2020 NBCA 51, 2020 NBCA 51
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 94-19-CA KENNETH JOSEPH KERFONT APPELLANT KENNETH JOSEPH KERFONT APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Kerfont v. R., 2020 NBCA 51 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Kerfont c.
R., 2020 NBCA 51 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: June 3, 2019 (conviction) July 29, 2019 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : le 3 juin 2019 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 29 juillet 2019 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: April 21, 2020 Appel entendu : le 21 avril 2020 Judgment rendered: July 23, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 23 juillet 2020
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: George E. Kalinowski For the respondent: Kathryn Gregory, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelant : George E. Kalinowski Pour l’intimée : Kathryn Gregory, c.r. THE COURT The appeal against conviction is dismissed and leave to appeal sentence is denied.
LA COUR L’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité est rejeté, tout comme la demande d’autorisation d’appel contre la peine. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] In March 2019, Kenneth Joseph Kerfont stood trial for the sexual assault of two young boys. The first information charged him with the sexual assault of A.B., alleged to have taken place between September 1998 and June 2000. The second charged him with sexually assaulting a different boy between January 1995 and December 1997. Both charges alleged a violation of s. 271(1) (
a) of the Criminal Code . [ 2 ] Mr. Kerfont was convicted of the first charge and acquitted of the second. He was sentenced to five years’ incarceration and 12 months of probation. The trial judge also made several ancillary orders. Mr. Kerfont says the verdict was unreasonable and the trial judge misapprehended the evidence such that a miscarriage of justice occurred. I do not agree. II. Facts [ 3 ] At the time of the alleged assaults, Mr. Kerfont resided with his sister, Gloria Hartford, her husband Robert
Hartford, and their family. He is the youngest of 15 children who were born in Newfoundland and Labrador, although many of his siblings had relocated to Charlotte County, New Brunswick. At the age of 17, he decided to move to be near his family. Mr. Kerfont worked closely with his brother-in-law, Robert Hartford, in the forestry industry and helped his sister around the house. [ 4 ] At the time of the trial, A.B. was 25 years of age. As a child, he lived with his mother and three sisters. While his mother worked, he and his siblings were often babysat.
One of the children’s babysitters was Gloria Hartford, a family friend. [ 5 ] T he alleged assaults against A.B. occurred at the Hartford home between 1998 and 2000. Five separate assaults were described by A.B. at trial and included acts of fellatio and anal intercourse, all said to have occurred when A.B. was approximately six or seven years of age. A.B. was the only boy being cared for by Mrs. Hartford at the time and he was often sent outside to play. A.B. alleged that is where he came into contact with Mr. Kerfont. Although A.B. said he was sexually assaulted by Mr.
Kerfont on “at least 100 occasions’, at trial he refused to testify regarding each incident stating, “one incident of abuse was too much.” Regardless, he alleged the abuse was frequent, perhaps “a couple of times per week.” At trial, A.B. testified to five incidents in particular. [ 6 ] According to A.B., the first incident occurred in a camper trailer located in the Hartford’s yard. A.B. said Mr. Kerfont took him into the camper and showed him his penis, then put it in A.B.’s mouth. Mr. Kerfont then subjected A.B. to anal intercourse. A.B. recounted that after the incident he was warned by Mr.
Kerfont not to tell anyone or “he would be in the worst trouble of his life.” After the assault, A.B. sat outside with the Hartford’s dog, Patches. This theme was repeated throughout the incidents of abuse. The threat resonated with A.B., as, according to him, he and his siblings were often subjected to physical abuse by their mother for the slightest transgressions and he did not want to endure further physical abuse. [ 7 ] The second incident occurred within a couple of weeks of the first. At the time, he had been at the Hartfords’ residence for the day. He was playing outside and became wet.
He was sent into the house, to Mrs. Hartford’s son’s room, with Mr. Kerfont, to find a pair of socks. A.B. contended he was once again assaulted by Mr. Kerfont in the same manner as the first incident. [ 8 ] The third incident was alleged to have occurred in the Hartford’s garage, an area the children were not permitted to be. Mr. Kerfont flipped A.B.’s winter jacket up and unbuckled the straps to his snow pants. Again, A.B. was subjected to anal intercourse. At some point during the assault, Mrs. Hartford called for Mr.
Kerfont from the house so he helped A.B. dress and sent him outside. [ 9 ] The fourth incident occurred in a shed located in the Hartford’s yard. A.B. recalled he was sitting on a bench situated inside of the shed, facing a window that looked onto the driveway of the Hartford home, while Mr. Kerfont performed fellatio upon him. A.B.’s mother drove into the driveway and that put an end to the assault. A.B. was hastily dressed and sent outside to meet his mother who was unaware of the occurrence of the assault. [ 10 ] The final incident occurred in the Hartford’s large, 4’ x 8’, doghouse.
According to A.B. it was not uncommon for him to sit in it with the Hartford’s dog. According to A.B., Mr. Kerfont crawled into the doghouse with him and pulled his pants down to try and get A.B. to touch him. A.B. said he was crying and when Mr. Kerfont reached out to touch A.B. the dog tried to bite him. [ 11 ] A.B. did not disclose the assaults until 2012, when he discussed them with a close friend. The police were not involved until 2016. [ 12 ] In his statement to police, A.B. stated Mr. Kerfont was omnipresent at the Hartford home while he was babysat there. Although Mrs. Hartford was the babysitter, Mr.
Kerfont helped. A.B. said he felt safer at the home when Mr. Hartford was around. A.B. related to the police many more incidents than the five described above. [ 13 ] The police investigation resulted in Mr. Kerfont being charged. He was tried in the Provincial Court. [ 14 ] Counsel for the defence led evidence suggesting A.B.’s recollections were flawed. The defence alleged that because Mr. Kerfont worked with Mr. Hartford in the woods, A.B.’s memory of Mr. Kerfont always being present at the Hartford home was mistaken.
According to the defence, the two men worked together, and you would not find one without the other. Therefore, A.B.’s recollection that he was safer at the residence when Mr. Hartford was present is unreliable as Mr. Hartford and Mr. Kerfont were rarely
home. Also, the defence pointed out the significant differences between the statement made to police and the trial testimony respecting the number of incidents of sexual assault. [ 15 ] The principal arguments relating to the facts at trial focused on the apparent “inconsistencies” between A.B.’s statement to police and his testimony.
The arguments focused on whether there was opportunity to commit the offences in light of the evidence of Robert and Gloria Hartford. [ 16 ] In his decision, the trial judge reviewed the law regarding presumption of innocence, reasonable doubt, the burden of proof on the Crown to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and the obligation upon himself to evaluate all the evidence as a whole.
He also discussed the jurisprudence pertaining to witnesses who describe experiences that occurred when they were children, and how he had to determine what effect, if any, the discrepancies between A.B.’s statement to police and his testimony would have on his overall assessment of A.B.’s credibility and reliability. [ 17 ] In the end, the trial judge found A.B.’s evidence credible and reliable with respect to the salient facts. He found opportunity existed and the Crown had established its case beyond a reasonable doubt. Mr. Kerfont appeals his conviction and seeks leave to appeal the sentence. III.
Grounds of Appeal [ 18 ] Mr. Kerfont asks this Court to quash the conviction and direct a judgment of acquittal be entered. In the alternative, he asks that the conviction be quashed, and a new trial ordered. The grounds of appeal against conviction are as follows: 1) The verdict is unreasonable or cannot be supported by the evidence in that a properly instructed trier of fact, acting judicially, could not reasonably find the appellant guilty; and 2) The trial judge misapprehended the evidence resulting in a miscarriage of justice. [ 19 ] Mr.
Kerfont further applies for leave to appeal the sentence of incarceration for five years. [ 20 ] If leave is granted, he requests the court to allow the appeal and vary the sentence. The grounds of appeal against sentence are the trial judge erred: 1) in law by misapplying judicial precedents. 2) in principle by focusing on general deterrence to the exclusion of other sentencing principles. 3) in principle in imposing a sentence that was unreasonable. A. Appeal against conviction 1.
Unreasonable verdict / Miscarriage of justice [ 21 ] The authority of an appellate court to allow an appeal against conviction in a case such as this is grounded in ss. 686(1)(a)(
i) and (iii):
Powers of the Court of Appeal 686
(1) On the hearing of an appeal against aconviction or against a verdict that theappellant is unfit to stand trial or notcriminally responsible on account of mentaldisorder, the court of appeal (
a) may allow the appeal where it is of theopinion that (
i) the verdict should be set aside on theground that it is unreasonable or cannot besupported by the evidence, […] (iii) on any ground there was a miscarriage ofjustice[.] Pouvoirs de la cour d’appel 686
(1) Lors de l’audition d’un appel d’unedéclaration de culpabilité ou d’un verdictd’inaptitude à subir son procès ou de non-responsabilité criminelle pour cause detroubles mentaux, la cour d’appel :
a) peut admettre l’appel, si elle est d’avis,selon le cas : (
i) que le verdict devrait être rejeté pour lemotif qu’il est déraisonnable ou ne peut pass’appuyer sur la preuve, […] (iii) que, pour un motif quelconque, il y a euerreur judiciaire[.] [22] In Melanson v. R., 2018 NBCA 61, [2018] N.B.J. No. 212 (QL), Green J.A. states: Although Yebes dealt with a verdict delivered in a jury trial, the Supreme Court has made clear appellate courts are to follow the sameapproach in determining the reasonableness of verdicts in judge-alone trials. In R. v.
