2022 NBCA 10, 2022 NBCA 10
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 75-21-CA ROYAL BANK OF CANADA APPELLANT BANQUE ROYALE DU CANADA APPELANTE - and - - et - ALLAN MARSHALL & ASSOCIATES INC., as trustee in Bankruptcy, for the Estate of SUSAN LYNN WILLIAMS RESPONDENT ALLAN MARSHALL & ASSOCIATES INC., en qualité de syndic de faillite de l’actif de SUSAN LYNN WILLIAMS INTIMÉE Royal Bank of Canada v.
Allan Marshall & Associates Inc., as Trustee in Bankruptcy, for the Estate of Susan Lynn Williams, 2022 NBCA 10 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond Banque Royale du Canada c.
Allan Marshall & Associates Inc., en qualité de syndic de faillite de l’actif de Susan Lynn Williams, 2022 NBCA 10 CORAM : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: June 8, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 8 juin 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 127 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 127 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: November 23, 2021 Appel entendu : le 23 novembre 2021
Judgment rendered: April 14, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 14 avril 2022 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the Appellant: Joshua J. Santimaw For the Respondent: No one appeared Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Joshua J. Santimaw Pour l’intimée: personne n’a comparu THE COURT The appeal is allowed without costs.
The matter is remitted to the trial judge with the direction that $96,000 be used in place of $108,000 in the assessment set out in the Order For Deficiency Judgment dated October 19, 2021. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli sans dépens. L’affaire est renvoyée à la juge du procès avec la directive d’utiliser la somme de 96 000 $, plutôt que 108 000 $, dans l’évaluation figurant dans l’ordonnance de jugement en recouvrement de déficit du 19 octobre 2021. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] In an action for a deficiency following a mortgage sale, the mortgagee bears the burden of establishing the amount claimed against the mortgagor(s); this includes satisfying the court the money received from the sale was the product of a “proper” exercise of the power of sale under ss. 44 - 47 of the Property Act , R.S.N.B 1973, c. P-19 (the “ Act ”). A proper exercise of the power does not depend on a determination that the mortgage sale realized the market value of the property.
However, w here the power was “improperly” exercised, the mortgagee must account for its disposition of the property by crediting the secured debt with the market value of the property, as of the date of the mortgage sale: Keough v. Sandfire Capital Limited Partnership , 2016 NBCA 50 , 452 N.B.R. (2d) 233 . [ 2 ] In Keough , this Court delineated the scope of the statutory obligations of a mortgagee
professing to exercise the power of sale under the Act. The statute does not require that the mortgagee recover the market value of themortgaged property. Indeed, the Act expressly relieves a mortgagee from liability for any involuntary loss resulting from a statutorycompliant exercise of the power of sale; it provides for liability only where an exercise of the power to sell is “unauthorized or improperor irregular” (s. 47 (2)). As explained by Drapeau C.J.N.B. (as he then was), this excludes liability for ordinary negligence.
A “proper”exercise of the power of sale is one where the mortgagee does not intentionally or recklessly sacrifice the mortgagor’s interest in theproperty sold. To the extent a mortgagee’s actions in the exercise of the power are detrimental to the mortgagor’s interest in the property,such conduct ought to be “reasonably consider[ed] to be required for the protection of [the mortgagee’s] own interests.” A mortgagee’sconduct in the exercise of the power should not be “incapable of justification” (Keough, at para. 76, citing British Columbia Land andInvestment Agency v.
Ishitaka (1911), (SCC), 45 S.C.R. 302, at p. 317). [3] In practice, it has been common in deficiency actions for the mortgagee to claim the amount itcredited against the mortgagor’s debt is reflective of the market value of the property sold (as of the date of the mortgage sale). In suchcases, the trial focuses solely on whether the amount applied against the debt reflects the market value. This occurs when, for example,the mortgagee acquired the property at the mortgage sale for a nominal amount, such as $1,000.
Absent exceptional circumstances, anexercise of the power of sale at such an amount is not justifiable, and it is plain and obvious the mortgagor’s interest in the property hasbeen intentionally or recklessly sacrificed. With the admission or finding that the statutory power of sale was improperly exercised, theonly remaining issue is a determination of the market value of the property, as of the mortgage sale.
Even where mortgagees have boughtthe property at the mortgage sale for an amount that cannot be described as nominal, they have not always claimed such amount shouldbe used in the assessment of the deficiency, on the basis that it reflects a “proper” exercise of the power of sale. Instead, they propose touse a different, higher amount, which the mortgagee claims is reflective of the property’s market value. This has usually been the casewhen the mortgagee proposes to credit the debt with the amount recovered from the second sale to a third party.
In any event, again, insuch circumstances, the only issue before the court in calculating the deficiency is whether the proposed amount reflects the marketvalue of the property. [4] The alleged error at the crux of this appeal is the trial judge’s conclusion it was necessary todetermine the market value of the mortgaged property and to decide, in view of that determination, whether the amount recovered at themortgage sale satisfied the mortgagee’s obligation in relation to the disposition of the property, without addressing (or despite havingaccepted) the mortgagee’s position that it had “properly” exercised the power of sale by buying the property itself for $96,000. [5] While the judge acknowledged the principles set out in Keough, her conclusion respecting therequirement to determine the property’s market value is an error in law.
It stems principally from her reading of Holland v. The Toronto-Dominion Bank, 2018 NBCA 40, [2018] N.B.J. No. 188 (QL), as well as other decisions, where the market value of the property soldwas assessed as of the date of the mortgage sale. While in Holland this Court upheld a trial judge’s finding that the amount paid at themortgage sale reflected the property’s market value, the decision does not stand for the proposition that the market value must be appliedagainst the mortgage debt where there has been a “proper” exercise of the power of sale.
The decision merely reflects the position of theparties and the record before the trial judge respecting the market value of the property in question. [6] For the reasons set out below, I would allow the appeal and direct an assessment of theappellant’s claim based on the $96,000 recovered from the mortgage sale. II.
Background [7] In 2010, Douglas and Susan Williams gave Royal Bank of Canada a collateral mortgage againsttheir home as security for all debts owed to the Bank, up to $175,000, and costs. [8] By letter dated August 13, 2018, the Bank’s legal counsel demanded the Williams pay the fullarrears due under both their mortgage and line of credit, plus any applicable legal fees, disbursements, etc., on or before August 23, orpower of sale proceedings would be commenced and the mortgaged property would be sold. [9] In a further letter, dated August 31, 2018, counsel advised that the Bank intended to exercisethe power of sale by public auction on October 12, 2018, at the Saint John Courthouse.
Counsel also asked the Williams to vacate theirhome on or before that date. The Notice of Mortgage Sale stated that, “if a sufficient offer to purchase is not received […] at such publicauction the same may be withdrawn from such sale and disposed of by private contract without further notice.” The mortgage sale waspostponed to November 22, 2018. [10] A “Residential Drive-By Report,” dated August 28, 2018, was sent to the Bank’s counsel. The
Williams were still living in the house at the time. The report estimated the Williams’ home to have a “Market value range” of $120,000- $135,000. This opinion relied on the sale of three “comparable” properties, which sold respectively for $130,250, $173,000, and $168,000. The lowest sale, at $130,250, was a property on the same street as the Williams’ home, and the report states this sale was given the most weight.
The report also indicated a reasonable exposure time on the market would be 60 to 90 days. [ 11 ] Additionally, the report states the “intended use of the appraisal” is in relation to a power of sale, and the property’s “forced sale value range” is estimated to be $96,000-$108,000. While not clarified in this report, in a subsequent appraisal report, the same author explained that the forced sale value was derived from using 80% of the fair market value of $120,000- $135,000. [ 12 ] At the November 2018 auction, the Bank bid $96,000, the lower limit of the forced sale value range identified by the report.
The auctioneer accepted the bid. Although not clear from the record, it appears the Bank made the only bid. [ 13 ] On January 22, 2019, after the property had been vacated and acquired by the Bank, the same appraiser inspected the property, including its interior, and delivered a “Residential Appraisal Report” as of that date. It estimated the market value to be $138,500. This appraisal considered the sale of three comparable properties, at $133,000 $133,500, and $159,500.
Also, the report noted the client had requested an indication of the forced sale value and it indicated this would be $110,800, explaining that “a reasonable estimate for the forced sale value is 80%” of market value ($138,500). [ 14 ] The Bank listed the property for sale. While the listing amount is not clear from the record, on or about March 12, 2019, a third party made an offer to purchase the property for $126,000.
The Bank accepted this amount on the condition that the purchaser accept the property “as is, where is,” as well as a number of additional conditions, which primarily reflected that the property was being sold on this basis and the Bank would not be providing any representations of a type that might otherwise be considered customary were the vendor familiar with the property. [ 15 ] The Bank commenced the within action against the Williams to recover a judgment for the deficiency due after applying the $96,000 recovered from the mortgage sale.
