2021 NBCA 23, 2021 NBCA 23
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 57-20-CA J.J.S. APPELLANT J.J.S. APPELANT - and - - et - E.M.S. RESPONDENT E.M.S. INTIMÉE J.J.S. v. E.M.S., 2021 NBCA 23 J.J.S. c.
E.M.S., 2021 NBCA 23 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: July 2, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 2 juillet 2020 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2020 NBQB 123 Décision frappée d’appel : 2020 NBBR 123 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard and judgment rendered: April 22, 2021 Appel entendu et jugement rendu : le 22 avril 2021 Reasons delivered: July 15, 2021 Motifs déposés : le 15 juillet 2021
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Michael R. Young For the respondent: Grant M. Ogilvie, Q.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Michael R. Young Pour l’intimée : Grant M. Ogilvie, c.r. THE COURT On May 13, 2021, the Court dismissed the appeal with costs of $2,500 and indicated reasons would follow. These are the reasons.
LA COUR Le 13 mai 2021, la Cour a rejeté l’appel avec dépens de 2 500 $ et a indiqué que les motifs suivraient. Voici ces motifs. The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The appellant father and respondent mother are the parents of a 13-year-old child. Upon the breakdown of their marriage, they were unable to agree on custodial arrangements, including with whom their child would reside and how decisions concerning the child would be made.
Following a multi-day trial in the fall of 2019, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench ordered that the mother would have sole custody and therefore final decision-making authority. The father now appeals. An older child of the parties, who was 16 at the time the appeal was heard, is at an age where he is able to decide for himself with whom he should live and has chosen to reside with his mother. His custody was not a live issue before us. [ 2 ] On May 13, 2021, we rendered our decision dismissing the father’s appeal with reasons to follow.
It is for the reasons set out below that I joined my colleagues in reaching that conclusion.
II. Background [ 3 ] The parties married in June 2009 and separated in September 2017, at which time the father left the marital home. As noted, there are two children of the marriage. The older of the two is the natural child of the mother and was adopted by the appellant father.
The younger child was born to the couple in 2007. [ 4 ] In November 2017, the mother filed a Petition for Divorce, following which the father filed an Answer and Counter-Petition in February 2018. [ 5 ] By Interim Order, which issued in February 2018, the parents were granted joint custody of the children with the father “having primary care and day to day decision making.” Major decisions were to involve both parents but, if they were unable to reach an agreement, the father was given final decision-making authority.
The children were to spend every other weekend, and every Wednesday overnight, in the care of their mother, with “additional reasonable access upon mutual consent.” [ 6 ] The older child excels at soccer but, as the judge noted, he had become “an indifferent participant in everything else” (para. 18).
The judge went on to observe that the father decided the older child “would have to demonstrate a marked change in his attitude or he would not be registered for the Winter Soccer program at his school.” As the older child’s behaviour/attitude apparently became worse rather than better, the father followed through on his threat, and the child was told he could not participate in the program.
Without the father’s knowledge, and contrary to the provisions of the Interim Order with respect to decision making, the mother paid the registration fee, which made the child’s participation possible. [ 7 ] An altercation between the children in the father’s home resulted in the older child abruptly returning to live with his mother in November 2018. That arrangement was ongoing at the time the appeal was heard.
In December 2018, the father filed a Motion to Vary the Interim Order, citing a material change in circumstances. [ 8 ] The subsequent hearing on the motion resulted in an Interim Variation Order, delivered at the end of January 2019 (but only executed on May 6, 2019). In it, the father was given sole custody of both children, although the Order acknowledged the older child was living with the mother.
Further restrictions were placed on the mother’s role in decision making and involvement in the older child’s activities (I note the older child was expressly permitted to continue participating in the winter soccer program). Access between the younger child and the mother also saw additional restrictions, flowing from concerns over the younger child’s safety when in the presence of her older sibling. Overnight access was terminated and replaced by supervised access for a few hours each week. Finally, and significantly, a Voice of the Child assessment was ordered.
