2020 NBCA 62, 2020 NBCA 62
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 126-19-CA BRUCE SHANKS APPELLANT BRUCE SHANKS APPELANT - and - - et - Peter Shay, Kelly Leydon, Brad Dash, Debbie White and TD Home and Auto Insurance Company RESPONDENTS PETER SHAY, KELLY LEYDON, BRAD DASH, DEBBIE WHITE et COMPAGNIE D’ASSURANCE HABITATION ET AUTO TD INTIMÉS Shanks v. Shay et al., 2020 NBCA 62 Shanks c.
Shay et autres, 2020 NBCA 62 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlond CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: October 31, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 31 octobre 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2019 NBQB 269 Décision frappée d’appel : 2019 NBBR 269 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: [2014] N.B.J.
No. 44 2015 NBCA 2 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : [2014] A.N.-B. n o 44 2015 NBCA 2 Appeal heard: September 15, 2020 Appel entendu : le 15 septembre 2020
Judgment rendered: September 22, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 22 septembre 2020 Reasons delivered: December 3, 2020 Motifs déposés : le 3 décembre 2020 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Drapeau Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: George A. McAllister, Q.C. For the respondents: Philip Chapman Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : George A. McAllister, c.r.
Pour les intimés : Philip Chapman THE COURT On September 22, 2020, the Court allowed the appeal with costs, and with reasons to follow. Those reasons are expounded in the accompanying text. As will appear, the Court concludes the motion judge erred: (1) in failing to determine, as a threshold issue, whether the respondent, TD Home and Auto Insurance Company, was within its rights to cancel the appellant’s automobile insurance policy as of a date preceding his accident; (2) in finding the cause of action for purposes of the one- year limitation period applicable to
Section B benefits was complete once TD advised the appellant no
Section B benefits, whether accrued or not, would be paid; and (3) in finding the appellant’s action in damages for all
Section B benefits was time-barred. LA COUR Le 22 septembre 2020, la Cour a accueilli l’appel avec dépens et a indiqué que des motifs suivraient. Ces motifs sont exposés dans le prononcé en annexe. Comme nous le verrons, la Cour conclut que la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur (1) en omettant de décider, à
titre de question préjudicielle, si l’intimée, Compagnie d’assurance habitation et auto TD, était fondée à annuler la police d’assurance automobile de l’appelant avec prise d’effet à une date antérieure à son accident; (2) en concluant, pour le calcul du délai de prescription d’un an applicable aux indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B, que la cause d’action avait pris naissance une fois que la TD avait informé l’appelant qu’aucune indemnité au
titre du
chapitre B, accumulée ou non, ne serait versée; (3) en concluant que l’action en dommages-intérêts de l’appelant visant l’ensemble des indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B était prescrite. The judgment of the Court was delivered by
DRAPEAU, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] In the course of delivering The Daily Gleaner to its subscribers on September 28, 2007, the appellant, then 65, was injured in a two-vehicle roadway collision. He reported the accident to his insurer, TD Home and Auto Insurance Company, and claimed
Section B benefits (no-fault). Statutory Condition #1, which obligates the insured to promptly notify the insurer of any change in the risk material to the contract and within his or her knowledge, applies to
Section B. [ 2 ] In late December 2007/early January 2008, TD voided the appellant’s Policy retroactively to a date preceding the accident. According to TD, this measure was justified because the appellant contravened Statutory Condition #1 by failing to notify it of a change in the risk material to the contract, namely his use of the insured motor vehicle to deliver newspapers. Concomitantly, TD advised the appellant no
Section B benefits would be paid since, due to its retroactive cancellation, the Policy was not in effect at the time of the accident. The appellant did not accept this repudiation of the Policy and continued to press, through his solicitors, for TD’s voluntary performance of its obligations under
Section B. These efforts failed, and the appellant commenced the underlying action on April 30, 2012. [ 3 ] By virtue of subparagraph 7(
c) in the Special Provisions,
Definitions and Exclusions under
Section B of the S.P.F. No. 1 Standard Auto Policy (Owner’s Form), every action against the insurer for the recovery of a claim under
Section B must be commenced within one year from “the date on which the cause of action arose”. A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench determined, on motion by the respondents under Rule 23.01(1)(
a) of the Rules of Court , that the appellant’s action for the recovery of all
Section B benefits, whether accrued or not, is time-barred by subparagraph 7(c). This was so because the action was commenced more than one year after TD informed the appellant the Policy had been cancelled retroactively and that, for this reason, no
Section B benefits would be paid. The judge also ordered, pursuant to Rule 23.01(1)(b), that all paragraphs in the Statement of Claim, as amended, that relate to the recovery of those benefits be struck ( see Shanks v. TD et al. , 2019 NBQB 269 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 352 (QL) ). [ 4 ] The appellant is now 77 years of age. Needless to say, the litigation is unfolding at an intolerably slow pace. Moreover, the outstanding
Section B claims are relatively modest; the weekly amount claimed for loss of income is $214.94, and the appellant has abandoned any claim for medical benefits and all claims for loss of income benefits for the period between September 28, 2007, the date of the accident, and March 30, 2011.
The proportionality principle and the widely acknowledged need for all stakeholders in the justice system to promote affordable and prompt adjudication militate in favour of a resolution by this Court of the greatest number of issues possible. [ 5 ] Nevertheless, given the constraints arising from the pleadings as they currently stand, the issues raised in the court below, the limited record at our disposal and the parties’ submissions, I reluctantly conclude only the following questions can be firmly settled at this time: (1) could the judge entertain the motions without first determining whether TD was within its rights to cancel the appellant’s Policy retroactively to a date preceding the accident?; (2) was the cancellation permissible under the Policy and the Insurance Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c.
I-12 (“ Act ”)?; (3) did the motion judge err in finding the one-year limitation period under subparagraph 7 (
c) began to run, for all
Section B benefits, whether accrued or not, on the date TD advised none would be paid?; (4) does subparagraph 7(
c) prescribe a one-year limitation period for each loss of income benefit that begins to run only once it is payable by the insurer?; and (5) may Rule 23.01(1)(
a) provide relief where, as here, the question of law at issue is raised only in the responding party’s pleadings? That said, some observations are warranted regarding TD’s alleged breach of its payment obligations under
Part II of
Section B (loss of income benefits) and, relatedly, the appellant’s alleged breach of Statutory Condition #1, if only to provide debate-related guidance, albeit non-binding, with a view to expediting the litigation. [ 6 ] On September 22, 2020, we allowed the appeal, with reasons to follow. My reasons for joining the other panel members in prescribing this disposition are set out in the text that follows. As will be seen, my answer is “no” to questions (1) and (2), and “yes” to questions (3), (4) and (5). II.
A bird’s eye view of the context [ 7 ] On September 28, 2007, while delivering The Daily Gleaner to its subscribers, the appellant was injured when his 1994 Ford Taurus collided with another motor vehicle. He promptly reported the accident to TD Home and Auto Insurance Company, and claimed
Section B benefits. A claim was also submitted by an occupant of the other vehicle.
[ 8 ] Following an investigation and consultation with counsel, TD notified the appellant, on December 28, 2007, that his Policy was “cancelled (void) effective June 30, 2007 due to material change in risk (use of insured vehicle(
s) for delivery)”. The appellant was advised his account would be credited with the unearned portion of any premium paid. [ 9 ] Early on, the appellant retained a solicitor in Moncton to press his case for
Section B benefits. On January 16, 2008, TD advised the appellant’s solicitor he was not entitled to
Section B benefits because the Policy had been cancelled effective June 30, 2007. On January 29, 2008, TD forwarded a registered letter informing the appellant that, given the Policy had been cancelled retroactively to June 30, 2007, there was no coverage in force at the time of the September 28, 2007 accident. As a result, TD would not indemnify the appellant for his loss. Parenthetically, the respondents contended in the court below that the January 29, 2008 letter provided a clear denial of all
Section B benefits, whether accrued or not, and the appellant was required to commence his action in damages for those benefits within one year (no later than January 28, 2009). [ 10 ] The appellant subsequently retained his current solicitor. By letter dated May 4, 2010, this solicitor asked TD to reconsider its decision to deny coverage. He expressed surprise at TD’s retroactive cancellation of his client’s Policy “when any counsel in New Brunswick” could have pointed out this measure was not permitted under the Act , specifically Statutory Condition #8, the pertinent parts of which read as follows: Termination 8.
(1) This contract may be terminated, (
a) by the Insurer giving to the Insured fifteen days’ notice of termination by registered mail or five days’ written notice of termination personally delivered; (b) […].
(2) Where this contract is terminated by the Insurer, (
a) the Insurer shall refund the excess of premium actually paid by the Insured over the pro rata premium for the expired time, but in no event shall the pro rata premium for the expired time be deemed to be less than any minimum retained premium specified; and (
b) the refund shall accompany the notice unless the premium is subject to adjustment or determination as to the amount, in which case the refund shall be made as soon as practicable. (3) […].
