2021 NBCA 5, 2021 NBCA 5
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 60-20-CA M.A.(L.)B. APPELLANT M.A.(L.)B. APPELANTE - and - - et - T.J.L. RESPONDENT T.J.L. INTIMÉ M.A.(L.)B. v. T.J.L., 2021 NBCA 5 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LaVigne M.A.(L.)B. c.
T.J.L., 2021 NBCA 5 CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: July 23, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 23 juillet 2020 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: January 20, 2021 Appel entendu : le 20 janvier 2021
Judgment rendered: February 11, 2021 Reasons delivered: March 25, 2021 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LaVigne Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Jugement rendu : le 11 février 2021 Motifs déposés : le 25 mars 2021 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Jacqueline Marie Boucher and Maria K. Powell For the respondent: Carley Jean Parish Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Jacqueline Marie Boucher et Maria K.
Powell Pour l’intimé : Carley Jean Parish THE COURT On February 11, 2021, the Court dismissed the appeal with costs of $2,500, with reasons to follow. These are the reasons . LA COUR Le 11 février 2021, la Cour a rejeté l’appel avec dépens de 2 500 $, les motifs devant suivre. Voici ces motifs. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LAVIGNE, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] The primary issue during a four-day trial before a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench was whether the mother, the primary caregiver of the parties’ two young children, daughters aged 9 and 6, would be permitted to relocate them from Saint John to New Denmark, New Brunswick, where the mother wished to move in order to live with her new partner, and her partner’s four sons, aged 12, 14, 14 and 15.
The trial judge issued an initial custody order under the Divorce Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 3 (2 nd Supp .), granting joint custody of the children to the parties, with primary residence with the mother provided she resided within 50 km of King’s Square, in Saint John. The mother appeals this decision, asking for the decision to be reversed such that she be permitted to relocate the children to New Denmark.
[2] The judge conducted his assessment of the best interests of the children in accordance with theprinciples set out by the Supreme Court in Gordon v. Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 S.C.R. 27, [1996] S.C.J. No. 52 (QL).Being of the view the judge delivered a sound decision that was not open to appellate intervention, on February 11, 2021, I joined mycolleagues in dismissing the appeal with costs of $2,500, with reasons to follow. These are those reasons. II. Factual Background [3] The parties, who are now divorced, married in 2006 and separated in April 2017. [4] The mother is 39 years of age.
In the past, she worked as a registered nurse but has not workedoutside the home since 2014 due to health issues. These issues began following the birth of her first child, in 2010. After the birth of hersecond child, her health deteriorated to a point where she was no longer able to continue her employment. She has been diagnosed withpsoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, and major depression, all of which require ongoing treatment.
Her income is comprised of CPP disabilitybenefits of approximately $14,000 per year, non-taxable long-term disability insurance benefits of approximately $17,000 per year,spousal support of $1,171 per month, and child support of $2,109 per month. [5] The father, who is 39 years of age, holds a Master of Business Administration. He works inSaint John for an Irving company. He earns an annual income of approximately $158,000 as a Program Manager and pays spousal andchild support, as indicated above. [6] Throughout the marriage, the mother was the primary caregiver and she oversaw thehousehold.
After the separation, by parental agreement, the children’s primary residence remained with the mother in the marital homeuntil it sold in May 2018. The mother and children then moved in with the maternal grandparents in their residence in Saint John, wherethey were still living at the time of the trial. [7] Following the separation, the father had access to his daughters on alternate weekends. Overtime, his involvement with the children increased.
At the time of the trial, the children enjoyed frequent and meaningful contact withtheir father including alternate weekends, one additional night per week, and additional time during school holidays. [8] The children have always resided in Saint John, where they attend school, participate inextracurricular activities, and have friends. They have a large extended family in the Saint John area including maternal and paternalgrandparents, aunts, uncles, and several cousins – including five female cousins, one of whom is the same age as the younger of the twochildren and attends the same school.
The children have close positive relationships with many members of their extended family. [9] By early 2018, both parties had entered stable, continuing relationships with new partners. Thefather’s partner lives with him in Saint John and works for an Irving company. The mother’s partner is a teacher. She has the primarycare of her four sons. They live in New Denmark, a rural community situated in the Northwestern part of the province, a 3.5-hour driveaway from Saint John.
The boys have a close relationship with their father, who lives in Grand Falls (a fifteen-minute drive away fromNew Denmark), and who has alternate weekend access to the boys. [10] In August 2018, a property large enough to accommodate the mother, her partner, and the sixchildren, was purchased in New Denmark with the financial help of the maternal grandmother, in whose name the property is registered.The blended family spent most of the 2018 summer holidays in New Denmark.
The father continued exercising his access in Saint John. [11] In August, the mother advised the father it was her intention to permanently relocate with thechildren to New Denmark and informed him the elder of the two daughters was registered to attend school there in the fall, and the otherdaughter would attend preschool in the area. III. History of Legal Proceedings
[ 12 ] The father immediately began proceedings under the Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2 , seeking an abridgment of time for service, joint and shared custody of the children on a week-on, week-off schedule, an order that the children not be relocated from the Saint John area, together with other relief.
In answer, the mother sought, amongst other relief, joint custody of the children, scheduled access for the father, and an order that the children be permitted to remain in New Denmark with her. [ 13 ] An interim order issued on September 6, 2018, ordering the children be returned to the Saint John area until the issue of their relocation could be heard and determined. In October 2018, the parties obtained a further order confirming the father’s scheduled access on alternate weekends and one evening during the week. The mother and the children continued to reside with the mother’s parents in Saint John.
However, when they were in the mother’s care, they spent most of the weekends and school holidays in New Denmark. [ 14 ] In March 2019, the mother sought permission to relocate the children with her to New Denmark at the end of the school year, but the motion was dismissed. [ 15 ] In July 2019, the father initiated divorce proceedings; therefore, the proceedings under the Family Services Act were stayed. He sought joint and shared custody of the children on a week-on, week-off
schedule and an order prohibiting the removal of the children from the greater Saint John area without the express consent of the other parent. The mother answered, seeking joint custody of the children, with their primary residence with her, and permission to relocate them to New Denmark. In the alternative, she sought an order for joint custody of the children, with their primary residence with her in the greater Saint John area. She proposed that the father continue to have access on alternate weekends and at all other reasonable times.
The divorce pleadings also included claims for child support, spousal support for the mother, and division of property and debts pursuant to the Marital Property Act , R.S.N.B. 2012, c. 107 . [ 16 ] In December 2019, the father brought a motion seeking access over the Christmas holidays from December 18, 2019 to 5:00 p.m. on December 25, 2019; his request was granted by consent order. [ 17 ] When the trial began on July 20, 2020, the only issue the trial judge was asked to adjudicate was the custody and access of the children, the primary issue being the mother’s request to relocate with the children to New Denmark.
The parties settled all other outstanding matters by consent. [ 18 ] The capacity of both parents to take care of their children was not seriously challenged. They each enjoy a warm and loving relationship with the children. Both could provide for the physical and emotional needs of the children and had a partner who had developed a positive relationship with the children and would help care for them. [ 19 ] Both parents had a parenting plan, including suitable accommodations for the children. The mother, who did not work outside the house, would generally be at home when the children returned from school.
The father and his partner usually worked outside the home, but, since the beginning of the pandemic, the father has frequently worked from home. He had planned after-school childcare with the children’s paternal grandparents in case this became necessary and obtained accommodations from his employer so that he could be more available for the children. [ 20 ] On the last day of trial, the judge delivered a detailed oral decision. He granted joint custody of the children to the parties and primary residence with the mother provided she resided within 50 km of King’s Square, in Saint John .
The father was granted access every other weekend. The order also provides that the children’s primary care is to be shared equally between the parties during the different school holidays. The mother can travel to New Denmark with the children on an unrestricted basis, during the weeks that she has their care during their summer vacation and “at other times, upon the agreement of the parties, which consent is not to be unreasonably withheld.” IV. Grounds of Appeal [ 21 ] The mother submits the trial judge:
1 […] erred in law or, in the alternative, in mixed fact and law, by not considering the wishes of the children as a component of theanalysis of their best interest required by
section 1 of the Family Services Act, S.N.B. 1980, c.
F-2.2, and international convention,including the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. 2 […] made an error in law in failing to afford the Appellant’s request with due respect and failing to consider the true impact that thechange in primary care from the Appellant to the Respondent would have on the children. 3 […] made a palpable and overriding error in his assessment of the evidence regarding the Appellant’s medical condition, availability ofmedical care, and the extent of her medical needs. 4 […] made an error in law in prejudging the merits of the case in advance of hearing all of the evidence to be tendered at Trial asevidenced by his commentary at the commencement of the first day of trial.
