2021 NBCA 20, 2021 NBCA 20
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 42-20-CA NANCY SAVOIE APPELLANT NANCY SAVOIE APPELANTE - and - - et - CHARLES SAVOIE RESPONDENT CHARLES SAVOIE INTIMÉ Savoie v. Savoie, 2021 NBCA 20 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LeBlond Savoie c.
Savoie, 2021 NBCA 20 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 24, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 24 avril 2020 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2020 NBQB 132 Décision frappée d’appel : 2020 NBBR 132 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: January 14, 2021 Appel entendu : le 14 janvier 2021 Judgment rendered: April 29, 2021 Jugement rendu : le 29 avril 2021
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: Nancy Savoie on her own behalf For the respondent: Guy Dumas, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l’audience : Nancy Savoie en son propre nom Pour l’intimé : Guy Dumas, c.r. THE COURT The appeal and cross-appeal are dismissed without costs. LA COUR L’appel et l’appel reconventionnel sont rejetés sans dépens. Le jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE LEBLOND I.
Introduction [ 1 ] Nancy Savoie interjette appel de la décision d’un juge de la Division de la famille de la Cour du Banc de la Reine qui tranchait la plupart des questions en litige soulevées par la requête en divorce déposée par M me Savoie. [ 2 ] Il importe de noter, d’entrée de jeu, que M me Savoie semble croire que notre Cour peut se substituer arbitrairement au juge du procès pour « corriger » ce qu’elle perçoit comme des erreurs ou un traitement injuste de la part du juge, surtout en rapport avec son appréciation de la crédibilité des parties.
Or, comme dans tous les procès, là où les témoignages divergent, le juge doit déterminer lequel il préfère et, dans la mesure où sa discrétion est bien exercée, la déférence est de rigueur en appel. Le droit d’appel n’existe pas pour permettre de refaire le procès : Brooks c. Barreau du Nouveau-Brunswick et autres , 2015 NBCA 18 , 433 R.N.- B. (2 e ) 371 . [ 3 ] La relation de couple a duré trente ans, dont deux années de cohabitation suivies de vingt-huit années de mariage.
Les questions principales soulevées dans la requête portaient sur les aliments au profit de M me Savoie et le partage des biens et des dettes. L’appel porte principalement sur ces questions.
[ 4 ] La décision du juge a conduit, entre autres, aux ordonnances suivantes, qui sont pertinentes quant à l’appel : 1) que M. Savoie verse à M me Savoie une pension alimentaire mensuelle de 11 200 $ à partir du 1 er septembre 2015 et pour une durée indéterminée; 2) que les biens et les dettes soient partagés en parts égales, selon le tableau suivant, pour en arriver au montant égalisateur payable par M me Savoie à M. Savoie : Biens matrimoniaux Biens Valeur M me Savoie M.
Savoie 1 Foyer matrimonial 304 000,00 $ 304 000,00 $ 2 Maison à Dartmouth 617 000,00 $ 617 000,00 $ 3 Terrain 4 000,00 $ 4 000,00 $ 4 Contenu des domiciles 0,00 $ 0,00 $ 0,00 $ 5 Audi 22 000,00 $ 22 000,00 $ 6 Camaro 30 000,00 $ 30 000,00 $ 7 CELI 37 775,00 $ 18 887,50 $ 18 887,50 $ 8 REER 343 532,96 $ 171 266,48 $ 171 266,48 $ 9 RBC XX09 81 855,00 $ 40 927,50 $ 40 927,50 $ 10 RBC XX65 4 023,00 $ 2 011,50 $ 2 011,50 $ 11 RBC XX14 2 220,00 $ 1 110,00 $ 1 110,00 $ 12 Autres biens Total partiel 1 445 405,96 $ 560 202,98 $ 885 202,98 $ Dettes matrimoniales Dettes Solde M me Savoie M.
Savoie 1 Hypothèques 521 077,00 $ 521 077,00 $ 2 Visa 16 086,00 $ 16 086,00 $ 3 Sears 3 482,00 $ 3 482,00 $ Total partiel 540 645,00 $ 0,00 $ 540 645,00 $ Valeur nette 904 760,96 $ 560 202,98 $ 344 557,98 $ 50/50 452 380,48 $ 452 380,48 $ Montant égalisateur 107 822,50 $ 3) que la moitié de la valeur du fonds de pension de M. Savoie soit transférée à M me Savoie; 4) que M. Savoie acquitte les soldes des deux cartes de crédit de M me Savoie (Visa et Sears) aux montants indiqués ci-dessus; 5) que les parties négocient les modalités de paiement du montant égalisateur au profit de M.
Savoie et celui de l’arriéré alimentaire par M. Savoie de la façon qui leur sera la plus avantageuse sur le plan fiscal. [ 5 ] L’avis d’appel de M me Savoie compte treize moyens, sans compter les « sous-moyens », et a été suivi de trois avis d’appel supplémentaires qui soulèvent ensemble onze moyens additionnels. M. Savoie a déposé un appel reconventionnel dans lequel il soulève neuf moyens.
Je condenserai ceux-ci pour les relier principalement aux deux grandes questions monétaires en litige, à savoir les aliments au profit de M me Savoie et le partage des biens et des dettes, pour déterminer si le paiement égalisateur sera confirmé. [ 6 ] Je traiterai de façon
sommaire des moyens d’ordre non monétaire puisque ceux-ci, à mon avis, n’ont aucune incidence sur les dispositifs de l’appel ou de l’appel reconventionnel.
[ 7 ] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je rejetterais tant l’appel que l’appel reconventionnel, sans dépens. II. Contexte factuel [ 8 ] Les parties se sont mariées le 5 septembre 1987 après une cohabitation de deux ans et se sont séparées à l’été 2015. Ils ont un enfant adulte qui, au moment de la séparation, n’était plus à leur charge au sens de la
Loi sur le divorce , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2 e suppl .) (la Loi ). Il y a une dispute sur la date exacte de la séparation, mais le juge du procès a conclu, à la lumière de la preuve, qu’elle est survenue entre le 23 juillet et le 15 août 2015. Dans l’exercice de son vaste pouvoir discrétionnaire, le juge s’est arrêté sur le 15 août 2015 pour les fins du calcul du partage égal du capital et des intérêts détenus dans le fonds de pension de M.
Savoie et sur le 1 er septembre 2015 pour le début des paiements alimentaires mensuels au profit de M me Savoie. [ 9 ] M me Savoie est en congé pour des raisons de santé ou d’invalidité depuis 2001. On lui a diagnostiqué un trouble affectif bipolaire de type II en phase dépressive majeure, d’intensité modérée et sans caractéristique psychotique. Son revenu depuis 2001 consiste en des prestations d’invalidité d’environ 13 000 $ par année du régime de pensions du Canada. Depuis 2015, elle reçoit une pension alimentaire volontaire de 2 000 $ par mois.
Une ordonnance provisoire discutée plus loin a augmenté la pension à 10 500 $ par mois à partir du 1 er septembre 2015. [ 10 ] M. Savoie a occupé divers postes depuis le début de la cohabitation. En 2001, il est entré au service de la société Black & MacDonald. Il en est devenu le directeur général en 2013 et, en novembre 2015, quelques mois après la séparation, il a été promu vice-président de la société pour la région de l’Atlantique. Cette promotion a nécessité un déménagement en Nouvelle-Écosse.
Depuis 2010, il touche un revenu annuel de base établi à 200 000 $ et est admissible à des primes de rendement ou à une part des profits de la société. [ 11 ] Voici le tableau des revenus des parties de 2007 à 2019 que le juge du procès a établis sur la foi de la preuve : Année M me Savoie M.
Savoie 2007 14 351 $ 96 914 $ 2008 15 340 $ 137 457 $ 2009 12 408 $ 138 722 $ 2010 13 144 $ 206 625 $ 2011 13 122 $ 210 919 $ 2012 12 914 $ 261 844 $ 2013 12 959 $ 518 875 $ 2014 12 533 $ 551 800 $ 2015 19 940 $ 535 901 $ (année de la séparation) 2016 36 752 $ 728 553 $ 2017 138 404 $ 471 867 $ 2018 137 865 $ 658 609 $ 2019 137 865 $ 397 564 $ (année du procès) [ 12 ] La preuve démontre qu’en 2010, année où le revenu annuel de base de M. Savoie est passé à 200 000 $, le couple a commencé à investir de larges sommes dans des améliorations du foyer matrimonial dont M me Savoie bénéficie actuellement.
Qui plus est, les augmentations de revenus de M. Savoie ont permis d’acquitter l’hypothèque qui grevait ce domicile. Par ailleurs, même si le couple s’est payé certains luxes à l’occasion, son style de vie n’a pas changé de façon considérable. Ce constat devient important dans le contexte de l’analyse de la pension alimentaire au profit de M me Savoie. [ 13 ] La requête en divorce a été déposée le 5 février 2016. Le 16 mai 2016, M me Savoie a également déposé une motion en mesures provisoires. Dans l’attente de l’ordonnance, M.
