2018 NBCA 52, 2018 NBCA 52
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 106-16-CA WILBUR DEDAM APPELLANT WILBUR DEDAM APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Dedam v. R., 2018 NBCA 52 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird Dedam c.
R., 2018 NBCA 52 CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 29, 2016 (conviction) December 5, 2016 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 29 septembre 2016 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 5 décembre 2016 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2016 NBQB 223 Décision frappée d’appel : 2016 NBBR 223 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: February 27, 2018 Appel entendu : le 27 février 2018 Judgment rendered: August 23, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 23 août 2018
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Michael W. Lacy and Emily A. Cochrane For the respondent : Kathryn A. Gregory, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelant : Michael W. Lacy et Emily A. Cochrane Pour l’intimée : Kathryn A. Gregory, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is allowed and a new trial is ordered. LA COUR Accueille l’appel et ordonne la tenue d’un nouveau procès.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] An elementary principle of Canadian criminal law is that, generally speaking, an accused person has the right to be present at his or her trial. In fact, this very principle is mandated in the Criminal Code of Canada, which provides that an accused individual “shall be present in court during the whole of his or her trial”: s. 650(1) . The exceptions to this requirement are few, and, in 2016, none applied to Wilbur Dedam while he was on trial before a judge and jury in the Court of Queen’s Bench facing six charges of sexual assault.
Yet, on no less than nine occasions Mr. Dedam was excluded from his trial. On some of these occasions, only scheduling issues were addressed by the judge and the lawyers. However, on other occasions the judge heard legal arguments or representations from counsel. On four occasions, Mr. Dedam was excluded in the course of giving his own testimony. [ 2 ] Mr. Dedam was convicted of six counts of sexual assault and was sentenced to imprisonment for a total of 9 years. He appealed his conviction.
While he did not originally raise his exclusion from trial as a ground of appeal, when his appeal counsel (not trial counsel) learned of Mr. Dedam’s exclusion from the trial, the Notice of Appeal was amended to include such a ground. [ 3 ] In my view, this additional ground of appeal is dispositive of Mr. Dedam’s appeal. Section 650(1) of the Criminal Code was repeatedly and blatantly violated and the cumulative seriousness of the violations infringed Mr. Dedam’s rights under s. 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms . In the circumstances of this case, where there was no exceptional reason to
justify Mr. Dedam’s exclusion from his trial, his exclusion violated his right not to be deprived of liberty except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice. The infringement triggers the need for a new trial as the appropriate and just remedy under s. 24(1) of the Charter . II. Facts [ 4 ] Wilbur Dedham was tried on an indictment containing six charges of sexual assault upon three sisters who, after the death of their parents, had gone on to reside with Mr. Dedam’s family. He was convicted of all of the counts. During his trial before a judge and jury, some of the proceedings occurred in Mr.
Dedam’s absence. Because I find the violations of s. 650(1) of the Criminal Code amount to an infringement of s. 7 of the Charter , in this particular case, and because it requires us to allow the appeal and order a new trial, there is no need for me to set out details of the evidence adduced at trial. Suffice it to provide an overview of those instances when Mr.
Dedam was excluded from his trial. [ 5 ] The occasions of exclusion can be divided into four types: (1) when scheduling issues were addressed in the judge’s chambers; (2) during legal arguments; (3) once when the judge and counsel engaged in a discussion the particulars of which are unknown; and (4) during the course of Mr. Dedam’s own testimony. A. Scheduling Issues Addressed by the Judge in Chambers [ 6 ] Three times, issues of scheduling were addressed in Mr. Dedam’s absence in the judge’s chambers. One of these instances was initiated by his lawyer. Mr. Dedam’s lawyer did not object to the exclusion of Mr.
Dedam in any of these three instances. B. Addressing Legal Arguments in Mr. Dedam’s absence [ 7 ] One instance occurred when a legal argument was addressed in Mr. Dedam’s absence. This took place prior to court starting at 9:30 a.m. on September 15, 2016. In this instance, the matter discussed related to potential use by the defence of information in its possession and the applicability of R v. Shearing , 2002 SCC 58 , [2002] 3 S.C.R. 33 . At that time, counsel for Mr. Dedam explicitly stated it was “not much of an issue” that Mr.
Dedam was not present as it involved discussion of a legal matter and “designations were filed”. From the context of the conversation, it appears counsel was referring to designations under 650.01(1) of the Code , which allows counsel to represent the accused without the need for the latter to be present, but only when a designation is filed with the court. No such designation had been filed. C. Discussion with Counsel in the Absence of Mr. Dedam – Specifics of Discussion Unknown [ 8 ] On one occasion, the judge asked to see counsel in chambers and no record of the discussion was kept.
The judge’s request occurred after cross-examination of one of the victims. The judge wanted to determine whether Crown counsel should be allowed to pursue a particular area of re-examination. Counsel for Mr. Dedam agreed to the in-chambers meeting and did not raise the issue of Mr. Dedam’s absence. After returning from the in-chambers meeting, counsel for Mr. Dedam was permitted to engage in further cross-examination before the Crown commenced its re-direct. D. Exclusion of Mr. Dedam During the Course of His Testimony [ 9 ] As stated above, Mr. Dedam testified at trial.
As he was being questioned, certain issues arose that required exclusion of the jury. On four occasions when this occurred, Mr. Dedam was also excluded from the courtroom as the judge and counsel addressed matters of law or procedure.
(1) Occasion 1
[ 10 ] On the first day he testified, just before the morning break, Mr. Dedam was excused from the courtroom at the same time as the jury. In his absence, the judge and counsel discussed the rule in Browne v. Dunn (1893), 1893 CanLII 65 (FOREP) , 6 R. 67 (H.L.) , and addressed an objection from the Crown with respect to Mr. Dedam’s counsel referring to him as “Chief”. No one objected to Mr. Dedam’s exclusion from the courtroom.
(2) Occasion 2 [ 11 ] Later, Mr. Dedam was again excluded from the courtroom while the trial judge addressed a Crown objection regarding the relevance of certain evidence defence counsel intended to introduce. There had been an initial discussion regarding the relevance of the evidence in the presence of both the jury and Mr. Dedam; however, when it became clear the issue would not be resolved quickly, the trial judge excused the jury from the courtroom and asked Mr. Dedam to wait outside. In his absence, defence counsel and Crown counsel engaged in discussions concerning the relevance of the proposed evidence.
As a result, the trial judge directed defence counsel to avoid getting into certain areas. This discussion continued for nine pages of the transcript. Following the discussion, Mr. Dedam and the jury returned to the courtroo m. There was no objection to Mr. Dedam being excluded and no discussion about the propriety of excluding him from the courtroom.
(3) Occasion 3 [ 12 ] Mr. Dedam was excused when the trial judge engaged counsel in a discussion about elements of her charge to the jury. Once again, defence counsel did not object to their client’s exclusion from the courtroom. The discussion at this time involved primarily logistical issues relating to counsel receiving a copy of the judge’s charge to the jury for their review. The discussion was later referenced with Mr. Dedam present in the courtroom.
(4) Occasion 4 [ 13 ] Mr. Dedam was excluded from the courtroom while the judge responded to an objection by defence counsel regarding the cross-examination. In dealing with the objection, the trial judge advised of the potential to call rebuttal evidence. Mr. Dedam’s counsel did not object to his exclusion from the courtroom during this exchange. III. Ground of Appeal [ 14 ] Mr. Dedam contends his statutory right to be present at his trial pursuant to s. 650(1) of the Criminal Code and his s. 7 Charter right were infringed. By amended Notice of Appeal, Mr.
Dedam added the following ground of appeal: The exclusion of the Appellant from the courtroom, during his evidence or otherwise was an error of law contrary to s. 650(1) of the Criminal Code and s. 7 of the Charter and cannot be cured by resort to s. 686(1) (b)(iv) of the Criminal Code of Canada. IV. Analysis A.
Section 650 of the Criminal Code of Canada [ 15 ] Section 650(1) of the Criminal Code currently provides:
Accused to be present 650(1) Subject to subsections (1.1) to (2) andsection 650.01, an accused, other than anorganization, shall be present in court duringthe whole of his or her trial. Présence de l’accusé 650(1)
Sous réserve des paragraphes (1.1) à(2) et de l’article 650.01, l’accusé, autrequ’une organisation, doit être présent autribunal pendant tout son procès. [16] Subsections (1.1) and (1.2) set out conditions that could lead to an accused appearing by counsel or by closed-circuit television, while subsection (2) provides for instances when a trial judge can order or allow an accused to be excluded from thetrial proceeding. It reads as follows: 650(2) The court may (
a) cause the accused to be removed and to bekept out of court, where he misconductshimself by interrupting the proceedings sothat to continue the proceedings in hispresence would not be feasible; (
b) permit the accused to be out of courtduring the whole or any part of his trial onsuch conditions as the court considers proper;or (
c) cause the accused to be removed and to bekept out of court during the trial of an issue asto whether the accused is unfit to stand trial,where it is satisfied that failure to do so mighthave an adverse effect on the mentalcondition of the accused. 650(2) Le tribunal peut, selon le cas :
a) faire éloigner l’accusé et le faire garder àl’extérieur du tribunal lorsqu’il se conduitmal en interrompant les procédures, au pointqu’il serait impossible de les continuer en saprésence;
b) permettre à l’accusé d’être à l’extérieur dutribunal pendant la totalité ou toute
partie deson procès, aux conditions qu’il juge àpropos;
c) faire éloigner et garder l’accusé hors dutribunal pendant l’examen de la question desavoir si l’accusé est inapte à subir sonprocès, lorsqu’il est convaincu que l’omissionde ce faire pourrait avoir un effetpréjudiciable sur l’état mental de l’accusé. [17] In sum, subject to some modifications and exceptions, s. 650(1) of the Code provides that “an accused […]shall be present in court during the whole of his or her trial”.
