2016 NBCA 62, 2016 NBCA 62
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 74-15-CA THE ESTATE OF GARY KNOWLES, as represented by Joyce Blackett , Executrix APPELLANT SUCCESSION DE GARY KNOWLES, représentée par Joyce Blackett , exécutrice APPELANTE - and - - et - DOROTHY ELLA KNOWLES RESPONDENT DOROTHY ELLA KNOWLES INTIMÉE Knowles Estate v. Knowles, 2016 NBCA 62 Succession Knowles c.
Knowles, 2016 NBCA 62 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: July 9, 2015 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 9 juillet 2015 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: January 19, 2016 Appel entendu : le 19 janvier 2016 Judgment rendered: October 27, 2016 Jugement rendu : le 27 octobre 2016
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Terence R. Connelly For the respondent: Terrence P. Lenihan Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Terence R. Connelly Pour l’intimée : Terrence P. Lenihan THE COURT The Style of Cause is amended to reflect the appellant in this matter as “The Estate of Gary Knowles, as represented by Joyce Blackett, Executrix”.
The appeal is dismissed, with the exception of the issue of the costs award, which is allowed. The Estate of Mr. Knowles is ordered to pay costs at trial in the amount of $3,500, plus allowable disbursements. The Estate of Mr. Knowles is also ordered to pay costs on the appeal in the amount of $1,000. LA COUR L’intitulé de l’instance est modifié afin de désigner appelante la « Succession de Gary Knowles, représentée par Joyce Blackett, exécutrice ». L’appel de la décision est rejeté. Toutefois, l’appel relatif à la question des dépens est accueilli. Il est ordonné à la succession de M.
Knowles de payer les dépens en première instance qui se chiffrent maintenant à 3 500 $, ainsi que les débours admissibles. Il est également ordonné à la succession de M. Knowles de payer les dépens en appel qui se chiffrent à 1 000 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Following a long period of separation, Mrs. Knowles filed a Petition for Divorce on June 8, 2012, and claimed a division of marital property pursuant to the Marital Property Act , S.N.B. 2012, c. 107, (the “ Act ”). Mr. Knowles filed an Answer and Counter-Petition on July 23, 2012.
The matter went to trial for a single day in March, 2015, before a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division, the result of which was an equal division of marital property and a costs award against Mr. Knowles. He now appeals that decision.
II. Background [ 2 ] The parties were married on August 4, 1962. They separated 18 years later on September 1, 1980. As is readily apparent, some 35 years have passed between the date of separation and the date of trial. As will be seen, this fact scenario presented certain challenges. [ 3 ] The parties have two children, who at the time of trial were 47 and 49 years of age. Both are independent. [ 4 ] Following separation, Mr. Knowles continued to live in the marital home. The children resided with him, although the evidence established that Mrs. Knowles continued to be an active part of their lives. [ 5 ] Mrs.
Knowles essentially left the marital home with nothing, leaving behind everything but a few photographs, including her clothing and other personal possessions. III. Issues [ 6 ] Mr. Knowles advances four grounds of appeal: 1. The trial judge erred in law by misapplying the principles pertaining to the division of marital property by ordering an equal division of the home and its contents; 2. The trial judge erred in law by not considering evidence regarding the renovations carried out by Mr. Knowles on the marital home; 3. The trial judge erred in law by attributing a value of $8,000 to the contents; and 4.
The trial judge erred in law by awarding costs against Mr. Knowles, or, in the alternative, erred in law in determining the amount of the costs awarded. IV. Law and Analysis A. Style of Cause [ 7 ] The hearing of this matter began with a discussion of the necessity to make a change to the Style of Cause. Sadly, Mr. Knowles passed away on November 17, 2015, as the result of an accident. The parties placed a draft, signed consent order before the Court requesting the Style of Cause be amended to identify the appellant as “The Estate of Gary Knowles, as represented by Joyce Blackett, Executrix”.
The parties also confirmed to the Court their intention to proceed with the appeal. [ 8 ] I would order the Style of Cause be amended to reflect the appellant in this matter as “The Estate of Gary Knowles, as represented by Joyce Blackett, Executrix”. B. The Lobster Licence and Boat [ 9 ] On reading the trial judge’s reasons for decision, one might well be left with the impression there has been a vigorous argument over the ownership of the lobster licence and boat. The trial judge identified the marital home and
the lobster licence as having been “by far the most contentious issues between the parties”. [10] The testimony of Mr. Knowles established he had purchased the lobster licence for twenty-fivecents when he was 13 or 14 years old, in approximately 1954. Obviously, this was long before the parties were married. He continued toengage in lobster fishing pursuant to that licence until his retirement some four years prior to the date of the trial. Mr. Knowles sold hislicence to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans for $100,000.
