His Majesty The King Appellant v. Private D.T. Vu, 2024 SCC 1
Opinion
SUPREME COURT OF CANADA Citation: R. v. Vu, 2024 SCC 1 Appeal Heard: January 16, 2024 Judgment Rendered: January 16, 2024 Docket: 40655 Between: His Majesty The King Appellant and Private D.T. Vu Respondent Coram: Wagner C.J. and Karakatsanis, Rowe, Martin, Jamal, O’Bonsawin and Moreau JJ. Judgment Read By : (paras. 1 to 4) Wagner C.J. Majority: Wagner C.J. and Karakatsanis, Rowe, Martin, Jamal and Moreau JJ. Dissent: O’Bonsawin J. Counsel: Karl Lacharité and Dominic Martin , for the appellant. Francesca Ferguson and Nooral Ahmed , for the respondent. Note: This document is subject to editorial revision before its reproduction in final form in the Canada Supreme Court Reports .
No. 40655 January 18, 2024 Le 18 janvier 2024 Coram: Wagner C.J. and Karakatsanis, Rowe, Martin, Jamal, O’Bonsawin and Moreau JJ. Coram : Le juge en chef Wagner et les juges Karakatsanis, Rowe, Martin, Jamal, O’Bonsawin et Moreau BETWEEN: His Majesty The King Appellant - and - Private D.T. Vu Respondent ENTRE : Sa Majesté le Roi Appelant - et - Soldat D.T. Vu Intimé
JUDGMENT The appeal from the judgment of the Court Martial AppealCourt of Canada, Number CMAC-621, 2023 CMAC 2, datedFebruary 27, 2023, was heard on January 16, 2024, and theCourt on that day delivered the following judgment orally: The Chief Justice — The respondent was acquitted of sexualassault before the Court Martial. The Crown appealed,arguing that the military judge failed to consider all of theevidence cumulatively and assessed the evidence on thewrong legal principles. A majority of the Court MartialAppeal Court dismissed the Crown’s appeal.
JusticeMcVeigh, in dissent, would have allowed the appeal andordered a new trial. The Crown appeals to this Court as of right. A majority of the Court is of the view that the appeal shouldbe dismissed, substantially for the reasons of the majority ofthe Court Martial Appeal Court. The military judge’sassessment of the evidence was thorough and cumulative.Reading the judgment as a whole, the military judge did notadopt a piecemeal or narrow approach to the evidence. Inaddition, we are not persuaded that the military judge appliedthe wrong legal principles.
While we agree with all of thejustices of the Court Martial Appeal Court that the militaryjudge engaged in some improper speculation, we share themajority’s view that these comments did not undermine themilitary judge’s fundamental findings. For her part, Justice O’Bonsawin would allow the appeal forthe reasons of Justice McVeigh, at paras. 39-90 and 119-26. Therefore, the appeal is dismissed.
JUGEMENT L’appel interjeté contre l’arrêt de la Cour d’appel de la courmartiale du Canada, numéro CMAC-621, 2023 CACM 2, daté du27 février 2023, a été entendu le 16 janvier 2024 et la Cour aprononcé oralement le même jour le jugement suivant : [traduction] Le juge en chef — L’intimé a été acquitté d’agression sexuelledevant la Cour martiale. La Couronne a fait appel, plaidant quele juge militaire avait omis d’effectuer une évaluation cumulativede l’ensemble de la preuve et avait apprécié celle-ci au regarddes mauvais principes juridiques.
La Cour d’appel de la courmartiale a rejeté à la majorité l’appel de la Couronne. La jugeMcVeigh, dissidente, aurait accueilli l’appel et ordonné unnouveau procès. La Couronne se pourvoit de plein droit devant notre Cour. La Cour est majoritairement d’avis que l’appel doit être rejeté,essentiellement pour les motifs exposés par les juges majoritairesde la Cour d’appel de la cour martiale. Le juge militaire a évaluéla preuve de manière approfondie et cumulative. Il ressort dujugement dans son ensemble que ce dernier n’a pas adopté uneapproche fragmentaire ou étroite à l’égard de la preuve.
De plus,nous ne sommes pas convaincus qu’il a appliqué les mauvaisprincipes juridiques. Bien que nous soyons d’accord avec tousles juges de la Cour d’appel de la cour martiale pour dire que lejuge militaire s’est livré à des conjectures inappropriées, nouspartageons l’opinion des juges majoritaires portant que lescommentaires en question n’ont pas miné les conclusionsfondamentales de ce dernier. Pour sa part, la juge O’Bonsawin accueillerait l’appel pour lesmotifs exposés par la juge McVeigh, aux par. 39-90 et 119-126. En conséquence, l’appel est rejeté. C.J.C. J.C.C.