In the present case, none of the modifications or exceptions applied. [18] Two important principles underlie s. 650(1): (1) the requirement ensures the accused will be present to hear thecase he or she faces and is thereby able to put forward a defence; and (2) the accused observes the entire process by which he or she istried and is able to observe the correct procedure is being followed and the trial is fair. [19] In R. v. Barrow, (CSC), [1987] 2 SCR 694, [1987] S.C.J.
No. 84 (QL), Dickson C.J., for themajority, states the latter principle is “of enormous importance to the perceived fairness of the Canadian criminal justice system” (para.20). In order to determine whether the exclusion of an accused contravenes s. 650(1), the following question must be answered: did theexclusion take place during the trial? The Supreme Court has provided guidance respecting what constitutes “the trial” for the purposesof s. 650(1). Citing Lamer J. in R. v. Côté, (CSC), [1986] 1 SCR 2, [1986] S.C.J.
No. 2 (QL), Dickson C.J. states inBarrow “s. 577(1) (now s. 650(1)) is triggered whenever the ‘vital interests’ of the accused are at stake” (para.21). [20] Dickson C.J. borrows from Martin J.A.’s statement in R. v. Hertrich, (ON CA), [1982] O.J.No. 496 (CA) (QL), and endorses the definition of what constitutes “part of the trial” for the purposes of s. 650(1) as being “when adecision bears on the ‘substantive conduct of the trial’”. [21] In Hertrich, Martin J.A. states as follows:
Generally speaking, the trial of an accused does not commence until after plea: see Giroux v. The King (1917), (SCC),29 C.C.C. 258 at p. 268.
However, “trial” for the purpose of the principle that an accused is entitled to be present at his trial clearlyincludes proceedings which are part of the normal trial process for determining the guilt or innocence of the accused such as arraignmentand plea, the empanelling of the jury, the reception of evidence (including voir dire proceedings with respect to the admissibility ofevidence), rulings on evidence, arguments of counsel, addresses of counsel to the jury, the judge’s charge, including requests by the juryfor further instructions, the reception of the verdict and the imposition of sentence if the accused is found guilty. [para. 50] [Emphasis added.] [22] R. v.
E.(F.E.), 2011 ONCA 783, [2011] O.J. No. 5738 (QL), also provides specific direction regarding whatconstitutes part of the trial for the purposes of s. 650(1): When issues arise about the propriety of an actual or proposed line of cross-examination of a witness in the witness box, it iscommonplace for one or both parties to ask and the trial judge to direct the jury and witness to retire while submissions and a ruling aremade on the dispute. For the ordinary witness, exclusions do not amount to a procedural irregularity. But an accused who testifies on hisor her own behalf is not an ordinary witness.
An accused who takes up the mantle of a witness remains an accused whose presence forthe whole of the trial is required by s. 650(1) of the Criminal Code. Despite the concurrence of counsel about a witness’ exclusion, trialjudges must remain vigilant to ensure that the witness they are excluding is not an accused. [para. 39] [Emphasis added.] Further, Watt J.A. states: What happened here was that the intentional and understandable exclusion of a witness resulted in the exclusion of the appellant and abreach of s. 650(1) of the Criminal Code. This should not have occurred.
An accused has the right to be present throughout the entiretyof his or her trial, including during discussions pertaining to cross-examination. [para. 44] [23] The underlined passages above particularly apply in this appeal. Based on Hertrich, Counsel agree that Mr.Dedam’s exclusion while counsel and the judge were discussing scheduling matters did not constitute exclusion for “part of the trial”.But for those specific instances of exclusion, Mr. Dedam should have been present. His exclusions during instances when his testimonywas interrupted were particularly egregious.
It appears both counsel and the judge mistakenly believed Mr. Dedam should be treated inthe same manner as any other witness. As a result, Mr. Dedam was excluded and did not hear the discussions regarding testimony thatoccurred in the jury’s absence. In my view, Mr. Dedam’s “vital interests” were engaged when these issues were discussed in his absence.Thus, there were clear violations of s. 650(1) of the Criminal Code. [24] I pause here to postulate that Mr.
Dedam’s exclusion from the courtroom when his testimony was interruptedwas the result of a misunderstanding of not only the principles set out above, but also of broader principles that govern the testimony ofwitnesses. It appears that it is common in New Brunswick for trial judges to instruct witnesses not to communicate with counsel duringrecesses and adjournments. This instruction was given 15 times during Mr.
Dedam’s testimony: • Trial Transcript, Vol. 9, p. 47, ll. 14-16 (examination-in-chief); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 9, p. 100–101, ll. 20-1 (cross-examination); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 10, p. 28, ll. 9-12 (cross-examination); • The instruction was also given during the testimony of other witnesses; • Trial Transcript, Vol. 2, p. 31, ll. 7-14 (examination-in-chief); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 2, p. 59, ll. 16-22 (examination-in-chief); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 3, p. 59, ll. 1-9 (cross-examination); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 4, p. 74–75, ll. 21-4 (examination-in-chief); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 4, p. 101, ll. 16-21(examination-in-chief); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 4, p. 176, ll. 4-7 (cross-examination);
• Trial Transcript, Vol. 5, p. 9, ll. 5-14 (examination-in-chief); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 5, p. 24, ll. 18-20 (examination-in-chief); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 6, p. 44, ll. 17-21 (examination-in-chief); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 7, p. 36, ll. 15-22 (cross-examination); • Trial Transcript, Vol. 7, p. 133–134, ll. 18-4 (examination-in-chief). [ 25 ] On these occasions, the trial judge directed the witness, who was being questioned under direct examination, not to speak with anyone about the case, including counsel. In my view, this instruction is incorrect. [ 26 ] In a concurring judgment in R. c.
Peruta , [ 1992] J.Q. no 1886 (C.A.Q.) (QL), at para. 70 , Proulx J.A. quoted the following passage from Earl A Cherniak, Q.C., “The Ethics of Advocacy” in Franklin R Moskoff, Q.C., ed, Advocacy in Court: A Tribute to Arthur Maloney, QC (Toronto: Canada Law Book Inc, 1986) 101 at 105: It is commonly understood that counsel conducting examination-in-chief may communicate with a witness while he or she is being examined in chief with regard to matters that have not yet been dealt with and may communicate not at all with his witness during cross- examination or re-examination . However, exceptions do occur.
For instance, suppose a medical witness, whose examination had concluded in chief the day before, approached counsel unsolicited the next morning saying that he made an error in the previous day's testimony and wished to correct it, without indicating what the error was. It would probably be in order to bring the matter to the attention of the trial judge in open court. Most judges would allow the witness to explain his error. [Emphasis added.] [ 27 ] The underlined portion of the above passage is the correct statement of the “no communication” rule.
In some jurisdictions, the rule had been varied by rules of professional conduct for lawyers. For example, the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society Code of Professional Conduct , ch. 5.4-3, commentary 5 provides: “In Nova Scotia, a lawyer may not communicate with a witness during examination in chief except with leave of the tribunal”.
Nova Scotia is the only province with this outright prohibition on discussion between counsel and their witnesses during direct examination. [ 28 ] In New Brunswick, the rules of conduct expressly adopt the Peruta articulation of the common law rule: “A lawyer may communicate with a witness during examination-in-chief. However, there may be local exceptions to this practice”.
I note that the Federation of Law Societies of Canada Model Code of Professional Conduct contains the same provision, verbatim ( Law Society of New Brunswick, Code of Professional Conduct, ch 5.4-3, commentary 5). [ 29 ] The excerpted passage from Peruta has been cited in: R. c. Tshiamala , 2011 QCCA 439 , [ 2011] Q.J. No. 2103 (QL) , at para. 158 ; R. v. Fullerton, [1997] 34 WCB (2d) 316 , 1997 CarswellOnt 1155 at para. 32 (Ct J (Gen Div)) (Crown counsel was permitted to speak with a defence witness while the witness was under direct examination). [ 30 ] In the case of Mr.
Dedam, the incorrect instruction is especially problematic. In one instance, Mr. Dedam was excluded from the courtroom during a discussion regarding the relevancy of his evidence regarding the manner in which he was treated by the Chief and Council of his First Nation. Because of the judge’s instruction, Mr. Dedam’s lawyers would have been prohibited from informing their client of even the very subject-matter of what had been discussed. This is precarious given the discussion during Mr. Dedam’s exclusion was “part of the trial” for the purposes of s. 650(1). B.
Did the s. 650 violations amount to a violation of s. 7 of the Charter ? [ 31 ] Counsel for Mr. Dedam invited us to conclude Mr. Dedam’s exclusion from portions of his trial amounted to a violation of s. 7 of the Charter . He submits, quite apart from the statutory right to be present, there is a constitutional dimension to the right to be present throughout. Clearly, when an accused is on trial, his or her liberty interest, as guaranteed by s. 7 , is engaged. One has the right to liberty and not to be deprived of that right except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.