V. Standard of Review [22] Considerable deference must be given to trial judges when it comes to custodial determinations,including mobility rights, because of the fact-based and discretionary nature of the decisions as well as the importance of the appreciationof the facts by the judge. In addition, as observed by Bastarache J. in Van de Perre v. Edwards, 2001 SCC 60, [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014,“[f]inality is a significant consideration in child custody cases” (para. 13). This Court had occasion to consider the standard of review incases dealing with mobility rights in M.L.B. v. W.R.P., 2019 NBCA 63, [2019] N.B.J.
No. 211 (QL), where LeBlond J.A., writing for theCourt, stated: Trial or motion judges are always in the best position to assess evidence relating to a child’s best interests in any context, includingmobility. Appellate courts will not intervene in these determinations unless: (
a) The judge’s reasons demonstrate a manifest error; (
b) The judge has significantly misapprehended the “best interests” evidence; (
c) The judge has ignored relevant evidence; (
d) The judge has drawn palpable and overriding erroneous conclusions from the evidence. (See Vaughan v. Vaughan, 2014 NBCA 6, 415 N.B.R. (2d) 286; and K.G. v. K.M., 2019 NBCA 45, [2019] N.B.J. No. 145 (QL)). [para.22] [23] As pointed out by LeBlond J.A. in M.L.B.: While it will frequently be possible to argue a judge has given either too much or insufficient weight to any one of the factors to beconsidered, that alone does not alter the standard of review.
In the interest of promoting certainty in the law, deference must be given,particularly where the judge adequately explains his or her decision and, on the whole, comes to the correct conclusion. In the end, thejudge engages in an exercise of discretion which merits significant deference (Young v. Young, (ON CA), [2003] O.J.No. 67 (C.A.) (QL), per Laskin J.A.). [para. 23]
VI. Analysis [ 24 ] Although the guiding principle in mobility cases is clear – to find the scenario that is in the best interests of the children involved –, it often poses considerable difficulties in its application. [ 25 ] In Gordon , McLachlin J., as she then was, summarized the law that applies in the context of an application for variation of an existing custody and access order under the Divorce Act when a custodial parent wishes to change the residence of a child. In his reasons, the trial judge quoted the following parts of this
summary, which are applicable when assessing the best interests of the child within an initial determination of custody and access where the relocation of the child is also in issue: 2 […] the judge on the application must embark on a fresh inquiry into what is in the best interests of the child, having regard to all the relevant circumstances relating to the child’s needs and the ability of the respective parents to satisfy them. 3 […] 4 The inquiry does not begin with a legal presumption in favour of the custodial parent, although the custodial parent's views are entitled to great respect. 5 Each case turns on its own unique circumstances.
The only issue is the best interest of the child in the particular circumstances of the case. 6 The focus is on the best interests of the child, not the interests and rights of the parents. 7 More particularly the judge should consider, inter alia : (
a) the existing custody arrangement and relationship between the child and the custodial parent; (
b) the existing access arrangement and the relationship between the child and the access parent; (
c) the desirability of maximizing contact between the child and both parents; (
d) the views of the child; (
e) the custodial parent’s reason for moving, only in the exceptional case where it is relevant to that parent's ability to meet the needs of the child ; (
f) disruption to the child of a change in custody ; (
g) disruption to the child consequent on removal from family, schools, and the community he or she has come to know. [para. 49]
[ 26 ] The judge considered the impact of the move on the children. They would lose contact with their schoolmates and friends. Their father would not be able to see them during the school week nor attend their school or extracurricular activities.
Their relocation would dramatically decrease their exposure to their extended family, including their maternal and paternal grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins as well as the family’s three generations of friends in Saint John, and make it very difficult for family to attend special events in the children’s lives and vice-versa. [ 27 ] Due to the mother’s complicated health issues, the judge was worried about the mother’s ability to meet the children’s needs if the family relocated to New Denmark without their usual support systems, including the mother’s medical support network. [ 28 ] The trial judge was also concerned about the seven hours of driving the girls were doing every other weekend, travelling to and from New Denmark, and the stress and safety hazards associated with these trips, especially in the winter time; therefore, he prohibited them during the regular school year unless the parents agreed.
The judge’s intention was to minimize the travel time for the two children, and to maximize the time spent with both parents. [ 29 ] As this Court observed in M.L.B. , the approach in Gordon gives judges the “flexibility they need to apply the factors as they see fit within a context of inherently difficult circumstances” (para. 46). It is not our role to reassess the evidence heard by the trial judge. [ 30 ] The judge conducted a full inquiry into the best interests of the children, weighing and balancing every factor set out in Gordon that was relevant to the case before him .
In my opinion, he made no reversible error, nor did he come to a result that is clearly wrong. [ 31 ] I will nevertheless examine the four grounds of appeal raised by the mother. A. Views of the children [ 32 ] When determining the best interests of the child, his or her views are to be considered where he or she is old and mature enough, and such views can be reasonably ascertained. [ 33 ] One of the ways to ascertain the views of a child is for the parties to obtain a Voice of the Child assessment. In the present case, no assessment was obtained.
Several months prior to trial, the mother asked that such an assessment be conducted with the elder of the two daughters, but the father did not agree, stating he did not believe the assessment would reveal the child’s true views, as she was impressionable. [ 34 ] The mother did not file a motion seeking such an assessment prior to trial, nor did she ask the judge to order an assessment during the trial. However, on the third day of the trial, she asked the judge to exercise his judicial discretion to interview the children to determine their wishes.
By then, the father had closed his case, and the mother had already testified. The judge refused, expressing himself as follows: I’ve heard Mom explain how happy the girls are up in New Denmark […] I’ve heard Mom make it clear that the girls are happy with her […] I’ve heard it discussed he[re] earlier that Dad was opposed to a voice of the child […] I also know that the girls have been in the primary care of Mom for their entire lives […] I go back to Dr.
Gandy’s report – I don’t want to put any extra pressure on such young children […] And as for […] a young child to be put in the position of – of the one on one conversation – face to face – private interview with a Judge […] I don’t see that as appropriate in this case at all. [ 35 ] The trial continued. In his reasons, the judge acknowledged the court had to consider the views of the children and stated he had no doubt what those views were; the children wanted to stay with their mother, and they have fun in New Denmark.
However, he added: “I have no doubt that the girls are of an age where they’re not able to process all the nuances.”
[ 36 ] While the views of the child are relevant considerations, they are not determinative of the child’s best interests. [ 37 ] Although the judge had the jurisdiction to order a Voice of the Child assessment, he was not asked to do so, and ordering such an assessment is purely discretionary: L.D.M. v. J.K.D. , 2017 NBCA 47 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 259 (QL), at para. 15 . There is likewise no obligation on judges to carry out judicial interviews with children; it is a discretionary decision. Some judges make such orders, more often where the parties agree, and the children are older.
Before us, counsel agreed it is not commonly done. In my opinion, there was no error in the exercise of the judge’s discretion. [ 38 ] The trial judge considered the evidence presented to him concerning the children’s views. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B. Views of the primary caregiver and disruption to the child of a change in primary care [ 39 ] The mother submits her opinion about what was in the children’s best interests was treated as though it was irrelevant.
The judge correctly acknowledged that his inquiry, at the time of the hearing, did not begin with a legal presumption in favour of the custodial parent; however, he also aptly observed the custodial parent’s views were entitled to great respect. [ 40 ] The judge considered the benefits of living in New Denmark including the overall positive influence the partner had on the mother’s health and the advantage of having the mother’s partner present to assist with child rearing activities, particularly when the mother had difficult days due to her illnesses; the good times the children enjoyed while in New Denmark with the mother’s partner and her sons; and the increased affordability of purchasing a home with six bedrooms and four bathrooms as compared to the Saint John region. [ 41 ] The judge gave the views of the mother as the primary caregiver the degree of respect and consideration required; however, Parliament has placed the duty of ascertaining the best interests of the child on the judge.
He concluded the move was not in the children’s best interests. The evidence was weighed with the best interests of the children as the sole focus. [ 42 ] The mother asserts the trial judge erred in law because he failed to consider the true impact a change in primary care from the mother to the father would have on the children. While the judge did not specifically address criterion 7(
f) mentioned in Gordon , namely the “disruption to the child of a change in custody,” in the present case, a change in custody was not being considered. [ 43 ] A trial judge is not compelled to discuss each of the factors enumerated in Gordon : A.G. v. M.M. , 2018 NBCA 60 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 274 (QL), at para. 9 . He or she must weigh and balance the factors that are relevant to the case at hand. Therefore, in a situation where a judge gives an order which results in a change in the children’s primary caregiver, it would be an error in principle not to address this criterion.