Savoie a volontairement payé une pension alimentaire de 2 000 $ par mois à compter de la mi-août 2015. [ 14 ] La motion s’est soldée par une ordonnance par consentement entérinée par le juge le 21 décembre 2016. À ce moment-là, les deux parties étaient représentées par des avocats. Toute la preuve accessible dès lors avait été présentée à la cour.
L’ordonnance était assortie, entre autres, des modalités suivantes : 1. Il a été ordonné à M. Savoie de verser à M me Savoie une pension alimentaire de 10 500 $ par mois à partir du 1 er janvier 2017 et jusqu’à nouvelle ordonnance de la cour. 2. L’arriéré alimentaire pour la période allant du 1 er septembre 2015 au 1 er décembre 2016 a été établi, de façon définitive, à 10 500 $ par mois, moins un crédit pour les versements mensuels de 2 000 $ effectués depuis la mi-août 2015, pour un total net de 136 000 $ couvrant cette période de seize mois.
Selon les observations faites devant notre Cour, cet arriéré a été acquitté au complet. Une question demeure en litige à savoir s’il était loisible au juge d’ordonner le paiement de la pension alimentaire qu’il devait déterminer à partir du 1 er septembre 2015 et donc avant le 1 er décembre 2016, étant donné que les parties avaient convenu que l’arriéré était réglé de façon définitive. J’y reviendrai. 3. Il a été ordonné à M. Savoie de verser à M me Savoie une provision pour frais de 30 000 $. Le traitement de ce montant devait être déterminé par le juge à la fin du procès. La provision a été versée.
Elle fait, en partie, l’objet de l’appel reconventionnel. [ 15 ] Il n’y a aucun débat valable sur les valeurs attribuées aux biens et aux dettes indiquées dans le tableau ci- dessus. M me Savoie s’est opposée aux montants attribués aux soldes des comptes bancaires, alléguant que M. Savoie aurait détourné certaines sommes de ceux-ci à son bénéfice en « préparation à la séparation » qu’il envisageait, à l’insu de M me Savoie.
Le juge du procès, après avoir examiné la preuve, et dans l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire, a rejeté ces arguments, en concluant qu’ils étaient dénués de fondement. [ 16 ] C’est en raison de différends comme ceux-là et de bien d’autres que le juge a été obligé de se prononcer sur la crédibilité des parties. Ce facteur a eu pour effet de déterminer presque toutes les questions en litige. Le juge a conclu que M. Savoie avait rendu un témoignage précis et avait répondu aux questions sans hésitation. Il a également noté que le témoignage de M. Savoie était largement étayé par la preuve documentaire.
Par contre, le juge n’a pu en dire autant de la crédibilité de M me Savoie. Il a conclu que son témoignage était « complexe, imprécis, vague, exagéré, inconsistant et parfois contradictoire ». Il a choisi de préférer le témoignage de M. Savoie lorsque celui-ci était contredit par M me Savoie, surtout sur les questions monétaires. [ 17 ] M me Savoie occupe le foyer matrimonial situé à Nigadoo, au Nouveau-Brunswick. Au moment de la séparation, il était évalué à 304 000 $ selon l’expertise retenue par le juge et il était libre de toute charge. [ 18 ] M.
Savoie demeure dans le domicile de Dartmouth, en Nouvelle-Écosse, qu’il a acheté en janvier 2015 au moment de sa promotion au poste de vice-président de Black & MacDonald pour la région de l’Atlantique. Le prix d’achat se chiffrait à 617 000 $.
M me Savoie a choisi de ne pas exercer son droit de faire évaluer cette propriété, et le juge a donc retenu son prix d’achat comme étant la meilleure preuve de sa valeur pour les fins du calcul du montant égalisateur. [ 19 ] Outre mes observations précédentes, les valeurs attribuées aux autres biens ont été établies par le juge et ne font pas l’objet de disputes sérieuses. [ 20 ] La plus grande
partie des dettes consiste en deux hypothèques sur le domicile de Dartmouth. La première, de 300 000 $, se rapporte à un prêt qui a été consenti par Black & MacDonald à M. Savoie au moment de l’acquisition et qui devait être remboursé à raison de 60 000 $ par année sur une période de cinq ans. [ 21 ] La deuxième hypothèque, de 221 077 $, a été consentie par une banque, et M. Savoie fait les versements mensuels. [ 22 ] Le solde du prix d’achat a été tiré d’un des comptes conjoints avant la séparation. [ 23 ] Le juge a attribué le solde de toutes les dettes matrimoniales à M. Savoie.
[ 24 ] Les biens indiqués dans le tableau ci-dessus ont une valeur globale de 1 445 405,96 $, dont une part de 560 202,98 $ est attribuée à M me Savoie et une part de 885 202,98 $, à M. Savoie. Cependant, la totalité des dettes de 540 645 $ lui étant attribuée, la valeur nette attribuée à M. Savoie est réduite à 344 547,98 $. [ 25 ] La valeur nette à répartir entre les parties (1 445 405,96$ - 540 645 $) s’établit à 904 760,96 $. Les parties s’entendent sur une répartition égale de celle-ci, ce qui donne droit à chacune à 452 380,48 $. M.
Savoie, déduction faite des dettes, accuse un manque de 107 822,50 $, montant fixé par le juge comme celui du paiement égalisateur payable par M me Savoie. Selon les observations faites devant notre Cour, ce paiement n’a toujours pas été acquitté en raison des contestations que M me Savoie soulève en appel. La plus importante de celles-ci porte sur ses prétentions liées aux aliments qu’elle sollicite en sus de ce que le juge lui a accordé. Mon analyse portera surtout sur cette question. III.
Moyens d’appel [ 26 ] Je résume les moyens d’appel qui nécessitent une analyse aux suivants : 1) les erreurs alléguées en rapport avec les facteurs à retenir dans l’évaluation de la pension alimentaire; 2) le partage du fonds de pension de M. Savoie; 3) l’erreur alléguée quant à l’ordonnance de dépens. IV.
Moyens d’appel reconventionnel [ 27 ] Les moyens d’appel reconventionnel portent sur des erreurs alléguées en rapport avec : 1) le traitement de la provision pour frais; 2) la « finalité » du paiement de l’arriéré alimentaire prescrit dans l’ordonnance provisoire du 21 décembre 2016; 3) le partage des dettes de cartes de crédit; 4) l’omission d’ordonner les modalités de paiement du montant égalisateur et du partage du fonds de pension; 5) l’ordonnance de dépens en faveur de M me Savoie. V.
Norme de contrôle [ 28 ] Notre Cour l’a souvent répété : la norme de contrôle généralement applicable dans les affaires qui ressortissent au droit de la famille exige une grande retenue face à la décision d’un juge. Cet appel ne fait pas exception. [ 29 ] Notre Cour n’a le pouvoir d’annuler ou de modifier une décision que si celle-ci résulte d’une erreur de droit,
d’une erreur de principe ou d’une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve ou encore si elle est manifestement erronée. Récemment, dans J.D.F. v. J.L.F.-F., 2020 NBCA 70, [2020] A.N.-B. no 252 (QL), nous avons répété l’énoncé formulé par le juged’appel Richard, tel étant alors son titre, dans Lang c. Lang, [2007] A.N.-B. n° 348 (QL) (C.A.) : [TRADUCTION] Il est tout aussi clair, en droit, que la Cour d’appel ne peut juger l’affaire de nouveau.
La Cour d’appel ne peut infirmer une conclusion defait du juge du procès que si celle-ci résulte d’une erreur manifeste et dominante et ne peut modifier une ordonnance discrétionnaire quesi celle-ci est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominantedans l’appréciation de la preuve (voir les arrêts Housen c. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, [2002] A.C.S. n° 31(QL), 2002 CSC 33, et H.L. c.
Canada (Procureur général), 2005 CSC 25 , [2005] 1 R.C.S. 401, [2005] A.C.S. n° 24 (QL),2005 CSC 25, pour ce qui concerne les conclusions de fait, et l’arrêt Colombie-Britannique (Ministre des Forêts) c. Bande indienneOkanagan, 2003 CSC 71 , [2003] 3 R.C.S. 371, [2003] A.C.S. n° 76 (QL), 2003 CSC 71, au par. 43, pour ce qui concerne lesordonnances discrétionnaires). [par. 3] [30] Je ne discerne aucune erreur du genre dans le cas d’espèce. [31] La juge d’appel Larlee écrivait dans B.P. c.
