2016 NBCA 14, 2016 NBCA 14
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 87-14-CA ALAN D. SCHELEW and IRVING SCHELEW, asrepresented by his executor, ALAN D. SCHELEW APPELLANTS ALAN D. SCHELEW et IRVING SCHELEW,représenté par son exécuteur testamentaire, ALAN D.SCHELEW APPELANTS - and - - et - LILLIAN SCHELEW and JEFFREY SCHELEW RESPONDENTS LILLIAN SCHELEW et JEFFREY SCHELEW INTIMÉS Alan Schelew et al. v. Lillian Schelew et al., 2016NBCA 14 Alan Schelew et autre c.
Lillian Schelew et autre,2016 NBCA 14 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: June 18, 2014 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 18 juin 2014 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2014 NBQB 156 Décision frappée d’appel : 2014 NBQB 156 , 2014 NBBR 156 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Court of Appeal : (NB CA), [2013] N.B.J.
No. 226 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Cour d’appel : (NB CA), [2013] A.N.-B. no 226 Appeal heard: March 18, 2015 Appel entendu : le 18 mars 2015
Judgment rendered: March 31, 2016 Jugement rendu : le 31 mars 2016 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: James J. Matheson For the respondents: Timothy Bell Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : James J. Matheson Pour les intimés : Timothy Bell THE COURT The appeal is dismissed, with costs payable by the appellants on a solicitor-client basis.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté et les appelants sont condamnés aux dépens sur la base des frais entre avocat et client. The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The appellants seek to overturn a finding of civil contempt by a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, Trial Division, and the associated sanctions imposed and costs awarded against them as a result. For the reasons which follow, I would dismiss the appeal. II. Background [ 2 ] The various parties to the underlying dispute are all members of the same family.
Their interactions concerning the estate of the late Abraham Lackman eventually brought them before the courts of the province, on more than one occasion, as will be outlined below.
[ 3 ] Mr. Lackman passed away in 1999, leaving his estate to be administered by three executors: his daughter Lillian Schelew, his grandson Jeffrey Schelew (the two respondents), and his son-in-law Irving Schelew. Irving Schelew passed away on December 10, 2013.
His Last Will and Testament appointed his son Alan Schelew as sole executor. [ 4 ] Unanimity was required of the executors on all decisions affecting the estate, and this proved unattainable with respect to the estate’s last remaining asset, a property located at 801-803 Main Street in Moncton, New Brunswick. [ 5 ] The respondents have long held the position that the property should be sold. For his part, Irving Schelew held the opposite opinion and opposed the sale. He was joined by the appellant Alan Schelew, whose company, A.I.
Enterprises, managed the property. [ 6 ] Frustration arising from the inability to achieve consensus with respect to the sale of the property caused the respondents to seek directions from the Court. [ 7 ] In his first order dated March 22, 2011, Morrison J. of the Court of Queen’s Bench, Trial Division, concluded it was reasonable to move forward with the sale of the property. Irving Schelew was ordered to provide his full cooperation toward this end. The executors were directed to meet for the purpose of dealing with issues relating to the sale, including the need to incur expenses for an appraisal, etc.
In the event the executors were unable to reach unanimity, they were to return to court for further direction. [ 8 ] On September 4, 2012, the same judge heard a motion on September 4, 2012, arising from his earlier order. The respondents sought an order to force the sale of the property by a majority of the executors, or, in the alternative, the removal of Irving Schelew as an executor. Although Irving Schelew did not file a responding affidavit, Alan Schelew did so on his behalf.
Alan Schelew alleged it had been Irving who attempted to arrange for a meeting of the executors, but the others had refused. [ 9 ] The judge reviewed a considerable Record on Motion, and concluded that Irving Schelew had not provided his full cooperation in moving the sale of the property forward. His decision dated October 22, 2012, includes the following highly informative passage: I will not recount the voluminous correspondence and other documents contained in the Record on Motion.
Upon reviewing the documents it is apparent to me that Irving Schelew has not provided his full cooperation and effort in assisting in the sale of the Property. Instead of responding to correspondence from the Applicants’ solicitor in a straightforward manner, he has obfuscated the issues and has raised collateral management matters as a diversion. One can come to no other conclusion but that Irving Schelew continues to foster opposition to the sale of the Property and continues to attempt to thwart or postpone such sale.
Indeed, from the comments of his counsel in argument, it is clear that Irving Schelew wishes to re-litigate the issue of whether the Property should be sold. That issue has been decided. [para. 9] [ 10 ] As there had been no meeting of the executors as previously ordered, Morrison J. gave the executors “one last chance to meet and come to agreement” on issues related to the sale. The judge was not satisfied there was sufficient evidence to warrant the removal of Irving Schelew as an executor, relying on the reasoning set out in Black v. Gladstone Estate , 2005 NBQB 244 , 285 N.B.R. (2d) 148.
He did, however, retain jurisdiction in the event any of the parties believed further direction was necessary. [ 11 ] Deadlock continued. On February 20, 2013, Morrison J. heard yet another motion, and rendered an oral decision. He held that decisions relating to the sale of the property would proceed on the basis of a majority vote by the executors. He also confirmed the selection of a listing agent.
The rationale for his determination is clearly set out: In my decision of October 22, 2012, I pointed out that [Irving Schelew] was not cooperating in the sale of the property and I also mentioned that he continued to foster opposition to the sale, and that he was making attempts at that time to thwart the sale of the property. [...] I can come to no other conclusion but that his opposition to the sale continues.
Many of the positions which he advanced at the executors’ meeting […] relate not to facilitating the sale but questioning the wisdom of the sale itself. […] [Irving Schelew] is still opposing the sale of this property and he, in my view, insists on revisiting the question whether the property should be sold or not. I will reiterate that that is no longer an issue. That decision has been made.
In my view the process to have the sale proceed has been needlessly delayed. The Applicants have been successful in this motion, and I award costs on this motion against [Irving Schelew] personally in the amount of $1500. [paras. 16-17] [ 12 ] Irving Schelew appealed the February 20, 2013, decision to this Court. He sought by way of Notice of Motion a stay of execution. In a decision dated July 3, 2013, his request was dismissed by Richard J.A. Although an extension of time to perfect the appeal was granted, the appeal itself was not pursued. [ 13 ] The next
chapter in this ongoing dispute, and the one at the heart of the matter before us, was a Notice of Motion filed with the Court of Queen’s Bench on October 21, 2013, seeking to have the appellants (respondents at the hearing of the motion) cited for contempt of court pursuant to Rule 76 of the Rules of Court “as a result of their failure to abide by the Court Orders and Decisions of the Honorable Terrence J. Morrison dated March 22, 2011, October 27, 2012 and February 20, 2013 and the Order of the Honorable J.C.
Marc Richard dated July 3, 2013”. [ 14 ] A hearing was held on February 17, 2014, before a different judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench. All evidence was received through affidavits, and neither side requested to cross-examine the affiants. Specifically, the Court received and considered the affidavits of Jeffrey Schelew, Daniel Babineau, a licenced real estate appraiser retained to conduct an appraisal of the property, Alan Schelew, Brent Corbin, who acted as solicitor for Irving Schelew “during most of the time relevant to [the motion]”, and Carol Killen, Alan Schelew’s legal secretary.
I note for clarity that Alan Schelew is a practicing member of the New Brunswick bar. [ 15 ] The decision on the contempt motion was dated June 18, 2014. The motion judge held: Irving Schelew and Alan D. Schelew’s actions consist of and the Court has no difficulty in finding contempt through repeated and continuous disobedience of the Court’s orders and by their obstruction and interference with the due course of justice. The appropriate mens rea required by Irving Schelew and Alan D.
Schelew is, without a doubt, present by their knowledge of the orders and the intentional commission of actions that rendered the appraisal impossible to complete. It is the Court’s conclusion that Irving Schelew and Alan D. Schelew are in contempt of court pursuant to Rule 76 of the Rules of Court as a result of their failure to abide by the court orders and decisions of Justice Morrison of this Court and Justice Richard of the Court of Appeal. [paras. 66-68] [ 16 ] Turning to appropriate sanctions, the motion judge ordered Alan Schelew and the Estate of Irving Schelew to pay $10,000 each.
Costs were granted on a solicitor-client basis. The appraiser Daniel Babineau was granted immediate access to the property so as to conduct the appraisal. [ 17 ] The appellants challenge the findings of contempt, the sanction imposed, and the award of costs on a solicitor-client basis. III. Issues [ 18 ] The grounds of appeal set out by the appellants are extensive.
However, the appellants’ written submission distilled the grounds to a more workable cluster of issues, specifically: (1) did the motion judge make reversible errors in his factual and credibility findings? (2) did the motion judge make errors of law in determining that the appellants were guilty of contempt? (3) did the motion judge err in his determination of a fit sentence? and (4) did the motion judge err in his cost award?
It is these questions the appellants addressed in their oral argument, and it is solely these questions I will resolve in this decision. [ 19 ] In oral argument, counsel for the appellants, who was not counsel in first instance, was candid and forthright in focusing the main thrust of his submission on the finding of contempt against Alan Schelew. He pointed out that a finding of civil contempt against an experienced member of the bar was a particularly serious matter.