Biniaris, 2000 SCC 15, [2000] 1 S.C.R. 381, thecourt reaffirms the Yebes test and discusses its applicability in cases of “a judge sitting at trial without a jury”: The test for an appellate court determining whether the verdict of a jury or the judgment of a trial judge is unreasonable or cannot besupported by the evidence has been unequivocally expressed in Yebes as follows: [C]urial review is invited whenever a jury goes beyond a reasonable standard[...]. [T]he test is ‘whether the verdict is one that a properlyinstructed jury acting judicially, could reasonably have rendered’. (Yebes, supra, at p. 185 (quoting Corbett v.
The Queen, (SCC), [1975] 2 S.C.R. 275, at p. 282, per Pigeon J.).) That formulation of the test imports both an objective assessment and, to some extent, a subjective one. It requires the appeal court todetermine what verdict a reasonable jury, properly instructed, could judicially have arrived at, and, in doing so, to review, analyse and,within the limits of appellate disadvantage, weigh the evidence. This latter process is usually understood as referring to a subjectiveexercise, requiring the appeal court to examine the weight of the evidence, rather than its bare sufficiency.
The test is therefore mixed,and it is more helpful to articulate what the application of that test entails, than to characterize it as either an objective or a subjective test. [para. 12] [23] The issue to determine on appeal is the reasonableness of the guilty verdict based on the whole of the evidencethat was accepted by the trial judge. In Melanson, this Court wrote: Our task in Mr. Melanson’s appeal, therefore, is to determine the reasonableness of the guilty verdict based “on the whole of theevidence”.
To accomplish this task, we must “re-examine and to some extent reweigh and consider the effect of the evidence”. Since this
case depends on circumstantial evidence, the question to be answered is the following: Could the trial judge, acting judicially, “reasonably be satisfied” that Mr. Melanson’s guilt “was the only reasonable conclusion available on the totality of the evidence”? [para. 14] See Gillis v. R ., 2014 NBCA 58 , 426 N.B.R. (2d) 1; Oland v. R. , 2016 NBCA 58 , [2016] N.B.J. No. 230 (QL); Lecompte v. R. , 2018 NBCA 33 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 130 (QL), Gavin v. R ., 2019 NBCA 19 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 42 (QL). 2. Application to this case (
a) Alleged errors respecting the testimony of witnesses [ 24 ] Mr. Kerfont alleges an unreasonable conviction and a miscarriage of justice has occurred on the basis the trial judge made errors in his consideration of the testimony of witnesses. He contends the trial judge misapprehended the evidence and made errors in his assessment of the evidence, which were material to his determination that the Crown had proven beyond a reasonable doubt Mr. Kerfont had sexually assaulted A.B. Mr.
Kerfont submits the errors are: 1) With respect to A.B.’s credibility, his evidence during direct examination differed from the statement he made to the police regarding his presence at the Hartford residence while Mr. Kerfont was there. During cross-examination, A.B. was questioned about the discrepancy in his direct testimony where he stated Mr. Kerfont was at the Hartford residence “a couple of times a week” whereas in his statement to police he stated although Mrs. Hartford was the caregiver, Mr. Kerfont was always there and helped look after the children. Mr.
Kerfont submits this is critical considering the frequency of the alleged assaults. 2) With respect to the discrepancy in the number of assaults contained in the police statement and A.B.’s testimony, the judge, in his oral decision, said the difference in the number of assaults had to be considered in light of the experiences of a young person. Mr. Kerfont claims the judge erred because the statement was given to the police when A.B. was an adult. He says the trial judge erred by acknowledging this discrepancy but relying on jurisprudence that concerned child witnesses.
The trial judge referred to A.B.’s testimony as being that of a young person experiencing abuse and recalling it in a certain way and when A.B. said there were 100 incidents, it was not to be taken literally but rather, that A.B. meant to convey persistent abuse. Mr. Kerfont says the difference in A.B.’s evidence ought to have concerned the trial judge, particularly when A.B. testified he was assaulted multiple times per day. Mr. Kerfont submits in order for the assaults as described by A.B. to have occurred, Mr.
Kerfont would have to have been at the Hartford property more frequently than A.B. testified to at trial. 3) Mr. Kerfont submits the trial judge misapprehended the evidence of Mr. and Mrs. Hartford regarding the timeframe that Mrs. Hartford babysat A.B. Mrs. Hartford was clear it was for a few months in the spring of one year until the end of June when school ended. Mr. Hartford testified that his wife babysat A.B. and his siblings for only a few months and not during wreath-making season which would have made an assault in the fall of the year impossible. Mr. Kerfont says the trial judge misinterpreted Mr.
Hartford’s testimony regarding the number of occasions A.B.’s mother arrived late to pick up the children. Mr. Kerfont submits the evidence regarding the length of time Mrs. Hartford babysat A.B. and his siblings was critical to the defence’s position that A.B. and Mr. Kerfont were not at the Hartford property at the same time. The trial judge did not find it implausible that the abuse occurred, and the defence evidence did not eliminate the existence of opportunity. Mr. Kerfont purports in doing this, the trial judge shifted the burden of proof from the Crown to the defence. 4) Mr. Kerfont submits Mrs.
Hartford’s testimony was clear that when Mr. Hartford worked, Mr. Kerfont was always with him. Furthermore, she testified he did not help her babysit A.B. and his siblings. Mrs. Hartford contradicted A.B.’s evidence that he was sent outside with Mr. Kerfont. Mr. Kerfont contends the trial judge did not consider Mrs. Hartford’s evidence on this point. 5) Mr. Kerfont submits the trial judge erred in his treatment of defence evidence respecting the implausibility of the incidents alleged by A.B.
He says where the Crown’s case is wholly dependent on A.B.’s testimony, the credibility and reliability of his evidence must be tested in light of all of the evidence. Mr. Kerfont’s position is that rather than testing A.B.’s evidence against the implausibility of the assaults occurring in the manner described by A.B., the trial judge discounted the potential of the implausibility raising a reasonable doubt, that the defence evidence did not eliminate the possibility existed. [ 25 ] The grounds set out in the Notice of Appeal do not correspond to these arguments. Mr.
Kerfont is challenging the trial judge’s assessment of A.B.’s credibility and the manner in which the judge weighed the evidence of Gloria and Robert Hartford
and other defence witnesses. He further submits the judge misapprehended evidence and made errors in his assessment of evidencewhich were material to his findings of fact, all of which resulted in an unreasonable verdict. Mr. Kerfont has misstated the standard ofreview. Properly worded, this ground of appeal should have been framed as a palpable and overriding error in the judge’s assessment ofcredibility and fact. I will address the arguments Mr. Kerfont made on the basis of whether the facts as found by the trial judge couldreasonably have led to a conviction. (
b) The jurisprudence [26] Recently in Gavin, LaVigne J.A. discussed the applicable principles regarding unreasonable verdicts,misapprehension of evidence, and miscarriages of justice: The Court may also find a verdict unreasonable if the trial judge has drawn an inference or made a finding of fact essential to the verdictthat (1) is plainly contradicted by the evidence relied on by the trial judge in support of that inference or finding, or (2) is shown to beincompatible with evidence that has not otherwise been contradicted or rejected by the trial judge: R. v. R.P., 2012 SCC 22, [2012] 1S.C.R. 746, at para. 9. Section 686(1)(a)(
i) of the Criminal Code dictates a full review of the evidential record. However, at the end of the required evidentialre-examination and to some extent re-weighing, it is the probative effect of the totality of the evidence that is determinative, not theprobative value of individual pieces of evidence in isolation from their context: see Oland, at para. 29. Furthermore, when reviewing thetrial judge’s assessments of credibility, the Court can only interfere if it is established they cannot be supported on any reasonable viewof the evidence: see R. v. R.P., at para. 10.
Whereas the question of whether a verdict is reasonable is one of law, whether a witness is credible is a question of fact. Findings of fact,including credibility findings, deserve deference. As an appellate court, we do not have the advantage of seeing and hearing thewitnesses. The standard of appellate review on issues of credibility was restated by Drapeau C.J.N.B (as he then was) in Gillis, at paras 74-75: theCourt must defer to the findings of credibility of the trial judge unless a palpable and overriding error can be shown.
The standard for appellate intervention based on evidential misapprehension is stringent. The misapprehension must go to the substancerather than to detail; must be material, rather than peripheral to the reasoning of the trial judge; and the errors must play an essential partin the reasoning process resulting in conviction and rendering the trial unfair: R. v. Lohrer, 2004 SCC 80, [2004] 3 S.C.R. 732, at para.2, and Gillis, at para. 76.
Any error, including one involving a misapprehension of the evidence by the trial judge, is assessed byreference to its impact on the fairness of the trial. [paras. 9-13] [27] Although s. 686(1)(a)(
i) requires this Court to review all of the evidence that was before the trial judge, it doesnot permit us to substitute our opinion for that of the trial judge simply because we would have come to a different conclusion on thesame evidence (see R. v. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 SCR 168, [1987] S.C.J. No. 51 (QL)). [28] In R. v. Shaoulle, 2016 SCC 16, [2016] 1 S.C.R. 268, the Supreme Court dismissed an appeal for the samereasons as the majority of the Court of Appeal for Saskatchewan, (2015 SKCA 101, [2015] S.J. No. 492 (QL)) which upheld theaccused’s conviction for first degree murder. Mr.