A.T., 2014 NBCA 51, 423 R.N.-B. (2e) 99, « […] en l’absenced’une erreur, nous ne pouvons pas refaire le procès de l’affaire » (par. 12). VI. Analyse A. Les facteurs déterminants de la pension alimentaire [32] Le juge du procès s’est penché sur les critères d’origine législative applicables qui figurent à l’art. 15.2 de laLoi, notamment aux par. 15.2(4) et (6), dont voici le texte :
Factors
(4) In making an order under subsection (1)or an interim order under subsection (2), thecourt shall take into consideration thecondition, means, needs and othercircumstances of each spouse, including (
a) the length of time the spouses cohabited; (
b) the functions performed by each spouseduring cohabitation; and (
c) any order, agreement or arrangementrelating to support of either spouse. […] Objectives of spousal support order
(6) An order made under subsection (1) or aninterim order under subsection (2) thatprovides for the support of a spouse should (
a) recognize any economic advantages ordisadvantages to the spouses arising from themarriage or its breakdown; (
b) apportion between the spouses anyfinancial consequences arising from the careof any child of the marriage over and aboveany obligation for the support of any child ofthe marriage; (
c) relieve any economic hardship of thespouses arising from the breakdown of themarriage; and (
d) in so far as practicable, promote theeconomic self-sufficiency of each spousewithin a reasonable period of time. Facteurs
(4) En rendant une ordonnance ou uneordonnance provisoire au
titre du présentarticle, le tribunal tient compte desressources, des besoins et, d’une façongénérale, de la situation de chaque époux, ycompris :
a) la durée de la cohabitation des époux;
b) les fonctions qu’ils ont remplies au coursde celle-ci;
c) toute ordonnance, toute entente ou toutarrangement alimentaire au profit de l’un oul’autre des époux. […] Objectifs de l’ordonnance alimentaire auprofit d’un époux
(6) L’ordonnance ou l’ordonnance provisoirerendue pour les aliments d’un époux au titredu présent
article vise :
a) à prendre en compte les avantages ou lesinconvénients économiques qui découlent,pour les époux, du mariage ou de son échec;
b) à répartir entre eux les conséquenceséconomiques qui découlent du soin de toutenfant à charge, en sus de toute obligationalimentaire relative à tout enfant à charge;
c) à remédier à toute difficulté économiqueque l’échec du mariage leur cause;
d) à favoriser, dans la mesure du possible,l’indépendance économique de chacun d’euxdans un délai raisonnable. [33] S’agissant du droit aux aliments et des facteurs énoncés à l’art. 15.2 de la Loi qui ont une incidence sur cedroit, le juge s’est référé à la décision phare de la Cour suprême dans Bracklow c. Bracklow, (CSC), [1999] 1 R.C.S. 420, [1999] A.C.S. no 14 (QL). C’est à la lumière de cette décision que le juge a conclu à des fondements compensatoires et non
compensatoires en rapport avec le droit de M me Savoie aux aliments. Le fondement compensatoire repose sur le désavantage économique découlant de l’important écart qui existe entre les revenus annuels des deux parties. Le fondement non compensatoire est relié aux besoins de M me Savoie, tels que le juge les a déterminés. Bien que les parties s’entendent sur l’applicabilité des deux fondements, elles n’ont pu s’entendre sur le montant des aliments. Le juge a donc tranché cette question.
Pour ce faire, il s’est inspiré des Lignes directrices facultatives en matière de pension alimentaire pour époux (les Lignes directrices facultatives ), qui, selon l’enseignement donné par notre Cour, devraient servir de guide dans le calcul du montant et de la durée de la pension : D.L.M. c. J.A.M. , 2008 NBCA 2 , 326 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 111 . [ 34 ] Certes, la question la plus importante que devait trancher le juge portait sur la détermination du revenu de M.
Savoie pour les fins du calcul de la pension alimentaire, en raison du fait qu’il a connu des fluctuations importantes entre la date de la séparation et la date du procès. [ 35 ] En application des Lignes directrices facultatives , dans leur version modifiée, le juge a procédé au calcul selon les scénarios prévus dans celles-ci. Entre la date de la séparation et la date du procès, survenue quatre ans plus tard, les revenus de M.
Savoie ont fluctué ainsi, en chiffres arrondis : Année Revenu 2015 536 000 $ 2016 728 000 $ 2017 471 800 $ 2018 658 600 $ 2019 397 000 $ [ 36 ] Les revenus annuels de M me Savoie, à l’exclusion de la pension alimentaire provisoire, établis à 13 000 $ en chiffres arrondis, ont été relativement stables. Elle argumente qu’ils auraient dû être établis à 11 863 $, mais la différence dans le calcul, que l’on utilise le chiffre retenu par le juge ou celui qu’avance M me Savoie, est négligeable. [ 37 ] Cinq scénarios se dégageaient des revenus des parties.
Le juge pouvait se fonder sur les scénarios suivants : 1) à la date de la séparation, en 2015; 2) à la date du procès, en 2019; 3) selon la moyenne des revenus touchés de 2015 à 2019; 4) en fonction uniquement du revenu de base de M. Savoie, établi à 200 000 $; 5) selon le plafond des Lignes directrices facultatives , établi à 350 000 $. [ 38 ] Les calculs des fourchettes de soutien (tranches inférieure, moyenne et supérieure), toujours selon les Lignes directrices facultatives , pour les cinq scénarios, sont les suivants : 1) à la date de la séparation, en 2015, alors que le revenu de M.
Savoie s’établissait à 536 000 $ : 16 300 $ / 19 000 $ / 21 600 $; 2) à la date du procès, en 2019, alors que le revenu de M. Savoie s’établissait à 397 000 $ : 12 000 $ / 14 000 $ / 15 800 $; 3) selon la moyenne des revenus de 2015 à 2019 de M. Savoie, établie à 557 500 $ : 17 000 $ / 19 900 $ / 22 500 $; 4) selon le revenu annuel de base de M. Savoie, établi à 200 000 $ : 5 800 $ / 6 800 $ / 7 600 $;
5) selon le « plafond » de 350 000 $ : 10 500 $ / 12 300 $ / 13 900 $. [ 39 ] Je rappelle que le revenu annuel de 13 000 $ de M me Savoie a servi au calcul de tous les scénarios. Des différences importantes résultent donc entre les fourchettes calculées. [ 40 ] Les Lignes directrices facultatives établissent un « plafond » de 350 000 $ en lien avec le revenu du débiteur, qui constitue un montant dont un juge doit sérieusement tenir compte avant d’accepter de le dépasser pour les fins du calcul de la pension. La jurisprudence n’est pas constante quant à savoir si ce plafond est réel ou non.
Les auteurs des Lignes directrices facultatives soulignent que, malgré l’absence d’un plafond absolu ou rigide, les formules proposées dans les Lignes directrices facultatives pour faire le calcul ne doivent pas s’appliquer automatiquement au-dessus du plafond. À ce niveau, la pension alimentaire doit faire l’objet d’une analyse particulière au cas par cas. Le juge qui choisit de fixer un montant se trouvant à l’intérieur de la fourchette du « plafond » dans une situation où le revenu du débiteur excède le montant de 350 000 $ ne commet pas une erreur dans la mesure où des éléments de preuve étayent la décision.
Les Lignes directrices facultatives prévoient de plus que, lorsque le revenu du débiteur se situe « un peu au- dessus du plafond », les fourchettes des formules seront souvent utilisées pour déterminer le montant de la pension qui se situera dans la
partie inférieure de la fourchette. La jurisprudence n’établit pas clairement ce qu’on entend par « un peu au-dessus du plafond », mais les Lignes directrices facultatives laissent entendre que ce montant se situerait à peu près entre 500 000 $ et 700 000 $. [ 41 ] Dans Hathaway c. Hathaway , 2014 BCCA 310 , [2014] B.C.J. No. 1996 (QL), la Cour d’appel de la Colombie- Britannique interprète les dispositions des Lignes directrices facultatives qui traitent de ce sujet, au ch. 11. Dans Hathaway , le revenu annuel du débiteur s’établissait à 1 million $.
La cour déclare que le ch. 11 n’établit pas un plafond absolu de 350 000 $, mais qu’avant de dépasser ce plafond, le juge doit faire une analyse propre au cas . La cour note que, trop souvent, les juges se perdent dans les calculs et font fi des formules contenues dans les Lignes directrices facultatives .
Ce qui importe dans le cas de M. et M me Savoie, c’est que la cour, dans Hathaway , confirme que la détermination du montant approprié des aliments est purement discrétionnaire (par. 43) et il n’existe aucun principe de droit selon lequel les Lignes directrices facultatives ne s’appliquent pas à un revenu qui dépasse le « plafond » de 350 000 $ (par. 49). Rien dans les Lignes directrices facultatives ou la jurisprudence ne fait qu’un conjoint débiteur dont le revenu dépasse le « plafond » doive verser d’autres aliments que ceux qui sont calculés selon les formules.
La seule question qui se pose est celle de déterminer si un tel exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire du juge constitue une erreur de principe.
La réponse dépendra de la conformité de la pension accordée avec les facteurs et objectifs énoncés à l’ art. 15.2 de la Loi ( Hathaway , par. 50 ). [ 42 ] Dans le dossier qui nous occupe, le juge était pleinement conscient de la situation de M me Savoie qui a animé l’analyse des facteurs énoncés à l’ art. 15.2 et il a bien appliqué ceux-ci à la preuve. [ 43 ] La jurisprudence n’indique pas que les Lignes directrices facultatives doivent s’appliquer à des revenus allant de 350 000 $ à 700 000 $, mais elle n’indique pas non plus qu’elles le peuvent .