At the trial to assess the amount due, the judge concluded the proceeds from the sale were less than the market value and directed the debt be credited with $108,000, instead of $96,000. This is the decision appealed. [ 16 ] Neither Mr. Williams nor Ms. Williams defended the action or participated at trial. Mr. Williams became a bankrupt before the damages trial, and the Bank discontinued the action against him. Ms. Williams later became a bankrupt, and a judge of this Court issued an order permitting the Bank’s appeal to continue as against her trustee in bankruptcy. Neither Ms.
Williams nor her trustee participated in the appeal. [ 17 ] The Bank sought the continuation of the appeal to have this Court set aside the decision appealed and affirm that it properly exercised the power of sale under the Act , as interpreted in Keough . There was no indication the outcome of this appeal would make any difference to the Bank’s expected recovery, should it file a Proof of Claim in the bankruptcies, and it did not seek costs. The Bank says its actions in conducting the mortgage sale were guided by this Court’s directions in Keough . III.
Grounds of Appeal [ 18 ] The Bank maintains the judge erred in law by: (1) concluding it was accountable for the market value of the property, as of the date of the mortgage sale, despite having found the Bank had “ properly compl[ied] with its obligations” (emphasis added) under the Act ; and (2) failing to apply Keough and recognize that, where a power of sale is “properly” exercised, the proceeds recovered from the sale are to be applied to the debt of the mortgagor(
s) and used in the determination of any deficiency remaining due. IV. Analysis A. An “improper” exercise of the proper power of sale under the Act
[ 19 ] In Keough , unlike the present case, the mortgagee acquired the property at its mortgage sale for the nominal sum of $100. Since this evidenced a patently “improper” exercise of the power of sale, which unjustifiably sacrificed the interests of the mortgagor, the Court directed the market value of the property be determined (as of the date of the mortgage sale) and applied against the mortgagor’s debt ( Keough , at para. 84 ).
Had there been a “proper” exercise of the power of sale, the Court would not have required the market value be applied against the debt. [ 20 ] Addressing the mortgagee’s rights and obligations in a purported exercise of the power of sale under the Act , Drapeau C.J.N.B. characterized them as being mortgagee friendly to an extent they may be described as singular in the common law world ( Keough , at para. 4 ; see also Gambit Holdings & Development , Deering v. Bayview Credit Union , 2002 NBCA 49 , 251 N.B.R. (2d) 158 ). In relation to a mortgagee’s duty to the mortgagor(
s) when exercising the power of sale, he stated: Under s. 47(2), the defaulting mortgagor is entitled to an exercise of the power of sale that is authorized, regular and proper . If the mortgagee does not comply with those requirements, the mortgagor’s remedy is in damages for any consequential voluntary loss.
(5) An “improper” exercise of the power of sale One of the well-established interpretative aids or principles is that a meaning must be attributed to every statutory provision and every word within any such provision. Section 47(2) of the Property Act refers to “unauthorized or improper or irregular” exercise of the power of sale. A meaning must be ascribed to each of the quoted adjectives.
More specifically, an “improper” exercise of the power of sale refers to conduct other than “unauthorized” or “irregular”, which brings us to one of the key questions: does the phrase “improper exercise of the power of sale” include ordinary negligence? The short answer: it does not. The quoted phrase has been part of this Province’s successive Property Acts since 1903. Its inclusion in the 1903 statute followed just a few years after the decision of the English Court of Appeal in Kennedy v. De Trafford , [1896] 1 Ch. 762 .
In that case, Lindley L.J. identified an improper exercise of the power of sale as one that either “fraudulently, or willfully, or recklessly” sacrifices the interests of the mortgagor (see p. 772). In his view, the obligation “to take reasonable precautions to obtain a proper price”, to which he had previously alluded in Farrar v. Farrar’s, Limited (1889), 40 Ch. D. 395 , p. 411, meant no more than an obligation to avoid sacrificing, whether fraudulently, willfully or recklessly, the mortgagor’s interest .
In the House of Lords, the mortgagor in default contended that, although the mortgagees had acted in good faith, the property had been sold at an undervalue, a result he claimed was traceable to their failure to proceed by auction and to properly and sufficiently advertise the sale. Lord Herschell described the mortgagor’s appeal “as hopeless an appeal as has ever been presented” (see Kennedy v. De Trafford , [1897] A.C. 180 (H.L.) , at p. 183) .
He went on to make the following observations on the mortgagee’s obligations: [...] [T]he appellant seeks to set aside the mortgage, on the ground that the mortgagees have been guilty of a breach of duty in relation to this sale. First of all, it is said that they have sold at an undervalue, and that that sale at an undervalue has arisen from their not discharging the duties incumbent upon them as mortgagees. It is not disputed that they sold in good faith. They did not intend to do anything else but properly exercise the power of sale vested in them under their mortgage.
But it is alleged that they did not put up the premises for sale by auction, that they only inserted two advertisements inviting a sale by tender, and that they ultimately sold for the amount of principal, interest, and costs to Mr. Dodson. I am myself disposed to think that, if a mortgagee, in exercising his power of sale, exercises it in good faith, without any intention of dealing unfairly by his mortgagor, it would be very difficult indeed, if not impossible, to establish that he had been guilty of any breach of duty towards the mortgagor.
Lindley L.J., in the court below, says that “it is not right or proper or legal for him, either fraudulently or wilfully or recklessly, to sacrifice the property of the mortgagor.” Well, I think that is all covered really by his exercising the power committed to him in good faith. It is very difficult to define all that would be included in the words “good faith,” or to give an exhaustive definition of them, but I think it would be unreasonable to require the mortgagee to do more than exercise his power of sale in that fashion.
Of course, if he wilfully and recklessly deals with the property in such a manner that the interests of the mortgagor are sacrificed, I should say that he had not been exercising his power of sale in good faith. [pp. 184-185] Lord MacNaghten agreed, adding that “if a mortgagee selling under a power of sale in his mortgage takes pains to comply with the provisions of that power and acts in good faith, [...] his conduct [cannot] be impeached” (p. 192). The other Lords concurred.
In British Columbia Land and Investment Agency v. Ishitaka (1911), (SCC), 45 S.C.R. 302, Duff J. (as he then was)summarized the effect of Kennedy v. De Trafford in the following fashion: [In exercising a power of sale, the mortgagee] is bound to act in good faith, that is to say, he is bound to exercise the power fairly for thepurpose for which it was given.
If the mortgagee proceeds in a manner which is calculated to injure the interests of the mortgagor and ifhis course of action is incapable of justification as one which in the circumstances an honest mortgagee might reasonably consider to berequired for the protection of his own interests; if he [sacrificed] the mortgagor’s interests ‘fraudulently, wilfully or recklessly,’ then [...]it would be difficult to understand how he could be held to be acting in good faith.
But that is a vastly different thing from saying that heis under a duty to the mortgagor to take, (regardless of his own interests as mortgagee,) all the measures a prudent man might beexpected to take in selling his own property”. [...] [pp. 316-317] Duff J. went on to state “it is clear that in exercising his power the mortgagee does not act as trustee”. Given that background jurisprudence, the unqualified immunity provided by s. 44(1)(
a) and the combined operation of ss. 47(2) and47(6), which confines the remedy in damages to voluntary losses arising from unauthorized, irregular or improper exercises of the powerof sale, ordinary negligence in the exercise of the powers listed in s. 44(1)(
a) cannot give rise to liability on the mortgagee’s part. Absentintentional misconduct, reckless sacrifice of the mortgagor’s interest in the exercise of the power of sale is required. Recklessnessis an issue of fact. The surrounding circumstances in each particular case must be considered in determining the question. However, where the mortgagee buys in at the auction for a nominal price, a reckless sacrifice of the interests of the mortgagoroccurs.
In the result, the power of sale has been exercised improperly and incidental losses cannot be labeled “involuntary”within the meaning of s. 47(6) (see London Life Insurance v.
Carrick, at para. 66). [Emphasis added; paras. 72-78] [21] In sum, the Act provides for a mortgagee to be liable to a mortgagor for an “unauthorized orimproper or irregular” exercise of the power of sale; however, where the power is “properly” exercised, in the sense that it does notintentionally or recklessly sacrifice the interests of the mortgagor, the mortgagee satisfies this obligation and is not accountable for anyloss to the mortgagor.
In practical terms, the amount recovered from a “proper” exercise of the power of sale is not open to challenge in amortgagee’s action for a deficiency. [22] In Keough, Drapeau C.J.N.B. pointed out that the statutory duty does not require the mortgagee tobuy in at a mortgage sale at market value.
Additionally, he noted the actions a mortgagee could take with a view to avoiding a factualdetermination, at a deficiency trial, that the mortgagee had intentionally or recklessly sacrificed the mortgagor’s interest and“improperly” exercised the power of sale: The mortgagee need not bid up to the probable market value of the mortgaged property: Bank of Montreal v. Allender InvestmentsLtd. and Neill (1983), (NB KB), 53 N.B.R. (2d) 143, [1983] N.B.J. No. 393 (Q.B.) (QL), Dickson J. and Nova ScotiaSavings and Loan Company v. Doucet, Doucet and Doucet (1984), (NB KB), 54 N.B.R. (2d) 72, [1984] N.B.J.
