2020 NBCA 69, 2020 NBCA 69
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 43-20-CA JOSHUA WILLIAM KITCHEN APPELLANT JOSHUA WILLIAM KITCHEN APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Kitchen v. R., 2020 NBCA 69 Kitchen c.
R., 2020 NBCA 69 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LaVigne CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: May 2, 2019 (conviction) July 18, 2019 (sentence) Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : le 2 mai 2019 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 18 juillet 2019 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard and judgment rendered: September 17, 2020 Appel entendu et jugement rendu : le 17 septembre 2020 Reasons delivered : November 26, 2020 Motifs déposés : le 26 novembre 2020 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green
Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LaVigne Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Margaret Gallagher, Q.C. For the respondent: Kathryn Gregory, Q.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Margaret Gallagher, c.r. Pour l’intimée : Kathryn Gregory, c.r. THE COURT The appeal against the conviction is allowed. Acquittals are entered on the charges of robbery and break, enter and theft. A new trial is ordered on the charges of aggravated assault, breach of probation, and breach of an undertaking.
LA COUR L’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité est accueilli. L’acquittement est prononcé à l’égard des chefs d’accusation de vol qualifié et d’introduction par effraction et de vol. La tenue d’un nouveau procès est ordonnée à l’égard des chefs d’accusation de voies de fait graves, de défaut de se conformer à une ordonnance de probation et de manquement aux conditions d’une promesse. The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] On May 2, 2019, Joshua William Kitchen and his co-accused, Liam McLatchy, were convicted by a judge of the Provincial Court of robbery ( s. 344(1) (
b) of the Criminal Code ); break, enter and theft ( s. 348(1) (d)); and aggravated assault ( s. 268(2) ). Furthermore, Mr. Kitchen was convicted of breach of probation (s. 733.1) and breach of an undertaking (s. 145(3) (b)). [ 2 ] In a decision reported at McLatchy v. R. , 2020 NBCA 29 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 143 (QL) , Mr. McLatchy successfully appealed his conviction. On the basis of that decision, Mr. Kitchen filed his own appeal, which was heard by the Court and allowed on September 17, 2020, with reasons to follow. These are said reasons. II. Background
[ 3 ] On December 18, 2018, Mr. Kitchen wished to retrieve a set of speakers he believed to be his from one Joseph Sturgeon. Before going to Mr. Sturgeon’s apartment, Mr. Kitchen asked his friend Mr. McLatchy to accompany him. The pair entered Mr. Sturgeon’s apartment through the open door. A disagreement arose between Mr. Kitchen and Mr. Sturgeon over the ownership of the speakers, which escalated to a physical altercation during which Mr. Kitchen struck and injured Mr. Sturgeon with a pipe. Mr. McLatchy was not involved in the altercation. [ 4 ] In the context of this appeal, it is important to note Mr.
Kitchen’s evidence at trial was that Mr. Sturgeon had been the first to wield and swing a pipe and that he was acting in self-defence when he retaliated. Mr. McLatchy’s testimony also identified Mr. Sturgeon as the instigator. [ 5 ] Mr. Kitchen and Mr. McLatchy left the apartment without the speakers; however, shortly thereafter, Mr. Kitchen returned unaccompanied to retrieve an item or items he had inadvertently left behind. When leaving Mr. Sturgeon’s apartment this second time, Mr. Kitchen took Mr. Sturgeon’s cellular phone. [ 6 ] Charges were laid against both Mr. Kitchen and Mr.
McLatchy as outlined above, and both were convicted. Two appeals followed: the first, by Mr. McLatchy, and the second, which is the matter now before us. [ 7 ] At the conclusion of the hearing of Mr. Kitchen’s appeal, the Court rendered an oral decision as follows: In this matter, the Crown concedes that Mr. Kitchen is also entitled to acquittals on the charges of robbery and break, enter and theft, for the reasons articulated in McLatchy . The Crown further concedes that Mr.
Kitchen is entitled to a new trial on the charges of aggravated assault, breach of probation, and breach of an undertaking, on the basis “the defence of self-defence was not properly addressed by the trial judge.” In our view, the Crown’s concessions are well founded. The appeal against conviction is allowed. Acquittals are entered on the charges of robbery and break, enter and theft. A new trial is ordered on the charges of aggravated assault, breach of probation, and breach of an undertaking. [paras. 3-6] III.
Issues and Analysis [ 8 ] This case presents one of those infrequent criminal appeals in which both the convicted appellant and the respondent Crown are in complete agreement: errors were made at trial requiring appellate intervention. They also agree on the appropriate disposition. This, however, is not in and of itself sufficient to end the matter. The Court has an obligation to satisfy itself the shared position advanced by the parties is correct at law. We are required to do more than simply acquiesce. In this instance, my colleagues and I all agreed the parties were, and are, correct. I shall explain. A.
