2021 NBCA 29, 2021 NBCA 29
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK JOAN E. ZED APPELLANT 103-19-CA JOAN E. ZED APPELANTE - and - - et - ALLAN J. LEVINE, PETER J.C. WHITE and DAVID M. LUTZ RESPONDENTS ALLAN J. LEVINE, PETER J.C. WHITE et DAVID M. LUTZ INTIMÉS Zed v. Levine et al., 2021 NBCA 29 Zed c. Levine et autres, 2021 NBCA 29 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlond CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlond
Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: August 26, 2019 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2019 NBQB 186 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Appeal heard: April 27, 2021 Judgment rendered: June 3, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 26 août 2019 Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2019 NBBR 186 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appel entendu : le 27 avril 2021 Jugement rendu : le 3 juin 2021 Counsel at hearing: Joan E. Zed on her own behalf For the respondents: David M. Lutz, Q.C.
THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with one set of costs of $2,500 awarded to the respondents, payable forthwith by the appellant. Avocats à l’audience : Joan E. Zed en son propre nom Pour les intimés : David M. Lutz, c.r. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté et les intimés ont droit à une masse de dépens de 2 500 $, payable immédiatement par l’appelante. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT [ 1 ] Joan E. Zed is appealing all decisions and orders of a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, emanating from court file numbers SJC-290-2017 and SJC-412-2017.
[ 2 ] This Court previously disposed of an appeal respecting SJC-412-2017 in Zed v. White et al. , 2019 NBCA 86 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 375 (QL), in which the Court stated, in a case which raises the same issues as the one before us, as follows: We end our discussion of this matter mindful of the words of Robertson J.A., writing for the Court, in Murray v. New Brunswick Police Commission (2012), 389 N.B.R. (2d) 372 , [2012] N.B.J.
No. 211 (QL) : Unfortunately, what courts are facing today is a cluster of cases in which the self-represented litigant is generally unwilling and, at times, hostile to the prospect of taking instruction from the court, particularly as to what can be argued. This is the litigant who is under the mistaken impression they have an unfettered right to pursue their self-interests without regard to the rights of the opposing party under the rules of evidence and the Rules of Court . These are the cases in which the simple case becomes unnecessarily complex and court proceedings become marathon sessions.
These are the cases in which the self-represented litigant operates on the mistaken assumption that if he or she is unsuccessful on any ruling it is because of bias on the part of the decision maker. These are the litigants who, if confronted with the law, will plead ignorance and seek the court's indulgence. Otherwise, they continue to believe they have mastered the intricacies of statutory
interpretation, the application of legal principles, doctrines and rules – without the benefit of legal training. Often, these are the cases where the opposing party has had to retain and pay legal counsel to defend unmeritorious interlocutory proceedings in circumstances where everyone knows the self-represented litigant lacks the financial resources to pay any costs award, be it large or small.
These are cases where the self-represented litigant will expect, if not demand, that he or she be given greater and persistent access to court staff, whose primary function is to serve the public at large by accepting documents that comply with legal requirements and not to act as quasi-judicial advisors. Fortunately, most cases and most self-represented litigants do not fall within these descriptions. The law reports support this observation: e.g., Druet v. Girouard , 2012 NBCA 40 , [2012] N.B.J. No. 136 (QL) .
Regrettably, it only takes a few to grind down the pace at which justice is delivered in this Province and to stretch the patience of all judges who, as a matter of fact, are truly committed to ensuring that all litigants are provided with meaningful “access to justice”. On the other hand, the extent to which Rule 76.1 will be viewed as a viable means for controlling vexatious proceedings is a matter beyond the scope of these reasons. [para. 10] Viewed in context, Ms. Zed’s conduct reveals a deeper problem for the administration of justice.
A self-represented litigant who unjustifiably persists in his or her continued campaign for what they perceive to be wrongs committed against them, consumes time and resources both for those who are their targets, and also, for the officials who are charged with the responsibility of case management. Access to justice issues have been prominent topics for discussion at various levels of court administration.
In an era where these matters are “front and centre,” we would be remiss to not observe that, in cases such as these, there has been limited consequence for a litigant who unjustifiably and relentlessly pursues an unmeritorious case. In recent months, this Court imposed an order under Rule 76.01 upon declaring a litigant vexatious, and we prohibited him from pursuing cases before this Court without leave.
