R. v. J.A.R., 2015 NBCA 73
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK M.K.R. APPELLANT 47-15-CA M.K.R. APPELANTE - and - - et - J.A.R. RESPONDENT J.A.R. INTIMÉ M.K.R. v. J.A.R., 2015 NBCA 73 M.K.R. c.
J.A.R., 2015 NBCA 73 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Deschênes The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Deschênes l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 17, 2015 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 17 avril 2015 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: September 29, 2015 Judgment rendered: December 10, 2015 Appel entendu : le 29 septembre 2015 Jugement rendu : le 10 décembre 2015 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Deschênes The Honourable Justice Richard Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Terence Richard Connelly For the respondent: Nadine M.L. Losier Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Deschênes l’honorable juge Richard Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Terence Richard Connelly Pour l’intimé : Nadine M.L.
Losier THE COURT The appeal is allowed in part. Arrears are assessed at $5,286. The appellant shall have costs in the amount of $2,000. LA COUR Accueille l’appel en partie. Le total de l’arriéré est de 5 286 $. Des dépens de 2 000 $ sont accordés à l’appelante. Le jugement de la Cour rendu par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction
[ 1 ] La question dont nous sommes saisis dans le présent appel est celle de savoir si le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a modifié rétroactivement une ordonnance d’entretien d’enfants avec effet à une date qui précédait la date d’entrée en vigueur de l’ordonnance d’entretien antérieure. M.K.R. appelle aussi des dépens adjugés. II. Contexte [ 2 ] Les parties se sont mariées en septembre 1991, se sont séparées en 2008 puis ont divorcé en 2010.
Une ordonnance par consentement prononcée le 14 septembre 2010 est venue trancher toutes les questions non résolues, dont celle des aliments que la mère, M.K.R., verserait au père, J.A.R., pour les deux enfants à charge. Cette ordonnance est devenue une ordonnance de mesures accessoires, rendue le 21 octobre 2011.
L’ordonnance par consentement constatait que l’emploi de M.K.R. cesserait à la fin de septembre 2010 et prescrivait qu’elle verserait pour les enfants des aliments basés sur les prestations d’assurance- emploi qu’elle devait recevoir, mais ne précisait pas quel serait le montant de la réduction. [ 3 ] En février 2011, M.K.R. a déposé un avis de motion par lequel elle faisait connaître qu’elle demanderait une ordonnance réduisant rétroactivement, à compter de la date où elle avait commencé à recevoir ses prestations d’assurance-emploi, les aliments qu’elle versait pour les enfants.
La motion a été entendue le 12 mai 2011. Le juge qui en était saisi a rendu un jugement qui entrait en vigueur ce jour-là, mais il n’a été signé que le 12 septembre 2011. Il a fait remarquer ce qui suit : [Original]
a) D’abord et avant tout, si ce n’était du fait que l’ordonnance par consentement, que les parties ont signée au mois de septembre l’an passé, fait référence à un rajustement prévu et prévisible, si ce n’était de ça, je rejetterais cette motion. [Transcription, 12 mai 2014, p. 1, lignes 5 à 9.] b) […] je ne me vois pas capable de rejeter la motion pour le redressement de la variation du soutien pour les enfants, car ç’a été conclu, ç’a été prévu, ç’a été consenti, ç’a été entendu, nonobstant le fait qu’on n’a pas une déclaration du revenu annuel de la requérante. [Transcription, 12 mai 2014, p. 1, lignes 13 à 18.] [ 4 ] Il en est résulté une réduction rétroactive des aliments que M.K.R. avait l’obligation de verser pour les enfants.
Cette réduction, établie d’après un revenu attribué, prenait effet le 1 er novembre 2010. [ 5 ] Le 20 juillet 2012, l’avocate de J.A.R. a demandé la communication des renseignements financiers de M.K.R. La date de cette demande serait vraisemblablement considérée, pour les besoins d’une modification rétroactive des aliments pour enfants, comme la date d’information réelle du parent débiteur. M.K.R. s’est conformée à la demande, et il a été déterminé que son revenu avait dépassé celui que le juge saisi de la motion lui avait attribué le 12 mai 2011.
