2023 NBCA 43, 2023 NBCA 43
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 87-22-CA CLAIRE GRONDIN APPELLANT CLAIRE GRONDIN APPELANTE - and - - et - LUC LAFORGE RESPONDENT LUC LAFORGE INTIMÉ Grondin v. Laforge, 2023 NBCA 43 Grondin c.
Laforge, 2023 NBCA 43 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlond The Honourable Justice LeBlanc CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlond l’honorable juge LeBlanc Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: August 18, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 18 août 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: April 12, 2023 Appel entendu : le 12 avril 2023 Judgment rendered: June 15, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 15 juin 2023
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlanc Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlanc Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Jocelyne J. Moreau, K.C. For the respondent: Emmy M. Chiasson Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Jocelyne J. Moreau, c.r. Pour l’intimé : Emmy M. Chiasson THE COURT The appeal is dismissed and the appellant is ordered to pay costs of $3,500 to the respondent.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté et l’appelante est condamnée à verser des dépens de 3 500 $ à l’intimé. Le jugement de la Cour rendu par LA JUGE LEBLANC I. Survol [ 1 ] Le 18 août 2022, un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine (alors son nom) a prononcé un jugement
sommaire contre Claire Grondin, l’appelante en l’espèce, et ordonné la radiation de l’exposé de sa demande contre Luc Laforge, l’intimé, pour le motif que cette demande est frappée de prescription et ne soulève donc pas de véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès.
Un incident survenu en 2013 a donné naissance à la poursuite introduite par M me Grondin quatre ans plus tard, en 2017, bien après l’expiration du délai de prescription de deux ans imparti par la loi. [ 2 ] Compte tenu de la norme de contrôle et des dispositions législatives applicables ainsi que de la preuve versée au dossier, je conclus que le juge saisi de la motion de M. Laforge n’a pas commis d’erreur en rendant un jugement
sommaire. II. Faits [ 3 ] Une fête ayant réuni parents et amis au domicile de M. Laforge, le 8 juin 2013, est à l’origine du présent litige. Vers 19 h, après le départ du traiteur, M me Grondin et d’autres invités jouaient aux cartes dans le garage attenant. Un incident qui est survenu entre M me Grondin et M. Laforge et dont ils ont donné des versions différentes a marqué la suite des événements.
A. L’incident de juin 2013 [ 4 ] Selon M me Grondin, elle était assise à table et jouait aux cartes quand M. Laforge s’est placé debout derrière elle puis a dit à répétition vouloir lui toucher les seins. Après qu’elle lui eut dit de la laisser tranquille, M. Laforge a répété ces propos en plaçant ses mains sur les épaules de M me Grondin et les faisant glisser vers les seins de celle-ci. Craignant que M. Laforge ne lui touche les seins et voulant l’en empêcher, M me Grondin s’est levée en se penchant vers la table. Après s’être tournée vers M.
Laforge et l’avoir invectivé d’injures, M me Grondin s’est retournée pour se rasseoir. À ce moment-là, M. Laforge a retiré la chaise sous M me Grondin, qui est tombée assise sur le plancher de ciment, s’est complètement vidée d’urine et a ressenti une douleur au coccyx. [ 5 ] M. Laforge reconnaît avoir retiré la chaise de M me Grondin; il nie toutefois avoir commis des actes ou tenu des propos à caractère sexuel envers elle. B. Les plaidoiries et les instances devant la Cour du Banc du Roi [ 6 ] En mai 2016, M me Grondin a déposé en Cour du Banc de la Reine contre M.
Laforge un avis de poursuite dans lequel elle alléguait avoir subi des blessures physiques et psychologiques en raison de comportements d’ordre sexuel qu’il aurait eus envers elle et du fait qu’il lui avait retiré sa chaise et dans lequel elle sollicitait des dommages-intérêts généraux et particuliers. En juin 2016, M me Grondin s’est désistée de cette poursuite. [ 7 ] En novembre 2017, quatre ans et cinq mois après l’incident de juin 2013, M me Grondin a déposé la même réclamation, invoquant cette fois l’ art. 14.1 de la
Loi sur la prescription , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5 , et les arts. 265 (voies de fait) et 271 (agression sexuelle) du Code criminel . Dans l’exposé de sa défense, M. Laforge reconnaît avoir retiré la chaise sous M me Grondin mais nie s’être livré à quelques agression, propos ou autre acte à caractère sexuel que ce soit envers elle. Il affirme que la réclamation de M me Grondin est prescrite depuis le 8 juin 2015, soit depuis deux ans après l’incident du 8 juin 2013 qui lui a donné naissance, et il invoque les par. 5(1) et (2) de la
Loi sur la prescription . Alors que l’art. 5 fixe des délais de prescription qui s’appliquent aux « réclamations », au sens donné à ce terme au par. 1(1), l’art. 14.1 dispose qu’une réclamation en dommages-intérêts ne peut être frappée de prescription « si l’acte reproché est de nature sexuelle. » Par souci de commodité, je reproduis en
annexe le texte intégral de la définition de « réclamation » donnée dans la
Loi sur la prescription , ainsi que des par. 5(1) et (2) et de l’art. 14.1 de cette loi. C. La motion et la décision du juge saisi de celle-ci [ 8 ] En février 2022, par voie de motion, M. Laforge a sollicité un jugement
sommaire sous le régime de la règle 22 des Règles de procédure et, de façon subsidiaire, la radiation de la plaidoirie de M me Grondin en vertu de la règle 23. Le 18 août 2022, immédiatement après avoir entendu les débats entre les avocates des parties, le juge saisi de cette motion a prononcé un jugement
sommaire contre M me Grondin et ordonné la radiation de sa plaidoirie au motif que celle-ci ne révélait aucune cause d’action en raison de son défaut d’établir − entre le caractère sexuel des gestes reprochés et les blessures alléguées − un lien qui aurait permis de faire obstacle, par application de l’ art. 14.1 de la
Loi sur la prescription , au délai de prescription de deux ans fixé au par. 5(1) . [ 9 ] En ce qui concerne la demande visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire, le juge a d’abord conclu que la cause réelle des blessures que M me Grondin affirme avoir subies était le retrait de sa chaise par M. Laforge. Selon le juge, même si M. Laforge s’était livré aux actes et aux propos à caractère sexuel qui lui sont reprochés, ce qui n’était pas établi, ceux-ci constituent des actes distincts du retrait de la chaise.
