2020 NBCA 15, 2020 NBCA 15
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 108-19-CA A.S.L. APPELLANT A.S.L. APPELANT - and - - et - L.S.L. RESPONDENT L.S.L. INTIMÉE A.S.L. v. L.S.L., 2020 NBCA 15 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LeBlond A.S.L. c.
L.S.L., 2020 NBCA 15 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 10, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 10 septembre 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: January 20, 2020 Appel entendu : le 20 janvier 2020 Judgment rendered: March 19, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 19 mars 2020
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Howard T. Myatt L.S.L. on her own behalf Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelant : Howard T. Myatt L.S.L. en son propre nom THE COURT The appeal is allowed without costs. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli sans dépens. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] The issue in this case is whether the trial judge should have required financial information from both parties, including proof of income, budgets and household information, along with Financial Statements, prior to making a child support order pursuant to s. 9 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines , SOR/97-175 (“ Guidelines ”). II. Background [ 2 ] The parties were married in 2004. There are two children of the marriage, presently 14 and 12 years of age.
In August 2018, the parties separated and concluded a Domestic Contract (the father signed on August 24, 2018, and the mother on September 5, 2018). At para. 6 of the Domestic Contract, custody and access is set out over three pages whereby the parents, among other things, are to have joint custody of the children under a shared custody arrangement as defined by the Guidelines . Paragraph 7 of the Domestic Contract explains the financial provisions, and para. 7(a)(
i) indicates the parents’ incomes, as they were in August 2018, and concludes that, based on their respective line 150 incomes, neither party would pay child support. The father’s gross annual income was indicated as being $90,000 and the mother’s was $105,000. Paragraph 7(a)(ii) outlines the s. 7 expenses which both parents agreed to share equally. Also, in the Domestic Contract, the parties agreed to exchange financial information by June 30 each year and in the first year, should the exchange reveal that a variation of child support would be required, the potentially “new” child support payments would commence on July 1, 2019.
[ 3 ] On July 23, 2019, the mother filed a Petition for Divorce, a copy of which was served upon the father on August 2, 2019. Attached to the Petition was a copy of the Domestic Contract as well as the mother’s financial information for the previous three years. A Financial Statement (Form 72J) was not included. The most recent Tax Assessment (2018) indicated the mother’s gross income had increased to $113,058. On September 6, 2019, the mother filed a Trial Record requesting that the matter proceed under Rule 72.18 of the Rules of Court on the basis of affidavit evidence.
On September 10, 2019, a Divorce Judgment was granted, despite the father not having filed any documentation in reply to the Petition for Divorce. The father did not file an Answer, a Counter-Petition, a Financial Statement or any financial information whatsoever. The father did not submit an affidavit, and neither party filed a budget or information on their respective households’ standards of living. [ 4 ] On October 11, 2019, the divorce became effective.
The Divorce Order contains an Order for Corollary Relief which incorporated paras. 6 (custody and access) and 7 (financial provisions) of the Domestic Contract. [ 5 ] The father now appeals the Divorce Order and the Corollary Relief on the basis the trial judge should have required financial information from both parties, including budgets and household information, before making a support order pursuant to s. 9 of the Guidelines . III.
Standard of Review [ 6 ] It is clear from the jurisprudence of this Court that the standard of review in family law cases allows us to intervene only where there has been a material error, serious misapprehension of the evidence or an error of law. In my opinion, the trial judge did commit an error in law in not requiring proper documentation before making the support order. IV. Analysis [ 7 ] The Divorce Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 3 (2nd Supp .), s. 15.1 authorizes courts to make child support orders, but s. 15.1(3) indicates that the court must do so in accordance with the appropriate Guidelines .
However, under s. 15.1(5) there is discretion to award an amount that differs from the Guidelines under the following circumstances:
Court may take agreement, etc., into account
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (3), a court may award an amount that is different from the amount that would be determined in accordance with the applicable guidelines if the court is satisfied (
a) that special provisions in an order, a judgment or a written agreement respecting the financial obligations of the spouses, or the division or transfer of their property, directly or indirectly benefit a child, or that special provisions have otherwise been made for the benefit of a child; and (
b) that the application of the applicable guidelines would result in an amount of child support that is inequitable given those special provisions. Ententes, ordonnances, jugements, etc.