(4) The refund may be made by money, postal or express company money order or cheque payable at par.
(5) The fifteen days mentioned in clause (
a) of sub-condition (1) of this condition commences to run on the day following the receipt of the registered letter at the post office to which it is addressed. [ 11 ] TD has steadfastly refused to reconsider its cancellation of the Policy and its blanket denial of
Section B benefits. A. The Statement of Claim
[ 12 ] On April 30, 2012, the appellant commenced an action against TD and its claims examiners (“TD defendants”, where contextually appropriate) seeking redress for TD’s breach of Statutory Condition #8 (by retroactively cancelling and repudiating his Policy), and TD’s breach of its payment obligations under
Section B for loss of income benefits, among others, since the date of the accident. However, and significantly, at the hearing in this Court, the appellant abandoned all claims for medical benefits and for loss of income prior to March 30, 2011. [ 13 ] In his Statement of Claim, the appellant also claimed damages for the TD defendants’ bad faith and negligence in handling his
Section B claim. The appellant later amended the Statement of Claim to add a claim against TD’s claims examiners for unlawful interference with contractual relations. In addition to interest and costs, as well as general, aggravated and punitive damages, the appellant seeks in the amended Statement of Claim’s prayer for relief: (1) a declaration that his Policy was in full force and effect at the time of the September 28, 2007 accident and that TD’s retroactive cancellation and repudiation of the Policy contravened the Act and breached the Policy, specifically Statutory Condition #8; (2) a declaration that he was entitled to
Section B benefits; and (3) special damages equal to the benefits TD should have paid. B. The Statement of Defence and Counterclaim [ 14 ] The TD defendants filed a Statement of Defence and Counterclaim in which they acknowledged:
(1) TD issued the Policy for the 1994 Ford Taurus involved in the September 28, 2007 accident; (2) the Policy, following successive renewals, purported to cover the period of March 21, 2007 to March 21, 2008; and (3) on October 1, 2007, the appellant reported a claim arising from the accident. The defendants go on to explain that, in the course of the ensuing investigation, TD discovered the appellant had been using the 1994 Ford Taurus for “commercial” purposes, namely the delivery of The Daily Gleaner . As a result, TD voided the Policy “due to a material change in risk”.
The defendants add the appellant “intentionally and/or negligently misrepresented himself by failing to disclose the material fact the Ford Taurus was being used for commercial purposes”. They plead and rely upon Statutory Condition #1, which reads as follows: Material Change in Risk 1.
(1) The Insured named in this contract shall promptly notify the Insurer or its local agent in writing of any change in the risk material to the contract and within his knowledge.
(2) Without restricting the generality of the foregoing, the words “change in the risk material to the contract” include: (
a) any change in the insurable interest of the insured named in this contract in the automobile by sale, assignment or otherwise, except through change of title by succession, death or proceedings under the Bankruptcy Act (Canada); and in respect of insurance against loss of or damage to the automobile, (
b) any mortgage, lien or encumbrance affecting the automobile after the application for this contract; (
c) any other insurance of the same interest, whether valid or not, covering loss or damage insured by this contract or any portion thereof. [ 15 ] The TD defendants also assert the insurance contract between the parties required they all act in the utmost good faith, and that the appellant’s “misrepresentation or non-disclosure” was a breach of this duty. They request the action be dismissed on the merits, before concluding with the assertion that the action is, in any event, barred by the Limitation of Actions Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 . The one-year limitation period under subparagraph 7(
c) of Special Provisions, Exclusions and
Definitions of
Section B is not pleaded in the Statement of Defence and Counterclaim. Nor is s. 229(1) of the Act , which provides that where the insured “contravenes a term of the contract […] a claim by the insured is invalid and the right of the insured to recover indemnity is forfeited”.
[ 16 ] Additionally, TD counterclaimed for its payout in settlement of the third-party claim arising from the accident ($75,000), as well as related legal and investigation fees, respectively $21,990.26 and $8,536.38. C. The Reply and Defence to Counterclaim [ 17 ] In his Reply and Defence to Counterclaim, the appellant contends TD was not legally entitled to void the Policy, let alone retroactively.
He asserts TD’s only option was to terminate the Policy prospectively, in accordance with Statutory Condition #8, the relevant parts of which are reproduced hereinabove. [ 18 ] The appellant contends, as well, the use of the 1994 Ford Taurus to carry and deliver newspapers was not a change in the risk material to the contract, within the meaning of Statutory Condition #1. I will address this point later in these reasons. [ 19 ] The appellant also states the cause of action in respect of the
Section B claims for which declaratory relief and special damages are sought in the Statement of Claim did not arise prior to the limitation period prescribed by subparagraph 7(
c) in Special Provisions, Exclusions and
Definitions of
Section B. As mentioned, the appellant has abandoned all claims for medical expenses and loss of income prior to March 30, 2011. In the result, the issue is whether the cause of action for the recovery of benefits for loss of income after that date began to run with TD’s blanket denial of
Section B benefits in late 2007/early 2008 or when the benefits at issue became payable pursuant to
Part II (Loss of Income) under Subsection 2 of
Section B, and paragraph 7 under Special Provisions,
Definitions and Exclusions of
Section B:
Part II – Loss of Income Subject to the provisions of this Part, the Insurer will pay a weekly payment for the loss of income from employment for the period during which the Insured person suffers substantial inability to perform the essential duties of his occupation or employment provided , (
a) Such person was employed at the date of the accident; (
b) Within 30 days from the date of the accident, and as a result of the accident, the Insured person suffers substantial inability to perform the essential duties of his occupation or employment for a period of not less than seven days; (
c) No payments shall be made for any period in excess of 104 weeks except that if, at the end of the 104 week period, it has been established that such injury continuously prevents such person from engaging in any occupation or employment for which he is reasonably suited by education, training or experience, the Insurer agrees to make such weekly payments for the duration of such inability to perform the essential duties .
(7) WHEN MONEYS PAYABLE (a) […] The initial benefits for loss of time under
Part II of subsection 2 shall be paid within 30 days after [the insurer] has received proof of claim, and payments shall be made thereafter within each 30-day period while the insurer remains liable for payments if the insured person, whenever required to do so, furnishes prior to payment proof of continuing disability . (
b) No person shall bring action to recover the amount of a claim under this
section unless the requirements of provisions (3) and (4) are complied with, nor until the amount of the loss has been ascertained as provided in this section. (
c) Every action or proceeding against the Insurer for the recovery of a claim under this
section shall be commenced within one year from the date on which the cause of action arose and not afterwards.
[Emphasis added.] D.
The severance order [20] In August 2013, the TD defendants applied for an order under Rule 47.03 severing “the issues ofentitlement to benefits under the contract of insurance” from the claims for bad faith, negligence and interference with contractualrelations and, correlatively, an order that the issue of entitlement to benefits under the contract be tried first. [21] On October 17, 2013, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench declined to make the order sought,as formulated, preferring instead to order that “the allegations in the Statement of Claim relating to the breach of contract” in connectionwith the Policy be severed from all other issues, and that the issue of breach of contract be tried first.
The order goes on to provide thatuntil “that threshold issue” is adjudicated all other issues raised in the Statement of Claim are irrelevant for both written and oraldiscovery purposes. [22] The only allegations in the Statement of Claim relating to “the breach of contract” in connectionwith the appellant’s Policy are that TD contravened Statutory Condition #8 by voiding the Policy retroactively and breached its paymentobligations under
Section B. On appeal from the severance order, Larlee J.A., who delivered the judgment of the Court, described thefirst issue to be adjudicated as follows: “was TD within its rights to void the policy because Mr. Shanks used the vehicle for business?”(see Shanks v. Shay et al., 2015 NBCA 2, 429 N.B.R. (2d) 290, at para. 24). Given the wording of the severance order, the secondthreshold issue was whether, as alleged in the Statement of Claim, TD breached its payment obligations under
Section B. That severanceorder, as interpreted and confirmed by our Court, has not been set aside or modified. Needless to say, the limitation issue adjudicated inthe court below is not an allegation of breach of contract in the Statement of Claim within the meaning of the severance order. E. The underlying motions and decision under appeal [23] Despite the severance order, in April 2019, the TD defendants applied for a determination underRule 23.01(1)(
a) that the appellant’s claims for
Section B benefits were time-barred and an order under Rule 23.01(1)(
b) striking allparagraphs in the Statement of Claim, as amended, that relate to the
Section B claims. In the Notice of Motion, the TD defendantsacknowledged the severance order prescribed the trial “as a threshold matter” of “the issue of whether TD could void its contract with[the appellant] and deny him
Section B benefits”. Unfortunately, that point appears to have been overlooked by the motion judge and theappellant’s counsel. [24] The motion judge determined the applicable limitation period was one year, pursuant toparagraph 7 (“When moneys payable”) in the Special Provisions,
Definitions and Exclusions of
Section B. In the judge’s view, the causeof action for all
Section B benefits, including those that had not yet accrued, arose on January 29, 2008 when TD provided the appellantwith a clear and all-encompassing denial of entitlement to any and all such benefits: The defendants contend that the plaintiff was required to commence his action seeking a payment of
Section B benefits no later than 28January 2009, which is one year after the clear denial was made by the defendants. Counsel for the defendants cites Dempsey v Dominion of Canada General Insurance Co., (NSSC). That case held thatthe insured was required to commence his action or proceeding against the insurer within one year from the date on which the cause ofaction arose. Also, in Dempsey the plaintiff argued that the payment under
Section B are regular and periodic and as a consequence theplaintiff suggests the insurer is under continuing liability for each succeeding benefit. In Dempsey the court found that there is one causeof action in the case and it arose at a certain period based on the denial of payment and that it was not a rolling limitation period.
I agreewith the defendants’ counsel that there was a clear denial. […] In Smith v Commercial Union Assurance Company of Canada, (NSSC), the issue of rolling limitation periods wouldonly be considered if there had already been an ongoing action and benefits had already been paid. [paras. 13-15] [25] The action having been commenced on April 30, 2012, it followed that all of the appellant’sSection B claims were time-barred. Consequently, the paragraphs in the Statement of Claim, as amended, that related to those claims didnot disclose a reasonable cause of action, and the motion judge ordered they be struck.
III. Analysis [ 26 ] As previewed in my introductory remarks, the following five questions may be settled within the framework of this appeal: (1) could the judge entertain the motions without first determining whether TD was within its rights to cancel the appellant’s Policy retroactively to a date preceding the accident?; (2) was the cancellation permissible under the Policy and the Act ?; (3) did the motion judge err in finding the one-year limitation period under subparagraph 7(
c) began to run, for all
Section B benefits, whether accrued or not, on the date TD advised none would be paid?; (4) does subparagraph 7(
c) prescribe a one-year limitation period for each loss of income benefit that begins to run only once it is payable by the insurer?; and (5) may Rule 23.01(1)(
a) provide relief where, as here, the question of law at issue is raised only in the responding party’s pleadings? As mentioned, my answer is “no” to questions (1) and (2), and “yes” to questions (3), (4) and (5). A. Question (1); the October 17, 2013 severance order [ 27 ] Having regard to the appellant’s abandonment of
Section B claims for medical expenses and for loss of income prior to March 31, 2011, the breach of contract allegations in the Statement of Claim that must be adjudicated as threshold issues pursuant to the severance order relate to TD’s breach of Statutory Condition #8 and breach of its payment obligations for loss of income from March 30, 2011 onward. In Shanks v. Shay , this Court identified the first issue to be adjudicated in accordance with the severance order as whether TD was “within its rights to void the policy because Mr. Shanks used the vehicle for business” (para. 24).
The motion judge erred in failing to make that threshold determination. [ 28 ] The issue of the legal validity of TD’s retroactive avoidance of the Policy has been fully debated in our Court. Moreover, the record at our disposal is more than sufficient to trigger Rule 62.21(1), which empowers the Court to render any decision and make any order that should have been made in first instance.
In my respectful judgment, it is in the interests of justice that we determine whether TD was within its rights to void the appellant’s Policy rather than refer that question back to the Court of Queen’s Bench. [ 29 ] In accordance with the severance order, the second question to be adjudicated as a threshold issue is whether TD breached its payment obligations under
Section B. The answer depends on whether: (1) the appellant breached Statutory Condition #1 by failing to notify TD of his use of the Ford Taurus to carry and deliver The Daily Gleaner to its subscribers; and (2) his accident-related injuries and their after-effects continuously prevent him “from engaging in any occupation or employment for which he is reasonably suited by education, training or experience” under
Part II – Loss of Income. The record at our disposal does not contain information that would allow us to assess the nature and extent of the disability, if any, that has afflicted the appellant since March of 2011. However, the uncontested documents in the record lend themselves to some observations regarding the alleged violation of Statutory Condition #1, which, it is hoped, will accelerate the resolution of the dispute on the merits. B.
Question (2); the legality of TD’s avoidance of the Policy [ 30 ] In its Statement of Defence, TD contends it was entitled to void the Policy on the basis of the appellant’s alleged violation of Statutory Condition #1. I disagree for the following reasons. [ 31 ] The nine Statutory Conditions set forth in s. 230(2) of the Act are deemed to be part of every contract of insurance, except for insurance coming within ss. 255, 256 or 257 (“Limited Accident Insurances”, including
Section B). That exception applies unless the contract provides otherwise. The introduction to “Statutory Conditions” in the Policy states Statutory Conditions #1 (“Material Change in Risk”), #8 (“Termination”) and #9 (“Notice”) apply as policy conditions with respect to
Section B. [ 32 ]
Part VII of the Act , which deals with automobile insurance, does not allow an insurer to void a contract of automobile insurance. That state of affairs may be contrasted to what avails in other Parts of the Act , which specifically provide that a policy is voided or rendered voidable at the instance of the insurer, in defined circumstances (see
Part IV “Fire Insurance”, at s. 127(2);
Part V “Life Insurance”, at s. 139(1);
Part VI “Accident and Sickness Insurance”, at s. 200(1); and
Part VIII “Livestock Insurance”, at s. 271(1)).
[33] Statutory Condition #4 under
Part IV (Fire Insurance) is particularly noteworthy because itprovides that any change material to the risk and within the control and knowledge of the insured shall “avoid the contract as to the partaffected thereby”, unless the change is promptly notified to the insurer. The quoted wording is not found in Statutory Condition #1 forautomobile insurance.
In the result, policy avoidance is not an option where Statutory Condition #1 is contravened. [34] In my view, where the insured breaches a term of the insurance contract, the insurer may onlybring an end to the contract by terminating it in accordance with Statutory Condition #8. As the Court noted in Merino v. ING InsuranceCompany of Canada, 2019 ONCA 326, [2019] O.J.
No. 2128 (QL), the scheme under the Ontario insurance legislation, which iscomparable, in key respects, to the scheme under our Act, “prescribes how an insurer may terminate its obligations under a contract it hasissued” and an insurer may not unilaterally void an automobile insurance contract at common law (para. 7).
Like its Ontario counterpart,the scheme under our Act precludes the unilateral avoidance by the insurer of an automobile insurance policy and confines its recoursefor breach of a Policy term to prospective termination of the policy in accordance with Statutory Condition #8. [35] In choosing avoidance, TD breached the Policy, specifically Statutory Condition #8. Since TDdid not lawfully bring the Policy to an end, it continued to be effective until the coverage term expired, namely on March 21, 2008, andall liability on the part of TD, if any, for
Section B loss of income benefits has continued unabated since that time. C. Questions (3) and (4); the application of subparagraph (7)(c) [36] While the question of the application of the limitation period under subparagraph 7(
c) does notstricto jure relate to an allegation of breach of contract in the Statement of Claim, it is closely connected. As well, the limitation issuewas fully debated in first instance and in our Court. I am satisfied that it is in the best interests of justice that we pass upon the motionjudge’s decision on point. [37] In the Supplementary Notice of Appeal, which was amended with leave of the Court, theappellant contends the motion judge “erred in failing to undertake […] a correct purposive analysis of the […] common law principlesshe was required to consider”.
The appellant also contends the judge erred in failing to consider that TD’s “retroactive termination […]constituted […] a repudiation” of the Policy. The common law doctrine of anticipatory repudiation was referenced by the panel at thehearing and the parties were given an opportunity to flesh out their views on the subject. In my respectful view, the motion judge erred inlaw in failing to consider and apply that doctrine. [38] An anticipatory repudiation is one where a party communicates an intention not to comply with contractual obligations that have yet to arise (see G.H.L.
Fridman, The Law of Contract in Canada, 6th ed. (Toronto: Carswell, 2011) atp. 585). TD’s purported avoidance of the Policy in late 2007/early 2008 constituted an anticipatory repudiation of its contractual paymentobligations in respect of the benefits at issue, namely for loss of income from March 30, 2011 to April 30, 2012, and onward. [39] As a result of TD’s anticipatory repudiation of its payment obligations under
Section B, theappellant had two options: (1) he could act upon TD’s repudiation and sue immediately for damages; or (2) he could treat the Policy assubsisting, press TD to abide by its obligations under
Section B and simply wait and see whether TD did eventually refuse to perform itsSection B obligations when they fell due (see Brown v. Belleville (City), 2013 ONCA 148, [2013] O.J. No. 1071 (QL), at para. 44). Untilthe appellant “accepted” TD’s breach, no cause of action accrued (see Ali v. O-Two Medical Technologies Inc., 2013 ONCA 733, [2013]O.J. No. 5547 (QL), at para. 26, and Hurst v. Hancock, 2019 ONCA 483, [2019] O.J. No. 3045 (QL), at para. 19).