Shaoulle’s sole ground of appeal before both the Supreme Court and the Court ofAppeal for Saskatchewan was the verdict was unreasonable or could not be supported by the evidence. In the case before us, the Crownsummarized in its written submission, the salient principles delineated in Shaoulle which are to be considered in cases where anunreasonable verdict is alleged to be the outcome of a judge-alone trial. I am reproducing its
summary: a. the Court must determine on the whole of the evidence whether the verdict is one that a properly instructed jury, acting judicially,could reasonably have rendered; b. to apply the test the Court must re-examine and to some extent reweigh and consider the effect of the evidence;
c. this process will be the same whether the case is based on circumstantial or direct evidence; d. the review for unreasonableness on appeal is different, however, and somewhat easier when the judgment under attack is that of asingle judge; e. the reviewing appellate court may be able to identify a flaw in the evaluation of the evidence, or in the analysis, that will serve toexplain the unreasonable conclusion reached, and justify the reversal; f. the court of appeal often can and should identify the defects in the analysis that led the trier of fact to an unreasonableconclusion.
The court of appeal will therefore be justified to intervene and set aside a verdict as unreasonable when the reasons of thetrial judge reveal that he or she was not alive to an applicable legal principle, or entered a verdict inconsistent with the factualconclusions reached; g. the Supreme Court clarified that where a judge sitting without a jury gives detailed reasons for judgment, and the judge is alive tothe recurrent problems of adjudication, the court of appeal brings no special insight to the assessment of evidence.
One matter inparticular is addressed: while reweighing the evidence is part of the task of an appellate court when addressing the issue of whether theverdict is unreasonable, the court should not intervene merely because it has a doubt where the trial judge did not; and h. as part of the assessment for unreasonableness, it is useful to begin with a review of what was argued at trial and how the judgeassessed those arguments. [Emphasis in original.] [29] In my view, the evidence at trial was primarily based upon the reliability of the direct evidence of A.B., whowas a young boy at the time of the assaults, considering the evidence introduced on behalf of Mr.
Kerfont by his sister, brother-in-lawand two family friends. The trial judge assessed the credibility of all of the witnesses and, although he found the defence witnesses to becredible, he said the following: […] Opportunity existed. People may think that they would notice abuse if it were occurring but unfortunately this activity is not alwaysdiscovered, and allegations of abuse often galvanize each side based upon their own beliefs. One would always hope that they can spotthe signs of abuse, but that is often not the case.
Children are often told not to tell anyone what is happening. [Transcript, June 3, 2019, p. 31] [30] As stated earlier, Mr. Kerfont argues there are five occasions when the trial judge misapprehended evidence,specifically pertaining to the credibility and reliability of A.B.’s testimony. Mr. Kerfont submits this played an essential role in thejudge’s reasoning. In R. v. Morrissey, (ON CA), [1995] O.J.
No. 639 (C.A.) (QL), misapprehension of evidence isdescribed as the “failure to consider evidence relevant to a material issue, a mistake as to the substance of the evidence, or a failure togive proper effect to the evidence” (para. 83). [31] In R. v. Lohrer, 2004 SCC 80, [2004] 3 S.C.R. 732, the Supreme Court wrote that an appeal formisapprehension of evidence requires that the alleged error be material, not peripheral, to the reasoning of the trial judge, and the errormust play an essential
part in the reasoning process resulting in a conviction. The Alberta Court of Appeal, in R. v. Lee, 2010 ABCA 1,[2010] A.J. No. 72 (QL), affirmed by SCC, 2010 SCC 52, [2010] 3 S.C.R. 99, addressed differences between the Biniaris test forunreasonable verdict, and the test in Lohrer for misapprehension of evidence: In this case the Crown argued that the Biniaris test applies, but the appellant disclaimed any reliance on Biniaris. Rather, the appellantargued that the trial judge had “misapprehended the evidence”. The standard of review in this type of appeal is set out in R. v.
Lohrer,2004 SCC 80, [2004] 3 S.C.R. 732 at para. 1, quoting from R. v. Morrissey (1995), (ON CA), 22 O.R. (3d) 514, 97C.C.C. (3d) 193 (C.A.) at p. 541: Where a trial judge is mistaken as to the substance of material parts of the evidence and those errors play an essential
part in thereasoning process resulting in a conviction, then, in my view, the accused's conviction is not based exclusively on the evidence and is not
a “true” verdict. The test is stringent, and the error “must play an essential part not just in the narrative of the judgment but ‘in the reasoning processresulting in a conviction’”: Lohrer at para. 2. It is unclear whether the test really adds anything to the “palpable and overriding error”standard of review generally applied to findings of fact and credibility, excepting to convert it into an issue of law.
As pointed out inBiniaris at paras. 23, 26, this type of error is characterized as an error of law partly for forensic reasons, to permit appellate review incases of clear injustice when an appeal is only available on a point of law. [para. 8] [32] In Thomas v. R., 2007 NBCA 3, 310 N.B.R. (2d) 342, this Court discusses grounds of appeal which are anattempt to mask findings of fact as errors of law: Mr. Thomas raises 6 [six] grounds of appeal alleging either error in law or an unreasonable verdict.
With respect, while his grounds ofappeal are cunningly crafted in an attempt to camouflage what were in effect factual and credibility findings as errors of law, the truenature of this appeal remains an attack on the factual findings of the trial judge on the basis of the credibility findings that he made.
Mr.Thomas takes issue with the trial judge’s acceptance of, and reliance on, the testimony of Kirby and Sonya MacLeod, arguing that theyhad had an opportunity to discuss the events before being called to testify and that there were some inconsistencies in their testimony thatought to have raised a reasonable doubt. Disguising a ground of appeal as a question of law does not make it a question of law. As stated in R. v. Simon, [1999] N.B.J. No. 393(C.A.) (QL) and R. v. Boudreau, [2004] N.B.J. No. 416 (C.A.)(QL), 2004 NBCA 87, and recently repeated in Moffitt v.
R., [2006] N.B.J.No. 464 (C.A.) (QL), 2006 NBCA 100, the credibility of trial witnesses is not a question of law alone. [paras. 8-9] [Emphasis added.] [33] In my opinion, this is precisely what Mr. Kerfont is attempting to do; camouflage alleged factual andcredibility findings as errors of law. In reality, he is attacking factual findings made by the trial judge. No question of law exists. (
c) Provincial Court judge’s decision [34] Mr. Kerfont’s primary issue is with the findings of fact and credibility made by the trial judge. This Courtowes deference to findings of fact and credibility. Although the test in Lohrer may characterize findings of fact and credibility as errorsof law, this hurdle is only overcome in clear cases of injustice. In my view that is not the case before us. The trial judge said: I must decide, looking at the evidence as a whole, whether the Crown has proven Mr. Kerfont’s guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If Ihave a reasonable doubt about Mr.
Kerfont’s guilt arising from the evidence, the absence of evidence, or the credibility or reliability ofone or more of the witnesses, then he must be found not guilty. Reasonable doubt applies to the issue of credibility. On any given point,I may believe a witness, disbelieve a witness, or not be able to decide. I need not fully believe or disbelieve one witness or a group ofwitness – group of witnesses. If I have a reasonable doubt about Kenneth Kerfont’s guilt arising from the credibility of the witnesses,then he must be found not guilty.
Both the Crown and Defence narrowed the issue to be whether the evidence of the complainants isboth credible and reliable. It is apparent that the events complained as having occurred against each of them was while they were in thevery early years of their formal education, grades 1 and 2 and 3 or 4 of elementary school; clearly under the age of 14. Consent cannot beobtained from a person under the age of 14 to engage in the activity complained. Clearly if the evidence of the complainants is acceptedthey were too young to consent to sexual activity with Mr.
Kerfont. […] With respect to [A.B.] I find that his evidence is compelling,delivered in an emotional and raw manner; however, that in and of itself is insufficient to ground a finding of guilt beyond a reasonabledoubt. The Defence provided reference to R v. G.W. (ONCA).
In that decision reading from paragraph 14 onward: [14] The proper approach to the burden of proof is to consider all of the evidence together and not to assess individual items of evidencein isolation: … This is particularly true where the Crown’s case depends solely on the unsupported evidence of the complainants andwhere the principal issue is those witnesses’ credibility and reliability. As Rowles J.A. emphasized in R. v. R.W.B. (1993), 40 W.A.C. 1(B.C.C.A), these issues are not to be determined in isolation.
She said at p. 9: Where, as here, the case for the Crown is wholly dependent upon the testimony of the complainant, it is essential that the credibility andreliability of the complainant’s evidence be tested in the light of all of the other evidence presented. [Emphasis added.] [Transcript, June 3, 2019, pp. 20-25]
The trial judge determined A.B.’s evidence was credible and reliable with respect to the salient facts. [35] Mr. Kerfont contends the trial judge misapprehended the material evidence which played an essential
part inhis reasoning. The judge addressed four of the five alleged misapprehensions of the evidence in the following portion of the decision: The heinous nature of the acts complained of almost lends to a belief in the implausibility that an adult would behave in such a mannertowards a defenseless child at a significant disadvantage of size and equality.” Unfortunately, time and again we have been witness toincidents of this mistaken belief. The Defence points out exaggerations of [A.B.] that have been scaled back and inconsistencies withrespect to Mr. Kerfont’s presence in the home.
