2017 NBCA 25, 2017 NBCA 25
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 32-16-CA A.L. APPELLANT A.L. APPELANT - and - - et - J.N. RESPONDENT J.N. INTIMÉE A.L. v. J.N., 2017 NBCA 25 A.L. c.
J.N., 2017 NBCA 25 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: April 21, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 21 avril 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2016 NBQB 80 Décision frappée d’appel : 2016 NBQB 80 , 2016 NBBR 80 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: January 31, 2017 Appel entendu : le 31 janvier 2017 Judgment rendered: June 8, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 8 juin 2017
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Patrick E. Hurley, Q.C. and Sabrina Winters For the respondent: Mary-Eileen O’Brien and Kendra Hobart Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Patrick E. Hurley, c.r. et Sabrina Winters Pour l’intimée : Mary-Eileen O’Brien et Kendra Hobart THE COURT The appeal is dismissed, with costs of $3,500.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 3 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The subject matter of this appeal is the imputation of income to a recipient spouse for the purposes of calculating spousal support, and specifically the imputation of income based on intentional unemployment, and/or the receipt of monetary gifts from family members and a new partner. In the circumstances of this case, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division, exercised her judicial discretion in concluding an imputation was not warranted.
The payor spouse disagrees with that disposition, and appeals the application judge’s decision. For the reasons which follow, I would dismiss his appeal. II. Background [ 2 ] The parties met in 1996, and began to cohabitate in Ottawa in February 1997. They married in December 2002, and separated in August 2012. The couple has one child, born in April 2003.
[ 3 ] Changes in employment and pursuit of new opportunities caused the parties to relocate on more than one occasion. From Ottawa, they moved to Toronto, then to Florenceville, New Brunswick, and finally to St. Andrews, New Brunswick, where they both continue to reside. [ 4 ] From birth, the child’s primary caregiver was (and remains) the respondent mother. The application judge awarded the parties joint custody, with the child’s residence being with the respondent, and having generous access on a specified
schedule with the appellant father. These aspects of the application judge’s order are unchallenged, and do not feature in this appeal. [ 5 ] For the purposes of understanding the rationale for the application judge’s decision, it is essential to have at least a general understanding of the educational, employment, and (in the case of the respondent) health background of the parties. I borrow freely from the facts as found by the application judge. [ 6 ] The appellant was 48 years of age at the time of the application judge’s decision.
He obtained a degree in Political Science and Economics from a Nova Scotia university in 1989, after which he spent an additional year at a university in France studying French. Upon returning to New Brunswick, the appellant went to work for the provincial government, and later began working for a provincial political party. In 1996, he accepted a position with a federal Member of Parliament, and moved to Ottawa.
Following the 1997 general election, the appellant began working with a different federal cabinet minister, in a position which required significant travel. [ 7 ] In 1999, the appellant went to work in Toronto for a New Brunswick based multinational food corporation. The parties relocated to Toronto, and after ten months, moved back to New Brunswick when the appellant accepted a new position in this province with the same company. In June of 2003, that employment was terminated, and the appellant received a severance package.
The couple and their infant child stayed with the respondent’s parents for a time, and then moved to St. Andrews, and lived in an apartment owned by the appellant’s parents. [ 8 ] Unbeknownst to the respondent, the appellant decided to purchase a restaurant in St. Andrews, even though he had no experience operating such a business. A second restaurant was acquired in the same community the following year. Although there was some initial success attached to these ventures, by 2006 the restaurants were not faring well.
The appellant testified that he began looking for alternate employment, and attempted to sell the restaurants. In 2007, the appellant went to work for a small aquaculture operation, and by the spring of 2009, the restaurants were both closed. A further setback occurred in the fall of 2010 when the appellant accepted another severance package and was again without work. His fortunes changed when he took a management level position with a major aquaculture company in January 2011, an employment relationship which is ongoing. The accepted figure for the appellant’s income in 2016 was $120,000.
The previous year, as the result of a bonus, his income was $133,200. [ 9 ] Turning to the respondent, she was 50 years of age at the time of the application judge’s decision. She graduated from high school in 1982, and subsequently attended a New Brunswick university for a period of two years, but did not obtain a degree. She then enrolled in a business college and completed a two-year executive secretary program. For a brief time, the respondent worked in a New Brunswick law firm, and then relocated to Toronto and did similar work there.
In the early 1990s, the respondent went to work for a New Brunswick Member of Parliament, and continued in that role until 1997. By this time, as noted above, she and the appellant were cohabitating. [ 10 ] In 2003, following the birth of their child, the respondent became the primary caregiver, a role which continued “throughout the remainder of the marriage”. But for some minor exceptions, the application judge found she “did not work outside the home after that”.
For his part, the appellant was, in the words of the application judge, the “family’s sole income earner”. [ 11 ] The respondent was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2010, and underwent double mastectomy surgery in August of that year. There were complications, which led to further surgeries. The ongoing impact of this significant illness continued up to and beyond the hearing of the application. [ 12 ] On August 31, 2012, the parties separated. The respondent left the family apartment, and moved into different rental accommodations in St. Andrews. Their child resided with her.
The appellant continued to live in the apartment owned by his parents.
[ 13 ] The respondent filed an Application for Divorce (Form 81A) on July 30, 2013, seeking a divorce, an order for joint custody of the child with the respondent having primary residential care and the child having reasonable access with the appellant, retroactive child support, a sharing of special expenses, retroactive spousal support, health insurance, the respondent being maintained as the beneficiary of the appellant’s life insurance policies, and an equal division of marital property.
In his Answer filed March 28, 2014, the appellant contested or was silent on most of these points, save for the request for a divorce. A settlement conference held in August 2015 was unsuccessful. In February 2016, the court heard and granted a motion brought by the appellant compelling the respondent to produce certain banking records. The matter proceeded to trial later that same month, and the decision presently under appeal was rendered in April 2016. III. Issues [ 14 ] Of the five grounds set out in the Notice of Appeal, three were abandoned in the written submission.
This was confirmed by counsel at the outset of the hearing. He chose (wisely, in my opinion) not to challenge findings with respect to entitlement to spousal support, retroactive spousal support, or the nature of the respondent’s new relationship. [ 15 ] Two issues remain. The appellant argues the application judge erred:
a) in holding the respondent was not intentionally unemployed, and in not imputing income to her for the purposes of calculating spousal support; and
b) in holding no income should be imputed to the respondent for the purposes of calculating spousal support as a result of gifts she received from members of her family and her new partner. IV. Law and Analysis A. Imputation of Income [ 16 ]
Section 19 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines makes provision for a court to impute income to an individual in certain circumstances, enumerated as follows:
(1) The court may impute such amount of income to a spouse as it considers appropriate in the circumstances, which circumstances include the following: (
a) the spouse is intentionally under-employed or unemployed, other than where the under- employment or unemployment is required by the needs of a child of the marriage or any child under the age of majority or by the reasonable educational or health needs of the spouse; (
b) the spouse is exempt from paying federal or provincial income tax; (
c) the spouse lives in a country that has effective rates of income tax that are significantly lower than those in Canada; (
d) it appears that income has been diverted which would affect the level of child support to be determined under these Guidelines; (
e) the spouse’s property is not reasonably utilized to generate income; (
f) the spouse has failed to provide income information when under a legal obligation to do so; (
g) the spouse unreasonably deducts expenses from income; (
h) the spouse derives a significant portion of income from dividends, capital gains or other sources that are taxed at a lower rate than employment or business income or that are exempt from tax; and (
i) the spouse is a beneficiary under a trust and is or will be in receipt of income or other benefits from the trust. 19
(1) Le tribunal peut attribuer à l’époux le montant de revenu qu’il juge indiqué, notamment dans les cas suivants :
a) l’époux a choisi de ne pas travailler ou d’être sous-employé, sauf s’il a fait un tel choix lorsque l’exigent les besoins d’un enfant à charge ou de tout autre enfant mineur ou des circonstances raisonnables liées à sa santé ou la poursuite d’études par lui;
b) il est exempté de l’impôt fédéral ou provincial;
c) il vit dans un pays où les taux d’imposition effectifs sont considérablement inférieurs à ceux en vigueur au Canada;
d) des revenus semblent avoir été détournés, ce qui aurait pour effet d’influer sur le montant de l’ordonnance alimentaire à déterminer en application des présentes lignes directrices;
e) les biens de l’époux ne sont pas raisonnablement utilisés pour gagner un revenu;
f) il n’a pas fourni les renseignements sur le revenu qu’il est légalement tenu de fournir;
g) il déduit de façon déraisonnable des dépenses de son revenu;
h) il tire une portion considérable de son revenu de dividendes, de gains en capital ou d’autres sources qui sont imposés à un taux moindre que le revenu d’emploi ou d’entreprise ou qui sont exonérés d’impôt;
i) il reçoit ou recevra un revenu ou d’autres avantages à
titre de bénéficiaire d’une fiducie. [ 17 ] The parties agree the decision to impute income is discretionary in nature, as evidenced by
Parliament’s use of the word “may”. That said, they clearly disagree over the application judge’s exercise of her discretion in this case. [18] With respect to the applicable standard of review, both parties cite this Court’s decision inT.D.L. v. A.-G.L., 2014 NBCA 57, 423 N.B.R. (2d) 359: This Court has identified the applicable standard of review in family law cases on numerous occasions, to the extent it is not necessary toelaborate upon the standard yet again. Suffice to say that considerable deference is owed to trial judges on matters such as custody,access and spousal support.