The appellant chosethe second option and, as a result, the cause of action for the recovery of each loss of income benefit at issue arose when it becamepayable and the appellant “accepted” TD’s breach, which he did by bringing the underlying action. In this regard, I am in substantialagreement with the views of Justice P.S. Creaghan in LeBlanc v. Zurich Insurance Co. (2000), (NB KB), 231 N.B.R.(2d) 112, [2000] N.B.J.
No. 441 (Q.B.) (QL): The legal issue presented on this Application, however, is whether there is a continuing advancement of the limitation period, such that itruns for each payment for a period of twelve months, so that even if payments that were to be paid twelve months prior to the Notice ofAction being issued are prescribed, nevertheless, those that may be payable within or after that twelve month period are not prescribedand can be recovered provided the terms of the policy have been complied with. Put in other words, does the limitation period for a claim against a
Section B insurer run from the time the insurer clearly andunequivocally states it will entertain no further claims or does it run from the time each periodic payment would be due if the insurer hadan obligation to pay under the policy?
The limitation period commences on the date when the cause of action arose. The law as stated in Insurance Law in Canada, C. Brown and J. Menezes, (Toronto: Carswell, 1999), at page 17-66 is and I quote: Where the limitation period commences on the date the cause of action arises, the insurer does not have to do anything to start thelimitation period running. With respect to claims for on-going weekly benefits, the limitation period commences on the date on whichthe payment for the particular time period would be due from the insurer. Each particular time period has its own separate limitationperiod.
This principle is supported by a line of Ontario decisions referred to me by the Plaintiff which I have taken the opportunity to read.These cases do stand for the statement of law set out by Brown and Menezes to the effect that the rights of a plaintiff to no-faultpayments accrue to him from week to week according to the terms of the policy. An [insured] does not have a single cause of action, butrather contractual rights which mature if the conditions prescribed in the contract exist. Morgan v. Dominion Insurance Corp. (1980) (ON SC), 118 D.L.R. (3d) 675 (Ont.
H.C.). [paras. 16-20] [40] Loss of income benefits, such as those at issue here, are payable within 30 days (seesubparagraph 7(a)). As a result, the limitation period for each subsisting claim expires one year after it became payable by TD. It followsthat none of the claims for loss of income benefits after March 30, 2011 is barred by subparagraph 7(c). The motion judge erred infinding otherwise. D. Question (5); Rule 23.01(1)(a) [41] Rule 23.01(1)(
a) provides a party may apply, at any time before the action is set down for trial,for the determination of any question of law raised by a pleading where the determination may dispose of the action, shorten the trial orresult in a substantial saving of costs. The TD defendants do not allege in the Statement of Defence the appellant’s recovery of
Section Bloss of income benefits is time-barred by subparagraph 7(c). The Statement of Defence states the action is “statute-barred” and refers tothe Limitation of Actions Act. The issue is whether the question of law for which a determination is sought under Rule 23.01(1)(
a) mustbe raised in the moving party’s pleadings. [42] Rule 23.01(1)(
a) may be invoked for the determination of any question of law raised by “apleading in the action”. The appellant raised the issue of the application of subparagraph 7(
c) in his Reply and Defence to Counterclaim.As a result, the proper
interpretation of subparagraph 7(
c) became a “question of law raised by a pleading” within the meaning of Rule23.01(1)(a). I now turn to the second threshold issue to be determined pursuant to the severance order of April 17, 2013, which iswhether TD breached its payment obligations under
Section B. E. The alleged breach by TD of its payment obligations under
Section B [43] Even though TD breached Statutory Condition #8, the appellant’s
Section B claims may yet failby virtue of s. 229(1), which provides an insured’s claim is invalid and his or her right to recover indemnity is forfeited in a number ofsituations, including where the insured contravened a term of the insurance contract. TD contends the appellant contravened StatutoryCondition #1 by failing to notify it in writing of his use of the Ford Taurus to deliver The Daily Gleaner. The TD defendants did notplead s. 229(1) in their Statement of Defence and did not invoke it in first instance; they raised it for the first time in their third writtensubmission on appeal.
At the hearing, the respondents moved for leave to amend the Statement of Defence to plead s. 229(1). Theappellant objected, primarily on the grounds of tardiness and its reconfiguring effect on the debate on appeal. We dismissed the motion.If a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench sees fit to grant TD’s application for amendment, the following may help in sharpening thefocus of the debate over the allegation of a breach of Statutory Condition #1.
Needless to say, there may well be other considerations.Ultimately, materiality is a question of fact to be determined on the basis of relevant evidence. [44] Nevertheless, there is an objective dimension to Statutory Condition #1. The insurer mustestablish: (1) the risk that is material to the contract; and (2) a change in that risk. With respect to the former requirement, courts arefirst tasked with identifying where the risk is described. One would reflexively assume that at least part of the focus would be on thePolicy.
Section 2 of Statutory Condition #1, which, as noted, is incorporated in the Policy, is plainly relevant. It provides illustrations ofchanges in risk that are material to the contract, and a finding at odds with one of those illustrations is unsustainable on appeal: Lewis v.General Accident Indemnity Co. (1998), (NB CA), 207 N.B.R. (2d) 87, [1998] N.B.J. No. 487 (C.A.) (QL)). None
of those illustrations is in play here. The issue is whether the use of the Ford Taurus to carry and deliver newspapers amounts to a change in the risk material to the contract. One would think that a use of the insured automobile will amount to a change in the risk material to the contract if it is excluded by the contract. The converse is arguably correct.
Yet, other documents may be relevant in ascertaining the risk material to the contract. [ 45 ] In this respect, I note the appellant did not execute an application for insurance in connection with the Ford Taurus; t he only application for insurance in the record was made in 2002 to Liberty Mutual Insurance Company for a Ford Ranger truck. I note, as well, the Certificate of Insurance for the last Policy period for the Ford Taurus refers to “Commute to work” under the rubric of vehicle use. “Commute to work” is not defined in the Certificate.
Presumably, there is a logical explanation for what the phrase includes or excludes, particularly in connection with a job that involves carrying and delivering newspapers to subscriber residences. One of the perplexing questions is the location of the “work” in that context. [ 46 ] Moreover, the Certificate states it is “evidence of a contract of insurance between the insured and the insurer subject in all respects to the New Brunswick Standard Owner’s Policy S.P.F. No. 1 (SF)”. It adds the “contract is contained only in the Policy”.
The phrase “commute to work” is not defined in the Policy, and carrying newspapers in the insured automobile for delivery to subscribers is not an excluded use under the Policy. Paragraph 8 under General Provisions,
Definitions and Exclusions identifies uses that are excluded: 8. EXCLUDED USES Unless coverage is expressly given by an endorsement of this policy, the Insurer shall not be liable under this policy while, (
a) the automobile is rented or leased to another, provided that the use by an employee of his automobile on the business of his employer and for which he is paid shall not be deemed the renting or leasing of the automobile to another ; (
b) the automobile is used to carry explosives, or to carry radioactive material for research, education, development or industrial purposes, or for purposes incidental thereto; (
c) the automobile is used as a taxicab, public omnibus, livery, jitney or sightseeing conveyance or for carrying passengers for compensation or hire; provided that the following uses shall not be deemed to be the carrying of passengers for compensation or hire; (
i) the use by the insured of his automobile for the carriage of another person in return for the former’s carriage in the automobile of the latter; (ii) the occasional and infrequent use by the Insured of his automobile for the carriage of another person who shares the cost of the trip; (iii) the use by the Insured of his automobile for the carriage of a temporary or permanent domestic servant of the Insured or his spouse or common law partner; (iv) the use by the Insured of his automobile for the carriage of clients or customers or prospective clients or customers; (
v) the occasional and infrequent use by the Insured of his automobile for the transportation of children to or from school or school activities conducted within the education program. [Emphasis added.] [ 47 ] At the hearing, TD did not provide a compelling answer to the proposition that it might be implied from the underlined provision that covered uses include the use by the insured of the motor vehicle on the employer’s business for which the insured is paid. Given more time to reflect, TD may yet be able to persuasively counter that suggestion.
At any rate, the concern with excluding the use of the insured vehicle for certain carriage purposes under paragraph 8 is directed at the carriage of
persons or dangerous materials, which would appear to be particularly riskier, in terms of insurance exposure, than carrying and delivering newspapers. [ 48 ] Finally, the appellant contends in his Reply and Defence to Counterclaim that there is a subjective dimension to Statutory Condition #1. It would be breached only where there is a change that is objectively material to the risk under the contract and the insured knew it was material to the risk.
