2019 NBCA 21, 2019 NBCA 21
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 43-18-CA DONALD J. HIGGINS, as Executor of the Estate ofCaroline J. Higgins and THE ESTATE OFCAROLINE J. HIGGINS APPELLANTS DONALD J. HIGGINS, en sa qualité d’exécuteur dela succession de Caroline J. Higgins et LASUCCESSION DE CAROLINE J. HIGGINS APPELANTS - and - - et - DAVID A. ARSENEAU RESPONDENT DAVID A. ARSENEAU INTIMÉ Higgins v. Arseneau, 2019 NBCA 21 Higgins c.
Arseneau, 2019 NBCA 21 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LaVigne CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: March 27, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 27 mars 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2018 NBBR 61 , 2018 NBQB 061 Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBBR 61 , 2018 NBBR 061 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: December 12, 2018 Appel entendu : le 12 décembre 2018 Judgment rendered: February 21, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 21 février 2019
Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: George A. McAllister, Q.C. For the respondent: David G. O’Brien, Q.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : George A. McAllister, c.r. Pour l’intimé : David G. O’Brien, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT I. Introduction [ 1 ] The Executor of the estate of Caroline Higgins, Donald J. Higgins, and his siblings claim they suffered a loss of inheritance from their sister’s estate, which is compensable under the Fatal Accidents Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. F-7 .
The trial judge found they did not, because, based on the applicable legal test, they did not have a reasonable expectation of benefitting from their sister’s estate. [ 2 ] When this action was commenced, it included not only the claim of the Executor under the Fatal Accidents Act , but also the estate’s claim under the Survival of Actions Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. S-18 , which sought to recover Ms. Higgins’ post-death loss of income from the respondent, Mr. Arseneau. This Court determined the estate was unable to recover damages for post-death loss of income under the latter Act : The Estate of Caroline Higgins v.
Arseneau, 2014 NBCA 65 , 425 N.B.R. (2d) 109 per Drapeau C.J.N.B. The issue under the Fatal Accidents Act is the sole one left to be determined. [ 3 ] Caroline Higgins was 46 years of age when she was killed in a tragic motorcycle-pedestrian accident by Donald Arseneau who drove his motorcycle up onto the sidewalk and hit her while she was jogging. At the time of her death Ms. Higgins practiced law, was unmarried and had no children. Ms.
Higgins left the entire residue of her estate in trust for the benefit of her niece, Daria Radzievskii, who is disabled. [ 4 ] The Will empowers the Executor to use as much of the income or capital of the trust as he in his absolute and uncontrolled discretion deems advisable from time to time. The Will further provides that if Daria Radzievskii dies before any capital and any accumulated interest of her trust had been distributed or exhausted, the trust terminates.
Any amount of capital and accumulated interest remaining shall be transferred to the named siblings, or whichever of them survives, in equal shares. [ 5 ] The appellants argued this case below and on appeal on the issue of vesting. They submitted the siblings’ interests under the Will vested when Caroline Higgins died. Therefore, they had a reasonable expectation that they or their estates or named beneficiaries would inherit from the estate when Daria Radzievskii dies.
[ 6 ] The respondent argued that the issue of vesting is irrelevant and the question pure and simple is whether the siblings had a reasonable expectation of benefitting from the deceased’s estate. For the reasons that follow, we agree with the respondent that this question is the one to be answered. Likewise, we agree with the trial judge when she answered the question in the negative and dismissed the action. II. Analysis A. The pertinent sections of the Will [ 7 ] Under the Will, the testatrix set up this pure discretionary trust, or “Henson Trust”, and created a lifetime benefit to her niece.
If the niece dies and money remains the siblings will inherit the residue.
Here are the terms in the Will the testatrix attached to the trust: ▪ Neither this portion of my estate nor any income therefore shall vest in my niece and the only interest she shall have therein shall be in payments actually made to her or on her behalf ▪ …it is my wish that this trust maximizes my niece’s entitlement to benefits provided by the Ontario Disability Support Payments Act and its Regulations or by other government or public agencies in Ontario or elsewhere in Canada ▪ …should it become unlawful for my trustee to accumulate income, then any income not paid in any year to my niece or used on her behalf shall be paid to my brother and sisters surviving at the time in equal shares. [ 8 ] To recap, the Executor has an absolute and uncontrolled discretion to use as much of the income and capital of the trust for the benefit of his niece as he deems advisable.