Le 9 janvier 2015, J.A.R. a déposé un avis de motion indiquant qu’il demanderait une modification rétroactive des aliments pour enfants prenant effet le 1 er novembre 2010. La décision a été rendue le 17 avril 2015. Le juge saisi de la motion a ordonné une modification rétroactive des aliments pour enfants qui prenait effet le 1 er janvier 2011, cinq mois avant l’ordonnance rendue en mai. III. Moyens d’appel [ 6 ] L’appelante soutient que le juge saisi de la motion a commis les erreurs de droit suivantes :
• Il a prescrit, en ce qui concerne l’ordonnance datée du 12 septembre 2011, une modification rétroactive qui prenait effet le 1er janvier 2011. • Il n’a pas donné de motifs suffisants pour expliquer comment il avait établi la date de rétroactivité. • Il n’a pas procédé à l’analyse que la Cour suprême du Canada a requise des tribunaux dans D.B.S. c. S.R.G.; L.J.W. c. T.A.R.;Henry c. Henry; Hiemstra c.
Hiemstra, 2006 CSC 37, [2006] 2 R.C.S. 231. • Il a modifié l’ordonnance en vertu de la règle 62 des Règles de procédure du Nouveau-Brunswick. • Il n’a pas tenu compte des conditions de l’ordonnance par consentement qu’il avait signée le 14 septembre 2010, et il a manqué aux par. 15.1(5) et 17(6.2) de la
Loi sur le divorce, L.R.C. (1985), ch. 3 (2e suppl.). • Il a rendu une ordonnance d’entretien d’enfants rétroactive basée sur le revenu que M.K.R. avait gagné au cours d’une annéeprécédente, au lieu d’établir les aliments des enfants sur la base du revenu réel de la période visée. • Il a condamné M.K.R. aux dépens. IV. Cadre législatif [7] Une motion en modification rétroactive des aliments versés au profit d’enfants fait intervenir les principesénoncés au par. 17(4) de la
Loi sur le divorce. À ce sujet, la juge Athey, dans l’affaire J.L. c. J.M.1, 2010 NBQB 270 , 2010 NBBR 270, 363 R.N.-B. (2e) 183, a indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]L’article 17 […] autorise le tribunal à rendre une ordonnance modifiant, rétroactivement comme pour l’avenir, une ordonnancealimentaire pour enfants, s’il s’est assuré « qu’il est survenu un changement de situation, selon les lignes directrices applicables », depuisque l’ordonnance ou la dernière ordonnance modificative a été rendue.
Suivant l’al. 14a) des Lignes directrices, lorsque « tout ou partiedu montant » de l’ordonnance dont la modification est demandée « a été déterminé selon la table applicable, tout changement quiamènerait une modification de l’ordonnance » constitue un changement de situation. […] [par. 19] [8] Les articles 15 et 16 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants,DORS/97-175 précisent en quoi consiste le revenu :
(1) Subject to subsection (2), a spouse’s annual income is determined by the court in accordance with sections 16 to 20.
(2) Where both spouses agree in writing on the annual income of a spouse, the court may consider that amount to be the spouse’s income for the purposes of these Guidelines if the court thinks that the amount is reasonable having regard to the income information provided under
section 21. 16. Subject to sections 17 to 20, a spouse’s annual income is determined using the sources of income set out under the heading “Total income” in the T1 General form issued by the Canada Revenue Agency and is adjusted in accordance with
Schedule III. 15.
(1) Sous réserve du paragraphe (2), le revenu annuel de l’époux est déterminé par le tribunal conformément aux articles 16 à 20.
(2) Si les époux s’entendent, par écrit, sur le revenu annuel de l’un d’eux, le tribunal peut, s’il juge que ce montant est raisonnable compte tenu des renseignements fournis en application de l’article 21, considérer ce montant comme le revenu de l’époux pour l’application des présentes lignes directrices. 16. Sous réserve des articles 17 à 20, le revenu annuel de l’époux est déterminé au moyen des sources de revenu figurant sous la rubrique « Revenu total » dans la formule T1 Générale établie par l’Agence du revenu du Canada, et est rajusté conformément à l’annexe III. V.