Grounds of Appeal [ 9 ] Mr. Kitchen has advanced three issues for the Court’s consideration. He alleges the trial judge erred: 1. In failing to properly consider whether on the whole of the evidence, the Crown had established guilt on the charges of robbery and break and enter beyond a reasonable doubt, resulting in an unreasonable verdict;
2. In failing to properly consider and apply the law relating to self-defence as raised by Mr. Kitchen in relation to the charge of aggravated assault; [and] 3. In failing to allow evidence of the complainant’s propensity for violence, in accord with the law set out in R. v. Scopelliti (1982) 14 O.R. (2d) 524 . B. The charges of robbery and break, enter and theft [ 10 ] In McLatchy , the Court found as follows: While the trial judge generally accepted the testimony of the occupant, she did not reject all the defence evidence. The judge accepted that Mr.
McLatchy accompanied his friend to retrieve the speakers his friend claimed were his; she accepted that their “plan” did not contemplate violence; and, importantly, the judge found ownership of the speakers was “unclear,” acknowledging they may well have been owned by Mr. McLatchy’s friend. In our view, these findings lead to the inescapable conclusion that, had the judge analyzed the case as she should have, she would have had to acquit. Having failed to establish Mr.
McLatchy’s friend did not have a claim to ownership of the speakers, the Crown cannot successfully maintain having proven beyond a reasonable doubt Mr. McLatchy’s belief was not honestly held. As to the charge of aggravated assault, upon the judge accepting that the “plan” to retrieve the speakers did not contemplate violence, there was simply no evidence that could justify convicting Mr. McLatchy of that offence. The trial judge accepted the testimony of the occupant that Mr. McLatchy’s friend became the aggressor only after being told he could not take the speakers.
On those facts, the conviction against the friend may have merit, but, on the evidence, Mr. McLatchy played no role whatsoever in the altercation. In sum, we agree with Crown counsel’s statement that the trial judge “appears to have focused exclusively on the issue of credibility to determine whether the offences were made out.” The judge failed to examine her findings of fact through an appropriate analytical lens in order to determine whether the Crown had proven all the elements of each offence. In our view, had she done so, she could not reasonably have convicted Mr.
McLatchy. [paras. 9-11] [Emphasis added.] The friend referred to throughout this passage is, of course, Mr. Kitchen. [ 11 ] Given the above, with respect to the speakers, the obvious conclusion is that the trial judge would have had to acquit Mr. Kitchen also on the charges of robbery and break, enter and theft. The Crown concedes this point. [ 12 ] The cellular telephone, which Mr. Kitchen maintained he picked up by accident when retrieving his own belongings, is somewhat more problematic. While the trial judge appropriately found “the evidence heard at trial did not suggest in any way that Mr.
McLatchy was part of this plan or knew of this plan or participated in any effort to take or maintain or dispose of the telephone”, she concluded with respect to Mr. Kitchen: “I therefore find him guilty in relation to the telephone.” Parenthetically, I would note the use of the word “plan” regarding the taking of the phone was something of an overstatement. Before this Court, the Crown did not separate the cellular phone from the speakers, and simply requested that Mr. Kitchen be acquitted on the charges of robbery and break, enter and theft.
In coming to that same conclusion, the Court chose not to quibble over the matter of the phone. [ 13 ] This leaves the charge of aggravated assault and, by extension, the charges of breach of probation and breach of an undertaking. Both appellate counsel and Crown counsel contend these charges should be the subject of a new trial. We agreed. C. The charge of aggravated assault and the defence of self-defence [ 14 ] With respect to the charge of aggravated assault, Mr. Kitchen advanced the defence of self- defence before the trial judge, alleging that Mr.
Sturgeon was the aggressor and he had merely been reacting to that aggression to protect
himself from harm. [15] As stated in McLatchy: As a matter of law, a trial judge without a jury has an obligation to consider all defences that have an air of reality. Whether or not onedoes is determined by the judge asking whether the evidence put forward is such that, if believed, it could lead to an acquittal: R. v.Osolin, (SCC), [1993] 4 S.C.R. 595, [1993] S.C.J. No. 135 (QL), at p. 682. “In applying the air of reality test, a trialjudge considers the totality of the evidence, and assumes the evidence relied upon by the accused to be true”: R. v.
Cinous, 2002 SCC 29,[2002] 2 S.C.R. 3, at para. 53. [para. 6] [16] In her written submission, Crown counsel quite properly makes the following concession: The trial judge appears to have focused exclusively on the issue of credibility to determine whether the offences were made out. Whilecredibility was very much in issue, the trial judge failed to make findings of fact and law in relation to the critical defence of selfdefence.
Importantly, if the defence of self defence had an air of reality, the burden was on the Crown to disprove the defence beyond areasonable doubt. [17] In support of this last proposition, the Crown cites R. v. Simpson, 2015 SCC 40, [2015] 2 S.C.R.827, at paragraph 32. While the court in Simpson was discussing the defence of colour of right, the same principles apply here.
