2016 NBCA 6, 2016 NBCA 6
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK MICHEAL GEORGE FORSYTHE APPELLANT 113-14-CA MICHAEL GEORGE FORSYTHE APPELANT - and - - et - WELDON FURLOTTE RESPONDENT WELDON FURLOTTE INTIMÉ Forsythe v. Furlotte, 2016 NBCA 6 Forsythe c.
Furlotte, 2016 NBCA 6 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: October 14, 2014 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 14 octobre 2014 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Unreported, December 4, 2014 – leave to appeal [2015] N.B.J.
No. 159 – directions on appeal Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : décison inédite, 4 décembre 2014 – autorisation d’appel [2015] A.N.-B. n o 159 – directives sur appel
Appeal heard: October 27, 2015 Judgment rendered: February 25, 2016 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Richard Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Appel entendu : le 27 octobre 2015 Jugement rendu : le 25 février 2016 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Richard Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Matthew R. Letson Weldon Furlotte appeared in person. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Matthew R. Letson Weldon Furlotte a comparu en personne. THE COURT The appeal is allowed.
The motion judge’s decision is set aside, the Statement of Claim is struck out and the action is dismissed with costs in the amount of $3,000 for the proceeding in the Court of Queen’s Bench and $3,000 for that on appeal. LA COUR Accueille l’appel. Elle annule la décision du juge saisi de la motion, radie l’exposé de la demande et rejette l’action. L’intimé est condamné à des dépens de 3 000 $ pour l’instance engagée devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine, et de 3 000 $ pour l’instance engagée devant notre Cour. The judgment of the Court was delivered by RICHARD, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] Is it an abuse of process for a disgruntled plaintiff, unhappy with the award of damages he received in an action for personal injury, to then commence an action against one who conducted an independent medical assessment and on whose
expert testimony the court relied in the first action? A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench concluded it was not, and refused to halt such a proceeding upon the motion of the medical practitioner for
summary dismissal. With leave, the medical practitioner appeals. With respect, the judge’s decision is not entitled to any deference because he did not apply the correct principles to the question before him. The reasons that follow explain why I reach a contrary conclusion in the circumstances of the present case. II. Factual background [ 2 ] In 1997, Weldon Furlotte, a lawyer, was injured in a motor vehicle accident. He retained counsel to pursue an action against the other party involved in the accident. Mr. Furlotte’s lawyer retained the services of an expert in orthopedics, Dr.
Michael George Forsythe, to assess Mr. Furlotte’s injuries, and prepare a report for use at trial. Dr. Forsythe did so. In fact, he prepared several reports. When the action proceeded to trial, Mr. Furlotte’s solicitor decided not to call Dr. Forsythe to testify. The solicitor for the defendant did otherwise. In his testimony, Dr. Forsythe described his impression of Mr. Furlotte’s injuries and impairment and gave opinion evidence on the extent of his disability. In essence, it was Dr. Forsythe’s opinion that the motor vehicle accident exacerbated pain Mr.
Furlotte had experienced but not the pre-existing disc disease that afflicted him. He was also of the view the pre-existing disease would have eventually affected Mr. Furlotte’s ability to work. [ 3 ] Dr. Forsythe was not the only expert called on behalf of the defendant at the trial of the action for damages arising out of the motor vehicle accident. Dr. John Milczarek, a pain management specialist, also testified. In his view, Mr. Furlotte’s ongoing pain was caused by his degenerative disc disease and not by any injuries suffered in the motor vehicle accident.
He opined that, although the accident might have exacerbated his pre-existing condition, Mr. Furlotte’s situation would have eventually worsened in any event. [ 4 ] In a decision reported as Furlotte v. Elward , 2010 NBQB 247 , 362 N.B.R. (2d) 365 , a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench concluded the injuries Mr. Furlotte suffered in the motor vehicle accident did not result in any loss of income or loss of earning capacity. General damages were assessed at $30,000 for pain, suffering and loss of amenities of life, and Mr. Furlotte was awarded $74,500 in special damages for past loss of valuable services.
The award was a far cry from Mr. Furlotte’s claim for damages exceeding $4,000,000. [ 5 ] Mr. Furlotte appealed the trial judge’s assessment of damages. Mr. Elward cross-appealed. In the result, the Court dismissed Mr. Furlotte’s appeal but allowed the cross-appeal: Furlotte v. Elward , 2011 NBCA 95 , 379 N.B.R. (2d) 199 . The damages for the past loss of valuable services were reduced to $28,500. [ 6 ] The Court of Appeal’s decision appears to have triggered two further actions. In the first, Mr. Furlotte claims damages against Drs. Forsythe and Milczarek.
Challenging the opinions each gave at the trial of the action arising out of the motor vehicle accident, Mr. Furlotte alleges they are liable to him in negligence, for breach of contract, and for breaching a duty they owed to both the Court and himself. In an amended Statement of Claim, he adds wilful and malicious conduct on their part. Not surprisingly, both physicians have defended the action and denied those allegations. Both then applied for the
summary dismissal of the action. Dr. Milczarek was successful; Dr. Forsythe was not. [ 7 ] These seemingly contradictory conclusions are explained by the fact that Dr. Milczarek was able to invoke a ground for
summary dismissal that was not available to Dr. Forsythe. In 2009, Mr. Furlotte had instituted an action against Dr. Milczarek alleging the medico-legal reports the latter had prepared constituted fraudulent misrepresentations. That action was summarily dismissed: Furlotte v. Milczarek , 2011 NBQB 105 , 372 N.B.R. (2d) 349 . Mr. Furlotte’s appeal of that decision was unsuccessful: Furlotte v. Milczarek , 2012 NBCA 24 , 383 N.B.R. (2d) 237 . In the motion for
summary dismissal of Mr. Furlotte’s second action against him, Dr. Milczarek successfully invoked the plea of res judicata . It was on this ground only that the motion judge summarily dismissed the action against him. This plea was not available to Dr. Forsythe, who had not been named in the earlier action. As against him, the motion judge dismissed the motion, ruling the matter should proceed to trial. [ 8 ] Parenthetically, the second action that followed the Court of Appeal’s reduction of Mr. Furlotte’s damage award also was summarily dismissed. [ 9 ] Through his insurer, Mr. Elward had paid Mr.
Furlotte the full amount of the trial judgment plus interest and costs. When the Court of Appeal reduced the damage award, Mr. Elward sought recovery of the overpayment. His lawyer, Charles A. LeBlond, Q.C., wrote to Mr. Furlotte, but the latter never answered. This prompted Mr. LeBlond to write the Registrar of the Court of Appeal to obtain a judgment for the overpayment. His letter included a draft judgment. A Deputy Registrar of the Court made changes to the draft and issued a judgment ordering Mr. Furlotte to reimburse Mr. Elward the overpayment plus interest and costs. Attempts were
subsequently made to enforce the judgment. [ 10 ] On July 2, 2014, Mr. Furlotte commenced an action against both Mr. LeBlond and the insurance adjuster involved in the matter. He claimed they had knowingly and willingly filed and registered a false and misleading judgment against him. The defendants in that action applied for
summary judgment. It was granted: Furlotte v. LeBlond and Kelly , 2015 NBQB 124 , 437 N.B.R. (2d) 315 . Mr. Furlotte appealed. His appeal was dismissed: Furlotte v. LeBlond et al. , 2015 NBCA 70 , [2015] N.B.J. No. 270 (QL) . III. Issues on appeal [ 11 ] Dr. Forsythe’s motion for
summary dismissal of Mr. Furlotte’s action against him invoked three discrete rules:
(1) Rule 22.01(3), pursuant to which Dr. Forsythe sought
summary judgment on the ground there was no merit to any of Mr. Furlotte’s claims;
(2) Rule 23.01(1), pursuant to which he argued the claim did not disclose a reasonable cause of action and/or there was no merit to the action because he was protected by witness immunity; and
(3) Rule 27.09, pursuant to which he contended the Statement of Claim should be struck out and the action dismissed because the claim is scandalous, frivolous, vexatious and an abuse of the process of the court. [ 12 ] As they related to Dr. Forsythe, the motion judge resolved all the questions raised in the
summary dismissal motion in favour of Mr. Furlotte. Since the motion judge’s decision was interlocutory in nature, Dr. Forsythe sought leave to appeal. It was granted. In his notice of appeal, Dr. Forsythe targets only one of the motion judge’s many rulings. He claims the motion judge erred in failing to strike out Mr. Furlotte’s pleading on the basis that it constitutes an abuse of process. Specifically, Dr. Forsythe’s grounds of appeal allege the motion judge erred:
i) by applying the wrong test for abuse of process; ii) in concluding that the within Action is not an abuse of process; iii) in failing to conclude that the within Action is a collateral attack on, or an attempt to relitigate, the findings of Justice G. Rideout in Cause MC 88-99, Furlotte v.
