2017 NBCA 57, 2017 NBCA 57
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 38-17-CA NEW BRUNSWICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE APPELLANT COLLÈGE COMMUNAUTAIRE DU NOUVEAU- BRUNSWICK APPELANT - and - - et - DARYL BARTON RESPONDENT DARYL BARTON INTIMÉ New Brunswick Community College v. Barton, 2017 NBCA 57 Collège communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick c.
Barton, 2017 NBCA 57 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Drapeau l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 5, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 5 avril 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2017 NBQB 58 Décision frappée d’appel : 2017 NBBR 58 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: October 24, 2017 Appel entendu : le 24 octobre 2017
Judgment rendered: October 24, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 24 octobre 2017 Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Clarence L. Bennett Daryl Barton appeared in person Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Clarence L. Bennett Daryl Barton a comparu en personne THE COURT The appeal is allowed, with reasons to follow. LA COUR L’appel a été accueilli avec motifs à suivre. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT (Orally) [ 1 ] The appeal is allowed, with reasons to follow. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR (oralement) [1] L’appel est accueilli avec motifs à suivre.
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 38-17-CA NEW BRUNSWICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE APPELLANT NEW BRUNSWICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE APPELANT - and - - et - DARYL BARTON RESPONDENT DARYL BARTON INTIMÉ New Brunswick Community College v. Barton, 2017 NBCA 57 New Brunswick Community College c.
Barton, 2017 NBCA 57 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Drapeau l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: March 31, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 31 mars 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2017 NBQB 58 Décision frappée d’appel : 2017 NBBR 58 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard and judgment rendered: October 24, 2017 Appel entendu et jugement rendu : le 24 octobre 2017 Reasons delivered: February 22, 2018 Motifs déposés : le 22 février 2018
Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Clarence L. Bennett Daryl Barton appeared in person Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Clarence L. Bennett Daryl Barton a comparu en personne THE COURT On October 24, 2017, the Court allowed the appeal with reasons to follow. Those reasons are set out in the accompanying text. In sum, the appellant, New Brunswick Community College, is protected against suit in tort by the doctrine of Crown immunity, and the underlying action against it does not fall within one of the exceptions provided under the Proceedings Against the Crown Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P-18.
LA COUR Le 24 octobre 2017, la Cour a accueilli l’appel et indiqué que des motifs suivraient. Ils sont exposés dans le prononcé en annexe. En somme, la doctrine de l’immunité de la Couronne protège l’appelant, New Brunswick Community College, contre les poursuites en responsabilité délictuelle, et l’action qui a été intentée contre lui ne relève d’aucune des exceptions de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-18. The following are the reasons for judgment delivered by THE COURT I. Introduction and
summary [1] Crown immunity from suit joined the juridical doctrinal landscape in relatively short order after monarchs began occupying the English throne. Before legislative reform, the immunity was near absolute: the monarch could do no wrong except in contractual and proprietary matters: Canada (Attorney General) v. Thouin , 2017 SCC 46 , [2017] S.C.J. No. 46 (QL) , para. 16 . [ 2 ] In its modern rendition, the doctrine is subject to numerous exceptions prescribed by legislation at the federal level and, in varying breadths, in all provincial jurisdictions.
The Proceedings Against the Crown Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P-18 (“ PACA ”) defines the “Crown” as including a number of governmental entities, including the appellant, New Brunswick Community College (“NBCC”). One of the exceptions carved out of the immunity by the PACA lies at the heart of the debate in the present case: under s. 4(1)( d ), the Crown is “subject to all liabilities in tort to which, if it were a person of full age and capacity, it would be subject [...] under any enactment, or under any regulation made under the authority of any enactment”.
As will be seen, the key word is “enactment”. [ 3 ] The respondent, Darryl Barton, while a student of the NBCC Correspondence Service wished to challenge what he considered were unfairly low test marks. NBCC’s Policy 1115 creates a process to deal with any such challenge. In the underlying action, Mr. Barton alleged NBCC and one of its employees, Aniko Szabo-Sloane, breached and/or failed to comply with Policy 1115, and sought damages for the loss of income he contends is traceable to that fault. NBCC and Ms.
Szabo-Sloane denied any wrongdoing and pleaded Crown immunity as a complete answer to the action. [ 4 ] On the defendants’ motion for dismissal of the action on immunity grounds, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench sided with Ms. Szabo-Sloane, on the basis of the immunity from suit provided to NBCC employees by s. 16 of the New Brunswick Community Colleges Act , S.N.B. 2010, c. N-4.05, but allowed the action to proceed against NBCC with respect to
the allegation it breached and/or failed to comply with Policy 1115: Barton v. Szabo-Sloane and New Brunswick Community College , 2017 NBQB 58 . The judge ruled against NBCC on that issue because, in his view, Policy 1115 is an “enactment” within the meaning of the exception prescribed by s. 4(1)( d ). [ 5 ] NBCC appeals, contending the motion judge’s
interpretation of s. 4(1)(
d) is unsustainable. In its submission, a policy is simply not an “enactment”. Mr. Barton concedes the point, but submits, in a Notice of Contention, that the decision under appeal should be confirmed on the grounds that the immunity-granting statutory provisions are unconstitutional to the extent they preclude his action. Specifically, Mr.
Barton contends ss. 4(1) and 4(8) of the PACA and s. 16 of the New Brunswick Community Colleges Act violate s. 7 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms “by immoderately compromising the security of [his] person in a manner lacking accordance with fundamental justice by being over broad”. [ 6 ] On October 24, 2017, we allowed the appeal, with reasons to follow. Our reasons, in thumbnail form, are quite simply that, applying settled principles of statutory
interpretation, the term “enactment” in s. 4(1)(
d) does not encompass Policy 1115. Moreover, we decline to entertain Mr. Barton’s constitutional challenge since the issue: (1) is not pleaded; (2) was not raised at first instance; and (3) notice has not been given to the Attorneys General for Canada and New Brunswick as required under s. 22(3) ( a )(
i) of the Judicature Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2. II. Context [ 7 ] NBCC is a public post-secondary institution and Crown corporation incorporated under the laws of New Brunswick. It offers more than 90 programs in six locations in the Province. [ 8 ] Aniko Szabo-Sloane has been employed by NBCC in various capacities since 1978. She was the head of the Department of Health and Continuing Education from 1998 until it was restructured in 2016 at which time she became the head of the Department of Health, Social Sciences and Academic. [ 9 ] In March 2013, Mr.
Barton enrolled as a student in the NBCC’s Correspondence Service in Moncton, New Brunswick. He hoped to complete four high school level correspondence courses by late October 2013 and obtain sufficiently high marks to gain admission to the NBCC Saint John Power Engineering Technology Program (“Program”) for 2014. At the time of his enrollment in the Correspondence Service, Mr. Barton understood a realistic chance of admission to the Program hinged on achieving a four-course average mark of over 87 percent and submitting an application by November 1, 2013. [ 10 ] In his Statement of Claim, Mr.
Barton alleges he repeatedly made NBCC staff aware of these hurdles and of his need to “minimize unfair test mark deductions”. He also alleges academic assessments of course tests were unfairly low. As a result, Mr. Barton “requested several reviews of disputed assessments between June 2013 and October 2013”. [ 11 ] Mr. Barton’s complaint against NBCC and Ms.
Szabo-Sloane is fleshed out in the following excerpts from his Statement of Claim: 8 Ms Sloane, as Correspondence Department Head, failed to ensure that reviews of the academic assessments disputed by Barton were done in compliance with the applicable NBCC policy, Policy 1115 (Student Assessment And Appeal), and otherwise in accordance with reasonably expected standards of minimum competence, as expressed by Policy 1115’s stated commitment to use student assessment and appeal practices that ensure equitable, fair, and consistent evaluation of student academic performance. 9 Both Correspondence generally and Ms Sloane specifically failed to inform Barton that Policy 1115 existed and applied to Correspondence. 10 Barton’s attempts in August 2013 and September 2013 to register for and obtain course materials for Correspondence courses were hindered by Ms Sloane due to her incorrect beliefs regarding course prerequisites and her persistent disinclination to use reasonable discretion in making decisions affecting Barton.