In orderto put a defence “into play, an accused bears the onus of showing there is an ‘air of reality’ to the asserted defence – i.e., whether there issome evidence upon which a trier of fact, properly instructed and acting reasonably, could be left in a state of reasonable doubt.” Thecourt went on to instruct that, “[o]nce this hurdle is met, the burden falls on the Crown to disprove the defence beyond a reasonabledoubt.” [18] Crown counsel, again quite properly, also made this concession: The defence [of self-defence] was clearly in play but the trial judge failed to properly consider both the air of reality test and to determinewhether the Crown had disproven the defence beyond a reasonable doubt.
I agree. [19] The air of reality test referred to is set out in R. v. Cinous, 2002 SCC 29, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 3, atparagraph 65. In
summary, the two-pronged question to be determined is whether there is evidence “upon which a properly instructedjury acting reasonably could acquit if it believed the evidence to be true” and secondly “whether the evidence relied upon is reasonablycapable of supporting the inferences required to acquit the accused.” In the present case, no such analysis was conducted by the trialjudge; further, the Crown did not discharge its burden to disprove the defence of self-defence beyond a reasonable doubt. D.
The defence of self-defence and the examination on the victim’s propensity for violence [20] During the trial, defence counsel attempted to question a witness on Mr. Sturgeon’s propensityfor violence.
Crown counsel (who was not Crown counsel on the appeal) objected, arguing such evidence would be “totally collateral toany issue that this Court would have to decide” and invoked the collateral fact rule, further arguing that defence counsel “cannot callevidence to contradict a witness on a collateral issue.” [21] Defence counsel (again, not counsel on appeal) went on to briefly explain the purpose of hisintended questions was to establish propensity for violence on the part of Mr. Sturgeon and, in support of his position, drew the court’sattention to the decision of the Ontario Court of Appeal in R. v.
Scopelliti. Crown counsel also referred the court to Trecartin v. R., 2018NBCA 49, [2018] N.B.J. No. 182 (QL). After a brief recess, the trial judge determined: “The ruling in Trecartin, I believe, is valid and Ido not believe that it stands to supplant the rule with respect to collateral fact therefore I would disallow that line of questioning.”Defence counsel was left with no choice but to abandon his questioning of that witness and his attempts to place before the courtevidence to show Mr. Sturgeon’s propensity for violence, which would support Mr. Kitchen’s claim of acting in self-defence.
[22] The court in Scopelliti held as follows: It is well established that where self-defence is raised, evidence not only of previous assaults by the deceased on the accused, but alsoof previous acts of violence by the deceased, known to the accused, towards third persons, is admissible to show the accused’sreasonable apprehension of violence from the deceased. Evidence of the deceased’s reputation for violence, known to the accused, isadmissible on the same principle: see R. v.
Drouin (1909), (QC CQ), 15 C.C.C. 205 and commentary at 207; R. v.Scott (1910), (ON SC), 15 C.C.C. 442; Wigmore on Evidence, 3rd ed., vol. II (1940), at pp. 44-52; Phipson onEvidence, 12th ed. (1976), at pp. 188, 228. Obviously, evidence of previous acts of violence by the deceased, not known to the accused, is not relevant to show the reasonablenessof the accused’s apprehension of an impending attack.
However, there is impressive support for the proposition that, where self-defenceis raised, evidence of the deceased’s character (i.e. disposition) for violence is admissible to show the probability of the deceased havingbeen the aggressor and to support the accused’s evidence that he was attacked by the deceased. [23] Our Court has recognized Scopelliti as good authority. In Rossignol v.
R., 2005 NBCA 11, 280N.B.R. (2d) 312, Richard J.A. (as he then was) stated: “The decisions of the Ontario Court of Appeal in Scopelliti and R. v.Yaeck (1991), (ON CA), 6 O.R. (3d) 293 (C.A.), leave to appeal refused, [1992] 1 S.C.R. xii, set out the applicablelaw in this matter” (para. 18). [24] As for the Trecartin decision, it offers a valuable discussion on the collateral fact rule, but, inmy opinion, is not relevant to the issue at play in this matter. [25] Mr. Kitchen’s position is further reinforced by reference to the Supreme Court decision in R. v.Arcangioli, (SCC), [1994] 1 S.C.R. 129, [1994] S.C.J.
No. 5 (QL), wherein the court held: In Scopelliti, supra, the accused was charged with murder. He testified that he acted in self-defence, and sought to lead evidence of thedeceased’s character or disposition for violence to support his contention that the deceased was the aggressor. Martin J.A. stated at p.496: I agree, of course, that evidence of previous acts of violence by the deceased, not known to the accused, must be confined to evidence ofprevious acts of violence which may legitimately and reasonably assist the jury in arriving at a just verdict with respect to the accused’sclaim of self-defence.
To exclude, however, evidence offered by the accused which is relevant to prove his innocence would not, in myview, be in the interests of justice. Since evidence of prior acts of violence by the deceased is likely to arouse feelings of hostility against the deceased, there mustinevitably be some element of discretion in the determination whether the proffered evidence has sufficient probative value for thepurpose for which it is tendered to justify its admission. Moreover, great care must be taken to ensure that such evidence, if admitted, isnot misused. See also R. v.