Elward , 2010 NBQB 247 , and, in particular, the findings pertaining to the nature and extent of the Plaintiffs ( sic ) injuries, including those caused by his 1997 motor vehicle accident and those that pre-existed the 1997 motor vehicle accident, and the losses arising out of the 1997 motor vehicle accident; and iv) in concluding that the pleadings in the within Action raise any new issue of fact or credibility that was not already at issue and decided in Furlotte v. Elward , 2010 NBQB 247[.] [ 13 ] Mr. Furlotte filed a Notice of Contention.
He argues the motion judge’s decision could also be affirmed on grounds other than those given, which he enumerates as follows: 1) If the Motion’s judge misstated or insufficiently stated the legal test in using his discretion in denying the appellant’s motion for
summary judgment, on the ground of abuse of process, he was well aware of the law requiring a balancing process as referred in his decision and obviously rejected the argument put forward by the appellant during the hearing of the Motion. 2) The evidence well established a strong prima facie case for the respondent, which was totally uncontested by the appellant, and his decision was not merely based upon the issue of credibility. [ 14 ] Alternatively, if the appeal were to be allowed, Mr. Furlotte claims he is entitled to different relief than that which Dr. Forsythe seeks. He contends as follows: 1) The motion for
summary judgment should be sent back before the same judge on the issue of abuse of process and the respondent
should be allowed to have discovery of the appellant before continuation of the motion or allowed to cross-examine the appellant at the hearing of the motion and allowed to submit viva voice ( sic ) evidence at the hearing of the motion; all of which the respondent requested from the motion’s judge but which the motion’s judge obviously found unnecessary to permit because of the strong prima facie presented by the respondent. 2) The motion’s judge erred in excluding the medical literature in the respondent’s affidavits.
While the medical literature may have been properly excluded under Rule 22 of the Rules of Court, the exclusion should only have applied to the judge’s ruling under Rule 22. The medical literature should have been included and considered for the purpose of giving evidence and any ruling upon any motion for
summary judgment under Rule 27.09 of the Rules of Court. [ 15 ] In what follows, I will first address the standard of review through which the issues in this matter must be analyzed. Then, under a single heading, I will subject the issues raised in the Notice of Appeal to this standard. In doing so, I will consider the grounds raised in the Notice of Contention. Finally, I will address the relief that should result from my conclusion. IV. Analysis A. Standard of review [ 16 ] The standards of review governing appeals are quickly becoming, if not already, trite law.
This appeal involves the judge’s refusal to summarily dismiss an action on the grounds it constitutes an abuse of process. Such an interlocutory ruling is considered an exercise in judicial discretion, in that the judge weighs the various factors and determines whether, at an early stage in the proceedings, he or she is able to say, on the application of the governing principles, that to allow the action to proceed would constitute an abuse of the court’s process. The Supreme Court of Canada made this clear in Toronto (City) v.
C.U.P.E, Local 79 , 2003 SCC 63 , [2003] 3 S.C.R. 77 , per Arbour J., at paras. 35, 42 and 43. [ 17 ] It has been stated time and again that, although discretionary, judicial decisions are generally owed deference; they are not completely isolated from appellate review. The Court of Appeal may interfere with such a decision if “it is founded upon an error of law, an error in the application of the governing principles or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence […] or if it is unreasonable, in the sense that nothing in the record can justify it […]”: The Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v.
The Beaverbrook Art Gallery , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161 , per Drapeau C.J.N.B., at para. 4. [ 18 ] It is on the application of this standard that this appeal stands to be determined. B. Abuse of process [ 19 ] The provision, pursuant to which Dr. Forsythe argues Mr. Furlotte’s Statement of Claim should have been struck is found in Rule 27.09, which reads as follows:
27.09 Striking Out a Pleading orOther Document The court may strike out anypleading, or other document, or anypart thereof, at any time, with orwithout leave to amend, upon suchterms as may be just, on the ground that it (
a) may prejudice, embarrass or delaythe fair trial of the action, (
b) is scandalous, frivolous orvexatious, or (
c) is an abuse of the process of thecourt. 27.09 Radiation d’une plaidoirie oude quelque autre document La cour peut toujours annuler uneplaidoirie ou un autre document entout ou en partie, avec ou sanspermission de les modifier et auxconditions qu’elle estime justes, aumotif que l’écrit en question
a) peut compromettre, gêner ouretarder le jugement équitable del’action,
b) est scandaleux, frivole ou vexatoireou
c) constitue un usage abusif de laprocédure judiciaire. [20] The motion judge’s approach to the question whether Mr. Furlotte’s claim constituted an abuse of processbegan with his determination of the nature of the issue he was addressing. Referring to para. 35 of Arbour J.’s reasons in Toronto (City),the motion judge correctly identified the power invoked as one of discretion. After quoting extensively from the written submissions ofeach party, the motion judge turned to the question whether or not the claim of abuse of process had been made out.
He explained that,upon reading the Amended Statement of Claim, he noted multiple “faults and wrongs” alleged to have been committed by Dr. Forsythe,as well as many different heads of damages, “none of which were or could have logically been included in the 1999 MVA action”. [21] According to the motion judge, if the action were to proceed to trial, all the issues and heads of damages wouldbe novel except for the quantum of damages resulting from the injuries Mr. Furlotte suffered in the 1997 motor vehicle accident.
Thejudge believed it was “premature to state that the evidence that will be presented on that specific issue […] will be the same as the onepresented to the Trial Judge in April, 2010, as the Trial Judge will be asked to make many rulings of credibility […] about what [Mr.Furlotte] would have actually told [Dr. Forsythe] and in relation to [Mr. Furlotte’s] health pre and post MVA of 1997”. He added thatfresh credibility rulings would also be necessary in order to determine whether “the actions and inquiries” Dr.
Forsythe claimed to have“done” had in fact occurred. [22] In the end, the motion judge stated he could “easily identify many ‘genuine issues’ or ‘material facts’ related to[Mr. Furlotte’s action] that shall legitimately be allowed to go to trial”. Thus, the judge declared he was not satisfied the pleading shouldbe struck out as an abuse of process. He, therefore, dismissed Dr. Forsythe’s motion and ordered him to pay Mr.
Furlotte, who was self-represented, costs of $10,000. [23] Applying the standard of review articulated in Beaverbrook, I conclude the motion judge’s decision is notentitled to any deference because it is founded on an erroneous understanding of the governing principle. In my view, the judgemistakenly applied the test to be used in determining a motion for
summary judgment instead of the criteria he should have considered inruling on the question whether Mr. Furlotte’s claim constituted an abuse of the court’s process. [24] The
summary judgment test, articulated by Stratton C.J.N.B. in Ripulone v. Pontecorvo (1989), (NB CA), 104 N.B.R. (2d) 56, [1989] N.B.J. No. 1138 (C.A.) (QL) and confirmed in Lange v. Cannon et al. (1998), (NB CA), 203 N.B.R. (2d) 121, [1998] N.B.J. No. 313 (C.A.) (QL), per Drapeau J.A. (as he then was) at paras. 18-19, is astringent one and is designed to determine whether there is any reason to doubt the outcome of a matter between specific parties becausethe moving party’s case is “unanswerable”. It is a test that addresses issues between litigants.
[25] On the other hand, the criteria that should have governed the present case transcend the issues between the twolitigants; they also involve the judicial system. The abuse invoked in this case was “abuse of process by relitigation”, therefore requiringthe motion judge to determine, not whether there were triable factual issues, but whether the very trial of those issues would be contraryto the interest of justice. [26] Both Mr. Furlotte and Dr. Forsythe maintain the leading authority on the doctrine of abuse of process byrelitigation is the Toronto (City) case referred to above. I agree.