Should the niece die before the capital and accumulated income of her trust has been distributed or exhausted, the trust shall terminate and any amount remaining shall be transferred to the surviving siblings. B. Vesting [ 9 ] Briefly put, the appellants submit the siblings’ interests under the Will vested when Caroline Higgins died. Therefore, each of the siblings’ estates and beneficiaries would receive the siblings’ inheritance if the sibling died before Daria Radzievskii.
This is despite the fact the trust provided that when Daria Radzievskii died the estate would be distributed to any of Caroline Higgins’ remaining siblings. [ 10 ] The trial judge did not agree with the appellants’ argument regarding vesting — nor can we.
Instead, we agree with the respondent that the issue of vesting is a diversion from the real issue of whether the class of beneficiaries named in the Fatal Accidents Act (in this case the siblings) had any reasonable expectation of pecuniary benefit during their lifetimes which has been frustrated by Caroline Higgins’ premature death. [ 11 ] The trial judge found, and we agree, that whether the estate vested is not critical to the decision of whether there is any evidence of the siblings having a reasonable expectation of deriving a benefit from Caroline Higgins’ estate.
The trial judge did not err in declining to answer the question of vesting. C. Reasonable expectation of benefitting
[12] The claim under the Fatal Accidents Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c.
F-7, the Act in force at the time ofthe accident, is based on two sections: 3(1) Every action under this Act shall be forthe benefit of the spouse, parent, child,brother and sister, or any of them, of thedeceased, and except as hereinafter provided,shall be brought by and in the name of theexecutor or administrator. 3(2) Subject to subsection (3), in every suchaction such damages as are proportional tothe pecuniary loss resulting from the deathshall be awarded to the persons respectivelyfor whose benefit the action is brought. 3(1) Toute action intentée en vertu de laprésente loi doit l’être en faveur d’unconjoint, d’un parent, d’un enfant, d’un frèreet d’une sœur de la victime, ou d’un de ceux-ci, et, sauf disposition contraire de la présenteloi, elle est intentée par l’exécuteurtestamentaire ou l’administrateur en sonpropre nom. 3(2)
Sous réserve du paragraphe (3), danstoute action de ce genre, les dommages-intérêts proportionnels à la perte pécuniairerésultant du décès doivent être attribuésrespectivement aux personnes en faveur dequi l’action est intentée. [13] Unfortunately, counsel for the parties were unable to cite any case law dealing with a similarfact situation under s. 3(1) in which a brother and sisters claimed damages. The jurisprudence reveals actions for the benefit of spouses orchildren of the deceased. The jurisprudence does provide guidance generally in interpreting the sections.
Pecuniary loss is not defined inthe Act but it has been interpreted by this Court to mean “the reasonable expectation of pecuniary benefit from a continued life of thedeceased: Harris Estate v. Roy’s Midway Transport Ltd. (1989), (NB CA), 97 N.B.R. (2d) 251, [1989] N.B.J. No.501 (QL), per Stratton C.J.N.B. Loss of inheritance is recognized as a recoverable head of damages in fatal accidents: Proctor et al. v.Dyck et al., (SCC), [1953] 1 S.C.R. 244.
Since the answers to the hypotheticals inherent in loss of inheritance claims arehighly speculative, such claims are comparatively rare: Ken Cooper-Stephenson and Elizabeth Adjin-Tettey, Personal Injury Damages inCanada, 3d ed., Carswell, p. 980. D. Trial judge’s findings [14] The trial judge correctly identified the threshold question to be answered in this case: Did thesiblings have a reasonable expectation of benefitting from the deceased’s estate?: Miller Estate v. Brownes, 1986 CarswellOnt 963,paras. 26-27, aff’d 1988 CarswellOnt 599 (Ont.
