2023 NBCA 110, 2023 NBCA 110
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 23-23-CA PURRESTORE MANAGEMENT SERVICESINC., GORDON GAMBLE AND JASON REIS APPELLANTS PURRESTORE MANAGEMENT SERVICESINC., GORDON GAMBLE ET JASON REIS APPELANTS- and - - et - REMI DOIRON AND MICHELLE DOIRON RESPONDENTS REMI DOIRON ET MICHELLE DOIRON INTIMÉS Purrestore Management Services Inc., GordonGamble and Jason Reis v. Doiron,2023 NBCA 110 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond Purrestore Management Services Inc., GordonGamble et Jason Reis c.
Doiron, 2023 NBCA 110 CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of King’sBench: March 31, 2023 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc du Roi : le 31 mars 2023 History of Case: Historique de la cause :Decision under appeal: 2023 NBBR 52 , 2023 NBKB 52 Décision frappée d’appel : 2023 NBBR 52 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: [2023] N.B.J.
No. 94 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : [2023] A.N.-B. no 94 Appeal heard: September 19, 2023 Appel entendu : le 19 septembre 2023 Judgment rendered: December 21, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 21 décembre 2023
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Christopher Horkins and Tara M. McIntyre For the respondents: Yanis Khiari and Vincent Tremblay Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : Christopher Horkins et Tara M. McIntyre Pour les intimés : Yanis Khiari et Vincent Tremblay THE COURT [ 1 ] The appeal is dismissed with costs of $5,000 payable to the respondents.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté et des dépens de 5 000 $ sont adjugés aux intimés. The judgment of the Court was delivered by: FRENCH, J.A. I.
Introduction [1] The arbitration clause in a franchise agreement provides that, if an arbitration award r equires either the franchisor or the franchisee to pay more than $100,000, they have “ the right to a de novo action on the merits by a court of competent jurisdiction.” [ 2 ] The parties’ intent respecting this provision is not disputed on appeal; it reflects their agreement to confer a right to displace an arbitral award of over $100,000 with an adjudication of the underlying dispute by an action in the Court of King’s Bench.
The issue is whether this contractual right is rendered unenforceable for being incompatible with those provisions of the Arbitration Act , R.S.N.B. 2014, c. 100 , that are mandatory, in the sense that they cannot be varied or excluded by parties to an agreement to arbitrate. [ 3 ] Purrestore Management Services Inc., the franchisor and one of the appellants, obtained an arbitral award against the franchisees, Remi Doiron and Michelle Doiron, of over $200,000, plus costs of almost $185,000.
[ 4 ] The Doirons applied to the Court of King’s Bench seeking confirmation that they have the right to a de novo action. Purrestore maintained the contractual provision is unenforceable and, pursuant to s. 50(3) of the Act , requested the court give a judgment enforcing the arbitral award. [ 5 ] The application judge affirmed the Doirons’ right to a de novo action, stayed the arbitral award, and denied Purrestore ’s request for a judgment on the award. I would dismiss Purrestore ’s appeal of this decision for the reasons that follow. II.
Context [ 6 ] In 2013, “PurRestore,” carrying on business as “PuroClean,” entered into a 10-year Franchise Agreement with Mr. Doiron and Armand Melanson. By 2016, Mr. Melanson withdrew from the business and Mr. Doiron’s sister, Michelle Doiron, became a franchisee. The franchised business includes casualty restoration, contracting, drying, cleaning, and purification services. [ 7 ] In April 2020, Purrestore terminated the Franchise Agreement following a dispute related to its request for an audit of the Doirons’ business. [ 8 ] Mr. and Ms. Doiron commenced a competing business under the name Claim Restore.
Additionally, on April 24, 2020, Mr. Doiron filed a Notice of Action with Statement of Claim Attached against Purrestore , as well as Gordon Gamble and Jason Reis, Purrestore ’s President and Chief Executive Officer, respectively.
The action claimed breach of contract, breach of the duty of good faith, frustration of the Franchise Agreement, misrepresentation, and interference with economic relations. [ 9 ] On June 16, 2020, Purrestore delivered a Notice of Arbitration, which claimed a declaration that the Franchise Agreement was validly terminated, damages arising from the early termination of the agreement, and a permanent injunction restraining the Doirons from operating their competing business, among other things. [ 10 ] In September 2020, Purrestore filed a Notice of Application seeking an order appointing an arbitrator and staying Mr.
Doiron’s action. [ 11 ] In April 2021, on the consent of the parties, a judge confirmed the appointment of an arbitrator chosen by the parties, pursuant to s. 10 of the Act , and stayed Mr. Doiron’s action, pursuant to s. 7. [ 12 ] In July 2021, the Doirons delivered a Response to Purrestore ’s Notice of Arbitration and, in the arbitration that followed, the parties treated the action filed by Mr.
Doiron in April 2020 as a counterclaim against Purrestore . [ 13 ] In August 2021, the parties executed a Protocol of Arbitration, which expanded on the arbitration clause in the Franchise Agreement by addressing procedural matters relating to the pending arbitration, among other matters.
Thus, both the Agreement and Protocol apply. [ 14 ] The arbitration clause in the Franchise Agreement provides: 17.2 Except as qualified in 17.1 and 17.3, the parties hereby agree that any and all disputes and claims arising out of (either directly or indirectly) or related to the Franchise Business, this Agreement or related agreement(s), including breach thereof and including any alleged violation of law shall be submitted to binding arbitration under the arbitration statute of the province in which the Franchised Business will be operated and any such arbitration shall be conducted in accordance with that province’s arbitration act (the “ Arbitration Act ”).
Subject to the Arbitration Act , and to the extent applicable thereunder, the following shall apply : 17.2.1 Any arbitration must be resolved on an individual basis only and not joined as part of a class action or the claim of other franchisees. The dispute shall be heard by a panel of three (3) independent arbitrators. If, however, the respondent fails to answer the claim on a timely basis, fails to pay the required fees and expenses, or fails to make a counter-claim, the claimant may opt to reduce the
number of arbitrators to one, to be selected by the chosen arbitration organization. Each arbitrator must have at least 10 years of franchise experience. Franchisee and Franchisor each waive their rights to seek punitive damages and the arbitrators are prohibited from awarding punitive damages. Franchisor and Franchisee each waive the right to a jury trial. Franchisee and Franchisor shall share equally all fees and expenses of the arbitrators.
Arbitration shall take place in the city chosen by Franchisor in the province in which the Franchised Business Office is located. 17.2.2 The decision of the Arbitrators may be filed as a judgment in any court of competent jurisdiction and will be binding in any other jurisdiction .
If the arbitration award exceeds $100,000, the party required to pay such judgment shall have the right to a de novo action on the merits by a court of competent jurisdiction in Toronto, Ontario, unless the law of the province in which the Franchised Business shall be operated requires that payment of any judgment shall take place within that province, before the arbitrator’s award is filed. 17.2.3 Any arbitration proceeding, or any claim in arbitration (including any defence and any claim of setoff or recoupment), must be brought or asserted before the expiration of the earlier of […]. [Emphasis added] [ 15 ] The clause in the Protocol of Arbitration relating to arbitration awards, and the parties’ rights to both appeal and/or commence a de novo action, provides: 5.1 The Arbitrator will ensure that the arbitration process is conducted in the most expeditious manner with the least formality possible, while ensuring that each Party is able to exercise its rights, introduce its evidence and make its arguments.
Subject to the provisions of
article 6 below, the Arbitrator will render a signed decision in writing with reasons within sixty (60) days of the end of the hearing […]. 5.2 In the event that the Parties settle the Dispute before the arbitral award has been made, the Arbitrator may incorporate such agreement into an arbitral award, at the written request of one of the Parties. 5.3 The arbitral award will state the date on which and the place at which it was made.
It will be deemed to have been made on that date and at that place. 5.4 The award will be binding on the Parties from the time when the Arbitrator serves a signed copy of it on them in accordance with paragraph 8.2 below. 5.5 The Parties may appeal the arbitral award to the court in accordance with
section 45 of the N. B Arbitration Act. 5.6 In the event that the arbitral award exceeds $100.000.00. the party required to pay such judgment reserves the right to commence a de novo action in the courts of the Province of New Brunswick as per sec. 17.2.2 of the Franchise Agreement and as per sec. 11 of the Franchises Act. 5.7 It is the responsibility of the Parties to seek homologation and to enforce any arbitral award. [Emphasis added] [ 16 ] The arbitrator rendered two decisions.
The first, dated August 24, 2022, declared the Franchise Agreement to have been validly terminated by Purrestore , issued a permanent injunction restraining the Doirons from using Purrestore ’s confidential information (among other things), ordered they pay Purrestore over $200,000 for unpaid royalties and damages, and ordered that an audit of the Doirons’ franchise operation take place within six months.
The arbitrator dismissed the other relief sought by Purrestore , including its request for an injunction restraining the Doirons from operating a competing business, and he dismissed the Doirons’ Counterclaim. [ 17 ] In his second decision, dated October 11, 2022, the arbitrator awarded Purrestore costs on a partial indemnity basis (at the rate of 50% of the costs claimed by Purrestore ), which he fixed at $184,129.30, inclusive of HST.