No.128 (Q.B.) (QL), Jones J., paras. 14 and 15. After all, the best outcome mortgagors can expect is a price that reflects the reality of thesituation their default created, a forced sale. Accordingly, purchasing or setting a reserved bid at a price that corresponds to theforced value of the property, as determined by an independent and reliable professional appraiser, would arguably insulatemortgagees against claims of “improper” exercise of the power of sale.
Where a mortgagee sells or buys in at the mortgage salefor a price that the mortgagee believes, on reasonable grounds, corresponds to the forced value of the property, it is difficult tosee how there could be merit to a claim of “improper” exercise of the power of sale. [Emphasis added; para. 82] [23] It is a question of fact whether a record establishes a mortgagee improperly exercised the powerof sale – whether the mortgagee intentionally or recklessly sacrificed the mortgagor’s interest.
Absent such a finding, or that themortgage sale was otherwise “unauthorized” or “irregular,” the amount recovered from the sale is to be applied against the secured debt,as provided in the Act (s. 47(3)), and the mortgagee is entitled to have his claim for any deficiency calculated on that basis. [24] In The Toronto-Dominion Bank v. Ladanchuk, 2017 NBQB 128, [2017] N.B.J.
No. 187 (QL), thetrial judge applied the framework set out in Keough to decide the Bank’s purchase of the property at the mortgage sale for $90,000 “didnot meet its obligations to avoid sacrificing, whether fraudulently, wilfully or recklessly, the defaulting mortgagors’ interest” (para. 14).Having found as a fact that the Bank had improperly exercised the power of sale, the judge determined the market value of the propertyat the time of the mortgage sale, and she applied this amount ($110,000) against the debt in calculating the deficiency due. An appeal of
this decision was dismissed ( see The Toronto-Dominion Bank v. Ladanchuk , 2018 NBCA 1 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 1 (QL) ).
For the purposes of this case, it is helpful to note the trial judge’s assessment of the record which led to the finding that the Bank had recklessly (if not fraudulently or wilfully) sacrificed the mortgagor’s equity in the property sold: This Property has been evaluated, assessed and appraised as follows: • May 2008: original purchase price $135,000. • 2010: assessment for real estate tax purposes of $104,900 and $107,000 for 2011. • June 22, 2010: market value appraised by Evaluation 2000 Ltd. at a range between $120,000 to $140,000.
This was a drive-by appraisal conducted on a comparable market data basis. […]. • July 14, 2010: purchased by the Bank at the mortgage sale for $90,000. • August 24, 2010: market value appraised by Evaluation 2000 Ltd. at $105,500.
This was a complete appraisal using a direct comparison approach.[…] I realize that this was a complete appraisal while the other was a drive-by appraisal; however, I could not find any satisfactory explanation for the $15,000 to $35,000 difference in this appraisal and the one done by the same firm two months earlier. • August 31, 2010: a market analysis was carried out by […] [a] real estate agent. He suggested a list price between $139,000 to $145,000 with an expected sale at $120,000. • February 3, 2011: [the agent] conducted another market analysis.
He suggested a list price between $79,000 and $89,000 with an expected sale at $70,000. • April 2011: the Bank agreed to sell the Property to a third party for $72,000. The sale was concluded on May 12, 2011. The mortgage commitment was a result of a mortgage broker. No appraisal report was obtained by the lender or the insurer of the mortgage with respect to the market value of the Property at the time of the approval of the mortgage application. The purchase price of the Property was $135,000. The mortgage loan of $132,546.38 was insured by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (“CMHC”).
There is no evidence of the value that CMHC or the Bank assigned to this Property in 2008 or whether they assigned any value to it; however, I conclude they must have assigned it a value of at least $135,000 at that time. The Bank knew that the defendant had purchased the Property for $135,000 two years prior to the mortgage sale.
The only appraisal that the Bank had in its possession prior to the mortgage sale was the one dated June 22, 2010, which estimated the market value of the Property at between $120,000 and $140,000 based on comparable market data. [Emphasis added; paras. 7-9] [ 25 ] Finding the Bank’s decision to permit the property to be sold at auction to itself (for $90,000) was not j ustified, and was thus an improper exercise of the statutory power of sale, the trial judge stated: In the present circumstances, was this an improper exercise of the Bank’s power of sale?
There is no evidence that the Bank believed that $90,000 was reflective of the market value or the forced value of the Property at the time of the mortgage sale . There are no grounds, reasonable or otherwise, stated for bidding that amount. There is no explanation from the lender as to why it bid the amount of $90,000. At that time, the only information the Bank had was that the Property had been purchased two years prior for the amount of $135,000, it was assessed for tax purposes at $104,900 and a reliable
professional appraiser had appraised its value between $120,000 and $140,000 a few weeks prior to the mortgage sale. Even though we are not dealing with the typical nominal amount of $100, the amount offered is still nominal in the sense that it was much lower than the appraisal of the market value that the Bank had obtained at that time. I conclude that by buying in at $90,000 the Bank did not meet its obligations to avoid sacrificing, whether fraudulently, willfully or recklessly, the defaulting mortgagors’ interest. I find that the Bank improperly exercised its power of sale.
Therefore, the principles enunciated in Keough are applicable to this case. [Emphasis added; paras. 12-14] [ 26 ] Shortly after Ladanchuk, this Court dismissed another appeal of a deficiency judgment (unreported), in Holland . However, in Holland , the trial judge did not find the power of sale had been exercised improperly. In fact, she did not address that issue and her decision turned on an assessment of the market value of the mortgaged property. Prior to the mortgage sale, the Bank received a “drive-by” appraisal that estimated the market value to be between $75,000 and $95,000.
Despite this, the Bank purchased the property at the mortgage sale for $56,000. After doing so, the Bank listed it for sale and about eight months later, after receiving only two offers, the Bank sold it for $65,000 in August 2016. The trial judge found the $56,000 received at the mortgage sale fell within the market value range for the property at the time of sale ($56,000 is approximately 86% of the market sale).
Although the judge did not decide whether the Bank had properly exercised the power of sale, this Court found no error in the judge’s factual determination that the $56,000 recovered from the mortgage sale fell within the market value range of the property at the time of sale. As the Court explained: Although it received, shortly before the auction on August 27, 2015, a “drive-by” appraisal estimating the range of market values for the property at between $75,000 and $95,000, the respondent could reasonably decline to let this estimate dictate its course of action in exercising the power of sale.
After all, the appraiser himself underscored “the property was only inspected from the street” and a full inspection might have “a negative impact on the value range reported”. As it turns out, several factors combined to demonstrate the “drive-by” estimate overstated the market value of the property.
Indeed, it was noted in a subsequent report by a professional appraiser that the residence's basement was unfinished, several windows were missing at that level, the rear step was rotten and unsafe, the flooring in the mudroom and laundry room was either missing or incomplete, one bathroom required total refinishing and the roof needed to be completely replaced. The trial judge could likewise decline to endorse the market value estimates ventured by the last-mentioned appraiser (from $125,000 in November 2015 to $70,000 six months later).
The dramatic plunge in reported values over a relatively short timeframe sufficed, by itself, to impugn the reliability of those estimates. Admittedly, the trial judge could have equated the resale price of the property ($65,000) with its market value as of the date of the mortgage sale, and another judge might well have done so. However, that equation was not required, as a matter of law: Keough v. Sandfire Capital Limited Partnership , 2016 NBCA 50 , 452 N.B.R. (2d) 233 , at para. 93 .
Correlative ly, it bears pointing out the respondent was only able to secure that price for the property a full year after its acquisition, and after market exposure for eight months, additional outlays, several reductions in the listing price and only two offers, both for less than $65,000. All things considered, I conclude the trial judge could reasonably find, as she did, the respondent’s bid fell within the range of market values as of the date of the mortgage sale.
After all, the $56,000 bid was the highest at an apparently competitive public auction and, in December 2015, an experienced real estate agent prepared a comparative market analysis of the property, which prompted him to suggest a listing price of as low as $58,000 would be reasonable and to opine the property might well sell for as little as $50,000.
There is therefore a rational connection between the evidential record and the finding that the respondent's successful bid fell within the range of market values as of the date of the mortgage sale. [Emphasis added; paras. 7-10] [ 27 ] As indicated earlier, it is an error to interpret Holland, or other cases that turned on market value, as standing for the proposition that the market value of the property sold must be determined and applied against the mortgage debt even where there has been a “proper” exercise of the power of sale.
I note that, in both Ladanchuk and Holland , the assessments and appraisals opined as to the market value of the mortgaged property, and there was no discrete evidence of the forced sale value of the property. B. The trial judge’s decision and the grounds of appeal [ 28 ] At the trial in this case, the Bank led evidence to establish it complied with the Act in exercising the power of sale. In relation to the Act ’s express requirements, which include publicly advertising the mortgage sale, the Bank provided
copies of its newspaper advertisements. To establish it had “properly” exercised the power of sale, the Bank indicated it relied principallyon the drive-by appraisal/report, which included an opinion as to the forced sale value range of the property ($96,000-$108,000).
