R. v. Peterson, 2017 NBCA 29
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 115-15-CA HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN APPELLANT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE APPELANTE - and - - et - MICHAEL LLOYD PETERSON RESPONDENT MICHAEL LLOYD PETERSON INTIMÉ R. v. Peterson, 2017 NBCA 29 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French R. c.
Peterson, 2017 NBCA 29 CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: November 4, 2015 (conviction) November 27, 2015 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : le 4 novembre 2015 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 27 novembre 2015 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: February 23, 2017 Appel entendu : le 23 février 2017 Judgment rendered: June 29, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 29 juin 2017
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Kathryn Gregory For the respondent: Margaret Gallagher, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge French Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelante : Kathryn Gregory Pour l’intimé : Margaret Gallagher, c.r. THE COURT Leave to appeal is granted.
The appeal is allowed and the sentence is varied to a term of imprisonment of 11 years, six months less 216 days for time served in pre-trial custody. LA COUR L’autorisation d’appel est accordée. L’appel est accueilli et la peine est remplacée par une peine carcérale de 11 ans et 6 mois moins 216 jours pour la période passée en détention avant le procès. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Her Majesty the Queen applies for leave to appeal a sentence imposed by a Provincial Court judge on November 27, 2015.
The Crown submits the sentence imposed was “inordinately low, demonstrably unfit and unreasonable in all the circumstances”, having regard to the principles, objectives, and purposes of sentencing. The issue on appeal is whether the sentencing judge properly applied the principles relating to consecutive and concurrent sentences and, in particular, the principle of totality.
The Crown submits that, as a result of the improper application of these principles, the resulting sentence of five years and six months, less 216 days remand time, was unfit and the global sentence should be increased to a range of 10-12 years incarceration. II. Background
[ 2 ] On June 18, 2015, Mr. Peterson robbed a bank in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia. Days later, he robbed the same bank on June 24. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police obtained a Canada-wide arrest warrant. [ 3 ] During the ensuing week and a half, Mr. Peterson made his way to New Brunswick. On July 5th, he stole items from a vehicle parked at Killarney Lake in Fredericton. Later that day, he broke into a residence and stole a laptop, a wallet and $2,000 worth of jewellery, while the homeowner was in the house. The victim confronted Mr.
Peterson during the incident. [ 4 ] The next morning, the police encountered Mr. Peterson at a gas station in Fredericton. Mr. Peterson fled, leading them on a car chase through a heavily populated residential neighbourhood in the Woodstock Road area. At sentencing, counsel for the Crown emphasized the extreme circumstances in which Mr. Peterson attempted to evade the police. Notably, he was speeding, and caused damage to a number of properties while driving through back yards. At one point, officers attempted to apprehend Mr. Peterson after he pulled into the driveway of a residence.
Upon exiting their vehicle to approach Mr. Peterson, he put the vehicle in reverse and accelerated toward the police cruiser. The officers jumped out of the vehicle’s path, escaping injury, but their vehicle sustained damage. [ 5 ] Mr.
Peterson pled guilty to 11 of 12 Criminal Code charges stemming from these events, including: • Robbery (bank) on June 18th contrary to s. 344(1)(b); • Robbery (bank) on June 24th contrary to s. 344(1)(b); • Motor vehicle theft contrary to s. 333.1(1)(a); • Mischief (by damaging property) contrary to s. 430(4)(a); • Assaulting a peace officer with a weapon contrary to s. 270.01(2)(a); • Dangerous operation of motor vehicles contrary to s. 249(2)(a); • Flight contrary to s. 249.1(2)(a); • Possession of property obtained by crime (value under $5000) contrary to s. 355(b)(i); • Possession of property obtained by crime (value exceeding $5000) contrary to s. 355(a). [ 6 ] He also entered a guilty plea for: • Breaking and entering with intent, and committing an indictable offence therein (s. 348(1)(b), with an aggravating circumstance of home invasion, contrary to s. 348.1). [ 7 ] Mr.
Peterson has 50 prior convictions. They include, but are not limited to: at least six for robbery, 19 related to theft and property offences, two for assaulting a police officer, two for obstructing justice, two for assault and one for flight while being pursued by a peace officer. [ 8 ] After reviewing the facts, the trial judge sentenced Mr. Peterson to five years and six months in prison. Before us, Crown counsel submits the sentence imposed is marred by a series of legal errors which led to an unfit sentence.
The Crown asks us to vary the sentence to a range of 10 to 12 years in custody, as requested at the sentencing hearing. [ 9 ] For the reasons that follow, I would grant leave, allow the appeal and vary Mr. Peterson’s sentence. Given the series of events and the extent to which the interplay between those events and the charges attributed to them were perceived by the sentencing judge, I will review the judge’s reasoning in detail. III. Grounds of Appeal
[10] Crown counsel submits the sole issue for this appeal is whether the sentencing judge erred in law and inprinciple by imposing a sentence that was inordinately low, demonstrably unfit and unreasonable in all of the circumstances havingregard to the fundamental purposes, objectives and principles of sentencing. Of course, the Crown requires leave from this Court toappeal the sentence. The issues are framed as follows:
(1) Did the trial judge err in imposing concurrent sentences and in his application of the “totality” principle?
(2) Was the sentence imposed for robbery and home invasion demonstrably unfit?
(3) Was the sentence imposed for the high-speed car chase and assault with a weapon on peace officers demonstrably unfit? [11] In Steeves v. R., 2010 NBCA 57, 360 N.B.R. (2d) 88, Drapeau C.J.N.B. discusses the standard of reviewapplicable to sentence appeals: Appellate courts may also be called upon to determine whether the contested sentence reflects a proper application of the principles ofsentencing. Most of those principles are now codified in
Part XXIII of the Criminal Code. It is axiomatic that, while great deference isowed to the sentencing judge’s weighting of the relevant factors, correctness is the standard by which his or her understanding of thegoverning principles is reviewed on appeal. Finally, courts of appeal may engage in a consideration of the quantum itself. Here, once again, great deference is owed to the sentencingjudge’s judgment-call.
The sentence under consideration will be at risk of variation if, and only if, it is a substantial and markeddeparture from the sentence customarily imposed for similarly situated offenders committing similar crimes. In sum, a court of appeal is not at liberty to substitute its view of fitness for that of the sentencing judge unless the sentence imposed isthe product of either an error of law or an error in principle, or unless it is clearly unreasonable (see R. v. Shropshire, (SCC), [1995] 4 S.C.R. 227, [1995] S.C.J. No. 52 (QL), at paras. 46-48; R. v. Solowan, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 309, [2008] S.C.J.
No. 55 (QL),2008 SCC 62, at para. 16; R. v. L.M. [2008] 2 S.C.R. 163, [2008] S.C.J. No. 31 (QL), 2008 SCC 31, at paras. 14-15; and R. v. C.A.C.(2009), 349 N.B.R. (2d) 265, [2009] N.B.J. No. 342 (QL), 2009 NBCA 68 (Bell, J.A. for the Court, at para. 4)). If the sentence at issueis the result of reversible error, the court of appeal bears the burden of prescribing the punishment that it considers fit in thecircumstances. [paras. 23-25] [12] In R. v. LeBlanc (G.A.), 2003 NBCA 75, 264 N.B.R. (2d) 341, Drapeau C.J.N.B. frames the analysis to beundertaken: A number of recent decisions including, among others, R. v.
H.S.L. (2000), 2000 NBCA 54 , 231 N.B.R. (2d) 358; 597 A.P.R.358 (C.A.), at para. 28, R. v. Parent (D.) (2001), 2001 NBCA 60 , 236 N.B.R. (2d) 370; 611 A.P.R. 370 (C.A.), at para. 8, R. v.R.P. (2001), 2001 NBCA 115 , 245 N.B.R. (2d) 179; 636 A.P.R. 179 (C.A.), at para. 11, R. v. Daigle (M.), [2002] N.B.R. (2d)(Supp.) No. 4 (C.A.), at para. 8, R. v. Kerton (R.E.) et al. (2002), 2002 NBCA 40 , 250 N.B.R. (2d) 177; 650 A.P.R. 177 (C.A.),at para. 25, and R. v. Kuriya, 2003 NBCA 63 , [2003] N.B.J.
No. 336; 261 N.B.R. (2d) 153; 685 A.P.R. 153 (C.A.), at paras. 20-21, stand for the proposition that intervention on appeal against sentence is inappropriate unless at least one of the following questions isanswered affirmatively:
(1) Is the sentence the result of an error of law?
(2) Did the sentencing judge err in principle in the exercise ofhis or her discretion?
(3) Is the sentence clearly unreasonable having regard to the fundamental purpose and objectives of sentencing (s.718), as well as the principles enunciated in sections 718.1 and 718.2 of the Criminal Code? [para. 17] [13] In my view, the response to each of these three questions, in this case, must be in the affirmative. Appellateintervention is warranted. The judge erred in law in his decision to impose concurrent sentences for many of the offences as well as in hisapplication of the totality principle.