[ 18 ] On September 22, 2022, prior to the costs award, the Doirons filed a Notice of Application in the Court of King’s Bench seeking confirmation that they were entitled to a de novo action since the award against them exceeded $100,000 . They also requested a stay of the arbitral awards and the removal of Gordon Gamble and Jason Reis as parties to the action they sought to advance in the Court of King’s Bench. [ 19 ] Purrestore objected to the Doirons’ application, and, on November 11, 2022, it filed a Notice of Application requesting a judgment enforcing the arbitral awards.
Its application also requested an order granting an appeal of the arbitrator’s dismissal of its claim for an injunction restraining the Doirons under the non-competition and non-solicitation provisions of the Franchise Agreement. [ 20 ] The applications filed by the Doirons and Purrestore were heard at the same time. The judge decided the Franchise Agreement conferred the right to a de novo action, when an award exceeds $100,000, and the Doirons were entitled to proceed accordingly.
He stated: By having this disposition in the documents signed by both parties, can it be clearer that the parties intended and are entitled to a de novo action pursuant to
section 17.2.2 of the Franchise Agreement and confirmed in
section 5.6 of the Protocol of Arbitration? To ask the question is to answer it! [para. 21] [ 21 ] As to Purrestore ’s contention that the Act precluded the parties from contracting for such a right, the judge explained: “ There can’t be a limit to these two clauses in the Franchise Agreement [and] the Protocol for Arbitration because of the provisions of the Arbitration Act .
The parties did proceed with the arbitration first as they had intended.” He concluded the right “is not incompatible with the mandatory scheme for remedies against arbitral awards under the Arbitration Act ,” as Purrestore had argued: This is not an appeal from an arbitration award where a court must determine the reasonableness of the arbitrator’s decision. The de novo action has nothing to do with the arbitrator’s decision other than meeting the conditions of when a party is entitled to a de novo action, such as in this case.
While the Protocol of Arbitration did provide for the parties’ right to an appeal of the arbitration award to the court, it also provided “[i]n the event that the arbitral award exceeds $100,000.00, the party required to pay such judgment reserves the right to commence a de novo action in the courts of the Province of New Brunswick”. To conclude otherwise would be a breach of what the parties intended when they executed the Franchise Agreement and later confirmed in the Protocol of Arbitration. The Doirons are entitled to their action in our court and by so doing this renders the arbitral award moot.
By reopening the litigation, it is a second attempt to resolve the issues between the parties. A new trial, as in this case, makes the Arbitral Award unenforceable and unappealable under the circumstances . Whether a party wants to appeal is no longer an issue when a party decides to exercise its right to a de novo action.
The Arbitral Award is consequently stayed. [Emphasis added; paras. 34-37] [ 22 ] Additionally, with the parties’ consent, the application judge removed Gordon Gamble and Jason Reis as parties to the application filed by the Doirons; however, they do not appear to have been removed from the application they filed in November 2022, as co-applicants with Purrestore , requesting a judgment to enforce the awards. While their interest is unknown, nothing turns on this. III.
Grounds of Appeal [ 23 ] Purrestore ’s grounds of appeal contend the judge erred by: 1. declining to enforce the Award pursuant to section 50(1) of the Act in circumstances where the Act renders the enforcement of an
arbitral award mandatory and does not confer any discretion for the court to deny enforcement; 2. ordering a remedy (namely, a permanent stay of the Award and a “trial de novo ” in the Court of King’s Bench) which is outside of and not permitted by the mandatory scheme of the Act with respect to remedies against arbitral awards, thereby impermissibly giving effect to the purported contracting out of various mandatory provisions of the Arbitration Act (specifically, sections 45(1) , 46 , 48 , and 50 ) which cannot be contracted out of, pursuant to
section 3 of the Act; 3. failing to apply section 5(4) of the Act despite interpreting the arbitration provisions at issue as requiring that certain disputes be adjudicated by arbitration as a precondition to being dealt with by the courts (i.e. a “ Scott v Avery ” clause).
Section 5(4) of the Act , which cannot be contracted out of, requires that any such provision be given “the same effect as an arbitration agreement” which the learned Applications Judge failed to do; and 4. finding that the arbitration provisions at issue were not “subject to” the Act , that their application was not limited “to the extent applicable thereunder”, and otherwise ignoring the clear and unambiguous language of the Franchise Agreement and Protocol which give primacy to the mandatory provisions of the Act , thereby failing to interpret the contract as a whole. [ 24 ] In my view, little need be said about Purrestore ’s third ground of appeal.
Section 5(4) provides that any “ agreement requiring or having the effect of requiring that a matter be adjudicated by arbitration before it may be dealt with by a court has the same effect as an arbitration agreement.” The arbitration provisions in the Franchise Agreement were recognized by the parties and judge as an arbitration agreement . It is not otherwise apparent how the judge failed to apply this provision.
I would dismiss this ground of appeal. [ 25 ] The first and second of Purrestore ’s grounds of appeal rest upon its assertion that a contractual right to a de novo action is incompatible with the “mandatory scheme” of the Act . Additionally, the fourth ground, which contends the judge failed to recognize the Franchise Agreement and Protocol expressly state they are “subject to” the Act , also relates to this assertion. As a result, I will address these three grounds together. IV.
Analysis [ 26 ] Purrestore maintains the parties’ agreement for the right to a trial de novo “is outside of and not permitted by the mandatory scheme of the Act with respect to remedies against arbitral awards .” It submits this scheme is comprised of the statutory: 1. “ remedies” to an arbitral award , which are to:
a) appeal the award, pursuant to s. 45;
b) have the award set aside, pursuant to s. 46, based on circumstances related largely to the arbitration proceeding, not the merits of the award; and
c) have the arbitration declared invalid, pursuant to s. 48, on the application of a party that did not participate and based on circumstances related to the validity of the arbitration; and 2. right to have a court give judgment to enforce the award , pursuant to s. 50, unless the award is subject to being set aside, under ss. 45 or 46, or the arbitration is declared invalid, under s. 48. [ 27 ] The Doirons dispute this characterization of these provisions of the Act .
Further, they maintain that an implicit element of their contractual right to a de novo action is an agreement that an exercise of that right renders an award not binding and unenforceable. Although s. 37 of the Act provides that “[a]n award binds the parties, unless it is set aside or varied under
section 45 or 46,” the parties to an arbitration are free to vary or exclude the application of s.
Section 3 provides that parties to an arbitration
agreement can vary or exclude the provisions of the Act with the exception of certain, enumerated sections. Since s. 37 is not one of the enumerated provisions, it may be varied or excluded by the parties. [ 28 ] I n essence, Purrestore contends the application judge erred by failing to conclude the Act prohibits the parties from agreeing an arbitral award is not binding or is unenforceable.
Conversely, it submits he erred by failing to determine that, after the arbitral awards were made, he was required to grant judgment under s. 50, since there was no proceeding to set aside the award, under s. 45 or 46, or have the arbitration declared invalid, under s. 48, none of which can be varied or excluded by agreement. A. The Act [ 29 ] Important context to the
interpretation of the provisions at issue is the consensual nature of arbitration and the extent to which this is reflected in current arbitration legislation in Canada, including the Act . Speaking to the significance of agreements to arbitrate, Professor J. Brian Casey , in Arbitration Law of Canada: Practice and Procedure , 3rd ed. (Huntington, NY: Juris, 2017), stated: The essence of arbitration is that it is consensual.
In order to oust the jurisdiction of the court to hear and decide disputes, a party must be able to point to an enforceable agreement wherein the parties to the dispute have agreed to submit to another forum. If the parties have agreed to arbitrate using a broadly worded agreement then, under the theory that the parties have full autonomy to craft their own dispute resolution mechanism, all claims, whether sounding in contract, tort, equity or statute may be arbitrated.
The arbitrators take their jurisdiction from the agreement of the parties to resolve their dispute using a third party, not from any State’s legislation, although legislation at the place of arbitration may take away or limit that jurisdiction. In essence, if two parties have the right to settle a legal dispute as between them, they have the right to ask a third party to do it for them. In Canada, this has been clearly set out by the Supreme Court of Canada in a number of decisions. In Dell Computer Corp. v.
Union des consommateurs , Deschamps J., writing for the majority, noted that “[a]rbitration is part of no state’s judicial system” and “owes its existence to the will of the parties alone.” See also Desputeaux v. Éditions Chouette
(1987) Inc ., in which LeBel J., for the Court, wrote, “[i]n general, arbitration is not part of the state’s judicial system, although the state sometimes assigns powers or functions directly to the arbitrators.” [Emphasis added; footnotes omitted; p. 51] [ 30 ] Early Canadian legislation respecting arbitration was modelled on the English Arbitration Act 1889 (U.K.), 52 & 53 Vict., c. 49.