The assessment was conducted and dated June 18, 2019. III. Issues and Analysis A. Grounds of appeal [ 9 ] The father contends the judge erred in two respects: 1) in failing to provide sufficient reasons for his decision, and 2) in coming to the determination the mother should have sole custody of the child in spite of there being insufficient or no evidence to support his findings. Respectfully, in my opinion, neither ground of appeal has merit.
A third allegation of error, relating to the rules of evidence with respect to admissibility and the credibility of witnesses, was withdrawn by counsel at the hearing of the appeal. B. Standard of review [ 10 ] Our role as an appellate court is not to re-try cases in the event one party or the other is dissatisfied with the outcome at the trial level. The scope for intervention is narrow and, as we have repeatedly pointed out, the decisions rendered by first instance judges in family matters are owed considerable deference.
We may step in when satisfied the decision being challenged on appeal is the product of an error of law, an error in principle, a significant misapprehension of the evidence, or if it is clearly wrong; otherwise, our intervention is unwarranted ( see Savoie v. Savoie , 2021 NBCA 20 ; Hubault Virgili v. Virgili , 2021 NBCA 7 , [2021] N.B.J. No. 23 (QL) ; J.B. v. T.M. , 2020 NBCA 82 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 320 (QL) ; J.D.F. v. J.L.F.-F. , 2020 NBCA 70 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 252 (QL) ).
C. Sufficiency of reasons [ 11 ] In N.A.T. v. S.A.T. , 2019 NBCA 87 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 368 (QL) , the Court considered the sufficiency of reasons as a ground of appeal (paras. 37-41).
As Baird J.A., writing for the Court, stated, “An appeal based on the insufficiency of reasons will succeed if there is no discernable path which permits for meaningful appellate review” (para. 40). [ 12 ] In this case, the judge correctly identified the legal framework he was required to apply in order to determine the issue of the younger child’s custody: [The child’s] custody will be dependent upon what the Court determines to be in her best interests.
New Brunswick has defined the “best interests of the child” in s. 1 of the Family Services Act and this provides the essential items that the Court must consider when looking at questions of custody. In addition to that definition, the Divorce Act , as it’s currently written, sets out in s. 16(10) , and I quote:
(10) In making an order under this section, the court shall give effect to the principle that a child of the marriage should have as much contact with each spouse as is consistent with the best interests of the child and, for that purpose, shall take into consideration the willingness of the person for whom custody is sought to facilitate such contact. This is a qualified right based upon the circumstances of the case but the intent is clear, children should have as much quality time with each parent as is possible in the circumstances between the parents and the child in the individual circumstances. [para. 78] [ 13 ]
Section 1 of the Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2 , provides the following definition of “best interests of the child”:
“best interests of the child” means the best interests of the child under the circumstances taking into consideration (
a) the mental, emotional and physical health of the child and his need for appropriate care or treatment, or both; (
b) the views and preferences of the child, where such views and preferences can be reasonably ascertained; (
c) the effect upon the child of any disruption of the child’s sense of continuity; (
d) the love, affection and ties that exist between the child and each person to whom the child’s custody is entrusted, each person to whom access to the child is granted and, where appropriate, each sibling of the child and, where appropriate, each grandparent of the child; (
e) the merits of any plan proposed by the Minister under which he would be caring for the child, in comparison with the merits of the child returning to or remaining with his parents; (
f) the need to provide a secure environment that would permit the child to become a useful and productive member of society through the achievement of his full potential according to his individual capacity; and (
g) the child’s cultural and religious heritage[.] « intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » désigne l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant dans les circonstances, compte tenu
a) de l’état de santé mentale, affective et physique de l’enfant et du besoin qu’il a de soins ou de traitements convenables, ou des deux;
b) des vues et préférences de l’enfant lorsqu’il est raisonnablement possible de les connaître;
c) de l’effet sur l’enfant de toute atteinte à la stabilité dont un enfant éprouve le besoin;
d) de l’amour, de l’affection et des liens qui existent entre l’enfant et chaque personne à la garde de qui il a été confié, chaque personne qui a obtenu le droit de lui rendre visite et, le cas échéant, chaque frère ou sœur de l’enfant et, le cas échéant, chaque grand-parent de l’enfant;
e) des avantages de tout projet de prise en charge de l’enfant par le ministre comparés à l’avantage pour l’enfant de retourner ou de rester auprès de ses parents;
f) du besoin pour l’enfant d’être en sécurité, dans un milieu qui lui permette de réaliser pleinement son potentiel, selon ses aptitudes personnelles et, ce faisant, de devenir membre utile et productif de la société; et
g) du patrimoine culturel et religieux de l’enfant[.] [ 14 ] The judge’s analysis was based on this framework, and he considered in turn the various components of “best interests of the child” as defined in the Family Services Act . I readily acknowledge the judge’s written reasons were not expansive, but that, in and of itself, does not invite appellate intervention. [ 15 ] On the issue of “the mental, emotional and physical health of the child,” the judge found the mother posed “no threat to her daughter” (para. 81).