The jurisprudence on point was recently summarized by Larlee J.A. in Brooks v. Brooks, 2014 NBCA 29,[2014] N.B.J. No. 112 (QL): In family law matters, this Court takes the view that it must show considerable deference to the decisions in first instance. In MacDonaldv. MacDonald, 2011 NBCA 25, 372 N.B.R. (2d) 179, leave to appeal to S.C.C. refused, [2011] S.C.C.A. No. 237, the Court stated thefollowing: The standard of review that applies to family matters generally is that the judge’s decision must be given considerable deference.
Anappellate court is empowered to set aside or vary a decision or order where it is the product of an error of law, an error in principle, asignificant misapprehension of the evidence or if it is clearly wrong [...]. [para. 7] This principle has been iterated in our decisions: P.R.H. v. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 N.B.R. (2d) 100, at paras. 8 and 9; Smith v.Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208, at para. 10; Doiron v. Wilcox, 2012 NBCA 70, 393 N.B.R. (2d) 183, at paras. 9 to 11;C.M.H. v. J.R.H., 2012 NBCA 71, 393 N.B.R. (2d) 154, at para. 8; and Sangster v. Sangster, 2014 NBCA 14, [2014] N.B.J.
No. 60 (QL),at para. 3. In MacLean v.
MacLean, 2004 NBCA 75, 274 N.B.R (2d) 90, the Court explained the standard when reviewing supportorders: Despite the ostensibly wide powers conferred upon appellate courts by s. 21(5) [of the Divorce Act], the proper approach to appellatereview of spousal support orders requires that an appellant court give considerable deference to the decision of the trial judge. [...] Thus,appellate courts are instructed that they “should not overturn support orders unless the reasons disclose an error in principle, a significantmisapprehension of the evidence, or unless the award is clearly wrong”: see Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518 atpara. 11. [...] [para. 22] [19] As an appellate court, we are only justified in interfering with a discretionary order issued by anapplication judge if said order is founded upon an error of law, an error in the application of the governing principles or a palpable andoverriding error in the assessment of the evidence (see Smith v.
Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208 and Lang v. Lang, [2007]N.B.J. No. 348 (QL), among others). I am not satisfied any of those errors occurred in this case. I will briefly elaborate, considering eachof the two grounds of appeal in turn. B.
Imputation of Income – Intentional Unemployment or Underemployment [20] The key findings of the application judge on the issue of the respondent’s alleged intentionalunemployment or underemployment are as follows: The respondent argues the applicant should be imputed an income in the range of $30,000.00 per year on the basis that she isintentionally unemployed, and it is not required by the needs of the child or by her reasonable education or health needs, as set out insection 19 of the Child Support Guidelines. […] […] The applicant’s education and training included her executive secretarial course in the late 1980s and employment in the 1990s, as a legalsecretary and as a political assistant.
This was almost 20 years ago. With respect to the applicant’s role with the restaurant, I accept herevidence that she was not as involved in the day to day operations as the respondent would suggest she was. She did on occasion help outwhen she was at the restaurant, serving coffee and doing dishes, and she baked pies when needed.
The respondent testified he encouraged the applicant to look for work during the relationship. However, the applicant did not obtain any type of steady employment, with the exception of some event work and a two-week period when she worked on an election campaign. The applicant experienced a significant health event in 2010 leading to several surgeries. These have had an effect on her. She testified that she has low energy, and she is going through menopause and is unable to take estrogen supplements. The Court [takes note of] the words of Justice Wooder in Cavanaugh v.
Cavanaugh , 2008 NBQB 387 : (40.) As to the promotion of Mrs. Cavanaugh’s economic self-sufficiency, it is questionable whether she will ever achieve independence in that respect. (41.) It would have been helpful had the court received medical evidence from Mrs. Cavanaugh’s treating physician(s). However, our Court of Appeal has said that such evidence is not necessary where the party is speaking to his or her own state of health. In Scott v.
Scott, 2004 CarswellNB 587, Richard, J. held as follows at paragraph 53: The spousal support order necessarily involved the exercise of considerable discretion by the motions judge who needed to balance the objectives and factors set out in the Divorce Act with an appreciation of the particular facts of the case. I am unable to find where her reasons for the spousal support award disclose an error in principle, a significant misapprehension of the evidence, or are clearly wrong. The motions judge was entitled to accept, as she did, the evidence of Mrs. Scott concerning her own health and her ability to work.
The judge was also entitled to draw an inference from Ms. Scott’s current situation and her past ability to earn income and to accordingly determine an amount of residual earning capacity. In Vaughan v. Vaughan , 2014 NBCA 6 , 2014 CarswellNB 41, the Court of Appeal stated the following with respect to the trial judge’s decision to impute some income to the wife: 15 …With respect to Mrs. Vaughan, there was absolutely no evidence that the $6,000 imputed to her was from an income producing asset from the marriage.
In imputing income to her, the judge believed she was able to find employment for one third of the year at minimum wage. Not only was there no evidence to support this imputation, but Mrs. Vaughan was also not obliged to accept minimum wage part-time work. She had suffered a substantial economic disadvantage from the marriage and its breakdown. Mrs. Vaughan had been removed from the workforce for far too long to consider that she would ever establish any measure of self-sufficiency (see Flieger v. Adams , 2012 NBCA 39 , 387 N.B.R. (2d) 322).
In my view there is no evidence to support a finding that the applicant is intentionally unemployed. Even if the respondent wanted the applicant to work during the marriage, the reality was that the applicant was primarily responsible for caring for the child with the responsibilities that accompany that role. She did not work outside the home. She would undoubtedly require retraining to upgrade her skills in order to obtain employment, let alone earn in the range of $30,000.00 per year, as the respondent suggests.
Her health, limited work experience and outdated training and education, and her ongoing role as the primary caregiver for the parties’ child, all mitigate against a finding that income should be imputed to her. [paras. 116-121] [ 21 ] Wherein lies the error? I see none. The application judge carefully reviewed the evidence before her, applied the applicable law to the facts, and concluded there was no basis for a finding the respondent on appeal was intentionally unemployed. Her finding strikes me as eminently reasonable, and grounded in the evidence.
Reading the decision as a whole, it is clear to me the application judge gave weight to the respondent’s health problems, her battle with cancer and the numerous surgeries that entailed. There was little if any context provided to the application judge in support of the request to impute an annual income of $30,000. Had the request been for a lesser amount, and buttressed by clear evidence of the employment situation and opportunities in the community in which the respondent lives, the outcome may have been different, but that is speculative at best.
On that point, it is worth noting the observations of Professors Carol Rogerson and Rollie Thompson in Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines: The Revised User’s Guide , April 2016: Everyone wants to impute a higher income to the other spouse, either to increase or decrease spousal support. Once we use income-based advisory guidelines, it is obvious that a higher income for the payor will move the range upwards, or a higher income for the recipient will move the range downwards. Attempts to impute income have now become common, often with little evidentiary foundation.
Section 19 of the Child Support Guidelines is often the basis for these imputing claims. It is worth remembering that s. 19 is a mixture of
two kinds of “imputing”: a number of clauses that can be described more accurately as “attributing” income to the payor, income that thepayor actually receives in some form, as contrasted to s. 19(1)(a), for example, where a court can truly “impute” income to the payor,even if he or she is unemployed or underemployed. Most of s. 19(1) focusses upon attributing income to a spouse, in an effort to treatvarious types of income and situations so as to put the spouse on an equal footing with a wage or salary earning employee, i.e. s. 19(1)(b)to (
e) and (
g) to (i). True imputing takes place under s. 19(1)(a) (and possibly under s. 19(1)(f)), where a court must determine thehypothetical income a spouse might earn. There must be an evidentiary basis to attribute or impute income under s. 19(1). Where a spouse is not employed, but should be workingpart-time or full-time under s. 19(1)(a), it is straightforward to impute a minimum wage income, as a court can take judicial noticeof the minimum wage in the jurisdiction. To prove that a spouse could earn more than the minimum, evidence will be needed. The case law under s. 19(1)(
a) will be helpful, e.g. Drygala v. Pauli (2002), (ON CA), 61 O.R. (3d) 711 (Ont.C.A.). In many cases, it will be difficult to prove how much a spouse ought to be able to earn. It may be easier to just argue location within therange for amount, to go lower in the range if the recipient’s income is in issue or to go higher in the range if it is the payor’s income.
In many cases where not much imputed income is involved, imputing additional income will not move the range much, which meansconsiderable overlap between the range for actual income and the range for the desired imputed income, as is discussed in the nextsection. Or, where the payor has a high income, imputing a part-time or full-time minimum wage income to the recipient will not movethe range much.