As stated before, [A.B.] stated the abuse happened a hundred times and seemed daily. Toa young person experiencing abuse, I can only assume that it would seem that way. His evidence at trial gave examples well short of thatbut nevertheless too many for any person, particularly one of a tender age to endure. I don’t believe that his statement to Constable Henrythat 100 incidents was intended to be literal, but a statement intended to convey the persistence of the abuse. With respect to Mr. Kerfontalways being around and abuse not happening while Mr.
Hartford was home, one must remember that [A.B.] was attending school andnot at the home all day. And there certainly would be instances when Mr. Kerfont, even if working in the woods, would be there at thesame time as the children because remember Robert Hartford was frustrated that the children would still be there when he got home, that[A.B.]’s mother was late picking them up frequently, to the point that it was a point of irritation for Mr. Hartford and a reason he wantedMrs. Hartford to give up babysitting the [B.] kids.
Evidence of the Defence also supports [A.B.’s] claims of where abuse often occurred;that is outside the home. At the end of the day it was apparently Mr. Kerfont’s responsibility to ensure that the equipment was cleanedand put away ready for the next day. While Mr. Hartford in his evidence said that he – said he’d be – get cleaned up and relax. The hoursthat they returned from work would vary and there were occasions when they couldn’t work; particularly in the spring. So, Mr. Kerfontwould be outside in the yard, in the garage or the shed at the end of the day. [A.B.] was also outside a lot.
He says he was sent outside toplay; Mrs. Hartford said that he played outside. In those circumstances I don’t find it implausible that the abuse could have occurred.Certainly, there would be opportunity, if opportunity was being sought. [A.B.] further states that he felt safer when Mr. Hartford wasaround lending to his suggestion that Mr. Hartford and Mr. Kerfont didn’t work together but that was – but that he was seldom there. Oncross examination he acknowledges that that’s what he remembers but also added he doesn’t pair the two; Robert’s presence and beingmolested.
That’s not his memory, it’s the memory of being a 5 or 6 year old boy. Children remember thing – children remember thingsdifferently than adults. The critical issue is the abuse itself as opposed to the actual employment issues. [A.B.] was asked if heremembered any sensory issues relating to Mr. Kerfont. He responded that Mr. Kerfont wasn’t circumcised and that he smelled of bodyodor. The presence of body odor would certainly be expected at the end of a long day, while putting tools and machinery away beforegetting cleaned up and having dinner. The Defence evidence doesn’t eliminate that opportunity existed.
Opportunity did not exist to thepoint of 100 instances, however. But I don’t believe that his statement of 100 instances very early in his video taped interview withConstable Henry was intended to be taken as literal, only the continuing nature of the abuse; it is hyperbole. I find his evidence credibleand reliable with respect to the salient facts and that is that sexual abuse occurred.
Opportunity existed. [Transcript, June 3, 2019, pp. 20-31] [36] With respect to the contention the trial judge erred by relying on jurisprudence respecting child witnesses, thetrial judge accounted for and explained the alleged inconsistencies between A.B.’s statement to police and his testimony at trial. Thejudge concluded that A.B. was using hyperbole when he described being assaulted over a hundred times. The trial judge accepted thatmultiple assaults to a child might feel like hundreds of times.
The trial judge stated: The evidence of [A.B.] was that the assaults were constant and unrelenting abuse given opportunity. With respect to conflicting ormissing details, R. v. W.(R.), (SCC), [1992] 2 S.C.R. 122, and R. v. D.M.S., 2014 NBCA 3, the evidence of a childwitness is not to be considered inherently unreliable. In this instance both complainants are young men, but recounting experiences aschildren. The common-sense approach should be taken with evidence of children or recollections from childhood. Courts have beencautioned not to impose the same exacting standards on the evidence as it does on adults.
However, this is not to say that Courts shouldnot carefully assess the credibility of child witnesses or witnesses testifying to childhood experiences. Further children’s evidence shouldbe treated with caution where caution is merited in the circumstances of the case. In assessing credibility and reliability of thecomplainants’ evidence, I may find that a witness said one thing in the witness box and something different about the same subject on anearlier occasion; this may be a factor in assessing the witness’ credibility. Clearly, this is an issue with respect to [A.B.]’s evidence.
Ihave to determine what effect any differences will have on the overall assessment of the witness’ credibility. They may have a hugeeffect, or no effect, or somewhere in between; not every difference is important. I must consider the extent and nature of any difference.Was it on a central point or something peripheral? I must consider any explanation the witness gave. Was the explanation satisfactory?The Defence’s position again is that there is a significant difference in the presence of Mr. Kerfont in the home while the [B.] kids werebeing babysat. Mr. [B.] suggests he was around constantly, helping Mrs.
Hartford while the Defence evidence suggests that he was withMr. Hartford in the woods, around only when the weather conditions were such that he couldn’t go to work in the woods, suggestingthere was a change in the narrative when Mr. [B.] became aware of the alibi evidence being put forward by the Defence. They furtherstate that there is a lack of objective plausibility to both complainants’ evidence in that it is highly implausible that Mr. Kerfont wouldengage in such high-risk behavior in or around the home when others are present.
The nature of the sexual assaults complained does notmatch up with the opportunity to commit the acts significantly impacting the reliability of the complainants’ evidence. [Transcript, June3, 2019, pp. 21-24]
Therefore, it is apparent the trial judge did not err in his approach to evidence that is a childhood recollection. [37] Additionally, the trial judge reviewed and then assessed the evidence of Gloria and Robert Hartford on theissue of opportunity and determined opportunity could have existed and their evidence did not preclude such events. In fact, it wouldhave been unreasonable for the trial judge to have relied on the evidence of the Hartfords to conclude the offences did not happen.
It issimply implausible to suggest that Gloria and Robert Hartford were constantly present, and able to be aware of all goings-on in their busyhousehold at all material times. [38] This situation included direct evidence, a case where acceptance of A.B.’s evidence could reasonably result ina conviction. The trial judge assessed the credibility of all witnesses. He accepted the defence’s evidence but all it amounted to, in theend, was that although a hundred incidents did not occur, there was opportunity for the assaults testified to by A.B. and he believed A.B.He said: Notwithstanding the positions stated by Mrs.
Hartford that it just never happened, based on the foundation that she never noticed [A.B.]upset in any way and her hope and expectation that she would recognize something was wrong, it still could have transpired as [A.B.]testified. There was no reason for [Mr. Kerfont] and [A.B.] not to be outside together, or indeed together at any time. [Transcript, June 3, 2019, p. 16] [39] The trial judge was satisfied the Crown had proven the offences respecting A.B. beyond a reasonable doubt.He summarized the evidence in detail, and he applied the law concerning credibility properly.
In my view, the trial judge did not commitan error in law. His findings were the result of the application of a legally correct framework to the evidence before him. [40] Mr. Kerfont bears the burden of establishing verdict unreasonableness under s. 686(1)(a)(i). He has notdischarged that burden. After reviewing the transcript, and analyzing the trial judge’s decision, I conclude the trial judge did not commitany palpable and overriding error in his assessment of the evidence and the verdict was not unreasonable.
The trial judge did not drawany inferences or make findings of fact that were incompatible with evidence that was not otherwise contradicted or rejected. (
d) Insufficiency of reasons [41] In his written brief, Mr. Kerfont discusses S.S. v. R., 2011 NBCA 75, 376 N.B.R. (2d) 146. Although noargument accompanies the citation, Mr. Kerfont indicates the case stands for the importance for trial judges to provide reasons forconclusions respecting credibility and reasonableness. In Frigault v.
R., 2012 NBCA 8, 383 N.B.R. (2d) 266, this Court referred to R. v.R.E.M., 2008 SCC 51, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3 and held that: “appellate intervention should be avoided unless the judge’s reasons are deficientto the point of foreclosing meaningful appellate review.” Further citing R.E.M., this Court stated: Mr. Frigault contends the judge erred in law by failing to provide sufficient reasons. The Supreme Court’s most recent pronouncementrespecting sufficiency of reasons is found in R. v. R.E.M., 2008 SCC 51, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3: In R. v.
Walker, [2008] 2 S.C.R. 245, 2008 SCC 34, the issue was whether the trial judge’s reasons had adequately detailed the path tothe verdict. Binnie J., writing for the Court, held that while the reasons “fell well short of the ideal”, they were not so impaired that theCrown's right of appeal was impaired. He stated: “Reasons are sufficient if they are responsive to the case’s live issues and the parties’key arguments. Their sufficiency should be measured not in the abstract, but as they respond to the substance of what was in issue”. In
summary, the cases confirm:
(1) Appellate courts are to take a functional, substantive approach to sufficiency of reasons, reading them as a whole, in the context ofthe evidence, the arguments and the trial, with an appreciation of the purposes or functions for which they are delivered (see Sheppard,at paras. 46 and 50; Morrissey, [ (ON CA), [1995] O.J. No. 639 (QL)] at p. 524).
(2) The basis for the trial judge's verdict must be “intelligible”, or capable of being made out. In other words, a logical connection
between the verdict and the basis for the verdict must be apparent. A detailed description of the judge’s process in arriving at the verdictis unnecessary.
