2016 NBCA 35, 2016 NBCA 35
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 3-15-CA ALGO ENTERPRISES LTD. APPELLANT ALGO ENTERPRISES LTD. APPELANTE - and - - et - REPAP NEW BRUNSWICK INC. RESPONDENT REPAP NEW BRUNSWICK INC. INTIMÉE Algo Enterprises Ltd. v. Repap New BrunswickInc., 2016 NBCA 35 Algo Enterprises Ltd. c.
Repap New BrunswickInc., 2016 NBCA 35 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: December 15, 2014 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de laReine : le 15 décembre 2014 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2014 NBQB 265 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2014 NBQB 265 , 2014 NBBR 265 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: November 10, 2015 Appel entendu : le 10 novembre 2015
Judgment rendered: July 21, 2016 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green Jugement rendu : le 21 juillet 2016 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Rodney J. Gillis, Q.C. For the respondent: Clarence L. Bennett THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $3,000. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Rodney J. Gillis, c.r. Pour l’intimée : Clarence L.
Bennett LA COUR L’appelante est déboutée et condamnée à des dépens de 3 000 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] For in excess of 15 years, Algo Enterprises Ltd., NBP Enterprises Inc. or their principal in his personal capacity, cut, processed and delivered wood for Repap New Brunswick Inc. (or Repap’s predecessors) pursuant to “Logging Agreements” that were written each year in relation to a single cutting season.
The season would typically run from September to March. [ 2 ] In March 2001, as Algo was completing its work under the Logging Agreement for the 2000-2001 season, the last written agreement between the parties (the “Contract”), Repap advised Algo it was no longer needed as a contractor.
Algo completed its work under the Contract and was paid for this work but its efforts to discover the reasons for Repap’s decision were unsuccessful and Algo did not work for Repap again. [ 3 ] In 2007, Algo and NBP issued a Statement of Claim which, following an amendment after the commencement of trial in 2013, alleges that “ in terminating the contract for the 2001-2002 season without written notice and without reason”, Repap “failed to meet the requirements of good faith performance” of the Contract. There was no separate or distinct written (or
oral) agreement entered into expressly for the 2001-2002 cutting season. The Plaintiff’s position at trial was that a contract for the 2001- 2002 season resulted from the continuation of the Contract, pursuant to an automatic renewal provision, clause 16(a), which provides: This agreement shall become effective on September 15, 2000 and shall remain in full force and effect until March 31, 2001 and shall continue from year to year by mutual agreement of both parties . [Emphasis added.] [ 4 ] The 2013 amendment to the Statement of Claim was significant.
It abandoned the plaintiff’s claim that Repap, “ in refusing to renew the contract for the 2001-2002 season without written notice and without reason […] failed to meet the requirements of good faith performance of the contractual provisions” and instead, advanced the claim that Repap, “ in terminating the contract for the 2001-2002 season […] failed to meet the requirements of good faith performance of the contractual provisions”.
Key to the amended claim is the allegation that the Contract automatically renewed for the 2001-2002 season and was wrongfully terminated. [ 5 ] Algo claims entitlement to damages for the five year period following, what it alleges, was the wrongful termination of the Contract. [ 6 ] In defending Algo’s claim, Repap maintains the Contract was for a term certain, expiring on March 31, 2001, as were all prior Logging Agreements. It denies the Contract automatically renews, pursuant to clause 16(
a) or otherwise. Repap points out that each year a new Logging Agreement was entered into and each agreement was unique in terms of type, size and amount of wood to be harvested, the block of land on which the wood was to be cut, the time and place for delivery of the wood and the price to be paid for delivering the cut wood to the specified location. Repap submits the Contract ended and quite simply, it notified Algo that it did not intend to enter into another Logging Agreement with Algo. [ 7 ] The trial judge did not accept Algo’s submission that clause 16(
a) operated to automatically renew or continue the Contract on a year-to-year basis, without the further agreement of both parties. He concluded the disputed portion of clause 16(a), which reads “and shall continue from year to year by the mutual agreement of both parties”, amounted to an unenforceable “agreement to agree”. As a result, the trial judge rejected Algo’s submission that Repap terminated an existing contract and he dismissed its claim with costs. [ 8 ] Algo appeals the dismissal of its claim against Repap. NBP has not appealed.
Its claim was dismissed for having been brought beyond the six-year limitation for doing so. For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss the appeal. II. Background [ 9 ] The background, and part of the “surrounding circumstances/factual matrix” against which clause 16(
a) was interpreted, is summarized by the trial judge in the decision and is not disputed by the parties. His
summary is a reproduction of the
summary he included in an earlier decision rendered in connection with Algo’s motion to amend its Statement of Claim. The motion was heard following the first day of trial and after Algo presented viva voce evidence of its principal, Brian Donovan. The motion to amend was allowed and I will address it further below. The undisputed
summary, contained in both decisions, is as follows: […] The Plaintiffs are related companies that at one time were involved in the forestry industry in New Brunswick. The Defendant Company [Repap New Brunswick Inc.] and its successor through amalgamation, UPM-Kymmene Miramichi, Inc., were at one time owners of, inter alia , a ground wood mill, pulp and paper mill and saw mill in the Miramichi region of New Brunswick. As such, the Defendant was the holder of major licences for timber cutting on ‘Crown lands’, some 2.5 million acres of woodland.
The President and controlling principal of both Plaintiff companies is Brian Donovan. Mr. Donovan, in his personal capacity, began a logging operation business in the early 1980’s. More particularly, he became one of a number of contractors who harvested and transported wood from the Defendant’s Crown licences (or their freehold land) for the Defendant’s predecessors. This work was done under written contracts (“Logging Agreements”) made each year for a specified period in that year (“Contract Season”). Around 1990 Mr.
Donovan “rolled over” this business into the Plaintiff Algo Enterprises Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as “Algo”). Algo continued as a contractor for the Defendant, except for one year. The exception was 1999, when the “Logging Agreement” for that
“contract season” was entered into with NBP Enterprises Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as “NBP”), a company also owned and controlled by Mr. Donovan. The evidence from Mr. Donovan ... is that this change was made at the request of the Defendant because of “unionization” issues which had arisen. Those issues abated and the next year Algo resumed as contractor. The evidence ... is also that in March 2001 Mr. Donovan was cryptically advised over the telephone by the Defendant’s Woodlands Operations Superintendent that “we no longer need you as a contractor”. Mr.
Donovan testified that he made unsuccessful attempts to find out why the Defendant took this position. Mr. Donovan confirmed that the work for the 2000-2001 “contract season” (ending March 31, 2001) was completed by Algo and paid for by the Defendant. But, Algo (or NBP) never after acted as a woods contractor for the Defendant. Mr. Donovan testified that the Plaintiff companies tried to mitigate their losses.
However, because of their then size and because of the debt load on equipment and the years of virtually exclusive reliance on the woods contracting work provided by the Defendant and its predecessors, they could not continue to operate.
A chartered accountant, using a five year bench mark, has put the damages to the Plaintiff companies as “a going concern” (assuming the damages are connected to any breach alleged) at $1,136,385.00 for Algo and $403,461.00 for NBP. [...] As mentioned, these contracts for the cutting and transportation of wood are entitled “Logging Agreements” and cover a particular “contract season” that have both a start and end date. The last Logging Agreement between the Plaintiff Algo and the Defendant was for the “2000-2001 Contract Season”.
It was executed on behalf of Algo on July 5, 2000 and on behalf of the Defendant on July 6, 2000. At the outset it states: “THIS AGREEMENT made in quadruplet this 15th day of September, 2000”. It also states, inter alia , that: The Contractor agrees to cut, process, and deliver during the period between September 15, 2000 and March 31, 2001 all merchandise products of such quantity as the Company may designate from assigned operating areas on crown licences 3 & 4 and on company freehold.
The Agreement goes on to address the type, amount and size of wood to be harvested; the quality of the wood required; the specific areas (“blocks”) of land from which the wood was to be cut; the time and place of delivery of the wood; the contract price and payments; along with a myriad of terms and conditions, many related to the manner in which the work was to be performed. Of particular relevance to this Motion (and to the Action) is the following clause: Duration (
a) This Agreement shall become effective on September 15, 2000 and shall remain in full force and effect until March 31, 2001 and shall continue from year to year by mutual agreement of both parties. (
b) The Company retains the right to terminate the agreement for any cause upon a written three (3) day notice to ALGO ENTERPRISES LIMITED. Except for the first agreement made with Mr. Donovan in his personal capacity in the early 1980s, this duration clause is found in all the Logging Agreements since that have been entered before the Court.
It appears that the only difference in that clause from Agreement to Agreement is the start and end dates in sub-paragraph (a). [para . 16] [ 10 ] The principal issue to be determined by the trial judge flowed directly from the amendment made to the Statement of Claim following the first day of trial.