C.A.). [15] The trial judge also correctly identified the pertinent sections of the Act which govern the claim;she stated the legal test and she found there was no reasonable and well-founded expectation of pecuniary benefit on the part of thesiblings. The trial judge heard the testimony of Daria Radzievskii’s mother regarding the various benefits provided to her daughter bythe government of Ontario. One might surmise the trust money might never have to be used for Daria Radzievskii. However, thisevidence did not do anything to bolster a reasonable expectation argument.
The trial judge based her decision on the followingcontingencies: One of the siblings would have to survive both Caroline Higgins and Daria Radzievskii. The youngest sibling, Siobhan Higgins, is32 years older than Daria Radzievskii. Although disabled, Daria Radzievskii has a normal life expectancy. (The uncontestedactuarial report showed that Daria Radzievskii is expected to outlive the youngest sibling by more than 30 years); The trust must not have been exhausted by payments in favour of Daria Radzievskii; Caroline Higgins would never have changed her Will to remove her siblings as beneficiaries; and
Caroline Higgins would never have married (which would have revoked the Will). In order for the siblings (or any of them) to have any claim for loss of inheritance of any amount whatsoever, all of the abovecontingencies would be required to have materialized. [16] Based on these contingencies the trial judge found the claimants have not shown any evidenceof what is a reasonable expectation of pecuniary benefit.
The trial judge found any loss is speculative and the threshold test had not beenmet; therefore, she dismissed the action. [17] The trial judge’s findings of fact are entitled to deference because there is evidence to supportthem; she did not make any palpable and overriding error. The contingencies make the reasonable expectation of pecuniary benefit lookvanishingly remote. The essence of the decision is without error. E.
Penultimate paragraph in error [18] Unfortunately, in the penultimate paragraph of her decision, the trial judge misstated the lawwith respect to the burden of proof: I find in the absence of any evidence to the contrary that on a standard of review of simple probability, there has been no dependency,hence no loss, established by the plaintiffs under the Fatal Accidents Act. [para. 38] [19] There is no standard of review of simple probability known to law. There is a standard of proofof simple probability.
Future events need not be proven on a balance of probabilities, the simple probability standard applies: Athey v.Leonati, (CSC), [1996] 3 S.C.R. 458, [1996] S.C.J. No. 102 (QL). That is what the trial judge did here, she assessedwhether the future possibility was a speculative one or a substantial one. [20] Furthermore, in finding no dependency the trial judge deviated from the true question of whether there wasa reasonable and well-founded expectation of pecuniary benefit. This error would allow appellate intervention but for the factual findingsthe trial judge made.
For the reasons expressed above, we conclude the trial judge came to the right conclusion and the penultimateparagraph, though tainted with error, should not serve to vitiate an otherwise sound decision. III. Disposition [21] For these reasons we dismiss the appeal with one set of costs payable by the appellants to therespondent in the amount of $2,500. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR I. Introduction
[1] L’exécuteur de la succession de Caroline Higgins, Donald J. Higgins, et ses frère et sœurs soutiennent qu’ils ont essuyé une perte en n’héritant pas de la succession de leur sœur, laquelle perte est indemnisable en vertu de la Loi sur les accidents mortels , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. F-7. La juge du procès a conclu que ce n’était pas le cas au motif que, selon le critère juridique applicable, ils n’avaient pas une attente raisonnable de tirer un avantage de la succession de leur sœur. [2] Lorsque la présente action a été intentée, elle comportait non seulement la demande que l’exécuteur avait formée en vertu de la
Loi sur les accidents mortels , mais également la demande de la succession fondée sur la
Loi sur la survie des actions en justice , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. S-18, laquelle succession cherchait à recouvrer de l’intimé, M. Arseneau, la perte de revenu ultérieure au décès de M me Higgins. Notre Cour a déterminé que la succession n’était pas en droit de recouvrer des dommages- intérêts au
titre de la perte de revenu ultérieure au décès en vertu de la seconde loi : La succession de Caroline J. Higgins c. Arseneau , 2014 NBCA 65 , 425 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 109 , motifs du juge en chef Drapeau. La demande fondée sur la
Loi sur les accidents mortels est la seule qui reste à trancher. [3] Caroline Higgins était âgée de 46 ans lorsqu’elle a été tuée par Donald Arseneau qui conduisait alors sa moto sur le trottoir et l’a heurtée pendant qu’elle faisait du jogging. Au moment de son décès, M me Higgins exerçait le droit; elle n’était pas mariée et n’avait pas d’enfants.