(5) Par dérogation au paragraphe (3), le tribunal peut fixer un montant différent de celui qui serait déterminé conformément aux lignes directrices applicables s’il est convaincu, à la fois :
a) que des dispositions spéciales d’un jugement, d’une ordonnance ou d’une entente écrite relatif aux obligations financières des époux ou au partage ou au transfert de leurs biens accordent directement ou indirectement un avantage à un enfant pour qui les aliments sont demandés, ou que des dispositions spéciales ont été prises pour lui accorder autrement un avantage;
b) que le montant déterminé conformément aux lignes directrices applicables serait inéquitable eu égard à ces dispositions. [ 8 ] If an order is made under s. 15.1(5), then s. 15.1(6) requires the court to record its reasons for doing so, and it must be satisfied that reasonable arrangements have been made for the support of the children. [ 9 ] The father’s position is that, to make an order pursuant to s. 9 of the Guidelines , it is necessary to have full financial disclosure from both parties so that the judge can make an appropriate assessment. This
section states: Shared custody 9 Where a spouse exercises a right of access to, or has physical custody of, a child for not less than 40 per cent of the time over the course of a year, the amount of the child support order must be determined by taking into account (
a) the amounts set out in the applicable tables for each of the spouses; (
b) the increased costs of shared custody arrangements; and (
c) the conditions, means, needs and other circumstances of each spouse and of any child for whom support is sought. Garde partagée 9 Si un époux exerce son droit d’accès auprès d’un enfant, ou en a la garde physique, pendant au moins 40 % du temps au cours d’une année, le montant de l’ordonnance alimentaire est déterminé compte tenu :
a) des montants figurant dans les tables applicables à l’égard de chaque époux;
b) des coûts plus élevés associés à la garde partagée;
c) des ressources, des besoins et, d’une façon générale, de la situation de chaque époux et de tout enfant pour lequel une pension alimentaire est demandée.
[ 10 ] Judges should also be mindful of s. 11(1) (
b) of the Divorce Act which states: 11
(1) In a divorce proceeding, it is the duty of the court (
b) to satisfy itself that reasonable arrangements have been made for the support of any children of the marriage, having regard to the applicable guidelines, and, if such arrangements have not been made, to stay the granting of the divorce until such arrangements are made[.] 11
(1) Dans une action en divorce, il incombe au tribunal :
b) de s’assurer de la conclusion d’arrangements raisonnables pour les aliments des enfants à charge eu égard aux lignes directrices applicables et, en l’absence de tels arrangements, de surseoir au prononcé du divorce jusqu’à leur conclusion[.] [ 11 ] In this case, the parties had a written agreement outlining their financial responsibilities with regard to child support. The Divorce Act clearly anticipates spouses reaching agreements respecting child support that may differ in some way from the Guidelines and doing so without consuming the time and resources of the court.
However, those agreements must be for the benefit of the child, not merely the spouses. Furthermore, the court must undertake a s. 9 Guidelines analysis in order to determine if the application of the applicable Guidelines would result in an amount of support that is inequitable, given those special provisions as indicated in s. 15.1(5) .
If a court awards an amount that is different from the amount that would have been granted in accordance with the Guidelines , the court “shall record its reasons for having done so” ( s. 15.1(6) ). [ 12 ] This Court has stated previously that when faced with shared custody arrangements, judges must consider specific income information for both parties. In G.F. v. J.A.C.F. , 2016 NBCA 21 , 449 N.B.R. (2d) 34 , Baird J.A. states: When there is a shared custody arrangement, ss. 9 (
b) and (
c) of the Federal Child Support Guidelines require the trial judge to consider the budgets of the respective parties, the incomes of new partners, to review s. 7 expenses, to compare the households’ standards of living, and other financial information that permits for a meaningful analysis. The straight set-off contemplated in s. 9 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines is the “starting point” as the Supreme Court states in Contino .