In that case, a labour arbitrator held that a criminal conviction was notconclusive as to whether or not a municipal recreational instructor had sexually assaulted a boy, and resolved a grievance by concludingthe grievor had rebutted the presumption raised by the conviction. In the end, the arbitrator held the grievor had been wrongfullydismissed from his employment.
The Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Divisional Court), the Ontario Court of Appeal and finally theSupreme Court of Canada all held otherwise; each court offering different reasons why the grievor should not have been allowed torelitigate the criminal conviction. [27] The reasons of Arbour J., for a unanimous Supreme Court on this point, now constitute the prevailing authorityon the doctrine of abuse of process. The Court’s decision holds that to allow C.U.P.E. to relitigate the criminal conviction wouldconstitute such an abuse.
But the Toronto (City) case is not limited to the relitigation of criminal convictions. Justice Arbour expresslynotes that the doctrine equally applies where what is sought to be relitigated is a decision made in a civil case: para. 49. [28] Justice Arbour points out that “[t]he doctrine of abuse of process is used in a variety of legal contexts” (para.36) and, quoting Goudge J.A. in Canam Enterprises Inc. v. Coles, (ON CA), [2000] O.J.
No. 4607 (C.A.) (QL),explains that what was engaged in the Toronto (City) case was “‘the inherent power of the court to prevent the misuse of its procedure, ina way that would … bring the administration of justice into disrepute’” (para. 37). The quote continues: “‘[o]ne circumstance in whichabuse of process has been applied is where the litigation before the court is found to be in essence an attempt to relitigate a claim whichthe court has already determined’” (para. 37).
In essence, “[i]n all of its applications, the primary focus of the doctrine of abuse ofprocess is the integrity of the adjudicative functions of courts” (para. 43). [29] Borrowing from Doherty J.A. in the decision on appeal, Arbour J. explains that the doctrine of abuse of processseeks to avoid situations that would be detrimental to the adjudicative process, which “strives to do justice”, not only by “achieving […]the correct result in individual cases” but also by “the broader perception that the process as a whole achieves results which areconsistent, fair and accurate” (para. 44). [30] The three following paragraphs explain the focus, rationale and scope of the doctrine: Rather than focus on the motive or status of the parties, the doctrine of abuse of process concentrates on the integrity of the adjudicativeprocess.
Three preliminary observations are useful in that respect. First, there can be no assumption that relitigation will yield a moreaccurate result than the original proceeding. Second, if the same result is reached in the subsequent proceeding, the relitigation willprove to have been a waste of judicial resources as well as an unnecessary expense for the parties and possibly an additional hardship forsome witnesses.
Finally, if the result in the subsequent proceeding is different from the conclusion reached in the first on the very sameissue, the inconsistency, in and of itself, will undermine the credibility of the entire judicial process, thereby diminishing its authority, itscredibility and its aim of finality. In contrast, proper review by way of appeal increases confidence in the ultimate result and affirms both the authority of the process aswell as the finality of the result.
It is therefore apparent that from the system’s point of view, relitigation carries serious detrimentaleffects and should be avoided unless the circumstances dictate that relitigation is in fact necessary to enhance the credibility and theeffectiveness of the adjudicative process as a whole.
There may be instances where relitigation will enhance, rather than impeach, theintegrity of the judicial system, for example: (1) when the first proceeding is tainted by fraud or dishonesty; (2) when fresh, newevidence, previously unavailable, conclusively impeaches the original results; or (3) when fairness dictates that the original result shouldnot be binding in the new context. This was stated unequivocally by this Court in Danyluk, supra, at para. 80.
The discretionary factors that apply to prevent the doctrine of issue estoppel from operating in an unjust or unfair way are equallyavailable to prevent the doctrine of abuse of process from achieving a similar undesirable result. There are many circumstances in whichthe bar against relitigation, either through the doctrine of res judicata or that of abuse of process, would create unfairness.
If, for instance,the stakes in the original proceeding were too minor to generate a full and robust response, while the subsequent stakes wereconsiderable, fairness would dictate that the administration of justice would be better served by permitting the second proceeding to goforward than by insisting that finality should prevail. An inadequate incentive to defend, the discovery of new evidence in appropriatecircumstances, or a tainted original process may all overcome the interest in maintaining the finality of the original decision (Danyluk,supra, at para. 51; Franco, supra, at para. 55).
[paras. 51-53] [ 31 ] In Behn v. Moulton Contracting Ltd, 2013 SCC 26 , [2013] 2 S.C.R. 227 , the Supreme Court reaffirmed and applied the principles articulated in Toronto (City) . These same principles were applied by this Court in Executive Director of Assessment (N.B.) v. Ganong Bros. Ltd. et al. , 2004 NBCA 46 , 271 N.B.R. (2d) 43 , in which Robertson J.A. stated as follows: […] there is another doctrine that seeks to prevent re-litigation of an issue.
The doctrine of abuse of process can be invoked to prevent re- litigation of an issue where the strict requirements of issue estoppel (typically the privity/mutuality requirements) are not met. The notion is that if the litigation is allowed to proceed there will be a violation of the principles of judicial economy, consistency, finality and the integrity of the administration of justice. In short, the doctrine engages the inherent power of the court to prevent the misuse of its procedure in a way that would bring the administration of justice into disrepute.
It is a flexible doctrine unencumbered by the specific requirements of issue estoppel: Toronto (City) at para. 35 et seq. [para. 48] [ 32 ] Admittedly, the factual contexts in both Behn and Ganong , as with most of the cases that have applied the principles articulated in Toronto (City) , are different than that of the present case. The British Columbia Court of Appeal did, however, have occasion to apply these same principles in the context of a case that has some similarities. [ 33 ] In Skender v. Farley , 2007 BCCA 629 , [2007] B.C.J.
No. 2703 (QL) , the Court applied the doctrine to a situation in which unsuccessful parties to an action later sued a notary public who had handled the property transaction that was the subject of the first action and who had been a witness in that proceeding. The notary applied for
summary dismissal of the second action and included abuse of process among the grounds invoked. His application was initially dismissed, but that decision was reversed on appeal. [ 34 ] Applying the principles articulated in Toronto (City ) , Chiasson J.A., for the majority, explains why he concludes the second action should have been summarily dismissed: In my view, insofar as the Skenders pursue Mr. Farley for failing to follow their instructions, this action is an abuse of process.
The core issue before Dorgan J. [the trial judge in the first action] was whether the property, as registered, reflected the true interests of Nada and Leon Skender. She found that it did. In para. 26 the chambers judge [on the application for
summary dismissal of the second action] said, "[t]o succeed the plaintiffs in this action are going to have to persuade a trier of fact to come to different conclusions on essential points". It would be a misuse of the court’s procedures, would impinge upon the integrity of judicial decision making and would hold the administration of justice in disrepute if, in this action, the Skenders were allowed to seek a conclusion contrary to the findings of Dorgan J. as inevitably they must to succeed. [para. 32] [ 35 ] The facts in Skender are similar to the present case.
The motion judge acknowledged that, in an eventual trial of the action against Dr. Forsythe, the trial judge would have to “rule on the question of the quantum of damages caused to” Mr. Furlotte as a result of the injuries suffered in the 1997 motor vehicle accident. This was, in fact, the very issue determined at trial in the action arising of that motor vehicle accident, and later varied on appeal.
Justice Chiasson’s statement is apposite: to allow a different trier of fact to come to a different conclusion on the same issue debated in an earlier trial would be a misuse of the court’s procedures, would impinge upon the integrity of judicial decision-making and would bring the administration of justice into disrepute. [ 36 ] For Mr. Furlotte to succeed in his claim against Dr. Forsythe, he would have had to convince the trial judge to make findings contrary to those already made after a full and fair trial and appeal, such as: 1) Mr.
