2023 NBCA 86, 2023 NBCA 86
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 71-22-CA JAMES E. SELLARS APPELLANT JAMES E. SELLARS APPELANT - and - - et - EQUITY ASSOCIATES INC. RESPONDENT EQUITY ASSOCIATES INC. INTIMÉE James E. Sellars v. Equity Associates Inc., 2023 NBCA 86 CORAM: The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond The Honourable Justice LeBlanc James E. Sellars c.
Equity Associates Inc., 2023 NBCA 86 CORAM : l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond l’honorable juge LeBlanc Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: June 27, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 27 juin 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: March 21, 2023 Appel entendu : le 21 mars 2023 Judgment rendered: September 28, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 28 septembre 2023
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond The Honourable Justice LeBlanc Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: G. Robert Basque, K.C. For the respondent: George L. Cooper, K.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge LeBlond l’honorable juge LeBlanc Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : G. Robert Basque, c.r. Pour l’intimée : George L. Cooper, c.r. THE COURT [ 1 ] The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,000 payable to the respondent.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté et des dépens de 2 000 $ sont adjugés à l’intimée. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I. Introduction [1] James Sellars appeals the
summary judgment decision dismissing his action for damages arising from the termination of the contract that appointed him as a non-exclusive agent to sell mutual funds for Equity Associates Inc. [ 2 ] To be licensed to sell mutual funds in New Brunswick, a person must be sponsored by a dealer who is a member of the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (the “Association”), which regulates dealers and individuals who sell mutual funds in Canada. Equity is such a dealer. Licensees must also maintain errors and omissions insurance. [ 3 ] On April 10, 2017, Equity terminated Mr.
Sellars’ contract, effective immediately, after learning that his insurance coverage expired on March 30, 2017, and his request(
s) for a renewal had been denied. Although Mr. Sellars advised Equity on April 11, 2017, that he had secured insurance, Equity did not reinstate the contract and it informed the Association that it was no longer sponsoring him. Without a sponsor, Mr. Sellars was no longer able to sell mutual funds or further advise his clients. To give Mr. Sellars time to sell his “book of business” to another financial planner/advisor, Equity agreed not to solicit his clients until the earlier of June 30, 2017, or when he sold his “book.” Equity also agreed to pay Mr.
Sellars the usual monthly “trail” commissions related to his clients’ accounts during this period. These arrangements resulted, at least in part, because Mr. Sellars advised Equity that he did not intend to seek out another sponsor to resume the sale of mutual funds, but he instead intended to pursue the sale of his “book of business.”
[ 4 ] While Equity paid commissions to Mr. Sellars until June 30, 2017, it refused his request to continue paying until August 2017, when the sale of his “book” to another agent of Equity closed. The agreement for the sale of his “book” was made on July 5, 2017. [ 5 ] In November 2017, Mr. Sellars commenced a small claims proceeding to recover commissions for July 2017. He was successful and, in October 2018, he obtained judgment in an amount that exceeded $10,000. [ 6 ] In March 2019, Mr.
Sellars commenced the current action claiming that he was an employee of Equity or, alternatively, a dependent contractor and that (1) the termination of his contract was wrongful and the resulting withdrawal of his sponsorship caused a loss in the value of his “book of business” and future income, (2) both the notice given to the Association of the termination of the contract and Equity’s refusal to reinstate the contract after he had secured a new policy of insurance were acts of bad faith, and (3) he was forced to sell his “book of business” at a discounted price.
His action also claimed damages from Marsh Canada Limited, his insurance broker, but the action against Marsh was discontinued prior to the hearing that resulted in the decision under appeal. [ 7 ] Mr. Sellars’ action against Equity was dismissed on an application of the principle of res judicata , based on the motion judge’s conclusion that it ought to have been advanced at the time of the small claims proceeding. [ 8 ] At the heart of this appeal is Mr.
Sellars’ contention that the motion judge failed to recognize that his current cause of action is not the same as his action to recover commissions for July 2017. I would dismiss the appeal for the reasons that follow. II. Context [ 9 ] The Canadian mutual fund industry is regulated by the Association together with provincial securities regulators, which include the New Brunswick Financial and Consumer Services Commission (the “Commission”). To be licensed to sell mutual funds in New Brunswick, a person must be sponsored by a mutual fund dealer that is a member of the Association and recognized by the Commission.
Additionally, the person must carry insurance. [ 10 ] Mr. Sellars began his financial advisory practice in 1993. He was licensed to sell mutual funds and, in 1996, he obtained a certified financial planner designation. In 1998, he became licensed to sell life and accident and sickness insurance. [ 11 ] Equity is registered with the Association as a dealer for trading in mutual fund securities and other selected securities, products, and services. Its operations involve approximately 170 financial advisors across Canada. A. The Partner Contract [ 12 ] Equity appointed Mr.
Sellars as a non-exclusive agent to sell mutual funds under a contract entitled “Equity Associates Inc. Partner Contract” and dated October 24, 2013 (the “Partner Contract”). It is acknowledged the contract did not give him, as “partner,” any ownership interest; instead, the word is seemingly intended only to connote that the agent has a level of seniority with Equity. [ 13 ] Mr. Sellars claims he was an employee or, in the alternative, a dependent contractor.
Equity maintains he was an independent contractor, and the Partner Contract expressly provides that he is not an employee. [ 14 ] The contract provides that Mr. Sellars: (1) owns his “book of business,” client list and all electronic data relating to his clients; (2) cannot conduct any securities-related business for any other securities dealer; (3) is required to devote his full time and attention to Equity’s business, except to pursue other business or occupation(
s) approved by Equity; and (4) is required to obtain, and maintain in good standing, insurance. The contract also provides that it may be terminated on 30 days’ notice.
B. Expiry of Insurance and Termination of the Partner Contract [ 15 ] For years, Mr. Sellars arranged his errors and omissions insurance through Marsh Canada Limited. His most recent policy was set to expire on March 30, 2017. He says he unexpectedly learned, in mid-March 2017, that Marsh was unable to have his policy renewed, nor was it able to secure coverage with another insurer. [ 16 ] On March 30, 2017, when Equity learned that Mr.
Sellars was no longer insured, it immediately notified him it was necessary for him to stop performing the activities of a mutual fund dealer; they could not be resumed until insurance was secured. Equity also advised Mr. Sellars that it would not terminate the Partner Contract if he could secure insurance on or before April 7, 2017. [ 17 ] The evidence of the efforts undertaken to obtain insurance, both before and after March 30, 2017, need not be summarized in detail. It is sufficient to know that Mr. Sellars was unable to secure insurance by April 7, 2017. [ 18 ] On April 10, 2017, Equity gave Mr.
Sellars written notice that it was terminating the contract, effective immediately. [ 19 ] On April 11, 2017, Mr. Sellars advised Equity that he had been able to secure insurance and he asked to be reinstated. On April 17, 2017, he provided Equity with proof of new insurance coverage, which was effective as of April 1, 2017. [ 20 ] In response to the request to be reinstated, Equity advised that the issue was not as simple as it seemed since, for Mr.
Sellars to be reinstated, it was also necessary for the Association and the Commission to reinstate his license; Equity suggested this would be complicated by complaints that had been filed. [ 21 ] In any event, Equity chose not to reinstate the Partner Contract, and Mr.
Sellars was left in the position of having to either find another mutual fund dealer to sponsor him or sell his “book of business.” He chose to do the latter; however, he claims that the wrongful termination and the immediate/premature reporting of the insurance issue to the Association and the Commission forced him to sell and the limited time provided caused him to do so at a discount. [ 22 ] To give Mr. Sellars time to sell his “book of business,” Equity agreed it would neither solicit nor permit other agents of Equity to solicit Mr.
Sellars’ clients until the earlier of June 30, 2017, or he sold his “book.” During this period, since Mr. Sellars could not service his clients, Equity would internally service their requests and administer their needs. Also, during this period, Equity agreed to pay Mr. Sellars the recurring “trail” commissions related to his clients. [ 23 ] On July 5, 2017, Mr. Sellars entered into an agreement with another agent of Equity, who agreed to buy his “book,” with a closing in early August 2017. C. The Small Claims Action [ 24 ] To highlight the distinction between the actions, Mr.