These errors impacted upon the sentence imposed, resulting in a sentence that was demonstrablyunfit and unreasonable in the circumstances: R. v. Lacasse, 2015 SCC 64, [2015] 3 S.C.R. 1089 at para. 11. IV. Analysis A. The trial judge erred in applying the totality principle and imposing a global concurrent sentence
[ 14 ] In cases such as the one before us, where offenders are being sentenced to multiple consecutive sentences, the general principle of proportionality expresses itself through the more particular totality principle. Judges sentencing offenders to serve consecutive sentences from multiple offences must ensure the cumulative sentence does not exceed the overall culpability of the offender. [ 15 ] In R. v.
Daye , 2010 NBCA 53 , 362 N.B.R. (2d) 1, Larlee J.A. delineates the process to be followed by sentencing courts in applying the totality principle: It must not be forgotten that if a consecutive sentence is to be imposed, the totality principle is engaged ( s. 718.2 ( c )). In Arbuthnot , Chartier J.A. makes these comments about the approach to be taken with respect to the totality principle: In light of the numerous offences involved, I must first determine whether any of the sentences will be served consecutively to one another. If so, the totality principle found at s. 718.2 (
c) is engaged and the comprehensive sentencing approach set out by the Supreme Court of Canada in 1996 in M. (C.A.) is to be followed (see also R. v. Reader (M.) 2008 MBCA 42 , 225 Man.R. (2d) 118 at paras. 25-28 , Traverse , at paras. 33-35 , and more recently, Grant , at para . 98). That approach involves the following: 1) The sentencing judge must first determine whether any or all of the offences are to be served consecutively. If all of the offences are to be served concurrently, then there are no totality concerns and there is no need for the sentencing judge to proceed to the next step.
If all or some of the offences are to be served consecutively, then the sentencing judge must impose the appropriate sentence for each offence or group of offences that are to be served consecutively in accordance with the appropriate sentencing principles (including those governing consecutive sentences), and then proceed to the next step. 2) The total of the consecutive sentences should then be calculated with the sentencing judge taking one last look at the total sentence. The last look is a more focussed application of the general principle of proportionality (see M. (C.A.) , at para. 42).
It does not require a reconsideration of the sentencing principles applied in 1) above. Rather, this last look ensures that the total sentence is not unduly long or harsh.
To make this determination, the sentencing judge is to consider the gravity of the offences, the offender's moral culpability, the harm done to the victims, that the effect of the sentence is not "crushing," and that it be in keeping with the offender's record and future prospects (see Traverse , at paras. 33-35, 65). [para. 18] [para. 16] [ 16 ] Also in Daye , this Court states consecutive sentences are to be imposed unless there is a reasonably, close nexus between the offences in time and place as part of one continuing criminal operation or transaction.
Courts must take a commonsense approach in this analysis. For example, concurrent sentences may be appropriate where they are committed as part of a continuous criminal endeavor that takes place during a relatively short period of time. [ 17 ] However, in R. v. Howe , 2007 NBCA 84 , 330 N.B.R. (2d) 204, Richard J.A. observes multiple appellate courts have departed from concurrent sentences where the offences, though part of the same transaction, are intrusions on different legally protected interests (para. 29). In R. v. Skinner , 2016 NSCA 54 , [2016] N.S.J.
No. 255 (QL) , at para. 49 , the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal allowed the Crown’s appeal of sentence, on the basis that the trial judge’s error in the application of the totality principle “had an impact on the sentence ordered” within the meaning of the Supreme Court’s newest pronouncements in Lacasse . [ 18 ] In the case before us, Mr. Peterson had a number of previous convictions for robbery. The latest was in 2013, and was accompanied by other thefts, flight from police pursuit, and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.
The primary principles of s. 718 of the Criminal Code to be applied in his sentencing were those of specific deterrence, general deterrence, denunciation, and the need to separate Mr. Peterson from society. The principle of rehabilitation had been virtually exhausted in light of Mr. Peterson’s extensive criminal record. Indeed, s. 718.02 requires primary consideration of deterrence and denunciation with respect to the assault with a weapon on peace officers. [ 19 ] At the sentencing hearing, counsel for Mr. Peterson suggested a four to five year sentence on the basis of the “step” principle.
This was to be applied to Mr. Peterson’s previous sentences for the same offences. In my view, this principle should only be applied for offenders where rehabilitation is a significant sentencing factor. In Frigault v. R. , 2012 NBCA 8 , 383 N.B.R. (2d) 266, this Court says: Saunders J.A. discusses the “jump” or “step” principle in R. v. Bernard , 2011 NSCA 53 , [2011] N.S.J. No. 301 (QL) :
In certain circumstances it may be necessary for judges to consider the “jump” (or “step”) effect in punishing for unlawful behaviour. This is intended to take into account the level of severity in penalties for previous offences when compared to the sentence about to be imposed. In other words, it is a recognition of the importance of comparing the relative degrees of punishment for past and present offences. [...] While the so-called “jump”, “step” and “gap” factors are not explicitly codified in s. 718 , their application has become part of the sentencing lexicon.
These three factors may be deduced from what the Criminal Code terms the “fundamental principle” of sentencing in s. 718.1 , that is, that the sentence “must be proportionate to the gravity of the offence and the degree of culpability of the offender”. I need not decide whether these concepts have become elevated to recognized sentencing principles or are simply labels used to explain logical and relevant features of sentencing.
Essentially, they are concepts or norms which may be applied where consecutive sentences are imposed so as to ensure that “the combined sentence should not be unduly long or harsh” ( s. 718.2 (c)). [...] [paras. 33 and 36] Clayton Ruby, in Sentencing (7th ed), (Markham, Ont.: LexisNexis, 2008), sets out the reasoning behind the “jump effect” commencing at page 389: s. 8.79 One of the features often disclosed by an examination of a criminal record is the fact that the sentence imposed or to be imposed in the instant case is considerably longer than any previously imposed.
Even when there is a marked increase in the seriousness of the crime committed, there should not be too great a “jump” in the length of the sentence imposed: “sentences for a repeat offender should increase gradually, rather than by large leaps”. This is really no more than the principle that if less will do, then more is superfluous, now reflected in
section 718 (
d) of the Criminal Code . Accordingly in [ Re Morand and Simpson , [1959] S.J. No. 52 (C.A.) (QL) ], the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal noted, as one of the reasons for reducing a sentence from four years to three years, that the longest sentence previously imposed was two years. Sentences will also be reduced if they represent an excessive increase over previous sentences. Thus, in [ R. v. Alfs , [1974] O.J.
No. 1046 (C.A.) (QL) ], the Ontario Court of Appeal noted that the appellant had never received a custodial term before and for that, among other reasons, the court varied a four-year sentence for armed robbery to one of time served, being about ten months followed by one year’s probation. A principle has emerged: in [ R. v.
Sloane , [1973] 1 N.S.W.L.R. 202], a jump from a non-custodial sentence to eight years’ imprisonment was described as one which “offends in principle”. s. 8.80 This principle does not justify increasing the sentence beyond that imposed previously; rather it is a rule that tends to limit such an increase -- where otherwise appropriate and necessary -- to one imposed in an incremental manner.
However, proportionality remains the fundamental principle of sentencing, and as a result the jump principle may “plateau” when an offender has a very long record. [Citations omitted.] As indicated by Saunders J.A. in Bernard , in certain cases it may be necessary for judges to consider the jump principle when sentencing. This is not such a case. Mr. Frigault has a lengthy criminal record. Although his previous sentence was one year consecutive on each of two charges of break, enter and theft, this was Mr. Frigault’s fifth break and enter and he has been incarcerated previously. In Andrade v.
R. , 2010 NBCA 62 , 363 N.B.R. (2d) 159 , Robertson J.A. discussed the importance of an accused's previous record: There is no doubt that the trial judge’s sentencing decision was influenced by the length of the appellant’s criminal record (24 prior convictions). Of course, a previous criminal record is critical to the matter of the offender’s “character” and Parliament’s sentencing objectives. It is through the offender’s criminal record that the potential for rehabilitation, recidivism and future dangerousness may be assessed.
This explains why the law is often preoccupied with the nature or seriousness of the convictions and, in particular, previous convictions for the same offence. Inevitably, the sentencing court will resort to the penalty actually imposed as evidence of the seriousness of the offence. [para. 24] If one were to view the sentence imposed for the breach of probation and the break and enter in isolation, one might question whether the sentencing judge disregarded the jump principle.
However, I am of the view the application of the jump principle is useful in the consideration of sentencing on single offences and is of less utility in cases where a judge is sentencing an accused with a lengthy criminal record on multiple convictions. In such cases, after considering the principles of sentencing set out in the Code , the judge’s focus is understandably on determining the appropriate global sentence. Although the judge did not specifically state why he was imposing the sentence he did, it is apparent from the exchange between Mr. Frigault and the judge that he fairly assessed Mr.