Ayant déterminé que la cause des blessures alléguées constitue un délit civil ne revêtant aucun caractère sexuel et pour lequel le délai de prescription de deux ans avait commencé à courir le 8 juin 2013, le juge a conclu que l’action était prescrite et qu’il n’y avait pas matière à procès. [ 10 ] Le juge a poursuivi son analyse en disant que, s’il se méprenait en établissant une distinction entre les allégations d’actes et de propos sexuels et le retrait de la chaise et qu’il devait déterminer, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, si M.
Laforge s’était bel et bien livré à de tels actes ou propos, il conclurait que tel n’était pas le cas. En définitive, le juge a accordé à M. Laforge un jugement
sommaire au motif qu’il n’y avait pas de véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès.
III. Les moyens d’appel [11] Mme Grondin prétend que le juge a commis de nombreuses erreurs, qui se résument ainsi : 1) des erreurs mixtes de fait et de droit :
a) en déterminant quelle était la cause de l’incident à l’origine de sa poursuite,
b) en tirant des conclusions de fait à défaut de preuve,
c) en appréciant la preuve produite par affidavit et la crédibilité des déposants,
d) en déterminant que sa cause d’action était dénuée de tout fondement,
e) en déterminant que sa cause d’action était prescrite; 2) une erreur de droit en lui imposant un fardeau de preuve « plus lourd » qu’à M. Laforge. [12] Devant notre Cour, M. Laforge soutient que, puisque Mme Grondin n’interjette pas appel del’ordonnance en radiation de sa plaidoirie qui a été rendue en vertu de la règle 23, son appel est théorique au sens de l’arrêt Borowski c. Canada (Procureur général), (CSC), [1989] 1 R.C.S. 342, [1989] A.C.S. no 14 (QL). Quant à elle, Mme Grondin prienotre Cour d’exercer le pouvoir discrétionnaire que lui confère la règle 62.21(5) advenant notre rejet de l’appel qu’elle a formé contre lejugement
sommaire prononcé sous le régime de la règle 22. La règle 62.21(5)
a) habilite notre Cour à exercer ses pouvoirs de juridictiond’appel « même si l’avis d’appel […] ne demande que l’infirmation […] partielle de l’ordonnance ou de la décision ». Compte tenu dece qui suit, il n’y a pas lieu d’exercer de ce pouvoir en l’espèce pour suppléer à quelque lacune que ce soit dans l’avis d’appel. IV. Analyse A. La norme de contrôle [13] La Cour a énoncé puis réitéré à maintes reprises la norme de contrôle applicable à l’exerciced’un recours contre un jugement
sommaire (voir O’Toole c. Peterson, 2018 NBCA 8, [2018] A.N.-B. nº 58 (QL), par. 58, citant Hryniakc. Mauldin, 2014 CSC 7, [2014] 1 R.C.S. 87; Russell et autre c. Northumberland Co-Operative Limited, 2019 NBCA 70, [2019] A.N.-B. no 285 (QL); Naeem c. Banque Royale du Canada, 2023 NBCA 18, [2023] A.N.-B. no 54 (QL)). [14] La détermination des faits par le juge qui exerce les pouvoirs discrétionnaires que lui confère larègle 22 commande la retenue à moins qu’un mauvais principe de droit ait été appliqué, auquel cas la norme de contrôle est celle de ladécision correcte.
La détermination de l’existence ou non d’une véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès combine ledroit et les faits; cette décision ne doit pas être infirmée en l’absence d’erreur manifeste et dominante, à moins d’erreur de principeisolable. Les conclusions de cet ordre appellent, encore une fois, la retenue : Russell, par. 19. En l’espèce, aucune controverse n’estsoulevée entre les parties à l’égard de la norme de contrôle applicable. B. Les allégations d’actes et de propos à caractère sexuel et la question de la crédibilité
[ 15 ] Les parties s’entendent pour dire que la question au cœur de la présente instance consiste à déterminer si M. Laforge a commis les actes et tenu les propos à caractère sexuel qui lui sont imputés par M me Grondin. Par souci d’économie judiciaire, il convient d’examiner l’appréciation que le juge a faite de la preuve par affidavit et de la crédibilité des déposants et qui l’a amené à conclure que M. Laforge n’avait pas commis les actes et tenu les propos qui lui sont reprochés.
Si cette conclusion est dénuée d’erreur, il n’est pas nécessaire d’examiner la question de la causalité ni celle de l’absence de recours formé contre la radiation de la plaidoirie. [ 16 ] La preuve testimoniale dont le juge disposait consistait en huit affidavits. M me Grondin et son conjoint ainsi que M. Laforge et sa conjointe ont chacun souscrit un affidavit; les autres déposants étaient également présents à la fête du 8 juin 2013. Dans son affidavit, M. Laforge nie avoir commis les actes et tenu les propos en question.