This is not the situation faced by the judge. [ 44 ] The pleadings placed several issues before the court. However, at the beginning of the trial, it seemed clear the court was only being asked to adjudicate the custody/access issue, and more specifically the relocation issue. The father was not asking that the children’s primary caregiver be changed. In fact, during the first minutes of the hearing counsel for the father confirmed the children’s relocation was the only issue other than perhaps spousal support.
The trial judge specifically asked: “is the only issue this wrinkle about moving up north,” to which the father’s counsel answered: “It’s the main issue. There’s an issue of spousal support but […].” [ 45 ] This is not a situation where the judge asked the mother whether she would move without the children. The mother was seeking joint custody of the children with (1) their primary residence with her, and permission to relocate the children to New Denmark ; or, in the alternative, with (2) their primary residence with her in the greater Saint John area .
[ 46 ] The trial judge began the delivery of his reasons by reiterating the question before the court: “I’ll begin – in this divorce proceeding, the mother asks the Court to allow her to relocate the primary residence of the couples’ two young children from Saint John to New Denmark, New Brunswick.” Furthermore, the
preamble of the Final Order indicates: “And Whereas the parties appeared for a Trial commencing July 20, 2020, wherein the primary issue was the [mother’s] request to relocate with the children to New Denmark, New Brunswick, which was denied.” [ 47 ] The question was whether the children would be permitted to relocate to New Denmark. The option of their primary care being granted to their father was not an option the parties asked the judge to adjudicate.
This explains why the trial judge did not address this option, just as he did not address any of the other issues that were still before the court at the beginning of the hearing, but settled before the end of the trial. [ 48 ] The judge did consider the impact of the relocation on the children, by addressing criterion 7(g), the “disruption to the child consequent on removal from family, schools, and the community he or she has come to know”. In the circumstances of this case, this was the pertinent criterion. [ 49 ] In my opinion, the judge discharged his responsibility.
He conducted a proper analysis of the relevant factors and decided the best interests of the children would be better served by maintaining the status quo concerning their residence than by permitting them to move. His reasons were responsive to the live issues of the case and the parties’ key arguments. Therefore, I would dismiss this ground of appeal. C.
Assessment of the evidence regarding the mother’s health issues [ 50 ] The mother challenges the trial judge’s assessment of the evidence regarding her health issues and contends too much weight was accorded to this factor. [ 51 ] Much of the mother’s evidence at trial addressed her medical illnesses and the effects these had on her ability to work and function on a day-to-day basis. The mother submitted a detailed medical report, dated July 7, 2020, prepared by the family physician who has been caring for her in Saint John since 2013 and has come to know her well over the ensuing years.
He summarizes her condition as follows: [The mother] has complicated medical illness that includes multiple diagnoses, multiple treatments, multiple providers and remains a process in evolution.
The relevant diagnoses for [the mother], as relates to her disability, are psoriatric arthritis (seronegative spondyloarthropathy, inflammatory arthritis), fibromyalgia (chronic pain syndrome) and major depression. [ 52 ] In his report, the doctor reviews the mother’s medical file, discusses the complicated nature of her conditions and explains the different medications and multiple treatment trials, their effect on her, the specialists to whom he has referred her, and how her medical condition affects her day-to-day functions.
He concludes by saying he “cannot envision a sedentary work role that she would tolerate at this point” but adds he believes “there is a distinction between caring for a child and working at a job, if only […] that it provides short, segmented tasks that can be spaced apart with the ability to sit down, stand up, lay down and adjust with frequent breaks and pacing.” [ 53 ] The mother’s different illnesses are treated with various medications including intravenous infusions on a regular basis, periodic need for opiate analgesics, neuropathic pain agents, and cannabis oil.
Her medications make her susceptible to infection and cancer, cardiovascular issues, and liver issues. She has been experiencing progressively worsening chronic pain since 2010. On top of taking medication to relieve her pain, to maximize the treatments available to her, the mother sees a physiotherapist, a naturopath and a chiropractor. [ 54 ] When discussing the mother’s health issues, the trial judge quoted extensively from the mother’s testimony and the medical report submitted by her.
He concluded the evidence clearly showed the mother had serious health issues, required extensive medical support and such support was firmly established in Saint John. He was impressed with the care the mother was getting from her family physician and from the various specialists he had referred her to. While he did not doubt the mother’s ability to be the children’s primary caregiver in Saint John, he did have concerns about her continued ability to meet their needs in New Denmark, without the extended family support and medical support network the mother had developed in Saint John throughout the years.
He stressed the importance and positive aspect of these supports.
[ 55 ] Her complicated health issues impacted not only herself, but also the children and their future. The judge was worried about her dying while the girls were still young. He noted that, if something happened to the mother, the father had to be fully ready to assume the care of his daughters.
Keeping the children physically close to their father, thereby maximizing their potential contact, was certainly consistent with the children’s best interests in the particular circumstances of this case. [ 56 ] The “maximum contact” principle of s. 16(10) of the Divorce Ac t is mandatory, and the judge is obliged to respect it to the extent that such contact is consistent with the children’s best interests. [ 57 ] The mother’s health was an important part of the factual matrix the judge had to consider.
The trial judge’s concern for the mother’s capacity to tend to the needs of the children going forward is supported by the evidence. Notwithstanding her partner’s presence in New Denmark being a favourable impact on the mother’s ability to meet the needs of the children, the distance between the mother and her medical support team if the mother were to relocate to New Denmark with the children would be a negative factor in her ability to meet her children’s needs.
The judge granted the children’s primary care to the mother provided they remain in Saint John, close to the mother’s medical support network and close to the father should something happen to the mother. [ 58 ] The trial judge did not commit a reversible error in assessing the mother’s medical condition, availability of medical care, or extent of her medical needs. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. D.
Prejudgment of the merits of the case and bias [ 59 ] The mother asserts comments made by the judge at the commencement of the trial showed he had concluded beforehand that her partner’s boys were “nefarious hypersexualised teenaged boys” who threatened the girls’ safety, and this formed a bias that clouded the judge’s ability to make findings based solely on the evidence presented. She contends these comments meet the high threshold of reasonable apprehension of bias. [ 60 ] The onus of demonstrating bias lies with the one alleging it.
To establish a proceeding is vitiated because of a reasonable apprehension of bias, one must show the judge was influenced by his or her own beliefs, opinions or biases, to the extent he or she was unable to reach an independent conclusion. In Vautour et al. v. Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of New Brunswick et al. , 2021 NBCA 4 , [2021] N.B.J.
No. 18 (QL), this Court stated: The test for a reasonable apprehension of bias has been broadly accepted as that articulated by de Grandpré J., dissenting, in Committee for Justice and Liberty : […] “what would an informed person, viewing the matter realistically and practically–and having thought the matter through–conclude. Would he think that it is more likely than not that [the decision-maker], whether consciously or unconsciously, would not decide fairly.” [p. 394] […] The object of the bias test is to ensure not only the reality, but also the appearance of a fair adjudicative process.
Judges are required and expected to approach every case with impartiality and an open mind: Impartiality is “a state of mind in which the adjudicator is disinterested in the outcome and is open to persuasion by the evidence and submissions”; whereas bias “denotes a state of mind that is in some way predisposed to a particular result”: S. (R.D.) , at paras. 104-105[.] [ Bossé , at para. 7(1)] [paras. 41 and 43] [ 61 ] At the outset of the trial, the judge raised certain matters that troubled him, amongst them, the safety of the two young girls sharing a house with four teenage boys.
This concern had been flagged by the father in his pre-trial brief
where he stated he was “unaware if the girls ha[d] their own bedrooms in New Denmark or not or what their sleeping arrangements [were]” and he had “concerns about the children moving in with the [mother’s] partner’s four (4) teenaged sons.” [ 62 ] The judge advised the lawyers he would be looking for evidence on that topic. Here are the salient parts of his comments: I’ll tell you up front, that [I’d] be looking for real clarity, real evidence, and real proof that these two little girls would be completely safe.
I don’t mean to cast any aspersions towards those boys, I just know that the reality is that 15 and 14 year old boys tend to be hormone driven; […] the great challenge now for parenting boys of that age is all the porn that […] is so available to them on a click. And how parents can discourage bored boys […] I’m old enough to remember when boys actually wanted to stare at the lingerie ads in the Eaton’s catalogue. Well, it’s got worse.
And boys can’t help it and now a lot worse than the Eaton’s catalogue is clickable on any computer. […] I’m looking for real help on that issue about the safety of these […] girls with those boys. No disrespect to the boys and just that – what’s that expression: boys will be boys. I’m hung up about that.
