2015 NBCA 48, 2015 NBCA 48
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 13-14-CA BOYD REGINALD ATKINSON APPELLANT BOYD REGINALD ATKINSON APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Atkinson v. R., 2015 NBCA 48 Atkinson c.
R., 2015 NBCA 48 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Bell The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Bell l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: November 21, 2013 Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : le 21 novembre 2013 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N.A. Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: February 11, 2015 Appel entendu : le 11 février 2015
Judgment rendered: July 23, 2015 Official bilingual version: August 27, 2015 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Richard Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Bell The Honourable Justice Green Jugement rendu : le 23 juillet 2015 Version officielle bilingue : le 27 août 2015 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Richard Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Bell l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Martin A. Goguen For the respondent: Stephen J. Holt THE COURT The application to appeal the sentence is allowed but the appeal is dismissed.
Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Martin A. Goguen Pour l’intimée : Stephen J. Holt LA COUR La demande d’autorisation d’appel de la peine est accueillie mais l’appel est rejeté. The following is the judgment delivered by RICHARD J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] After pleading guilty to charges of impaired driving causing death ( s. 255(3) of the Criminal Code of Canada) and impaired driving causing bodily harm ( s. 255(2) ), both charges arising out of the same incident, recidivist Boyd Reginald Atkinson was sentenced to concurrent terms of imprisonment on November 21, 2013.
On the first count, the Provincial Court judge sentenced him to imprisonment for ten years, but reduced the term to nine years and five months to account for the time Mr. Atkinson had spent remanded in custody. On the second count, the judge sentenced him to three years. The judge also prohibited Mr. Atkinson from operating a motor vehicle for the rest of his life. Mr. Atkinson seeks leave to appeal the sentence imposed for the s. 255(3) offence. He claims the sentence is clearly unreasonable and not in keeping with sentences customarily imposed for crimes of this kind.
He also alleges the judge placed too much weight on the impact the crime had on the victim’s family. [ 2 ] For the reasons that follow, I would allow the application for leave to appeal but would dismiss the appeal. In my view, this case presents an opportunity for this Court to loudly denounce the conduct of repeat offenders who
would, as did Mr. Atkinson, have callous disregard for the life of others. It is also an opportunity to confirm a sentence that not onlymeets the objective of denunciation but may also serve to deter those who might otherwise be inclined to engage in conduct which theSupreme Court of Canada has acknowledged “[e]ach year […] leaves a terrible trail of death, injury, heartbreak and destruction”: R. v.Bernshaw, (SCC), [1995] 1 S.C.R. 254, [1994] S.C.J. No. 87 (QL), at para. 16. II. Factual background [3] Kathy Horsman was a young single mother of two: a sixteen-year-old daughter and an eight-year-old son.
She was a teacher. At about 9:20 p.m. on April 17, 2013, she met an untimely death in a motor vehicle collision as she wasdriving eastbound on the Berry Mills Road in Moncton to pick up her daughter at a school dance. The sole cause of the collision thatresulted in her death was Mr. Atkinson’s impaired driving. [4] On April 17, 2013, Mr. Atkinson and Marc Landry purchased liquor and made their way to apub in downtown Moncton. By evening, they were both extremely intoxicated. Mr. Landry, who owned a 2000 Pontiac Grand Amvehicle, was more intoxicated than Mr. Atkinson.
The testing of samples taken following the collision that caused Ms. Horsman’s deathrevealed that Mr. Atkinson had between 275 milligrams and 295 milligrams of alcohol in 100 milliliters of his blood, whereas Mr.Landry had approximately 339 mg. The limit beyond which operating a motor vehicle is a criminal offence is 80 mg. [5] Although Mr. Atkinson’s driving privilege was suspended, it was he who came to be drivingthe Pontiac Grand Am. It was he who maneuvered it at a high rate of speed across two solid yellow lines and caused it to collide withMs.
Horsman’s vehicle. [6] Before the collision, the Pontiac Grand Am was proceeding westbound on Killam Drive,which is the road leading past the Moncton Coliseum and then onto an overpass that crosses Wheeler Boulevard before the roadwayturns into the Berry Mills Road. Mr. Atkinson’s driving on Killam Drive was erratic. He was driving slowly, braking at inappropriatemoments, and then accelerating frequently. The vehicle swerved on the roadway. At the intersection of the first entrance to theColiseum, the vehicle almost stopped at the traffic light although the signal was green.
It almost stopped again at the intersection of thesecond entrance to the Coliseum, but it accelerated again, and crossed over two solid yellow hash marked areas before returning to itsown lane of travel. Mr. Atkinson then overtook other vehicles in a zone where passing was prohibited and barely missed colliding withthe side of an oncoming truck. After overtaking one of the vehicles, the Pontiac Grand Am passed over a second solid yellow hashmarked space and crossed all the way into the left eastbound lane, a full two lanes over from the westbound lane. It was at that momentthat Mr. Atkinson collided with Ms.
Horsman’s vehicle as she slowed down and moved to her right, partly onto the shoulder of the road,evidently in an attempt to avoid the oncoming Grand Am. [7] The Grand Am was equipped with a Sensing Diagnostic Module. The data retrieved after thecollision indicates that, just prior to impact, Mr. Atkinson was driving at a speed of 136 km/h and was accelerating. He did not brakebefore impact. The speed limit in that area is 60 km/h. [8] The force of the collision caused the front-end, dash and tires of both vehicles to be pushed upsuch that they surrounded the bodies of the occupants. From the impact, Ms.
Horsman suffered a broken leg and internal bleeding, whichled to her death. The passenger in the Grand Am, Mr. Landry, suffered a fractured right ankle and multiple bruises. Mr. Atkinson wasalso injured in the collision. [9] Following the laying of charges, Mr. Atkinson pled guilty to impaired driving causing thedeath of Ms. Horsman and impaired driving causing Mr. Landry bodily harm. The offences to which Mr.
Atkinson pled guilty havemaximum sentences of imprisonment for life, in the case of impaired driving causing death (s. 255(3)), and imprisonment for ten years inthe case of impaired driving causing bodily harm (s. 255(2)). [10] At the sentencing hearing, it was revealed that Mr. Atkinson had a number of related previousconvictions: one in 1989 for refusing to provide a sample of his breath; one in 1992 for driving with a concentration of alcohol in hisblood that exceeded 80 mg; and two similar offences in 2009.
He was thus before the court to be sentenced for his fifth and sixthoffences under related provisions of the Criminal Code. Mr. Atkinson’s criminal record also revealed two convictions for uttering threats
(s. 264.1(
a) and 264.1( b )) and one for failing to comply with an undertaking (s. 145(3)( b )), in 2008, and two violations of a probation order (s. 733.1(1)( b )) in 2009. A pre-sentence report revealed that, at the time of sentencing, Mr. Atkinson was 42 years old. He is the father of two teenagers, but neither resided with him at the time. Mr.
Atkinson reported having struggled with alcohol consumption since the age of 18, and having successfully completed an Alcohol Recovery program in 2008, but admitted to a continued struggle with consumption even after completing the program. [ 11 ] Counsel for the Attorney General argued sentences of imprisonment of 10 and 3 years should be imposed for the offences under s. 255(3) and 255(2), respectively. In making his submission to the sentencing judge, prosecuting counsel sought to adduce evidence obtained from Mr. Landry, to which Mr. Atkinson contested.
Prosecuting counsel related the information to the judge in these terms: Marc Landry in both a statement and in a KGB statement indicates that he was angry with the accused because it was not the first time that he had driven his vehicle in a manner that caused him fear. And he related another time, he says it would have been another, one summer ago, 2012, he says that the accused was driving his car, Marc Landry’s car, on Shediac Road, inside Moncton, and he started driving erratically and crazy, he says he was very scared, he thought he was going to lose his life.
He said that the accused was driving at speeds at or over a hundred kilometers per hour inside the city, driving with one hand and looking at him while driving, not keeping his eyes on the road and he says he drove like this smiling at him and he was scared for his life. Marc Landry says that he was able to get the accused to pull over to the side of the road where he took the keys from the car and told the accused he would never drive his car ever again.
And that would be the nature of the information and I submit that it would be relevant to the determination of whether this is an isolated manner of driving or an incident and in particular Marc Landry specifically says that he told the accused never to drive his car again but he can’t explain to us how did the accused come to be driving your (sic) car after they left [the pub] so I submit that it would be a matter that the Court should consider. [ 12 ] After hearing Mr.
Atkinson’s objection, the sentencing judge ruled it would not be necessary to hear testimony because he did not consider the information relevant. He explained: Does it really make a difference the fact that Mr. Landry told this individual he was never to drive his car again? I have difficulty seeing how that’s relevant because he obviously was.