Allowed over the objection of Repap, and as noted above, the amendment resulted in Algo abandoning its initial claim that Repap had “ in refusing to renew the contract for the 2001-2002 season without written notice and without reason […] failed to meet the requirements of good faith performance of the contractual provisions” and instead, advancing the claim that Repap “ in terminating the contract […] failed to meet the requirements of good faith performance of the contractual provisions”.
[ 11 ] As the trial judge explained, the “distinction is actually critical to the plaintiff’s case” and Algo sought to “distance” itself from the legal challenges of establishing the existence of a good faith obligation to renew the Contract (or negotiate a new contract) for the 2001-2002 season. [ 12 ] The amendment to the Statement of Claim also abandoned Algo’s original claim for a “declaration that clause 16(
a) of the Logging Agreements is vague and should be struck for uncertainty”. It appears Algo’s initial claim, alleging a refusal to renew the Contract, did not rely on clause 16(
a) as a covenant to negotiate or give rise to a renewed agreement. [ 13 ] There is little doubt contractual covenants to renew, negotiate or enter into a contract are challenging to enforce. As the trial judge noted (in his decision on Algo’s motion to amend), this Court has stated “the law does not recognize a pre-contractual duty to bargain in good faith” ( Doucet and Dauphinee v. Spielo Manufacturing Incorporated and Manship , 2011 NBCA 44 , 372 NBR (2d) 1 at para. 35 , Robertson J.A. on behalf of the Court).
However, more applicable to the circumstances of this case, and as also noted by the trial judge, distinct from the notion of pre-contract negotiations, are issues of enforceability relating to contractual obligations to renew, negotiate or enter into a contract. These issues are very much dependent upon the terms of the contractual provision in question. The scope of the provision in this case, clause 16(a), was quite limited indeed.
In any event, a claim based on an agreement to negotiate a renewal in good faith was abandoned. [ 14 ] Returning to the result of the amendment, Algo’s claim is that the Contract automatically renewed in accordance with its terms and it was wrongfully terminated by Repap without notice or reason, contrary to the good faith obligation to perform the Contract. [ 15 ] Following the amendment in May 2013, the trial continued in November 2014. In the end, the only witness called by Algo was Mr. Donovan.
Repap did not call any witnesses. [ 16 ] Responding to the recently amended Statement of Claim, the trial judge set out the question to be decided. His conclusion was that Repap had “simply refused to enter” into a new contract. He stated the following: The foremost question, then, is whether the defendant terminated an existing contract or simply refused to enter upon another contract for the next logging season? I have concluded that as a matter of contractual
interpretation it is the latter. These are my reasons. [para. 21] Having concluded the Contract did not renew and that Repap had merely refused to entertain entering into a new agreement, the trial judge dismissed Algo’s claim. III. Issues [ 17 ] The Notice of Appeal makes the following allegations of error on the part of the trial judge: 1. in first interpreting the words of the contract, in particular clause 16(
a) and then considering the surrounding circumstances (the factual matrix); 2. in failing to apply the surrounding circumstances (the factual matrix) in the
interpretation of the contractual clause, clause 16(a); 3. in finding as a matter of plain language of the contract, clause 16(a), cannot bear the meaning advanced by the Plaintiff; 4. in failing to make any assessment of damages when there was contradicted expert evidence as to the damages; and 5. the decision is contrary to the weight of the evidence.
IV. Law and Analysis A. Standard of Review [ 18 ] The parties acknowledge that contractual
interpretation is a question of mixed fact and law, unless a question of law is extricable from the mix. Instances where a question of law is extricable include, “the application of an incorrect principle, the failure to consider a required element of a legal test, or the failure to consider a relevant factor” (see: Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp. 2014 SCC 53 , [ 2014] 2 S.C.R. 633 at para. 53 ).
As a consequence, there is no dispute the standard of review is that of palpable and overriding error – except, in connection with an extricable question of law, for which the standard of review is correctness. B. First Ground of Appeal [ 19 ] Algo submits that, contrary to the obligation to consider the surrounding circumstances when interpreting the Contract, the trial judge committed an error in law by first interpreting the words of the Contract and later considering the surrounding circumstances.
In support of its submission, Algo points to the statement made by the trial judge, that “as a matter of plain language the duration of the contract simply cannot bear the meaning put on it by the Plaintiff”, and emphasizes this statement was made before the trial judge addressed the surrounding circumstances. Algo points to the following passage: The Plaintiff first emphasizes the underscored words – “and shall” – to argue that that mandatory language means the contract was a multi-year one, i.e. was to run from year to year unless otherwise properly terminated by one of the parties.
Except, as a matter of plain language the duration of the contract simply cannot bear the meaning put on it by the Plaintiff; for it would in effect result in eliminating from the subparagraph the additional words – “by mutual agreement” – found there. This the Court cannot do: The proper mode of construing any written instrument is to give effect to every part of it, if this is possible, and not to strike out or nullify one clause in a deed, unless it be impossible to reconcile it with another in a more express clause in the same deed. [para. 26] [ 20 ] Algo’s submission that the trial judge settled on an
interpretation of clause 16(a), before he considered the surrounding circumstances/factual matrix, is not an accurate characterization of the analysis contained in the reasons for decision, which must be read as a whole. [ 21 ] The trial judge made the statement referred to above at the point in his reasons where he addresses Algo’s various submissions in connection with the
interpretation of the Contract. Not surprisingly, he begins with the words used in clause 16(a). After doing so, he discusses fully Algo’s submissions respecting the surrounding circumstances. Neither the statement identified by Algo, nor the remainder of his reasons support the allegation that the judge settled on an
interpretation of the clause without considering the surrounding circumstances or the other submissions made by Algo. The statement does not reflect the totality of the trial judge’s reasons for his decision. On the contrary, his reasons very much reflect consideration of the surrounding circumstances. Furthermore, there is no merit to Algo’s argument that, at a minimum, by first addressing the “plain language” of clause 16(a), the trial judge “tainted” his analysis of the issues he subsequently addressed. [ 22 ] In my view, there is no merit to this ground of appeal. C.
Second Ground of Appeal [ 23 ] Algo maintains the trial judge erred in “failing to apply the surrounding circumstances” in the
interpretation of clause 16(a). [ 24 ] In support of this ground of appeal, Algo makes many of the arguments that were made to, and rejected by, the trial judge. While there is no misunderstanding these arguments or Algo’s position that the trial judge erred by failing to conclude the Contract automatically renewed for the 2001-2002 season, Algo’s assertions of reversible error are more difficult to
discern. The arguments that may be viewed as alleging error for “failing to apply the surrounding circumstances”, include the failure ofthe trial judge:
a) to accept the “surrounding circumstances” as including Mr. Donovan’s evidence that: (
i) it was his (and Algo’
s) understanding thatclause 16(
a) meant the Contract was, in essence, to automatically renew annually; and (ii) financial institutions required LoggingAgreements be multiyear, in order to be willing to provide term financing;
b) to imply, as a term of the Contract, that it automatically renews from year to year; and
c) to find the relationship between Algo and Repap was a “special relationship”, akin to an employee and/or a franchise relationship,which imposed on Repap an obligation to perform the Contract in good faith and to not terminate the contract without notice or reason. [25] In support of its position the Contract renewed automatically, Algo places considerableemphasis on the circumstances and less on the words of the Contract. It relies on what it argues are the surroundingcircumstances/factual matrix to give an expansive
interpretation of clause 16(
a) of the Contract. Similarly, it relies on the surroundingcircumstances to assert the trial judge should have implied a term that the Contract renewed automatically. [26] Algo’s submission also emphasizes the issue of good faith. This will be addressed, but I pointout that the assertions of good faith relate to wrongful termination. They do not relate directly to Algo’s submission the Contract renewsautomatically. [27] Helpful to the assessment of this ground of appeal are aspects of the trial judge’s analysis thatAlgo does not challenge.
For good reason, Algo does not allege error in the trial judge’s defining the issue to be determined as whetherthe Contract continued and had been terminated by Repap, or whether the Contract ended. Nor does Algo allege error in the trial judgehaving approached the
interpretation of clause 16(
a) as the determinative issue in this analysis. Indeed, Algo’s grounds of appeal submitthe trial judge erred in his
interpretation of clause 16(a), not that he had erred in viewing clause 16(
a) as being at the heart of theanalysis. Finally, Algo also does not take issue with the trial judge’s
summary of the general rules and principles applicable tocontractual
interpretation. [28] Notwithstanding that the principles of contractual
interpretation are not in dispute, it isnevertheless helpful to begin the analysis that follows by briefly identifying these principles. In fact, because the essence of Algo’ssubmissions is to expand upon the words of the Contract, based on the surrounding circumstances (in this ground of appeal) and thecontra proferentem rule (in the next ground of appeal), it is also helpful to be reminded that the goal of contractual
interpretation is toascertain the objective intent of the parties. As stated by Drapeau, C.J.N.B. in Robichaud et al. v. Pharmacie Acadienne de BeresfordLtée et al., 2008 NBCA 12, 328 N.B.R. (2d) 205: The objective of contractual
interpretation is the identification of the true intent of the parties at the time they entered into the contract.That intention must be ascertained by reference to the meaning of the words as used by the contracting parties (see Eli Lilly & Co. v.Novopharm Ltd., (SCC), [1998] 2 S.C.R. 129, [1998] S.C.J. 59 (QL) and MacNeil (Jerry) Architects Ltd. v. RomanCatholic Archbishop of Moncton et al., [2001] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 67, [2001] N.B.J. No. 296 (QL), 2001 NBQB 135, at paras. 29-33, where Justice Rideout canvasses the jurisprudence on point).