Sellars emphasized before us that his small claims action did not advance a claim for damages based on wrongful dismissal or for any other losses grounded in the termination of the Partner Contract. He maintains it advanced an independent cause of action. [ 25 ] Mr. Sellars’ claim sought $9,781, as “income earned by my book of business [that] was not paid for the month of July 2017.” In its Response, Equity admitted Mr. Sellars’ book generated commissions in July 2017; however, Equity claimed a setoff for what it maintained was Mr.
Sellars’ contractual obligation to indemnify it for its legal costs, administrative time, lost revenue, etc. The adjudicator dismissed Mr. Sellars’ claim. [ 26 ] Mr. Sellars filed a Request for Appeal by Way of a New Hearing to the Court of Queen’s Bench (now King’s Bench). Equity filed a Response that was amended to assert that Mr. Sellars had “no free-standing right to commissions generated by the
Book of Business. All entitlement to commissions generated by the Book of Business results from the terms of the Partner Contract,” which terminated on April 10, 2017. As a result, Equity argued, it had no obligation to pay commissions beyond its express agreement to pay to the end of June 2017. Alternatively, Equity claimed a setoff of costs incurred. [ 27 ] The appeal judge decided Mr. Sellars was entitled to the July 2017 commissions, plus prejudgment interest and costs. [ 28 ] Both the small claims adjudicator and the appeal judge noted that Mr. Sellars was not claiming wrongful dismissal.
The adjudicator stated in his decision that, on cross-examination, Mr. Sellars acknowledged he was not asserting a claim for wrongful dismissal or a loss of income caused by Equity’s decision to terminate his contract. Similarly, the appeal judge stated in his reasons for decision (reported at Sellars v. Equity Associates Inc ., 2018 NBQB 174 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 226 (QL) ) that “Mr. Sellars is not suing for what is often referred to as ‘wrongful dismissal’. He is suing Equity because he believes he is entitled to ‘trail commissions’ for the month of July 2017 […]” (para. 7). D. The Current Action [ 29 ] Mr.
Sellars’ Statement of Claim, filed in March 2019, names both Equity and Marsh Canada Limited as defendants. He claims: (1) the termination of his contract was wrongful, and the resulting withdrawal of his sponsorship caused a loss in the value of his “book of business” and future income; (2) both the notice given to the Association of the termination of the contract and the refusal by Equity to reinstate the contract, after he had later secured the required insurance, were acts of bad faith; and (3) he was forced to sell his “book of business” at a discount.
Based on these claims, he seeks as damages: 1) general damages (
i) for pay in lieu of notice equivalent to a period of reasonable notice, (ii) for loss of future income caused by Equity’s precipitous termination of his sponsorship in the Association, and (iii) for diminution in income, loss of reputation, humiliation, embarrassment and emotional distress; and 2) special damages equivalent to the loss of value in his “book of business.” E. The Motions for
Summary Judgment and the Judge’s Decision [ 30 ] In March 2020, Equity filed a motion for
summary judgment dismissing Mr. Sellars’ action in accordance with the doctrine of res judicata , more particularly cause of action estoppel, and abuse of process. [ 31 ] In May 2022, Mr. Sellars filed a cross-motion seeking (1) dismissal of Equity’s motion as well as a similar motion that had been filed by Marsh, and (2) damages against both Equity and Marsh. [ 32 ] In June 2022, the action against Marsh was discontinued and, on June 27, 2022, the remaining two motions were heard. The motion judge granted Equity’s request for
summary judgment, dismissing Mr. Sellars’ action in its entirety: Once Mr. Sellars had elected to bring Equity associates before the Court, albeit using the Small Claims procedure, this Court feels that Mr. Sellars should have raised all the […] issues or the arguments that he wanted to raise and argue all what he felt were breaches committed by Equity.
And if he − in November 2017 when he elected to proceed via the Small Claims procedure, if he did not raise all the […] arguments or […] all the issues for which he felt he would […] have been entitled to compensation or remedy or redress of any sort, because the Small Claims procedure with its limit to twenty thousand dollars was not appropriate, he should not have elected to proceed under […] the Small Claims Act , and he should simply have elected to proceed under the regular Rules of Court and make all the claims that he wished to make with no amount − no limits in the amount. […]
Since July of 2017, Mr. Sellars had all the information, all the events or incidents. Everything that had happened that he’s now arguingin his Notice of Action that he filed on March 7, 2019, it had all happened. So, he had to be aware, and − if he was not aware, […] hewas not diligent in not being aware. With a minimum of diligence […], by November 2017, he had all the […] information available tohim to bring all his claim, raise all his claim. [33] Additionally, as the motion judge explained, in case he was wrong to dismiss Mr. Sellars’ action, he woulddecide, provisionally, Mr. Sellars’ motion for
summary judgment against Equity. He decided that Mr. Sellars was a dependentcontractor, terminated without cause and entitled to the contractual one-month notice of termination. [34] Mr. Sellars’ appeal of the decision dismissing his action also includes an appeal of the motion judge’sdetermination (in relation to his cross-motion) that he was a dependent contractor (not an employee) and he was entitled to only 30 days’notice for wrongful dismissal.
Since I would dismiss his appeal of the decision dismissing his action, I will not address his other groundsof appeal further. [35] Equity filed a Notice of Contention, which asks that this Court (1) affirm the decision to dismiss Mr. Sellars’action and (2) set aside the “purported reasons for decision rendered in the Cross Motion brought by [Mr. Sellars] […] in their entirety.” III. Analysis
(1) Mr. Sellars’ Appeal [36] Mr. Sellars’s appeal turns on his assertion that the judge failed to recognize the distinction between his currentcause of action and the one he pursued in small claims court. The elements of cause of action estoppel are not disputed, nor are theapplication of the other elements in issue. [37] I do not agree the present cause of action is different. Further, even if it were, in my opinion, the motion judgedid not err in deciding that both causes are grounded in the same impugned conduct and the current action ought to have been broughtwith the first action.
(2) Res Judicata – Cause of Action Estoppel [38] The reasons for decision of Vice-Chancellor Wigram in Henderson v. Henderson (1843), 3 Hare 100, [1843-60] All E.R.
Rep. 378, are commonly cited as foundational respecting the common law principle of cause of action estoppel and itsapplication not only to issues decided in a previous action, but also to “every point which properly belonged to the subject of [the]litigation and which the parties, exercising reasonable diligence, might have brought forward at the time”: In trying this question, I believe I state the rule of the Court correctly, when I say that, where a given matter becomes the subject oflitigation in, and of adjudication by, a Court of competent jurisdiction, the Court requires the parties to that litigation to bring forwardtheir whole case, and will not (except under special circumstances) permit the same parties to open the same subject of litigation inrespect of matter which might have been brought forward as part of the subject in contest, but which was not brought forward, onlybecause they have, from negligence, inadvertence, or even accident, omitted part of their case.
The plea of res judicata applies, except inspecial case, not only to points upon which the Court was actually required by the parties to form an opinion and pronounce a judgment,but to every point which properly belonged to the subject of litigation and which the parties, exercising reasonable diligence, might havebrought forward at the time. [Emphasis added; pp. 114-115] See also Maynard v. Maynard, (SCC), [1951] S.C.R. 346, [1950] S.C.J. No. 42 (QL), pp. 358-359. [39] This scope of the doctrine’s application was recognized and applied by this Court in Comeau et al. v.
Breau etal. (1994), (NB CA), 145 N.B.R. (2d) 329, [1994] N.B.J. No. 74 (QL), where Ryan J.A. explained:
In a cause of action estoppel, there must be a completely different cause of action asserted in order to avoid the rule. More simply put,were the facts upon which the Breaus were found liable to Comeau for the wrongful retaking of the restaurant business substantially thesame and in issue in the intended second suit? The answer is “yes”. The facts constituting the cause of action in this case remain thesame whether the action is founded in contract or in tort although the remedy might well be different. […] As Crossley J. said in Melcor Developments Ltd. v.