Furlotte’s pre-existing back condition was not as serious as initially judicially determined; 2) his pre-existing condition would not have naturally worsened had he not been injured in the accident; 3) the injuries suffered in the motor vehicle accident were worse than initially determined; 4) the injuries caused a disability for a longer period than that initially determined; 5) the damages resulting from the injuries suffered in the motor vehicle accident are greater than those earlier adjudicated. [ 37 ] Of course, in order to consider these questions, the second judge would be required to pass fresh judgment on
the credibility of the same witnesses who testified at the first trial. [ 38 ] In my respectful view, this case falls squarely in the category of cases that would constitute an abuse of process by relitigation if allowed to proceed, and that, as a result, would be detrimental to the adjudicative process. I make the same preliminary observations as Arbour J.: • there is no assumption the case against Dr.
Forsythe would yield a more accurate result than the original proceeding; • if the same result were reached as in the previous action, the relitigation would have been a waste of judicial resources as well as an unnecessary expense for the parties and would possibly have added hardship for some witnesses; • if the result in the action against Dr.
Forsythe were different from the conclusion reached in the motor vehicle action on the very same issues, this inconsistency, in and of itself, would undermine the credibility of the entire judicial process, thereby diminishing its authority, its credibility and its aim of finality. [ 39 ] It is on appeal that the quantum of damages assessed at the first trial was to be reviewed. Such a review “increases confidence in the ultimate result and affirms both the authority of the process as well as the finality of the result”: Toronto (City) , at para. 52 .
This was done. [ 40 ] Relitigation in this case would not enhance, rather than impeach, the integrity of the judicial system. There is no indication the first proceeding was tainted by fraud or dishonesty. If there were to be allegations of malice or fraud against Dr. Forsythe, the time to raise those allegations would have been during the first trial, by cross-examination or rebuttal evidence, not in a subsequent proceeding against him.
In any event, the type of tainting by fraud or dishonesty to which Arbour J. referred, when giving examples of situations where the integrity of the judicial system might in fact be enhanced by a second proceeding, in my view refers to a fraud or dishonesty involving the process itself. As an example, a proceeding would be tainted by fraud or dishonesty if it were shown rulings had been made for an oblique motive unrelated to the proceeding.
There is no suggestion of the sort in the present case. [ 41 ] There is also no indication that fresh, new evidence, previously unavailable , would conclusively impeach the result reached by either the trial court or the Court of Appeal in the action arising out of the motor vehicle accident. [ 42 ] I add here that this is also not a case where fairness dictates the original result should not be binding in the new context. It is not a case where the stakes in the original proceeding were too minor to have generated the need for a full trial of the issues. To the contrary, the stakes were very high. Mr.
Furlotte sought damages exceeding $4,000,000. It was his obligation to prove those damages by bringing all the relevant evidence he could muster in support of his claim, or risk adverse findings. With the aid of experienced counsel, he presumably put his proverbial best foot forward over the course of the trial that lasted several days. To allow him now to try to impeach the results of that trial would add nothing to the adjudicative fairness already afforded him.
Rather, it would undermine the credibility of the entire judicial process by diminishing the authority, credibility and finality of the original decision- makers: both the trial judge and the Court of Appeal. [ 43 ] I have no hesitation in concluding that to allow Mr. Furlotte’s action against Dr. Forsythe to proceed would constitute an abuse of the court’s process. If, instead of relying on the test normally applied in a
summary judgment situation, the motion judge had applied the proper criteria and focused on the effect the action against Dr. Forsythe would have on the administration of justice, he would inescapably have reached the same conclusion. There simply is no justifiable basis for allowing the court’s process to be abused in such a fashion. C. The appropriate relief [ 44 ] Mr. Furlotte contends the motion judge erred in excluding certain medical literature that had been attached to his affidavit. He submits that, if the appeal is allowed, the relief should be different than that which Dr. Forsythe seeks.
According to Mr. Furlotte, the proper relief is not to strike his pleading but rather to send the matter “back before the same judge on the issue of abuse of process and [he, Mr. Furlotte,] should be allowed to have discovery of [Dr. Forsythe] before continuation of the motion or allowed to cross-examine [him] at the hearing of the motion and allowed to submit viva voice ( sic ) evidence at the hearing of the motion”.
[ 45 ] This contention can be summarily dismissed. No amount of discovery or further cross-examination of Dr. Forsythe at this point could validate the harm that would be done to the reputation of the judicial system as a whole by allowing this action to proceed. [ 46 ] In my view, the appropriate relief is for this Court to make the order the motion judge should have made, that is strike out the Statement of Claim and dismiss Mr. Furlotte’s action. V.
Disposition [ 47 ] For these reasons, I would allow the appeal, set aside the motion judge’s decision, and, pursuant to Rule 27.09, strike out the Statement of Claim in Mr. Furlotte’s action against Dr. Forsythe. Having struck out the Statement of Claim, I would give effect to Dr. Forsythe’s motion for
summary judgment and dismiss Mr. Furlotte’s action. Dr. Forsythe is entitled to costs both in the proceedings in the Court of Queen’s Bench and before us. I would fix these at $3,000 in each instance. ___________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A. We concur: ____________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. _____________________________ Bradley V. Green, J.A . Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE RICHARD I. Introduction [1] Le demandeur mécontent qui, insatisfait des dommages-intérêts reçus dans une action pour lésions corporelles, actionne ensuite la personne qui a réalisé une évaluation médicale indépendante et donné un témoignage d’expert sur lequel
la Cour s’est fondée dans l’action d’origine, abuse-t-il de la procédure judiciaire? Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a conclu que non et, saisi d’une motion en rejet
sommaire présentée par le médecin, a refusé de mettre un terme à la procédure. Le médecin appelle de ce jugement avec l’autorisation de la Cour. Je suis du respectueux avis que la décision du juge ne commande aucune déférence, parce que le choix des principes appliqués à la question qu’il devait trancher était incorrect. Les motifs qui suivent expliquent pourquoi j’arrive à une conclusion contraire dans les circonstances. II. Contexte factuel [2] En 1997, Weldon Furlotte, qui exerçait la profession d’avocat, a été blessé dans un accident de la route.
Comme il entendait poursuivre l’autre personne engagée dans l’accident, M. Furlotte s’est fait représenter. Son avocate a chargé un expert en orthopédie, le D r Michael George Forsythe, d’évaluer les lésions de M. Furlotte et de produire un rapport en vue du procès. Le D r Forsythe s’est acquitté du travail demandé. De fait, il a produit plusieurs rapports. Au procès, l’avocate de M. Furlotte a décidé de ne pas appeler à témoigner le D r Forsythe. L’avocat du défendeur a fait le choix inverse. À la barre des témoins, le D r Forsythe a donné une évaluation des lésions et des déficiences fonctionnelles de M.
Furlotte, et une opinion sur son degré d’invalidité. Le D r Forsythe était essentiellement d’avis que l’accident de la route avait exacerbé une douleur qu’avait connue M. Furlotte, mais n’avait pas aggravé la discopathie préexistante qui l’affligeait. Il estimait également que l’affection préexistante aurait fini par compromettre la capacité de travailler de M. Furlotte. [3] Le D r Forsythe n’est pas le seul expert que le défendeur a appelé à témoigner lors de l’instruction de la poursuite en dommages-intérêts à laquelle l’accident de la route a donné lieu.
Le D r John Milczarek, spécialiste du traitement de la douleur, a témoigné lui aussi. Il estimait que la douleur persistante de M. Furlotte avait pour cause une discopathie dégénérative, et non les lésions subies lors de l’accident. Le D r Milczarek s’est dit d’avis que, s’il était possible que l’accident eût aggravé le mal préexistant, la situation de M. Furlotte aurait fini par empirer de toute façon. [4] Dans la décision Furlotte c. Elward , 2010 NBBR 247 , 362 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 365 , un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a conclu que les lésions subies par M.
Furlotte lors de l’accident de la route n’avaient entraîné ni perte de revenus ni perte de capacité de gagner un revenu. Les dommages-intérêts généraux pour souffrances, douleurs et perte d’agrément ont été évalués à 30 000 $, et des dommages-intérêts particuliers de 74 500 $ ont été accordés à M. Furlotte pour perte passée de services utiles. La somme octroyée était à des lieues des dommages-intérêts de plus de 4 000 000 $ qu’il réclamait. [5] M. Furlotte a appelé de l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts faite par le juge du procès. M. Elward a formé un appel reconventionnel. Notre Cour a débouté M.