In these instances, it might be better to concede the time-consuming proof of income, and then argue location in therange. [pp. 19-20] [22] The application judge chose not to exercise her discretion and impute income to the respondent,and I would not interfere. In my opinion, the first ground of appeal should be dismissed. C. Imputation of Income – Gifts [23] The appellant requested that the application judge impute income to the respondent on the basisof receipt of ongoing monetary gifts.
He grounds his argument in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice’s decision in the Horowitz v.Nightingale, 2015 ONSC 190, [2015] O.J. No. 99 (QL). The application judge rejected his request, rightly in my opinion, and easilydistinguished Horowitz. [24] The facts in Horowitz saw the court impute to a payor spouse additional income of $50,000annually for the purposes of calculating child and spousal support.
This equated to the amount the payor spouse received as a gift fromfamily members in each of eight consecutive years. [25] The court in Horowitz cited and relied on the Ontario Court of Appeal decision in Bak v. Dobell,2007 ONCA 304, [2007] O.J.
No. 1489 (QL), which enumerated factors to be considered when adjudicating upon whether or not toinclude gifts as income: Although it seems the legislature intentionally did not include the receipt of gifts given in the normal course in presumptive income, or asan example of an appropriate circumstance under s. 19(1), a court will consider whether the circumstances surrounding the particular giftare so unusual that they constitute an “appropriate circumstance” in which to impute income.
In considering whether it is appropriate to include the receipt of unusual gifts in income, a court will consider a number of factors.
Thosefactors will include the regularity of the gifts; the duration of their receipt; whether the gifts were part of the family’s income duringcohabitation that entrenched a particular lifestyle; the circumstances of the gifts that earmark them as exceptional; whether the gifts domore than provide a basic standard of living; the income generated by the gifts in proportion to the payor’s entire income; whether theyare paid to support an adult child through a crisis or period of disability; whether the gifts are likely to continue; and the true purpose andnature of the gifts.
Clearly, on the facts of this case the amounts provided by William Dobell to the respondent are not gifts given “in the normal course” to
mark a special occasion.
This is apparent from the circumstances of the gifts, including the quantum, regularity, and duration of the periodic payments, as well as the fact that they provided the sole means of support for the respondent, and at least to some extent for his unemployed partner. [paras. 74-76] [ 26 ] The application judge in this instance reviewed the nature of the gifts received, and the circumstances surrounding the giving and the receipt thereof, and reached the following conclusion: In the period of time for which the applicant’s bank statements have been produced, the applicant received substantial monetary amounts as gifts from her sister and then from [her new partner].
However, there is no evidence there was a pattern or history of gifts during the marriage, as there was in the Horowitz case. The only evidence of the family gifting money during the marriage is the $40,000.00 gift in 2002. While a significant amount, it was not part of a yearly pattern. The Court in Horowitz found it appropriate to attribute additional income from the gifts because of the fact there had been a pattern of such gifts being received and used for family purposes during the relationship.
The funds were “part of the family income and contributed to the lifestyle they came to enjoy”. [The gifts from her new partner] came after the separation, and were not part of the family income. I therefore decline to attribute income to the applicant, on the basis of gifts from family. [paras. 129-130] [ 27 ] To be clear, the gifts in question came from members of the respondent’s family and her new partner. The $40,000 received in 2002 was a one-time gift from her parents which coincided with the anticipated arrival of the parties’ child.
The application judge specifically rejected the appellant’s claim that his former spouse had access to family trust monies. The other family gifts, from the respondent’s sister, were originally advanced as loans. The total amount received in 2012-2013 was $30,000. As referenced by the application judge in her reasons for decision, the respondent testified that her sister “supported her efforts to leave the marriage and find a residence for herself and the child” (para. 124). The gifts from the respondent’s new partner totaled $24,000 in the period between September 2013 and July 2014.
In the thirteen months leading up to the hearing, according to her testimony, she received an additional $10,000. [ 28 ] The analytical framework set out in Bak v. Dobell is useful, although in my opinion should not be viewed as exhaustive. In her reasons, the application judge touches upon certain of the criteria, others being clearly inapplicable. Viewed through that lens, the arguments advanced by the appellant are lacking, and the application judge was not persuaded the monetary gifts received by the respondent could provide the necessary underpinning for an imputation of income.
Almost all of the money was received after the date of separation, not during the course of the marriage. The monies provided by the sister appear to have been triggered solely by the marital breakdown, and were designed to help ease the financial impact of the separation. As for the amounts gifted by the respondent’s new partner, the application judge could find no foundation for any legal obligation that such payments would continue. To that end, the application judge found as follows: In the case before me, the applicant and [her new partner] appear to be in a committed relationship. It is an intimate one.
It has been ongoing for over three years. They do not share a residence. […] […] The applicant and [her new partner] maintain their own residences in different provinces. They do not appear to have merged their finances, although [he] is generous with his money towards the applicant. There is no evidence that they hold themselves out as common-law spouses. The fact that [her new partner] is purchasing the property the applicant lives in does raise questions for the court, as noted earlier.
However, on the facts before me, I find it unlikely that if the applicant and [her new partner] were to end their relationship tomorrow, [he] would be held responsible to support the applicant. [...] [paras. 133-135] [ 29 ] The application judge went on to indicate the financial assistance provided to the respondent by her new partner was a legitimate factor to be weighed when assessing the appropriate level and duration of spousal support, but did not provide a basis for imputing income. I find nothing in the application judge’s analysis and conclusions on point which would warrant appellate interference. V.
Costs
[30] The respondent seeks an award of costs payable on a solicitor and client basis, framing herposition in the following terms: The Appellant in the present case has very clearly and unnecessarily prolonged the matter. The Appellant has shown a pattern ofavoidance to his legal obligations at every step of the Court process. This matter is not complicated, however; the Appellant’s unreasonable positions and refusal to comply with Court orders have forced theRespondent to continuously respond to his frivolous claims.
In the case at bar, it is appropriate for the Court to order Costs payable by the Appellant to the Respondent on a Solicitor and Clientbasis. [Respondent’s Submission, paras. 71-73] [31] The argument presented on point by counsel for the respondent was somewhat forceful,characterizing the appeal as being not only without merit, but “completely improper, vexatious and unnecessary” and the appellant’sbehaviour as “entirely unreasonable”. [32] In considering the appropriateness of a claim for costs on a solicitor and client basis, the Courthas looked to the decision of Ryan, J.A., in Sirois v.
Centennial Pontiac Buick GMC Ltd. and General Motors of Canada Ltd. (1988), (NB CA), 89 N.B.R. (2d) 244, [1988] N.B.J. No. 407 (C.A.) (QL), in which he states: Solicitor and client costs are awarded in rare and exceptional cases where the actions of one of the parties are onerous as against anotherparty. Orkin, The Law of Costs, 2nd ed. (1987), at pp. 2-61 and 2-62 sets out the author’s opinion along with a number of illustrations: Such orders are not to be made by way of damages, or on the view that the award of damages should reach the plaintiff intact, and areinappropriate where there has been no wrongdoing.
An award of costs on the solicitor-and-client scale, it has been said, is ordered only in rare and exceptional cases to mark the court’sdisapproval of the conduct of a party in the litigation.
Orders of this kind have been made where a litigant’s conduct has been particularlyblameworthy, for example, where there were allegations of fraud or impropriety either unproven or abandoned at trial; or wanton andscandalous charges; or allegations of perjury; or collusion; or where the responsible party perpetrated a fraud on the court, e.g., bypreparing and presenting forged documents; or by filing a deliberately deceptive affidavit in support of an order without notice; or byconcealing a document until trial and then relying on it; or prolonged the trial by engaging in obstructionist tactics; or brought motionswithout merit to exhaust an opponent’s resources; or intentionally misled the court by giving false evidence as to material facts; or incontempt proceedings.
Solicitor-and-client costs have been awarded to the successful party where an action was without any foundationin law, or where an appeal was considered to be without merit; and in a libel action where fault was admitted, only the amount ofdamages being contested; or where a carrier failed to admit liability for the contamination of food until shortly before trial, although ithad been aware of the facts much earlier; or where defendant in a wrongful dismissal action pleaded just cause without basis for the plea;or in an action for indemnification by an insured against his insurer where the insurer, in refusing to settle a personal injury claim had notused reasonable care for the protection of its insured, acted in bad faith and the plaintiff ought not to have had to bring the action. [para.10] [33] Larlee J.A., writing for the Court in Savoie v.
Mailhot, 2004 NBCA 17, 268 N.B.R. (2d) 348,underscored the rarity of such costs awards: The trial judge ordered the appellant to pay solicitor-client costs in this action. Since this is an extraordinary award of costs, and the trialjudge did not articulate any reasons for the award, it is necessary to examine the law and the facts to see if the award is appropriate. It is axiomatic that cost orders are discretionary. The trial judge’s exercise of discretion on the subject is not one that should be interferedwith lightly (see Daigle v.