Les autres déposants, sauf M me Grondin, affirment que, ce jour-là, ils n’ont pas entendu M. Laforge tenir des propos à caractère sexuel ni ne l’ont vu commettre quelque acte que ce soit envers M me Grondin, si ce n’est de lui enlever sa chaise. Cinq des huit déposants, y compris M me Grondin et M. Laforge, étaient présents dans le garage au moment de l’incident allégué. Deux de ces cinq déposants étaient assis à la même table que M me Grondin ou à proximité.
Les déposants qui n’étaient pas dans le garage au moment de l’incident allégué ont affirmé qu’après sa chute et son retour de la salle de bains, M me Grondin a continué à jouer aux cartes sans se plaindre de douleurs ni mentionner d’actes ou de propos à caractère sexuel. Par ailleurs, certains déposants affirment avoir parlé à M me Grondin peu de temps après l’incident lorsqu’ils l’ont rencontrée à la banque et dans des commerces de la région. [ 17 ] Dans son affidavit, le conjoint de M me Grondin affirme qu’il n’a pas vu ni entendu M. Laforge commettre les actes ou tenir les propos qui lui sont imputés.
Il affirme avoir vu M. Laforge retirer la chaise de sa conjointe et avoir entendu sa conjointe pleurer et se plaindre de douleurs incroyables après sa chute. Contrairement aux autres déposants, il affirme avoir voulu ramener sa conjointe à la maison en raison de ses pleurs et de ses plaintes de douleur intense mais que, pour [TRADUCTION] « une raison étrange », elle a voulu retourner jouer aux cartes dans le garage. Il affirme avoir quitté le domicile de M. Laforge après minuit en compagnie de M me Grondin, qui [TRADUCTION] « ne semblait pas être elle-même, ni physiquement en raison de la douleur ni mentalement».
Il croit que l’incident allégué est survenu ainsi que le décrit sa conjointe. Trois déposants, dont M. Laforge et sa conjointe, affirment que M me Grondin et son conjoint ont quitté le domicile de M. Laforge au petit matin du 9 juin 2013, après 1 h 45. Selon M. Laforge et sa conjointe, M me Grondin et son conjoint sont partis les derniers. [ 18 ] Dans son affidavit, M me Grondin affirme que M. Laforge a commis les actes et tenu les propos reprochés. Elle affirme notamment que M. Laforge et sa nièce avaient consommé plus d’alcool que les autres et semblaient être sous l’emprise de la drogue; que la mère de M.
Laforge était présente et implorait son fils de mettre fin à ses comportements; et qu’elle a une « vague souvenance » d’être retournée jouer aux cartes. Elle fait aussi des affirmations contraires à celles d’autres déposants. [ 19 ] Dans les motifs de sa décision, le juge a dit ne pas retenir la version des faits donnée par M me Grondin pour ce qui concerne les comportements d’ordre sexuel qu’elle impute à M. Laforge. S’appuyant sur la règle 22.04, le juge a tranché la question de la crédibilité en faveur de M.
Laforge, en disant qu’il « [n’]accord[ait] pas foi à la version de Madame Grondin par une prépondérance de la preuve voulant que Luc Laforge ait posé des gestes à caractère sexuel. »
(1) Le fardeau de la preuve [ 20 ] En appel, M me Grondin soutient que le juge a commis plusieurs erreurs en concluant, sur la foi de la preuve dont il disposait, que M. Laforge n’avait pas commis les actes ni tenu les propos qu’elle lui impute. Elle fait d’abord remarquer que le juge a rendu sa décision oralement dès après l’audition de la motion. Selon elle, le juge a apprécié la preuve en fonction du nombre d’affidavits déposés à l’appui de la version des faits donnée par M.
Laforge. [ 21 ] Le fardeau de la preuve qui incombe à l’auteur d’une motion introduite sous le régime de la règle 22 est celui de la prépondérance des probabilités ( voir O’Toole ; Russell). Dans les motifs de sa décision, le juge a reconnu à maintes reprises que c’est là le fardeau qu’il devait appliquer et il a constaté « par une balance de probabilité qu’il n’y a pas eu de gestes à caractère sexuel ou suggestif […] » [ 22 ] La décision du juge a effectivement été rendue oralement, séance tenante, après l’audition de la motion.
Les motifs du juge ne sont, certes, pas un modèle de clarté ni de précision ou cohérence, mais une lecture ciblée de ceux-ci révèle qu’il a apprécié la preuve dans son ensemble et appliqué le fardeau de la prépondérance des probabilités pour conclure à l’absence d’actes ou de propos à caractère sexuel. Selon moi, le juge a correctement cerné et appliqué le fardeau de la preuve dicté par le droit.
(2) Les hypothèses soulevées par le juge [ 23 ] M me Grondin soutient qu’en soulevant des hypothèses dénuées de fondement probatoire, le juge a tiré des conclusions de fait qui ne sont pas étayées par la preuve. Par exemple, en traitant de la question de la causalité, il suppose notamment que M me Grondin aurait pu se lever de sa chaise si on l’avait approchée en tenant une cuillère ou une tarte à la crème, ou encore pour vouloir mélanger les cartes à jouer.
Il finit par conclure que M me Grondin s’est blessée, non pas parce qu’elle s’est levée de sa chaise, mais plutôt parce qu’elle s’est rassise dans le vide, M. Laforge l’ayant privée de sa chaise. De toute évidence, le juge a soulevé ces hypothèses pour illustrer sa conclusion quant à la cause des pertes et des blessures alléguées. Il est d’autant plus évident que le juge n’a pas invoqué ces hypothèses à l’appui de sa conclusion selon laquelle M. Laforge n’avait pas commis les actes ni tenu les propos que lui impute M me Grondin. Selon moi, cet argument n’a aucun fondement.