Le juge est libre d’exercer ou non son pouvoir discrétionnaire. [ 44 ] Quoiqu’il en soit, dans la mesure où le montant de revenu annuel de 350 000 $ ne constitue pas un plafond absolu aux termes des Lignes directrices facultatives , le juge peut exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire pour fixer le montant de la pension alimentaire et, ce faisant, ne commet aucune erreur justifiant l’infirmation en appel, à moins qu’il n’ait commis une erreur importante dans l’appréciation de la preuve ou que l’ordonnance ne soit manifestement erronée : Smith c.
Smith , 2011 NBCA 66 , 375 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 208 . [ 45 ] Dans Smith , la juge d’appel Quigg, au nom de la Cour, a conclu que le juge du procès avait commis de sérieuses erreurs du fait que les hypothèses factuelles qu’il avait posées sur l’expérience et l’aptitude professionnelles de M me Smith n’étaient aucunement étayées par la preuve. De plus, elle a conclu que le juge du procès s’était appuyé sur des hypothèses dénuées de fondement en rapport avec la capacité du conjoint débiteur de verser une pension alimentaire.
Or, aucune erreur du genre n’a été commise ici. [ 46 ] Par ailleurs, en ce qui concerne l’usage qui peut être fait des Lignes directrices facultatives , même si elles ne sont pas obligatoires, elles devraient servir à fixer le montant et la durée des aliments dans la mesure où elles reflètent l’état de la jurisprudence ( voir Smith , par. 26 , citant à l’appui D.L.M. c. J.A.M . , 2008 NBCA 2 , 326 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 111 , au par. 45 ).
Cependant, bien que les Lignes directrices facultatives visent à favoriser l’uniformité, elles ne peuvent se substituer entièrement au pouvoir discrétionnaire conféré au juge par la Loi de fixer le montant et la durée des aliments. [ 47 ] Le juge a appliqué les facteurs énoncés au par. 15.2(4) de la Loi à la lumière de la preuve et n’a commis
aucune erreur manifeste et dominante dans son appréciation. L’exercice que fait le juge du vaste pouvoir discrétionnaire que lui confèrel’art. 15.2 doit être justifié dans ses motifs afin d’éviter les décisions arbitraires. Il ressort de la lecture de ses motifs que le juge duprocès s’est bien acquitté de sa tâche. Comme l’a souligné la juge L’Heureux-Dubé dans Hickey c.
Hickey, (CSC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL), « vu sa nature factuelle et discrétionnaire, la décision du juge de première instance doitfaire l’objet d’une grande déférence par la cour d’appel appelée à réviser une telle décision » (par. 10). [48] Avant de déterminer laquelle des fourchettes établies par les Lignes directrices facultatives est la plus appropriée pour le calcul de la pension alimentaire de Mme Savoie, le juge s’est référé aux facteurs suggérés par celles-ci.
Les plus importants, en l’espèce, sont les besoins de Mme Savoie et le partage définitif des biens et des dettes. [49] Le juge a fait une analyse soignée des besoins qu’avait tenté de faire valoir Mme Savoie. Il a noté qu’elle avaitdéposé trois états financiers qui décrivent des dépenses fort variables d’un état à l’autre. Le juge a conclu, dans l’exercice de son pouvoirdiscrétionnaire, que plusieurs des dépenses mensuelles ne seraient pas récurrentes et il doutait du bien-fondé de plusieurs d’entre elles.
Ildresse, en fait, la liste de celles qu’il estimait inappropriées, exagérées, inacceptables, déraisonnables ou tout simplement non essentielles et il explique pourquoi. Essentiellement, le témoignage de Mme Savoie par rapport à ces dépenses manquait sérieusement de crédibilité.Il conclut que la majorité de ces dépenses ne cadre tout simplement pas avec les objectifs visés par l’art. 15.2 de la Loi. Le juge conclutque les dépenses mensuelles réelles et récurrentes se situent entre 9 000 $ et 10 000 $.
Il inclut dans ce montant le coût de quelques luxeset divertissements ainsi qu’un montant pour les impôts qu’elle devra payer sur un revenu annuel de 137 865 $. [50] Le juge a établi le partage des biens et des dettes avant de procéder au calcul de la pension alimentaire. Il note que, même si aucun bien producteur de revenus n’a été accordé à Mme Savoie, elle a reçu néanmoins des biens d’une valeur totale de450 000 $ libre de toute dette et un montant additionnel d’environ 80 000 $ pour sa part du fonds de pension de M. Savoie.
L’effet dupartage des biens et des dettes sur le conjoint qui bénéficie de la pension alimentaire est relié à la question de savoir si la part accordéedans le partage indemnise convenablement le conjoint créancier des conséquences économiques de la rupture du mariage en applicationdes objectifs énoncés au par. 15.2(6), y inclus les réclamations de nature compensatoire et non compensatoire de ce conjoint en matièred’aliments. Cependant, même un partage substantiel en faveur du conjoint créancier ne prive pas celui-ci de son droit aux aliments : Parent c. Fidèle Morissette, 2013 NBQB 408, 418 R.N.-B. (2e) 3.
Ce constat est d’autant plus vrai si les biens acquis dans le partage ne produisent pas de revenus, comme dans le cas de Mme Savoie. [51] À la lumière de la preuve, des Lignes directrices facultatives et de la jurisprudence, le juge explique pourquoiil a choisi d’utiliser le plafond de 350 000 $ comme montant le plus approprié pour le calcul des aliments compte tenu des besoins réels de Mme Savoie.
Les tranches mensuelles de cette fourchette (10 500 $, 12 300 $, 13 900 $) ont mené le juge à choisir la trancheinférieure comme étant la plus appropriée (le même montant qui avait été convenu dans l’ordonnance provisoire par consentement dedécembre 2016) mais, dans l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire, il a choisi de porter ce montant à 11 200 $ par mois et de l’accorder pour une durée indéterminée.
Mme Savoie a donc profité de cet exercice de discrétion. [52] De plus, le juge a ordonnée que la pension alimentaire soit versée rétroactivement au mois suivant la séparation, soit au 1er septembre 2015, même si l’ordonnance provisoire de décembre 2016 fixait définitivement l’arriéré à 10 500 $ par mois jusqu’au 1er décembre 2016. Il s’agissait donc d’un avantage supplémentaire pour Mme Savoie. [53] À l’appui de sa décision de déroger à l’ordonnance provisoire, le juge cite d’abord la décision de principe de laCour suprême dans Kerr c. Baranow, 2011 CSC 10, [2011] 1 S.C.R. 269, pour expliquer que M.
Savoie avait reconnu les besoins de Mme Savoie en donnant son consentement à cette ordonnance et qu’il ne pouvait s’opposer à la demande de rétroactivité. M. Savoieargumente en appel reconventionnel que l’arriéré avait tout de même été réglé de façon définitive et qu’il ne fallait pas revenir sur le montant payable pour la période antérieure au 1er décembre 2016. Or, le juge n’est pas lié par les dispositions d’une ordonnanceprovisoire, peu importe la finalité des termes employés. Il retient toujours la compétence inhérente de la modifier : C.M.H. c. J.R.H., 2012 NBCA 71, 393 R.N.-B. (2e) 154. [54] Dans Grant c.
Grant, 2012 NBCA 101, 397 R.N.-B. (2e) 254, notre Cour a retenu les propos exprimés dansSypher c. Sypher, (ON CA), [1986] O.J. No. 536 (QL) (C.A.), où la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario a affirmé que lepouvoir discrétionnaire du juge du procès est absolu (Grant, par. 10). Comme l’indiquait la juge d’appel Larlee dans Grant, le juge duprocès n’est aucunement lié par le montant ou la duré des aliments prescrits par l’ordonnance provisoire (par. 14). [55] Dans Canadian Family Law, 7e ed. (Toronto : Irwin Law, 2017), les auteurs Julien D. Payne et Marilyn A.
Payne écrivent à la p. 230 : [TRADUCTION] [...] les ordonnances provisoires n’entravent pas le pouvoir discrétionnaire du juge du procès de prendre la décision qui s’impose aprèsun examen exhaustif des faits. Au besoin, le juge du procès peut rendre une ordonnance rétroactive pour pallier toute iniquité ouinsuffisance découlant d’une ordonnance provisoire. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [56] Cette discrétion est tout à fait conforme aux principes énoncés dans l’arrêt Bracklow. L’exercice du pouvoirdiscrétionnaire du juge doit viser un équilibre équitable des conséquences de la rupture d’un mariage.
Tout permet de croire que c’est précisément ce que le juge du procès a fait ici en donnant une application rétroactive à son ordonnance pour les aliments de Mme Savoie.Notre Cour ne doit aucunement intervenir. B. Partage du fonds de pension [57] Le juge a ordonné le partage égal de la pension de M. Savoie. Cette pension a été établie à partir du début de lapériode d’emploi de M.
