2016 NBCA 2, 2016 NBCA 2
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 50-15-CA ALLEN STEWART MOWRY APPELLANT ALLEN STEWART MOWRY APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE, INTIMÉE Mowry v. R., 2016 NBCA 2 Mowry c.
R., 2016 NBCA 2 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: May 20, 2015 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 20 mai 2015 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2015 NBQB 103 Décision frappée d’appel : 2015 NBQB 103 , 2015 NBBR 103 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Court of Appeal: [2015] N.B.J.
No. 161 Court of Queen’s Bench: 2015 NBQB 104 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Cour d’appel : [2015] A.N.-B. no 161 Cour du Banc de la Reine : 2015 NBQB 104 , 2015 NBBR 104 Appeal heard: October 20, 2015 Appel entendu : le 20 octobre 2015
Judgment rendered: January 14, 2016 Jugement rendu : le 14 janvier 2016 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Larlee Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Larlee Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: George E. Kalinowski For the respondent: Kathryn Gregory Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : George E. Kalinowski Pour l’intimée : Kathryn Gregory THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. LA COUR Déboute l’appelant.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by LARLEE, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] On April 13, 2015, Allen Stewart Mowry was convicted of four counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking ( s. 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act , S.C. 1996, c. 19, ( CDSA )) and acquitted of one count of possession of property obtained by crime ( s. 355 (
a) of the Criminal Code , R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46). The convictions hinged on the trial judge’s findings that the circumstantial evidence revealed constructive possession of various controlled substances and that the possession was for the purpose of trafficking. The trial judge’s decision is reported as R. v. Mowry , 2015 NBQB 103 , 435 N.B.R. (2d) 328 . Mr. Mowry appeals the convictions. He claims the verdict was unreasonable because the evidence was insufficient to establish either constructive possession or possession for the purpose of trafficking. II. Background
[ 2 ] On September 30, 2014, fifteen police officers (and one dog) assigned to the Capital Region Integrated Intelligence Unit (Fredericton) executed a search warrant at 508 Penniac Road in Mount Hope, New Brunswick, a secluded wooded property largely isolated from its neighbours. During the execution of the search warrant, illegal drugs/controlled substances were found outside the house. The substances were later confirmed to be the following: hydromorphone pills, cocaine mixed with benzocaine, oxycodone pills, percocet pills and cannabis (marihuana).
All the controlled substances were located outdoors within approximately a 100-meter to 150-meter radius of the house, in a thinned-out or cleared area which is surrounded by a densely wooded area.
Inside the residence, the police officers found the following: (1) concealed bundles of cash amounting to $4,000 inside a bathroom vanity, comprised of three bundles of $20-bills each totalling $1,000 and one bundle of $50-bills also totalling $1,000; (2) digital scales found on a bathroom vanity; (3) four cellphones located under a couch pillow (none of which functioned); (4) approximately ten unidentified coloured pills hidden in various locales; and (5) numerous prescription pills, including some in bottles prescribed to “Heather Warren” or “Heather Arbeau”. [ 3 ] As Mr.
Mowry was believed to be the sole occupant of the home, he was charged with possession of the controlled substances for the purpose of trafficking and possession of property obtained by crime. The trial judge found Mr. Mowry was in constructive possession of the substances and that these were possessed for the purpose of trafficking and, therefore, convicted him of the CDSA offences. The judge harboured a reasonable doubt on the count under the Code and, as a result, acquitted Mr.
Mowry of that charge. [ 4 ] In coming to the conclusion the Crown had demonstrated beyond a reasonable doubt that the appellant had constructive possession of the controlled substances at issue, the trial judge relied on Smith v. R. , 2012 NBCA 99 , 396 N.B.R. (2d) 367 .
In that case, Drapeau C.J.N.B. confirmed two propositions: (1) constructive possession hinges on proof of the elements of control and knowledge on the part of the accused; and (2) proof of the elements of control and knowledge can be ascertained wholly with circumstantial evidence. [ 5 ] With respect to the cumulative effect of the totality of the circumstances, the trial judge concluded the appellant had control and knowledge of the impugned substances based on the following evidence: Mr.
Mowry was the exclusive resident of the property; and, the location and manner in which the controlled substances were uncovered were significant. Specifically, all concealed or buried drugs were located within the periphery or what the trial judge called the “zone of occupation” and were all readily accessible to the occupant. [ 6 ] The trial judge further found that Mr. Mowry possessed the controlled substances for the purpose of trafficking.
He drew this inference based on the following evidence: (1) the digital scales were found in plain view on the vanity, behind which the bundles of cash were concealed; (2) the pills were stored separately according to their kind and prescription strength; (3) a large quantity of pills was discovered; and (4) the cocaine that was uncovered was determined to have been cut with benzocaine. [ 7 ] Mr. Mowry appeals the convictions and seeks an acquittal based on the standard set in s. 686(1)( a )(
i) of the Code that the verdict is “unreasonable or cannot be supported by the evidence”. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 8 ] Mr. Mowry relies on two grounds of appeal.
He alleges the trial judge erred: 1. in his factual and legal conclusion that the sole rational conclusion capable of being drawn from the totality of the circumstances is that the appellant was in constructive possession of the illegal substances pursuant to s. 5(2) of the CDSA ; 2. in concluding that the sole rational conclusion capable of being drawn from the totality of the circumstances is that the appellant possessed the controlled substances for the purpose of trafficking pursuant to s. 5(2) of the CDSA . IV.
Analysis and Decision [ 9 ] The parties agreed that the questions to be determined at trial were whether the appellant was in constructive
possession of the controlled substances; and, if so, whether the only rational conclusion from all the evidence was that those substanceswere possessed for the purpose of trafficking. [10] In Smith v. R., Drapeau C.J.N.B. explained the role of the Court of Appeal in analyzing whether an appealagainst conviction may be allowed under s. 686(1)(a)(
i) of the Code on the basis the verdict is “unreasonable or cannot be supported bythe evidence”: […] As is well known, that conclusion is unwarranted if the trier of fact, acting judicially, could reasonably have rendered the verdict inquestion (see Mowry v. R., 2006 NBCA 18, 297 N.B.R. (2d) 16, at para. 1). Of necessity, the application of that test requires the court ofappeal to re-examine and to some extent reweigh and consider the effect of the evidence produced at trial (see R. v. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 S.C.R. 168, [1987] S.C.J. No. 51 (QL)).