11 Ms Sloane’s negligent practices regarding academic assessment appeals and negligent misrepresentations regarding course prerequisites hindered Barton’s ability to achieve fair assessments and to expeditiously complete the courses, both of which outcomes were necessary for gaining admission to the 2014 Program. 12 Barton’s inability to receive fair academic assessments in a timely manner, and inability to register for and receive course materials in a timely manner, resulted in a loss to Barton of up to 63 calendar days of available work time on coursework. 13 The substantial if not extreme loss to Barton of available time to complete the four courses before the November Program application deadline prevented him from: (
a) gaining admission to the 2014 Program via a 2013 application; (
b) completing the Program in 2016; (
c) earning income in a Program-related occupation from late June 2016 to late June 2017. 14 Given that subsequent to November 2013 Barton completed the four courses, obtained a four-course average mark of 88.75 and was admitted to the 2015 Program, it is extremely probable that, had Barton’s academic progress not been hindered by the negligent acts of Ms Sloane, he would have been admitted in 2013 to the 2014 Program. 15 Had Barton started the Program in 2014, it is extremely probable that he would have completed the two-year Program in 2016. 16 Had Barton completed the Program in 2016, it is extremely probable that he would have been employed in a Program-related occupation for the twelve months immediately following Program completion and that he would have had employment income between $50,000 and $55,000 during that period. 17 Barton, unable to obtain admission to the 2014 Program, was available to obtain employment income during the one-year period in 2014-2015 corresponding to the one-year period in 2016-2017 immediately following Program completion in which, absent the heretofore alleged defendant negligence, he would have had the opportunity for earnings from Program-related employment. 18 Barton’s employment earnings for the 2014-2015 period that corresponds to the period from June 2016 to June 2017 during which, absent defendant negligence , he would have had the opportunity for Program-related employment income was $10,287.28. 19 Furthermore, due to the negligent acts of Ms Sloane and, however directly or vicariously, of her employer, NBCC, Barton’s ongoing prospects of career advancement as a power engineer and the income opportunities associated therewith have been perpetually reduced by the one year delay in his prospective entry to that occupation. 20 In New Brunswick’s Proceedings Against The Crown Act , RSNB 1973, c P-18,
section 3(
c) stipulates that the Crown is subject to tort liability.
Section 1 identifies NBCC as a Crown corporation and defines a Crown “officer” as including both a Minister and a public servant. 21 Barton seeks relief, in addition to interest and costs, from one or both defendants as determined by the Court, for the lost income opportunity caused by negligence of an amount of not less than between $39,712.72 and $44,712.72. [ 12 ] Mr. Barton failed two courses during the 2015 fall term, thereby delaying completion of the Program.
As a result, his Statement of Claim was amended to add the following: 22 Subsequent to filing the original plaintiff pleading, Barton, while attending the Program in 2015-2016, failed two courses during the 2015 fall term, which will delay his prospective Program completion and thus availability for fulltime employment by a year, until 2018. 23 Although the resultant delay in Barton’s prospective fulltime earnings as a power engineer does not affect the period of lost income opportunity due to alleged negligence, the delay in Program completion does undermine the accuracy of Barton’s contentions that it was extremely probable he would complete the Program within the normal two year timeframe (para 15) and promptly thereafter
obtain Program-related employment (para 16). 24 The course failures and Program completion delay ostensibly affect the reliability of Barton’s original and continued contention that it is extremely probable that he will complete the Program and promptly thereafter obtain fulltime Program-related employment. 25 Barton contends that his course failures were due primarily to discriminatory or otherwise negligent acts by NBCC and/or NBCC Saint John academic staff, and so he filed a complaint with the New Brunswick Human Rights Commission on September 12, 2016 to establish that the Program completion delay is unrelated to his ability to complete the Program and thereafter obtain Program-related employment. [Underlining in original removed.] [ 13 ] In their Amended Statement of Defence, Ms.
Szabo-Sloane and NBCC deny any wrongdoing and, in addition, submit Mr. Barton’s action against her is barred by s. 16 of the New Brunswick Community Colleges Act and s. 4(8) of the PACA and the action against NBCC by the combined operation of ss. 4(1) (
d) and 21 of the PACA . [ 14 ]
Section 16 of the New Brunswick Community Colleges Act provides: 16 No action lies for damages or otherwise against a board member or an employee of a corporation in relation to anything done or purported to be done in good faith, or in relation to anything omitted in good faith, by the person while acting under the authority of this or any other Act or regulation. 16 Les membres du conseil et les employés d’une société bénéficient de l’immunité au
titre des actes accomplis ou censés avoir été accomplis de bonne foi ou des actes omis de bonne foi dans l’exercice des fonctions que leur confère la présente loi ou toute autre loi ou règlement. [ 15 ] Sections 4(1) , 4(8) and 21 of the PACA read as follows:
(1) Subject to this Act, the Crown is subject to all liabilities in tort to which, if it were a person of full age and capacity, it would be subject, (
a) in respect of a tort to real or personal property, or causing bodily injury, committed by an officer or agent; (
b) in respect of a breach of a duty that a person owes to his servant or agent by reason of being his employer; (
c) in respect of a breach of a duty attaching to ownership, occupation, possession or control of property; (
d) under any enactment, or under any regulation made under authority of any enactment. […] 4
(8) Notwithstanding any provision of this or any other Act, no proceedings lie directly against an officer or agent of the Crown, in the name of the officer or agent or in the name of his or her office, in respect of anything done or omitted to be done by the officer or agent in the course of the performance or purported performance of his or her duties. […] 21 No proceedings may be brought against the Crown except as provided by this Act. 4
(1) Sous réserve des dispositions particulières de la présente loi, la Couronne encourt la même responsabilité délictuelle qu’elle devrait assumer, si elle était une personne majeure et capable,
a) à raison d’un délit civil portant atteinte à des biens réels ou personnels ou causant des dommages corporels et commis par un fonctionnaire ou un représentant;
b) à raison d’un manquement à une obligation dont une personne est tenue envers son préposé ou représentant du fait qu’elle est son employeur;
c) à raison d’un manquement à une obligation afférente à la propriété, l’occupation, la possession ou la garde d’un bien;
d) en vertu d’un texte législatif ou d’un règlement d’application d’un texte législatif. […] 4
(8) Nonobstant toute disposition de la présente loi ou de toute autre loi, il ne peut être engagé directement de procédures contre un fonctionnaire ou un représentant de la Couronne, en son nom ou au nom de son bureau, relativement à tout acte ou toute omission qu’il a fait dans l’exercice réel ou présumé de ses fonctions. […] 21 Il ne peut être engagé de procédures contre la Couronne que dans les cas prévus par la présente loi. [ 16 ] After the close of pleadings, Ms. Szabo-Sloane and NBCC applied for the dismissal of the action should the following questions be determined in their favour pursuant to Rule 23.01(1)(
a) of the Rules of Court : (
a) are any or all of the Plaintiff’s claims against the Defendants precluded by sections 4 and 21 of the Proceedings Against the Crown Act […]; and (
b) are any or all of the Plaintiff’s claims against the Defendant Aniko Szabo-Sloane precluded by Section 4(8) of PACA and
Section 16
of the New Brunswick Community Colleges Act […]; They also sought an order striking the Amended Statement of Claim pursuant to Rule 23.01(1)(
b) for failure to disclose a reasonable cause of action and a further order dismissing the action on that basis. [ 17 ] In the Notice of Motion, Ms. Szabo-Sloane and NBCC claimed immunity under the PACA on these grounds: The Amended Statement of Claim alleges that the Defendants are liable to the Plaintiff in the tort of negligence (the “alleged claims”). The alleged claims do not fall within the categories of tort enumerated at subsection 4(1) of the PACA or otherwise and, as a result, are precluded from proceeding against the Province pursuant to
section 21 of the PACA and the Crown’s common law immunity from suit. The alleged claims against the Defendant, Aniko Szabo-Sloane, relate to things done in the performance or the purported performance of her duties as a servant of the Crown and, as a result, are statute-barred by subsection 4(8) of the PACA . [ 18 ] The Notice of Motion also invoked the immunity for NBCC employees articulated by s. 16 of the New Brunswick Community Colleges Act : The alleged claims against the Defendant Sloane relate to things done or purported to be done in good faith, or omitted to be done in good faith, while acting under the authority of the NBCC Act and, as a result, are statute barred by
section 16 of the NBCC Act . [ 19 ] The motion judge struck the Amended Statement of Claim “to the extent it names Ms. Szabo- Sloane as a defendant in her personal capacity” and dismissed the action against her (para. 10). The judge granted that relief on the following grounds: It is also clear in New Brunswick that anything done by an employee of NBCC in good faith in the course of their employment does not give rise to a cause of action against them personally – see Section 4(8) of the PACA and
Section 16 of the NBCC Act . The Statement of Claim makes no suggestion that Ms. Szabo-Sloane acted outside the scope of her employment or in bad faith, and Mr. Barton acknowledged this during oral argument. Mr. Barton further accepted, in the course of oral submissions that all acts or omissions of Ms. Szabo-Sloane occurred in the course of her employment with NBCC. [para. 9] It should be noted, if only for the sake of completeness, that there is no appeal from the dismissal of the action against Ms.