IV. Law and Analysis A. Alleged errors in the motion judge’s factual and credibility findings [ 20 ] The appellants challenge four factual findings of the motion judge, which are identified as: (1) the events of August 16, 2013; (2) the April 29, 2013 letter;
(3) Alan Schelew’s telephone calls following the April 29, 2013 letter; and (4) the December 19, 2013 letter. The first in this list is perhaps worthy of the greatest attention, as it involves a clear error on the part of the motion judge, which is acknowledged by the respondents.
(1) The events of August 16, 2013 [ 21 ] On Friday, August 16, 2013, at 2:03 p.m., Alan Schelew sent an e-mail message to Daniel Babineau inviting him to conduct his appraisal of the property that afternoon. Mr. Babineau was not available, and the appraisal did not take place. [ 22 ] The appellants argue the lack of an evidentiary foundation to support the motion judge’s finding that when Alan Schelew extended this invitation, he did so knowing full well Mr. Babineau would not be able to accept and attend.
They highlight two specific paragraphs of the decision to buttress their contention: Dealing first with the affidavit of Alan D. Schelew, I do not believe it when he states that he called Daniel Babineau many times in an effort to complete the appraisal, nor that he was unaware of Daniel Babineau’s unavailability to attend for the inspection on August 16, 201[3]. If this last statement was truthful, would it not be reasonable to expect that Alan D.
Schelew offer an alternative date when he discovered the appraiser’s non-availability. [para. 33] In his letter to Daniel Babineau dated December 19, 2013, subsequently to being served with the present motion for contempt, Alan D. Schelew wants to confirm his offer to invite Mr. Babineau to come to the building on August 16, 2013. It is worthy to mention that prior to offering this invitation to Daniel Babineau, the latter had, earlier that day, informed via email Alan D. Schelew that he was not available on the afternoon of August 16, 2013, for an inspection of the building. [Coincidentally], Alan D.
Schelew made the offer for the inspection for that afternoon. In his affidavit Alan D. Schelew states that he had no knowledge of this email from Daniel Babineau. It is difficult to believe in this context. [para. 63] [ 23 ] The evidence clearly establishes that Mr. Babineau’s e-mail was sent after Alan Schelew’s, and not prior to. This constitutes a palpable error on the part of the motion judge, but in my opinion not an overriding one which attracts appellate intervention. The motion judge found that when he extended the invitation on August 16, Alan Schelew knew Mr. Babineau would not be available.
In point of fact, there was ample evidence before the motion judge to support such a conclusion, including the following: • On July 16, 2013, Mr. Babineau sent an e-mail to Alan Schelew stating that he preferred to attend the inspection any time Mondays through Thursdays, as he usually took Fridays off in the summer; • On July 24, 2013, Alan Schelew informed Mr. Babineau that he required 48 hours’ notice prior to any inspection of the Property; • On July 24, 2013, Mr.
Babineau requested, via e-mail, that Alan Schelew provide 48 hours’ notice to the property’s tenants for an inspection (that did not occur), confirming that Mr. Babineau was willing to
schedule the inspection working under the 48 hours’ notice protocol . Mr. Babineau also stated that for the subsequent week, he would only be available “Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, all day or Friday morning”;
• On July 31, 2013, Alan Schelew, via email from his legal secretary, Carol Killen, inquired whether Babineau would be “available on short notice,” notwithstanding the 48-hours’ notice protocol. Contrary to the Appellants’ submission that “Babineau agreed to accommodate [Alan Schelew’s] need for scheduling on short notice,” Mr. Babineau did not agree to dispense with the 48-hours’ notice protocol. Instead, Mr. Babineau responded that he had appointments, however to: “ask [Mr.
Schelew] to call me and I will do everything in my power to accommodate his schedule.” No further discussion or agreement regarding adjustments to the 48-hours’ notice protocol took place, as neither Alan Schelew nor Carol Killen called or responded via e-mail to Mr. Babineau’s request. The next correspondence Mr. Babineau received from Alan Schelew’s office, dated August 2, 2013, simply stated: “Unfortunately, [Alan Schelew] had to go out of town again today;” • On August 8, 2013, at some time before 9:09 am, Alan Schelew received a voicemail from Mr.
Babineau, requesting that Alan Schelew call him back, so that the two could set up an appointment the following week: August 12-16, 2013. Mr. Babineau said in the voicemail that he was available “any day and time.” However, Alan Schelew did not call Mr. Babineau back to set up the appointment. • On Friday August 16, 2013, at 2:03 p.m., having waited eight days since receiving Mr. Babineau’s voicemail, Alan Schelew, via e-mail from Carol Killen, tried to set the appointment for later that afternoon (or what was left of it). Alan Schelew did this despite having initiated a 48-hours’ notice protocol that Mr.
Babineau did not agree to end, and despite having been informed that Mr. Babineau “usually takes Fridays off in the summer”. • On September 3, 2013, Alan Schelew delayed Mr. Babineau’s attempt to reschedule the appointment by requiring Mr. Babineau to acquire authorization (in the form of a letter from Lillian Schelew) to conduct the very appraisal Alan Schelew claims to have tried to
schedule on August 16, 2013. After the letter was written, Mr. Babineau made a further attempt to
schedule the appointment, but was informed by Carol Killen that Alan Schelew was away on vacation until October 16 or 17, 2013. It is apparent, therefore, that Alan Schelew went to considerable lengths to thwart any attempt to
schedule the necessary appraisal.
(2) Remaining alleged factual errors [ 24 ] I see little benefit in detailing an exhaustive review of other alleged errors relating to factual findings. In my opinion, the record contains an evidentiary foundation for the motion judge’s conclusions. Where arguably an error has occurred, it fails to reach the threshold of palpable and overriding required for appellate intervention.
(3) Credibility findings [ 25 ] Turning to findings of credibility, the motion judge correctly set out the applicable principles. He indicated that he was guided in his deliberations by the following: Neither side requested to cross-examine any of the affiants and the Court did not have the benefit of hearing any of the evidence viva voce . In any event, congruence or lack of congruence is an important factor.
Where an affiant testifies to a particular fact, the more his/her evidence fits with the known and proven facts, the more one is inclined to believe his/her evidence; the less it fits, the less one is inclined to believe his/her evidence. I have read and scrutinized each affidavit individually. I have examined each critically and rationally analyzed each one. I have considered whether the evidence was reasonable in and of itself and whether or not it is reasonable having regard to the admitted facts or other credible evidence.
Inconsistency and weaknesses of material issues capable of undermining the reliability of the affiant’s evidence and his or her credibility, along with contradictions in the evidence was an important issue and was considered in deciding the weight to be given to the said evidence. As it will be seen, I have accepted some, all or none of the affiant’s testimony in arriving at my conclusions. It is important to distinguish between credibility and the reliability to give to each affiant’s evidence. I needed to scrutinize each witness’ evidence to decide its truthfulness.
As for reliability, an affidavit may be credible but for a number of reasons the factorial accuracy of what the witness says is questionableand cannot be relied upon. [paras. 29-32] [26] Applying the framework outlined above to the evidence before him, the motion judge went onto analyze the various affidavits. After doing so, he concluded: Neither Alan D. Schelew’s nor Brent Corbin’s evidence was reliable. It was neither internally nor externally consistent; some of it wasnot reasonable in the circumstances and their power of observation and recollection was less than acute.
I accept the evidence of Jeffrey Schelew and Daniel Babineau, both being credible and reliable. Their evidence is both internally andexternally consistent. Their evidence fits with the known and proven facts. Their observations and recollections appeared to be fine.There is no contradiction in their evidence and to some extent their evidence is confirmed by some aspect by the evidence of Alan D.Schelew and Brent Corbin. For the purposes of this matter, Brent Corbin’s affidavit is of little assistance to this Court to negate the finding of contempt againstIrving Schelew and Alan D. Schelew.
To the contrary, it supports a finding of contempt. In any event, where the evidence of the applicant and Daniel Babineau, and the evidence of the respondent through Brent Corbin andAlan D. Schelew diverge, I prefer that of Jeffrey Schelew and Daniel Babineau for the reasons previously outlined. [paras. 38-41] [27] For my part, I am satisfied with the approach taken by the motion judge. The conclusions hereached were open to him, and were supported by the evidence.
The responsibility to assess the credibility of the affiants was vested inthe motion judge, and in my opinion he discharged that responsibility appropriately. I would not interfere. B. Alleged errors in the motion judge’s determination of contempt
(1) The law of contempt [28] The law of contempt in Canada, and more specifically in New Brunswick, is without questionclearer today than it was when the motion judge rendered the decision now under appeal. This is primarily so for two reasons: thedecision of the Supreme Court in Carey v. Laiken, 2015 SCC 17, [2015] 2 S.C.R. 79, reasons by Cromwell J., and the subsequentdecision of our Court in Calvy v. Calvy, 2015 NBCA 53, [2015] N.B.J. No. 202 (QL), Quigg J.A. on behalf of the Court.
That said, andwhile the motion judge had the benefit of neither decision to guide his deliberations, in my opinion his disposition of the matter is in linewith both. [29] In Carey v. Laiken, Cromwell J. discusses civil contempt and sets out three elements ofcontempt that must be established beyond a reasonable doubt: Contempt of court “rest[s] on the power of the court to uphold its dignity and process. … The rule of law is directly dependent on theability of the courts to enforce their process and maintain their dignity and respect”: United Nurses of Alberta v.