Cape Breton Crane Rentals Ltd. (1987), (NB CA), 91 N.B.R. (2d) 189 (C.A.) at para. 29;Acadia Marble, Tile & Terrazzo Ltd. v. Oromocto Property Developments Ltd. (1998), (NB CA), 205 N.B.R. (2d)358 (C.A.) at paras. 33-36; and Comeau v. Saint John Regional Hospital (2001), 2001 NBCA 113 , 244 N.B.R. (2d) 201 (C.A.)at para. 122).
That said, solicitor-client costs are the exception, not the rule. They are reserved for a party subjected to wrongdoing that isreprehensible, scandalous or outrageous (see Mackin v. New Brunswick (Minister of Finance; Rice v. New Brunswick, 2002 SCC 13, [2002] 1 S.C.R. 405 and Young v. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 S.C.R. 3 at paras. 249-251). What facts in the case at bar could justify it being brought within the category of rare cases where solicitor-client costs are appropriate?Was the conduct of the appellant reprehensible, scandalous or outrageous?
From a review of the record, I conclude that none of hisactions can be described in this way. [paras. 35-38] For more recent examinations of this issue, see for example Bossé v. Farm Credit Canada, 2014 NBCA 34, 419 N.B.R. (2d) 1 and Calvyv. Calvy (2014), 426 N.B.R. (2d) 390, [2014] N.B.J. No. 282 (QL). [34] The language employed in the cases cited above clearly illustrates the significant thresholdwhich must be met to underpin an award of costs on the solicitor and client basis: rare, exceptional, without any foundation in law,reprehensible, scandalous, or outrageous.
The respondent urges us to attach such descriptors to the actions of the appellant in this matter,but, in my opinion, such a finding would be unjustified. The respondent is frustrated; that I understand. This litigation has been ongoingfor a number of years, which is regrettable, but hardly unique in a bitter and prolonged family dispute. At times, the actions of theappellant may have warranted labels such as those enumerated above (and I make no comment as to whether that is so or not), butcertainly not within the context of this appeal.
Our focus must be on the matter before us, and, evaluated in its proper context, the appealis clearly not frivolous. Although in my opinion not persuasive, the appellant has nonetheless put forward an arguable case. He haspresented case law to support his position, albeit cases I believe to be distinguishable from the case at bar. Counsel for the appellant,who was not counsel at the hearing of the application, abandoned three of the initial five grounds of appeal. Of the remaining two, hequite correctly identified one as being significantly stronger than the other.
His written submission and oral arguments were thorough,respectful, and certainly not unreasonable. It cannot be said the time of the Court was wasted, to quote an oft employed phrase. [35] I would reject the respondent’s request for an award of costs on a solicitor and client basis. Inmy opinion, this is not one of those “rare and exceptional cases” where such an award is justified. [36] While not successful on this final issue, the respondent is entitled to costs, which I would set at$3,500. VI. Conclusion and Disposition [37] There is no basis upon which to interfere with the decision of the application judge.
Shecorrectly identified the applicable legal principles and applied them to the facts of this case. Her findings of fact were grounded in theevidence, and her exercise of judicial discretion was untainted by reversible error. I would dismiss the appeal, and order the appellant topay costs in the amount of $3,500. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE GREEN I. Introduction
[1] Le présent appel a pour objet l’attribution d’un revenu à une conjointe réceptionnaire aux fins du calcul des aliments matrimoniaux et, en particulier, l’attribution d’un revenu fondé sur son choix de ne pas travailler ou sur la réception de dons en argent provenant de membres de sa famille et de son nouveau conjoint. Dans les circonstances de l’espèce, une juge de la Division de la famille de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a exercé son pouvoir discrétionnaire pour conclure que l’attribution d’un revenu n’était pas justifiée.
Le conjoint débiteur conteste ce dispositif et interjette appel de la décision de la juge saisie de la requête. Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel. II. Contexte [2] Les parties se sont rencontrées en 1996 et ont commencé à cohabiter à Ottawa en février 1997. Elles se sont mariées en décembre 2002 et se sont séparées en août 2012. Le couple a eu un enfant, né en avril 2003. [3] Des changements d’emploi et la recherche de nouvelles occasions les ont menées à déménager à plus d’une reprise.
D’Ottawa, les parties ont déménagé à Toronto, puis à Florenceville au Nouveau-Brunswick et, finalement, à Saint Andrews, au Nouveau-Brunswick, où elles habitent toujours. [4] Depuis la naissance de l’enfant, la mère intimée a été (et est toujours) la personne qui lui a prodigué les soins essentiels. La juge saisie de la requête a accordé aux parties la garde conjointe de l’enfant, son domicile étant chez l’intimée, et au père de généreux droits d’accès pouvant être exercés selon un calendrier déterminé. Ces aspects de l’ordonnance rendue par la juge saisie de la requête ne sont pas contestés et ne font pas
partie du présent appel. [5] Afin de comprendre le raisonnement qui sous-tend la décision de la juge saisie de la requête, il est essentiel d’avoir au moins une compréhension générale des antécédents éducationnels, professionnels et (dans le cas de l’intimé
e) médicaux des parties. Je puise librement dans les faits constatés par la juge saisie de la requête. [6] L’appelant avait 48 ans lorsque la juge saisie de la requête a rendu sa décision. Il a obtenu un diplôme en science politique et en économie d’une université de la Nouvelle-Écosse en 1989, après quoi il a passé une année supplémentaire à une université en France pour étudier le français. À son retour au Nouveau-Brunswick, l’appelant a trouvé un emploi au gouvernement provincial, puis auprès d’un parti politique provincial. En 1996, il a accepté un poste auprès d’un député fédéral, et a déménagé à Ottawa.
À la suite de l’élection générale de 1997, l’appelant a commencé à travailler auprès d’un autre membre du cabinet fédéral, dans un poste qui exigeait beaucoup de déplacements. [7] En 1999, l’appelant est allé travailler à Toronto pour une société d’alimentation multinationale dont la base des opérations était au Nouveau-Brunswick. Les parties ont déménagé à Toronto et, après dix mois, sont revenues au Nouveau-Brunswick, car l’appelant avait accepté un nouveau poste dans cette province auprès de la même société. En juin 2003, cet emploi a pris fin et l’appelant a reçu une indemnité de départ.
Le couple et leur bébé ont habité chez les parents de l’intimée pendant un certain temps, puis ont déménagé à Saint Andrews, où ils ont vécu dans un appartement qui appartenait aux parents de l’appelant. [8] Sans que l’intimée le sache, l’appelant a décidé d’acheter un restaurant à Saint Andrews même s’il n’avait aucune expérience dans l’exploitation d’une entreprise de ce genre. Un deuxième restaurant a été acquis dans la même localité l’année suivante. Même si ces entreprises ont initialement connu un certain succès, les restaurants ne marchaient plus très bien en 2006.
L’appelant a témoigné qu’il avait commencé à chercher un autre emploi et à vendre les restaurants. En 2007, l’appelant est allé travailler auprès d’une petite entreprise d’aquaculture et, au printemps 2009, les deux restaurants étaient fermés. L’appelant a subi un autre échec à l’automne 2010 lorsqu’il a accepté une autre indemnité de départ et s’est retrouvé de nouveau sans emploi. Sa chance a tourné lorsqu’il accepté un poste de gestionnaire dans une grande entreprise d’aquaculture en janvier 2011, un poste qu’il occupe toujours. Le montant accepté du revenu de l’appelant pour 2016 est de 120 000 $.
L’année précédente, son revenu était de 133 200 $ en raison d’une prime. [9] En ce qui concerne l’intimée, elle avait 50 ans lorsque la juge saisie de la requête a rendu sa décision. Elle a obtenu son diplôme d’études secondaires en 1982 et a par la suite fréquenté une université du Nouveau-Brunswick pendant deux ans, sans toutefois obtenir de diplôme. Elle s’est ensuite inscrite à une école de commerce et a terminé un programme d’études de deux ans en secrétariat administratif.
Pendant un court temps, l’intimée a travaillé dans un cabinet d’avocats néo- brunswickois, puis a déménagé à Toronto, où elle a occupé un emploi similaire. Au début des années 1990, l’intimée est allée travailler pour un député fédéral du Nouveau-Brunswick, et a conservé ce poste jusqu’en 1997. Comme il a été mentionné précédemment, à cette époque-là, elle et l’appelant cohabitaient.
[10] En 2003, après la naissance de leur enfant, l’intimée est devenue la personne lui prodiguant les soins essentiels, un rôle qu’elle a continué d’assumer [TRADUCTION] « pendant le reste du mariage ». Sauf quelques exceptions mineures, la juge saisie de la requête a conclu qu’elle [TRADUCTION] « n’a pas travaillé à l’extérieur du domicile depuis ».
Pour sa part, l’appelant était, pour reprendre les termes employés par la juge saisie de la requête, la [TRADUCTION] « seule source de revenus de la famille ». [11] L’intimée a reçu un diagnostic de cancer du sein en juin 2010 et a subi une double mastectomie en août de la même année. Il y a eu des complications, qui ont mené à d’autres interventions chirurgicales. Les effets permanents de ce souci de santé majeur se sont poursuivis jusqu’à l’audition de la requête et après celle-ci. [12] Le 31 août 2012, les parties se sont séparées.