With respect to the effect on the child of “any disruption of the child’s sense of continuity,” the judge determined that the child “remaining with her father would guarantee there would be no reconciliation” with the mother, while living with the mother “may result in a reestablishment of that portion of the family” that includes her older sibling (para. 84).
On “the need to provide a secure environment that would permit the child to become a useful and productive member of society,” the judge reflected on the type of living environment that existed in the father’s home and concluded, “I find it difficult to expect that in that kind of environment, she would be able to develop the kind of social skills that she needs on a go forward basis” (para. 89). [ 16 ] One of the more compelling pieces of evidence before the judge was the Voice of the Child assessment.
The judge correctly observed at paragraph 82 of his decision that, “The words of the children in the Voice of the Child are
not binding upon the Court. The question about views and preferences of the child where they can be ascertained is one factor amongst many.” I see no need to reproduce here the comments of the children; from my perspective, they were compelling and deserving of the weight attached to them by the judge. [ 17 ] At paragraph 95 of his decision, the judge states as follows: I am satisfied, the parent who exhibits the most maturity, is prepared to give the most priority to the children’s best interests and is the most positive with respect to the children and through their third party relationships, is [the mother].
It is on that basis that I conclude that [the child] should be transferred, and the custody should be transferred to her mother forthwith. [para. 95] [ 18 ] Counsel for the father points to this and other passages in the decision and asks, “How did we get here?” The father contends there is no discernable path of reasoning in the decision to justify such a conclusion and to make it possible: 1) for the father, as the unsuccessful party, to understand why he was unsuccessful; and 2) for the decision to be susceptible to meaningful appellate review. With respect, I cannot agree.
When I read paragraph 95 of the judge’s decision, I was not at all surprised. His disposition of the custody issue made perfect sense to me precisely because of what I had read in the preceding 94 paragraphs. The judge had more than adequately painted a clear picture of the factual background of the case, its progression through the judicial system, the applicable legal principles, and his analysis of the law as applied to these specific facts. Candidly, the only surprise for me would have been if the judge had reached the opposite conclusion.
From my perspective, his decision followed a logical path of reasoning which was supported by the evidence. I was unconvinced by the insufficiency of reasons ground of appeal. D. Sufficient evidence to support the judge’s findings on custody [ 19 ] The second ground of appeal is similar to the first. The father argues the judge erred in finding he bore primary responsibility for the conflict that existed between the parents, and that he had undermined the child’s access with the mother.
He contends the judge further erred in using these findings as the basis for awarding sole custody to the mother “without any, or […] insufficient evidence.” I cannot agree. [ 20 ] In my opinion, the evidence clearly provided the judge with the foundation to reach the conclusions he did.
The judge’s findings that the father “has exacerbated rather than reduced the stressors of the marriage breakdown” (para. 93), the mother was “being denied any access to the children wherever possible” (para. 81), and that the father “has consistently, where possible, attempted to block access” (para. 92) were all well supported by the evidence. [ 21 ] This matter serves to illustrate the differences between interim motions, and orders that flow from them, on the one hand and a decision rendered following a full trial on the other.
In the former, the resulting order is based primarily on affidavit evidence while, in the latter, the judge is provided with a much more complete understanding of the case: witnesses testify, their evidence is tested or challenged through cross-examination, and a fulsome picture emerges. On occasion, a judge’s understanding of a case shifts dramatically as a result of a trial, and that is what transpired here.