Edmonton (City) et al. (1982), (AB KB), 37 A.R. 532, at 540: theparties must not attempt to conduct “law suits by installment”. On the facts of the case before us on appeal, cause of action estoppel applies. As well, there are certain constituent elements present inboth cases which would permit a court to rule that issue estoppel also applied. However, technically, the tortious acts of the Breaus werenot determined as acts of tort apart from their relationship to breach of contract. But this is not the only problem facing Mr. Comeau. Washe diligent in the pursuit of his claim initially?
REASONABLE DILIGENCE TO PURSUE ENTIRE CLAIM A plaintiff must advance all reasonable theories and particulars in the first suit. And, if new facts come to light, the litigant mustpersuade a court that the new facts could not have been ascertained by reasonable diligence. In Doering v. Grandview (Town), (CSC), [1976] 2 S.C.R. 621; 7 N.R. 299, Ritchie J. referred to the responsibilities of a plaintiff in bringing an action.
At p. 638he said: “... it is to be noted that the respondent has not alleged either in his pleadings or his affidavit that he could not by reasonable diligence,have put himself in a position to advance the theory of soil saturation through the aquifer at the time of the first action, nor can it be saidthat his failure to raise that particular point did not arise ‘through negligence, inadvertence or even accident.’ In my opinion, the burdenlay upon the respondent to at least allege that the new fact could not have been ascertained by reasonable diligence at the time when thefirst action was commenced before he could invoke it so as to expose the appellant a second time to litigation arising out of the sameconduct. …” See also Phosphate Sewage Company v.
Molleson (1879), 4 App. Cas. 801, at 814-815. [Emphasis added; paras. 27-32] [40] In Kameka v. Williams, 2009 NSCA 107, [2009] N.S.J. No. 470 (QL), the Nova Scotia Court of Appealaddressed the clear distinction between a situation where a challenged proceeding is found to be based on the same cause of action as aprior action and one where the cause of action is different, but it could have been raised.
In the former, the action has been merged intothe judgment issued in the first proceeding; in the latter, it is necessary to decide whether it ought to have been raised and res judicataought to apply: How and if the doctrine of estoppel by res judicata might apply to prevent the respondent from again suing the appellant Kamekadepends on whether the present suit is in relation to the same or a different cause of action (there is certainly no suggestion it is anentirely new cause of action).
If it is a different cause of action, consideration would have to be given to whether the party should haveraised it in the earlier proceeding. However, if the suit is based on the same cause of action, it has become merged into the judgment therespondent obtained in the Small Claims Court. [Emphasis added; para. 22] [41] Whether a matter ought to have been raised will depend upon the circumstances. Making the point that there ismore to the issue than simply asking whether the matters raised in the new action could have been raised in the prior action, CromwellJ.A., as he then was, explained in Hoque v.
Montreal Trust Company of Canada, 1997 NSCA 153, [1997] N.S.J. No. 430 (QL): My review of these authorities shows that while there are some very broad statements that all matters which could have been raised arebarred under the principle of cause of action estoppel, none of the cases actually demonstrates this broad principle. In each case, the issuewas whether the party should have raised the point now asserted in the second action. That turns on a number of considerations,including whether the new allegations are inconsistent with matters actually decided in the earlier case, whether it relates to the same or
a distinct cause of action, whether there is an attempt to rely on new facts which could have been discovered with reasonable diligence in the earlier case, whether the second action is simply an attempt to impose a new legal conception on the same facts or whether the present action constitutes an abuse of process. [Emphasis added; para. 64 cited to QL]
(3) No error by Motion Judge [ 42 ] There are two reasons why I do not agree the motion judge failed to recognize that the action in Small Claims Court was grounded in a duty owed by Equity that was independent of its obligations under the Partner contract and the facts that gave rise to the current cause of action, namely the wrongful termination of the contract. [ 43 ] First, this assertion does not reflect the true basis for the action advanced in the small claims proceeding. Despite it clearly, and repeatedly, being pointed out that Mr.
Sellars acknowledged and/or admitted he was not suing for wrongful dismissal and the issue of whether he was wrongfully terminated was not before the court, the motion judge ultimately determined that Mr. Sellars was entitled to the July 2017 commissions based on Equity’s failure to terminate the contract with “proper termination notice.” The court did not go astray. The issue of whether Mr. Sellars’ right to the July 2017 commissions was based on the contract was, in fact, before the court.
Equity expressly argued there was no agreement past June 2017 and any right to commissions from his “book of business” during July 2017 arose under the Partner Contract. The recognition of Mr. Sellars’ admission that he was not claiming wrongful dismissal must be interpreted as simply acknowledging that he was not seeking damages based on the typical approach, that is, pay in lieu of notice that requires the court to determine the required period of reasonable advance notice of termination. [ 44 ] In any event, Mr.
Sellars’ successful claim for the July 2017 commissions was based on the judge’s determination that Equity had not met its notice obligations under the Partner Contract in terminating Mr. Sellars’ agency. The appeal judge wrote: ANALYSIS As noted above, Equity prepared the Partner Contract. Consequently, if there are any ambiguities in the language of the contract, they are to be interpreted against Equity. As a general comment, the contract is relatively straight-forward. However, the Court is faced with deciding only the issue of whether Mr. Sellars is entitled to some or all of the July commissions.
The issue of whether Mr. Sellars was wrongfully terminated is not before this Court. As I view this matter, there are two clauses which come to the fore: clauses 3.3(
c) and 6.2 of the Partner Contract and their import to the fact situation. Initially, Mr. Sellars could not renew his policy providing Error and Omission coverage. At that time, Mr. Sellars tried very hard to obtain the coverage and subsequently did obtain coverage on April 11, 2017. As noted in Exhibit 3, Mr. Goodish said “[i]n terms of re-instating you if you get coverage next week, I'll have to give that some thought. [...] Let’s see what happens by Friday and then I can give thought to the re-instatement process.” Five days later, Mr. Sellars is terminated because he did not have the E&O coverage.
A day later, Mr. Sellars has coverage (Exhibit 10) and it was felt appropriate to back-date for coverage to the last policy. Interestingly, the first response to Mr. Sellars’ claim suggests there was a right of set-off for “costs for legal fees and administrative time and lost income caused by the defendant’s chronic misconduct and omissions [sic] sustained over the course of the 3 year relationship.” Now, the termination is due to lack of E&O insurance coverage. A reading of clause 3.3(
c) indicates that the Partner Contract would not be effective until such coverage is in force. That obligation was met and the contract was in force for a number of years. The clause goes on to say that the partner should provide such proof of coverage at the time of each annual renewal of registration. Clause 6.2 provides that Equity may terminate the Partner Contract at any time upon 30 days’ prior written notice. The letter of termination is dated April 10, 2017 and does not constitute 30 days’ written notice. The stated reason for termination is the E&O insurance coverage not being available.
However, within a few days, it was in place and back-dated to provide coverage throughout the period when there was no coverage. Nothing is contained in the termination provisions, clause 6, which deals with termination due to failure to obtain E&O coverage. Consequently, we are back into clause 3.3(
c) to see if it deals with termination. The authorities provided the admonition that judges should use the plain meaning of the clause in question and, on the facts of this matter, ambiguities should be resolved against Equity because they drafted the contract.
As I read the contract, the provisions dealing with termination require a 30-day notice to Mr. Sellars. Clause 3.3(
c) requires that Mr.Sellars have E&O coverage and Mr. Goodish gave him time to obtain the coverage. One would think that notice under terminationprovisions should have been given 30 days before termination became effective or the E&O clause should have had a more specificprovision on termination if the E&O coverage was lost. I do not see that in clause 3.3(c), and this is coupled with the fact that Equitypermitted a period of time for Mr. Sellars to obtain E&O coverage which he did obtain back-dated to when he lost coverage.
It appears to me, considering the evidence and the original Response filed by Equity, that Equity merely wanted to terminate Mr.Sellars, which they have a right to do, but they must give him 30 days’ notice which they did not do. It was an immediatetermination for failure to provide E&O coverage. Mr. Goodish gave Mr. Sellars time to sell his book of business so this changesany termination notice. A new Notice of Termination pursuant to clause 6.2 would have to be given. Consequently, with noproper termination notice, Mr. Sellars is entitled to the commission earned in July 2017.
I understand that there are no issues as tothe amounts involved being $9,249 as trail commission. [Emphasis added; paras. 16-22] [45] Second, the record does not support the identification of an independent cause of action that would establishentitlement to the July 2017 commissions. Thus, regardless of Mr.