So quite frankly I have some concerns about the relevance of that particular testimony and I think in all, in all fairness the, any doubt in that matter has to be resolved in favour of the accused and I’m not satisfied that the evidence is in fact relevant for the purposes for which we are here this morning. [ 13 ] At the sentencing hearing, defence counsel focused his arguments on the principle contained in s. 718.2 (
b) of the Criminal Cod e, which states: “a sentence should be similar to sentences imposed on similar offenders for similar offences committed in similar circumstances”. He pointed to cases with similarities to the present one and argued the judge should impose concurrent sentences of imprisonment of four to six years for the offence under s. 253(3) and two to three years for the one under s. 255(2). [ 14 ] As stated earlier, the Provincial Court judge sentenced Mr.
Atkinson to concurrent terms of imprisonment of nine years and five months, and three years. [ 15 ] In passing sentence, the judge noted the dangerous manner in which Mr. Atkinson was driving and concluded that the collision “was not caused by any transient error in judgment or momentary inattention”.
The judge referred to the maximum punishments of imprisonment for life and 10 years for the two offences and specifically noted that “[t]he seriousness of the problem of drinking and driving cannot be over stated […] the action taken by parliament in recent years is in increasing both the maximum and minimum sentences is a clear recognition of the problem”. [ 16 ] The sentencing judge continued with a reference to the principle contained in s. 255.1 of the Criminal Code , which provides that the concentration of alcohol in Mr.
Atkinson’s blood, being higher than 160 milligrams of alcohol in 100 milliliters of blood, must be deemed an aggravating circumstance. In addition, the judge considered Mr. Atkinson’s previous related convictions as a “major aggravating factor”. He noted that, for two of those convictions, Mr. Atkinson had served custodial sentences. The sentencing judge pointed out that those previous convictions and sentences, as well as Mr. Atkinson having had the benefit of an alcohol recovery program, “appear to have had little deterrent effect”. [ 17 ] The sentencing judge continued his analysis as follows:
Drinking and driving is a form of, really a form of gambling; that is gambling you won’t get caught in the possibility of horrificconsequences will occur to the other guy. It’s more than evident that the Victim Impact Statements delivered this morning demonstratethat the losses can be many and the stakes indeed high. The pain and suffering being experienced by the Horsman family was palpable.There can be no doubt from a review of the jurisprudence that the paramount factors in sentencing in this case are deterrence anddenunciation. Mr.
Trahan has pointed out that the accused has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge that he killed someone. Thatknowledge should (emphasized) have a deterrent effect on him but the issue of deterrence goes beyond the individual offender.Sentences imposed for these types of offences have to just deliver a message to the public in general that these crimes must be denouncedand that upon conviction the offender will be subject to serious consequences. [Transcript, November 21, 2013, p. 73-74] [18] The judge continued his analysis by referencing the principles that govern sentencing.
He beganwith the fundamental principle contained in s. 718.1 that “a sentence must be proportionate to the gravity of the offence and the degree ofresponsibility of the offender” and noted “[t]here can be nothing more grave than causing the death of another as a result of a crime”. Asrequired by s. 718.2(a), the judge then considered both the aggravating and mitigating factors. He considered as aggravating factors Mr.Atkinson’s extraordinarily high blood alcohol level, his previous convictions and the fact he should not even have been driving at allsince his driving privilege had been suspended.
As mitigating factors, the judge considered the fact Mr. Atkinson unreservedly acceptedresponsibility for his crime and that he pled guilty, although the judge noted that, in the circumstances, he did not find the guilty plea tobe of great importance. [19] The judge then turned to the sentencing principle contained in s. 718.2(b), which provides that“a sentence should be similar to sentences imposed on similar offenders for similar offences committed in similar circumstances”, notinghowever that “[i]t is seldom that one finds two or more cases which square up precisely”.
The judge concluded that a sentence in the six-year range would not “reflect the gravity of the offence in light of Mr. Atkinson’s history” and therefore settled on one of ten years lessremand time for the offence of impaired driving causing Ms. Horsman’s death. He finished by giving effect to what had essentially beencommon ground by imposing three years for the impaired driving causing Mr. Landry bodily harm and by prohibiting Mr. Atkinsonfrom operating a motor vehicle for life. III. Issues on appeal [20] Mr.
Atkinson appeals the sentence of nine years and five months imposed for the impaireddriving causing death offence. He initially raised three grounds of appeal, although only two were pursued at the hearing. The groundthat was not pursued was whether the statement of Mr. Landry that was ruled irrelevant had somehow influenced the judge. At the outsetof the appeal, counsel for Mr.
Atkinson, who was not involved in drafting the Notice of Appeal or the Appellant’s Submission, advisedhe would address only two grounds: 1) Whether the sentencing judge placed too much weight on the impact of the offence on the victims; and, 2) Whether the sentence imposed is clearly unreasonable and fails to respect the parity principle set out in s. 718.2(
b) of the CriminalCode. IV. Analysis [21] The standard of review governing a sentence appeal is well known. It was convenientlysummarized in Steeves v. R., 2010 NBCA 57, 360 N.B.R. (2d) 88, per Drapeau C.J.N.B., and most recently applied in Snook v. R., 2014NBCA 71, [2014] N.B.J. No. 305 (QL). It is a standard that points to deference unless “the sentence imposed is the product of either anerror of law or an error in principle, or unless it is clearly unreasonable” (para. 25 of Steeves). [22] At the hearing of the appeal, counsel for Mr.
Atkinson and for the Attorney General bothacknowledged the applicable standard of review and argued their respective positions accordingly. Counsel for Mr. Atkinson candidlyacknowledged that the sentence was not the product of an error in law.
His focus was on alleged errors of principle and on thereasonableness of the sentence. [23] Errors of principle “typically involv[e] one or more of the following: the application of wrongsentencing principles, a failure to consider relevant factors or the taking into account of irrelevant considerations”, but such an error canalso be found in “the failure to give proper weight to each relevant circumstance”, although these types of errors will be rare because theweighing of circumstances is itself owed deference (para. 26 of Steeves, quoting from R. v. R.K.J. (1998), (NB CA),207 N.B.R. (2d) 24, [1998] N.B.J.
No. 483 (C.A.)(QL), at para. 13).
[ 24 ] As for gauging the reasonableness of a sentence, note that the standard requires deference unless the sentence is “clearly unreasonable”. This will occur “if it is a substantial and marked departure from the sentence customarily imposed for similarly situated offenders committing similar crimes” (para. 26 of Steeves , quoting from R.K.J. ). A . Impact on the victims [ 25 ] Mr. Atkinson argues the sentencing judge placed too much weight on the impact of the crime on the victims.
With respect, that ground is without any merit. [ 26 ] At the sentencing hearing, a number of victim impact statements were filed and some were read in court. In these, members of Ms. Horsman’s family described how her tragic death affected them. In his decision, the judge twice mentioned the impact of the crime on the victims. The first of these occurred as the judge was observing that driving while impaired is a form of gambling that can bring about horrific consequences to others.
He explained his statement as follows: It’s more than evident that the Victim Impact Statements delivered this morning demonstrate that the l osses can be many and the stakes indeed high. The pain and suffering being experienced by the Horsman family was palpable. [ Transcript, November 21, 2013, p. 73-74 ] [ 27 ] The second mention of the impact of the crime on the victims came when the judge reviewed the mitigating factors. The judge noted that Mr.
Atkinson “unreservedly accepted responsibility for what occurred” but added “I’m sure that’s cold comfort to the Horsman family”. [ 28 ] In Steeves , Drapeau C.J.N.B. had occasion to consider the role of victim impact statements in the sentencing process. He noted that the consideration to be given to victim impact statements must be done “in tandem with the well- known purposes and principles of sentencing” (para. 34).
He explained further that “[a]ll relevant factors must be brought to bear on the process of crafting ‘just sanctions’ (s. 718)” and that “[t]he impact of the crime upon the victim is but one factor” (para. 37). [ 29 ] Nowhere do I see in the sentencing judge’s reasons any deviation from the principles that govern victim impact statements. No one has argued that any of the victim impact statements exceeded the limits of what is prescribed in s. 722(1). The two references the judge made of the impact of the crime on the victims were, in my view, rather benign.
The judge was merely stating the obvious: (1) when one drives while impaired, one is gambling with life and limb not only of oneself but also of others, and the losses “can be many and the stakes indeed high” as demonstrated in this case from the impact of the crime on Ms. Horsman’s family; and (2) accepting responsibility after the fact for having caused someone’s death is cold comfort to those who have lost a loved one. B. Parity principle and reasonableness of the sentence [ 30 ] Mr.