More often than not, the context plays an influential role in shaping thatmeaning (see Controls & Equipment Ltd. v. Ramco Contractors Ltd., at para. 13, and Stenstrom v. McCain Foods Ltd. (2000), 230N.B.R. (2d) 234, [2000] N.B.J. No. 379 (QL), 2000 NBCA 13, at para. 16). For all intents and purposes, the very same process is applied to the
interpretation of legislation. The words at issue “are to be read intheir entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme of the Act, the object of the Act, and theintention of Parliament” (see Elmer Driedger in Construction of Statutes, 2nd ed. (Toronto: Butterworths, 1983), at p. 87 and Rizzo &Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 27, [1998] S.C.J. No. 2 (QL), at para. 21). In fact, the law has evolved tothe point where it is widely accepted that, as a general rule, the processes of contractual and legislative
interpretation bring into play acommon bundle of influential considerations. [paras. 18-19] [29] Recently, in Sattva Capital Corp., the Supreme Court made the following comments regarding contractualinterpretation and the extent to which it involves issues of mixed fact and law:
As to the second development, the historical approach to contractual
interpretation does not fit well with the definition of a pure questionof law identified in Housen and Southam. Questions of law “are questions about what the correct legal test is” (Southam, at para. 35).Yet in contractual
interpretation, the goal of the exercise is to ascertain the objective intent of the parties – a fact-specific goal – throughthe application of legal principles of
interpretation. This appears closer to a question of mixed fact and law, defined in Housen as“applying a legal standard to a set of facts” (para. 26; see also Southam, at para. 35). However, some courts have questioned whether thisdefinition, which was developed in the context of a negligence action, can be readily applied to questions of contractual
interpretation,and suggest that contractual
interpretation is primarily a legal affair (see for example Bell Canada, at para. 25). With respect for the contrary view, I am of the opinion that the historical approach should be abandoned. Contractual
interpretationinvolves issues of mixed fact and law as it is an exercise in which the principles of contractual
interpretation are applied to the words ofthe written contract, considered in light of the factual matrix. [paras. 49-50] [30] The concept of “surrounding circumstances”, and the use of the “factual matrix”, in contractualinterpretation was described by Lord Wilberforce in Prenn v. Simmonds, [1971] 3 All E.R. 237 (H.L.), where he said: In order for the agreement of 6th July, 1960 to be understood, it must be placed in its context.
The time has long passed whenagreements, even those under seal, were isolated from the matrix of facts in which they were set and interpreted purely on internallinguistic considerations. … We must … enquire beyond the language and see what the circumstances were with reference to which thewords were used, and the object, appearing from those circumstances, which the person using them had in view. [pp. 239-240] [Emphasis added.] [31] Lord Wilberforce expanded on this a few years later in Reardon Smith Line Ltd. v.
Hansen-Tangen, [1976] 3 All E.R. 570 (H.L.) when he said: No contracts are made in a vacuum: there is always a setting in which they have to be placed. The nature of what is legitimate to haveregard to is usually described as ‘the surrounding circumstances’ but this phrase is imprecise: it can be illustrated but hardly defined.
In acommercial contract it is certainly right that the court should know the commercial purpose of the contract and this in turn presupposesknowledge of the genesis of the transaction, the background, the context, the market in which the parties are operating. [p. 574] [32] The Supreme Court in Sattva described fully both the role the surrounding circumstances/factualmatrix may play in contractual
interpretation and the nature of the evidence that may be considered for this purpose. Rothstein J. stated: I now turn to the role of the surrounding circumstances in contractual
interpretation and the nature of the evidence that can beconsidered. […] While the surrounding circumstances will be considered in interpreting the terms of a contract, they must never be allowed to overwhelmthe words of that agreement (Hayes Forest Services, at para. 14; and Hall, at p. 30). The goal of examining such evidence is to deepen adecision-maker’s understanding of the mutual and objective intentions of the parties as expressed in the words of the contract.
Theinterpretation of a written contractual provision must always be grounded in the text and read in light of the entire contract (Hall, at pp.15 and 30-32). While the surrounding circumstances are relied upon in the interpretive process, courts cannot use them to deviate fromthe text such that the court effectively creates a new agreement (Glaswegian Enterprises Inc. v. B.C. Tel Mobility Cellular Inc. (1997), (BC CA), 101 B.C.A.C. 62). The nature of the evidence that can be relied upon under the rubric of “surrounding circumstances” will necessarily vary from case tocase. It does, however, have its limits.
It should consist only of objective evidence of the background facts at the time of the execution ofthe contract (King, at paras. 66 and 70), that is, knowledge that was or reasonably ought to have been within the knowledge of bothparties at or before the date of contracting. Subject to these requirements and the parol evidence rule discussed below, this includes, inthe words of Lord Hoffmann, “absolutely anything which would have affected the way in which the language of the document wouldhave been understood by a reasonable man” (Investors Compensation Scheme, at p. 114).
Whether something was or reasonably ought tohave been within the common knowledge of the parties at the time of execution of the contract is a question of fact. (
c) Considering the Surrounding Circumstances Does Not Offend the Parol Evidence Rule
It is necessary to say a word about consideration of the surrounding circumstances and the parol evidence rule. The parol evidence ruleprecludes admission of evidence outside the words of the written contract that would add to, subtract from, vary, or contradict a contractthat has been wholly reduced to writing (King, at para. 35; and Hall, at p. 53). To this end, the rule precludes, among other things,evidence of the subjective intentions of the parties (Hall, at pp. 64-65; and Eli Lilly & Co. v. Novopharm Ltd., (SCC),[1998] 2 S.C.R. 129, at paras. 54-59, per Iacobucci J.).
The purpose of the parol evidence rule is primarily to achieve finality andcertainty in contractual obligations, and secondarily to hamper a party’s ability to use fabricated or unreliable evidence to attack a writtencontract (United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 579 v. Bradco Construction Ltd., (SCC),[1993] 2 S.C.R. 316, at pp. 341-42, per Sopinka J.). The parol evidence rule does not apply to preclude evidence of the surrounding circumstances.
Such evidence is consistent with theobjectives of finality and certainty because it is used as an interpretive aid for determining the meaning of the written words chosen bythe parties, not to change or overrule the meaning of those words. The surrounding circumstances are facts known or facts thatreasonably ought to have been known to both parties at or before the date of contracting; therefore, the concern of unreliability does notarise. [paras. 56-60] The trial judge rejected Algo’s position that the surrounding circumstances should include Mr. Donovan’s evidence:
i) he understood theeffect of clause 16(
a) was to automatically renew the Contract; and ii) as to the requirements of financial institutions regarding multiyearLogging Agreements. He concluded that such evidence was beyond what may be relied upon under the rubric of “surroundingcircumstances”. [33] In connection with Mr. Donovan’s understanding of the operation of clause 16(a), the trial judgeclearly explained why he concluded such evidence could not be considered as part of the “surrounding circumstances”. He said: This evidence, in effect, amounts to the opinion of the operating mind of the Plaintiff that the last part of clause 16(
a) of the contract is anautomatic renewal provision. The plaintiff argues that this testimony is relevant to interpreting the meaning of the contract. Counselrefers the Court to Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp, supra. That case does, indeed, recognize a role for the “surroundingcircumstances” in contractual
interpretation, a role that does not offend the ‘parol evidence rule’ – “because it is used as an interpretativeaid for determining the meaning of the written words chosen by the parties, not to change or overrule the meaning of those words” (atpara. 60). […] The above referenced testimony of Mr. Donovan does not fall within the rubric of “surrounding circumstances” within the meaning ofthe common law. It is simply evidence of his subjective belief or understanding of what the contract duration clause meant and flies inface of the words of the contract as written.
To rely on that evidence would be “to deviate from the text such that the court effectivelycreates a new agreement”. According to the Supreme Court, that kind of evidence is outside the umbrella of “surrounding circumstances”and in contravention of the ‘parol evidence rule’, which “precludes, among other things, evidence of the subjective intentions of theparties” (See: Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp., ibid at para. 59). [paras. 33 and 35] [34] In connection with Mr.