Nonetheless, as Bell J.A., writing for the Court, underscored in Hubbard v.R., 2009 NBCA 28, 360 N.B.R. (2d) 1, at para. 11, “the function of this court is not to substitute itself” for the trier of fact and indischarging its responsibilities pursuant to s. 686(1)(a)(i), the Court must be “mindful of the advantageous position of the trial judge inassessing the credibility of the witnesses, including the accused” (see R. v. A.G., 2000 SCC 17, [2000] 1 S.C.R. 439).
The key question istherefore whether, on the evidence, it was reasonably open to the trial judge to find the appellant was in constructive possession of thecontrolled substances seized at Ms. Wilson’s apartment. [para. 10] [11] Section 2(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act imports the definition of “possession” set out in s.4(3) of the Code, which reads as follows: (
a) a person has anything in possession whenhe has it in his personal possession or knowingly (
i) has it in the actual possession or custody of another person, or (ii) has it in any place, whether or not that place belongs to or is occupied by him, for the use or benefit of himself or of another person; and (
b) where one of two or more persons, withthe knowledge and consent of the rest, hasanything in his custody or possession, it shallbe deemed to be in the custody andpossession of each and all of them.
a) une personne est en possession d’une chose lorsqu’elle l’a en sa possessionpersonnelle ou que, sciemment : (
i) ou bien elle l’a en la possession ou garderéelle d’une autre personne, (ii) ou bien elle l’a en un lieu qui luiappartient ou non ou qu’elle occupe ou non,pour son propre usage ou avantage ou celuid’une autre personne;
b) lorsqu’une de deux ou plusieurs personnes,au su et avec le consentement de l’autre ou des autres, a une chose en sa gardeou possession, cette chose est censée en lagarde et possession de toutes ces personnes etde chacune d’elles. [12] In R. v.
Morelli, 2010 SCC 8, [2010] 1 S.C.R. 253, the Supreme Court explained that: Constructive possession is established where the accused did not have physical custody of the object in question, but did have it “in theactual possession or custody of another person” or “in any place, whether or not that place belongs to or is occupied by him, for the useor benefit of himself or of another person.” (Criminal Code, s. 4(3)(a)).
Constructive possession is thus complete where the accused: (1)has knowledge of the character of the object, (2) knowingly puts or keeps the object in a particular place, whether or not that placebelongs to him, and (3) intends to have the object in the particular place for his “use or benefit” or that of another person. [para. 17] [13] In Smith v. R., this Court considered R. v. Wu, 2010 BCCA 589, [2010] B.C.J. No. 2585 (QL), which hadaddressed the issue of control. In Wu, Frankel J.A. for the British Columbia Court of Appeal stated that:
[…] What the Crown must prove is that an accused had the ability to exercise some power (i.e., some measure of control) over the item in issue. It is not necessary for the Crown to prove that such power was in fact exercised. […] [para. 20] In Smith v. R . , Drapeau C.J.N.B. cites Drug Offences in Canada , 3d ed. looseleaf (Aurora, Ont.: Canada Law Book Inc., 2012), in which the authors, Bruce A. MacFarlane, Robert J.
Frater & Chantal Proulx, explain, at paras. 4.1280-4.1296 : […] a rebuttable presumption of possession because of tenancy or occupancy does not exist at common law or under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act , and a decision by a trial judge to analyze the evidence on a presumption basis constitutes a reversible error […] Whether and to what extent any particular accused can be tied to drugs found in residential premises will depend on a range of factors, including: whether the accused lived there […] [para. 16] [ 14 ] The difference between the Smith case and the case at bar is that, in the former case, the drugs were found inside a dwelling house, while in this case they were found outside. [ 15 ] Mr.
Mowry relies on R. v. MacLeod (J.M.) et al. , 2013 MBCA 48 , [2013] M.J. No. 188 (QL) , as this was a case where the conviction of two occupants was overturned regarding possession of an item found outside their home. That case, however, is significantly different from the present one. [ 16 ] In MacLeod, two accused were convicted of possession of a restricted weapon. Police searched their residence and found a loaded, semi-automatic handgun buried in the snow in a dog run in the backyard. A large Rottweiler occupied the dog run when police came to the premises.
The dog appeared aggressive and had to be removed from the run before it could be searched. The trial judge convicted the two accused, finding they had joint possession of the gun. She found that both had knowledge of the gun’s presence based on its location, the manner in which it was wrapped and the difficulty accessing it. She determined the only inference to be drawn, absent any other evidence, was that one or more occupants of the residence would have the ability to control the dog and therefore have access to the dog run where the gun was buried. Whoever controlled the dog controlled access to the gun.
She also found that there were no inferences consistent with innocence capable of being drawn from the evidence. On appeal the convictions were quashed and acquittals were substituted. The Court of Appeal decided the inference that one of the accused had possession of the gun, because that person could control the dog and get access to the dog run, did not lead to the inference that they both possessed it because there was an equally rational inference that only one of them possessed it. There was no evidence linking one particular accused to the dog, the dog run or the gun.
Evidence of joint possession of the residence was not sufficient to infer that each accused had control of the dog, the dog run, and ultimately, possession of the gun. [ 17 ] While Cameron J.A. pointed out that an item in plain view in a residence is sufficient to infer knowledge, she went on to state: The application of the law involving constructive and/or joint possession is heavily dependent on the facts of each case. A review of the jurisprudence shows that, in cases of non-exclusive occupation, there must be some evidence from which knowledge can be inferred on the part of each accused.