Szabo- Sloane. [ 20 ] At any rate, the motion judge then turned his focus to potential liability on the part of NBCC for claims tethered to negligent misrepresentations. Applying Lévesque and BMG Farming Ltd. v. Province of New Brunswick and New Brunswick Crop Insurance Commission , 2011 NBCA 48 , 372 N.B.R. (2d) 202 , the judge dismissed those claims on the basis of Crown immunity.
However, he rejected the relief sought by NBCC with respect to the claims for any loss of income causally connected to the alleged breach of and/or failure to comply with Policy 1115. [ 21 ] As mentioned, the motion judge allowed that component of the suit to continue because, on his
interpretation of s. 4(1)( d ), Policy 1115 was an “enactment”. The judge came to that conclusion by giving “a wide and liberal construction […] calculated to advance the right of the subject by giving him [or her] an extended remedy” (para. 19). The quoted statement is drawn from Lévesque at paragraph 37. We hasten to point out, however, the statement is obiter dicta and, in any event, may not be reconcilable with the since-released Supreme Court of Canada decision in Thouin .
In any event, and importantly, the Court in Lévesque underscored “terminological elasticity has a snapping point” and “there cannot be an action in tort against the Crown unless it is authorized by statute” (see paras. 37 and 39).
[ 22 ] The motion judge described the kernel of the allegations in the Amended Statement of Claim against NBCC as follows: (1) it failed to review Mr. Barton’s disputed academic assessments in accordance with Policy 1115; and (2) it failed to bring Policy 1115 to his attention. [ 23 ] The judge described Policy 1115 in these terms: Policy 1115 is one of a number of policies established by NBCC to govern its operation, administration and dealings with students.
It sets out the process to be followed by NBCC in dealing with students relative to academic performance and behavioral issues, as well as the appeal process to be followed by students “who have grounds for believing themselves unjustly treated within NBCC” […] [para. 12] [ 24 ] The motion judge then went on to find Policy 1115 was adopted pursuant to s. 20 of the NBCC Act .
Section 20 reads as follows: Programs of study 20
(1) A program of study of a corporation shall be consistent with the objects and purposes of that corporation. 20
(2) Each corporation shall establish guidelines for the following activities with respect to programs of study: (
a) their evaluation; (
b) their establishment; (
c) their expansion; (
d) their suspension; and (
e) their transfer. 20
(3) Each corporation shall evaluate, establish, expand, suspend or transfer a program of study in accordance with guidelines approved under
section 19. Programmes d’études 20
(1) Les programmes d’études de la société sont compatibles avec sa mission. 20
(2) Chaque société établit des lignes directrices visant les activités ci-dessous concernant les programmes d’études :
a) leur évaluation;
b) leur mise sur pied;
c) leur développement;
d) leur suspension;
e) leur transfert. 20
(3) Chaque société évalue, met sur pied, développe, suspend ou transfère un programme d’études conformément aux lignes directrices approuvées en vertu de l’article 19. [ 25 ] Since Policy 1115 was captured by s. 20, it was, in the motion judge’s view, a policy the NBCC “was statutorily directed to establish” (para. 13).
The judge framed the issue for determination as follows: “the question before us is whether a failure on the part of a Crown-entity, to comply with a policy it was statutorily directed to establish, can support a cause of action grounded in tort which will survive the limitations of application under the PACA ” (para. 13). As indicated, the judge answered that question in the affirmative. [ 26 ] On appeal, Mr. Barton agrees the motion judge’s
interpretation of s. 4(1)(
d) cannot withstand
scrutiny and is unsustainable. We are of that view, as well, and will make observations, albeit brief, on point. Those observations arenecessary since Mr. Barton’s concession pertains to a question of law, which, unlike admissions of fact, are not binding on the Court. [27] Nevertheless, Mr. Barton does not concede defeat. Rather, he seeks to recast the appeal, and theproceedings in the court below, as a constitutional challenge to the Crown’s immunity from suit. There is no plea of unconstitutionality inthe Amended Statement of Claim. Moreover, the issue was not raised in the debates in the court below. Finally, and most critically, s.22(3)(a)(
i) of the Judicature Act requires notice be given to the provincial and federal attorneys general in any case where “a questionarises as to whether a statute or provision of any statute of the Legislature is constitutionally valid or operative”. The notice required by s.22(3)(a)(
i) was not given and that failure is fatal to adjudication of the constitutional complaint (see Saunders v. MacMichael (1996), (NB CA), 173 N.B.R. (2d) 49, [1996] N.B.J. No. 39 (C.A.) (QL) and Sokolowski v. College of Physicians andSurgeons of New Brunswick, 2001 NBCA 10, 237 N.B.R. (2d) 1, per Larlee J.A. for the Court. That being so, we lack jurisdiction toentertain Mr. Barton’s constitutional challenge, and will say no more on point. IV. Analysis and Decision [28]
Section 21 of the PACA is pellucid: “No proceedings may be brought against the Crown exceptas provided by this Act”. Moreover, under s. 32 of the
Interpretation Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-13, no legislation “impairs or adverselyaffects the rights of the Crown unless it is expressly stated therein that the Crown is bound thereby”. That provision is perhaps even moreemphatic in shielding the Crown than s. 17 of the
Interpretation Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. I-21, which was in play in Thouin. In that case, theSupreme Court of Canada gave clear directions regarding the
interpretation of legislative provisions relied on to atrophy Crownimmunity: […] there is a presumption that the common law remains unchanged absent a clear and unequivocal expression of legislative intent. InLizotte v. Aviva Insurance Company of Canada, 2016 SCC 52, [2016] 2 S.C.R. 521, this Court summarized the case law on this pointand noted “that it must be presumed that a legislature does not intend to change existing common law rules in the absence of a clearprovision to that effect” (para. 56; see also Parry Sound (District) Social Services Administration Board v.