M me Higgins laissait la totalité du reliquat de sa succession en fiducie au profit de sa nièce, Daria Radzievskii, qui est handicapée. [4] Le testament habilitait l’exécuteur testamentaire à utiliser la part du revenu ou du capital provenant de la fiducie que ce dernier, à son entière discrétion, estimerait appropriée au besoin. Le testament prévoyait également que si Daria Radzievskii décédait avant la distribution ou l’épuisement du capital et de tout revenu fiduciaire capitalisé, la fiducie devait être résiliée.
Tout solde éventuel du capital et des intérêts capitalisés devait alors être transféré à son frère et à ses sœurs nommément désignés, ou aux survivants d’entre eux, en parts égales. [5] Tant en première instance qu’en appel, les appelants ont plaidé l’affaire comme s’il s’agissait d’une question de dévolution. Ils ont fait valoir que les intérêts que le testament conférait au frère et aux sœurs leur avaient été dévolus au décès de Caroline Higgins.
Par conséquent, ils avaient une attente raisonnable qu’eux-mêmes, leur succession ou leurs bénéficiaires nommément désignés hériteraient d’une part de la succession au décès de Daria Radzievskii. [6] L’intimé a soutenu que la question de la dévolution n’est pas pertinente et qu’il s’agit purement et simplement de déterminer si le frère et les sœurs avaient une attente raisonnable de tirer un avantage de la succession de la défunte. Pour les motifs qui suivent, nous convenons avec l’intimé que cette question est bien celle qu’il faut trancher.
De la même façon, nous souscrivons à la décision de la juge du procès de répondre à cette question par la négative et de rejeter l’action. II. Analyse A. Clauses pertinentes du testament [7] Dans son testament, la testatrice a constitué cette fiducie purement discrétionnaire, dite fiducie [TRADUCTION] « de type Henson », et créé une fiducie de prestations à vie en faveur de sa nièce. Si la nièce décède et qu’il reste de l’argent, le frère et les sœurs hériteront le reliquat.
Voici les clauses du testament que la testatrice a imposées à la fiducie : [TRADUCTION] ▪ Cette part de ma succession et le revenu qui en provient ne seront pas dévolus à ma nièce et son seul intérêt sera dans les paiements effectivement faits en sa faveur ou pour son compte. ▪ […] je veux que la fiducie maximise l’admissibilité de ma nièce aux prestations prévues par la Loi de 1997 sur le Programme ontarien de soutien aux personnes handicapées et son règlement ou par d’autres organismes gouvernementaux ou publics de l’Ontario ou du reste du Canada. ▪ […] si la capitalisation de revenu par mon fiduciaire devenait illégale, le revenu qui n’est pas payé à ma nièce au cours d’une année
quelconque ou utilisé pour son compte sera payé en parts égales à ceux d’entre mon frère et mes sœurs qui seront survivants à cemoment. [8] Pour récapituler, l’exécuteur jouit d’une entière discrétion pour utiliser au profit de sa nièce lapart qu’il estime appropriée du revenu et du capital de la fiducie. Advenant que la nièce décède avant la distribution ou l’épuisement ducapital et de tout revenu fiduciaire, la fiducie doit être résiliée et le solde éventuel doit être transféré au frère et aux sœurs survivants. B.
Dévolution [9] En un mot, les appelants font valoir qu’il y a eu dévolution des intérêts que le testamentconférait au frère et aux sœurs au moment du décès de Caroline Higgins.
Il en découle que les successions et les bénéficiaires du frère etde chacune des sœurs devaient recevoir l’héritage de ces derniers si le frère ou une des sœurs était décédé avant Daria Radzievskii, et ce,en dépit du fait que la fiducie prévoyait qu’au décès de Daria Radzievskii, la succession serait partagée entre le frère et les sœurs deCaroline Higgins qui seraient alors vivants. [10] La juge du procès n’a pas accepté l’argument des appelants au sujet de la dévolution – et nousnon plus.