Furthermore, mere occupancy is not necessarily sufficient to infer knowledge. [para. 33] [ 18 ] In the present case, after citing the passage from Smith in which our Court referred to Morelli , the trial judge acknowledged that whether the elements of knowledge and control have been established is a question of fact to be determined on the cumulative effect of the “constellation of circumstances” established by the evidence ( Smith , para. 16 ). He then made the following findings of fact:
(1) Mr. Mowry resided at the property, and the police generally knew it;
(2) Mr. Mowry’s wallet containing his driver’s license, showing the Penniac address, was found in a nightstand in the master bedroom; and (3) mail addressed to Mr. Mowry at the Penniac address was found in the house. Therefore, the evidence demonstrated that Mr. Mowry resided at that address. [ 19 ] The trial judge also found that Mr. Mowry was the sole occupant of the property. There was evidence to support this finding. Although Mr. Mowry’s son was mentioned, he was not named and no evidence was led about him.
Prescription medication for “Heather Warren Arbeau” was discovered in the house, but the bottles were labelled with a different address from Penniac. Furthermore, there was a document showing a different address for Ms. Arbeau on correspondence from the Department of Social Services. The photographic evidence makes it difficult to discern who might have actually lived in the house because it was so unkempt. There was no other evidence that any other person resided at or otherwise had any control over the property. Therefore, the
trial judge’s finding is reasonable on this issue. [ 20 ] The trial judge found that the property was a large parcel of land, with approximately 100 to 150 meters surrounding the house thinned out and delineated from the heavily wooded area. All the controlled substances were located within this thinned out area (which the trial judge referred to as a “zone of occupation”) making them readily accessible to the occupant. To the trial judge, this was strong evidence of control. Although most of the drugs were not in plain sight, the location and manner in which the drugs were placed was of significance to him.
They were discovered concealed but readily accessible, all hidden in or near landmarks which could be readily identified by somebody familiar with the property: in a fire pit, in dead trees and in piles of brush. They could be recovered quickly by someone with knowledge of their location and that factor, the manner in which the drugs were deliberately concealed, in the trial judge’s analysis, weighed in favour of constructive possession. He concluded that there was a constellation of circumstances that satisfied him beyond reasonable doubt that Mr.
Mowry was in constructive possession of the controlled substances described in the impugned counts. [ 21 ] In R. v. Dipnarine , 2014 ABCA 328 , [2014] A.J. No. 1102 (QL) , the Court explained that a possible inference can be inconsistent with other plausible conclusions. However, to be properly founded on the evidence, an inference cannot be an irrational one. The Court expanded: Circumstantial evidence does not have to totally exclude other conceivable inferences.
If the trier of fact infers guilt because the alternatives do not raise a doubt in his or her mind, the verdict is not thereby rendered unreasonable, ipso jure .
It is still fundamentally for the trier to fact to decide if any proposed alternative way of looking at the case is reasonable enough to raise a doubt in the mind[s] of that trier. [para. 22] The question then is whether the inferences drawn by the trial judge are reasonable, and if these inferences raise a reasonable doubt given the totality of the evidence. [ 22 ] The specific question to be answered is whether the trial judge made a reasonable inference from the circumstantial evidence regarding control of the illegal drugs found outside the residence.
The record demonstrates that, although no direct evidence revealed Mr. Mowry had direct control over the illegal drugs, the fact that they were found within the so-called “zone of occupation” underscored his close proximity to the drugs. The first drugs found by police were in plain sight in a fire pit, the others were located after some digging or wiping away of leaves; these included the drugs to which the dog led the handler. As for the drugs discovered under piles of brush, these had to be extricated by using a machine that was located nearby on the property.
The nature of the hiding places and the manner in which the drugs were hidden, in moisture-proof containers, is not consistent with a third party trespassing upon the property and hiding drugs from the occupant of the house or authorities. Rather, these facts lead to a reasonable inference that Mr. Mowry was in a position to exercise some measure of control over those drugs provided he had the requisite knowledge. [ 23 ] The evidence of constructive possession upon which the trial judge relied is that Mr.
Mowry occupied the property, the drugs were readily accessible to him as the occupier of the house and they were deliberately hidden. Mr. Mowry argues: (1) there were no fingerprints found; (2) no controlled drugs were discovered inside the house; (3) no packaging, cutting agent or score sheets were located in the house; (4) there was no surveillance evidence; and (5) the four cellphones which were found did not work. Essentially he argues there is no link between the occupant of the residence and the illegal drugs found outside.
The Crown submits the digital scales and large amounts of cash found in the same bathroom inside the residence are a link. As well, the discovery of the readily accessible controlled substances found within the thinned-out “zone of occupation” on the property outweighs Mr. Mowry’s arguments and links the appellant to the controlled substances. [ 24 ] I am of the view that although no explicit evidence on the record indicates that Mr. Mowry had the requisite knowledge of the controlled substances, it is reasonable and rational to conclude, from the circumstantial evidence, that he did have the requisite knowledge.
The trial judge made the following findings in his decision: located on the property were several vehicles, a skid bucket tractor, a forklift and several outbuildings; in one of the outbuildings several chainsaws were located; and, scattered around the property were several piles of brush. He also described that a military style ammo can containing 119.39 grams of marihuana shake was discovered in a large brush pile.
The trial judge did not go on to specifically explain that the police had to use a piece of heavy machinery (described as a Bobcat tractor with a bucket) found on the property to extricate the drugs hidden in the military style ammo can, under a 10-foot high pile of brush, found at the end of the driveway of the residence, but this was the uncontradicted evidence. If heavy machinery had to be used to move the pile of brush, it is a reasonable inference to draw that the person who hid the drugs was also required to use the machinery. Assuming Mr.
Mowry is the owner of the machinery (as the occupier of the house), it is also easy to draw the inference he would have knowledge of the manner in which the machinery is being used (considering its obvious presence and the noise it can produce), coupled with the fact that the brush pile was itself quite large. These factors weigh in favour of a finding that Mr. Mowry would know that heavy machinery was used to move the brush pile and that it was used for the purpose of concealing drugs. This demonstrates there was evidence on the record that the trial judge could have relied on to support his inference of Mr.
Mowry’s knowledge of the drugs. The link has been made between the occupant of the residence and the illegal drugs found outside.