At paragraph 29 of the decision being challenged, the judge quoted from his earlier decision to vary the interim order, wherein he correctly observed “[t]he Court is aware it has not heard any viva voce testimony” and acknowledged “[t]he facts may prove to be significantly different after testimony.” [ 22 ] There is no question the decision to award the mother sole custody of the child represented a dramatic shift. The child had been living with the father, and for a time the mother enjoyed only supervised access.
However, in the circumstances of this case, I am more than satisfied the judge had a clear and legally sound basis for deciding as he did. Consequently, I was not persuaded the Court should disturb the custody order. IV. Conclusion [ 23 ] It was for the reasons set out above that I joined my colleagues in dismissing the appeal on May 13, 2021 and ordering that the father pay costs in the amount of $2,500.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE GREEN I. Introduction [1] Le père appelant et la mère intimée sont les parents d’une fille de 13 ans. À l’échec du mariage, ils n’ont pas pu s’entendre sur les arrangements de garde ni, notamment, sur le parent avec lequel l’enfant vivrait et de quelle façon seraient prises les décisions à son sujet. Après un procès qui a duré plusieurs jours, à l’automne 2019, un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a ordonné que la mère ait la garde exclusive de l’enfant et, par conséquent, le pouvoir de prendre des décisions finales à son égard.
Le père se pourvoit maintenant en appel. Le fils aîné des parties avait 16 ans à l’audition de l’appel; il est donc en âge de décider par lui-même avec qui il souhaite vivre et il a choisi de vivre avec sa mère. Sa garde n’était donc pas une question en litige en appel. [2] Nous avons rendu notre décision le 13 mai 2021 et avons rejeté l’appel du père, avec motifs à suivre. Les motifs qui suivent sont ceux pour lesquels je me suis associé à mes collègues pour arriver à cette conclusion. II. Contexte [3] Les parties se sont mariées en juin 2009 et se sont séparées en septembre 2017.
Le père a alors quitté le foyer matrimonial. Comme on l’a vu, les parties ont deux enfants à charge. L’aîné est l’enfant naturel de la mère, que le père appelant a adopté. La cadette, née en 2007, est l’enfant du couple. [4] En novembre 2017, la mère a déposé une requête en divorce, et le père a déposé sa réponse et demande reconventionnelle en février 2018. [5] Une ordonnance provisoire rendue en février 2018 accordait aux parents la garde conjointe des enfants, précisant que le père [TRADUCTION] « serait le pourvoyeur principal de soins et aurait le pouvoir de prendre les décisions quotidiennes » à leur égard.
Les deux parents devaient prendre ensemble les décisions les plus importantes, mais, en cas de désaccord, le père aurait le pouvoir de prendre les décisions définitives. Les enfants devaient passer une fin de semaine sur deux et la nuitée le mercredi avec leur mère, en plus de [TRADUCTION] « tout autre accès raisonnable convenu par les deux parties ». [6] L’aîné est un excellent joueur de soccer, mais, comme le juge l’a noté, il était devenu [TRADUCTION] « indifférent à toute autre chose » (par. 18).
Le juge a souligné à ce sujet que le père avait décidé que son fils [TRADUCTION] « ne pourrait s’inscrire au programme hivernal de soccer de son école à moins d’un changement d’attitude substantiel ». Le comportement ou l’attitude du garçon s’étant empiré plutôt qu’amélioré, semble-t-il, le père a mis en œuvre sa menace et interdit à son fils de participer au programme.
À son insu, et contrairement aux dispositions de l’ordonnance provisoire concernant le pouvoir de prendre des décisions, la mère a payé les droits d’inscription, permettant ainsi à son fils de prendre part au programme. [7] En novembre 2018, après une altercation avec la cadette à la résidence du père, l’aîné est subitement retourné vivre chez sa mère. C’est cet arrangement qui avait cours quand l’appel a été entendu.
En décembre 2018, le père a déposé une motion en modification de l’ordonnance provisoire, invoquant un changement de situation important. [8] L’audience sur la motion qui a suivi a mené au prononcé d’une ordonnance modificative provisoire à la fin de janvier 2019 (signée seulement le 6 mai 2019). Cette ordonnance donnait au père la garde exclusive des deux enfants, tout en reconnaissant que l’aîné vivait chez sa mère.