[32] Nowhere in the Charter does it state the accused’s right to be present for “the whole of his or her trial” isspecifically protected. Nonetheless, the right to be present during trial can still be a right that is protected by the Charter. Specifically, itappears the right to be present during trial is a principle of fundamental justice and, therefore, depending upon the case, could beprotected by s. 7. Additionally, the right to be present could be interpreted to be a component of the right to a “fair … hearing” under s.11(d).
Charter protection respecting the right to be present was first expressly stated in R. v. Czucman, (ON CA),[1986] O.J. No. 44 (C.A.) (QL): In our system, the right of an accused to be present to face his accuser and cross-examine him, to give evidence, to make full answer anddefence and generally to participate in the trial is fundamental. Fairness demands no less than this, s. 577(1) [now s. 650(1)] of the Coderequires this and the Charter guarantees this. [para. 8] [Emphasis added.] [33] This statement was affirmed by the Ontario Court of Appeal in R. v. Tzimopoulos, (ON CA),[1986] O.J.
No. 817 (C.A.) (QL), at para. 73. The statement has also been endorsed in other decisions: R. v. Otis, [1988] P.E.I.J. No. 103,(QL); R. v. Quesnele, [1986] 17 WCB 259, 1986 CarswellOnt 3445, at para. 12 (Prov Ct); 2412-3473 Québec inc c.
Montréal (Courmunicipale) (1994), JE 94-1408, 1994 CarswellQue 794, at para. 29. [34] Though the above passage from Czucman does not contain an express reference to a specific Charterprovision, the word “fundamental” would seem to be a reference to s. 7 and the word “fairness” equally seems to be a reference to s.11(d). [35] Before proceeding, I should mention that Czucman received negative treatment in R. v. Garofoli, (ON CA), [1988] O.J. No. 365 (ONC.A.) (QL).
However, the negative treatment did not relate to the principle that the Charterguarantees the accused’s right to be present at trial. [36] There are several other cases that have referenced Charter protection for the right to be present. First, in R. v.Laws, (ON CA), [1998] O.J. No. 3623 (C.A.) (QL), the court states: It is a fundamental principle of our criminal law that a person charged with an indictable offence is entitled to be personally present at histrial. Its constitutional foundation is the right of an accused to a fair and public trial.
This principle is codified in s. 650(1) of the CriminalCode. [para. 79] [37] In addition to protection under s. 11(d), there is further support for protection of the accused’s right to bepresent under s. 7. Wilkinson J.A., for the court, in R. v. Bitternose, 2009 SKCA 54, [2009] S.J. No. 256 (QL), states: Despite the imperative wording of s. 650 (“shall be present”) and the constitutional rights embedded in the Charter, the entitlement to bepresent throughout one’s trial was never absolute, and was subject to reasonable limitations. In R. v.
Czuczman, Brooke J.A. acceptedthat an accused’s right to be present was constitutionally protected under s. 7 of the Charter, and that the criminal justice system gave anaccused the right to face his accuser, cross-examine, give evidence, make full answer and defence, and generally participate in thetrial. These rights were fundamental, and fairness demanded no less. [para. 87] [38] More recently in R. v. Jorgge, 2013 ONCA 485, [2013] O.J. No. 3343 (QL), the court dealt with whether anaccused’s right to be present is protected by both ss. 7 and 11(
d) of the Charter: Under s. 650(1) of the Criminal Code, accused persons have a statutory right, indeed an obligation, to be present at their trial. Section650(1) is grounded in an accused’s right to a fair trial and right to make full answer and defence, which are now guaranteed by ss. 7 and11(
d) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms: see R. v. Laws (1998), (ON CA), 41 O.R. (3d) 499 (Ont.C.A.), at p. 521; R. v. Czuczman (1986), (ON CA), 54 O.R. (2d) 574 (Ont. C.A.), at pp. 576-577. [para. 12] C. Curative proviso vs. remedy for Charter violation
[ 39 ] In some cases, an appeal may be dismissed even if there was an error on a question of law (s. 686(b)(iii)) provided there was no substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice, or even if there was a procedural irregularity (686(1)(b)(iv)) provided the appellant suffered no prejudice. [ 40 ] Section 686(1)(b)(iii) of the Criminal Code currently provides: Powers 686
(1) On the hearing of an appeal against a conviction or against a verdict that the appellant is unfit to stand trial or not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder, the court of appeal […] (
b) may dismiss the appeal where […] (iii) notwithstanding that the court is of the opinion that on any ground mentioned in subparagraph (a)(ii) the appeal might be decided in favour of the appellant, it is of the opinion that no substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice has occurred[.] Pouvoir 686
(1) Lors de l’audition d’un appel d’une déclaration de culpabilité ou d’un verdict d’inaptitude à subir son procès ou de non- responsabilité criminelle pour cause de troubles mentaux, la cour d’appel: […]
b) peut rejeter l’appel, dans l’un ou l’autre des cas suivants : […] (iii) bien qu’elle estime que, pour un motif mentionné au sous-alinéa a)(ii), l’appel pourrait être décidé en faveur de l’appelant, elle est d’avis qu’aucun tort important ou aucune erreur judiciaire grave ne s’est produit[.] [ 41 ] This
section relates to appeals by an accused from conviction, a finding of unfitness, or a verdict of not guilty on account of insanity. [ 42 ] In this case, the Crown has requested the curative proviso be applied, submitting if the exclusion of Mr. Dedam from his trial was an error, it was a procedural irregularity which did not cause him any prejudice. [ 43 ] In R. v. Chan , 2002 ABQB 866 , [2002] A.J.
No. 1166 (QL) , the court mentions s. 24(1) : […] the right of an accused under s . 650 to be present for the whole of his or her trial is protected by the Charter and therefore the Court should be entitled to fashion a remedy under s . 24 of the Charter in the event of a breach. [para. 33] However, the judge found that there was no violation of s. 650(1) and therefore did not consider this argument. [ 44 ] There is no mention of s. 24(1) in R. v. Simon , 2010 ONCA 754 , [2010] O.J. No. 4723 (QL) , which is a leading case respecting s. 650(1) jurisprudence.
Watt J.A. summarized the appellant’s arguments at the hearing and made no mention of any argument that s. 24(1) was the applicable remedy. Nor does Watt J.A. raise the possibility (or, more accurately, the necessity) of using s. 24(1). In any event, Watt J.A. lists a number of factors to be considered in determining whether a s. 650(1) breach can be salvaged by s. 686(1) (b)(iv) (para. 123). He then went on to determine, if the exclusion in that case did constitute exclusion during part of the trial, he
would apply s. 686(1)(b)(iv): (paras. 126-131). [45] There are countless appellate decisions that have cited Simon and have either: 1) applied s. 686(1)(b)(iv) tocure the accused’s exclusion during the trial; or 2) found no breach of the right to be present at trial but held that, if there had been abreach, s. 686(1)(b)(iv) would have been applicable. See: R. v. Iyamuremye, 2017 ABCA 276, [2017] A.J. No. 877 (QL), at para. 103; R.v. T. (L.W.), 2008 SKCA 17, at paras. 27-33; R. v. Dayes, 2013 ONCA 614, [2013] O.J. No. 4615 (QL), at paras. 70-78.
These are just afew examples, of which there are many. [46] However, I was unable to locate a case where a court has addressed whether s. 686(1)(b)(iv) is available toremedy the absence of the accused during part of their trial in light of the fact that a breach of s. 650 can amount to a breach ss. 7 and11(
d) of the Charter. I am left to conclude this argument has either not previously been raised or has only been raised in cases where theappellate courts have found no breach of s. 650 and therefore did not have a reason to consider whether s. 24(1) was applicable. [47] If a breach of s. 650 is a breach of the Charter, then s. 686(1)(b)(iv) is not an applicable remedy. This is aninescapable conclusion given the decision in R. v. Tran, (CSC), [1994] 2 SCR 951, [1994] S.C.J. No. 16 (QL). In thatcase, a Vietnamese man, who spoke little English, had been convicted of sexual assault.
The Supreme Court held the failure to providethe accused with “[…] full and contemporaneous translation of all the evidence at trial […]” (para. 8), breached the accused’s right to aninterpreter contrary to s. 14 of the Charter. [48] The Crown argued for the application of s. 686(1)(b)(iii) as a remedy. Lamer C.J. declined to apply thatprovision and went on to state s. 686(1)(b)(iv) was also inapplicable in the circumstances.
The following two passages are the mostrelevant for our purposes: […] Section 686(1)(b)(iv), a relatively new provision of the Code introduced in 1985, is also designed to permit a court to dismiss anappeal from a conviction, but in cases of procedural irregularity where the Crown can show that the accused suffered no prejudice. Inother words, where the fairness of the proceedings has not been detrimentally affected, the Code effectively permits the error in questionto be “cured”, thereby allowing the appeal from conviction to be dismissed.
While denial of a Charter right constitutes an error of law, it is by its very constitutional nature a serious error of law, and certainly notone which, for Criminal Code purposes, can be characterized as minor or harmless, or as a “procedural irregularity”. Therefore, I find asa matter of law that a violation of s. 14 of the Charter precludes application of both s. 686(1)(b)(iii) and s. 686(1)(b)(iv) of the Code.
Tothe extent that a particular Charter violation is more or less serious and/or prejudices an accused to a greater or lesser degree, this raisesremedial issues which fall squarely to be decided under s. 24(1) of the Charter, not under the Criminal Code. [paras. 96-97] [49] According to Tran, if the right to be present during trial is protected by the Charter, then a violation of thatright is an “error of law” that is “serious” and “for Criminal Code purposes” cannot be characterized as a “procedural irregularity”. Inthis case, the violations are egregious and amount to a Charter violation.