The boat in question was purchased in 1985, and was thus acquired fiveyears after the date of separation. It was sold for $5,000. [11] Evidence proffered at trial made it clear that while Mrs. Knowles provided some support to herhusband’s fishing, it was not extensive. Sometimes she helped with tasks such as: repairing traps, painting the boat and buoys, cookingand delivering lobster, paying business related bills, doing paperwork, etc. The trial judge found that on cross-examination, Mrs.Knowles “was not able to affirm how often and for how many years she did those tasks.
On that issue, her evidence was not convincing”. [12] In determining whether or not the lobster licence and boat constituted marital property, the trialjudge relied upon the decisions of Léger J. in Knowles Estate v. Knowles et al., 2011 NBQB 43, 374 N.B.R. (2d) 10, and Guérette J. inSmall v. Small (1987), (NB KB), 85 N.B.R. (2d) 1, [1987] N.B.J. No. 1121 (Q.B.) (QL). In Knowles, Justice Légerconcluded the lobster licence, boat, and traps should be excluded from the definition of marital property.
Justice Guérette reached asimilar conclusion in Small. [13] The trial judge disposed of this issue in the following terms: Considering all of the evidence, I share the opinions and conclusions expressed in Knowles and Small by Justices Léger and Guérette,and I conclude that the lobster licence, the lobster boat and the lobster gear in question in this matter are not marital property because thelicence was purchased by the Respondent several years prior to the marriage, the boat was purchased after the separation, the gear is attributed to either or both the licence and the boat, based on the evidence or lack thereof, and the Petitioner provided limited assistancein the exercise of the Respondent’s lobster fishing. [para. 49] [14] The foregoing certainly strikes me as a proper and just determination of the ownership of theassets of the fishing enterprise.
The trial judge’s decision on point is not the subject of a cross-appeal. One might wonder why, given thefacts of this case, Mrs. Knowles had pursued the licence and boat at all, when such a quest seemed destined to failure. The answer issurprisingly simple. In the words of counsel for Mrs. Knowles on appeal, “we really didn’t claim for the lobster licence and boat”. Theissue was placed before the court by Mr. Knowles, not Mrs. Knowles. In his Answer and Counter-Petition, Mr. Knowles requested adeclaration pursuant to s. 8 of the Marital Property Act that the lobster licence, boat and gear belonged solely to him.
His counsel onappeal confirmed they had asked the court for the declaration. C. The Marital Home and Contents [15] The value of the marital home and its contents constitute the real heart of the dispute betweenthe parties. In her Petition, Mrs. Knowles asked for an equal division of marital property. Mr.
Knowles claimed pursuant to s. 6 of theMarital Property Act that all property be excluded, or in the alternative the marital property be divided unequally in his favour. [16] Only one marital asset had any significant value, and that was the marital home, in which Mr.Knowles had continued to reside with the children following the date of separation. The trial judge properly identified the statutoryframework governing a division of marital property in the province, citing s. 3(1) of the Act:
3(1) Each spouse, on application to the Court, is entitled to have the marital property divided in equal shares if (
a) a judgment granting a divorce is rendered, (
b) a marriage is declared a nullity, (
c) the spouses are living separate and apart and there is no reasonable prospect of the resumption of cohabitation, or (
d) a marriage has broken down and there is no reasonable prospect of reconciliation, whether or not the spouses are living separate and apart. 3(1) Sur requête adressée à la Cour, chaque conjoint a droit à une répartition égale des biens matrimoniaux sous l’une des conditions suivantes :
a) un jugement de divorce a été prononcé;
b) le mariage a été déclaré nul;
c) les conjoints vivent séparés et il n’existe aucun espoir raisonnable de reprise de la cohabitation;
d) le mariage s’est dissous et il n’existe aucun espoir raisonnable de réconciliation, que les conjoints vivent séparés ou non. [ 17 ] The marital home is located in a rural area of Gloucester County, New Brunswick. The couple acquired the property for $5,000. The original residence, purchased by Mrs. Knowles, was admittedly modest. It was eventually moved to the rear of their property and converted to a “lobster shed”. The second home was built between 1975 and 1977 by the parties through their own labour with help from family and friends.
The cost of materials was approximately $25,000. [ 18 ] Valuation of a marital home typically occurs at the time of separation, and this is usually relatively close in time to a claim for a division of marital property. In this case, the trial judge was faced with a challenge. The separation took place 35 years before the date of trial. Determining the value of the home in 1980 would not be straightforward absent some agreement between the parties on the value. [ 19 ] Here, the trial judge received evidence, introduced by consent, to establish the fair market value of the home as of 2010, 2014 and 2015.
In light of this approach the trial judge determined he would: […] [C]onsider their consent to the introduction of this evidence to be their consent that the value of the marital home be determined as of the date of trial rather than the date of separation. [para. 55] [ 20 ] I consider this to be a sensible and practical resolution of the issue, and clearly within the discretion of the trial judge. In the result, he had at his disposal a 2010 appraisal showing the value of the home to be $50,200, a 2014 property tax assessment showing an assessed value of $86,900, and a 2015 appraisal showing a value of $53,700.
As the trial judge quite properly noted, he had been provided with a recent valuation, determined by a qualified property appraiser, on consent. He chose to use the figure, and I see nothing wrong with his decision. [ 21 ] There was considerable disagreement between the parties over the impact of various renovations to the marital home undertaken by Mr. Knowles in the 35 years from the date of separation to the date of trial. Mrs. Knowles argued many of the renovations had in fact decreased the value of the property, while not surprisingly Mr. Knowles argued the value had been enhanced.
There was little in the way of detailed evidence to support either claim, and the trial judge made no adjustments to the 2015 appraised value. In my opinion, it was well within his discretion to adopt the position he did, and I see no basis to interfere with his disposition. [ 22 ] The passage of so many years also made the determination of the value of the contents of the marital home a difficult proposition. Evidence was scant to say the least. In the end, the trial judge used what evidence he did have and determined the value of the contents at the time of separation to have been $8,000.
Again, I see no basis to interfere. Quite simply, there was no way to ascertain a value with any precision. In the circumstances, the trial judge made a determination I feel to be fair to the
parties. [23] Finally, having determined the value of the property to be divided, the trial judge was left withthe task of making the actual division. Recall the parties adopted vastly different positions with respect to division. Mrs. Knowles askedthat it be equal, Mr. Knowles asked for everything.
The trial judge identified the relevant statutory provisions and indicated he hadconsidered the jurisprudence relied upon by the parties, although admittedly he did not provide a review of those cases, and hisinterpretation of them, in his written decision. [24] In his analysis, the trial judge considered that the parties cohabitated for a period of 18 years,and determined the marriage was one of “long duration”. On this basis, he concluded an unequal division of marital property was notwarranted. I agree. [25] The trial judge acknowledged Mr.
Knowles had exclusive use and occupation of the maritalhome from the date of separation. He concluded Mrs. Knowles had made attempts to settle outstanding marital property issues on“several occasions” during those years. He determined the marital property had been acquired by the parties during their period ofcohabitation, and improved by them as a couple during that time.
There was no gift, no inheritance, etc. [26] Ultimately, the trial judge reached the following conclusion: […] There are no circumstances mentioned in the evidence that demonstrate that the acquisition, disposition, preservation, maintenance,improvement or use of the marital property during the marriage that would render it, in my opinion, inequitable if equally divided.
Finally, after reviewing the evidence I am not convinced that there has been a gross disparity between the contributions of the parties. […] Based on all of the evidence, particularly on the length of the marriage and the contributions of the Petitioner as a homemaker, I am ofthe opinion that division of the marital property in equal shares in this matter would not be inequitable having regard to the provisions ofsection 7 aforesaid, for the above reasons. [paras. 83-84] [27] I am satisfied the trial judge applied the correct legal tests, and made no error rendering hisdecision on the division of marital property subject to appellate interference.
D. Costs [28] Costs awards are indisputably squarely within the purview of the trial judge, and should not belightly interfered with by an appellate court. That said, when circumstances warrant, appellate intervention is appropriate. [29] The trial judge made a significant costs award, given the modest value of the marital assets, onthe following basis: Although the hearing in this matter only took one day and the disputed claims between the parties did not represent relatively large sumsof money, the Petitioner was nonetheless successful on the most contentious issue raised in the pleadings.
Accordingly, she is entitled tocosts notwithstanding that the Respondent’s counter-claim was granted as the marital home was the primary and initial asset that wascontested following separation. Tariff “A” of Rule 59 applies in matters relating to the division of property (See Rademaker v. Rademaker, 2002 NBCA 47, [2002]N.B.J. No. 218, at para. 28).
In this case, the end result was a judgment in favor of the Petitioner for thirty thousand eight hundred andfifty dollars and fifty cents ($30,850.50) based on [a] division of property claim having a total value of one hundred and sixty ninethousand two hundred dollars ($169,200) being the marital property of $61,700 plus the excluded assets being the lobster licence, boatand gear of $105,000 and the personal property of $2,500. Scale 1 of Tariff “A” should therefore be the minimum scale to apply to the amount involved or the total value of the property beingclaimed, namely $169,200.
In addition, the Court has to strike a balance that acknowledges the position taken by each of the partiesand the gains made by each of them (see Simms v. Simms, (NB CA), [1996], N.B.J. No. 570).
Although the matter only took one day and the issues were not complex, with the exception of the “time factor” being the length of time that passed since the separation and the trial, namely 35 years [, the] “time factor” added issues to the calculation of the values such as the alleged depreciation and the alleged increases in value which would not normally have been required. In addition, the Respondent’s unwillingness subsequent to separation to settle some of the basic issues contributed to the delay in bringing this matter to trial.
The Respondent not only challenged all of the Petitioner’s marital property claims, he contested all of the values of the assets in question. As mentioned, I preferred the Petitioner’s evidence over the Respondent’s, including the issue of whether or not previous attempts to settle were undertaken. I’m convinced that the Respondent left the Petitioner no other alternative but to institute legal proceedings in order for her to receive her share of the marital property.
That factor would move costs to scale 3 in my opinion, however since the Respondent was successful in excluding his lobster fishing assets, I would go down to scale 2. Accordingly, the Respondent shall pay the Petitioner within ten (10) days hereof costs of seven thousand two hundred and eighty four dollars ($7,284.00), plus HST but inclusive of all allowable disbursements (Tariff “A”, scale 2, $5,900 for the first $100,000 plus 2% of the excess of $69,200, $1,384). [paras. 93-99] [ 30 ] A costs award which includes allowable disbursements is an error of law, as recently outlined by the Court in Noel v.
Butler , 2016 NBCA 49 : To be clear, it is an error to include disbursements in an award of costs, although I recognize this has been a common practice at the trial level in our province. The two are separate and distinct concepts, and should not be conflated. I agree with the observation made by Quigg J.A. in Calvy , “it is an error to deprive a party of reasonable disbursements by including them in a cost award”. See also Slade v.
Duguay , in which the Court stated there was “no principled basis for denying the appellant full reimbursement of her disbursements”. [para. 28] [ 31 ] Given the trial judge was in error in setting his costs award, it is now open to the Court to determine what it deems appropriate in the circumstances. Earlier in these reasons, I offered some context surrounding the consideration of the lobster licence and boat. Although it was Mr. Knowles who placed the question of these assets before the trial judge, there was never any serious question as to ownership and whether these items constituted marital property.
In light of this reality, I am not comfortable including the value of the lobster licence and boat in the calculation of the amount involved. [ 32 ] Accordingly, I would set aside the order of the trial judge with respect to costs, and order the Estate of Mr. Knowles to pay costs at trial in the amount of $3,500, plus allowable disbursements. I accept the points made by the trial judge with respect to the negative impact the actions of Mr. Knowles had upon the resolution of the dispute between the parties. V.
Conclusion and Disposition [ 33 ] I would order the Style of Cause be amended to reflect the appellant in this matter as “The Estate of Gary Knowles, as represented by Joyce Blackett, Executrix”. [ 34 ] I would dismiss the appeal, with the exception of the issue of the costs award against Mr. Knowles. This one aspect of the appeal I would allow, set aside the order of the trial judge, and instead I would order the Estate of Mr. Knowles to pay costs at trial in the amount of $3,500, plus allowable disbursements. [ 35 ] I would order the Estate of Mr.
Knowles to pay costs on appeal in the amount of $1,000, given the mixed results. Mrs. Knowles was largely, but not entirely, successful.
____________________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. WE CONCUR: ___________________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. ____________________________________ RAYMOND T. FRENCH, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE GREEN I. Introduction [1] Après une longue période de séparation, M me Knowles a déposé une requête en divorce le 8 juin 2012 et sollicité une répartition des biens matrimoniaux sous le régime de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux , L.N.-B. 2012, ch. 107 (la Loi ). M. Knowles a déposé une réponse et demande reconventionnelle le 23 juillet 2012. L’affaire a été instruite pendant une seule journée, en mars 2015, par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de la famille. Les biens matrimoniaux ont été répartis de façon égale et le juge a ordonné à M. Knowles de payer les dépens. Ce dernier interjette appel de cette décision. II. Contexte [2] Les parties se sont mariées le 4 août 1962. Elles se sont séparées 18 ans plus tard, soit le 1 er septembre 1980.
On peut donc facilement constater que quelque 35 années se sont écoulées entre la date de la séparation et la date du procès. Comme nous le verrons, ce contexte factuel a posé certains défis. [3] Les parties ont deux enfants, lesquels étaient âgés de 47 et de 49 ans au moment du procès. Les deux sont autonomes.
[4] Après la séparation, M. Knowles a continué à habiter le foyer matrimonial. Les enfants vivaient avec lui quoique la preuve a montré que M me Knowles a continué de jouer un rôle actif dans leur vie. [5] En fait, M me Knowles a quitté le foyer matrimonial les mains vides, abandonnant tout sauf quelques photos, y compris ses vêtements et autres effets personnels. III. Questions en litige [6] M. Knowles invoque quatre moyens d’appel : 1.
Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en appliquant de façon erronée les principes régissant la répartition des biens matrimoniaux en ordonnant une répartition égale du foyer et de son contenu; 2. Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en ne tenant pas compte de la preuve au sujet des rénovations du foyer matrimonial effectuées par M. Knowles; 3. Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en attribuant une valeur de 8 000 $ au contenu du foyer; 4. Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en condamnant M.
Knowles aux dépens, ou, subsidiairement, en déterminant le montant des dépens attribués. IV. Droit et analyse A. Intitulé de l’instance [7] L’audition de la présente affaire a débuté par une discussion au sujet de la nécessité de modifier l’intitulé de l’instance. Malheureusement, M. Knowles est décédé le 17 novembre 2015 par suite d’un accident. Les parties ont déposé auprès de la cour un projet d’ordonnance par consentement signé afin de demander que l’intitulé de l’instance soit modifié afin de désigner appelante la « Succession de Gary Knowles, représentée par Joyce Blackett, exécutrice » .
Les parties ont également confirmé à la Cour leur intention de poursuivre l’appel. [8] J’ordonnerais que l’intitulé de l’instance soit modifié afin de désigner appelante dans la présente affaire la « Succession de Gary Knowles, représentée par Joyce Blackett, exécutrice » . B. Le permis de pêche au homard et le bateau [9] À la lecture des motifs de décision du juge du procès, on pourrait fort bien rester sur l’impression qu’il y a eu une argumentation énergique au sujet de la propriété du permis de pêche au homard et du bateau.
Le juge du procès a indiqué que le foyer matrimonial et le permis de pêche au homard avaient été [TRADUCTION] « de loin les questions les plus litigieuses entre les parties ». [10] Le témoignage de M. Knowles a établi qu’il avait acheté le permis de pêche au homard à l’âge de 13 ou 14 ans, soit en 1954 environ, pour la somme de vingt-cinq cents. Bien entendu, cet achat a été effectué bien avant que les parties se marient. Il a continué de pratiquer la pêche au homard au
titre de ce permis jusqu’à ce qu’il prenne sa retraite quelque quatre années avant la date du procès. M. Knowles a vendu son permis de pêche au ministère des Pêches et des Océans pour la somme de 100 000 $. Le bateau en question avait été acheté en 1985, soit cinq ans après la date de la séparation. Il a été vendu à 5 000 $.
[11] La preuve présentée au procès a permis de constater que même si Mme Knowles avait aidé sonmari à exploiter son entreprise de pêche, son aide n’était pas de grande ampleur. Parfois, elle apportait son concours aux tâchessuivantes : réparer les casiers, peinturer le bateau et les bouées, faire cuire le homard et le livrer, payer des factures liées à l’entreprise de pêche et effectuer du travail de bureau, etc. Le juge du procès a conclu que lors du contre-interrogatoire, Mme Knowles[TRADUCTION] « n’a pas été en mesure de confirmer à quelle fréquence et pendant combien d’années elle avait effectué ces tâches.
Sur ce point, son témoignage n’a pas été convaincant ». [12] Afin de déterminer si le permis de pêche et le bateau constituaient des biens matrimoniaux, lejuge du procès s’est fondé sur la décision du juge Léger dans l’affaire Knowles (Succession) c. Knowles, 2011 NBBR 43, 374 R.N.- B. (2e) 10, et celle du juge Guérette dans Small c. Small (1987), (NB KB), 85 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, [1987] A.N.-B. no 1121(C.B.R.) (QL). Dans Knowles, le juge Léger a conclu que le permis de pêche au homard, le bateau et les casiers devraient être exclus dela définition de biens matrimoniaux.
Le juge Guérette a tiré une conclusion semblable dans Small. [13] Le juge du procès a tranché cette question de la façon suivante : [TRADUCTION]Après avoir examiné l’ensemble de la preuve, je souscris aux opinions et aux conclusions exprimées dans Knowles et Small par les jugesLéger et Guérette, et je conclus que le permis de pêche au homard, le bateau de pêche au homard et les engins de pêche au homard nesont pas des biens matrimoniaux puisque l’intimé avait acheté le permis quelques années avant le mariage et le bateau après laséparation et que les engins de pêche sont liés soit au permis, soit au bateau, selon la preuve ou l’absence de celle-ci, et que le soutienque la requérante a apporté à l’intimé dans son entreprise de pêche au homard était limité. [par. 49] [14] La conclusion qui précède me semble une détermination juste et équitable de la propriété desactifs de l’entreprise de pêche au homard.
La décision sur cette question rendue par le juge du procès ne fait pas l’objet d’un appel reconventionnel. On pourrait cependant se demander pourquoi, compte tenu des faits de la présente instance, Mme Knowles a cherché àrecouvrer une part du permis et du bateau, lorsqu’une telle demande semblait vouée à l’échec. La réponse est bien simple. Pour reprendre les propos de l’avocat de Mme Knowles en appel, [TRADUCTION] « nous n’avons pas présenté de réclamation en ce qui concerne le permis de pêche au homard et le bateau ». Cette question a été soumise à la cour par M.
Knowles, et non par Mme Knowles.Dans sa réponse et demande reconventionnelle, M. Knowles a sollicité une déclaration, au
titre de l’art. 8 de la
Loi sur les biensmatrimoniaux, portant qu’il était le propriétaire unique du permis de pêche au homard, du bateau et des engins de pêche. Son avocat enappel a confirmé avoir demandé à la cour pour une telle déclaration. C. Le foyer matrimonial et son contenu [15] En fait, c’est la valeur du foyer matrimonial et de son contenu qui est au cœur du litige entre les parties. Dans sa requête en divorce, Mme Knowles a sollicité une répartition égale des biens matrimoniaux. M. Knowles a demandé, autitre de l’art. 6 de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux, que tous les biens soient exclus, ou subsidiairement, que les biens matrimoniauxsont répartis en parts inégales en sa faveur. [16] Un seul bien matrimonial avait une valeur considérable et il s’agissait du foyer matrimonial,foyer que M. Knowles a continué à habiter avec les enfants après la date de la séparation. Le juge du procès a bien cerné le cadrelégislatif régissant la répartition des biens matrimoniaux dans notre province, citant le par. 3(1) de la Loi :
3(1) Each spouse, on application to the Court, is entitled to have the marital property divided in equal shares if (
a) a judgment granting a divorce is rendered, (
b) a marriage is declared a nullity, (
c) the spouses are living separate and apart and there is no reasonable prospect of the resumption of cohabitation, or (
d) a marriage has broken down and there is no reasonable prospect of reconciliation, whether or not the spouses are living separate and apart. 3(1) Sur requête adressée à la Cour, chaque conjoint a droit à une répartition égale des biens matrimoniaux sous l’une des conditions suivantes :
a) un jugement de divorce a été prononcé;
b) le mariage a été déclaré nul;
c) les conjoints vivent séparés et il n’existe aucun espoir raisonnable de reprise de la cohabitation;
d) le mariage s’est dissous et il n’existe aucun espoir raisonnable de réconciliation, que les conjoints vivent séparés ou non. [17] Le foyer matrimonial est situé dans une région rurale du comté de Gloucester, au Nouveau- Brunswick. Le couple avait acheté le bien pour la somme de 5 000 $. Il est vrai que la résidence originale, dont M me Knowles s’était portée acquéresse, était modeste. Avec le temps, elle a été déménagée à l’arrière de leur propriété et convertie en [TRADUCTION] « hangar pour la pêche au homard ».
La deuxième maison a été construite entre 1975 et 1977 par les parties elles-mêmes avec l’aide de leurs familles et de leurs amis. Le coût des matériaux était d’environ 25 000 $. [18] Règle générale, l’évaluation d’un foyer matrimonial a lieu au moment de la séparation et est habituellement suivie de près ou précédée d’une demande de répartition des biens matrimoniaux. En l’espèce, le juge du procès devait relever un défi. La séparation avait eu lieu 35 ans avant la date du procès.
En l’absence d’une entente entre les parties quant à la valeur de celui-ci, la détermination de la valeur du foyer en 1980 ne serait pas simple. [19] Le juge du procès a reçu des éléments de preuve, déposés par consentement, dans le but d’établir la juste valeur marchande de la maison en 2010, 2014 et 2015.
Compte tenu de cette démarche, le juge du procès a décidé qu’il procéderait ainsi : [TRADUCTION] […] considérer leur consentement à l’introduction de ces éléments de preuve comme un consentement à ce que la valeur du foyer matrimonial soit établie à la date du procès plutôt qu’à la date de la séparation. [par. 55] [20] J’estime qu’il s’agit là d’une façon raisonnable et pratique de résoudre la question qui relève clairement du pouvoir discrétionnaire du juge du procès.
Ainsi, il avait à sa disposition une évaluation effectuée en 2010 qui indiquait que la valeur de la maison était de 50 200 $, une évaluation foncière à des fins d’imposition datant de 2014, laquelle indiquait une valeur d’évaluation de 86 900 $, et une évaluation effectuée en 2015 affichant une valeur de 53 700 $. Ainsi que le juge du procès l’a souligné à juste titre, on lui avait fourni une évaluation récente, établie par un évaluateur de biens qualifié, et ce, sur consentement.
Il a décidé d’utiliser cette évaluation et je n’ai rien à redire au sujet de cette décision. [21] Les parties étaient en profond désaccord au sujet de l’impact des diverses rénovations de la maison, effectuées par M. Knowles, dans les 35 années qui se sont écoulées entre la date de la séparation et la date du procès. M me Knowles a fait valoir que bon nombre des rénovations avaient en fait diminué la valeur du bien tandis que, comme on pouvait s’y attendre, M. Knowles a soutenu que la valeur du bien avait augmenté.
Il y avait peu en termes de preuve détaillée à l’appui de l’une ou l’autre position et le juge du procès n’a pas modifié la valeur d’expertise de 2015. À mon avis, il avait le pouvoir discrétionnaire de procéder ainsi et je ne vois aucune raison d’intervenir en ce qui a trait à la manière dont il a tranché cette question. [22] Le fait que de nombreuses années se sont écoulées depuis la séparation a aussi fait en sorte que
la détermination de la valeur du contenu du foyer matrimonial s’est avérée une tâche difficile. La preuve était rare, c’est le moins qu’on puisse dire. En fin de compte, le juge du procès s’est servi de la preuve à sa disposition et a déterminé que la valeur du contenu du foyer au moment de la séparation était de 8 000 $. Ici encore, je ne vois aucune raison d’intervenir. À vrai dire, il n’y avait aucune manière de confirmer la valeur avec une précision quelconque.
Dans les circonstances, le juge du procès a fixé une valeur que j’estime juste pour les parties. [23] Enfin, après avoir déterminé la valeur des biens à répartir, le juge du procès devait alors procéder à la répartition de ces biens. Il faut se rappeler que les parties ont adopté des positions extrêmement différentes quant à la répartition des biens. M me Knowles avait sollicité une répartition égale tandis que M. Knowles avait demandé que tout lui soit accordé.
Le juge du procès a cerné les dispositions législatives qui s’appliquaient en l’espèce et a indiqué qu’il avait tenu compte de la jurisprudence sur laquelle s’appuyaient les parties quoique, de toute évidence, il n’a pas fourni un examen de cette jurisprudence et son interprétation de celle-ci dans sa décision écrite. [24] Dans son analyse, le juge du procès a pris en compte le fait que les parties avaient vécu ensemble pendant 18 ans et a conclu qu’il s’agissait d’un mariage de « longue durée ». Il a conclu, sur ce fondement, qu’une répartition inégale des biens matrimoniaux n’était pas justifiée.
Je suis d’accord. [25] Le juge du procès a reconnu que M. Knowles avait utilisé et occupé le foyer matrimonial de façon exclusive depuis la date de la séparation. Il a conclu que M me Knowles avait essayé de régler les questions en litige visant les biens matrimoniaux [TRADUCTION] « à plusieurs reprises » au cours de ces années. Il a jugé que les biens matrimoniaux avaient été acquis par les parties pendant leur période de cohabitation et qu’elles les avaient améliorés comme couple au cours de cette période.
Il n’y avait pas de biens acquis par donation ou par héritage, etc. [26] En fin de compte, le juge du procès a tiré la conclusion suivante : [TRADUCTION] […] La preuve ne fait état d’aucune circonstance liée à l’acquisition, à la disposition, à la conservation, à l’entretien, à l’amélioration ou à l’utilisation des biens matrimoniaux durant le mariage qui, à mon avis, rendrait inéquitable leur répartition en parts égales.
Finalement, après avoir examiné la preuve, je ne suis pas convaincu qu’il y a eu une disparité flagrante dans la contribution des parties. […] Vu l’ensemble de la preuve, tout particulièrement la durée du mariage et les contributions de la requérante à
titre de personne au foyer, je suis d’avis que la répartition des biens matrimoniaux en parts égales en l’espèce ne serait pas inéquitable compte tenu des dispositions de l’article 7, susmentionné, pour les motifs qui précèdent. [par. 83 et 84] [27] Je suis convaincu que le juge du procès a appliqué les bons critères juridiques et qu’il n’a commis aucune erreur qui rendrait sa décision sur la répartition des biens matrimoniaux susceptible de modification en appel. D. Dépens [28] L’adjudication des dépens relève clairement, sans contredit, du juge de procès et ne devrait pas être modifiée à la légère en appel.
Cela dit, l’intervention du tribunal d’appel est indiquée lorsque les circonstances le justifient. [29] Le juge du procès a attribué des dépens considérables, compte tenu de la valeur modeste de l’actif matrimonial, sur le fondement suivant : [TRADUCTION] Quoique l’audition de la présente affaire n’a pris qu’une seule journée et que les réclamations contestées ne représentaient pas des sommes d’argent relativement importantes, la requérante a quand même eu gain de cause en ce qui concerne les questions les plus litigieuses soulevées dans les plaidoiries.
Par conséquent, elle a droit aux dépens malgré le fait que la demande reconventionnelle de l’intimé a été accueillie étant donné que le foyer matrimonial était le principal et premier élément d’actif contesté par les parties après la séparation.
Le tarif « A » de la règle 59 s’applique lorsque la répartition des biens matrimoniaux fait l’objet du litige (voir Rademaker c. Rademaker, 2002 NBCA 47, [2002] A.N.-B. no 218, au par. 28).
Dans le cas qui nous occupe, le jugement rendu en définitive était enfaveur de la requérante et s’élevait à trente mille huit cent cinquante dollars et cinquante cents (30 850,50 $) compte tenu d’une demandede répartition de biens ayant une valeur totale de cent soixante-neuf mille deux cents dollars (169 200 $), soit le foyer matrimonial de61 700 $ et les éléments d’actif exclus, c’est-à-dire le permis de pêche au homard, le bateau et les engins de pêche de 105 000 $ et lesbiens personnels de 2 500 $.