D’autres restrictions limitaient le rôle de la mère dans la prise de décisions et sa participation aux activités de l’aîné (je souligne que celui-ci a été expressément autorisé à poursuivre sa participation au programme hivernal de soccer). L’accès de la mère auprès de la cadette a également été limité étant donné l’inquiétude suscitée par la présence de
l’aîné auprès de la jeune fille. Celle-ci ne pouvait plus passer la nuit chez sa mère, l’accès devant désormais avoir lieu sous surveillance, quelques heures par semaine. Enfin, et surtout, le juge a ordonné une évaluation relative à la parole de l’enfant, qui a eu lieu le 18 juin 2019. III. Questions en litige et analyse A. Motifs d’appel [9] Le père soutient que le juge a commis deux erreurs : 1) il n’a pas suffisamment motivé sa décision, et 2) il a décidé que la mère devait avoir la garde exclusive de l’enfant, malgré l’insuffisance ou l’absence de preuve à l’appui de ses conclusions.
Avec égards, j’estime qu’aucun de ces moyens d’appel n’est fondé. À l’audition de l’appel, l’avocat a retiré une troisième allégation d’erreur, celle-ci concernant les règles de preuve en matière d’admissibilité et de crédibilité des témoins. B. Norme de contrôle [10] Le rôle d’une cour d’appel n’est pas d’instruire de nouveau l’affaire portée devant elle si l’une des parties est insatisfaite de l’issue en première instance.
L’ampleur de l’intervention possible est limitée et, comme nous l’avons souligné à maintes reprises, les décisions que rendent les juges de première instance en matière familiale commandent une grande retenue. Nous pouvons intervenir si nous sommes convaincus que la décision portée en appel est le produit d’une erreur de droit, d’une erreur de principe ou d’une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve, ou encore si la décision est manifestement erronée. Autrement, notre intervention n’est pas justifiée (voir Savoie c. Savoie , 2021 NBCA 20 ; Hubault Virgili c.
Virgili , 2021 NBCA 7 , [2021] A.N.-B. n o 23 (QL) ; J.B. c. T.M. , 2020 NBCA 82 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 320 (QL) ; J.D.F. c. J.L.F.-F. , 2020 NBCA 70 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 252 (QL) ). C. Suffisance des motifs [11] Dans l’arrêt N.A.T. c. S.A.T. , 2019 NBCA 87 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 368 (QL) , la Cour s’est penchée sur la suffisance des motifs comme moyen d’appel (par. 37 à 41).
Comme l’a écrit la juge d’appel Baird, s’exprimant au nom de la Cour : « Un appel fondé sur l’insuffisance des motifs sera accueilli s’il n’existe aucune trace visible permettant un examen valable en appel » (par. 40). [12] En l’espèce, le juge a correctement défini le cadre juridique qu’il devait appliquer avant de trancher la question de la garde de la plus jeune des enfants : [TRADUCTION] Les arrangements relatifs à la garde [de l’enfant] dépendent de ce que la Cour juge être dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant. Le Nouveau- Brunswick a défini le terme « intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » à l’ art. 1 de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , et cette définition établit les éléments essentiels que la Cour doit prendre en compte lorsqu’elle tranche des questions de garde. En outre, le par. 16(10) de la version actuelle de la
Loi sur le divorce dispose ce qui suit :
(10) En rendant une ordonnance conformément au présent article, le tribunal applique le principe selon lequel l’enfant à charge doit avoir avec chaque époux le plus de contact compatible avec son propre intérêt et, à cette fin, tient compte du fait que la personne pour qui la garde est demandée est disposée ou non à faciliter ce contact. Il s’agit d’un droit restreint qui est fonction des faits de l’espèce, mais l’intention est claire : l’enfant doit avoir autant de temps de qualité que possible avec chacun de ses parents dans une situation donnée. [par. 78] [13] L’article 1 de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, c. F-2.2, définit ainsi le terme
« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » : “best interests of the child” means the best interests of the child under the circumstances taking into consideration (
a) the mental, emotional and physical health of the child and his need for appropriate care or treatment, or both; (