Inessence, the Bank’s position was that, by authorizing the sale at $96,000 (the lower end of that range), it did not wilfully or recklesslysacrifice the mortgagor’s interest in the property and its actions were justifiable. [29] The Bank contends that, rather than assess whether the evidence established it properly exercisedthe power of sale, by disposing of the property to itself for $96,000, the judge erroneously interpreted the law as requiring her todetermine whether that amount reflected the market value of the property. [30] Had the facts supported a finding that $96,000 was consistent with the property’s market value,the inquiry could have ended; however, at trial, the Bank did not seek to justify the disposition of the property on that basis.
Indeed, theBank acknowledged the record indicated the market value was higher than that amount.
Relying upon Keough, the Bank’s position wasthat the power of sale was properly exercised by relying on the drive-by appraisal in determining the amount for the mortgage sale: itmaintained it did not recklessly sacrifice the mortgagor’s interest in the property and its actions were reasonable in the circumstances – itmaintained its conduct was justifiable. [31] I agree that, in the absence of finding the Bank had “improperly” exercised the power of sale, itwas an error in law to require the underlying debt be credited with a higher amount on the basis that such amount more accuratelyreflected the mortgaged property’s market value (as of the date of the sale). [32] I would set aside the decision and determine whether the record supports the Bank’s claim that itproperly exercised the power of sale, as addressed in Keough.
Specifically, the issue is whether the evidentiary record provides a basis toaccept that the decision to permit the property to be sold for $96,000 was a proper exercise of the power of sale and did not recklesslysacrifice the Williams’ interest in their property. C. Deemed admissions in an action for a deficiency after a mortgage sale [33] Before moving on to that issue, I will address a further assertion made by the Bank regarding thetrial judge’s decision.
Although not a discrete ground of appeal, the Bank submits the judge inappropriately inquired into evidencerespecting the property after the mortgage sale; her inquiries prompted the introduction of the second property valuation and evidence ofthe Bank’s sale of the property for $126,000 to a third party. The Bank did not initially offer this evidence at trial, and it argued theWilliams, who were noted in default, are deemed to have admitted the allegations made in the Statement of Claim. Contending the trialjudge impermissibly raised issues beyond the pleadings, the Bank relies on Royal Bank of Canada v.
Sears et al., 2018 NBCA 39, [2018]N.B.J. No. 190 (QL). The Bank submits such evidence is not relevant to a determination of whether the power of sale was properlyexercised. [34] Sears does not go as far as the Bank suggests, and the issues respecting deemed admissions aremore nuanced than it submits. A few key points are worth noting. First, a claim for the deficiency remaining due after a mortgage sale isa claim for an unliquidated amount, and a trial is required under Rule 21.05 of the Rules of Court: Sears, at paras. 30-31.
It isunliquidated until the trial judge either accepts that the proceeds from the mortgage sale are the product of a proper exercise of the powerof sale or, alternatively, determines the value to be applied against the debt on account of the disposition of the property. Second, inassessing damages, the court has a duty to ensure “manifestly unsustainable claims are not mechanically processed” (Sears, at para. 55,citing Salimijazi v. Pakjou, (ON SC), [2009] O.J. No. 1538 (QL), at para. 34).
Third, deemed admissions under Rule21 apply to allegations of fact, not opinions, such as an assertion that an identified amount reflects the market value of the mortgagedproperty: Holland, at para. 12. Further, trial judges may disregard a deemed admission if the allegation is contradicted by either anotherpleaded allegation or the evidentiary record. [35] The circumstances in Sears are unique. The trial judge raised issues in three distinct undefendeddeficiency actions that were beyond the obligations imposed on a mortgagee in the exercise of the power of sale under the Act.
In thoseactions, Royal Bank of Canada reduced the mortgagor’s debt by the greater of the proceeds it received from the mortgage sale or theappraised value. The trial judge found that in all actions the Bank exercised its power of sale as required by the Act, and its calculation ofthe deficiency satisfied the standard set by Keough. However, he dismissed the actions based on his finding that the Bank did notestablish it had given the mortgagors adequate notice of its intention to exercise its power of sale and a reasonable time to pay (based onthe principles first espoused in R.E. Lister Ltd. v.
Dunlop Canada Ltd., (SCC), [1982] 1 S.C.R. 726, [1982] S.C.J. No.38 (QL)). Despite the determination that the power of sale had been exercised as required by the Act, the trial judge raised, in theundefended actions, the discrete issue of notice at common law. In allowing the appeal, the Court made the following commentsregarding the role of deemed admissions in an action for a deficiency following a mortgage sale:
Since the trial required under Rule 21.05 involves a judicial determination of both liability and damages, the trial judge was entitledand indeed duty bound to determine whether the record submitted for his consideration warranted finding liability against themortgagors. Yet, and it bears underscoring, Rule 21 forms part of the adversarial regime established by the Rules of Court and,accordingly, judges must resist the temptation of assuming the role of counsel for the defendant or converting the trial process into acommission of inquiry.
That said, and as acknowledged, trial judges may, in some circumstances, disregard the deemed admissionof an allegation of fact; this admittedly exceptional step would be appropriate if the allegation is contradicted by another pleadedallegation (see Jean v. Pêcheries Roger L. Ltée, 2010 NBCA 10, 354 N.B.R. (2d) 300, at para. 46), or the evidential record. Needless to say, were such a situation to emerge, the trial judge would be expected to provide the plaintiff with a reasonable opportunityto explain away the contradiction. This might be accomplished by an amplification of the evidential record.
As will be seen, I find theevidential record does not contradict the allegation of fact in the Statements of Claim that the mortgagors were notified in writing theirfailure to bring the mortgage payments up-to-date would leave RBC “with no option but to take all steps available to recover the moneyloaned [to them] pursuant to the mortgage”. I close this cursory review of Rule 21 by underscoring only allegations of fact are deemed admitted. Conclusions of law are not. Inthis regard, I respectfully reject the contrary view on point expressed in Umlauf v.
Umlauf, (ON CA), [2001] O.J.No. 1054 (C.A.) (QL), at para. 14. […] The trial judge erred in rejecting the properly pleaded and proven deficiency claims on the ground that RBC failed to negate theexistence of unclaimed losses the mortgagors might have sustained. RBC did not bear any burden of proof in respect of any suchlosses. Its sole obligation was to compute the deficiencies in accordance with settled principles of law. On the trial judge'sundisputed findings, that is precisely what it did.
There must be justice for all sides in litigation, and the law, in its wisdom, sets limits for what judges may do to lend assistance toscofflaws. While the judge trying an undefended action under Rule 21 must ensure “manifestly unsustainable claims are notmechanically processed”, he or she owes a duty to the plaintiff “to dispense expeditious and cost-efficient justice where the defendanthas ignored the court process”: Salimijazi v. Pakjou, (ON SC), [2009] O.J. No. 1538 (QL), at para. 34 (S.C., StrathyJ., now C.J.O.).
With respect, what the judge did here unwittingly crossed the line into the impermissible. [Empahsis added; paras. 34-36 and 54-55] [36] In Holland, this Court also addressed the intersection between judicial oversight in anundefended action for a deficiency and determination of the claim based on deemed admissions. The Statement of Claim pleaded that“the price paid for the Property at the Mortgage Sale reasonably reflected the actual market value of the Property at the time.” The Courtconcluded this was not an assertion of fact, but of opinion.
The deemed admission operative under Rule 21 was not alone sufficient toestablish the asserted opinion as fact for the purpose of quantifying judgment: A parting point. In its Statement of Claim, the respondent alleged “the price paid for the Property at the Mortgage Sale reasonablyreflected the actual market value of the Property at the time”. In my view, this allegation is a statement of opinion, and not an allegation“of fact” within the meaning of Rule 21.02(1)(a). I have reached that interpretative conclusion for the following reasons.
A deficiency claim is a claim for an unliquidated amount, for which a trial is required under Rule 21.05: Royal Bank of Canada v. Searset al., 2018 NBCA 39, at paras. 30-31. If the allegation in question were treated as an allegation “of fact” within the meaning of Rule21.02(1)(a), a judicial determination of the deficiency would involve no more than a simple mathematical calculation.
As a result, adeficiency claim would, for all intents and purposes, morph into a claim for a liquidated amount, and the trial required underRule 21.05 would become a pointless exercise, thereby emasculating judicial oversight under the Rule (see Royal Bank of Canadav. Sears et al., at paras. 31-36). The
interpretation of Rule 21.02(1)(
a) required to produce this result must be rejected on the basis of itsincompatibility with the object of Rule 21.05 (see Rizzo & Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 27, [1998]S.C.J. No. 2 (Q.L.), at para. 27). [paras. 12-13] [37] The principles set out in Sears respecting deemed admissions are of no assistance to the positionadvanced by the Bank in this case.
[ 38 ] The case before the trial judge required a determination of whether the sale was proper – whether the mortgagor’s interest had been sacrificed, recklessly or otherwise.