Savoie chez Black & MacDonald, en 2001, et le partage doit se faire en fonction de sa valeur de rachat aumoment de la date de la séparation établie par le juge, le 15 août 2015, additionnée des intérêts selon un taux journalier qui sera calculépar l’administrateur du fonds pour la période allant du 15 août 2015 à la date du paiement. Le partage sera déterminé par la loi qui gouverne l’administration du fonds de pension. Mme Savoie est tenue de s’y conformer pour recevoir le montant que l’administrateurcalculera et elle devra choisir la méthode par laquelle sa
part lui sera attribuée. La preuve versée au dossier sur ce point est limitée et nenous permet pas de faire les calculs requis. Seul l’administrateur du fonds peut faire les calculs. C. Frais de poursuite [58] M. Savoie, dans son appel reconventionnel, demande le remboursement de la provision de frais de 30 000 $. Le juge a conclu, à bon droit, que l’écart important entre les revenus des parties plaçait Mme Savoie dans une position nettement désavantageuse, d’où la justification de la provision, puisque Mme Savoie n’aurait pu, à elle seule, mener l’instance à terme. Elle aprofité des services d’une avocate durant une bonne
partie de l’instance. Je ne vois donc aucune justification d’intervenir dans l’exercicede discrétion qui a conduit le juge à refuser le remboursement demandé. D. Autres moyens d’appel [59] Dans ce qui suit, je traite de façon
sommaire des autres moyens d’appel puisqu’ils n’ont aucune incidence surle dispositif que je propose sur les questions au cœur du litige. 1. Le juge a fait erreur sur la date de la séparation. • J’ai abordé le sujet, et la preuve étaye la conclusion du juge sur ce point. Il n’a commis aucune erreur manifeste et dominante. 2.
Le juge a refusé à Mme Savoie d’introduire de la preuve additionnelle après que celle-ci eut présenté sa preuve. • À la lecture de la transcription du procès, je suis convaincu que le juge a bien appliqué le droit et n’a commis aucune erreur de fait dans les décisions qu’il a prises au cours du procès. Mme Savoie n’était pas en droit de scinder sa preuve : Gestion Cayouette Inc. c. Co- operators General Insurance Co. et Coulombe (1996), (NB CA), 171 R.N.-B. (2e) 269, [1996] A.N.-B. no 90 (QL)(C.A.).
3. Le juge n’a pas permis à M me Savoie de pleinement contre-interroger M. Savoie. • À la lecture de la transcription du procès, je suis convaincu de la fausseté de cette affirmation de M me Savoie. Les interventions du juge étaient limitées à rappeler M me Savoie à l’ordre pour éviter les questions répétitives ou non pertinentes. Il a fait preuve d’une grande patience à l’endroit de M me Savoie et a simplement vu au bon déroulement du procès. 4.
Le juge a fait erreur sur la garde de l’enfant des parties. • Cette question n’avait aucune pertinence puisqu’au moment de la séparation, le seul enfant des parties n’était plus à leur charge et était financièrement indépendant. 5. Le juge a rejeté une motion déposée par M me Savoie en octobre 2019. • La décision du juge s’inscrivait dans le cadre d’un exercice de discrétion qui ne reflète aucune erreur : La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 161 . 6.
Le juge a commis une erreur sur la valeur de la voiture Audi conservée par M me Savoie. • Encore une fois, le juge a exercé sa discrétion en choisissant la preuve qu’il allait retenir à ce sujet et il n’a commis aucune erreur. 7. Le juge a commis une erreur en refusant d’ordonner le remboursement complet des honoraires des avocats de M me Savoie. • L’octroi de dépens est un exercice de discrétion, dont le juge s’est acquitté correctement. 8. Le juge a commis une erreur en refusant d’ordonner à M.
Savoie de maintenir son assurance-vie au bénéfice de M me Savoie. • Le paragraphe 15.2(3) de la Loi dispose qu’une ordonnance alimentaire peut être assujettie à une telle modalité. Il s’agit donc ici d’un autre exercice de discrétion qui ne reflète aucune erreur. 9. Le juge était biaisé . • M me Savoie n’a aucunement démontré sa prétention, qui est dénuée de fondement. E. Autre moyen de l’appel reconventionnel [ 60 ] Le seul autre moyen qui n’est pas mentionné ci-dessus porte sur l’octroi par le juge de dépens en faveur de M me Savoie. M.
Savoie argumente que les retards occasionnés lors du procès durant lequel M me Savoie s’est représentée elle-même en
partie ne lui donnent pas droit aux dépens. Or, elle a été représentée par une avocate les quatre premiers jours du procès. Le juge a bien exercé son pouvoir discrétionnaire et n’a commis aucune erreur à cet égard. VII. Dispositif
[ 61 ] Je rejetterais l’appel et l’appel reconventionnel. La division du fonds de pension et la modalité de paiement du montant égalisateur ont été laissés en suspens par le juge du procès. J’ordonnerais le partage du fonds de pension de M. Savoie selon l’ art. 44 de la
Loi sur les prestations de pension , L.N.-B. 1987, ch. P-5.1. J’ordonnerais le paiement immédiat du montant égalisateur par M me Savoie à M. Savoie. Étant donné que la réussite des parties est partagée, je n’accorderais aucuns dépens. English version of the judgment of the Court delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I. Introduction [1] Nancy Savoie appeals from a decision of a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division, which decided most of the issues raised by the Petition for Divorce filed by Mrs. Savoie. [2] It is important to note, at the outset, that Mrs.
Savoie seems to believe that this Court can arbitrarily substitute itself for the trial judge to [TRANSLATION] “correct” what she perceives to be errors or unfair treatment by the judge, particularly in relation to his assessment of the parties’ credibility. However, as in all trials, where the evidence differs, the judge must determine the evidence he or she prefers, and, to the extent that his or her discretion is properly exercised, deference is owed on appeal. The right of appeal does not exist to permit a retrial: Brooks v.
The Law Society of New Brunswick et al . , 2015 NBCA 18 , 433 N.B.R. (2d) 371 . [3] The couple’s relationship lasted thirty years, including two years of cohabitation followed by twenty-eight years of marriage. The main issues raised in the petition concerned spousal support for Mrs. Savoie and the division of property and debts. The appeal relates primarily to these issues. [4] The judge’s decision led, amongst others, to the following orders, which are relevant to the appeal: 1) that Mr. Savoie pay Mrs.
Savoie spousal support in the amount of $11,200 per month starting September 1, 2015, and for an indefinite period; (2) that the property and debts be divided equally, according to the following table, to arrive at the equalization amount payable by Mrs. Savoie to Mr. Savoie: Marital property Property Value Mrs. Savoie Mr.
Savoie 1 Marital home $304,000.00 $304,000.00 2 House in Dartmouth $617,000.00 $617,000.00 3 Land $4,000.00 $4,000.00 4 Contents of residences $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 5 Audi $22,000.00 $22,000.00 6 Camaro $30,000.00 $30,000.00 7 TFSA $37,775.00 $18,887.50 $18,887.50 8 RRSP $343,532.96 $171,266.48 $171,266.48
9 RBC XX09 $81,855.00 $40,927.50 $40,927.50 10 RBC XX65 $4,023.00 $2,011.50 $2,011.50 11 RBC XX14 $2,220.00 $1,110.00 $1,110.00 12 Other property Subtotal $ 1,445,405.96 $ 560,202.98 $ 885,202.98 Marital debts Debts Balance Mrs. Savoie Mr. Savoie 1 Mortgages $521,077.00 $521,077.00 2 Visa $16,086.00 $16,086.00 3 Sears $3,482.00 $3,482.00 Subtotal $ 540,645.00 $ 0.00 $ 540,645.00 Equity $ 904,760.96 $ 560,202.98 $ 344,557.98 50/50 $ 452,380.48 $ 452,380.48 Equalization payment $ 107,822.50 3) that half of the value of Mr. Savoie’s pension fund be transferred to Mrs. Savoie; 4) that Mr.
Savoie pay off the balances on Mrs. Savoie’ s two credit cards (Visa and Sears) in the amounts indicated above; (5) that the parties negotiate the payment terms relating to the equalization payment owed to Mr. Savoie, as well as to the arrears of support owed by Mr. Savoie, that will benefit them the most for tax purposes. [5] Mrs. Savoie’s Notice of Appeal contains thirteen grounds of appeal, apart from the “sub-grounds,” and was followed by three additional Notices of Appeal, which together raise eleven additional grounds. Mr. Savoie filed a cross-appeal in which he raises nine grounds.
I will condense these grounds in order to connect them primarily to the two main monetary matters in issue, namely spousal support for Mrs. Savoie and the division of property and debts, to determine whether the equalization payment will be upheld. [6] I will deal summarily with the non-monetary grounds since, in my view, they have no bearing on the disposition of the appeal or cross-appeal. [7] For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss both the appeal and cross-appeal, without costs. II. Factual background [8] The parties were married on September 5, 1987 after cohabiting for two years.
They separated in the summer of 2015. They have an adult child who, at the time of separation, was no longer a child of the marriage within the meaning of the Divorce Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 3 (2nd Supp .) (the Act ). There is a disagreement as to the exact date of separation, but the trial judge found, in light of the evidence, that it took place between July 23 and August 15, 2015. In the exercise of his broad discretion, the judge chose August 15, 2015 for the purposes of calculating the equal division of the principal and interest held in Mr.