L’intimé a quitté l’appartement familial et a déménagé dans différents logements locatifs à Saint Andrews. Leur enfant habitait avec elle.
L’appelant a continué de vivre dans l’appartement dont ses parents étaient propriétaires. [13] L’intimée a déposé une requête en divorce (Formule 81A) le 30 juillet 2013, sollicitant un divorce, une ordonnance de garde conjointe de l’enfant, avec résidence principale chez l’intimée et des droits d’accès raisonnables pour l’appelant, une pension alimentaire rétroactive au profit de l’enfant, le partage des dépenses spéciales, des aliments matrimoniaux rétroactifs et une assurance maladie, le maintien de l’intimée comme bénéficiaire des polices d’assurance vie de l’appelant et la répartition des biens matrimoniaux en parts égales.
Dans sa réponse déposée le 28 mars 2014, l’appelant a contesté ou n’a pas mentionné la plupart de ces points, à l’exception de la demande de divorce. Une conférence de règlement a eu lieu en août 2015, mais elle n’a pas abouti à un règlement. En février 2016, la Cour a entendu et accueilli une motion présentée par l’appelant et enjoignant à l’intimée de produire certains dossiers bancaires. L’affaire a été instruite plus tard le même mois, et la décision dont appel a été rendue en avril 2016. III.
Questions en litige [14] Des cinq moyens énoncés dans l’avis d’appel, il a été renoncé à trois de ceux-ci dans le mémoire. L’avocat a confirmé cette renonciation au début de l’audience. Il a choisi (judicieusement, à mon avis) de ne pas contester les conclusions portant sur le droit aux aliments matrimoniaux et aux aliments matrimoniaux rétroactifs, et sur la nature de la nouvelle relation de l’intimée. [15] Deux questions en litige persistent. L’appelant soutient que la juge saisie de la requête :
a) a commis une erreur lorsqu’elle a conclu que l’intimée n’avait pas choisi d’être sans emploi et ne lui a pas attribué un revenu aux fins du calcul des aliments matrimoniaux;
b) a commis une erreur lorsqu’elle a conclu qu’aucun revenu provenant de dons offerts par des membres de [l]a famille [de l’intimée] et de son nouveau conjoint ne devait lui être attribué aux fins du calcul des aliments matrimoniaux. IV. Droit et analyse A. Attribution d’un revenu [16] L’article 19 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants prévoit qu’un tribunal peut attribuer un revenu à une personne dans certains cas :
(1) The court may impute such amount of income to a spouse as it considers appropriate in the circumstances, which circumstances include the following: (
a) the spouse is intentionally under-employed or unemployed, other than where the under- employment or unemployment is required by the needs of a child of the marriage or any child under the age of majority or by the reasonable educational or health needs of the spouse; (
b) the spouse is exempt from paying federal or provincial income tax; (
c) the spouse lives in a country that has effective rates of income tax that are significantly lower than those in Canada; (
d) it appears that income has been diverted which would affect the level of child support to be determined under these Guidelines; (
e) the spouse’s property is not reasonably utilized to generate income; (
f) the spouse has failed to provide income information when under a legal obligation to do so; (
g) the spouse unreasonably deducts expenses from income; (
h) the spouse derives a significant portion of income from dividends, capital gains or other sources that are taxed at a lower rate than employment or business income or that are exempt from tax; and (
i) the spouse is a beneficiary under a trust and is or will be in receipt of income or other benefits from the trust. 19
(1) Le tribunal peut attribuer à l’époux le montant de revenu qu’il juge indiqué, notamment dans les cas suivants :
a) l’époux a choisi de ne pas travailler ou d’être sous-employé, sauf s’il a fait un tel choix lorsque l’exigent les besoins d’un enfant à charge ou de tout autre enfant mineur ou des circonstances raisonnables liées à sa santé ou la poursuite d’études par lui;
b) il est exempté de l’impôt fédéral ou provincial;
c) il vit dans un pays où les taux d’imposition effectifs sont considérablement inférieurs à ceux en vigueur au Canada;
d) des revenus semblent avoir été détournés, ce qui aurait pour effet d’influer sur le montant de l’ordonnance alimentaire à déterminer en application des présentes lignes directrices;
e) les biens de l’époux ne sont pas raisonnablement utilisés pour gagner un revenu;
f) il n’a pas fourni les renseignements sur le revenu qu’il est légalement tenu de fournir;
g) il déduit de façon déraisonnable des dépenses de son revenu;
h) il tire une portion considérable de son revenu de dividendes, de gains en capital ou d’autres sources qui sont imposés à un taux moindre que le revenu d’emploi ou d’entreprise ou qui sont exonérés d’impôt;
i) il reçoit ou recevra un revenu ou d’autres avantages à
titre de bénéficiaire d’une fiducie. [17] Les parties conviennent que la décision d’attribuer un revenu est de nature discrétionnaire, comme l’atteste l’emploi du terme « peut » par le législateur. Cela dit, elles ne s’entendent manifestement pas sur l’exercice de son
pouvoir discrétionnaire par la juge saisie de la requête en l’espèce. [18] En ce qui concerne la norme de contrôle applicable, les deux parties invoquent l’arrêt de notre Cour dans l’affaire T.D.L. c. A.-G.L., 2014 NBCA 57, 423 R.N.-B. (2e) 359 : Notre Cour a maintes fois énoncé la norme de contrôle applicable aux affaires de droit de la famille, à tel point qu’il ne sera pasnécessaire de s’y attarder encore une fois. Il suffira de rappeler que les décisions rendues au procès sur la garde, l’accès ou les alimentsmatrimoniaux, par exemple, appellent à une grande déférence.
La juge Larlee a résumé récemment, dans Brooks c. Brooks, 2014 NBCA 29, [2014] A.N.-B. no 112 (QL), la jurisprudence en la matière : Dans les instances ressortissant au droit de la famille, notre Cour estime devoir faire preuve d’une grande déférence, ou retenue, enversles décisions rendues en première instance. Voici ce qu’a dit la Cour dans l’arrêt MacDonald c.
MacDonald, 2011 NBCA 25, 372 R.N.-B. (2e) 179, autorisation de pourvoi devant la Cour suprême du Canada refusée, [2011] C.S.C.R. no 237 : La norme de contrôle qui s’applique généralement aux affaires familiales exige une grande retenue face à la décision du juge. Untribunal d’appel a le pouvoir d’annuler ou de modifier une décision ou une ordonnance lorsqu’elle est le fruit d’une erreur de droit, d’uneerreur de principe, d’une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve, ou si elle est manifestement erronée [...]. [Par. 7] Ce principe a été réitéré dans nos décisions : P.R.H. c.
M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 R.N.-B. (2e) 100, aux par. 8 et 9; Smith c. Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 R.N.-B. (2e) 208, au par. 10; Doiron c. Wilcox, 2012 NBCA 70, 393 R.N.-B. (2e) 183, aux par. 9 à 11; C.M.H. c. J.R.H., 2012 NBCA 71, 393 R.N.-B. (2e) 154, au par. 8; et Sangster c. Sangster, 2014 NBCA 14, [2014] A.N.-B. no 60 (QL), au par. 3. Dans l’arrêt MacLean c. MacLean, 2004 NBCA 75, 274 R.N.-B. (2e) 90, la Cour a expliqué la norme qui s’applique au moment deréviser une ordonnance alimentaire : Même si les pouvoirs conférés aux tribunaux d’appel par le paragraphe 21(5) [de la
Loi sur le divorce] sont vastes en apparence, ladémarche indiquée pour la révision en appel des ordonnances alimentaires au profit d’un époux veut que le tribunal d’appel fasse preuvede grande retenue envers la décision du juge du procès. [...] Ainsi, la règle donnée aux tribunaux d’appel est de « n’infirme[r] uneordonnance alimentaire que si les motifs révèlent une erreur de principe ou une erreur significative dans l’appréciation de la preuve, ouencore si la décision est manifestement erronée » : voir l’arrêt Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, au paragraphe 11.[par. 22] [19] En tant que tribunal d’appel, nous sommes seulement autorisés à modifier une ordonnancediscrétionnaire rendue par une juge saisie d’une requête si cette décision est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’applicationdes principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve (voir, notamment, Smith c.
Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 R.N.-B. (2e) 208, et Lang c. Lang, [2007] A.N.-B. no 348 (QL)). Je ne suis pas convaincu qu’une de ces erreurs a étécommise en l’espèce. Je m’expliquerai brièvement, en examinant à tour de rôle les deux moyens d’appel invoqués. B.