And I would hope that your case will focus on that issue and give me comfort and that we won’t be in [a] situation where that’s just sort of something that’s left to sort of slough over. [ 63 ] While all judges bring their own perspective to the role of judging, a judge’s opinions about the nature of teenage boys add nothing to the analysis, are not based on evidence, and amount to conjecture. More specifically, gender stereotyping must be avoided. Had the trial judge based critical findings on personal views not grounded in evidence, this could have been fatal.
While some of the judge’s comments were unnecessary and inappropriate, they did not affect the results of the case and do not give rise to a reasonable apprehension of bias. [ 64 ] It is appropriate for judges to ask questions of counsel and make comments to encourage them to address specific concerns they may have. [ 65 ] During the trial, the mother admitted she also had reservations at first and she continues to look for anything suspicious.
She and her partner testified they were alive to the potential risks of the young girls and teenage boys living in the same house and had chosen the house in New Denmark partly because of its layout. The girls’ bedrooms and bathroom were located on the main floor, the same floor as the mother’s bedroom, while the boys had their bedrooms and bathroom in the basement. This assured that each child had their privacy and intimacy.
Furthermore, they had set up in the kitchen a video camera pointed towards the two girls’ bedroom door, so that they were able to keep watch over them. [ 66 ] In his reasons, the trial judge observed the layout of the house in New Denmark and active involvement of both the mother and her partner helped allay the concerns that had been raised, while noting there was still some concern, as evidenced by the continued monitoring.
As for the boys, he concluded, “they sound like great boys doing well in school.” [ 67 ] No cogent evidence was adduced to overcome the high threshold for displacing the presumption of impartiality. In my view, the reasonable, right-minded, informed person would neither view the judge’s comments, made at the outset of the trial, as expressing prejudgment of the mother’s case nor find in the circumstances any apprehension of bias, let alone a reasonable one. [ 68 ] The bases on which the judge concluded that the relocation of the children was not in their best interests were grounded in the evidence.
I would dismiss this ground of appeal. [ 69 ] Before concluding, I wish to deal with one other matter. In addition to the ground of appeal alleging the judge prejudged the matter due to his bias concerning teenage boys, the mother’s written submissions also suggest she was discriminated against due to her sexual orientation and her disability.
The first two sentences of the written submissions assert: “This case is important in that it provides this Honourable Court with the opportunity to address and strongly denounce structural discrimination that permeates through family law and is insidious in the Trial Judge’s analysis of the children’s best interest. The Appellant is a lesbian woman living with a disability.”
[70] There is no mention of the mother’s sexual orientation in the reasons. As for the mother’sdisability, the decision is child-centred, and a parent’s health is a factor to be assessed when considering that parent’s ability to meet theneeds of the child. The focus is on the best interests of the child, not the interests and rights of the parents. I find these claims devoid ofmerit. VII. Conclusion [71] In my opinion, there was no basis for appellate intervention. It is for these reasons that, onFebruary 11, 2021, I joined my colleagues in dismissing the appeal with costs of $2,500.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LAVIGNE I. Introduction [1] La question fondamentale en litige, au cours d’un procès de quatre jours tenu devant un juge dela Cour du Banc de la Reine, était de savoir s’il convenait d’autoriser la mère, la pourvoyeuse principale de soins des deux jeunes enfantsdes parties, âgées de 9 et 6 ans, à faire déménager ces dernières de Saint John à New Denmark, au Nouveau-Brunswick, où elle voulaits’installer avec sa nouvelle compagne et ses quatre fils, âgés de 12, 14, 14 et 15 ans.
Le juge de première instance a rendu une ordonnance de garde initiale, en application de la
Loi sur le divorce, L.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2e suppl.), par laquelle il accordait aux parties lagarde conjointe des enfants, celles-ci ayant leur résidence principale chez la mère, à la condition qu’elle réside dans un rayon de 50 kmdu carré King’s, à Saint John. La mère interjette appel de cette décision; elle demande son infirmation pour être autorisée à fairedéménager les enfants à New Denmark. [2] Le juge a évalué l’intérêt supérieur des enfants conformément aux principes énoncés par laCour suprême dans l’arrêt Gordon c. Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 R.C.S. 27, [1996] A.C.S. n° 52 (QL).
Le 11 février 2021,étant d’avis que le juge avait rendu une décision judicieuse non susceptible d’intervention en appel, je me suis jointe à mes collèguespour rejeter l’appel, avec dépens de 2 500 $, les motifs devant suivre. Voici ces motifs. II. Contexte factuel [3] Les parties, maintenant divorcées, se sont mariées en 2006 et séparées en avril 2017. [4] La mère est âgée de 39 ans. Elle a occupé le poste d’infirmière immatriculée dans le passémais, en raison de problèmes de santé, elle n’a plus travaillé à l’extérieur du foyer depuis 2014.
Ces problèmes ont débuté en 2010, aprèsla naissance de sa première enfant. Après la naissance de sa deuxième enfant, sa santé s’est détériorée au point qu’elle n’a plus été enmesure de travailler. Un diagnostic de polyarthrite psoriasique, de fibromyalgie et de dépression majeure a été établi, tous ces troublesrequérant un traitement suivi.
Les revenus de la mère sont constitués de prestations d’invalidité du RPC (environ 14 000 $ par année), deprestations d’assurance-invalidité à long terme non imposables (environ 17 000 $ par année), d’aliments matrimoniaux (1 171 $ par mois)et d’aliments pour enfants (2 109 $ par mois). [5] Le père, âgé de 39 ans, a une maîtrise en gestion des affaires. Il travaille pour une société Irvingà Saint John. Il tire un revenu annuel de 158 000 $, environ, de son emploi de gestionnaire de programme et, comme il est indiqué ci-
dessus, il verse des aliments matrimoniaux et des aliments pour enfants. [6] Pendant la durée du mariage, la mère a été la pourvoyeuse principale de soins des enfants et elle s’est occupée du ménage. Après la séparation, conformément à une entente entre les parents, les enfants ont continué d’avoir leur résidence principale chez la mère, au domicile matrimonial, jusqu’à ce qu’il soit vendu en mai 2018.
La mère et les enfants ont ensuite emménagé chez les grands-parents maternels à leur résidence de Saint John, et elles y vivaient toujours au moment du procès. [7] Après la séparation, le père a eu accès auprès de ses filles une fin de semaine sur deux. La participation du père dans la vie des enfants a cru avec le temps.
Au moment du procès, les enfants entretenaient des contacts fréquents et significatifs avec leur père – notamment une fin de semaine sur deux, une nuit de plus chaque semaine et du temps additionnel pendant les vacances scolaires. [8] Les enfants ont toujours habité à Saint John, où elles vont à l’école, participent à des activités parascolaires et ont des amis.
Plusieurs membres de leur famille élargie vivent à Saint John, y compris leurs grands-parents maternels et paternels, des oncles et des tantes ainsi que plusieurs cousins et cousines – elles ont notamment cinq cousines, dont l’une a le même âge que la cadette et fréquente la même école. Les enfants ont des liens solides et positifs avec de nombreux membres de leur famille élargie. [9] Au début de l’année 2018, tant la mère que le père avaient entamé une nouvelle relation stable et suivie. La compagne du père vit avec lui à Saint John et elle travaille pour une société Irving.
La compagne de la mère est enseignante. Elle est la pourvoyeuse principale de soins de ses quatre fils. La compagne et ses fils vivent à New Denmark, une collectivité rurale du nord-ouest de la province, à trois heures et demie de route de Saint John.
Les garçons ont une relation étroite avec leur père, qui habite à Grand-Sault (à quinze minutes en automobile de New Denmark) et qui a accès auprès d’eux une fin de semaine sur deux. [10] En août 2018, une propriété suffisamment grande pour y loger la mère, sa compagne et leurs six enfants a été achetée à New Denmark, avec l’aide pécuniaire de la grand-mère maternelle; la propriété est inscrite au nom de cette dernière. La famille reconstituée a passé presque toutes les vacances d’été à New Denmark en 2018.
Le père a continué d’exercer son droit d’accès à Saint John. [11] En août, la mère a informé le père qu’elle comptait déménager en permanence avec les enfants à New Denmark, que leur fille aînée y était inscrite à une école pour l’automne et que leur cadette allait participer à un programme préscolaire dans la région. III. Historique de la procédure judiciaire [12] Le père a immédiatement intenté une procédure en application de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2. Il sollicitait un abrègement du délai de signification, la garde conjointe et partagée des enfants en alternance hebdomadaire, une ordonnance interdisant le déménagement des enfants hors de la région de Saint John ainsi que d’autres mesures réparatoires.