Norme de contrôle [ 9 ] Comme l’écrivait notre Cour dans P.R.H. c. M.E.L ., 2009 NBCA 18 , 343 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 100 : La norme de contrôle qui s’applique dans le cadre d’un appel de cette nature a été examinée dans l’arrêt Van de Perre c. Edwards , [2001] 2 R.C.S.1014 , [2001] A.C.S. n o 60 (QL) , 2001 CSC 60 . La Cour suprême du Canada a énoncé une norme prescrivant une grande déférence envers les décisions des tribunaux de première instance dans des affaires qui ressortissent au droit de la famille.
L’intervention en appel n’est justifiée que s’il y a une erreur importante, une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve ou une erreur de droit. Elle a explicité en quoi consiste une erreur importante : Comme l’indiquent les arrêts Gordon et Hickey , la révision en appel exige l’indication d’une erreur importante. S’il existe une indication que le juge de première instance n’a pas pris en considération des facteurs ou des éléments de preuve pertinents, cela peut vouloir dire qu’il n’a pas dûment apprécié tous les facteurs.
Dans ce cas, la cour d’appel peut revoir la preuve produite au procès pour déterminer si le juge a négligé d’examiner ou mal interprété des éléments pertinents de la preuve.
Cela dit, je répète que des omissions dans les motifs ne signifieront pas nécessairement que la cour d’appel a compétence pour examiner la preuve entendue au procès. [par. 15] Le juge Bastarache, qui s’exprimait au nom de la Cour, a en outre précisé qu’« une omission ne constitue une erreur importante que si elle donne lieu à la conviction rationnelle que le juge de première instance doit avoir oublié, négligé d’examiner ou mal interprété la preuve de telle manière que sa conclusion en a été affectée » (par. 15). Voir les décisions de notre Cour sur l’application de cette norme de déférence : MacLean c.
MacLean (2004), 274 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 90 , [2004] A.N.-B. n o 363 (QL) , 2004 NBCA 75 , au par. 18 ; J.P. c. R.R. (2004), 278 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 351 , [2004] A.N.-B. n o 467 (QL) , 2004 NBCA 98 , au par. 27 ; Scott c. Scott (2004), 278 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 61 , [2004] A.N.-B. n o 468 (QL) , 2004 NBCA 99 , au par. 32 , et Boudreau c. Brun (2005), 293 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 126 , [2005] A.N.-B. n o 501 (QL) , 2005 NBCA 106 , au par. 5 . [par. 8 et 9] [ 10 ] On pourra se reporter également à l’arrêt Percy c.
Percy , 2015 NBCA 16 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 71 (QL) , où la juge Larlee, auteure des motifs de la Cour, a indiqué ce qui suit : La norme de contrôle à appliquer dans les affaires relevant du droit de la famille exige une grande retenue à l’égard de la décision du juge : Lang c. Lang , [2007] A.N.-B. n o 348 (C.A.) (QL) ; P.R.H. c. M.E.L. , 2009 NBCA 18 , [2009] A.N.-B. n o 85 (QL); MacDonald c. MacDonald , 2011 NBCA 25 , 372 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 179, autorisation de pourvoi refusée, [2011] C.S.C.R. n o 237 (QL); Smith c. Smith , 2011 NBCA 66 , 375 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 208; Grant c.
Grant , 2012 NBCA 101 , 397 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 254; et Simon c. Adey , 2012 NBCA 63 , 391 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 189.
La Cour d’appel ne peut juger une affaire de nouveau; elle ne peut infirmer une conclusion de fait du juge de première instance que si celle-ci résulte d’une erreur manifeste et dominante, et elle ne peut modifier une ordonnance discrétionnaire que si celle-ci est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve. [par. 3 et 4] Des principes semblables ont été énoncés dans l’arrêt Wills c.
Kennedy , 2015 NBCA 31 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 116 (QL) . [ 11 ] Ainsi, il sera justifié d’intervenir, en appel, s’il y a eu erreur importante, erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve ou erreur de droit. La Cour ne doit accorder aucune déférence à la décision rendue par le juge saisi de la motion lorsqu’elle se penche sur une question de droit, dont celle de la façon dont il faut interpréter les Lignes directrices lorsque l’on détermine à combien s’élève le revenu d’un parent aux fins du calcul de son obligation alimentaire à l’égard d’un enfant ( M.W.M. c.