Where the decision has been made on limited, or no financial disclosure, appellate intervention is warranted and the case will be remitted for a new hearing, as stated in Conway . [para. 14] [ 13 ] This is confirmed in J.C.M. v. M.J.M ., 2018 NBCA 42 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 158 (QL) : […]
Section 9 is a vexing
section for both lawyers and courts alike. In 2005, the Supreme Court attempted to answer some of the questions concerning its applicability. In Contino , Bastarache J. set out a framework for the analysis when there is a finding the parents have a shared custody arrangement (para. 43). […] In F.M. v. T.H ., this Court wrote: Professor Rollie Thompson, in “Case Comment: Contino v. Leonelli-Contino ” (2004), 42 R.F.L. (5th) 326 , outlines the process a trial judge should follow for the s. 9 analysis once there is a finding the parents have a shared parenting arrangement. In his view a trial judge is required to: i. determine the straight set-off amount; ii. review the child expense budgets;
iii. consider the ability of each parent to bear the increased costs of shared custody and the standard of living for the children in each household; and iv. distinguish between initial orders or agreements, and variations. [para. 26 [of F.M. v. T.H. ]]
Section 9 requires a court to consider the financial information provided by each party and to conduct a comparison of the standard of living in each household. J.C.M. argues the application judge should have required information concerning the family members with whom M.J.M. resides, in order to complete the analysis.
Schedule II to the Guidelines defines household to mean: “[…] any person who shares living expenses with the spouse or from whom the spouse otherwise receives an economic benefit as a result of living with that person, if the court considers it reasonable for that person to be considered part of the household […]”. [paras. 30, 32-33] [ 14 ] Although it is true that, in this case, despite being served with the Divorce Petition, the father did not reply and did not participate in the proceedings, I extrapolate from the jurisprudence that the trial judge was obliged to review the file and the Domestic Contract.
When faced with a s. 9 custody situation such as this one, he should have taken steps to obtain updated financial information from both parties. This would include, but not be limited to, updated Financial Statements, T1 General Income Tax returns for the years 2017 and 2018, along with Notices of Assessment or Reassessment, and Proof of Income (for a discussion respecting the obligation to file a completed Financial Statement see Sutton v. Kay , 2002 NBCA 33 , 250 N.B.R. (2d) 106). [ 15 ] The trial judge should have determined the straight set-off amount as a starting point.
Based on the legislation and jurisprudence, the trial judge was required to carry out a more thorough financial analysis than the disclosure on file allowed before granting the Support Order pursuant to s. 9 . By failing to request further disclosure in order to carry out the required analysis, the trial judge erred in law. He should have reviewed each party’s proposed budget and considered the ability of each parent to bear the increased costs of shared custody. This was not done, and as such, the judge committed a reversible error. V.
Disposition [ 16 ] For the above reasons I would allow the appeal, set aside the decision of the trial judge and refer the matter back to the Court of Queen’s Bench for a proper determination of child support, based upon the required financial information from both parties. [ 17 ] Although the father has been successful in this appeal, his lack of participation in the divorce proceedings in the court below necessitated this appeal. It would be unfair to award costs to him at this point. As such, I would not award any costs. Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par LA JUGE QUIGG I.
Introduction [1] Il nous faut déterminer en l’espèce si le juge de première instance aurait dû exiger des deux parties des renseignements financiers, dont des preuves du revenu, des budgets, des renseignements sur le ménage et des états financiers, avant de rendre une ordonnance alimentaire au profit des enfants en application de l’ art. 9 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 (les Lignes directrices ). II. Contexte
[2] Les parties se sont mariées en 2004. Elles ont deux enfants à charge qui ont aujourd’hui quatorze et douze ans. Elles se sont séparées en août 2018 et ont conclu un contrat familial (le père l’a signé le 24 août 2018, la mère le 5 septembre 2018). Au paragraphe 6 du contrat familial, où sont exposées sur trois pages les dispositions de garde et d’accès, les parents conviennent entre autres de la garde conjointe des enfants sous des arrangements de garde partagée, au sens des Lignes directrices . Le paragraphe 7 du contrat familial explique les dispositions financières. Son sous-alinéa 7a)(
i) fait état des revenus que les parents gagnaient en août 2018 et stipule que, vu les revenus inscrits à la ligne 150 de leurs déclarations de revenus respectives, ni l’un ni l’autre ne devra verser de prestation alimentaire pour enfants. Il est fait état d’un revenu annuel brut de 90 000 $ dans le cas du père et de 105 000 $ dans le cas de la mère. Le sous-alinéa 7a)(ii) expose les dépenses relevant de l’art. 7 des Lignes directrices que les deux parents conviennent d’acquitter à parts égales.