Atkinson argues the sentence imposed for impaired driving causing death is clearly unreasonable and violates the parity principle. [ 31 ] Recall that the reasonableness of a sentence is to be assessed by determining if it is “a substantial and marked departure from the sentence customarily imposed for similarly situated offenders committing similar crimes” and that the parity principle, codified in s. 718.2 (
b) of the Criminal Code , states that “a sentence should be similar to sentences imposed on similar offenders for similar offences committed in similar circumstances”. There is, however, a significant difference between the two concepts. [ 32 ] The parity principle is but one of the many principles that must be taken into account when crafting a sentence in order to give effect to the purpose of sentencing. These are set out in s. 718:
718. The fundamental purpose of sentencing is to contribute, along with crime prevention initiatives, to respect for the law and the maintenance of a just, peaceful and safe society by imposing just sanctions that have one or more of the following objectives: (
a) to denounce unlawful conduct; (
b) to deter the offender and other persons from committing offences; (
c) to separate offenders from society, where necessary; (
d) to assist in rehabilitating offenders; (
e) to provide reparations for harm done to victims or to the community; and (
f) to promote a sense of responsibility in offenders, and acknowledgment of the harm done to victims and to the community. 718. Le prononcé des peines a pour objectif essentiel de contribuer, parallèlement à d’autres initiatives de prévention du crime, au respect de la loi et au maintien d’une société juste, paisible et sûre par l’infliction de sanctions justes visant un ou plusieurs des objectifs suivants :
a) dénoncer le comportement illégal;
b) dissuader les délinquants, et quiconque, de commettre des infractions;
c) isoler, au besoin, les délinquants du reste de la société;
d) favoriser la réinsertion sociale des délinquants;
e) assurer la réparation des torts causés aux victimes ou à la collectivité;
f) susciter la conscience de leurs responsabilités chez les délinquants, notamment par la reconnaissance du tort qu’ils ont causé aux victimes et à la collectivité. [ 33 ] Viewed this way, parity is not an imperative; it is but one factor. The reasoning of the majority of the Supreme Court in R. v.
L.M. , 2008 SCC 31 , [2008] 2 S.C.R. 163 , per LeBel J., confirms this: Moreover, the majority of the Court of Appeal attached great importance to the principle that a sentence should be similar to sentences imposed on similar offenders for similar offences committed in similar circumstances (paras. 41 et seq .), which is one of the normative sentencing principles provided for in the Criminal Code ( s. 718.2 Cr . C .). Although this principle permits an appellate court to temper the discretionary aspect of the sentencing process, it was applied incorrectly by the majority of the Court of Appeal.
This exercise of ensuring that sentences are similar could not be given priority over the principle of deference to the trial judge's exercise of discretion, since the sentence was not vitiated by an error in principle and the trial judge had not imposed a sentence that was clearly unreasonable by failing to give adequate consideration to certain factors or by improperly assessing the evidence ( M. (C.A.) , at para. 92, quoted in McDonnell , at para. 16; W. (G.) , at para. 19; see also Ferris, at p. 149, and Manson, at p. 93).
This Court has clearly confirmed the "trial judge's traditionally broad sentencing discretion" ( M. (C.A.) , at para. 56). Furthermore, this principle has been codified in s. 718.3 Cr . C . Owing to the very nature of an individualized sentencing process, sentences imposed for offences of the same type will not always be identical. The principle of parity does not preclude disparity where warranted by the circumstances , because of the principle of proportionality (see Dadour, at p. 18). As this Court noted in M. (C.A.) , at para. 92, " there is no such thing as a uniform sentence for a particular crime ".
From this perspective, an appellate court is justified in intervening only if the sentence imposed by the trial judge " is in substantial and marked departure from the sentences customarily imposed for similar offenders committing similar crimes " ( M. (C.A.) , at para. 92). [paras. 34-36] [Emphasis added] [ 34 ] What the Supreme Court says is that the fact a sentence is not similar to other sentences in similar situations is not of itself a valid ground justifying appellate interference.
A violation of the parity principle will only justify appellate interference if it meets the test enunciated for determining whether a sentence is clearly unreasonable, that is, it constitutes a substantial and marked departure from the sentences customarily imposed for similar offenders committing similar crimes . [ 35 ] In my view, Mr. Atkinson cannot meet the test of showing the sentence imposed was clearly
unreasonable, in that it constitutes a substantial and marked departure from the sentences customarily imposed for similar offenderscommitting similar crimes. I acknowledge Mr. Atkinson has been able to show cases where terms of imprisonment imposed for impaireddriving causing death have been significantly less than the one imposed in this case, but, as stated above in the extract from L.M., “thereis no such thing as a uniform sentence for a particular crime” (para. 36).
What the caselaw makes clear is that impaired driving causingdeath must be denounced and deterred and that these principles justify significant terms of imprisonment. This was made clear in R. v.Howe, 2007 NBCA 84, 330 N.B.R. (2d) 204, where the Court held as follows: Although a sentencing court must consider all of the applicable sentencing objectives and principles, jurisprudential
interpretation of thesentencing framework in matters involving impaired driving causing death calls for particular emphasis on the objectives of denunciationand general deterrence. Time and again, courts have recognized this need through statements such as those found at paras. 31-32 of R. v.Rhyason (B.P.) [2007 ABCA 119, [2007] A.J. No. 372 (QL)]: [Denunciation] This is important for this crime. Denunciation is especially needed to combat two still common views: that a death likethis is a mere accident, and that the victim was as much to blame.
Denunciation is also important in view of Canada's and Alberta's pastlax attitudes to drinking and driving. Drinking and driving must be seen as a true crime, and no longer be brushed off as a mere non-deliberate regulatory offence. [General Deterrence] This is also important. Impaired driving differs from most crimes. Most who commit this crime, or are tempted to,come from a respectable milieu where other crime is rare, and where jail shocks them and shames them.
They tend to plan their lives,and are not, on the whole, impulsive or shortsighted. [para. 34] [36] Admittedly, one finds a very broad range of sentences for impaired driving causing death in thejurisprudence. In R. v. Ruizfuentes, 2010 MBCA 90, [2010] M.J. No. 310 (QL), Chartier J.A. (as he then was) conveniently summarizedmany of these in an appendix to his decision. He first reviewed the sentences customarily imposed for first offenders, and then turned hisattention to those for second or subsequent offenders. In the latter category, he includes the following: R. v.
Regnier (R.H.), 2002 SKCA 82, 219 Sask.R. 316: Six years of imprisonment and a nine-year driving prohibition for criminalnegligence in the operation of a motor vehicle causing death. While impaired, and with two and one-half times the legal limit, he droveon the wrong side of the road and was involved in a head-on collision. The accused had a lengthy record of alcohol-related drivingoffences. R. v. Kaserbauer (P.), 2003 MBQB 28, 171 Man.R. (2d) 230: One year of imprisonment, plus 18 months of probation followed by athree-year driving prohibition for an accused who had a prior drinking and driving conviction.
R. v. Hall (2007), 2007 ONCA 8 , 83 O.R. (3d) 641 (C.A.): Four years' and ten months' imprisonment and a ten-year drivingprohibition. As his breathalyzer tests were conducted more than two hours after the offence, his blood alcohol was estimated to bebetween 129 and 165 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. He had a prior related record. R. v. Rhyason (B.P.), 2007 ABCA 119, 404 A.R. 191: Three years of imprisonment for impaired driving causing death. This was anincrease from the 18-month sentence he had received from the trial judge. He was 21 years old at the time of the offence and wasremorseful.
He registered low breathalyzer readings of .120 and .100. He had one previous drinking and driving conviction. R. v. Bear (C.C.), 2008 SKCA 172, 320 Sask.R. 12: Six years of imprisonment and a lifetime driving prohibition for impaired drivingcausing death and impaired driving causing bodily harm. The accused was 31 years old and, amongst other prior offences, had threeprevious convictions for impaired driving. He drove through a stop sign while impaired. In his pre-sentence report he was rated as a highrisk to reoffend, based primarily on his numerous failure-to-comply offences and his alcohol abuse.
The trial judge noted that theaccused had not accepted responsibility for the offence and, to the contrary, had attempted to shift blame to the other driver. R. v. Richard (A.L.), 2009 MBQB 181, 241 Man.R. (2d) 298: Six years of imprisonment and a 15-year driving prohibition. Although the33-year-old accused had no prior drinking and driving convictions, he had a serious criminal record for violent crime and warrants werein existence at the time of the offence for his arrest for failure to appear in court and failure to report for bail supervision.
His licence hadbeen suspended and he was under recognizance to abstain from alcohol when he went to a party and drank to the point of impairment. Hethen got behind the wheel of a van he knew was stolen. He got into an accident resulting in the death of the victim. The Crown asked forsix years; counsel for the accused submitted five years was appropriate.
R. v. Morneau, 2009 QCCA 1496: Six years of imprisonment and a 12-year driving prohibition for impaired driving causing death andimpaired driving causing bodily harm for a 39-year-old accused who had breathalyzer readings of .247. He also had three prior drinkingand driving convictions. Leave to appeal to S.C.C. refused, [2009] S.C.C.A. No. 408. R. v. Niganobe (J.), 2010 ONCA 508, 95 M.V.R. (5th) 175: Five years of imprisonment and a 15-year driving prohibition for impaireddriving causing death and impaired driving causing bodily harm.
The accused had a prior criminal record including a conviction forimpaired driving in 2003. She did not have a driver's licence and in fact had never been licensed to drive. The trial judge also found thatthe accused had not accepted responsibility for her conduct and therefore continued to pose a danger to the public. [37] In Ruisfuentes, the accused had an unrelated criminal record but had a significant record ofdriving infractions. In the relevant instance, he drove while impaired, was speeding, tailgating and driving through red lights when hecollided with another vehicle killing the driver.