Yaeck (1991), (ON CA), 68 C.C.C. (3d) 545 (Ont. C.A.), at p. 563, leave to appeal to S.C.C. refused,[1992] 1 S.C.R. xii; and R. v. McMillan, supra, at p. 167. The proposition is unquestioned that evidence which is logically probative may be excluded where its probative value is slight but itsprejudicial effect upon the fair trial of the accused is great. However, courts are reluctant to exclude evidence offered by an accused inhis defence: R. v.
Seaboyer, (SCC), [1991] 2 S.C.R. 577, per McLachlin J., at p. 611: Canadian courts, like courts in most common law jurisdictions, have been extremely cautious in restricting the power of the accused tocall evidence in his or her defence, a reluctance founded in the fundamental tenet of our judicial system that an innocent person must notbe convicted. Evidence of a third party’s character or violent disposition is admissible even if it refers to only one event; see, e.g., Yaeck, supra, at p.564; and R. v. Kendall (1987), (ON CA), 35 C.C.C. (3d) 105 (Ont. C.A.), at p. 125. [paras. 29-31]
[ 26 ] Counsel for Mr. Kitchen in her written submission argues that: “[e]vidence of Mr. Sturgeon’s prior acts of violence was not ‘collateral’, but evidence relevant to Mr. Kitchen’s defence, in particular whether his actions were reasonable in the circumstances” and that “[i]t was essential to his full answer and defence.” The Crown supports this assertion, acknowledging that “[t]his evidence did not amount to a collateral issue but represented defence evidence arguably relevant to the defence of self defence.” [ 27 ] With respect, the trial judge was in error when she disallowed an examination of Mr.
Sturgeon’s propensity for violence on the basis she did. Defence counsel’s questioning should have been considered through the prism of the jurisprudence outlined above. As the Crown correctly points out, there are limitations on the admissibility and the use of such evidence, but, in Mr. Kitchen’s case, the trial judge never got to that point. IV. Conclusion and Disposition [ 28 ] For the reasons articulated above, at the close of the hearing of Mr.
Kitchen’s appeal, I joined my colleagues in allowing the appeal against conviction, entering acquittals on the charges of robbery and break, enter and theft, and ordering a new trial on the charges of aggravated assault, breach of probation, and breach of an undertaking. Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE GREEN I. Introduction [1] Le 2 mai 2019, une juge de la Cour provinciale a déclaré Joshua William Kitchen et son coaccusé, Liam McLatchy, coupables de vol qualifié ( al. 344(1)
b) du Code criminel ), d’introduction par effraction et de vol ( al. 348(1) d)), ainsi que de voies de fait graves ( par. 268(2) ). En outre, M. Kitchen a été déclaré coupable de défaut de se conformer à une ordonnance de probation (art. 733.1) et de manquement aux conditions d’une promesse (al. 145(3)b)). [2] Dans l’arrêt McLatchy c. R . , 2020 NBCA 29 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 143 (QL) , notre Cour a accueilli l’appel interjeté de sa déclaration de culpabilité par M. McLatchy. Fort de cette décision, M. Kitchen a déposé son propre appel.
Notre Cour a entendu et accueilli son appel le 17 septembre 2020 et indiqué que des motifs suivraient. Elle les donne aujourd’hui. II. Aperçu [3] Le 18 décembre 2018, M. Kitchen souhaitait récupérer auprès d’un certain Joseph Sturgeon des haut-parleurs qu’il considérait comme lui appartenant. Avant de se rendre à l’appartement de M. Sturgeon, M. Kitchen a demandé à son ami, M. McLatchy, de l’y accompagner. Les deux hommes ont trouvé la porte de l’appartement ouverte et sont entrés. Un désaccord est survenu entre M. Kitchen et M.
Sturgeon, qui s’estimaient chacun propriétaire des haut-parleurs, désaccord qui a dégénéré en une bagarre au cours de laquelle M. Kitchen a frappé M. Sturgeon au moyen d’un tuyau et l’a blessé. M. McLatchy n’a pas pris part à l’affrontement. [4] Il importe de noter, dans le contexte du présent appel, que M. Kitchen a témoigné au procès que M. Sturgeon avait été le premier à brandir un tuyau pour le frapper, et il a fait valoir qu’il avait riposté en état de légitime défense. Le témoignage de M. McLatchy présentait aussi M. Sturgeon comme l’instigateur.
[5] MM. Kitchen et McLatchy ont quitté les lieux sans les haut-parleurs. Peu après, cependant, M. Kitchen est retourné seul à l’appartement récupérer un ou des objets qu’il y avait laissés par mégarde. En sortant cette fois-ci, M. Kitchen a emporté le téléphone cellulaire de M. Sturgeon. [6] Les accusations susmentionnées ont été portées à la fois contre M. Kitchen et contre M. McLatchy, qui ont l’un et l’autre été déclarés coupables. Deux appels ont suivi : d’abord celui de M. McLatchy, puis l’appel dont nous sommes saisis aujourd’hui. [7] Au terme de l’audition de l’appel de M.