Donovan’s evidence that “a finance institut[ion] looked for” Algo to haveLogging Agreements with terms of four to five years in order to be willing to provide financing, the trial judge concluded there were twolegal barriers to this testimony. The first is that it was hearsay. The second relates to his conclusion that such evidence is simply not ofthe kind that may be properly viewed as “surrounding circumstances” to the
interpretation of a contract. He explained: Secondly, even if that testimony did not run afoul of the prohibition against hearsay, it is not relevant. It is not the kind of evidencecontemplated by the Supreme Court as properly considered under the “surrounding circumstances”: The nature of the evidence that can be relied upon under the rubric of “surrounding circumstances” will necessarily vary from case tocase. It does, however, have its limits.
It should consist only of objective evidence of the background facts at the time of the execution ofthe contract, that is, knowledge that was or reasonably ought to have been within the knowledge of both parties at or before the date ofcontracting. [...] (Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Molly Corp, supra, at para. 58) [para. 40] [Emphasis in original.]
[35] Quite simply, there is no error in the trial judge’s conclusions respecting this evidence, for thereasons he provided. [36] After addressing Algo’s submissions on the surrounding circumstances, the trial judge expresslyset out what he found to be the additional, admissible surrounding circumstances.
He stated: As to the admissible “surrounding circumstances”, the evidence reveals that these Logging Agreements were entered into with a numberof contractors, not just the Plaintiff, and their purpose was to meet the “annual allowable cut permitted” on the Crown licenses assignedto the Defendant under the “Forest Management Plan” between the Defendant and the Province, which plan was revised or adjustedevery five years to meet the vagaries of the forest and the industry.
The evidence also reveals that the Defendant was aware or oughtreasonably to have been aware that the Plaintiff was heavily invested in the equipment necessary to carry out the requirements of theDefendant under that contract and the previous contracts; that the Plaintiff was dependant on that work year after year; that it had beenmade known to the Plaintiff that the Defendant expected their needs under the contract to be the Plaintiff’s priority; and that the PlaintiffCompany and Defendant, through its predecessors, had entered upon Logging Agreements every year since the 1990-1991 contractseason. [para. 41] [37] In the second of its submissions related to this ground of appeal, that the trial judge “failed toapply the surrounding circumstances”, Algo argues the trial judge should have implied a term that the Contract continued from year-to-year.
It cites Mr. Convenience Ltd. v. 040502 N.B. Ltd. (1993), (NB CA), 137 N.B.R. (2d) 305, [1993] N.B.J. No. 451(C.A.) (QL). Algo argues the intention of the parties, as evidenced by their conduct, is that the Contract was to automatically renew, on ayear-to-year basis, until terminated in accordance with its terms. Appropriately, in my opinion, the trial judge found that such a term runscontrary to the language of clause 16(a), which expressly addresses the duration of the contract and renewal. On this basis, he rejectedAlgo’s request to imply such a term.
There is nothing in the record to suggest error in this conclusion. [38] In the last of its submissions under this ground of appeal, Algo maintains that the surroundingcircumstances establish the existence of a “special relationship” between it and Repap, a relationship that would imply an obligation toperform the Contract in good faith. This is more than the duty of honest performance explained in Bhasin v. Hrynew, 2014 SCC 71,[2014] 3 S.C.R. 494.
Algo submits that Repap owed it a duty of good faith performance; as the law has implied in certain types ofcontracts – such as, employment or franchise agreements (or in contracts of insurance) (see Bhasin at paras. 42-59). [39] Before going further, I would note again, this submission presumes the Contract is renewed orcontinued for the 2001-2002 season.
Algo submits that by terminating the Contract, Repap failed to meet its good faith performanceobligations. [40] Algo’s position is that its relationship with Repap is akin to the special relationships found toexist under employment and franchise contracts and, on that basis, it should similarly attract a duty of good faith respecting termination.Algo relies on: Esmail v. Petro-Canada, [1995] O.J. No. 924 (Q.L.); Wallace v. United Grain Growers Ltd., (SCC),[1997] 3 S.C.R. 701, [1997] S.C.J. No. 94 (Q.L.); Mellco Developments Ltd. v.
Portage la Prairie (City), 2002 MBCA 125, [2002] M.J.No. 381 (QL); and Gateway Realty Ltd. v. Arton Holdings Ltd., (NS SC), [1991] N.S.J. No. 362 (S.C.) (QL). Algoargues the evidence shows its relationship with Repap was not a typical commercial relationship, but rather it “bore a resemblance tothose of an employment relationship as described in Wallace, namely isolation and vulnerability”.
It maintains there was a powerimbalance, where Algo did not have equal bargaining power with Repap. [41] In submitting the trial judge recognized this reality, Algo directs the Court to the words of thetrial judge where he said (in the opening paragraph of his decision): […] Sadly, in some respects this case can be viewed as illustrative of the dire consequences that can befall from “owing your soul to thecompany store”, so to speak.
Except, in this community there is no longer even a “company store”. [para. 1] Algo maintains this observation reflects a finding by the trial judge that it was in a vulnerable position and did not have equal bargainingpower with Repap, which abused that power, and argues this characterization by the trial judge makes it obvious that the judge erredwhen he subsequently failed to conclude that a special relationship existed. [42] After canvassing the relevant case law, including Bhasin and considering fully the evidence before him, the
trial judge found the evidence did not establish the relationship between Algo and Repap was akin to an employment/franchiserelationship. He concluded that not only were the indicia of such a relationship contrary to the express provisions of the contract, it wasalso contrary to the evidence as a whole. This is a reasonable finding that is supported by the record. It is a finding in which I do notdetect any error, let alone a palpable and overriding error. D. Third Ground of Appeal [43] Algo submits the trial judge erred in “finding as a matter of plain language” clause 16(
a) cannot bear themeaning advanced by Algo. That is, the trial judge erred by finding clause 16(
a) could not be interpreted as automatically renewing theContract. [44] Algo’s principal submission in connection with this ground of appeal is that the trial judge should have appliedthe principle of contra proferentem on the basis that clause 16(
a) is ambiguous and instead interpreted the clause as operating toautomatically renew the Contract. In Algo’s written submission, contra proferentem was also argued as part of its allegation that the trialjudge “failed to apply the surrounding circumstances”. [45] The principle of contra proferentem, despite its diminished application in recent years, may apply where thewords of the contract are ambiguous. The trial judge concluded clause 16(
a) is not ambiguous. He said: Since the evidence is that the Defendant drafted the contract without input from the Plaintiff, the Plaintiff had urged the Court to applythe contra proferentem rule of construction in construing the language of the contract. This rule “applies to contracts and otherdocuments on the simple theory that any ambiguity in a term of a contract must be resolved against the author if the choice is betweenhim and the other party to the contract who did not participate in its drafting” (McClelland and Stewart Ltd. v. Mutual Life Assurance Co.of Canada (SCC), [1981] 2 S.C.R. 6 at p. 15).
However, contra proferentem is a last resort rule, only to be invoked ifthere is first found to be an ambiguity in the words of the contract, some doubt as to meaning (See: G.L. Fridman, The Law of Contract inCanada, 6th ed., Carswell, at p. 458). And, as explained, in my view there is no evident ambiguity. [para. 31] [46] In rejecting Algo’s position that clause 16(
a) automatically renews the Contract, the trial judgefound the plain language of the provision did not permit such an
interpretation. He said: The Plaintiff first emphasizes the underscored words – “and shall” – to argue that that mandatory language means the contract was amulti-year one, i.e. was to run from year to year unless otherwise properly terminated by one of the parties. Except, as a matter of plainlanguage the duration of the contract simply cannot bear the meaning put on it by the Plaintiff; for it would in effect result in eliminatingfrom the subparagraph the additional words – “by mutual agreement” – found there.
This the Court cannot do: The proper mode of construing any written instrument is to give effect to every part of it, if this is possible, and not to strike out ornullify one clause in a deed, unless it be impossible to reconcile it with another in a more express clause in the same deed. [para. 26] [47] Having concluded that clause 16(
a) does not automatically renew the Contract, the trial judge concluded theclause reflected an agreement that the Contract would renew on the “mutual agreement of both parties” – an agreement that is tooimprecise to be anything more than an unenforceable agreement to agree. He explained this in the following manner: In the end, guided by the law the Court is driven to only one conclusion and that is the words “and shall continue from year to year bymutual agreement of both parties” reflect but an unenforceable agreement to agree.
In other words, the Defendant did not terminate anexisting contract, but, rather, simply refused to enter upon a contract for the next cutting season, for which the Defendant cannot be heldliable in law. In coming to this conclusion, the Court has also had regard to the underlying rationale for the law’s stance that agreementsto agree are not enforceable; as referenced before – “because it lacks necessary certainty”.