The exclusion affects trial fairness. This forecloses thepossibility of applying s. 686(1)(b)(iv) to cure the exclusion of Mr. Dedam during his trial. As a result, s. 24(1) of the Charter is left asthe only possible remedial avenue. [50] I note even if it could be argued the right to be present is not a Charter right, the availability of s. 686(1)(b)(iv)requires the exclusion neither cause the accused prejudice nor “negatively impact the perception of fairness key to the criminal justicesystem” (see R. v. W.(B.B.), 2014 SKCA 18, [2014] S.J. No. 97, paras. 9-12). [51] Perception of fairness is discussed in R. v.
Khan, 2001 SCC 86, [2001] 3 SCR 823, which delineates for thepurposes of s. 686(1)(b)(iv), prejudice can be inferred: I agree with Goodman J.A. in Cloutier that s. 686(1)(b)(iv) was enacted to cure serious procedural irregularities, otherwise amounting toerrors of law, in cases where under the then existing case law, jurisdiction over the person, but not over the offence, had been lost.
I alsoagree with Goodman J.A. that under this new subparagraph, since the procedural irregularities in issue would have been serious ones, itis appropriate to infer prejudice without requiring in every case that the accused demonstrate prejudice. The inference may of course berebutted and the test of prejudice under that subsection should be the same as the no substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice, under s.686(1)(b)(iii), which has been the subject of extensive pronouncement by this Court. [para. 16]
D. Does a breach of s. 650 constitute a breach of the Charter ? [ 52 ] I accept as correct the statements of law set out above that, in certain instances, a violation of s. 650(1) can amount to breaches of both ss. 7 and 11(
d) of the Charter . The egregious nature of some of the incidents where Mr. Dedam was excluded, particularly in the course of his testifying, raises the violations of s. 650(1) to the level of Charter breaches. E. Application of s. 24(1) [ 53 ] I cannot accept the Crown's argument that any violation of ss. 7 and 11(
d) of the Charter in this case was of such a minor or technical nature that the curative proviso of the Criminal Code , s. 686(1)(b)(iii), should be applied and the appeal dismissed. In my view, neither s. 686(1) (b)(iii) nor, I might add, s. 686(1) (b)(iv) have any application when what is in issue is a breach of ss. 7 and 11(
d) of the Charter . Where the violation of 650(1) of the Criminal Code is, as is in this case, so egregious so as to amount to a Charter violation, the Court must turn to s. 24(1) to determine the appropriate remedy. [ 54 ] In Tran , Lamer C.J. instructs: As a general rule, the appropriate remedy under s. 24(1) of the Charter for a breach of s. 14 of the Charter will be the same as it would be under the common law and under statutory guarantees, such as s. 650 of the Code or s. 2(
g) of the Canadian Bill of Rights -- namely, a re-hearing of the issue or proceeding in which the violation occurred. For example, where the violation takes place within the trial proper, it will generally be necessary to quash the conviction being appealed from and to order a new trial. Where, on the other hand, the violation takes place in some discrete and severable part of the proceedings, such as in a bail or sentencing hearing, a new hearing of the issue will usually be the fitting remedy under s. 24(1).
However, it is important to recognize that s. 24(1) empowers a court to do what it considers to be “appropriate and just” in the circumstances.
The remedial flexibility which is provided for in s. 24(1) may allow a court, in the right circumstances, to grant a remedy which either exceeds or falls short of the remedy I have suggested will normally be appropriate in cases where s. 14 of the Charter has been violated (i.e., a re-hearing of the issue). […] In sum, recourse should be had to s. 24(1) of the Charter , not to the curative provisos of the Code , when dealing with an infringement of the right to interpreter assistance.
While the remedy for a violation will normally be an order directing a new hearing of the issue or proceeding in which the violation occurred, s. 24(1) allows a court to tailor the remedy to the particular circumstances of the violation. [paras. 99 abd 101] In this particular case, there is no remedy short of setting aside the verdict and ordering a new trial that can correct the violations. Mr Dedam’s repeated exclusions in the circumstances described above were egregious. It may be that, in other circumstances, a different remedy would be appropriate, but that is not the case with respect to Mr. Dedam. V.
Conclusion [ 55 ] In my view, the exclusions of Mr. Dedam constitute a breach of s. 650(1) of the Criminal Code . Further, the exclusions constitute breaches of his Charter rights under both ss. 7 and 11(d) . As a result, the rule from Tran , s. 686(1)(b)(iv) cannot be used to cure these exclusions. Furthermore, due to the fact the violation of ss. 7 and 11(
d) of the Charter in this case occurred in the trial proper, and not in some discrete and severable part of the proceeding, I find that the appropriate and just remedy under s. 24(1) of the Charter is to allow the appeal, set aside the conviction and order a new trial. VI. Disposition [ 56 ] I would therefore allow the appeal, set aside the conviction and order a new trial.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] L’un des principes fondamentaux du droit criminel canadien porte que, en général, l’accusé a le droit d’être présent lors de son procès. En fait, ce principe même est prévu dans le Code criminel du Canada, qui dispose que l’accusé « doit être présent au tribunal pendant tout son procès » : par. 650(1) .
Les exceptions à cette exigence sont peu nombreuses; en 2016, aucune exception ne s’appliquait à Wilbur Dedam pendant qu’il subissait son procès devant juge et jury à la Cour du Banc de la Reine pour répondre à six accusations d’agression sexuelle. Pourtant, dans non moins de neuf cas, M. Dedam a été exclu de son procès. Dans certains cas, seules des questions d’établissement du calendrier ont été abordées par la juge et les avocats. Dans d’autres cas, la juge a toutefois entendu les arguments juridiques ou les observations des avocats. Dans quatre cas, M. Dedam a été exclu pendant son témoignage. [2] M.
Dedam a été déclaré coupable relativement à six chefs d’agression sexuelle et condamné à une peine totale d’emprisonnement de neuf ans. Il a interjeté appel de la déclaration de culpabilité prononcée contre lui. Bien que M. Dedam n’ait pas initialement invoqué son exclusion du procès comme moyen d’appel, l’avis d’appel a été modifié pour inclure ce moyen quand son avocat en appel (et non son avocat lors du procè
s) a appris qu’il avait été exclu du procès. [3] À mon avis, ce moyen d’appel supplémentaire permet de trancher l’appel de M. Dedam. Il y a eu violation constante et catégorique du par. 650(1) du Code criminel et la gravité cumulative des violations a violé les droits conférés à M. Dedam par l’ art. 7 de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés . Eu égard aux circonstances de l’espèce, dans lesquelles rien ne justifie exceptionnellement l’exclusion de M. Dedam de son procès, son exclusion a violé son droit qu’il ne soit porté atteinte à sa liberté qu’en conformité avec les principes de justice fondamentale.
L’atteinte déclenche la nécessité que la tenue d’un nouveau procès soit ordonnée comme réparation convenable et juste sous le régime du par. 24(1) de la Charte . II. Les faits [4] Wilbur Dedham a été jugé sur un acte d’accusation qui comportait six accusations d’agression sexuelle perpétrée contre trois sœurs qui, après le décès de leurs parents, étaient allées vivre dans la famille de M. Dedam. Il a été déclaré coupable sous chaque chef d’accusation. Pendant son procès devant juge et jury, certaines procédures se sont déroulées en son absence.
Étant donné que j’estime que les violations du par. 650(1) du Code criminel sont assimilables à une violation de l’ art. 7 de la Charte , en l’espèce, et étant donné que cela oblige la Cour à accueillir l’appel et à ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès, je n’ai pas à fournir les détails des éléments de preuve présentés lors du procès. Il me suffit de donner un aperçu des cas où M.
Dedam a été exclu de son procès. [5] Les cas d’exclusion peuvent être divisés en quatre catégories : (1) les fois où des questions d’établissement du calendrier ont été traitées dans le cabinet de la juge; (2) pendant la présentation d’arguments juridiques; (3) la fois où la juge et les avocats ont eu une discussion dont on ignore les détails; et (4) pendant le témoignage de M. Dedam. A. Questions d’établissement du calendrier traitées par la juge dans son cabinet [6] À trois occasions, des questions d’établissement du calendrier ont été traitées en l’absence de M. Dedam dans le cabinet de la juge.
À l’une de ces occasions, l’avocat de M. Dedam a entamé la discussion. Il ne s’est opposé à l’exclusion de M. Dedam en aucun de ces trois cas. B. Arguments juridiques traités en l’absence de M. Dedam
[7] À une occasion, un argument juridique a fait l’objet d’une discussion en l’absence de M. Dedam. La discussion a eu lieu avant l’audience qui débutait à 9 h 30 le 15 septembre 2016. À cette occasion, le sujet abordé se rapportait à l’utilisation éventuelle par la défense de renseignements qui étaient en sa possession et à la pertinence de l’ arrêt R c. Shearing , 2002 CSC 58 , [2002] 3 R.C.S. 33 . L’avocat de M.
Dedam a alors dit que l’absence de ce dernier [TRADUCTION] « ne posait pas vraiment problème » parce que la discussion portait sur une question juridique et que [TRADUCTION] « des documents de désignation avaient été déposés ». Il ressort du contexte de la conversation que l’avocat semblait faire allusion au document mentionné au par. 650.01(1) du Code , qui permet qu’un avocat représente l’accusé sans que ce dernier ne doive être présent, mais uniquement si un document de désignation a été déposé auprès du tribunal. Aucune désignation de ce type n’avait été déposée. C.