En réponse, la mère a sollicité, entre autres mesures réparatoires, la garde conjointe des enfants, un droit d’accès pour le père, selon un calendrier, et une ordonnance autorisant les enfants à rester avec elle à New Denmark. [13] Par ordonnance provisoire rendue le 6 septembre 2018, il a été ordonné que les enfants reviennent dans la région de Saint John jusqu’à ce que la question de leur déménagement soit instruite et tranchée. En octobre 2018, les parties ont obtenu une nouvelle ordonnance confirmant le droit d’accès du père, devant être exercé une fin de semaine sur deux et un soir par semaine.
La mère et les enfants ont continué d’habiter chez les grands-parents maternels, à Saint John. Lorsque les enfants étaient confiées aux soins de leur mère, toutefois, elles ont passé presque toutes les fins de semaine et les vacances scolaires à New Denmark. [14] En mars 2019, la mère a demandé l’autorisation de déménager les enfants avec elle à New Denmark, à la fin de l’année scolaire, mais sa motion a été rejetée. [15] En juillet 2019, le père a introduit une instance en divorce; il y a donc eu suspension de la procédure engagée en application de la
Loi sur les services à la famille . Le père sollicitait la garde conjointe et partagée des enfants, en alternance hebdomadaire, et une ordonnance interdisant qu’un parent fasse sortir les enfants, sans le consentement exprès de l’autre, de
la région du grand Saint John. En réponse, la mère a sollicité la garde conjointe des enfants et elle a demandé que les enfants aient leur résidence principale chez elle et soient autorisées à déménager à New Denmark. Subsidiairement, elle a demandé une ordonnance prévoyant la garde conjointe des enfants et portant que les enfants avaient leur résidence principale chez elle dans la région du grand Saint John. La mère a proposé que le père continue d’avoir accès auprès des enfants une fin de semaine sur deux et à tout autre moment raisonnable.
Dans l’instance en divorce, on a aussi demandé des aliments pour enfants, des aliments matrimoniaux pour la mère et la répartition des biens et des dettes en application de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux , L.R.N.-B. 2012, ch. 107. [16] En décembre 2019, le père a sollicité par motion l’accès auprès des enfants pendant les fêtes de Noël, du 18 décembre 2019, à 17 h, jusqu’au 25 décembre 2019; une ordonnance par consentement a fait droit à cette demande. [17] Lorsque le procès a débuté, le 20 juillet 2020, le juge de première instance n’avait à se prononcer que sur la garde des enfants et sur le droit d’accès puisque la principale question en litige concernait la demande de la mère visant le déménagement des enfants à New Denmark.
Les parties ont réglé par consentement toutes les autres questions qui restaient en litige. [18] La capacité de l’un et l’autre parents de prendre soin des enfants n’a pas été sérieusement mise en cause. Tant la mère que le père ont une relation chaleureuse et aimante avec les enfants. Tous deux pouvaient répondre aux besoins physiques et affectifs des enfants, et avaient une compagne qui avait établi des liens positifs avec les enfants et qui aiderait à en prendre soin. [19] Les deux parents disposaient d’un plan de parentage, garantissant notamment que les enfants soient convenablement logées.
La mère, qui ne travaillait pas à l’extérieur du foyer, serait généralement à la maison au retour des enfants de l’école. Le père et sa compagne travaillaient généralement à l’extérieur du foyer mais, depuis le début de la pandémie, le père travaillait fréquemment à la maison. Le père avait prévu que les grands-parents paternels prendraient soin des enfants après l’école, au besoin, et il avait négocié avec son employeur des arrangements lui permettant d’être davantage disponible pour les enfants. [20] Le dernier jour du procès, le juge a rendu une décision détaillée de vive voix.
Il a accordé la garde conjointe des enfants aux parties, les enfants ayant leur résidence principale chez la mère, pourvu qu’elle habite dans un rayon de 50 km du carré King’s, à Saint John. Le père a obtenu l’accès une fin de semaine sur deux. L’ordonnance prévoyait aussi que, pendant les diverses vacances scolaires, les deux parties jouent à parts égales le rôle de pourvoyeur principal de soins des enfants.
La mère peut aller à New Denmark avec les enfants sans restriction, les semaines où elles sont confiées à ses soins au cours des vacances d’été; [TRADUCTION] « le reste du temps, elle peut le faire avec le consentement des parties, lequel consentement ne peut pas être déraisonnablement refusé ». IV.
Moyens d’appel [21] La mère soutient que le juge de première instance : [TRADUCTION] 1 […] a commis une erreur de droit ou, subsidiairement, une erreur mixte de fait et de droit, en ne prenant pas en considération les vœux des enfants lorsqu’il a effectué l’analyse de leur intérêt supérieur requise par l’article 1 de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch.
F-2.2, et les conventions internationales, notamment la Convention relative aux droits de l’enfant des Nations Unies. 2 […] a commis une erreur de droit en n’accordant pas le respect requis à la demande de l’appelante, et en faisant abstraction des répercussions véritables sur les enfants du transfert éventuel de l’appelante à l’intimé du rôle de pourvoyeur principal de soins. 3 […] a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante dans son évaluation de la preuve relative à l’état de santé de l’appelante, à l’importance de ses besoins médicaux et à la disponibilité des soins de santé. 4 […] a commis une erreur de droit en préjugeant du fond de l’affaire, avant d’avoir entendu toute la preuve devant être présentée au procès, comme en atteste le commentaire qu’il a formulé d’entrée de jeu le premier jour d’audience.
V. Norme de contrôle [22] Il faut faire preuve d’une grande déférence envers les décisions des juges de première instance enmatière de garde, en ce qui concerne notamment la liberté d’établissement, vu la nature factuelle et discrétionnaire de ces décisions etl’importance de l’appréciation des faits par le juge. De plus, tel que le juge Bastarache l’a fait remarquer dans l’arrêt Van de Perre c.Edwards, 2001 CSC 60, [2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014, « [l]a résolution définitive des litiges est, en matière de garde d’enfants, une considération[…] importante » (par. 13). Dans l’arrêt M.L.B. c.
W.R.P., 2019 NBCA 63, [2019] A.N.-B. n° 211 (QL), la Cour a eu l’occasiond’examiner la norme de contrôle applicable dans les affaires mettant en cause la liberté d’établissement; s’exprimant au nom de la Cour,le juge d’appel LeBlond a écrit ce qui suit : Les juges de première instance ou les juges saisis de motions sont toujours les mieux placés pour évaluer la preuve afférente à l’intérêtsupérieur de l’enfant dans tous les contextes, dont celui de la liberté d’établissement. Les cours d’appel n’interviendront dans cesconclusions que dans les cas suivants :
a) les motifs du juge révèlent une erreur manifeste;
b) le juge s’est livré à une interprétation considérablement erronée de la preuve afférente à « l’intérêt supérieur »;
c) le juge n’a pas tenu compte d’un élément de preuve pertinent;
d) le juge a tiré de la preuve des conclusions erronées constituant des erreurs manifestes et dominantes. (Voir Vaughan c. Vaughan, 2014 NBCA 6, 415 R.N.-B. (2e) 286; et K.G. c. K.M., 2019 NBCA 45, [2019] A.N.-B. n° 145 (QL).)[par. 22] [23] Dans l’arrêt M.L.B., le juge d’appel LeBlond a aussi formulé la remarque suivante : Bien qu’on puisse soutenir dans de nombreux cas qu’un juge a accordé trop ou pas assez de poids à l’un quelconque des facteurs àprendre en compte, ce seul fait ne change pas la norme de contrôle applicable.
Dans le but d’assurer la certitude du droit, il faut fairepreuve de déférence, plus particulièrement lorsque le juge explique suffisamment sa décision et, dans l’ensemble, parvient à la bonneconclusion. En définitive, le juge procède à un exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire qui mérite une grande déférence (Young c. Young, (ON CA), [2003] O.J. No. 67 (C.A.) (QL), le juge d’appel Laskin). [par. 23] VI.
Analyse [24] Bien que le principe fondamental soit clair dans les affaires traitant de liberté d’établissement– déterminer quelle situation est dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants –, son application, toutefois, soulève souvent d’importants défis. [25] Dans l’arrêt Gordon, la juge McLachlin (tel était alors son titre) a résumé le droit applicablelorsque, dans le cadre d’une requête en modification d’une ordonnance relative à la garde et à l’accès déjà rendue en application de laLoi sur le divorce, un parent gardien veut modifier le lieu de résidence d’un enfant.