Frigault’s circumstances and appropriately considered the principles of sentencing. In considering the application of the “jump” principle to the case before us, one must look to the standard of review which instructs appeal courts to take a deferential approach on sentence appeals. In R. v. LeBlanc , 2003 NBCA 75 , 264 N.B.R. (2d) 341 , Drapeau C.J.N.B. clearly stated that appeal courts should not intervene on sentence appeals unless: (1) the sentence is the result of an error in law, (2) the judge erred in principle in exercising his or her discretion,
or (3) the sentence is clearly unreasonable having regard to s. 718 of the Code (para. 17). In this case, none of these three factors exists. [paras. 16-19] [20] In R. v. Kory, 2009 BCCA 146, [2009] B.C.J. No. 778 (QL), Ryan J.A. discusses the step principle in thecontext of a break and enter in which the residents were present. As in the case at bar, the accused had a lengthy history of criminalactivity. His record, totaling 36 convictions, included eight break and enters, and 14 theft and possession of stolen property convictions(para. 4).
In increasing the two-year sentence (with one year credit for remand), Ryan J.A. observes: “In a case such as this, where therespondent has a lengthy record for which he has received consistently low sentences for the same type of offence, the step-up principleis not of great assistance. It has not worked” (para. 7). Emphasizing the seriousness of the offence, and the lack of rehabilitation ordeterrence reflected in the accused’s record, she recognized courts give the step principle less weight in such cases: In my view this sentence is unfit.
It does not reflect the seriousness of this offence - a night time break-in of a private residence while theoccupants slept in their beds committed by a persistent offender. In the case at bar the trial judge agreed with defence counsel that heshould take into account the “step-up principle”. The “step-up principle” is not a principle or goal set out in the Criminal Code. It is ashort hand way of expressing the idea that sentencing requires a measured approach, even for repeat offenders. As Mr. Justice Lambertput in R. v. Robitaille, (BC CA), [1993] B.C.J.
No. 1404. [8] In relation to that argument, I say that the theory that sentences should go up only in moderate steps is a theory which rests on thesentencing principles of rehabilitation. It should be only in cases where rehabilitation is a significant sentencing factor. So the conclusion,in any particular case, that the increase in sentence should not be too large rests on a consideration of the circumstance of the particularoffender and a desire not to discourage any effort he may be making to rehabilitate himself by the imposition of a sentence that may beseen by him to be a dead weight on his future life. Mr.
Justice Smith said this in R. v. L.D.W., 2005 BCCA 404, 215 B.C.A.C. 64, 66 W.C.B. (2d) 499: [30] I would not accede to the appellant’s submission that the sentence violates the step principle. That principle acts as a restraint bytending to limit increases beyond sentences previously imposed and is particularly relevant where rehabilitation is a significantsentencing factor and the sentence ought not to be such as would discourage attempts at rehabilitation. I do not consider this to be such acase.
Moreover, the principle is not helpful in situations where, as here, the offence under consideration represents much more culpableand serious criminal conduct than the previous offence. Thus, to achieve the goals of specific deterrence and rehabilitation it often is unnecessary to do more than increase punishmentincrementally when an offender is engaged in repetitive offending.
However, the step-up principle should be applied where thecircumstances call for it. [para. 6] Ryan J.A. concludes “protection of the public through a denunciatory sentence ought to have taken precedence” in that case (para. 8). [21] As stated before, the sentencing judge did not follow the proper approach to the imposition of consecutiveversus concurrent sentences. He appeared to apply the totality principle from the outset to determine an appropriate sentence, rather thanat the conclusion after considering a fit sentence for each individual offence.
An illustration of this is how the sentencing judge reasonedan appropriate sentence for the robberies and home invasion was likely in the range of four years, given Mr. Peterson’s record. Despiteindicating he was discussing only the appropriate sentence for the robberies, the judge then determined that four years would not be anappropriate “global” sentence for all the offences. The sentencing judge states: But in my view, a total sentence here, and a, and a way of getting to it sort of, is that the robbery charge start with three.
Now there wastwo, one right after the other, if I said there were three consecutive and, and also for the robbery in New Brunswick, two years further forthe assault, the operating the motor vehicle, and the failure to stop consecutive, and another six months for the rest, it sort of to – five anda half years less the 216 days allowed, in my view would be a fit and appropriate sentence. [Transcript, November 27, 2015, p. 38, lines3-12] [22] The sentencing judge appears to propose a sentence of three years for both British Columbia robberies and theFredericton home invasion, apparently imposed concurrently.
While it may have been open to the judge to impose concurrent sentenceswith respect to the two robberies in British Columbia at the same bank, he clearly erred by imposing a concurrent sentence with respectto home invasion in Fredericton, which occurred 10 days later.
[ 23 ] The trial judge did not total all the sentences to be imposed, as required, and then take a “last look” at the consecutive sentences imposed to ensure the sentence was not unduly long or harsh, having regard to the gravity of the offences, the offender’s moral culpability, the harm done to the victims, the offender’s record and future prospects, and ensuring that the effect of the sentence was not “crushing”. [ 24 ] These errors led to the imposition of a “global” sentence that was demonstrably unfit having particular regard to Mr. Peterson’s culpability, his record and future prospects.
It appears the sentencing judge based the global sentence on the “step principle” because the offender had previously received just over three years incarceration for similar offences committed in 2013 in British Columbia. As stated earlier, the “step principle” had little application in this case due to Mr. Peterson’s limited prospects of rehabilitation. [ 25 ] The global sentence imposed is barely appropriate for the robberies and home invasion alone.
Coupled with the subsequent high-speed chase and assault on peace officers with a weapon, these offences remain virtually unpunished in the name of the “totality principle”. [ 26 ] In R. v. Hutchings , 2012 NLCA 2 , [ 2012] N.J. No. 12 (QL) , the Newfoundland and Labrador Court of Appeal sat as a five-member panel as the appeal provided an opportunity to clarify circumstances under which the “totality” principle could be engaged in differing terms.
At issue was an appeal by an offender from the sentence imposed for three counts of armed robbery, two counts of being disguised with intent and two counts of breach of probation. The accused and another individual robbed a convenience store. Six days later, the accused robbed a service station. The perpetrators were armed with knives and wore handkerchiefs over their faces. On both occasions, cash, cigarettes and lottery tickets were taken. During the convenience store robbery, the two also demanded a customer’s purse, but the victim stated she did not have one. The accused pled guilty.
The Crown sought a global sentence of eight years, while the defence requested five years, each with credit for time served. The accused was sentenced to seven years plus two days imprisonment, less 141 days credit for pre-trial custody. The sentencing judge imposed consecutive sentences, with concurrent sentences for the incidental offences. The sentences for each breach of probation were also made consecutive.
The accused submitted the overall sentence was unfit. [ 27 ] At issue on appeal in Hutchings was whether the sentencing judge properly applied the principles relating to consecutive and concurrent sentences and, in particular, the principle of totality. The appeal was allowed. The Court found the sentencing judge properly regarded the two robberies as separate criminal adventures. Accordingly, the sentencing judge was correct to treat the two robberies as calling for consecutive sentences.
The sentencing judge was also correct in treating the offence of wearing a mask as part of the same criminal adventure integral to each of the robberies. In addition, the sentencing judge was correct in imposing consecutive sentences for the breaches of probation. However, the judge’s approach to totality was problematic, as he addressed totality in the context of sentencing for each individual offence with the objective of achieving an overall global sentence. Instead, the sentencing judge should have made determinations for each individual offence without reference to totality.
After consideration of consecutive versus concurrent sentences, the judge should have then considered whether the totality principle required a reduction in the overall sentence. The failure to adopt the required approach was an error in principle and resulted in an unfit sentence. Using the proper approach resulted in the substitution of a 5 ½ years custodial sentence, less credit for time served.
Green, C.J.N.L. delineates the proper analytical approach to be undertaken when sentencing individuals for multiple offences: The foregoing analysis, as well as the fact that the Ruby formulation which was referred to in M.(C.A.) , pre-dated ss. 718.1 and 718.2 (c), requires a restatement of the applicable approach. I would state the following as guidelines for the analytical approach to be taken henceforth: 1. When sentencing for multiple offences, the sentencing judge should commence by identifying a proper sentence for each offence, applying proper sentencing principles. 2.
The judge should then consider whether any of the individual sentences should be made consecutive or concurrent on the ground that they constitute a single criminal adventure, without consideration of the totality principle at this stage. 3. Whenever, following the determinations in steps 1 and 2, the imposition of two or more sentences, to be served consecutively, is indicated, the application of the totality principle is potentially engaged. The sentencing judge must therefore turn his or her mind to its application.