The current legislation derives from the international convention on arbitration that was adopted in the late 1950s at a United Nations conference (known as the New York Convention), which was followed in 1985 by the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law , UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration , U.N. Doc. A/40/17, Ann. I, June 21, 1985. [ 31 ] The Model Law has been adopted by the federal government and the provinces for international arbitrations (in New Brunswick: International Commercial Arbitration Act , S.N.B. 1986, c.
I-12.2 ; replaced by R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 176 ). [ 32 ] Additionally, most provincial legislatures have used the Model Law as the basis for their current domestic arbitration legislation. New Brunswick was one of the provinces that did so, and the Act has been in force since 2015.
Naturally, to the extent the provisions mirror those in the Model Law, this has a bearing on the search for legislative intent. [ 33 ] Consistent with the Model Law, such domestic arbitration legislation gives effect to the consensual nature of arbitration for dispute resolution by permitting parties to “vary or exclude” its provisions, with the exception of certain sections, which are clearly identified. The approach is captured in s. 3 of the Act :
Contracting out 3 The parties to an arbitration agreement may agree, expressly or by implication, to vary or exclude any provision of this Act except the following: (a) subsection 5(4); (
b) section 19; (
c) section 39; (d) subsection 45(1); (
e) section 46; (
f) section 48; and (
g) section 50. Exclusion de dispositions 3 Les parties à la convention d’arbitrage peuvent convenir, expressément ou implicitement, de modifier ou d’exclure toute disposition de la présente loi, à l’exception :
a) du paragraphe 5(4);
b) de l’article 19;
c) de l’article 39;
d) du paragraphe 45(1);
e) de l’article 46;
f) de l’article 48;
g) de l’article 50. [ 34 ] Thus, the parties may agree to vary or exclude any provision except the following, which I have summarized, albeit very simply (they are reproduced in the attached Appendix): 1. s. 5(4) : an agreement that requires a matter be adjudicated by arbitration (before it may be dealt with by a court) has the same effect as an arbitration agreement (a Scott v.
Avery clause); 2. s. 19 : the parties to an arbitration shall be treated equally and fairly; 3. s. 39 : a court may extend the time for an arbitrator to make an award; 4. s. 45(1) : a party may appeal an award to the court (King’s Bench) on a question of law with leave, which the court shall grant only if it is satisfied (
i) the importance justifies an appeal, and (ii) the determination of the question of law will significantly affect the parties’ rights; 5. s. 46 : a court may set aside an award; 6. s. 48 : a court may declare an arbitration is invalid; and 7. s. 50 : a court shall give a judgment enforcing an award. [ 35 ] While the domestic arbitration legislation of other provinces contains a similar provision, there is variation in relation to how the provincial legislatures have chosen to address appeals of arbitration awards and some permit parties to vary or
exclude the statutory appeal provisions. [ 36 ] In fact, domestic arbitration legislation varies considerably from international arbitration legislation which adopts the Model Law. Since the appeal provision under s. 45(1) of the Act is part of what Purrestore describes as the “mandatory scheme” of remedies to arbitral awards, this bears additional comment. [ 37 ] The Model Law does not confer a right of appeal. In international arbitrations, a common objective is to avoid the dispute from being determined in the local court, or the court of any of the parties, including on appeal.
Although initially, some courts in the United States concluded that the absence of a right of appeal under the federal Arbitration Act did not preclude arbitrating parties from agreeing that there would be a right to appeal an arbitral award, by 2008, the United States Supreme Court determined that the legislation provided the sole basis for review and parties cannot expand that jurisdiction (see Hall Street Associates, L.L.C. v. Mattel, Inc ., 552 U.S. 576 (2008)). [ 38 ] The legislative intent under provincial domestic arbitration legislation reflects a clearly different approach to appeals.
The Act confers a right to appeal an arbitral award on a question of law, with leave of the court (in s. 45(1)).
Section 3(
d) prohibits parties to an arbitration agreement from varying or excluding this right. Sections 45(2) and (3) permit an agreement to provide for more expansive rights of appeal. Essentially, parties have a statutory right of appeal, albeit limited in scope, which they cannot avoid by contract, but they can agree to expand those rights. The New Brunswick approach is similar to that taken in the domestic arbitration legislation of Alberta and Manitoba.
The legislation of Nova Scotia confers a more expansive right to appeal an arbitral award, which similarly cannot be varied or excluded by contract. [ 39 ] Reflecting a different intent, the legislation of Ontario and Saskatchewan permits parties to an arbitration to vary or exclude the statutory right of appeal.
In British Columbia, certain provisions are deemed to be part of an arbitration agreement unless the parties agree otherwise. [ 40 ] In sum, the legislative intent of the appeal provisions in domestic arbitration legislation depends entirely on the legislation, not the Model Law and related jurisprudence. In this regard, the intent of the Act is clear: to confer, regardless of any agreement between the parties, a right to appeal an award on a question of law with leave of the Court of King’s Bench . This is a minimum requirement, and parties can agree to more expansive rights of appeal.
Additionally, since s. 45(2) and (3) are not exceptions to s. 3, they may be varied or excluded by the parties. Whether this would permit the parties to agree to an appeal by trial de novo , similar to the regulations under the Small Claims Act , S.N.B. 2012, c. 15 (or s. 822(4) of the Criminal Code ) , is not an issue in this case. B. The R ight to a De Novo Action on the Merits [ 41 ] It is helpful to closely review the basis for the application judge’s determination that the exercise of the right to a de novo action resulted in the arbitral awards not being binding and enforceable.
It derives from the nature of the parties’ agreement, and I reproduce, again, the relevant portion of the Franchise Agreement: 17.2.2 The decision of the Arbitrators may be filed as a judgment in any court of competent jurisdiction and will be binding in any other jurisdiction. If the arbitration award exceeds $100,000, the party required to pay such judgment shall have the right to a de novo action on the merits by a court of competent jurisdiction […]. [Emphasis added] [ 42 ] Similarly, while the Protocol provides that an award is binding, that
article is followed by two distinct articles that provide for limits to the award being binding. The first recognizes the parties’ right to “appeal the arbitral award to the court in accordance with
section 45.” The second reserves the right to “ commence a de novo action in the courts of the Province of New Brunswick”: 5.4 The award will be binding on the Parties from the time when the Arbitrator serves a signed copy of it on them in accordance with paragraph 8.2 below. 5.5 The Parties may appeal the arbitral award to the court in accordance with
section 45 of the N. B. Arbitration Act.
5.6 In the event that the arbitral award exceeds $100.000.00, the party required to pay such judgment reserves the right tocommence a de novo action in the courts of the Province of New Brunswick as per sec. 17.2.2 of the Franchise Agreement and asper sec. 11 of the Franchises Act. [Emphasis added] [43] Additionally,
Article 3.2 of the Protocol treats the right of appeal, “in accordance with s. 45” of the Act, asdistinct from the right to a de novo action: This Protocol of Arbitration governs the arbitration process in respect of the Dispute, but does not in any way govern the rights,obligations and other remedies of the Parties, or of any of them, under the Agreements.
For more clarity, paragraph 20.1 of each of theAgreements remains in full force and effect and is not cancelled, replaced or modified by this Protocol of Arbitration and any appeal ortrial de novo of the Dispute, to the extent permitted by the Agreements and/or the Arbitration Act, shall be brought in the NewBrunswick Court of Queen’s Bench. [Emphasis added] [44] Thus, while Purrestore may describe such language as the Doirons’, and presumably its own, efforts to do anend run around what it describes as the “mandatory scheme of remedies” to an award, their agreement reflects a clear difference betweenthe parties’ rights in response to an arbitral award: an appeal of the award regardless of the amount or nature of the award, pursuant to s.45(1) [there was no agreement to expanded rights of appeal], and a separate right to a de novo action if an award exceeds $100,000.
Thelatter implicitly reflects an agreement that, if this right is exercised, the award is not binding and enforceable. [45] When considered in light of the Act permitting arbitrating parties to vary or exclude s. 37, which provides that“an award binds the parties, unless it is set aside or varied under
section 45 or 46,” the application judge’s determination that the awardwas not binding is sound.
While Purrestore objects to the judge calling the award moot, on the basis that the Doirons exercised the rightto a de novo action, there can be no mistaking his reasoning when he explains that a “new trial, as in this case, makes the Arbitral Awardunenforceable and unappealable […].” [46] In my opinion, the logic of this determination is not diminished by Purrestore’s contention that it isincompatible with the mandatory scheme of remedies to arbitral awards under the Act. [47] As noted, of the appeal provisions, only the right to appeal with leave under s. 45(1) is “mandatory,” whereasthe parties’ right to provide for expanded rights of appeal under s. 45(2) and (3) may be varied by the parties.
It is difficult to appreciatehow the parties’ agreement to a de novo action, or any variation of the generally binding effect of an award, under s. 37, would beinconsistent with s. 45(1). [48] Additionally, while Purrestore emphasizes the facially mandatory language of s. 50(3), which requires a courtto give a judgment based on an award in the prescribed circumstances, the provision begins with: “A person who is entitled toenforcement of an award” may apply (s. 50(1)).