(3) L’appréciation de la preuve apportée par M me Grondin [ 24 ] M me Grondin soutient que le juge a fait abstraction de sa preuve. Elle fait valoir qu’il a écarté et omis de mentionner les faits attestés dans son affidavit pour contredire certains faits attestés par d’autres déposants. Elle souligne, entre autres, les contradictions suivantes : 1. Alors que M.
Laforge affirme que, le lendemain de l’incident, il a rencontré M me Grondin et son conjoint à vélo, sur une piste cyclable, M me Grondin, tout comme son conjoint, affirme que, ce jour-là, elle pouvait à peine s’asseoir et ressentait une douleur telle qu’elle n’est pas sortie de la journée; 2. Deux déposants, des conjoints, nient avoir vu les actes et entendu les paroles imputées à M. Laforge. Ils affirment qu’après l’incident M me Grondin s’est présentée à leur commerce, déclarant sa volonté de le poursuivre en justice et de tenter de s’entendre avec lui sur le paiement d’une somme d’argent.
En revanche, M me Grondin affirme que, quelques mois après l’incident, elle a rencontré ces deux déposants à la banque, plutôt qu’à leur commerce, et ils lui ont dit avoir été étonnés des actes et des paroles de M. Laforge à son égard le 8 juin 2013. M me Grondin reconnaît toutefois qu’en 2016, lors d’une visite au commerce des déposants, elle leur a dit qu’elle « voulait de l’argent de M. Laforge » et qu’elle voulait « voir si Luc pouvait l’aider […] »; 3. M me Grondin affirme que certains déposants se méprennent sur l’identité de la personne avec qui elle faisait équipe pendant la
partie de cartes et que l’affidavit de son conjoint corrobore sa version à elle. [ 25 ] M me Grondin soutient que le juge aurait dû soupeser sa preuve au lieu de n’en retenir qu’une
partie et d’écarter le reste.
Quoique l’avocate de M me Grondin reconnaisse qu’il n’incombait pas au juge de traiter de chaque élément de preuve, elle fait valoir que sa cliente « doit avoir dit la vérité quelque part ». [ 26 ] M me Grondin semble soutenir, d’une part, que le juge n’a pas suffisamment motivé sa décision et, d’autre part, que le fait que le juge n’a pas mentionné certains faits attestés par elle dans son affidavit établit qu’il les a écartés. [ 27 ] La Cour suprême a souligné à maintes reprises l’importance d’une interprétation fonctionnelle et contextuelle des motifs donnés par le juge lorsque leur insuffisance est alléguée : R c.
G.F ., 2021 CSC 20 , 2021 A.C.S. n o 20 (QL) . Voir également R. c. Gagnon , 2006 CSC 17 , [2006] 1 R.C.S. 621 , par. 19 ; Hill c. Commission des services policiers de la municipalité régionale de Hamilton-Wentworth , 2007 CSC 41 , [ 2007] 3 R.C.S. 129 , par. 101 ; R. c. Dinardo , 2008 CSC 24 , [2008] 1 R.C.S. 788 , par. 25 ; R. c. R.E.M. , 2008 CSC 51 , [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3 , par. 15 ; R. c. Laboucan , 2010 CSC 12 , [2010] 1 R.C.S. 397 , par. 16 ; R. c. Vuradin , 2013 CSC 38 , [2013] 2 R.C.S. 639 , par. 10 , 15 et 19; R. c. Villaroman , 2016 CSC 33 , [2016] 1 R.C.S. 1000 , par. 15 ; R. c.
Chung , 2020 CSC 8 , [2020] R.C.S. 405 , par. 13 . Notre tâche consiste à rechercher si les motifs, situés dans leur contexte et pris dans leur ensemble, à la lumière des questions en litige, expliquent ce qu’a décidé le juge et les raisons pour lesquelles il l’a fait, d’une façon qui permet un examen efficace en appel. [ 28 ] Si M me Grondin attaque bel et bien la suffisance des motifs donnés par le juge, son argument n’a aucun fondement; ces motifs ne sont pas un modèle de clarté, mais ils permettent tout de même de comprendre ce que le juge a décidé et pourquoi il a décidé ainsi : R. c.
G.F. , par. 71 , mentionnant R. c. Sheppard , 2002 CSC 26 , [2002] 1 R.C.S. 869 .
[ 29 ] Quant aux faits attestés par M me Grondin dans son affidavit pour contredire certains faits attestés par d’autres déposants, le commentaire de son avocate selon lequel sa cliente « doit avoir dit la vérité quelque part » suppose que le juge aurait dû commenter chacune des assertions des déposants et préciser lesquelles il retenait et lesquelles il rejetait. Or, la recherche des faits n’impose pas au juge un tel devoir.
En l’espèce, d ans les motifs de sa décision, le juge a remis en question le défaut de M me Grondin d’exercer son droit de contre-interroger les déposants, compte tenu des divergences qui se manifestaient entre sa version et celle des autres déposants quant aux actes et aux propos imputés à M. Laforge ainsi qu’aux rencontres qu’elle avait eues avec d’autres déposants après l’incident. Devant notre Cour, l’avocate de M me Grondin a affirmé avoir songé à en faire la demande mais y avoir renoncé pour des raisons d’ordre stratégique.