Alberta (AttorneyGeneral), (SCC), [1992] 1 S.C.R. 901, at p. 931. It is well established that the purpose of a contempt order is “first andforemost a declaration that a party has acted in defiance of a court order”: Pro Swing Inc. v. Elta Golf Inc., 2006 SCC 52, [2006] 2 S.C.R.612, at para. 35, cited in Bell ExpressVu Limited Partnership v. Torroni, 2009 ONCA 85, 94 O.R. (3d) 614, at para. 20. The common law has developed to recognize two forms of contempt of court: criminal contempt and civil contempt.
The distinction,which the parties to this appeal accept, rests on the element of public defiance accompanying criminal contempt: see, e.g., United Nurses,at p. 931; Poje v. Attorney General for British Columbia, (SCC), [1953] 1 S.C.R. 516, at p. 522. With civil contempt,where there is no element of public defiance, the matter is generally seen “primarily as coercive rather than punitive”: R. J. Sharpe,Injunctions and Specific Performance (2nd ed. (loose-leaf)), at ¶6.100. However, one purpose of sentencing for civil contempt is
punishment for breaching a court order: Chiang (Trustee of) v. Chiang, 2009 ONCA 3, 305 D.L.R. (4th) 655, at para. 117. Courtssometimes impose substantial fines to match the gravity of the contempt, to deter the contemnor’s continuing conduct and to deter othersfrom comparable conduct: Sharpe, at ¶ 6.100. Civil contempt has three elements which must be established beyond a reasonable doubt: Prescott-Russell Services for Children andAdults v. G. (N.) (2006), (ON CA), 82 O.R. (3d) 686 (C.A.), at para. 27; College of Optometrists, at para. 71;Bhatnager v.
Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration), (SCC), [1990] 2 S.C.R. 217, at pp. 224-25; Jacksonv. Honey, 2009 BCCA 112 , 267 B.C.A.C. 210, at paras. 12-13; TG Industries Ltd. v. Williams, 2001 NSCA 105 , 196N.S.R. (2d) 35, at paras. 17 and 32; Godin v. Godin, 2012 NSCA 54, 317 N.S.R. (2d) 204, at para. 47; Soper v. Gaudet, 2011 NSCA 11,298 N.S.R. (2d) 303, at para. 23. These three elements, coupled with the heightened standard of proof, help to ensure that the potentialpenal consequences of a contempt finding ensue only in appropriate cases: Bell ExpressVu, at para. 22; Chiang, at paras. 10-11.
The first element is that the order alleged to have been breached “must state clearly and unequivocally what should and should not bedone”: Prescott-Russell, at para. 27; Bell ExpressVu, at para. 28, citing with approval Jaskhs Enterprises Inc. v. Indus Corp., (Ont. S.C.J.), at para. 40. This requirement of clarity ensures that a party will not be found in contempt where an order isunclear: Pro Swing, at para. 24; Bell ExpressVu, at para. 22.
An order may be found to be unclear if, for example, it is missing anessential detail about where, when or to whom it applies; if it incorporates overly broad language; or if external circumstances haveobscured its meaning: Culligan Canada Ltd. v. Fettes, 2010 SKCA 151, 326 D.L.R. (4th) 463, at para. 21. The second element is that the party alleged to have breached the order must have had actual knowledge of it: Bhatnager, at p. 226;College of Optometrists, at para. 71.
It may be possible to infer knowledge in the circumstances, or an alleged contemnor may attractliability on the basis of the wilful blindness doctrine (ibid.). Finally, the party allegedly in breach must have intentionally done the act that the order prohibits or intentionally failed to do the act thatthe order compels: Sheppard v. Sheppard (1976), (ON CA), 12 O.R. (2d) 4 (C.A.), at p. 8. The meaning of this elementis one of the main points in contention on appeal and I will turn to consider it in more detail momentarily.
The contempt power is discretionary and courts have consistently discouraged its routine use to obtain compliance with courtorders: see, e.g., Hefkey v. Hefkey, 2013 ONCA 44, 30 R.F.L. (7th) 65, at para. 3. If contempt is found too easily, “a court’s outragemight be treated as just so much bluster that might ultimately cheapen the role and authority of the very judicial power it seeks toprotect”: Centre commercial Les Rivières ltée v. Jean Bleu inc., 2012 QCCA 1663, at para. 7. As this Court has affirmed, “contempt ofcourt cannot be reduced to a mere means of enforcing judgments”: Vidéotron Ltée v.
Industries Microlec Produits Électroniques Inc., (SCC), [1992] 2 S.C.R. 1065, at p. 1078, citing Daigle v. St-Gabriel-de-Brandon (Paroisse), (QCCA), [1991] R.D.J. 249 (Que. C.A.). Rather, it should be used “cautiously and with great restraint”: TG Industries, at para. 32. It is anenforcement power of last rather than first resort: Hefkey, at para. 3; St. Elizabeth Home Society v. Hamilton (City), 2008 ONCA 182, 89O.R. (3d) 81, at paras. 41-43; Centre commercial Les Rivières ltée, at para. 64. [paras. 30-36]
(2) The findings of the motion judge [30] The motion judge set out the four elements of civil contempt to be proven beyond a reasonabledoubt: 1. The terms of the order must be clear and unambiguous; 2. Proper notice must be given to the contemnor of the terms of the order; 3. Clear proof must exist that the terms of the order have been broken by the contemnor; 4. The appropriate mens rea must be present. [para. 48] [31] Applying the law to the facts before him, the motion judge had no difficulty in determining the
appellants were in contempt: Overall, I find that none of the affidavits of the respondents on this motion contain reliable facts that could constitute a defense to an order for contempt, nor do they raise a doubt as to Irving Schelew and Alan D. Schelew’s intentional disobedience of a court order of March 22, 2011, October 22, 2012 and February 20, 2013. Irving Schelew and Alan D. Schelew’s actions consist of and the Court has no difficulty in finding contempt through repeated and continuous disobedience of the Court’s orders and by their obstruction and interference with the due course of justice.
The appropriate mens rea required by Irving Schelew and Alan D. Schelew is, without a doubt, present by their knowledge of the orders and the intentional commission of actions that rendered the appraisal impossible to complete. It is the Court’s conclusion that Irving Schelew and Alan D. Schelew are in contempt of court pursuant to Rule 76 of the Rules of Court as a result of their failure to abide by the court orders and decisions of Justice Morrison if this Court and Justice Richard of the Court of Appeal. [paras. 65-68]
(3) No basis for appellate intervention [ 32 ] The appellants bear the onus of establishing reversible error on the part of the motion judge. I see none. The motion judge was satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt the elements of civil contempt had been satisfied. Specifically, he found the terms of the various court orders were clear and unambiguous, both of the appellants were aware of the contents of the orders, the terms of the orders had not been respected, and that the appellants acted deliberately and intentionally, with the full knowledge they were ignoring the directions of the Court.
(4) Interpretation and application of Rule 10.01(2)(c) [ 33 ] The appellants argue that the motion judge made an error in law in his
interpretation and application of Rule 10.01(2)(
c) of the Rules of Court , which reads as follows:
10.01 Proceedings by or against an Estate or Trust where there is a personal Representative or Trustee
(1) A proceeding may be brought by or against an executor, administrator or trustee as representing the estate or trust of which he is the personal representative or trustee and as representing the persons beneficially interested without joining such persons as parties. (2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to a proceeding […] (
c) against an executor, administrator or trustee for fraud or maladministration, or […] 10.01 Instance intentée par ou contre une succession ou une fiducie avec représentant personnel ou fiduciaire
(1) Une instance peut être intentée par ou contre un exécuteur, un administrateur ou un fiduciaire en leur qualité de représentant de la succession ou de la fiducie et de représentant des personnes qui y ont un intérêt à
titre bénéficiaire, sans joindre ces derniers comme parties à l’instance.
(2) Le paragraphe (1) ne s’applique à aucune instance intentée […]
c) contre un exécuteur, un administrateur ou un fiduciaire pour fraude ou mauvaise administration ou […] [ 34 ] The position put forward by the appellants is that this matter is “based entirely on the alleged maladministration of Irving”, and therefore, pursuant to the above noted rule, the matter should not have continued against his estate following his death. The respondents maintain that the matter is in fact “based entirely on the Appellants’ failures to abide by Court Orders”. [ 35 ] I fail to see the logic in the argument advanced by the appellants, nor how Rule 10.01 has any application here.
Irving Schelew was found in contempt for failing to respect court orders concerning the sale of the property. He was not found to have committed fraud or maladministration. For his part, Alan Schelew was also found in contempt for failing to respect court orders, and not for the manner in which he was discharging his role as executor of Irving Schelew’s estate. I would dismiss this ground of appeal.
(5) The “Order” of Justice Richard [ 36 ] As noted in the background
section of these reasons, the motion judge in rendering his decision found the appellants in contempt “as a result of their failure to abide by the court orders and decisions of Justice Morrison of the Court of Queen’s Bench and Justice Richard of the Court of Appeal”. The appellants point out, correctly, that: There was nothing ordered by Richard J.A. for the appellants to violate.