Discussion avec les avocats en l’absence de M. Dedam – détails de la discussion inconnus [8] À une occasion, la juge a demandé à rencontrer les avocats dans son cabinet et la discussion n’a pas été consignée. La juge a fait sa demande après le contre-interrogatoire de l’une des victimes. La juge voulait décider s’il convenait de permettre au ministère public d’aborder un certain sujet lors du réinterrogatoire. L’avocat de M. Dedam a consenti à la tenue de la rencontre en cabinet et n’a pas soulevé le problème lié à l’absence de M. Dedam. Après son retour de la rencontre tenue en cabinet, l’avocat de M.
Dedam a pu poursuivre le contre-interrogatoire avant que le ministère public ne commence le réinterrogatoire. D. Exclusion de M. Dedam au cours de son témoignage [9] Comme je l’ai dit précédemment, M. Dedam a témoigné lors du procès. Pendant qu’on l’interrogeait, certains points ont été soulevés et ont nécessité l’exclusion du jury. Dans quatre de ces cas, M. Dedam a aussi été exclu de la salle d’audience pendant que la juge et les avocats discutaient de questions de droit ou d’ordre procédural.
i) Premier cas [10] Le premier jour de son témoignage, immédiatement avant la pause matinale, M. Dedam a été excusé de la salle d’audience en même temps que le jury. En l’absence de M. Dedam, la juge et les avocats ont discuté de la règle énoncée dans l’arrêt Browne c. Dunn (1893), 1893 CanLII 65 (FOREP) , 6 R. 67 (Ch. des lords) , et ont traité d’une objection de l’avocat du ministère public concernant le fait que l’avocat de M. Dedam l’appelait [TRADUCTION] « Chef ». Personne ne s’est opposé à ce que M. Dedam soit exclu de la salle d’audience. ii) Deuxième cas [11] Plus tard, M.
Dedam a été exclu de nouveau de la salle d’audience pendant que la juge traitait d’une objection du ministère public concernant la pertinence de certains éléments de preuve que la défense entendait présenter. La pertinence de la preuve avait fait l’objet d’une discussion initiale en présence du jury et de M. Dedam; cependant, lorsqu’il est devenu évident que la question ne pouvait pas être tranchée rapidement, la juge du procès a exclu le jury de la salle d’audience et demandé à M. Dedam d’attendre à l’extérieur. En l’absence de M.
Dedam, les avocats de la défense et du ministère public ont discuté de la pertinence de la preuve proposée. Par conséquent, la juge du procès a ordonné à l’avocat de la défense de s’abstenir d’aborder certains sujets. Cette discussion s’est poursuivie sur neuf pages de la transcription. Après la discussion, M. Dedam et le jury ont regagné la salle d’audience . Il n’y a eu aucune objection quant à l’exclusion de M. Dedam et aucun débat concernant le bien-fondé de son exclusion de la salle d’audience. iii) Troisième cas [12] M.
Dedam a été excusé lorsque la juge du procès s’est mise à discuter avec les avocats de certains éléments de son exposé au jury. Encore une fois, l’avocat de la défense ne s’est pas opposé à ce que son client soit exclu de la salle d’audience. La discussion portait alors principalement sur des problèmes logistiques liés à la transmission aux avocats d’une copie de l’exposé de la juge au jury pour qu’ils en fassent l’examen. La discussion a été mentionnée par la suite en présence de M. Dedam dans la salle d’audience. iv) Quatrième cas
[13] M. Dedam a été exclu de la salle d’audience lorsque la juge a réagi à une objection de l’avocat de la défense concernant le contre-interrogatoire. En traitant de cette objection, la juge du procès a mentionné la présentation possible d’une contre-preuve. L’avocat de M. Dedam ne s’est pas opposé à ce que ce dernier soit exclu de la salle d’audience pendant cet échange . III. Moyen d’appel [14] M. Dedam soutient qu’il y a eu atteinte au droit que lui confère la loi d’être présent pendant son procès en application du par. 650(1) du Code criminel et au droit que lui garantit l’ art. 7 de la Charte .
Dans son avis d’appel modifié, M. Dedam a ajouté le moyen d’appel suivant : [TRADUCTION] L’exclusion de l’appelant de la salle d’audience, pendant son témoignage ou à d’autres moments, constituait une erreur de droit pour violation du par. 650(1) du Code criminel et de l’ art. 7 de la Charte à laquelle l’application du ss- al. 686(1) b)(iv) du Code criminel du Canada ne peut remédier. IV. Analyse A. L’
article 650 du Code criminel du Canada [15] Voici le texte actuel du paragraphe 650(1) du Code criminel : 650(1) Subject to subsections (1.1) to (2) and
section 650.01, an accused, other than an organization, shall be present in court during the whole of his or her trial. 650(1)
Sous réserve des paragraphes (1.1) à (2) et de l’article 650.01, l’accusé, autre qu’une organisation, doit être présent au tribunal pendant tout son procès. [16] Les paragraphes (1.1) et (1.2) énoncent les circonstances dans lesquelles un accusé pourrait être amené à comparaître par l’entremise d’un avocat ou en utilisant la télévision en circuit fermé, alors que le par. (2) prévoit les cas dans lesquels le juge du procès peut ordonner ou permettre qu’un accusé soit exclu lors de l’instruction de l’instance. En voici le texte : 650(2) The court may (
a) cause the accused to be removed and to be kept out of court, where he misconducts himself by interrupting the proceedings so that to continue the proceedings in his presence would not be feasible; (
b) permit the accused to be out of court during the whole or any part of his trial on such conditions as the court considers proper; or (
c) cause the accused to be removed and to be kept out of court during the trial of an issue as to whether the accused is unfit to stand trial, where it is satisfied that failure to do so might have an adverse effect on the mental condition of the accused. 650(2) Le tribunal peut, selon le cas :
a) faire éloigner l’accusé et le faire garder à l’extérieur du tribunal lorsqu’il se conduit mal en interrompant les procédures, au point qu’il serait impossible de les continuer en sa présence;
b) permettre à l’accusé d’être à l’extérieur du tribunal pendant la totalité ou toute
partie de son procès, aux conditions qu’il juge à propos;
c) faire éloigner et garder l’accusé hors du tribunal pendant l’examen de la question de savoir si l’accusé est inapte à subir son procès, lorsqu’il est convaincu que l’omission de ce faire pourrait avoir un effet préjudiciable sur l’état mental de l’accusé.
[17] En somme, sous réserve de certaines modifications et exceptions, le par. 650(1) du Code prévoitque « l’accusé […] doit être présent au tribunal pendant tout son procès » (je souligne).
En l’espèce, aucune des modifications ouexceptions n’était applicable. [18] Le paragraphe 650(1) repose sur deux principes importants : en premier lieu, l’exigence garantitque l’accusé sera présent pour entendre la preuve qui pèse contre lui, et il est ainsi en mesure d’opposer une défense; en second lieu,l’accusé assiste au déroulement de l’ensemble de la procédure suivie pour le juger et il peut veiller à ce qu’elle soit correcte et à ce que leprocès soit équitable. [19] Dans l’arrêt R. c.
Barrow, (CSC), [1987] 2 R.C.S. 694, [1987] A.C.S. no 84(QL), le juge en chef Dickson, au nom des juges majoritaires, affirme que le second principe « revêt une importance considérable pour laperception que l’on peut avoir de l’impartialité de la justice criminelle canadienne » (par. 20). Pour décider si l’exclusion d’un accuséporte atteinte au par. 650(1), il faut répondre à la question suivante : L’exclusion est-elle survenue pendant le procès? La Cour suprême afourni certaines lignes directrices quant aux procédures qui constituent « le procès » pour l’application du par. 650(1).
Citant les proposdu juge Lamer (tel était alors son titre) dans l’arrêt Vézina et Côté c. La Reine, (CSC), [1986] 1 R.C.S. 2, [1986] A.C.S. no 2 (QL), le juge en chef Dickson (tel était alors son titre) affirme dans l’arrêt Barrow que « le par. 577(1) [l’actuel par. 650(1)]s’applique chaque fois que les “intérêts vitaux” de l’accusé sont en jeu » (par. 21). [20] Le juge en chef Dickson reprend la déclaration faite par le juge d’appel Martin dans R. c.Hertrich, (ON CA), [1982] O.J. No. 496 (C.A. Ont.) (QL), et fait sienne la définition portant qu’une procédure fait«
partie intégrante du procès », pour l’application du par. 650(1), « lorsqu’une décision [qui y sera rendue] a un effet sur[TRADUCTION] “la conduite du procès en soi” ». [21] Dans Hertrich, le juge d’appel Martin affirme ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] En règle générale, le procès d’un accusé ne commence qu’après le plaidoyer : voir Giroux v. The King (1917), (SCC), 29 C.C.C. 258, à la p. 268. Toutefois, le terme « procès », aux fins du principe selon lequel un accusé a le droit d’êtreprésent à son procès, inclut manifestement les procédures qui font
partie intégrante du processus normal du procès en vue de décider dela culpabilité ou de l’innocence de l’accusé, comme l’interpellation et le plaidoyer, la formation du jury, la réception des éléments depreuve (y compris les procédures de voir-dire concernant l’admissibilité d’éléments de preuve), les décisions au sujet des éléments depreuve, les plaidoiries des avocats, dont celles au jury, l’exposé du juge au jury, y compris les demandes de directives supplémentairesdu jury, le prononcé du verdict et de la sentence si l’accusé est reconnu coupable. [par. 50] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [22] La décision rendue dans l’affaire R. c.