It was our intent to send a message to the community at large, that the courts in this province will not be the “personal playgrounds” for those individuals who would pursue unmeritorious claims at the expense of others who wait for many months to prosecute legitimate ones: see Bossé v. Caisse populaire acadienne Ltée , [2018] N.B.J. No. 164 (QL) . In our view a strong message must be sent to discourage frivolous and vexatious claims that consume countless hours of both administrative and court time, thus pushing those whose claims are legitimate to a “back seat.” See J.D. Rooke J. in Unrau v.
National Dental Examining Board , 2019 ABQB 283 , [2019] A.J. No. 496 (QL) on this topic. [paras. 27-28] [Emphasis added.] [ 3 ] These comments, unfortunately, need to be repeated. Once again, Ms. Zed is asking this Court to retry the case. It is trite law that courts of appeal review for error and cannot retry a case (see Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , at para. 3 ; The Estate of Robert William McElroy, as represented by Jennifer McElroy v. Dr. John Prendergast , 2020 NBCA 26 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 108 (QL) , at paras. 26-27 ; S.F.D. v. M.T. , 2019 NBCA 62 , [2019] N.B.J.
No. 203 (QL) , at para. 15 ; A.D. v. A.D. , 2018 NBCA 83 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 298 (QL) , at paras. 10 and 27 ). [ 4 ] The trial judge undertook a thorough analysis of the issues. Having regard to his comprehensive reasons and his various findings of fact, there is no justification for us to interfere. No misapplication of legal principles prejudicial to Ms. Zed is discerned in the reasons. On the facts of this case, and given the application of the legal principles to the facts, the trial judge did not err.
We are in substantial agreement with the essential features of the carefully considered reasons of the trial judge and we see no basis for appellate intervention. [ 5 ] This appeal is devoid of merit. It is frivolous and is dismissed with one set of costs awarded to the respondents in the amount of $2,500, payable forthwith by Ms. Zed.
Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR [1] Joan E. Zed interjette appel de toutes les décisions et ordonnances rendues par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine dans les dossiers SJC-290-2017 et SJC-412-2017. [2] Notre Cour a déjà statué sur un appel à l’égard du dossier SJC-412-2017 dans Zed c.
White et autre , 2019 NBCA 86 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 375 (QL), affaire qui soulève les mêmes questions que celle dont nous sommes saisis et dans laquelle la Cour a déclaré ce qui suit : Nous terminons l’examen de la question en ayant à l’esprit les propos tenus par le juge d’appel Robertson, s’exprimant au nom de notre Cour, dans l’arrêt Murray c.
New Brunswick Police Commission (2012), 389 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 372 , [2012] A.N.-B. n° 211 (QL) : Malheureusement, à l’heure actuelle, les tribunaux sont aux prises avec une série d’affaires où le plaideur qui se représente lui-même est généralement réticent, et parfois hostile, à recevoir des directives de la cour, particulièrement au sujet des arguments qu’il peut invoquer. C’est le genre de plaideur qui a l’impression erronée qu’il a un droit illimité de poursuivre ses propres intérêts sans égard aux droits conférés à la
partie adverse par les règles de preuve et les Règles de procédure . Ce sont des cas où une affaire simple devient inutilement compliquée et où les débats dégénèrent en séances interminables. Ce sont des cas où le plaideur qui se représente lui-même agit en supposant à tort que s’il n’obtient pas gain de cause dans quelque affaire que ce soit, c’est que le décideur a fait preuve de partialité.
C’est le genre de plaideur qui croit toujours qu’il a maîtrisé les subtilités de l’interprétation des lois et l’application des principes, de la doctrine et des règles du droit, sans avoir bénéficié d’une formation juridique. Confronté aux principes du droit, ce même plaideur plaide l’ignorance et demande l’indulgence de la Cour. Ce sont souvent des affaires où la
partie adverse a dû avoir recours à un avocat et le payer pour se défendre contre des procédures interlocutoires sans fondement dans des circonstances où chacun sait que le plaideur qui se représente lui-même n’a pas les ressources financières nécessaires pour payer des dépens, que leur montant soit faible ou élevé.