Attribution d’un revenu – le choix de ne pas travailler ou d’être sous-employé [20] Les conclusions essentielles de la juge saisie de la requête sur la question du présumé choix del’intimée de ne pas travailler ou d’être sous-employée sont les suivantes : [TRADUCTION]L’intimé soutient qu’on devrait attribuer un revenu à la requérante d’environ 30 000 $ par année, au motif qu’elle a choisi de ne pastravailler, et que les besoins de l’enfant ou des circonstances raisonnables liées à sa propre santé ou à la poursuite d’études par ellen’exigent pas ce choix, pour reprendre les termes de l’article 19 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pourenfants. […] […] L’éducation et la formation de la requérante comprennent le cours en secrétariat administratif qu’elle a suivi à la fin des années 1980 et
les postes de secrétaire juridique et d’adjointe politique qu’elle a occupés dans les années 1990. Cela remonte à presque 20 ans. En ce qui concerne le rôle qu’a joué la requérante au restaurant, j’accepte son témoignage selon lequel elle ne participait pas autant aux activités quotidiennes que le laisse entendre l’intimé. Elle aidait à l’occasion lorsqu’elle était au restaurant en servant du café et en faisant la vaisselle, et elle faisait des tartes au besoin. L’intimé a témoigné qu’il a encouragé la requérante à chercher du travail tout au long de leur relation.
Toutefois, la requérante n’a pas trouvé d’emploi stable, à l’exception de quelques emplois dans l’organisation d’événements et d’une période de deux semaines pendant laquelle elle a travaillé pour une campagne électorale. La requérante a subi un grave problème de santé en 2010, qui a entraîné plusieurs interventions chirurgicales. Celles-ci ont eu une incidence sur elle. Elle a témoigné qu’elle a peu d’énergie, qu’elle est en ménopause et qu’elle est incapable de prendre des suppléments d’œstrogènes. La Cour [prend note] des mots de la juge Wooder dans l’affaire Cavanaugh c.
Cavanaugh , 2008 NBBR 387 : [TRADUCTION] [40] Pour ce qui est de l’indépendance économique de M me Cavanaugh, on peut se demander si elle pourra un jour l’atteindre. [41] Il aurait été utile si on avait présenté à la Cour une preuve médicale du ou des médecins traitants de M me Cavanaugh. Toutefois, notre Cour d’appel a dit que de tels éléments de preuve ne sont pas nécessaires quand la
partie témoigne de son propre état de santé. Dans l’affaire Scott c. Scott (2004), 278 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 61 (C.A.), 2004 CarswellNB 587, le juge Richard a statué comme suit au paragraphe 53 : L’ordonnance alimentaire au profit de M me Scott a nécessairement supposé l’exercice d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire considérable de la part de la juge saisie des motions qui devait, dans l’appréciation des faits, soupeser les objectifs et les facteurs énoncés dans la
Loi sur le divorce . Je ne vois pas en quoi les motifs pour lesquels elle a accordé des aliments au profit de M me Scott révèlent une erreur de principe ou une erreur significative dans l’appréciation de la preuve ni en quoi ils seraient manifestement erronés. La juge saisie des motions avait le droit d’accepter, comme elle l’a fait, le témoignage de M me Scott concernant son propre état de santé et sa capacité de travailler.
La juge était également en droit de tirer une inférence à partir de la situation actuelle de M me Scott et de sa capacité passée de gagner un revenu et de déterminer en conséquence un montant correspondant à sa capacité résiduelle de gagner un revenu. Dans l’arrêt Vaughan c.
Vaughan , 2014 NBCA 6 , 2014 CarswellNB 41, la Cour d’appel a déclaré ce qui suit relativement à la décision du juge de première instance d’attribuer un certain revenu à l’épouse : [15] […] En ce qui concerne M me Vaughan, il n’y avait absolument aucune preuve établissant que le revenu de 6 000 $ qui lui a été attribué provenait d’un élément de l’actif matrimonial qui rapporterait un revenu. En lui attribuant un revenu, le juge croyait qu’elle était en mesure d’obtenir un emploi pendant un tiers de l’année au salaire minimum.
Non seulement il n’y avait aucun élément de preuve à l’appui de l’attribution de ce revenu, mais M me Vaughan n’était pas non plus obligée d’accepter du travail à temps partiel au salaire minimum. Le mariage et son échec lui avaient causé un important désavantage économique. M me Vaughan avait été absente du marché du travail pendant beaucoup trop longtemps pour que l’on puisse envisager qu’elle atteindrait un jour une certaine indépendance économique (voir l’arrêt Flieger c. Adams , 2012 NBCA 39 , 387 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 322).
À mon avis, il n’y a aucune preuve permettant de conclure que la requérante a choisi de ne pas travailler. Même si l’intimé voulait que la requérante travaille durant leur mariage, la réalité est telle que la requérante s’occupait principalement des soins de l’enfant et assumait les responsabilités afférentes à ce rôle. Elle n’a pas travaillé à l’extérieur du foyer. Il lui aurait sans doute fallu perfectionner ses compétences afin de se trouver un emploi, sans parler de gagner environ 30 000 $ par année, comme le suggère l’intimé.
Sa santé, ses antécédents professionnels limités, sa formation et son éducation désuètes et son rôle continu de principale pourvoyeuse de soins pour l’enfant des parties sont tous des facteurs qui militent à l’encontre d’une conclusion selon laquelle un revenu devrait lui être attribué. [par. 116 à 121] [21] Où se trouve donc l’erreur? Je n’en vois aucune. La juge saisie de la requête a soigneusement examiné la preuve qui lui avait été présentée, a appliqué le droit applicable aux faits et a conclu qu’il n’y avait aucun motif permettant de conclure que l’intimée à l’appel avait choisi de ne pas travailler.
Sa conclusion me semble éminemment raisonnable et appuyée par la preuve. Il ressort clairement d’une lecture de la décision dans son ensemble que la juge saisie de la requête a accordé de l’importance aux problèmes de santé de l’intimée, à sa lutte contre le cancer et aux nombreuses opérations qui ont suivi. On n’a fourni que peu, voire aucun contexte à la juge saisie de la requête à l’appui de la demande visant l’attribution d’un revenu annuel de 30 000 $. Si la demande
avait visé un montant moins élevé, et si elle était étayée par des preuves évidentes de la situation en matière d’emplois et de débouchésdans la localité où elle vit, le résultat aurait peut-être été différent, mais il s’agit d’un scénario qui est tout au plus conjectural. Sur cepoint, il importe de souligner les observations faites par les professeurs Carol Rogerson et Rollie Thompson dans les Lignes directricesfacultatives en matière de pensions alimentaires pour époux : Guide d’utilisation révisé, paru en avril 2016 : Chaque
partie veut attribuer un revenu plus élevé à l’autre époux, que ce soit pour augmenter ou pour réduire le montant de la pensionalimentaire pour époux. Lorsque nous utilisons les lignes directrices facultatives, basées sur les revenus, il est manifeste qu’un revenuplus élevé pour le payeur tire la fourchette vers le haut, ou qu’un revenu plus élevé pour le bénéficiaire donnera lieu à une fourchetteplus faible. Les tentatives d’attribution d’un revenu sont maintenant fréquentes, souvent fondées sur très peu d’éléments de preuves.
L’article 19 des Lignes directrices sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants sert souvent de fondement pour ces demandes d’attributiondu revenu. Il importe de se rappeler que l’article 19 est un mélange de deux types d’« attribution » : un certain nombre de dispositionsque l’on pourrait décrire plus exactement comme permettant d’« attribuer » un revenu au payeur, revenu que le payeur reçoit réellementsous une forme ou une autre, par opposition à l’alinéa 19(1)a), par exemple, où un tribunal peut véritablement « attribuer » un revenu aupayeur, même si celui-ci est sans emploi ou sous-employé. La majeure
partie du paragraphe 19(1) met l’accent sur l’attribution d’unrevenu à un époux, afin de traiter des divers types de revenus et de situations, de manière à le mettre sur un pied d’égalité avec unemployé salarié ou rémunéré (alinéas 19(1)
b) à e), et
g) à i)). Un revenu est véritablement attribué aux termes de l’alinéa 19(1)a) (etpossiblement aux termes de l’alinéa 19(1)f)), lorsqu’un tribunal doit déterminer le revenu hypothétique d’un époux. L’attribution du revenu en application du paragraphe 19(1) doit être fondée sur des preuves. Lorsqu’un époux n’a pas d’emploi, maisqu’il devrait travailler à temps partiel ou à temps plein aux termes de l’alinéa 19(1)a), il est facile d’attribuer un revenu au salaireminimum, puisqu’un tribunal peut prendre connaissance d’office du salaire minimum de la province ou du territoire.
Des éléments depreuve sont nécessaires pour démontrer qu’un époux pourrait gagner plus que le salaire minimum. La jurisprudence portant surl’alinéa 19(1)
a) sera utile; voir, par exemple, Drygala c. Pauli (2002), (ON CA), 61 O.R. (3d) 711 (C.A. Ont.). Dans de nombreux cas, il sera difficile de prouver combien un époux devrait être en mesure de gagner. Il peut être plus facile desimplement débattre de la situation à l’intérieur de la fourchette de montants, d’établir un montant moins élevé dans la fourchette si lerevenu du bénéficiaire est en cause, ou un montant plus élevé lorsque c’est celui du payeur qui est en cause.