Kitchen, notre Cour a rendu la décision orale suivante : En l’espèce, le ministère public reconnaît que M. Kitchen a droit, lui aussi, à l’acquittement à l’égard des chefs d’accusation de vol qualifié et d’introduction par effraction et de vol, pour les motifs exposés dans l’arrêt McLatchy . Le ministère public reconnaît également que M.
Kitchen a droit à un nouveau procès à l’égard des chefs d’accusation de voies de fait graves, de défaut de se conformer à une ordonnance de probation et de manquement [aux conditions d’une promesse], puisque [TRADUCTION] « le moyen fondé sur la légitime défense n’a pas suffisamment été traité par la juge du procès ». À notre avis, les concessions du ministère public sont fondées. L’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité est accueilli. L’acquittement est prononcé à l’égard des chefs d’accusation de vol qualifié et d’introduction par effraction et de vol.
La tenue d’un nouveau procès est ordonnée à l’égard des chefs d’accusation de voies de fait graves, de défaut de se conformer à une ordonnance de probation et de manquement [aux conditions d’une promesse]. [par. 3 à 6] III. Questions en litige et analyse [8] Notre Cour est saisie d’un appel pénal, peu fréquent, où le condamné appelant et le ministère public intimé sont tout à fait d’accord : des erreurs ont été commises au procès qui nécessitent l’intervention d’une juridiction d’appel. Ils sont d’accord également sur la décision qu’il conviendrait de rendre. L’affaire n’est toutefois pas close pour autant.
La Cour a l’obligation de se persuader de ce que la thèse commune des parties est correcte en droit. Elle est tenue à plus qu’à un simple acquiescement. Dans le cas présent, mes collègues et moi avons convenu que les parties avaient raison et nous en demeurons convaincus. J’explique notre décision. A. Moyens d’appel [9] M. Kitchen soumet à notre Cour trois moyens.
Il soutient que la juge du procès a commis des erreurs : 1. du fait qu’elle n’a pas examiné de façon appropriée si, compte tenu de l’ensemble de la preuve, le ministère public avait établi la culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable quant aux accusations de vol qualifié et d’introduction par effraction, ce qui s’est traduit par un verdict déraisonnable; 2. du fait qu’elle n’a procédé ni à un examen ni à une application appropriés du droit de la légitime défense, invoqué par M. Kitchen face à l’accusation de voies de fait graves;
3. du fait qu’elle n’a pas admis la présentation de preuve relative à la propension du plaignant à la violence, ce à quoi elle était tenueselon les principes de droit énoncés dans R. c. Scopelliti (1982), (ON CA), 34 O.R. (2d) 524. B. Les accusations de vol qualifié et d’introduction par infraction et de vol [10] Dans McLatchy c. R., notre Cour est arrivée aux conclusions suivantes : Quoique, de façon générale, la juge du procès ait accueilli le témoignage de l’occupant, elle n’a pas rejeté toute la preuve de la défense.Elle a tenu pour vrai que M.
McLatchy avait accompagné son ami pour récupérer les haut-parleurs que ce dernier disait lui appartenir etque leur [TRADUCTION] « plan » n’envisageait aucun recours à la violence; surtout, elle a conclu qu’une [TRADUCTION]« incertitude » subsistait pour ce qui est de savoir quel était le propriétaire des haut-parleurs et reconnu qu’ils pouvaient bien appartenir àl’ami de M. McLatchy. À notre avis, ces constatations mènent à une conclusion inévitable : si la juge du procès avait analysé la cause comme elle le devait, il luiaurait fallu prononcer l’acquittement.
Puisque le ministère public n’a pas établi que l’ami de M. McLatchy ne pouvait prétendre à lapropriété des haut-parleurs, il ne peut affirmer légitimement qu’il a prouvé hors de tout doute raisonnable l’insincérité de la croyance deM. McLatchy. Pour ce qui concerne l’accusation de voies de fait graves, dès l’instant que la juge tenait pour vrai que le[TRADUCTION] « plan » de récupération des haut-parleurs ne prévoyait pas de recours à la violence, la preuve n’apportait toutsimplement rien qui pouvait justifier de déclarer M. McLatchy coupable de cet acte criminel.
La juge du procès a ajouté foi autémoignage de l’occupant selon lequel l’ami de M. McLatchy n’était devenu l’agresseur qu’après s’être fait dire qu’il ne pouvait pasprendre les haut-parleurs. Il se peut, vu ces faits, que la déclaration de culpabilité de l’ami soit fondée, mais la preuve montre queM. McLatchy n’a pris absolument aucune part à l’affrontement. En somme, nous estimons, comme l’avocate du ministère public, que la juge du procès [TRADUCTION] « paraît s’être arrêtéeexclusivement à la question de la crédibilité pour déterminer si la perpétration des infractions était établie ».
