2018 NBCA 71, 2018 NBCA 71
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 2-17-CA JOSHUA KINDRED APPELLANT JOSHUA KINDRED APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Kindred v. R., 2018 NBCA 71 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg Kindred c.
R., 2018 NBCA 71 CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 19, 2016 (conviction) December 9, 2016 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 19 septembre 2016 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 9 décembre 2016 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2016 NBQB 231 Décision frappée d’appel : 2016 NBBR 231 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: 2015 NBQB 179 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : 2015 NBBR 179 Appeal heard: June 26, 2018 Appel entendu : le 26 juin 2018 Judgment rendered: November 1, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 1 novembre 2018
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Larlee Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Nathan J.S. Gorham For the respondent : Michael S. Taylor, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Larlee Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelant : Nathan J.S. Gorham Pour l’intimée : Michael S. Taylor, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. LA COUR Rejette l’appel.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. [ 1 ] This is a companion case to Williams v. R. , 2018 NBCA 70 . It concerns principally the admission of judicially authorized intercepted communications and an allegation of a violation of s. 11(
d) of the Charter , among other issues. [ 2 ] Mr. Kindred and his co-accused, Mr. Williams, were convicted of numerous offences relating to their involvement in a drug trafficking enterprise. They were tried and sentenced together. They have each appealed their convictions. Mr. Williams’ appeal was dismissed. [ 3 ] The facts of this case are related in Williams . Mr. Kindred puts forth the same grounds of appeal as did Mr. Williams on his appeal against conviction. [ 4 ] For the same reasons as set out in the Williams case, I would dismiss the appeal. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par
LA JUGE QUIGG [ 5 ] Le présent arrêt est connexe à Williams c. R. , 2018 NBCA 70 . S’y posent notamment la question de l’admission de communications interceptées sur autorisation judiciaire et celle d’une violation de l’al. 11
d) de la Charte . [ 6 ] M. Kindred et son coaccusé, M. Williams, ont été déclarés coupables de nombreuses infractions liées à leur participation à une organisation engagée dans le trafic de drogue. Ils ont été jugés et condamnés ensemble. L’un et l’autre ont interjeté appel de leur déclaration de culpabilité. M. Williams a été débouté de son appel. [ 7 ] Les faits de l’affaire qui nous occupe sont énoncés dans Williams . Les moyens d’appel de M. Kindred sont identiques à ceux que M. Williams a invoqués dans l’appel formé contre sa déclaration de culpabilité. [ 8 ] Pour les mêmes motifs que dans l’arrêt Williams , je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel.