2019 NBCA 51, 2019 NBCA 51
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 86-17-CA SHANE STEPHEN WILLIAMS APPELLANT SHANE STEPHEN WILLIAMS APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Williams v. R., 2019 NBCA 51 Williams c.
R., 2019 NBCA 51 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LaVigne CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: June 29, 2017 (conviction) July 11, 2017 (sentence) Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 29 juin 2017 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 11 juillet 2017 (prononcé de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: February 12, 2019 Appel entendu : le 12 février 2019 Judgment rendered: June 27, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 27 juin 2019
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge LaVigne Counsel at hearing: Shane Stephen Williams, on his own behalf For the respondent: David Schermbrucker Avocats à l’audience : Shane Stephen Williams, en son propre nom Pour l’intimée : David Schermbrucker THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. LA COUR Rejette l’appel. The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] What constitutes unsafe storage of firearms and ammunition? That question lies at the heart of this appeal. Shane Williams casts himself as a responsible, safety-conscious gun owner. The RCMP took a contrary view and charged Mr. Williams with two counts of careless storage of firearms and ammunition pursuant to s. 86(1) of the Criminal Code . Following a trial before a judge of the Provincial Court, Mr. Williams was found guilty. He now appeals his conviction. II. Background [ 2 ] Operation J-Tornado was a large scale RCMP investigation into drug trafficking in Southern New Brunswick.
In the course of that operation, a number of search warrants were executed, including one which targeted the home of Mr. Williams. [ 3 ] According to evidence led by Crown witnesses, the search of Mr. Williams’ home yielded the following, all of which the trial judge accepted as fact:
1. In the master bedroom, police found a locked gun vault case on top of a night table. The key was found in a nearby drawer. Inside the case was a .45 calibre handgun with a loaded magazine inserted. It did not have a trigger lock. A second loaded magazine was also inside the case. 2. On the floor of the master bedroom near the night table, police found a box containing ten full boxes of Winchester .45 calibre ammunition. 3. In the master bedroom’s walk-in closet, police found a locked large metal gun cabinet. The key was found under some clothing on a shelf above the cabinet.
Inside the cabinet were a loaded semi-automatic rifle and a loaded shotgun. Neither had a trigger lock. 4. In the main floor living room, police found a gun vault case hidden inside a coffee table (the evidence of the police officers involved was unclear as to whether the case was locked or not). Inside the case was a .45 calibre handgun with a loaded magazine inserted. It did not have a trigger lock. A second loaded magazine was also inside the case. 5. In the main floor living room, sitting on top of a stereo speaker, police found a loaded magazine containing .45 calibre ammunition. 6.
In the kitchen, police found a loaded ammunition magazine sitting on a counter near a toaster. [ 4 ] Mr. Williams had acquired all the above noted firearms and ammunition legally and possessed the proper authorizations/permits. According to Mr. Williams, at the time of the search, he was residing in his family home with his wife and their two children, then aged five and eight. III. Issues and Analysis A. Grounds of Appeal [ 5 ] In his Notice of Appeal, Mr.
Williams set out grounds that related entirely to his trial on drug trafficking charges in the Court of Queen’s Bench, which were not at all relevant to his conviction in Provincial Court on the unsafe storage charges. No grounds were advanced which, if accepted, could lead to a successful appeal in the present matter. [ 6 ] At the outset of this hearing, Mr. Williams, representing himself, indicated he wished to amend his Notice of Appeal and replace the previously advanced grounds with a single contention: it was unreasonable for the trial judge to find the storage of his firearms and ammunition to be unsafe.
Crown counsel had no knowledge of this request in advance of the hearing, but had no objection, and indicated his willingness to proceed with the proviso that he may ask for an opportunity to submit a post-hearing written submission (as it transpired, I gather the Crown determined this was not necessary, as it was not pursued). The Court allowed the amendment. B. Unreasonable Verdict [ 7 ] Section 686(1)(a)(
i) of the Code sets out the powers of the Court of Appeal and vests the Court with the authority to “allow the appeal where it is of the opinion that the verdict should be set aside on the ground that it is unreasonable or cannot be supported by the evidence.” The analytical framework to be applied when considering an allegation of unreasonable verdict was explained by Chief Justice Drapeau (as he then was) in Oland v. R. , 2016 NBCA 58 , [2016] N.B.J. No. 288 (QL) : My understanding of the governing standard is summarized in Penney, Rondinelli and Stribopoulos, Criminal Procedure in Canada (Markham, Ont.: LexisNexis Canada Inc., 2011) at pp. 744-745.
The test to be applied by the appellate court under section 686(1)(a)(
i) of the Code has been established by the Supreme Court of Canadaas whether “the verdict is one that a properly instructed jury, acting judicially, could reasonably have rendered.” The test is equallyapplicable to a judge sitting at trial without a jury. Where the verdict rests primarily on circumstantial evidence, Justice Doherty noted inR. v. Mars [ (ON CA), [2006] O.J.
No. 472] that “the question becomes: could a trier-of-fact acting judicially besatisfied that the accused's guilt was the only reasonable conclusion available on the totality of the evidence?” In considering whether averdict is unreasonable, an appellate court is required to analyze and to some extent, reweigh the evidence adduced at trial. The courtwill do so through the “lens of judicial experience”, which serves as an additional safeguard against unsafe convictions. The burden onthe appellant in establishing an unreasonable verdict has been described as “high” and “difficult”.
Practically speaking, “at the end of theday this is a judgment call [by the court] and not a precise science. A subjective element is invariably involved in the global assessmentof the case.” (para. 18.6) [para. 27] Oland further reminds us that “the appellant bears the burden of establishing verdict unreasonableness for s. 686(1)(a)(
i) purposes”(para. 30). [8] The Code provision relating to the unsafe storage of firearms and ammunition reads as follows: Careless use of firearm, etc. 86
(1) Every person commits an offence who,without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles,ships, transports or stores a firearm, aprohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, aprohibited device or any ammunition orprohibited ammunition in a careless manner orwithout reasonable precautions for the safetyof other persons. Usage négligent 86
(1) Commet une infraction quiconque,sans excuse légitime, utilise, porte,manipule, expédie, transporte ou entreposeune arme à feu, une arme prohibée, une armeà autorisation restreinte, un dispositifprohibé, des munitions ou des munitionsprohibées d’une manière négligente ou sansprendre suffisamment de précautions pour lasécurité d’autrui. C.
Decision under appeal [9] In his decision, the trial judge held as follows: “I conclude that the storage of his firearms and ammunition fellbelow the standard of care required to ensure that no person is endangered by the firearms and ammunition in question” (DecisionTranscript, p. 18, line 11). He went on to state: In my view, the defendant himself was a knowledgeable and experienced gun owner and should have known that his storage of theseitems was not acceptable or prudent in the circumstances, especially in the family home with young children present.
For these reasons Ifind there has been a marked departure from the standard of care of a reasonably prudent person in these circumstances and that theCrown has proven all the essential elements of the counts […] beyond a reasonable doubt and I find the defendant guilty thereof.[Decision Transcript, p. 18, line 16 to p. 19, line 2] [10] The question to be determined on appeal is whether or not it was reasonable for the trial judge to render theabove verdict. D. Positions of the parties [11] Mr.
Williams maintains there was nothing unsafe about the manner in which he stored his firearms andammunition, and makes the following assertions: • He never left his firearms loaded (the implication being the police witnesses were untruthful in their testimonies on this point);
• The fact the gun vault cases and the gun cabinet were kept locked was sufficient, in spite of the keys being kept in close proximityand relatively easy to find; • Ammunition is not unsafe, and it only presents a safety concern once it is loaded in a firearm. [12] The trial judge was not convinced by these arguments. Neither am I. [13] For its part, the Crown argues the trial judge’s findings of fact are owed deference, and that the evidence easilysupports a verdict of guilty. I agree. Nothing in the record persuades me the verdict was unreasonable. E. Trial Judge’s analysis [14] Mr.
Williams was charged under s. 86(1) of the Code, and not, as the trial judge made clear, s. 86(2), whichprovides as follows: Contravention of storage regulations, etc. 86(2) Every person commits an offence whocontravenes a regulation made underparagraph 117(
h) of the Firearms Actrespecting the storage, handling,transportation, shipping, display, advertisingand mail-order sales of firearms andrestricted weapons. Contravention des règlements 86(2) Commet une infraction quiconquecontrevient à un règlement pris enapplication de l’alinéa 117h) de la
Loi surles armes à feu régissant l’entreposage, lamanipulation, le transport, l’expédition,l’exposition, la publicité et la vente postaled’armes à feu et d’armes à autorisationrestreinte. [15] The trial judge did, however, refer to the Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms byIndividuals Regulations, SOR/98-209, to inform his analysis of what Parliament considers unsafe with respect to the storage of firearmsand ammunition. I see no error in this approach. The trial judge did not enter a conviction based upon a contravention of s. 86(2).
Hemerely considered the Regulations to assist in his analysis of whether Mr. Williams had contravened s. 86(1). [16] In R. v. Finlay, (SCC), [1993] 3 S.C.R. 103, [1993] S.C.J. No. 89 (QL), Lamer C.J. reflectedupon the public policy underpinnings of s. 86 as it was then worded.
Two of his observations in particular encapsulate the importanceCanadians as a society place upon the safe storage of firearms and ammunition: […] Parliament has seen fit to impose on all people owning or using firearms a specific and rigorous duty of care. […] […] Parliament has addressed the threat posed by the use and storage of firearms by rendering those whose conduct shows a markeddeparture from the standard of care of a reasonably prudent person subject to criminal liability and possible imprisonment. [pp. 115 and116]
[ 17 ] The trial judge relied upon Finlay in finding the conduct of Mr. Williams showed “a marked departure from the standard of care of a reasonably prudent person.” [ 18 ] Findings of fact by trial judges are owed deference by this Court. Mr. Williams has not successfully challenged any of those findings.
Having regard to the allegation of this being an unreasonable verdict and applying the test affirmed in Oland , I am satisfied “the verdict is one that a properly instructed jury, acting judicially, could reasonably have rendered.” In my opinion, his decision is untainted by error, and consequently there is no basis for appellate intervention. IV. Disposition [ 19 ] I would dismiss the appeal. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE GREEN I. Introduction [1] En quoi l’entreposage non sécuritaire d’armes à feu et de munitions consiste-t-il? La question est au cœur du présent appel.
Shane Williams se présente comme un propriétaire d’armes à feu responsable et prudent. La GRC en a jugé autrement; elle a déposé contre M. Williams un acte d’accusation portant deux chefs d’entreposage négligent d’armes à feu et de munitions, infraction prévue au par. 86(1) du Code criminel . Au terme d’un procès devant un juge de la Cour provinciale, M. Williams a été déclaré coupable. Il interjette appel aujourd’hui de sa déclaration de culpabilité. II. Contexte [2] Enquête de grande envergure de la GRC, l’Opération J-Tornado avait pour cible le trafic de drogues dans le Sud du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Elle a mené à l’exécution d’un certain nombre de mandats de perquisition, dont l’un au domicile de M. Williams. [3] Les témoins du ministère public ont indiqué que la perquisition réalisée au domicile de M. Williams avait eu les résultats suivants, et le juge a tenu le tout pour des faits : 1. Dans la chambre principale, la police a découvert, sur une table de chevet, un boîtier pour pistolet fermé à clé. La clé se trouvait dans un tiroir, tout près. Le boîtier contenait un pistolet de calibre .45 dans lequel était engagé un chargeur garni. Le pistolet n’était pas muni d’un verrou de détente.
Le boîtier renfermait aussi un second chargeur garni. 2. Sur le plancher de la chambre principale, à proximité de la table de chevet, la police a découvert un carton contenant dix boîtes entières de munitions de calibre .45 de marque Winchester.
3. Dans la pièce-penderie de la chambre principale, la police a découvert une grande armoire à fusils métallique fermée à clé. La clé se trouvait sous les vêtements d’une étagère surplombant l’armoire. L’armoire renfermait un fusil semi-automatique et un fusil de chasse chargés. Ni l’un ni l’autre n’étaient munis d’un verrou de détente. 4. Dans le salon du rez-de-chaussée, la police a découvert un boîtier pour pistolet dissimulé dans une table basse (la preuve qu’ont présentée les policiers n’indiquait pas clairement si le boîtier était fermé à clé).
Il contenait un pistolet de calibre .45 dans lequel était engagé un chargeur garni. Le pistolet n’était pas muni d’un verrou de détente. Le boîtier contenait aussi un second chargeur garni. 5. Dans le salon du rez-de-chaussée, la police a découvert, déposé sur une enceinte acoustique, un chargeur garni contenant des munitions de calibre .45. 6. Dans la cuisine, la police a découvert un chargeur garni sur un comptoir, à proximité d’un grille-pain. [4] M. Williams avait acquis légalement toutes les armes à feu et munitions susmentionnées, et possédait les permis et autorisations nécessaires.
Il a affirmé que, à l’époque de la perquisition, il habitait le domicile familial avec son épouse et leurs deux enfants, qui avaient alors cinq et huit ans. III. Questions à trancher et analyse A. Moyens d’appel [5] Dans son avis d’appel, M. Williams avançait des moyens n’ayant trait qu’à son procès à la Cour du Banc de la Reine sur des accusations de trafic de drogues, qui n’étaient pas du tout pertinents à l’égard de sa déclaration de culpabilité en Cour provinciale relativement aux accusations d’entreposage non sécuritaire.
Il ne formulait aucun moyen qui, s’il avait été retenu, aurait permis d’accueillir l’appel. [6] À l’ouverture de l’audience, M. Williams, qui se représente lui-même, a indiqué qu’il souhaitait modifier son avis d’appel et substituer aux moyens avancés un unique argument : il avait été déraisonnable, de la part du juge du procès, de conclure à l’entreposage non sécuritaire des armes à feu et des munitions.
L’avocat du ministère public n’avait pas été prévenu de cette requête avant l’audience; il n’a toutefois pas soulevé d’objection et s’est montré disposé à poursuivre l’instance, mais à une condition : il se pouvait qu’il demande à présenter un mémoire postérieur à l’audience (la demande n’en ayant pas été faite, l e ministère public a jugé, je suppose, que ce n’était pas nécessaire). La Cour a autorisé la modification. B. Verdict déraisonnable [7] Le sous-alinéa 686(1) a)(
i) du Code criminel énonce les pouvoirs de la Cour d’appel et l’habilite à « admettre l’appel, si elle est d’avis […] que le verdict devrait être rejeté pour le motif qu’il est déraisonnable ou ne peut pas s’appuyer sur la preuve ». Le cadre d’analyse applicable lorsqu’un verdict déraisonnable est invoqué a été expliqué par le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre), dans Oland c.
R. , 2016 NBCA 58 , [2016] A.N.-B. n o 288 (QL) : Ma compréhension de la règle applicable est résumée dans l’ouvrage de Penney, Rondinelli et Stribopoulos, intitulé Criminal Procedure in Canada (Markham, Ont. : LexisNexis Canada Inc., 2011), aux p. 744 et 745. [TRADUCTION] Le critère que le tribunal d’appel doit appliquer sous le régime du ss-al. 686(1)a)(
i) du Code a été établi par la Cour suprême du Canada; il consiste à déterminer si « le verdict est l’un de ceux qu’un jury qui a reçu les directives appropriées et qui agit d’une manière judiciaire aurait pu raisonnablement rendre ». Ce critère s’applique également à un juge qui préside un procès sans jury. Le juge Doherty a souligné dans l’arrêt R. c. Mars que lorsque le verdict repose principalement sur une preuve circonstancielle, [TRADUCTION] « la question devient celle-ci : le juge des faits, agissant d’une manière judiciaire, pourrait-il être convaincu que la culpabilité de l’accusé était
la seule conclusion raisonnable susceptible d’être tirée d’après la preuve dans son ensemble? ». Lorsqu’il examine la question de savoir si un verdict est déraisonnable, le tribunal d’appel doit analyser et, dans une certaine mesure, apprécier de nouveau la preuve produite au procès. Le tribunal doit le faire « à la lumière de l’expérience judiciaire » qui est un autre moyen d’éviter les déclarations de culpabilité erronées. Le fardeau dont l’appelant doit s’acquitter pour établir que le verdict est déraisonnable a été qualifié de « lourd » et de « difficile ».
Sur le plan pratique, [TRADUCTION] « il s’agit, au bout du compte, d’une décision [que prend le tribunal] et non d’une science exacte. L’évaluation globale de l’affaire comporte toujours un élément subjectif ». (par. 18.6) [par. 27] L’arrêt Oland nous rappelle également que « l’appelant a la charge d’établir le caractère déraisonnable du verdict pour les fins du ss- al. 686(1)a)(i) » (par. 30). [8] La disposition du Code portant sur l’entreposage non sécuritaire d’armes à feu et de munitions est la suivante : Careless use of firearm, etc. 86
(1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons. Usage négligent 86
(1) Commet une infraction quiconque, sans excuse légitime, utilise, porte, manipule, expédie, transporte ou entrepose une arme à feu, une arme prohibée, une arme à autorisation restreinte, un dispositif prohibé, des munitions ou des munitions prohibées d’une manière négligente ou sans prendre suffisamment de précautions pour la sécurité d’autrui. C.
Décision frappée d’appel [9] Dans sa décision, le juge du procès a statué en ces termes : [TRADUCTION] « Je conclus que l’entreposage de ses armes à feu et de ses munitions ne satisfaisait pas à la norme de diligence à laquelle il faut se conformer pour garantir qu’elles ne mettront personne en danger » (transcription de la décision, p. 18, ligne 11).
Il a ajouté : [TRADUCTION] À mon sens, le défendeur lui-même, vu la connaissance et l’expérience qu’il avait des armes à feu, aurait dû savoir que l’entreposage de ces divers objets n’était ni acceptable ni prudent dans les circonstances, surtout dans le domicile familial de jeunes enfants.