Qu’à cela ne tienne, les parties qui se présentent devant le tribunal pour obtenir un jugement
sommaire, ou pour en opposer la demande, doivent garder à l’esprit l’importance que revêt, dans le contexte de la règle 22, le précepte classique engageant les parties à faire de leur mieux et à jouer atout ou risquer de perdre ( voir O’Toole , par. 65 et 68 ; Russell , par. 28). [ 30 ] En l’espèce, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, le juge a tranché que M. Laforge n’avait pas commis les actes ni tenu les propos à caractère sexuel que lui reproche M me Grondin, et ce, dans l’exercice des pouvoirs discrétionnaires que confère la règle 22.
Les allégations de comportements d’ordre sexuel ayant été jugées non fondées, l’action était manifestement prescrite depuis le 8 juin 2015 par application du par. 5(1) de la
Loi sur la prescription et aucune véritable question en litige ne nécessitait la tenue d’un procès. V. Conclusion et dispositif [ 31 ] Je ne peux discerner d’erreur manifeste ou dominante dans les conclusions de fait ou dans les conclusions mixtes de droit et de fait du juge saisi de la motion. De plus, je conclus qu’il a cerné et appliqué correctement les règles de droit pertinentes, dont le délai de prescription applicable.
À mon avis, puisque le juge a été en mesure de trancher le litige de manière juste et équitable sur la foi de la seule preuve par affidavit dont il disposait, il n’existe pas de véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. Sous le régime de la règle 22, il devait donc accorder un jugement
sommaire : Russell , par. 22. [ 32 ] Compte tenu de cette conclusion, il n’est pas nécessaire que j’examine la question de la cause du préjudice allégué par M me Grondin ni celle du défaut de cette dernière d’appeler de la radiation de sa plaidoirie. [ 33 ] Pour les motifs qui précèdent, je rejetterais l’appel et je condamnerais l’appelante à verser des dépens de 3 500 $ à l’intimé. English version of the judgment of the Court delivered by LEBLANC, J.A. I. Overview [1] On August 18, 2022, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench (as it was then called) granted
summary judgment against Claire Grondin, the appellant in this case, and ordered that her statement of claim against Luc Laforge, the
respondent, be struck out on the grounds that the claim is statute-barred and that there is therefore no genuine issue requiring a trial. Ms. Grondin commenced an action in 2017 as a result of an incident that occurred four years earlier, in 2013, and thus well after the expiration of the two-year limitation period prescribed by law. [2] Considering the applicable standard of review and statutory provisions as well as the evidence on the record, I find that the motion judge committed no error in granting
summary judgment. II. Facts [3] This case stems from a party with relatives and friends held at the home of Mr. Laforge on June 8, 2013. At approximately 7 p.m., after the caterer had left, Ms. Grondin and other guests were playing cards in the attached garage. An incident that occurred between Ms. Grondin and Mr. Laforge, and of which they have given different versions, marked what followed. A. Incident of June 2013 [4] Ms. Grondin claims that she was seated at a table and playing cards when Mr. Laforge came and stood behind her and repeatedly said he wanted to touch her breasts.
After she told him to leave her alone, Mr. Laforge repeated these remarks while placing his hands on Ms. Grondin’s shoulders and sliding them towards her breasts. Fearing that Mr. Laforge would touch her breasts and wanting to stop him, Ms. Grondin stood up, leaning towards the table. After having turned towards Mr. Laforge and insulted him, Ms. Grondin turned around to sit down again, at which time Mr. Laforge pulled the chair from under her; Ms. Grondin fell on her behind on the cement floor, completely emptied her bladder and felt pain in her coccyx. [5] Mr.
Laforge acknowledges having pulled the chair from under Ms. Grondin; he denies, however, having committed acts or made remarks of a sexual nature towards her. B. Pleadings and Hearings before the Court of Queen’s Bench [6] In May 2016, Ms. Grondin filed a Notice of Action against Mr. Laforge in the Court of Queen’s Bench. In the Notice of Action, she claimed to have suffered physical and psychological injuries as a result of Mr. Laforge’s alleged sexual conduct towards her and as a result of his pulling the chair from under her and sought general and special damages. In June 2016, Ms.
Grondin discontinued the action. [7] In November 2017, four years and five months after the incident of June 2013, Ms. Grondin filed the same claim, this time relying on s. 14.1 of the Limitation of Actions Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 , and ss. 265 (assault) and 271 (sexual assault) of the Criminal Code . In his Statement of Defence, Mr. Laforge admits to having pulled the chair from under Ms. Grondin but denies having sexually assaulted her in any way or having subjected her to any remark or other act of a sexual nature. He argues that Ms.
Grondin’s claim has been statute-barred since June 8, 2015, two years after the incident on which it is based, which occurred on June 8, 2013, and he relies on ss. 5(1) and (2) of the Limitation of Actions Act . Whereas s. 5 sets limitation periods that apply to “claims”, within the meaning of s. 1(1), s. 14.1 provides that a claim for damages cannot be statute-barred “if the act complained of is of a sexual nature”.
For ease of reference, I have attached to this judgment the full text of the definition of the word “claim” found in the Limitation of Actions Act , as well as of ss. 5(1) and (2) and s. 14.1 of the Act . C. Motion and Motion Judge’s Decision [8] In February 2022, Mr. Laforge moved for
summary judgment under Rule 22 of the Rules of Court and, alternatively, moved for Ms. Grondin’s pleadings to be struck out under Rule 23. On August 18, 2022, immediately after having heard arguments from the parties’ counsel, the motion judge granted
summary judgment against Ms. Grondin and ordered that her pleading be struck out on the grounds that they revealed no cause of action, as it failed to establish – between the sexual nature of the conduct complained of and the alleged injuries – a connection that could have barred, by operation of s. 14.1 of the Limitation of Actions Act , the application of the two-year limitation period set out in s. 5(1) of the Act .
