2022 QCCA 1283, 2022 QCCA 1283
Opinion
9124-7452 Québec inc. c. Racine & Chamberland inc. 2022 QCCA 1283 COURT OF APPEAL CANADA PROVINCE OF QUEBEC REGISTRY OF MONTREAL No.: 500-09-030145-221 ( 500-22-260994-200 ) MINUTES OF HEARING DATE: September 22, 2022 CORAM: THE HONOURABLE MARIE-FRANCE BICH, J.A. PATRICK HEALY, J.A. STÉPHANE SANSFAÇON, J.A. APPELLANT COUNSEL 9124-7452 QUÉBEC INC. Mtre LOUIS GEORGES BRUNET ( Gagnon Brunet Kilani ) Absent RESPONDENT COUNSEL RACINE & CHAMBERLAND INC.
Mtre JACQUES CASTONGUAY ( Leroux Côté Burrogano ) Absent On appeal from a judgment rendered on June 27, 2022 by the Honourable Henri Richard of the Court of Québec , District of Montreal . DESCRIPTION: Application to dismiss an appeal (Article 365 C.C.P. ). Clerk at the hearing : René Gutknecht Courtroom: Pierre-Basile-Mignault HEARING Continuation of the hearing held on September 19, 2022. The parties were excused from appearing in Court. BY THE COURT: Judgment – see page 3.
René Gutknecht, Clerk at the hearing JUDGMENT [ 1 ] The respondent seeks the dismissal of the appeal filed against the judgment rendered on June 27, 2022 by the Court of Quebec, District of Montreal (the Honourable Henri Richard), [1] on the ground that the appeal has no chance of success. The judgment under appeal awarded the respondent $48,901.78 with interest as balance of a premium for a contract of insurance and dismissed the appellant’s cross-application in damages. [ 2 ] The appellant operates a dyeing, silk-screening and fabric finishing business in a building he owns in Montreal.
In March 21, 2019, the appellant was informed of the non-renewal of the contract of damage insurance. The respondent then made every effort to find new insurers to enter into a contract of insurance for the benefit of their client effective May 30, 2019 and to that end contacted at least 16 insurers or brokers in order to find the right contract for its client.
Despite all its efforts, the respondent was systematically refused, notably because of the age of the client's building and the absence of a hydraulic calculations report for the sprinkler system. [ 3 ] This being the case, the respondent informed the appellant of the need to obtain such a report, which the appellant undertook to do as soon as possible. The respondent managed to find a primary insurer, who, after having accepted to cover the risk, withdrew 24 hours later. The respondent did not inform the appellant of this withdrawal but then found another insurer, in extremis .
However, the premium for this insurer was exorbitant compared to the appellant’s former one. Also, this new insurer imposed deductibles of $100,000 on the main elements of the contract of insurance. A month later, respondent finally informed the appellant of the existence of this new arrangement. [ 4 ] The premium on the contract was paid by the respondent which in turn billed the appellant, who only paid part of it. After a number of exchanges with the appellant’s representative, the respondent finally cancelled the contract in December, which led to the present legal procedure.
Is his cross-application, the appellant asked that the respondent pay the costs ($7,000) of the hydraulic calculations report for the sprinkler system, that was unnecessarily recommended by the respondent. * * * [ 5 ] In its notice of appeal, the appellant alleges that the judge erred in law and in fact in concluding that it owed the premium.
The appellant reiterates that it never agreed to pay the high premium for which it was billed. [ 6 ] The judge concluded that the appellant was advised late of the new contract of insurance and its high premium, but that despite its strong disappointment with it and the considerable increase in deductibles, it insisted on keeping the contract in force for several months since it was in the process of refinancing its activities and the creditors were demanding that their client be properly insured, failing which no financing would be granted. [ 7 ] This conclusion, just like the factual errors alleged in the notice of appeal, are centred on the judge’s assessment of the testimonial and documentary evidence.
It is well established that, in such matters, the trial judge’s findings must be given considerable deference and that only a palpable and overriding error warrants appellate intervention. [2] As the appellant’s notice of appeal does not point out any such specific palpable and overriding error, we see no possible ground for an intervention. [ 8 ] The appellant adds that the judge erred in law and in fact in refusing to conclude that there was no contract of insurance since it did not receive the policy until a few days before its cancellation by the respondent, as a result of its refusal to pay the premium. [ 9 ] After correctly stating the legal rules applicable to such matters, the judge wrote that, as the appellant had mandated the respondent to conclude an insurance contract with a new insurance company, that the contract was binding on the client since the insurer accepted the application of the client who was acting through its broker.
The reception at a later date of the policy did not change that conclusion. [ 10 ] Again, the appellant does not point out an error in law or a palpable and overriding error committed by the judge. [ 11 ] Finally, the appellant alleges that the judge erred in finding that respondent did not act carelessly when it recommended the preparation of a hydraulic calculations report for the sprinkler system. The judge explains clearly why that argument did not stand as such a report was requested by the great majority of the insurance companies. [ 12 ] In Construction Blenda inc. c.
Office municipal d'habitation de Rosemère , [3] our colleague Mainville, J.A. wrote : [7] L’appelante conteste la quasi-totalité des conclusions du juge de première instance et elle soutient voir des erreurs de droit ou des erreurs de fait manifestes et déterminantes dans presque toutes les questions abordées par le juge. Il s’agit manifestement d’un cas où l’appelante cherche à refaire le procès en appel afin d’obtenir une nouvelle évaluation de la preuve qui lui serait plus favorable.