Également, dans le contrat familial, les parties conviennent qu’elles échangeront des renseignements financiers chaque année, au plus tard le 30 juin, et que la première année, s’il ressort de l’échange qu’il faudrait modifier les aliments pour enfants, les éventuels [TRADUCTION] « nouveaux » paiements d’aliments pour enfants débuteront le 1 er juillet 2019. [3] La mère a déposé une requête en divorce le 23 juillet 2019 et une copie de la requête a été signifiée au père le 2 août suivant.
La requête était accompagnée d’une copie du contrat familial, et la mère avait joint ses renseignements financiers des trois années précédentes. Aucun état financier (formule 72J) n’accompagnait la requête. La cotisation fiscale la plus récente (2018) constatait que le revenu brut de la mère avait atteint 113 058 $. Le 6 septembre 2019, la mère a déposé un dossier et demandé que la procédure soit instruite au moyen d’affidavits sous le régime de la règle 72.18 des Règles de procédure .
Le juge de première instance a rendu un jugement de divorce le 10 septembre 2019 malgré que le père n’eût déposé aucun document en réponse à la requête en divorce. Ni réponse, ni demande reconventionnelle, ni état financier, ni renseignements financiers quels qu’ils soient n’ont été déposés par le père. Il n’a pas produit d’affidavit; ni l’une ni l’autre des parties n’a déposé de budget ou de renseignements sur le niveau de vie de son ménage. [4] Le divorce a pris effet le 11 octobre 2019. L’ordonnance de divorce contient une ordonnance de mesures accessoires à laquelle sont incorporés le par. 6 (garde et accè
s) et le par. 7 (dispositions financières) du contrat familial. [5] Le père porte aujourd’hui en appel l’ordonnance de divorce et les mesures accessoires. Il soutient que le juge de première instance aurait dû exiger de chacune des deux parties des renseignements financiers, dont un budget et des renseignements sur le ménage, avant de rendre une ordonnance alimentaire en application de l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices . III.
Norme de contrôle [6] Il ressort clairement de la jurisprudence de notre Cour que la norme de contrôle applicable dans les affaires de droit de la famille ne nous autorise à intervenir que s’il y a eu erreur importante, erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve ou erreur de droit. À mon avis, le juge de première instance a bel et bien commis une erreur de droit en n’exigeant pas une documentation appropriée avant de rendre l’ordonnance alimentaire. IV. Analyse [7] L’
article 15.1 de la
Loi sur le divorce , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2 e suppl .), autorise le tribunal à rendre des ordonnances alimentaires au profit d’enfants, mais le par. 15.1(3) précise qu’il doit les rendre conformément aux lignes directrices applicables. Le paragraphe 15.1(5) lui confère cependant le pouvoir discrétionnaire de fixer un montant différent de celui des Lignes directrices dans les circonstances suivantes :
Court may take agreement, etc., into account
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (3), a court may award an amount that is different from the amount that would be determined in accordance with the applicable guidelines if the court is satisfied (
a) that special provisions in an order, a judgment or a written agreement respecting the financial obligations of the spouses, or the division or transfer of their property, directly or indirectly benefit a child, or that special provisions have otherwise been made for the benefit of a child; and (
b) that the application of the applicable guidelines would result in an amount of child support that is inequitable given those special provisions. Ententes, ordonnances, jugements, etc.