4. The approach is to take one last look at the combined sentence to determine whether it is unduly long or harsh, in the sense that it is disproportionate to the gravity of the offence and the degree of responsibility of the offender. 5. In determining whether the combined sentence is unduly long or harsh and not proportionate to the gravity of the offence and the degree of responsibility of the offender, the sentencing court should, to the extent of their relevance in the particular circumstances of the case, take into account, and balance, the following factors: (
a) the length of the combined sentence in relation to the normal level of sentence for the most serious of the individual offences involved; (
b) the number and gravity of the offences involved; (
c) the offender’s criminal record; (
d) the impact of the combined sentence on the offender’s prospects for rehabilitation, in the sense that it may be harsh or crushing; (
e) such other factors as may be appropriate to consider to ensure that the combined sentence is proportionate to the gravity of the offences and the offender’s degree of responsibility. 6. Where the sentencing judge concludes, in light of the application of those factors identified in Step 5 that are deemed to be relevant, that the combined sentence is unduly long or harsh and not proportionate to the gravity of the offences and the offender’s degree of responsibility, the judge should proceed to determine the extent to which the combined sentence should be reduced to achieve a proper totality.
If, on the other hand, the judge concludes that the combined sentence is not unduly long or harsh, the sentence must stand. 7. Where the sentencing court determines that it is appropriate to reduce the combined sentence to achieve a proper totality, it should first attempt to adjust one or more of the sentences by making it or them concurrent with other sentences, but if that does not achieve the proper result, the court may in addition, or instead, reduce the length of an individual sentence below what it would otherwise have been. 8.
In imposing individual sentences adjusted for totality, the judge should be careful to identify: (
a) the sentences that are regarded as appropriate for each individual offence applying proper sentencing principles, without considerations of totality; (
b) the degree to which sentences have been made concurrent on the basis that they constitute a single criminal adventure; and (
c) the methodology employed to achieve the proper totality that is indicated, identifying which individual sentences are, for this purpose, to be made concurrent or to be otherwise reduced. 9. Finally, the sentencing judge should indicate whether one or more of the resulting sentences should be further reduced to reflect any credit for pre-trial custody and if so, by how much. [para. 84] [ 28 ] I would adopt the approach taken by the Newfoundland and Labrador Court of Appeal as the proper analysis for sentences for multiple offences.
In the case before us, the sentencing judge’s approach was not only an error in principle but it substantially affected the outcome resulting in an unfit sentence. B. A Fit Sentence in the Circumstances
[29] I will now turn to a consideration of what would be an appropriate sentence for this offender respecting theseoffences. Mr. Peterson was 39 years of age at the time of the sentencing. No pre-sentence report was prepared. On June 18, 2015, Mr.Peterson robbed the Canadian Western Bank, using a note. Six days later, Mr. Peterson stole a vehicle from a used car lot and thenrobbed the same bank, again presenting a robbery note. At the time these offences were committed, Mr. Peterson had been released afterserving a federal penitentiary term and was on parole. Mr.
Peterson was a third time federal offender who had used violence in the past.His criminal record began when he was 13 years of age and continued with only a short, three year, reprieve between 2002 and 2005.During sentencing, his counsel submitted Mr. Peterson had significant drug and alcohol addiction issues. No further evidence wasprovided respecting these problems. Mr. Peterson has several prior robberies on his record; the break and enter into a dwelling housewhich was occupied as well as the theft.
Other offences included dangerous driving, assault of police officers with a weapon, andpossession of stolen property. This led Crown counsel to submit an appropriate sentence for each of the robberies would be in the rangeof four years consecutive. With respect to the break and enter and the theft, the Crown recommended a sentence in the range of threeyears. With respect to all of the offences that occurred in the neighbourhood near Woodstock Road, the Crown recommended a sentencein the three year range. The Crown left it to the Court to determine which of those sentences would be concurrent.
Overall, Crowncounsel recommended a sentence in the range of 10 to 12 years. Defence counsel requested a sentence of three years. The sentencingjudge seemed to propose a sentence of three years for both British Columbia robberies and the Fredericton home invasion wasappropriate. [30] In R. v.
Tower (S.J.), 2009 NBPC 14, 342 N.B.R. (2d) 209, leave to appeal denied, 2010 NBCA 27, 358N.B.R. (2d) 190, the offender was sentenced for a significant number of fraud and theft offences as well as dangerous driving causingbodily harm, assault on a peace officer, obstruction of a peace officer, and failing to remain at the scene of an accident. Notably, with noprevious driving related offences, the offender’s previous record was far less severe than that in the case before us. The facts as set outby the judge in his decision bear many similarities to Mr. Peterson’s car chase through Fredericton.
In deciding to impose a sentence ofalmost three years, the judge stated the following: I now turn to the second grouping of offences (i.e. the crimes of assault on a peace officer; obstruction; dangerous driving causing bodilyharm (and an associated driving while suspended); failing to remain at the scene of an accident; and the associated breach of anundertaking for failing to keep the peace and be of good behaviour), all of which occurred on September 23, 2008.
The offences of assault on a police officer and dangerous driving causing bodily harm are the most serious of any of the crimes I mustimpose sentence on. Even though in the circumstances here there is a nexus between them, in that they are part of the same series ofevents, they are, in my view, deserving of consecutive sentences. Mr. Tower had ample opportunity to stop his behaviour between firstdeciding to flee from the police until later crashing into the Lanteigne vehicle and then crashing his own vehicle, but did not do so. Incontinuing on he had risked the lives of countless others and injured two.
In any event, those two crimes also constitute invasions ofdifferent legally protected interests and there were different victims. Further, to make these two offences concurrent to each other in thecircumstance here would be to reward flight. Assault on a peace officer has attached to it a wide range of sentence precedent, reflecting the wide range of circumstances under whichsuch crimes are committed. Typically though, the more serious appear to be in area of 10-12 months’ imprisonment (See: R. v. Foster(W.) (1996) (NB CA), 173 N.B.R. (2d) 289; 441 A.P.R. 289 (C.A.); R. v.
Goddard (D.R.) (1987) (NB CA), 77 N.B.R. (2d) 416; 195 A.P.R. 416 (C.A.); R. v. Matheson (T.D.) (1992) (NB KB), 137 N.B.R. (2d) 62;351 A.P.R. 62 (T.D.); R. v. Crothers (K.) (2007) 2007 NBQB 237 , 318 N.B.R. (2d) 316; 821 A.P.R. 316 (T.D.)). [paras. 83-85] [31] In the end the judge determined the appropriate sentence was 2½ years for dangerous driving causing bodilyharm and ten months consecutive for assault on a peace officer. Overall, applying the totality principle, the global sentence imposed forthis and other offences was four years and ten months imprisonment. [32] In R. v. Knox, (ON CA), [2006] O.J.
No. 1976 (C.A.) (QL), the offender crashed into a vanat an impaired driving checkpoint while driving a stolen vehicle. A police officer rushed over to the offender’s vehicle, opened the door,then was dragged by the door as the offender reversed the vehicle. The offender drove his car over the police officer’s leg as he spedaway from the checkpoint and led the police on a high-speed chase until they gave up. During the chase the offender struck the samepolice officer’s car, spinning it into a ditch. The stolen vehicle was eventually found in a ditch in a rural area. The offender had over 30previous convictions.
The sentencing judge found that a sentence of five years incarceration was the appropriate sentence. The OntarioCourt of Appeal upheld the sentence, determining the driving conduct was serious and it was good fortune that neither the police officernor members of the public were seriously injured in the ensuing high-speed police chase. [33] In the case before us, Mr. Peterson had been previously convicted of dangerous driving during flight from
police in 2013 along with convictions for multiple robberies. At the time he committed the New Brunswick crimes, he was on statutory release for the very same offences. In my view, this is an aggravating factor making the sentence imposed in this case particularly unreasonable and demonstrably unfit. [ 34 ] Given Mr.
Peterson’s record and the severity of the offences and following the guidelines delineated in Hutchings , I would have imposed the following: For the British Columbia robberies June 18, 2014 3 years June 24, 2014 3 years consecutive For the New Brunswick offences break and enter and theft 3 years consecutive car chase/dangerous driving 2½ years consecutive assault with a weapon 2 years concurrent various thefts 2 years consecutive TOTAL 13½ years [ 35 ] Accordingly, before considering totality, the overall sentence would be six years for the two bank robberies, three years for the break and enter and theft, two years, six months for the car chase/dangerous driving (all consecutive), two years concurrent for assault with a weapon and two years consecutive for the various other thefts for a total of 13 year, six months. [ 36 ] It is now necessary to consider totality, the application of which is engaged because some sentences are consecutive to each other. [ 37 ] In my view, the most serious offences in this case are the robberies.
The normal sentence for bank robberies and home invasions can range from three to five years depending on the circumstances. When compared with the total sentence of 13 years and six months, this would be a factor in calling for a reduction in the overall sentence. Offences fall into three different “time periods”. While the offences were not what I would term a “crime spree”, the bank robberies in British Columbia could be viewed as having occurred within a short period of time.
Additionally, while the gravity of these offences might not be regarded as being as serious as a robbery with actual violence being perpetrated, they are very concerning. The fact that the same offences were committed by Mr. Peterson in the past dictates that the total sentence reflects these factors. [ 38 ] Mr. Peterson has a lengthy prior criminal record spanning from various youth offences beginning in 1990 with break and enter. He was first incarcerated in 1994. Mr. Peterson’s record includes robberies in British Columbia in 2013.