This should not have been in Ouellette J.’s mind as an aggravating or additional factor when concluding that the appellants were in contempt. [para. 105 Appellants’ Submission] [ 37 ] The position of the respondents is straightforward, and bears repeating: “whether the appellants breached four court orders or only three does not affect the outcome”. I agree.
To his credit, in oral argument counsel for the appellants acknowledged that little may turn on this point. [ 38 ] While the motion judge referred to the Court of Appeal decision, and incorrectly referred to the “order” of Richard J.A., it is of no consequence. The finding of contempt is well grounded in the refusal by the appellants to respect the orders which were unquestionably issued by the Court of Queen’s Bench. I do not for a moment accept the proposition that the outcome of the contempt motion, the sanctions imposed, or the costs awarded would have been any different had the judge confined his
comments to the three trial court orders only. C. Imposition of the $10,000 sanction [ 39 ] The motion judge, having found the appellants in contempt pursuant to Rule 76 of the Rules of Court , proceeded to impose what he considered to be an appropriate sanction: I find that Alan D. Schelew, considering his knowledge of the consequences of a contempt of court, should be sanctioned accordingly. I find as in RCBS the amount of $10,000.00 to be appropriate in the circumstances. There seems to be no other means to advance the matter. Alan D. Schelew’s actions were deliberate and he knew or should have known better.
It should […] be known to the legal community that court orders cannot be disobeyed with impunity and sanction will be stiff. As for Irving Schelew, I order his estate to pay the sum of $10,000.00 to sanction his contempt. [paras. 71-72] [ 40 ] As stated, the motion judge relied upon RCBS Holdings Incorporated v. East River Holdings Limited , 2013 NSSC 410 , [2013] N.S.J. No. 704 (QL). In that case, the Court held as follows: I must now determine a fit and proper sanction. The primary objective of a fair just sentence in contempt is one that will direct or coerce compliance with the original Order.
The law suggests that restraint must be applied. In that regard, I note that the primary contemnor here was the Company, East River. In addition, some flexibility in imposing the sanction is necessary to ensure future compliance. According to the evidence of Mr. Etter, the improper format and content of the financial statements was a major stumbling block in having the audit completed. Determining an appropriate sanction has not been an easy exercise. I have considered these factors in the exercise of my discretion.
The penalty, which I impose, for the findings of contempt against the Company and both Robert and Phillip Young is as follows:
a) Phillip Young and Robert Young shall each pay personally the sum of $10,000 for a total of $20,000 into Court within twenty days of this, my decision. The same is to be held pending completion of the terms of my Order. […] [para. 51] In order to provide further context for the above, I note that Phillip Young was a director of East River, and Robert Young a former director. [ 41 ] The appellants argue that the magnitude of the sanction “is a disproportionate punishment when considering the mitigating factors found in the documentary evidence surrounding the conduct of both Alan and Irving”.
The respondents counter by underscoring the significance of Alan Schelew’s position as an Officer of the Court who “clearly knew better but deliberately flouted Court Orders”. They further submit the sanction “was reasonable and appropriate in the circumstances to coerce compliance and deter any similar behaviour”. [ 42 ] In terms of New Brunswick jurisprudence, the most recent consideration of civil contempt, Calvy , is not instructive on this point, as “the only sanction pursued on appeal [was] an order for solicitor-client costs” (para. 31). That said, in PCO Services Corporation v.
Extermination Sanitation Nord-Est Inc. , 2010 NBQB 186 , 360 N.B.R. (2d) 266, McIntyre J. held: The penalty for contempt must take into account the nature of the non-compliance and the conduct of the offender. The penalty must be fitting in order to deter the offender and the public at large from disobeying orders of the Court so as to maintain the integrity, authority and respect for the administration of justice. [para. 27] [ 43 ] The decision of the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench in Zelazo v. Mason , [1992] A.J. No. 60 (Q.B.) (QL) , was cited by the respondents.
In that case, which involved a chartered accountant found in contempt of court, Justice Côté wrote:
I do not want professional or business people to think that they can buy their way of an injunction for a few thousand dollars. Those whoare the subject of injunctions often ask their lawyers what the penalty would be if they were to disobey; in effect, what are the odds. I donot want lawyers to have to say that there is a strong chance that costs or a small fine will be all the penalty in a premeditated case. [para.20] [44] A similar perspective was voiced by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in RegionalMunicipality of Niagara Police Services Board v. Curran, (ON SC), [2002] O.J.
No. 179 (S.C.J.) (QL): Where civil contempt is concerned, the ability to pay a fine is a crucial consideration in determining its size. A small fine for a wealthyperson is not a punishment. Deterrence is not achieved unless fines are imposed in meaningful amounts. A fine must be a punishment,not a nuisance. Where a fine is imposed it must, in all of the circumstances, reflect the seriousness of the contempt. I do not consider afine to be appropriate in this case. [para. 36] [45] Recall that in Carey v. Laiken, cited above, Cromwell J. accepts the observations of R. J.
Sharpein Injunctions and Specific Performance (2nd ed. (loose-leaf)), at ¶ 6.100: “Courts sometimes impose substantial fines to match thegravity of the contempt, to deter the contemnor’s continuing conduct and to deter others from comparable conduct”. [46] In the case at hand, the sanction imposed recognizes the seriousness of the contempt,specifically the repeated and deliberate frustration of the sale of the property in the face of definitive and unambiguous court orders, overan extended period of time.
The quantum of the sanction takes into account the positions occupied by the appellants, and their ability topay the amount imposed. Rule 76 makes clear the motion judge had the authority to impose a fine after a finding of contempt, and he didso. I see no basis for appellate interference, and would dismiss this ground of appeal. D.
Solicitor-Client Costs [47] There can be no question that solicitor-client costs are rarely awarded, but it is equally valid tostate that such costs are within the purview of the presiding judge in appropriate circumstances. [48] In Calvy, Quigg J.A. fully explores the direction provided by the Court on the imposition ofsolicitor-client costs.
I turn to the same set of precedents here, now significantly strengthened for our present purposes by her owndecision. [49] Robertson J.A. examined the awarding of solicitor-client costs in Doucet and Dauphinee v.Spielo Manufacturing Incorporated and Manship, 2011 NBCA 44, 372 N.B.R. (2d) 1. This was in the context of cases that did not, ashere, involve a contempt order: […] The notion of full indemnification persists, but usually in the context of an award for solicitor-client costs which is based onreprehensible, scandalous or outrageous conduct on the part of one of the parties: Young v.
Young, (SCC), [1993] 4S.C.R. 3, [1993] S.C.J. No. 112 (QL). Aside from the purpose of providing the successful party with indemnification, awards of costshave been used as a tool to influence the way in which the parties conduct themselves and to prevent abuse of the court’s process […][para. 117] [50] In Bossé v. Farm Credit Canada, 2014 NBCA 34, 419 N.B.R. (2d) 1, Richard J.A. affirmed theCourt’s decision in Sirois v. Centennial Pontiac Buick GMC Ltd. (1988), (NB CA), 89 N.B.R. (2d) 244, [1988] N.B.J.No. 407 (C.A.) (QL): The following statement of this Court, per Ryan J.A., in Sirois v.
Centennial Pontiac Buick GMC Ltd. […] continues to govern indetermining whether costs should be awarded on a solicitor and client basis:
Solicitor and client costs are awarded in rare and exceptional cases where the actions of one of the parties are onerous as against another party. Orkin, The Law of Costs (2nd ed. 1987), at pages 2-61 and 2-62 sets out the author's opinion along with a number of illustrations: Such orders are not to be made by way of damages, or on the view that the award of damages should reach the plaintiff intact, and are inappropriate where there has been no wrongdoing.
An award of costs on the solicitor-and-client scale, it has been said, is ordered only in rare and exceptional cases to mark the court's disapproval of the conduct of a party in the litigation.
Orders of this kind have been made where a litigant's conduct has been particularly blameworthy, for example, where there were allegations of fraud or impropriety either unproven or abandoned at trial; or wanton and scandalous charges; or allegations of perjury; or collusion; or where the responsible party perpetrated a fraud on the court, e.g., by preparing and presenting forged documents; or by filing a deliberately deceptive affidavit in support of an order without notice; or by concealing a document until trial and then relying on it; or prolonged the trial by engaging in obstructionist tactics; or brought motions without merit to exhaust an opponent's resources; or intentionally misled the court by giving false evidence as to material facts; or in contempt proceedings .
Solicitor-and-client costs have been awarded to the successful party where an action was without any foundation in law, or where an appeal was considered to be without merit; and in a libel action where fault was admitted, only the amount of damages being contested; or where a carrier failed to admit liability for the contamination of food until shortly before trial, although it had been aware of the facts much earlier; or where defendant in a wrongful dismissal action pleaded just cause without basis for the plea; or in an action for indemnification by an insured against his insurer where the insurer, in refusing to settle a personal injury claim had not used reasonable care for the protection of its insured, acted in bad faith and the plaintiff ought not to have had to bring the action. (para. 10) [para. 40] [Emphasis added.] [ 51 ] Deschênes J.A., writing for the Court in Boivin v.
MacDougall , 2005 NBCA 62 , 286 N.B.R. (2d) 57, considered costs awards in contempt matters. A costs award which is too low “risks undermining the effectiveness of Rule 76 and making a mockery of it”.