The results of the breath samples showed him to have 120 milligrams of alcohol in 100millilitres of blood. He was sentenced to imprisonment for six years, but the Court of Appeal reduced it to four and a half years on thegrounds he should have been considered a first offender. [38] Mr. Atkinson argues that the Bear case summarized above is apposite. In that case, the trialjudge considered an appropriate range to be between four and eight years but settled on a sentence of six years, which was recognized onappeal as being at the high end. Mr.
Atkinson further relies on the decision in Morneau, also summarized above. To the list, he adds R.v. Mascarenhas, (ON CA), [2002] O.J. No. 2989 (C.A.) (QL), and R. v. Kummer, 2011 ONCA 39, [2011] O.J. No.234 (QL). In Mascarenhas, a driver with a blood alcohol level over four times the legal limit was operating a vehicle that struck andkilled two pedestrians. For the offences of criminal negligence causing death, he was sentenced to 9 years on each count to be servedconcurrently. To this were added terms imposed for other offences, all of which totaled 12 years before credit was given for pre-trialcustody.
The Ontario Court of Appeal upheld the concurrent sentences of 9 years for the criminal negligence causing death offences, butfound the total of 12 years to be excessive and reduced it to 10 years before giving credit for time served. In Kummer, the accused had ablood alcohol concentration of more than twice the legal limit when he caused a motor vehicle accident resulting in three deaths. He wassentenced to eight years’ imprisonment after he pled guilty to ten charges.
The sentence was upheld on appeal. [39] In my view, Mascarenhas and Kummer, although cases involving charges of criminalnegligence causing death, do not advance Mr. Atkinson’s position but rather support that of the Attorney General. In Mascarenhas,Abella J.A. (as she then was) made the following comments, which I readily adopt for cases of impaired driving causing death: […] courts have reinforced not only how serious and destructive offences committed by drunk drivers are, but also why such offencesdeserve the court's sternest opprobrium.
Sentences for criminal negligence causing death which involve drunk driving have tended to beimposed at the higher end of the sentencing range. […] ‘[G]eneral deterrence is the paramount objective in sentencing for offences ofdrinking and driving, especially where serious consequences result’. [para. 16] In 1994, this court affirmed a sentence of 8 years for criminal negligence causing death as a result of impaired driving in R. v. Hayes(1994), 1 M.V.R. (3d) 188 (Ont. C.A.).
Hayes had a 20-year problem with alcohol and a lengthy criminal record, including priorconvictions for dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, refusing to provide a breath sample and impaired driving. The criminalnegligence and impaired driving causing death charges were the result of an accident in which Hayes' van crossed into oncoming trafficand struck another vehicle, killing the driver and Hayes' own passenger. Prior to the accident, Hayes had been driving erratically, notablyswerving and passing over the crest of a hill.
The court held that the trial judge's sentence of 8 years ‘was at the upper end of the rangebut, in all of the circumstances, a fit one’. [para. 17] Two additional factors lead me to conclude that the sentence of 9 years for criminal negligence causing death is not unfit. The first is therecent observation of this court in R. v. Linden (2000), (ON CA), 147 C.C.C. (3d) 299 that sentences have increasedover the years when the offence involves drinking and driving.
In the court's words, at p. 300: ... [the offence of criminal negligence causing death] can be committed in so many ways that it defies the range-setting exercise. Thecases do not demonstrate a range, only a series of examples that are driven by an almost infinite variety of circumstances in which thisoffence can be committed ... The only principle that can be stated with assurance concerning this offence is that, where the offence involves not only reckless drivingconduct but the consumption of alcohol, the sentences have tended to increase in severity over the past twenty years. Otherwise, the
particular offence is very much driven by individual factors, especially the blameworthiness of the conduct. The more that the conducttends towards demonstrating a deliberate endangerment of other users of the road and pedestrians, the more serious the offence and themore likely that a lengthy prison term will be required. [Emphasis added by Abella J.A.]. [para. 20] [40] Abella J.A. (as she then was) also points out that Parliament has indicated its intention thatimpaired driving offences be viewed with severity.
This is particularly reflected in s. 255.1, which deems blood alcohol levels above 160milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood to be an aggravating factor on sentencing. She concludes: “These changes to the Criminal Codegive statutory expression to Parliament's intention that drinking and driving offences be treated with utmost severity by the courts andmandate an extension of the sentencing continuum in appropriate cases” (para. 25).
Again, I agree. [41] In Kummer, MacPherson J.A. notes that although the Court had recently upheld sentences offour and five years in cases where impaired driving had resulted in death (R. v. Ramage, 2010 ONCA 488, [2010] O.J. No. 2970 (QL),and R. v. Junkert, 2010 ONCA 549, [2010] O.J. No. 3387 (QL)), these sentences were not meant to “cap the sentences available for thiskind of offence” (para. 19). He gives three reasons for this: First, imposing such a cap would contradict the Criminal Code and defy the will of Parliament.
The maximum sentence for the offenceof impaired driving causing death is life imprisonment. It must remain within the realm of possibility that a life sentence could beimposed for this crime. Absent a determination that the maximum penalty is unconstitutional, this court is not entitled to lower themaximum penalty any more than it is entitled to raise it. Second, in Junkert itself this court cautioned against thinking formulaically about sentence ranges in drinking and driving cases involvingdeath.
As expressed by O'Connor A.C.J.O. at para. 40: I begin by noting that courts should be cautious in rigidly applying "a range" of sentences in cases such as this, involving impaireddriving causing death. In R. v. Heaslip (2001), 10 M.V.R. (4th) 220, 49 W.C.B. (2d) 347 (Ont. C.A.), in dismissing a Crown appeal froma sentence for two counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm, this court said: In R. v. L.(J.) [(2000), (ON CA), 147 C.C.C. (3d) 299 (Ont.
C.A.)], this Court also recognized that cases involvingdrinking and driving did not demonstrate a particular range of sentencing but rather that the sentences were driven by the almost "infinitevariety of circumstances in which this offence can be committed". Third, there is precedent for the imposition of sentences more severe than those found in Ramage and Junkert in impaired drivingcausing death cases. In R. v.
Wood (2005), (ON CA), 197 O.A.C. 43 (C.A.), the appellant, who had an extensivecriminal record, was sentenced to nine years' imprisonment after killing three people and injuring one while driving without a licensewith a blood alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit. In R. v. Mascarenhas (2002), (ON CA), 60 O.R. (3d) 465(C.A.), a nine-year sentence, [2000] O.J. No. 4707, was substituted by this court for one of twelve years. The appellant in that casestruck and killed two pedestrians while driving with a blood alcohol level between .339 and .353.
The appellant had three previousimpaired driving convictions, and at the time of the offence was on bail for a drinking and driving offence, had a suspended license, andwas on a recognizance that prohibited him from drinking and driving. [paras. 20-22] [42] I agree with MacPherson J.A. and particularly with the statement of O’Connor A.C.J.O. that“cases involving drinking and driving did not demonstrate a particular range of sentencing but rather that the sentences were driven bythe almost ‘infinite variety of circumstances in which this offence can be committed’”. [43] If anything, the range of appropriate sentences for impaired driving causing death is a verybroad one, and remains so out of necessity in order to reflect the myriad of circumstances under which these offences can be committed.The range is defined by sentences at both ends that are not clearly unreasonable, in that they do not constitute a substantial and markeddeparture from those customarily imposed.
Factors such as the degree of intoxication, the manner of driving and previous convictions areinfluential circumstances when imposing a sentence in the higher end of the range. In the present case, Mr. Atkinson was highlyintoxicated, driving with callous disregard for other users of the roadway, driving while his privilege was suspended, and had beenconvicted of related offences in four previous instances. These are very weighty factors. None of the mitigating factors have sufficientweight to offset the aggravating circumstances.
Thus, in my view, it is beyond dispute that the sentencing judge was justified in imposinga term of imprisonment at the high end of what can be considered a reasonable sentence. [44] The question then becomes what would constitute a substantial and marked departure from areasonable sentence for an offence of this type, in similar circumstances, by an offender similar to Mr. Atkinson? A particular sentence
will constitute a substantial and marked departure from sentences customarily imposed if the differences are considerable, and strikingly noticeable. However, in making this assessment, one has to consider that nothing compels a judge to impose identical sentences and that “[t]he principle of parity does not preclude disparity where warranted by the circumstances , because of the principle of proportionality”: L.M. at para. 36 .
One must also recall that the objective severity of the offence is reflected by its maximum punishment of imprisonment for life, which contemplates there are cases where such a sentence could be imposed. In addition, among the myriad of circumstances that can vary from case to case, one might consider a particular need for deterrence in the community where the offence occurred. Noteworthy in this regard is an unreported case counsel for Mr. Atkinson drew to our attention involving a double fatality resulting from a collision caused by an impaired driver only a few years prior to the present tragedy.