[9] Regarding the request for
summary judgment, the judge first concluded that the actual causeof the injuries that Ms. Grondin claims to have suffered was Mr. Laforge’s conduct in pulling the chair from under her. According to thejudge, even if Mr. Laforge had committed the sexual act and made the sexual remarks that are complained of, which has not beenestablished, these acts and remarks are distinct from the act of pulling away the chair.
Having determined that the cause of the allegedinjuries is a tort that has nothing of a sexual nature and for which the two-year limitation period began to run on June 8, 2013, the judgefound that the action was statute-barred and that there was no triable issue. [10] The judge continued his analysis by saying that, if he was wrong in making a distinctionbetween the allegations of acts and remarks of a sexual nature and the act of pulling away the chair and was required to determine, on abalance of probabilities, whether Mr.
Laforge did in fact commit such acts or make such remarks, he would find that such was not thecase. Ultimately, the judge granted Mr. Laforge
summary judgment on the ground that there was no genuine issue requiring a trial. III. Grounds of Appeal [11] Ms. Grondin claims that the judge committed numerous errors that can be summarized asfollows: 1) errors of mixed fact and law:
a) in determining the cause of the incident on which her action is based;
b) in drawing findings of fact in the absence of evidence;
c) in assessing the affidavit evidence and the credibility of the affiants;
d) in finding that her cause of action was without merit;
e) in finding that her cause of action was statute-barred; 2) an error in law in placing on her a [TRANSLATION] “heavier” burden of proof than that placed on Mr. Laforge. [12] Before this Court, Mr. Laforge claims that, since Ms. Grondin does not appeal the order strikingout her pleading that was issued under Rule 23, her appeal is moot pursuant to Borowski v. Canada (Attorney General), (CSC), [1989] 1 S.C.R. 342, [1989] S.C.J. No. 14 (QL). Ms. Grondin, for her part, asks this Court to exercise its discretion underRule 62.21(5) if we dismiss her appeal against the
summary judgment granted under Rule 22. Rule 62.21(5)(
a) authorizes this Court toexercise its powers as a court of appeal “notwithstanding that the notice of appeal […] requests that part only of the order or decision bereversed […].” Considering the following, there is no need to exercise that authority in this case to compensate for any deficiency in theNotice of Appeal. IV. Analysis A. Standard of Review [13] This Court has stated and often reiterated the standard of review that applies in
summaryjudgment proceedings (see O’Toole v. Peterson, 2018 NBCA 8, [2018] N.B.J. No. 58 (QL), at para. 58, quoting Hryniak v. Mauldin,2014 SCC 7, [2014] 1 S.C.R. 87; Russell et al. v. Northumberland Co-Operative Limited, 2019 NBCA 70, [2019] N.B.J. No. 285 (QL);Naeem v. Royal Bank of Canada, 2023 NBCA 18, [2023] N.B.J. No. 54 (QL)).
[14] Deference is owed with respect to the exercise of the fact-finding powers conferred by Rule 22 unless an incorrect principle of law is applied in the process, in which case the standard of review is correctness. The determination of whether there is a genuine issue requiring a trial is a combination of mixed fact and law and, unless there is an extricable error in principle, it should not be overturned absent palpable and overriding error. Again, deference is owed to such findings: Russell , at para. 19.
In the case before us, the parties have raised no issue with respect to the applicable standard of review. B. Allegations of Acts and Remarks of a Sexual Nature and the Issue of Credibility [15] The parties agree that the issue central to this case is whether Mr. Laforge committed the act and made the remarks of a sexual nature of which he is accused by Ms. Grondin. In the interests of judicial economy, it is appropriate to review the judge’s assessment of the affidavit evidence and of the credibility of the affiants, which led him to rule that Mr.
Laforge had not committed the acts nor made the remarks of which he is accused. If there is no error in this ruling, it is not necessary to consider the issue of causation nor the failure to appeal the striking out of the pleading. [16] The evidence before the judge consisted of eight affidavits. Ms. Grondin and her spouse as well as Mr. Laforge and his spouse each swore an affidavit; the other affiants also attended the party on June 8, 2013. In his affidavit, Mr. Laforge denies having committed the acts and made the remarks that are alleged. The other affiants, except Ms.
Grondin, state that, on that day, they did not hear Mr. Laforge make sexual remarks nor did they see him commit any act against Ms. Grondin, other than to pull the chair from under her. Five of the eight affiants, including Ms. Grondin and Mr. Laforge, were present in the garage at the time of the alleged incident. Two of these five affiants were sitting at the same table as Ms. Grondin or close by. The affiants who were not in the garage at the time of the alleged incident stated that, after falling and returning from the bathroom, Ms.
Grondin continued to play cards without complaining of any pain nor mentioning conduct or remarks of a sexual nature. Moreover, some of the affiants claim to have spoken to Ms. Grondin shortly after the incident, when they ran into her at the bank and at businesses in the region. [17] In his affidavit, Ms. Grondin’s spouse states that he neither saw nor heard Mr. Laforge commit the acts or make the remarks of which he is accused. He states that he saw Mr. Laforge pull away his spouse’s chair and heard his spouse crying and complaining of incredible pain after her fall.
Unlike the other affiants, he states that he wanted to take his spouse home because of her sobs and the incredible pain of which she was complaining, but that, for “some strange reason,” she wanted to go back and play cards in the garage. He states that he left Mr. Laforge’s home after midnight with Ms. Grondin, who “did not appear to be her normal self, not just physically because of the pain but mentally.” He believes that the alleged incident occurred as described by his spouse. Three affiants, including Mr. Laforge and his spouse, state that Ms. Grondin and her spouse left Mr.