Undoubtedly, this refers to the applicant meeting the criteria set out in ss. 50(1) to (8);however, read in the context of the Act as a whole, it must also require the applicant to have a binding award consistent with s. 37. [49] The cases cited by Purrestore in support of the mandatory requirement to issue judgment under s. 50, unlessthere is an appeal of an award or an application to set aside an award or for a declaration of invalidity, are all distinguishable (see2101516 Ontario Inc. et al v. Radisson Hotels Canada Inc., 2019 ONSC 3302, [2019] O.J.
No. 2881 (QL); Rodd and Farquharson v.Peterborough Police Services Board, 2015 ONSC 6355, [2015] O.J. No. 5324 (QL); Fuhr Estate v. Husky Oil Marketing Company,2010 ABQB 495, [2010] A.J. No. 884 (QL); Flood v. Dale, 2020 MBQB 64, [2020] M.J. No. 92 (QL); N.M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. v. A& B Rail Contractors Ltd., (SK KB), [1997] S.J. No. 294 (QL)).
In none of those cases was there an explicit orimplicit agreement between the parties to the effect that the award was not binding or that involved provisions similar to s. 37. [50] Lastly, there is no merit to Purrestore’s assertion that the application judge misapprehended or misinterpretedthe provision in the Franchise Agreement and Protocol that provided their terms, including the right to a de novo action, were subject tothe Act.
The application judge decided that the right to a de novo action was not incompatible with the mandatory provisions of the Act. [51] The reasons both parties considered the right to a de novo action to be acceptable (where an award of more than$100,000 is made), regardless of the time and expense of an arbitration, are unknown; however, arguments of commercial efficacy arenot a basis for undoing their agreement.
[ 52 ] In sum, the application judge did not err in concluding the right to a de novo action was not inconsistent with the mandatory provisions of the Act , nor did he err in rejecting Purrestore ’s application for judgment under s. 50 . V. Disposition [ 53 ] For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $5,000. APPENDIX A /
ANNEXE A Arbitration Act , R.S.N.B. 2014, c. 100 . Arbitration agreement 5
(4) An agreement requiring or having the effect of requiring that a matter be adjudicated by arbitration before it may be dealt with by a court has the same effect as an arbitration agreement. Equality and fairness in conduct of arbitration 19
(1) In an arbitration, the parties shall be treated equally and fairly. 19
(2) Each party shall be given an opportunity to present a case and to respond to the other parties’ cases. Extension of time limits 39 The court may extend the time within which the arbitral tribunal is required to make an award, even if the time has expired.
Loi sur l’arbitrage , L.R.N.-B. 2014, ch. 100. Convention d’arbitrage 5
(4) Produit le même effet qu’une convention d’arbitrage la convention qui exige ou qui a pour effet d’exiger qu’une question soit d’abord tranchée par voie d’arbitrage avant de pouvoir être examinée par la cour. Égalité et équité 19
(1) À l’arbitrage, les parties sont traitées de façon équitable et juste. 19
(2) Chaque
partie jouit de l’occasion qui lui est apportée d’énoncer ses prétentions et de répondre à celles des autres parties. Prorogation des délais 39 La cour peut proroger le délai imparti au tribunal arbitral pour rendre la sentence arbitrale, même si le délai est expiré.
Appeal of award 45
(1) A party may appeal an award to the court on a question of law with leave, which the court shall grant only if it is satisfied that (
a) the importance to the parties of the matters at stake in the arbitration justifies an appeal, and (
b) determination of the question of law at issue will significantly affect the rights of the parties. 45
(2) If the arbitration agreement so provides, a party may appeal an award to the court on a question of law. 45
(3) If the arbitration agreement so provides, a party may appeal an award to the court on a question of fact or on a question of mixed fact and law. 45
(4) The court may require the arbitral tribunal to explain any matter. 45
(5) The court may confirm, vary or set aside the award or may remit the award to the arbitral tribunal, with the court’s opinion on the question of law, in the case of an appeal on a question of law, and give directions about the conduct of the arbitration. Setting aside award 46
(1) On a party’s application, the court may set aside an award on any of the following grounds: (
a) a party entered into the arbitration agreement while under a legal incapacity; Appel de la sentence arbitrale 45
(1) Une
partie peut appeler à la cour, avec sa permission d’une sentence arbitrale sur une question de droit, et celle-ci n’accorde sa permission que si elle est convaincue de ce qui suit :
a) l’importance pour les parties des questions en jeu à l’arbitrage justifie l’appel;
b) la décision concernant la question de droit litigieuse peut porter atteinte de manière significative aux droits des parties. 45
(2) Si la convention d’arbitrage le prévoit, une
partie peut appeler à la cour de la sentence arbitrale sur une question de droit. 45
(3) Si la convention d’arbitrage le prévoit, une
partie peut appeler à la cour de la sentence arbitrale sur une question de fait ou sur une question mixte de fait et de droit. 45
(4) La cour peut exiger du tribunal arbitral des explications sur une question quelconque. 45
(5) La cour peut confirmer, modifier ou annuler la sentence arbitrale ou la déférer au tribunal arbitral, accompagnée de son avis sur la question de droit, dans le cas d’un appel sur une question de droit, et donner des directives concernant la conduite de l’arbitrage. Annulation de la sentence arbitrale 46
(1) Sur demande d’une partie, la cour peut annuler une sentence arbitrale pour l’un des motifs suivants :
a) une
partie a conclu la convention d’arbitrage alors qu’elle était frappée d’incapacité juridique;
b) la convention d’arbitrage est invalide ou a cessé d’exister;
c) la sentence arbitrale porte sur un
(
b) the arbitration agreement is invalid or has ceased to exist; (
c) the award deals with a dispute that the arbitration agreement does not cover or contains a decision on a matter that is beyond the scope of the agreement; (
d) the composition of the tribunal was not in accordance with the arbitration agreement or, if the agreement did not deal with that matter, was not in accordance with this Act; (
e) the subject matter of the dispute is not capable of being the subject of arbitration under New Brunswick law; (
f) the applicant was not treated equally and fairly, was not given an opportunity to present a case or to respond to another party’s case, or was not given proper notice of the arbitration or of the appointment of an arbitrator; (
g) the procedures followed in the arbitration did not comply with this Act; (
h) an arbitrator has committed a corrupt or fraudulent act or there is a reasonable apprehension of bias; or (
i) the award was obtained by fraud. 46
(2) If paragraph (1)
c) applies and it is reasonable to separate the decisions on matters covered by the arbitration agreement from the impugned ones, the court shall set aside the impugned decisions and allow the others to stand. 46
(3) The court shall not set aside an award on grounds referred to in paragraph (1)(
c) if the party has agreed to the inclusion of the dispute or matter, waived the right to object to its inclusion or agreed that the arbitral tribunal has power to decide what disputes have been referred to it. différend que la convention d’arbitrage ne prévoit pas ou comporte une décision sur une question qui dépasse la portée de la convention;
d) la composition du tribunal arbitral n’était pas conforme à la convention d’arbitrage ou, si la convention ne traitait pas de cette question, n’était pas conforme à la présente loi;
e) la question objet du différend n’est pas arbitrable selon le droit néo-brunswickois;
f) le droit à l’égalité du demandeur n’a pas été respecté non plus que son droit d’être traité équitablement, il n’a pas eu la possibilité de présenter l’un de ses arguments ou de répondre à ceux d’une autre partie, ou n’a pas été avisé de façon appropriée de la tenue de l’arbitrage ou de la désignation d’un arbitre;
g) la procédure suivie à l’arbitrage n’était pas conforme à la présente loi;
h) un arbitre a commis un acte corrompu ou frauduleux ou il y a appréhension raisonnables de partialité;
i) la sentence arbitrale a été obtenue par fraude. 46
(2) Lorsque l’alinéa (1)
c) s’applique et qu’il est raisonnable de dissocier les décisions portant sur des questions prévues par la convention d’arbitrage de celles qui sont contestées, la cour annule les décisions contestées et permet le maintien des autres décisions. 46
(3) La cour n’annule pas une sentence arbitrale pour les motifs prévus à l’alinéa (1)c), si la
partie a donné son accord à l’inclusion du différend ou de la question, a renoncé à son droit de s’opposer à son inclusion ou a consenti à ce que le tribunal arbitral soit habilité à décider de quels différends il a été saisi. 46
(4) La cour n’annule pas une sentence arbitrale pour des motifs prévus à l’alinéa (1)h), si la
partie avait la possibilité de récuser l’arbitre pour ces motifs en vertu de l’article 13 avant que la sentence arbitrale ne soit rendue et s’en est abstenue, ou si ces
(4) The court shall not set aside an award on grounds referred to in paragraph (1)(
h) if the party had an opportunity to challenge the arbitrator on those grounds under
section 13 before the award was made and did not do so, or if those grounds were the subject of an unsuccessful challenge. 46
(5) The court shall not set aside an award on a ground to which the applicant is deemed under
section 4 to have waived the right to object. 46
(6) If the ground alleged for setting aside the award could have been raised as an objection to the arbitral tribunal’s jurisdiction to conduct the arbitration or as an objection that the arbitral tribunal was exceeding its authority, the court may set the award aside on that ground if it considers the applicant’s failure to make an objection in accordance with
section 17 justified. 46
(7) When the court sets aside an award, it may remove the arbitral tribunal or an arbitrator and may give directions about the conduct of the arbitration. 46
(8) Instead of setting aside an award, the court may remit it to the arbitral tribunal and give directions about the conduct of the arbitration. Declaration of invalidity of arbitration 48
(1) At any stage during or after an arbitration, on the application of a party who has not participated in the arbitration, the court may grant a declaration that the arbitration is invalid because (
a) a party entered into the arbitration agreement while under a legal incapacity, (
b) the arbitration agreement is invalid or has ceased to exist, (
c) the subject matter of the dispute is not capable of being the subject of arbitration under New Brunswick law, or motifs ont fait l’objet d’une récusation qui a été rejetée. 46
(5) La cour n’annule pas une sentence arbitrale pour un motif au sujet duquel le demandeur est réputé en ver- tu de l’article 4 avoir renoncé à son droit de soulever une objection. 46
(6) Si le motif invoqué pour annuler la sentence arbitrale avait pu être soulevé à
titre d’objection visant la compétence du tribunal arbitral d’assurer la conduite de l’arbitrage ou à
titre d’objection portant que le tribunal arbitral a outrepassé ses pouvoirs, la cour peut annuler la sentence arbitrale pour ce motif dans le cas où elle estime que le demandeur était justifié de ne pas avoir soulevé d’objection conformément à l’article 17. 46
(7) Lorsqu’elle annule une sentence arbitrale, la cour peut destituer le tribunal arbitral ou un arbitre et donner des directives concernant la conduite de l’arbitrage. 46
(8) Plutôt que d’annuler une sentence arbitrale, la cour peut déférer au tribunal arbitral et donner des directives concernant la conduite de l’arbitrage. Déclaration d’invalidité de l’arbitrage 48
(1) À quelque étape que ce soit durant ou après un arbitrage et sur demande d’une
partie qui n’y a pas participé, la cour peut déclarer que l’arbitrage est invalide pour l’un des motifs suivants :
a) une
partie a conclu la convention d’arbitrage alors qu’elle était frappée d’incapacité juridique;
b) la convention d’arbitrage est invalide ou a cessé d’exister;
c) la question objet du différend n’est pas arbitrable selon le droit néo-brunswickois;
d) la convention d’arbitrage ne s’applique pas au différend.