Furlotte, mais accueilli l’appel reconventionnel ( Furlotte c. Elward , 2011 NBCA 95 , 379 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 199 ). Elle a ramené à 28 500 $ les dommages-intérêts pour perte passée de services utiles. [6] Il semble que la décision de la Cour d’appel ait suscité deux autres actions. Dans la première, M. Furlotte poursuit en dommages-intérêts les D rs Forsythe et Milczarek. Il attaque l’opinion que chacun a formulée lors de l’instruction de l’action à laquelle a donné lieu l’accident de la route.
Il soutient qu’ils sont coupables de négligence envers lui, qu’ils ont rompu un contrat, et qu’ils ont manqué à une obligation tant envers la Cour qu’envers lui. Dans un exposé de la demande modifié, il accuse également les médecins de conduite volontaire et malveillante. Naturellement, les deux médecins ont contesté l’action et nié ce qu’affirmait M. Furlotte. Ils ont ensuite demandé l’un et l’autre le rejet
sommaire de l’action. Le D r Milczarek l’a obtenu; le D r Forsythe non. [7] Ces conclusions en apparence contradictoires s’expliquent par le fait que le D r Milczarek pouvait avancer un motif de rejet
sommaire qui ne s’offrait pas au D r Forsythe. En 2009, M. Furlotte avait engagé une action contre le D r Milczarek et soutenu que ses rapports médicolégaux étaient porteurs d’assertions inexactes et frauduleuses. Un rejet
sommaire avait mis un terme à cette action ( Furlotte c. Milczarek , 2011 NBBR 105 , 372 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 349 ). M. Furlotte avait ensuite été débouté de l’appel interjeté de la décision ( Furlotte c. Milczarek , 2012 NBCA 24 , 383 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 237 ). Au soutien de sa motion en rejet
sommaire de la seconde action de M. Furlotte, le D r Milczarek a plaidé avec succès l’autorité de la chose jugée. C’est sur le fondement de ce seul motif que le juge saisi de la motion a rejeté l’action intentée au D r Milczarek. Comme le D r Forsythe n’avait pas été
partie à l’action antérieure, il ne pouvait plaider cette exception. En ce qui concerne le D r Forsythe, le juge a rejeté la motion et décidé que le procès devrait avoir lieu. [8] Je précise qu’il y a eu rejet
sommaire, aussi, de la seconde action intentée par M. Furlotte après que la Cour d’appel a réduit ses dommages-intérêts.
[9] Par l’entremise de son assureur, M. Elward avait versé en entier à M. Furlotte le montant du jugement rendu au procès, intérêts et dépens compris. Après la réduction des dommages-intérêts par la Cour d’appel, M. Elward a tenté de recouvrer la somme payée en trop. Son avocat, M e Charles A. LeBlond, c.r., a écrit à M. Furlotte, qui ne lui a pas répondu. M e LeBlond a écrit à la registraire de la Cour d’appel dans le but d’obtenir un jugement pour le paiement en trop. Sa lettre était accompagnée d’un projet de jugement.
Après avoir apporté des changements au texte, une registraire adjointe a inscrit un jugement ordonnant à M. Furlotte le remboursement du paiement en trop, de même que le versement d’intérêts et de dépens. Des démarches ont ensuite été entreprises en vue de faire exécuter le jugement. [10] Le 2 juillet 2014, M. Furlotte a engagé une action à la fois contre M e LeBlond et contre l’expert en sinistres affecté au dossier. Il soutenait qu’ils avaient sciemment et volontairement déposé et enregistré un jugement faux et trompeur contre lui. Les défendeurs à l’action ont demandé un jugement
sommaire. Il leur a été accordé ( Furlotte c. LeBlond et Kelly , 2015 NBBR 124 , 437 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 315 ). M. Furlotte en a appelé. Il a été débouté de son appel ( Furlotte c. LeBlond et autre , 2015 NBCA 70 , [2015] A.N.- B. n o 270 (QL) ). III. Questions soulevées en appel [11] La motion du D r Forsythe en rejet
sommaire de l’action intentée par M. Furlotte prenait appui sur trois règles distinctes : (1) la règle 22.01(3), suivant laquelle il sollicitait de la Cour un jugement
sommaire pour le motif qu’aucune des demandes de M. Furlotte n’était fondée; (2) la règle 23.01(1), suivant laquelle il avançait que les plaidoiries ne révélaient aucune cause d’action raisonnable ou que l’action était sans fondement parce qu’il était protégé par l’immunité dont jouit un témoin; (3) la règle 27.09, suivant laquelle il soutenait que l’exposé de la demande devait être radié, et l’action rejetée, parce que la demande était scandaleuse, frivole, vexatoire, et constituait un usage abusif de la procédure judiciaire. [12] En ce qui concerne le D r Forsythe, le juge saisi de la motion a tranché en faveur de M. Furlotte toutes les questions soulevées dans la motion en rejet
sommaire. Comme la décision du juge était de nature interlocutoire, le D r Forsythe a demandé l’autorisation d’en appeler. Elle lui a été accordée. Dans son avis d’appel, le D r Forsythe s’en prend à une seule des nombreuses décisions du juge saisi de la motion. Il avance que le juge a commis une erreur en ne radiant pas la plaidoirie de M. Furlotte parce qu’elle constituait un abus de la procédure judiciaire. Plus précisément, les moyens d’appel du D r Forsythe avancent que le juge saisi de la motion a commis les erreurs suivantes : [TRADUCTION]
i) il a appliqué le mauvais critère pour déterminer s’il y avait eu abus de procédure; ii) il a conclu que l’action ne constituait pas un abus de procédure; iii) il n’a pas conclu que l’action attaquait indirectement ou tentait de remettre en cause les conclusions prononcées par le juge George Rideout dans la décision Furlotte c.
Elward , 2010 NBBR 247 (dossier MC 88-99), notamment ses conclusions sur la nature et l’importance des lésions du demandeur, qu’elles aient été causées par l’accident de la route de 1997 ou qu’elles aient été préexistantes, et sur les pertes amenées par cet accident; iv) il a conclu que les plaidoiries de l’action soulevaient des questions de fait ou de crédibilité nouvelles, qui ne s’étaient pas posées et qui n’avaient pas été tranchées dans la décision Furlotte c. Elward , 2010 NBBR 247[.] [13] M. Furlotte a déposé un avis de désaccord.
Il y soutient que la décision du juge saisi de la motion pourrait être confirmée pour des motifs autres que ceux qui ont été donnés, motifs qu’il articule ainsi : [TRADUCTION] 1) Si le juge saisi de la motion a donné un énoncé erroné ou insuffisant du critère juridique avant d’exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire et de rejeter la motion en jugement
sommaire de l’appelant, en ce qui a trait au motif d’usage abusif de la procédure judiciaire, il savait parfaitement que le droit requiert une mise en balance, comme sa décision l’indique, et il a de toute évidence repoussé l’argument avancé par l’appelant lors de l’audition de la motion.
2) La preuve établissait bien que l’intimé avait une cause solide et justifiable à première vue, ce que l’appelant n’a absolument pas contesté, et la décision du juge ne reposait pas uniquement sur une appréciation de la crédibilité. [14] M. Furlotte avance subsidiairement que, si l’appel est accueilli, il a droit à des mesures de redressement différentes de celle que le D r Forsythe demande. Il soutient ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] 1) La motion en jugement
sommaire devrait être renvoyée au même juge, en ce qui concerne l’abus de procédure, et il devrait être permis à l’intimé de soumettre l’appelant à un interrogatoire préalable, avant la reprise de la motion, ou de contre-interroger l’appelant et de présenter un témoignage de vive voix lors de l’audition de la motion.
L’intimé avait demandé toutes ces mesures au juge saisi de la motion, qui a manifestement conclu qu’il n’était pas nécessaire de les lui accorder vu la preuve forte, suffisante à première vue, qu’il avait présentée. 2) Le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a exclu la documentation médicale qui accompagnait les affidavits de l’intimé. Il se peut que l’exclusion en ait été appropriée sous le régime de la règle 22 des Règles de procédure , mais elle n’aurait dû valoir que pour la décision rendue en application de la règle 22.