Although it appears that these “loggingagreements” were not really negotiated each year in the truest sense of the word and that certain terms and conditions remained the samein each successive agreement, nonetheless, much detail did change – e.g. price, quantity, type, location, delivery, etc. And, the Plaintiffretained, if not the freedom, the right not to enter upon any such contract if any of the terms and conditions were not agreeable in anyyear. Put another way, the very fact that a new agreement was entered into each year for the duration of the contract season as describedin Clause 16(
a) makes the point that what was also contained within each of those agreements as further expressed in Clause 16(
a) wasan ‘agreement to agree’ for the next season. [para. 44]
[Emphasis added.] [ 48 ] It is my view there is no error in the trial judge’s conclusion. Clause 16(
a) is not ambiguous and the contra proferentem principle is not engaged to interpret it as automatically renewing the Contract from year to year. The intention of the parties may be derived from the words of the provision. However, and as the trial judge correctly concluded, the provision reflects, at best, an agreement to agree, that is, an agreement which is unenforceable for a lack of precision as to its terms. [ 49 ] For these reasons, I find no merit in the ground of appeal that the trial judge erred “in finding, as a matter of plain language, clause 16(
a) cannot bear the meaning advanced by the Plaintiff”. E. Fourth and Fifth Grounds of Appeal [ 50 ] Algo submits, as its fourth ground of appeal, the trial judge erred in law in failing to provisionally assess damages. The trial judge acknowledged the obligation to generally undertake a provisional assessment of damages.
While there is no doubt about the importance and value of this general requirement, given the outcome in relation to the other grounds of appeal, this particular ground of appeal is moot. [ 51 ] Algo’s fifth ground was not separately addressed in either its written or oral submission, but rather was subsumed as part of the second and third grounds. V. Disposition [ 52 ] For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal and order costs be paid by Algo in the amount of $3,000. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I.
Introduction [1] Pendant plus de quinze ans, Algo Enterprises Ltd., NBP Enterprises Inc. ou leur dirigeant, à
titre personnel, ont réalisé la coupe, la transformation et la livraison de bois pour Repap New Brunswick Inc. (ou ses prédécesseures) aux termes d’[TRADUCTION] « ententes d’exploitation forestière » établies chaque année pour une unique période de récolte. La saison allait d’ordinaire de septembre à mars. [2] En mars 2001, Algo achevait le travail stipulé par l’entente d’exploitation forestière de la saison 2000-2001, dernière entente écrite conclue par les parties (le « contrat »), lorsque Repap l’a informée qu’elle renonçait à ses services d’entrepreneure.
Algo a achevé le travail prévu au contrat et reçu paiement. Elle a tenté, mais en vain, de découvrir les raisons de la décision de Repap, et n’a plus travaillé pour elle. [3] En 2007, Algo et NBP ont déposé un exposé de la demande qui, modifié après l’ouverture du procès en 2013, porte qu’[TRADUCTION] « [e]n résiliant le contrat pour la saison 2001-2002, et ce, sans préavis écrit et sans
justification, [Repap] n’a pas satisfait à ses obligations d’exécuter de bonne foi » le contrat. Aucune entente écrite (ou orale) séparée ou distincte n’a été expressément conclue pour la saison 2001-2002. La
partie demanderesse a soutenu, au procès, que le contrat continuait de s’appliquer aux termes d’une clause de reconduction automatique, son al. 16a), et qu’il en était résulté un contrat pour la saison 2001- 2002. Texte de l’alinéa : [TRADUCTION] La présente entente entrera en vigueur le 15 septembre 2000, demeurera en vigueur jusqu’au 31 mars 2001, et continuera de s’appliquer d’année en année par accord mutuel entre les deux parties . [Je souligne.] [4] La modification apportée en 2013 à l’exposé de la demande était fondamentale.
L’exposé modifié n’avance plus que Repap, [TRADUCTION] « de par son refus de reconduire le contrat pour la saison 2001-2002, et ce, sans préavis écrit et sans justification, […] a manqué à son obligation d’exécuter de bonne foi ses obligations contractuelles »; il avance que Repap, [TRADUCTION] « [e]n résiliant le contrat pour la saison 2001-2002 […] a manqué à son obligation d’exécuter de bonne foi ses obligations contractuelles ».
La demande modifiée repose sur une allégation essentielle : le contrat était reconduit automatiquement pour la saison 2001-2002 et il a fait l’objet d’une résiliation illégitime. [5] Algo affirme avoir droit à des dommages-intérêts pour les cinq années qui ont suivi ce qu’elle dit avoir été la résiliation illégitime du contrat. [6] En défense, Repap répond que le contrat était de durée certaine, comme l’avaient été toutes les ententes d’exploitation forestière précédentes, et expirait le 31 mars 2001.
Elle nie que le contrat ait été reconduit automatiquement, que ce soit par application de l’al. 16a) ou autrement. Repap fait valoir qu’une nouvelle entente d’exploitation forestière était conclue chaque année et que chaque entente était unique du point de vue du type, des dimensions et de la quantité du bois à récolter, des terres où le bois devait être récolté, du moment et de l’endroit où le bois devait être livré, et du prix payé pour la livraison du bois à l’endroit convenu.
Repap affirme que le contrat a pris fin et que, tout simplement, elle a avisé Algo qu’elle n’avait pas l’intention de conclure avec elle une nouvelle entente d’exploitation forestière. [7] Le juge du procès n’a pas retenu l’argument d’Algo selon lequel l’al. 16a) faisait en sorte que le contrat continuait de s’appliquer ou se trouvait reconduit automatiquement, d’année en année, sans nouvel accord des parties.
Il a conclu que la stipulation contestée de l’alinéa, qui porte que l’entente [TRADUCTION] « continuera de s’appliquer d’année en année par accord mutuel entre les deux parties », constituait un [TRADUCTION] « accord d’entente future » inexécutoire. Il a donc repoussé l’argument d’Algo voulant que Repap eût résilié un contrat existant, puis il a rejeté la demande et condamné la
partie demanderesse aux dépens. [8] Algo appelle du rejet de la demande qu’elle a présentée contre Repap. NBP n’interjette pas appel. Sa demande a été rejetée pour avoir été introduite après l’expiration du délai de prescription de six ans. Pour les motifs exposés ci- après, je suis d’avis de débouter l’appelante. II. Le contexte [9] Le contexte de l’affaire, dans lequel s’inscrivent les « circonstances » ou le « fondement factuel » d’après lesquels l’al. 16a) a été interprété, est résumé par le juge du procès dans son jugement et les parties n’ont pas élevé de contestation à cet égard.
Ce résumé reproduit un résumé donné par le juge dans une décision antérieure, rendue sur la motion d’Algo en modification de son exposé de la demande. La motion a été entendue après la première journée du procès et après présentation par Algo du témoignage de vive voix de son dirigeant, Brian Donovan. La motion en modification a été accueillie et j’y reviendrai. Le résumé non contesté, qui apparaît dans les deux jugements, se présente ainsi : [TRADUCTION] Les demanderesses sont des sociétés liées qui ont déjà œuvré dans le secteur forestier au Nouveau-Brunswick.
La société défenderesse [Repap New Brunswick Inc.] et la société qui lui a succédé à la suite d’une fusion, UPM-Kymmene Miramichi, Inc., étaient, à une certaine époque, propriétaires notamment d’une usine de pâte mécanique de défibreur, d’une usine de pâtes et papiers et d’une scierie dans la région de Miramichi au Nouveau-Brunswick. La défenderesse détenait donc plusieurs importants permis de coupe de bois d’œuvre sur des terres de la Couronne, soit une surface forestière de quelque 2,5 millions d’acres.
Le président des deux sociétés demanderesses et le dirigeant qui en exerce le contrôle est Brian Donovan. M. Donovan avait démarré, à
titre personnel, une entreprise d’exploitation forestière au début des années 1980. De fait, il était l’un des entrepreneurs qui effectuaient la coupe et le transport du bois des terres visées par les permis de la Couronne octroyés à la défenderesse (ou de leurs terres franches) pour le compte des prédécesseurs de la défenderesse. Ce travail était effectué aux termes de contrats écrits (« les ententes d’exploitation forestière ») qui étaient conclus annuellement pour une période de temps précise de l’année (« la saison contractuelle »). Vers 1990, M.
Donovan a « transféré » son entreprise à la demanderesse Algo Enterprises Ltd. (« Algo »). Algo a continué d’agir comme entrepreneure pour le compte de la défenderesse, sauf pour une période d’une année. Cette exception s’est présentée en 1999, alors que « l’entente d’exploitation forestière » pour cette « saison contractuelle » a été conclue avec NBP Enterprises Ltd. (« NBP »), une compagnie également détenue et contrôlée par M. Donovan. Dans le témoignage qu’il a donné au procès, M. Donovan a justifié cette mesure par une demande faite par la défenderesse à la suite de problèmes de « syndicalisation ».
Ces problèmes ont été réglés et Algo a poursuivi ses activités d’entrepreneure l’année suivante. De plus, M. Donovan affirme qu’en mars 2001, il a été informé à mots couverts lors d’un entretien téléphonique par le surintendant des opérations forestières de la défenderesse qu’ [TRADUCTION] « [ils n’avaient] plus besoin de [nos] services ». M. Donovan a expliqué qu’il avait tenté d’obtenir les motifs justifiant la décision de la défenderesse, mais en vain. M.