The appellant alleges he did not know his use of the insured automobile to carry and deliver The Daily Gleaner constituted a change material to the risk, and he relies on Violette v. Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company , 2012 NBQB 47 , 388 N.B.R. (2d) 103 , per LaVigne, J., as she then was.
I note that when TD forwarded the Policy renewal on January 26, 2007, it advised the appellant that, with “the removal of the age and marital status as rating factors, driving experience becomes the main [criterion] to establish premiums”. [ 49 ] Be that as it may, in his submission at the hearing, counsel for TD asserted the record on appeal is incomplete with respect to the issue of the appellant’s breach of Statutory Condition #1. This may well be the case given that the focus in first instance was mainly on the limitation issue.
As I understood counsel’s representation against a determination by this Court of the allegation that the appellant contravened Statutory Condition #1, not all relevant documents form part of the record and testimonial evidence is needed to address the objective and subjective dimensions of Statutory Condition #1. As well, it was suggested the appellant’s testimony at discovery, which is not in the record, may work against him with respect to the subjective component of Statutory Condition #1.
In those circumstances, it would be unwise for the Court to settle the allegation that the appellant contravened Statutory Condition #1. IV. Conclusion [ 50 ] In my respectful view, the motion judge erred: (1) in failing to determine, as a threshold issue, whether the respondent, TD Home and Auto Insurance Company, was within its rights to void the appellant’s automobile insurance policy as of a date preceding his accident; (2) in finding the cause of action for purposes of the one-year limitation period applicable to
Section B benefits was complete once TD advised the appellant no
Section B benefits, whether accrued or not, would be paid; and (3) in finding the appellant’s action in damages for all
Section B benefits was time-barred. [ 51 ] It is for these reasons, which are developed hereinabove, that I joined my panel colleagues in allowing the appeal and setting aside the decision rendered in first instance, with costs throughout totalling $10,000. Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE DRAPEAU I. Introduction [1] Le 28 septembre 2007, tandis qu’il livrait The Daily Gleaner à des abonnés du journal, l’appelant, alors âgé de 65 ans, a été blessé lors d’une collision entre deux véhicules sur la route. L’appelant a signalé l’accident à son assureur, la Compagnie d’assurance habitation et auto TD, et réclamé des indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B (sans égard à la responsabilité). La condition légale 1, qui impose à l’assuré d’aviser promptement l’assureur de toute modification du risque essentielle au contrat dont il a connaissance, s’applique au
chapitre B. [2] À la fin de décembre 2007 ou au début de janvier 2008, la TD a résilié la police de l’appelant rétroactivement à une date antérieure à l’accident. Cela était justifié, d’après la TD, puisque l’appelant avait enfreint la condition légale 1 en ne l’avisant pas d’une modification du risque essentielle au contrat, soit l’utilisation du véhicule assuré pour livrer des journaux. La TD a informé l’appelant en même temps qu’aucune indemnité au
titre du
chapitre B ne lui serait versée puisque, en raison de sa résiliation rétroactive, la police n’était pas en vigueur au moment de l’accident. N’acceptant pas cette répudiation de la police, l’appelant a continué de faire pression sur la TD, par l’entremise de ses avocats, pour qu’elle exécute volontairement ses obligations découlant du
chapitre B. Ces efforts ayant été vains, l’appelant a introduit l’action sous-jacente le 30 avril 2012. [3] Par application du par. 7c) des Dispositions spéciales, définitions et exclusions applicables au
chapitre B de la F.T.P. N° 1, Police type de propriétaire, l’introduction d’une action contre l’assureur en recouvrement d’une indemnité au
titre du
chapitre B se prescrit par un an à compter de « la date à laquelle la cause d’action a pris naissance ». Une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a déterminé, dans le cadre d’une motion présentée par les intimés en vertu de la règle 23.01(1)
a) des Règles de procédure , que l’action de l’appelant en recouvrement des indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B, accumulées ou non, était prescrite par application du par. 7c). Il en était ainsi parce que l’action avait été introduite plus d’un an après que la TD eut informé l’appelant de la résiliation rétroactive de la police et du fait que, pour ce motif, aucune indemnité au
titre du
chapitre B ne serait versée. La juge a aussi ordonné, au
titre de la règle 23.01(1)b), la radiation de tous les paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande modifié portant sur le recouvrement de ces indemnités (voir Shanks c. TD et al. , 2019 NBBR 269 , [2019] A.N.-B. n° 352 (QL)). [4] L’appelant est maintenant âgé de 77 ans. À l’évidence, le règlement du litige est d’une lenteur insoutenable. En outre, les indemnités en suspens réclamées au
titre du
chapitre B sont d’un montant relativement modeste; une somme hebdomadaire de 214,94 $ est réclamée pour la perte de revenu et l’appelant a renoncé à toute réclamation pour prestations médicales ou perte de revenu pour la période allant du 28 septembre 2007, la date de l’accident, au 30 mars 2011.
Le principe de proportionnalité et la nécessité largement admise que tous les intervenants du système de justice favorisent le règlement rapide et abordable des litiges militent en faveur de la résolution par notre Cour du plus grand nombre possible de questions. [5] Néanmoins, compte tenu des contraintes découlant de la teneur actuelle des plaidoiries, des questions soulevées devant la juridiction inférieure, du dossier restreint dont nous disposons et des observations des parties, je conclus à regret qu’il n’est possible de trancher résolument à l’heure actuelle que les questions de savoir (1) si la juge pouvait connaître des motions sans d’abord décider si la TD était fondée à résilier rétroactivement la police de l’appelant à une date antérieure à l’accident; (2) si la police et la
Loi sur les assurances , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. I-12, (la Loi ) autorisaient la résiliation; (3) si la juge saisie de la motion a conclu erronément que le délai de prescription d’un an prévu au par. 7c) avait commencé à courir, pour toutes les indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B, accumulées ou non, à la date à laquelle la TD avait informé l’appelant qu’aucune telle indemnité ne serait versée; (4) si le délai de prescription d’un an prévu au par. 7c) commence à courir, pour chaque indemnité pour perte de revenu, seulement une fois qu’elle est payable par l’assureur; (5) si la règle 23.01(1)
a) peut être invoquée lorsque, comme en l’espèce, la question de droit en jeu n’est soulevée que dans la plaidoirie de la
partie intimée. Cela dit, certaines observations sont de mise quant à la prétendue violation par la TD de ses obligations de paiement découlant de la
partie II du
chapitre B (Perte de revenu) et, de manière connexe, la prétendue violation par l’appelant de la condition légale 1, ne serait-ce que pour offrir une orientation – non contraignante – en vue des débats afin d’accélérer le règlement du litige. [6] Le 22 septembre 2020, nous avons accueilli l’appel et indiqué que des motifs suivraient. Les motifs pour lesquels j’en arrive à la présente décision, de concert avec les autres membres de la formation, sont exposés ci-après. Comme nous le verrons, je réponds par la négative aux questions (1) et (2) et par l’affirmative aux questions (3), (4) et (5). II.
Vue d’ensemble du contexte [7] Le 28 septembre 2007, alors qu’il livrait The Daily Gleaner à des abonnés, l’appelant a subi des blessures lorsque son véhicule, une Ford Taurus 1994, est entré en collision avec un autre. L’appelant a signalé promptement l’accident à la Compagnie d’assurance habitation et auto TD et réclamé des indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B. Un occupant de l’autre véhicule a aussi présenté une réclamation. [8] Après avoir mené une enquête et consulté des avocats, la TD a avisé l’appelant, le 28 décembre 2007, que sa police était [TRADUCTION] « résiliée (annulé
e) en date du 30 juin 2007 en raison d’une modification essentielle du risque (affectation du ou des véhicules assurés à la livraison) ». L’appelant a été avisé que la
partie non acquise de toute prime versée serait portée au crédit de son compte. [9] Très tôt, l’appelant a retenu les services d’un avocat de Moncton pour qu’il l’aide à obtenir des indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B. Le 16 janvier 2008, la TD a avisé l’avocat de l’appelant que son client n’avait pas droit à ces indemnités puisque la police avait été résiliée en date du 30 juin 2007. Le 29 janvier 2008, la TD a informé l’appelant par lettre recommandée que, la police ayant été résiliée rétroactivement au 30 juin 2007, aucune garantie n’était en vigueur le 28 septembre 2007, la date de l’accident. Par conséquent, la TD n’indemniserait pas l’appelant de sa perte. Soit dit entre parenthèses, les intimés ont soutenu devant la juridiction inférieure que, par la lettre du 29 janvier 2008, la TD avait opposé un refus formel au versement de quelque indemnité au
titre du
chapitre B que ce soit, accumulée ou non, et que l’appelant devait ainsi introduire son action en dommages-intérêts à l’égard des indemnités dans l’année suivant cette date (le 28 janvier 2009 au plus tard).