H.L.M. , 2010 NBCA 86 , 366 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 142 , la juge Quigg, par. 11). VI. Obligation continuelle de fournir des renseignements [ 12 ] L’ordonnance signée le 12 septembre 2011 énonçait que l’ordonnance par consentement antérieure était modifiée rétroactivement, avec effet au 1 er novembre 2010, et attribuait un revenu à M.K.R. sur la foi de l’affirmation qu’elle touchait des prestations d’assurance-emploi. M.K.R. avait donc versé des paiements trop élevés après la fin de son emploi, et la Cour précisait qu’un crédit serait appliqué, de ce fait, aux paiements à venir (ss-al. 1a)(
v) de l’ordonnance). Il convient de noter que, à l’al. 1(
b) de l’ordonnance, le juge saisi de la motion exigeait des parties l’échange annuel de copies de leurs déclarations de revenus à compter du 1 er juin 2011. Cette obligation de communication de renseignements financiers est importante, parce que M.K.R. ne s’y est pas conformée, jusqu’à ce que l’avocate de J.A.R., par une lettre datée du 20 juillet 2012, la mette en demeure de s’en acquitter.
La communication obtenue, J.A.R. a découvert que le revenu de M.K.R. était supérieur à celui que le juge saisi de la motion lui avait attribué en mai 2011, après quoi il a déposé un avis de motion en vue d’obtenir une modification rétroactive des paiements. [ 13 ] Il existe une obligation continuelle de communiquer les changements qui surviennent dans le revenu. Ils doivent être communiqués sur ordonnance, sur demande de l’époux réceptionnaire, ou encore si les parties ont convenu d’une communication annuelle dans un contrat familial.
Le paragraphe 25(1) des Lignes directrices établit les obligations de communication de renseignements financiers du parent débiteur. [ 14 ] Ici, outre qu’une ordonnance exigeait l’échange annuel de renseignements sur le revenu, l’avocate de J.A.R. a demandé en due forme leur communication en juillet 2012. M.K.R. avait trente jours pour se conformer à la demande, à défaut de quoi J.A.R. pouvait demander réparation pour outrage au tribunal.
L’article 25 des Lignes directrices impose la production des documents listés à l’art. 21 pour les trois dernières années, dont les avis de cotisation et les déclarations de revenu (T1 Générale) dans leur intégralité. Il est clair, par conséquent, que le Parlement entendait que la communication soit continue pour garantir que les aliments versés au profit des enfants correspondent au revenu réel du parent débiteur, en conformité avec les tables des Lignes directrices . Il y a concordance entre la période de trois ans de l’al. 25(1)
a) et la décision que la Cour suprême du Canada a rendue dans D.B.S. et autres . Le juge Bastarache y écrivait qu’une ordonnance rétroactive d’entretien d’enfants peut prendre effet trois ans avant la date d’information réelle du parent débiteur. La Cour suprême a prévu des exceptions à cette règle, que les par. 101, 102, 105, 106 et 114 de l’arrêt formulent. Un retard du parent demandeur, un comportement répréhensible du parent débiteur, des difficultés occasionnées au parent débiteur par les arriérés et les situations du parent et des enfants peuvent justifier de faire exception à la règle. Dans Percy c.
Percy , la juge Larlee s’est reportée à ce qui précède avant d’arriver à cette conclusion : « En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion n’a commis aucune erreur lorsqu’il a ordonné que la pension alimentaire prenne effet rétroactivement à compter de la date à laquelle l’appelante a informé l’intimé qu’elle voulait que la pension alimentaire soit majorée » (par. 9). VII.
Pertinence éventuelle de la règle 62 [ 15 ] L’avocat de M.K.R. soutient que modifier rétroactivement l’ordonnance antérieure revenait, pour le juge qui avait prononcé cette ordonnance, à agir en appel en violation de la règle 62 des Règles de procédure du Nouveau- Brunswick. Je ne suis pas d’accord. D’une façon générale, l’ordonnance d’entretien d’un enfant n’est pas définitive, tant qu’il ne cesse pas d’être un enfant à charge.