Sellars’ comments regarding wrongful dismissal, the relief he soughtcould only flow from Equity’s obligations under the contract and/or an improper termination thereof, as the appeal judge determined wasthe case. [46] Consistent with the causes of action being the same, the basis for the damages claimed in this proceeding areMr. Sellars’ claims regarding Equity’s termination of his contract without “proper” notice and doing so in bad faith. The difference in theactions is the damages claimed in the current action are far more expansive than were claimed previously.
Quite simply, a cause ofaction, as defined by Black’s Law Dictionary, is “a group of operative facts giving rise to one or more bases for suing; a factual situationthat entitles one person to obtain a remedy in court from another person.” It is well established that “there is only one cause of action fora single wrongful or negligent act” (Kameka v. Williams, at para. 24, citing Cahoon v. Franks, (SCC), [1967] S.C.R.455, [1967] S.C.J.
No. 32 (QL)). [47] However, even if the present cause of action were different, it is so inextricably linked to the factual basis forthe first action, one would be compelled to conclude that it ought to have been brought at the same time, which is what the motion judgedecided. [48] Both actions put in issue Equity’s entitlement to terminate the Partner Contract and the required notice in doingso; this could lead to potentially inconsistent determinations.
They are based on the same facts; there are no new facts identified in thenew action, let alone new facts that could not have been discovered at the time of the first action. [49] Further, the current action is merely an effort to wrap a different legal framework around the record that wasadvanced in the small claims proceeding. After being terminated on April 10, 2017, Mr. Sellars received commissions to the end of June2017, and he sold his “book of business” in early August 2017. He sued for commissions attributable to July 2017 and, based onimproper notice of termination, he received what was requested.
In the current action, he seeks additional compensation followingtermination based on the claim that notice of termination was inadequate. [50] In conclusion, in my opinion, the
summary judgment decision to dismiss Mr. Sellars’ action based on resjudicata was not based on a failure to appreciate the distinction between his two actions, nor does it reflect an erroneous determinationthat the action could and, for the purposes of cause of action estoppel, ought to have been brought with the first. I would dismiss Mr.Sellars’ appeal.
(4) Equity’s Notice of Contention [51] Having concluded that I would dismiss Mr. Sellars’ appeal of the decision to dismiss his action, it isunnecessary to address Equity’s request to set aside the “purported reasons for decision rendered in the Cross Motion brought by [Mr.Sellars] […] in their entirety.” Additionally, it is worth noting that the motion judge’s alternate or provisional reasons did not result in anorder; the Formal Order dated August 8, 2022, provides that
(1) Equity’s motion to dismiss Sellars’ “action in its entirety” is allowed,and
(2) Mr. Sellars’ cross-motion “is dismissed without costs.” The judge’s comments in relation to the cross-motion are obiter.
IV. Disposition [ 52 ] For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,000 payable to Equity. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] James Sellars interjette appel du jugement
sommaire rejetant sa demande en dommages-intérêts découlant de la résiliation du contrat le désignant comme un agent non exclusif de vente de fonds communs de placement pour Equity Associates Inc. [2] Pour qu’une personne soit agréée pour la vente de fonds communs de placement au Nouveau-Brunswick, elle doit être parrainée par un courtier membre de l’Association canadienne des courtiers de fonds mutuels (l’Association), qui réglemente les courtiers et les personnes qui vendent des fonds communs de placement au Canada. Equity est une de ces courtières.
Les titulaires de licence doivent aussi maintenir une assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle. [3] Le 10 avril 2017, Equity a résilié le contrat de M. Sellars, résiliation qui a pris effet immédiatement, après avoir appris que la garantie d’assurance de ce dernier avait expiré le 30 mars 2017 et que sa demande ou ses demandes de renouvellement avaient été refusées. Même si M. Sellars a informé Equity le 11 avril 2017 qu’il avait réussi à souscrire une assurance, Equity n’a pas rétabli le contrat et a informé l’Association qu’elle ne le parrainait plus. Sans parrain, M.
Sellars ne pouvait plus vendre des fonds communs de placement ou continuer de conseiller ses clients. Pour lui donner le temps de vendre son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires » à un autre planificateur ou conseiller financier, Equity a accepté de ne pas racoler ses clients jusqu’au 30 juin 2017 ou jusqu’à la vente de son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires », selon l’événement qui surviendrait le premier. Equity a aussi accepté de verser à M. Sellars le montant habituel des commissions [TRADUCTION] « de suivi » liées aux comptes de ses clients pendant cette période.
Ces arrangements ont été conclus, du moins en partie, du fait que M. Sellars avait indiqué à Equity qu’il n’avait pas l’intention de chercher un nouveau parrain pour reprendre ses activités de vente de fonds communs de placement, mais qu’il avait plutôt l’intention de chercher à vendre son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires ». [4] Bien qu’Equity ait versé des commissions à M. Sellars jusqu’au 30 juin 2017, elle a refusé d’accéder à sa demande visant à ce qu’elle continue de les verser jusqu’en août 2017, soit à la clôture de la vente de son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires » à un autre agent d’Equity.
L’entente relative à la vente du [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires » de M. Sellars a été conclue le 5 juillet 2017. [5] En novembre 2017, M. Sellars a intenté une poursuite en petites créances afin de recouvrer les commissions du mois de juillet 2017. Il a obtenu gain de cause et, en octobre 2018, il a obtenu un jugement d’une somme excédant 10 000 $. [6] En mars 2019, M.
Sellars a intenté la présente poursuite, avançant qu’il était un employé d’Equity ou, subsidiairement, un entrepreneur dépendant et (1) que la résiliation de son contrat était injustifiée et que le retrait subséquent de son parrainage a entraîné une perte de la valeur de son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires » et de ses revenus futurs, (2) que le préavis donné à l’Association quant à la résiliation du contrat et le refus d’Equity de rétablir le contrat après que M.
Sellers ait souscrit une nouvelle police d’assurance étaient des actes de mauvaise foi, et (3) qu’il avait été forcé de vendre son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires » à un prix réduit. Il réclamait aussi, dans son action, des dommages-intérêts à Marsh Canada Limitée, sa courtière d’assurance, mais il s’est désisté de la poursuite intentée contre Marsh avant l’audience qui a mené à la décision dont appel. [7] L’action de M.
Sellars contre Equity a été rejetée par suite de l’application du principe de l’autorité de la chose jugée, sur le fondement de la conclusion du juge saisi de la motion selon laquelle sa demande aurait dû être présentée au moment de la poursuite en petites créances.
[8] L’argument de M. Sellers selon lequel le juge saisi de la motion a omis de reconnaître que sa présente cause d’action n’est pas la même que son action en recouvrement des commissions de juillet 2017 est au cœur du présent appel. Je rejetterais l’appel pour les motifs qui suivent. II. Contexte [9] L’industrie canadienne des fonds communs de placement est régie par l’Association en collaboration avec les organismes provinciaux de réglementation des valeurs mobilières, dont la Commission des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs du Nouveau-Brunswick (la Commission).
Pour obtenir une licence en vue de vendre des fonds communs de placement au Nouveau-Brunswick, une personne doit être parrainée par un courtier en fonds communs de placement qui est membre de l’Association et reconnu par la Commission. De plus, la personne doit être assurée. [10] M. Sellars a commencé à exercer en tant que conseiller financier en 1993. Il a obtenu une licence lui permettant de vendre des fonds communs de placement et, en 1996, il a obtenu la désignation de planificateur financier agréé.
En 1998, il a obtenu une licence lui permettant de vendre de l’assurance-vie, de l’assurance-accidents et de l’assurance-maladie. [11] Equity est inscrite auprès de l’Association à
titre de courtière faisant le commerce de titres de fonds communs de placement et d’une sélection d’autres valeurs mobilières, produits et services. Environ 170 conseillers financiers de partout au Canada participent à ses activités. A. Le contrat de partenariat [12] Equity a nommé M. Sellars comme agent non exclusif de vente de fonds communs de placement dans un contrat intitulé [TRADUCTION] « Contrat de partenariat avec Equity Associates Inc. » et daté du 24 octobre 2013 (le contrat de partenariat). Il est reconnu que le contrat ne lui conférait aucune participation à
titre de [TRADUCTION] « partenaire »; le terme, semble-t-il, visait plutôt à suggérer que l’agent avait atteint un certain niveau d’ancienneté auprès d’Equity. [13] M. Sellars soutient qu’il était un employé ou, à
titre subsidiaire, un entrepreneur dépendant . Equity affirme qu’il était un entrepreneur indépendant et que le contrat de partenariat prévoit expressément qu’il n’était pas un employé. [14] Le contrat prévoit que M.