E. (F.E.), 2011 ONCA 783, [2011] O.J. No. 5738 (QL),donne aussi des indications précises sur les procédures qui font
partie intégrante du procès pour l’application du par. 650(1) : [TRADUCTION]Lorsqu’un débat survient au sujet du bien-fondé d’une stratégie effective ou proposée en vue du contre-interrogatoire d’un témoin à labarre des témoins, il arrive fréquemment que les deux parties ou l’une d’elles demandent, et que le juge du procès ordonne, le retrait dujury et du témoin pendant que le différend est débattu et tranché. Du point de vue du témoin ordinaire, les exclusions ne sont pasassimilables à une irrégularité de procédure. Cependant, l’accusé qui témoigne pour son compte n’est pas un témoin ordinaire.
L’accuséqui assume le rôle de témoin demeure un accusé qui doit être présent pendant tout le procès en application du par. 650(1) du Codecriminel.
Malgré le consentement d’un avocat à l’exclusion d’un témoin, les juges de première instance doivent rester vigilants pourveiller à ce que le témoin qu’ils excluent ne soit pas un accusé. [par. 39] [C’est moi qui souligne.] Le juge d’appel Watt a ajouté : [TRADUCTION]En l’espèce, l’exclusion intentionnelle et compréhensible d’un témoin a entraîné l’exclusion de l’appelant et la violation du par. 650(1)du Code criminel. Cela n’aurait pas dû se produire. Un accusé a le droit d’être présent pendant tout son procès, y compris pendant les
discussions concernant le contre-interrogatoire. [par. 44] [23] Les passages soulignés des extraits précédents sont d’une pertinence particulière dans le cadre du présent appel. Sur le fondement de l’ arrêt Hertrich , les avocats sont d’accord pour dire que l’exclusion de M. Dedam pendant que les avocats et la juge discutaient de questions d’établissement du calendrier ne constituait pas une exclusion survenue pendant « une
partie intégrante du procès ». Sauf dans ces cas précis d’exclusion, M. Dedam aurait dû être présent. Son exclusion dans les cas où son témoignage a été interrompu était particulièrement grave. Il semble que les avocats et la juge aient estimé à tort que M. Dedam doit être traité comme n’importe quel autre témoin. Par conséquent, M. Dedam a été exclu et n’a pas entendu les discussions concernant le témoignage tenues en l’absence du jury. À mon avis, les « intérêts vitaux » de M. Dedam étaient en jeu lorsque ces questions ont été débattues en son absence.
Ainsi, il y a eu des violations évidentes du par. 650(1) du Code criminel . [24] Je m’arrête ici pour énoncer l’hypothèse que l’exclusion de M. Dedam de la salle d’audience lorsque son témoignage a été interrompu découlait d’une compréhension erronée non seulement des principes énoncés ci-dessus, mais aussi de principes d’application plus générale qui régissent les témoignages. Il semble que les juges de première instance du Nouveau- Brunswick ordonnent fréquemment aux témoins de ne pas communiquer avec les avocats pendant les périodes de pause et d’ajournement.
Cette directive a été donnée à quinze reprises pendant le témoignage de M.
Dedam : • Transcription du procès, vol. 9, p. 47, lignes 14 à 16 (interrogatoire principal); • Transcription du procès, vol. 9, p. 100 et 101, lignes 20 à 1 (contre-interrogatoire); • Transcription du procès, vol. 10, p. 28, lignes 9 à 12 (contre-interrogatoire); • La directive a aussi été donnée pendant les témoignages d’autres témoins; • Transcription du procès, vol. 2, p. 31, lignes 7 à 14 (interrogatoire principal); • Transcription du procès, vol. 2, p. 59, lignes 16 à 22 (interrogatoire principal); • Transcription du procès, vol. 3, p. 59, lignes 1 à 9 (contre-interrogatoire); • Transcription du procès, vol. 4, p. 74 et 75, lignes 21 à 4 (interrogatoire principal); • Transcription du procès, vol. 4, p. 101, lignes 16 à 21 (interrogatoire principal); • Transcription du procès, vol. 4, p. 176, lignes 4 à 7 (contre-interrogatoire); • Transcription du procès, vol. 5, p. 9, lignes 5 à 14 (interrogatoire principal); • Transcription du procès, vol. 5, p. 24, lignes 18 à 20 (interrogatoire principal); • Transcription du procès, vol. 6, p. 44, lignes 17 à 21 (interrogatoire principal); • Transcription du procès, vol. 7, p. 36, lignes 15 à 22 (contre-interrogatoire); • Transcription du procès, vol. 7, p. 133 et 134, lignes 18 à 4 (interrogatoire principal). [25] Dans ces cas, la juge du procès a ordonné au témoin, interrogé lors de l’interrogatoire principal, de ne parler de l’affaire à personne, pas même aux avocats.
À mon avis, cette directive est erronée. [26] Dans un jugement concordant rendu dans l’affaire R. c. Peruta , [ 1992] A.Q. n o 1886 (C.A.Q.) (QL) , le juge d’appel Proulx a cité, au par. 70, le passage suivant de l’article « The Ethics of Advocacy » de M e Earl A. Cherniak, c.r., publié dans l’ouvrage intitulé Advocacy in Court: A Tribute to Arthur Maloney, QC de M e Franklin R.
Moskoff, c.r., éd., (Toronto : Canada Law Book Inc., 1986), p. 101 à la p. 105 : [TRADUCTION] Il est communément admis que l’avocat qui mène un interrogatoire principal peut communiquer avec le témoin pendant son interrogatoire principal au sujet de points qui n’ont pas encore été soulevés, mais ne peut avoir aucune communication avec son témoin pendant le contre-interrogatoire ou le réinterrogatoire . Il existe toutefois des cas d’exception.
Par exemple, supposons qu’un témoin du domaine médical dont l’interrogatoire principal s’est terminé le jour précédent aborde lui-même les avocats le lendemain matin pour leur faire part d’une erreur qu’il a commise dans le témoignage qu’il a rendu la veille et de sa volonté de la corriger, sans décrire l’erreur. Il serait probablement de mise de porter la question à l’attention du juge du procès pendant la séance publique. La plupart des juges
permettraient au témoin d’expliquer son erreur. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [27]
Le passage souligné de l’extrait précédent correspond à la formulation correcte de la règle de« l’interdiction de communication ». Dans certains ressorts, la règle a été modifiée dans le code de déontologie des avocats. Par exemple,le Code of Professional Conduct de la Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society, ch. 5.4-3, commentaire 5, dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « EnNouvelle-Écosse, l’avocat ne peut pas communiquer avec un témoin durant l’interrogatoire principal sans l’autorisation du tribunal ».
LaNouvelle-Écosse est la seule province à interdire strictement les discussions entre les avocats et leurs témoins pendant l’interrogatoireprincipal. [28] Au Nouveau-Brunswick, le code de déontologie reprend explicitement la règle de common lawtelle qu’elle est formulée dans l’arrêt Peruta : « L’avocat peut habituellement communiquer avec le témoin durant l’interrogatoireprincipal, mais il peut y avoir des exceptions locales ».
Je constate que la même disposition se trouve mot à mot dans le Code type dedéontologie de la Fédération des ordres professionnels de juristes du Canada (Barreau du Nouveau-Brunswick, Code de déontologieprofessionnelle, ch. 5.4-3, commentaire 5). [29] L’extrait de l’arrêt Peruta, précité, a été cité dans les jugements suivants : R. c. Tshiamala, 2011 QCCA 439, [2011] A.Q. no 2103 (C.A.Q.) (QL), au par. 158; R. c. Fullerton, [1997] 34 WCB (2e) 316, 1997 CarswellOnt 1155, aupar. 32 (C.
Ont. (Div. gén.)) (autorisation accordée à l’avocat du ministère public de parler à un témoin de la défense pendantl’interrogatoire principal du témoin). [30] En ce qui concerne M. Dedam, la directive incorrecte est particulièrement problématique. Dansun cas, M. Dedam a été exclu de la salle d’audience pendant une discussion concernant la pertinence de sa preuve liée à la façon dont lechef et le conseil de sa Première Nation l’avaient traité. En raison de la directive donnée par la juge, les avocats de M. Dedam n’auraientmême pas pu informer leur client de l’objet même de la discussion.
Cette situation est précaire étant donné que la discussion tenuependant que M. Dedam était exclu faisait «
partie intégrante du procès » pour l’application du par. 650(1). B. Les violations de l’art. 650 sont-elles assimilables à une violation de l’art. 7 de la Charte? [31] L’avocat de M. Dedam a demandé à la Cour de conclure que l’exclusion de M. Dedam decertaines parties de son procès était assimilable à la violation de l’art. 7 de la Charte. Il fait valoir que, sans égard au droit d’originelégislative d’être présent, le droit d’être présent tout au long de son procès revêt une dimension constitutionnelle. Lorsqu’un accusé subitson procès, son droit à la liberté, garanti par l’art. 7, entre manifestement en jeu.
Chacun a droit à la liberté; il ne peut être porté atteinte àce droit qu’en conformité avec les principes de justice fondamentale. [32] Rien dans la Charte n’indique que le droit de l’accusé d’être présent pendant « tout son procès »est explicitement protégé. Le droit d’être présent pendant son procès peut néanmoins être protégé par la Charte. Plus précisément, ilsemble que le droit d’être présent pendant son procès soit un principe de justice fondamentale et, selon le cas, qu’il puisse donc êtreprotégé par l’art. 7.