Since evidence of an appraisal undertaken after the mortgage sale and/or the Bank selling the property to a third party is not information the Bank possessed at the time it exercised the power of sale, it is difficult to imagine, except in rare circumstances, how this evidence could weigh heavily in favour of a determination that the mortgagee had acted recklessly; however, that is not the same thing as saying such evidence is not relevant and inadmissible.
In an undefended proceeding, such evidence may provide additional context and bear on the extent to which the mortgagor’s interest has been sacrificed, if at all. Certainly, if there is an improper exercise of the power of sale, such evidence would be very significant to a determination of the market value. D.
Substitution of the Court’s decision [ 39 ] I return to the Bank’s position that by relying on the drive-by report in deciding to bid $96,000 it properly exercised the power of sale. [ 40 ] T he trial judge concluded there was “no issue” respecting whether the Bank had “properly compl[ied] with its obligations pursuant to the Act and its power of sale” (para. 6); however, I do not take this statement as indicating she found, as a fact, that the Bank did not recklessly sacrifice the mortgagor’s interests, in the sense that it reasonably relied on the opinion as to the forced value.
Had that been the focus of her analysis, or her determination, she would not have decided it was necessary to also determine the property’s market value as of the mortgage sale. It appears she was suggesting the Bank had complied with the express requirements for a mortgage sale under the Act . [ 41 ] Further, although the judge indicated that, were it not for the Bank’s sale at $126,000, she would have accepted $96,000 as market value, this statement cannot form a basis for this Court to answer the position taken by the Bank at trial.
In fact, there was no suggestion $96,000 reflected the market value of the property; as noted, the Bank’s position was that $96,000 represented the low end of the forced sale value range, but it acted properly in exercising the power to sell at this amount, based on Keough . [ 42 ] Undoubtedly, as indicated in Keough , the opinion of “a n independent and reliable professional appraiser” will go a long way to establish that, when deciding the amount to pay for the mortgaged property, it was reasonable to accept such amount reflected the property’s forced value (para. 82).
However, as this Court also indicated in Ladanchuk and Holland , the opinions in such an appraisal or report must be viewed in context of the record in its entirety and reliance on them must be justifiably reasonable. [ 43 ] Despite the Bank’s decision to choose the lowest end of the range identified in the drive-by appraisal/report, without providing any evidence as to why the circumstances led to the adoption of this amount, I would accept that the record as a whole supports the Bank’s claim to have properly exercised the power of sale.
I do so even while recognizing that the analysis in the drive-by appraisal/report raised a number of issues that caused doubt about the lower end of the range being overly cautious or pessimistic. Perhaps most favourable in this regard, albeit n ot expressly explained or addressed in the Bank’s affidavit evidence, is the fact that, at the time the Bank undertook the mortgage sale, much was unknown about the condition of the property. [ 44 ] Somewhat ironically, it is the evidence from after the mortgage sale that bolsters the opinion that the forced sale value was in the range of $96,000 to $108,000.
The full appraisal, which followed the inspection of the property, concluded the forced sale value was $110,800, being 80% of the market value of $138,500. [ 45 ] Additionally, after being listed for sale, the property was sold for $126,000. To the extent that this amount represents the market value, the forced sale value is $100,800, based on the 80% of market value methodology. The record does not reveal the listing agent’s fees, so the net proceeds recovered by the Bank from the $126,000 is unknown. If the fee was 6%, plus HST, the net proceeds from the sale would be $117,306.
The forced sale value based on the net proceeds from market sale is $93,845. V. Disposition [ 46 ] For these reasons, I would allow the appeal and remit the matter to the trial judge and direct that
$96,000 be used in place of $108,000 in the assessment set out in the Order For Deficiency Judgment dated October 19, 2021. I wouldnot order costs. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I.
Introduction [1] Dans une action en recouvrement d’un déficit à la suite d’une vente hypothécaire, le créancierhypothécaire a le fardeau d’établir le montant qu’il réclame au débiteur hypothécaire ou aux débiteurs hypothécaires, ce qui comprend lefardeau de convaincre la Cour que le produit de la vente était le résultat d’un exercice du pouvoir de vente prévu aux art. 44 à 47 de laLoi sur les biens, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-19 (la Loi) qui n’était pas « impropre ».
Pour juger que le pouvoir a été exercé convenablement,il n’est pas nécessaire de conclure que la valeur marchande du bien a été obtenue lors de la vente hypothécaire. Cependant, lorsque lepouvoir est exercé « improprement », le créancier hypothécaire doit rendre compte de cette disposition du bien en portant au crédit de sacréance garantie la valeur marchande du bien à la date de la vente hypothécaire : Keough c.
Sandfire Capital Limited Partnership, 2016 NBCA 50, 452 R.N.-B. (2e) 233. [2] Dans l’arrêt Keough, notre Cour est venue préciser la portée des obligations d’originelégislative qui incombent au créancier hypothécaire déclarant exercer le pouvoir de vente que lui confère la Loi. La loi n’exige pas ducréancier hypothécaire qu’il recouvre la valeur marchande du bien hypothéqué.
En effet, la Loi dégage expressément le créancierhypothécaire de la responsabilité en cas de perte involontaire découlant d’un exercice du pouvoir de vente conforme à la loi; elle prévoitque la responsabilité ne sera engagée que lorsque l’exercice du pouvoir de vente est « irrégulier, impropre ou non autorisé » (par. 47(2)).Comme l’a expliqué le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre), cela exclut la responsabilité pour négligence ordinaire.
L’exercicedu pouvoir de vente n’est pas « impropre » lorsque le créancier hypothécaire ne sacrifie pas l’intérêt du débiteur hypothécaire sur lebien vendu intentionnellement ou de façon irréfléchie. Si les mesures prises par le créancier hypothécaire dans l’exercice de ce pouvoirnuisent aux intérêts du débiteur hypothécaire sur le bien, le créancier hypothécaire doit avoir [TRADUCTION] « raisonnablementestim[é] [ces mesures] nécessaires pour la protection de ses propres intérêts ».
En exerçant le pouvoir, le créancier hypothécaire nedevrait pas prendre de mesures qui [TRADUCTION] « ne peuvent être assimilées à celles [qu’un créancier hypothécaire honnête]estimer[ait] nécessaires » (Keough, par. 76, citant British Columbia Land and Investment Agency c. Ishitaka (1911), (SCC), 45 R.C.S. 302, p. 317). [3] Dans la pratique, il arrive souvent dans les actions en recouvrement de déficit que le créancierhypothécaire affirme que le montant qu’il a porté au crédit de la dette du débiteur hypothécaire est représentatif de la valeur marchandedu bien vendu (à la date de la vente hypothécaire).
Dans ces affaires, le procès porte alors uniquement sur la question de savoir si lasomme imputée à la dette correspond bel et bien à la valeur marchande. Cela se produit notamment lorsque le créancier hypothécaireacquiert le bien lors de la vente hypothécaire moyennant une somme nominale, comme 1 000 $. En l’absence de circonstancesexceptionnelles, on ne peut justifier l’exercice du pouvoir de vente à un tel montant et il devient clair et évident que l’intérêt du débiteurhypothécaire sur le bien a été sacrifié intentionnellement et de façon irréfléchie.
En présence d’un aveu ou d’une conclusion portant quele pouvoir de vente d’origine législative a été exercé improprement, la seule question sur laquelle il reste à statuer est celle de déterminerla valeur marchande du bien à la date de la vente hypothécaire. Même lorsque le créancier hypothécaire achète le bien lors de la ventehypothécaire pour une somme qui ne peut être qualifiée de nominale, il ne fait pas toujours valoir que cette somme devrait être utiliséedans l’évaluation du déficit, au motif qu’elle traduit un exercice du pouvoir de vente qui n’est pas « impropre ».
Le créancierhypothécaire propose plutôt d’utiliser une somme différente et supérieure, qui, selon lui, est représentative de la valeur marchande dubien. Cela a généralement été le cas lorsque le créancier hypothécaire propose de porter au crédit de la dette la somme recouvrée lors dela deuxième vente à un tiers.
Quoi qu’il en soit, encore une fois, dans une telle situation, la seule question sur laquelle la cour doitstatuer, dans le calcul du déficit, consiste à déterminer si la somme proposée reflète la valeur marchande du bien. [4] L’erreur alléguée qui est au cœur du présent appel est la conclusion de la juge du procès selonlaquelle il était nécessaire de déterminer la valeur marchande du bien hypothéqué et de décider, à la lumière de cette détermination, si lasomme recouvrée à la vente hypothécaire satisfaisait l’obligation de la créancière hypothécaire relativement à la disposition du bien,sans examiner (ou malgré qu’elle ait accepté) la thèse de la créancière hypothécaire voulant qu’elle eût exercé le pouvoir de vente d’une
manière qui n’était pas « impropre » en acquérant elle-même le bien au prix de 96 000 $. [5] Bien que la juge ait reconnu les principes exposés dans l’arrêt Keough , sa conclusion relative à l’obligation de déterminer la valeur marchande du bien est une erreur de droit. Celle-ci se dégage principalement de l’interprétation qu’elle fait de l’arrêt Holland c. La Banque Toronto-Dominion , 2018 NBCA 40 , [2018] A.N.-B. n° 188 (QL), ainsi que d’autres décisions, où la valeur marchande du bien vendu avait été évaluée à la date de la vente hypothécaire.