Sellars : (1) est propriétaire de son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires », de sa liste de clients et de toutes les données électroniques ayant trait à ses clients; (2) ne peut pas exercer d’activités liées aux valeurs mobilières pour un autre courtier de valeurs mobilières; (3) doit consacrer tout son temps et son attention aux activités d’Equity, sauf pour exploiter des possibilités commerciales ou des occupations approuvées par Equity; et (4) est tenu de souscrire une assurance et de la maintenir en règle. Le contrat prévoit aussi qu’il peut être résilié moyennant un préavis de 30 jours. B.
L’échéance de l’assurance et la résiliation du contrat de partenariat [15] Pendant des années, M. Sellars souscrivait son assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle par l’entremise de Marsh Canada Limitée. Sa plus récente police devait expirer le 30 mars 2017. Il affirme avoir été surpris d’apprendre, à la mi-mars 2017, que Marsh était incapable de faire renouveler sa police d’assurance et qu’elle n’arrivait pas à trouver une telle assurance auprès d’un autre assureur. [16] Le 30 mars 2017, lorsqu’Equity a appris que M.
Sellars n’était plus assuré, elle l’a immédiatement avisé qu’il devait cesser d’exercer les activités d’un courtier de fonds communs de placement et qu’il ne pourrait les reprendre qu’après avoir souscrit une assurance. Equity a également informé M. Sellars qu’elle ne mettrait pas fin au contrat de partenariat s’il pouvait souscrire une assurance au plus tard le 7 avril 2017. [17] Il n’est pas nécessaire de faire un résumé détaillé de la preuve des efforts entrepris pour obtenir une assurance, tant avant qu’après le 30 mars 2017. Il suffit de savoir que, le 7 avril 2017, M.
Sellars n’avait pas encore réussi à souscrire une assurance.
[18] Le 10 avril 2017, Equity a donné à M. Sellars un avis écrit indiquant qu’elle résiliait le contrat, résiliation qui prenait effet immédiatement. [19] Le 11 avril 2017, M. Sellars a informé Equity qu’il avait réussi à souscrire une assurance et a demandé le rétablissement de son contrat. Le 17 avril 2017, il a fourni à Equity une preuve de la nouvelle garantie d’assurance, dont la date d’entrée en vigueur était le 1 er avril 2017. [20] En réponse à la demande de rétablissement de M.
Sellars, Equity a indiqué que la question n’était pas aussi simple qu’elle semblait étant donné que, pour rétablir le contrat de M. Sellars, il était aussi nécessaire que l’Association et la Commission rétablissent sa licence; Equity a laissé entendre que des plaintes qui avaient été portées compliqueraient les choses. [21] Quoi qu’il en soit, Equity a choisi de ne pas rétablir le contrat de partenariat et M. Sellars s’est trouvé dans la position l’obligeant soit à trouver un autre courtier de fonds communs de placement pour le parrainer soit à vendre son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires ».
Il a choisi la deuxième solution. Toutefois, il affirme que la résiliation injustifiée et le signalement immédiat ou prématuré à l’Association et à la Commission du problème quant à l’assurance l’ont forcé à le vendre et que le temps limité qui lui a été accordé l’a contraint à le faire à un prix réduit. [22] Pour donner à M. Sellars le temps de vendre son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires », Equity a accepté de ne pas racoler les clients de M.
Sellars et de ne pas permettre à ses autres agents de le faire, et ce, jusqu’au 30 juin 2017 ou jusqu’à ce qu’il vende son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires », selon l’événement qui surviendrait le premier. Étant donné que M. Sellars ne pouvait pas servir ses clients pendant cette période, Equity répondrait à leurs demandes et pourvoirait à leurs besoins en interne. En outre, Equity a accepté, pour cette période, de verser à M. Sellars les commissions [TRADUCTION] « de suivi » périodiques liées à ses clients. [23] Le 5 juillet 2017, M.
Sellars a conclu une entente avec un autre agent d’Equity, qui a accepté d’acheter son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires », la clôture de cette vente devant avoir lieu au début d’août 2017. C. La poursuite en petites créances [24] Pour souligner la distinction entre les actions, M. Sellars a mis l’accent devant nous sur le fait que l’action en petites créances ne présentait pas une réclamation en dommages-intérêts pour congédiement injustifié ou pour toute autre perte découlant de la résiliation du contrat de partenariat. Il soutient qu’elle présentait une cause d’action indépendante. [25] Dans sa demande, M.
Sellars a réclamé la somme de 9 781 $ au
titre du [TRADUCTION] « revenu gagné par [son] volume d’affaires [qui] n’avait pas été versé pour le mois de juillet 2017 ». Dans sa réponse, Equity a reconnu que le volume d’affaires de M. Sellars avait généré des commissions en juillet 2017. Toutefois, elle a demandé une compensation au
titre de ce qui constituait, selon elle, l’obligation contractuelle de M. Sellars de l’indemniser de ses frais de justice, de son temps d’administration et de sa perte de revenus, entre autres choses. L’adjudicateur a rejeté la demande de M. Sellars. [26] M. Sellars a déposé une demande d’appel par voie d’une nouvelle audience devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine (maintenant la Cour du Banc du Roi). Equity a déposé une réponse qui a été modifiée afin d’affirmer que M. Sellars n’avait [TRADUCTION] « aucun droit indépendant aux commissions générées par le volume d’affaires.
Tout droit aux commissions générées par le volume d’affaires découle des conditions du contrat de partenariat », qui a pris fin le 10 avril 2017. Par conséquent, soutient Equity, elle n’avait aucune obligation de payer des commissions au-delà de ce qu’elle avait expressément accepté de payer jusqu’à la fin de juin 2017. À
titre subsidiaire, Equity a réclamé une compensation des coûts supportés. [27] Le juge d’appel a décidé que M. Sellars avait droit aux commissions de juillet 2017, ainsi qu’aux intérêts antérieurs au jugement et aux dépens. [28] L’adjudicateur de la Cour des petites créances et le juge d’appel ont tous les deux indiqué que M. Sellars n’avait pas prétendu avoir fait l’objet d’un congédiement injustifié. L’adjudicateur a affirmé dans sa décision que M. Sellers, en contre-
interrogatoire, avait reconnu qu’il ne formait pas une demande pour congédiement injustifié ou pour perte de revenu du fait de ladécision d’Equity de résilier son contrat. De même, le juge d’appel a affirmé dans ses motifs (publiés à Sellars c. Equity Associates Inc., 2018 NBQB 174 , 2018 NBBR 174, [2018] A.N.-B. no 226 (QL)), que [TRADUCTION] « M. Sellars n’a pas intenté unepoursuite pour ce qu’on appelle souvent un [TRADUCTION] “congédiement injustifié”. Il poursuit Equity parce qu’il estime qu’il adroit aux [TRADUCTION] “commissions de suivi” pour le mois de juillet 2017 […] » (par. 7). D.
La présente action [29] L’exposé de la demande de M. Sellars, déposé en mars 2019, nomme à la fois Equity et Marsh Canada Limitéeen qualité de défenderesses.
Il fait valoir ce qui suit : (1) la résiliation de son contrat était injustifiée et le retrait de son parrainage qui en arésulté a causé une perte de la valeur de son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires » et de ses revenus futurs; (2) l’avis donné àl’Association de la résiliation du contrat et le refus d’Equity de rétablir le contrat, après qu’il eut plus tard souscrit l’assurance requise,constituaient de la mauvaise foi; et (3) il a été contraint à vendre son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires » à un prix réduit.