Finally, one has to consider the deference owed to a sentencing judge, whose role it is to have his finger on the pulse of the community in determining what will serve as loud denunciation and strong deterrence, in a case such as this, in order to fulfill the sentencing objectives set out in ss. 718 and 718.1. [ 45 ] It cannot be said that a sentence of imprisonment for ten years is disproportionate to the gravity of the offence. Mr. Atkinson, after all, killed a young mother of two.
He voluntarily became highly intoxicated and drove a motor vehicle on a busy roadway, in a wild and erratic manner, with total disregard for the safety of other motorists. To borrow from the trial judge, Mr. Atkinson gambled with Ms. Horsman’s life. It is she who lost. This was a terrible, and entirely preventable, tragedy for which he is solely responsible. Thus, the fundamental principle contained in s. 718.1, that the sentence be proportional to the gravity of the offence and Mr.
Atkinson’s degree of responsibility, is in no way offended by a sentence of ten years. [ 46 ] Admittedly, no one has identified any cases in New Brunswick where imprisonment for ten years has been imposed for an offence under s. 255(3) . Nevertheless, research has revealed cases in other provinces where, as MacPherson J.A. noted in Kummer , nine years has been imposed for similar types of offences, albeit in somewhat different circumstances.
In my view, a jump to ten years in the circumstances of the present case for this repeat offender is not one that a reasonable person would view as considerable or strikingly noticeable. It is still far removed from the maximum sentence endorsed by Parliament, yet it marks the courts’ increasing need to properly denounce this type of behaviour and deter those who might otherwise continue to leave this “terrible trail of death, injury, heartbreak and destruction” of which the Supreme Court spoke in Bernshaw . Thus, I see no merit to the second ground of appeal. V.
Disposition [ 47 ] For these reasons, while I would grant leave to appeal the sentence, I would dismiss the appeal. Since the hearing of this appeal, one of the panel members was appointed to the Federal Court and as Chief Justice of the Court Martial Appeal Court of Canada. According to s. 8(6.1) of the Judicature Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2, he may continue to exercise his powers as a judge of this Court for six months from the date of his appointment. To ensure this time frame is respected, I would order pursuant to s. 24(2) of the Official Languages Act , S.N.B. 2002, c.
O-0.5, that the English version of these reasons be published with the French version to follow. ___________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A. We concur: __________________________ B. Richard Bell, J.A. __________________________ Bradley V. Green, J.A .
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE RICHARD I. Introduction [1] Après avoir plaidé coupable, Boyd Reginald Atkinson, récidiviste accusé de conduite aveccapacités affaiblies ayant causé la mort (par. 255(3) du Code criminel du Canada) et de conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé deslésions corporelles (par. 255(2)) par suite du même accident, a été condamné le 21 novembre 2013 à des peines d’emprisonnementconcurrentes.
Au premier chef, le juge de la Cour provinciale lui a infligé une peine d’emprisonnement de dix ans, ramenée à neuf ans etcinq mois compte tenu de la durée de la détention préventive de M. Atkinson. Au second chef, le juge l’a condamné à trois ans deprison. Il a aussi interdit à M. Atkinson, à perpétuité, de conduire un véhicule à moteur. M. Atkinson demande l’autorisation d’interjeterappel de la peine prononcée pour l’infraction prévue au par. 255(3). Il soutient qu’elle est nettement déraisonnable et qu’elle n’est pasconforme aux peines habituellement infligées pour les crimes de ce genre.
Il avance en outre que le juge a accordé trop de poids auxrépercussions du crime sur la famille de la victime. [2] Pour les motifs exposés ci-après, je suis d’avis d’accueillir la demande d’autorisation d’appel,mais de rejeter l’appel. À mon sens, l’occasion s’offre à notre Cour de dénoncer vigoureusement le comportement de récidivistessusceptibles, comme M. Atkinson, d’une indifférence suprême pour la vie d’autrui.
L’occasion nous est aussi donnée de confirmer unepeine qui, outre qu’elle satisfait à l’objectif de dénonciation, pourra servir à dissuader de l’ivresse au volant quiconque inclinerait à cecomportement, dont la Cour suprême du Canada constate qu’il entraîne « [c]haque année […] énormément de décès, de blessures, de peine et de destruction » (R. c. Bernshaw, (SCC), [1995] 1 R.C.S. 254, [1994] A.C.S. no 87 (QL), par. 16). II. Faits [3] Kathy Horsman, jeune mère célibataire, avait deux enfants : une fille de seize ans et un fils dehuit ans. Elle était enseignante.
Vers 21 h 20 le 17 avril 2013, elle a connu une fin prématurée dans un accident de la route survenu tandisqu’elle circulait en direction est sur le chemin Berry Mills, à Moncton. Elle allait chercher sa fille après une soirée dansante qui s’étaittenue à l’école. La conduite avec capacités affaiblies de M. Atkinson est l’unique cause de la collision qui lui a enlevé la vie. [4] Le 17 avril 2013, M. Atkinson et Marc Landry ont fait l’achat d’alcool et, par la suite, se sontrendus à un pub du centre-ville de Moncton. Le soir venu, tous deux étaient dans un profond état d’ébriété.
Cette ébriété était plusavancée chez M. Landry, qui était propriétaire d’une voiture Grand Am 2000. L’analyse des échantillons prélevés après la collision qui a causé la mort de Mme Horsman a révélé chez M. Atkinson de 275 mg à 295 mg d’alcool par 100 ml de sang, quelque 339 mg par 100 mlde sang chez M. Landry. La conduite d’un véhicule à moteur devient une infraction criminelle passé 80 mg. [5] En dépit de la suspension de ses droits de conducteur, M. Atkinson s’est retrouvé au volant dela voiture Pontiac Grand Am.
Il est celui qui a franchi une double ligne jaune continue à haute vitesse pour entrer en collision avec le véhicule de Mme Horsman. [6] Avant la collision, la Grand Am allait en direction ouest sur la promenade Killam, route quisuit les abords du Colisée de Moncton et qui, par un passage supérieur, enjambe le boulevard Wheeler avant de devenir le chemin BerryMills. M. Atkinson, sur la promenade Killam, conduisait imprévisiblement. Il roulait lentement, freinait à tort et à travers, puis accéléraitfréquemment. La voiture s’écartait de sa voie.
Au carrefour de la première entrée du Colisée, elle s’est presque arrêtée au feu, pourtantpassé au vert. Elle s’est presque arrêtée, encore une fois, au carrefour de la deuxième entrée du Colisée, mais elle a repris de la vitesse eta parcouru deux zones hachurées, peintes de lignes jaunes continues, avant de rentrer dans sa propre voie. M. Atkinson a ensuite doublédes véhicules dans une zone où les doublements étaient interdits et il a évité, de justesse, de heurter le côté d’un camion venant en sensinverse.
Après avoir doublé l’un des véhicules, la Grand Am a franchi une autre zone hachurée de lignes jaunes continues et, s’écartantpar deux voies entières de la sienne, où elle circulait en direction ouest, s’est engagée tout à fait dans la voie de gauche, réservée à la circulation en direction est. C’est alors que M. Atkinson est entré en collision avec la voiture de Mme Horsman, qui avait ralenti et s’étaitdéportée sur sa droite, en
partie sur l’accotement, dans le but manifeste d’éviter la Grand Am qui fonçait sur elle.
[7] La Grand Am était équipée d’un module de diagnostic et de détection. Les données extraites à la suite de la collision indiquent que, immédiatement avant l’impact, M. Atkinson roulait à 136 km/h et accélérait. Il n’a pas freiné avant l’impact. La limite de vitesse, dans ce secteur, est de 60 km/h. [8] Soulevés et repoussés par la force de la collision, le train avant, le tableau de bord et les roues des deux véhicules entouraient les corps de leurs occupants. L’impact a occasionné à M me Horsman une fracture de la jambe et une hémorragie interne, dont elle est morte.
Le passager de la Grand Am, M. Landry, a subi une fracture de la cheville droite et de nombreuses ecchymoses. M. Atkinson a été blessé lui aussi. [9] Mis en accusation, M. Atkinson a plaidé coupable aux chefs de conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé la mort de M me Horsman et de conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé des lésions corporelles à M. Landry.
Les infractions dont il s’est reconnu coupable sont passibles, dans le cas de la conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé la mort ( par. 255(3) ), de l’emprisonnement à perpétuité, dans le cas de la conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé des lésions corporelles (par. 255(2)), d’un emprisonnement maximal de dix ans. [10] Lors de l’audience de détermination de la peine, il est apparu que des déclarations de culpabilité avaient été prononcées antérieurement contre M.
Atkinson pour des infractions apparentées : il avait été déclaré coupable de refus de fournir un échantillon de son haleine en 1989, de conduite avec une alcoolémie dépassant 80 mg par 100 ml de sang en 1992, et de deux infractions analogues en 2009. Il comparaissait donc en justice pour recevoir le prononcé de sa peine après avoir enfreint une cinquième et une sixième fois des dispositions apparentées du Code criminel . Étaient aussi portées au casier judiciaire de M. Atkinson deux déclarations de culpabilité pour avoir proféré des menaces (al. 264.1
a) et 264.1 b )) et une déclaration de culpabilité pour avoir omis de se conformer à une promesse (al. 145(3) b )) en 2008, de même que deux violations d’une ordonnance de probation (al. 733.1(1) b )) en 2009. Un rapport présentenciel indiquait que M. Atkinson était âgé de quarante-deux ans à l’époque du prononcé de la peine. Il est le père de deux enfants d’âge adolescent, qui n’habitaient toutefois pas avec lui à ce moment-là. M. Atkinson a relaté qu’il maîtrisait mal sa consommation d’alcool depuis ses dix-huit ans et qu’il avait suivi avec succès, en 2008, un programme de rétablissement en alcoolisme.