At that time, he was given three years and three months on each charge and a mandatory prohibition order. This was the longest period of incarceration he had received as an adult. These offences led to convictions for robbery, theft, and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and flight while being pursued. Mr. Peterson also had convictions for breach of a conditional sentence order and for obstruction.
His offences in youth court included break and enter and theft, failing to comply with a disposition, mischief, failure to appear, driving while impaired, attempt to obstruct justice, and escape from lawful custody. Mr. Peterson has been given significant sentences with an emphasis on rehabilitation. In my view, the commission of the current offences indicates that Mr. Peterson has not learned anything from the sentences imposed for his prior offences. [ 39 ] Mr. Peterson is presently in his early forties; this does not make me hopeful for his prospects for rehabilitation.
Unfortunately, we do not have a pre-sentence report.
Regardless, 13 years, six months could be considered an unduly long or harsh sentence which leads me to believe the total sentence should be modified. [ 40 ] In Hutchings , Green C.J.N.L. states: Other appellate decisions recognize that it may be appropriate to reduce an overall sentence when an offender is being sentenced for multiple robberies committed in close succession. (See Wozny ). [para. 109] [ 41 ] Taking all of these factors into consideration and noting that some of them may point toward a reduction in the overall sentence, I believe a sentence of 13 years, six months is unduly long or harsh when measured against the gravity of the offences.
While recognizing the very serious nature of these types of offences and that a considerable term of imprisonment is warranted, a more appropriate overall sentence that will still recognize the inherent gravity of the offences would be 11 years, six months .
Thus, after considering the totality principle, I would impose the following sentence: For the British Columbia robberies June 18, 2014 3 years June 24, 2014 3 years consecutive For the New Brunswick offences break and enter and theft 3 years consecutive car chase/dangerous driving 2½ years consecutive assault with a weapon 2 years concurrent various thefts 2 years concurrent TOTAL 11½ years [ 42 ] I would then give credit for remand time and reduce the total sentence by 216 days. V.
Summary and Disposition [ 43 ] In the result, I would grant leave to appeal, allow the appeal and vary the sentences to total 11 years, six months of imprisonment, less 216 days for time served in pre-trial custody. ______________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. WE CONCUR: ____________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A. ____________________________ RAYMOND T. FRENCH, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG
I. Introduction [1] Sa Majesté la Reine sollicite l’autorisation d’interjeter appel d’une peine infligée par un juge de la Cour provinciale le 27 novembre 2015. Le ministère public soutient que la peine infligée était [TRADUCTION] « excessivement légère, manifestement inappropriée et déraisonnable vu l’ensemble des circonstances », compte tenu de l’objectif et des principes de la détermination de la peine.
La question à trancher en appel est de savoir si le juge qui a déterminé la peine a appliqué correctement les principes relatifs aux peines consécutives et concurrentes, et en particulier le principe de totalité. Le ministère public affirme que, en raison de l’application incorrecte de ces principes, la peine qui s’est ensuivie, soit 5 ans et 6 mois moins 216 jours pour la période passée en détention préventive, était inappropriée et que la peine totale devrait être remplacée par une peine de l’ordre de 10 à 12 ans d’emprisonnement. II. Contexte [2] Le 18 juin 2015, M.
Peterson a commis un vol dans une banque à Port Coquitlam, en Colombie-Britannique. Quelques jours plus tard, le 24 juin, il a commis un autre vol dans la même banque. La Gendarmerie royale du Canada a obtenu un mandat d’arrêt national. [3] Pendant la semaine et demie qui a suivi, M. Peterson s’est rendu au Nouveau-Brunswick. Le 5 juillet, il a volé des articles dans un véhicule garé au bord du lac Killarney, à Fredericton.
Plus tard ce jour-là, il est entré par effraction dans une résidence et a volé un ordinateur portatif, un portefeuille et des bijoux d’une valeur de 2 000 $, pendant que le propriétaire était dans la maison. La victime a confronté M. Peterson au cours de l’incident. [4] Le lendemain matin, la police a rencontré M. Peterson à une station-service de Fredericton. M. Peterson s’est enfui, ce qui a déclenché une poursuite automobile dans un quartier résidentiel à forte densité de population aux environs du chemin Woodstock.
À l’audience de détermination de la peine, l’avocate du ministère public a insisté sur les circonstances extrêmes dans lesquelles M. Peterson a tenté d’échapper à la police. En particulier, il faisait de l’excès de vitesse, et il a causé des dommages à bon nombre de propriétés en roulant dans les cours arrière. À un certain moment, les agents ont tenté d’appréhender M. Peterson après qu’il s’est engagé dans l’allée d’une résidence. Lorsqu’ils sont sortis de leur véhicule pour s’approcher de M. Peterson, il a mis le véhicule en marche arrière et a accéléré vers la voiture de patrouille.
Les agents se sont rapidement écartés de la trajectoire du véhicule et ont évité d’être blessés, mais leur véhicule a subi des dommages. [5] M.
Peterson a plaidé coupable à 11 des 12 accusations portées conformément au Code criminel par suite de ces événements, y compris les suivantes : • vol (de banque) qualifié le 18 juin, infraction visée à l’al. 344(1)b); • vol (de banque) qualifié le 24 juin, infraction visée à l’al. 344(1)b); • vol d’un véhicule à moteur, infraction visée à l’al. 333.1(1)a); • méfait (à l’égard de biens), infraction visée à l’al. 430(4)a); • agression armée à l’endroit d’un agent de la paix, infraction visée à l’al. 270.01(2)a); • conduite d’un véhicule à moteur de façon dangereuse, infraction visée à l’al. 249(2)a); • fuite, infraction visée à l’al. 249.1(2)a); • possession de biens criminellement obtenus (d’une valeur inférieure à 5 000 $), infraction prévue à l’al. 355b)(i); • possession de biens criminellement obtenus (d’une valeur supérieure à 5 000 $), infraction prévue à l’al. 355a). [6] Il a également inscrit un plaidoyer de culpabilité pour les infractions suivantes :
• introduction par effraction dans un dessein criminel, et commission de l’acte criminel visé (al. 348(1)b), avec la circonstanceaggravante de braquage de domicile, infraction visée à l’al. 348.1). [7] M. Peterson a 50 déclarations de culpabilité antérieures.
Une liste partielle en inclut au moinssix pour vol qualifié, dix-neuf pour des infractions relatives à des vols et à des biens, deux pour voies de fait à l’endroit d’un agent depolice, deux pour entrave à la justice deux pour voies de fait et une pour fuite alors qu’il était poursuivi par un agent de la paix. [8] Après avoir examiné les faits, le juge du procès a condamné M. Peterson à 5 ans et 6 moisd’emprisonnement. Devant nous, l’avocate du ministère public soutient que la peine infligée est viciée par une série d’erreurs juridiquesqui ont abouti à une peine inappropriée.
Le ministère public nous demande de remplacer la peine par une peine d’emprisonnement de 10à 12 ans, comme il l’a demandé à l’audience de détermination de la peine. [9] Pour les motifs qui suivent, j’accorderais l’autorisation, j’accueillerais l’appel et je modifieraisla peine de M. Peterson. Étant donné la série d’événements et la mesure dans laquelle les relations de ces événements entre eux et avecles accusations qui leur ont été attribuées ont été perçues par le juge qui a déterminé la peine, j’examinerai en détail le raisonnement dujuge. III.
Moyens d’appel [10] L’avocate du ministère public soutient que la seule question en litige en cet appel est de savoirsi le juge qui a déterminé la peine a commis une erreur de droit et de principe en infligeant une peine excessivement légère etmanifestement inappropriée et déraisonnable vu l’ensemble des circonstances, compte tenu de l’objectif et des principes fondamentauxde la détermination de la peine. Évidemment, le ministère public demande à notre Cour l’autorisation d’interjeter appel de la peine.
Lesquestions en litige sont formulées comme suit : 1) Le juge du procès a-t-il commis une erreur en infligeant des peines concurrentes et en appliquant le principe de « totalité »? 2) La peine infligée pour vol qualifié et braquage de domicile était-elle manifestement inappropriée? 3) La peine infligée pour la poursuite automobile à grande vitesse et l’agression armée à l’endroit d’agents de la paix était-ellemanifestement inappropriée? [11] Dans l’arrêt Steeves c.
R., 2010 NBCA 57, 360 R.N.-B. (2e) 88, le juge en chef Drapeau traitede la norme de contrôle applicable aux appels contre la peine : Les tribunaux d’appel peuvent en outre avoir à déterminer si la sentence contestée témoigne d’une application appropriée des principesde détermination de la peine. Aujourd’hui, pour la plupart, ces principes sont devenus loi et se retrouvent dans la
partie XXIII du Codecriminel. Il est acquis que, quoique le poids que le juge chargé de déterminer la peine a accordé aux facteurs pertinents requière unegrande déférence, la norme de contrôle applicable en appel à sa compréhension de ces principes est celle de la décision correcte. Enfin, les tribunaux d’appel peuvent entreprendre d’examiner l’importance proprement dite de la peine contestée. Encore une fois, ici,une grande déférence s’impose envers le choix du juge chargé de la détermination de la peine.