Il aurait fallu admettre la documentation médicale en vue de la présentation de preuve, et la prendre en considération pour rendre une décision, en ce qui concerne toute motion en jugement
sommaire fondée sur la règle 27.09 des Règles de procédure . [15] Je me pencherai d’abord, ci-après, sur la norme de contrôle suivant laquelle doivent être analysées les questions en litige. Je grouperai ensuite sous une seule rubrique, pour l’application de cette norme, les questions soulevées dans l’avis d’appel. J’examinerai à ce moment-là les motifs de l’avis de désaccord. Enfin, je statuerai sur les mesures de redressement que requerra la conclusion à laquelle je serai arrivé. IV. Analyse A.
Norme de contrôle [16] Les normes de contrôle qui régissent les appels seront bientôt devenues, si elles ne le sont pas déjà, chose acquise en droit. Le présent appel porte sur le refus du juge de rejeter
sommairement, pour abus de procédure, l’action intentée. Ce genre de décision interlocutoire est tenu pour l’exercice d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire, en ce sens que le juge soupèse les divers facteurs et détermine s’il est en mesure d’affirmer aux premiers stades de l’instance, par application des principes directeurs, que permettre l’instruction de l’action entraînerait un abus de procédure. La Cour suprême du Canada s’est exprimée clairement sur ce point dans Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P.,
section locale 79 , 2003 CSC 63 , [2003] 3 R.C.S. 77 , aux par. 35 , 42 et 43 (la juge Arbour). [17] Il a été affirmé maintes et maintes fois que les décisions judiciaires discrétionnaires, quoiqu’elles engagent à la déférence en général, ne sont pas entièrement soustraites au contrôle des tribunaux d’appel.
Il est permis à la Cour d’appel d’intervenir si la décision « est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve [ou] si elle est déraisonnable, c’est-à-dire s’il n’y a rien dans le dossier qui la justifie » ( La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 161 , le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., par. 4). [18] Il sera statué sur le présent appel par application de cette norme. B.
Abus de procédure [19] La disposition suivant laquelle le D r Forsythe soutient qu’il fallait radier l’exposé de la demande de M. Furlotte apparaît à la règle 27.09 des Règles de procédure :
27.09 Striking Out a Pleading orOther Document The court may strike out anypleading, or other document, or anypart thereof, at any time, with orwithout leave to amend, upon suchterms as may be just, on the groundthat it (
a) may prejudice, embarrass or delaythe fair trial of the action, (
b) is scandalous, frivolous orvexatious, or (
c) is an abuse of the process of thecourt. 27.09 Radiation d’une plaidoirie oude quelque autre document La cour peut toujours annuler uneplaidoirie ou un autre document entout ou en partie, avec ou sanspermission de les modifier et auxconditions qu’elle estime justes, aumotif que l’écrit en question
a) peut compromettre, gêner ouretarder le jugement équitable del’action,
b) est scandaleux, frivole ou vexatoireou
c) constitue un usage abusif de laprocédure judiciaire. [20] Pour déterminer si la demande de M. Furlotte constituait un usage abusif de la procédure judiciaire, le jugesaisi de la motion a d’abord entrepris de cerner la nature de la question soulevée. Il s’est reporté au par. 35 des motifs de la juge Arbour,dans Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P., et a correctement constaté que le pouvoir invoqué était discrétionnaire. Après avoir cité de longs extraitsdes mémoires des parties, le juge s’est demandé si l’abus de procédure était démontré.
Il a expliqué qu’il avait relevé, à la lecture de l’exposé de la demande modifié, de multiples [TRADUCTION] « fautes et transgressions » attribuées au Dr Forsythe, de même que denombreuses catégories de dommages [TRADUCTION], « dont aucune ne faisait
partie ou n’aurait pu logiquement faire
partie de l’actionde 1999 consécutive à l’accident de la route ». [21] Il est apparu au juge saisi de la motion que, si l’action était instruite, toutes les catégories de dommages-intérêts et questions en litige, exception faite du quantum des dommages-intérêts accordés pour les lésions subies par M. Furlotte lors del’accident de la route de 1997, seraient nouvelles.
Il s’est dit de l’avis suivant : [TRADUCTION] « [Il est] prématuré d’affirmer que lapreuve qui sera présentée sur ce point précis […] sera la même que la preuve présentée au juge du procès en avril 2010, étant donné quele juge du procès aura à rendre de nombreuses décisions, d’après la crédibilité des parties […], sur ce que [M. Furlotte] doit avoir véritablement dit [au Dr Forsythe] et en ce qui concerne [ses] états de santé […] antérieur et postérieur à l’accident de 1997 ».
Il a ajouté que de nouvelles décisions seraient aussi nécessaires en matière de crédibilité pour déterminer si le Dr Forsythe avait bel et bien procédéaux [TRADUCTION] « actions et consultations » qu’il affirmait avoir [TRADUCTION] « faites ». [22] Le juge a conclu son analyse ainsi : [TRADUCTION] « [Je relève] sans peine bon nombre de “véritablesquestions” ou de “faits importants” liés à [l’action de M. Furlotte], dont l’instruction sera légitimement permise ». Il a indiqué qu’iln’était pas convaincu qu’il fallait radier la plaidoirie parce que constitutive d’un usage abusif de la procédure judiciaire.
Il a donc rejeté la motion du Dr Forsythe, et il lui a ordonné de verser à M. Furlotte, qui se représentait lui-même, des dépens de 10 000 $. [23] Par application de la norme de contrôle énoncée dans Beaverbrook, je conclus que la décision du juge saisi dela motion n’appelle à aucune déférence, parce qu’elle repose sur une compréhension erronée du principe directeur. À mon sens, le juge aappliqué par erreur le critère qu’il faut utiliser pour statuer sur une motion en jugement
sommaire, au lieu du critère auquel il aurait dû sereporter pour déterminer si la demande de M. Furlotte constituait un usage abusif de la procédure judiciaire. [24] Le critère d’octroi d’un jugement
sommaire, formulé par le juge Stratton, J.C.N.-B., dans l’arrêt Ripulone c. Pontecorvo (1989), (NB CA), 104 R.N.-B. (2e) 56, [1989] A.N.-B. no 1138 (C.A.) (QL), et confirmé par le juge
Drapeau (tel était alors son titre) aux par. 18 et 19 de Cannon c. Lange et al. (1998), (NB CA), 203 R.N.-B. (2e) 121, [1998] A.N.-B. no 313 (C.A.) (QL), est un critère rigoureux. Il demande de déterminer s’il existe des motifs de douter de l’issue del’affaire qui oppose des parties données : l’auteur de la motion doit avoir prouvé sa demande « de façon irréfutable ». Le critère est axésur les questions qui opposent les plaideurs. [25] Or, le critère qui aurait dû diriger l’analyse, ici, transcende les questions opposant les deux plaideurs; ilintéresse en outre le système judiciaire.
L’abus invoqué en l’espèce était l’« abus de procédure pour remise en cause ». Le juge saisi de lamotion devait déterminer, donc, non pas s’il y avait matière à instruction de questions de fait, mais si l’instruction même de ces questionsserait contraire à l’intérêt de la justice. [26] M. Furlotte et le Dr Forsythe affirment l’un et l’autre que Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P., précité, est l’arrêt deprincipe en ce qui concerne la doctrine de l’abus de procédure pour remise en cause. Je suis du même avis.
Dans cette affaire, un arbitreavait conclu que la déclaration de culpabilité d’un instructeur en loisirs municipal, accusé d’agression sexuelle sur un garçon, n’était pasconcluante sur ce point. Il avait statué sur le grief en jugeant que l’employé avait repoussé la présomption née de la déclaration deculpabilité. En définitive, l’arbitre avait conclu au congédiement abusif de l’employé.
La Cour supérieure de justice de l’Ontario (Courdivisionnaire), la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario et, enfin, la Cour suprême du Canada sont toutes arrivées à une autre conclusion; chacune aexpliqué par des motifs différents pourquoi il n’aurait pas fallu permettre la remise en cause de la déclaration de culpabilité. [27] Les motifs que la juge Arbour donne dans cet arrêt, au nom d’une Cour suprême unanime sur ce point, fontautorité et définissent aujourd’hui la doctrine de l’abus de procédure.