Il a reconnu cependant que l’alcool avait continué de lui donner du mal, même après l’achèvement du programme. [11] Le substitut du procureur général a fait valoir qu’il y avait lieu d’imposer des peines d’emprisonnement de dix et de trois ans pour les infractions prévues aux par. 255(3) et 255(2) respectivement. Lorsqu’il a présenté ses observations au juge chargé de déterminer la peine, il a demandé à introduire en preuve des éléments obtenus de M. Landry, ce à quoi M. Atkinson s’est opposé.
L’avocat de la poursuite a fait part au juge de l’information qui serait apportée : [TRADUCTION] Marc Landry, dans une déclaration, et dans une déclaration recueillie conformément à l’arrêt K.G.B. , indique qu’il était furieux contre l’accusé, parce que ce n’était pas la première fois que celui-ci l’avait terrifié par sa façon de conduire son véhicule. Et il a raconté qu’une autre fois… Il dit que ce doit avoir été une autre… l’été dernier, 2012, il dit que l’accusé conduisait sa voiture, la voiture de Marc Landry, sur le chemin Shediac, dans Moncton, et qu’il s’est mis à rouler n’importe comment, en fou.
Il dit qu’il avait très peur; il pensait perdre la vie. Il a dit que l’accusé roulait en pleine ville à 100 km/h ou plus, conduisait d’une main et le regardait au lieu de regarder la route. Il dit que l’accusé conduisait de cette façon, en lui souriant, et qu’il pensait mourir. Marc Landry dit qu’il a pu amener l’accusé à se ranger sur le côté de la route, qu’il s’est emparé des clés de la voiture et qu’il lui a dit qu’il ne conduirait plus jamais, au grand jamais, sa voiture.
L’information est donc de cette nature et je soutiens qu’elle sera pertinente le moment venu de déterminer s’il s’agit d’un incident ou d’une façon de conduire constituant un cas isolé. Marc Landry précise qu’il a dit à l’accusé de ne plus jamais conduire sa voiture, mais il ne peut expliquer comment il se fait que celui-ci la conduisait à leur départ [du pub]. J’estime qu’il s’agit d’une question à laquelle la Cour devra s’arrêter. [12] Après avoir entendu l’objection élevée par M.
Atkinson, le juge chargé de déterminer la peine a décidé qu’il ne serait pas nécessaire d’entendre la preuve, parce que l’information ne lui paraissait pas pertinente. Il s’est expliqué : [TRADUCTION] Que M. Landry ait dit à cet individu qu’il ne devait jamais plus conduire sa voiture change-t-il véritablement quelque chose? J’en vois mal la pertinence, puisqu’il la conduisait de toute évidence.
Très franchement, j’ai des réserves sur la pertinence de ces dépositions, et je pense qu’en toute, en toute justice, le… tout doute, sur ce point, doit jouer en faveur de l’accusé et je ne suis pas convaincu que la preuve est pertinente, de fait, quant à l’objet de l’audience de ce matin. [13] À l’audience de détermination de la peine, l’avocat de la défense a plaidé avant tout le principe énoncé à l’ al. 718.2
b) du Code criminel : « [L]’harmonisation des peines, c’est-à-dire l’infliction de peines semblables à celles infligées à des délinquants pour des infractions semblables commises dans des circonstances semblables ». Il a attiré l’attention du juge sur des causes présentant des similitudes avec celle de son client et soutenu qu’il convenait d’infliger des peines d’emprisonnement
concurrentes, d’une part de quatre à six ans pour l’infraction prévue au par. 253(3), d’autre part de deux ou trois ans pour celle que prévoit le par. 255(2). [14] Comme nous l’avons vu précédemment, le juge de la Cour provinciale a condamné M. Atkinson à des peines d’emprisonnement concurrentes de neuf ans et cinq mois et de trois ans. [15] Lorsqu’il a prononcé la peine, le juge a rappelé la façon dangereuse dont M. Atkinson conduisait et a conclu que l’accident n’avait [TRADUCTION] « été causé ni par une erreur de jugement ponctuelle ni par une inattention momentanée ».
Il a fait mention des peines maximales des deux infractions, en l’occurrence l’emprisonnement à perpétuité et un emprisonnement de dix ans, et il a fait remarquer ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « [O]n n’insistera jamais trop sur la gravité du problème de l’ivresse au volant […] les mesures prises ces dernières années par le Parlement, qui en a augmenté les peines tant maximales que minimales, expriment une nette reconnaissance du problème ». [16] Il s’est ensuite reporté au principe énoncé à l’ art. 255.1 du Code criminel , qui veut que la concentration d’alcool dans le sang de M.
Atkinson, qui était de plus de 160 mg d’alcool par 100 ml de sang, soit réputée être une circonstance aggravante. Le juge a également considéré comme un [TRADUCTION] « facteur aggravant important » les déclarations de culpabilité antérieures prononcées contre M. Atkinson pour des infractions apparentées. Il a noté que M. Atkinson avait purgé des peines d’incarcération par suite de deux de ces déclarations de culpabilité. Il a enfin signalé que ces déclarations de culpabilité et ces peines antérieures, tout comme le programme de rétablissement en alcoolisme dont M.
Atkinson avait bénéficié, semblaient [TRADUCTION] « n’avoir guère eu d’effet dissuasif ». [17] Le juge chargé de déterminer la peine a poursuivi son analyse ainsi : [TRADUCTION] L’ivresse au volant est une forme de… en réalité une forme de pari : le conducteur parie qu’il échappera à l’éventualité de conséquences terribles pour l’autre personne. De toute évidence, les déclarations de la victime présentées ce matin montrent que la perte peut prendre de nombreux visages, que l’enjeu, de fait, peut être énorme. La souffrance de la famille Horsman était manifeste.
Il ne fait aucun doute, à l’examen de la jurisprudence, que les facteurs primordiaux de la détermination de la peine, ici, sont la dissuasion et la dénonciation. M e Trahan a fait valoir que l’accusé, jusqu’à la fin de ses jours, serait hanté par la pensée qu’il a tué quelqu’un. Cette pensée devrait [mot accentué] avoir sur lui un effet dissuasif, mais la dissuasion ne s’arrête pas au seul contrevenant.
Il est essentiel que les peines infligées pour les infractions de ce genre signifient au grand public qu’il faut dénoncer ces crimes et que, sur déclaration de culpabilité, les conséquences pour le coupable seront sérieuses. [ Transcription, le 21 novembre 2013, p. 73 et 74. ] [18] Puis, le juge s’est reporté aux principes qui régissent la détermination de la peine.
Il a débuté par le principe fondamental énoncé à l’art. 718.1 suivant lequel « [l]a peine est proportionnelle à la gravité de l’infraction et au degré de responsabilité du délinquant », et il a affirmé que [TRADUCTION] « [r]ien ne saurait être plus grave que causer la mort d’autrui par suite de la perpétration d’un crime ». Comme l’exige l’ al. 718.2 a ) , le juge a tenu compte par la suite des facteurs tant aggravants qu’atténuants. Il a considéré comme des facteurs aggravants l’alcoolémie extraordinairement élevée de M.
Atkinson, ses déclarations de culpabilité antérieures et le fait que, ses droits de conducteur étant suspendus, il ne devait pas conduire du tout. Il a considéré comme des facteurs atténuants l’acceptation entière par M. Atkinson de la responsabilité de son crime et son plaidoyer de culpabilité, encore qu’il ait fait remarquer que ce plaidoyer, dans les circonstances, ne paraissait pas revêtir une grande importance. [19] Après quoi le juge est passé au principe de détermination de la peine posé à l’al. 718.2
b) du Code : « [L]’harmonisation des peines, c’est-à-dire l’infliction de peines semblables à celles infligées à des délinquants pour des infractions semblables commises dans des circonstances semblables ». Il a cependant indiqué qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « rare de trouver deux causes, ou plus, se correspondant précisément ». Il a conclu qu’une peine d’environ six ans ne [TRADUCTION] « traduirait pas la gravité de l’infraction, vu les antécédents de M. Atkinson ».
Il a donc arrêté son choix sur une peine de dix ans, détention préventive en moins, pour l’infraction de conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé la mort de M me Horsman. Enfin, il a adopté la peine dont les parties avaient essentiellement convenu en infligeant à M. Atkinson un emprisonnement de trois ans pour conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé des lésions corporelles à M. Landry et en lui interdisant à perpétuité de conduire un véhicule à moteur. III. Questions soulevées en appel [20] M.