O.P.S.E.U., Local 324, 2003SCC 42, [2003] 2 S.C.R. 157, at para. 39; Slaight Communications Inc. v. Davidson, (SCC), [1989] 1 S.C.R. 1038, at p.1077; and R. Sullivan, Sullivan on the Construction of Statutes (6th ed. 2014), at pp. 504-5). In this regard, s. 17 of the
Interpretation Act now serves as a starting point in each case in which the Crown might have immunity. Itreads as follows: “No enactment is binding on Her Majesty or affects Her Majesty or Her Majesty’s rights or prerogatives in any manner,except as mentioned or referred to in the enactment.” In short, unless the immunity is clearly lifted, the Crown continues to have it. InFriends of the Oldman River Society v. Canada (Minister of Transport), (SCC), [1992] 1 S.C.R. 3, the Courtrecognized that s. 17 is indeed the starting point for the analysis regarding immunity and that, as a result, where there are no expresswords in
an Act to the effect that the Act applies to the Crown, “it ... remains to be decided whether the Crown is bound by necessaryimplication” (p. 50). In the past, language similar to the words “except as mentioned or referred to” in s. 17 had been used in s. 16 of the
Interpretation Act,R.S.C. 1970, c. I-23, which provided that no enactment could bind the Crown, “except only as therein mentioned or referred to”. InOldman River and in Alberta Government Telephones v. Canada (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission), (SCC), [1989] 2 S.C.R. 225, the Court interpreted this wording and concluded that a legislature must use expresslanguage to lift Crown immunity unless it can be inferred that the purpose of the Act would be wholly frustrated if the Crown were notbound (see also H. Brun, G. Tremblay and E. Brouillet, Droit constitutionnel (6th ed. 2014), at para.
IX. 90). [paras. 19-21] [Emphasis added.] We are duty-bound to follow those directions. [29] Because of its centrality to the litigation, s. 4(1) of the PACA bears repeating:
(1) Subject to this Act, the Crown is subject to all liabilities in tort to which, if it were a person of full age and capacity, it would be subject, (
a) in respect of a tort to real or personal property, or causing bodily injury, committed by an officer or agent; (
b) in respect of a breach of a duty that a person owes to his servant or agent by reason of being his employer; (
c) in respect of a breach of a duty attaching to ownership, occupation, possession or control of property; (
d) under any enactment, or under any regulation made under authority of any enactment. 4
(1) Sous réserve des dispositions particulières de la présente loi, la Couronne encourt la même responsabilité délictuelle qu’elle devrait assumer, si elle était une personne majeure et capable,
a) à raison d’un délit civil portant atteinte à des biens réels ou personnels ou causant des dommages corporels et commis par un fonctionnaire ou un représentant;
b) à raison d’un manquement à une obligation dont une personne est tenue envers son préposé ou représentant du fait qu’elle est son employeur;
c) à raison d’un manquement à une obligation afférente à la propriété, l’occupation, la possession ou la garde d’un bien;
d) en vertu d’un texte législatif ou d’un règlement d’application d’un texte législatif. [ 30 ] In these proceedings, we are not concerned with an action in tort for bodily injury, but an action in tort for pure economic loss arising from breach of and/or failure to comply with Policy 1115. The former action (in tort for bodily injury) is allowed under s. 4(1) ( a ), but not the latter, which also falls outside ss. 4(1) (
b) and ( c ). Stripped to its core, the issue is whether the exception to Crown immunity created by s. 4(1) (
d) covers the underlying action. [ 31 ]
Section 20 is the only provision of the New Brunswick Community Colleges Act put forward as subjecting NBCC to liability in tort for the negligence alleged in the Amended Statement of Claim.
Section 20 bears reproduction, if only for ease of reference:
Programs of study 20
(1) A program of study of a corporation shall be consistent with the objects and purposes of that corporation. 20
(2) Each corporation shall establish guidelines for the following activities with respect to programs of study: (
a) their evaluation; (
b) their establishment; (
c) their expansion; (
d) their suspension; and (
e) their transfer. 20
(3) Each corporation shall evaluate, establish, expand, suspend or transfer a program of study in accordance with guidelines approved under
section 19. Programmes d’études 20
(1) Les programmes d’études de la société sont compatibles avec sa mission. 20
(2) Chaque société établit des lignes directrices visant les activités ci-dessous concernant les programmes d’études :
a) leur évaluation;
b) leur mise sur pied;
c) leur développement;
d) leur suspension;
e) leur transfert. 20
(3) Chaque société évalue, met sur pied, développe, suspend ou transfère un programme d’études conformément aux lignes directrices approuvées en vertu de l’article 19. [ 32 ]
Section 20 is not remotely concerned with policies such as Policy 1115. That Policy provides a framework for the resolution of student appeals from test marks. The “guidelines” that NBCC is obligated to establish under s. 20(2) pertain to the evaluation of Programs of study , not student test marks. It follows that, while NBCC undoubtedly had the authority to adopt Policy 1115, it was not statutorily required to do so. Thus, assuming, without deciding, that the term “enactment” in s. 4(1) (
d) is broad enough to include a policy whose adoption is statutorily required, Policy 1115 does not qualify. [ 33 ] In addition to the issue of whether the term “enactment” in s. 4(1) (
d) is broad enough to include a statutorily mandated policy, we leave to another day the question of whether, absent enabling legislation, vicarious liability can be imposed upon a principal for an agent’s conduct that is subject to statutory immunity from civil suit for damages, as is the case for the conduct of Ms. Szabo-Sloane by virtue of s. 16 of the New Brunswick Community Colleges Act . V. Conclusion and Disposition [ 34 ] Policy 1115 is not an “enactment” within the meaning of s. 4(1) (
d) of the Proceedings Against the Crown Act . It follows that the respondent’s action for loss of income allegedly flowing from NBCC’s unproven breach and/or failure to comply with Policy 1115 is not captured by that statutory exception to Crown immunity. The motion judge committed reversible error in concluding otherwise and in not fully allowing NBCC’s motion for judgment dismissing the action, whether steeped in Rule 23.01(1)(
a) or Rule 23.01(1)(b). It is for this reason that we allowed the appeal on October 24, 2017.
[ 35 ] Accessorily, we set aside the decision under appeal and grant judgment dismissing the action. [ 36 ] In all but the rarest cases, costs follow the event: a suitable award of costs should be made in favor of the successful party. Given the outcome of these proceedings, NBCC is entitled to costs throughout, which we fix at the admittedly modest sum of $1,500. Version française des motifs rendus par LA COUR I. Introduction et résumé [1] L’immunité de poursuites de la Couronne est entrée dans le paysage doctrinal judiciaire relativement tôt après l’avènement de la monarchie anglaise.
Avant la réforme législative, l’immunité était quasi absolue : le monarque ne pouvait avoir aucun tort, sauf en matière de contrat et de droit de propriété ( Canada (Procureur général) c. Thouin , 2017 CSC 46 , [2017] A.C.S. n o 46 (QL) , par. 16 ). [2] Dans sa forme moderne, cette doctrine admet maintes exceptions que prescrit la législation fédérale et que prescrivent, en leur conférant une portée diverse, les législations de toutes les provinces. La disposition définitoire de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-18, indique que « Couronne » s’entend d’un certain nombre d’entités gouvernementales, dont l’appelant, New Brunswick Community College (« NBCC »). L’une des exceptions à l’immunité de la Couronne établies par la Loi est au cœur du débat en l’espèce : aux termes de l’al. 4(1) d ), la Couronne « encourt la même responsabilité délictuelle qu’elle devrait assumer, si elle était une personne majeure et capable, [...] en vertu d’un texte législatif ou d’un règlement d’application d’un texte législatif ».
Nous verrons que « texte législatif » est ici le terme décisif. [3] Alors étudiant au service de formation par correspondance du NBCC, l’intimé, Darryl Barton a souhaité contester des résultats d’examens qu’il estimait injustes. La politique 1115 du NBCC instaure une procédure pour le traitement de ces contestations. M. Barton a poursuivi le NBCC et l’une de ses employées, Aniko Szabo-Sloane, pour violation ou inobservation de la politique 1115 et réclamé des dommages-intérêts en réparation de la perte de revenus attribuable, affirmait-il, à cette faute.
Le NBCC et M me Szabo-Sloane ont nié tout acte fautif et plaidé, pour défense absolue, l’immunité de la Couronne. [4] Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, saisi de la motion des défendeurs sollicitant le rejet de l’action au motif d’immunité, a donné raison à M me Szabo-Sloane sur le fondement de l’immunité de poursuites conférée aux employés du NBCC par l’ art. 16 de la
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau-Brunswick , L.N.-B. 2010, ch. N-4.05 , mais permis que l’action suive son cours, contre le NBCC, pour violation ou inobservation de la politique 1115 ( Barton c. Szabo-Sloane et New Brunswick Community College , 2017 NBBR 58 ). Le juge a tranché contre le NBCC parce qu’il estimait que la politique 1115 était un « texte législatif », au sens de l’exception prévue à l’al. 4(1) d ). [5] Le NBCC en appelle et avance que le juge saisi de la motion a donné de l’al. 4(1)
d) une interprétation insoutenable. Il fait valoir qu’une politique n’est tout simplement pas un « texte législatif ». M. Barton le concède, mais affirme, dans un avis de désaccord, que la décision portée en appel devrait être confirmée pour le motif que les dispositions législatives conférant l’immunité sont inconstitutionnelles dans la mesure où elles font obstacle à sa poursuite. Plus précisément, M. Barton soutient que les par. 4(1) et 4(8) de cette loi et l’ art. 16 de la
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau-Brunswick violent l’ art. 7 de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés [TRADUCTION] « en compromettant immodérément la sécurité de [sa] personne, d’une manière non conforme à la justice fondamentale, du fait de leur portée excessive ».
[6] Le 24 octobre 2017, nous avons accueilli l’appel et indiqué que des motifs suivraient. Nos motifs, en abrégé, sont tout simplement que, par application des principes établis de l’interprétation des lois, « texte législatif », terme employé à l’al. 4(1) d ), ne comprend pas la politique 1115. Par ailleurs, nous refusons d’entendre la contestation constitutionnelle élevée par M. Barton, étant donné que : (1) la question n’est pas plaidée; (2) la question n’a pas été soulevée en première instance; (3) les procureurs généraux du Canada et du Nouveau-Brunswick n’ont pas été avisés, comme l’exige le ss-al. 22(3) a )(
i) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J-2. II. Contexte [7] Le NBCC est un établissement postsecondaire public et une corporation de la Couronne constituée sous le régime des lois du Nouveau-Brunswick. Il offre plus de quatre-vingt-dix programmes dans six collectivités de la province. [8] Employée du NBCC depuis 1978, Aniko Szabo-Sloane y a occupé divers postes.
Chef du département des sciences de la santé et de la formation continue en 1998, elle l’est demeurée jusqu’à sa restructuration, en 2016, pour passer chef du département des sciences de la santé, des sciences sociales et de la récupération scolaire. [9] En mars 2013, M. Barton s’est inscrit à la formation par correspondance du NBCC à Moncton, au Nouveau-Brunswick.
Il espérait achever, avant la fin d’octobre 2013, quatre cours par correspondance de niveau secondaire et obtenir des notes suffisamment fortes pour être admis au programme de mécanique de machines fixes offert par le NBCC Saint John (« programme ») et y débuter en 2014. Lorsqu’il s’est inscrit, M. Barton savait que, pour avoir des chances réelles d’être admis au programme, il lui faudrait réussir aux quatre cours avec une note moyenne de plus de 87 sur 100 et présenter une demande le 1 er novembre 2013 au plus tard. [10] Dans son exposé de la demande, M.
Barton avance qu’à maintes reprises il a fait part au personnel du NBCC de ces difficultés et de la nécessité dans laquelle il se trouvait de [ TRADUCTION ] « réduire le plus possible les points injustement enlevés ». Il affirme aussi avoir reçu, aux épreuves, des évaluations scolaires injustes. M. Barton a donc [TRADUCTION] « demandé plusieurs fois, entre juin 2013 et octobre 2013, la révision d’évaluations contestées ». [11] Les extraits ci-dessous de l’exposé de la demande de M.
Barton détaillent sa plainte contre le NBCC et contre M me Szabo-Sloane : [ TRADUCTION ] 8 M me Sloane, chef du département de la formation par correspondance, n’a pas vu à ce que la révision des évaluations scolaires contestées par M.
Barton se fasse conformément à la politique applicable du NBCC, sa politique 1115 [TRADUCTION] (Évaluation de l’étudiant et appel), et conformément par ailleurs aux normes de compétence minimum dont il était raisonnable de s’attendre qu’elles soient respectées, comme le veut l’engagement, énoncé par la politique 1115, d’adopter des pratiques d’évaluation de l’étudiant et des procédures d’appel qui garantiront une évaluation juste, équitable et cohérente du rendement scolaire. 9 Ni le service de formation par correspondance, à
titre collectif, ni M me Sloane, à
titre particulier, n’ont informé M. Barton de l’existence de la politique 1115 et de son applicabilité au service. 10 Les démarches que M. Barton a entreprises en août et en septembre 2013 en vue de s’inscrire à des cours par correspondance et d’obtenir le matériel de ces cours ont été entravées par M me Sloane, qui s’est méprise sur les cours préalables exigés et qui s’est montrée sans cesse réticente à user d’une autorité discrétionnaire raisonnable dans la prise de décisions touchant M.
Barton. 11 Les pratiques négligentes de M me Sloane, en ce qui concerne les appels interjetés d’évaluations scolaires, ainsi que ses assertions négligentes et inexactes quant aux cours préalables, ont nui à l’obtention d’évaluations justes et à l’achèvement rapide des cours par M. Barton, alors que l’une comme l’autre étaient nécessaires à une admission au programme qui lui permettrait de débuter en 2014. 12 Parce que M. Barton n’a pu obtenir d’évaluations scolaires justes en temps utile, ni s’inscrire aux cours et en recevoir le matériel
en temps utile, il a perdu jusqu’à soixante-trois jours civils de temps de travail qui pouvait être consacré aux travaux des cours. 13 La perte, importante voire immense pour M. Barton, d’une période dont il aurait pu disposer pour achever les quatre cours avant la date limite de présentation d’une demande d’admission au programme, fixée en novembre, l’a empêché :
a) d’accéder au programme en 2014 au moyen d’une demande présentée en 2013,
b) d’achever le programme en 2016,
c) de tirer un revenu, de la fin juin 2016 à la fin juin 2017, d’une occupation en rapport avec le programme. 14 Puisque M. Barton, après novembre 2013, a achevé les quatre cours, reçu une note moyenne de 88,75 et obtenu une admission lui ouvrant l’accès au programme en 2015, il est immensément probable que, si son parcours scolaire n’avait pas été interrompu par les actes de négligence de M me Sloane, il aurait été admis en 2013 à une participation au programme en 2014. 15 Il est immensément probable que M. Barton aurait achevé les deux années du programme en 2016 s’il avait débuté en 2014. 16 Si M.
Barton avait achevé le programme en 2016, il est immensément probable que, pendant les douze mois qui en ont immédiatement suivi l’achèvement, il aurait occupé un emploi en rapport avec le programme et aurait eu un revenu d’emploi de 50 000 $ à 55 000 $. 17 Incapable de débuter dans le programme en 2014, M. Barton s’est trouvé libre de gagner un revenu d’emploi au cours de la période d’un an (2014-2015) correspondant à la période d’un an (2016-2017) immédiatement postérieure à l’achèvement prévu du programme où il aurait eu la possibilité, n’eût été la négligence imputée à la
partie défenderesse, de tirer des gains d’un emploi en rapport avec le programme. 18 Les gains de M. Barton venus d’un emploi, de 2014 à 2015, durant la période correspondant à celle de juin 2016 à juin 2017 où il aurait eu la possibilité, n’eût été la négligence de la
partie défenderesse, de tirer un revenu d’un emploi en rapport avec le programme, ont été de 10 287,28 $. 19 De plus, en raison des actes de négligence commis par M me Sloane ou commis, que ce soit directement ou du fait d’autrui, par son employeur, le NBCC, les perspectives d’avancement de M. Barton, en sa qualité de mécanicien de machines fixes, et les possibilités de revenu s’y trouvant associées sont pour toujours réduites du fait du retard d’un an de sa future entrée dans le métier. 20 L’alinéa 3
c) de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-18, assujettit la Couronne à la responsabilité délictuelle. Les définitions de son art. 1 précisent que le NBCC est une corporation de la Couronne et que « fonctionnaire » de la Couronne s’entend tant d’un ministre que d’un préposé. 21 M. Barton demande un dédommagement, de même que des intérêts et des dépens, d’au moins 39 712,72 $ à 44 712,72 $, de l’un des défendeurs ou des deux comme en décidera la Cour, pour la perte de possibilité de gagner un revenu que leur négligence a causée. [12] Deux échecs, à la session d’automne 2015, ont reporté l’achèvement du programme par M. Barton.