Savoie’s pension fund and September 1, 2015 for the commencement of monthly support payments for Mrs. Savoie. [9] Mrs. Savoie has been on medical or disability leave since 2001. She was diagnosed with bipolar II disorder in a phase of major depression of moderate intensity without psychotic features. Her income since 2001 has consisted of disability benefits of approximately $13,000 per year from the Canada Pension Plan. Since 2015, she received voluntary monthly support payments in the amount of $2,000.
An interim support order discussed below increased the support to $10,500 per month as of September 1, 2015. [10] Mr. Savoie has held a variety of positions since the beginning of the cohabitation. He joined Black &
MacDonald in 2001. He became its General Manager in 2013 and, in November 2015, a few months after the separation, he was promoted to Vice-President, Atlantic region. This promotion required a move to Nova Scotia. Since 2010, he has had an annual base income of $200,000 and is eligible for performance bonuses or a share in the profits of the company. [11] The following is a table of the parties’ incomes from 2007 to 2019 as determined by the trial judge on the basis of the evidence: Year Mrs. Savoie Mr.
Savoie 2007 $14,351 $96,914 2008 $15,340 $137,457 2009 $12,408 $138,722 2010 $13,144 $206,625 2011 $13,122 $210,919 2012 $12,914 $261,844 2013 $12,959 $518,875 2014 $12,533 $551,800 2015 $ 19,940 $ 535,901 (year of separation) 2016 $36,752 $728,553 2017 $138,404 $471,867 2018 $137,865 $658,609 2019 $ 137,865 $ 397,564 (year of trial) [12] The evidence shows that, in 2010, the year that Mr. Savoie’s annual base income increased to $200,000, the couple began investing large sums in improvements to the marital home that Mrs. Savoie now enjoys. Moreover, thanks to the increases in Mr.
Savoie’s income, the mortgage on this home was paid off. In addition, although the couple has occasionally indulged in certain luxuries, their lifestyle has not changed significantly. This finding becomes important in the context of the analysis of spousal support for Mrs. Savoie. [13] The Petition for Divorce was filed on February 5, 2016. On May 16, 2016, Mrs. Savoie also filed a motion for interim relief. Pending the order, Mr. Savoie voluntarily paid $2,000 per month in support, beginning in mid-August 2015. [14] The motion resulted in a consent order endorsed by the judge on December 21, 2016.
At that time, both parties were represented by counsel. All available evidence was submitted to the court. The order included the following terms: 1. Mr. Savoie was ordered to pay spousal support to Mrs. Savoie in the amount of $10,500 per month beginning January 1, 2017 and continuing until further order of the court. 2. The arrears in support for the period from September 1, 2015 to December 1, 2016 were conclusively set at $10,500 per month, less a credit for the monthly payments of $2,000 made since mid-August 2015, for a net total of $136,000 covering this sixteen-month period.
According to the submissions made to this Court, these arrears have been paid in full. A dispute remains as to whether it was open to the judge to order the payment of the support that he had to determine from September 1, 2015 and therefore before December 1, 2016, given that the parties had agreed that the arrears had been definitively settled. I will return to this. 3. Mr. Savoie was ordered to pay suit money in the amount of $30,000 to Mrs. Savoie. The tabulation of this amount was to be determined by the judge at the end of the trial. This amount was paid.
It is one of the issues in the cross-appeal. [15] There is no meaningful dispute on the values assigned to the property and debts set out in the table above. Mrs. Savoie objected to the amounts assigned to the bank account balances, alleging that Mr. Savoie had diverted certain amounts from the accounts to himself in [TRANSLATION] “preparation for the separation” that he was contemplating, unbeknownst to her.
After reviewing the evidence, and in the exercise of his discretion, the trial judge rejected these arguments, finding them to be without merit. [16] Because of disputes such as this and many others, the judge was compelled to rule on the credibility of the parties. This became a deciding factor in almost all the issues in the case. The judge found that Mr. Savoie’s testimony was specific and that he had answered questions without hesitation. He also noted that Mr. Savoie’s testimony was largely supported by the documentary
evidence. However, the judge could not say the same for Mrs. Savoie’s credibility. He concluded that her testimony was [TRANSLATION] “complex, imprecise, vague, exaggerated, inconsistent and sometimes contradictory.” He chose to prefer Mr. Savoie’s testimony when it was contradicted by Mrs. Savoie, especially on monetary matters. [17] Mrs. Savoie lives in the marital home in Nigadoo, New Brunswick. At the time of the separation, it was valued at $304,000 according to the appraisal accepted by the judge and it was free and clear of any encumbrances. [18] Mr.
Savoie lives in the residence in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, that he purchased in January 2015 when he was promoted to Vice-President of Black & MacDonald, Atlantic Region. The purchase price was $617,000. Mrs.
Savoie chose not to exercise her right to have the property appraised; accordingly, the judge accepted its purchase price as the best evidence of its value for the purposes of calculating the equalization amount. [19] In addition to my previous comments, the values assigned to the other assets were set by the judge and are not subject to serious dispute. [20] Most of the debts consist of two mortgages on the Dartmouth residence. The first, for $300,000, relates to a loan from Black & MacDonald to Mr.
Savoie made at the time of the purchase, which was to be repaid at the rate of $60,000 per year over a five-year period. [21] The second mortgage, for $221,077, was granted by a bank, and Mr. Savoie makes the monthly payments. [22] The balance of the purchase price was drawn from one of the joint accounts before the separation. [23] The judge assigned the balance of all marital debts to Mr. Savoie. [24] The assets listed in the table above have an aggregate value of $1,445,405.96, of which $560,202.98 is allocated to Mrs. Savoie and $885,202.98 to Mr. Savoie.
However, given that the total debt of $540,645 is assigned to him, the net value allocated to Mr. Savoie is reduced to $344,547.98. [25] The net value to be divided between the parties ($1,445,405.96 - $540,645) is $904,760.96. The parties agree that this amount should be divided equally, entitling each of them to $452,380.48. After deducting debts, Mr. Savoie is short $107,822.50, which the judge determined to be the amount of the equalization payment owing by Mrs. Savoie. According to the submissions made to this Court, this amount has still not been paid because of the challenges raised by Mrs.
Savoie on appeal. The most important of these challenges relates to her claim for spousal support in excess of what the judge awarded. My analysis will focus primarily on this issue. III. Grounds of appeal [26] I summarize the grounds of appeal that require analysis as follows: 1) alleged errors in regard to the factors to be taken into account in the assessment of spousal support; 2) the division of Mr. Savoie’s pension fund; 3) the alleged error in the order for costs.
IV. Grounds of cross-appeal [27] The grounds of cross-appeal relate to alleged errors in connection with: 1) the treatment of the suit money; 2) the “finality” of the payment of the arrears of spousal support prescribed in the interim order of December 21, 2016; 3) the division of credit card debts; 4) failure to set the terms of payment relating to the equalization payment and the division of the pension fund; 5) the order for costs in favour of Mrs. Savoie. V.
Standard of review [28] As this Court has often said, the standard of review that applies to family law matters generally requires thejudge’s decision to be given considerable deference. This appeal is no exception. [29] This Court is empowered to set aside or vary a decision only where it is the product of an error of law, an errorin principle, a significant misapprehension of the evidence or if it is clearly wrong. Recently, in J.D.F. v. J.L.F.-F., 2020 NBCA 70,[2020] N.B.J. No. 252 (QL), we repeated the statement made by Richard J.A., as he then was, in Lang v. Lang, [2007] N.B.J.
No. 348(QL) (C.A.): The law is equally clear that the Court of Appeal cannot re-try a case. The Court of Appeal may only overturn a trial judge’s finding offact […] if it is the result of a palpable and overriding error, and may only interfere with a discretionary order if it is founded upon anerror of law, an error in the application of the governing principles or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence(see Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, [2002] S.C.J. No. 31 (QL), 2002 S.C.C. 33 and H.L. v. Canada(Attorney General), [2005] 1 S.C.R. 401, [2005] S.C.J.
No. 24 (QL), 2005 SCC 25 with regard to findings of fact, and British Columbia(Minister of Forests) v. Okanagan Indian Band, 2003 CSC 71 , [2003] 3 S.C.R. 371, [2003] S.C.J. No. 76 (QL), 2003 S.C.C.71, at para. 43, with regard to discretionary orders). [para. 3] [30] I discern no such error in this case. [31] Larlee J.A. wrote, in B.P. v. A.T., 2014 NBCA 51, 423 N.B.R. (2d) 99, that “[...] absent error, we cannot re-trythe case” (para. 12). VI. Analysis A.