Atkinson interjette appel de la peine de neuf ans et cinq mois à laquelle il a été condamné pour conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé la mort. Trois moyens d’appel étaient formulés à l’origine, mais deux seulement ont
été plaidés à l’audience. Le moyen délaissé avançait que la déposition de M. Landry déclarée non pertinente avait eu quelque influencesur le juge. Au début de l’audience d’appel, l’avocat de M. Atkinson, qui n’avait participé à la rédaction, ni de l’avis d’appel, ni dumémoire de l’appelant, a informé la Cour qu’il s’en tiendrait à deux moyens : 1) le juge chargé de déterminer la peine a accordé trop de poids aux répercussions de l’infraction sur les victimes; 2) la peine infligée est nettement déraisonnable et ne respecte pas le principe de parité énoncé à l’al. 718.2b) du Code criminel. IV.
Analyse [21] La norme de contrôle qui régit l’appel interjeté d’une peine est connue. Il en est donné une synthèse utile dans Steeves c. R., 2010 NBCA 57, 360 R.N.-B. (2e) 88, arrêt du juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., et elle a été appliquée tout récemment dans Snook c. R., 2014 NBCA 71, [2014] A.N.-B. no 305 (QL). Elle appelle à la déférence à moins que « la peine ne résulted’une erreur de droit ou d’une erreur de principe, ou qu’elle ne soit nettement déraisonnable » (par. 25 de Steeves). [22] À l’audition de l’appel, l’avocat de M.
Atkinson et le substitut du procureur général ont souscritl’un et l’autre à la norme de contrôle applicable et ont plaidé en conséquence. L’avocat de M. Atkinson a reconnu avec franchise que lapeine ne résultait pas d’une erreur de droit.
Son argumentation était axée sur les erreurs de principe qu’il invoquait et sur la raisonnabilitéde la peine. [23] Les erreurs de principe « consistent le plus souvent dans l’une ou l’autre des erreurs suivantes :l’application des mauvais principes de détermination de la peine, l’omission de tenir compte de facteurs pertinents ou la prise en comptede considérations non pertinentes », mais elles peuvent s’ensuivre également de « l’omission de reconnaître l’importance voulue àchaque circonstance pertinente », quoique ce genre d’erreur soit rare du fait que l’attribution d’un poids aux circonstances, en soi, appelle à la déférence (R. c.
R.K.J. (1998), (NB CA), 207 R.N.-B. (2e) 24, [1998] A.N.-B. no 483 (CA) (QL), par. 13, cité aupar. 26 de Steeves). [24] Pour ce qui est de l’appréciation de la raisonnabilité de la peine, il est à noter que la déférences’impose à moins que la peine ne soit « nettement déraisonnable ». Elle le sera, si « elle constitue un écart important et marqué parrapport à la peine habituellement infligée à des délinquants qui se trouvent dans la même situation et qui commettent des crimessemblables » (R.K.J., cité au par. 26 de Steeves). A. Répercussions sur les victimes [25] M.
Atkinson soutient que le juge chargé de déterminer la peine a accordé trop de poids auxrépercussions du crime sur les victimes. En toute déférence, ce moyen est sans fondement. [26] À l’audience de détermination de la peine, des déclarations de la victime ont été déposées, dont quelques-unes ont été lues à haute voix. Des membres de la famille y expliquent comment la mort tragique de Mme Horsman les atouchés. Dans sa décision, le juge a mentionné deux fois les répercussions du crime sur les victimes.
Il en a fait mention une premièrefois lorsqu’il a avancé que conduire avec des capacités affaiblies est une forme de pari qui peut avoir des conséquences terribles pourautrui. Il a expliqué ses propos ainsi : [TRADUCTION][…] De toute évidence, les déclarations de la victime présentées ce matin montrent que la perte peut prendre de nombreux visages, quel’enjeu, de fait, peut être énorme.
La souffrance de la famille Horsman était manifeste. […] [Transcription, le 21 novembre 2013, p. 73 et74.] [27] Le juge a mentionné une seconde fois les répercussions du crime sur les victimes lorsqu’il s’estpenché sur les facteurs atténuants. Il a constaté [TRADUCTION] « l’acceptation entière par M. Atkinson de la responsabilité de ce qui
[s’était] produit », mais il a ajouté : [TRADUCTION] « Sans doute est-ce une mince consolation pour la famille Horsman ». [28] Dans l’arrêt Steeves , le juge en chef Drapeau a analysé le rôle que jouent les déclarations de la victime dans le processus de détermination de la peine. Il a indiqué que l’examen qu’il faut réaliser de ces déclarations doit se faire « en parallèle avec la mise en œuvre des objectifs et principes bien connus de la détermination de la peine » (par. 34).
Il a expliqué plus loin que « [t]ous les facteurs pertinents doivent jouer dans l’élaboration de “sanctions justes” (art. 718) » et que « [l]es répercussions du crime sur la victime ne sont qu’un de ces facteurs » (par. 37). [29] Je ne vois aucune indication, dans les motifs du juge chargé de déterminer la peine, d’un manquement aux principes qui régissent les déclarations de la victime. Nul n’a prétendu que l’une ou l’autre de ces déclarations outrepassait les limites de ce que prescrit le par. 722(1). Les deux mentions faites par le juge des répercussions du crime sur les victimes me paraissent plutôt anodines.
Le juge exprimait tout simplement des évidences : (1) qui conduit avec des capacités affaiblies joue non seulement sa vie et sa santé, mais aussi celle d’autrui et, comme le montrent les répercussions du crime sur la famille de M me Horsman, la perte [TRADUCTION] « peut prendre de nombreux visages […] l’enjeu, de fait, peut être énorme »; (2) qui a perdu un être cher trouve une mince consolation dans l’acceptation de responsabilité, après coup, de l’auteur de sa mort. B. Principe de la parité et raisonnabilité de la peine [30] M.
Atkinson soutient que la peine qui lui a été infligée pour conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé la mort est nettement déraisonnable et contrevient au principe de la parité. [31] Je rappelle que l’appréciation de la raisonnabilité d’une peine doit se faire en déterminant si elle constitue « un écart important et marqué par rapport à la peine habituellement infligée à des délinquants qui se trouvent dans la même situation et qui commettent des crimes semblables », et que le principe de la parité, codifié à l’ al. 718.2
b) du Code criminel , veut « l’harmonisation des peines, c’est-à-dire l’infliction de peines semblables à celles infligées à des délinquants pour des infractions semblables commises dans des circonstances semblables ». Il existe toutefois une différence considérable entre les deux concepts. [32] Le principe de la parité n’est qu’un des nombreux principes qui, pour que soit réalisé l’objectif du prononcé des peines, doivent être pris en considération lors de l’élaboration d’une peine. Cet objectif est énoncé à l’art. 718 :
718. The fundamental purpose of sentencing is to contribute, along with crime prevention initiatives, to respect for the law and the maintenance of a just, peaceful and safe society by imposing just sanctions that have one or more of the following objectives: (
a) to denounce unlawful conduct; (
b) to deter the offender and other persons from committing offences; (
c) to separate offenders from society, where necessary; (
d) to assist in rehabilitating offenders; (
e) to provide reparations for harm done to victims or to the community; and (
f) to promote a sense of responsibility in offenders, and acknowledgment of the harm done to victims and to the community. 718. Le prononcé des peines a pour objectif essentiel de contribuer, parallèlement à d’autres initiatives de prévention du crime, au respect de la loi et au maintien d’une société juste, paisible et sûre par l’infliction de sanctions justes visant un ou plusieurs des objectifs suivants :
a) dénoncer le comportement illégal;
b) dissuader les délinquants, et quiconque, de commettre des infractions;
c) isoler, au besoin, les délinquants du reste de la société;
d) favoriser la réinsertion sociale des délinquants;
e) assurer la réparation des torts causés aux victimes ou à la collectivité;
f) susciter la conscience de leurs responsabilités chez les délinquants, notamment par la reconnaissance du tort qu’ils ont causé aux victimes et à la collectivité. [33] Envisagée de ce point de vue, la parité n’est pas un impératif : elle est un facteur parmi de nombreux autres. Le raisonnement adopté par la majorité des juges de la Cour suprême dans R. c.
L.M. , 2008 CSC 31 , [2008] 2 R.C.S. 163 , exprimé par les motifs du juge LeBel, le confirme : Par ailleurs, la majorité de la Cour d’appel fait grand cas du principe de l’harmonisation des peines (par. 41 et suiv.) qui demeure, en effet, l’un des principes normatifs prévus au Code criminel en matière de détermination de la peine ( art. 718.2 C. cr. ). Bien que ce principe permette de tempérer l’élément discrétionnaire du processus de détermination de la peine, il a cependant été mal employé par la majorité de la Cour d’appel.