La Cour a jugé que permettre au S.C.F.P. de remettre en cause ladéclaration de culpabilité aurait donné lieu à un abus de procédure. Mais, l’arrêt Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P. ne s’applique pas qu’à laremise en cause d’une déclaration de culpabilité. La juge Arbour a précisé que la doctrine de l’abus de procédure entre en jeu, également,si la décision remise en cause a été rendue au civil (par. 49). [28] La juge Arbour a fait remarquer que « [l]a doctrine de l’abus de procédure s’applique dans des contextesjuridiques divers » (par. 36). Elle a cité le juge d’appel Goudge, dans Canam Enterprises Inc. c.
Coles, (ON CA),[2000] O.J. No. 4607 (C.A.) (QL), pour expliquer que Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P. faisait intervenir « [TRADUCTION] “le pouvoirinhérent du tribunal d’empêcher que ses procédures soient utilisées abusivement, d’une manière [...] qui aurait [...] pour effet dediscréditer l’administration de la justice” » (par. 37). La citation se poursuit : « [TRADUCTION] “Un cas d’application de l’abus deprocédure est lorsque le tribunal est convaincu que le litige a essentiellement pour but de rouvrir une question qu’il a déjà tranchée” »(par. 37).
La juge constate que « [d]ans tous ses cas d’application, la doctrine de l’abus de procédure vise essentiellement à préserverl’intégrité de la fonction judiciaire » (par. 43). [29] La juge Arbour a renvoyé aux motifs donnés par le juge d’appel Doherty, dans l’arrêt dont la Cour suprêmeétait saisie, pour expliquer que la doctrine de l’abus de procédure s’attache à prévenir les situations qui porteraient atteinte au processusdécisionnel judiciaire, qui « vise à rendre justice » non seulement par l’obtention « [d’]un résultat approprié dans chaque affaire », maisaussi par « la perception plus générale que l’ensemble du processus donne des résultats cohérents, équitables et exacts » (par. 44). [30] Les trois paragraphes qui suivent expliquent l’objet, les raisons et la portée de la doctrine : La doctrine de l’abus de procédure s’articule autour de l’intégrité du processus juridictionnel et non autour des motivations ou de laqualité des parties.
Il convient de faire trois observations préliminaires à cet égard. Premièrement, on ne peut présumer que la remise encause produira un résultat plus exact que l’instance originale. Deuxièmement, si l’instance subséquente donne lieu à une conclusionsimilaire, la remise en cause aura été un gaspillage de ressources judiciaires et une source de dépenses inutiles pour les parties sanscompter les difficultés supplémentaires qu’elle aura pu occasionner à certains témoins.
Troisièmement, si le résultat de la secondeinstance diffère de la conclusion formulée à l’égard de la même question dans la première, l’incohérence, en soi, ébranlera la crédibilitéde tout le processus judiciaire et en affaiblira ainsi l’autorité, la crédibilité et la vocation à l’irrévocabilité. La révision de jugements par la voie normale de l’appel, en revanche, accroît la confiance dans le résultat final et confirme l’autorité duprocessus ainsi que l’irrévocabilité de son résultat.
D’un point de vue systémique, il est donc évident que la remise en causes’accompagne de graves effets préjudiciables et qu’il faut s’en garder à moins que des circonstances n’établissent qu’elle est, dans lesfaits, nécessaire à la crédibilité et à l’efficacité du processus juridictionnel dans son ensemble.
Il peut en effet y avoir des cas où la remiseen cause pourra servir l’intégrité du système judiciaire plutôt que lui porter préjudice, par exemple : (1) lorsque la première instance estentachée de fraude ou de malhonnêteté, (2) lorsque de nouveaux éléments de preuve, qui n’avaient pu être présentés auparavant, jettentde façon probante un doute sur le résultat initial, (3) lorsque l’équité exige que le résultat initial n’ait pas force obligatoire dans lenouveau contexte. C’est ce que notre Cour a dit sans équivoque dans l’arrêt Danyluk, précité, par. 80.
Les facteurs discrétionnaires, qui visent à empêcher que la préclusion découlant d’une question déjà tranchée ne produise des effets injustes, jouent également en matière d’abus de procédure pour éviter de pareils résultats indésirables. Il existe de nombreuses circonstances où l’interdiction de la remise en cause, qu’elle découle de l’autorité de la chose jugée ou de la doctrine de l’abus de procédure, serait source d’inéquité.
Par exemple, lorsque les enjeux de l’instance initiale ne sont pas assez importants pour susciter une réaction vigoureuse et complète alors que ceux de l’instance subséquente sont considérables, l’équité commande de conclure que l’autorisation de poursuivre la deuxième instance servirait davantage l’administration de la justice que le maintien à tout prix du principe de l’irrévocabilité.
Une incitation insuffisante à opposer une défense, la découverte de nouveaux éléments de preuve dans des circonstances appropriées, ou la présence d’irrégularités dans le processus initial, tous ces facteurs peuvent l’emporter sur l’intérêt qu’il y a à maintenir l’irrévocabilité de la décision initiale ( Danyluk , précité, par. 51; Franco , précité, par. 55). [par. 51 à 53] [31] Dans l’arrêt Behn c. Moulton Contracting Ltd. , 2013 CSC 26 , [2013] 2 R.C.S. 227 , la Cour suprême a réaffirmé et appliqué les principes énoncés dans Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P.
Notre Cour a appliqué ces principes dans l’arrêt Ganong Bros., Limited c. Directeur exécutif de l’évaluation , 2004 NBCA 46 , 271 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 43 , décision où le juge Robertson a écrit ce qui suit : […] il existe une autre doctrine qui vise à empêcher qu’une question soit de nouveau instruite. La doctrine de l’abus de procédure peut être invoquée pour empêcher la réouverture de litiges dans des circonstances où les exigences strictes de la préclusion pour même question en litige (généralement les exigences de connexité et de réciprocité) ne sont pas remplies.
Selon cette notion, la réouverture porterait atteinte aux principes d’économie, de cohérence, de caractère définitif des instances et d’intégrité de l’administration de la justice. En résumé, la doctrine de l’abus de procédure engage le pouvoir inhérent du tribunal judiciaire d’empêcher que ses procédures soient utilisées abusivement, d’une manière qui aurait pour effet de déconsidérer l’administration de la justice.
C’est une doctrine souple qui ne s’encombre pas des exigences particulières de la préclusion pour même question en litige : Toronto (City) , aux paragraphes 35 et suivants. [par. 48] [32] Il est vrai que les faits de Behn et de Ganong , comme ceux de la plupart des causes dans lesquelles ont été appliqués les principes énoncés dans Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P. , diffèrent de ceux de la présente espèce. Cependant, la Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique a bel et bien appliqué ces principes dans une affaire qui présente certaines ressemblances avec celle dont notre Cour est saisie. [33] Dans l’arrêt Skender c.
Farley , 2007 BCCA 629 , [2007] B.C.J. No. 2703 (QL) , la Cour a appliqué la doctrine au cas de parties qui poursuivaient, après avoir perdu un procès portant sur une opération immobilière, le notaire qui avait été chargé de cette opération et qui avait témoigné lors du procès initial. Le notaire a demandé le rejet
sommaire de la seconde action et plaidé, entre autres, l’abus de procédure. Sa demande a été rejetée, mais la Cour d’appel a infirmé cette décision. [34] Le juge d’appel Chiasson, auteur des motifs de la majorité, a appliqué les principes formulés dans Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P. et expliqué p ourquoi il concluait que le rejet
sommaire de la seconde action s’imposait : [TRADUCTION] J’estime que, dans la mesure où les Skender poursuivent M e Farley pour ne pas avoir suivi leurs instructions, cette action est un abus de procédure. La question essentielle, au procès que présidait la juge Dorgan [juge du procès initial], était de savoir si l’enregistrement du bien correspondait aux intérêts véritables de Nada et de Leon Skender. Elle a conclu que oui. Le juge en chambre [saisi de la demande de rejet
sommaire de la seconde action] a indiqué ce qui suit au par. 26 de sa décision : [TRADUCTION] « Pour obtenir gain de cause, les demandeurs à la présente action auront à persuader le juge des faits d’arriver à des conclusions différentes sur des points essentiels ».