(5) Par dérogation au paragraphe (3), le tribunal peut fixer un montant différent de celui qui serait déterminé conformément aux lignes directrices applicables s’il est convaincu, à la fois :
a) que des dispositions spéciales d’un jugement, d’une ordonnance ou d’une entente écrite relatif aux obligations financières des époux ou au partage ou au transfert de leurs biens accordent directement ou indirectement un avantage à un enfant pour qui les aliments sont demandés, ou que des dispositions spéciales ont été prises pour lui accorder autrement un avantage;
b) que le montant déterminé conformément aux lignes directrices applicables serait inéquitable eu égard à ces dispositions. [8] Si le tribunal rend une ordonnance en vertu du par. 15.1(5), le par. 15.1(6) requiert qu’il enregistre les motifs de sa décision; il doit en outre être convaincu que des arrangements raisonnables ont été conclus pour les aliments des enfants. [9] Le père soutient que, pour qu’une ordonnance soit rendue en application de l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices , il est nécessaire qu’il y ait eu communication complète des renseignements financiers des deux parties afin que le juge puisse procéder à une évaluation appropriée. Texte de l’article :
Shared custody 9 Where a spouse exercises a right of access to, or has physical custody of, a child for not less than 40 per cent of the time over the course of a year, the amount of the child support order must be determined by taking into account (
a) the amounts set out in the applicable tables for each of the spouses; (
b) the increased costs of shared custody arrangements; and (
c) the conditions, means, needs and other circumstances of each spouse and of any child for whom support is sought. Garde partagée 9 Si un époux exerce son droit d’accès auprès d’un enfant, ou en a la garde physique, pendant au moins 40 % du temps au cours d’une année, le montant de l’ordonnance alimentaire est déterminé compte tenu :
a) des montants figurant dans les tables applicables à l’égard de chaque époux;
b) des coûts plus élevés associés à la garde partagée;
c) des ressources, des besoins et, d’une façon générale, de la situation de chaque époux et de tout enfant pour lequel une pension alimentaire est demandée. [10] Les juges devraient également garder à l’esprit l’ alinéa 11(1)
b) de la
Loi sur le divorce , qui prévoit ce qui suit : 11
(1) In a divorce proceeding, it is the duty of the court (
b) to satisfy itself that reasonable arrangements have been made for the support of any children of the marriage, having regard to the applicable guidelines, and, if such arrangements have not been made, to stay the granting of the divorce until such arrangements are made[.] 11
(1) Dans une action en divorce, il incombe au tribunal :
b) de s’assurer de la conclusion d’arrangements raisonnables pour les aliments des enfants à charge eu égard aux lignes directrices applicables et, en l’absence de tels arrangements, de surseoir au prononcé du divorce jusqu’à leur conclusion[.] [11] En l’espèce, une entente écrite convenue entre les parties précisait leurs responsabilités financières au
chapitre des aliments pour enfants. La
Loi sur le divorce prévoit nettement que des époux pourraient convenir d’aliments pour enfants différant à certains égards de ce que prescrivent les Lignes directrices , et ce, sans mobiliser le temps et les ressources des tribunaux. Ces ententes doivent toutefois accorder un avantage à l’enfant, et non aux seuls époux. Le tribunal doit aussi procéder à l’analyse que requiert l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices pour déterminer si le montant établi conformément aux lignes directrices applicables serait inéquitable eu égard aux dispositions de cette entente, aux termes du par. 15.1(5).
Si le tribunal fixe un montant différent de celui qui aurait été établi conformément aux Lignes directrices , il « enregistre les motifs de sa décision » (par. 15.1(6)). [12] Notre Cour a indiqué déjà que, lorsqu’il est question d’une entente de garde partagée, les juges doivent tenir compte de renseignements sur le revenu précis de chacune des deux parties. Dans G.F. c. J.A.C.F. , 2016 NBCA 21 , 449 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 34 , la juge d’appel Baird a écrit : Lorsqu’il existe une entente de garde partagée, les al. 9b) et
c) des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants prescrivent que le juge du procès doit tenir compte des budgets respectifs des parties et du revenu d’éventuels nouveaux conjoints, prendre en considération les dépenses mentionnées à l’art. 7, comparer le niveau de vie des deux ménages et examiner les autres renseignements financiers qui permettent une analyse valable. La compensation simple qui est envisagée à l’ art. 9 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants est le « point de départ » comme l’a dit la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Contino .
