2017 QCCQ 7004, 2017 QCCQ 7004
Opinion
R. c. Morin 2017 QCCQ 7004 COUR DU QUÉBEC CANADA PROVINCE DE QUÉBEC DISTRICT DE LONGUEUIL « Chambre criminelle et pénale » N° : 505-01-120581-141 DATE : 21 juin 2017 ______________________________________________________________________ SOUS LA PRÉSIDENCE DE MONSIEUR LE JUGE PIERRE BÉLISLE, J.C.Q. ______________________________________________________________________ SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE Poursuivante c. AMANDA MORIN Accusée ______________________________________________________________________ JUGEMENT *Une traduction non officielle en langue anglaise est jointe en
annexe ______________________________________________________________________ 1. Introduction [ 1 ] Mme Amanda Morin (accusé
e) a subi son procès sous des accusations de conduite d’un véhicule à moteur avec une capacité affaiblie par l’effet de l’alcool et de conduite avec une alcoolémie supérieure à la limite légale. [ 2 ] À l’ouverture de son procès, l’accusée a présenté une requête en exclusion de la preuve au motif que les échantillons d’haleine n’ont pas été prélevés « dès que matériellement possible » au sens de l’alinéa 258
(1) c) ii) C. cr. Si tel est le cas, la poursuite perdrait le bénéfice de la présomption d’identité prévue par cette disposition. [ 3 ] De consentement, la preuve sur voir-dire a été versée au fond. [ 4 ] L’accusée n’a pas témoigné au soutien de sa défense. 2.
Chronologie des événements [ 5 ] La chronologie des événements du 6 décembre 2013, rapportés par les agents de la paix, s’établit ainsi : − 00 h 30 : interception d’un véhicule conduit par l’accusée à un barrage routier effectué pour contrer l’alcool au volant; l’agente Morgan Corjon perçoit une odeur d’alcool provenant de son haleine et observe d’autres symptômes d’ébriété; − 00 h 37 : ordre de fournir un échantillon d’haleine dans un appareil de détection approuvé (ADA); − 00 h 42 : résultat « Fail »; arrestation de l’accusée; − 00 h 44 : ordre de fournir les échantillons d’haleine dans l’alcootest; − 00 h 43 à 1 h 01 : l’accusée s’entretient confidentiellement avec un avocat de l’Aide juridique; − 1 h 27 : prélèvement du 1 er échantillon d’haleine : 109 mg/100 ml de sang; − 1 h 53 : résultat du 2 e test : 95 mg/100 ml de sang. − 2 h 03 : libération de l’accusée par sommation.
3. Question en litige [6] La défense plaide que la poursuite a perdu le bénéfice de la présomption stipulée à l’alinéa 258
(1) c) ii) C. cr. parce que letechnicien qualifié, M. Éric Leclerc, ne se souvient pas exactement de son emploi du temps entre 23 h 44 et 1 h 25, ce soir-là. 4. Analyse et discussion [7] Entre l’interception du véhicule de l’accusée (00 h 30) et la prise du premier échantillon d’haleine (1 h 27), il s’est écoulé 57minutes. La défense considère que ce trop long délai ne respecte pas les conditions d’application de l’alinéa 258
(1) c) ii) C. cr. et faitperdre à la poursuite le bénéfice de la présomption d’identité. [8] L’alinéa 258
(1) c) ii) C. cr. édicte que la preuve des résultats des analyses fait foi de façon concluante de l’alcoolémie del’accusé(
e) au moment où l’infraction aurait été commise si certaines conditions sont réunies dont celle-ci : ii) chaque échantillon a été prélevé dès qu’il a été matériellement possible de le faire après le moment où l’infraction aurait été commiseet, dans le cas du premier échantillon, pas plus de deux heures après ce moment, […], [9] L’obligation qui incombe aux agents de la paix de prélever un échantillon d’haleine dès qu’il est matériellement possible de lefaire signifie qu’ils doivent agir dans un délai relativement court compte tenu des circonstances : R. c. Letford (2000), (ON CA), 150 C.C.C. (3d) 225, (C.A.
Ont.). [10] Dans R. c. Morel, 2010 QCCS 2659, le juge Champagne de la Cour supérieure du Québec, au paragr. 26, rappelle que ladécision rendue dans R. v. Vanderbruggen, (ON CA) constitue l’arrêt de principe sur cette question. Sur le sens àdonner à l’expression « dès que matériellement possible » contenue à l’alinéa 258
(1) c) ii) C. cr., le juge Rosenberg de la Cour d’appelde l’Ontario, au paragr. 12, s’exprime ainsi : 12. There is no requirement that the test be taken as soon as possible. The touchstone for determining whether the tests were taken assoon as practicable is whether the police acted reasonably. [11] Dans R. v.