On ne pouvait prioriser cet exercice d’harmonisation des peines au détriment de la règle du respect de la discrétion du juge de procès, dans la mesure où la sentence n’était pas entachée d’une erreur de principe et où la première juge n’avait pas infligé une peine nettement déraisonnable en accordant une attention inadéquate à des facteurs particuliers ou en évaluant incorrectement la preuve ( M. (C.A.) , par. 92, cité dans McDonnell , par. 16; W. (G.) , par. 19; voir aussi Ferris, p. 149, et Manson, p. 93).
Notre Cour a clairement confirmé le « vaste pouvoir discrétionnaire dont dispose depuis toujours le juge du procès en matière de détermination de la peine » ( M. (C.A.) , par. 56). Ce principe a d’ailleurs été codifié à l’art. 718.3 C. cr. Des peines prononcées à l’égard des mêmes catégories d’infraction ne seront pas toujours parfaitement semblables, en raison de la nature même d’un processus de détermination de la peine axé sur l’individu.
En effet, le principe de la parité n’interdit pas la disparité si les circonstances le justifient , en raison de l’existence de la règle de la proportionnalité (voir Dadour, p. 18). Comme notre Cour l’a rappelé dans M. (C.A.) , par. 92, « il n’existe pas de peine uniforme pour un crime donné ».
Dans un tel contexte, une cour d’appel n’est justifiée d’intervenir que si la peine qu’a infligée le juge du procès « s’écarte de façon marquée et substantielle des peines qui sont habituellement infligées à des délinquants similaires ayant commis des crimes similaires » ( M. (C.A.) , par. 92). [par. 34 à 36] [Je souligne.] [34] La Cour suprême explique que la dissemblance d’une peine et d’autres peines prononcées au regard de situations semblables n’est pas en soi un motif valable d’intervention en appel.
Une peine dérogeant au principe de la parité ne justifiera l’intervention en appel que si elle répond au critère appliqué pour déterminer si une peine est nettement déraisonnable, c’est-à- dire si elle s’écarte de façon marquée et substantielle des peines qui sont habituellement infligées à des délinquants similaires ayant commis des crimes similaires.
[35] J’estime que ce critère ne peut être rempli et que M. Atkinson ne peut montrer que la peineinfligée était nettement déraisonnable, au sens où elle se serait écartée de façon marquée et substantielle des peines qui sonthabituellement infligées à des délinquants similaires ayant commis des crimes similaires. Certes, M.
Atkinson a été en mesure deprésenter des jugements dans lesquels ont été infligées, pour conduite avec capacités affaiblies ayant causé la mort, des peinesd’emprisonnement de durée sensiblement moindre qu’ici, mais, comme l’indique l’extrait précité de L.M., « il n’existe pas de peineuniforme pour un crime donné » (par. 36). Ce qu’établit la jurisprudence, c’est qu’il faut dénoncer la conduite avec capacités affaibliescausant la mort et dissuader de ce crime, et que ces principes de dénonciation et de dissuasion justifient d’importantes peines d’emprisonnement. Notre Cour l’a indiqué clairement dans R c.
Howe, 2007 NBCA 84, 330 R.N.-B. (2e) 204 : Bien que le tribunal qui détermine la peine doive tenir compte de l’ensemble des objectifs et principes de la détermination de la peine quisont applicables, l’interprétation jurisprudentielle du cadre qui régit la détermination de la peine dans des instances relatives à la conduiteavec facultés affaiblies causant la mort exige que l’on insiste davantage sur les objectifs que sont la dénonciation et la dissuasiongénérale. Les tribunaux ont, maintes et maintes fois, reconnu cette nécessité dans des exposés comme celui que l’on trouve aux par. 31 et32 de l’arrêt R. c.
Rhyason [2007 ABCA 119, [2007] A.J. No. 372 (QL)] : [TRADUCTION][La dénonciation] Elle est importante dans le cas de ce crime. La dénonciation est particulièrement nécessaire pour combattre deuxopinions qui ont toujours cours : celle voulant qu’un décès comme celui-ci soit un simple accident et celle voulant que la responsabilitéen incombe tout autant à la victime. La dénonciation est également importante compte tenu de l’attitude laxiste qu’avaient, dans le passé,le Canada et l’Alberta à l’égard de la conduite avec facultés affaiblies par l’alcool.
Celle-ci doit être considérée comme un crimevéritable, et ne plus être tenue pour négligeable parce qu’elle constituerait une simple infraction réglementaire non intentionnelle. [La dissuasion générale] Elle aussi est importante. La conduite avec facultés affaiblies est différente de la plupart des crimes. La majoritédes personnes qui commettent ce crime, ou sont tentées de le commettre, sont issues d’un milieu respectable où les autres crimes sontrares et où la prison est un scandale et une honte.
Ces personnes ont tendance à organiser leur vie et dans l’ensemble, elles ne sont pasimpulsives et n’ont pas la vue courte. [par. 34] [36] Il est vrai que, dans la jurisprudence, la conduite avec capacités affaiblies causant la mort estpunie de peines très diverses. En
annexe de R. c. Ruizfuentes, 2010 MBCA 90, [2010] M.J. No. 310 (QL), le juge d’appel Chartier (telétait alors son titre) a donné un résumé pratique de bon nombre des précédents. Il a passé en revue les peines habituellement infligées auxdélinquants primaires d’abord, aux récidivistes ensuite. Les décisions suivantes appartiennent à la seconde catégorie : [TRADUCTION]R. c. Regnier, 2002 SKCA 82, 219 Sask.R. 316 : un emprisonnement de six ans et une interdiction de conduire de neuf ans pour avoircausé la mort par négligence criminelle dans la conduite d’un véhicule à moteur.
L’accusé, dont les facultés étaient affaiblies et dontl’alcoolémie excédait par deux fois et demie la limite permise, avait circulé du mauvais côté de la route et provoqué une collisionfrontale. Son casier judiciaire était lourd d’infractions de conduite liées à l’alcool. R. c. Kaserbauer, 2003 MBQB 28, 171 Man.R. (2d) 230 : un emprisonnement d’un an auquel s’ajoutait une probation de dix-huit mois,emprisonnement également suivi d’une interdiction de conduire de trois ans. L’accusé avait été déclaré coupable d’ivresse au volant uneautre fois auparavant. R. c.
Hall (2007), 2007 ONCA 8 , 83 O.R. (3d) 641 (C.A.) : un emprisonnement de quatre ans et dix mois et une interdiction deconduire de dix ans. Parce que les analyses d’haleine avaient été réalisées plus de deux heures après l’infraction, une alcoolémieestimative de 129 à 165 mg d’alcool par 100 ml de sang avait été attribuée à l’accusé. Il avait des antécédents judiciaires apparentés. R. c. Rhyason, 2007 ABCA 119, 404 A.R. 191 : un emprisonnement de trois ans pour conduite avec facultés affaiblies ayant causé lamort. La peine de dix-huit mois infligée par le juge du procès a été accrue.
L’accusé avait vingt et un ans au moment de l’infraction et ilmanifestait des remords. Les alcoolémies mesurées avaient été faibles : 120 et 100 mg d’alcool par 100 ml de sang. Une seule déclarationde culpabilité pour ivresse au volant avait été prononcée contre lui. R. c. Bear, 2008 SKCA 172, 320 Sask.R. 12 : un emprisonnement de six ans et une interdiction de conduire à perpétuité pour conduiteavec facultés affaiblies ayant causé la mort et conduite avec facultés affaiblies ayant causé des lésions corporelles.
L’accusé était âgé detrente et un ans, et trois déclarations de culpabilité pour conduite avec facultés affaiblies, entre autres infractions, étaient inscrites à soncasier judiciaire. Il avait brûlé un panneau d’arrêt tandis que ses facultés étaient affaiblies. Le rapport présentenciel estimait que le risquede récidive était élevé, compte tenu surtout des nombreuses infractions de l’accusé pour omission de se conformer et de son abus
d’alcool. Le juge du procès avait constaté que l’accusé n’acceptait pas la responsabilité de l’infraction et qu’il avait tenté, au contraire,d’en rejeter la faute sur la conductrice de l’autre véhicule. R. c. Richard, 2009 MBQB 181, 241 Man.R. (2d) 298 : un emprisonnement de six ans et une interdiction de conduire de quinze ans.L’accusé, âgé de trente-trois ans, n’avait pas d’antécédents judiciaires pour ivresse au volant, mais il avait un casier judiciaire chargé decrimes de violence. À l’époque de l’infraction, il était sous le coup de mandats d’arrestation pour avoir omis de comparaître et omis de seprésenter à son surveillant de liberté conditionnelle.
Malgré la suspension de son permis et un engagement de s’abstenir de consommerde l’alcool, il s’était rendu à une soirée et avait bu jusqu’à l’affaiblissement de ses facultés. Par la suite, il avait pris le volant d’unefourgonnette qu’il savait être volée. Il avait eu un accident qui avait mené à la mort de la victime. Le ministère public avait demandé sixans; l’avocat de l’accusé avait soutenu qu’une peine de cinq ans serait appropriée. R. c. Morneau, 2009 QCCA 1496 : un emprisonnement de six ans et une interdiction de conduire de douze ans pour conduite aveccapacités affaiblies ayant causé la mort et conduite avec capacités affaiblies