[25] From another angle, it is irrational to think that some unknown person, wishing to hide illegal drugs, wouldhide these on somebody else’s property in locations that were inherently susceptible to their discovery by the property owner. The drugswere hidden in areas where they could have been easily found by the property’s occupant or, in the case of the marihuana, in a spotwhere the very fact of their concealment would have been noted. After all, a huge pile of brush does not just magically materialize.
Theproperty owner would investigate the use of his machinery and the accumulation of brush on his property and would then likely discoverthe drug stash. [26] I am, therefore, of the opinion the trial judge’s inference that Mr. Mowry had the requisite knowledge isreasonable. It is an inference which can be supported on the evidence and one that supports a finding of constructive possession on thepart of Mr. Mowry. [27] The trial judge went on to examine the second question: whether Mr. Mowry’s possession of the controlledsubstances was for the purpose of trafficking.
He referred to Drug Offences in Canada at paragraph 6.140, where it states: On the issue of intent, the Court must look at the totality of the evidence, and then draw an inference as to whether the accused hadpossession of the drugs for the purpose of trafficking. Each case should be decided on its own facts. The court may, in determining theissue of intent, draw inferences from the quantity of substance found, as well as other relevant indicia: see R. v. Oakes (ON CA), 1983, 2 C.C.C. (3d) 339 (Ont.
C.A.) at p. 363, affd (SCC), 24 C.C.C. (3d) 321 (S.C.C.) […]. [28] The trial judge considered factors such as the quantity of drugs, and how they were grouped and packaged. Inthis case, the trial judge found that the drugs were concealed in the “zone of occupation” and readily accessible to Mr. Mowry. Asmentioned earlier, a set of functioning digital scales and a counterweight were located in the residence.
Money was found concealed inthe framing of the vanity in the bathroom: $4,000 in cash was found in denominations of $20 and $50 bills grouped into $1,000 bundles.The pills that were uncovered were grouped and stored according to their type and milligram strength in separate jars. This evidence wassufficient to indicate an intention to traffic. Furthermore, the trial judge determined that, although no value was attributed to the drugs,value is only one indicia of intent to traffic. Quantity is another significant factor.
The evidence revealed there was a total of 100oxycodone pills, 65 of which were a dosage of 80 mg each; 50 percocet pills; 6 hydromorphone pills; 45.96 g of marihuana and 2.5 g ofcocaine. This led to a reasonable inference that the quantity was consistent with the intention to traffic and inconsistent with personal use.The trial judge also noted parenthetically that the diluting or cutting agent benzocaine was mixed in with the uncovered cocaine; anotherindicia of possession for the purpose of trafficking. In the end, considering all the evidence, the trial judge was satisfied beyond areasonable doubt that Mr.
Mowry possessed the controlled substances for the purpose of trafficking in them. [29] After careful consideration of the record, these conclusions reflect a proper understanding of the law, andapplication of that law to findings of fact that the trial judge could reasonably make. V. Conclusion and Disposition [30] In conclusion, I am satisfied that the case for verdict unreasonableness has not been made out and this Court isnot at liberty to intervene under the authority of s. 686(1)(a)(
i) of the Code. [31] For the reasons outlined above, I would dismiss the appeal. ____________________________________ M.E.L. LARLEE, J.A. WE CONCUR:
____________________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A. _____________________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LARLEE I. Introduction [1] Le 13 avril 2015, Allen Stewart Mowry a été déclaré coupable de possession en vue du trafic (quatre chefsd’accusation, par. 5(2) de la Loi réglementant certaines drogues et autres substances, L.C. 1996, ch. 19) et acquitté de possession debiens criminellement obtenus (un chef, al. 355a) du Code criminel, L.R.C. (1985), ch. C-46).
Les déclarations de culpabilité reposaientsur la conclusion du juge du procès que la preuve circonstancielle montrait qu’il y avait possession imputée de diverses substancesdésignées et que cette possession avait été exercée en vue du trafic. La décision du juge du procès est publiée : R. c. Mowry, 2015 NBQB 103 , 2015 NBBR 103, 435 R.N.-B. (2e) 328. M. Mowry appelle des déclarations de culpabilité. Il soutient que le verdict étaitdéraisonnable, parce que la preuve ne suffisait pas pour établir ni la possession imputée ni la possession en vue du trafic. II.
Contexte [2] Le 30 septembre 2014, quinze policiers (assistés d’un chien) du Groupe intégré de renseignements de larégion de la capitale (Fredericton) ont exécuté un mandat de perquisition au 508, chemin Penniac, à Mount Hope (Nouveau-Brunswick),propriété boisée, retirée, isolée en grande
partie des propriétés voisines. La perquisition a conduit à la découverte de drogues illégales etde substances désignées à l’extérieur de la maison. Il a ensuite été établi qu’il s’agissait de cannabis (marihuana), de cocaïne mêlée debenzocaïne, de comprimés d’hydromorphone, d’oxycodone et de Percocet. Toutes les substances désignées se trouvaient dehors, dans unrayon de 100 à 150 mètres de la maison, secteur éclairci ou dégagé entouré d’un bois touffu.
À l’intérieur du domicile, les policiers onttrouvé : (1) 4 000 $ en espèces, cachés dans un meuble-lavabo (trois liasses de 1 000 $ formées de billets de 20 $ et une liasse de 1 000 $formée de billets de 50 $); (2) une balance numérique posée sur un meuble-lavabo; (3) quatre téléphones cellulaires glissés sous lecoussin d’un canapé (dont aucun ne fonctionnait); (4) une dizaine de comprimés de couleur non identifiés, cachés en divers endroits;(5) de nombreux médicaments d’ordonnance, dont certains, comme l’indiquait le pilulier, étaient prescrits à Heather Warren ou àHeather Arbeau. [3] Tenu pour unique occupant de la maison, M.
Mowry a été accusé de possession des substances désignées envue d’en faire le trafic et de possession de biens criminellement obtenus. Le juge du procès a conclu à la possession imputée dessubstances et à leur possession en vue du trafic; en conséquence, il a déclaré M. Mowry coupable des infractions à la Loi réglementantcertaines drogues et autres substances. M.