Les paragraphes suivants, de ce fait, ont été ajoutés à son exposé de la demande : [ TRADUCTION ] 22 Après le dépôt de sa demande originale, M. Barton, au cours de l’année 2015-2016 du programme, a échoué à deux cours de la session d’automne, ce qui reportera d’un an, donc à 2018, l’achèvement futur du programme et sa disponibilité pour un emploi à plein temps. 23 Ce retard à toucher le revenu futur d’un emploi à plein temps de mécanicien de machines fixes ne change rien à la période où M.
Barton a perdu la possibilité de gagner un revenu du fait de la négligence alléguée, mais son retard à achever le programme compromet l’exactitude de ses affirmations selon lesquelles il était immensément probable qu’il achève le programme au terme des deux années usuelles (par. 15) et qu’il obtienne promptement ensuite un emploi en rapport avec le programme (par. 16). 24 Ses échecs aux cours et son retard à achever le programme rendent, en apparence, moins digne de foi l’affirmation originale de
M. Barton, qui a déclaré et qui maintient qu’il est immensément probable qu’il achève le programme et qu’il obtienne ensuite promptement un emploi à plein temps en rapport avec le programme. 25 M.
Barton estime que ses échecs aux cours sont principalement attribuables à des actes de discrimination, ou sinon de négligence, du personnel enseignant du NBCC Saint John ou du NBCC, et il a saisi la Commission des droits de la personne du Nouveau-Brunswick d’une plainte, le 12 septembre 2016, dans le but de montrer que son retard à achever le programme n’est pas fonction de sa capacité de l’achever et d’obtenir ensuite un emploi en rapport avec le programme. [Les soulignés de l’original ont été supprimés.] [13] Dans leur exposé de la défense modifié, M me Szabo-Sloane et le NBCC, en plus de nier tout acte fautif, soutiennent que l’action intentée à la défenderesse est interdite par l’ art. 16 de la
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau-Brunswick et par le par. 4(8) de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne , et que l’action intentée au défendeur est interdite par l’application conjointe de l’al. 4(1)
d) et de l’art. 21 de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne . [14] L’
article 16 de la
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau-Brunswick prévoit ce qui suit : 16 No action lies for damages or otherwise against a board member or an employee of a corporation in relation to anything done or purported to be done in good faith, or in relation to anything omitted in good faith, by the person while acting under the authority of this or any other Act or regulation. 16 Les membres du conseil et les employés d’une société bénéficient de l’immunité au
titre des actes accomplis ou censés avoir été accomplis de bonne foi ou des actes omis de bonne foi dans l’exercice des fonctions que leur confère la présente loi ou toute autre loi ou règlement. [15] Les paragraphes 4(1) et 4(8) et l’art. 21 de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne sont ceux-ci :
(1) Subject to this Act, the Crown is subject to all liabilities in tort to which, if it were a person of full age and capacity, it would be subject, (
a) in respect of a tort to real or personal property, or causing bodily injury, committed by an officer or agent; (
b) in respect of a breach of a duty that a person owes to his servant or agent by reason of being his employer; (
c) in respect of a breach of a duty attaching to ownership, occupation, possession or control of property; (
d) under any enactment, or under any regulation made under authority of any enactment. […] 4
(8) Notwithstanding any provision of this or any other Act, no proceedings lie directly against an officer or agent of the Crown, in the name of the officer or agent or in the name of his or her office, in respect of anything done or omitted to be done by the officer or agent in the course of the performance or purported performance of his or her duties. […] 21 No proceedings may be brought against the Crown except as provided by this Act. 4
(1) Sous réserve des dispositions particulières de la présente loi, la Couronne encourt la même responsabilité délictuelle qu’elle devrait assumer, si elle était une personne majeure et capable,
a) à raison d’un délit civil portant atteinte à des biens réels ou personnels ou causant des dommages corporels et commis par un fonctionnaire ou un représentant;
b) à raison d’un manquement à une obligation dont une personne est tenue envers son préposé ou représentant du fait qu’elle est son employeur;
c) à raison d’un manquement à une obligation afférente à la propriété, l’occupation, la possession ou la garde d’un bien;
d) en vertu d’un texte législatif ou d’un règlement d’application d’un texte législatif. […] 4
(8) Nonobstant toute disposition de la présente loi ou de toute autre loi, il ne peut être engagé directement de procédures contre un fonctionnaire ou un représentant de la Couronne, en son nom ou au nom de son bureau, relativement à tout acte ou toute omission qu’il a fait dans l’exercice réel ou présumé de ses fonctions. […] 21 Il ne peut être engagé de procédures contre la Couronne que dans les cas prévus par la présente loi. [16] Après la clôture des plaidoiries, M me Szabo-Sloane et le NBCC ont prié la Cour de rejeter l’action si, en application de la règle 23.01(1)
a) des Règles de procédure , les questions ci-dessous étaient tranchées en leur faveur :
a) Les articles 4 et 21 de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne font-ils obstacle à tout ou
partie des demandes que le demandeur a formées contre les défendeurs[?]
b) Le paragraphe 4(8) de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne et l’ art. 16 de la
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau-Brunswick font-ils obstacle à tout ou
partie des demandes que le demandeur a formées contre la défenderesse, Aniko Szabo- Sloane[?]
Ils ont aussi prié la Cour d’ordonner la radiation de l’exposé de la demande modifié en vertu de la règle 23.01(1)b), du fait qu’il ne révélait aucune cause d’action raisonnable, et d’ordonner le rejet de l’action sur ce fondement. [17] Dans l’avis de motion, M me Szabo-Sloane et le NBCC se sont appuyés sur les motifs suivants pour plaider l’immunité sous le régime de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne : [ TRADUCTION ] Les demandes avancées dans l’exposé de la demande modifié imputent aux défendeurs une responsabilité envers le demandeur pour délit de négligence. Les demandes avancées ne ressortissent pas aux catégories de délit définies au par. 4(1) de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne , ou ailleurs. En conséquence, l’art. 21 de la Loi et l’immunité de poursuites dont jouit la Couronne en common law font obstacle à l’introduction de ces procédures contre la Province. Les demandes avancées contre la défenderesse, Aniko Szabo-Sloane, se rapportent à des actes qu’elle a faits dans l’exercice réel ou présumé de ses fonctions de préposée de la Couronne et sont, de ce fait, interdites par le par. 4(8) de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne . [18] L’avis de motion invoquait en outre l’immunité reconnue aux employés du NBCC par l’ art. 16 de la
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau-Brunswick : [ TRADUCTION ] Les demandes avancées contre la défenderesse, Aniko Sloane, le sont au
titre d’actes accomplis ou censés avoir été accomplis de bonne foi, ou d’actes omis de bonne foi, dans l’exercice des fonctions que lui confère la
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau- Brunswick et, de ce fait, sont interdites par l’art. 16 de la Loi . [19] Le juge saisi de la motion a radié l’exposé de la demande modifié « dans la mesure où M me Szabo-Sloane [était] constituée défenderesse à
titre personnel » et rejeté l’action qui lui était intentée (par. 10). Il lui a accordé ces mesures réparatoires pour les motifs suivants : [ TRADUCTION ] Il est également clair, au Nouveau-Brunswick, qu’un acte accompli de bonne foi par un employé du NBCC dans l’exercice de son emploi n’engendre aucune cause d’action contre cet employé à
titre personnel (par. 4(8),
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne , et art. 16 ,
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau-Brunswick ). Il n’est pas prétendu, dans l’exposé de la demande, que M me Szabo-Sloane a agi en dehors du cadre de son emploi ou agi de mauvaise foi, ce que M. Barton a reconnu lors du débat oral. M. Barton a admis en outre, pendant la présentation des observations orales, que les actes ou les omissions de M me Szabo-Sloane se sont tous produits dans l’exercice de son emploi au NBCC. [par. 9] Précisons, ne serait-ce que pour ne rien omettre, qu’il n’est pas interjeté appel du rejet de l’action intentée à M me Szabo-Sloane. [20] Le juge s’est ensuite penché sur la responsabilité éventuelle du NBCC, au
titre des demandes faisant valoir des assertions négligentes et inexactes. Il a appliqué Lévesque et BMG Farming Inc. c. Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et Commission de l’assurance-récolte du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2011 NBCA 48 , 372 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 202 , et rejeté ces demandes sur le fondement de l’immunité de la Couronne.