Dans ses motifs, le juge de première instance a citéles passages suivants de ce résumé, applicables lorsqu’il s’agit d’évaluer l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant aux fins de la décision initiale enmatière de garde et d’accès et que la question du déménagement de l’enfant est aussi en litige : 2 […] le juge qui entend la requête doit de nouveau déterminer l’intérêt de l’enfant en tenant compte de toutes les circonstancespertinentes relativement aux besoins de l’enfant et à la capacité de chacun des parents d’y pourvoir.
3 […] 4 L’analyse ne repose pas sur une présomption légale favorable au parent gardien, bien qu’il faille accorder un grand respect à l’opinion de ce dernier. 5 Chaque cas dépend de ses propres circonstances. L’unique facteur est l’intérêt de l’enfant dans les circonstances de l’affaire. 6 L’accent est mis sur l’intérêt de l’enfant et non sur l’intérêt et les droits des parents. 7 Plus particulièrement, le juge devrait tenir compte notamment des éléments suivants :
a) l’entente de garde déjà conclue et la relation actuelle entre l’enfant et le parent gardien;
b) l’entente déjà conclue sur le droit d’accès et la relation actuelle entre l’enfant et le parent qui exerce ce droit;
c) l’avantage de maximiser les contacts entre l’enfant et les deux parents;
d) l’opinion de l’enfant;
e) la raison pour laquelle le parent gardien déménage, uniquement dans le cas exceptionnel où celle-ci a un rapport avec la capacité du parent de pourvoir aux besoins de l’enfant;
f) la perturbation que peut causer chez l’enfant une modification de la garde;
g) la perturbation que peut causer chez l’enfant l’éloignement de sa famille, des écoles et du milieu auxquels il s’est habitué. [par. 49] [26] Le juge a tenu compte des répercussions du déménagement sur les enfants. Les enfants perdraient contact avec leurs camarades de classe et leurs amis. Leur père ne pourrait pas les voir pendant la semaine d’école, ni assister à leurs activités scolaires et parascolaires.
En raison du déménagement, elles verraient beaucoup moins les membres de leur famille élargie, notamment leurs grands-parents maternels et paternels et leurs tantes, oncles et cousins, ainsi que trois générations d’amis de la famille habitant à Saint John.
Il serait aussi très difficile pour les membres de la famille d’assister aux événements spéciaux marquant la vie des enfants, et inversement. [27] Le juge s’inquiétait du fait que la mère, vu ses problèmes de santé complexes, ne puisse satisfaire aux besoins des enfants en cas de déménagement de la famille à New Denmark, qui serait alors privée de ses structures d’entraide habituelles, notamment le réseau de soutien médical de la mère. [28] Le juge de première instance s’inquiétait aussi de l’aller-retour de sept heures, entre Saint John et New Denmark, que les enfants devraient faire une fin de semaine sur deux, ainsi que du stress et des risques d’accident liés à ces trajets, particulièrement l’hiver.
Le juge a donc interdit ces déplacements pendant l’année scolaire normale, sauf du consentement des parents. Il visait à réduire le temps consacré par les deux enfants aux déplacements, et à faire passer aux enfants le plus de temps possible avec les deux parents. [29] Comme la Cour l’a souligné dans M.L.B. , la démarche prescrite dans l’arrêt Gordon laisse aux
juges « la latitude dont ils ont besoin pour appliquer les facteurs comme ils le jugent opportun dans un contexte empreint de circonstances en elles-mêmes difficiles » (par. 46). Notre rôle n’est pas d’évaluer à nouveau la preuve entendue par le juge de première instance au procès. [30] Le juge a analysé en détail la question de l’intérêt supérieur des enfants; il a soupesé chaque facteur énoncé dans Gordon qui était pertinent aux fins de l’affaire.
À mon avis, il n’a commis aucune erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision, et n’en est pas arrivé à un résultat clairement erroné. [31] Je me pencherai néanmoins sur les quatre moyens d’appel soulevés par la mère . A. Opinion des enfants [32] Lorsqu’il s’agit de déterminer l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant, il convient de prendre son opinion en compte lorsqu’il est suffisamment âgé et a assez de maturité, et qu’il est raisonnablement possible de la connaître. [33] En vue de connaître l’opinion d’un enfant, les parties peuvent notamment obtenir une évaluation relative à la parole de l’enfant.
En l’espèce, une telle évaluation n’a pas été obtenue. Plusieurs mois avant le procès, la mère a demandé que l’on soumette l’aînée des enfants à une telle évaluation, mais le père s’y est opposé, disant ne pas croire que l’évaluation révélerait l’opinion véritable de l’enfant, jugée trop influençable. [34] La mère n’a pas demandé par motion qu’une telle évaluation soit faite avant la tenue du procès, ni n’a sollicité du juge, pendant le procès, qu’il en ordonne une.
Le troisième jour du procès, toutefois, elle a demandé au juge d’avoir un entretien avec les enfants, dans l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire, en vue de connaître leur opinion. À ce stade, le père avait clos sa preuve et la mère avait déjà témoigné.
Le juge a refusé la demande de la mère, en ces termes : [TRADUCTION] J’ai entendu la mère expliquer combien les filles étaient heureuses à New Denmark. […] J’ai entendu la mère exprimer clairement que les filles sont heureuses avec elle. […] J’ai entendu dire [ici] plus tôt que le père s’opposait à ce qu’on réalise une évaluation relative à la parole de l’enfant. […] Je sais aussi que la mère a été la pourvoyeuse principale de soins pendant toute la vie des filles. […] J’en reviens au rapport de la D re Gandy – je ne veux soumettre de si jeunes enfants à aucune autre pression additionnelle. […] Quant au fait […] de placer une jeune enfant en situation – une conversation seul à seul, en face à face – d’entretien privé avec un juge, […] je n’estime cela aucunement opportun dans ce cas. [35] Le procès s’est poursuivi.
Dans ses motifs, le juge a reconnu que la cour devait tenir compte de l’opinion des enfants, et il a dit savoir, sans le moindre doute, quelle était cette opinion : les enfants voulaient demeurer avec leur mère et elles avaient du plaisir à New Denmark.
Il a ajouté, cependant : [TRADUCTION] « Je suis convaincu que, à leur âge, les filles ne sont pas en mesure de saisir toutes les nuances ». [36] Quoique l’opinion de l’enfant soit un facteur pertinent, il n’est pas déterminant pour décider de son intérêt supérieur. [37] Bien que le juge ait eu compétence pour ordonner une évaluation relative à la parole de l’enfant, une telle ordonnance est strictement discrétionnaire, et il ne lui a pas été demandé d’en rendre une ( L.D.M. c. J.K.D. , 2017 NBCA 47 , [2017] A.N.-B. n° 259 (QL), par. 15).
Les juges ne sont pas tenus, non plus, de soumettre eux-mêmes les enfants à un entretien; une telle décision est aussi discrétionnaire. Certains juges rendent des ordonnances en ce sens, le plus souvent lorsque les parties y consentent et que les enfants sont plus âgés. Les avocates ont convenu devant nous que cela n’était pas courant. À mon avis, le juge n’a commis aucune erreur dans l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire. [38] Le juge de première instance a tenu compte de la preuve qui lui a été présentée au sujet de l’opinion des enfants. Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel.
B. Opinion de la pourvoyeuse principale de soins et perturbation que peut causer chez l’enfant un changement dans le rôle de pourvoyeur [39] La mère soutient que le juge a traité son opinion sur l’intérêt supérieur des enfants comme si elle n’était pas pertinente. À l’audience, le juge a reconnu à juste
titre que son analyse ne reposait pas sur une présomption légale favorable au parent gardien; cependant, il a aussi fait judicieusement observer qu’il fallait accorder un grand respect à l’opinion de ce dernier. [40] Le juge a pris en compte les avantages d’un déménagement à New Denmark.
Notamment, il y avait l’effet positif général sur la santé de la mère de la présence de sa compagne, et l’aide susceptible d’être apportée par la compagne dans l’éducation des enfants, particulièrement pendant les jours rendus plus difficiles par les problèmes de santé de la mère; les bons moments vécus par les enfants à New Denmark avec la compagne de la mère et ses fils; l’achat plus abordable à New Denmark que dans la région de Saint John d’une maison comptant six chambres et quatre salles de bains. [41] Le juge a accordé à l’opinion de la mère, en tant que pourvoyeuse principale de soins, le respect et la considération requis; toutefois, le législateur a confié au juge la tâche d’évaluer l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant.
Or, le juge a conclu que le déménagement n’était pas dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants. Dans l’appréciation de la preuve, il a mis uniquement l’accent sur cet intérêt. [42] La mère affirme que le juge de première instance a commis une erreur de droit en faisant abstraction des répercussions véritables sur les enfants de tout changement, entre elle et le père, du rôle de pourvoyeur principal de soins.
