury pour lui expliquer que, pour parvenir à une décision dans l’affaire, il ne devait pas tenir compte du fait que la GRC avait ou non des motifs suffisants d’intercepter le véhicule et d’arrêter M. LeBlanc. Eu égard aux circonstances, je conclus que cette
partie de la preuve n’était pas préjudiciable, puisque le jury aurait sans doute compris que la police pensait avoir des motifs raisonnables d’intercepter l’autocaravane et d’arrêter ses occupants. [39] L’affaire a été instruite du 19 janvier 2016 au 3 février 2016. La preuve qui précède a été présentée le 19 janvier 2016 et n’a plus jamais été mentionnée.
(2) Les risques associés à la preuve contestée [40] Aucun des témoignages précédents n’aurait dû être admis. S’ils étaient présentés pour la véracité de leur contenu, ils constituaient dans ce cas une preuve par ouï-dire inadmissible. S’ils n’étaient pas présentés pour la véracité de leur contenu, telle est la thèse du ministère public, ils devaient être présentés à une autre fin. Le ministère public soutient qu’ils étaient présentés comme témoignages narratifs. [41] Fallait-il que le sergent-chef Potvin dise au jury que d’autres policiers l’avaient informé que M.
LeBlanc était déjà la cible d’une enquête sur des opérations financières douteuses; que diverses sources d’information indiquaient que M. LeBlanc importait de grandes quantités de drogue dans la région de Moncton; que des rapports de gens de la collectivité indiquaient qu’une
partie de la drogue était vendue à partir de l’établissement The Old Cosmo Complex et que M. LeBlanc avait peu avant acheté ce bar? Je ne le crois pas. [42] Il ne servait non plus à rien de dire au jury que, pour obtenir l’autorisation d’installer un dispositif de localisation sur l’autocaravane, la police devait convaincre un juge qu’elle avait des motifs raisonnables de soupçonner que le véhicule servirait à faciliter le transport de drogues. Le jury aurait pu ainsi être porté à croire qu’un juge avait déjà avalisé la théorie policière selon laquelle l’autocaravane transporterait de la drogue.
Les motifs d’obtention d’un mandat autorisant l’installation d’un dispositif de localisation n’ont fait l’objet d’aucune opposition et n’étaient pas pertinents pour les besoins du procès. [43] Les renseignements contestés n’étaient pas nécessaires pour comprendre le déroulement des circonstances des infractions reprochées. Le contexte aurait pu être exploré si le sergent-chef Potvin avait simplement dit : [TRADUCTION] « par suite de l’obtention de renseignements, nous avons entamé une enquête visant M.
LeBlanc » et [TRADUCTION] « nous avons obtenu l’autorisation d’installer un dispositif de localisation sur l’autocaravane ». [44] La preuve mentionnée précédemment causait un préjudice grave à M. LeBlanc parce que, si on y ajoutait foi, elle était censée dépeindre l’accusé comme quelqu’un qui avait l’habitude de transporter et de vendre de la drogue dans la région de Moncton. M. LeBlanc ne pouvait pas s’opposer à cette preuve puisqu’il ne savait pas de qui ni d’où elle provenait.
Selon le contexte dans lequel cette preuve a été produite, elle ne répondait pas aux critères d’admissibilité et elle aurait dû être rejetée. [45] Le ministère public soutient que le risque associé à cette preuve a été réduit au minimum puisqu’il a immédiatement obtenu un témoignage portant que l’enquête sur les opérations financières douteuses n’avait mené à aucune accusation, et du fait que le juge du procès a donné des directives restrictives au sujet des motifs de l’interception et de l’arrestation.
Le ministère public nous a aussi renvoyés à un passage de l’exposé final du juge du procès dans lequel il demandait au jury de se poser la question suivante : « Le témoin semblait-il rapporter ce qu’il a vu ou entendu ou semblait-il seulement faire un compte rendu basé sur des renseignements obtenus d’autres sources, plutôt que sur des observations personnelles? » (transcription, 3 février 2016, vol. 10, p. 88, lignes 13 à 16).
Ce passage provient des « Modèles de directives au jury » du Conseil canadien de la magistrature et, plus précisément, de la Directive 9.4 sur l’évaluation de la preuve qui se trouve dans les principes généraux. Comme nous le savons, le jury a été informé que le sergent-chef Potvin en fait « rapportait […] ce qu’il a[vait] entendu ». Eu égard aux circonstances de l’espèce, cette directive n’a donc que peu fait pour réduire le risque au minimum. La directive devait être étoffée.
[46] Le témoignage n’était pas intrinsèquement inoffensif en ce qu’il consistait notamment en des allégations de la commission d’autres actes criminels et de l’existence de motifs raisonnables, avalisés par un juge, de soupçonner que M. LeBlanc transportait de la drogue dans son autocaravane. [47] La preuve qu’un accusé a adopté une conduite déshonorante ou a commis des actes criminels est présumée inadmissible puisqu’il existe un risque que cette preuve serve à tirer l’inférence interdite selon laquelle l’accusé est le genre de personne susceptible d’avoir commis les infractions reprochées.
Même en présence d’une bonne raison d’admettre cette preuve, une fois qu’elle est admise, il faut donner des directives au jury pour éviter qu’il tire l’inférence interdite et qu’il se fonde sur celle-ci pour déclarer l’accusé coupable. [48] Le ministère public laisse entendre que l’effet de ce témoignage est atténué du fait qu’il a été rendu au début de l’instance et qu’on ne l’a jamais plus mentionné dans les neuf jours de témoignages qui ont suivi. En toute déférence, je ne suis pas d’accord. Le fait d’entendre ce témoignage pendant les premières minutes du procès pouvait faire une impression sur les jurés.