Une modification ne sera envisageablequ’à la stricte condition que la peine constitue un écart important et marqué par rapport à la peine habituellement infligée à desdélinquants qui se trouvent dans la même situation et qui commettent des crimes semblables. En somme, une cour d’appel n’est pas libre de substituer ses vues sur la justesse de la peine aux vues du juge qui était chargé de ladéterminer, à moins que la peine ne résulte d’une erreur de droit ou d’une erreur de principe, ou qu’elle ne soit nettement déraisonnable (R. c.
Shropshire, (SCC), [1995] 4 R.C.S. 227, [1995] A.C.S. no 52 (QL), par. 46 à 48; R. c. Solowan, [2008] 3 R.C.S. 309, [2008] A.C.S. no 55 (QL), 2008 CSC 62, par. 16; R. c. L.M., [2008] 2 R.C.S. 163, [2008] A.C.S. no 31 (QL), 2008 CSC 31, par. 14 et 15; R. c. C.A.C. (2009), 349 R.N.-B. (2e) 265, [2009] A.N.-B. no 342 (QL), 2009 NBCA 68 (le juge d’appel Bell, au nom de la Cour,par. 4)). Si la sentence est le fruit d’une erreur qui justifie de l’infirmer, il incombe à la cour d’appel de prescrire le châtiment qu’elleestime juste dans les circonstances. [par. 23 à 25]
[12] Dans l’arrêt R. c. LeBlanc (G.A.), 2003 NBCA 75, 264 R.N.-B. (2e) 341, le juge en chefDrapeau décrit comme suit l’analyse à entreprendre : Un certain nombre d’arrêts récents, savoir, notamment, R. c. H.S.L. (2000), 2000 NBCA 54 , 231 R.N.-B. (2e) 358 (C.A.), au par. 28, R. c. Parent (D.) (2001), 2001 NBCA 60 , 236 R.N.-B. (2e) 370 (C.A.), au par. 8, R. c. R.P. (2001), 2001 NBCA 115 , 245 R.N.-B. (2e) 179 (C.A.), au par. 11, R. c. Daigle (M.), [2002] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 4 (C.A.), au par. 8, R. c. Kerton (R.E.) et al. (2002), 2002 NBCA 40 , 250 R.N.-B. (2e) 177 (C.A.), au par. 25, et R. c.
Kuriya, 2003 NBCA 63 , [2003] A.N.-B. no 336 (Q.L.), appuient la proposition voulant que lorsqu’il y a appel de la peine ou de la sentence, l’intervention soitcontre-indiquée à moins que l’on ne réponde par l’affirmative à au moins une des questions suivantes :
(1) La peine est-elle le résultatd’une erreur de droit?
(2) Le juge qui a déterminé la peine a-t-il commis une erreur de principe dans l’exercice de son pouvoirdiscrétionnaire?
(3) La peine est-elle manifestement déraisonnable compte tenu de l’objet et des objectifs fondamentaux de ladétermination de la peine (art. 718) ainsi que des principes énoncés aux articles 718.1 et 718.2 du Code criminel? [par. 17] [13] À mon avis, la réponse à chacune de ces trois questions doit être affirmative en l’espèce. Uneintervention en appel est justifiée. Le juge a commis une erreur de droit en décidant d’infliger des peines concurrentes pour un grandnombre des infractions ainsi qu’en appliquant le principe de totalité.
Ces erreurs ont eu une incidence sur la peine infligée, de telle sorteque la peine était manifestement inappropriée et déraisonnable dans les circonstances : voir R. c. Lacasse, 2015 CSC 64, [2015] 3 R.C.S.1089, au par. 11. IV. Analyse A. Le juge du procès a commis une erreur en appliquant le principe de totalité et en infligeant une peine concurrente globale [14] Dans des cas comme celui qui nous occupe, où les délinquants sont condamnés à de multiplespeines consécutives, le principe général de proportionnalité s’exprime dans le principe plus particulier de totalité.
Les juges quicondamnent les délinquants à purger des peines consécutives pour des infractions multiples doivent s’assurer que la peine cumulative nedépasse pas la culpabilité globale du délinquant. [15] Dans l’arrêt R. c. Daye, 2010 NBCA 53, 362 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, la juge d’appel Larlee explique ladémarche que doivent suivre les tribunaux qui déterminent les peines en appliquant le principe de totalité : Il ne faut pas oublier que, si une peine consécutive doit être infligée, le principe de totalité s’applique (al. 718.2c)).
Dans Arbuthnot, lejuge Chartier a fait les remarques suivantes au sujet de la démarche à adopter relativement au principe de totalité : [TRADUCTION]Compte tenu des nombreuses infractions en cause, je dois d’abord déterminer si certaines peines seront purgées de façon consécutive. Sitel est le cas, le principe de totalité énoncé à l’al. 718.2c) s’applique et la démarche globale de détermination de la peine exposée par laCour suprême du Canada en 1996 dans l’arrêt M. (C.A.) doit être suivie (voir également R. c.
Reader (M.) 2008 MBCA 42, 225 Man.R.(2d) 118, aux par. 25 à 28, Traverse, aux par. 33 à 35, et, plus récemment, Grant, au par. 98). Cette démarche s’applique comme suit : 1) Le juge chargé de la détermination de la peine doit d’abord déterminer si certaines peines ou si toutes les peines doivent être purgéesconsécutivement. Si toutes les peines doivent être purgées concurremment, il n’y a alors pas lieu de se préoccuper du principe de totalitéet le juge chargé de la détermination de la peine n’a pas besoin de passer à l’étape suivante.
Si toutes les peines ou si certaines d’entreelles doivent être purgées consécutivement, le juge chargé de la détermination de la peine doit alors fixer la peine appropriée pourchaque infraction ou groupe d’infractions à purger de manière consécutive conformément aux principes appropriés de détermination dela peine (y compris ceux applicables aux peines consécutives) et ensuite passer à l’étape suivante. 2) Le juge chargé de la détermination de la peine doit alors calculer le total des peines consécutives en considérant une dernière fois lapeine totale.
Ce faisant, il applique de manière plus précise le principe général de proportionnalité (voir M. (C.A.), au par. 42). Il n’estpas nécessaire de réexaminer les principes de détermination de la peine appliqués à la première étape. Au contraire, en examinant unedernière fois la peine totale, le juge s’assure d’éviter l’excès de nature ou de durée dans l’infliction des peines.
Pour prendre cettedécision, le juge chargé de la détermination de la peine doit tenir compte de la gravité des infractions, de la culpabilité morale de l’accuséet du préjudice causé aux victimes et s’assurer que la peine n’a pas un effet « écrasant » et qu’elle est compatible avec les antécédents du
contrevenant et ses perspectives de réadaptation (voir Traverse , aux par. 33 à 35 et 65). [par. 18] [par. 16] [16] Également dans l’arrêt Daye , notre Cour affirme que des peines consécutives doivent être infligées à moins qu’il n’existe un lien raisonnablement étroit dans le temps et dans l’espace entre les infractions commises à l’occasion d’une seule opération ou affaire criminelle continue. Les tribunaux doivent faire preuve de bon sens dans cette analyse.
Par exemple, des peines concurrentes peuvent être appropriées lorsque les actes sont commis dans le cadre d’une opération criminelle continue qui a lieu pendant une période relativement brève. [17] Toutefois, dans l’arrêt R. c. Howe , 2007 NBCA 84 , 330 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 204, le juge d’appel Richard fait remarquer que de nombreux tribunaux d’appel ont évité les peines concurrentes lorsque les infractions, quoique faisant
partie de la même opération, constituent des atteintes à différents intérêts protégés par la loi (par. 29). Dans l’arrêt R. c. Skinner , 2016 NSCA 54 , [2016] N.S.J. No. 255 (QL) , au par. 49 , la Cour d’appel de la Nouvelle-Écosse a accueilli un appel de la peine interjeté par le ministère public pour le motif que l’erreur de la juge du procès dans l’application du principe de totalité [TRADUCTION] « a eu une incidence sur la peine infligée » au sens des toutes récentes observations de la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Lacasse . [18] En l’espèce, M. Peterson a déjà été condamné bon nombre de fois pour vol qualifié.
La dernière fois remonte à 2013, quand il avait aussi été déclaré coupable d’autres vols, de fuite lorsqu’il avait été poursuivi par la police et de conduite dangereuse d’un véhicule à moteur. Les principaux principes de l’ art. 718 du Code criminel qu’il fallait appliquer pour déterminer sa peine étaient ceux de la dissuasion spécifique, de la dissuasion générale, de la dénonciation et du besoin d’isoler M. Peterson de la société. Le principe de la réadaptation était pratiquement inapplicable en raison du casier judiciaire chargé de M. Peterson.