Bien que le juge n’ait pas traité expressément du critère 7f) mentionné dans l’arrêt Gordon – « la perturbation que peut causer chez l’enfant une modification de la garde » – il n’était pas question d’une modification de la garde en l’espèce. [43] Les juges de première instance ne sont pas contraints d’analyser chacun des facteurs énumérés dans l’arrêt Gordon ( A.G. c. M.M. , 2018 NBCA 60 , [2018] A.N.-B. n° 274 (QL), par. 9.) Les juges soupèsent et pondèrent tous les facteurs pertinents dans l’affaire.
Par conséquent, lorsqu’un juge rend une ordonnance entraînant un changement dans le rôle de pourvoyeur principal de soins, il commettrait une erreur de principe s’il ne traitait pas de ce critère. Le juge n’était pas saisi d’une telle situation en l’espèce. [44] Plusieurs questions ont été soumises à la cour dans les plaidoiries. Au début du procès, toutefois, il est apparu clairement qu’il était seulement demandé à la cour de trancher la question de la garde et de l’accès, et plus précisément la question du déménagement.
Le père ne demandait pas un changement dans le rôle de pourvoyeur principal de soins des enfants. Dès les premières minutes d’audience, de fait, l’avocate du père a confirmé que la question du déménagement des enfants était la seule en litige, à part peut-être celle des aliments matrimoniaux. Le juge de première instance a expressément demandé : [TRADUCTION] « [C]e problème du déménagement vers le nord est-il la seule question en litige? » L’avocate du père a répondu : [TRADUCTION] « C’est la principale question en litige.
Il y a la question des aliments matrimoniaux, mais […] ». [45] Il ne s’agit pas d’une situation où le juge aurait demandé à la mère si elle voulait déménager sans les enfants.
La mère sollicitait la garde conjointe des enfants et demandait (1) qu’elles aient leur résidence principale chez elle, et soient autorisées à déménager à New Denmark ou, subsidiairement, (2) qu’elles aient leur résidence principale chez elle dans la région du grand Saint John . [46] Lors du prononcé de ses motifs, le juge de première instance a d’abord réitéré la question dont la cour était saisie : [TRADUCTION] « Commençons – dans la présente instance en divorce, la mère demande à la Cour de l’autoriser à transférer de Saint John à New Denmark, au Nouveau-Brunswick, le lieu de résidence principal des deux jeunes enfants du couple ».
De plus, dans le préambule de l’ordonnance définitive, il est mentionné : [TRADUCTION] « Et attendu que les parties ont comparu à un procès ayant débuté le 20 juillet 2020, dans lequel la principale question en litige était la demande [de la mère] visant son déménagement avec les enfants à New Denmark, au Nouveau-Brunswick, cette demande ayant été rejetée ». [47] La question était de savoir si les enfants devaient être autorisées à déménager à New Denmark. Les parties n’ont pas demandé au juge de première instance de se prononcer sur la possibilité que le père devienne leur principal pourvoyeur de soins.
C’est la raison pour laquelle le juge n’a pas examiné cette possibilité, comme il n’a examiné aucune autre question dont la cour était toujours saisie au début de l’audience, mais qui avait été réglée avant la fin du procès.
[48] Le juge a bel et bien tenu compte des répercussions du déménagement sur les enfants, en traitant du critère 7g), soit « la perturbation que peut causer chez l’enfant l’éloignement de sa famille, des écoles et du milieu auxquels il s’est habitué ». Il s’agissait du critère pertinent en l’espèce. [49] À mon avis, le juge s’est acquitté de sa responsabilité. Il a analysé correctement les facteurs pertinents et a déterminé qu’il serait plus conforme à l’intérêt supérieur des enfants de ne pas modifier leur lieu de résidence que de les autoriser à déménager.
Ses motifs répondaient aux questions en litige et aux principaux arguments des parties. Je suis donc d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. C. Évaluation de la preuve relative à la santé de la mère [50] La mère conteste l’évaluation de la preuve concernant ses problèmes de santé faite par le juge de première instance. Elle estime qu’il a attaché une trop grande importance à ce facteur. [51] Une bonne
partie de la preuve de la mère au procès portait sur ses maladies et leurs effets sur sa capacité de travailler et de fonctionner au quotidien. La mère a produit un rapport médical détaillé, daté du 7 juillet 2020, établi par le médecin de famille qui la traite à Saint John depuis 2013 et qui en est venu, avec les années, à bien la connaître. Le médecin a résumé ainsi l’état de santé de la mère : [TRADUCTION] [La mère] a des problèmes de santé complexes, qui comportent de nombreux diagnostics, traitements et fournisseurs de soins, et qui demeurent en évolution constante.
Les diagnostics pertinents quant à l’incapacité de [la mère] sont : polyarthrite psoriasique (spondylarthropathie séronégative, arthrite inflammatoire), fibromyalgie (syndrome de douleur chronique) et dépression majeure. [52] Dans son rapport, le médecin passe en revue le dossier médical de la mère, traite de la nature complexe de ses maladies et explique les différents médicaments prescrits et les multiples essais de traitement effectués ainsi que leurs effets sur sa patiente.
Il mentionne aussi les spécialistes vers lesquels il a dirigé la mère et les répercussions de ses problèmes de santé sur ses activités quotidiennes.
Le médecin indique pour conclure qu’il ne peut [TRADUCTION] « imaginer un type de travail sédentaire qu’elle puisse tolérer à ce stade », mais il ajoute que, à son avis, [TRADUCTION] « il existe une distinction entre le fait de prendre soin d’une enfant et d’occuper un emploi, ne serait-ce […] qu’il s’agit, dans le premier cas, de petites tâches segmentées qui peuvent être réparties et qui permettent de s’asseoir, de se tenir debout, de s’allonger et de s’adapter en prenant des arrêts fréquents et en travaillant à son propre rythme ». [53] Divers médicaments sont utilisés pour le traitement des différentes maladies de la mère, notamment des infusions intraveineuses, régulièrement, ainsi que des analgésiques opiacés, des médicaments contre la douleur neuropathique et de l’huile de cannabis, à l’occasion.
La mère est plus susceptible, en prenant ces médicaments, d’avoir des infections, le cancer et des problèmes cardiovasculaires et hépatiques. Les douleurs chroniques ressenties par la mère se sont aggravées graduellement depuis 2010. En plus de prendre des médicaments pour contrer la douleur, la mère recourt à des services de physiothérapie, de naturopathie et de chiropratique pour renforcer l’efficacité de ses traitements. [54] Lorsqu’il a traité des problèmes de santé de la mère, le juge de première instance a abondamment cité le témoignage de celle-ci et le rapport médical qu’elle a produit.
Le juge a conclu qu’il ressortait clairement de la preuve que la mère avait de graves problèmes de santé, qu’elle avait grand besoin de soutien médical et que le soutien offert à Saint John reposait sur des assises solides. Le juge était impressionné par les soins dispensés à la mère par son médecin de famille et les divers spécialistes auxquels il l’avait adressée.
Alors que le juge ne doutait pas de la capacité de la mère d’être la pourvoyeuse principale de soins des enfants à Saint John, il se demandait si elle pouvait continuer de répondre à leurs besoins à New Denmark, sans l’aide de sa famille élargie et du réseau de soutien médical qu’elle avait tissé à Saint John au fil des ans. Le juge a insisté sur l’importance de ce soutien et sur ses aspects positifs. [55] Les problèmes de santé complexes de la mère avaient des répercussions, non seulement sur elle, mais aussi sur les enfants et leur avenir.
Le juge s’inquiétait de l’éventualité du décès de la mère pendant que les enfants étaient encore jeunes. Il a souligné que, si quelque chose devait arriver à la mère, le père devait être prêt à assumer pleinement la charge de ses filles. Faire en sorte que les enfants et le père habitent à courte distance, et aient ainsi le plus de contact possible entre eux, était assurément
compatible avec l’intérêt supérieur des enfants dans les circonstances de l’espèce. [56] Le principe du « maximum de communication » énoncé au par. 16(10) de la
Loi sur le divorce est impératif, et le juge est tenu de le respecter dans la mesure où le contact est compatible avec le propre intérêt des enfants. [57] La santé de la mère comptait parmi les faits importants dont le juge devait tenir compte. La preuve étaye les préoccupations du juge de première instance quant à la capacité de la mère de satisfaire à l’avenir aux besoins des enfants.
Même si la présence de la compagne à New Denmark renforçait la capacité de la mère de répondre aux besoins des enfants, la distance entre celle-ci et son équipe de soutien médical, si elle devait y déménager avec les enfants, allait entraver cette capacité.