De fait, les Lignes directrices envisagent que les changements de situation des parents et de l’enfant, au fil du temps, nécessitent la modification et le réexamen réguliers de l’ordonnance alimentaire rendue au profit de l’enfant. La
Loi sur le divorce habilite les tribunaux à modifier, tant rétroactivement que pour l’avenir, une ordonnance alimentaire pour enfants ( art. 17 ). En conséquence, l’octroi d’une ordonnance rétroactive ne signifie pas qu’un appel était interjeté de l’ordonnance originale, si l’ordonnance originale reposait sur une communication de renseignements financiers qui s’est révélée fausse ou inexacte. En l’espèce, l’ordonnance
rendue en mai 2011 modifiait l’ordonnance antérieure en réduisant le montant des aliments pour enfants sur la base d’un revenu de23 700 $ attribué à M.K.R. À ce moment-là, le juge saisi de la motion ne disposait pas du revenu réellement gagné par M.K.R. en 2011. La décision d’avril 2015, qui modifiait rétroactivement les aliments pour enfants avec effet au 1er janvier 2011, reposait sur des chiffresréels, produits par M.K.R., qui dévoilaient un revenu supérieur. Il était de la compétence et de la responsabilité du juge saisi de la motionde rajuster les aliments, afin qu’ils se conforment aux Lignes directrices.
L’argument voulant qu’il s’ensuive un appel interjeté del’ordonnance antérieure est sans fondement. Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. VIII. Force obligatoire de l’ordonnance par consentement [16] L’arrêt G. (L.) c. B. (G.), (SCC), [1995] 3 R.C.S. 370, [1995] A.C.S. no 72(QL), est la décision la plus récente de la Cour suprême sur la force obligatoire des ordonnances par consentement qui disposent sur lesaliments d’enfants et d’époux. Sur le fondement du critère établi dans Willick c.
Willick, (SCC), [1994] 3 R.C.S. 670, [1994] A.C.S. no 94 (QL), la Cour a conclu qu’il doit s’être produit un changement, au sens du par. 17(4) de la
Loi sur le divorce, quisoit suffisant pour justifier une modification. Ce critère s’applique mutatis mutandis, que l’ordonnance alimentaire visée par la demandede modification ait été prononcée au profit d’un enfant ou d’un époux. La suffisance du changement établie, il faut ensuite déterminerl’étendue de la modification et, pour ce faire, il est généralement nécessaire de procéder à une évaluation de l’ensemble de la situationprésente des parties (Willick, par. 100 (QL)).
Il y a lieu de « présumer de la validité » de l’ordonnance, mais cette présomption n’est pasabsolue (D.B.S., par. 66). [17] Le juge Green s’est penché sur la force obligatoire des ordonnances par consentement dans R.S.L. c. S.I.L., 2013 NBCA 23, 402 R.N.-B. (2e) 199. Les parties avaient consenti à une ordonnance qui était ensuite devenue, commeelle l’est devenue en l’espèce, l’ordonnance de mesures accessoires. Elle tranchait toutes les questions que les parties n’avaient pasrésolues, y compris celle des aliments pour enfants.
Trois ans plus tard, le père a fait connaître, par avis de motion, qu’il demanderait lamodification des paiements d’égalisation que la répartition des biens lui imposait, ainsi qu’une réduction des aliments qu’il versait auprofit des enfants, parce que son revenu était passé de 50 000 $ à 33 900 $ par année. Le juge saisi de la motion a réduit les alimentsversés au profit des enfants, mais n’a pas modifié les paiements d’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux.
Le juge Green a rejeté l’appel quel’époux interjetait de la décision de ne pas réduire les paiements d’égalisation, et confirmé la décision de modifier les aliments pourenfants.
Il a affirmé que, d’une façon générale, une compétence inhérente habilite la Cour à modifier rétroactivement une ordonnanced’entretien d’enfants lorsque la situation des parties ou des enfants visés par l’ordonnance change après coup. [18] En l’espèce, il s’est produit un changement imprévisible dans le revenu de M.K.R. après lasignature de l’ordonnance par consentement, en 2010, puis en raison de son déménagement et de l’obtention d’un nouvel emploi en2011.