Il a refusé au NBCC, cependant, la mesure qu’il sollicitait face aux demandes de dédommagement pour toute perte de revenus rattachée par un lien de causalité à une violation ou une inobservation de la politique 1115. [21] Nous avons vu que le juge saisi de la motion a permis le maintien de cet autre volet de l’action, parce que, suivant l’interprétation qu’il donnait de l’al.4(1) d ), la politique 1115 était un « texte législatif ».
Il est arrivé à cette conclusion en donnant de la disposition « une interprétation large et libérale […] conçue pour promouvoir le droit du sujet en lui procurant un recours élargi » (par. 19). La citation provient du par. 37 de Lévesque . Nous nous empressons de faire observer, cependant, que cet énoncé constitue un obiter dictum et que, de toute façon, il pourrait ne pas être conciliable avec la décision rendue depuis, dans l’affaire
Thouin , par la Cour suprême du Canada. Quoi qu’il en soit, et il importe de le rappeler, notre Cour, dans Lévesque , a souligné que « l’élasticité de la terminologie a des limites » et qu’« une action en responsabilité délictuelle ne peut pas être engagée contre la Couronne à moins d’être autorisée par un texte de loi » (par. 37 et 39). [22] Le juge saisi de la motion a indiqué que les allégations de l’exposé de la demande contre le NBCC étaient en substance celles-ci : (1) le NBCC n’avait pas révisé les évaluations scolaires contestées de M.
Barton en conformité avec la politique 1115; (2) il n’avait pas appelé l’attention de M. Barton sur la politique 1115. [23] Le juge a présenté ainsi la politique 1115 : [ TRADUCTION ] La politique 1115 compte parmi un certain nombre de politiques établies par le NBCC qui régissent son fonctionnement, son administration et ses rapports avec les étudiants.
Elle définit la procédure que doit suivre le NBCC lorsqu’il intervient auprès d’étudiants à propos de rendement scolaire et de problèmes de comportement, ainsi que la procédure d’appel que doivent suivre les étudiants [TRADUCTION] « qui ont des motifs de se croire injustement traités au NBCC »[.] [par. 12] [24] Il a ensuite conclu que la politique 1115 avait été adoptée en application de l’ art. 20 de la Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau-Brunswick . L’article 20 est rédigé ainsi : Programs of study 20
(1) A program of study of a corporation shall be consistent with the objects and purposes of that corporation. 20
(2) Each corporation shall establish guidelines for the following activities with respect to programs of study: (
a) their evaluation; (
b) their establishment; (
c) their expansion; (
d) their suspension; and (
e) their transfer. 20
(3) Each corporation shall evaluate, establish, expand, suspend or transfer a program of study in accordance with guidelines approved under
section 19. Programmes d’études 20
(1) Les programmes d’études de la société sont compatibles avec sa mission. 20
(2) Chaque société établit des lignes directrices visant les activités ci-dessous concernant les programmes d’études :
a) leur évaluation;
b) leur mise sur pied;
c) leur développement;
d) leur suspension;
e) leur transfert. 20
(3) Chaque société évalue, met sur pied, développe, suspend ou transfère un programme d’études conformément aux lignes directrices approuvées en vertu de l’article 19. [25] Comme la politique 1115 ressortissait à l’ art. 20 , elle était, de l’avis du juge saisi de la motion,
une politique [TRADUCTION] « qu’une prescription législative […] imposait [au NBCC] d’établir » (par. 13). Le juge a formulé en cestermes la question qui se posait : [TRADUCTION] « La question à trancher, donc, est celle de savoir si l’inobservation par une entité dela Couronne d’une politique qu’une prescription législative lui imposait d’établir peut donner naissance à une cause d’action fondée surla responsabilité délictuelle que les limites d’application de la
Loi sur les poursuites contre la Couronne n’excluront pas » (par. 13).Rappelons qu’il a répondu par l’affirmative. [26] M. Barton convient, en appel, que l’interprétation de l’al. 4(1)
d) donnée par le juge saisi de lamotion ne résiste pas à l’examen et se révèle insoutenable. Nous sommes de cet avis et entendons présenter des observations, quidemeureront brèves toutefois, sur ce point. Ces observations sont nécessaires, puisque la concession de M. Barton touche une questionde droit et que, contrairement à un aveu sur une question de fait, elle ne lie pas la Cour. [27] Néanmoins, M. Barton ne s’avoue pas vaincu. Au contraire, il tente de transmuer l’appel, demême que la procédure de première instance, en une contestation constitutionnelle de l’immunité de poursuites de la Couronne.
Or,l’inconstitutionnalité n’est pas plaidée dans l’exposé de la demande modifié. La question n’a pas été soulevée, non plus, lors du débat enpremière instance. Enfin, considération absolument capitale, le ss-al. 22(3)a)(
i) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire exige que lesprocureurs généraux des gouvernements fédéral et provincial soient avisés dans tous les cas où « la question soulevée est à savoir si uneloi ou une disposition d’une loi de la Législature est constitutionnellement valide ou applicable ». L’avis qu’exige le ss-al.22(3)a)(
i) n’apas été donné, ce qui empêche irrémédiablement de statuer sur le grief constitutionnel (Saunders c. MacMichael (1996), (NB CA), 173 R.N.-B. (2e) 49, [1996] A.N.-B. no 39 (C.A.) (QL), et Sokolowski c. Collège des médecins et chirurgiens du Nouveau-Brunswick, 2001 NBCA 10, 237 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, la juge d’appel Larlee, au nom de la Cour). Cela étant, nous n’avons pascompétence pour entendre la contestation constitutionnelle de M. Barton, et nous ne nous étendrons pas davantage sur ce point. IV. Analyse et décision [28] L’article 21 de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne est limpide : « Il ne peut êtreengagé de procédures contre la Couronne que dans les cas prévus par la présente loi. » De plus, aux termes de l’art. 32 de la Loid’interprétation, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. I-13, aucune loi ni aucun règlement « ne porte atteinte aux droits de la Couronne ni n’a d’effetsdéfavorables sur ceux-ci sauf s’il est expressément stipulé que la Couronne est liée par cette loi ou ce règlement ». Cette dispositionprotège la Couronne peut-être plus catégoriquement encore que l’art. 17 de la Loi d’interprétation, L.R.C. 1985, ch.
I-21, qui entrait enjeu dans Thouin. Dans cet arrêt, la Cour suprême du Canada a donné des directives claires sur la façon d’interpréter les dispositionslégislatives invoquées pour étioler l’immunité de l’État : [I]l existe une présomption voulant que la common law demeure inchangée en l’absence d’une expression de volonté claire et nonéquivoque du législateur. Dans Lizotte c.