(
d) the arbitration agreement does not apply to the dispute. 48
(2) When the court grants the declaration, it may also grant an injunction against the commencement or continuation of the arbitration. Enforcement of award 50
(1) A person who is entitled to enforcement of an award made in New Brunswick or elsewhere in Canada may make an application to the court to that effect. 50(2) The application shall be made on notice to the person against whom enforcement is sought, in accordance with the Rules of Court, and shall be supported by the original award or a certified copy. 50
(3) The court shall give a judgment enforcing an award made in New Brunswick unless (
a) the 30-day period for commencing an appeal or an application to set the award aside has not yet elapsed, (
b) there is a pending appeal, application to set the award aside or application for a declaration of invalidity, or (
c) the award has been set aside or the arbitration is the subject of a declaration of invalidity. 50
(4) The court shall give a judgment enforcing an award made elsewhere in Canada unless (
a) the period for commencing an appeal or an application to set the award aside provided by the laws of the province or territory where the award was made has not yet elapsed, 48
(2) Lorsqu’elle rend le jugement déclaratoire, la cour peut également accorder une injonction interdisant l’introduction ou la poursuite de l’arbitrage. Exécution de la sentence arbitrale 50
(1) Quiconque a droit à l’exécution d’une sentence arbitrale rendue au Nouveau- Brunswick ou ailleurs au Canada peut présenter à la cour une requête à cette fin. 50
(2) La requête s’accompagne d’un avis donné à la personne contre laquelle l’exécution sollicitée est demandée conformément aux Règles de procédure et est appuyée par l’original ou une copie conforme de la sentence arbitrale. 50
(3) La cour rend une décision mettant à exécution une sentence arbitrale rendue au Nouveau-Brunswick, sauf si :
a) le délai de trente jours imparti pour interjeter appel ou introduire une requête en annulation de la sentence n’est pas encore écoulé;
b) un appel, une requête en annulation de la sentence arbitrale ou une requête visant l’obtention d’une déclaration d’invalidité est pendant;
c) la sentence arbitrale a été annulée ou l’arbitrage fait l’objet d’une déclaration d’invalidité. 50
(4) La cour rend une décision mettant à exécution une sentence rendue ailleurs au Canada, sauf si :
a) le délai pour interjeter appel ou introduire une requête en annulation de la sentence que prévoient les lois de la province ou du territoire où la sentence a été rendue n’est pas encore écoulé;
b) un appel, une requête en annulation de la sentence arbitrale ou une requête visant l’obtention d’une déclaration d’invalidité est pendant dans la province ou le territoire où la sentence a été rendue;
(
b) there is a pending appeal, application to set the award aside or application for a declaration of invalidity in the province or territory where the award was made, (
c) the award has been set aside in the province or territory where it was made or the arbitration is the subject of a declaration of invalidity granted there, or
d) the subject matter of the award is not capable of being the subject of arbitration under New Brunswick law. 50
(5) If the period for commencing an appeal, application to set the award aside or application for a declaration of invalidity has not yet elapsed, or if such a proceeding is pending, the court may (
a) enforce the award, or (
b) order, on such conditions as are just, that enforcement of the award is stayed until the period has elapsed without such a proceeding being commenced, or until the pending proceeding is finally disposed of. […]
c) la sentence a été annulée dans la province ou le territoire où elle a été rendue ou l’arbitrage fait l’objet d’une déclaration d’invalidité;
d) la question objet de la sentence n’est pas arbitrable selon le droit néo-brunswickois. 50
(5) Si le délai imparti pour interjeter appel, pour introduire une requête en annulation de la sentence arbitrale ou une requête visant l’obtention d’une déclaration d’invalidité n’est pas encore écoulé, ou si une telle instance est pendante, la cour peut :
a) assurer l’exécution de la sentence arbitrale;
b) ordonner, aux conditions qu’elle estime justes, la suspension de l’exécution de la sentence jusqu’à ce que le délai soit écoulé sans l’introduction d’une telle instance ou jusqu’à ce que l’instance pendante soit définitivement réglée. […] Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] La clause d’arbitrage d’un contrat de franchisage prévoit que, si une sentence arbitrale condamne le franchiseur ou le franchisé à payer plus de 100 000 $, la personne tenue de payer a [TRADUCTION] « droit à une action de novo sur le fond devant un tribunal compétent ».
[2] L’intention des parties quant à cette clause n’est pas en litige en appel; elle reflète leur accord visant à prévoir le droit d’écarter une sentence arbitrale qui condamne l’une d’elles à payer plus de 100 000 $ par l’introduction d’une action devant la Cour du Banc du Roi pour que celle-ci tranche le litige sous-jacent. La question à trancher est plutôt celle de savoir si ce droit contractuel est inexécutoire du fait qu’il serait incompatible avec les dispositions impératives de la
Loi sur l’arbitrage , L.R.N.-B. 2014, ch. 100, en ce sens que ces dernières ne pourraient être modifiées ou exclues par les parties à une convention d’arbitrage. [3] Purrestore Management Services Inc., la franchiseuse et une des appelants, a obtenu une sentence arbitrale contre les franchisés, Remi Doiron et Michelle Doiron, les condamnant à payer plus de 200 000 $, ainsi que des dépens de près de 185 000 $. [4] Les Doiron se sont adressés à la Cour du Banc du Roi, lui demandant de confirmer leur droit à la tenue d’une action de novo .
Purrestore a soutenu que la disposition contractuelle était inexécutoire et a demandé, sur le fondement du par. 50(3) de la Loi , que cette cour rende une décision mettant à exécution la sentence arbitrale. [5] Le juge saisi des requêtes a confirmé le droit des Doiron à la tenue d’une action de novo , il a sursis à l’exécution de la sentence arbitrale et a rejeté la demande de Purrestore qui sollicitait le prononcé d’une décision relative à la sentence arbitrale. Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel de cette décision interjeté par Purrestore . II.
Contexte [6] En 2013, « PurRestore », faisant affaire sous la raison sociale « PuroClean », a conclu un contrat de franchisage de 10 ans avec M. Doiron et Armand Melanson. En 2016, M. Melanson s’est retiré de l’entreprise et la sœur de M. Doiron, Michelle Doiron, est devenue franchisée.