The determining factors for spousal support [32] The trial judge considered the applicable statutory criteria contained in s. 15.2 of the Act, in particular ss.15.2(4) and (6), which read as follows:
Factors
(4) In making an order under subsection (1)or an interim order under subsection (2), thecourt shall take into consideration thecondition, means, needs and othercircumstances of each spouse, including (
a) the length of time the spouses cohabited; (
b) the functions performed by each spouseduring cohabitation; and (
c) any order, agreement or arrangementrelating to support of either spouse. […] Objectives of spousal support order
(6) An order made under subsection (1) or aninterim order under subsection (2) thatprovides for the support of a spouse should (
a) recognize any economic advantages ordisadvantages to the spouses arising from themarriage or its breakdown; (
b) apportion between the spouses anyfinancial consequences arising from the careof any child of the marriage over and aboveany obligation for the support of any child ofthe marriage; (
c) relieve any economic hardship of thespouses arising from the breakdown of themarriage; and (
d) in so far as practicable, promote theeconomic self-sufficiency of each spousewithin a reasonable period of time. Facteurs
(4) En rendant une ordonnance ou uneordonnance provisoire au
titre du présentarticle, le tribunal tient compte desressources, des besoins et, d’une façongénérale, de la situation de chaque époux, ycompris :
a) la durée de la cohabitation des époux;
b) les fonctions qu’ils ont remplies au coursde celle-ci;
c) toute ordonnance, toute entente ou toutarrangement alimentaire au profit de l’un oul’autre des époux. […] Objectifs de l’ordonnance alimentaire auprofit d’un époux
(6) L’ordonnance ou l’ordonnance provisoirerendue pour les aliments d’un époux au titredu présent
article vise :
a) à prendre en compte les avantages ou lesinconvénients économiques qui découlent,pour les époux, du mariage ou de son échec;
b) à répartir entre eux les conséquenceséconomiques qui découlent du soin de toutenfant à charge, en sus de toute obligationalimentaire relative à tout enfant à charge;
c) à remédier à toute difficulté économiqueque l’échec du mariage leur cause;
d) à favoriser, dans la mesure du possible,l’indépendance économique de chacun d’euxdans un délai raisonnable. [33] With respect to entitlement to spousal support and the factors set out in s. 15.2 of the Act that have a bearing onthat entitlement, the judge referred to the leading Supreme Court decision in Bracklow v. Bracklow, (CSC), [1999] 1S.C.R. 420, [1999] S.C.J. No. 14 (QL). It was in light of this decision that the judge found compensatory and non-compensatory grounds
for Mrs. Savoie’s entitlement to spousal support. The compensatory ground is based on the economic disadvantage arising from the significant difference in annual incomes between the two parties. The non-compensatory ground relates to Mrs. Savoie’s needs, as determined by the judge. Although the parties agree that both grounds apply, they could not agree on the amount of spousal support. Accordingly, the judge decided the issue.
In doing so, he relied on the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines (the Advisory Guidelines ), which, as this Court has directed, should be used as a tool in assessing the quantum and duration of spousal support: D.L.M. v. J.A.M. , 2008 NBCA 2 , 326 N.B.R. (2d) 111 . [34] It is true that the most important issue before the judge was the determination of Mr.
Savoie’s income for the purposes of calculating spousal support, given that it fluctuated significantly between the date of separation and the date of trial. [35] Under the Advisory Guidelines , as amended, the judge calculated the income under the scenarios set out therein. Between the date of separation and the date of trial, which occurred four years later, Mr. Savoie’s income fluctuated as follows, in rounded numbers: Year Income 2015 $536,000 2016 $728,000 2017 $471,800 2018 $658,600 2019 $397,000 [36] Mrs.
Savoie’s annual income, excluding interim spousal support, set at $13,000 in rounded numbers, has been relatively stable. She argues that it should have been set at $11,863, but the difference in the calculation, whether using the judge’s figure or the one Mrs. Savoie suggests, is negligible. [37] The parties’ income gave rise to five scenarios. The judge could base his decision on the following scenarios: 1) at the date of separation, in 2015; 2) at the date of trial, in 2019; 3) considering the average income earned between 2015 and 2019; 4) on the sole basis of Mr.
Savoie’s base income, set at $200,000; 5) considering the Advisory Guidelines ceiling of $350,000. [38] The calculations of the Advisory Guidelines ranges (low end, mid-point and high end) of support under the five scenarios are as follows: 1) at the date of separation, in 2015, when Mr. Savoie’s income was $536,000: $16,300 / $19,000 / $21,600; 2) at the date of trial, in 2019, when Mr. Savoie’s income was $397,000: $12,000 / $14,000 / $15,800; 3) considering Mr. Savoie’s average income between 2015 and 2019: $557,500: $17,000 / $19,900 / $22,500; 4) considering Mr.
Savoie’s annual base income of $200,000: $5,800 / $6,800 / $7,600; 5) considering the $350,000 “ceiling”: $10,500 / $12,300 / $13,900.
[39] I must note that Mrs. Savoie’s annual income of $13,000 was used in the calculations under all the scenarios.There are therefore significant differences between the ranges calculated. [40] The Advisory Guidelines set a $350,000 “ceiling” with respect to the payor’s income, which is an amount thata judge must seriously consider before agreeing to exceed it for the purposes of calculating spousal support. There is some inconsistencyin the case law as to whether this ceiling is real or not.
The authors of the Advisory Guidelines emphasize that, although there is noabsolute or hard cap, the formulas proposed in the Advisory Guidelines for calculating support are not to be applied automatically abovethe ceiling. At this level, spousal support requires an individualized case-specific analysis. A judge who chooses to set an amount withinthe “ceiling” range in a situation where the payor’s income well exceeds the $350,000 amount does not err to the extent there is evidencein support of the decision.
The Advisory Guidelines further provide that, where the payor’s income is “not too far above the ceiling,” theformula ranges will often be used to determine the amount of spousal support, with outcomes falling in the low end of the range. It is notclear from the case law what is meant by “not too far above the ceiling,” but the Advisory Guidelines suggest that this amount would fallsomewhere between $500,000 and $700,000. [41] In Hathaway v. Hathaway, 2014 BCCA 310, [2014] B.C.J. No. 1996 (QL), the British Columbia Court ofAppeal interpreted the Advisory Guidelines provisions dealing with this topic, which are at
Chapter 11. In Hathaway, the payor’s annualincome was $1 million. The court stated that
Chapter 11 does not establish an absolute ceiling of $350,000, but that, before exceedingthis ceiling, the judge must conduct a case-specific analysis. The court noted that, too often, judges get lost in the calculations and ignorethe formulas set out in the Advisory Guidelines. What is important in Mr. and Mrs. Savoie’s case is that the court in Hathawayconfirmed that the determination of an appropriate quantum of spousal support is a matter of pure discretion (para. 43) and it is not amatter of law that the Advisory Guidelines do not apply to income above the $350,000 “ceiling” (para. 49).
Nothing in the AdvisoryGuidelines or in the case law supports the proposition that a payor spouse whose income exceeds the “ceiling” must pay spousal supportin an amount other than as calculated according to the formulas. The only issue is whether such an exercise of judicial discretionconstitutes an error in principle. The answer will depend on whether the award complies with the factors and objectives set out in s. 15.2of the Act (Hathaway, at para. 50). [42] In this case, the judge was fully aware of Mrs.
Savoie’s situation which drove the analysis of the s. 15.2factors, and he properly applied them to the evidence. [43] The case law does not say the Advisory Guidelines must apply to incomes falling between $350,000 and$700,000, nor does it say that they can.
The judge is free to exercise, or not, his or her discretion. [44] In any event, to the extent that the $350,000 annual income amount is not an absolute ceiling under theAdvisory Guidelines, the judge may exercise his or her discretion to set the quantum of spousal support and, in so doing, commits noerror that would justify reversal on appeal, unless he or she significantly misapprehended the evidence or the order is clearly wrong:Smith v.
Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208. [45] In Smith, Quigg J.A., writing for the Court, found that the trial judge had made serious errors on the ground that the factual assumptions he had made about Mrs. Smith’s work experience and job skills were not supported by the evidence.Moreover, she found that the trial judge had relied on unfounded assumptions about the ability of the payor spouse to pay spousalsupport.
No such error was made here. [46] On the other hand, with respect to the use of the Advisory Guidelines, while they are not mandatory, theyshould be used for assessing the quantum and duration of spousal support to the extent that they reflect the state of the case law (see Smith, at para. 26, citing in support D.L.M. v. J.A.M., 2008 NBCA 2, 326 N.B.R. (2d) 111, at para. 45).
However, while the AdvisoryGuidelines are intended to promote consistency, they cannot entirely displace the discretion conferred on the judge by the Act to assessthe quantum and duration of spousal support. [47] The judge applied the factors set out in s. 15.2(4) of the Act in light of the evidence and made no palpable andoverriding error in his assessment. In order to avoid arbitrary decisions, the judge’s exercise of his or her broad discretion under s. 15.2must be justified in his or her reasons. A reading of the trial judge’s reasons shows that he did properly perform his duty.