Aviva, Cie d’assurance du Canada, 2016 CSC 52, [2016] 2 R.C.S. 521, notre Cour résume lajurisprudence sur ce point et rappelle « que l’on doi[t] présumer qu’un législateur n’a pas l’intention de modifier les règles de commonlaw existantes à moins d’une disposition claire à cet effet » (par. 56; voir aussi Parry Sound (district), Conseil d’administration desservices sociaux c. S.E.E.F.P.O.,
section locale 324, 2003 CSC 42, [2003] 2 R.C.S. 157, par. 39; Slaight Communications Inc. c. Davidson, (SCC), [1989] 1 R.C.S. 1038, p. 1077; et R. Sullivan, Sullivan on the Construction of Statutes (6e éd. 2014),p. 504-505). À ce chapitre, l’art. 17 de la Loi d’interprétation sert aujourd’hui de point de départ dans chaque cas où une immunité pourrait exister enfaveur de l’État. Il édicte ceci : « Sauf indication contraire y figurant, nul texte ne lie Sa Majesté ni n’a d’effet sur ses droits etprérogatives ». Bref, sans dérogation claire à l’immunité, l’État en jouit toujours.
Dans Friends of the Oldman River Society c. Canada(Ministre des Transports), (SCC), [1992] 1 R.C.S. 3, la Cour reconnaît que le point de départ de l’analyse en matièred’immunité est bel et bien cet art. 17 et, qu’en conséquence, lorsqu’une loi ne prévoit pas expressément qu’elle s’applique à l’État, « ilreste [. . .] à déterminer si la Couronne est liée par déduction nécessaire » (p. 50). Une expression similaire à l’expression « [s]auf indication contraire » de l’art. 17 se retrouvait anciennement à l’art. 16 de la Loid’interprétation, S.R.C. 1970, c. I-23.
Ce dernier prévoyait que « sauf dans la mesure y mentionnée ou prévue », nul texte de loi nepouvait lier l’État. Dans Oldman River et Alberta Government Telephones c. Canada (Conseil de la radiodiffusion et destélécommunications canadiennes), (SCC), [1989] 2 R.C.S. 225, notre Cour a interprété cette expression et a concluqu’afin de déroger à l’immunité de l’État, le législateur doit utiliser des termes exprès à moins qu’il ne puisse être déduit que la loi serait privée de tout effet si l’État n’était pas lié (voir aussi H. Brun, G. Tremblay et E. Brouillet, Droit constitutionnel (6e éd. 2014),par.
IX. 90). [par. 19 à 21] [Nous soulignons.] Nous sommes tenus de nous conformer à ces directives.
[29] Vu la place essentielle qu’il occupe en l’espèce, il est utile de reproduire de nouveau le par. 4(1) de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne : 4
(1) Subject to this Act, the Crown is subject to all liabilities in tort to which, if it were a person of full age and capacity, it would be subject, (
a) in respect of a tort to real or personal property, or causing bodily injury, committed by an officer or agent; (
b) in respect of a breach of a duty that a person owes to his servant or agent by reason of being his employer; (
c) in respect of a breach of a duty attaching to ownership, occupation, possession or control of property; (
d) under any enactment, or under any regulation made under authority of any enactment. 4
(1) Sous réserve des dispositions particulières de la présente loi, la Couronne encourt la même responsabilité délictuelle qu’elle devrait assumer, si elle était une personne majeure et capable,
a) à raison d’un délit civil portant atteinte à des biens réels ou personnels ou causant des dommages corporels et commis par un fonctionnaire ou un représentant;
b) à raison d’un manquement à une obligation dont une personne est tenue envers son préposé ou représentant du fait qu’elle est son employeur;
c) à raison d’un manquement à une obligation afférente à la propriété, l’occupation, la possession ou la garde d’un bien;
d) en vertu d’un texte législatif ou d’un règlement d’application d’un texte législatif. [30] Nous n’avons pas affaire ici à une action en responsabilité délictuelle pour dommages corporels, mais pour perte purement financière attribuable à la violation ou à l’inobservation de la politique 1115. L’ alinéa 4(1)
a) autorise la première (l’action en responsabilité délictuelle pour dommages corporels), mais pas la seconde, que n’admettent pas non plus les al. 4(1)
b) et c ). Fondamentalement, la question est celle de savoir si l’exception à l’immunité de la Couronne que crée l’al. 4(1)
d) s’applique à l’action intentée par M. Barton. [31] L’article 20 est l’unique disposition de la
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau- Brunswick qui soit invoquée en tant qu’elle impose au NBCC une responsabilité délictuelle pour la négligence plaidée dans l’exposé de la demande modifié. Il est opportun de reproduire l’article, ne serait-ce que par souci de commodité :
Programs of study 20
(1) A program of study of a corporation shall be consistent with the objects and purposes of that corporation. 20
(2) Each corporation shall establish guidelines for the following activities with respect to programs of study: (
a) their evaluation; (
b) their establishment; (
c) their expansion; (
d) their suspension; and (
e) their transfer. 20
(3) Each corporation shall evaluate, establish, expand, suspend or transfer a program of study in accordance with guidelines approved under
section 19. Programmes d’études 20
(1) Les programmes d’études de la société sont compatibles avec sa mission. 20
(2) Chaque société établit des lignes directrices visant les activités ci-dessous concernant les programmes d’études :
a) leur évaluation;
b) leur mise sur pied;
c) leur développement;
d) leur suspension;
e) leur transfert. 20
(3) Chaque société évalue, met sur pied, développe, suspend ou transfère un programme d’études conformément aux lignes directrices approuvées en vertu de l’article 19. [32] L’article 20 n’intéresse en rien les politiques telle la politique 1115. Cette politique instaure un cadre dans lequel réponse est donnée aux appels que les étudiants forment contre des résultats d’examens. Les « lignes directrices » que le par. 20(2) oblige le NBCC à établir portent sur l’évaluation de programmes d’études , et non de résultats d’examen.
Il s’ensuit que, si l’adoption de la politique 1115 était indubitablement de la compétence du NBCC, elle n’était pas une exigence législative.
Donc à supposer, sans en décider, que le terme « texte législatif », employé à l’ al. 4(1) d ), ait une portée suffisante pour s’étendre à une politique dont l’adoption serait une exigence législative, la politique 1115 ne serait pas une politique de cet ordre. [33] Outre que nous ne décidons pas si le terme « texte législatif », employé à l’ al. 4(1) d ), a une portée suffisante pour s’étendre à une politique dont l’adoption serait une obligation législative, nous ne déterminons pas aujourd’hui si, sans loi habilitante, une responsabilité du fait d’autrui peut être imposée à un mandant pour la conduite d’un mandataire protégée par une immunité d’origine législative contre les poursuites civiles en dommages-intérêts, cas de la conduite de M me Szabo-Sloane en application de l’ art. 16 de la
Loi sur les collèges communautaires du Nouveau-Brunswick . V. Conclusion et dispositif [34] La politique 1115 n’est pas un « texte législatif » au sens de l’al. 4(1)
d) de la
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne . En conséquence, cette exception légale à l’immunité de la Couronne ne s’applique pas à l’action intentée par l’intimé pour la perte de revenus qu’il attribue à la violation ou à l’inobservation, non prouvée, de la politique 1115 par le NBCC. Le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur justifiant d’infirmer sa décision lorsqu’il est arrivé à une autre conclusion et qu’il n’a accueilli qu’en
partie la motion du NBCC pour un jugement rejetant l’action, que cette motion repose sur la règle 23.01(1)
a) ou sur la règle 23.01(1)b). Pour ce motif, nous avons accueilli l’appel le 24 octobre 2017.
[35] Accessoirement, nous annulons la décision frappée d’appel et prononçons le rejet de l’action. [36] À de rares exceptions près, les dépens suivent l’issue de l’instance : il convient d’adjuger à la
partie gagnante des dépens appropriés. Vu l’issue des procédures, NBCC a droit aux dépens dans toutes les cours, dépens dont le montant, modeste il est vrai, est fixé à 1 500 $.