Donovan a confirmé que le travail effectué lors de la « saison contractuelle » 2000-2001 (se terminant le 31 mars 2001) a été réalisé par Algo et payé par la défenderesse. Toutefois, Algo (ou NBP) n’ont plus jamais œuvré à
titre d’entrepreneure forestière pour le compte de la défenderesse. M. Donovan a expliqué que les compagnies demanderesses ont tenté d’atténuer leurs pertes. Cependant, en raison de la taille qu’elles avaient alors et du niveau d’endettement lié à l’équipement en plus du nombre d’années consacrées exclusivement au domaine forestier pour le compte de la défenderesse et de ses prédécesseures, elles ont dû cesser leurs activités.
Un comptable agréé a évalué les dommages subis par les compagnies demanderesses en fonction d’une grille de calcul de cinq ans, sur la base du principe de la « continuité d’exploitation » (en tenant pour acquis que les dommages étaient liés à toute présumée violation), à 1 136 385 $ pour ce qui est d’Algo et à 403 461 $ pour ce qui est de NBP. [...] Comme nous l’avons déjà mentionné, ces contrats de coupe et de transport du bois sont intitulés « ententes d’exploitation forestière », couvrent une « saison contractuelle » déterminée, et ont une date de début et une date de fin.
La dernière entente d’exploitation forestière conclue entre la demanderesse Algo et la défenderesse visait la « saison contractuelle » 2000-2001. L’entente a été signée par Algo le 5 juillet 2000 et par la défenderesse le 6 juillet 2000. D’entrée de jeu, elle stipule : [TRADUCTION] « La présente ENTENTE est faite en quatre exemplaires ce 15 septembre 2000 ».
Il est également stipulé, entre autres, que : [TRADUCTION] L’entrepreneur consent à réaliser la coupe, la transformation et la livraison au cours de la période comprise entre le 15 septembre 2000 et le 31 mars 2001 de tous les produits et selon les quantités établies par la compagnie pour les secteurs d’exploitation assignés par les permis de la Couronne 3 et 4 et pour les terres franches de la compagnie.
L’entente précise également le type, la quantité et les dimensions du bois faisant l’objet de la récolte, la qualité du bois requis, les terres spécifiques (« blocs ») faisant l’objet de la récolte, l’heure et l’endroit de la livraison du bois, le prix du contrat et les paiements, ainsi qu’une panoplie de conditions et de modalités dont plusieurs portent sur le mode d’exécution du travail à être réalisé. D’une importance particulière pour la présente motion (et pour l’action) est la clause suivante : Durée
a) La présente entente entrera en vigueur le 15 septembre 2000, demeurera en vigueur jusqu’au 31 mars 2001, et continuera de s’appliquer d’année en année par accord mutuel entre les deux parties.
b) La compagnie se réserve le droit de mettre fin à l’entente pour tout motif quelconque moyennant un préavis écrit de trois (3) jours à ALGO ENTREPRISES LIMITED.
À l’exception de la première entente conclue au début des années 1980 avec M. Donovan en sa capacité personnelle, cette clause de durée fait
partie intégrante de toutes les ententes d’exploitation forestière qui ont été soumises à la Cour. Il appert que la seule différence que comportait cette clause d’une entente à l’autre était la date fixée pour le début et la fin de l’entente, selon ce qui est précisé à l’alinéa a). [par. 16] [10] La question principale, au procès, découlait directement de la modification apportée à l’exposé de la demande après le premier jour du procès. Nous avons vu que, par cette modification, admise malgré que Repap s’y soit opposé, Algo a abandonné sa demande initiale.
Elle n’avance plus que Repap, [TRADUCTION] « de par son refus de reconduire le contrat pour la saison 2001-2002, et ce, sans préavis écrit et sans justification, […] a manqué à son obligation d’exécuter de bonne foi ses obligations contractuelles », mais que, [TRADUCTION] « [e]n résiliant le contrat [elle] a manqué à son obligation d’exécuter de bonne foi ses obligations contractuelles ». [11] Comme le juge du procès l’a expliqué, la [TRADUCTION] « distinction est effectivement essentielle aux prétentions » de la
partie demanderesse. Algo cherchait à [TRADUCTION] « se distancier » d’un argument qui la contraignait, en droit, à établir l’existence d’une obligation, ressortissant à la bonne foi, de reconduire le contrat (ou de négocier un nouveau contrat) pour la saison 2001-2002. [12] Par la modification de l’exposé de la demande, Algo abandonnait aussi le chef de sa demande originale sollicitant [TRADUCTION] « [l’invalidation de] la clause 16a) des ententes d’exploitation forestière en raison de son caractère flou, laquelle clause devrait être abrogée pour motif d’ambiguïté ».
Il semble que la demande initiale d’Algo, engagée pour refus de reconduire le contrat, ne s’appuyait pas sur l’al. 16a) en tant qu’engagement de négocier ou de produire une entente reconduite. [13] Il n’est guère douteux que l’exécution forcée d’engagements contractuels de reconduire, de négocier ou de conclure un contrat pose des difficultés. Comme le juge du procès l’a relevé (dans la décision rendue sur la motion d’Algo en modification), notre Cour a déclaré que « le droit ne reconnaît pas l’existence d’une obligation de négocier de bonne foi qui soit préalable au contrat » ( Doucet et Dauphinee c.
Spielo Manufacturing Incorporated et Manship , 2011 NBCA 44 , 372 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 1 , par. 35 , le juge d’appel Robertson au nom de la Cour). Il apparaît toutefois que sont plus pertinentes, dans les circonstances, les questions de force exécutoire relatives aux obligations contractuelles de reconduire, de négocier ou de conclure un contrat, questions distinctes de la notion de négociations préalables au contrat, comme le juge du procès l’a aussi relevé. Le libellé de la disposition contractuelle est déterminant sur ce point. En l’espèce, cette disposition, l’al. 16a), était en fait de portée très limitée.
Quoi qu’il en soit, Algo a renoncé à plaider la conclusion d’un accord prévoyant qu’une reconduction serait négociée de bonne foi. [14] Pour revenir à la demande modifiée, Algo soutient donc que le contrat était reconduit automatiquement, suivant ses conditions, et que Repap l’a résilié de façon illégitime, sans préavis ni justification, ce par quoi elle a manqué à l’obligation, ressortissant à la bonne foi, d’exécuter le contrat. [15] L’exposé de la demande a été modifié en mai 2013 et le procès a repris en novembre 2014. En définitive, M. Donovan a été le seul témoin appelé par Algo.
Repap n’a appelé personne à témoigner. [16] Le juge du procès a formulé la question à trancher en tenant compte de la modification récente de l’exposé de la demande. Sa conclusion était que Repap avait [TRADUCTION] « simplement refusé de conclure » un nouveau contrat. Il a indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Il s’agit donc avant tout de déterminer si la défenderesse a résilié un contrat existant ou si elle a simplement refusé de conclure un nouveau contrat pour la saison d’exploitation forestière suivante. Mon interprétation du contrat m’a amené à conclure qu’il faut retenir la seconde de ces deux options.
Voici mes motifs. [par. 21] Ayant conclu que le contrat n’était pas reconduit et que Repap avait simplement refusé d’envisager la conclusion d’une nouvelle entente, le juge du procès a rejeté la demande d’Algo. III. Questions en litige
[17] Dans son avis d’appel, Algo soutient que le juge du procès a commis les erreurs suivantes : 1. en interprétant d’abord les termes du contrat, en particulier son al. 16a), et en ne tenant compte qu’ensuite des circonstances (du fondement factuel). 2. en ne s’appuyant pas sur les circonstances (le fondement factuel) dans l’interprétation de la clause contractuelle, l’al. 16a). 3. lorsqu’il a conclu que, selon le libellé clair du contrat, l’al. 16a) ne pouvait être interprété comme l’avançait la demanderesse. 4. en n’évaluant pas les dommages-intérêts, alors que la preuve d’expert, en ce qui concerne les dommages, était contredite. 5. la décision du juge du procès va à l’encontre de la prépondérance de la preuve.
IV. Droit et analyse A. Norme de contrôle [18] Les parties reconnaissent que l’interprétation d’un contrat est une question mixte de fait et de droit, à moins qu’il soit possible d’isoler, parmi les éléments mixtes de l’analyse, une question de droit. Par exemple, il devient possible d’isoler une question de droit lorsqu’on a « appliqu[é] le mauvais principe ou néglig[é] un élément essentiel d’un critère juridique ou un facteur pertinent » ( Sattva Capital Corp. c. Creston Moly Corp. , 2014 CSC 53 , [ 2014] 2 R.C.S. 633 , par. 53 ).
Il n’est donc pas contesté que la norme de contrôle est celle de l’erreur manifeste et dominante – sauf question de droit isolable, auquel cas la norme de contrôle est celle de la décision correcte. B. Premier moyen d’appel [19] Algo soutient que le juge du procès, à l’encontre de l’obligation de tenir compte des circonstances lors de l’interprétation du contrat, a commis une erreur de droit en interprétant les termes du contrat d’abord, et en ne tenant compte des circonstances qu’ensuite.