De plus, le droit d’être présent pourrait être jugé comme un élément du droit à un « procès […] équitable » prévu àl’al. 11d). La protection conférée par la Charte à l’égard du droit d’être présent a été déclarée pour la première fois dans R. c. Czuczman, (ON CA), [1986] O.J. No. 44 (C.A. Ont.) (QL) : [TRADUCTION]Dans notre régime, le droit d’un accusé d’être présent pour faire face à son accusateur et le contre-interroger, de témoigner, de présenterune défense pleine et entière et, de façon générale, de prendre part au procès est fondamental.
L’équité ne demande rien de moins; lepar. 577(1) [l’actuel par. 650(1)] du Code l’exige et la Charte le garantit. [par. 8] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [33] La Cour d’appel de l’Ontario a confirmé cette déclaration dans R. c. Tzimopoulos, (ON CA), [1986] O.J. No. 817 (C.A. Ont.) (QL), au par. 73. La déclaration a aussi été adoptée dans d’autres décisions : R. c. Otis,[1988] P.E.I.J. No. 103, (QL); R. c. Quesnele, [1986] 17 WCB 259, 1986 CarswellOnt 3445, au par. 12 (C. prov. Ont.); 2412-3473Québec inc c. Montréal (Cour municipale) (1994), JE 94-1408, 1994 CarswellQue 794, au par. 29.
[34] Bien qu’aucune disposition particulière de la Charte ne soit mentionnée dans l’extrait précédentde l’arrêt Czuczman, le mot [TRADUCTION] « fondamental » semble renvoyer à l’art. 7; de même, le mot [TRADUCTION] « équité »semble renvoyer à l’al. 11d). [35] Avant de poursuivre, je dois mentionner que l’arrêt Czuczman a fait l’objet d’un traitementdéfavorable dans R. c. Garofoli, (ON CA), [1988] O.J. No. 365 (C.A. Ont.) (QL).
Ce traitement n’était toutefois paslié au principe portant que la Charte garantit le droit de l’accusé d’être présent lors de son procès. [36] La thèse d’une protection au droit d’être présent conférée par la Charte est mentionnée dansplusieurs autres jugements. D’abord, dans R. c. Laws, (ON CA), [1998] O.J. No. 3623 (C.A.) (QL), la Cour affirme : [TRADUCTION]C’est un principe fondamental de notre droit criminel qu’une personne inculpée d’un acte criminel a le droit d’être présente en personnelors de son procès.
Le fondement constitutionnel de ce principe réside dans le droit d’un accusé à un procès public et équitable. Ceprincipe est codifié au par. 650(1) du Code criminel. [par. 79] [37] En plus de l’existence d’une protection au
titre de l’al. 11d), on trouve aussi un certain appui àla protection du droit de l’accusé d’être présent à l’art. 7. S’exprimant au nom de la Cour dans R. c. Bitternose, 2009 SKCA 54, [2009]S.J. No. 256 (QL), la juge d’appel Wilkinson affirme : [TRADUCTION]Malgré la formulation impérative de l’art. 650 (« doit être présent ») et les droits constitutionnels que prescrit la Charte, le droit d’êtreprésent tout au long de son procès n’a jamais été absolu et était subordonné à des limites raisonnables. Dans R. c.
Czuczman, le juged’appel a reconnu que le droit d’un accusé d’être présent fait l’objet d’une protection constitutionnelle à l’art. 7 de la Charte et que lesystème de justice pénale donnait à l’accusé le droit de faire face à son accusateur et le contre-interroger, de témoigner, de présenter unedéfense pleine et entière et, de façon générale, de prendre part au procès. Ces droits étaient fondamentaux et l’équité ne demandait riende moins. [par. 87] [38] Plus récemment dans R. c. Jorgge, 2013 ONCA 485, [2013] O.J.
No. 3343 (QL), la Cour devaitdécider si le droit d’un accusé d’être présent est protégé à la fois par l’art. 7 et par l’al. 11d) de la Charte : [TRADUCTION]Au
titre du par. 650(1) du Code criminel, les accusés ont le droit, et même l’obligation, d’être présents lors de leur procès. Le paragraphe650(1) repose sur le droit d’un accusé à un procès équitable et sur son droit de présenter une défense pleine et entière, droits qui sontmaintenant garantis par l’art. 7 et l’al. 11d) de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés : voir R. c. Laws (1998), (ON CA), 41 O.R. (3d) 499 (C.A. Ont.), à la p. 521; R. c. Czuczman (1986), (ON CA), 54 O.R. (2d) 574 (C.A. Ont.),aux p. 576 et 577. [par. 12] C.
Disposition restrictive réparatrice – réparation en cas de violation de la Charte [39] Dans certains cas, un appel peut être rejeté même en présence d’une erreur commise quant à unequestion de droit (ss-al. 686(1)b)(iii)), pourvu qu’il ne se soit produit aucun tort important ni aucune erreur judiciaire grave, ou même enprésence d’une irrégularité de procédure (ss-al. 686(1)b)(iv)), pourvu que l’appelant n’ait subi aucun préjudice. [40] Le sous-alinéa 686(1)b)(iii) du Code criminel prévoit ce qui suit :
Powers 686
(1) On the hearing of an appeal against a conviction or against a verdict that the appellant is unfit to stand trial or not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder, the court of appeal […] (
b) may dismiss the appeal where […] (iii) notwithstanding that the court is of the opinion that on any ground mentioned in subparagraph (a)(ii) the appeal might be decided in favour of the appellant, it is of the opinion that no substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice has occurred[.] Pouvoir 686
(1) Lors de l’audition d’un appel d’une déclaration de culpabilité ou d’un verdict d’inaptitude à subir son procès ou de non- responsabilité criminelle pour cause de troubles mentaux, la cour d’appel: […]
b) peut rejeter l’appel, dans l’un ou l’autre des cas suivants : […] (iii) bien qu’elle estime que, pour un motif mentionné au sous-alinéa a)(ii), l’appel pourrait être décidé en faveur de l’appelant, elle est d’avis qu’aucun tort important ou aucune erreur judiciaire grave ne s’est produit[.] [41] Cet
article a trait aux appels interjetés par un accusé d’une déclaration de culpabilité, d’un verdict d’inaptitude à subir son procès ou d’un verdict de non-culpabilité pour cause d’aliénation mentale. [42] En l’espèce, le ministère public a demandé l’application de la disposition réparatrice et a fait valoir que, si M. Dedam a été exclu à tort de son procès, l’erreur était une irrégularité de procédure qui ne lui a causé aucun préjudice. [43] Dans R. c. Chan , 2002 ABQB 866 , [2002] A.J.
No. 1166 (QL) , la Cour mentionne le par. 24(1) : [TRADUCTION] […] le droit d’un accusé d’être présent pendant tout son procès qui est prévu à l’art. 650 est protégé par la Charte , et la Cour devrait donc pouvoir rechercher la réparation à accorder en vertu de l’ art. 24 de la Charte en cas de violation. [par. 33] La juge a toutefois conclu que le par. 650(1) n’avait pas été violé et n’a donc pas tenu compte de cet argument. [44] Le par. 24(1) n’est nullement mentionné dans R. c. Simon , 2010 ONCA 754 , [2010] O.J.
No. 4723 (QL) , un arrêt faisant autorité parmi les sources jurisprudentielles se rapportant au par. 650(1) . Le juge d’appel Watt a résumé l’argumentation de l’appelant à l’audience et n’a mentionné aucun argument portant que le par. 24(1) constituait le recours applicable. Le juge d’appel Watt ne soulève pas non plus la possibilité (ou, pour être plus précise, la nécessité) de recourir au par. 24(1). De toute façon, le juge d’appel Watt a énuméré un certain nombre de facteurs à prendre en compte pour décider si le ss- al. 686(1) b)(iv) peut être invoqué pour remédier à une violation du par. 650(1) (par. 123).
Il a ensuite décidé qu’il appliquerait le ss- al. 686(1) b)(iv) si l’exclusion en cause constituait effectivement une exclusion survenue pendant une
partie intégrante du procès (par. 126 à 131). [45] L’ arrêt Simon a été cité dans d’innombrables décisions rendues en appel dans lesquelles : 1) on a appliqué le ss- al. 686(1) b)(iv) pour corriger l’exclusion de l’accusé survenue pendant le procès; ou 2) on a conclu que le droit d’être présent lors du procès n’avait pas été violé, mais que, s’il y avait eu violation, le ss- al. 686(1) b)(iv) aurait été applicable. Voir : R. c. Iyamuremye , 2017 ABCA 276 , [ 2017] A.J. No. 877 (QL), au par. 103 ; R. c. L.W.T. , 2008 SKCA 17 , aux par. 27 à 33 ; R. c. Dayes , 2013 ONCA 614 , [2013] O.J. No. 4615 (QL), aux par. 70 à 78 . Ce ne sont là que quelques-uns parmi de nombreux exemples.
[46] Je n’ai toutefois pu trouver aucune décision dans laquelle la cour s’est demandée si less-al. 686(1)b)(iv) peut être invoqué pour corriger l’absence de l’accusé pendant une
partie de son procès étant donné qu’une violation del’art. 650 peut être assimilable à une violation de l’art. 7 et de l’al. 11d) de la Charte. Je dois conclure que cet argument soit n’a pas déjàété invoqué soit ne l’a été que dans des causes où les tribunaux d’appel ont conclu que l’art. 650 n’avait pas été violé et n’avaient doncaucune raison de se demander si le par. 24(1) s’appliquait. [47] Dans le cas où une violation de l’art. 650 constitue une violation de la Charte, le ss-al. 686(1)b)(iv) ne s’applique pas. Il s’agit là d’une conclusion inéluctable vu la décision rendue dans l’arrêt R. c.