He goes on to point out the negative message transmitted by the courts for failing to impose significant costs, namely that a modest outlay of cash is simply “the price to pay for the ability to continue treating court orders nonchalantly” (para. 19). [ 52 ] As a result of Calvy , it can now be stated with certainty that the starting point with respect to costs following a finding of civil contempt is in fact solicitor-client.
Quigg J.A. states: As a general rule, where, as here, an innocent party is forced to initiate, and successfully prosecutes a claim for an order of contempt based upon an adverse party’s willful disobedience of an unambiguous court order, the interests of justice are best served be the application of a presumption in favour of solicitor-client costs. But for that presumption, the law would be burdening the innocent party with the task of establishing an entitlement to full indemnity from a party found guilty of contempt and against whom an order of contempt has been issued.
Such an onus is simply unfair; at the outset, the scales of justice according to law ought to be tipped in favour of the victim, not the wrongdoer. [para. 39] [ 53 ] Just as occurred in Calvy , the appellants in the present case have not successfully rebutted the presumption in favour of solicitor-client costs. As a result, I would not interfere with the motion judge’s decision. His imposition of costs on a solicitor-client basis is respectful of the applicable legal principles, and is deserving of deference. V.
Conclusion and Disposition [ 54 ] Having carefully considered all of the arguments advanced by the appellants with respect to the alleged errors in the decision of the motion judge, I see no scope for appellate intervention. Any mistakes of fact, even where palpable, were not overriding. The judge identified the applicable legal principles, conducted a thorough analysis, correctly applied the law to the facts, and rendered a judgment which was rational and reasonable in the circumstances. I would not disturb the finding of contempt, the sanction imposed, or the costs awarded.
In short, I would dismiss the appeal. [ 55 ] In keeping with the jurisprudence referred to above, I would order the appellants to pay costs on a solicitor-client basis. I note that in Calvy , this was not done, although the distinguishing feature is clear. Mrs. Calvy “obtained mixed success and, as such, it is not appropriate to order solicitor-client costs” (para. 45). Such is not the case here. The position of the
respondents prevailed, and the appellants were entirely unsuccessful. If agreement cannot be reached on the quantum of solicitor-client costs, they will, upon motion, be assessed by the Registrar. ____________________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. WE CONCUR: __________________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A. __________________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. Version française de la décision rendue par LE JUGE GREEN I.
Introduction [1] Les appelants sollicitent l’infirmation d’une conclusion d’outrage civil tirée par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de première instance, et l’annulation des peines qui leur ont été infligées ainsi que des dépens auxquels ils ont été condamnés par suite de cette conclusion. Pour les motifs exposés ci-dessous, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel. II. Le contexte [2] Les différentes parties au litige sous-jacent sont toutes membres de la même famille.
Leurs interactions concernant la succession de feu Abraham Lackman les ont finalement conduites devant les tribunaux de la province, à plus d’une reprise, comme nous le soulignerons ci-dessous. [3] M. Lackman est décédé en 1999 après avoir confié l’administration de sa succession à trois exécuteurs : sa fille Lillian Schelew, son petit-fils Jeffrey Schelew (les deux intimé
s) ainsi que son gendre Irving Schelew. Irving Schelew est décédé le 10 décembre 2013. Son testament désignait son fils, Alan Schelew, exécuteur testamentaire unique. [4] ’unanimité des exécuteurs était requise pour toutes les décisions touchant la succession, mais cette unanimité s’est révélée inaccessible en ce qui concerne le dernier avoir de la succession, un bien-fonds sis au 801-803, rue Main, à Moncton, au Nouveau-Brunswick.
[5] Les intimés sont depuis longtemps d’avis que ce bien devrait être vendu. Irving Schelew,quant à lui, pensait le contraire et s’opposait à la vente. L’appelant Alan Schelew, dont la compagnie, A.I.
Enterprises, gérait le bien enquestion, était du même avis que lui. [6] La frustration découlant de l’incapacité de parvenir à un consensus relativement à la vente dubien a amené les intimés à s’adresser aux tribunaux pour obtenir des directives. [7] Dans sa première ordonnance, datée du 22 mars 2011, le juge Morrison, de la Cour du Bancde la Reine, Division de première instance, a conclu qu’il était raisonnable de procéder à la vente du bien. Il a enjoint à Irving Schelewd’apporter son entière collaboration à cette fin.
Il a enjoint aux exécuteurs de se réunir afin de régler les questions se rapportant à lavente, y compris, notamment, la nécessité de supporter des dépenses en vue d’une évaluation. Pour le cas où les exécuteurs seraientincapables d’en arriver à une décision unanime, ils devaient revenir devant la Cour afin d’obtenir de nouvelles directives. [8] Le 4 septembre 2012, le même juge a entendu une motion découlant de l’ordonnance qu’ilavait précédemment rendue.
Les intimés ont alors sollicité une ordonnance prescrivant la vente du bien par la majorité des exécuteurs ou,subsidiairement, la destitution d’Irving Schelew de sa charge d’exécuteur. Bien qu’Irving Schelew n’ait pas déposé d’affidavit enréponse, Alan Schelew l’a fait en son nom. Alan Schelew a prétendu que c’était Irving qui avait essayé d’organiser une rencontre desexécuteurs, mais que les autres avaient refusé. [9] Le juge a examiné le volumineux dossier qui accompagnait la motion et a conclu qu’IrvingSchelew n’avait pas apporté son entière collaboration afin qu’il soit procédé à la vente du bien.
Sa décision datée du 22 octobre 2012comprend le passage suivant, qui est fort instructif : [TRADUCTION]Je ne ferai pas état de la volumineuse correspondance et des nombreux autres documents contenus dans le dossier qui accompagne lamotion. Après avoir examiné ces documents, il est manifeste à mes yeux qu’Irving Schelew n’a pas aidé à la vente du bien par unecollaboration et une participation entières. Au lieu de répondre aux lettres de l’avocat des requérants de façon directe et franche, il aobscurci le débat et a soulevé des questions de gestion connexes pour détourner l’attention.
La seule conclusion à laquelle on puisse enarriver est qu’Irving Schelew continue de susciter une opposition à la vente du bien, et de tenter d’en contrecarrer ou d’en reporter lavente. D’ailleurs, d’après les observations que son avocat a faites au cours du débat, il est clair qu’Irving Schelew souhaite remettre enlitige la question de l’opportunité de vendre le bien.
Une décision a été rendue sur ce point. [par. 9] [10] Comme il n’y avait pas eu de rencontre des exécuteurs conformément à son ordonnanceprécédente, le juge Morrison a donné aux exécuteurs [TRADUCTION] « une dernière fois la possibilité de se rencontrer et des’entendre » sur les questions relatives à la vente. Le juge n’était pas convaincu qu’il existait suffisamment de preuves pour justifier ladestitution d’Irving Schelew de sa charge d’exécuteur, s’appuyant à cet égard sur le raisonnement suivi dans la décision Black c. Gladstone Estate, 2005 NBQB 244 , 2005 NBBR 244, 285 R.N.-B. (2e) 148.
Il s’est toutefois réservé la compétenced’intervenir pour le cas où l’une ou l’autre des parties estimerait nécessaire d’obtenir de nouvelles instructions. [11] L’impasse a persisté. Le 20 février 2013, le juge Morrison a entendu une autre motion et il arendu une décision orale. Il a conclu que les décisions concernant la vente du bien seraient prises au moyen d’un vote majoritaire desexécuteurs. Il a également confirmé le choix d’un agent immobilier.
Le raisonnement qui fonde sa décision est clairement exposé : [TRADUCTION]Dans ma décision du 22 octobre 2012, j’ai indiqué que […] [Irving Schelew] ne collaborait pas à la vente du bien; j’ai aussi mentionnéqu’il continuait de susciter une opposition à la vente et qu’il tentait à ce moment-là de la contrecarrer. [I]l me faut conclure […] que sonopposition à la vente persiste.
Bon nombre des points de vue qu’il a exprimés lors de la réunion des exécuteurs testamentaires […]touchent, non pas les moyens de faciliter la vente, mais la pertinence de la vente en soi. [Irving Schelew] s’oppose toujours à la vente dece bien. À mon sens, il s’acharne à revenir sur la question de l’opportunité de sa vente. Je répète que la question ne se pose plus. Ladécision a été prise. J’estime que le processus de mise en vente s’est trouvé inutilement retardé. Les requérants ont gain de cause et [Irving Schelew] estpersonnellement condamné aux dépens de la motion, que je fixe à 1 500 $. [par. 16 et 17]
[12] Irving Schelew a interjeté appel de la décision du 20 février 2013 devant notre Cour. Il a sollicité, par voie d’avis de motion, la suspension de l’exécution de la décision. Dans une décision datée du 3 juillet 2013, le juge d’appel Richard a rejeté sa demande. Bien que la prolongation du délai imparti pour la mise en état de l’appel ait été accordée, l’appel lui-même n’a jamais été mené à terme. [13] Le
chapitre suivant de ce litige sans fin,
chapitre qui est au cœur de la présente instance, a consisté en un avis de motion qui a été déposé devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine le 21 octobre 2013 et dans lequel on demandait que les appelants (les intimés lors de l’audition de la motion) soient cités à comparaître pour outrage au tribunal conformément à la règle 76 des Règles de procédure [TRADUCTION] « par suite de leur refus de se conformer aux ordonnances judiciaires et aux décisions du juge Terrence J. Morrison datées des 22 mars 2011, 27 octobre 2012 et 20 février 2013 ainsi qu’à l’ordonnance du juge J.C.