Laforge’s home in the early hours of June 9, 2013, after 1:45 a.m. According to Mr. Laforge and his spouse, Ms. Grondin and her spouse were the last to leave. [18] In her affidavit, Ms. Grondin claims that Mr. Laforge committed the acts and made the remarks of which he is accused. She states that Mr. Laforge and his niece had consumed more alcohol than the others and seemed to be under the influence of drugs; that Mr. Laforge’s mother was present and was begging her son to stop acting as he was; and that she has a [TRANSLATION] “vague recollection” of having gone back to play cards.
She also makes statements that contradict the statements of other affiants. [19] In his reasons for judgment, the judge stated that he did not accept Ms. Grondin’s version of the facts with respect to the conduct of a sexual nature of which she accuses Mr. Laforge. Relying on Rule 22.04, the judge decided the question of credibility in favour of Mr. Laforge, stating that he [TRANSLATION] “did not, on a balance of probabilities, believe Ms. Grondin’s version according to which Luc Laforge committed acts of a sexual nature.”
(1) Burden of Proof [20] On appeal, Ms. Grondin claims the judge committed several errors in finding, based on the evidence before him, that Mr. Laforge had not committed the acts nor made the remarks of which she accuses him. She first points out that the judge rendered his decision orally, immediately after hearing the motion. She is of the view that the judge weighed the evidence based on the number of affidavits filed in support of Mr. Laforge’s version of the facts. [21] The burden of proof that the moving party under Rule 22 must discharge is on a balance of probabilities (see O’Toole ; Russell ).
In his reasons for judgment, the judge repeatedly acknowledged that such is the burden of proof that he was required to apply, and he determined [TRANSLATION] “on a balance of probabilities that there had not been any acts that were
suggestive or of a sexual nature […].” [22] The judge’s decision was rendered orally, from the bench, following the hearing of the motion. The judge’s reasons are admittedly not a model of clarity nor of precision or coherence, but a careful reading of these reasons reveals that he weighed the whole of the evidence and applied the burden of proof on a balance of probabilities before finding that there had been no acts or remarks of a sexual nature. In my view, the judge correctly identified and applied the legal burden of proof.
(2) Hypotheses Raised by the Judge [23] Ms. Grondin argues that by raising hypotheses without evidentiary basis, the judge drew fact findings that are not supported by the evidence. For example, in addressing the issue of causation, he assumes that Ms. Grondin could have gotten up from her chair if someone had approached her holding a spoon or a cream pie, or to shuffle the playing cards. He finally concludes that Ms. Grondin suffered injuries not because she got up from her chair, but rather because she sat back down into a void, Mr. Laforge having deprived her of her chair.
Quite obviously, the judge raised these hypotheses to illustrate his conclusion with respect to the cause of the alleged losses and injuries. It is all the more obvious that the judge did not raise these hypotheses in support of his finding that Mr. Laforge had not committed the acts nor made the remarks of which Ms. Grondin accuses him. In my view, this argument is without merit.
(3) Weighing Ms. Grondin’s Evidence [24] Ms. Grondin argues that the judge did not take her evidence into account. She argues that he dismissed and failed to mention the facts sworn to in her affidavit to contradict certain facts sworn by other affiants. In particular, she points out the following contradictions: 1. Whereas Mr. Laforge states that, the day after the incident, he ran into Ms. Grondin and her spouse who were cycling on a bicycle path, Ms. Grondin, like her spouse, states that, that day, she could barely sit down and felt such pain that she did not go out at all. 2.
Two affiants, who are spouses, deny witnessing the acts and hearing the remarks of which Mr. Laforge is accused. They state that, after the incident, Ms. Grondin came to their shop, stating that she wanted to sue [Mr. Laforge] and to attempt to come to an agreement with him on the payment of an amount of money. On the other hand, Ms. Grondin states that, several months after the incident, she ran into those two affiants at the bank, rather than at their place of business, and that they told her that they had been surprised by Mr. Laforge’s conduct and remarks towards her on June 8, 2013. Ms.
Grondin does, however, acknowledge that in 2016, when she went to the affiants’ place of business, she told them that she [TRANSLATION] “wanted money from Mr. Laforge” and that she wanted to [TRANSLATION] “see if Luc could help her […].” 3. Ms. Grondin claims that certain affiants are mistaken with respect to the identity of the person with whom she was paired during the card game and that her spouse’s affidavit corroborates her version of the incident. [25] Ms. Grondin argues that the judge should have weighed her evidence rather than accepting only part of it and dismissing the rest. Although Ms.
Grondin’s counsel acknowledges that the judge was not required to address each piece of evidence, she argues that her client [TRANSLATION] “must have stated the truth at some point”. [26] Ms. Grondin seems to claim, on the one hand, that the judge did not give sufficient reasons for his decision and, on the other hand, that the fact that he did not mention certain facts that she swore to in her affidavit shows that he dismissed them. [27] The Supreme Court has repeatedly pointed out the importance of a functional and contextual reading of the judge’s reasons where it is alleged that they are insufficient: R. v.
G.F . , 2021 SCC 20 , 2021 S.C.J. No. 20 (QL) . See also R. v. Gagnon , 2006 SCC 17 , [2006] 1 S.C.R. 621 , at para. 19 ; Hill v. Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Police Services Board , 2007 SCC 41 , [ 2007] 3 S.C.R. 129 , at para. 101 ; R. v. Dinardo , 2008 SCC 24 , [2008] 1 S.C.R. 788 , at para. 25 ; R. v. R.E.M. , 2008 SCC 51 , [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3 , at para. 15 ; R. v. Laboucan , 2010 SCC 12 , [2010] 1 S.C.R. 397 , at para. 16 ; R. v. Vuradin , 2013 SCC 38 , [2013] 2 S.C.R. 639 , at paras. 10 , 15 and 19; R. v. Villaroman , 2016 SCC 33 , [2016] 1 S.C.R. 1000 , at para. 15 ; R. v.