Sur lefondement de ces prétentions, il sollicite les dommages-intérêts suivants : 1) dommages-intérêts généraux (
i) à
titre d’indemnité tenant lieu de préavis équivalant à un préavis raisonnable; (ii) pour pertede revenus futurs causée par la résiliation précipitée, par Equity, de son parrainage au sein de l’Association; et (iii) pour la réduction derevenus, la perte de réputation, l’humiliation, la gêne et la souffrance émotive; 2) dommages-intérêts particuliers équivalant à la perte de valeur de son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires ». E. Les motions en jugement
sommaire et la décision du juge [30] En mars 2020, Equity a déposé une motion en jugement
sommaire rejetant l’action de M. Sellars sur lefondement du principe de la chose jugée, et en particulier des principes de la préclusion liée à la cause d’action et de l’abus de procédure. [31] En mai 2022, M. Sellars a déposé une motion incidente par laquelle il sollicitait (1) le rejet de la motiond’Equity ainsi que d’une motion semblable qui avait été déposée par Marsh, et (2) des dommages-intérêts d’Equity et de Marsh. [32] En juin 2022, il y a eu désistement de l’action contre Marsh et, le 27 juin 2022, les deux motions qui restaientont été entendues. Le juge saisi de la motion a accueilli la demande de jugement
sommaire d’Equity, rejetant l’action de M. Sellars dansson intégralité : [TRADUCTION] Notre Cour est d’avis que, dès que M. Sellars avait choisi de poursuivre Equity devant les tribunaux, même si c’était par la voie d’unepoursuite en petites créances, il aurait dû soulever toutes les […] questions ou tous les arguments qu’il voulait soulever et toutes lesviolations qu’Equity, selon lui, aurait commises.
Et s’il – en novembre 2017, lorsqu’il a choisi de procéder par voie de poursuite enpetites créances – s’il n’a pas soulevé tous les […] arguments ou […] toutes les questions relativement auxquels il sentait qu’il aurait[…] eu droit à une indemnisation, à une réparation ou à une mesure de redressement quelconque, étant donné que la poursuite en petitescréances, qui est limitée à 20 000 $, ne convenait pas, il n’aurait pas dû choisir de procéder sous le régime de […] la
Loi sur les petitescréances et aurait simplement dû faire valoir toutes les revendications qu’il voulait faire sans qu’il n’y ait de montant – de limite aumontant. […] Depuis le mois de juillet 2017, M. Sellars avait tous les renseignements, tous les événements ou incidents. Tout ce qui s’est passé, qu’ilplaide maintenant dans l’avis de poursuite qu’il a déposé le 7 mars 2019, tout cela avait eu lieu. Donc, il devait avoir connaissance et, s’ilne l’avait pas, […] ce manque de connaissance serait un manque de diligence.
Avec un minimum de diligence […], en novembre 2017,il avait tous les […] renseignements à sa disposition pour être en mesure de présenter toutes ses revendications, pour les faire valoir.
[33] De plus, comme le juge saisi de la motion l’a expliqué, dans l’éventualité où il avait tort de rejeter l’action deM. Sellars, il trancherait provisoirement la motion en jugement
sommaire de M. Sellars contre Equity. Il a décidé que M. Sellars était unentrepreneur dépendant, qui avait été congédié sans motif valable et qui avait droit au préavis de congédiement d’un mois prévu dans lecontrat. [34] L’appel interjeté par M. Sellars de la décision rejetant son action comprend aussi un appel de la décision dujuge saisi de la motion (relativement à sa motion incidente) selon laquelle il était un entrepreneur dépendant (et non un employé) et qu’iln’avait droit qu’à un préavis de 30 jours dans le cas d’un congédiement injustifié.
Étant donné que je suis d’avis de rejeter son appel de ladécision rejetant son action, je ne m’attarderai pas davantage sur ses autres moyens d’appel. [35] Equity a déposé un avis de désaccord dans lequel elle demande à notre Cour (1) de confirmer la décision derejeter l’action de M. Sellars et (2) d’annuler les [TRADUCTION] « prétendus motifs de la décision rendue dans le cadre de la motionincidente présentée par [M. Sellars] […] dans leur intégralité ». III. Analyse
(1) L’appel de M. Sellars [36] L’appel de M. Sellars repose sur son assertion selon laquelle le juge n’a pas reconnu la distinction entre sacause d’action actuelle et celle qu’il a poursuivie devant la Cour des petites créances. Les éléments de la préclusion liée à la caused’action ne sont pas contestés, et l’application des autres éléments en cause ne l’est pas non plus. [37] Je ne souscris pas à l’assertion selon laquelle la présente cause d’action est différente.
De plus, même si ellel’était, je suis d’avis que le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas commis d’erreur en décidant que les deux causes sont fondées sur la mêmeconduite reprochée et que la présente action aurait dû être intentée avec la première.
(2) Le principe de la chose jugée – la préclusion liée à la cause d’action [38] Les motifs de la décision du vice-chancelier Wigram dans Henderson c. Henderson (1843), 3 Hare 100, [1843-60] All E.R. Rep. 378, sont fréquemment cités comme étant fondamentaux en ce qui concerne le principe de common law de lapréclusion liée à la cause d’action et son application, non seulement aux questions tranchées dans le cadre d’une action antérieure, maisaussi à [TRADUCTION] « toutes les questions qui faisaient à juste
titre
partie de l’objet [du] litige et que les parties auraient pu souleverà ce moment-là si elles avaient fait preuve d’une diligence raisonnable » : [TRADUCTION] Pour trancher cette question, j’estime que j’énonce correctement le principe que le tribunal doit appliquer en disant que, lorsqu’unequestion déterminée fait l’objet d’un litige qui est du ressort d’un tribunal compétent, lequel est appelé à le trancher, le tribunal exige desparties au litige qu’elles présentent l’ensemble de leurs demandes et ne permettra pas aux mêmes parties (sauf circonstancesexceptionnelles) de rouvrir le débat sur des questions qui auraient pu être soulevées en même temps que l’objet du litige qui a été tranché,mais qui ne l’ont pas été uniquement parce qu’on a omis de les soulever par négligence, par inadvertance ou même par accident.L’argument fondé sur le principe de l’autorité de la chose jugée s’applique, sauf dans des cas particuliers, non seulement aux questionsau sujet desquelles la Cour était effectivement requise par les parties de former une opinion et de rendre un jugement, mais aussi à toutesles questions qui faisaient à juste
titre
partie de l’objet du litige et que les parties auraient pu soulever à ce moment-là si elles avaient faitpreuve d’une diligence raisonnable. [Soulignement ajouté; p. 114 et 115] Voir aussi Maynard c. Maynard, (SCC), [1951] S.C.R. 346, [1950] A.C.S. no 42 (QL), p. 358 et 359. [39] La portée de l’application de ce principe a été reconnue et appliquée par notre Cour dans l’arrêt Comeau et al. c. Breau et al. (1994), (NB CA), 145 R.N.-B. (2e) 329, [1994] A.N.-B. no 74 (QL), où le juge d’appel Ryan aexpliqué ce qui suit :
[TRADUCTION] Lorsque la préclusion liée à la cause d’action est soulevée, on doit invoquer une cause d’action complètement différente pour sesoustraire à l’application de cette règle. En d’autres termes, les faits sur lesquels le tribunal s’est appuyé pour tenir les Breauresponsables envers Comeau de la reprise fautive de l’entreprise de restauration étaient-ils essentiellement les mêmes que les faits enlitige dans la deuxième poursuite que l’on a voulu intenter? La réponse est « oui ».
Les faits constitutifs de la cause d’action en l’espècerestent les mêmes, que l’action soit fondée sur la responsabilité contractuelle ou sur la responsabilité délictuelle, et ce, même s’il est fortpossible que le redressement soit différent. […] Comme l’a dit le juge Crossley dans l’arrêt Melcor Developments Ltd. c. Edmonton (City) et al. (1982), (AB KB),37 A.R. 532, à la page 540, les parties ne doivent pas essayer d’engager « une poursuite par tranches ». D’après les faits dont nous sommes saisis en appel, la préclusion liée à la cause d’action s’applique.