[10] L’appelant a retenu par la suite les services de son avocat actuel. Par lettre datée du 4 mai 2020, ce dernier a demandé à la TD de considérer de nouveau sa décision de nier la couverture. Il s’est dit surpris que la TD ait résilié rétroactivement la police de son client [TRADUCTION] « alors que tout avocat du Nouveau-Brunswick » aurait pu signaler qu’une telle mesure était interdite par la Loi , particulièrement la condition légale 8, dont je reproduis les extraits pertinents : Résiliation 8.
(1) Le présent contrat peut être résilié
a) par l’assureur, moyennant un avis de résiliation de quinze jours envoyé par courrier recommandé ou un avis écrit de résiliation de cinq jours remis à la personne même; b) […]
(2) Lorsque le présent contrat est résilié par l’assureur,
a) celui-ci doit rembourser l’excédent de la prime effectivement acquittée sur la prime calculée au prorata de la période écoulée, mais cette prime calculée au prorata ne doit en aucun cas être réputée inférieure à toute prime minimale spécifiée; et
b) le remboursement doit accompagner l’avis sauf si le montant de la prime doit être rajusté ou fixé et, dans ce cas, il doit se faire aussitôt que possible. (3) […]
(4) Le remboursement peut être effectué en espèces ou par mandat postal ou exprès de la compagnie ou par chèque payable au pair.
(5) Le délai de quinze jours mentionné à l’alinéa a) du paragraphe (1) de la présente condition commence à courir à partir du lendemain de la réception de la lettre recommandée au bureau de poste de sa destination. [11] La TD a refusé catégoriquement de considérer de nouveau la résiliation de la police et son refus général de verser des indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B. A. Exposé de la demande [12] Le 30 avril 2012, l’appelant a introduit une action contre la TD et ses examinateurs des réclamations (les défendeurs TD, lorsque le contexte s’y prête) par laquelle il demandait réparation pour la violation par la TD de la condition légale 8 (en répudiant et annulant rétroactivement sa police) et la violation par la TD de ses obligations de paiement, notamment d’indemnités pour perte de revenu au
titre du
chapitre B à compter de la date de l’accident. Fait important, toutefois, l’appelant a abandonné, à l’audience devant notre Cour, toute réclamation pour frais médicaux et perte de revenu pour la période antérieure au 30 mars 2011. [13] Dans son exposé de la demande, l’appelant a aussi réclamé des dommages-intérêts fondés sur la mauvaise foi et la négligence dont les défendeurs TD auraient fait preuve dans le traitement de sa demande présentée au
titre du
chapitre B. Par la suite, l’appelant a modifié son exposé de la demande pour y ajouter une demande contre les examinateurs des
réclamations de la TD, demande fondée sur l’atteinte illicite aux rapports contractuels. En plus des intérêts et dépens ainsi que des dommages-intérêts généraux, majorés et punitifs, l’appelant sollicite, dans l’exposé de la demande modifié, les mesures de redressement suivantes : (1) une déclaration portant que sa police était en vigueur lorsque l’accident est survenu, le 28 septembre 2007, et que la répudiation et l’annulation rétroactives de la police par la TD enfreignaient la Loi et violaient la police, plus précisément la condition légale 8; (2) une déclaration portant qu’il avait droit à des indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B; (3 ) des dommages-intérêts particuliers correspondant aux indemnités que la TD aurait dû payer. B. Exposé de la défense et demande reconventionnelle [14] Dans la formule d’exposé de la défense et demande reconventionnelle qu’ils ont déposée, les défendeurs TD ont reconnu (1) que la TD avait délivré la police visant la Ford Taurus 1994 impliquée dans l’accident du 28 septembre 2007; (2) que la police, renouvelée à diverses reprises, était censée couvrir la période du 21 mars 2007 au 21 mars 2008; (3) que, le 1 er octobre 2007, l’appelant a présenté une demande d’indemnité en lien avec l’accident.
Les défendeurs ont ensuite expliqué que, au cours de l’enquête subséquente, la TD avait découvert que l’appelant avait utilisé la Ford Taurus 1994 à des fins [TRADUCTION] « commerciales », soit la livraison de The Daily Gleaner . La TD avait donc résilié la police [TRADUCTION] « en raison d’une modification essentielle du risque ». De plus, selon les défendeurs, l’appelant s’était [TRADUCTION] « présenté de manière inexacte, intentionnellement ou par négligence, en ne dévoilant pas un fait substantiel, soit que la Ford Taurus était utilisée à des fins commerciales ».
Les défendeurs font valoir et invoquent la condition légale 1, libellée ainsi : Modification essentielle du risque 1.
(1) L’assuré nommément désigné dans le présent contrat doit promptement aviser par écrit l’assureur ou son agent local de toute modification essentielle à l’évaluation du risque dont il a connaissance.
(2) Sans restreindre la portée générale de ce qui précède, l’expression « modification du risque essentielle au contrat » comprend :
a) tout changement dans l’intérêt assurable qu’a l’assuré nommé au présent contrat dans l’automobile en raison d’une vente, d’une cession ou de toute autre façon, sauf dans le cas d’un transfert du
titre de propriété par succession, par décès ou par des procédures prises en vertu de la
Loi sur la faillite (Canada); et dans le cas d’une assurance contre la perte de l’automobile ou les dommages qui peuvent lui être causés,
b) une hypothèque, un privilège ou une charge grevant l’automobile après la proposition relative au présent contrat;
c) toute autre assurance du même intérêt, qu’elle soit valide ou non, couvrant les pertes ou dommages déjà couverts par le présent contrat, ou une
partie de ceux-ci. [15] Les défendeurs TD affirment aussi que le contrat d’assurance conclu entre les parties leur imposait à toutes de faire preuve de la plus absolue bonne foi, et que [TRADUCTION] « l’assertion inexacte ou le défaut d’information » de l’appelant constituait un manquement à cette obligation. Ils demandent que l’action soit rejetée sur le fond, avant de conclure que, tout état de cause, elle est prescrite par application de la
Loi sur la prescription , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5. Le délai de prescription d’un an énoncé au par. 7c) des Dispositions spéciales, définitions et exclusions applicables au
chapitre B n’est pas plaidé dans l’exposé de la défense et demande reconventionnelle, non plus que le par. 229(1) de la Loi , qui prévoit que, lorsque l’assuré « contrevient à une disposition du contrat […] la demande de règlement produite par l’assuré est invalide et l’assuré est déchu de son droit à l’indemnité ». [16] De plus, la TD a formé une demande reconventionnelle visant la somme versée en règlement de la mise en cause liée à l’accident (75 000 $), ainsi que les honoraires d’avocat (21 990,26 $) et les frais d’enquête (8 536,38 $) connexes. C. Réplique et défense reconventionnelle
[17] Dans sa réplique et défense reconventionnelle, l’appelant soutient que la TD n’était pas fondée en droit à annuler la police, et encore moins à le faire rétroactivement. Il affirme que la seule possibilité s’offrant à la TD était de résilier la police de manière prospective, conformément à la condition légale 8, dont les dispositions pertinentes sont reproduites ci-dessus. [18] L’appelant ajoute qu’utiliser la Ford Taurus 1994 pour transporter et livrer des journaux ne constituait pas une modification du risque essentielle au contrat, au sens de la condition légale 1.
J’examinerai cette question plus loin dans les présents motifs. [19] L’appelant affirme aussi que la cause d’action quant aux réclamations présentées au
titre du
chapitre B – dans le cadre desquelles des mesures déclaratoires et des dommages-intérêts particuliers sont sollicités dans l’exposé de la demande – n’a pas pris naissance avant que ne s’applique le délai de prescription prévu au par. 7c) des Dispositions spéciales, définitions et exclusions applicables au
chapitre B. Tel qu’il a été mentionné, l’appelant a abandonné toute réclamation pour frais médicaux et perte de revenu pour la période antérieure au 30 mars 2011. Il s’agit de savoir, ainsi, si la cause d’action en vue du recouvrement d’indemnités pour perte de revenu postérieurement à cette date a commencé à courir lorsque la TD a opposé un refus général au versement d’indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B, en fin 2007/début 2008, ou lorsque les indemnités en cause sont devenues payables par application de la
partie II (Perte de revenu), division 2 du
chapitre B et du par. 7, Dispositions spéciales, définitions et exclusions applicables au
chapitre B :
Partie II – Perte de revenu
Sous réserve des autres dispositions de la présente partie, en cas d’empêchement sérieux de la personne assurée d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi, il est payé, pendant la durée de l’invalidité, une indemnité hebdomadaire de perte de revenu, pourvu que :
a) la personne assurée soit employée à la date de l’accident;
b) l’empêchement sérieux de la personne assurée d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi se manifeste dans les trente jours qui suivent la date de l’accident et dure au moins sept jours;
c) l’indemnité soit payée pendant une période maximale de cent quatre semaines; cependant, s’il est démontré, à la fin de cette période, que les dommages corporels continuent d’empêcher la personne d’exercer une profession ou un emploi pour lequel elle est raisonnablement adaptée par ses études, sa formation ou son expérience, l’assureur s’engage à verser l’indemnité hebdomadaire tant que l’empêchement sérieux persiste.