(3) In determining whether the logical connection between the verdict and the basis for the verdict is established, one looks to theevidence, the submissions of counsel and the history of the trial to determine the “live” issues as they emerged during the trial. This
summary is not exhaustive, and courts of appeal might wish to refer themselves to para. 55 of Sheppard for a more comprehensivelist of the key principles. [para. 9] [42] In my view, the trial judge undertook an extensive review of the evidence and explained his credibilityfindings. He discussed and resolved the inconsistencies in the evidence. The reasons provided by the trial judge allow meaningfulappellate review. There is no merit to this argument. B. Appeal against sentence [43] Mr. Kerfont requires leave from this Court to appeal his sentence. In R. v.
Lacasse, 2015 SCC 64, [2015] 3S.C.R. 1089, the Supreme Court expanded the scope of deference to be afforded trial judge’s decisions respecting sentences. TheSupreme Court explains: In my view, an error in principle, the failure to consider a relevant factor or the erroneous consideration of an aggravating or mitigatingfactor will justify appellate intervention only where it appears from the trial judge's decision that such an error had an impact on thesentence. [para. 44] [44] This Court has repeatedly stated the standard of review of sentencing is as delineated in R. v. LeBlanc, 2003NBCA 75, 264 N.B.R. (2d) 341.
Drapeau C.J.N.B. (as he then was) wrote that at least one of the following questions must be answeredin the affirmative in order to vary a sentence: A number of recent decisions including, among others, R. v. H.S.L. (2000), 2000 NBCA 54 , 231 N.B.R. (2d) 358 (C.A.), atpara. 28, R. v. Parent (D.) (2001), 2001 NBCA 60 , 236 N.B.R. (2d) 370 (C.A.), at para. 8, R. v. R.P. (2001), 2001 NBCA 115, 245 N.B.R. (2d) 179 (C.A.), at para. 11, R. v. Daigle (M.), [2002] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 4 (C.A.), at para. 8, R. v. Kerton(R.E.) et al. (2002), 2002 NBCA 40 , 250 N.B.R. (2d) 177 (C.A.), at para. 25, and R. v.
Kuriya, 2003 NBCA 63 ,[2003] N.B.J. No. 336 (Q.L.) (C.A.) at paras. 20-21, stand for the proposition that intervention on appeal against sentence isinappropriate unless at least one of the following questions is answered affirmatively:
(1) Is the sentence the result of an error of law? (2)Did the sentencing judge err in principle in the exercise of his or her discretion?
(3) Is the sentence clearly unreasonable having regard tothe fundamental purpose and objectives of sentencing (s. 718), as well as the principles enunciated in sections 718.1 and 718.2 of theCriminal Code? [para. 17] [45] The sentence imposed by the trial judge was not the result of an error of law; he did not err in principle whenhe exercised his discretion; and the sentence is not unreasonable taking into consideration the purpose and principles set out in s.718-718.2 of the Criminal Code. The trial judge was well within the appropriate range of sentence according to recent jurisprudence onthe issue.
The sentence imposed was reasonable and intervention by this Court is not warranted. IV. Conclusion [46] There is no basis for appellate intervention in this case. Accordingly, I would dismiss the appeal againstconviction and deny leave to appeal the sentence. Consequently, I would revoke Mr. Kerfont’s release from custody pending thedetermination of his appeal and order him to surrender himself forthwith into the custody of the appropriate correctional authorities.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] En mars 2019, Kenneth Joseph Kerfont a subi son procès pour agression sexuelle à l’endroit de deux jeunes garçons. Dans la première dénonciation, il était accusé d’avoir agressé sexuellement A.B. entre septembre 1998 et juin 2000. Dans la deuxième dénonciation, il était accusé d’avoir agressé sexuellement un autre garçon entre janvier 1995 et décembre 1997. Les deux chefs d’accusation font chacun état d’une infraction visée à l’ alinéa 271(1)
a) du Code criminel . [2] M. Kerfont a été reconnu coupable quant à la première inculpation et acquitté quant à la deuxième. Une peine de cinq ans d’emprisonnement et de 12 mois de probation lui a été infligée. Le juge du procès a aussi rendu plusieurs ordonnances accessoires. M. Kerfont affirme que le verdict était déraisonnable et que le juge du procès a interprété la preuve erronément, de sorte qu’une erreur judiciaire a été commise. Je ne suis pas du même avis. II. Faits [3] Au moment des agressions présumées, M.
Kerfont habitait avec sa sœur, Gloria Hartford, ainsi que son mari Robert Hartford et le reste de leur famille. M. Kerfont est le cadet d’une famille de 15 enfants qui sont nés à Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador, mais qui ont déménagé, pour bon nombre, dans le comté de Charlotte, au Nouveau-Brunswick. À 17 ans, M. Kerfont a décidé de déménager pour se rapprocher de sa famille. Il a travaillé étroitement avec son beau-frère, Robert Hartford, dans le secteur forestier et il donnait un coup de main à sa sœur à la maison. [4] Au moment du procès, A.B. était âgé de 25 ans. Enfant, il vivait avec sa mère et ses trois sœurs.
Lorsque la mère était au travail, A.B. et ses sœurs étaient souvent laissés aux soins de gardiens d’enfants, notamment Gloria Hartford, une amie de la famille. [5] Les agressions présumées à l’endroit de A.B. ont eu lieu au domicile des Hartford, entre 1998 et 2000. A.B. a décrit cinq agressions distinctes au procès, notamment des fellations et des relations sexuelles anales, qui se seraient toutes déroulées alors qu’il avait six ou sept ans. A.B. était le seul garçon alors confié aux soins de M me Hartford et il était souvent envoyé jouer à l’extérieur.
C’est là que A.B., selon ses dires, a été en contact avec M. Kerfont. Bien que A.B. ait dit avoir été agressé sexuellement [TRADUCTION] « au moins 100 fois » par M. Kerfont, il a refusé de témoigner sur chaque incident au procès, en disant : [TRADUCTION] « un seul cas d’abus sexuel en est un de trop ». Quoi qu’il en soit, A.B. a affirmé que les abus sexuels étaient fréquents, survenant peut-être [TRADUCTION] « quelques fois par semaine ».
Dans son témoignage au procès, A.B. a décrit cinq incidents en particulier. [6] A.B. a indiqué que le premier incident avait eu lieu dans une caravane garée dans la cour des Hartford. A.B. a dit que M. Kerfont l’avait conduit dans la caravane, puis lui avait montré son pénis avant de le lui mettre dans la bouche. M. Kerfont lui avait ensuite fait subir des relations sexuelles anales. A.B. a rapporté qu’après l’incident, M. Kerfont l’avait averti de n’en rien dire à personne, sinon [TRADUCTION] « il serait dans le pire pétrin de toute sa vie ».
Après l’agression, A.B. est resté assis à l’extérieur avec Patches, le chien des Hartford. Ce thème s’est répété dans tous les incidents de violence. La menace proférée trouvait écho chez A.B. puisque, a-t-il dit, sa mère leur infligeait souvent des sévices pour la moindre faute, à ses sœurs et à lui, et il ne voulait pas en subir davantage. [7] Le deuxième incident est survenu quelques semaines après le premier. A.B. avait passé la journée chez les Hartford et il s’était trempé en jouant dehors. A.B. a été envoyé à l’intérieur, en compagnie de M.
Kerfont, chercher une paire de bas dans la chambre du fils de M me Hartford. A.B. a affirmé que M. Kerfont l’avait agressé à nouveau, de la même manière que lors du premier incident.
[8] Le troisième incident serait survenu dans le garage des Hartford, un endroit où il était interdit aux enfants d’aller. M. Kerfont a relevé la veste d’hiver de A.B. et détaché les bretelles de son pantalon de neige. A.B. a subi à nouveau des relations sexuelles anales. À un certain moment pendant l’agression, M me Hartford a appelé M. Kerfont depuis la maison et celui-ci a donc dirigé A.B. vers l’extérieur après l’avoir aidé à se rhabiller. [9] Le quatrième incident est survenu dans une remise située dans la cour des Hartford. A.B. a raconté que M.
Kerfont lui avait fait une fellation, tandis qu’il était assis sur un banc à l’intérieur de la remise, devant une fenêtre qui donnait sur la voie d’accès pour autos de la maison des Hartford. L’agression a été interrompue par l’arrivée, dans la voie d’accès pour autos, de l’automobile de la mère de A.B. M. Kerfont a rhabillé A.B. à la hâte, puis l’a dirigé hors de la remise pour y rencontrer sa mère, qui n’a pas eu connaissance de l’agression. [10] Le dernier incident est survenu dans la niche de grande dimension (4 pi sur 8 pi) des Hartford.
A.B. a affirmé qu’il lui arrivait assez souvent de s’asseoir dans la niche avec le chien des Hartford. A.B. a raconté que M. Kerfont s’y était faufilé et qu’il avait abaissé son pantalon pour essayer de le forcer à le toucher. A.B. s’est mis à pleurer et, lorsque M. Kerfont a cherché à le toucher, le chien a tenté de le mordre. [11] A.B. n’a divulgué les agressions qu’en 2012, lorsqu’il en a parlé à un ami proche. La police n’est intervenue qu’en 2016. [12] Dans sa déclaration à la police, A.B. a dit que M. Kerfont était omniprésent dans la maison des Hartford lorsqu’il y était gardé.