De fait, l’art. 718.02 exige que l’on considère surtout la dissuasion et la dénonciation dans le cas d’une agression armée à l’endroit d’agents de la paix. [19] À l’audience de détermination de la peine, l’avocate de M. Peterson a suggéré une peine de 4 à 5 ans en raison du principe de la gradation des peines. Celui-ci devait être appliqué aux peines antérieures de partir de M. Peterson pour les mêmes infractions. À mon avis, ce principe devrait être appliqué seulement pour les délinquants dont la réadaptation est un facteur important pour déterminer la peine. Dans l’arrêt Frigault c.
R. , 2012 NBCA 8 , 383 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 266, notre Cour a dit : Le juge Saunders de la Cour d’appel de la Nouvelle-Écosse a fait l’analyse suivante du principe de la gradation des peines dans R. c. Bernard , 2011 NSCA 53 , [2011] N.S.J. No. 301 (QL) : [TRADUCTION] Dans certaines situations, il peut être nécessaire pour les juges de tenir compte de l’effet du « bond sentenciel » (ou « gradation des peines ») pour punir un comportement illégal.
Cette démarche a pour but de prendre en compte le degré de sévérité des peines infligées à l’égard d’infractions antérieures par rapport à celui de la peine sur le point d’être infligée. En d’autres termes, ce principe reconnaît l’importance de comparer le degré de sévérité relatif des peines infligées pour des infractions passées et présentes. [...] Même si les facteurs dits du « bond sentenciel », de la « gradation des peines » et de l’« intervalle entre les déclarations de culpabilité » ne sont pas expressément codifiés à l’ art. 718 , leur application fait maintenant
partie de la nomenclature de la détermination de la peine. Ces facteurs peuvent être déduits de ce que le Code criminel appelle le « principe fondamental » de la détermination de la peine prévu à l’ art. 718.1 , à savoir que la peine « est proportionnelle à la gravité de l’infraction et au degré de responsabilité du délinquant ». Je n’ai pas à décider si ces concepts sont devenus des principes reconnus de détermination de la peine ou s’il s’agit simplement d’étiquettes utilisées pour expliquer les caractéristiques logiques et pertinentes de la détermination de la peine.
Il s’agit essentiellement de concepts ou de normes qui peuvent être appliqués pour s’assurer « d’éviter l’excès de nature ou de durée » lorsque des peines consécutives sont infligées (al. 718.2 c )). […] [Par. 33 et 36] Clayton Ruby, dans l’ouvrage intitulé Sentencing (7 e éd.), (Markham, Ont. : LexisNexis, 2008), explique le raisonnement à la base de l’« effet du bond sentenciel », à partir de la page 389 : [TRADUCTION]
Par. 8.79 L’une des caractéristiques souvent révélées par l’examen d’un casier judiciaire est le fait que la peine infligée ou à être infligée dans l’espèce est considérablement plus longue que les peines infligées antérieurement. Même lorsqu’il y a une augmentation marquée de la gravité du crime perpétré, il ne devrait pas y avoir un trop grand « bond » dans la durée de la peine infligée : [TRADUCTION] « les peines infligées à l’égard d’un récidiviste devraient augmenter graduellement, plutôt que radicalement ». Il ne s’agit vraisemblablement de rien de plus que le principe portant que si moins fera l’affaire, c’est que plus est superflu, dont il est fait état à l’ al. 718
d) du Code criminel . Ainsi, dans l’arrêt [ Re Morand and Simpson , [1959] S.J. No. 52 (C.A.) (QL) ], la Cour d’appel de la Saskatchewan a donné comme l’un des motifs expliquant le fait que la peine était réduite de quatre ans à trois ans que la plus longue peine infligée antérieurement était de deux ans. Les peines seront également réduites si elles représentent une augmentation excessive par rapport à des peines antérieures. Ainsi, dans [ R. c. Alfs , [1974] O.J.
No. 1046 (C.A.) (QL) ], la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario a souligné que l’appelant n’avait jamais reçu de peine d’incarcération auparavant et, notamment pour cette raison, elle a modifié une peine de quatre ans pour vol à main armée en y substituant une peine de temps déjà purgé d’environ dix mois suivie d’une période de probation d’un an. Un nouveau principe a vu le jour : dans [ R. c. Sloane , [1973] 1 N.S.W.L.R. 202], une peine qui a fait un bond en passant d’une mesure non privative de liberté à un emprisonnement de huit ans a été décrite comme étant [TRADUCTION] « contraire aux principes ».
Par. 8.80 Ce principe ne permet pas de justifier une peine plus longue que celle qui avait été infligée antérieurement; il s’agit plutôt d’une règle qui tend à limiter l’augmentation – lorsqu’elle est par ailleurs justifiée et nécessaire – à une augmentation imposée de manière graduelle.
Toutefois, la proportionnalité demeure le principe fondamental de la détermination de la peine et, par conséquent, le principe du bond sentenciel peut « atteindre un palier » lorsque le délinquant possède un très lourd casier judiciaire. [Citations omises.] Tel que le juge Saunders l’a indiqué dans Bernard , dans certains cas, il peut être nécessaire pour les juges de tenir compte du principe de la gradation des peines dans la détermination de la peine. Mais ce n’est pas le cas en l’espèce. M. Frigault possède un lourd casier judiciaire.
Même s’il a été condamné précédemment à des peines d’un an à purger consécutivement à l’égard de deux accusations d’introduction par effraction et vol, il en est maintenant à sa cinquième accusation d’introduction par effraction et il a déjà été incarcéré. Dans Andrade c. R. , 2010 NBCA 62 , 363 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 159, le juge Robertson a discuté de l’importance des antécédents judiciaires de l’accusé : Il ne fait aucun doute que la décision du juge du procès en ce qui concerne la peine a été influencée par la longueur des antécédents judiciaires de l’appelant (vingt-quatre déclarations de culpabilité antérieures).
Il va sans dire que les antécédents judiciaires sont cruciaux en ce qui concerne la question de la « moralité » du délinquant et les objectifs de la détermination de la peine énoncés par le législateur fédéral. C’est au moyen des antécédents judiciaires du délinquant que l’on peut évaluer les possibilités de réinsertion sociale, de récidive et de dangerosité future. Cela explique pourquoi le droit se préoccupe souvent de la nature ou de la gravité des déclarations de culpabilité et en particulier des déclarations de culpabilité antérieures pour la même infraction.
Le tribunal chargé de déterminer la peine recourt inévitablement à la peine infligée comme preuve de la gravité de l’infraction. Un casier judiciaire faisant état d’actes de « violence » est considéré comme « important ». [Par. 24] S’il fallait considérer les peines infligées pour défaut de se conformer à une ordonnance de probation et pour introduction par effraction séparément, on pourrait se demander si le juge chargé de la détermination de la peine a omis de tenir compte du principe de la gradation des peines.
Cependant, je suis d’avis que l’application du principe de la gradation des peines est utile dans l’examen de la détermination de la peine à l’égard d’une seule infraction et qu’elle est moins utile dans les cas où un juge est chargé de la détermination de la peine à l’égard d’un accusé ayant un lourd casier judiciaire avec de multiples condamnations. Dans ces cas, après avoir tenu compte des principes de détermination de la peine énoncés dans le Code , le juge se concentre bien entendu sur la détermination de la peine globale appropriée.
Même si le juge n’a pas précisément indiqué pourquoi il infligeait la peine en question, il ressort clairement de la conversation avec M. Frigault qu’il a évalué objectivement la situation de M. Frigault et bien tenu compte des principes de détermination de la peine. Dans l’analyse de l’application du principe de la gradation des peines à la présente affaire, il faut considérer la norme de contrôle qui incite les cours d’appel à faire preuve de retenue à l’égard d’un appel de la peine. Dans R. c.
LeBlanc , 2003 NBCA 75 , 264 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 341, le juge en chef Drapeau a clairement affirmé que les cours d’appel ne devraient pas intervenir lorsqu’il y a appel de la peine sauf si : (1) la peine est le résultat d’une erreur de droit; (2) le juge a commis une erreur de principe dans l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire; (3) la peine est manifestement déraisonnable compte tenu de l’art. 718 du Code (par. 17). Dans la présente affaire, aucun de ces trois facteurs n’existe. [par. 16 à 19] [20] Dans l’arrêt R. c. Kory , 2009 BCCA 146 , [2009] B.C.J.
No. 778 (QL), la juge d’appel Ryan traite du principe de la gradation des peines dans le cas d’une introduction par effraction dans une habitation où les résidents étaient présents. Comme en l’espèce, l’accusé avait de lourds antécédents d’activité criminelle. Son casier judiciaire, qui comptait 36 déclarations de culpabilité en tout, incluait huit introductions par effraction ainsi que quatorze déclarations de culpabilité pour vol et possession de biens volés (par. 4).