Dans bon nombre de cas où on a attribué un montant de revenu peu élevé, le fait d’attribuer un revenu additionnel ne change pasbeaucoup la fourchette, ce qui signifie qu’il y aura un chevauchement important entre la fourchette pour le revenu réel et la fourchettepour le revenu attribué souhaité, comme il est expliqué dans la prochaine section. De la même façon, dans le cas d’un payeur ayant unrevenu élevé, le fait d’attribuer un revenu d’emploi à temps partiel ou à temps plein au salaire minimum ne changera pas beaucoup nonplus la fourchette de montants.
Dans de tels cas, mieux vaudrait peut-être concéder la preuve du revenu, qui prend du temps, et débattrede la situation du montant à l’intérieur de la fourchette. [p. 19 et 20] [22] La juge saisie de la requête a choisi de ne pas exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire et de ne pasattribuer de revenu à la requérante, et je suis d’avis de ne pas modifier sa décision. À mon avis, le premier moyen d’appel doit être rejeté. C. Attribution d’un revenu – dons [23] L’appelant a demandé à la juge saisie de la requête d’attribuer un revenu à l’intimée pour lesdons en argent qu’elle reçoit continuellement.
Il fonde son argument sur la décision de la Cour supérieure de justice de l’Ontario dansl’affaire Horowitz c. Nightingale, 2015 ONSC 190, [2015] O.J. No. 99 (QL). La juge saisie de la requête a rejeté sa demande, à justetitre selon moi, et a facilement distingué l’affaire Horowitz. [24] Dans les faits d’Horowitz, le tribunal a attribué un revenu annuel supplémentaire de 50 000 $ auconjoint débiteur aux fins du calcul des aliments au profit de ses enfants et de sa conjointe.
Ce revenu équivalait au montant des dons quele conjoint débiteur a reçus de membres de sa famille chaque année, pendant huit années consécutives. [25] La Cour dans l’affaire Horowitz a invoqué l’arrêt Bak c. Dobell, 2007 ONCA 304, [2007] O.J.No. 1489 (QL), de la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario, dans lequel on énumère des facteurs à considérer lorsqu’on statue sur la question desavoir s’il faut compter les dons comme revenus :
[TRADUCTION] Bien qu’il semble que le législateur ait choisi de ne pas inclure les dons reçus dans le cours normal des choses à
titre de revenu présumé ou comme l’un des cas prévus au par. 19(1), un tribunal examinera la question de savoir si les circonstances relatives à un don particulier sont si inhabituelles qu’elles constituent un [TRADUCTION] « cas où il est indiqué d’attribuer un revenu ». Lorsqu’elle examine s’il y a lieu d’inclure à
titre de revenu des dons inhabituels reçus, une cour doit tenir compte d’un certain nombre de facteurs. Ces facteurs comprennent notamment la régularité des dons; la durée de leur réception; si les dons ont fait
partie du revenu familial au cours de la cohabitation de manière à permettre un certain mode de vie; les circonstances relatives aux dons les désignant comme exceptionnels; si les dons font plus que de fournir un niveau de vie de base; le rapport entre le revenu généré par les dons et le revenu total du débiteur; s’ils sont versés afin de soutenir un enfant adulte qui traverse une période de crise ou d’incapacité; si les dons sont susceptibles d’être répétés; ainsi que l’objectif et la nature véritables des dons.
Manifestement, selon les faits de l’espèce, les sommes fournies à l’intimé par William Dobell ne constituent pas des dons offerts [TRADUCTION] « dans le cours normal des choses » en vue de souligner une occasion spéciale, comme l’attestent les circonstances relatives aux dons, y compris leur montant, leur régularité, la durée des versements périodiques ainsi que le fait que ces dons étaient la seule source de revenus de l’intimé et, à tout le moins dans une certaine mesure, de sa conjointe sans travail. [par. 74 à 76] [26] En l’espèce, la juge saisie de la requête s’est penchée sur la nature des dons reçus et sur les circonstances de l’octroi et de la réception de ceux-ci pour arriver à la conclusion suivante : [TRADUCTION] Durant la période de temps à laquelle les états financiers de la requérante se rapportent, cette dernière a reçu des sommes d’argent considérables sous forme de dons provenant de sa sœur, puis de [son nouveau conjoint].
Toutefois, aucune preuve n’indique qu’on lui avait offert des dons de manière régulière ou répétée au cours de leur mariage, comme c’était le cas dans l’affaire Horowitz . La seule preuve d’un don d’argent provenant de membres de la famille durant le mariage se rapporte à la somme de 40 000 $ donnée en 2002. Même s’il s’agissait d’une somme importante, ce don n’avait pas lieu chaque année.
Dans l’affaire Horowitz , la Cour a conclu qu’il était approprié d’attribuer un revenu supplémentaire pour tenir compte des dons en raison du fait que ceux-ci étaient récurrents et avaient servi à subvenir aux besoins familiaux au cours de la relation. Les fonds faisaient [TRADUCTION] «
partie du revenu familial et contribuaient au mode de vie qu’ils avaient adopté ». [Les dons provenant de son nouveau conjoint] sont venus après la séparation et ne faisaient pas
partie du revenu familial. Par conséquent, je refuse d’attribuer un revenu à la requérante sur le fondement des dons qu’elle a reçus de membres de sa famille. [par. 129 et 130] [27] Par souci de clarté, les dons en question provenaient de membres de la famille et du nouveau conjoint de l’intimée. La somme de 40 000 $ reçue en 2002 était un don unique de ses parents qui coïncidait avec l’arrivée attendue de l’enfant des parties. La juge saisie de la requête a expressément rejeté les prétentions de l’appelant selon lesquelles son ancienne conjointe avait accès à des sommes détenues dans une fiducie familiale.
Les autres dons de la famille, à savoir ceux de la sœur de l’intimée, lui avaient initialement été offerts en tant que prêts. La somme totale reçue en 2012-2013 était de 30 000 $. Comme l’a mentionné la juge saisie de la requête dans ses motifs, l’intimée a témoigné que sa sœur [TRADUCTION] « l’appuyait dans ses efforts de quitter le mariage et de trouver une résidence pour elle-même et l’enfant » (par. 124). Les dons versés au cours de la période allant de septembre 2013 à juillet 2014 par le nouveau conjoint de l’intimée ont atteint la somme de 24 000 $.
Selon son témoignage, elle a reçu une somme additionnelle de 10 000 $ au cours des 13 mois qui ont précédé l’audience. [28] Le cadre d’analyse énoncé dans Bak c. Dobell est utile, bien qu’il ne devrait pas, à mon avis, être vu comme exhaustif. Dans ses motifs, la juge saisie de la requête fait allusion à certains critères, les autres étant manifestement inapplicables. Envisagés dans cette perspective, les arguments avancés par l’appelant sont déficients et la juge saisie de la requête n’était pas persuadée que les dons en argent reçus par l’intimée pouvaient justifier l’attribution d’un revenu.
La presque totalité de l’argent a été reçue après la date de la séparation et non au cours du mariage. Le don d’argent de la sœur semble avoir été octroyé uniquement en raison de l’échec du mariage et visait à atténuer les conséquences financières de la séparation. En ce qui concerne les sommes données par le nouveau conjoint de l’intimée, la juge saisie de la requête n’a pu trouver aucun fondement à l’existence d’une obligation juridique selon laquelle ces paiements devaient continuer.
À cette fin, la juge saisie de la requête a statué ainsi : [TRADUCTION] En l’espèce, la requérante et [son nouveau conjoint] semblent avoir une relation sérieuse, une relation qui est intime et qui dure depuis plus de trois ans. Ils ne vivent pas sous un même toit. […]
[…] La requérante et [son nouveau conjoint] ont gardé chacun leur propre résidence dans des provinces différentes. Ils ne semblent pas avoirfusionné leurs finances, même s’[il] est généreux envers la requérante avec son argent. Aucune preuve n’indique qu’ils se présententcomme conjoints de fait. Le fait que [son nouveau conjoint] achète la propriété où vit la requérante soulève effectivement des questionspour le tribunal, comme je l’ai indiqué précédemment.
Toutefois, selon les faits qui m’ont été présentés, je conclus qu’il est peu probableque, dans l’éventualité où la requérante et [son nouveau conjoint] mettaient fin à leur relation demain, [il] serait tenu responsable desoutenir la requérante. […] [par. 133 à 135] [29] La juge saisie de la requête a poursuivi en indiquant que le soutien financier fourni à l’intiméepar son nouveau conjoint était un facteur légitime à prendre en considération dans l’évaluation du montant et de la durée appropriés desaliments matrimoniaux, mais qui ne saurait justifier l’attribution d’un revenu.
Je ne trouve rien dans l’analyse et les conclusions de lajuge saisie de la requête qui justifieraient l’intervention d’un tribunal d’appel. V. Dépens [30] L’intimée sollicite des dépens calculés sur la base des frais entre avocat et client, exprimant saposition dans les termes suivants : [TRADUCTION]L’appelant en l’espèce a très évidemment et inutilement prolongé le déroulement de l’affaire. L’appelant a fait preuve d’évitement àl’égard de ses obligations juridiques, et ce, à chaque étape du processus judiciaire. Il ne s’agit pas d’une affaire compliquée, cependant.