À l’appui de cet argument, Algo fait valoir que le juge du procès a affirmé que, [TRADUCTION] « selon le libellé clair des termes en cause, la durée du contrat ne peut tout simplement pas être interprétée comme le préconise la demanderesse », et que cette affirmation a précédé l’examen des circonstances par le juge du procès.
Elle renvoie au passage suivant : [TRADUCTION] La demanderesse commence par attirer l’attention sur les termes soulignés, soit [TRADUCTION] « et continuera », pour faire valoir que ce libellé impératif signifie que le contrat était pluriannuel, c’est-à-dire qu’il devait être reconduit d’année en année à moins d’être dûment résilié par l’une des parties.
Toutefois, selon le libellé clair des termes en cause, la durée du contrat ne peut tout simplement pas être interprétée comme le préconise la demanderesse, car cela reviendrait alors à éliminer les autres termes de l’alinéa, soit [TRADUCTION] « par accord mutuel », qui s’y trouvent.
Il est impossible à la Cour de le faire : [TRADUCTION] Le mode d’interprétation approprié de tout instrument consiste à donner effet à toutes ses parties, si cela est possible, et non à radier ou annuler une clause d’un acte formaliste, à moins qu’il ne soit impossible de la concilier avec une autre clause du même acte formaliste dont le libellé est plus exprès. [par. 26] [20] L’argument d’Algo voulant que le juge ait arrêté une interprétation de l’al. 16a) avant d’avoir tenu compte des circonstances, ou du fondement factuel, présente sous un faux jour l’analyse donnée dans ses motifs, qui doivent être
interprétés comme un tout. [21] L’affirmation précitée du juge du procès apparaît dans la
partie de ses motifs où il se penche sur les divers arguments d’Algo au
chapitre de l’interprétation du contrat. Il commence naturellement par se reporter aux termes employés à l’al. 16a). Il procède ensuite à une analyse détaillée des arguments d’Algo relativement aux circonstances. Ni l’affirmation qu’attaque Algo ni le reste des motifs du juge du procès ne justifient d’avancer qu’il a arrêté une interprétation de la clause sans tenir compte des circonstances ou des autres arguments d’Algo. Cette affirmation du juge n’est pas représentative de l’ensemble de ses motifs. Au contraire, ses motifs montrent certainement qu’il a tenu compte des circonstances.
Algo n’est pas fondée, non plus, à prétendre que le fait d’avoir d’abord invoqué le « libellé clair » de l’al. 16a) a influé, à tout le moins, sur l’analyse des questions que le juge a ensuite examinées. [22] À mon sens, ce moyen d’appel est sans fondement. C. Deuxième moyen d’appel [23] Algo avance que le juge du procès a fait erreur [TRADUCTION] « en ne s’appuyant pas sur les circonstances » dans l’interprétation de l’al. 16a). [24] Au soutien de ce moyen d’appel, Algo reprend bon nombre des arguments qu’elle a présentés au juge du procès, et qu’il a repoussés.
Si l’on ne peut se méprendre sur ces arguments ou sur la thèse d’Algo, qui soutient que le juge du procès a fait erreur en ne concluant pas à la reconduction automatique du contrat, pour la saison 2001-2002, il est plus difficile de dégager de son argumentation les assertions imputant au juge des erreurs qui justifient d’infirmer sa décision. Les arguments qu’il est permis de considérer comme attributifs d’erreurs pour [TRADUCTION] « [défaut de s’appuyer] sur les circonstances » reprochent au juge du procès de ne pas avoir :
a) admis que faisaient
partie des « circonstances » les énoncés suivants, donnés par M. Donovan dans son témoignage : (
i) il avait interprété (comme Algo) l’al. 16a) comme signifiant que le contrat devait essentiellement être reconduit automatiquement chaque année, (ii) les établissements financiers n’étaient disposés à consentir un financement à terme que si les ententes d’exploitation forestière étaient pluriannuelles;
b) reconnu l’existence d’une clause implicite du contrat voulant qu’il soit reconduit automatiquement d’année en année;
c) conclu que la relation d’Algo et de Repap était une « relation particulière », analogue à une relation d’emploi ou de franchise, qui imposait à Repap l’obligation d’exécuter de bonne foi le contrat et de ne pas le résilier sans préavis ni justification. [25] À l’appui de sa thèse d’une reconduction automatique du contrat, Algo met avant tout l’accent sur les circonstances, plutôt que sur les termes du contrat. Elle se fonde sur ce qu’elle affirme être les circonstances, ou le fondement factuel, pour donner une interprétation large de l’al. 16a) du contrat.
De même, elle se fonde sur les circonstances pour affirmer que le juge du procès aurait dû conclure à l’existence d’une clause implicite de reconduction automatique du contrat. [26] L’argumentation d’Algo met l’accent, en outre, sur la question de la bonne foi. J’y reviendrai, mais je signale qu’elle invoque la bonne foi à l’égard de la résiliation illégitime du contrat.
Les assertions d’Algo, en ce qui concerne la bonne foi, ne touchent pas directement l’affirmation que le contrat était reconduit automatiquement. [27] Les parties de l’analyse du juge du procès qui ne sont pas contestées par Algo aident à l’évaluation de ce moyen d’appel. Algo ne prétend pas, avec raison, que le juge du procès ait commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que la question à trancher était celle de savoir si le contrat avait pris fin, ou s’il continuait de s’appliquer et avait été résilié par Repap .
Algo ne prétend pas, non plus, que le juge ait commis une erreur en tenant l’interprétation de l’al. 16a) pour le point décisif de l’analyse. En effet, les moyens d’appel d’Algo avancent que le juge a fait erreur dans son interprétation de l’al. 16a), et non du fait qu’il a considéré cet
alinéa comme étant au cœur de l’analyse. Enfin, Algo n’attaque pas le résumé donné par le juge du procès des règles et principesgénéraux de l’interprétation contractuelle. [28] Bien que les principes de l’interprétation contractuelle n’aient donné lieu à aucune contestation,il est utile d’ouvrir l’analyse qui suit par un bref retour sur ces principes.
En fait, parce que l’argumentation d’Algo s’attacheessentiellement à développer une clause du contrat en s’appuyant sur les circonstances (par ce moyen d’appel-ci) et sur la règle contraproferentem (par le moyen d’appel suivant), il est utile également de se rappeler que l’interprétation d’un contrat a pour but dedéterminer l’intention objective des parties. Comme l’a écrit le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., dans l’arrêt Robichaud et al. c.
Pharmacie Acadienne de Beresford Ltée et autre, 2008 NBCA 12, 328 R.N.-B. (2e) 205 : L’interprétation d’un contrat a pour but de déterminer quelle était l’intention véritable des parties au moment de sa passation. La Courdoit établir cette intention en examinant le sens des termes que les parties contractantes ont employés (voir Eli Lilly & Co. c. Novopharm Ltd., (SCC), [1998] 2 R.C.S. 129, [1998] A.C.S. no 59 (QL), et MacNeil (Jerry) Architects Ltd. c.
Roman Catholic Archbishop of Moncton et al., [2001] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 67, 2001 NBQB 135 , [2001] A.N.-B. no 296 (QL), 2001 NBBR135, aux par. 29 à 33, une décision dans laquelle le juge Rideout passe en revue la jurisprudence sur ce point). Le plus souvent, lecontexte joue un rôle important dans la détermination du sens (voir Controls & Equipment Ltd. c. Ramco Contractors Ltd., au par. 13, et Stenstrom c. McCain Foods Ltd. (2000), 230 R.N.-B. (2e) 234, [2000] A.N.-B. no 379 (QL), 2000 NBCA 13, au par. 16).
Dans la pratique, on applique exactement le même processus pour interpréter une disposition législative. [TRADUCTION] « Il faut lire[les termes en cause] dans leur contexte global en suivant le sens ordinaire et grammatical qui s’harmonise avec l’esprit de la loi, l’objet de la loi et l’intention du législateur » (voir Elmer Driedger dans Construction of Statutes, 2e éd. (Toronto : Butterworths, 1983), à la p. 87 et Rizzo & Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (SCC), [1998] 1 R.C.S. 27, [1998] A.C.S. no 2 (QL), au par. 21).
En fait, ledroit a évolué au point qu’il est largement reconnu qu’en règle générale, le processus d’interprétation contractuelle et législative met enjeu un même ensemble de considérations importantes. [par. 18 et 19] [29] Récemment, dans l’arrêt Sattva Capital Corp., la Cour suprême a traité d’interprétationcontractuelle et indiqué dans quelle mesure elle soulève des questions mixtes de fait et de droit : Relativement au deuxième changement, l’approche historique de l’interprétation contractuelle ne cadre pas bien avec la définition de lapure question de droit formulée dans les arrêts Housen et Southam.
Les questions de droit « concernent la détermination du critèrejuridique applicable » (Southam, par. 35). Or, lorsqu’il s’agit d’interprétation contractuelle, le but de l’exercice consiste à déterminerl’intention objective des parties – un but axé sur les faits – par l’application des principes juridiques d’interprétation. Il me semble quecela se rapproche plutôt de la question mixte de fait et de droit, définie dans l’arrêt Housen comme supposant « l’application d’une normejuridique à un ensemble de faits » (par. 26; voir aussi Southam, par. 35).
Toutefois, certains tribunaux ont émis des doutes surl’application directe de cette définition, qui avait été établie à l’égard d’une action intentée pour négligence, à des questionsd’interprétation contractuelle et laissent entendre que cette dernière est d’abord et avant tout une affaire de droit (voir par exempleBell Canada, par. 25). Avec tout le respect que je dois aux tenants de l’opinion contraire, à mon avis, il faut rompre avec l’approche historique.
L’interprétationcontractuelle soulève des questions mixtes de fait et de droit, car il s’agit d’en appliquer les principes aux termes figurant dans le contratécrit, à la lumière du fondement factuel. [par. 49 et 50] [30] Dans l’arrêt Prenn c. Simmonds, [1971] 3 All E.R. 237 (Ch. des lords), lord Wilberforce s’estpenché sur le concept de « circonstances » et sur l’utilisation du « fondement factuel » en interprétation contractuelle : [TRADUCTION]Pour comprendre la convention du 6 juillet 1960, il faut la replacer dans son contexte.
Le temps n’est plus où les conventions, mêmescellées, étaient isolées du fondement factuel qui leur était associé et interprétées strictement d’après des considérations linguistiquesinternes. […] Nous devons […] pousser l’examen par-delà la langue et voir les circonstances auxquelles se rapportaient les motsemployés et l’objet, émanant de ces circonstances, qu’envisageait la personne qui les a employés. [p. 239 et 240] [L’italique est de moi.] [31] Lord Wilberforce est revenu sur le sujet quelques années plus tard, dans Reardon Smith LineLtd. c. Hansen-Tangen, [1976] 3 All E.R. 570 (Ch. des lords) :
[TRADUCTION]Aucun contrat n’est conclu dans l’abstrait : les contrats s’inscrivent toujours dans un contexte. On parle habituellement de« circonstances » pour définir la nature de ce dont il est légitimement possible de tenir compte, mais ce terme n’est pas précis : il estpossible d’illustrer la chose, mais il est difficile de la définir.
Lorsqu’un contrat commercial est en cause, le tribunal devrait certesconnaître son objet sur le plan commercial, ce qui présuppose d’autre part une connaissance de l’origine de l’opération, de l’historique,du contexte, du marché dans lequel les parties exercent leurs activités. [p. 574] [32] Dans Sattva, la Cour suprême a précisé à la fois le rôle que peuvent jouer les circonstances, oule fondement factuel, dans l’interprétation du contrat, et la nature des éléments de preuve admis.
Le juge Rothstein a écrit : Abordons le rôle des circonstances dans l’interprétation du contrat et la nature des éléments admis à l’examen. […] Bien que les circonstances soient prises en considération dans l’interprétation des termes d’un contrat, elles ne doivent jamais lessupplanter (Hayes Forest Services, par. 14; Hall, p. 30). Le décideur examine cette preuve dans le but de mieux saisir les intentionsréciproques et objectives des parties exprimées dans les mots du contrat.
Une disposition contractuelle doit toujours être interprétée surle fondement de son libellé et de l’ensemble du contrat (Hall, p. 15 et 30-32). Les circonstances sous-tendent l’interprétation du contrat,mais le tribunal ne saurait fonder sur elles une lecture du texte qui s’écarte de ce dernier au point de créer dans les faits une nouvelleentente (Glaswegian Enterprises Inc. c. B.C. Tel Mobility Cellular Inc. (1997), (BC CA), 101 B.C.A.C. 62). La nature de la preuve susceptible d’appartenir aux « circonstances » variera nécessairement d’une affaire à l’autre. Il y a toutefoiscertaines limites.
Il doit s’agir d’une preuve objective du contexte factuel au moment de la signature du contrat (King, par. 66 et 70),c’est-à-dire, les renseignements qui appartenaient ou auraient raisonnablement dû appartenir aux connaissances des deux parties à la datede signature ou avant celle-ci.
Compte tenu de ces exigences et de la règle d’exclusion de la preuve extrinsèque que nous verrons, onentend par « circonstances », pour reprendre les propos du lord Hoffmann [TRADUCTION] « tout ce qui aurait eu une incidence sur lamanière dont une personne raisonnable aurait compris les termes du document » (Investors Compensation Scheme, p. 114). La questionde savoir si quelque chose appartenait ou aurait dû raisonnablement appartenir aux connaissances communes des parties au moment de lasignature du contrat est une question de fait.
c) Tenir compte des circonstances n’est pas contraire à la règle d’exclusion de la preuve extrinsèque Quelques mots sur l’examen des circonstances et la règle d’exclusion de la preuve extrinsèque s’imposent. Cette règle empêchel’admission d’éléments de preuve autres que les termes du contrat écrit qui auraient pour effet de modifier ou de contredire un contrat quia été entièrement consigné par écrit, ou d’y ajouter de nouvelles clauses ou d’en supprimer (King, par. 35; Hall, p. 53).
À cette fin, larègle interdit notamment les éléments de preuve concernant les intentions subjectives des parties (Hall, p. 64-65; Eli Lilly & Co. c.Novopharm Ltd., (SCC), [1998] 2 R.C.S. 129, par. 54-59, le juge Iacobucci). La règle vise, premièrement, à donner uncaractère définitif et certain aux obligations contractuelles et, deuxièmement, à empêcher qu’une
partie puisse utiliser des éléments depreuve fabriqués ou douteux pour attaquer un contrat écrit (Fraternité unie des charpentiers et menuisiers d’Amérique,
section locale579 c. Bradco Construction Ltd., (SCC), [1993] 2 R.C.S. 316, p. 341-342, le juge Sopinka). La règle d’exclusion de la preuve extrinsèque n’interdit pas au tribunal de tenir compte des circonstances entourant le contrat. Cettepreuve est compatible avec les objectifs relatifs au caractère définitif et certain puisqu’elle sert d’outil d’interprétation qui vient éclairerle sens des mots du contrat choisis par les parties, et non le changer ou s’y substituer.
Les circonstances sont des faits connus ou quiauraient raisonnablement dû l’être des deux parties à la date de signature du contrat ou avant celle-ci; par conséquent, le risque que deséléments d’une fiabilité douteuse soient invoqués ne se pose pas. [par. 56 à 60] Le juge du procès a rejeté l’argument d’Algo selon lequel les éléments suivants, issus du témoignage de M. Donovan, devaient fairepartie des circonstances :
i) l’affirmation qu’il avait compris que l’al. 16a) avait pour effet de reconduire automatiquement le contrat;ii) ses indications sur les exigences des établissements financiers relatives aux ententes d’exploitation forestière pluriannuelles. Il aconclu que ces éléments ne s’inscrivaient pas dans la preuve susceptible d’appartenir aux « circonstances ». [33] Le juge du procès a expliqué clairement pourquoi il concluait que le témoignage deM. Donovan sur ce qu’il avait compris de l’effet de l’al. 16a) ne pouvait être considéré comme faisant
partie des « circonstances » :
[TRADUCTION]Ce témoignage constitue en réalité l’opinion de l’âme dirigeante de la demanderesse, opinion selon laquelle la dernière
partie de l’alinéa16a) du contrat est une clause de reconduction automatique. La demanderesse fait valoir que ce témoignage est pertinent pour interpréterle sens du contrat. Son avocat renvoie la Cour à l’arrêt Sattva Capital Corp. c. Creston Moly Corp., précité.
Dans cette affaire, il esteffectivement reconnu que les « circonstances » ont un rôle dans l’interprétation du contrat, un rôle qui n’est pas contraire à la « règled’exclusion de la preuve extrinsèque [puisque cette preuve] sert d’outil d’interprétation qui vient éclairer le sens des mots du contratchoisis par les parties, et non le changer ou s’y substituer » (au par. 60). […] Le témoignage de M. Donovan qui a été cité plus haut n’appartient pas aux « circonstances » au sens de la common law.
Il attestesimplement ce que signifiait la clause relative à la durée du contrat, selon sa croyance ou sa compréhension subjective, et va à l’encontredes mots du contrat tels que rédigés. Se fonder sur une telle preuve reviendrait à « s’écart[er] de ce dernier [le texte] au point de créerdans les faits une nouvelle entente ». Selon la Cour suprême, ce type de preuve ne relève pas des « circonstances » et va à l’encontre dela « règle d’exclusion de la preuve extrinsèque » qui « interdit notamment les éléments de preuve concernant les