Chung , 2020 SCC 8 , [2020] S.C.R. 405 , at para. 13 . Our role is to determine whether the reasons, read in context and as a whole, in light of the live issues, explain what the judge decided and why they decided that way in a manner that permits effective appellate review.
[28] If Ms. Grondin is in fact challenging the sufficiency of the judge’s reasons, her argument is without merit. These reasons are not a model of clarity, but they nonetheless make it possible to understand what the judge decided and why he decided that way: R. v. G.F. , at para. 71 , mentioning R. v. Sheppard , 2002 SCC 26 , [2002] 1 S.C.R. 869 . [29] With respect to the facts sworn by Ms.
Grondin in her affidavit to contradict certain facts sworn by other affiants, her counsel’s comment, according to which her client [TRANSLATION] “must have told the truth at some point”, assumes that the judge should have commented on each of the affiants’ assertions and indicated which assertions he accepted and which he dismissed. However, fact-finding does not impose such an obligation on the judge. In the case before us, the judge, in his reasons for judgment, took issue with Ms.
Grondin’s failure to exercise her right to cross-examine the affiants, considering the differences that became apparent between her version and that of the other affiants with respect to the acts and remarks of which Mr. Laforge is accused and Ms. Grondin’s encounters with other affiants after the incident. Before this Court, Ms. Grondin’s counsel stated that she had considered making a request [to cross-examine] but had decided against it for strategic reasons. Be that as it may, the parties who appear in court to obtain a
summary judgment, or to oppose the application, must keep in mind the importance, in the context of Rule 22, of the old adage of putting one’s best foot forward and leading trump or risk losing (see O’Toole , at paras. 65 and 68 ; Russell , at para. 28). [30] In the case before us, on the balance of probabilities, the judge, in exercising the discretion conferred by Rule 22, ruled that Mr. Laforge had neither committed the acts nor made the remarks of a sexual nature of which Ms. Grondin accuses him.
Once determined that the allegations of sexual conduct were without merit, the action was obviously statute- barred since June 8, 2015, under s. 5(1) of the Limitation of Actions Act , and there was no genuine issue requiring a trial. V. Conclusion and disposition [31] I can find no palpable and overriding error in the motion judge’s findings of fact nor in his findings of mixed fact and law. Moreover, I find that he correctly identified and applied the relevant rules of law, in particular the applicable limitation period.
In my view, since the judge was able to adjudicate the dispute fairly and justly, solely on the affidavit evidence before him, there is no genuine issue requiring a trial. Under Rule 22, he was required to grant
summary judgment: Russell , at para. 22. [32] As a result of this conclusion, it is not necessary for me to consider the cause of the loss alleged by Ms. Grondin nor her failure to appeal the striking out of her pleading. [33] For the above reasons, I would dismiss the appeal and order the appellant to pay costs of $3,500 to the respondent.
ANNEXE A /
SCHEDULE “A”
Loi sur la prescription , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5 QUESTIONS PRÉLIMINAIRES Définitions et interprétation Limitation of Actions Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 PRELIMINARY MATTERS
Definitions and
interpretation
(1) Les définitions qui suivent s’appliquent à la présente loi. […] « réclamation » Réclamation pour obtenir réparation de préjudices, de pertes ou de dommages survenus par suite d’un acte ou d’une omission. […] DÉLAIS DE PRESCRIPTION ORDINAIRES Délais de prescription ordinaires 5
(1) Sauf disposition contraire de la présente loi, toute réclamation se prescrit par celui des délais ci-dessous qui expire le premier :
a) deux ans à compter du jour où sont découverts les faits y ayant donné naissance;
b) quinze ans à compter du jour où a eu lieu l’acte ou l’omission sur lequel elle est fondée. 5
(2) Les faits ayant donné naissance à la réclamation sont découverts le jour où le réclamant a appris ou aurait dû normalement apprendre :
a) que sont survenus les préjudices, les pertes ou les dommages;
b) que les préjudices, les pertes ou les dommages ont été causés entièrement ou en
partie par un acte ou une omission;
c) que l’acte ou l’omission était le fait du défendeur. 1
(1) The following
definitions apply in this Act. “claim” means a claim to remedy the injury, loss or damage that occurred as a result of
an act or omission. […] GENERAL LIMITATION PERIODS General limitation periods 5
(1) Unless otherwise provided in this Act, no claim shall be brought after the earlier of (
a) two years from the day on which the claim is discovered, and (
b) fifteen years from the day on which the act or omission on which the claim is based occurred. 5 (2)A claim is discovered on the day on which the claimant first knew or ought reasonably to have known (
a) that the injury, loss or damage had occurred, (
b) that the injury, loss or damage was caused by or contributed to by
an act or omission, and (
c) that the act or omission was that of the
[…] DÉLAIS DE PRESCRIPTION PARTICULIERS […] Atteinte directe, voie de fait ou batterie 14.1 Aucun délai de prescription n’est prévu dans le cas d’une réclamation en dommages-intérêts pour atteinte directe, voie de fait ou batterie si l’acte reproché est de nature sexuelle. defendant. […] SPECIAL LIMITATION PERIODS […] Trespass to the person, assault or battery 14.1 There is no limitation period in respect of a claim for damages for trespass to the person, assault or battery if the act complained of is of a sexual nature.