Même si M me Hartford était la gardienne, M. Kerfont lui apportait son aide. A.B. a indiqué qu’il se sentait plus en sécurité à la maison lorsque M. Hartford y était présent. A.B. a raconté beaucoup plus d’incidents à la police que les cinq décrits ci- dessus. [13] L’enquête de la police a conduit à l’inculpation de M. Kerfont. Ce dernier a subi son procès devant la Cour provinciale. [14] L’avocat de la défense a produit une preuve visant à montrer que les souvenirs de A.B. étaient déficients. La défense a avancé que, puisque M. Kerfont travaillait avec M.
Hartford dans la forêt, A.B. se trompait lorsqu’il disait que M. Kerfont était toujours présent dans la maison des Hartford. Les deux hommes travaillaient ensemble, a ajouté la défense, et l’un n’était jamais sans l’autre. On ne pouvait donc se fier à la mémoire de A.B. lorsqu’il disait se sentir plus en sécurité quand M. Hartford était présent à la maison, comme celui-ci et M. Kerfont s’y trouvaient rarement.
La défense a aussi relevé le nombre très différent d’incidents d’agression sexuelle dont A.B. avait fait état devant la police et durant son témoignage au procès. [15] Les principaux arguments portant sur les faits étaient centrés, au procès, sur les apparentes [TRADUCTION] « incohérences » entre la déclaration de A.B. à la police et son témoignage. L’argumentation s’est concentrée sur la question de savoir si, au vu des témoignages de Robert et Gloria Hartford, M.
Kerfont avait bien eu l’occasion de commettre les infractions. [16] Dans sa décision, le juge du procès a passé en revue le droit portant sur la présomption d’innocence, le doute raisonnable, le fardeau de preuve du ministère public – prouver la culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable – et sa propre obligation d’évaluer la preuve dans son ensemble. De plus, il a abordé la jurisprudence relative aux témoins qui décrivent des événements survenus lorsqu’ils étaient enfants.
Le juge a aussi traité de la nécessité d’examiner l’incidence, le cas échéant, des incohérences entre la déclaration de A.B. à la police et son témoignage au procès sur l’évaluation globale qu’il ferait de la crédibilité et la fiabilité de A.B. [17] Le juge du procès a conclu, finalement, que le témoignage de A.B. était crédible et fiable quant aux faits importants. Il a conclu que l’occasion avait existé et que le ministère public avait prouvé la culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable. M. Kerfont interjette appel de sa déclaration de culpabilité et demande l’autorisation d’interjeter appel de sa peine. III.
Moyens d’appel [18] M. Kerfont demande à la Cour d’annuler sa déclaration de culpabilité et d’ordonner l’inscription d’un jugement d’acquittement. Il demande, subsidiairement, que la déclaration de culpabilité soit annulée et la tenue d’un nouveau procès
ordonnée. Il soulève les moyens d’appel suivants à l’encontre de la déclaration de culpabilité : 1) le verdict est déraisonnable ou ne peut pas s’appuyer sur la preuve, en ce sens qu’un juge des faits ayant reçu les directives appropriées et agissant d’une manière judiciaire n’aurait pu conclure raisonnablement à la culpabilité de l’appelant; 2) le juge du procès a interprété la preuve erronément et il en est résulté une erreur judiciaire. [19] M. Kerfont demande aussi l’autorisation d’en appeler de sa peine d’emprisonnement de cinq ans. [20] M.
Kerfont demande à la Cour, si elle accorde l’autorisation, d’accueillir l’appel et de modifier la peine. Il soulève comme moyens d’appel à l’encontre de la peine que le juge du procès a commis les erreurs suivantes : 1) une erreur de droit en appliquant erronément la jurisprudence; 2) une erreur de principe en portant son attention sur la dissuasion générale à l’exclusion des autres principes de détermination de la peine; 3) une erreur de principe en infligeant une peine déraisonnable. A. Appel de la déclaration de culpabilité 1. Verdict déraisonnable/erreur judiciaire [21] Les sous-alinéas 686(1)a)(
i) et (iii) confèrent à une cour d’appel le pouvoir d’admettre l’appel d’une déclaration de culpabilité dans une affaire comme celle qui nous occupe :
Powers of the Court of Appeal 686
(1) On the hearing of an appeal against aconviction or against a verdict that theappellant is unfit to stand trial or notcriminally responsible on account of mentaldisorder, the court of appeal (
a) may allow the appeal where it is of theopinion that (
i) the verdict should be set aside on theground that it is unreasonable or cannot besupported by the evidence, […] (iii) on any ground there was a miscarriage ofjustice[.] Pouvoirs de la cour d’appel 686
(1) Lors de l’audition d’un appel d’unedéclaration de culpabilité ou d’un verdictd’inaptitude à subir son procès ou de non-responsabilité criminelle pour cause detroubles mentaux, la cour d’appel :
a) peut admettre l’appel, si elle est d’avis,selon le cas : (
i) que le verdict devrait être rejeté pour lemotif qu’il est déraisonnable ou ne peut pass’appuyer sur la preuve, […] (iii) que, pour un motif quelconque, il y a euerreur judiciaire[.] [22] Dans l’arrêt Melanson c. R., 2018 NBCA 61, [2018] A.N.-B. n° 212 (QL), le juge d’appel Green déclare ce quisuit : Bien que Yebes portait sur un verdict rendu à l’issue d’un procès devant jury, la Cour suprême a affirmé clairement que les cours d’appeldoivent adopter la même démarche lorsqu’ils déterminent le caractère raisonnable de verdicts rendus par des juges siégeant seuls. Dansl’arrêt R. c.
Biniaris, 2000 CSC 15, [2000] 1 R.C.S. 381, la Cour confirme le critère énoncé dans l’arrêt Yebes et affirme qu’il s’appliqueau « jugement d’un juge siégeant sans jury » : Le critère qu’une cour d’appel doit appliquer pour déterminer si le verdict d’un jury ou le jugement d’un juge du procès estdéraisonnable ou ne peut pas s’appuyer sur la preuve a été énoncé clairement dans l’arrêt Yebes : [I]l doit y avoir révision judiciaire chaque fois que le jury dépasse une norme raisonnable. […] [L]e critère est celui de savoir « si leverdict est l’un de ceux qu’un jury qui a reçu les directives appropriées et qui agit d’une manière judiciaire aurait pu raisonnablementrendre ». (Yebes, précité, à la p. 185 (citant Corbett c.
La Reine, (SCC), [1975] 2 R.C.S. 275, à la p. 282, le juge Pigeon).) Cette formulation du critère implique à la fois une évaluation objective et, dans une certaine mesure, une évaluation subjective. Elleoblige la cour d’appel à déterminer quel verdict un jury raisonnable, ayant reçu des directives appropriées et agissant de manièrejudiciaire, aurait pu rendre, et ce faisant, à examiner, à analyser et, dans la mesure où il est possible de le faire compte tenu de la situationdésavantageuse dans laquelle se trouve un tribunal d’appel, à évaluer la preuve.
Ce dernier processus est généralement considéré commeun exercice subjectif qui oblige la cour d’appel à examiner l’importance de la preuve, et non seulement à vérifier si elle est suffisante. Lecritère est donc mixte, et il est plus utile de décrire les conséquences de son application que de le qualifier d’objectif ou de subjectif.[par. 12] [23] La question à trancher en appel est celle du caractère raisonnable, d’après l’ensemble de la preuve admise parle juge du procès, du verdict de culpabilité. Dans l’arrêt Melanson, la Cour a écrit ce qui suit :
Notre tâche dans le cas de l’appel de M. Melanson est donc de déterminer « d’après l’ensemble de la preuve » le caractère raisonnable du verdict de culpabilité. Pour ce faire, nous devons « réexaminer l’effet de la preuve et aussi dans une certaine mesure la réévaluer ». Puisque l’affaire qui nous occupe dépend d’une preuve circonstancielle, la question à laquelle il faut répondre est la suivante : Le juge du procès, agissant d’une manière judiciaire, pouvait-il « raisonnablement conclure » que la culpabilité de M.
Melanson « était la seule conclusion raisonnable qui pouvait être tirée de l’ensemble de la preuve »? [par. 14] Voir Gillis c. R ., 2014 NBCA 58 , 426 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 1; Oland c. R. , 2016 NBCA 58 , [2016] A.N.-B. n° 230 (QL); Lecompte c. R. , 2018 NBCA 33 , [2018] A.N.-B. n° 130 (QL), Gavin c. R. , 2019 NBCA 19 , [2019] A.N.-B. n° 42 (QL). 2. Application à la présente affaire
a) Prétendues erreurs relatives aux témoignages [24] M. Kerfont soutient qu’il a fait l’objet d’une déclaration de culpabilité déraisonnable et d’une erreur judiciaire du fait que le juge du procès a apprécié erronément le témoignage des témoins. Il prétend que le juge du procès a interprété la preuve erronément et l’a mal appréciée, et que ces erreurs l’ont mené à conclure que le ministère public avait prouvé hors de tout doute raisonnable qu’il avait agressé sexuellement A.B. M.