Tran, (CSC), [1994] 2 RCS 951, [1994] A.C.S. no 16 (QL). Dans cette affaire, un homme d’origine vietnamienne, qui parlait peu l’anglais, avait étédéclaré coupable d’agression sexuelle. La Cour suprême a conclu que le défaut de fournir à l’accusé « une traduction intégrale etconcomitante de tous les témoignages au procès » avait violé le droit de l’accusé à l’assistance d’un interprète qui est prévu à l’art. 14 dela Charte (par. 8). [48] Le ministère public a fait valoir qu’il y avait lieu d’appliquer le ss-al. 686(1)b)(iii) commeréparation.
Le juge en chef Lamer a refusé d’appliquer cette disposition et a ensuite dit que le ss-al. 686(1)b)(iv) était aussi inapplicableeu égard aux circonstances. Les deux passages suivants sont les plus pertinents pour le présent pourvoi : […] Le sous-alinéa 686(1)b)(iv), une disposition relativement nouvelle du Code introduite en 1985, vise également à permettre à untribunal de rejeter l’appel d’une déclaration de culpabilité, mais dans les cas d’irrégularité de procédure où le ministère public peut établirque l’accusé n’a subi aucun préjudice.
En d’autres termes, lorsqu’il n’y a pas eu d’atteinte à l’équité des procédures, le Code permeteffectivement de « corriger » l’erreur en question en autorisant le rejet de l’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité. Bien que la négation d’un droit garanti par la Charte constitue une erreur de droit, il s’agit, de par sa nature constitutionnelle même,d’une erreur de droit grave qui, aux fins du Code criminel, ne peut certainement pas être qualifiée de négligeable ou d’inoffensive, nid’« irrégularité de procédure ».
Par conséquent, je conclus que, du point de vue juridique, la violation de l’art. 14 de la Charte empêchel’application des sous-al. 686(1)b)(iii) et (iv) du Code.
Dans la mesure où une violation de la Charte est plus ou moins grave ou causeplus ou moins un préjudice à l’accusé, il se pose alors des questions de réparation qui relèvent directement du par. 24(1) de la Charte, etnon pas du Code criminel. [par. 96 et 97] [49] Selon l’arrêt Tran, si le droit d’être présent lors de son procès est protégé par la Charte, laviolation de ce droit est une « erreur de droit » qui est « grave » et qui, « [pour l’application] du Code criminel », ne peut être qualifiéed’« irrégularité de procédure ». En l’espèce, les violations sont graves et assimilables à une violation de la Charte.
L’exclusion a uneincidence sur l’équité du procès. Le sous-alinéa 686(1)b)(iv) ne peut donc servir à corriger l’exclusion de M. Dedam survenue pendantson procès.
Par conséquent, il ne reste aucune autre voie de réparation possible que le par. 24(1) de la Charte. [50] Je mentionne que même si on pouvait prétendre que le droit d’être présent n’est pas un droitconféré par la Charte, le ss-al. 686(1)b)(iv) ne peut être invoqué que si l’exclusion ne cause aucun préjudice à l’accusé et qu’elle[TRADUCTION] « n’exerce aucune influence négative sur la perception d’équité qui est importante pour le système de justice pénale »(voir R. c. B.B.W., 2014 SKCA 18, [2014] S.J. No. 97, aux par. 9-12). [51] La perception d’équité fait l’objet d’un examen dans l’arrêt R. c.
Khan, 2001 CSC 86, [2001] 3R.C.S. 823, qui précise les circonstances dans lesquelles une inférence de préjudice peut être faite pour l’application du ss-al. 686(1)b)(iv) : […] Je souscris à l’opinion exprimée par le juge Goodman dans l’arrêt Cloutier, selon laquelle le sous-al. 686(1)b)(iv) a été adopté afinde remédier à de graves irrégularités de procédure, par ailleurs assimilables à des erreurs de droit, dans les cas où, selon la jurisprudencede l’époque, il y avait eu perte de compétence sur la personne, mais non sur l’infraction.
Puisque la nouvelle disposition devait viser desirrégularités de procédure graves, j’estime, à l’instar du juge Goodman, qu’il convient d’inférer l’existence d’un préjudice, sans exigerdans tous les cas que l’accusé fasse la preuve d’un préjudice. Il va de soi que cette inférence pourra être réfutée; de plus, le critèred’évaluation du préjudice en application de ce sous-alinéa devrait être le même que celui servant à déterminer s’il s’est produit un tortimportant ou une erreur judiciaire grave au sens du sous-al. 686(1)b)(iii), que notre Cour a abondamment examiné. [par. 16] D.
Une violation de l’art. 650 constitue-t-elle une violation de la Charte?
[52] Je juge exacts les énoncés précédents du droit selon lesquels, dans certains cas, une violation du par. 650(1) peut être assimilable à une violation tant de l’ art. 7 que de l’ al. 11d) de la Charte . En raison de la gravité de certains cas où M. Dedam a été exclu, surtout au cours de son témoignage, les violations du par. 650(1) équivalent à des violations de la Charte . E.
Application du par. 24(1) [53] Je ne peux retenir l’argument du ministère public portant que toute violation de l’ art. 7 et de l’ al. 11d) de la Charte en l’espèce était si minime et nominale qu’il y a lieu d’appliquer la disposition réparatrice du Code criminel , le ss- al. 686(1) b)(iii), et de rejeter l’appel. À mon avis, ni le ss-al. 686(1)b)(iii) ni, dois-je l’ajouter, l’al. 686(1)b)(iv) ne s’appliquent d’une quelconque manière lorsque l’enjeu a trait à une violation de l’art. 7 et de l’al. 11d) de la Charte .
Dans le cas où la violation du par. 650(1) du Code criminel est, comme c’est le cas en l’espèce, grave au point d’être assimilable à une violation de la Charte , la Cour doit rechercher la réparation qu’il convient d’accorder en vertu du par. 24(1). [54] Dans l’arrêt Tran , le juge en chef Lamer enseigne ce qui suit : En général, la réparation qu’il convient d’accorder sous le régime du par. 24(1) de la Charte à l’égard d’une violation de l’ art. 14 de la Charte sera identique à ce qu’elle serait en common law et sous le régime des garanties d’origine législative comme celles de l’art. 650 du Code ou de l’al. 2
g) de la Déclaration canadienne des droits , soit une nouvelle audition de la question ou de la procédure dans le cadre de laquelle la violation a été commise . Par exemple, lorsque la violation survient pendant le procès lui-même , il sera généralement nécessaire d’annuler la déclaration de culpabilité dont il est interjeté appel et d’ordonner un nouveau procès . Si, par ailleurs, la violation est commise pendant une
partie distincte et séparable des procédures comme, par exemple, pendant une enquête sur le cautionnement ou une audition visant à déterminer la peine à imposer, une nouvelle audition de la question constituera normalement la réparation appropriée en vertu du par. 24(1). Toutefois, il importe de reconnaître que le par. 24(1) habilite le tribunal à accorder la réparation qu’il estime « convenable et juste » eu égard aux circonstances .
La souplesse en matière de réparation qu’offre le par. 24(1) permet à un tribunal d’accorder, dans les circonstances appropriées, une réparation qui soit plus ou moins généreuse que celle qui, comme je l’ai indiqué, conviendra normalement dans les cas où l’art. 14 de la Charte a été violé ( c.-à-d. une nouvelle audition de la question ). […] Somme toute, il y a lieu de recourir au par. 24(1) de la Charte et non aux dispositions réparatrices du Code , l orsqu’il y a eu violation du droit à l’assistance d’un interprète .
Même si la réparation consistera normalement à ordonner la tenue d’une nouvelle audition de la question ou de la procédure dans le cadre de laquelle la violation a été commise , le par. 24(1) permet à un tribunal d’adapter la réparation aux circonstances particulières de la violation. […] [par. 99 et 101] En l’espèce, la seule réparation possible consiste à annuler le verdict et à ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès qui puisse corriger les violations. L’exclusion répétée de M. Dedam dans les circonstances décrites précédemment était grave.
Il se peut que, dans d’autres circonstances, il convienne d’accorder une autre réparation, mais ce n’est pas le cas en ce qui concerne M. Dedam. V. Conclusion [55] À mon avis, les exclusions de M. Dedam constituent une violation du par. 650(1) du Code criminel . De plus, les exclusions constituent des violations du droit qui lui est conféré par la Charte tant à l’ art. 7 qu’à l’ al. 11d) . Compte tenu de la règle énoncée dans l’arrêt Tran , le ss- al. 686(1) b)(iv) ne peut servir à corriger ces exclusions.
Qui plus est, étant donné que l’ art. 7 et l’ al. 11d) de la Charte ont été violés en l’espèce pendant le procès lui-même et non pas dans le cadre d’une
partie distincte et isolable de l’instance, je conclus que la réparation convenable et juste à accorder au
titre du par. 24(1) de la Charte consiste à accueillir l’appel, à annuler le verdict et à ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès.
VI. Dispositif [56] En conséquence, j’accueillerais l’appel, j’annulerais la déclaration de culpabilité et j’ordonnerais la tenue d’un nouveau procès.