De plus, certains élémentsconstitutifs présents dans les deux instances permettraient à un tribunal de statuer que la préclusion liée à une question en litiges’appliquait également. À strictement parler, toutefois, les actes préjudiciables des Breau n’ont pas été considérés comme des délitsindépendamment de leur lien avec la rupture de contrat. Mais ce n’est pas là le seul problème auquel M. Comeau est confronté. A-t-il faitpreuve de diligence lorsqu’il a initialement fait valoir ses prétentions?
LA DILIGENCE RAISONNABLE DANS LA PRÉSENTATION DE L’ENSEMBLE DES PRÉTENTIONS Un demandeur doit invoquer toutes les théories raisonnables et soulever tous les points précis dans la première action. Et, si de nouveauxfaits se font jour, il doit convaincre le tribunal que même en faisant preuve de diligence raisonnable, il n’aurait pas pu connaîtrel’existence de ces faits nouveaux. Dans l’arrêt Grandview c. Doering, (CSC), [1976] 2 R.C.S. 621; 7 N.R. 299, le jugeRitchie a mentionné quelles sont les responsabilités du demandeur qui introduit une action.
Voici ce qu’il a dit, à la page 638 : Il convient […] de souligner, d’une part, que l’intimé n’a pas allégué dans sa plaidoirie ni dans son affidavit qu’il lui avait été impossible,tout en étant diligent, de mettre de l’avant la théorie de la saturation du sol par le biais de la couche aquifère à l’époque de la premièreaction, et d’autre part, qu’il n’a pas affirmé que son omission de soulever ce point précis n’avait pas résulté [TRADUCTION] “d’unenégligence, d’une inadvertance ou même d’un accident”.
À mon avis, avant que l’intimé ne puisse invoquer le fait nouveau commefondement d’une deuxième action intentée contre l’appelante au regard du même comportement, il avait, à tout le moins, l’obligationd’alléguer qu’il lui avait été impossible, tout en exerçant une diligence raisonnable, de constater ce fait à l’époque où la première action aété intentée. Voir aussi l’arrêt Phosphate Sewage Company c. Molleson (1879), 4 App. Cas. 801, aux pages 814 et 815. [Soulignement ajouté; par. 27à 32] [40] Dans l’arrêt Kameka c. Williams, 2009 NSCA 107, [2009] N.S.J.
No. 470 (QL), la Cour d’appel de laNouvelle-Écosse s’est penchée sur la distinction nette entre une situation où il est conclu qu’une instance contestée est fondée sur lamême cause d’action qu’une action antérieure et une situation où la cause d’action est différente, mais aurait pu être soulevée.
Dans lapremière de ces situations, l’action a été jointe au jugement rendu dans la première instance; dans la seconde, il est nécessaire de décidersi elle aurait dû être soulevée et si le principe de la chose jugée devrait s’appliquer : [TRADUCTION] Pour déterminer si le principe de la préclusion liée au principe de la chose jugée peut s’appliquer de sorte à empêcher l’intimé depoursuivre de nouveau l’appelant, M.
Kameka, et comment il s’applique, il s’agit de savoir si la présente action se rapporte à la mêmecause d’action ou à une cause d’action différente (il n’y a certainement rien qui laisse entendre qu’il s’agit d’une cause d’actionentièrement nouvelle). S’il s’agit d’une cause d’action différente, il faudra tenir compte de la question de savoir si la
partie aurait dû lasoulever dans l’instance antérieure. Toutefois, si l’action est fondée sur la même cause d’action, celle-ci a été jointe au jugement quel’intimé a obtenu à la Cour des petites créances. [Soulignement ajouté; par. 22]
[41] La question de savoir si une question aurait dû être soulevée dépend des circonstances. En faisant valoir qu’il ne s’agit pas simplement de demander si les questions qui ont été soulevées dans la nouvelle action auraient pu être soulevées dans l’action antérieure, le juge d’appel Cromwell, tel était alors son titre, a expliqué ce qui suit dans l’arrêt Hoque c. Montreal Trust Co. of Canada , 1997 NSCA 153 , [1997] N.S.J.
No. 430 (QL) : [TRADUCTION] Il ressort de mon examen de ces précédents que, même s’ils renferment des déclarations très générales selon lesquelles toutes les questions qui auraient pu être soulevées sont interdites par application du principe de la préclusion liée à la cause d’action, en réalité, aucune de ces causes n’a démontré ce principe large. Dans chaque cause, il s’agissait de savoir si la
partie aurait dû soulever le point qu’elle soulève maintenant dans la seconde action.
La réponse à cette question repose sur un certain nombre de considérations, notamment si les nouvelles allégations sont incompatibles avec des questions effectivement tranchées dans la cause antérieure, si le point se rapporte à la même cause d’action ou à une cause d’action distincte, si une tentative est faite afin d’invoquer de nouveaux faits qui auraient pu être découverts par l’exercice d’une diligence raisonnable dans la cause antérieure, si la seconde action est simplement une tentative d’imposer une nouvelle conception juridique aux mêmes faits ou si la présente action constitue un abus de procédure. [Soulignement ajouté; par. 64 avec renvoi à QL]
(3) Aucune erreur de la part du juge saisi de la motion [42] Il y a deux raisons pour lesquelles je ne souscris pas à la prétention selon laquelle le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas reconnu que l’action à la Cour des petites créances était fondée sur une obligation de la part d’Equity qui était indépendante des obligations qui lui incombaient en application du contrat de partenariat et des faits qui ont donné naissance à la cause d’action actuelle, savoir la résiliation injustifiée du contrat. [43] Premièrement, cette assertion ne reflète pas le véritable fondement de l’action introduite auprès de la Cour des petites créances.
Malgré le fait qu’on a souligné clairement et à plusieurs reprises que M. Sellars avait reconnu ou admis qu’il n’avait pas intenté une poursuite en congédiement injustifié et que la question de savoir s’il avait été congédié abusivement n’avait pas été soumise à la Cour, le juge saisi de la motion a fini par décider que M. Sellars avait droit aux commissions de juillet 2017 en raison du défaut d’Equity de résilier le contrat avec [TRADUCTION] « un préavis suffisant de la résiliation ». La Cour ne s’est pas égarée. La question de savoir si le droit de M.
Sellars aux commissions de juillet 2017 était fondé sur le contrat était, en fait, soumise à la Cour. Equity a expressément soutenu qu’il n’y avait aucun accord au-delà de juin 2017 et que tout droit aux commissions provenant de son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires » pendant juillet 2017 découlait du contrat de partenariat. La reconnaissance du fait que M.
Sellers a admis qu’il ne plaidait pas le congédiement injustifié doit être interprétée comme une simple reconnaissance qu’il ne sollicitait pas des dommages-intérêts fondés sur la démarche habituelle, c’est-à-dire l’indemnité tenant lieu de préavis, laquelle exige que la Cour détermine le préavis raisonnable obligatoire de congédiement . [44] Quoi qu’il en soit, le succès obtenu par M.
Sellars quant à sa demande visant les commissions de juillet 2017 était fondé sur la conclusion du juge selon laquelle Equity n’avait pas respecté ses obligations en matière de préavis découlant du contrat de partenariat lorsqu’elle a mis fin au mandat de M. Sellars. Le juge d’appel s’est exprimé ainsi : [TRADUCTION] ANALYSE Comme je l’ai mentionné ci-dessus, Equity a rédigé le contrat de partenariat. Par conséquent, toute ambiguïté dans le libellé du contrat doit être interprétée contre Equity. À
titre d’observation générale, le contrat est relativement simple. Toutefois, la Cour n’est saisie que de la question de savoir si M. Sellars a droit à une
partie ou à l’ensemble des commissions de juillet. La question de savoir si M. Sellars a fait l’objet d’un congédiement injustifié n’a pas été soumise à notre Cour. Selon mon point de vue sur cette question, deux clauses se démarquent : les clauses 3.3(
c) et 6.2 du contrat de partenariat ainsi que leur importance relativement à la situation de fait. À l’origine, M. Sellars ne pouvait pas renouveler sa police d’assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle. À l’époque, il essayait très fort d’obtenir une garantie et il l’a subséquemment obtenue le 11 avril 2017. Comme il est indiqué dans la pièce 3, M. Goodish a dit que, [TRADUCTION] « [p]our ce qui est de votre rétablissement si vous obtenez une garantie la semaine prochaine, je devrai y réfléchir. […] Voyons ce qui se passera d’ici vendredi et je réfléchirai ensuite au processus de rétablissement. »
Cinq jours plus tard, le contrat de M. Sellars est résilié parce qu’il n’avait pas d’assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle. Le lendemain, M. Sellars obtient la garantie (pièce 10) et il a semblé approprié d’antidater la garantie de sorte qu’elle remonte à la police antérieure. Fait intéressant, la première réponse à la demande de M. Sellars laisse entendre qu’il existait un droit de compensation pour les [TRADUCTION] « frais de justice, le temps d’administration et la perte de revenus causés par l’inconduite et les omissions chroniques du défendeur tout au long de la relation de trois ans ».