Kerfont fait valoir les erreurs suivantes : 1) S’agissant de la crédibilité de A.B., le témoignage de ce dernier à l’interrogatoire principal différait de sa déclaration à la police quant à sa présence à la résidence des Hartford lorsque M. Kerfont s’y trouvait. En contre-interrogatoire, A.B. a été interrogé sur l’incohérence entre son témoignage direct, dans lequel il avait dit que M. Kerfont était à la résidence des Hartford [TRADUCTION] « quelques fois par semaine », et sa déclaration à la police, dans laquelle il avait affirmé que, même si M me Hartford était la dispensatrice de soins, M.
Kerfont était toujours présent et l’aidait à s’occuper des enfants. M. Kerfont juge cet élément essentiel étant donné la fréquence des prétendues agression s. 2) S’agissant de l’écart entre le nombre d’agressions mentionnées dans la déclaration à la police et le témoignage de A.B., le juge a dit, dans sa décision rendue de vive voix, que cet écart devait être considéré à la lumière de l’expérience vécue par une jeune personne. Le juge aurait commis une erreur, soutient M. Kerfont, puisque A.B. était un adulte lorsqu’il a fait sa déclaration à la police.
L’erreur viendrait du fait que le juge, tout en reconnaissant l’incohérence, avait suivi la jurisprudence portant sur les enfants témoins. Le juge du procès a traité le témoignage de A.B. comme celui d’une jeune personne ayant subi de mauvais traitements et s’en souvenant d’une manière particulière : lorsque A.B. disait qu’il y avait eu 100 incidents, il ne fallait pas interpréter ses propos littéralement, mais en comprendre que les mauvais traitements avaient été constants. M.
Kerfont affirme que le juge aurait dû se préoccuper du nombre différent d’agressions mentionné dans le témoignage de A.B., particulièrement lorsque celui-ci déclarait avoir été agressé plusieurs fois par jour. M. Kerfont fait valoir que, pour que les agressions aient eu lieu tel que A.B. les décrivait, il aurait dû se trouver chez les Hartford plus fréquemment que A.B. ne l’avait dit au procès. 3) M. Kerfont affirme que le juge du procès a interprété erronément les témoignages de M. et M me Hartford au sujet de l’époque où cette dernière avait gardé A.B.
M me Hartford a clairement indiqué qu’elle l’avait fait quelques mois, une année, depuis le printemps jusqu’à la fin des classes à la fin juin. Dans son témoignage, M. Hartford a déclaré que son épouse n’avait gardé A.B. et ses sœurs que quelques mois, et pas pendant la saison de la confection de couronnes, de sorte qu’aucune agression n’avait pu se produire à l’automne. M. Kerfont affirme aussi que le juge du procès a mal interprété le témoignage de M. Hartford au sujet du nombre de fois où la mère de A.B. était venue chercher les enfants tardivement. M.
Kerfont soutient que la preuve concernant la période pendant laquelle M me Hartford avait gardé A.B. et ses sœurs était un élément essentiel de l’argument de la défense voulant que A.B. et lui ne se soient pas trouvés à la résidence des Hartford en même temps. Le juge du procès n’a pas estimé les mauvais traitements invraisemblables, et la preuve de la défense n’écartait pas l’existence des occasions. Ce faisant, prétend M. Kerfont, le juge du procès a transféré le fardeau de la preuve du ministère public à la défense. 4) M.
Kerfont soutient que M me Hartford a clairement indiqué dans son témoignage que, lorsque M. Hartford travaillait, il était toujours avec lui. M me Hartford a aussi déclaré que M. Kerfont ne l’aidait pas dans sa tâche de gardienne de A.B. et de ses sœurs. Elle a également contredit le témoignage de A.B. selon lequel on l’envoyait dehors avec M. Kerfont. M. Kerfont soutient que le juge du procès n’a pas tenu compte du témoignage de M me Hartford sur ce point. 5) M. Kerfont avance que le juge du procès a traité erronément la preuve de la défense concernant l’invraisemblance des incidents allégués par A.B.
Il affirme que, comme la preuve du ministère public reposait entièrement sur le témoignage de A.B., la crédibilité et la
fiabilité de ce témoignage devaient être évaluées en fonction de l’ensemble de la preuve. Il fait ainsi valoir que le juge du procès, plutôtque d’apprécier le témoignage de A.B. en regard de l’invraisemblance des agressions de la manière qu’il décrivait, a dénié la possibilitéque l’invraisemblance soulève un doute raisonnable, la preuve de la défense n’écartant pas les occasions de perpétration. [25] Les moyens énoncés dans l’avis d’appel ne correspondent pas à ces arguments. M.
Kerfont contestel’évaluation par le juge du procès de la crédibilité de A.B., ainsi que la manière dont le juge a apprécié les témoignages de Gloria etRobert Hartford et des autres témoins de la défense. Il ajoute que le juge a mal interprété la preuve et a commis des erreurs dans sonévaluation d’éléments de preuve qui ont influé considérablement sur ses conclusions de fait, et qu’il en est résulté un verdictdéraisonnable. M. Kerfont a énoncé incorrectement la norme de contrôle.
Bien formulé, ce moyen d’appel aurait dû s’articuler autourd’une erreur manifeste et dominante du juge dans son évaluation de la crédibilité et des faits. C’est en examinant si les faits établis par lejuge du procès pouvaient raisonnablement donner lieu à une déclaration de culpabilité que j’aborderai les arguments avancés parM. Kerfont.
b) Jurisprudence pertinente [26] La juge d’appel LaVigne a récemment traité, dans l’arrêt Gavin, des principes s’appliquant au verdictdéraisonnable, à l’interprétation erronée de la preuve et à l’erreur judiciaire : La Cour peut aussi conclure au caractère déraisonnable d’un verdict si le juge du procès a tiré une inférence ou une conclusion de faitessentielle au prononcé du verdict (1) qui est clairement contredite par la preuve qu’il invoque à l’appui de cette inférence ou conclusionou (2) dont on démontre l’incompatibilité avec une preuve qui n’est ni contredite par d’autres éléments de preuve ni rejetée par lejuge : R. c.
R.P., 2012 CSC 22, [2012] 1 R.C.S. 746, au par. 9. Le sous-alinéa 686(1)a)(
i) du Code criminel impose un examen complet de la preuve qui a été présentée. Cependant, une fois que l’on aréexaminé la preuve ou qu’on l’a soupesée de nouveau, dans une certaine mesure, comme cela est exigé, c’est l’effet probant del’ensemble de la preuve qui est déterminant, et non la valeur probante de chacun des différents éléments de preuve pris hors contexte :voir Oland, au par. 29.
De plus, lorsqu’elle se penche sur l’appréciation de la crédibilité faite en première instance, la Cour ne peutintervenir que s’il est établi qu’elle ne peut pas s’appuyer sur quelque interprétation raisonnable que ce soit de la preuve : voir R. c. R.P.,au par. 10. Si le caractère raisonnable d’un verdict est une question de droit, l’appréciation de la crédibilité des témoins constitue elle une questionde fait. Or, les conclusions de fait, dont celles qui ont trait à la crédibilité, commandent la déférence. En tant que cour d’appel, nousn’avons pas l’avantage d’observer ni d’entendre les témoins.
La norme de contrôle applicable en appel à l’appréciation de la crédibilité a été réaffirmée par le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors sontitre) dans l’arrêt Gillis, aux par. 74 et 75 : la Cour doit faire preuve de déférence envers les conclusions que le juge du procès a tirées enmatière de crédibilité, sauf erreur manifeste et dominante. La norme qui régit l’intervention en appel pour cause d’interprétation erronée de la preuve est stricte.
L’interprétation erronée de lapreuve doit porter sur l’essence plutôt que sur les détails, elle doit avoir une incidence importante plutôt que secondaire sur leraisonnement du juge du procès et les erreurs doivent avoir joué un rôle capital dans le raisonnement à l’origine de la déclaration deculpabilité et rendu le procès inéquitable : R. c. Lohrer, 2004 CSC 80, [2004] 3 R.C.S. 732, au par. 2, et Gillis, au par. 76.
Une erreurquelle qu’elle soit, y compris une erreur dans l’appréciation de la preuve commise par le juge du procès, doit être évaluée en fonction deson incidence sur le caractère équitable du procès. [par. 9 à 13] [27] Bien que le ss-al. 686(1)a)(
i) enjoint la Cour à examiner l’ensemble de la preuve présentée au juge du procès, ilne nous autorise pas à substituer notre opinion à la sienne simplement parce que nous en serions arrivés, sur le fondement de la mêmepreuve, à une conclusion différente (voir R. c. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 R.C.S. 168, [1987] A.C.S. n° 51 (QL)). [28] Dans R. c. Shaoulle, 2016 CSC 16, [2016] 1 R.C.S. 268, la Cour suprême a rejeté un appel pour les mêmesmotifs que ceux exposés par les juges majoritaires de la Cour d’appel de la Saskatchewan (2015 SKCA 101, [2015] S.J.