Permettre que les Skender, par la présente action, tentent d’obtenir une conclusion contraire aux conclusions de la juge Dorgan, ce qu’ils devront inévitablement faire pour obtenir gain de cause, ouvrirait la voie à une utilisation abusive des procédures du tribunal, compromettrait l’intégrité du processus décisionnel judiciaire et déconsidérerait l’administration de la justice. [par. 32] [35] Les faits de la présente cause sont analogues à ceux de Skender .
En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion a reconnu que, lorsque serait instruite l’action intentée au D r Forsythe, le juge du procès aurait à [TRADUCTION] « trancher la question du quantum des dommages-intérêts » auxquels a droit M. Furlotte par suite des lésions subies lors de l’accident de la route de 1997. Or, le procès consécutif à l’accident de la route a précisément tranché la question de ce quantum, modifié par la suite en appel.
L’observation du juge Chiasson est pertinente : permettre qu’un juge des faits différent arrive à une conclusion différente sur un point en litige débattu dans un procès antérieur ouvrirait la voie à une utilisation abusive des procédures du tribunal, compromettrait l’intégrité du processus décisionnel judiciaire et déconsidérerait l’administration de la justice .
[36] Pour obtenir gain de cause contre le D r Forsythe, M. Furlotte aurait eu à persuader le juge du procès de tirer des conclusions contraires à celles qui avaient été prononcées au terme d’un procès et d’un appel complets et équitables. Ces conclusions contraires auraient été, par exemple, celles-ci : 1) l’affection dorsale préexistante de M. Furlotte n’était pas aussi grave que les tribunaux l’avaient jugé au départ; 2) son affection préexistante n’aurait pas empiré naturellement si M.
Furlotte n’avait pas été blessé lors de l’accident; 3) les lésions subies lors de l’accident de la route étaient plus graves qu’on ne l’avait d’abord jugé; 4) les lésions avaient causé une invalidité de durée plus longue que ce qu’on avait d’abord prévu; 5) les dommages-intérêts à verser par suite des lésions que l’accident de la route avait causées étaient plus élevés que ceux qui avaient été accordés. [37] Bien entendu, l’examen de ces questions aurait exigé du second juge une nouvelle appréciation de la crédibilité des témoins du premier procès. [38] À mon respectueux avis, l’action intentée appartient précisément à la catégorie des actions qui, si l’instruction en était permise, entraîneraient un abus de procédure pour remise en cause et qui, de ce fait, porteraient atteinte au processus décisionnel judiciaire .
Je fais les mêmes observations préliminaires que la juge Arbour : • on ne peut présumer que l’action intentée au D r Forsythe produirait un résultat plus exact que l’instance originale; • si la conclusion est similaire à celle de l’action antérieure, la remise en cause aura été un gaspillage de ressources judiciaires et une source de dépenses inutiles pour les parties, sans compter les difficultés qu’elle aura pu occasionner à certains témoins; • si le résultat de l’action intentée au D r Forsythe différait des conclusions formulées à l’égard des mêmes questions dans l’action intentée par suite de l’accident de la route, cette incohérence, en soi, ébranlerait la crédibilité de tout le processus judiciaire et en affaiblirait l’autorité, la crédibilité et la vocation à l’irrévocabilité. [39] C’est en appel qu’il fallait procéder à la révision du quantum des dommages-intérêts accordés au premier procès.
La révision de décisions par voie d’appel « accroît la confiance dans le résultat final et confirme l’autorité du processus ainsi que l’irrévocabilité de son résultat » ( Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P. , par. 52). Il en a été ainsi. [40] Une remise en cause, en l’espèce, n’était pas une voie qui aurait servi l’intégrité du système judiciaire, plutôt que lui porter préjudice. Rien n’indique que la première instance ait été entachée de fraude ou de malhonnêteté.
S’il fallait accuser le D r Forsythe de malveillance ou de fraude, ces accusations devaient être formulées au premier procès, par un contre-interrogatoire ou par une contre-preuve, et non dans une instance engagée ultérieurement contre lui. Quoi qu’il en soit, j’estime que le genre de fraude ou de malhonnêteté auquel fait allusion la juge Arbour, lorsqu’elle donne des exemples de situations dans lesquelles une deuxième instance peut bel et bien servir l’intégrité du système judiciaire, est une fraude ou une malhonnêteté qui touche le processus proprement dit.
Par exemple, une instance serait entachée de fraude ou de malhonnêteté s’il était démontré que des décisions ont été rendues pour un motif détourné, sans rapport avec l’instance.
Rien de tel n’est avancé en l’espèce. [41] Rien n’indique non plus que de nouveaux éléments de preuve, qui n’ont pu être présentés auparavant , jetteraient de façon probante un doute sur les résultats des instances engagées, d’abord devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine, puis devant la Cour d’appel, par suite de l’accident de la route. [42] J’ajouterai qu’il ne s’agit pas, non plus, d’un cas où l’équité exige que le résultat initial n’ait pas force obligatoire dans le nouveau contexte.
Il ne s’agit pas d’un cas où l’enjeu de l’instance initiale n’était pas assez important pour que s’impose la nécessité d’une instruction complète des questions en litige. Au contraire, l’enjeu était de taille. M. Furlotte réclamait des dommages-intérêts de plus de 4 000 000 $. Il était tenu de prouver les dommages dont il demandait réparation en présentant, au soutien de sa demande, toute la preuve pertinente qu’il pouvait recueillir, sans quoi il risquait des conclusions défavorables. Il est permis de présumer que M.
Furlotte, aidé d’une avocate expérimentée, a fait de son mieux, suivant l’expression consacrée, au cours d’un procès qui aura duré plusieurs jours. Permettre aujourd’hui à M. Furlotte de tenter de jeter un doute sur les résultats de ce procès n’ajouterait rien à l’équité dont les tribunaux ont déjà fait montre envers lui. Loin de là, ce serait ébranler la crédibilité de tout le processus judiciaire en
affaiblissant l’autorité, la crédibilité et la vocation à l’irrévocabilité des décisions des autorités judiciaires initiales : le juge du procès et la Cour d’appel. [43] Je conclus sans hésiter que permettre que soit instruite l’action intentée au D r Forsythe par M. Furlotte donnerait lieu à un usage abusif de la procédure judiciaire. Si le juge saisi de la motion, au lieu de s’appuyer sur le critère normalement appliqué en situation de jugement
sommaire, avait appliqué le critère approprié et concentré son attention sur l’effet qu’aurait l’action sur l’administration de la justice, il serait inévitablement arrivé à la même conclusion. Rien ne justifie de permettre pareil abus de la procédure judiciaire. C. Mesure de redressement appropriée [44] M. Furlotte soutient que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a exclu certains documents médicaux joints à son affidavit. Il avance que, si l’appel était accueilli, la mesure de redressement accordée devrait différer de celle que demande le D r Forsythe. De l’avis de M.
Furlotte, la mesure de redressement appropriée n’est pas de radier la plaidoirie, mais de renvoyer l’affaire [TRADUCTION] « au même juge, en ce qui concerne l’abus de procédure, et il devrait être permis à [M. Furlotte] de soumettre [le D r Forsythe] à un interrogatoire préalable, avant la reprise de la motion, ou de [le] contre-interroger […] et de présenter un témoignage de vive voix lors de l’audition de la motion ». [45] Ce désaccord de M. Furlotte peut être repoussé
sommairement. Ni interrogatoire préalable ni nouveau contre- interrogatoire du D r Forsythe ne pourraient, à ce stade-ci, légitimer le dommage qui serait fait à la considération dont jouit le système de justice, dans son ensemble, si cette action était instruite. [46] À mon sens, la mesure de redressement appropriée consiste à rendre l’ordonnance que le juge saisi de la motion aurait dû rendre, soit radier l’exposé de la demande et rejeter l’action de M. Furlotte. V.
Dispositif [47] Pour ces motifs, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel, d’annuler la décision du juge saisi de la motion et, en vertu de la règle 27.09, de radier l’exposé de la demande de l’action que M. Furlotte a intentée au D r Forsythe. L’exposé de la demande étant radié, je ferais droit à la motion du D r Forsythe en jugement
sommaire et rejetterais l’action de M. Furlotte. Le D r Forsythe a droit tant aux dépens de l’instance engagée devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine qu’à ceux de l’appel. Je suis d’avis de les fixer à 3 000 $ dans chaque cas.