À l’heure actuelle, le congédiement est attribuable à
l’absence d’assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle. Il ressort d’une lecture de la clause 3.3(
c) que le contrat de partenariat ne prendrait effet qu’à l’entrée en vigueur d’une telle assurance.Cette obligation a été respectée et le contrat a été en vigueur pendant un certain nombre d’années. La clause indique par la suite que lepartenaire devrait fournir une preuve d’assurance chaque année, au moment du renouvellement de son inscription. La clause 6.2 prévoit qu’Equity peut résilier le contrat de partenariat en tout temps, moyennant un préavis écrit de 30 jours. La lettre derésiliation est datée du 10 avril 2017 et ne constitue pas un préavis de 30 jours.
La raison déclarée de la résiliation est le fait quel’assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle n’est pas disponible. Toutefois, quelques jours plus tard, elle était en vigueur etantidatée de sorte à couvrir la période pendant laquelle il n’y avait aucune garantie. La clause 6, qui renferme les dispositions ayant traità la résiliation, ne prévoit rien relativement à une résiliation pour défaut d’obtenir une assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle. Parconséquent, nous retournons à la clause 3.3(
c) pour voir si elle traite de la résiliation. Les précédents mettent les juges en garde d’interpréter la clause en question en lui donnant son sens ordinaire et, d’après les faits de laprésente affaire, les ambiguïtés devraient être résolues à l’encontre d’Equity parce qu’elle a rédigé le contrat. Selon mon interprétation du contrat, les dispositions ayant trait à la résiliation exigent qu’un préavis de 30 jours soit donné à M. Sellars.La clause 3.3(
c) exige que M. Sellars ait une assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle et M. Goodish lui a accordé un délai pourqu’il l’obtienne. On pourrait croire que le préavis visé par les dispositions ayant trait à la résiliation aurait dû être donné 30 jours avant laprise d’effet de la résiliation ou que la clause ayant trait à l’assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle aurait dû contenir desdispositions plus précises quant à la résiliation suivant la perte de la garantie d’assurance. Je ne vois rien de cela dans la clause 3.3(c), cequi est conjugué au fait qu’Equity a accordé un délai à M.
Sellars pour qu’il obtienne une garantie d’assurance responsabilité civileprofessionnelle, ce qu’il a fait, cette garantie étant antidatée au jour où il a perdu la garantie antérieure. Il me semble, compte tenu de la preuve et de la première réponse déposée par Equity, qu’Equity voulait simplement résilier le contratde M. Sellars, ce qu’elle a le droit de faire, mais elle devait lui donner un préavis de 30 jours, ce qu’elle n’a pas fait. Il s’agissaitd’une résiliation immédiate pour défaut de souscrire une assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle. M. Goodish a accordé àM.
Sellars un délai pour vendre son volume d’affaire, ce qui modifie donc tout préavis de résiliation. Un nouveau préavis derésiliation conforme à la clause 6.2 aurait dû être donné. Par conséquent, comme il n’y a eu aucun préavis suffisant de larésiliation, M. Sellars a droit à la commission touchée en juillet 2017. Je comprends que le montant de la commission de suivi, qui estde 9 249 $, n’est pas en litige. [Gras et soulignement ajoutés; par. 16 à 22] [45] Deuxièmement, le dossier n’étaye pas la définition d’une cause d’action indépendante qui établirait un droitaux commissions de juillet 2017.
Donc, malgré les observations de M. Sellars au sujet du congédiement injustifié, la réparation qu’ilsollicitait ne pouvait découler que des obligations d’Equity prévues au contrat ou de la résiliation inappropriée de celui-ci, ce qui était lecas selon les conclusions du juge d’appel. [46] De manière concordante avec le fait qu’il s’agit de la même cause d’action, le fondement des dommages-intérêts réclamés en l’espèce est les prétentions de M. Sellars concernant le fait qu’Equity a résilié son contrat sans préavis[TRADUCTION] « suffisant » et de mauvaise foi.
Les actions diffèrent du fait que les dommages-intérêts réclamés dans la présenteaction sont beaucoup plus importants que ceux qui avaient été réclamés antérieurement. En termes simples, une cause d’action, selon ladéfinition du Black’s Law Dictionary, est [TRADUCTION] « un groupe de faits pertinents donnant naissance à une ou à plusieursraisons de poursuivre; une situation de fait dont l’existence donne à une personne le droit d’obtenir réparation contre une autre devant lestribunaux ».
Il est bien établi qu’ [TRADUCTION] « il n’existe qu’une seule cause d’action pour un seul acte fautif ou négligent » (Kameka c. Williams, au par. 24, citant Cahoon c.
Franks, (SCC), [1967] S.C.R. 455, [1967] A.C.S. no 32 (QL)). [47] Cela dit, même si la présente cause d’action était différente, elle est si inextricablement liée au fondementfactuel de la première action qu’on serait obligé de conclure qu’elle aurait dû être intentée en même temps, et c’est ce que le juge saisi dela motion a décidé. [48] Les deux actions ont mis en cause le droit d’Equity de résilier le contrat de partenariat et le préavis requis pource faire; cela pourrait mener à des conclusions potentiellement incohérentes.
Elles sont fondées sur les mêmes faits; aucun nouveau faitn’a été relevé dans la nouvelle action, et encore moins un nouveau fait qui n’aurait pas pu être découvert à l’époque de la premièreaction.
[49] De plus, la présente action est tout simplement un effort d’envelopper d’un cadre juridique différent le dossier qui a été présenté à la Cour des petites créances. Après avoir été congédié le 10 avril 2017, M. Sellars a touché des commissions jusqu’à la fin de juin 2017 et a vendu son [TRADUCTION] « volume d’affaires » au début août 2017. Il a intenté une poursuite pour obtenir les commissions attribuables au mois de juillet 2017 et, du fait qu’il avait reçu un préavis insuffisant de la résiliation, il a reçu ce qu’il sollicitait.
Dans la présente action, il sollicite une indemnisation supplémentaire du fait de la résiliation, demande qu’il fonde sur la prétention selon laquelle le préavis de résiliation était insuffisant. [50] En conclusion, à mon avis, le jugement
sommaire rejetant l’action de M. Sellars sur le fondement du principe de la chose jugée n’était pas fondé sur un défaut de reconnaître la distinction entre ses deux actions et ne reflète pas non plus l’existence d’une conclusion erronée selon laquelle l’action pouvait être présentée en même temps que la première et, pour les besoins de la préclusion liée à la cause d’action, aurait dû l’être. Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel de M. Sellars.
(4) L’avis de désaccord d’Equity [51] Ayant conclu que je rejetterais l’appel interjeté par M. Sellars de la décision rejetant son action, il m’est inutile de traiter de la demande d’Equity visant à annuler les [TRADUCTION] « prétendus motifs de la décision rendue dans le cadre de la motion incidente présentée par [M. Sellars] […] dans leur intégralité ». De plus, il convient de souligner que les motifs subsidiaires ou provisoires n’ont pas donné lieu à une ordonnance. L’ordonnance formelle datée du 8 août 2022 prévoit (1) que la motion d’Equity visant à faire rejeter [TRADUCTION] « l’action [de M.
Sellars] dans son intégralité » est accueillie et (2) que la motion incidente de M. Sellars [TRADUCTION] « est rejetée sans dépens ». Les observations du juge concernant la motion incidente sont des remarques incidentes. IV. Dispositif [52] Pour les motifs qui précèdent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et d’adjuger des dépens de 2 000 $ à Equity.