Le juge a confié à la mère le rôle de pourvoyeuse principale de soins des enfants, à la condition qu’elles demeurent à Saint John, près du réseau de soutien médical de la mère et près du père, si quelque chose devait arriver à celle-ci. [58] L’évaluation par le juge de première instance de l’état de santé de la mère, de l’étendue de ses besoins médicaux et de la disponibilité de soins médicaux n’était entachée d’aucune erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision. Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. D.
Préjuger du fond de l’affaire et partialité [59] La mère affirme que des commentaires formulés par le juge de première instance au début du procès révélaient qu’il avait conclu au préalable que les fils de sa compagne étaient des [TRADUCTION] « adolescents hypersexualisés mal intentionnés » qui menaçaient la sécurité des filles et qu’une telle partialité rendait le juge moins apte à tirer des conclusions fondées uniquement sur la preuve présentée. Avec ces commentaires, soutient la mère, on franchit le seuil élevé nécessaire pour établir la crainte raisonnable de partialité. [60] Il incombe à la
partie qui allègue la partialité de la démontrer. Pour établir qu’une instance est viciée par une crainte raisonnable de partialité, il faut démontrer que le juge était influencé par ses propres croyances, opinions et préjugés, dans une mesure telle qu’il était incapable de tirer une conclusion indépendante . Dans l’arrêt Vautour et autre c.
Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et autre , 2021 NBCA 4 , [2021] A.N.-B. n° 18 (QL), la Cour a déclaré ce qui suit : Le critère à appliquer dans le cas d’une crainte raisonnable de partialité est accepté, de façon générale, comme celui décrit par le juge de Grandpré, juge dissident dans l’arrêt Committee for Justice and Liberty : […] « à quelle conclusion en arriverait une personne bien renseignée qui étudierait la question en profondeur, de façon réaliste et pratique.
Croirait-elle que, selon toute vraisemblance, [le décideur], consciemment ou non, ne rendra pas une décision juste? » [P. 394] […] Le critère permettant d’établir la partialité a pour but d’assurer non seulement l’existence, mais aussi l’apparence d’un processus décisionnel juste.
Les juges doivent et sont censés aborder toute affaire avec impartialité et ouverture d’esprit : L’impartialité est « l’état d’esprit de l’arbitre désintéressé eu égard au résultat et susceptible d’être persuadé par la preuve et les arguments soumis », alors que la partialité « dénote un état d’esprit prédisposé de quelque manière à un certain résultat ou fermé sur certaines questions » : S. (R.D.) , aux par. 104 et 105[.] [ Bossé , par. 7(1)] [par. 41 et 43] [61] Au début du procès, le juge a mentionné diverses questions qui le préoccupaient, dont la sécurité de deux petites filles vivant dans la même maison que quatre adolescents.
Le père avait soulevé le problème en indiquant dans son mémoire préparatoire qu’il [TRADUCTION] « ignor[ait] si les filles dispos[ai]ent de leurs propres chambres à New Denmark, et ce qu’il en [étai]t de l’organisation des couchers » et qu’il s’inquiétait [TRADUCTION] « de la cohabitation des enfants avec les quatre fils adolescents de la compagne de [la mère] ».
[62] Le juge a informé les avocates des parties qu’il souhaitait disposer d’éléments de preuve à ce sujet. Voici les points saillants de ses commentaires : [TRADUCTION] Je vous dis d’entrée de jeu que je [voudrais] de la clarté, de la preuve et des éléments concrets montrant que ces deux petites filles seraient en parfaite sécurité. Je n’entends pas dénigrer ces garçons; je sais seulement que, dans les faits, les garçons de 14 et 15 ans tendent à être menés par leurs hormones […].
Le grand défi lorsqu’on est parent de garçons de cet âge vient de toute la pornographie […] à leur disposition d’un seul clic, et de savoir comment l’on peut dissuader des garçons qui s’ennuient […]. Je suis assez vieux pour me rappeler du temps où les garçons voulaient dévorer du regard la publicité pour lingerie dans le catalogue Eaton. Eh bien, c’est pire maintenant. Les garçons n’y peuvent rien et, d’un clic sur l’ordinateur, ils peuvent voir bien pire que le catalogue Eaton. […] Je veux vraiment être éclairé sur cette question de la sécurité de ces […] filles avec ces garçons.
Sans manquer de respect pour les garçons, c’est simplement que – comme le veut l’expression : les garçons seront toujours des garçons. Cette question me tenaille. J’aimerais que vous mettiez l’accent sur celle-ci, dans votre preuve, et puissiez me rassurer, et que nous n’en arrivions pas à tout simplement laisser cet élément de côté. [63] Bien que chaque juge apporte à son rôle sa propre perspective, ses opinions sur la nature des adolescents n’ajoutent rien à l’analyse, ne s’appuient pas sur la preuve et relèvent de la conjecture. Il faut éviter, tout particulièrement, le stéréotypage fondé sur le sexe.
Si des conclusions essentielles du juge de première instance s’étaient fondées sur des vues personnelles non étayées par la preuve, cela aurait pu être fatal.
Quoique certains commentaires du juge n’étaient ni utiles ni opportuns, ils n’ont pas influé sur l’issue de l’affaire et ne soulèvent pas une crainte raisonnable de partialité. [64] Il est opportun pour les juges de poser des questions aux avocats et de chercher à les inciter, par leurs commentaires, à aborder certains points pouvant les préoccuper. [65] Au procès, la mère a admis qu’elle aussi nourrissait des doutes au départ et qu’elle continuait de s’assurer que rien de suspect ne survienne.
Dans leurs témoignages, la mère et sa compagne ont dit qu’elles avaient conscience des risques possibles associés à la cohabitation des jeunes filles avec les adolescents, et qu’elles avaient choisi la maison de New Denmark en
partie en raison de sa configuration. Les chambres et la salle de bains des filles étaient situées au rez-de-chaussée, comme la chambre de la mère, tandis que les chambres et la salle de bains des garçons étaient situées au sous-sol. Cela assurait à chaque enfant le respect de son intimité.
La mère et sa compagne avaient aussi fait installer dans la cuisine, à des fins de surveillance, une caméra vidéo pointant en direction de la porte de chambre des filles. [66] Dans ses motifs, le juge de première instance a souligné que la configuration de la maison de New Denmark et le rôle actif joué par la mère et sa compagne aidaient à dissiper les inquiétudes exprimées, tout en relevant que certaines préoccupations demeuraient, cependant, comme en attestait le maintien d’une surveillance.
Quant aux garçons, le juge a conclu qu’ils donnaient [TRADUCTION] « l’impression d’être de bons garçons qui réussissent bien à l’école ». [67] Aucune preuve forte n’a été présentée qui aurait franchi le seuil élevé nécessaire pour réfuter la présomption d’impartialité.
À mon avis, la personne raisonnable, informée et objective n’aurait pas estimé que les commentaires du juge, formulés au début du procès, indiquaient qu’il jugeait d’avance la cause de la mère et n’aurait pas conclu non plus, dans les circonstances, qu’il existait une crainte de partialité, encore moins une crainte raisonnable de partialité. [68] La preuve étayait les raisons pour lesquelles le juge a conclu que le déménagement des enfants n’était pas conforme à leur intérêt supérieur. Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. [69] J’aimerais traiter d’une autre question avant de conclure.
Dans le mémoire de la mère, en plus d’avancer comme moyen d’appel que le juge avait préjugé de l’affaire en se montrant partial à l’endroit des adolescents, on laisse aussi entendre que la mère avait fait l’objet de discrimination en raison de son orientation sexuelle et de son incapacité.
Le mémoire débute par les deux phrases suivantes : [TRADUCTION] « La présente affaire est importante puisqu’elle offre à l’honorable Cour l’occasion d’aborder et de dénoncer énergiquement une discrimination structurelle qui imprègne le droit de la famille et qui colore insidieusement l’analyse par le juge de première instance de l’intérêt supérieur des enfants. L’appelante est lesbienne et elle souffre d’une incapacité ».
[70] L’orientation sexuelle de la mère n’est jamais mentionnée dans les motifs. Quant à l’incapacité de la mère, la décision est axée sur les enfants, et la santé d’un parent est un facteur à prendre en compte dans l’évaluation de sa capacité de répondre aux besoins de l’enfant. L’accent est mis sur l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant et non sur l’intérêt et les droits des parents. J’estime ces prétentions dénuées de fondement. VII. Conclusion [71] À mon avis, rien ne justifie l’intervention en appel. C’est pour les motifs qui précèdent que, le 11 février 2021, je me suis jointe à