Nous souscrivons plutôt à la thèse de l’intimé selon laquelle la question de la dévolution détourne l’attention de la questionvéritable de savoir si les bénéficiaires de la catégorie visée dans la
Loi sur les accidents mortels (en l’espèce le frère et les sœurs) avaientune quelconque attente raisonnable de tirer un avantage pécuniaire durant leur vie que le décès prématuré de Caroline Higgins a rendueinexécutable. [11] La juge du procès a conclu, à bon droit selon nous, qu’il n’était pas essentiel à la décision desavoir si la succession était dévolue mais qu’il importait plutôt de savoir s’il existait quelque élément de preuve de l’existence d’uneattente raisonnable de tirer un avantage de la succession de Caroline Higgins.
La juge du procès n’a donc commis aucune erreur enrefusant de répondre à la question de la dévolution. C. Attente raisonnable de tirer un avantage [12] La demande formée en vertu de la
Loi sur les accidents mortels, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch.
F-7, loi envigueur au moment de l’accident, est fondée sur les deux paragraphes suivants : 3(1) Every action under this Act shall be forthe benefit of the spouse, parent, child,brother and sister, or any of them, of thedeceased, and except as hereinafter provided,shall be brought by and in the name of theexecutor or administrator. 3(2) Subject to subsection (3), in every suchaction such damages as are proportional tothe pecuniary loss resulting from the deathshall be awarded to the persons respectivelyfor whose benefit the action is brought. 3(1) Toute action intentée en vertu de laprésente loi doit l’être en faveur d’unconjoint, d’un parent, d’un enfant, d’un frèreet d’une sœur de la victime, ou d’un de ceux-ci, et, sauf disposition contraire de la présenteloi, elle est intentée par l’exécuteurtestamentaire ou l’administrateur en sonpropre nom. 3(2)
Sous réserve du paragraphe (3), danstoute action de ce genre, les dommages-intérêts proportionnels à la perte pécuniairerésultant du décès doivent être attribuésrespectivement aux personnes en faveur dequi l’action est intentée. [13] Malheureusement, les avocats représentant les parties n’ont pu invoquer aucune jurisprudencetraitant d’une situation de fait analogue visée au par. 3(1) dans laquelle un frère et des sœurs ont réclamé des dommages-intérêts. Lajurisprudence fait état d’actions intentées au profit du conjoint ou des enfants du défunt.
Elle ne donne aucune directive générale sur lafaçon d’interpréter ces dispositions. L’expression perte pécuniaire n’est pas définie dans la Loi mais notre Cour l’a interprétée commesignifiant [TRADUCTION] « ce [que le bénéficiaire] pouvait raisonnablement espérer recevoir en avantages pécuniaires si le défunt avait vécu » : Harris Estate c. Roy’s Midway Transport Ltd. (1989), (NB CA), 97 R.N.-B. (2e) 251, [1989] A.N.-B.
no 501 (QL), motifs du juge en chef Stratton. La perte d’un héritage est reconnue comme chef de dommage recouvrable dans lesaccidents mortels : Proctor et al. c. Dyck et al., (SCC), [1953] 1 R.C.S. 244. Étant donné que les réponses aux questionshypothétiques inhérentes à la perte d’un héritage sont avant tout basées sur des suppositions, de telles demandes sont relativement rares : Ken Cooper-Stephenson et Elizabeth Adjin-Tettey, Personal Injury Damages in Canada, 3e éd., Carswell, p. 980. D.
Conclusions de la juge du procès [14] La juge du procès a correctement énoncé la question préliminaire à laquelle il fallait répondredans la présente instance : Le frère et les sœurs avaient-ils une attente raisonnable de tirer un avantage de la succession de la défunte? :Miller Estate c. Brownes, 1986 CarswellOnt 963, par. 26-27, conf. par 1988 CarswellOnt 599 (C.A.