Lorsque la décision a été prise sur la base d’une divulgation de renseignements financiers limitée ou sans aucune divulgation de renseignements financiers, l’intervention de la cour d’appel est justifiée et l’affaire sera renvoyée en vue d’une nouvelle audience comme
l’a dit la Cour dans l’arrêt Conway . [par. 14] [13] Il en a été donné confirmation dans J.C.M. c. M.J.M . , 2018 NBCA 42 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 158 (QL) : [...] L’article 9 est une disposition épineuse à la fois pour les avocats et pour les tribunaux. En 2005, la Cour suprême a tenté de répondre à certaines des questions touchant son applicabilité. Dans l’arrêt Contino , le juge Bastarache a énoncé un cadre d’analyse qui s’applique lorsque le juge conclut que les parents ont un arrangement de garde partagée (par. 43). […] Dans l’arrêt F.M. c. T.H. , notre Cour a écrit ce qui suit : Le professeur Rollie Thompson, dans un
article intitulé « Case Comment: Contino v. Leonelli-Contino » (2004), 42 R.F.L. (5th) 326 , indique de quelle façon le juge de première instance devrait procéder, pour l’analyse qu’exige l’ art. 9 , après avoir conclu que les parents ont un arrangement de parentage partagé.
Il estime que le juge doit : i. déterminer le montant issu de la compensation simple; ii. examiner le budget des dépenses des deux parents pour les enfants; iii. examiner la capacité de chaque parent de supporter les coûts plus élevés associés à la garde partagée et le niveau de vie des enfants dans chaque ménage; iv. établir une distinction entre les ordonnances ou conventions initiales et les modifications. [par . 26 [de F.M. c. T.H. ]] L’article 9 oblige le tribunal à examiner les renseignements financiers fournis par chacune des parties et à faire une comparaison entre les niveaux de vie de chaque ménage.
J.C.M. soutient que le juge saisi de la requête aurait dû demander des renseignements au sujet des membres de la famille avec qui M.J.M. habite afin de poursuivre l’analyse. Le mot ménage est défini ainsi dans l’annexe II des Lignes directrices : « […] toute personne qui partage les dépenses courantes avec l’époux ou de qui celui-ci tire par ailleurs un avantage économique du fait de vivre avec elle, si le tribunal est d’avis qu’il est raisonnable de la considérer comme faisant
partie du ménage […] ». [par. 30, 32 et 33] [14] Il est vrai que, en l’espèce, le père n’a pas déposé de réponse et n’a pas participé à l’instance, malgré que la requête en divorce lui eût été signifiée, mais je conclus, par extrapolation de la jurisprudence, que le juge de première instance avait l’obligation d’examiner le dossier et le contrat familial. Il aurait dû, face au présent cas de garde que prévoit l’ art. 9 , prendre des dispositions en vue d’obtenir des renseignements financiers à jour des deux parties.
Ces renseignements auraient notamment été apportés par des états financiers à jour, par les déclarations de revenus (T1 Générale) des années 2017 et 2018 et les avis de cotisation ou de nouvelle cotisation, et par des preuves du revenu (relativement à l’obligation de signifier un état financier dûment rempli, voir Sutton c. Kay , 2002 NBCA 33 , 250 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 106). [15] Le juge du procès aurait dû, pour point de départ, déterminer le montant issu de la compensation simple.
Vu la législation et la jurisprudence, il devait, avant de rendre une ordonnance alimentaire en application de l’ art. 9 , procéder à une analyse financière plus détaillée que ne le permettaient les documents communiqués apparaissant au dossier. En ne demandant pas de communication complémentaire en vue de procéder à l’analyse nécessaire, le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit. Il aurait dû examiner les budgets proposés respectifs des parents et la capacité de chacun de supporter les coûts plus élevés associés à la garde partagée.
Le juge ne l’a pas fait et, en conséquence, il a commis une erreur justifiant d’infirmer sa décision. V. Dispositif
[16] Pour les motifs qui précèdent, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel, d’annuler la décision du juge de première instance et de renvoyer l’affaire à la Cour du Banc de la Reine afin que le montant des aliments pour enfants soit déterminé comme il se doit d’après les renseignements financiers requis, qu’auront présentés les deux parties. [17] Bien que le père ait eu gain de cause en appel, le fait qu’il n’a pas participé à l’instance en divorce devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine a rendu le présent appel nécessaire. Il serait injuste de lui accorder des dépens à ce stade. De ce fait, je suis d’avis de n’accorder aucuns dépens.