S’il est vrai que, dans l’arrêt Holland , notre Cour a confirmé la conclusion de la juge du procès voulant que la somme payée lors de la vente hypothécaire correspondait à la valeur marchande du bien, cette décision ne signifie pas que la valeur marchande doit être portée au crédit de la dette hypothécaire lorsque l’exercice du pouvoir de vente n’a pas été exercé « improprement ».
La décision ne fait qu’illustrer la thèse des parties et le dossier dont disposait la juge du procès en ce qui concerne la valeur marchande du bien en question. [6] Pour les motifs exposés ci-après, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel et de prescrire que la demande de l’appelante soit évaluée en fonction de la somme de 96 000 $ recouvrée de la vente hypothécaire. II. Contexte [7] En 2010, Douglas et Susan Williams ont accordé à la Banque Royale du Canada une hypothèque accessoire sur leur maison à
titre de sûreté pour l’ensemble des dettes dues à la Banque, jusqu’à concurrence de 175 000 $, et des frais. [8] Dans une lettre datée du 13 août 2018, l’avocat de la Banque a sommé les Williams de payer la totalité de l’arriéré dû sur leur hypothèque et leur ligne de crédit, plus les honoraires d’avocat et débours applicables, notamment, au plus tard le 23 août, à défaut de quoi la procédure d’exercice du pouvoir de vente serait engagée et le bien hypothéqué, vendu. [9] Dans une autre lettre, celle-ci datée du 31 août 2018, l’avocat les informait que la Banque avait l’intention d’exercer son pouvoir de vente par voie de vente aux enchères publiques qui aurait lieu le 12 octobre 2018, au palais de justice de Saint John.
Il demandait en outre aux Williams de quitter leur maison au plus tard à cette date. L’avis de vente hypothécaire contenait la mention suivante : [TRADUCTION] « [S]i aucune offre d’achat suffisante n’est reçue […] à cette vente aux enchères publiques, [le bien] pourrait être retiré des enchères et vendu dans le cadre d’un contrat privé sans autre préavis. » La vente hypothécaire a été reportée au 22 novembre 2018. [10] Un [TRADUCTION] « rapport d’évaluation résidentielle sur seule vue extérieure », daté du 28 août 2018, a été acheminé à l’avocat de la Banque.
Les Williams habitaient toujours la maison à ce moment-là. Dans ce rapport, on estimait que la [TRADUCTION] « fourchette de valeur marchande » de la maison des Williams était de 120 000 $ à 135 000 $. L’avis était fondé sur le prix de vente de trois biens [TRADUCTION] « comparables », qui avaient été vendus, respectivement, à 130 250 $, 173 000 $ et 168 000 $. La vente au prix le plus bas (130 250 $) était celle d’un bien se trouvant sur la même rue que la maison des Williams, et le rapport mentionne que c’est à cette vente que la plus grande importance a été accordée.
Le rapport indique en outre qu’une durée raisonnable d’exposition sur le marché serait de 60 à 90 jours. [11] En outre, le rapport indique que [TRADUCTION] « l’usage prévu de l’évaluation » est en lien avec l’exercice d’un pouvoir de vente, et on y estime que la [TRADUCTION] « fourchette de valeur en cas de vente forcée » du bien est de 96 000 $ à 108 000 $.
Bien que cela ne soit pas clairement indiqué dans ce rapport, dans un rapport d’évaluation ultérieur, le même auteur explique que la valeur en cas de vente forcée a été établie en prenant 80 % de la juste valeur marchande qui est de l’ordre de 120 000 $ à 135 000 $. [12] Lors de la vente aux enchères qui a eu lieu en novembre 2018, la Banque a offert une enchère de 96 000 $, soit la limite inférieure de la fourchette en cas de vente forcée indiquée dans le rapport. L’encanteur a accepté cette offre.
Même si cela ne ressort pas clairement du dossier, il semble que la Banque a été la seule à offrir une enchère. [13] Le 22 janvier 2019, après que le bien a été libéré et acquis par la Banque, le même évaluateur a procédé à l’inspection du bien, notamment de son intérieur, et a transmis un [TRADUCTION] « rapport d’évaluation résidentielle » portant cette même date. La valeur marchande y est estimée à 138 500 $. Cette évaluation tenait compte de la vente de trois biens comparables, au prix de 133 000 $, de 133 500 $ et de 159 500 $.
Le rapport mentionnait en outre que la cliente avait demandé que la valeur en cas de vente forcée soit indiquée, et celle-ci était estimée à 110 800 $, accompagnée d’une note expliquant que
[TRADUCTION] « une estimation raisonnable de la valeur en cas de vente forcée correspond à 80 % » de la valeur marchande (138 500 $). [14] La Banque a inscrit le bien en vente. Bien que le dossier n’indique pas clairement le montant demandé, le 12 mars 2019 ou vers cette date, un tiers a présenté une offre d’achat au prix de 126 000 $.
La Banque a accepté cette somme à la condition que l’acheteur accepte le bien [TRADUCTION] « en l’état où il se trouve » et à certaines autres conditions, qui traduisaient principalement le fait que le bien était vendu sous réserve de cette condition et que la Banque ne ferait aucune déclaration du genre de celles qui sont typiquement faites par un vendeur qui est familier avec le bien. [15] La Banque a intenté l’action sous-jacente contre les Williams en vue d’obtenir un jugement en recouvrement du déficit restant une fois imputés les 96 000 $ recouvrés de la vente hypothécaire.
Lors de l’instruction visant à fixer la somme due, la juge a conclu que le produit de la vente était inférieur à la valeur marchande et a ordonné que la somme de 108 000 $ soit portée au crédit de la dette, plutôt que la somme de 96 000 $. Il s’agit de la décision dont il est interjeté appel. [16] Ni M. Williams ni M me Williams n’ont présenté de défense à l’action ou participé au procès. M. Williams a été mis en faillite avant l’audience relative aux dommages-intérêts, et la Banque s’est désistée de son action contre lui.
M me Williams a par la suite été mise en faillite et un juge de notre Cour a rendu une ordonnance autorisant la Banque à poursuivre son appel contre le syndic de faillite de M me Williams. Ni M me Williams ni son syndic de faillite n’a participé à l’appel. [17] La Banque a demandé de poursuivre l’appel pour que notre Cour annule la décision faisant l’objet de l’appel et confirme que la Banque n’a pas exercé « improprement » le pouvoir de vente que lui confère la Loi, selon l’interprétation exposée dans l’arrêt Keough .
Rien n’indique que l’issue du présent appel aura une quelconque incidence sur la somme que la Banque peut s’attendre à recouvrer si elle dépose une preuve de réclamation dans les procédures de faillite, et elle n’a pas demandé de dépens. La Banque affirme que la façon dont elle a procédé à la vente hypothécaire était orientée par les directives données par notre Cour dans l’arrêt Keough. III.
Moyens d’appel [18] La Banque affirme que la juge a commis une erreur de droit : 1) en concluant qu’elle était redevable de la valeur marchande du bien, à la date de la vente hypothécaire, malgré sa conclusion selon laquelle la Banque s’était [TRADUCTION] « conformée convenablement à ses obligations » (l’italique est de moi) découlant de la Loi ; et 2) en omettant d’appliquer l’arrêt Keough et de reconnaître que, lorsqu’un pouvoir de vente est exercé d’une manière qui n’est pas « impropre », le produit recouvré de la vente doit être imputé à la dette du débiteur hypothécaire ou des débiteurs hypothécaires et employé dans le calcul de tout déficit encore dû.
IV. Analyse A. Un exercice « impropre » du pouvoir de vente légitime conféré par la Loi [19] Dans l’arrêt Keough , contrairement au cas qui nous occupe, le créancier hypothécaire avait acquis le bien à la vente hypothécaire moyennant la somme nominale de 100 $.
Comme cette acquisition démontrait un exercice manifestement « impropre » du pouvoir de vente, par lequel avaient été sacrifiés les intérêts du débiteur hypothécaire sans raison valable, la Cour a ordonné que la valeur marchande du bien soit déterminée (à la date de la vente hypothécaire) et affectée au remboursement de la dette du débiteur hypothécaire ( Keough , par. 84 ).
Si le pouvoir de vente n’avait pas été exercé « improprement », la Cour n’aurait pas exigé que la valeur marchande soit affectée au remboursement de la dette. [20] Traitant des droits et obligations du créancier hypothécaire dans le cadre d’un présumé exercice du pouvoir de vente conféré par la Loi, le juge en chef Drapeau les a décrits comme étant favorables au créancier hypothécaire dans une mesure telle qu’on peut dire qu’elles sont sans équivalent ailleurs dans le monde de la common law ( Keough , par. 4 , voir aussi Gambit Holdings & Development , Deering c.