Pour ces motifs, je conclus à un écart marqué par rapport à la norme de diligence qu’une personne raisonnablement prudente aurait observée dans les circonstances, je constate que le ministère public a prouvé chacun des éléments essentiels des infractions […] hors de tout doute raisonnable, et j’en déclare le défendeur coupable. [Transcription de la décision, p. 18, ligne 16 à p. 19, ligne 2] [10] La question à trancher en appel est celle de savoir s’il était raisonnable, de la part du juge du procès, de prononcer le verdict ci-dessus. D. Thèses des parties [11] M.
Williams maintient que la manière dont il entreposait ses armes à feu et ses munitions n’avait rien d’un entreposage non sécuritaire, et affirme que : • jamais ses armes à feu ne demeuraient chargées (ce qui suppose que les témoins de la police ne se sont pas montrés véridiques sur ce point); • fermer à clé les boîtiers des pistolets et l’armoire à fusils suffisait, malgré la proximité des clés et leur découverte relativement facile;
• les munitions ne sont pas un objet non sécuritaire et ne présentent un risque qu’une fois l’arme à feu chargée. [12] Ces arguments n’ont pas persuadé le juge du procès. Ils ne me persuadent pas non plus. [13] Le ministère public, pour sa part, fait valoir que les conclusions de fait du juge du procèscommandent la déférence et que le verdict de culpabilité peut aisément s’appuyer sur la preuve présentée. J’en conviens. Rien au dossierne me persuade que le verdict était déraisonnable. E. L’analyse du juge du procès [14] Les accusations portées contre M.
Williams se fondaient sur le par. 86(1) du Code et non,comme le juge du procès l’a clairement indiqué, sur son par. 86(2), qui porte ce qui suit : Contravention of storage regulations, etc. 86(2) Every person commits an offence whocontravenes a regulation made underparagraph 117(
h) of the Firearms Actrespecting the storage, handling,transportation, shipping, display, advertisingand mail-order sales of firearms andrestricted weapons. Contravention des règlements 86(2) Commet une infraction quiconquecontrevient à un règlement pris enapplication de l’alinéa 117h) de la
Loi surles armes à feu régissant l’entreposage, lamanipulation, le transport, l’expédition,l’exposition, la publicité et la vente postaled’armes à feu et d’armes à autorisationrestreinte. [15] Le juge du procès s’est bel et bien reporté, toutefois, au Règlement sur l’entreposage,l’exposition, le transport et le maniement des armes à feu par des particuliers, DORS/98-209, afin d’orienter l’analyse par laquelle ils’appliquait à établir ce que le législateur considère comme non sécuritaire en matière d’entreposage d’armes à feu et de munitions. Je nevois aucune erreur dans cette façon de procéder.
Le juge du procès n’a pas inscrit une déclaration de culpabilité du fait d’une infractionau par. 86(2). Il s’est tout simplement aidé du Règlement dans l’analyse réalisée afin de déterminer si M. Williams avait enfreint lepar. 86(1). [16] Dans R. c. Finlay, (SCC), [1993] 3 R.C.S. 103, [1993] A.C.S. no 89 (QL), lejuge en chef Lamer s’est arrêté aux considérations d’ordre public étayant l’art. 86, examiné dans sa formulation d’alors.
Deux de sesobservations, en particulier, expriment l’importance que les Canadiens, en tant que société, accordent à l’entreposage sécuritaire d’armesà feu et de munitions : […] le législateur a jugé bon d’imposer à toutes les personnes qui possèdent ou utilisent des armes à feu une obligation de diligenceprécise et stricte. […] […] le législateur a traité de la menace que posent l’utilisation et l’entreposage des armes à feu en rendant passibles de responsabilitécriminelle et d’une peine d’emprisonnement ceux dont la conduite montre un écart marqué par rapport à la norme de diligencequ’observerait une personne raisonnablement prudente. [p. 115 et 116] [17] Le juge du procès s’est appuyé sur Finlay pour conclure que la conduite de M.
Williamsmontrait « un écart marqué par rapport à la norme de diligence qu’observerait une personne raisonnablement prudente ».
[18] Les conclusions de fait de juges de première instance commandent la déférence de notre Cour. M. Williams n’a contesté avec succès aucune de ces conclusions. Quant à l’allégation de déraisonnabilité du verdict, je suis convaincu, par application du critère suivi dans Oland , que « le verdict est l’un de ceux qu’un jury qui a reçu les directives appropriées et qui agit d’une manière judiciaire aurait pu raisonnablement rendre ». À mon avis, la décision du juge n’est entachée d’aucune erreur et rien ne fonde, donc, à l’infirmer en appel. IV. Dispositif [19] Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel.