2012 NBCA 61, 2012 NBCA 61
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 176-11-CA HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF THEPROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, as representedby Board of Management on behalf of theDepartment of Justice APPELLANT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DU CHEF DE LAPROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK,représentée par le Conseil de gestion au nom duministère de la Justice APPELANTE - and - - et - CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES,LOCAL 1418 RESPONDENT SYNDICAT CANADIEN DE LA FONCTIONPUBLIQUE,
SECTION LOCALE 1418 INTIMÉ Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province ofNew Brunswick, as represented by Board ofManagement on behalf of the Department of Justicev. CUPE, Local 1418, 2012 NBCA 61 Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province duNouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Conseil degestion au nom du ministère de la Justice c.
SCFP,section locale 1418, 2012 NBCA 61 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Robertson The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : L’honorable juge Robertson L’honorable juge Quigg L’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: December 2, 2011 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: Le 2 décembre 2011 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2011 NBQB 338 Décision frappée d’appel : 2011 NBQB 338 , 2011 NBBR 338 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: May 17, 2012 Appel entendu : Le 17 mai 2012
Judgment rendered: July 12, 2012 Jugement rendu : Le 12 juillet 2012 Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Keith Mullin For the respondent: Glen Gallant Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Keith Mullin Pour l’intimé : Glen Gallant THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500. LA COUR Rejette l’appel avec dépens de 2 500 $.
The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT [ 1 ] This is the second of two administrative law appeals that focus on whether the seniority and bumping provisions of a collective agreement conflict with terms of employment prescribed by the Civil Service Act , S.N.B. 1984, c. C- 5.1. If there is a conflict, the Act prevails because of s. 63(2) of the Public Service Labour Relations Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P-25.
Applying the reasoning adopted in an earlier arbitral decision, the adjudicator concluded there was no conflict and allowed the union grievance alleging non-compliance with the provisions of the collective agreement. The application for judicial review was dismissed in a decision now reported as 2011 NBQB 338 . [ 2 ] The earlier arbitral decision, which the adjudicator in the present case applied, was also subjected to an application for judicial review: PNB v. Pinder et al ., 2011 NBQB 310 , [2011] N.B.J. No. 417 (QL). That application was dismissed as was the subsequent appeal to this Court.
As the issues raised in the two appeals are the same, we would dismiss the present appeal, with costs of $2,500, for the same reasons as provided in Pinder . ____________________________________ J.T. ROBERTSON, J.A. _____________________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A.
______________________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A.