Par conséquent, l’échelle 1 du tarif « A » devrait être l’échelle minimale à appliquer au montant clé ou à la valeur totale des biensréclamés, soit 169 200 $. De plus, la cour doit établir un équilibre entre la position avancée par chacune des parties et les gains de chacune d’elles (voir Simms c. Simms, (NB CA), [1996] A.N.-B. no 570).
Quoique l’instruction de l’affaire n’a pris qu’une journée et que les questions n’étaient pas complexes, à l’exception du [TRADUCTION]« facteur temps » consistant en la période s’étant écoulée entre la date de la séparation et celle du procès, soit 35 ans, le[TRADUCTION] « facteur temps » a ajouté d’autres volets au calcul des valeurs, telles la prétendue dépréciation et les prétenduesaugmentations de valeur qui normalement n’auraient pas été prises en considération.
De plus, le refus de l’intimé de régler après la séparation certaines des questions fondamentales a contribué au retard dans l’instruction del’affaire. L’intimé a non seulement contesté toutes les réclamations de la requérante visant les biens matrimoniaux, mais il a égalementcontesté toutes les valeurs des biens en question. Comme je l’ai mentionné, j’ai préféré le témoignage de la requérante quand il était enconflit avec celui de l’intimé, y compris au sujet de la question de savoir si des tentatives de règlement avaient été entreprises.
Je suis convaincu que l’intimé a fait en sorte que la requérante n’avait pas d’autre choix que d’engager des poursuites afin de recevoir sapart des biens matrimoniaux. À mon avis, ce facteur ferait passer le calcul des dépens à l’échelle 3; toutefois, puisque l’intimé a eu gainde cause pour ce qui est de l’exclusion de son actif de pêche au homard, je vais utiliser l’échelle 2.
Par conséquent, l’intimé devra verser à la requérante, dans les dix prochains jours, des dépens de sept mille deux cent quatre-vingt-quatredollars (7 284 $), somme qui comprend les débours admissibles mais non la TVH (tarif « A », échelle 2, 5 900 $ pour le premier100 000 $ plus 2 % de l’excédent de 69 200 $, soit 1 384 $). [par. 93 à 99] [30] Comme l’a récemment fait remarquer notre Cour, dans l’arrêt Noel c.
Butler, 2016 NBCA 49, lefait d’inclure les dépens admissibles parmi les dépens constitue une erreur de droit : En termes clairs, inclure les débours parmi les dépens constitue une erreur, encore que ce soit pratique courante, j’en conviens, dans lesprocès de notre province. Les dépens et les débours, concepts distincts, ne doivent pas être amalgamés. Je fais mienne cette observationde la juge d’appel Quigg, dans Calvy : « [L]e fait de priver une
partie des débours raisonnables en les incluant dans les dépens constitueune erreur ». On pourra se reporter également à Slade c. Duguay, arrêt où notre Cour a constaté qu’il n’existait « aucun fondement pourrefuser à l’appelante le remboursement intégral de ses débours ». [par. 28] [31] Puisque le juge de première instance a commis une erreur dans son adjudication des dépens, ilest maintenant loisible à la Cour de fixer les dépens qu’elle estime justifiés dans les circonstances. J’ai déjà présenté un peu de contexteen ce qui a trait au permis de pêche au homard et au bateau plus haut dans les présents motifs.
Quoique c’est M. Knowles qui a saisi lejuge du procès de cette question, il n’y a jamais eu de question sérieuse à juger en ce qui concerne la propriété de ceux-ci et quant àsavoir si ces articles constituaient des biens matrimoniaux. Compte tenu de cette réalité, je ne suis pas à l’aise d’inclure la valeur dupermis de pêche au homard et du bateau dans le calcul du montant clé. [32] Par conséquent, j’annulerais l’ordonnance du juge du procès quant aux dépens et j’ordonnerais àla succession de M. Knowles de payer les dépens en première instance, de 3 500 $, plus les débours admissibles.
J’accepte les pointssoulevés par le juge du procès au sujet des répercussions négatives que les actes de M. Knowles ont eues sur le règlement du litige entreles parties. V. Conclusion et dispositif
[33] J’ordonnerais que l’intitulé de l’instance soit modifié afin de désigner appelante la « Succession de Gary Knowles, représentée par Joyce Blackett, exécutrice ». [34] Je rejetterais l’appel, sauf pour ce qui est des dépens que doit verser M. Knowles. J’accueillerais la
partie de l’appel ayant trait aux dépens, annulerais la décision du juge du procès et ordonnerais plutôt à la succession de M. Knowles de payer les dépens de première instance, lesquels se chiffrent maintenant à 3 500 $, plus les débours admissibles. [35] J’ordonnerais également à la Succession de M. Knowles de payer les dépens en appel, qui se chiffrent à 1 000 $, étant donné que les deux parties ont eu partiellement gain de cause. M me Knowles a eu en grande partie, mais pas entièrement, gain de cause en l’espèce.