Mowry a cependant été acquitté de la possession dont il était accusé sous le régime du Codecriminel, parce que le juge gardait un doute raisonnable relativement à ce chef. [4] Pour conclure que le ministère public avait démontré hors de tout doute raisonnable la possession imputée des substances désignées, le juge du procès s’est reporté à Smith c. R., 2012 NBCA 99, 396 R.N.-B. (2e) 367.
Le juge Drapeau, juge en chefdu Nouveau-Brunswick, y a réaffirmé deux propositions : (1) la possession imputée exige d’établir qu’il y avait contrôle et connaissancede la part de l’accusé; (2) il est possible de déterminer au seul moyen de preuve circonstancielle que ces éléments, le contrôle et laconnaissance, sont établis. [5] Le juge du procès s’est penché sur l’effet cumulatif de l’ensemble des circonstances. Il a conclu quel’appelant avait le contrôle des substances illicites et en avait connaissance, compte tenu des éléments de preuve suivants : M.
Mowryétait l’unique résidant de la propriété, et les endroits où les substances désignées avaient été découvertes, ainsi que la façon dont ellesl’avaient été, paraissaient révélateurs. Plus précisément, toutes les drogues dissimulées ou enterrées se trouvaient dans le périmètre de ce
que le juge du procès a appelé la [TRADUCTION] « zone d’occupation », et toutes étaient aisément accessibles à l’occupant. [6] Le juge du procès a également conclu que M. Mowry avait en sa possession les substances désignées en vued’en faire le trafic.
Il a inféré ce dessein des éléments de preuve suivants : (1) une balance numérique, bien en vue, avait été trouvée surle meuble-lavabo derrière lequel les liasses de billets étaient dissimulées; (2) les comprimés étaient stockés dans des contenants distincts,en fonction de leur type et de la force du médicament; (3) une grande quantité de comprimés avait été découverte; (4) il était établi quela cocaïne mise au jour était coupée de benzocaïne. [7] M. Mowry appelle des déclarations de culpabilité et demande un acquittement par application du critèreénoncé au ss-al. 686(1)a)(
i) du Code, qui admet le rejet d’un verdict pour le motif qu’il est « déraisonnable ou ne peut pas s’appuyer surla preuve ». III. Moyens d’appel [8] M. Mowry avance deux moyens d’appel.
Il soutient que le juge du procès a fait erreur : 1. lorsqu’il est arrivé à la conclusion de fait et de droit que l’unique conclusion rationnelle qui pouvait être tirée de l’ensembledes circonstances était qu’il y avait possession imputée de substances illégales par l’appelant, en violation du par. 5(2) de la Loiréglementant certaines drogues et autres substances; 2. lorsqu’il a conclu que l’unique conclusion rationnelle qui pouvait être tirée de l’ensemble des circonstances était quel’appelant avait en sa possession les substances désignées en vue d’en faire le trafic, en violation du par. 5(2) de la Loi réglementantcertaines drogues et autres substances.
IV. Analyse et décision [9] Les parties ont convenu que les questions à trancher, au procès, étaient celles de savoir si l’appelant avait lapossession imputée des substances désignées et, le cas échéant, si la seule conclusion rationnelle qui pouvait être tirée de l’ensemble dela preuve était qu’il avait ces substances en sa possession en vue d’en faire le trafic. [10] Dans Smith c. R., le juge en chef Drapeau a expliqué le rôle que joue la Cour d’appel lorsqu’elle doitdéterminer si l’appel interjeté d’une déclaration de culpabilité peut être admis, suivant le ss-al. 686(1)a)(
i) du Code, pour le motif que leverdict est « déraisonnable ou ne peut pas s’appuyer sur la preuve » : […] Il est bien établi que pareille conclusion n’est pas justifiée si le juge des faits, dans l’exercice de sa fonction judiciaire, pouvait raisonnablement prononcer le verdict en question (voir Mowry c. R., 2006 NBCA 18, 297 R.N.-B. (2e) 16, au par. 1). L’application de cecritère implique forcément que la cour d’appel réexamine et, du moins dans une certaine mesure, réévalue l’effet de la preuve produite au procès (voir R. c. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 R.C.S. 168, [1987] A.C.S. no 51 (QL)).
Néanmoins, comme le juge Bell, s’exprimant au nom de la Cour, l’a souligné dans Hubbard c. R., 2009 NBCA 28, 360 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, au par. 11, « [n]otre Cour n’a paspour rôle de se substituer » au juge des faits et, en s’acquittant des obligations qui lui incombent en vertu du s.-al. 686(1)a)(i), elle doit« tenir compte de la position avantageuse qu’occupe le juge du procès aux fins d’apprécier la crédibilité des témoins, y comprisl’accusé » (voir R. c. A.G., 2000 CSC 17, [2000] 1 R.C.S. 439).
Essentiellement, il faut donc se demander si, compte tenu de la preuve, ilétait raisonnablement loisible au juge des faits de conclure que l’appelant avait la possession [imputée] des substances désignées saisies à l’appartement de Mme Wilson. [par. 10] [11] La Loi réglementant certaines drogues et autres substances, par le biais de son par. 2(1), incorpore à sesdispositions la définition de « possession » donnée au par. 4(3) du Code criminel. Ce paragraphe porte que, pour l’application du Code :
(
a) a person has anything in possession when he has it in his personal possession or knowingly (
i) has it in the actual possession or custody of another person, or (ii) has it in any place, whether or not that place belongs to or is occupied by him, for the use or benefit of himself or of another person; and (
b) where one of two or more persons, with the knowledge and consent of the rest, has anything in his custody or possession, it shall be deemed to be in the custody and possession of each and all of them.
a) une personne est en possession d’une chose lorsqu’elle l’a en sa possession personnelle ou que, sciemment : (
i) ou bien elle l’a en la possession ou garde réelle d’une autre personne, (ii) ou bien elle l’a en un lieu qui lui appartient ou non ou qu’elle occupe ou non, pour son propre usage ou avantage ou celui d’une autre personne;
b) lorsqu’une de deux ou plusieurs personnes, au su et avec le consentement de l’autre ou des autres, a une chose en sa garde ou possession, cette chose est censée en la garde et possession de toutes ces personnes et de chacune d’elles. [12] Dans R. c.
Morelli , 2010 CSC 8 , [2010] 1 R.C.S. 253 , la Cour suprême a expliqué ce qui suit : Il y a possession imputée lorsque l’accusé n’a pas la garde physique de l’objet en question, mais qu’il l’a « en la possession ou garde réelle d’une autre personne » ou « en un lieu qui lui appartient ou non ou qu’[il] occupe ou non, pour son propre usage ou avantage ou celui d’une autre personne » ( Code criminel , al. 4(3) a )).
Il y a donc possession imputée quand l’accusé : (1) a connaissance de la nature de l’objet, (2) met ou garde volontairement l’objet dans un lieu donné, que ce lieu lui appartienne ou non, et (3) a l’intention d’avoir l’objet dans ce lieu pour son « propre usage ou avantage » ou celui d’une autre personne. [par. 17] [13] Dans Smith c. R ., notre Cour a examiné R. c. Wu , 2010 BCCA 589 , [2010] B.C.J. No. 2585 (QL) , arrêt où la question du contrôle avait été abordée.
Dans Wu , le juge Frankel, auteur des motifs de la Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique, a écrit : [TRADUCTION] […] Le ministère public doit prouver que l’accusé était capable d’exercer un certain pouvoir (à savoir un certain contrôle) sur l’objet en question. Il n’est pas nécessaire pour le ministère public de prouver que ce pouvoir a dans les faits été exercé[.] [par. 20] Dans Smith c. R . , également, le juge en chef Drapeau a cité l’ouvrage Drug Offences in Canada (3 e éd., feuillets mobiles, Aurora (Ont.), Canada Law Book Inc., 2012). Ses auteurs, Bruce A. MacFarlane, Robert J.
Frater et Chantal Proulx, y expliquent ce qui suit, aux par. 4.1280 et suivants : [TRADUCTION] […] s’agissant de la possession fondée sur la location ou l’occupation, il n’existe pas de présomption réfutable en common law ou en vertu de la Loi réglementant certaines drogues et autres substances .
La décision d’un juge de procès d’analyser la preuve [d’après cette présomption] constitue une erreur justifiant l’infirmation[.] La question de savoir si et dans quelle mesure un accusé en particulier peut être lié aux drogues trouvées sur des lieux de résidence dépendra de divers facteurs, notamment la question de savoir si l’accusé y vivait[.] [par. 16] [14] Smith et la présente espèce diffèrent en ceci que, dans Smith , les drogues avaient été découvertes à l’intérieur d’une maison d’habitation, alors qu’ici elles ont été découvertes à l’extérieur.
[15] M. Mowry invoque R. c. MacLeod (J.M.) et al. , 2013 MBCA 48 , [2013] M.J. No. 188 (QL) , du fait qu’y ont été infirmées les déclarations de culpabilité prononcées contre deux occupants pour possession d’un objet découvert à l’extérieur de leur demeure. Cette cause, cependant, diffère considérablement de celle dont notre Cour est saisie. [16] Dans MacLeod, les deux accusés avaient été déclarés coupables de possession d’une arme à autorisation restreinte.
La police avait perquisitionné leur demeure et trouvé dans la cour arrière, à l’intérieur d’un parc canin, une arme de poing semi-automatique chargée ensevelie sous la neige. Le parc était occupé par un immense rottweiler quand la police s’était présentée sur les lieux. Le chien paraissait menaçant et il avait fallu, avant de fouiller le parc, l’en enlever. La juge du procès avait conclu à la possession commune de l’arme de poing et déclaré les deux accusés coupables.
Elle avait jugé qu’ils avaient l’un et l’autre connaissance de la présence de l’arme, vu l’endroit où elle se trouvait, la façon dont elle était enveloppée et la difficulté d’y accéder. Il est apparu à la juge que la seule inférence qui pouvait être tirée, en l’absence d’autre preuve, était que, selon toute vraisemblance, un ou plusieurs occupants de la demeure maîtrisaient le chien et, de ce fait, pouvaient accéder au parc canin où l’arme était ensevelie. Celui qui avait la maîtrise du chien contrôlait l’accès à l’arme.
Elle a également conclu qu’aucune inférence compatible avec l’innocence ne pouvait être tirée de la preuve. En appel, les déclarations de culpabilité ont été annulées et des acquittements y ont été substitués. La Cour d’appel a jugé qu’inférer qu’un des accusés avait possession de l’arme, parce qu’il pouvait maîtriser le chien et accéder au parc canin, n’autorisait pas à inférer que tous deux en avaient la possession, puisqu’il était permis d’inférer tout aussi rationnellement qu’un seul l’avait. Rien dans la preuve ne liait au chien, au parc canin ou à l’arme, l’un des accusés en particulier.
La preuve de possession commune de la demeure ne permettait pas d’inférer que chacun des accusés maîtrisait le chien, contrôlait l’accès au parc canin et, en fin de compte, avait possession de l’arme de poing. [17] La juge d’appel Cameron a fait observer qu’il est permis d’inférer d’un objet exposé au regard de chacun, dans une demeure, la connaissance de cet objet. Elle a ajouté ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] L’application du droit, en matière de possession imputée ou commune, dépend énormément des faits de chaque cause.
Il se dégage de la jurisprudence que, dans les causes où l’occupation d’un lieu n’est pas exclusive, il doit exister des éléments de preuve desquels il peut être inféré que chacun des accusés avait la connaissance voulue.
De plus, la seule occupation ne suffit pas nécessairement pour que la connaissance puisse être inférée. [par. 33] [18] En l’espèce, après avoir cité le passage de l’arrêt Smith dans lequel notre Cour a renvoyé à Morelli , le juge du procès a indiqué que la question de savoir si les éléments que constituent le contrôle et la connaissance sont établis est une question de fait, à trancher d’après l’effet cumulatif de « l’ensemble des circonstances » dont la preuve fait état ( Smith , par. 16 ). Le juge est ensuite arrivé aux conclusions de fait suivantes : (1) la propriété était le lieu de résidence de M.