b) the views and preferences of the child, where such views and preferences can be reasonably ascertained; (
c) the effect upon the child of any disruption of the child’s sense of continuity; (
d) the love, affection and ties that exist between the child and each person to whom the child’s custody is entrusted, each person to whom access to the child is granted and, where appropriate, each sibling of the child and, where appropriate, each grandparent of the child; (
e) the merits of any plan proposed by the Minister under which he would be caring for the child, in comparison with the merits of the child returning to or remaining with his parents; (
f) the need to provide a secure environment that would permit the child to become a useful and productive member of society through the achievement of his full potential according to his individual capacity; and (
g) the child’s cultural and religious heritage[.] « intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » désigne l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant dans les circonstances, compte tenu
a) de l’état de santé mentale, affective et physique de l’enfant et du besoin qu’il a de soins ou de traitements convenables, ou des deux;
b) des vues et préférences de l’enfant lorsqu’il est raisonnablement possible de les connaître;
c) de l’effet sur l’enfant de toute atteinte à la stabilité dont un enfant éprouve le besoin;
d) de l’amour, de l’affection et des liens qui existent entre l’enfant et chaque personne à la garde de qui il a été confié, chaque personne qui a obtenu le droit de lui rendre visite et, le cas échéant, chaque frère ou sœur de l’enfant et, le cas échéant, chaque grand-parent de l’enfant;
e) des avantages de tout projet de prise en charge de l’enfant par le ministre comparés à l’avantage pour l’enfant de retourner ou de rester auprès de ses parents;
f) du besoin pour l’enfant d’être en sécurité, dans un milieu qui lui permette de réaliser pleinement son potentiel, selon ses aptitudes personnelles et, ce faisant, de devenir membre utile et productif de la société; et
g) du patrimoine culturel et religieux de l’enfant [.] [14] C’est sur ce cadre juridique que le juge a fondé son analyse, prenant en compte, chacun à leur tour, les éléments de l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » tel que le définit la
Loi sur les services à la famille . Je reconnais d’emblée que les motifs écrits du juge sont succincts, mais cette brièveté ne justifie pas en soi l’intervention en appel. [15] Pour ce qui est de « l’état de santé mentale, affective et physique de l’enfant », le juge a conclu que la mère [TRADUCTION] « ne représentait pas une menace pour sa fille » (par. 81). Quant à « l’effet sur l’enfant de toute atteinte à la stabilité dont un enfant éprouve le besoin », il a déterminé que le fait pour l’enfant [TRADUCTION] « de demeurer avec son père empêcherait toute réconciliation » avec la mère, alors que le fait pour elle de demeurer avec sa mère [TRADUCTION] « pourrait rétablir la
partie de la famille » qui comprend le frère aîné (par. 84). En ce qui concerne le « besoin pour l’enfant d’être en sécurité [et] de devenir membre utile et productif de la société », le juge, tenant compte du milieu qu’offrait la résidence du père, a trouvé [TRADUCTION] « difficile de s’attendre à ce que, dans un tel milieu, l’enfant puisse développer le type d’aptitudes sociales dont elle a
besoin pour l’avenir » (par. 89). [16] L’évaluation relative à la parole de l’enfant est l’un des éléments de preuve les plus convaincants dont disposait le juge. Au paragraphe 82 de la décision, le juge indique, à juste
titre : [TRADUCTION] « La Cour n’est pas liée par les mots que prononce l’enfant dans [l’évaluation de] la parole de l’enfant. Les vues et les préférences de l’enfant, si tant est qu’elles puissent être déterminées avec certitude, ne sont qu’un facteur parmi de nombreux autres. » Je ne vois pas la nécessité de reproduire ici les propos des enfants.
À mon avis, ils étaient convaincants et méritaient le poids que le juge leur a attribué. [17] Au paragraphe 95 de sa décision, le juge a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Je suis convaincu que le parent qui montre le plus de maturité, qui est le mieux disposé à privilégier l’intérêt supérieur des enfants et le mieux disposé à l’égard des enfants et de leurs relations avec des tiers, c’est [la mère].