L’entreprise franchisée offre des services de réparation, de sous-traitance, de séchage, de nettoyage et de purification en cas de sinistre. [7] En avril 2020, Purrestore a mis fin au contrat de franchisage à la suite d’un conflit lié à sa demande d’audit de l’entreprise des Doiron. [8] M. et M me Doiron ont lancé une entreprise concurrente sous le nom Claim Restore. De plus, le 24 avril 2020, M. Doiron a déposé un avis de poursuite accompagné d’un exposé de la demande contre Purrestore ainsi que contre Gordon Gamble et Jason Reis, respectivement les président et chef de la direction de Purrestore .
L’action alléguait la violation de contrat, le manquement à l’obligation d’agir de bonne foi, l’impossibilité d’exécution du contrat de franchisage, l’assertion inexacte ainsi que l’atteinte aux rapports économiques. [9] Le 16 juin 2020, Purrestore a remis un avis d’arbitrage par lequel elle sollicitait notamment une déclaration que le contrat de franchisage avait été valablement résilié, des dommages-intérêts découlant de la résiliation hâtive du contrat et une injonction permanente interdisant aux Doiron d’exploiter leur entreprise concurrente. [10] En septembre 2020, Purrestore a déposé un avis de requête visant l’obtention d’une ordonnance de nomination d’un arbitre et de la suspension de l’action des Doiron. [11] En avril 2021, sur consentement des parties, un juge a confirmé la nomination d’un arbitre choisi par les parties, en vertu de l’art. 10 de la Loi , et il a suspendu l’action des Doiron, comme le prescrit l’art. 7. [12] En juillet 2021, les Doiron ont envoyé une réponse à l’avis d’arbitrage de Purrestore et, dans le cadre de l’arbitrage qui s’est déroulé par la suite, les parties ont traité l’action intentée par M.
Doiron en avril 2020 comme une demande reconventionnelle contre Purrestore . [13] En août 2021, les parties ont conclu un protocole d’arbitrage qui complétait la clause d’arbitrage du contrat de
franchisage en traitant entre autres choses des questions procédurales relatives à l’arbitrage en cours. Ainsi, tant le contrat que le protocole s’appliquent. [14] Le libellé de la clause d’arbitrage du contrat de franchisage est le suivant : [TRADUCTION] 17.2
Sous réserve des clauses 17.1 et 17.3, les parties conviennent que tout litige et toute réclamation découlant (directement ou indirectement) des affaires de la franchise, du présent contrat ou de contrats connexes – ou s’y rapportant –, y compris leur violation et toute violation alléguée de la loi, seront soumis à un arbitrage contraignant mené sous le régime de la
loi sur l’arbitrage de la province dans laquelle l’entreprise franchisée sera exploitée, et un tel arbitrage sera tenu conformément à la
loi sur l’arbitrage de cette province (la
loi sur l’arbitrage).
Sous réserve de la
loi sur l’arbitrage, et dans la mesure où elles sont applicables sous son régime, les clauses suivantes s’appliquent : 17.2.1 Un [litige soumis à l’]arbitrage sera résolu individuellement et ne peut pas faire l’objet d’un recours collectif ni être joint à la demande d’autres franchisés. Le litige sera entendu par une formation de trois arbitres indépendants.
Si toutefois l’intimé omet de répondre à la demande en temps opportun, omet de payer les droits et frais requis ou omet de présenter une demande reconventionnelle, le réclamant pourra choisir de réduire le nombre d’arbitres à un seul, qui sera désigné par l’organisation arbitrale choisie. Chaque arbitre doit avoir au moins 10 ans d’expérience dans le domaine des franchises. Le franchisé et le franchiseur renoncent chacun à leurs droits de réclamer des dommages-intérêts punitifs et les arbitres ne sont pas autorisés à en adjuger. Le franchisé et le franchiseur renoncent chacun à leur droit à un procès avec jury.
Le franchisé et le franchiseur partageront en parts égales les honoraires et frais des arbitres. L’arbitrage se déroulera dans la ville choisie par le franchiseur dans la province où est situé le bureau d’affaires du franchisé. 17.2.2 La décision des arbitres peut être déposée en tant que jugement auprès de tout tribunal compétent et sera contraignante dans tout autre ressort. Si les dommages-intérêts adjugés en arbitrage dépassent 100 000 $, la
partie tenue de payer un tel jugement aura droit à une action de novo sur le fond devant un tribunal compétent à Toronto, en Ontario, à moins que la loi de la province où l’entreprise franchisée est exploitée n’exige que le paiement de tout jugement ait lieu dans cette province, avant que la sentence de l’arbitre soit déposée. 17.2.3 Toute procédure d’arbitrage, ou toute demande soumise à l’arbitrage (y compris une défense et une demande en compensation ou en recouvrement), doit être intentée ou présentée avant l’expiration de la première des dates suivantes […] [Gras et soulignement ajoutés] [15] Le libellé des clauses du protocole d’arbitrage relatives aux sentences arbitrales et aux droits des parties d’interjeter appel ou d’intenter une action de novo est le suivant : [TRADUCTION] 5.1 L’arbitre s’assure que le processus d’arbitrage est mené aussi rapidement que possible avec le moins de formalités possible, tout en garantissant que chaque
partie peut exercer ses droits, présenter sa preuve et faire valoir ses arguments.
Sous réserve des dispositions de la clause 6 ci-après, l’arbitre rend une décision signée, écrite et motivée dans les soixante jours qui suivent la fin de l’audience […] 5.2 Si les parties règlent le litige avant le prononcé de la sentence arbitrale, l’arbitre peut inclure cette entente dans une sentence arbitrale, à la demande écrite d’une des parties. 5.3 La sentence arbitrale précise la date et le lieu où elle a été rendue. Elle est réputée avoir été rendue à cette date et en ce lieu. 5.4 La sentence arbitrale liera les parties à compter du moment où l’arbitre leur en signifie une copie signée comme le prévoit la clause 8.2 ci-après.
5.5 Les parties peuvent interjeter appel de la sentence arbitrale devant une cour en vertu de l’article 45 de la
Loi sur l’arbitrage du Nouveau-Brunswick. 5.6 Si la sentence arbitrale adjuge des dommages-intérêts de plus de 100 000 $, la
partie tenue de les payer se réserve le droit d’introduire une action de novo devant les tribunaux du Nouveau-Brunswick en application de la clause 17.2.2 du contrat de franchisage et dans le respect de l’article 11 de la
Loi sur les franchises . 5.7 Il incombe aux parties de demander l’homologation de toute sentence arbitrale et de l’exécuter. [Gras et soulignement ajoutés] [16] L’arbitre a rendu deux décisions.
La première, datée du 24 août 2022, a déclaré que le contrat de franchisage avait été valablement résilié par Purrestore , a prononcé une injonction permanente interdisant aux Doiron d’utiliser les renseignements confidentiels de Purrestore (entre autres choses), a ordonné qu’ils paient à Purrestore plus de 200 000 $ pour redevances impayées et en dommages-intérêts, et a ordonné la tenue d’un audit de l’exploitation de la franchise des Doiron dans les six mois qui suivraient.
L’arbitre a refusé d’accorder les autres mesures réparatoires sollicitées par Purrestore , y compris une injonction interdisant aux Doiron d’exploiter une entreprise concurrente, et il a rejeté la demande reconventionnelle des Doiron. [17] Dans sa seconde décision, datée du 11 octobre 2022, l’arbitre a adjugé à Purrestore les dépens sur la base d’une indemnité partielle (au taux de 50 % des dépens réclamés par Purrestore ), qu’il a établis à 184 129,30 $, TVH incluse. [18] Le 22 septembre 2022, avant l’adjonction des dépens, les Doiron ont déposé un avis de requête devant la Cour du Banc du Roi par lequel ils demandaient la confirmation de leur droit à la tenue d’une action de novo puisqu’ils étaient condamnés à payer un montant supérieur à 100 000 $.
Ils demandaient en outre la suspension de l’exécution des sentences arbitrales et le retrait de Gordon Gamble et de Jason Reis comme parties à l’action qu’ils souhaitaient intenter devant la Cour du Banc du Roi. [19] Purrestore a contesté la requête des Doiron et, le 11 novembre 2022, a déposé un avis de requête par lequel elle sollicitait une décision mettant à exécution les sentences arbitrales.
Par sa requête, elle sollicitait aussi le prononcé d’une ordonnance accueillant l’appel du rejet par l’arbitre de sa demande d’injonction visant à restreindre les activités commerciales des Doiron, en application des clauses de non-concurrence et de non-sollicitation du contrat de franchisage. [20] Les requêtes déposées par les Doiron et par Purrestore ont été entendues simultanément. Le juge a décidé que le contrat de franchisage accordait le droit à la tenue d’une action de novo , lorsqu’une des parties est condamnée à payer plus de 100 000 $, et que les Doiron étaient donc autorisés à procéder en conséquence.
Il a affirmé : [TRADUCTION] Quand on voit cette disposition dans les documents signés par les deux parties, peut-il être plus clair que les parties avaient l’intention de prévoir la tenue d’une action de novo , et y ont droit, conformément à l’art. 17.2.2 du contrat de franchisage, intention qui est confirmée à l’art. 5.6 du protocole d’arbitrage?