As L’Heureux- Dubé J. noted in Hickey v. Hickey, (CSC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518, [1999] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL), “[b]ecause of its fact-basedand discretionary nature, trial judges must be given considerable deference by appellate courts when such decisions are reviewed.” (para.10). [48] Before determining which of the Advisory Guidelines ranges is most appropriate for calculating spousal
support for Mrs. Savoie, the judge referred to the factors suggested in them. The most important factors in this case are Mrs. Savoie’sneeds and the ultimate division of property and debts. [49] The judge carefully analyzed the needs that Mrs. Savoie had attempted to assert. He noted that she had filedthree financial statements that describe expenses that vary widely from one statement to the other. The judge concluded, in the exerciseof his discretion, that several of the monthly expenses did not qualify as recurring items and doubted the validity of several of them.
Infact, he listed those that he considered inappropriate, exaggerated, unacceptable, unreasonable or simply non-essential and explainedwhy. Essentially, Mrs. Savoie’s testimony with respect to these expenses was seriously lacking in credibility. The trial judge found thatmost of these expenses were simply out of line with the objectives set out at s. 15.2 of the Act. The judge found that actual and recurringmonthly expenses fell between $9,000 and $10,000.
In this amount, he included the cost of a few luxuries and some recreationalexpenses as well as an amount to pay the taxes that she will have to pay on an annual income of $137,865. [50] The judge determined the division of property and debts before calculating spousal support. He noted that,although no income-producing property was awarded to Mrs. Savoie, she nevertheless received property with a total value of $450,000free and clear of any debt and an additional amount of approximately $80,000 for her share of Mr. Savoie’s pension fund.
The effect ofthe division of property and debts on the spouse receiving support turns on whether the share awarded in the division adequatelycompensates the payee spouse for the financial consequences of the marriage breakdown having regard to the objectives set out in s.15.2(6), including that spouse’s compensatory and non-compensatory claims for spousal support. However, even a substantial share infavour of the payee spouse does not deprive the payee spouse of his or her entitlement to spousal support: Parent v. Fidèle Morissette,2013 NBQB 408, 418 N.B.R. (2d) 3.
This is especially true if the property acquired in the division does not produce income, as in Mrs.Savoie’s case. [51] Based on the evidence, the Advisory Guidelines and the case law, the judge explained why he chose to use the$350,000 ceiling as the most appropriate amount for calculating spousal support having regard to Mrs. Savoie’s actual needs.
Themonthly allocations within that range ($10,500, $12,300, $13,900) led the judge to choose the low end as the most appropriate (the sameamount that had been agreed to in the December 2016 interim consent order) but, in the exercise of his discretion, he chose to increasethat amount to $11,200 per month and to award it for an indefinite period. Mrs.
Savoie therefore benefited from this exercise ofdiscretion. [52] In addition, the judge ordered the spousal support to be paid retroactively to the month following the separation, i.e., September 1, 2015, even though the December 2016 interim order definitively set the arrears at $10,500 per month until December 1, 2016. This was therefore an additional benefit for Mrs. Savoie. [53] In support of his decision to depart from the interim order, the judge first cited the leading Supreme Courtdecision in Kerr v. Baranow, 2011 SCC 10, [2011] 1 S.C.R. 269, to explain that Mr. Savoie had acknowledged Mrs.
Savoie’s needs inconsenting to the order and could not object to the request for retroactive payment. Mr. Savoie argues on cross-appeal that the arrears had nevertheless been definitively paid and that the amount payable for the period prior to December 1, 2016 could not be reconsidered.However, the judge is not bound by the terms of an interim order, regardless of the finality of the language used. He or she alwaysretains inherent jurisdiction to vary an interim order: C.M.H. v. J.R.H., 2012 NBCA 71, 393 N.B.R. (2d) 154. [54] In Grant v.
Grant, 2012 NBCA 101, 397 N.B.R. (2d) 254, this Court adopted the view expressed in Sypher v.Sypher, (ON CA), [1986] O.J. No. 536 (QL) (C.A.), where the Court of Appeal for Ontario stated that a trial judge’sdiscretion is unfettered (Grant, at para. 10). As Larlee J.A. stated in Grant, the trial judge is in no way bound by the amount or theduration of the spousal support prescribed by the interim order (para. 14). [55] In Canadian Family Law, 7th ed. (Toronto: Irwin Law, 2017), the authors Julien D.
Payne and Marilyn A.Payne write, at p. 230: […] [i]nterim orders do not fetter the discretion of trial judges to determine the appropriate disposition after a full investigation of thefacts. Where it is deemed appropriate, a trial judge may make a retroactive order to address any inequity or inadequacy arising under aninterim order. [Emphasis added.] [56] This discretion is entirely consistent with the principles set out in Bracklow. The exercise of a judge’sdiscretion must be aimed at achieving an equitable balance of the consequences of the breakdown of a marriage. There is every reason to
believe that this is precisely what the trial judge did here in making his order for Mrs. Savoie’s spousal support retroactive. This Courtshould not interfere in any way. B. Division of the pension fund [57] The judge ordered an equal division of Mr. Savoie’s pension. This pension was established from the beginningof Mr. Savoie’s employment with Black & MacDonald in 2001, and the division is to be based on its commuted value on the date ofseparation as determined by the judge, i.e.
August 15, 2015, plus interest at a daily rate to be calculated by the fund administrator for theperiod from August 15, 2015 to the date of payment. The division will be determined by the law governing the administration of thepension fund. Mrs. Savoie is required to comply with such law in order to receive the amount that the administrator will calculate, andshe will have to choose the method by which her share will be allocated to her. The evidence in the record on this point is limited anddoes not enable us to make the required calculations. The calculations can only be made by the fund administrator. C.
Litigation costs [58] In his cross-appeal, Mr. Savoie sought reimbursement of the suit money that had been paid in the amount of$30,000. The judge rightly concluded that the significant difference in the parties’ incomes placed Mrs. Savoie at a distinct disadvantage,hence the justification for the suit money, since Mrs. Savoie could not have brought the proceedings to a conclusion on her own. She hadthe benefit of a lawyer for much of the proceedings. I therefore see no justification for interfering with the exercise of discretion that ledthe judge to reject the reimbursement sought. D.
Other grounds of appeal [59] In the following paragraphs, I deal summarily with the other grounds of appeal, since they have no bearing onmy proposed disposition of the issues at the heart of the litigation. 1. The judge erred in respect of the date of separation. • I have addressed the issue, and the evidence supports the judge’s conclusion on this point. He made no palpable and overridingerror. 2. The judge refused to allow Mrs.
Savoie to introduce additional evidence after she had led her evidence. • From a reading of the trial transcript, I am satisfied that the judge applied the law correctly and committed no error of fact in thedecisions he made during the trial. Mrs. Savoie was not entitled to split her case: Gestion Cayouette Inc. v. Co-operators GeneralInsurance Co. et Coulombe (1996), (NB CA), 171 N.B.R. (2d) 269, [1996] N.B.J. No. 90 (QL) (C.A.). 3. The judge did not allow Mrs. Savoie to fully cross-examine Mr. Savoie. • From a reading of the trial transcript, I am satisfied that this statement by Mrs. Savoie is false.
The judge’s interventions were limited to calling Mrs. Savoie to order so as to avoid repetitive or irrelevant questions. He was very patient with Mrs. Savoie and simplysaw to it that the trial went smoothly. 4. The judge erred in respect of the custody of the parties’ child. • This issue was irrelevant because, at the time of separation, the parties’ only child was no longer a child of the marriage and wasfinancially self-sufficient.
5. The judge denied a motion filed by Mrs. Savoie in October 2019. • The judge’s decision resulted from an exercise of discretion that reflects no error: The Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v. The Beaverbrook Art Gallery , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161 . 6. The judge erred in his assessment of the value of the Audi car retained by Mrs. Savoie. • Again, the judge exercised his discretion, in selecting the evidence that he would accept on this issue and he did not err. 7. The judge erred in refusing to order full reimbursement of Mrs.
Savoie’s lawyers’ fees. • Awarding costs is an exercise of discretion, which the judge properly discharged. 8. The judge erred in refusing to order Mr. Savoie to maintain his life insurance in favour of Mrs. Savoie. •
Section 15.2(3) of the Act provides that a spousal support order may be subject to such a term. This is another exercise of discretion that does not reflect any error. 9. The judge was biased. • Mrs. Savoie has not proven her claim, which has no merit. E. Other ground of cross-appeal [60] The only other ground which is not mentioned above concerns the judge’s award of costs in favour of Mrs. Savoie. Mr. Savoie argues that the delays in the trial resulting from Mrs. Savoie self-representation in part do not entitle her to costs. However, she was represented by counsel for the first four days of the trial.
The judge properly exercised his discretion and did not commit any error in this regard. VII. Disposition [61] I would dismiss the appeal and the cross-appeal. The division of the pension fund and the method of paying the equalization payment were left unresolved by the trial judge. I would order the division of Mr. Savoie’s pension fund pursuant to s. 44 of the Pension Benefits Act , S.N.B. 1987, c. P-5.1 . I would order the immediate payment of the equalization amount by Mrs. Savoie to Mr. Savoie. In view of the parties’ divided success, I would award no costs.