Singh, 2014 ONCA 293, la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario réitère que l’arrêt Vanderbruggen représente l’état du droit enla matière et approuve, au paragr. 15, les propos du juge Rosenberg ci-dessus mentionnés. [12] Par ailleurs, la poursuite n’a pas à fournir une preuve détaillée pour expliquer les raisons de la détention de l’accusée, minute parminute. On doit garder à l’esprit que le Code criminel autorise une limite de deux heures entre le moment où l’infraction alléguée a étécommise et le prélèvement du premier échantillon d’haleine : Singh, paragr. 14 et 15.
Comme le soulignait le juge Moldaver, à l’époquejuge à la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario, mais siégeant aujourd’hui à la Cour suprême, dans R. v. Charette, 2009 ONCA 310 ,paragr. 45, il faut éviter de promouvoir les « procès par embuscade » dans les causes de conduite avec une alcoolémie excessive à causedu carnage sur les routes causé par les conducteurs en état d’ébriété : [45] I am further satisfied that as a matter of policy and sound criminal procedure, the Rilling principle should apply equally to s.258(1)(
c) as it does to s. 258(1)(g). When one considers the carnage and destruction caused by impaired drivers, I do not think we shouldbe promoting "trial by ambush" in "over 80" trials. [Soulignement ajouté] [13] Étant donné que le technicien qualifié ne se souvient pas comment il a occupé son temps entre 23 h 44 et 1 h 25, la défenseprétend que les échantillons d’haleine auraient pu être prélevés avant 1 h 25. Dans la présente affaire, cela n’a pas d’importance puisquel’accusée a été interpellée à 00 h30, soit 46 minutes après 23 h 44.
De plus, les agents Corjon et Faucher ont bien établi la chronologiedes événements impliquant l’accusée de l’interpellation (00 h 30) à la prise du premier échantillon d’haleine (1 h 27). La preuvedémontre que l’intervention policière s’est déroulée rondement sans perte de temps significative. [14] Bref, le reproche n’est pas fondé. Il est exact que le technicien qualifié ne se souvenait pas à l’audience de la façon dont il avaitoccupé son temps. Il a cependant précisé qu’il avait possiblement procédé à un autre alcootest durant cette période dans le poste decommandement.
Une telle inférence peut raisonnablement être tirée sans spéculer des inscriptions manuscrites consignées au registred’utilisation de la solution d’alcool type (VD-P-4), lequel indique qu’il a changé la solution, à 23 h 25, pour ensuite effectuer trois testsde contrôle avant ceux en cause. L’on ne peut donc conclure à un délai inexpliqué lorsque la preuve démontre le contraire. [15] De plus, la défense s’est opposée à ce que le technicien qualifié vienne expliquer son emploi du temps dans le cadre d’unedemande de réouverture d’enquête.
L’objection de la défense a été accueillie au motif que la requête de la poursuite ne satisfaisait pasaux règles établies par la Cour suprême dans R. c. P. (M.B.), (SCC), [1994] 1 R.C.S. 555. [16] L’on ne peut exiger du technicien qualifié affairé à opérer un alcootest à l’occasion d’un barrage routier de justifier minute parminute son emploi de temps. La poursuite n’a pas l’obligation de présenter une preuve parfaite au point où les agents de la paix doiventexpliquer en détail le déroulement des événements : Vanderbruggen, précité, paragr. 13; R. c. Simard, 2016 QCCS 2712, paragr. 30.
Lefait que les échantillons d’haleine auraient pu être obtenus plus tôt si le technicien qualifié avait agi différemment ne signifie pas qu’ilsn’ont pas été prélevés « dès que matériellement possible ». Il n’y a aucune obligation que ceux-ci soient recueillis le plus rapidementpossible : R. c. Burwell, 2015 SKCA 37. L’exigence doit être appliquée avec discernement : R. v. Singh, 2014 ONCA 293. [17] L’examen de la séquence des événements montre que les agents de la paix ont agi de manière raisonnable dans un délairelativement court eu égard à l’ensemble des circonstances.
En l’occurrence, l’entièreté de l’intervention policière s’est déroulée sur unepériode de 83 minutes, soit un délai bien au deçà de la limite de deux heures édictée par l’alinéa 258
(1) c) ii) C. cr.
5. Conclusion [18] Par conséquent, l’exigence de la prise d’échantillons d’haleine « dès que matériellement possible » a été satisfaite en l’espèce. Iln’y a donc pas lieu de priver la poursuite du bénéfice de la présomption d’identité. Par conséquent, la preuve du résultat des analyses faitfoi de façon concluante de l’alcoolémie de l’accusée au moment où l’infraction a été commise.
L’accusée doit donc être déclaréecoupable du chef de conduite avec une alcoolémie excessive. [19] Quant au premier chef de conduite d’un véhicule avec une capacité affaiblie par l’effet de l’alcool, la preuve offerte révèle undegré d’intoxication faible au point de soulever un doute raisonnable selon les critères établis par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Stellato, (SCC), [1994] 2 R.C.S. 478. L’accusée doit en bénéficier.
POUR CES MOTIFS, LA COUR : [20] REJETTE la requête présentée par la défense. [21] ACQUITTE l’accusée du premier chef d’accusation de conduite avec une capacité affaiblie par l’effet de l’alcool. [22] DÉCLARE l’accusée coupable du deuxième chef de conduite avec une alcoolémie excessive. __________________________________ PIERRE BÉLISLE, J.C.Q. Me Simon LacosteProcureur aux poursuites criminelles et pénalesPour la poursuivante Me Cynthia LacombePour l’accusée Dates d’audience : 18 octobre 2016, 13 avril 2017 R. c. Morin JB 3943 Unofficial translation
Annexe 2017 QCCQ 7004 COURT OF QUÉBEC CANADAPROVINCE OF QUÉBECDISTRICT OF LONGUEUILCriminal and Penal DivisionNo. 505-01-120581-141 DATE: June 21, 2017______________________________________________________________________ PRESENT: THE HONOURABLE PIERRE BÉLISLE J.C.Q.______________________________________________________________________ HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Prosecutor v.
AMANDA MORIN Accused ______________________________________________________________________ JUDGMENT______________________________________________________________________ 1.
Introduction [1] Amanda Morin (the accused) is being tried on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while her ability to operate the vehicle wasimpaired by alcohol, and on a charge of driving while the concentration of alcohol in her blood exceeded the legal limit. [2] At the opening of the trial, the accused filed a motion for exclusion of the evidence on the ground that the breath samples werenot taken "as soon as practicable" within the meaning of subparagraph 258(1)(c)(ii) of the Criminal Code (Cr. C.).
If such is the case, theprosecution would lose the benefit of the presumption of identity provided for in that provision. [3] With consent, the voir dire evidence was filed on the merits. [4] The accused did not testify in support of her defence. 2. Timeline of events [5] Below is the timeline of the events of December 6, 2013, as reported by the peace officers: − 12:30 a.m. interception of a vehicle driven by the accused at a road block set up to counter driving while under the influence ofalcohol.
Officer Morgan Corjon detected an odour of alcohol on her breath and noted other signs of inebriation; − 12:37 a.m. a demand was made that she provide a breath sample, using an approved screening device (ASD); − 12:42 a.m. result "Fail". The accused was arrested; − 12:44 a.m. a demand was made that she provide breath samples using a breathalyzer; − 12:43 a.m. to 1:01 a.m. the accused had a confidential conversation with a legal aid lawyer; − 1:27 a.m. first breath sample taken: 109 mg/100 ml of blood; − 1:53 a.m. second breath sample result: 95 mg/100 ml of blood; − 2:03 a.m. accused released on summons. 3.
Question in dispute [6] The defence contends that the prosecution lost the benefit of the presumption stipulated in subparagraph 258(1)(c)(ii) Cr. C.because the qualified technician, Éric Leclerc, does not remember exactly how he spent the time from 11:44 p.m. to 1:25 a.m. thatevening. 4. Analysis and discussion [7] The accused's vehicle was intercepted at 12:30 a.m. and the first breath sample was taken at 1:27 a.m., a period of 57 minutes.The defence considers that this overly long time period does not abide by the conditions for the application of subparagraph 258(1)(c)(ii)Cr.
C. and results in the prosecution's loss of the benefit of the presumption of identity. [8] Subparagraph 258(1)(c)(ii) Cr.
C. stipulates that evidence of the results of the analyses so made is conclusive proof of theconcentration of alcohol in the accused's blood at the time when the offence was alleged to have been committed if certain conditions aremet, including the following: (ii) each sample was taken as soon as practicable after the time when the offence was alleged to have been committed and, in the case ofthe first sample, not later than two hours after that time, . . . [9] The obligation on peace officers to take a breath sample as soon as practicable means that they must act within a reasonablyprompt time under the circumstances R. v.
Letford, (2000) (ON CA), 150 C.C.C. (3d) 225 (ON CA). [10] In R. c. Morel, 2010 QCCS 2659, Champagne J. of the Superior Court of Québec, at paragraph 26, emphasized that the
decision in R. v. Vanderbruggen, (ON CA) constitutes the leading authority on this point. As concerns the meaning tobe given to the expression "as soon as practicable" in subparagraph 258(1)(c)(ii) Cr. C., Rosenberg J. of the Court of Appeal for Ontariowrote the following at paragraph 12: 12. There is no requirement that the test be taken as soon as possible. The touchstone for determining whether the tests were taken assoon as practicable is whether the police acted reasonably. [11] In R. v.
Singh, 2014 ONCA 293, the Court of Appeal for Ontario reiterated that Vanderbruggen represents the state of the lawin this respect, and approved, at paragraph 15, the comments of Rosenberg J. mentioned above. [12] Moreover, the prosecution does not have to adduce any detailed, minute by minute evidence to explain the reasons for theaccused's detention. It must be kept in mind that the Criminal Code permits an outside limit of two hours from the time of the offence tothe taking of the first test: Singh, at paragraphs 14 and 15.
As emphasized by Moldaver J., who was at the time judge with the Court ofAppeal for Ontario, but who now sits on the Supreme Court, in R. v. Charette, 2009 ONCA 310 , at paragraph 45, we shouldavoid promoting "trial by ambush" in cases of driving under the influence, given the carnage caused by impaired drivers: [45] I am further satisfied that as a matter of policy and sound criminal procedure, the Rilling principle should apply equally to s.258(1)(
c) as it does to s. 258(1)(g). When one considers the carnage and destruction caused by impaired drivers, I do not think we shouldbe promoting "trial by ambush" in "over 80" trials. [Emphasis added.] [13] Since the qualified technician does not remember how he spent the time between 11:44 p.m. and 1:25 a.m., the defence claimsthat the breath samples could have been taken before 1:25 a.m. In the present case, this is not important since the accused was stopped at12:30 a.m., i.e. 46 minutes after 11:44 p.m.
In addition, Officers Corjon and Faucher properly established the timeline of the eventsinvolving the accused, from the time she was stopped (12:30 a.m.) to the time the first breath sample was taken (1:27 a.m.). Theevidence shows that the police intervention was conducted efficiently, with no significant loss of time. [14] In short, the claim is unfounded. It is true that, at the hearing, the qualified technician did not remember how he had spent histime. He did state though, that he may have done another blood alcohol test during that time in the commander post.
Such an inferencecan reasonably be drawn, without speculating, on the basis of the handwritten entries in the usage register of the standard alcoholsolution (VD-P-4), which indicates that he changed the solution at 11:25 p.m. to conduct three control tests prior to those in this case.Thus, it cannot be concluded that there was an unexplained delay when the evidence shows the contrary. [15] In addition, the defence objected to having the qualified technician appear to explain his time
schedule within the framework ofan application to reopen the investigation. The defence objection was allowed on the ground that the prosecution's motion did not abideby the rules established by the Supreme Court in R. v. P. (M.B.) (SCC), [1994] 1 SCR 555. [16] A qualified technician occupied in conducting a blood alcohol test related to a road block cannot be required to give a minute byminute account of how his or her time is spent.
There is no requirement that the prosecution provide a detailed explanation by the peaceofficers of what occurred during every minute of the events (Vanderbruggen, supra, paragraph 13; R. c. Simard, 2016 QCCS 2712,paragraph 30). The fact that the breath samples could have been obtained earlier had the qualified technician acted differently does notmean that they were not taken "as soon as practicable". There is no requirement that the tests be taken as soon as possible (R. v. Burwell,2015 SKCA 37). The "as soon as practicable" requirement must be applied with reason (R. v.
Singh, 2014 ONCA 293). [17] An examination of the sequence of the events shows that the peace officers acted reasonably in a relatively short period of time,given the whole of the circumstances. In this case, the entire police intervention took place over a period of 83 minutes, i.e. well withinthe two-hour time period stipulated in subparagraph 258(1)(c)(ii) Cr. C. [18] Consequently, in this case, the requirement that each breath sample be taken "as soon as practicable" has been met. Therefore,there is no reason to deprive the prosecution of the benefit of the presumption of identity.
Consequently, the evidence of the result of theanalyses is conclusive proof of the concentration of alcohol in the accused's blood at the time when the offence was committed.
Theaccused must therefore be convicted on the charge of driving while the concentration of alcohol in her blood exceeded the legal limit. [19] As concerns the first charge, i.e. operating a motor vehicle while her ability to operate the vehicle was impaired by alcohol, theevidence submitted shows a degree of impairment so slight as to raise a reasonable doubt, according to the criteria set down by theSupreme Court in Stellato (SCC), [1994] 2 S.C.R. 478. The accused must be given the benefit of this.
THEREFORE, THE COURT: [20] DISMISSES the motion brought by the defence. [21] ACQUITS the accused of the first charge, i.e. driving while her ability to do so was impaired by alcohol. [22] DECLARES the accused guilty on the second charge, i.e. driving while the concentration of alcohol in her blood exceeded thelegal limit. __________________________________ PIERRE BÉLISLE J.C.Q. Mtre. Simon Lacoste
Criminal and penal prosecuting attorney For the prosecutor Mtre. Cynthia Lacombe For the accused Dates of hearing: October 18, 2016, April 13, 2017