Mowry et, d’une manière générale, la police le savait; (2) le portefeuille de M. Mowry, trouvé dans une table de chevet de la chambre principale, contenait son permis de conduire, sur lequel apparaissait l’adresse du chemin Penniac; (3) du courrier adressé à M. Mowry, chemin Penniac, avait été trouvé dans la maison. La preuve montrait donc que M. Mowry résidait à cette adresse. [19] Le juge du procès a conclu également que M. Mowry était le seul occupant de la propriété. Des éléments de preuve soutenaient cette conclusion. Si le fils de M.
Mowry avait été mentionné, il n’avait pas été nommé et rien n’avait été présenté en preuve à son sujet. Des médicaments prescrits à « Heather Warren Arbeau » avaient été découverts dans la maison, mais l’adresse que portaient les étiquettes des piluliers n’était pas celle du chemin Penniac. Il en allait de même d’un autre document : l’adresse donnée pour M me Arbeau dans une lettre du ministère des Services sociaux était différente. Il est difficile de déterminer, à partir de la preuve photographique, qui vivait réellement dans la maison, en raison du désordre qui y régnait.
Rien d’autre, dans la preuve, n’indiquait que quelqu’un d’autre habitait la propriété ou en avait le contrôle. La conclusion du juge est donc raisonnable sur ce point. [20] Le juge du procès a constaté que la propriété était constituée d’un vaste terrain; une forêt dense, éclaircie dans un rayon de 100 à 150 mètres de la maison, dessinait une cour alentour. Toutes les substances désignées se trouvaient dans ce secteur éclairci (que le juge du procès a appelé [TRADUCTION] « zone d’occupation »), ce qui les rendait aisément accessibles à l’occupant. Le juge y a vu une forte preuve de contrôle.
Les drogues, pour la plupart, n’étaient pas bien en vue, mais les endroits où elles se trouvaient et la façon dont elles étaient disposées ont paru significatifs au juge du procès. Les drogues découvertes étaient cachées, mais demeuraient aisément accessibles. Toutes les drogues étaient dissimulées à l’intérieur ou à proximité d’objets repérables qu’un habitué de la propriété aurait situés sans peine : foyer, arbres morts, tas de branches.
Quiconque savait où les drogues se trouvaient pouvait les récupérer rapidement et ce facteur, leur dissimulation réfléchie, faisait pencher la balance, du point de vue du juge, du côté de la possession imputée. L’ensemble des circonstances le convainquait hors de tout doute raisonnable que M. Mowry avait la possession imputée des substances désignées que visaient les chefs d’accusation contestés en défense. [21] Dans R. c. Dipnarine , 2014 ABCA 328 , [2014] A.J. No. 1102 (QL) , la Cour a expliqué qu’une inférence possible peut être inconciliable avec d’autres conclusions qui paraissent plausibles.
Toutefois, pour qu’elle soit fondée correctement sur
la preuve, une inférence ne peut pas être irrationnelle. La Cour a précisé ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Il n’est pas nécessaire que la preuve circonstancielle exclue toute autre inférence imaginable. Si le juge des faits infère la culpabilité parce que les autres explications possibles n’éveillent aucun doute dans son esprit, le verdict n’est pas, pour autant, déraisonnable ipso jure .
Il appartient toujours fondamentalement au juge des faits de décider si un point de vue différent sur la cause est suffisamment raisonnable pour éveiller un doute dans son esprit. [par. 22] La question est donc de savoir si les inférences du juge du procès sont raisonnables et si, compte tenu de la preuve dans sa totalité, ces inférences soulèvent un doute raisonnable. [22] Il nous faut déterminer, plus précisément, si le juge du procès a tiré de la preuve circonstancielle une inférence raisonnable en ce qui concerne le contrôle des drogues illégales découvertes à l’extérieur de la demeure.
Bien qu’il apparaisse, à l’examen du dossier, qu’aucune preuve directe ne montrait que M. Mowry exerçait un contrôle direct sur les drogues illégales, leur découverte dans la [TRADUCTION] « zone d’occupation » soulignait la proximité étroite de M. Mowry et des drogues. Les premières drogues que la police a découvertes se trouvaient à portée de regard, dans un foyer; on a mis au jour les autres drogues, dont celles auxquelles le chien policier a conduit son maître, après avoir creusé ou enlevé des feuilles.
Quant aux drogues découvertes sous des tas de branches, il a fallu les dégager au moyen d’une machine qui se trouvait tout près, sur la propriété. La nature des caches et la dissimulation des drogues à l’intérieur de contenants hermétiques ne sont pas indicatives de l’intrusion sur la propriété d’un tiers qui aurait voulu masquer les drogues à la vue des autorités et à celle des occupants de la maison. Il est raisonnable d’inférer de ces faits que M.
Mowry était en mesure d’exercer un certain contrôle sur les drogues, pourvu qu’il eût la connaissance requise. [23] Le juge du procès s’est fondé sur les éléments de preuve suivants au
chapitre de la possession imputée : l’occupation de la propriété par M. Mowry, son accès facile aux drogues en tant qu’occupant de la maison, la dissimulation réfléchie des drogues. M. Mowry avance ce qui suit : (1) la recherche d’empreintes digitales n’a rien produit; (2) la police n’a pas découvert de substances désignées à l’intérieur de la maison; (3) il n’y avait ni emballages, ni substances frelatantes, ni feuilles de pointage dans la maison; (4) des données de surveillance n’ont pas été présentées en preuve; (5) les quatre téléphones cellulaires trouvés ne fonctionnaient pas. M.
Mowry soutient essentiellement qu’aucun lien n’existe entre l’occupant et les drogues illégales découvertes à l’extérieur de la demeure. Le ministère public repousse ces arguments : la balance numérique et les sommes d’argent importantes découvertes dans la même salle de bain, à l’intérieur de la maison, constituent un lien. Également, la découverte de substances désignées faciles d’accès dans la [TRADUCTION] « zone d’occupation »,
partie éclaircie de la propriété, pèse plus lourd que ce qu’avance M. Mowry et lie l’appelant aux substances désignées. [24] Je suis d’avis que, encore qu’il ne soit indiqué explicitement par aucun élément de preuve, au dossier, que M. Mowry avait la connaissance requise des substances désignées, il est raisonnable et rationnel de conclure, sur le fondement de la preuve circonstancielle, qu’il avait bel et bien la connaissance requise.