La juge n’a pas examiné sesconclusions de fait sous l’angle approprié pour déterminer si le ministère public avait prouvé l’ensemble des éléments de chacune desinfractions. À notre sens, si elle l’avait fait, elle n’aurait pu, raisonnablement, déclarer M. McLatchy coupable. [par. 9 à 11] [Je souligne.] L’ami mentionné dans ce passage est, bien entendu, M. Kitchen. [11] Vu ce qu’indique l’arrêt précité à propos des haut-parleurs, une conclusion s’impose : il auraitfallu que la juge du procès acquitte M. Kitchen des crimes de vol qualifié et d’introduction par effraction et de vol également.
Leministère public le concède. [12] Le téléphone cellulaire, dont M. Kitchen a maintenu qu’il l’avait pris par inadvertance enrécupérant ses propres affaires, pose un problème un peu plus délicat. La juge du procès a constaté avec justesse que [TRADUCTION]« les témoignages entendus au procès ne donnaient absolument pas à penser que M. McLatchy avait eu part au plan, qu’il en avaitconnaissance ou qu’il était mêlé aux agissements pour ce qui est de prendre le téléphone, en conserver la possession ou s’en défaire »,mais elle a conclu, à l’égard de M.
Kitchen : [TRADUCTION] « Je le déclare donc coupable pour ce qui concerne le téléphone. » Je ferairemarquer par parenthèse que parler de [TRADUCTION] « plan », à propos du téléphone emporté, était quelque peu excessif. En appel,le ministère public n’a pas distingué le téléphone cellulaire et les haut-parleurs, et il a simplement demandé que M. Kitchen soit acquittédes crimes de vol qualifié et d’introduction par effraction et de vol.
Notre Cour est arrivée à la même conclusion et a choisi de ne pasergoter sur la question du téléphone. [13] Il reste l’accusation de voies de fait graves, ainsi que, par conséquent, les accusations de défautde se conformer à une ordonnance de probation et de manquement aux conditions d’une promesse. Les avocates de l’appelant et duministère public ont soutenu toutes deux que ces accusations devaient faire l’objet d’un nouveau procès. Nous étions du même avisqu’elles.
C. L’accusation de voies de fait graves et le moyen de légitime défense [14] Face à l’accusation de voies de fait graves, M. Kitchen a plaidé la légitime défense au procès. Ilsoutenait que M. Sturgeon avait été l’agresseur et faisait valoir qu’il avait simplement réagi à cette agression dans le but de se protéger. [15] Comme notre Cour l’a indiqué dans l’arrêt McLatchy : En droit, le juge du procès qui siège sans jury a l’obligation de prendre en considération tous les moyens de défense qui ont unevraisemblance.
La vraisemblance d’un moyen est déterminée par la réponse donnée à cette question : la preuve produite est-ellesusceptible, si elle est acceptée, de mener à un acquittement? (R. c. Osolin, (SCC), [1993] 4 R.C.S. 595, [1993] A.C.S. no 135 (QL), p. 682). « Lorsqu’il applique le critère de la vraisemblance, le juge du procès examine l’ensemble de lapreuve et tient pour véridiques les éléments de preuve produits par l’accusé » (R. c.
Cinous, 2002 CSC 29, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 3, par. 53).[par. 6] [16] Dans ses observations écrites, l’avocate du ministère public a concédé, très justement, ce quisuit : [TRADUCTION] La juge du procès paraît s’être arrêtée exclusivement à la question de la crédibilité pour déterminer si la perpétration des infractions étaitétablie. Si la question de la crédibilité se posait indéniablement, la juge du procès a toutefois omis de tirer des conclusions de fait et dedroit relativement au moyen de défense crucial qu’était la légitime défense.
Qui plus est, il revenait au ministère public de réfuter lemoyen de légitime défense hors de tout doute raisonnable s’il était vraisemblable. [17] À l’appui de cette dernière proposition, le ministère public invoque l’arrêt R. c. Simpson,2015 CSC 40, [2015] 2 R.C.S. 827, au par. 32. La cour, dans Simpson, se penchait sur la défense d’apparence de droit, mais les mêmesprincipes sont applicables en l’espèce.
Pour qu’il puisse « déclencher l’application de la défense […], un accusé a le fardeau dedémontrer la “vraisemblance” de ce moyen de défense invoqué – c.-à-d. de démontrer qu’il existe certains éléments de preuvesusceptibles de soulever un doute raisonnable […] dans l’esprit d’un juge des faits qui a reçu des directives appropriées et qui agitraisonnablement ».