Bayview Credit Union , 2002 NBCA 49 , 251 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 158 ). Voici ce qu’il a affirmé par rapport aux obligations qui incombent au créancier hypothécaire exerçant le pouvoir de vente envers le débiteur hypothécaire :
Au
titre du par. 47(2), le débiteur hypothécaire en défaut est en droit de s’attendre à un exercice du pouvoir de vente qui n’est ninon autorisé, ni irrégulier ni impropre. Si le créancier hypothécaire ne se conforme pas à ces exigences, le débiteur hypothécairedispose d’un recours en dommages-intérêts en cas de perte volontaire découlant de cet exercice.
(5) Exercice « impropre » du pouvoir de vente Selon l’un des outils ou principes d’interprétation bien établis, il faut attribuer un sens à chaque disposition législative et à chaque mot dela disposition en cause. Le par. 47(2) de la
Loi sur les biens fait état d’un exercice « irrégulier, impropre ou non autorisé » dupouvoir de vente. Il faut attribuer un sens à chacun des adjectifs cités. Plus particulièrement, un exercice « impropre » du pouvoir devente vise une conduite qui ne constitue ni un exercice « non autorisé » ni un exercice « irrégulier », ce qui nous amène à l’une desquestions clés : l’expression « exercice impropre du pouvoir de vente » inclut-elle la négligence ordinaire? Je répondrai simplement quenon. L’expression citée se trouve dans les lois sur les biens successives de notre province depuis 1903.
Son inclusion dans la loi de 1903remonte à quelques années après le prononcé de la décision que la Cour d’appel de l’Angleterre a rendue dans l’arrêt Kennedy c.De Trafford, [1896] 1 Ch. 762. Dans cette affaire, le lord juge Lindley a qualifié un exercice impropre du pouvoir de vente d’exercicequi sacrifie [TRADUCTION] « frauduleusement, intentionnellement ou d’une façon irréfléchie » les intérêts du débiteur hypothécaire(voir la p. 772). À son avis, l’obligation [TRADUCTION] « de prendre des précautions raisonnables pour obtenir un prix raisonnable »,à laquelle il avait déjà fait allusion dans l’affaire Farrar c.
Farrars, Limited (1889), 40 Ch. D. 395, à la p. 411, ne signifiait rien de plusqu’une obligation d’éviter de sacrifier frauduleusement, intentionnellement ou d’une façon irréfléchie l’intérêt du débiteur hypothécaire. Devant la Chambre des lords, le débiteur hypothécaire en défaut a fait valoir que même si le créancier hypothécaire avait agi de bonnefoi, le bien avait été vendu à un prix inférieur à sa valeur, un résultat qui, selon lui, était attribuable à l’omission par le créancier de tenirune vente aux enchères et de faire une publicité adéquate et suffisante de la vente.
Lord Herschell a qualifié l’appel interjeté par ledébiteur hypothécaire [TRADUCTION] « d’appel le plus futile jamais interjeté » (voir Kennedy c. De Trafford, [1897] A.C. 180 (Ch.des lords), à la p. 183). Il a ensuite fait les observations suivantes au sujet des obligations du créancier hypothécaire : [TRADUCTION] […] [L’]appelant veut obtenir l’annulation de l’hypothèque au motif que les créanciers hypothécaires ont manqué à leur obligationrelativement à la vente en cause.
Premièrement, il est allégué qu’ils ont vendu pour moins que la valeur et que cette vente pour moinsque la valeur découle du fait qu’ils ne se sont pas acquittés des obligations qui leur incombaient en leur qualité de créanciershypothécaires. Il n’est pas contesté qu’ils ont vendu de bonne foi. Ils n’avaient pas d’autre intention que celle d’exercer convenablementle pouvoir de vente que leur conférait leur hypothèque.
Toutefois, il est aussi allégué qu’ils n’ont pas mis les bâtiments en vente auxenchères, qu’ils n’ont placé que deux publicités annonçant la vente par appel d’offres et qu’ils ont finalement vendu à M. Dodson pourune somme correspondant au montant du principal, des intérêts et des frais. Pour ma part, je suis disposé à penser que si, dans l’exercice de son pouvoir de vente, un créancier hypothécaire fait preuve de bonne foi,sans aucune intention de léser son débiteur hypothécaire, il serait très difficile, voire impossible, d’établir qu’il a commis une violationquelconque de ses obligations envers ce dernier.
Le lord juge Lindley, dans le tribunal d’instance inférieure, affirmequ’[TRADUCTION] « il n’est pas juste, approprié ni légal qu’il sacrifie frauduleusement, intentionnellement ou d’une façon irréfléchiele bien du débiteur hypothécaire ». Eh bien, je pense que tout cela est couvert par le fait qu’il a exercé de bonne foi le pouvoir qui luiétait dévolu.
Il est très difficile de définir tout ce qui pourrait être couvert par l’expression [TRADUCTION] « bonne foi », ou d’endonner une définition exhaustive, mais je pense qu’il serait déraisonnable d’exiger du créancier hypothécaire de faire plus qu’exercer sonpouvoir de vente de cette façon.
Il va de soi que s’il dispose sciemment et d’une façon irréfléchie du bien en cause de manière telle queles intérêts du débiteur hypothécaire sont sacrifiés, je dirais alors qu’il n’a pas exercé son pouvoir de vente de bonne foi. [P. 184 et 185] Lord MacNaghten a souscrit à ces propos, ajoutant que [TRADUCTION] « si un créancier hypothécaire qui vend en vertu du pouvoir devente que lui confère son hypothèque prend la peine de se conformer aux clauses qui confèrent ce pouvoir et agit de bonne foi […] saconduite [ne peut] être attaquée » (p. 192). Les autres lords se sont déclarés d’accord.
Dans l’arrêt British Columbia Land and Investment Agency c. Ishitaka (1911), (SCC), 45 R.C.S. 302, le juge Duff(tel était alors son titre) a résumé en ces termes l’effet de l’arrêt Kennedy c. De Trafford :
[TRADUCTION] [En exerçant un pouvoir de vente, le créancier hypothécaire] est tenu d’agir de bonne foi, c’est-à-dire qu’il est tenu d’exercer le pouvoirhonnêtement aux fins pour lesquelles il a été attribué.
Si le créancier hypothécaire procède d’une façon qui vise à nuire aux intérêts dudébiteur hypothécaire et si les mesures qu’il prend ne peuvent être assimilées à celles que, dans les circonstances, un créancierhypothécaire honnête peut raisonnablement estimer nécessaires pour la protection de ses propres intérêts; s’il sacrifie les intérêts dudébiteur hypothécaire « frauduleusement, intentionnellement ou d’une façon irréfléchie », alors […] on comprendrait difficilementcomment il a pu agir de bonne foi.
Mais on est très loin de dire qu’il a, envers le débiteur hypothécaire (sans égard à ses propres intérêtsen tant que créancier hypothécaire), l’obligation de prendre tous les moyens qu’un homme prudent pourrait prendre en vendant sonpropre bien. […] [P. 316 et 317] Le juge Duff a ensuite déclaré qu’[TRADUCTION] « il est évident qu’en exerçant son pouvoir, le créancier hypothécaire n’agit pas enqualité de fiduciaire ». Compte tenu de cette toile de fond jurisprudentielle, de l’immunité absolue que confère l’al. 44(1)
a) et de l’effet combiné despar. 47(2) et 47(6) qui limitent le recours en dommages-intérêts aux pertes volontaires découlant de l’exercice non autorisé, irrégulier ouimpropre du pouvoir de vente, une négligence ordinaire dans l’exercice des pouvoirs énumérés à l’al. 44(1)
a) ne peut engager laresponsabilité du créancier hypothécaire. En l’absence d’une inconduite intentionnelle, le sacrifice irréfléchi de l’intérêt dudébiteur hypothécaire lors de l’exercice du pouvoir de vente est requis. Le caractère irréfléchi est une question de fait. Lescirconstances de chaque cas particulier doivent être prises en considération pour trancher la question. Toutefois, lorsque le créancier hypothécaire se porte acquéreur aux enchères à un prix nominal, les intérêts du débiteurhypothécaire sont sacrifiés de façon irréfléchie.
Il en découle que le pouvoir de vente a été exercé improprement et que les pertesdécoulant de cet exercice ne peuvent être qualifiées d’« involontaires » au sens du par. 47(6) (voir London Life Insurance Co. c.Carrick, au par. 66). [Les soulignements et les caractères gras sont de moi; par. 72 à 78] [21] En résumé, la Loi dispose que le créancier hypothécaire sera responsable envers le débiteurhypothécaire en cas d’exercice « irrégulier, impropre ou non autorisé » du pouvoir de vente; cependant, lorsque le pouvoir n’est pasexercé « improprement » au sens où les intérêts du débiteur hypothécaire n’ont pas été sacrifiés intentionnellement ou de façonirréfléchie, le créancier hypothécaire satisfait à cette obligation et n’est pas responsable envers le débiteur hypothécaire pour sa perte, s’ilen est.