Le juge du procès a formulé les constatations suivantes : il se trouvait sur la propriété plusieurs véhicules, dont une chargeuse à glissement différentiel et un chariot à fourche, divers bâtiments, dont l’un abritait des scies à chaîne, et plusieurs tas de branches y étaient éparpillés. Il a aussi indiqué qu’une boîte de munitions de type militaire contenant 119,39 grammes de shake (feuilles et tiges de marihuana) avait été découverte sous un tas de branches volumineux.
Le juge n’a pas proprement expliqué, ensuite, que la police avait dû employer un engin de terrassement trouvé sur la propriété (un Bobcat équipé d’une pelle, a-t-on dit) pour dégager de ce tas de branches d’une hauteur de dix pieds, placé au bout de l’allée qui menait à la maison, la boîte de munitions de type militaire recelant la drogue, mais une preuve non contredite l’établissait. S’il a fallu recourir à un engin de terrassement pour déplacer le tas de branches, il est raisonnable d’en inférer que la personne qui avait caché la drogue avait dû y recourir elle aussi. En supposant que M.
Mowry soit propriétaire de l’engin (en tant qu’occupant de la maison), il est facile d’inférer également qu’il devait connaître l’usage fait de cet engin (étant donné sa présence évidente sur la propriété et le bruit qu’il peut générer), d’autant plus que le tas de branches était imposant. Ces facteurs incitent à conclure que M. Mowry devait avoir connaissance de l’utilisation d’un engin de terrassement pour déplacer le tas de branches et de son utilisation pour la dissimulation de drogues.
Il s’ensuit que le dossier présentait des éléments de preuve desquels le juge du procès pouvait inférer que les drogues étaient connues de M. Mowry. Le lien entre l’occupant de la demeure et les drogues illégales trouvées à l’extérieur est établi. [25] Inversement, il est irrationnel de penser qu’un inconnu désireux de cacher des drogues illégales les dissimulerait sur la propriété d’autrui en des endroits qui, par nature, seraient découvrables par le propriétaire.
Les drogues étaient cachées en des lieux où l’occupant de la propriété aurait pu les trouver facilement ou, dans le cas de la marihuana, là où la dissimulation même ne serait pas passée inaperçue. Après tout, un énorme tas de branches n’apparaît pas comme par magie. Le propriétaire serait allé voir le monceau de branches sur son terrain, aurait tenté de déterminer quel usage avait été fait de sa machinerie et aurait probablement découvert la drogue cachée. [26] Je suis donc d’avis que l’inférence du juge du procès selon laquelle M. Mowry avait la connaissance requise est raisonnable.
Cette inférence, que la preuve appuie, autorise à conclure que M. Mowry avait la possession imputée des substances.
[27] Le juge du procès s’est ensuite penché sur la deuxième question : M. Mowry avait-il en sa possession lessubstances désignées en vue d’en faire le trafic? Il s’est reporté au par. 6.140 de l’ouvrage Drug Offences in Canada : [TRADUCTION]Au
chapitre de l’intention, la cour doit examiner l’ensemble de la preuve, puis déterminer par inférence si l’accusé avait possession desdrogues en vue d’en faire le trafic. La cour statue sur chaque cause d’après ses faits propres. Elle peut, pour trancher la question del’intention, tirer des inférences des quantités découvertes et d’autres indices pertinents (R. c. Oakes (1983), (ON CA),2 C.C.C. (3d) 339 (C.A. Ont.), p. 363, conf. (SCC), 24 C.C.C. (3d) 321 (C.S.C.))[.] [28] Le juge du procès a tenu compte de la quantité de drogues, ainsi que de facteurs tels le tri et le mode destockage des drogues.
Il a conclu que les drogues étaient cachées dans la [TRADUCTION] « zone d’occupation » et aisémentaccessibles à M. Mowry. La police avait trouvé dans la maison une balance numérique, comme je l’ai mentionné, et un poids. Del’argent était caché dans le bâti du meuble-lavabo : 4 000 $ en billets de 20 $ et de 50 $, réunis en liasses de 1 000 $. Les comprimés misau jour, triés en fonction de leur force, exprimée en milligrammes, étaient stockés dans des bocaux séparés. Ces éléments de preuvesuffisaient pour indiquer une intention de trafiquer.
Le juge du procès a constaté qu’aucune valeur n’avait été attribuée aux drogues, maisa fait observer que la valeur n’est qu’un indice parmi d’autres de l’intention de trafiquer. La quantité est également un facteur important.La preuve rendait compte de la découverte d’un total de 100 comprimés d’oxycodone, dont 65 comprimés de 80 mg, 50 comprimés dePercocet, 6 comprimés d’hydromorphone, 45,96 g de marihuana et 2,5 g de cocaïne. Une inférence raisonnable pouvait être tirée : laquantité découverte s’accordait avec une intention de trafiquer, et non avec un usage personnel.
Le juge du procès a indiqué parparenthèse que de la benzocaïne, produit de coupage ou de frelatage, était mêlée à la cocaïne découverte, autre indice de possession envue du trafic. En dernière analyse, il était convaincu hors de tout doute raisonnable, compte tenu de l’ensemble de la preuve, queM.
Mowry avait les substances désignées en sa possession en vue d’en faire le trafic. [29] Il m’apparaît, après avoir examiné attentivement le dossier, que ces conclusions témoignent d’unecompréhension exacte du droit, ainsi que d’une application du droit à des faits auxquels le juge du procès pouvait raisonnablementconclure. V. Conclusion et dispositif [30] Pour conclure, je suis convaincue que la déraisonnabilité du verdict n’est pas démontrée. Il n’est pas loisible ànotre Cour, en conséquence, d’intervenir en vertu du ss-al. 686(1)a)(
i) du Code. [31] Pour les motifs exposés ci-dessus, je suis d’avis de débouter l’appelant.