Marc Richard datée du 3 juillet 2013 ». [14] Une audience a été tenue le 17 février 2014, devant un autre juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine. L’ensemble de la preuve a été reçue par voie d’affidavits et aucune des deux parties n’a demandé à contre-interroger les déposants. Plus précisément, la Cour a reçu et examiné les affidavits de Jeffrey Schelew, Daniel Babineau, évaluateur immobilier dûment autorisé dont les services avaient été retenus pour qu’il procède à l’évaluation du bien, Alan Schelew, Brent Corbin, qui avait été l’avocat d’Irving Schelew « pendant la plus grande
partie de la période pertinente [pour la motion] » et Carol Killen, la secrétaire juridique d’Alan Schelew. Je souligne, par souci de clarté, qu’Alan Schelew est membre praticien du Barreau du Nouveau-Brunswick. [15] La décision sur la motion pour outrage est datée du 18 juin 2014. Voici les conclusions du juge saisi de la motion : [TRADUCTION] La Cour n’éprouve aucune difficulté à conclure que les actes d’Irving Schelew et d’Alan D. Schelew constituent un outrage au tribunal en raison de leur désobéissance répétée et continue aux ordonnances en question et de leur entrave au cours normal de la justice.
Il ne fait aucun doute qu’Irving Schelew et Alan D. Schelew ont agi avec la mens rea nécessaire, étant donné qu’ils étaient au courant de la teneur des ordonnances et qu’ils ont intentionnellement commis des actes qui ont rendu l’évaluation impossible à effectuer. La Cour conclut qu’Irving Schelew et Alan D.
Schelew sont coupables d’outrage conformément à la règle 76 des Règles de procédure par suite de leur refus de respecter les ordonnances et les décisions du juge Morrison, de notre Cour, et du juge Richard, de la Cour d’appel. [par. 66 à 68.] [16] S’agissant de la détermination des peines appropriées, le juge saisi de la motion a condamné Alan Schelew et la succession d’Irving Schelew à payer 10 000 $ chacun. Les dépens ont été accordés sur la base des frais entre avocat et client.
L’évaluateur, Daniel Babineau, s’est vu accorder un accès immédiat au bien afin d’effectuer l’évaluation. [17] Les appelants contestent la conclusion d’outrage au tribunal, la peine infligée et l’attribution des dépens sur la base des frais entre avocat et client. III. Les questions à trancher [18] Les moyens d’appel invoqués par les appelants sont nombreux.
Toutefois, le mémoire des appelants a ramené les moyens invoqués à une série de questions plus facile à traiter, savoir plus précisément : (1) le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis des erreurs justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision dans ses conclusions de fait et ses conclusions sur la crédibilité? (2) le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis des erreurs de droit en concluant que les appelants étaient coupables d’outrage? (3) le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur dans sa détermination d’une peine juste? (4) le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur dans l’attribution des dépens?
Ce sont là les questions dont les appelants ont traité dans leur argumentation orale, et ce sont les seules questions que je trancherai dans la présente décision. [19] Dans son argumentation orale, l’avocat des appelants, qui n’était pas leur avocat en première
instance, s’est montré honnête et franc en faisant principalement porter ses observations sur la conclusion d’outrage tirée à l’encontre d’Alan Schelew. Il a souligné qu’une conclusion d’outrage civil tirée à l’encontre d’un membre expérimenté du Barreau était une affaire particulièrement grave. IV. Analyse et droit A.
Les présumées erreurs dans les conclusions de fait et les conclusions sur la crédibilité que le juge saisi de la motion a tirées [20] Les appelants contestent quatre conclusions de fait tirées par le juge saisi de la motion, qu’ils recensent sous les rubriques suivantes : (1) les événements du 16 août 2013; (2) la lettre du 29 avril 2013; (3) les appels téléphoniques d’Alan Schelew à la suite de la lettre du 29 avril 2013; et (4) la lettre du 19 décembre 2013.
Le premier élément de cette liste est sans doute celui qui requiert la plus grande attention, puisqu’il concerne une erreur manifeste de la part du juge saisi de la motion, erreur que les intimés reconnaissent.
(1) Les événements du 16 août 2013 [21] Le vendredi 16 août 2013, à 14 h 03, Alan Schelew a envoyé à Daniel Babineau un courriel dans lequel il l’invitait à procéder à l’évaluation du bien cet après-midi-là. M. Babineau n’était pas libre et l’évaluation n’a pas été effectuée. [22] Les appelants invoquent l’absence d’éléments de preuve susceptibles d’appuyer la conclusion du juge saisi de la motion selon laquelle au moment où Alan Schelew a lancé cette invitation, il savait fort bien que M. Babineau ne serait pas en mesure d’accepter et d’évaluer le bien.
Ils soulignent deux paragraphes bien précis de la décision à l’appui de leur prétention : [TRADUCTION] Pour commencer par l’affidavit d’Alan D. Schelew, je ne le crois pas lorsqu’il déclare avoir téléphoné à de nombreuses reprises à Daniel Babineau dans le but d’essayer de procéder à l’évaluation, et je ne crois pas non plus qu’il ignorait que Daniel Babineau n’était pas libre pour venir inspecter le bien le 16 août 2014 [ sic , lire 2013]. Si cette dernière déclaration était véridique, ne serait-il pas raisonnable de s’attendre à ce qu’Alan D.
Schelew propose une autre date lorsqu’il a découvert que l’évaluateur n’était pas libre. [par. 33] Dans la lettre datée du 19 décembre 2013 qu’il a adressée à Daniel Babineau après avoir reçu signification du présent avis de motion pour outrage, Alan D. Schelew veut confirmer son offre d’inviter M. Babineau à venir au bâtiment le 16 août 2013. Il convient de mentionner qu’avant que cette invitation ne soit faite à Daniel Babineau, ce dernier avait, un peu plus tôt dans la journée, informé Alan D.
Schelew par courriel qu’il n’était pas disponible pour une inspection du bâtiment pendant l’après-midi du 16 août 2013. Par pure coïncidence, Alan D. Schelew a offert de procéder à l’inspection cet après-midi-là. Dans son affidavit, Alan D. Schelew déclare qu’il n’avait pas connaissance de ce courriel de Daniel Babineau. Cela est difficile à croire dans un tel contexte. [par. 63] [23] La preuve établit clairement que le courriel de M. Babineau a été envoyé après celui d’Alan Schelew, et non avant.
Il s’agit là d’une erreur manifeste de la part du juge saisi de la motion, mais, à mon avis, pas d’une erreur dominante susceptible de justifier l’intervention de la cour d’appel. Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu que lorsqu’il a lancé l’invitation en question, le 16 août, Alan Schelew savait que M. Babineau ne serait pas libre. En fait, le juge saisi de la motion disposait de suffisamment d’éléments de preuve pour étayer cette conclusion, savoir notamment les éléments de preuve suivants : • Le 16 juillet 2013, M.
Babineau a envoyé à Alan Schelew un courriel dans lequel il disait préférer effectuer l’inspection n’importe quand du lundi au jeudi parce qu’il prenait habituellement congé le vendredi pendant l’été; • Le 24 juillet 2013, Alan Schelew a informé M. Babineau qu’il avait besoin d’un préavis de 48 heures avant toute inspection du bien; • Le 24 juillet 2013, M. Babineau a demandé à Alan Schelew, par courriel, de donner un préavis de 48 heures aux locataires du bien en vue d’une inspection (qui n’a pas eu lieu), ce qui confirmait que M. Babineau était disposé à fixer le moment de l’inspection en
respectant le protocole voulant qu’il donne un préavis de 48 heures . M. Babineau a également dit qu’au cours de la semaine suivante, il ne serait libre que [TRADUCTION] « lundi, mercredi et jeudi, toute la journée, ou vendredi matin »; • Le 31 juillet 2013, Alan Schelew, dans un courriel envoyé par sa secrétaire juridique, Carol Killen, a voulu savoir si M. Babineau serait [TRADUCTION] « libre à court préavis », nonobstant le protocole relatif au préavis de 48 heures.
Contrairement à la prétention des appelants selon laquelle [TRADUCTION] « Babineau a accepté de s’adapter au fait que [Alan Schelew] devait fixer des rendez-vous à court préavis », M. Babineau n’a pas accepté de renoncer au protocole voulant qu’un préavis de 48 heures soit donné. M. Babineau a plutôt répondu qu’il avait des rendez-vous, mais a toutefois dit de [TRADUCTION] « demander à [M. Schelew] de [l’]appeler et qu[’il] ferait tout [son] possible pour [s’]adapter à son emploi du temps ».
Aucune autre discussion ou entente concernant d’éventuels ajustements au protocole voulant qu’un préavis de 48 heures soit donné n’a eu lieu puisque ni Alan Schelew ni Carol Killen n’ont téléphoné ou répondu par courriel à la demande de M. Babineau. Le courriel suivant, daté du 2 août 2013, que M. Babineau a reçu du bureau d’Alan Schelew disait simplement que [TRADUCTION] « [m]alheureusement, [Alan Schelew] a de nouveau dû quitter la ville aujourd’hui »; • Le 8 août 2013, avant 9 h 09, Alan Schelew a reçu de M.