(7) DÉLAI DE PAIEMENT a) […] Les prestations initiales pour perte de revenu, prévues par la
partie II de la division 2, sont versées dans les trente jours de la réception de la preuve du sinistre et le paiement est par la suite effectué tous les trente jours tant que l’assureur demeure tenu d’effectuer les paiements, si la personne assurée, lorsqu’elle en est requis, fournit, avant le paiement, la preuve que son invalidité demeure ;
b) Aucune action ne peut être intentée en recouvrement d’une indemnité prévue par le présent chapitre, à moins que les exigences prévues aux paragraphes (3) et (4) aient été respectées et que le montant de la perte n’ait été établi conformément au présent chapitre;
c) L’introduction d’une action ou d’une procédure contre l’assureur en recouvrement d’une indemnité en vertu du présent
chapitre se prescrit par un an à compter de la date à laquelle la cause d’action a pris naissance. [C’est moi qui souligne.] D. Ordonnance de disjonction
[20] En août 2013, les défendeurs TD ont demandé que soit rendue une ordonnance, au
titre de larègle 47.03, en vue de l’instruction séparée [TRADUCTION] « des questions concernant le droit à des indemnités au
titre du contratd’assurance » et celles concernant la mauvaise foi, la négligence et l’atteinte aux rapports contractuels, ainsi que, corrélativement, uneordonnance prescrivant que la question du droit à des indemnités au
titre du contrat soit instruite en premier. [21] Le 17 octobre 2013, une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a jugé bon de ne pas rendrel’ordonnance sollicitée, telle qu’elle était formulée, et a plutôt préféré ordonner que [TRADUCTION] « les allégations contenues dansl’exposé de la demande se rapportant à la rupture de contrat », en lien avec la police, soient disjointes de toutes les autres questions, etque la question de la rupture de contrat soit instruite en premier.
Il était ensuite ordonné que, jusqu’à ce que [TRADUCTION] « cettequestion préjudicielle » soit tranchée, toutes les autres questions soulevées dans l’exposé de la demande soient considérées comme nonpertinentes pour ce qui est de l’interrogatoire préalable écrit et oral. [22] Les seules allégations faites dans l’exposé de la demande se rapportant à [TRADUCTION] « larupture de contrat », en lien avec la police de l’appelant, sont que la TD a enfreint la condition légale 8 en annulant la policerétroactivement et a manqué à ses obligations de paiement découlant du
chapitre B. La juge d’appel Larlee, qui a rendu le jugement denotre Cour dans l’appel interjeté à l’encontre de l’ordonnance de disjonction, a décrit comme suit la première question à trancher : « [L]aTD était-elle fondée à annuler la police pour le motif que M. Shanks utilisait le véhicule à des fins commerciales? » (voir Shanks c. Shay et autres, 2015 NBCA 2, 429 R.N.-B. (2e) 290, par. 24). Compte tenu du libellé de l’ordonnance de disjonction, la deuxième questionpréjudicielle était celle de savoir si, tel qu’il était allégué dans l’exposé de la demande, la TD avait manqué à ses obligations de paiementdécoulant du
chapitre B. Cette ordonnance de disjonction, telle qu’elle a été interprétée et confirmée par notre Cour, n’a été ni annulée nimodifiée. Il va sans dire que la question de la prescription que la juridiction inférieure a tranchée en l’instance ne correspond pas à uneallégation, dans l’exposé de la demande, se rapportant à la rupture de contrat au sens de l’ordonnance de disjonction. E. Motions sous-jacentes et décision frappée d’appel [23] En avril 2019, malgré l’ordonnance de disjonction, les défendeurs TD ont demandé qu’il soitdéclaré, en vertu de la règle 23.01(1)a), que les demandes d’indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B faites par l’appelant étaient prescrites, etque soit ordonnée, en vertu de la règle 23.01(1)b), la radiation de tous les paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande modifié se rapportantaux indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B. Dans l’avis de motion, les défendeurs TD ont reconnu que l’ordonnance de disjonction prescrivaitque « la question de savoir si la TD pouvait annuler son contrat avec [l’appelant] et refuser de lui verser des indemnités au
titre duchapitre B soit tranchée à
titre de question préjudicielle ». Malheureusement, la juge saisie de la motion et l’avocat de l’appelantsemblent avoir fermé les yeux sur ce point. [24] La juge saisie de la motion a déterminé qu’un délai de prescription d’un an était applicable, envertu du par. 7 (« Délai de paiement ») des Dispositions spéciales, définitions et exclusions afférentes au
chapitre B. À son avis, la caused’action à l’égard de toutes les indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B, y compris celles non encore accumulées, avait pris naissance le29 janvier 2008, la date du refus formel et général de la TD, opposé à l’appelant, de lui verser la moindre indemnité : Les défendeurs soutiennent que le demandeur devait engager au plus tard le 28 janvier 2009, soit un an après leur refus formel, sonaction en vue du versement des indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B. L’avocat des défendeurs invoque la décision Dempsey c. Dominion of Canada General Insurance Co., (NSSC). Il y aété décidé que l’assuré devait engager son action ou sa procédure contre l’assureur dans l’année suivant la date à laquelle la caused’action avait pris naissance. Dans Dempsey, de plus, le demandeur avait soutenu que, les indemnités versées au
titre du
chapitre B étantversées régulièrement et périodiquement, la responsabilité de l’assureur à l’égard de chaque versement successif était continue. La cour aconclu dans cette affaire qu’il y a une cause d’action unique dans l’affaire, prenant naissance à un moment établi en fonction du refus depaiement, et qu’il ne s’agissait pas d’un délai de prescription continu. Je suis d’accord avec l’avocat des défendeurs pour dire qu’il y a euun refus formel. […] Dans Smith c.
Commercial Union Assurance Company of Canada, (NSSC), la cour n’allait considérer la question desdélais de prescription continus que si une action avait déjà été en cours et des indemnités avaient déjà été versées. [par. 13 à 15] [25] L’action ayant été introduite le 30 avril 2012, toutes les demandes d’indemnités au
titre duchapitre B de l’appelant étaient donc prescrites. Par conséquent, les paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande modifié se rapportant à cesdemandes ne révélaient aucune cause d’action raisonnable, et la juge saisie de la motion a ordonné qu’ils soient radiés.
III. Analyse [26] Comme le laissaient voir mes observations préliminaires, cinq questions peuvent être tranchées dans le cadre du présent appel, soit celles de savoir (1) si la juge pouvait connaître des motions sans d’abord décider si la TD était fondée à résilier rétroactivement la police de l’appelant à une date antérieure à l’accident; (2) si la police et la Loi autorisaient la résiliation; (3) si la juge saisie de la motion a conclu erronément que le délai de prescription d’un an prévu au par. 7c) avait commencé à courir, pour toutes les indemnités au
titre du
chapitre B, accumulées ou non, à la date à laquelle la TD avait informé l’appelant qu’aucune telle indemnité ne serait versée; (4) si le délai de prescription d’un an prévu au par. 7c) commence à courir à l’égard de chaque indemnité pour perte de revenu, seulement une fois qu’elle est payable par l’assureur; (5) si la règle 23.01(1)
a) peut être invoquée lorsque, comme en l’espèce, la question de droit en jeu n’est soulevée que dans la plaidoirie de la
partie intimée. Tel qu’il a été mentionné, je réponds par la négative aux questions (1) et (2) et par l’affirmative aux questions (3), (4) et (5). A. Question (1) – L’ordonnance de disjonction du 17 octobre 2013 [27] Compte tenu de l’abandon par l’appelant de toute réclamation présentée au
titre du
chapitre B pour frais médicaux et perte de revenu pour la période antérieure au 31 mars 2011, les allégations de rupture de contrat figurant dans l’exposé de la demande qui doivent être tranchées à
titre de questions préjudicielles, conformément à l’ordonnance de disjonction, ont trait à la violation par la TD de la condition légale 8 et de ses obligations de paiement d’indemnités pour perte de revenu pour la période postérieure au 30 mars 2011. Dans l’arrêt Shanks c. Shay , notre Cour a indiqué que la première question à trancher en application de l’ordonnance de disjonction était celle de savoir si la TD était « fondée à annuler la police pour le motif que M. Shanks utilisait le véhicule à des fins commerciales » (par. 24).
La juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur en omettant de trancher cette question préjudicielle. [28] La question de la validité juridique de l’annulation rétroactive de la police par la TD a été largement débattue devant notre Cour. De plus, le dossier dont nous disposons suffit amplement pour déclencher l’application de la règle 62.21(1), qui confère à la Cour le pouvoir de rendre toute décision ou ordonnance qui aurait dû être rendue en première instance.
Avec égards, j’estime qu’il est dans l’intérêt de la justice que, plutôt que de renvoyer la question à la Cour du Banc de la Reine, nous décidions si TD était fondée à annuler la police de l’appelant. [29] En application de l’ordonnance de disjonction, la deuxième question préjudicielle à trancher est celle de savoir si la TD a manqué à ses obligations de paiement découlant du
chapitre B. Pour y répondre, il faut examiner (1) si l’appelant a violé la condition légale 1 en n’avisant pas la TD qu’il utilisait la Ford Taurus pour transporter et livrer The Daily Gleaner à des abonnés, et (2) si ses dommages corporels liés à l’accident et leurs répercussions continuent de l’empêcher « d’exercer une profession ou un emploi pour lequel [il] est raisonnablement adapt[é] par ses études, sa formation ou son expérience », aux termes de la
partie II – Perte de revenu. Le dossier dont nous disposons ne nous permet pas d’évaluer la nature et l’importance de l’invalidité dont souffre l’appelant, le cas échéant, depuis mars 2011. Les documents non contestés figurant au dossier permettent toutefois de formuler certaines observations concernant la prétendue violation de la condition légale 1, en vue d’accélérer, peut-on espérer, le règlement sur le fond du différend. B.
Question (2) – La légalité de l’annulation de la police par la TD [30] Dans son exposé de la défense, la TD soutient qu’elle était fondée à annuler la police en raison de la prétendue violation par l’appelant de la condition légale 1. Je ne reconnais pas le bien-fondé de cette prétention, pour les motifs que je vais exposer. [31] Les neuf conditions légales énoncées au par. 230(2) de la Loi sont réputées faire
partie intégrante de tout contrat d’assurance, exception faite de l’assurance tombant sous le coup des articles 255, 256 ou 257 (« Assurance- accident limitée », y compris le
chapitre B). Cette exception s’applique à moins de disposition contractuelle contraire. Il est prévu en introduction, sous la rubrique « Conditions légales » de la police, que les conditions légales 1 (« Modification essentielle du risque »), 8 (« Résiliation ») et 9 (« Avis ») s’appliquent au
chapitre B à
titre de conditions contractuelles. [32] La
partie VII de la Loi , qui porte sur l’assurance automobile, n’autorise pas un assureur à annuler un contrat d’assurance automobile. Cela fait contraste avec d’autres parties de la Loi , qui prévoient expressément qu’une police est nulle ou annulable par l’assureur dans certaines circonstances définies (voir
partie IV « Assurance-incendie », par. 127(2);
partie V
« Assurance sur la vie », par. 139(1);
partie VI « Assurance-accidents et maladie », par. 200(1); et
partie VIII « Assurance contre lamortalité du bétail », par. 271(1)). [33] La condition légale 4 de la
partie IV (Assurance-incendie) est d’intérêt particulier, puisqu’elleprévoit que tout changement essentiel pour l’appréciation du risque sur lequel l’assuré à un contrôle ou dont il a connaissance « est unecause de nullité du contrat pour la
partie ainsi touchée », à moins qu’avis de ce changement ne soit promptement donné à l’assureur. Lesmots cités ne figurent pas dans la condition légale 1 applicable à l’assurance automobile. Ainsi, il n’est pas possible d’annuler la policepour violation de la condition légale 1. [34] À mon avis, lorsque l’assuré viole une disposition du contrat d’assurance, l’assureur peutuniquement mettre un terme au contrat en le résiliant conformément à la condition légale 8. Dans son arrêt Merino c. ING InsuranceCompany of Canada, 2019 ONCA 326, [2019] O.J.
No. 2128 (QL), la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario a souligné que le régime législatifontarien en matière d’assurance, comparable à bien des égards au régime établi par la Loi, [TRADUCTION] « prescri[vait] comment unassureur peut mettre fin aux obligations découlant d’un contrat qu’il a souscrit », et que l’assureur ne pouvait pas, en common law,résilier unilatéralement un contrat d’assurance automobile (par. 7).
Comme le régime ontarien, le régime établi par la Loi interditl’annulation unilatérale par l’assureur d’une police d’assurance automobile et ne lui offre comme recours, en cas de violation d’unedisposition de la police, que la résiliation prospective de la police conformément à la condition légale 8. [35] En choisissant de l’annuler, la TD a violé la police, plus particulièrement la condition légale 8.La TD n’ayant pas mis fin licitement à la police, celle-ci a continué d’être en vigueur jusqu’à l’expiration de la garantie, le 21 mars 2008,et toute obligation de la TD de verser des indemnités pour perte de revenu au
titre du
chapitre B, le cas échéant, est demeurée entièredepuis lors. C. Questions (3) et (4) – L’application du par. 7c) [36] Quoique la question de l’application du délai de prescription prévu au par. 7c) ne se rapportepas, stricto jure, à une allégation de rupture de contrat formulée dans l’exposé de la demande, elle y est étroitement liée. De plus, laquestion de la prescription a été débattue à fond en première instance et devant notre Cour.
J’estime conforme à l’intérêt de la justice quenous nous prononcions sur la décision de la juge saisie de la motion sur ce point. [37] Dans l’avis d’appel additionnel, modifié sur autorisation de la Cour, l’appelant soutient que lajuge saisie de la motion [TRADUCTION] « a omis erronément d’effectuer […] une analyse appropriée, fondée sur l’objet visé, des […]principes de common law qu’elle était tenue de prendre en compte ».
La juge aurait aussi commis une erreur, ajoute l’appelant, en netenant pas compte du fait que [TRADUCTION] « la résiliation rétroactive [par la TD] […] constituait […] une répudiation » de lapolice. À l’audience, la formation a évoqué la doctrine de la répudiation anticipative, une doctrine de la common law, et les parties onteu l’occasion de préciser leurs vues sur le sujet. Avec égards, j’estime que la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur de droit enomettant de prendre en compte et d’appliquer cette doctrine. [38] La répudiation anticipative en est une par laquelle une
partie communique à l’autre sonintention de ne pas s’acquitter d’une obligation contractuelle qui n’a pas encore pris naissance (voir G.H.L. Fridman, The Law of Contract in Canada, 6e éd. (Toronto, Carswell, 2011), p. 585). La prétendue annulation de la police par TD, en fin 2007 / début 2008,constituait une répudiation anticipative de ses obligations contractuelles de paiement des indemnités en cause, soit des indemnités visantla perte de revenu pour la période du 30 mars 2011 au 30 avril 2012 et par la suite. [39] À la suite de la répudiation anticipative par la TD de ses obligations de paiement d’indemnitésau
titre du
chapitre B, deux choix s’offraient à l’appelant : (1) il pouvait, sur le fondement de la répudiation, poursuivre la TDimmédiatement en dommages-intérêts, ou (2) il pouvait considérer la police toujours en vigueur et insister pour que la TD se conforme àses obligations découlant du
chapitre B, puis attendre simplement de voir si la TD finirait par refuser d’exécuter ces obligationslorsqu’elles deviendraient exigibles (voir Brown c. Belleville (City), 2013 ONCA 148, [2013] O.J. No. 1071 (QL), par. 44). Jusqu’à ceque l’appelant ait [TRADUCTION] « accepté » la violation de la TD, aucune cause d’action n’a pris naissance (voir Ali c. O-TwoMedical Technologies Inc., 2013 ONCA 733, [2013] O.J. No. 5547 (QL), par. 26, et Hurst c. Hancock, 2019 ONCA 483, [2019] O.J.No. 3045 (QL), par. 19).
L’appelant ayant fait le deuxième choix, la cause d’action en recouvrement de chaque indemnité pour perte derevenu en cause a pris naissance lorsque l’indemnité est devenue exigible et que l’appelant a [TRADUCTION] « accepté » la violationde la TD, ce qu’il a fait en introduisant l’action sous-jacente. Sur ce point, je suis essentiellement d’accord avec les vues exprimées par le juge P.S. Creaghan dans la décision LeBlanc c. Zurich Insurance Co. (2000), (NB KB), 231 R.N.-B. (2e) 112,[2000] A.N.-B. n° 441 (C.B.R.) (QL) :
[TRADUCTION] Toutefois, la question juridique soulevée par la présente motion est de savoir si le délai de prescription avance progressivement demanière à courir pendant 1