En augmentant la peine de deux ans (avec réduction d’un an pour la détention préventive), la juge d’appel Ryan fait cette remarque : [TRADUCTION] « Dans une affaire comme la présente, où l’intimé a un casier judiciaire chargé et a constamment reçu des peines légères pour des infractions du même genre, le principe de la gradation des peines ne nous aide pas beaucoup.
Il n’a pas fonctionné. » (Par. 7) En soulignant la gravité de l’infraction et l’absence de réadaptation ou de dissuasion que l’on constate dans le casier judiciaire de l’accusé, elle a reconnu que les tribunaux accordent moins de poids au principe de la gradation des peines dans de tels cas :
[TRADUCTION]À mon avis, la peine est inappropriée. Elle ne correspond pas à la gravité de cette infraction : une introduction par effraction nocturnedans une résidence privée pendant que les occupants dormaient dans leurs lits, commise par un récidiviste endurci. En l’espèce, le jugedu procès a convenu avec l’avocat de la défense qu’il devrait tenir compte du « principe de la gradation des peines ». Le « principe de lagradation des peines » n’est pas un principe ni un objectif énoncé dans le Code criminel.
C’est une façon concise d’exprimer l’idée que ladétermination des peines exige une démarche modérée, même pour les récidivistes. Voici ce qu’a dit le juge Lambert dans la décision R.c. Robitaille, (BC CA), [1993] B.C.J. No. 1404 : [TRADUCTION][8] À propos de cet argument, je dis que la théorie selon laquelle les peines ne devraient augmenter que par étapes modérées est unethéorie qui repose sur les principes de réadaptation de la détermination de la peine. Elle devrait s’appliquer seulement dans les cas où laréadaptation est un facteur important de la détermination de la peine.
Alors, dans une affaire donnée, la conclusion voulant quel’augmentation de la peine ne doive pas être trop grande repose sur un examen de la situation particulière du délinquant et sur un désirde ne pas décourager toute tentative qu’il pourrait faire pour se réadapter en lui infligeant une peine qu’il pourrait percevoir comme unboulet à traîner dans sa vie future. Le juge Smith a dit ceci dans l’arrêt R. c. L.D.W., 2005 BCCA 404, 215 B.C.A.C. 64, 66 W.C.B. (2d) 499 : [TRADUCTION][30] Je n’accepterais pas l’assertion de l’appelant selon laquelle la peine est contraire au principe de la gradation des peines.
Ce principeconstitue un frein en tendant à limiter les augmentations dépassant les peines infligées antérieurement, et il est particulièrement pertinentlorsque la réadaptation est un facteur important de détermination de la peine et lorsque la peine ne devrait pas être telle qu’elledécouragerait les tentatives de réadaptation. J’estime que ce n’est pas le cas en l’espèce. De plus, ce principe n’est pas utile dans lessituations où, comme en l’espèce, l’infraction dont il s’agit consiste en une conduite criminelle beaucoup plus coupable et plus grave quel’infraction précédente.
Alors, pour atteindre les objectifs de la dissuasion spécifique et de la réadaptation, il n’est souvent pas nécessaire de faire plus qued’augmenter la sanction de façon graduelle lorsqu’un délinquant commet des infractions à répétition.
Toutefois, le principe de lagradation des peines devrait être appliqué lorsque les circonstances s’y prêtent. [par. 6] La juge d’appel Ryan conclut que, dans cette affaire, [TRADUCTION] « la protection du public au moyen d’une peine exemplaire auraitdû avoir priorité » (par. 8). [21] Comme je l’ai dit précédemment, le juge qui a déterminé la peine n’a pas suivi la démarchecorrecte quant au choix d’infliger des peines consécutives ou des peines concurrentes.
Il a semblé appliquer le principe de totalité dès ledépart pour déterminer une peine appropriée, plutôt qu’à la fin après avoir envisagé une peine appropriée pour chaque infractionindividuellement. Le raisonnement du juge qui a déterminé la peine lorsqu’il a conclu qu’une peine appropriée pour les vols qualifiés etle braquage de domicile était probablement de l’ordre de quatre ans, étant donné le casier de M. Peterson, illustre bien ce fait.
Même s’ila indiqué qu’il traitait seulement de la peine appropriée pour les vols qualifiés, le juge a ensuite déterminé qu’une peine de quatre ans neserait pas une peine « globale » appropriée pour toutes les infractions.
Le juge qui a déterminé la peine a affirmé : [TRADUCTION]Toutefois, à mon avis, une peine totale en l’espèce et une manière plutôt d’y arriver, c’est que l’accusation de vol qualifié part à trois.Alors, il y en a eu deux, l’une juste après l’autre; si je disais trois comme peine consécutive et, et aussi pour le vol qualifié au Nouveau-Brunswick, deux autres années pour l’agression, la conduite du véhicule à moteur, et le défaut de s’arrêter, peine consécutive, et six moisde plus pour le reste, cela donne, disons, cinq ans et demi moins les 216 jours de réduction; à mon avis, ce serait une peine juste etappropriée. [Transcription, 27 novembre 2015, p. 38, lignes 3 à 12] [22] Le juge qui a déterminé la peine semble avoir proposé une peine concurrente de trois ans pourles deux vols qualifiés commis en Colombie-Britannique et le braquage de domicile commis à Fredericton.
Bien qu’il ait pu être loisibleau juge d’infliger des peines concurrentes pour les deux vols qualifiés commis en Colombie-Britannique à la même banque, il amanifestement commis une erreur en infligeant une peine concurrente pour le braquage de domicile commis à Fredericton dix jours plustard.
[23] Le juge du procès n’a pas fait ce qu’il était tenu de faire, à savoir de totaliser toutes les peines à infliger, puis de jeter un « dernier coup d’œil » aux peines consécutives infligées pour s’assurer que la peine n’était pas exagérément longue ou rigoureuse, compte tenu de la gravité des infractions, de la culpabilité morale du délinquant, du préjudice causé aux victimes, du casier judiciaire et des perspectives d’avenir du délinquant, afin de s’assurer que l’effet de la peine ne serait pas « écrasant ». [24] Ces erreurs ont abouti à l’infliction d’une peine « globale » qui était manifestement inappropriée compte tenu particulièrement de la culpabilité, du casier judiciaire et des perspectives d’avenir de M.
Peterson. Il semble que le juge qui a déterminé la peine a fondé la peine globale sur le « principe de la gradation des peines » parce que le délinquant avait reçu auparavant un peu plus de trois ans d’emprisonnement pour des infractions semblables commises en Colombie-Britannique en 2013. Comme je l’ai dit, le « principe de la gradation des peines » n’est guère applicable en l’espèce en raison des perspectives de réadaptation limitées de M. Peterson. [25] La peine globale infligée est à peine appropriée pour les seuls vols qualifiés et braquage de domicile.
Quand on y ajoute la poursuite à grande vitesse et l’agression armée à l’endroit d’agents de la paix, qui ont eu lieu par la suite, ces infractions demeurent pratiquement impunies au nom du « principe de totalité ». [26] Dans l’arrêt R. c. Hutchings , 2012 NLCA 2 , [ 2012] N.J. No. 12 (QL) , la Cour d’appel de Terre- Neuve-et-Labrador a siégé comme formation de cinq membres parce que l’appel offrait une occasion d’éclaircir les circonstances dans lesquelles le principe de « totalité » pouvait être appliqué de manière différente.
Il s’agissait d’un appel interjeté par un délinquant de la peine qui lui avait été infligée pour trois chefs de vol à main armée, deux chefs de déguisement dans un dessein criminel et deux chefs de défaut de se conformer à une ordonnance de probation. L’accusé et une autre personne ont commis un vol dans un dépanneur. Six jours plus tard, l’accusé a commis un vol dans une station-service. Les voleurs étaient armés de couteaux et leurs visages étaient couverts de mouchoirs. Aux deux occasions, des espèces, des cigarettes et des billets de loterie ont été pris.
Pendant le vol dans le dépanneur, les deux hommes ont aussi réclamé le sac à main d’une cliente, mais la victime a affirmé qu’elle n’en avait pas. L’accusé a plaidé coupable. Le ministère public a demandé une peine globale de huit ans, alors que la défense en demandait cinq, avec réduction pour le temps purgé dans chaque cas. L’accusé a été condamné à une peine d’emprisonnement de 7 ans et 2 jours, moins une réduction de 141 jours pour la détention avant le procès. Le juge qui a déterminé la peine a infligé des peines consécutives, avec des peines concurrentes pour les infractions incidentes.
Les peines pour chaque défaut de se conformer à une ordonnance de probation ont également été consécutives. L’accusé a soutenu que la peine globale était inappropriée. [27] Dans l’affaire Hutchings , la question à trancher en appel était de savoir si le juge qui avait déterminé la peine avait appliqué correctement les principes relatifs aux peines consécutives et aux peines concurrentes, et en particulier le principe de totalité. L’appel a été accueilli. La Cour a conclu que le juge qui avait déterminé la peine avait