En termes concrets, cela signifie que la somme recouvrée grâce à un exercice du pouvoir de vente qui n’est pas « impropre » nepeut être contestée par le créancier hypothécaire par voie d’action en recouvrement de déficit. [22] Dans l’arrêt Keough, le juge en chef Drapeau fait remarquer que l’obligation prévue par la loin’exige pas du créancier hypothécaire qu’il acquière le bien pour sa valeur marchande lors d’une vente hypothécaire.
Il indique en outreles mesures que peut prendre un créancier hypothécaire afin d’éviter une conclusion de fait, à l’issue d’un procès en recouvrement dedéficit, portant qu’il aurait sacrifié intentionnellement ou de façon irréfléchie les intérêts du débiteur hypothécaire et exercé« improprement » le pouvoir de vente : Il n’est pas nécessaire que le créancier hypothécaire fasse monter les prix jusqu’à la valeur marchande probable du bien hypothéqué : Bank of Montreal c.
Allender Investments Ltd. and Neill (1983), (NB KB), 53 R.N.-B. (2e) 143, [1983] A.N.-B. no 393 (C.B.R.) (QL), motifs du juge Dickson, et Nova Scotia Savings and Loan Company c. Doucet, Doucet and Doucet (1984), (NB KB), 54 R.N.-B. (2e) 72, [1984] A.N.-B. no 128 (C.B.R.) (QL), motifs du juge Jones, par. 14 et 15.Après tout, le meilleur résultat que peuvent espérer les débiteurs hypothécaires est un prix reflétant la réalité de la situation que leurdéfaut de paiement a provoquée, à savoir une vente forcée.
Par conséquent, il est permis de croire que l’acquisition ou la fixation duprix du bien à un prix correspondant à sa valeur lors d’une vente forcée, déterminée par un évaluateur professionnelindépendant et digne de confiance, protégerait les créanciers hypothécaires contre des allégations d’exercice « impropre » de leurpouvoir de vente.
Lorsqu’un créancier hypothécaire vend un bien ou s’en porte acquéreur à la vente hypothécaire à un prix qu’ilcroit, pour des motifs raisonnables, correspondre à sa valeur lors d’une vente forcée, il est difficile de voir comment uneallégation d’exercice « impropre » du pouvoir de vente pourrait être fondée. [Les soulignements et les caractères gras sont de moi;par. 82] [23] Déterminer si le dossier établit que le créancier hypothécaire a exercé improprement le pouvoirde vente – ou qu’il a sacrifié les intérêts du débiteur hypothécaire intentionnellement ou de façon irréfléchie – est une question de fait.
Enl’absence d’une telle conclusion, ou d’une conclusion selon laquelle la vente hypothécaire était par ailleurs « non autorisée » ou« irrégulière », la somme recouvrée lors de la vente hypothécaire doit être affectée au remboursement de la créance garantie, comme leprévoit la Loi (par. 47(3)), et le créancier hypothécaire est en droit de réclamer tout déficit calculé sur ce fondement.
[24] Dans l’arrêt Banque Toronto-Dominion c. Ladanchuk , 2017 NBBR 128 , [2017] A.N.-B. n° 187 (QL), la juge du procès a appliqué le cadre exposé dans l’arrêt Keough et a conclu que, par l’achat du bien pour 90 000 $ lors de la vente hypothécaire, la Banque [TRADUCTION] « n’a pas respecté l’obligation qui lui incombait de ne pas sacrifier frauduleusement, intentionnellement ou d’une façon irréfléchie l’intérêt du débiteur hypothécaire » (par. 14).
Ayant formulé la conclusion de fait que la Banque avait effectué un exercice « impropre » du pouvoir de vente, la juge a déterminé la valeur marchande du bien à la date de la vente hypothécaire et a affecté cette somme (110 000 $) au remboursement de la dette dans le calcul du déficit. L’appel de cette décision a été rejeté (voir La Banque Toronto-Dominion c. Ladanchuk , 2018 NBCA 1 , [2018] A.N.-B. n° 1 (QL)).
Pour les besoins de l’espèce, il est utile de reproduire l’évaluation du dossier faite par la juge du procès qui a mené à la conclusion que la Banque avait sacrifié de façon irréfléchie (si ce n’est de façon frauduleuse ou volontaire) l’intérêt du débiteur hypothécaire sur le bien vendu : [TRADUCTION] La propriété a fait l’objet de diverses évaluations et estimations, comme suit : • Mai 2008 — Prix d’achat initial de 135 000 $. • 2010 — Évaluations pour les besoins de l’impôt foncier de 104 900 $ et 107 000 en 2011. • 22 juin 2010 — Evaluations 2000 Appraisals Ltd. a évalué la valeur marchande et a indiqué qu’elle se situait entre 120 000 $ et 140 000 $.
Il s’agissait d’une évaluation sur seule vue extérieure fondée sur des données de marché comparable. […] • 14 juillet 2010 — Acquisition par la Banque lors de la vente hypothécaire au prix de 90 000 $. • 24 août 2010 — Evaluations 2000 Appraisals Ltd. a évalué la valeur marchande à 105 000 $.
Il s’agissait d’une évaluation exhaustive s’appuyant sur la technique de la parité. […] Je suis consciente que c’était une évaluation exhaustive tandis que la précédente était sur seule vue extérieure, mais rien n’explique de manière satisfaisante la différence de 15 000 $ à 35 000 $ existant entre cette évaluation et celle faite, deux mois plus tôt, par le même cabinet. • 31 août 2010 — Analyse du marché réalisée par […], agente immobilière […], qui a proposé un prix de vente situé entre 139 000 $ et 145 000 $, en s’attendant à une vente à 120 000 $. • 3 février 2011 — [L’agente] a procédé à une nouvelle analyse du marché, et proposé cette fois un prix de vente situé entre 79 000 $ et 89 000 $, en s’attendant à une vente à 70 000 $. • Avril 2011 — La Banque a consenti à vendre la propriété à un tiers pour 72 000 $.
La vente a été conclue le 12 mai 2011. La promesse de prêt hypothécaire a été obtenue par l’entremise d’un courtier en hypothèques. Ni le prêteur ni l’assureur du prêt hypothécaire ne s’est procuré un rapport d’évaluation sur la valeur marchande de la propriété au moment de l’approbation du prêt hypothécaire. La propriété a été achetée au prix de 135 000 $. Le prêt hypothécaire de 132 546,38 $ était assuré par la Société canadienne d’hypothèques et de logement (« la SCHL »).
Aucune preuve ne montre la valeur que la SCHL ou la Banque a attribuée à la propriété en 2008, ni même si elles lui ont attribué une valeur quelconque; je conclus toutefois qu’elles ont dû y attribuer à l’époque une valeur d’au moins 135 000 $. La Banque savait que le défendeur avait acheté la propriété pour 135 000 $ deux ans avant la date de la vente hypothécaire.
Selon la seule évaluation (datée du 22 juin 2010) dont la banque disposait avant la vente hypothécaire, la valeur marchande de la propriété se situait entre 120 000 $ et 140 000 $ en fonction de données de marché comparable. […] [Les soulignements et les caractères gras sont de moi; par. 7 à 9] [25] La juge du procès a conclu que la décision de la Banque d’autoriser la vente du bien à elle-même
aux enchères (au prix de 90 000 $) n’était pas justifiée et constituait par le fait même un exercice impropre du pouvoir de vente conféré par la loi. Elle s’est exprimée en ces termes : [TRADUCTION] En l’espèce, la Banque a-t-elle exercé de manière impropre son pouvoir de vente? Aucune preuve ne montre que la Banque croyait que la somme de 90 000 $ correspondait, au moment de la vente hypothécaire, à la valeur marchande de la propriété, ou à sa valeur lors d’une vente forcée. Aucun motif n’a été avancé, qu’il soit raisonnable ou non, expliquant pourquoi la Banque avait offert cette somme aux enchères.
Le prêteur n’explique aucunement pourquoi il avait offert la somme de 90 000 $ aux enchères. À l’époque, les seuls renseignements dont la Banque disposait étaient que la propriété avait été acquise au prix de 135 000 $ deux années plus tôt, qu’elle avait été évaluée à 104 900 $ aux fins d’imposition et qu’un évaluateur professionnel digne de confiance avait établi, quelques semaines avant la vente hypothécaire, que sa valeur oscillait entre 120 000 $ et 140 000 $.
Même si nous n’avons pas affaire à la somme nominale courante de 100 $, la somme offerte reste néanmoins nominale, en ce sens qu’elle était de beaucoup inférieure à l’évaluation de la valeur marchande de la propriété que la Banque avait obtenue à l’époque. Je conclus qu’en achetant la propriété pour 90 000 $, la Banque n’a pas respecté l’obligation qui lui incombait de ne pas sacrifier frauduleusement, intentionnellement ou d’une façon irréfléchie l’intérêt du débiteur hypothécaire.
Les principes énoncés dans l’arrêt Keough sont donc applicables en l’espèce. [Les soulignements et les caractères gras sont de moi; par. 12 à 14] [26] Peu de temps après l’arrêt Ladanchuk , notre Cour a rejeté un autre appel d’une décision portant sur le recouvrement d’un déficit (non publiée), dans l’affaire Holland. Or, dans cette affaire, la juge d