La cour a indiqué ensuite qu’« [u]ne fois cet obstacle franchi, il revient au ministère public de réfuter le moyen dedéfense hors de tout doute raisonnable ». [18] L’avocate du ministère public, très justement encore une fois, a fait cette autre concession : [TRADUCTION] L’application du moyen de défense [de la légitime défense] était certainement déclenchée, mais la juge du procès n’a ni pris enconsidération le critère de la vraisemblance comme il le fallait ni déterminé si le ministère public avait réfuté ce moyen de défense horsde tout doute raisonnable.
Je partage son point de vue. [19] Le critère de la vraisemblance susmentionné est énoncé dans R. c. Cinous, 2002 CSC 29, [2002]2 R.C.S. 3, au par. 65. En résumé, une question à deux volets se pose et requiert de déterminer, premièrement, s’il existe une preuve qui« permettrait à un jury ayant reçu des directives appropriées et agissant raisonnablement de prononcer l’acquittement, s’il y ajoutait foi »,et, deuxièmement, « si la preuve produite est raisonnablement susceptible d’étayer les inférences requises pour acquitter l’accusé ». Enl’espèce, la juge du procès n’a pas procédé à cette analyse.
Le ministère public ne s’est acquitté non plus du fardeau de réfuter hors detout doute raisonnable le moyen de légitime défense.
D. Le moyen de légitime défense et l’interrogatoire sur la propension de la victime à la violence [20] Lors du procès, l’avocat de la défense a tenté d’interroger un témoin sur la propension deM. Sturgeon à la violence. Le ministère public (qui n’était pas représenté par l’avocate qui postule en appel) a élevé une objection. Ilsoutenait que la preuve apportée serait [TRADUCTION] « tout à fait incidente aux questions que la Cour aurait à trancher ».
Il a invoquéla règle relative aux faits incidents et soutenu en outre que la défense ne pouvait [TRADUCTION] « appeler quelqu’un à témoigner pourcontredire un témoin sur une question incidente ». [21] L’avocat de la défense (qui ne représente pas M. Kitchen en appel) a alors expliqué brièvementque les questions qu’il comptait poser visaient à établir l’existence d’une propension à la violence chez M. Sturgeon. À l’appui de sesprétentions sur ce point, il a appelé l’attention de la juge du procès sur R. c. Scopelliti, décision de la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario.
Le ministère public, lui, a renvoyé la cour à l’arrêt Trecartin c. R., 2018 NBCA 49, [2018] A.N.-B. no 182 (QL). Après une brèvesuspension d’audience, la juge du procès a tranché ainsi : [TRADUCTION] « La décision rendue dans Trecartin est valable, à mon avis,et je ne crois pas qu’elle ait pour effet de supplanter la règle relative aux faits incidents. J’entends donc exclure ce sujetd’interrogatoire. » L’avocat de la défense n’a eu d’autre choix que d’abandonner l’interrogatoire de ce témoin et de ne plus tenter de fairela preuve d’une propension de M.
Sturgeon à la violence, preuve qui aurait étayé l’argument de légitime défense de M. Kitchen. [22] Dans Scopelliti, la Cour est arrivée aux conclusions suivantes : [TRADUCTION] Il est parfaitement établi que sont admissibles, lorsque la légitime défense est plaidée, non seulement des preuves d’agressionsantérieures du défunt contre l’accusé, mais aussi des preuves d’actes de violence antérieurs du défunt, connus de l’accusé, contre destiers, qui tendent à montrer que l’accusé avait une crainte raisonnable de violence de la part du défunt.
Des preuves de la réputation deviolence du défunt, connue de l’accusé, sont admissibles suivant le même principe (voir R. c. Drouin (1909), (QC CQ), 15 C.C.C. 205, et commentaire, p. 207; R. c. Scott (1910), (ON SC), 15 C.C.C. 442; Wigmore on Evidence, 3e éd., vol. II (1940), p. 44 à 52; Phipson on Evidence, 12e éd. (1976), p. 188 et 228). De toute évidence, la preuve des actes antérieurs de violence commis par le défunt, que ne connaissait pas l’accusé, n’est pas pertinentepour illustrer le caractère raisonnable de la crainte d’une attaque imminente chez l’accusé.
Toutefois, il existe un appui marquant enfaveur de la proposition selon laquelle, dans le cas où une question de légitime défense est soulevée, la preuve du tempérament violent del’accusé (la disposition) est admissible pour illustrer la probabilité que le défunt puisse être l’agresseur et soutenir le témoignage del’accusé qu’il a été attaqué par le défunt. [23] Notre Cour a reconnu la valeur jurisprudentielle de l’arrêt Scopelliti. Dans Rossignol c.
R., 2005 NBCA 11, 280 R.N.-B. (2e) 312, le juge d’appel Richard (tel était alors son titre) a écrit : « Les décisions de la Cour d’appel del’Ontario dans les affaires Scopelliti et R. c. Yaeck (1991), (ON CA), 6 O.R. (3d) 293 (C.A.), demande en autorisationd’appel refusée [1992] 1 R.C.S. xii, font état du droit qui s’applique en l’espèce » (par. 18). [24] Pour ce qui est de Trecartin, l’arrêt propose une analyse très utile de la règle relative aux faitsincidents, mais il n’est pas pertinent en l’espèce, à mon avis, vu la question soulevée. [25] La thèse de M.