No. 492 (QL)),qui avaient confirmé la déclaration de culpabilité de l’accusé pour meurtre au premier degré. M. Shaoulle a avancé comme seul moyend’appel, tant devant la Cour suprême que la Cour d’appel de la Saskatchewan, que le verdict était déraisonnable ou ne pouvait pass’appuyer sur la preuve. En l’espèce, le ministère public a résumé dans son mémoire, comme suit, les principes clés énoncés dans
Shaoulle qu’il faut considérer dans les affaires où il est allégué qu’un verdict rendu à l’issue d’un procès devant juge seul estdéraisonnable : [TRADUCTION] a. La Cour doit établir si, compte tenu de l’ensemble de la preuve, le verdict est l’un de ceux qu’un jury qui a reçu les directivesappropriées et qui agit d’une manière judiciaire aurait pu raisonnablement rendre. b. Afin d’appliquer le critère, elle doit réexaminer l’effet de la preuve et aussi dans une certaine mesure la réévaluer. c. Ce processus sera le même que l’affaire soit fondée sur une preuve circonstancielle ou une preuve directe. d.
L’examen en appel du caractère déraisonnable est toutefois différent et un peu plus facile lorsque le jugement contesté est celuid’un juge seul. e. Le tribunal d’appel qui procède à l’examen est parfois en mesure de déceler une lacune dans l’évaluation de la preuve ou dansl’analyse, lacune qui servira à expliquer la conclusion déraisonnable qui a été tirée et à justifier l’annulation. f. La cour d’appel peut souvent déceler les faiblesses de l’analyse qui ont amené le juge des faits à tirer une conclusion déraisonnable,et elle devrait le faire.
La cour d’appel est donc justifiée d’intervenir et d’annuler un verdict parce qu’il est déraisonnable, lorsqu’ilressort des motifs du juge du procès qu’il n’a pas tenu compte d’un principe de droit applicable ou qu’il a inscrit un verdict incompatibleavec les conclusions de fait tirées. g. La Cour suprême a précisé que la cour d’appel n’apportait rien de particulier à l’évaluation de la preuve lorsqu’un juge siégeantseul exposait des motifs de jugement détaillés et était conscient des problèmes fréquents surgissant dans le domaine décisionnel.
Unpoint particulier abordé : bien que la cour d’appel doive réévaluer la preuve en vue d’établir si le verdict est déraisonnable, elle ne doitpas intervenir simplement parce qu’elle a un doute que le juge du procès n’avait pas. h. Dans l’évaluation du caractère déraisonnable, il est utile de débuter par l’examen de ce qui a été plaidé au procès et l’évaluation parle juge des arguments présentés. [Italiques dans l’original.] [29] À mon avis, la preuve au procès reposait principalement sur la fiabilité du témoignage direct de A.B., un jeunegarçon au moment des agressions, compte tenu des témoignages en faveur de M.
Kerfont offerts par sa sœur, son beau-frère et deux amisde la famille. Le juge du procès a apprécié la crédibilité de tous les témoins et, tout en estimant les témoins de la défense crédibles, adéclaré ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] […] Des occasions ont existé. Les gens peuvent croire qu’ils remarqueraient des cas d’abus sexuels s’ils avaient lieu, mais,malheureusement, ces actes passent souvent inaperçus, et les allégations d’abus sexuel animent souvent chacune des parties en fonctionde ses croyances. L’on souhaiterait toujours pouvoir déceler les indices d’abus sexuel, mais cela n’est souvent pas le cas.
Les enfants sefont souvent dire de ne révéler à personne ce qui s’est produit. [Transcription, le 3 juin 2019, p. 31] [30] Tel qu’il a été mentionné, M. Kerfont soutient que le juge du procès a interprété la preuve erronément cinqfois, en lien particulièrement avec la crédibilité et la fiabilité du témoignage de A.B. Il estime que cela a joué un rôle essentiel dans sonraisonnement. Dans R. c. Morrissey, (ON CA), [1995] O.J.
No. 639 (C.A.) (QL), l’interprétation erronée de la preuveest décrite comme [TRADUCTION] « l’omission de prendre en considération une preuve pertinente sur un point important, une erreurquant à l’essence de la preuve ou l’omission de reconnaître à la preuve sa véritable incidence » (par. 83). [31] Dans l’arrêt R. c. Lohrer, 2004 CSC 80, [2004] 3 R.C.S. 732, la Cour suprême a écrit que, pour qu’un appelsoit admis sur le fondement d’une interprétation erronée de la preuve, l’erreur alléguée devait avoir une incidence importante plutôt que
secondaire sur le raisonnement du juge du procès et jouer un rôle capital dans le raisonnement à l’origine de la déclaration de culpabilité.La Cour d’appel de l’Alberta, dans l’arrêt R. c. Lee, 2010 ABCA 1, [2010] A.J.
No. 72 (QL), confirmé par la CSC, 2010 CSC 52, [2010]3 R.C.S. 99, a examiné les différences entre le critère du verdict déraisonnable établi dans Biniaris et le critère de l’interprétation erronéede la preuve établi dans Lohrer : [TRADUCTION] Dans la présente affaire, le ministère public a soutenu que le critère établi dans l’arrêt Biniaris était applicable, tandis que l’appelant aaffirmé qu’il fallait s’en écarter. L’appelant a fait valoir, plutôt, que la juge du procès avait [TRADUCTION] « interprété la preuveerronément ». Dans ce type d’appel, la norme de contrôle est celle énoncée dans l’arrêt R. c.
Lohrer, 2004 CSC 80, [2004] 3 R.C.S. 732,par. 1, citant R. c. Morrissey (1995), (ON CA), 22 O.R. (3d) 514, 97 C.C.C. (3d) 193 (C.A.), p. 541 : [TRADUCTION] À mon avis, si un juge commet une erreur quant à l’essence d’un élément de preuve important et que cette erreur joueun rôle capital dans le raisonnement à l’origine de la déclaration de culpabilité, il s’ensuit que la déclaration de culpabilité de l’accusén’est pas fondée exclusivement sur la preuve et ne constitue pas un verdict « juste ».
La norme est stricte, et il faut que l’erreur ait « joué un rôle capital non seulement dans les motifs du jugement, mais encore “dans leraisonnement à l’origine de la déclaration de culpabilité” » (Lohrer, par. 2). Il est difficile de discerner ce que cette norme ajoute à lanorme de contrôle de « l’erreur manifeste et dominante » généralement appliquée aux conclusions de fait et quant à la crédibilité, si cen’est d’en faire une question de droit. Comme il est souligné dans l’arrêt Biniaris, aux par. 23 et 26, ce type d’erreur est qualifié d’erreurde droit en
partie pour des motifs judiciaires, soit pour permettre la révision en appel dans les affaires présentant une injustice flagrante etoù l’appel ne peut porter que sur une question de droit. [par. 8] [32] Dans l’arrêt Thomas c. R., 2007 NBCA 3, 310 R.N.-B. (2e) 342, la Cour traite des moyens d’appel qui visent àtravestir en erreurs de droit les attaques contre les conclusions de fait : M. Thomas avance six moyens d’appel par lesquels il plaide, ou une erreur de droit, ou un verdict déraisonnable.
Je ferairespectueusement remarquer que, malgré l’adroite tournure donnée à ses moyens d’appel dans le dessein de camoufler en erreurs de droitdes constatations qui étaient en réalité des conclusions quant aux faits et quant à la crédibilité des témoins, le présent appel demeure, parsa nature véritable, une attaque contre les conclusions de fait du juge du procès sur le fondement de conclusions prononcées en matièrede crédibilité. M. Thomas estime que le juge du procès n’aurait dû, ni accueillir la preuve de Kirby et de Sonya MacLeod, ni se fier àcette preuve.
Il fait valoir qu’ils avaient eu l’occasion de discuter des événements avant d’être appelés à témoigner et que leurstémoignages présentaient des divergences qui auraient dû susciter un doute raisonnable. Travestir un moyen d’appel en une question de droit ne fait pas de ce moyen une question de droit. Comme notre Cour d’appel l’a exprimé dans R. c. Simon, [1999] A.N.-B. no 393 (C.A.) (QL) et dans R. c. Boudreau, [2004] A.N.-B. no 416 (C.A.) (QL), 2004 NBCA 87, et répété récemment dans R. c.
Moffitt, [2006] A.N.-B. no 464 (C.A.) (QL), 2006 NBCA 100, la crédibilité des témoins au procèsn’est pas une question de droit seulement. [par. 8 et 9] [Le soulignement est de moi.] [33] À mon avis, c’est précisément ce que M. Kerfont tente de faire : camoufler en erreurs de droit des prétenduesconclusions quant aux faits et quant à la crédibilité. Il attaque, en réalité, des conclusions de fait tirées par le juge du procès. Aucunequestion de droit n’est en jeu.
c) Décision du juge de la Cour provinciale [34] M. Kerfont conteste essentiellement les conclusions de fait et celles quant à la crédibilité tirées par le juge duprocès. Notre Cour doit faire preuve de déférence devant de telles conclusions. Bien qu’en fonction de la norme établie dans Lohrer, onpuisse qualifier d’erreurs de droit des conclusions concernant les faits et la crédibilité, cela ne peut être accompli que lorsqu’il y ainjustice flagrante. À mon avis, il ne s’agit pas d’un tel cas en l’espèce. Le juge du procès a dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]
Je dois décider si, compte tenu de la preuve dans son ensemble, le ministère public a établi la culpabilité de M. Kerfont hors de toutdoute raisonnable. Si la preuve, l’absence de preuve ou la crédibilité ou la fiabilité d’un ou plusieurs témoins soulèvent un douteraisonnable dans mon esprit quant à la culpabilité de M. Kerfont, je dois le déclarer non coupable. Le doute raisonnable s’applique à laquestion de la c