r v. Johnston, 2019 NBCA 39
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK PAUL WAYNE MEYER APPELLANT 38-18-CA PAUL WAYNE MEYER APPELANT - and - - et - ELIZABETH ANN JOHNSTON RESPONDENT ELIZABETH ANN JOHNSTON INTIMÉE Meyer v. Johnston, 2019 NBCA 39 Meyer c.
Johnston, 2019 NBCA 39 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LaVigne CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: March 20, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 20 mars 2018 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 57 , 2018 NBQB 057 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBQB 57 , 2018 NBBR 057 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: January 16, 2019 Judgment rendered: May 16, 2019 Appel entendu : le 16 janvier 2019 Jugement rendu : le 16 mai 2019 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LaVigne Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Elizabeth M. McGrath For the respondent: James K. O’Connell, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : L’honorable juge Quigg L’honorable juge LaVigne Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Elizabeth M. McGrath Pour l’intimée : James K. O’Connell, c.r.
THE COURT The appeal is allowed with costs of $1,500. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli avec dépens de 1 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A.
I. Introduction [ 1 ] This appeal concerns the constitutional validity of s. 112(3) of the Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2 (“ Act ”), which requires an unmarried spouse to file his or her application for spousal support within one year of the date of separation, while no such time limit exists for a married spouse. [ 2 ] The respondent argues s. 112(3) of the Act violates s. 15(1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and that it cannot be saved under s. 1 . A judge agreed.
The appellant, on the other hand, submits there is no evidence that s. 112(3) violates s. 15(1) of the Charter , and, alternatively, should this Court agree there is a violation, the judge did not conduct the required analyses under ss. 1 and 15(1) and the appeal should be allowed. II. Background [ 3 ] Mr. Meyer and Ms. Johnston started cohabiting in March 2006, and continued to live together until October 2015. No children were born of their relationship. Both had acquired real and personal property throughout their working careers. At the onset of their cohabitation, both parties were in their 50s. Ms.
Johnston’s evidence was that she moved into Mr. Meyer’s home, assisted with the care of Mr. Meyer’s then fifteen-year-old child, and did extensive work to upgrade his property in preparation for its ultimate sale. Ms. Johnston sold her home in 2009, the Meyer home also sold, and together they purchased a home in Fredericton, both executing a mortgage for this purpose. Ms. Johnston continues to reside in that home, and she wishes to keep it. They disagree to what extent they were financially independent of each other. [ 4 ] Mr. Meyer states Ms. Johnston asked him to leave their home in October 2015.
Following his departure, attempts were made to settle their financial issues; however, it is unclear for how long or to what extent. Mr. Meyer removed the balance of his personal belongings from the home in April 2016. On September 21, 2017, Ms. Johnston filed an application in which she advanced claims for spousal support and a division of property based on the common law principles of resulting trust, constructive trust and unjust enrichment. On December 7, 2017, she filed an amended application.
The original and amended applications were filed 23 months and 25 months, respectively, after the alleged date of separation. In reply, Mr. Meyer raised s. 112(3) of the Act as a complete defence to the claim for spousal support, on the basis the claim was filed beyond the one year prescribed in s. 112 (3) of the Act . In an amended motion, Ms. Johnston requested an order for interim spousal support and she raised the issue of the constitutional validity of s. 112(3) .
She asserted: [t]he one year limitation period from the date of separation for the Applicant to claim support found in subsection 112(3) of the Family Services Act , supra, violates subsection 15(1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms in that it is discriminatory as it differentiates common-law spouses on the basis of marital status and perpetuates the prejudice experienced by common-law spouses based on the unfounded stereotype that common-law relationships are less permanent and are less deserving [than] those in married relationships.
The violation of subsection 15(1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does not meet the justification standard under
section 1 of the Charter because the deleterious effect of the limitation period imposed on common-law spouses is not proportional to the objectives of the Act . [Underlining in original.] [ 5 ] The constitutional issue was determined first. The other aspects of the motion have yet to be heard. Notice was served on the respective Attorneys General as required ( s. 22(3) , Judicature Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2 ). Although served, neither appeared, nor did they file submissions. The motion judge based his decision on the affidavits filed by the parties and their oral submissions.
He concluded: a. subsection 112(3) of the Family Services Ac t, SNB 1980, c.
F-2.2 violates s. 15(1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms because it imposes a limitation period on applications for spousal support for common-law spouses which it does not impose on married spouses; b. the limitation period imposed by s. 112(3) of the Family Services Act is discriminatory because it differentiates common-law spouses on the basis of marital status, and perpetuates the prejudice experienced by common-law spouses based on the unfounded stereotypes that common-law relationships are less permanent and less deserving of support than those in married relationships; and c. the violation of s. 15(1) of the Charter does not meet the justification standard under s. 1 of the Charter because the deleterious
effects of the limitation period imposed only on common-law spouses is not proportional to the objectives of the Act. [6] To ground these conclusions, the judge relied on the New Brunswick Court of Queen’s Bench decision inGrover v. MacIntosh, (NB KB), 2001 NBQB 107, 241 N.B.R. (2d) 94, which held that s. 112(3) of the FamilyServices Act violates s. 15(1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and that such violation is not saved under s. 1. III. Legislative Provision Under Challenge [7]
Section 112 of the Act reads: Support obligations of spouse, father andpersons who have lived together 112(1) Every spouse has an obligation toprovide support for himself or herself and forthe other spouse, in accordance with need, tothe extent that he or she is capable of doing so. […] 112(3) Two persons, not being married toeach other, who have lived together (
a) continuously for a period of not less thanthree years in a family relationship in whichone person has been substantially dependentupon the other for support, or (
b) in a family relationship of somepermanence where there is a child born ofwhom they are the natural parents, and have lived together in that relationshipwithin the preceding year, have the sameobligation as that set out in subsection (1). Obligations de soutien qui incombe à unconjoint, à un père et aux personnes quiont vécu ensemble 112(1) Tout conjoint est tenu de pourvoir àson propre soutien et à celui de l’autreconjoint, selon les besoins et dans la mesureoù il en est capable. […] 112(3) L’obligation énoncée au paragraphe(1) s’applique aussi à deux personnes, nonmariées l’une à l’autre, qui ont vécu ensemble
a) continuellement pendant au moins trois ansdans une relation familiale où l’une a étésubstantiellement dépendante de l’autre pourson soutien, ou
b) dans une relation familiale, de façon assezcontinuelle, lorsqu’il y a eu naissance d’unenfant dont elles sont les parents naturels, et qui ont ainsi vécu ensemble au cours del’année précédente. IV. Grounds of Appeal [8] Mr. Meyer advances eight grounds of appeal. They can be condensed into three grounds. First, Mr. Meyersubmits that, because the judge’s analysis was primarily limited to a discussion of the reasons in Grover it was too narrow and the
reasons were therefore deficient. He contends the motion judge erred because there was no meaningful analysis under either ss. 1 or15(1) of the Charter, and as a result, the correct test was not applied because the judge failed to follow the analytical framework forequality analyses set out by the Supreme Court in Quebec (Attorney General) v. A, 2013 SCC 5, [2013] 1 S.C.R. 61. [9] In the alternative, Mr.
Meyer submits that, if this Court were to uphold the judge’s limited analysis under s.15(1), the motion judge was still required to conduct an analysis under s. 1 to determine whether s. 112(3) of the Act could be saved.Instead, the judge relied on the limited analysis in Grover to ground his decision under s. 1. The framework for a s. 1 analysis wasestablished in R. v. Oakes, (SCC), [1986] 1 S.C.R. 103, [1986] S.C.J. No. 7 (QL), known as the “Oakes Test,” mostrecently applied in Frank v. Canada (Attorney General), 2019 SCC 1, [2019] S.C.J. No. 1 (QL). [10] Finally, Mr.
Meyer argues the judge’s failure to consider the respective financial statements, which he statesbolster his argument that he and Ms. Johnston intended to live separate lives, constituted an error in fact. This ground can be summarilydismissed because it is immaterial to this appeal. V. Standard of Review [11] The first issue is whether the motion judge conducted the proper analysis under s. 15(1). The second issue iswhether, or not, having found a breach of s. 15(1), the motion judge conducted the proper analysis under s. 1. Both issues are questionsof law which are reviewable on the correctness standard.
In Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, at paras. 8 and 33,the Supreme Court explains the legal test, which is that “less deference is required, consistent with a ‘correctness’ standard of review”,when there has been an incorrect application of a legal principle by a lower court. VI. Analysis A. Was there sufficient evidence to enable the motion judge to carry out an analysis under s. 15(1)? Did the motion judge err whenhe concluded s. 112 (3) violates s. 15(1)?
Can this Court conduct the appropriate analysis? [12] The template for an equality analysis under s. 15(1) was first set out by the Supreme Court in Andrews v. LawSociety of British Columbia, (SCC), [1989] 1 S.C.R. 143, [1989] S.C.J. No. 6 (QL), where McIntyre J. concludes s. 15(1)does not protect a right to identical treatment; rather, it protects every person’s equal right to be free from discrimination (p. 164). In Lawv. Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration), (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 497, [1999] S.C.J. No. 12 (QL); and R.v.
Kapp, 2008 SCC 41, [2008] 2 S.C.R. 483, the Supreme Court stated there are two questions to be answered: 1) does the law draw adistinction between the claimant and others on an enumerated or analogous ground? and 2) is the distinction discriminatory in a mannerthat creates disadvantage by perpetuating prejudice and stereotyping of the affected group? The Supreme Court has consistently identifiedthese questions as critical to the analysis under s. 15(1) (see Kapp, at paras. 15-17; Withler v.
Canada (Attorney General), 2011 SCC 12,[2011] 1 S.C.R. 396, at para. 30; and Quebec (Attorney General), at paras. 324 and 418). The Supreme Court’s refinement of its equalityanalysis is evident in succeeding decisions where a substantive equality analysis has emerged. [13] Ms. Johnston asserts s. 112(3) is discriminatory as it “differentiates on the basis of marital status.” The issue ofthe presence or absence of a distinction based on a particular characteristic was settled by the Supreme Court in 2011.
The claimant inWithler asserted age discrimination under s. 15(1) because supplemental death benefits for designated beneficiaries of Canadian Forcespersonnel were reduced by 10% per year following a prescribed age. In upholding the dismissal of the claims, the Supreme Courtcautioned that a “mirror image” approach can be too formalistic. It concluded a distinction based on an enumerated ground is not, byitself, sufficient to ground a violation under s. 15(1). The substantive equality analysis rejects the mere presence or absence of adifference in status as proof of differential treatment.
In the second step of the analysis, the Supreme Court states the focus shifts to areview of the negative effects of the legislation, in consideration of the social, political, economic and historical treatment of the affectedgroup. To emphasize this point, McLachlin C.J. and Abella J. in Withler write: […] Equality is not about sameness and s. 15(1) does not protect a right to identical treatment. Rather, it protects every person's equalright to be free from discrimination. […]
[…] Substantive equality, unlike formal equality, rejects the mere presence or absence of difference as an answer to differential treatment. It insists on going behind the facade of similarities and differences. It asks not only what characteristics the different treatment is predicated upon, but also whether those characteristics are relevant considerations under the circumstances. The focus of the inquiry is on the actual impact of the impugned law, taking full account of social, political, economic and historical factors concerning the group.
The result may be to reveal differential treatment as discriminatory because of prejudicial impact or negative stereotyping. Or it may reveal that differential treatment is required in order to ameliorate the actual situation of the claimant group. [paras. 31 and 39] [ 14 ] The respondent refers to R. v. Nguyen , 2015 ONCA 278 , [2015] O.J. No. 2098 (QL) ; and R. v. Legge , 2014 ABCA 213 , [2014] A.J. No. 636 (QL) . With respect, these decisions are distinguishable .
In Nguyen , the court concluded the common law rule that married spouses are incompetent to testify against each other violated s. 15(1) but was saved by s. 1. Gillesse J.A. writes at para. 91 that the spousal incompetency rule created a distinction based on marital status and denied unmarried spouses protections offered to married spouses. She concludes the denial of legal protections imposed an arbitrary disadvantage on unmarried spouses solely because of their membership in a group. In Legge , the question was the compellability of unmarried spouses to testify against their partners.
Paperny J.A. acknowledges that not all distinctions based on marital status would be declared discriminatory, but laws that on their face exclude unmarried spouses to the favour of married spouses are inconsistent with the equality guarantees enshrined in the Charter (para. 34). In both cases, it was the denial of a right or a protection to unmarried spouses that was considered offensive under s. 15(1) . [ 15 ] As noted, the framework for evaluating potential violations of s. 15(1) was restated in Quebec (Attorney General) and recently affirmed in Centrale des Syndicats du Quebec v.
Quebec (Attorney General) , 2018 SCC 18 , [2018] 1 S.C.R. 522 . The substantive equality analysis requires a court to answer two questions: […]
(1) Does the law create a distinction based on an enumerated or analogous ground? and
(2) Does the distinction create a discriminatory disadvantage by, among other things, perpetuating prejudice or stereotyping? […]. [para. 117] [ 16 ] In Quebec (Attorney General) , the majority concluded that unmarried spouses in Quebec were disadvantaged economically due to the fact they were prohibited from pursuing claims for spousal support, a distinction that does not exist in New Brunswick. Abella J., writing for the plurality on the s. 15(1) analysis, agreed there was a violation of s. 15 on that basis.
She concluded that prejudice and stereotyping are but two indications of whether, or not, there is a discriminatory impact on the claimant. She stated the analysis should also identify the negative effects the legislation has on the disadvantaged claimant (para. 327). The lack of economic protections for unmarried spouses was at the crux of Abella J.’s analysis in Quebec (Attorney General) . She accepted that the exclusion of unmarried spouses from the right to pursue claims for spousal support constituted a clear perpetuation of economic disadvantage.
She viewed this historic exclusion as a perpetuation of economic vulnerability which deprived unmarried spouses access to economic remedies the “National Assembly considered indispensable for the protection of married civil union spouses” (para. 349). This is a powerful conclusion. In that case, however, the majority concluded the legislation was saved under s. 1. [ 17 ] In this case, on the second step of the test, the motion judge was required to provide reasons to support his conclusion that s. 112(3) of the Act creates a disadvantage for unmarried spouses in New Brunswick.
This is not necessarily a self-evident presumption as some might argue. As McLachlin C.J. and Abella J. write in Withler , the “treat likes alike” approach to equality analyses is too formalistic. In this case, the judge focused on the perceived lack of respect and human dignity element, a factor which the Supreme Court explained in Kapp is an “underlying objective of the whole Charter , not a discrete and additional component of the equality test that the claimant had the burden of proving” (para. 329 of Quebec (Attorney General) ).
In Kapp , the Supreme Court observes that: […] human dignity is an abstract and subjective notion that, even with the guidance of the four contextual factors, cannot only become confusing and difficult to apply; it has also proven to be an additional burden on equality claimants […]. [para. 22] [ 18 ] In Kapp , both McLachlin, C.J. and Abella J. acknowledged there had been confusion created by the use of human dignity as a legal test set out in Law . Following Kapp , the Supreme Court has distanced itself from the Law test.
In Withler , McLaughlin C.J. and Abella J. clarified what was meant by the “perpetuation of prejudice and stereotyping.” This same opinion was expressed by Abella J. in Quebec (Attorney General) . She concluded that prejudice and stereotyping should be considered within the context of the negative effects the impugned legislation has on the claimant and the affected group, as indicators, not as a discriminatory attitude. [ 19 ] In this case, Mr. Meyer argues because the judge erroneously anchored his decision on Grover , he did not
conduct a “fulsome” equality analysis in accordance with Kapp, Withler and Quebec (Attorney General). However, I observe there wasno evidence of the social, political, economic and historic factors which would have permitted the judge to perform this critical secondstep of the analysis. On several occasions the motion judge expressed frustration with the lack of evidence. He wrote: In the present matter, I have no evidence upon which to divine what might be the purpose of the exclusionary time limit. The Record onthis point is silent. I do have the able argument of counsel for Mr.
Meyer that, in fact, there is an intentional variance and balancing ofinterests and remedies available to married and unmarried persons. By way of another example of this distinction identified by Mr.Meyer’s counsel, the Marital Property Act sets out a timeline within which claims for a division of property must be made by marriedspouses yet it does not appear that claims of a similar nature by common-law spouses, which are not legislatively based, are time limitedin the same way. […] Of particular note are Quebec v. A., 2013 SCC 5, and Nova Scotia (Attorney General) v. Walsh, 2002 SCC 83 , [2002] 4 S.C.R.325.
In both cases the principle of 'choice' in the regime a couple may wish to cast their relationship, either married or common law, wasdiscussed. Different regimes may result in different responsibilities upon the breakdown of the relationship. These distinctions may beconsidered as being in the contemplation of persons at the time they enter the relationship. Essentially, persons accept to be bound by therules attached to the form of relationship they chose- but, of course, those rules must be Charter compliant. It is not clear from theevidence in the present Record that either Mr. Meyer or Ms.
Johnston specifically turned their mind to the legal distinctions that existbetween married and common-law spouses - particularly as it pertains to the one year time limit. Perhaps it is not even necessary to havedone so. However, it might have been helpful (although arguably not necessary), from an evidentiary perspective, if either or both partieshad deposed to having considered the legal consequences of their choice. [paras. 11 and 18] [20] In Nova Scotia (Attorney General) v.
Walsh, 2002 SCC 83, [2002] 4 S.C.R. 325, the Supreme Court was askedto decide whether the failure, under Nova Scotia’s marital property legislation, to grant unmarried spouses the same rights as marriedspouses to pursue an equal division of property constituted a violation of s. 15(1). It concluded, on the basis of freedom of choice amongpersons in conjugal relationships, there was no violation. Walsh has not been applied the same way since.
In Quebec (Attorney General),the Supreme Court states that the factors of choice and personal autonomy to enter conjugal relationships, as opposed to marriage, aremore properly considered under legislative purpose, a function of the analysis under s. 1 of the Charter. The judge’s reliance on Walsh assupport for the proposition that choice is a factor to be considered under s. 15(1) was incorrect. [21] I turn now to the judge’s reference to Dunsmuir v. New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9, [2008] 1 S.C.R. 190. Hedeclined both Ms. Johnston’s and Mr. Meyer’s requests that he conduct a s. 1 analysis.
Deferring to the analysis in Grover, he observedthat, since the decision was not challenged, it “[…] can, therefore, be considered as the state of the law on this issue since that time”(para. 15).
He decided that, “to embark upon a fresh analysis [would] be somewhat akin to the need to perform a standard of reviewanalysis in matters of administrative law” (para. 16), referring to the decision in Dunsmuir as authority for the “practice” of a reviewingcourt to be “relieved of the necessity to complete a standard of review analysis if prior jurisprudence has already determined the questionin a satisfactory manner” (para. 16). With respect, by deferring to Grover, a decision rendered in 2001, the judge erred in law. He wasrequired to conduct a full substantive equality analysis, as noted.
If he found an infringement under s. 15(1), he was then required toconduct the analysis under s. 1. The failure to do this analysis, in my view, constitutes reversible error. I would point out there was verylittle, if any, evidence before him which would have permitted him to conduct the analysis. The mere assertion of discrimination is notenough; otherwise, as the judge stated, the court is left to “divine” the basis upon which there has been a constitutional breach. [22] Can this Court conduct the analysis? The Supreme Court in Miron v. Trudel, (SCC), [1995] 2SCR 418, [1995] S.C.J.
No. 44 (QL), Walsh, and Quebec (Attorney General), settled the question whether marital status is an analogousground. The first step under s. 15(1) is therefore met. As stated, step two requires a consideration of the effects the legislation has on theaffected group. In Kapp and Withler the Supreme Court moved to a flexible and contextual inquiry into whether a distinction has theeffect of perpetuating arbitrary disadvantage on the claimant because of his or her membership in an enumerated or analogous group.
AsWithler makes clear, the contextual factors will vary from case to case – there is no “rigid template” (Quebec (Attorney General) at para.331). The Supreme Court consistently concludes that “the concept of equality does not necessarily mean identical treatment and that theformal ‘like treatment’ model of discrimination may in fact produce inequality” (Kapp at para. 15). In fact, this Court has recognized thepurposeful legislative distinction between married and unmarried spouses in New Brunswick. In Noel v.
Butler, 2016 NBCA 49, 452N.B.R. (2d), Green J.A. writes at para. 20 that a “common law” relationship is not precisely the same as a marriage. [23] In this case, Ms. Johnston’s affidavit is silent as to how, or on what basis, the legislation prejudices, stereotypesor creates disadvantage. As noted, in the second step of the analysis, a court considers the disadvantage to the affected group. The basisof the claims as they relate to the actual needs, capacities and circumstances of the claimant, the effect the legislation has on thedisadvantaged group, and the nature and scope of the interests at stake are examined.
There must be evidence of a correlation betweenthe alleged discrimination and the negative effects the legislation has on the affected group. None of the above are evident from thematerials filed by Ms. Johnston. Her affidavit, sworn September 19, 2017, is two-and-one-half pages in length. It briefly chronicles the
history of the personal and financial relationship between her and Mr. Meyer, but it is silent as to how, or on what basis, she assertsprejudice, stereotyping or historic disadvantage. Thus, there are no facts, supported by evidence, to ground the claim. There is no proofof the deleterious effects of the “limitation period imposed only on common law spouses,” and that the effects are not “proportionate tothe objectives of the Act,” as was laid out in the constitutional question. [24] Ms.
Johnston submits that “unmarried spouses have historically been treated with less ‘dignity, regard, andrespect by the law’, and have suffered adverse consequences of the law as compared to married spouses”; however, it was Ms. Johnston’sburden to provide proof to support those allegations. Had she been successful on the second step of the test under s. 15, the analysiswould then have shifted to Mr. Meyer to establish why the violation was a minimal impairment or limit, and whether it could be savedunder s. 1, applying a proportionality test. [25] Because Ms.
Johnston’s affidavit does not contain the above information, this Court cannot undertake ananalysis under the second step of the s. 15(1) test (see Kapp; Withler; and Quebec (Attorney General)). [26] Although Ms. Johnston submitted there can be no viable social policy reason for s. 112(3), there was noevidence to support this contention. In Laronde v. WHSCC and Attorney General of New Brunswick, 2007 NBCA 10, 312 N.B.R. (2d)173, the Court states that to stray into public policy at the s. 15(1) stage is an error.
Robertson J.A., applying Law, writes: […] Several commentators have pointed out that any analysis that focuses on legislative purpose and effect is apt to stray into theanalysis that is required when assessing whether a discriminatory provision is saved under s. 1 of the Charter.
Recall that in order for thegovernment to justify a discriminatory provision, it must show under s. 1 that the provision is pursuing an objective that is sufficientlyimportant to justify limiting a Charter right (pressing and substantial) and that it does so in a manner that: (1) is rationally connected tothat objective, (2) impairs that right no more than is reasonably necessary to accomplish that objective; and (3) does not have adisproportionately severe effect on the persons to whom it applies (see R. v. Oakes, (SCC), [1986] 1 S.C.R. 103, [1986]S.C.J.
No. 7, at pp. 138-39). [para. 14] [27] When the judge concluded, at the s. 15(1) stage of his analysis, there can be no social policy reason behind thelimitation period imposed in s. 112(3), he conflated the two analyses. The framework set out in Oakes requires a court to measure theeffects of the limitation against the objectives of the legislation in a proportionate way.
Legislative provisions which might arguablycreate distinctions between analogous groups can still be declared unimpeachable as part of a “truly policy-based legislative function”;therefore, there must be some evidence to establish whether the legislative objectives can be saved, or whether those objectives areoffensively disproportionate. While one might question why this Act distinguishes between married and unmarried spouses, this factalone, without more, is insufficient to ground the analysis. As the Supreme Court stated in Quebec (Attorney General), an equalityanalysis is substantive, and it is contextual.
Even if I were persuaded to uphold the motion judge’s analysis under s. 15(1), I am not ableto conduct the analysis under s. 1 for the same reasons. [28] In this case, the motion judge’s failure to conduct a full s. 15(1) analysis as well as his failure to perform a s. 1analysis constitute reversible errors. In simple terms, given the paucity of evidence in the Record, it was not realistic to expect that hecould. For the same reasons, this Court is not able to conduct the required analysis. I would allow the appeal on this basis. The movingparty had an onus of proof.
She did not produce the evidence before the court and the motion on the constitutional question should havebeen dismissed. The balance of the motion is referred for determination by the motion judge. VII. Disposition [29] In his Notice of Appeal and the appellant’s submission, the appellant sought an order that the decision of themotion judge, specifically, that the one-year limitation period set out in s. 112(3), is discriminatory contrary to s. 15(1) of the Charter, bereversed, and the appellant seeks direction and clarification from the Court regarding s. 112(3) of the Family Services Act.
As can beseen, the appellant did not request a dismissal of the application for spousal support as being time barred by s. 112(3) of the Act. In thesereasons we have provided the direction as requested by the appellant. I would allow the appeal in this case for the reasons stated. I wouldorder costs in the amount of $1,500.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par La juge Baird I. Introduction [1] Le présent appel soulève la question de la constitutionnalité du par. 112(3) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2 (la Loi ), lequel exige qu’un conjoint non marié dépose sa demande de prestation alimentaire matrimoniale dans l’année qui suit la date de la séparation, alors qu’aucun délai semblable ne s’applique dans le cas d’un conjoint marié. [2] L’intimée affirme que le par. 112(3) de la Loi contrevient au par. 15(1) de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés et qu’il ne saurait être justifié au regard de l’article premier. Un juge était du même avis.
L’appelant, quant à lui, soutient qu’aucune preuve ne tend à établir que le par. 112(3) contrevient au par. 15(1) de la Charte ; il soutient subsidiairement que, si notre Cour reconnaît qu’il y a violation, le juge n’a pas procédé aux analyses que requièrent l’article premier et le par. 15(1) et l’appel doit être accueilli. II. Contexte [3] M. Meyer et M me Johnston ont commencé à cohabiter en mars 2006 et ont continué à vivre ensemble jusqu’en octobre 2015. Aucun enfant n’est né de leur union. Ils avaient tous deux fait l’acquisition de biens réels et personnels tout au long de leur carrière professionnelle.
Les deux parties étaient dans la cinquantaine au début de leur cohabitation. Selon le témoignage de M me Johnston, elle a emménagé dans la maison de M. Meyer, aidé à prendre soin de l’enfant de M. Meyer qui était alors âgé de quinze ans et travaillé énormément pour apporter des améliorations au bien de M. Meyer en prévision de sa vente ultime. M me Johnston a vendu sa maison en 2009, la maison de M. Meyer a aussi été vendue, et ils ont acheté ensemble une maison à Fredericton et ont tous deux souscrit une hypothèque dans le but de cet achat. M me Johnston continue d’habiter cette maison et souhaite la conserver.
Ils ne sont pas d’accord sur l’étendue de l’autonomie financière de chacun. [4] M. Meyer affirme que M me Johnston lui a demandé de quitter leur maison en octobre 2015. Après le départ de M. Meyer, ils ont fait certaines tentatives afin de régler leurs problèmes financiers; toutefois, la durée et l’étendue de ces tentatives sont incertaines. M. Meyer a retiré le reste de ses effets personnels de la maison en avril 2016 .
Le 21 septembre 2017, M me Johnston a déposé une requête dans laquelle elle a formulé une demande de prestation alimentaire matrimoniale et de partage des biens fondée sur les principes de common law en matière de fiducie résultoire, de fiducie constructoire et d’enrichissement injustifié. Le 7 décembre 2017 , elle a déposé une requête modifiée. La requête initiale et la requête modifiée ont été respectivement déposées vingt- trois mois et vingt-cinq mois après la date présumée de la séparation. En réponse aux requêtes, M.
Meyer a invoqué le par. 112(3) de la Loi comme défense complète contre la demande de prestation alimentaire matrimoniale, au motif que la demande a été déposée après l’expiration du délai d’un an prescrit au par. 112(3) de la Loi . Dans une motion modifiée, M me Johnston a sollicité une ordonnance alimentaire interlocutoire à son profit et soulevé la question de la constitutionnalité du par. 112(3). Elle a affirmé ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] [l]e délai de prescription d’un an à compter de la date de la séparation – dans lequel la requérante pouvait demander des aliments – énoncé au par. 112(3) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , précitée, contrevient au par. 15(1) de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés en ce qu’il est discriminatoire puisqu’il prévoit un traitement différent des conjoints de fait fondé sur l’état matrimonial et qu’il perpétue le préjugé dont sont victimes les conjoints de fait en raison du stéréotype injustifié selon lequel les unions de fait sont moins permanentes et moins louables [que] les mariages.
La violation du par. 15(1) de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés n’atteint pas la norme de justification applicable en vertu de l’article premier de la Charte parce que l’effet préjudiciable du délai de prescription imposé aux conjoints de fait n’est pas proportionnel aux objectifs de la Loi . [Souligné dans l’original.] [5] La question constitutionnelle a été tranchée en premier lieu. Les autres questions soulevées par la motion n’ont pas encore été entendues. L’avis qui devait être signifié à chacun des procureurs généraux l’a été (par. 22(3) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J-2). Bien qu’ils en aient reçu signification, ils n’ont pas comparu et n’ont pas non plus déposé un mémoire. Le juge saisi de la motion a fondé sa décision sur les affidavits que les parties ont déposés et sur les observations qu’elles ont faites oralement. Il a tiré les conclusions suivantes :
a. le paragraphe 112(3) de la Loi contrevient au par. 15(1) de la Charte parce qu’il impose un délai de prescription pour laprésentation par les conjoints de fait d’une demande de prestation alimentaire matrimoniale, ce qu’il n’impose pas aux conjoints mariés; b. le délai de prescription imposé par le par. 112(3) de la Loi est discriminatoire parce qu’il prévoit un traitement différent desconjoints de fait fondé sur l’état matrimonial, et qu’il perpétue le préjugé dont sont victimes les conjoints de fait en raison de stéréotypesinjustifiés selon lesquels les unions de fait sont moins permanentes et les conjoints de fait méritent moins d’obtenir un soutien que lesconjoints mariés; c. la violation du par. 15(1) de la Charte n’atteint pas la norme de justification applicable en vertu de l’article premier de la Charteparce que les effets préjudiciables du délai de prescription qui n’est imposé qu’aux conjoints de fait ne sont pas proportionnels auxobjectifs de la Loi[.] [6] Pour tirer ces conclusions, le juge s’est fondé sur Grover c.
MacIntosh, (NB KB), 2001 NBBR 107, 241 R.N.-B. (2e) 94, décision dans laquelle la Cour du Banc de la Reine du Nouveau-Brunswick a concluque le par. 112(3) de la Loi contrevient au par. 15(1) de la Charte et que cette violation n’est pas justifiée au regard de l’article premier. III. Disposition législative contestée [7] Voici le libellé de l’art. 112 de la Loi :
Support obligations of spouse, father andpersons who have lived together 112(1) Every spouse has an obligation toprovide support for himself or herself and forthe other spouse, in accordance with need, tothe extent that he or she is capable of doing so. […] 112(3) Two persons, not being married toeach other, who have lived together (
a) continuously for a period of not less thanthree years in a family relationship in whichone person has been substantially dependentupon the other for support, or (
b) in a family relationship of somepermanence where there is a child born ofwhom they are the natural parents, and have lived together in that relationshipwithin the preceding year, have the sameobligation as that set out in subsection (1). Obligations de soutien qui incombe à unconjoint, à un père et aux personnes quiont vécu ensemble 112(1) Tout conjoint est tenu de pourvoir àson propre soutien et à celui de l’autreconjoint, selon les besoins et dans la mesureoù il en est capable. […] 112(3) L’obligation énoncée auparagraphe (1) s’applique aussi à deuxpersonnes, non mariées l’une à l’autre, quiont vécu ensemble
a) continuellement pendant au moins trois ansdans une relation familiale où l’une a étésubstantiellement dépendante de l’autre pourson soutien, ou
b) dans une relation familiale, de façon assezcontinuelle, lorsqu’il y a eu naissance d’unenfant dont elles sont les parents naturels, et qui ont ainsi vécu ensemble au cours del’année précédente. IV. Moyens d’appel [8] M. Meyer soulève huit moyens d’appel. On peut les résumer à trois. D’abord, M. Meyersoutient que l’analyse menée par le juge n’ayant surtout consisté qu’en un examen des motifs rendus dans Grover, elle était troprestreinte et les motifs rendus étaient donc insuffisants.
Il maintient que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur parce qu’aucuneanalyse approfondie n’a été menée au regard de l’article premier et du par. 15(1) de la Charte et que le bon critère n’a donc pas étéappliqué en raison du défaut du juge d’adopter le cadre d’analyse applicable aux analyses relatives à l’égalité énoncé par la Coursuprême dans Québec (Procureur général) c. A, 2013 CSC 5, [2013] 1 R.C.S. 61. [9] De façon subsidiaire, M.
Meyer soutient que, dans l’éventualité où notre Cour confirmel’analyse de portée limitée menée au regard du par. 15(1) par le juge saisi de la motion, ce dernier était tout de même tenu de procéder àune analyse au regard de l’article premier pour déterminer si le par. 112(3) de la Loi pouvait être justifié. Le juge s’est plutôt fié àl’analyse de portée limitée menée dans le jugement Grover pour justifier sa décision relative à l’article premier. Le cadre applicable àl’analyse fondée sur l’article premier, connu sous le nom de « critère de l’arrêt Oakes », a été établi dans R. c.
Oakes, (SCC), [1986] 1 R.C.S. 103, [1986] A.C.S. no 7 (QL), et appliqué le plus récemment dans Frank c. Canada (Procureur général), 2019 CSC 1, [2019] A.C.S. no 1 (QL).
[10] Finalement, M. Meyer soutient que l’omission commise par le juge de tenir compte des états financiers respectifs, qui, à ses dires, étayent sa thèse selon laquelle Mme Johnston et lui avaient l’intention de vivre séparément,constitue une erreur de fait. Ce moyen peut être
sommairement rejeté parce que sans importance pour le présent appel. V. Norme de contrôle [11] La première question à trancher est de savoir si le juge saisi de la motion a procédé à la bonneanalyse au regard du par. 15(1). La seconde est de savoir si le juge a procédé à la bonne analyse fondée sur l’article premier après avoirconclu que le par. 15(1) avait été enfreint. Ces deux questions sont des questions de droit susceptibles de révision selon la norme de ladécision correcte. Dans Housen c.
Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, la Cour suprême explique, aux par. 8 et 33, le critèrejuridique à appliquer, selon lequel « une retenue moins élevée s’impose, conformément à la norme de la décision “correcte” » lorsqu’untribunal inférieur a appliqué incorrectement un principe juridique. VI. Analyse A. Existait-il une preuve suffisante pour permettre au juge saisi de la motion de procéder à une analyse au regard du par. 15(1)? Lejuge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que le par. 112(3) contrevient au par. 15(1)?
Notre Cour peut-elleprocéder à l’analyse appropriée? [12] Le modèle à adopter pour procéder à une analyse relative à l’égalité a été énoncé pour lapremière fois par la Cour suprême dans Andrews c. Law Society of British Columbia, (SCC), [1989] 1 R.C.S. 143, [1989] A.C.S. no 6 (QL), où le juge McIntyre conclut que le par. 15(1) ne garantit pas le droit à un traitement identique; il garantit plutôt àchacun le droit d’être protégé contre toute discrimination (p. 164). Dans Law c. Canada (Ministre de l’Emploi et de l’Immigration), (SCC), [1999] 1 R.C.S. 497, [1999] A.C.S. no 12 (QL), et R. c.
Kapp, 2008 CSC 41, [2008] 2 R.C.S. 483, la Cour suprême aaffirmé qu’il faut répondre à deux questions : 1) Le droit crée-t-il une distinction entre le demandeur et les autres qui est fondée sur unmotif énuméré ou analogue? 2) La distinction est-elle discriminatoire de façon à créer un désavantage par la perpétuation d’un préjugé etl’application de stéréotypes à l’égard du groupe touché? La Cour suprême a toujours jugé que ces questions sont des éléments cruciauxde l’analyse fondée sur le par. 15(1) (voir l’arrêt Kapp, aux par. 15 à 17; Withler c.
Canada (Procureur général), 2011 CSC 12, [2011] 1R.C.S. 396, au par. 30; et Québec (Procureur général), aux par. 324 et 418). L’amélioration par la Cour suprême de son analyse relativeà l’égalité est évidente dans certaines décisions subséquentes dans lesquelles on a vu naître une analyse de l’égalité réelle. [13] Mme Johnston affirme que le par. 112(3) est discriminatoire puisqu’il [TRADUCTION] « créeune distinction fondée sur l’état civil ». La question de l’existence ou de l’inexistence d’une distinction fondée sur une caractéristiqueparticulière a été réglée par la Cour suprême en 2011.
Dans l’affaire Withler, le demandeur prétendait être victime de discriminationfondée sur l’âge au sens du par. 15(1) parce que sa prestation supplémentaire de décès au profit des bénéficiaires désignés du personneldes Forces armées canadiennes était réduite de dix pour cent chaque année après qu’il eut atteint l’âge prescrit. En confirmant le rejet desdemandes, la Cour suprême a averti qu’une démarche analytique fondée sur [TRADUCTION] « des caractéristiques identiques » peutêtre trop formaliste.
Elle a conclu qu’une distinction fondée sur un motif énuméré ne suffit pas à elle seule pour établir une violation dupar. 15(1). L’analyse de l’égalité réelle rejette l’acceptation de la simple présence ou absence d’une différence entre états comme preuvede l’existence d’une différence de traitement. La Cour suprême affirme qu’on s’attarde au second volet de l’analyse à l’examen des effetsnégatifs du texte de loi, en tenant compte du traitement social, politique, économique et historique du groupe touché.
Pour insister sur cepoint, la juge en chef McLachlin et la juge Abella écrivent ce qui suit dans l’arrêt Withler : […] L’égalité n’est pas une question de similitude, et le par. 15(1) ne garantit pas le droit à un traitement identique. Il garantit plutôt àchacun le droit d’être protégé contre toute discrimination. […] […] L’égalité réelle, contrairement à l’égalité formelle, n’admet pas la simple différence ou absence de différence comme justificationd’un traitement différent. Elle transcende les similitudes et distinctions apparentes.
Elle demande qu’on détermine non seulement surquelles caractéristiques est fondé le traitement différent, mais également si ces caractéristiques sont pertinentes dans les circonstances.L’analyse est centrée sur l’effet réel de la mesure législative contestée, compte tenu de l’ensemble des facteurs sociaux, politiques,économiques et historiques inhérents au groupe.
Cette analyse peut démontrer qu’un traitement différent est discriminatoire en raison deson effet préjudiciable ou de l’application d’un stéréotype négatif ou, au contraire, qu’il est nécessaire pour améliorer la situationvéritable du groupe de demandeurs.
[Par. 31 et 39] [14] L’intimée renvoie à R. c. Nguyen , 2015 ONCA 278 , [2015] O.J. No. 2098 (QL) , et à R. c. Legge , 2014 ABCA 213 , [2014] A.J. No. 636 (QL) . En toute déférence, j’estime que ces décisions peuvent être écartées. Dans l’arrêt Nguyen, on a conclu que la règle de common law selon laquelle les conjoints mariés sont inhabiles à témoigner l’un contre l’autre contrevenait au par. 15(1) , mais qu’elle était justifiée au regard de l’article premier.
Au paragraphe 91, la juge d’appel Gillesse écrit que la règle de l’inhabilité du conjoint à témoigner créait une distinction fondée sur l’état civil et privait les conjoints non mariés de protections accordées aux conjoints mariés. Elle conclut en affirmant que l’absence de protection juridique imposait un désavantage arbitraire aux conjoints non mariés du simple fait de leur appartenance à un groupe. Dans l’arrêt Legge , la question à trancher portait sur la contraignabilité des conjoints non mariés à témoigner contre leur partenaire.
La juge d’appel Paperny reconnaît que les distinctions fondées sur l’état civil ne seraient pas toutes déclarées discriminatoires, mais les lois qui excluent à première vue les conjoints non mariés en faveur des conjoints mariés sont incompatibles avec les garanties d’égalité consacrées dans la Charte (par. 34).
Dans ces deux affaires, c’était le refus de reconnaître un droit ou une protection aux conjoints non mariés qu’on a jugé contraire au par. 15(1) . [15] Comme je l’ai mentionné, le cadre pour l’évaluation de violations possibles du par. 15(1) a été reformulé dans l’arrêt Québec (Procureur général) et récemment confirmé dans Centrale des syndicats du Québec c. Québec (Procureure générale) , 2018 CSC 18 , [2018] 1 R.C.S. 522 .
L’analyse de l’égalité réelle exige d’un tribunal qu’il réponde aux questions suivantes : […] (1) la loi crée-t-elle une distinction fondée sur un motif énuméré ou analogue et (2) cette distinction crée-t-elle un désavantage discriminatoire, notamment par la perpétuation d’un préjugé ou l’application de stéréotypes? […]. [Par. 117] [16] Dans l’arrêt Québec (Procureur général) , la majorité des juges conclut que les conjoints non mariés du Québec étaient financièrement défavorisés parce qu’il leur était interdit de demander une prestation alimentaire matrimoniale, distinction qui n’existe pas au Nouveau-Brunswick.
S’exprimant au nom d’une pluralité de juges sur la question de l’analyse à mener en vertu du par. 15(1), la juge Abella a reconnu que l’art. 15 était enfreint pour cette raison. Elle a conclu que les préjugés et les stéréotypes ne sont que deux indices de la présence ou de l’absence d’un effet discriminatoire sur le demandeur. Elle affirme que l’analyse doit aussi préciser l’incidence négative que le texte de loi a sur le demandeur désavantagé (par. 327).
L’analyse menée par la juge Abella dans l’arrêt Québec (Procureur général) se concentrait sur l’absence de protections de nature financière pour les conjoints non mariés. Elle a reconnu que de priver les conjoints non mariés du droit de demander une prestation alimentaire matrimoniale perpétuait de manière évidente le désavantage financier.
Elle a jugé que cette exclusion de longue date perpétue la vulnérabilité financière qui a nié aux conjoints non mariés l’accès à des mesures de soutien financier « que l’Assemblée nationale a jugé indispensables pour protéger les conjoints mariés ou unis civilement » (par. 349). Il s’agit d’une conclusion forte.
Dans cet arrêt, la majorité a toutefois conclu que le texte de loi était justifié au regard de l’article premier. [17] En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion était tenu, au second volet de l’analyse, de motiver sa conclusion selon laquelle le par. 112(3) de la Loi crée un désavantage pour les conjoints non mariés du Nouveau-Brunswick. Cette conclusion ne coule pas nécessairement de source, contrairement à ce que certains pourraient prétendre.
Comme l’écrivent la juge en chef McLachlin et la juge Abella dans l’arrêt Withler , l’approche du « traitement analogue » à l’analyse relative à l’égalité est trop formaliste. En l’espèce, le juge s’est concentré sur l’élément de l’absence de respect et de dignité humaine, facteur au sujet duquel la Cour suprême a précisé, dans l’arrêt Kapp , que c’est un « objectif fondamental de l’ensemble de la Charte , et non un élément additionnel distinct devant être prouvé par le demandeur dans le cadre de l’analyse relative à l’égalité » (par. 329 de l’arrêt Québec (Procureur général) ).
Dans l’arrêt Kapp , la Cour suprême a fait l’observation suivante : […] la dignité humaine est une notion abstraite et subjective qui non seulement peut être déroutante et difficile à appliquer même avec l’aide des quatre facteurs contextuels, mais encore s’est avérée un fardeau additionnel pour les parties qui revendiquent le droit à l’égalité […]. [Par. 22] [18] Dans l’arrêt Kapp , la juge en chef McLachlin et la juge Abella ont toutes deux reconnu qu’une certaine confusion est née du traitement de la dignité humaine en tant que critère juridique énoncé dans l’arrêt Law .
Depuis l’arrêt Kapp , la Cour suprême s’est distanciée du critère fondé sur l’arrêt Law . Dans l’arrêt Withler , la juge en chef McLaughlin et la juge Abella ont précisé le sens donné à l’expression « la perpétuation d’un préjugé ou l’application de stéréotypes ». La juge Abella a exprimé la même opinion dans l’arrêt Québec (Procureur général) .
Elle a conclu qu’il faut examiner les préjugés et les stéréotypes, dans le contexte des effets négatifs du texte de loi contesté sur le demandeur et le groupe touché, comme indices et non comme attitude discriminatoire. [19] En l’espèce, M me Johnston soutient que le juge, ayant fondé à tort sa décision sur le
jugement Grover, n’a pas procédé à l’analyse [TRADUCTION] « complète » relative à l’égalité que requièrent les arrêts Kapp, Withleret Québec (Procureur général). Je fais toutefois remarquer qu’il n’y avait aucune preuve afférente aux facteurs sociaux, politiques,économiques et historiques pour permettre au juge de procéder à ce second volet crucial de l’analyse. Le juge saisi de la motion aexprimé plusieurs fois son mécontentement face à l’absence de preuve.
Il a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]Aucune preuve ne m’aide à discerner, en l’espèce, quel pourrait être l’objet de l’exclusion par le délai de prescription. Rien n’a été verséau dossier sur ce point. Je dispose de la prétention valable de l’avocate de M. Meyer selon laquelle il existe, de fait, des différencesintentionnelles entre les intérêts et les recours des personnes mariées et ceux des personnes non mariées, et une mise en balanceintentionnelle de ces intérêts et de ces recours. L’avocate de M. Meyer a relevé, comme autre exemple de pareille distinction, le délaiprévu dans la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux pour la présentation d’une demande de répartition des biens par un conjoint marié – eneffet, les demandes de nature similaire présentées par des conjoints de fait, non fondées sur un texte législatif, ne semblent pas soumisesà un délai semblable. […] Il convient de souligner les arrêts Québec (Procureur général) c. A., 2013 CSC 5, et Nouvelle-Écosse (Procureur général) c. Walsh,2002 SCC 83 , [2002] 4 R.C.S. 325. Dans les deux arrêts, on a traité du principe du « choix » par les conjoints – mariés ou defait – du régime qu’ils veulent voir encadrer leur relation.
Différents régimes peuvent entraîner différentes responsabilités en cas d’échecde la relation. On peut considérer que les intéressés envisagent ces distinctions lorsqu’ils s’engagent dans la relation. Essentiellement, lesintéressés acceptent d’être liés par les règles applicables à la forme d’union choisie – toutefois, bien sûr, ces règles doivent être conformes à la Charte. Il ne ressort pas clairement de la preuve au dossier si soit M.
Meyer soit Mme Johnston a porté précisément sonattention sur les distinctions juridiques établies entre les conjoints mariés et les conjoints de fait – particulièrement en lien avec le délaide prescription d’un an. Peut-être même cela n’avait-il rien de nécessaire. Toutefois, cela aurait peut-être été utile (quoique sans doutenon nécessaire), sur le plan de la preuve, si les parties, ou l’une d’elles, avaient affirmé avoir envisagé les conséquences de leur choix.[Par. 11 et 18] [20] Dans Nouvelle-Écosse (Procureur général) c.
Walsh, 2002 CSC 83, [2002] 4 R.C.S. 325, laCour suprême était appelée à trancher si le défaut de la loi en matière de biens matrimoniaux en vigueur en Nouvelle-Écosse de conféreraux conjoints non mariés le même droit que les conjoints mariés de demander le partage égal des biens contrevenait au par. 15(1). LaCour suprême a conclu à l’absence de violation sur le fondement de la liberté de choix qu’ont les personnes vivant en union conjugale.L’arrêt Walsh n’a pas toujours été appliqué de la même manière depuis qu’il a été rendu.
Dans l’arrêt Québec (Procureur général), laCour suprême affirme que les facteurs du choix et de l’autonomie personnelle de s’engager dans une relation conjugale, plutôt que dansun mariage, doivent plutôt être considérés sous l’angle de l’objet de la loi, qui fait
partie de l’analyse fondée sur l’article premier de laCharte. Le juge a invoqué à tort l’arrêt Walsh pour étayer la thèse selon laquelle le choix est un facteur à considérer au regard dupar. 15(1). [21] Je passe maintenant à l’examen de la mention, par le juge, de Dunsmuir c. Nouveau-Brunswick, 2008 CSC 9, [2008] 1 R.C.S. 190. Il a refusé d’accéder aux demandes tant de Mme Johnston que de M. Meyer le priant de se livrer à uneanalyse au regard de l’article premier.
En s’en remettant à l’analyse menée dans le jugement Grover, il a fait remarquer que, vu que ladécision n’a pas été contestée, [TRADUCTION] « on peut donc la considérer comme constituer, depuis, l’état du droit sur laquestion » (par. 15).
Il a déterminé que [TRADUCTION] « la demande d’une nouvelle analyse [serait assimilable], d’une certainemanière, à la nécessité de procéder ou non à une analyse relative à la norme de contrôle dans les affaires [ressortissant au] droitadministratif » (par. 16) et a invoqué l’arrêt Dunsmuir comme confirmation qu’[TRADUCTION] « il est admis » que les cours derévision [TRADUCTION] « sont dispensées de l’obligation d’effectuer une analyse relative à la norme de contrôle si la jurisprudences’est déjà prononcée de manière satisfaisante sur la question » (par. 16).
En toute déférence, j’estime que le juge a commis une erreur dedroit en se fiant à Grover, décision rendue en 2001. Il était tenu de procéder à une analyse complète de l’égalité réelle, comme il étémentionné. S’il jugeait qu’il y avait eu atteinte au par. 15(1), il était ensuite tenu de procéder à l’analyse fondée sur l’article premier. Àmon avis, le défaut de procéder à cette analyse constitue une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision. Je ferai remarquer qu’on ne luiavait présenté que très peu d’éléments de preuve, s’il en était, qui lui auraient permis de procéder à cette analyse.
Il ne suffit d’affirmerqu’il y a discrimination; autrement, ainsi que le juge l’a affirmé, le tribunal est obligé de [TRADUCTION] « discerner » pourquoi il y aeu violation constitutionnelle. [22] Notre Cour peut-elle procéder à l’analyse? Dans les arrêts Miron c. Trudel, (SCC), [1995] 2 R.C.S. 418, [1995] A.C.S. no 44 (QL), Walsh et Québec (Procureur général), la Cour suprême a réglé la question desavoir si l’état civil constitue un motif analogue. Le premier volet de l’analyse fondée sur le par. 15(1) est donc satisfait. Comme je l’aiaffirmé, le second volet exige qu’on examine les effets du texte de
loi sur le groupe touché. Dans les arrêts Kapp et Withler, la Coursuprême est passée à une analyse souple et contextuelle visant à déterminer si la distinction a pour effet de perpétuer un désavantagearbitraire à l’égard du demandeur, du fait de son appartenance à un groupe énuméré ou analogue. Comme l’indique clairementl’arrêt Withler, les facteurs contextuels varient dans chaque cas – il n’existe pas de « modèle rigide » (Québec (Procureur général)). LaCour suprême a toujours conclu que « l’égalité ne signifie pas nécessairement traitement identique et que le modèle formel du
“traitement analogue” peut en fait engendrer des inégalités » (Kapp, au par. 15). En fait, notre Cour a reconnu la distinctionintentionnellement établie dans la loi entre conjoints mariés et non mariés au Nouveau-Brunswick. Le juge d’appel Green écrit, au par. 20 de Noel c. Butler, 2016 NBCA 49, 452 R.N.-B. (2e), qu’une union « de fait » n’est pas précisément la même chose qu’un mariage. [23] En l’espèce, l’affidavit de Mme Johnston ne dit pas en quoi, ni pour quelle raison, la loi perpétueun préjugé, applique des stéréotypes ou crée un désavantage.
Comme je l’ai mentionné, au second volet de l’analyse, le tribunal examinele désavantage créé pour le groupe touché. Il doit évaluer le fondement des demandes en ce qui concerne les besoins, les capacités et lasituation véritables du demandeur, l’effet du texte de
loi sur le groupe désavantagé et la nature et la portée des intérêts en jeu. Il doitexister une preuve de l’existence d’un lien entre la prétendue discrimination et les effets négatifs du texte de
loi sur le groupe touché. Rien de ce qui précède n’est évident dans la documentation déposée par Mme Johnston. Elle a souscrit un affidavit de deux pages etdemie le 19 septembre 2017. Elle y décrit brièvement les antécédents de sa relation personnelle et financière avec M. Meyer, mais ellen’y dit pas du tout en quoi, ni sur quel fondement, elle prétend avoir été victime de préjugés, de stéréotypes ou d’un désavantage delongue date. Ainsi, aucun fait, étayé par un élément de preuve, ne fonde la demande.
Il n’existe aucune preuve des effets préjudiciablesdu [TRADUCTION] « délai de prescription qui n’est imposé qu’aux conjoints de fait » et des effets [TRADUCTION] « qui ne sont pasproportionnels aux objectifs de la Loi, » ainsi qu’il a été exposé dans la question constitutionnelle. [24] Mme Johnston soutient que [TRADUCTION] « les conjoints non mariés ont traditionnellementété traités avec moins [TRADUCTION] ‘d’intérêt, de respect et de considération’ que les conjoints mariés, et [qu’]ils ont subi certainesconséquences négatives de l’application du droit comparativement à ces derniers »; toutefois, il lui incombait de présenter une preuvepour étayer ces prétentions.
Si elle avait franchi avec succès le second volet du critère applicable pour les besoins de l’art. 15, M.
Meyeraurait ensuite été tenu d’établir pourquoi la violation constituait une atteinte ou une limite minimale, et si l’on peut la justifier au regardde l’article premier en appliquant un critère de proportionnalité. [25] Parce que les renseignements précédents sont absents de l’affidavit de Mme Johnston, notreCour ne peut pas procéder à une analyse au regard du second volet du critère applicable pour les besoins du par. 15(1) (voir lesarrêts Kapp, Withler et Québec (Procureur général)). [26] Bien que Mme Johnston ait soutenu qu’aucune raison viable liée à la politique sociale ne justifiele par. 112(3), aucune preuve n’étayait cette affirmation.
Dans Laronde c. La CSSIAT et le Procureur général du Nouveau-Brunswick et autres, 2007 NBCA 10, 312 R.N.-B. (2e) 173, la Cour affirme que de glisser dans la politique publique à l’étape du par. 15(1) constitueune erreur. En appliquant l’arrêt Law, le juge d’appel Robertson a écrit ce qui suit : […] Plusieurs commentateurs ont souligné que toute analyse centrée sur l’objet et l’effet de la disposition législative est susceptible des’écarter de son but et d’être englobée dans l’analyse qui est requise aux fins d’évaluer si une disposition discriminatoire est justifiée auregard de l’article premier de la Charte.
On se rappellera que, pour justifier une disposition discriminatoire, le gouvernement doit établir,sous le régime de l’article premier, que celle-ci vise un objectif qui est suffisamment important pour justifier la limitation d’un droitgaranti par la Charte (préoccupations urgentes et réelles) et qu’elle le fait d’une manière qui : 1) a un lien rationnel avec l’objectif enquestion, 2) ne porte atteinte à ce droit que dans la mesure raisonnablement nécessaire pour atteindre cet objectif, et 3) n’a pas, sur lespersonnes auxquelles elle s’applique, un effet préjudiciable dont la gravité est disproportionnée par rapport à l’objectif visé (voir R. c.
Oakes, (SCC), [1986] 1 R.C.S. 103, [1986] A.C.S. no 7, aux pages 138 et 139). [Par. 14] [27] Le juge a confondu les deux analyses lorsqu’il a conclu, au second volet de son analyse fondéesur le par. 15(1), qu’aucune raison liée à la politique sociale ne peut justifier le délai de prescription imposé au par. 112(3). Le cadreénoncé dans l’arrêt Oakes exige d’un tribunal qu’il soupèse proportionnellement les effets du délai et les objectifs de la loi.
Lesdispositions législatives qui, pourrait-on le prétendre, créent des distinctions entre des groupes analogues peuvent tout de même êtredéclarées irréprochables dans le cadre d’une [TRADUCTION] « action législative réellement fondée sur la politique publique »; parconséquent, il doit exister une preuve quelconque tendant à établir si les objectifs législatifs peuvent être justifiés, ou si ces objectifs sontdisproportionnés de manière attentatoire.
Bien que l’on puisse se demander pourquoi la Loi établit une distinction entre conjoints mariéset non mariés, le simple fait qu’elle le fasse, sans plus, ne peut servir de fondement suffisant à l’analyse. Comme la Cour suprême l’aaffirmé dans l’arrêt Québec (Procureur général), l’analyse relative à l’égalité est substantielle et contextuelle.
Même si j’étaisconvaincue de confirmer l’analyse fondée sur le par. 15(1) menée par le juge saisi de la motion, je ne suis pas en mesure de procéder àl’analyse au regard de l’article premier pour les mêmes raisons. [28] En l’espèce, le défaut du juge saisi de la motion de procéder à une analyse complète au regarddu par. 15(1) ainsi que son défaut de procéder à une analyse fondée sur l’article premier constituent des erreurs justifiant l’infirmation desa décision. En termes simples, vu le manque d’éléments de preuve versés au dossier, il n’était pas réaliste de s’attendre à ce qu’il puissey procéder.
Pour les mêmes motifs, notre Cour n’est pas en mesure de procéder à l’analyse qui s’impose. Je suis d’avis d’accueillirl’appel pour cette raison. L’auteure de la motion avait un fardeau de preuve. Elle n’a pas présenté la preuve au tribunal et il convenait de
rejeter la motion portant sur la question constitutionnelle. Les autres éléments de la motion sont renvoyés au juge qui était saisi de celle- ci pour qu’il les tranche. VII. Dispositif [29] Dans son avis d’appel et son mémoire, l’appelant sollicite une ordonnance infirmant la décision du juge saisi de la motion, c’est-à-dire la décision déclarant que le délai de prescription énoncé au par. 112(3) est discriminatoire et contraire au par. 15(1) de la Charte , et il sollicite une directive et des précisions de la Cour au sujet du par. 112(3) de la Loi .
Comme on peut le constater, l’appelant n’a pas sollicité le rejet de la requête dans laquelle était sollicitée la prestation alimentaire matrimoniale en alléguant sa prescription par application du par. 112(3) de la Loi . Dans les présents motifs, nous avons donné une directive, tel que le demandait l’appelant. Je suis d’avis d’accueillir le présent appel pour les motifs énoncés. J’accorderais des dépens de 1 500 $.