Les positions déraisonnables de l’appelant et son refus d’obtempérer avec lesordonnances de la Cour ont forcé l’intimée à répondre continuellement à ses demandes frivoles.
En l’espèce, il est approprié que la Cour condamne l’appelant à des dépens calculés sur la base des frais entre avocat et client. [Mémoirede l’intimée, par. 71 à 73] [31] L’argument présenté sur ce point par les avocates de l’intimée était quelque peu percutant, etcaractérisait l’appel comme non seulement dénué de fondement, mais aussi comme [TRADUCTION] « complètement inapproprié,vexatoire et inutile », et le comportement de l’appelant comme [TRADUCTION] « entièrement déraisonnable ». [32] Pour apprécier le bien-fondé d’une demande de dépens calculés sur la base des frais entre avocatet client, la Cour s’est tournée vers la décision du juge d’appel Ryan dans l’arrêt Sirois c.
Centennial Pontiac Buick GMC Ltd. et General Motors of Canada Ltd. (1988), (NB CA), 89 R.N.-B. (2e) 244, [1988] A.N.-B. no 407 (C.A.) (QL), où il s’exprimedans les termes suivants : [TRADUCTION]Les frais entre avocat et client ne sont adjugés que dans des cas rares et exceptionnels où les actions d’une
partie sont onéreuses pour l’autre partie. Dans Orkin, The Law of Costs (2e éd., 1987), aux pages 2-61 et 2-62, l’auteur exprime son opinion sur la question et donnequelques exemples : Il ne convient pas de rendre de telles ordonnances en guise de dommages-intérêts ou en vue de laisser intacts les dommages-intérêts querecevra le demandeur, et ces ordonnances ne conviennent pas où il n’y a eu aucune action fautive. On a dit que les dépens suivant le tarif des frais entre avocat et client ne sont adjugés que dans des cas rares et exceptionnels pourindiquer la désapprobation par la Cour de la conduite d’une
partie au litige. Des ordonnances de ce genre ont été rendues là où laconduite d’une
partie était particulièrement blâmable, par exemple : allégations de fraude ou de conduite répréhensible qui n’ont pas été
prouvées ou qui ont été abandonnées au procès; accusations totalement arbitraires ou diffamatoires; allégations de parjure; collusion; ouencore lorsque la
partie responsable a abusé de la cour, par exemple en préparant et en présentant des documents contrefaits, en déposantsciemment un affidavit mensonger à l’appui d’une ordonnance sans préavis, en dissimulant un document jusqu’au procès et en s’enservant au procès, en prolongeant le procès au moyen de tactiques obstructionnistes, en présentant des motions sans fondement pourépuiser les ressources de l’adversaire, en induisant délibérément la cour en erreur en donnant de faux témoignages sur les faitsdéterminants, ou lors de poursuites pour outrage au tribunal. Des dépens suivant le tarif des frais entre avocat et client ont été adjugés àla
partie ayant eu gain de cause dans les cas suivants : lorsque l’action n’avait aucun fondement en droit ou lorsqu’un appel étaitconsidéré sans fondement; dans une action en libelle où il y avait eu aveu de faute et seul le montant des dommages-intérêts étaitcontesté; dans un cas où un transporteur n’a avoué sa responsabilité pour la contamination d’aliments que peu de temps avant le procèsmême s’il était au courant des faits bien avant; lorsque le défendeur dans une action pour renvoi injustifié a soulevé, sans fondement, ladéfense du motif valable; lorsque, dans une action en dédommagement intentée par un assuré contre son assureur, l’assureur, en refusantde régler une réclamation pour préjudice personnel, n’avait pas fait preuve de diligence raisonnable en vue de protéger son client et avaitagi de mauvaise foi, obligeant ainsi le demandeur à intenter une action. [par. 10] [33] Sous la plume de la juge d’appel Larlee, la Cour, dans l’arrêt Savoie c.
Mailhot, 2004 NBCA 17, 268 R.N.-B. (2e) 348, a souligné la rareté avec laquelle de tels dépens sont adjugés : Le juge du procès a condamné l’appelant à verser les frais entre avocat et client de l’intimée dans l’action faisant l’objet du présentappel. Étant donné qu’il s’agit d’une adjudication exceptionnelle des dépens qui n’a pas été motivée par le juge du procès, il fautexaminer le droit et les faits pour vérifier si cette adjudication est justifiée. Il va de soi que les ordonnances en matière de dépens sont discrétionnaires.
Or, il ne faut pas intervenir à la légère dans l’exercice d’unpouvoir discrétionnaire d’un juge de première instance (voir Daigle c. Cape Breton Crane Rentals Ltd. (1987), (NB CA), 91 R.N.-B. (2e) 189 (C.A.) au paragraphe 29; Acadia Marble, Tile & Terrazzo Ltd. c. Oromocto Property Developments Ltd. (1998), (NB CA), 205 R.N.-B. (2e) 358 (C.A.) aux paragraphes 33 à 36; et Comeau c. Saint John Regional Hospital (2001), 2001 NBCA 113 , 244 R.N.-B. (2e) 201 (C.A.) au paragraphe 122). Cela étant dit, les frais entre avocat et client sont l’exception, et non la règle. Ils sont réservés à une
partie qui a été victime d’uneconduite répréhensible, scandaleuse ou outrageante (voir Mackin c. [Nouveau-]Brunswick (Ministre des Finances); Rice c. [Nouveau-]Brunswick, 2002 SCC 13 , [2002] 1 R.C.S. 405 et Young c. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 R.C.S. 3 auxparagraphes 249 à 251). En l’espèce, quels faits peuvent justifier que l’on classe l’affaire dans la catégorie des rares causes dans lesquelles il convient d’adjugerles frais entre avocat et client? La conduite de l’appelant a-t-elle été répréhensible, scandaleuse ou outrageante?
L’examen du dossierm’amène à conclure qu’aucun de ses actes ne répond à ces qualificatifs. [par. 35 à 38] Pour des examens plus récents de cette question, voir, par exemple, les décisions dans Bossé c. Financement agricole Canada, 2014 NBCA 34, 419 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, et Calvy c.
Calvy (2014), 426 R.N.-B. (2e) 390, [2014] A.N.B. no 282 (QL). [34] Les mots employés dans les causes invoquées ci-dessus, à savoir « rare », « exceptionnel »,« aucun fondement juridique », « répréhensible », « scandaleu[x] » et « outragean[t] », illustrent clairement le seuil élevé devant êtreatteint pour justifier une adjudication de dépens calculés sur la base des frais entre avocat et client. L’intimée nous exhorte à qualifierainsi les gestes posés par l’appelant en l’espèce, mais, à mon avis, une telle conclusion serait injustifiée. L’intimée est frustrée, et jecomprends cela.
Le présent litige dure depuis un certain nombre d’années, ce qui est regrettable, mais n’a rien d’exceptionnel dans undifférend familial acrimonieux et prolongé. Parfois, les actes de l’appelant auraient pu mériter des qualificatifs comme ceux énumérés ci-dessus (et je m’abstiens de commenter la question de savoir si c’était le cas ou non), mais ils ne l’ont certainement pas dans le contextedu présent appel. Notre attention doit être tournée vers l’affaire dont nous sommes saisis et, lorsque nous l’évaluons dans son contexteparticulier, l’appel n’est manifestement pas frivole.
Même si les arguments de l’appelant ne sont pas, à mon avis, persuasifs, ils étaientnéanmoins soutenables. Il a invoqué de la jurisprudence à l’appui de sa position, quoique celle-ci se distingue, selon moi, de l’affaire enl’espèce. L’avocat de l’appelant, qui n’était pas l’avocat ayant comparu à l’audition de la requête, a renoncé à trois des cinq moyensd’appel initiaux. Des deux moyens restants, il a déterminé à juste
titre que l’un était considérablement plus convaincant que l’autre. Sonmémoire et sa plaidoirie étaient rigoureux et respectueux, et n’étaient certainement pas déraisonnables. On ne peut pas dire que le tempsde la Cour a été gaspillé, pour reprendre une expression souvent employée. [35] Je suis d’avis de rejeter la demande de dépens calculés sur la base des frais entre avocat et clientprésentée par l’intimée. À mon sens, il ne s’agit pas de l’un de ces « cas rares et exceptionnels » où de tels dépens sont justifiés.
[36] Même si elle n’a pas eu gain de cause sur cette dernière question, l’intimée a droit aux dépens, que je fixerais à 3 500 $. VI. Conclusion et dispositif [37] Il n’existe aucun motif de modifier la décision de la juge saisie de la requête. Elle a bien cerné les principes juridiques pertinents et les a correctement appliqués aux faits de l’espèce. Ses conclusions de fait étaient appuyées par la preuve et l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire n’était pas entaché d’une err