Poser la question, c’est y répondre! [par. 21] [21] S’agissant de la prétention de Purrestore selon laquelle la Loi interdisait aux parties de s’octroyer ce droit par contrat, le juge a donné l’explication suivante : [TRADUCTION] « Ces deux clauses du contrat de franchisage et du protocole d’arbitrage ne peuvent pas être limitées par les dispositions de la
Loi sur l’arbitrage . Les parties ont procédé à l’arbitrage en premier, comme elles en avaient eu l’intention. » Il a conclu que ce droit [TRADUCTION] « n’est pas incompatible avec le régime obligatoire applicable aux recours prévus contre les sentences arbitrales dans la
Loi sur l’arbitrage », comme l’a soutenu Purrestore : [TRADUCTION] Il ne s’agit pas d’un appel d’une sentence arbitrale dans lequel un tribunal doit statuer sur le caractère raisonnable de la décision de l’arbitre. L’action de novo n’a rien à voir avec la décision de l’arbitre, sauf la réalisation des conditions qui donnent à une
partie le droit à la tenue d’une action de novo , comme c’est le cas en l’espèce.
Bien que le protocole d’arbitrage ait prévu le droit des parties à un appel de la sentence arbitrale devant la Cour, il prévoyait aussi que [TRADUCTION] « [s]i la sentence arbitrale adjuge des dommages-intérêts de plus de 100 000 $, la
partie tenue de les payer se réserve le droit d’introduire une action de novo devant les tribunaux du Nouveau-Brunswick ». Une conclusion contraire violerait l’intention qu’avaient les parties quand elles ont signé le contrat de franchisage, intention qu’elles ont confirmée plus tard dans le protocole d’arbitrage. Les Doiron ont droit à l’instruction de leur action devant notre Cour, et, ce faisant, ils rendent sans effet la sentence arbitrale. En reprenant à neuf le litige, ils font une deuxième tentative de résoudre les questions en litige entre les parties.
Un nouveau procès, comme en l’espèce, rend la sentence arbitrale inexécutoire et non susceptible d’appel dans les circonstances. Il n’est plus question de savoir si une
partie veut interjeter appel quand une
partie décide d’exercer son droit à une action de novo . En conséquence, il est sursis à l’exécution de la sentence arbitrale. [Gras et soulignement ajoutés; par . 34 à 37] [22] De plus, avec le consentement des parties, le juge saisi des requêtes a retiré Gordon Gamble et Jason Reis comme parties à la requête déposée par les Doiron. Toutefois, ils ne semblent pas avoir été retirés de la requête qu’ils ont déposée en novembre 2022, à
titre de co-requérants avec Purrestore , par laquelle ils sollicitaient une décision mettant à exécution les sentences arbitrales. Bien que l’intérêt qu’ils ont dans l’instance est inconnu, l’issue de la présente affaire ne repose pas sur cet élément. III.
Moyens d’appel [23] Purrestore fait valoir comme moyen d’appel que le juge a commis des erreurs en : 1. omettant de mettre à exécution la sentence arbitrale en application du paragraphe 50(1) de la Loi dans des circonstances où la Loi prescrit la mise à exécution d’une sentence arbitrale et ne confère aucun pouvoir discrétionnaire à la cour de la refuser; 2. ordonnant une mesure réparatoire (soit le sursis permanent à l’exécution de la sentence arbitrale et la tenue d’un [TRADUCTION] « procès de novo » devant la Cour du Banc du Roi) qui n’est ni visée ni autorisée par le régime obligatoire prévu par la Loi en ce qui a trait aux recours prévus contre les sentences arbitrales, donnant ainsi effet de manière inadmissible à la prétendue exclusion par contrat de diverses dispositions impératives de la Loi sur l’arbitrage (nommément le paragraphe 45(1) et les articles 46, 48 et 50) qui ne peuvent être exclues par contrat, aux termes de l’article 3 de la Loi ; 3. omettant d’appliquer le paragraphe 5(4) de la Loi même après avoir interprété les dispositions sur l’arbitrage en cause comme exigeant que certains litiges soient tranchés par voie d’arbitrage avant que les cours ne puissent les examiner (c.-à-d. une clause [TRADUCTION] « du genre visé dans Scott c.
Avery »).
Le paragraphe 5(4) de la Loi , qui ne peut être exclu par contrat, prescrit que toute disposition de ce type produit « le même effet qu’une convention d’arbitrage », ce que n’a pas respecté le juge saisi des requêtes; 4. concluant que les dispositions sur l’arbitrage en cause n’étaient pas [TRADUCTION] « subordonnée[s] » à la Loi , que leur application n’était pas limitée [TRADUCTION] « dans la mesure applicable sous son régime », et en ne tenant autrement pas compte du libellé clair et sans ambiguïté du contrat de franchisage et du protocole qui donnent préséance aux dispositions impératives de la Loi , n’interprétant donc pas de ce fait le contrat dans son ensemble. [24] À mon avis, il n’est pas nécessaire de s’attarder sur le troisième moyen d’appel de Purrestore .
Le paragraphe 5(4) de la Loi prévoit que « [p]roduit le même effet qu’une convention d’arbitrage la convention qui exige ou qui a pour effet d’exiger qu’une question soit d’abord tranchée par voie d’arbitrage avant de pouvoir être examinée par la cour ». Les parties et le juge ont reconnu que les dispositions sur l’arbitrage du contrat de franchisage constituaient une convention d’arbitrage. Je ne vois pas comment le juge aurait autrement omis d’appliquer cette disposition.
Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. [25] Les deux premiers moyens d’appel de Purrestore reposent sur sa prétention qu’un droit contractuel à la tenue d’une action de novo est incompatible avec le [TRADUCTION] « régime obligatoire » de la Loi . Le quatrième moyen, selon lequel le juge n’a pas reconnu que le contrat de franchisage et le protocole énoncent expressément qu’ils sont [TRADUCTION] « subordonné[s] » à la Loi , a également trait à cette prétention. Je vais donc traiter de ces trois moyens ensemble.
IV. Analyse [26] Purrestore soutient que l’entente des parties relative au droit à la tenue d’un procès de novo [TRADUCTION] « n’est ni visée ni autorisée par le régime obligatoire prévu par la Loi en ce qui a trait aux recours prévus contre les sentences arbitrales ». Elle fait valoir que ce régime comprend les éléments suivants prévus par la Loi : 1. les « recours » contre une sentence arbitrale , soit :
a) interjeter appel de la sentence arbitrale en vertu de l’art. 45,
b) faire annuler la sentence arbitrale, en vertu de l’art. 46, sur le fondement de circonstances liées en grande
partie à la procédure d’arbitrage, et non au bien-fondé de la sentence arbitrale,
c) faire déclarer l’arbitrage invalide, en vertu de l’art. 48, sur demande d’une
partie qui n’y a pas participé et sur le fondement de circonstances liées à la validité de l’arbitrage; 2. le droit à ce qu’une cour rende une décision mettant à exécution la sentence arbitrale en application de l’art. 50, sauf si celle-ci est susceptible d’être annulée en vertu des art. 45 et 46 ou si l’arbitrage fait l’objet d’une déclaration d’invalidité rendue en vertu de l’art. 48. [27] Les Doiron contestent cette caractérisation de ces dispositions de la Loi .
De plus, ils soutiennent qu’un élément implicite de leur droit contractuel à la tenue d’une action de novo est une entente selon laquelle l’exercice de ce droit fait perdre à la sentence arbitrale ses caractères contraignant et exécutoire. Même si, aux termes de l’art. 37 de la Loi , « [l]a sentence arbitrale lie les parties, sauf si elle est annulée ou modifiée en vertu de l’
article 45 ou 46 », les parties à un arbitrage sont libres de modifier ou d’exclure l’application de l’art. 37. L’article 3 prévoit que les parties à la convention d’arbitrage peuvent modifier ou exclure toute disposition de la Loi , à l’exception de certaines dispositions énumérées.
Comme l’art. 37 n’est pas l’une de ces dispositions énumérées, le principe qu’il énonce peut être modifié ou exclu par les parties. [28] Essentiellement, Purrestore fait valoir que le juge saisi des requêtes s’est mépris en ne concluant pas que la Loi interdit aux parties de convenir qu’une sentence arbitrale n’est pas contraignante ou est inexécutoire.
À l’inverse, elle affirme qu’il a commis une erreur parce qu’il n’a pas conclu que, après le prononcé des sentences arbitrales, il était tenu de rendre le jugement visé à l’art. 50, puisqu’aucune procédure n’avait été intentée, en vertu des art. 45 ou 46, pour faire annuler la sentence, ou pour faire déclarer l’arbitrage invalide en application de l’art. 48, toutes des dispositions qui ne peuvent être modifiées ou exclues par convention. A.