Même si le ministère public n’envisageait pas de présenter une preuve de conduite déshonorante, il l’a fait. Le fait que cette preuve a été présentée au début du procès, et que le jury n’a pas été prévenu à ce moment-là – ni à aucun autre – qu’il ne pouvait pas s’y fier pour la véracité des propos tenus, a pu, du début à la fin, ternir l’opinion que les jurés ont eue de M. LeBlanc et les amener à tirer l’inférence interdite. [49] Les membres du jury ont pu se fier à ce témoignage pour la véracité des propos tenus puisqu’on ne leur a pas dit de ne pas s’y fier, pas plus qu’on leur a dit d’en faire abstraction.
Au moins une fois pendant le procès, une preuve par ouï-dire qui était inadmissible a été entendue et le juge du procès a dit au jury de faire abstraction du témoignage qu’il venait d’entendre. Le caporal Chiasson a témoigné que M. Bujold a reconnu avoir le contrôle de la drogue découverte dans l’autocaravane le 15 août 2013. Le juge du procès a donné les directives suivantes : [TRADUCTION] […] Le caporal Chiasson a convenu et confirmé que M. Bujold, que vous avez vu précédemment, a plaidé coupable à – certains chefs d’accusation connexes et qu’il est allé en prison.
Il a aussi convenu en réponse à une question de suivi que lui a adressée M. LeBlanc que M. Bujold avait le contrôle de la drogue et en avait connaissance, et c’est de ce témoignage que je vous demande de faire abstraction. C’est une preuve par ouï-dire. Cette preuve n’est pas admissible en l’espèce parce qu’elle constituait une preuve par ouï-dire, et vous ne devez pas la traiter comme un élément de la preuve que vous devez prendre en considération pour parvenir à une décision en l’espèce. D’accord. Alors, vous devez faire abstraction de ce témoignage que vous avez entendu, selon lequel M.
Bujold avait le contrôle de la drogue et en avait connaissance, d’accord. [Transcription, 27 janvier 2016, vol. 7, p. 106, lignes 17 à 23, et p. 107, lignes 1 à 7] [50] À ce moment-là, le juge a clairement indiqué qu’il s’agissait d’une preuve par ouï-dire, qui n’était pas admissible dans l’affaire, et que les jurés ne devaient pas la traiter comme un élément de la preuve à prendre en considération pour parvenir à leur décision.
Étant donné que le juge n’a donné aucune directive semblable au sujet de la preuve de conduite déshonorante, on ne saurait reprocher aux jurés d’avoir cru qu’ils pouvaient se fier à cette preuve pour parvenir à leur conclusion en l’espèce. [51] L’effet de ce témoignage doit être analysé eu égard à son contexte. Il existe un risque que le jury ait pu utiliser la preuve pour échafauder un raisonnement inacceptable dans le contexte de l’espèce, qui reposait sur la preuve circonstancielle. La question principale que le jury devait trancher consistait à savoir si M.
LeBlanc savait qu’il y avait de la drogue dans l’autocaravane le 15 août 2013. Si les jurés ajoutaient foi aux allégations de participation antérieure par M.
LeBlanc au transport et à la vente de drogues dans la région de Moncton, cette participation pouvait avoir une valeur probante importante pour démontrer la connaissance de l’accusé; le bon sens aurait pu amener le jury à rattacher la preuve contestée à la question en litige. [52] Le juge a commis une erreur du fait qu’il a admis cette preuve et qu’il n’a pas ensuite donné des directives au jury sur l’usage restreint qu’il pouvait faire de ce témoignage; l’effet de la preuve contestée n’a pas été dûment atténué.
Une fois la preuve admise, le juge du procès aurait dû donner une directive au jury selon laquelle il devait en faire abstraction ou à tout le moins prévenir le jury que cette preuve ne devait servir que de contexte à l’enquête, et que ces allégations et les opinions des policiers étaient par ailleurs inadmissibles et ne constituaient pas une preuve sur laquelle le jury pouvait se fonder pour déclarer l’accusé coupable.
Le juge du procès devait donner des indications sur l’usage convenable et non interdit qui pouvait être fait de la preuve en l’espèce, et indiquer qu’elle ne pouvait servir à aucune autre fin. [53] Le jury n’ayant pas reçu de directive restrictive appropriée, je conclus qu’on ne peut faire fi de la probabilité qu’il ait fait mauvais usage du témoignage narratif tel celui qui a été présenté en l’espèce.
C. Disposition réparatrice figurant au ss-al. 686(1)b)(iii) du Code criminel [54] Cette erreur de droit est grave et cause un préjudice à M. LeBlanc. Il reste à décider de l’application du ss-al. 686(1)b)(iii) du Code criminel , une disposition réparatrice. L’avocate du ministère public soutient qu’il convient néanmoins que notre Cour, si elle devait conclure que l’effet du témoignage narratif n’a pas été dûment atténué, applique la disposition et rejette l’appel.
Le sous-alinéa 686(1)(b)(iii) permet à la Cour de rejeter un appel, même si elle conclut que le juge du procès a commis une erreur sur une question de droit, si « elle est d’avis qu’aucun tort important ou aucune erreur judiciaire grave ne s’est produit ». La norme retenue pour l’application de la disposition réparatrice est très stricte. C’est la norme élevée, selon laquelle une déclaration de culpabilité doit être inévitable, qui doit être respectée .
La Cour doit évaluer la valeur probante des autres éléments de preuve pour décider si la preuve admissible est à ce point accablante qu’une déclaration de culpabilité est inévitable ou serait forcément prononcée, même en l’absence de l’erreur grave .