Ont.). [15] La juge du procès a aussi correctement identifié les dispositions pertinentes de la Loi quirégissent la demande; elle a énoncé le critère juridique et a conclu que le frère et les sœurs n’avaient aucune attente raisonnable et bienfondée de tirer un avantage pécuniaire. La juge du procès a entendu le témoignage de la mère de Daria Radzievskii au sujet desdifférentes prestations que le gouvernement de l’Ontario versait à sa fille. On pourrait présumer que la somme en fiducie ne soit jamaisutilisée au profit de Daria Radzievskii.
Cependant, cette preuve n’a en rien renforcé l’argument de l’attente raisonnable. La juge duprocès a fondé sa décision sur les éventualités suivantes : Le frère ou l’une des sœurs aurait survécu à Caroline Higgins et à Daria Radzievskii. La plus jeune du groupe, Siobhan Higgins, a32 ans de plus que Daria Radzievskii. Bien que handicapée, Daria Radzievskii a une espérance de vie normale. (Le rapportactuariel non contesté montrait que Daria Radzievskii devrait vivre pendant plus de 30 ans de plus que la plus jeune sœur.) La fiducie ne sera pas épuisée par suite des paiements faits au profit de Daria Radzievskii.
Caroline Higgins n’aurait jamais modifié son testament pour en supprimer son frère et ses sœurs comme bénéficiaires. Caroline Higgins ne se serait jamais mariée (ce qui aurait entraîné la révocation de son testament). Avant que le frère et les sœurs (ou l’un quelconque d’entre eux) puissent demander quelque montant que ce soit pour la perte d’unhéritage, il faudrait que toutes les éventualités ci-dessus s’avèrent. [16] Sur le fondement de ces éventualités, la juge du procès a conclu que les demandeurs n’avaientprésenté aucune preuve quant à l’existence d’une attente raisonnable d’avantage pécuniaire.
Elle est arrivée à la conclusion que la perteéventuelle était hypothétique et que l’exigence minimale n’avait pas été remplie; elle a donc rejeté l’action. [17] Les conclusions de fait de la juge du procès commandent la déférence étant donné qu’elles sontétayées par des éléments de preuve; elle n’a commis aucune erreur manifeste et dominante. Les éventualités rendent l’attente raisonnabled’avantage pécuniaire infiniment lointaine. L’essence de la décision n’est entachée d’aucune erreur. E.
Erreur à l’avant-dernier paragraphe [18] Malheureusement, à l’avant-dernier paragraphe de sa décision, la juge du procès a mal énoncéla règle de droit qui régit le fardeau de la preuve : [TRADUCTION]Je conclus, en l’absence de preuve du contraire, que, selon la norme de contrôle de la simple probabilité, les demandeurs n’ont établiaucune dépendance, et donc aucune perte, comme l’exige la
Loi sur les accidents mortels. [19] Il n’existe en droit aucune norme de contrôle dite de simple probabilité. Il existe par contre une
norme de preuve de simple probabilité. Il n’est pas nécessaire de prouver des événements futurs selon la prépondérance des probabilités;c’est la norme de la simple probabilité qui s’applique : Athey c. Leonati, (CSC), [1996] 3 R.C.S. 458, [1996] A.C.S. no 102 (QL). C’est ce qu’a fait en l’espèce la juge du procès en déterminant si la possibilité future était hypothétique ou réelle. [20] De plus, en concluant à l’absence d’une dépendance, la juge du procès a dévié de la véritablequestion en litige qui consistait à déterminer s’il existait une attente raisonnable et bien fondée de tirer un avantage pécuniaire.
Cetteerreur justifierait une intervention en appel si ce n’était des conclusions de fait que la juge du procès a tirées. Pour les motifs exprimésplus haut, nous sommes d’avis que la juge du procès a tiré la bonne conclusion et que l’avant-dernier paragraphe de sa décision, bienqu’entaché d’une erreur, ne devrait pas être invoqué pour vicier une décision par ailleurs judicieuse. III. Dispositif [21] Nous rejetons l’appel pour ces motifs et condamnons les appelants à verser à l’intimé, en uneseule masse, des dépens qui sont fixés à 2 500 $.