La Loi [29] Le caractère consensuel de l’arbitrage et la mesure dans laquelle celui-ci se reflète dans la législation actuelle sur l’arbitrage au Canada, y compris la Loi , constituent un élément important du contexte pour interpréter les dispositions en cause. Dans le traité intitulé Arbitration Law of Canada: Practice and Procedure , 3 e éd. (Huntington, NY : Juris, 2017), le professeur J. Brian Casey fait l’affirmation suivante quant à l’importance des conventions d’arbitrage : [TRADUCTION] L’arbitrage est par essence consensuel. Pour écarter la compétence d’une cour d’entendre et de trancher des litiges, une
partie doit être en mesure d’invoquer une convention exécutoire dans laquelle les parties au litige ont convenu de s’adresser à un autre forum pour le trancher. Si les parties se sont entendues pour faire appel à l’arbitrage en recourant à une convention libellée en termes larges, suivant la théorie de la pleine autonomie des parties de créer leur propre mécanisme de résolution des conflits, toutes les demandes, qu’elles soient fondées sur un contrat, un délit, l’équité ou une loi, peuvent faire l’objet d’un arbitrage.
Les arbitres tirent leur compétence de l’entente des parties pour que leurs différends soient résolus en faisant appel à un tiers, et non d’une loi adoptée par l’État, bien que la loi applicable là où se déroule l’arbitrage puisse retirer ou restreindre cette compétence. Essentiellement, si deux parties peuvent régler un litige juridique entre elles, elles peuvent demander à un tiers de le faire pour elles.
Au Canada, ce principe a été énoncé clairement par la Cour suprême du Canada dans de nombreuses décisions. Dans Dell Computer Corp. c. Union des consommateurs , la juge Deschamps, s’exprimant au nom de la majorité, a indiqué qu’un « arbitrage ne fait
partie d’aucune structure judiciaire étatique » et que son « existence repose sur la volonté exclusive des parties ». Voir également l’arrêt Desputeaux c. Éditions Chouette
(1987) Inc ., dans lequel le juge LeBel, exprimant l’opinion de la Cour, a écrit que, « [e]n général, l’arbitrage ne fait pas
partie de la structure judiciaire étatique, bien que l’État attribue parfois directement des compétences ou des fonctions aux arbitres ». [Gras et soulignement ajoutés; notes de bas de page omises; p. 51] [30] Les premiers textes législatifs canadiens sur l’arbitrage étaient modelés sur la Arbitration Act 1889 , 52-53 Vict., ch. 49 (R.-U.) anglaise.
La législation actuelle tire ses origines de la convention internationale sur l’arbitrage adoptée à la fin des années 1950 lors d’une conférence des Nations Unies (appelée la Convention de New York), qui a été suivie en 1985 par la Loi type de la CNUDCI sur l’arbitrage commercial international de la Commission des Nations Unies pour le droit commercial international, Doc. N.U. A/40/17, ann. I, 21 juin 1985. [31] La loi type a été adoptée par le gouvernement fédéral et par les provinces pour les arbitrages internationaux (au Nouveau-Brunswick :
Loi sur l’arbitrage commercial international , L.N. _ B. 1986, ch. I-12.2 ; remplacée par L.R.N.-B. 2011, ch. 176). [32] En outre, la plupart des assemblées législatives provinciales se sont inspirées de la loi type pour formuler leur loi actuelle sur l’arbitrage interne. Le Nouveau-Brunswick est une des provinces à l’avoir fait, et la Loi est en vigueur depuis 2015. Naturellement, dans la mesure où les dispositions sont le reflet de la loi type, il faut en tenir compte lorsqu’il s’agit de déterminer l’intention du législateur. [33] Conformément à la loi type, une telle
loi sur l’arbitrage interne donne effet à la nature consensuelle de l’arbitrage pour la résolution des litiges en permettant aux parties « [d’en] modifier ou [d’en] exclure » les dispositions, sous réserve de certaines d’entre elles clairement désignées. Cette démarche est décrite à l’art. 3 de la Loi : Contracting out 3 The parties to an arbitration agreement may agree, expressly or by implication, to vary or exclude any provision of this Act except the following: (a) subsection 5(4); (
b) section 19; (
c) section 39; (d) subsection 45(1); (
e) section 46; (
f) section 48; and (
g) section 50. Exclusion de dispositions 3 Les parties à la convention d’arbitrage peuvent convenir, expressément ou implicitement, de modifier ou d’exclure toute disposition de la présente loi, à l’exception :
a) du paragraphe 5(4);
b) de l’article 19;
c) de l’article 39;
d) du paragraphe 45(1);
e) de l’article 46;
f) de l’article 48;
g) de l’article 50. [34] Les parties peuvent donc convenir de modifier ou d’exclure toutes les dispositions, sauf les suivantes, que je
résume, bien que très
sommairement (elles sont reproduites dans l’annexe jointe à la présente décision) : 1. par. 5(4) : la convention qui exige qu’une question soit d’abord tranchée par voie d’arbitrage (avant de pouvoir être examinée par la cour) (une clause du genre visé dans Scott c. Avery ) produit le même effet qu’une convention d’arbitrage; 2. art. 19 : les parties à une procédure d’arbitrage sont traitées de façon équitable et juste; 3. art. 39 : la cour peut proroger le délai imparti au tribunal arbitral pour rendre la sentence arbitrale; 4. par. 45(1) : une
partie peut appeler à la cour (la Cour du Banc du Roi), avec sa permission, d’une sentence arbitrale sur une question de droit, et celle-ci n’accorde sa permission que si elle est convaincue que (
i) l’importance des questions justifie l’appel et (ii) la décision concernant la question de droit peut porter atteinte de manière significative aux droits des parties; 5. art. 46 : la cour peut annuler une sentence arbitrale; 6. art. 48 : la cour peut déclarer que l’arbitrage est invalide; 7. art. 50 : la cour rend une décision mettant à exécution une sentence arbitrale. [35] Bien que les lois sur l’arbitrage interne de certaines autres provinces contiennent une disposition semblable, les assemblées législatives provinciales n’ont pas toutes choisi la même démarche en ce qui a trait aux appels des sentences arbitrales, et certaines d’entre elles autorisent les parties à modifier ou à exclure les dispositions législatives sur les appels. [36] En fait, la législation sur l’arbitrage interne diffère considérablement de celle sur l’arbitrage international qui adopte la loi type.
Comme la disposition qui prévoit l’appel énoncée au par. 45(1) de la Loi fait
partie de ce que Purrestore décrit comme le [TRADUCTION] « régime obligatoire » de recours contre les sentences arbitrales, il vaut la peine que je formule quelques observations supplémentaires. [37] La loi type ne confère pas de droit d’appel. En arbitrage international, on cherche souvent à éviter que le litige soit tranché par une cour locale, ou par celle de l’une ou l’autre des parties, y compris en appel.
Même si, initialement, certaines cours des États-Unis ont conclu que l’absence d’un droit d’appel dans la loi fédérale sur l’arbitrage n’empêchait pas les parties à l’arbitrage de convenir d’un droit d’appel d’une sentence arbitrale, en 2008, la Cour suprême des États-Unis avait jugé que la loi est le seul fondement d’un contrôle et que les parties ne peuvent pas étendre cette compétence (voir Hall Street Associates, L.L.C. c.
Mattel, Inc ., 552 U.S. 576 (2008)). [38] L’intention du législateur en adoptant la législation provinciale sur l’arbitrage interne a mené au choix d’une démarche clairement différente en ce qui a trait aux appels. La Loi confère le droit d’interjeter appel d’une sentence arbitrale sur une question de droit, avec la permission de la cour (par. 45(1)). L’alinéa 3d) interdit aux parties à une convention d’arbitrage de modifier ou d’exclure ce droit. Les paragraphes 45(2) et (3) permettent toutefois qu’une convention prévoie des droits d’appel plus étendus.
Essentiellement, la Loi confère aux parties un droit d’appel, bien que limité, qu’elles ne peuvent écarter par contrat, mais qu’elles sont libres d’étendre. La démarche adoptée par le Nouveau-Brunswick est semblable à celles qu’énoncent les lois de l’Alberta et du Manitoba sur l’arbitrage interne.
La loi de la Nouvelle-Écosse confère un droit plus étendu d’interjeter appel d’une sentence arbitrale, mais elle prévoit elle aussi que ce droit ne peut pas être modifié ou exclu par contrat. [39] Reflétant une intention différente, les lois de l’Ontario et de la Saskatchewan autorisent les parties à un arbitrage à modifier ou à exclure le droit d’appel qu’elles prévoient.
En Colombie-Britannique, certaines dispositions législatives sont réputées incluses dans une convention d’arbitrage, à moins que les parties n’en conviennent autrement. [40] En somme, l’intention du législateur, en adoptant les dispositions relatives aux appels des lois sur l’arbitrage
interne, ressort entièrement de leur libellé, et non de la loi type et de la jurisprudence qui s’y rapporte. À cet égard, l’intention de la Loi est claire : conférer, sans égard à toute entente que les parties ont conclue, un droit d’interjeter appel d’une sentence arbitrale sur une question de droit avec la permission de la Cour d