Ce sont des cas où le plaideur qui se représente lui-même espère, ou même exige, un accès plus large et constant au personnel de la cour, dont la fonction primordiale est de servir le grand public en acceptant des documents qui sont conformes aux exigences juridiques et non d’agir en tant que conseillers quasi juridiques. Heureusement, la plupart des affaires et des plaideurs qui se représentent eux-mêmes ne correspondent pas à une telle description. La jurisprudence confirme cette observation; voir par exemple Druet c. Girouard , 2012 NBCA 40 , [2012] A.N.-B. n o 136 (QL) .
Malheureusement, il suffit de quelques cas pour ralentir le rythme auquel la justice est rendue dans notre province et pour mettre à l’épreuve la patience de tous les juges, qui, en fait, ont vraiment à cœur de s’assurer que tous les plaideurs obtiennent un réel « accès à la justice ».
Cela dit, la mesure dans laquelle la règle 76.1 peut être considérée comme un moyen valable de refréner les procédures vexatoires est une question qui déborde le cadre des présents motifs. [par. 10] Le comportement de M me Zed, considéré en contexte, révèle l’existence d’un grave problème auquel l’administration de la justice est confrontée. Le plaideur se représentant lui-même, qui persiste indûment à mener campagne contre ce qu’il perçoit être des torts à son endroit, oblige tant ses cibles que les responsables de la gestion d’instance à investir temps et ressources.
Les questions d’accès à la justice ont fait l’objet d’importants débats aux divers échelons de l’administration judiciaire. À une époque où ces questions sont [TRADUCTION] « au cœur » des préoccupations, il nous faut souligner que, dans les affaires comme celle qui nous occupe, les conséquences ont été restreintes pour les plaideurs qui, indûment et inlassablement, intentent des recours sans fondement.
Ces derniers mois, notre Cour a rendu une ordonnance en vertu de la règle 76.01 portant qu’un plaideur était quérulent, et elle lui a interdit d’introduire d’autres instances devant elle, à moins d’en avoir obtenu l’autorisation. Nous voulions transmettre comme message à l’ensemble de la collectivité que les tribunaux de la province ne seront pas le « terrain de jeu privé » des personnes qui intentent des recours sans fondement, au détriment d’autres qui attendent des mois pour en intenter des légitimes (voir Bossé c. Caisse populaire acadienne Ltée , [2018] A.N.-B. n° 164 (QL)).
À notre avis, un message fort doit être lancé afin de décourager l’introduction de demandes frivoles et vexatoires auxquelles les tribunaux et l’administration doivent consacrer des heures innombrables, faisant ainsi [TRADUCTION] « passer à l’arrière » les demandes légitimes. Voir les motifs du juge J.D. Rooke sur ce point dans la décision Unrau c. National Dental Examining Board , 2019 ABQB 283 , [2019] A.J. No. 496 (QL) . [par. 27 et 28] [Nous soulignons.] [3] Ces propos doivent, malheureusement, être répétés. Encore une fois, M me Zed demande à notre Cour de juger l’affaire de nouveau.
Il est établi en droit que les tribunaux d’appel vérifient si des erreurs ont été commises et ne peuvent juger une affaire à nouveau (voir Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , au par. 3 ; La succession de Robert William McElroy, représentée par Jennifer McElroy c. D r John Prendergast , 2020 NBCA 26 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 108 (QL) , aux par. 26 et 27 ; S.F.D. c.
M.T. , 2019 NBCA 62 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 203 (QL) , au par. 15 ; A.D. c. A.D. , 2018 NBCA 83 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 298 (QL) , aux par. 10 et 27 ). [4] Le juge du procès a livré une analyse approfondie des questions en litige. Considérant ses motifs exhaustifs et ses diverses conclusions de fait, nous n’avons aucune raison d’intervenir. Nous n’avons relevé dans les motifs aucune mauvaise application des principes de droit qui serait préjudiciable à M me Zed. D’après les faits de l’espèce, et compte tenu de l’application des principes de droit aux faits, le juge du procès n’a pas commis d’erreur.
Nous souscrivons pour l’essentiel aux caractéristiques essentielles des motifs très soigneusement pesés du juge du procès et n’y voyons aucun motif d’intervention en appel. [5] L’appel, qui est sans fondement et frivole, est rejeté. Les intimés ont droit à une masse de dépens de 2 500 $, payable immédiatement par M me Zed.