Babineau un message par messagerie vocale demandant qu’Alan Schelew le rappelle afin qu’ils puissent fixer un rendez-vous au cours de la semaine suivante, celle du 12 au 16 août 2013. Dans ce message vocal, M. Babineau a dit qu’il était libre [TRADUCTION] « tous les jours à n’importe quelle heure ». Toutefois, Alan Schelew n’a pas rappelé M. Babineau afin de fixer ce rendez-vous. • Le vendredi 16 août 2013, à 14 h 03, après avoir attendu huit jours depuis la réception du message vocal de M.
Babineau, Alan Schelew, dans un courriel envoyé par Carol Killen, a essayé de fixer le rendez-vous plus tard le même après-midi (ou ce qu’il en restait). Alan Schelew a agi de la sorte malgré le fait que c’était lui qui avait proposé le protocole voulant qu’un préavis de 48 heures soit donné, auquel M. Babineau n’avait pas accepté de renoncer, et malgré le fait qu’il avait été informé que M. Babineau [TRADUCTION] « prend habituellement congé le vendredi pendant l’été ». • Le 3 septembre 2013, Alan Schelew a contrecarré une nouvelle tentative de M. Babineau en vue de fixer le rendez-vous en exigeant de M.
Babineau qu’il obtienne l’autorisation (sous la forme d’une lettre de Lillian Schelew) d’effectuer l’évaluation même que Alan Schelew prétend avoir essayé d’inscrire à l’horaire le 16 août 2013. Une fois la lettre écrite, M. Babineau a fait une nouvelle tentative en vue de fixer le rendez-vous, mais Carol Killen l’a informé qu’Alan Schelew était parti en vacances jusqu’au 16 ou 17 octobre 2013. Il est donc évident qu’Alan Schelew s’est donné beaucoup de mal afin de contrecarrer toute tentative en vue de fixer le moment de l’évaluation requise.
(2) Les autres présumées erreurs de fait [24] On ne gagnerait pas grand-chose, à mon sens, à examiner dans le détail les autres présumées erreurs relatives aux conclusions de fait. J’estime que le dossier contient des éléments de preuve qui étayent les conclusions du juge saisi de la motion. Dans les cas où une erreur aurait, prétend-on, été commise, celle-ci ne relève pas de la catégorie des erreurs manifestes et dominantes susceptibles de justifier l’intervention en appel.
(3) Les conclusions sur la crédibilité [25] Pour ce qui concerne les conclusions en matière de crédibilité, le juge saisi de la motion a correctement exposé les principes applicables. Il a indiqué s’être laissé guider par ce qui suit dans ses délibérations : [TRADUCTION] Aucune des parties n’a demandé la permission de contre-interroger l’un des déposants et la Cour n’a pas eu l’avantage d’entendre les témoins rendre témoignage de vive voix. Quoi qu’il en soit, la concordance ou la non-concordance constitue un facteur important.
Lorsqu’un déposant fournit un témoignage concernant un fait donné, plus son témoignage correspond aux faits connus et établis, plus on a tendance à croire son témoignage; moins ce témoignage correspond à ces faits, moins on a tendance à le croire. J’ai lu et examiné séparément chacun des affidavits. J’en ai fait un examen critique et une analyse rationnelle. Je me suis posé la question
de savoir si le témoignage est intrinsèquement raisonnable et s’il est raisonnable aussi à la lumière des faits admis et d’autres témoignages crédibles. L’incohérence et les lacunes sur des questions déterminantes susceptibles de miner la fiabilité du témoignage d’un déposant et la crédibilité de celui-ci, ainsi que l’existence d’éléments contradictoires, sont des facteurs importants que j’ai pris en considération pour décider du poids qu’il fallait accorder à ce témoignage. Comme on le verra, j’ai accepté l’ensemble ou une
partie du témoignage d’un déposant ou je l’ai rejeté au complet en tirant mes conclusions. Il était important de faire la distinction entre la crédibilité d’un témoin et la fiabilité qu’il fallait accorder à son témoignage. Il fallait que je scrute la déposition de chaque témoin afin de décider s’il s’efforçait de dire la vérité.
En ce qui concerne la fiabilité, un affidavit peut être crédible, mais, pour diverses raisons, l’exactitude factuelle de ce que dit le témoin peut être douteuse et peut ne pas être digne de foi. [par. 29 à 32.] [26] Appliquant le cadre exposé ci-dessus à la preuve produite devant lui, le juge saisi de la motion a ensuite analysé les différents affidavits. Cela fait, il a tiré les conclusions suivantes : [TRADUCTION] Ni le témoignage d’Alan D. Schelew ni celui de M e Brent Corbin n’étaient fiables. Ils manquaient de cohérence tant externe qu’interne; une
partie de ces témoignages n’était pas raisonnable dans les circonstances et leur sens de l’observation et leur aptitude à se rappeler des événements étaient loin d’être aiguisés. J’accepte les témoignages de Jeffrey Schelew et de Daniel Babineau qui sont à la fois crédibles et fiables. Leur témoignage est cohérent tant sur le plan interne qu’externe. Il correspond aux faits connus et établis. Leur sens de l’observation et leur aptitude à se rappeler des événements semblaient bons. Il n’y a pas de contradiction dans leur témoignage qui, dans une certaine mesure, est confirmé en
partie par les témoignages d’Alan D. Schelew et de M e Brent Corbin. Pour les besoins de la présente affaire, notre Cour trouve l’affidavit de M e Brent Corbin peu utile pour lui permettre de ne pas tirer une conclusion d’outrage au tribunal contre Irving Schelew et Alan D. Schelew. Bien au contraire, il étaye une conclusion d’outrage. Quoi qu’il en soit, en cas de divergence entre les témoignages du requérant et de Daniel Babineau et ceux de l’intimé par l’entremise de M e Brent Corbin et d’Alan D.
Schelew, ma préférence va à ceux de Jeffrey Schelew et de Daniel Babineau pour les motifs énoncés plus haut. [par. 38 et 41] [27] Pour ma part, je suis satisfait de la démarche que le juge saisi de la motion a adoptée. Il était fondé à tirer les conclusions auxquelles il est arrivé et celles-ci trouvaient appui dans la preuve. C’est au juge saisi de la motion qu’il incombait d’apprécier la crédibilité des déposants et j’estime qu’il s’est convenablement acquitté de cette responsabilité. Je suis d’avis de ne pas intervenir. B.
Les présumées erreurs dans la conclusion d’outrage que le juge saisi de la motion a tirée
(1) Les règles de droit en matière d’outrage [28] Les règles de droit qui régissent l’outrage au Canada, et plus précisément au Nouveau- Brunswick, sont sans aucun doute plus claires aujourd’hui qu’elles ne l’étaient au moment où le juge saisi de la motion a rendu la décision qui fait l’objet du présent appel. Cela s’explique par deux raisons principales : la décision de la Cour suprême dans l’affaire Carey c. Laiken , 2015 CSC 17 , [2015] 2 R.C.S. 79, motifs du juge Cromwell, et la décision subséquente de notre Cour dans l’affaire Calvy c.
Calvy , 2015 NBCA 53 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 202 (QL), la juge d’appel Quigg au nom de la Cour. Cela dit, et bien que le juge saisi de la motion n’ait pas eu l’avantage de pouvoir s’appuyer sur l’un ou l’autre de ces arrêts pour guider ses délibérations, j’estime que la façon dont il a tranché l’instance est conforme aux deux arrêts. [29] Dans l’arrêt Carey c. Laiken , le juge Cromwell examine l’outrage civil et il énonce trois
éléments constitutifs de l’outrage dont l’existence doit être établie hors de tout doute raisonnable : L’outrage au tribunal « repos[e] sur le pouvoir de la cour de maintenir sa dignité et sa procédure. [. . .] La primauté du droit estdirectement tributaire de la capacité des tribunaux de faire observer leur procédure et de maintenir leur dignité et le respect qui leur estdû » : United Nurses of Alberta c. Alberta (Procureur général), (SCC), [1992] 1 R.C.S. 901, p. 931. Il est bien établiqu’une ordonnance pour outrage au tribunal est « avant tout une déclaration qu’une
partie a transgressé une ordonnance judiciaire » : ProSwing Inc. c. Elta Golf Inc., 2006 CSC 52, [2006] 2 R.C.S. 612, par. 35, cité dans Bell ExpressVu Limited Partnership c. Torroni, 2009ONCA 85, 94 O.R. (3d) 614, par. 20. La common law a évolué et reconnaît maintenant deux formes d’outrage au tribunal : l’outrage criminel et l’outrage civil. La distinction,qu’acceptent les parties au présent pourvoi, repose sur l’élément de transgression publique qui accompagne l’outrage criminel : voir, p.ex, United Nurses, p. 931; Poje c. Attorney General for British Columbia, (SCC), [1953] 1 R.C.S. 516, p. 522.