Comme la Cour l’a énoncé à de nombreuses reprises, c’est là gravement méconnaître son rôle. […] [36] Dans son mémoire, l’appelante ne traite pas de la norme de contrôle en appel. Elle aurait eu intérêt à s’en enquérir. Plutôt que de
cibler ses moyens d’appel, comme il se doit, l’appelante tire dans toutes les directions dans l’espoir qu’un de ces tirs atteigne la cible. Un bref rappel du rôle de la Cour s’impose donc. [37] L’appel n’est pas une occasion pour refaire le procès 4 . La Cour ne réentend pas une affaire ni ne l’instruit à nouveau sur la foi des transcriptions et des pièces. Elle vérifie plutôt si la décision comporte des erreurs 5 . La raison en est toute simple : le juge de première instance est dans une position avantageuse pour évaluer la crédibilité des témoins et arbitrer la preuve contradictoire 6 .
Dans un dossier hautement factuel où le juge a dû soupeser une preuve matérielle et testimoniale abondante, comme en l’espèce, il n’appartient pas à la Cour de se livrer à l’exercice que requiert d’elle l’appelante, soit celui de réévaluer presque l’entièreté de la preuve afin d’en tirer des conclusions factuelles différentes de celles du juge 7 . [38] Si la norme d’intervention en appel sur une question de droit est fondée sur la décision correcte, lorsqu’il s’agit d’une question de fait ou d’une question mixte de droit et de fait, comme c’est le cas pour la plupart des questions soulevées par l’appelante en l’espèce, la norme applicable est sévère.
Il s’agit de celle de l’erreur manifeste et déterminante. En vertu de cette norme, le rôle d’une cour d’appel ne consiste pas à réexaminer la preuve globalement et à tirer ses propres conclusions, mais simplement de s’assurer que les conclusions de fait du juge du procès trouvent raisonnablement appui dans la preuve.
Il ne s’agit donc pas de réévaluer la preuve, mais plutôt d’un exercice fort différent : celui de s’assurer que la preuve permet de raisonnablement soutenir la conclusion du juge de première instance, bien que d’autres conclusions aient pu en être tirées. [39] Comme la Cour le soulignait récemment dans Cloutier c.
Bussière 8 , à la lumière de l’abondante jurisprudence sur cette question 9 , une erreur est dite « manifeste » lorsqu’elle peut être identifiée avec une grande économie de moyens, sans que la chose provoque un long débat de sémantique et sans qu’il soit nécessaire de revoir des pans entiers d’une preuve documentaire et testimoniale qui est partagée et contradictoire. L’erreur manifeste est celle qui saute aux yeux, qui peut être montrée du doigt et qui tient non pas de « l’aiguille dans une botte de foin », mais de la « poutre dans l’œil ».
Il doit s’agir d’autre chose que d’inviter la Cour à porter un regard panoramique sur l'ensemble de la preuve. Il faut plutôt diriger son attention vers un point déterminé où un élément de preuve univoque fait tout simplement obstacle à la conclusion de fait attaquée. [40] Une erreur manifeste est dite « déterminante » lorsqu’elle a un impact tel sur une conclusion de fait, ou mixte de fait et de droit, qu’elle vicie cette conclusion dans son entier, c’est-à-dire qu’elle doit faire obstacle à la conclusion du juge sur une question de fait et qu’elle est de nature à influer sur l’issue du litige.
C’est le jugement en entier ou, à tout le moins, une conclusion importante de ce jugement qui doit tomber en raison de cette erreur. ________ 4 Laforest c . Boudreault , 2015 QCCA 162 , par. 39 ; Szondy c . 794204 Ontario inc. , 2013 QCCA 1024 , par. 3 ; Andrade c . Soliman , 2013 QCCA 88 , par. 1 ; Droit de la famille — 17561 , 2017 QCCA 465 , par. 6 . 5 H.L. c. Canada (Procureur général) , 2005 CSC 25 , [2005] 1 RCS 401 , par. 52-56 . 7 Birdair inc. c. Danny's Construction Company Inc. , 2013 QCCA 580 , par. 49-51 et 60 . 8 Cloutier c . Bussière , 2019 QCCA 2014 , par. 21-23 . 9 Housen c.
Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , par. 1 , 4, 22-23; Canada (Procureur général) c. Bedford , 2013 CSC 72 , [2013] 3 R.C.S. 1101 , par. 55 ; M.G. c. Pinsonneault, 2017 QCCA 607 , par. 140-141 . J.G. c. Nadeau , 2016 QCCA 167 , par. 76-77 ; P.L. c.
Benchetrit , 2010 QCCA 1505 , par. 24 . [ 13 ] The appellant has not convinced us that its grounds of appeal are likely to result in the reversal of the judgment under appeal or that they are more than a request for the Court to reassess the facts, which is not the role of the Court. [4] The appeal, therefore, having no reasonable chance of success, it shall be dismissed. FOR THESE REASONS, THE COURT: [ 14 ] GRANTS the application to dismiss the appeal, with legal costs; [ 15 ] DISMISSES the appeal, with legal costs. MARIE-FRANCE BICH, J.A. PATRICK HEALY, J.A.
STÉPHANE SANSFAÇON, J.A.