Kitchen est corroborée, également, si l’on se reporte à la décision que la Cour suprême a rendue dans R. c. Arcangioli, (SCC), [1994] 1 R.C.S. 129, [1994] A.C.S. no 5 (QL) : Dans l’affaire Scopelliti, précitée, l’accusé était inculpé de meurtre. Il a témoigné avoir agi en état de légitime défense et a cherché àprésenter une preuve de la moralité de la victime ou de sa prédisposition à la violence afin d’étayer sa prétention que c’est elle qui étaitl’agresseur.
Le juge Martin de la Cour d’appel déclare, à la p. 496 : [traduction] Je conviens, bien sûr, que la preuve d’actes de violence commis antérieurement par la victime, à l’insu de l’accusé, doit êtrelimitée à la preuve des actes de violence antérieurs qui peuvent légitimement et raisonnablement aider le jury à rendre un verdict juste eu
égard à l’état de légitime défense invoqué par l’accusé. Toutefois, exclure une preuve produite par l’accusé qui est pertinente pourprouver son innocence ne serait pas, à mon avis, dans l’intérêt de la justice. Étant donné que la preuve d’actes de violence commis antérieurement par la victime est susceptible d’éveiller un sentiment d’hostilité àson égard, la question de savoir si, compte tenu de la fin à laquelle elle est offerte, cette preuve est suffisamment probante pour enjustifier l’admission nécessite forcément l’exercice d’un certain pouvoir discrétionnaire.
De plus, il faut bien prendre soin de s’assurerque cette preuve ne soit pas mal utilisée si elle est admise. Voir également R. c. Yaeck (1991), (ON CA), 68 C.C.C. (3d) 545 (C.A. Ont.), à la p. 563, autorisation de pourvoi à laC.S.C. refusée, [1992] 1 R.C.S. xii; et R. c. McMillan, précité, à la p. 167. On ne conteste pas qu’il est possible d’exclure une preuve logiquement probante lorsque sa valeur probante est faible et que son effetpréjudiciable sur l’équité du procès est important. Toutefois, les tribunaux hésitent à exclure une preuve que produit un accusé pour sedéfendre R. c.
Seaboyer, (SCC), [1991] 2 R.C.S. 577, à la p. 611 (le juge McLachlin) : Les tribunaux canadiens, comme ceux de la plupart des ressorts de common law, ont beaucoup hésité à restreindre le pouvoir de l’accuséde présenter une preuve à l’appui de sa défense, cette hésitation tenant du principe fondamental de notre système judiciaire selon lequelune personne innocente ne doit pas être déclarée coupable. La preuve de la moralité d’un tiers ou de sa prédisposition à la violence est admissible même si elle ne se rapporte qu’à un seulévénement; voir, par exemple, les arrêts Yaeck, précité, à la p. 564, et R. c.
Kendall (1987), (ON CA),35 C.C.C. (3d) 105 (C.A. Ont.), à la p. 125. [par. 29 à 31] [26] L’avocate de M. Kitchen, dans son mémoire, fait valoir que des [TRADUCTION] « preuves desactes de violence antérieurs perpétrés par M. Sturgeon n’étaient pas “incidentes”, mais pertinentes quant à la défense de M. Kitchen,notamment quant à la raisonnabilité de ses actions dans les circonstances », et elle soutient que ces preuves [TRADUCTION] « étaientessentielles à la présentation d’une défense pleine et entière ».
Le ministère public est du même avis et reconnaît que [TRADUCTION]« [c]es preuves n’avaient pas trait à une question incidente; elles constituaient des preuves en défense dont il est permis d’avancerqu’elles étaient pertinentes quant au moyen de légitime défense ». [27] La Cour constate respectueusement que la juge du procès a commis une erreur en rejetant, pourles motifs qu’elle a retenus, un interrogatoire qui aurait porté sur la propension de M. Sturgeon à la violence.
Il fallait considérerl’interrogatoire auquel souhaitait procéder l’avocat de la défense du point de vue de la jurisprudence exposée précédemment. Comme leministère public le signale avec raison, il existe des limites à l’admissibilité et à l’emploi de preuve de ce genre, mais, dans le cas deM. Kitchen, la juge du procès n’est jamais parvenue au stade où elles seraient entrées en jeu. IV. Conclusion et dispositif [28] Pour les motifs qui précèdent, mes collègues et moi avons, au terme de l’audition de l’appel deM.
Kitchen, accueilli l’appel qu’il interjetait de sa déclaration de culpabilité, prononcé des acquittements des crimes de vol qualifié etd’introduction par effraction et de vol, et ordonné la tenue d’un nouveau procès sur les accusations de voies de fait graves, de défaut dese conformer à une ordonnance de probation et de manquement aux conditions d’une promesse.