L’outragecivil, qui ne suppose aucune transgression publique, a, de façon générale, une dimension [TRADUCTION] « avant tout coercitive plutôtque punitive : R. J. Sharpe, Injunctions and Specific Performance, (2e éd. (feuilles mobiles)), ¶ 6.100. Cependant, la condamnation à dessanctions dans les cas d’outrage civil a notamment pour objectif de punir la violation d’une ordonnance judiciaire : Chiang (Trustee of) c.Chiang, 2009 ONCA 3, 305 D.L.R. (4th) 655, par. 117.
Les tribunaux infligent parfois de lourdes amendes dans le but d’établir unecorrespondance avec la gravité de l’outrage, de mettre un terme à la conduite de l’auteur de l’outrage et de dissuader autrui d’adopter uneconduite semblable : Sharpe, ¶ 6.100. L’outrage civil comporte trois éléments, qui doivent être établis hors de tout doute raisonnable : Prescott-Russell Services for Childrenand Adults c. G. (N.) (2006), (ON CA), 82 O.R. (3d) 686 (C.A.), par. 27; College of Optometrists, par. 71;Bhatnager c.
Canada (Ministre de l’Emploi et de l’Immigration), (SCC), [1990] 2 R.C.S. 217, p. 224-225; Jackson c.Honey, 2009 BCCA 112, 267 B.C.A.C. 210, par. 12-13; TG Industries Ltd. c. Williams, 2001 NSCA 105, 196 N.S.R. (2d) 35, par. 17 et32; Godin c. Godin, 2012 NSCA 54, 317 N.S.R. (2d) 204, par. 47; Soper c. Gaudet, 2011 NSCA 11, 298 N.S.R. (2d) 303, par. 23. Cestrois éléments, conjugués à une norme de preuve plus rigoureuse, aident à assurer que les conséquences pénales qu’entraîne uneconclusion d’outrage soient imposées seulement dans les cas appropriés : Bell ExpressVu, par. 22; Chiang, par. 10-11.
Le premier élément veut que l’ordonnance dont on allègue la violation [TRADUCTION] « formule de manière claire et non équivoquece qui doit et ne doit pas être fait » : Prescott-Russell, par. 27; Bell ExpressVu, par. 28, citant avec approbation Jaskhs Enterprises Inc. c.Indus Corp., (C.S.J. Ont.), p. 40. Cette exigence de clarté garantit qu’une personne ne sera pas reconnue coupabled’outrage lorsqu’une ordonnance n’est pas claire : Pro Swing, par. 24; Bell ExpressVu, par. 22.
Il peut être établi qu’une ordonnance n’estpas claire si, par exemple, il manque un détail essentiel sur l’endroit, le moment ou l’individu visé par l’ordonnance, si elle est formuléeen des termes trop larges ou si des circonstances extérieures ont obscurci son sens : Culligan Canada Ltd. c. Fettes, 2010 SKCA 151, 326D.L.R. (4th) 463, par. 21. Le deuxième élément veut que la
partie à qui on reproche d’avoir violé l’ordonnance doive avoir été réellement au courant de sonexistence : Bhatnager, p. 226; College of Optometrists, par. 71. Il est possible de conclure à la connaissance de l’ordonnance dans lescirconstances ou d’imputer la responsabilité à la personne à qui on reproche l’outrage en se fondant sur le principe de l’aveuglementvolontaire (ibid.). Enfin, la personne qui aurait commis la violation doit avoir intentionnellement commis un acte interdit par l’ordonnance ouintentionnellement omis de commettre un acte comme elle l’exige : Sheppard c.
Sheppard (1976), (ON CA), 12 O.R.(2d) 4 (C.A.), p. 8. La signification de cet élément est une des principales questions soulevées dans le présent pourvoi et je vaisl’examiner plus en détail ci-après. Le pouvoir en matière d’outrage est discrétionnaire et les tribunaux ont toujours refusé de l’exercer de façon routinière pour fairerespecter des ordonnances judiciaires : voir, p. ex., Hefkey c. Hefkey, 2013 ONCA 44, 30 R.F.L. (7th) 65, par. 3.
S’il est trop facile deconclure à un outrage au tribunal, il [TRADUCTION] « pourrait être perçu comme autant de fanfaronnades qui seraient susceptiblesultimement de déconsidérer le rôle et l’autorité du pouvoir judiciaire qu’il vise précisément à protéger » : Centre commercial LesRivières ltée c. Jean Bleu inc., 2012 QCCA 1663, par. 7. Comme la Cour l’a confirmé, « l’outrage au tribunal ne peut être réduit à unsimple moyen d’exécution des jugements » : Vidéotron Ltée c. Industries Microlec Produits Électroniques Inc., (SCC),[1992] 2 R.C.S. 1065, p. 1078, citant Daigle c.
St-Gabriel-de-Brandon (Paroisse), (QC CA), [1991] R.D.J. 249 (C.A.Qc). Le pouvoir en cette matière devrait plutôt être exercé [TRADUCTION] « avec prudence et avec une grande réserve » : TGIndustries, par. 32. Il s’agit en outre d’un pouvoir qui ne doit être exercé qu’en dernier recours : Hefkey, par. 3; St. Elizabeth HomeSociety c. Hamilton (City), 2008 ONCA 182, 89 O.R. (3d) 81, par. 41-43; Centre commercial Les Rivières ltée, par. 64. [par. 30 à 36]
(2) Les conclusions du juge saisi de la motion
[30] Le juge saisi de la motion a énoncé les quatre éléments de l’outrage civil qui doivent être établis hors de tout doute raisonnable : [TRADUCTION] 1. les conditions de l’ordonnance doivent être claires et non équivoques; 2. la personne qui commet l’outrage doit avoir été dûment avisée de la teneur de l’ordonnance; 3. il faut qu’il soit clairement établi que les conditions de l’ordonnance n’ont pas été respectées par la personne qui commet l’outrage; 4. la mens rea nécessaire doit être présente. [par. 48] [31] Le juge saisi de la motion a appliqué les règles de droit aux faits et il n’a éprouvé aucune difficulté à conclure que les appelants étaient coupables d’outrage : [TRADUCTION] Dans l’ensemble, je conclus qu’aucun des affidavits que les intimés ont présentés dans le cadre de la présente motion ne renferme des faits fiables susceptibles de constituer une défense contre une demande d’ordonnance pour outrage, et ne soulève un doute quant au fait qu’Irving Schelew et Alan D.
Schelew ont intentionnellement désobéi à des ordonnances judiciaires respectivement rendues les 22 mars 2011, 22 octobre 2012 et 20 février 2013. La Cour n’éprouve aucune difficulté à conclure que les actes d’Irving Schelew et d’Alan D. Schelew constituent un outrage au tribunal en raison de leur désobéissance répétée et continue aux ordonnances en question et de leur entrave au cours normal de la justice. Il ne fait aucun doute qu’Irving Schelew et Alan D.
Schelew ont agi avec la mens rea nécessaire, étant donné qu’ils étaient au courant de la teneur des ordonnances et qu’ils ont intentionnellement commis des actes qui ont rendu l’évaluation impossible à effectuer. La Cour conclut qu’Irving Schelew et Alan D. Schelew sont coupables d’outrage conformément à la règle 76 des Règles de procédure par suite de leur refus de respecter les ordonnances et les décisions du juge Morrison, de notre Cour, et du juge Richard, de la Cour d’appel. [par. 65 à 68]
(3) Rien ne justifie l’intervention de la cour d’appel [32] C’est aux appelants qu’incombe la charge d’établir que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision. Je ne vois aucune erreur de cette nature. Le juge saisi de la motion était convaincu hors de tout doute raisonnable que l’on avait prouvé l’existence des éléments constitutifs de l’outrage civil.
Plus précisément, il a conclu que les conditions des différentes ordonnances judiciaires étaient claires et non équivoques, que les deux appelants connaissaient la teneur des ordonnances, que les conditions des ordonnances n’avaient pas été respectées et que les appelants avaient agi délibérément et intentionnellement, sachant fort bien qu’ils passaient outre aux instructions de la Cour.
(4) L’interprétation et l’application de la règle 10.01(2)c) [33] Les appelants prétendent que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur de droit dans la façon dont il a interprété et appliqué la règle 10.01(2)
c) des Règles de procédure , laquelle est ainsi rédigée :
10.01 Proceedings by or against an Estate or Trust where there is a personal Representative or Trustee
(1) A proceeding may be brought by or against an executor, administrator or trustee as representing the estate or trust of which he is the personal representative or trustee and as representing the persons beneficially interested without joining such persons as parties. (2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to a proceeding […] (
c) against an executor, administrator or trustee for fraud or maladministration, or […] 10.01 Instance intentée par ou contre une succession ou une fiducie avec représentant personnel ou fiduciaire
(1) Une instance peut être intentée par ou contre un exécuteur, un administrateur ou un fiduciaire en leur qualité de représentant de la succession ou de la fiducie et de représentant des personnes qui y ont un intérêt à
titre bénéficiaire, sans joindre ces derniers comme parties à l’instance.
(2) Le paragraphe (1) ne s’applique à aucune instance intentée […]
c) contre un exécuteur, un administrateur ou un fiduciaire pour fraude ou mauvaise administration ou […] [34] La prétention qu’avancent les appelants est que la présente instance est [TRADUCTION] « entièrement fondée sur la prétendue mauvaise administration de la part d’Irving » et que, par conséquent, conformément à l