Cela étant, je conclus que [l’enfant] et la garde de l’enfant doivent être transférés sur-le-champ à la mère. [par. 95] [18] Soulignant ce passage de la décision et d’autres, l’avocat du père demande : [TRADUCTION] « Comment en sommes-nous arrivés là? » Selon le père, il est impossible de discerner dans les motifs de la décision le cheminement qui justifierait cette conclusion et permettrait 1) au père, à
titre de
partie perdante, de comprendre pourquoi il a été débouté; et 2) un examen valable de la décision en appel. Avec égards, je ne peux souscrire à cette prétention.
Le paragraphe 95 de la décision du juge de première instance ne m’a pas du tout surpris. Son traitement de la question de la garde me paraît tout à fait logique au vu, justement, de ce que j’ai lu dans les 94 paragraphes précédents. Le juge a brossé de manière plus qu’adéquate un portrait clair des faits de l’espèce, du cheminement de l’affaire dans le système judiciaire, des principes juridiques applicables et de son analyse de l’application du droit à ces faits particuliers. En toute franchise, j’aurais été surpris seulement si le juge était arrivé à la conclusion opposée.
À mon avis, son raisonnement est logique et bien étayé par la preuve. L’insuffisance des motifs comme moyen d’appel ne me convainc pas. D. Suffisance de la preuve fondant les conclusions du juge sur la question de la garde [19] Le deuxième moyen d’appel est semblable au premier : le père soutient que le juge n’était pas fondé à conclure qu’il a été le principal responsable du conflit parental et qu’il a nui à l’accès de l’enfant auprès de sa mère.
Il affirme par ailleurs que le juge a commis une erreur en se fondant sur ces conclusions pour accorder la garde exclusive à la mère [TRADUCTION] « sans aucune preuve [ou sur la foi de] preuve insuffisante ». Je ne peux pas souscrire à cette prétention. [20] À mon avis, le juge disposait d’une preuve amplement suffisante pour étayer les conclusions auxquelles il est arrivé.
Ses conclusions, à savoir, que le père [TRADUCTION] « a exacerbé au lieu d’atténuer les facteurs de stress liés à l’échec du mariage » (par. 93), que la mère [TRADUCTION] « se voyait refuser le moindre accès aux enfants chaque fois que possible » (par. 81), et que le père [TRADUCTION] « a, chaque fois qu’il en a eu la possibilité, tenté d’empêcher l’accès » (par. 92), sont toutes bien étayées par la preuve. [21] Cette affaire exemplifie les différences entre, d’une part, une motion provisoire et l’ordonnance qui en découle, et, d’autre part, une décision rendue à l’issue d’un procès en bonne et due forme.
Dans le premier cas, l’ordonnance repose essentiellement sur de la preuve par affidavit. Dans le second, le juge dispose de ce qu’il faut pour mieux comprendre l’affaire : des témoignages éventuellement mis à l’épreuve, voire contestés en contre-interrogatoire, qui débouchent sur un portrait assez exhaustif. Il arrive donc que le juge change complètement d’idée au fil du procès. C’est ce qui s’est produit en l’espèce.
Au paragraphe 29 de la décision contestée, le juge renvoie à sa décision antérieure, par laquelle il a modifié l’ordonnance provisoire, où il souligne, à juste titre, que [TRADUCTION] « [l]a Cour est consciente qu’elle n’a entendu aucun témoignage de vive voix » et que [TRADUCTION] « [l]es faits peuvent apparaître substantiellement différents après audition des témoignages ». [22] La décision d’accorder à la mère la garde exclusive de l’enfant constitue indubitablement un changement radical. Jusque-là, en effet, l’enfant avait vécu avec son père, et la mère ne bénéficiait que d’un accès sous surveillance.
Dans les circonstances de l’espèce, pourtant, je suis absolument convaincu que le juge était manifestement et juridiquement fondé à rendre la décision qu’il a rendue. L’appelant ne m’a donc pas persuadé que la Cour devrait modifier l’ordonnance de garde. IV. Conclusion
[23] Les motifs qui précèdent sont ceux pour lesquels je me suis associé à mes collègues pour rejeter l’appel le 13 mai 2021 et ordonner au père de payer des dépens de 2 500 $.