Le critère préliminaire exigeant un changement important, énoncé dans Willick et dans G. (L.), était donc rempli, et la modificationrétroactive de l’ordonnance de mai 2011 répondait aux objectifs tant de la
Loi sur le divorce que des Lignes directrices. Dans lescirconstances, ni l’une ni l’autre des deux ordonnances antérieures n’obligeait la Cour. [19] On sait que les aliments sont un droit de l’enfant (D.B.S., par. 167). Une ordonnance n’est pasun rempart derrière lequel un parent peut s’abriter pour échapper au versement de la prestation alimentaire pour enfants appropriée.
Letribunal qui est appelé à prononcer une ordonnance d’entretien d’enfants doit s’assurer que les renseignements financiers communiquéssont appropriés et suffisants, afin que le montant imposé s’inscrive dans la fourchette de prestations voulue. Parfois, le tribunal attribueun revenu au parent débiteur (art. 19 des Lignes directrices). En l’espèce, lorsque l’ordonnance par consentement originale a été soumiseà la signature, en 2010, le juge a relevé que la fin de l’emploi de M.K.R. était imminente. Son ordonnance envisageait cet événement.
En2011, lorsqu’il a rendu l’ordonnance modificative, le juge a attribué à M.K.R. un revenu basé sur la réception de prestations d’assurance-emploi, mais il l’a astreinte à l’obligation supplémentaire de transmettre ses renseignements sur le revenu à J.A.R. au plus tard le 1er juin 2011. Cette obligation de communication était continue. Le revenu attribué pour les besoins de l’ordonnance de mai 2011 étaitsans aucun doute erroné, étant donné que M.K.R. avait trouvé du travail en 2011.
La Cour a signé cette ordonnance en septembre 2011 etM.K.R. devait savoir, à ce moment-là, que son revenu de cette année-là serait de plus de 23 700 $. De fait, ses revenus ont été de32 057 $ en 2011, de 39 000 $ en 2012 et de 42 066 $ en 2013. [20] Ce n’est qu’après avoir demandé la communication de renseignements financiers, en juillet2012, que J.A.R. a découvert que M.K.R. avait gagné un revenu supérieur à celui que lui avait attribué le juge saisi de la motion en mai2011. Se cacher derrière cette ordonnance est déloyal.
Je conclus que le défaut de M.K.R. de communiquer des renseignements sur sonrevenu, comme la Cour le lui avait ordonné, constitue un comportement répréhensible au sens que le juge Bastarache a donné à cetteexpression dans D.B.S., et que le juge saisi de la motion avait compétence pour remonter jusqu’à avant l’ordonnance de mai 2011 etprescrire une modification rétroactive qui prendrait effet au début de l’année. Comme la juge Abella l’a écrit, à propos du parentdébiteur, dans D.B.S. : « Il connaît la teneur de son obligation et sait à quel moment elle naît et à quel moment elle peut changer.
Il saitque lorsque sa capacité de payer s’accroît, la loi présume que le montant auquel a droit l’enfant s’accroît également » (par. 166). « Laprudence, tout comme la saine gestion financière, commande une information complète. Le parent débiteur qui décide de ne pas signalerla modification de la somme à laquelle a droit son enfant à charge ne saurait prétendre que l’exécution subséquente de son obligationalimentaire, rétroactivement à la date du changement, est allée à l’encontre de ses attentes légitimes » (par. 168). La Cour suprême a
d’ailleurs indiqué que le tribunal doit interpréter largement la notion de comportement répréhensible (par. 106). IX. Compétence en matière de modification rétroactive et suffisance des motifs [21] M.K.R. soutient que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur, du fait qu’il n’a pas énoncé de motifs expliquant pourquoi il avait accordé une modification des aliments pour enfants prenant effet le 1er janvier 2011. Dans J.H. c. T.H., 2014 NBCA 52, 422 R.N.-B. (2e) 388, notre Cour s’est reportée à P.R.H. c.
M.E.L. : Les règles de droit relatives à l’insuffisance des motifs dans une décision de la Division de la famille de la Cour du Banc de la Reine ontété examinées dans l’arrêt P.R.H. c. M.E.L. : […] Dans l’arrêt Young c. Young (2003), (ON CA), 63 O.R. (3d) 112 (C.A.), [2003] O.J. No. 67 (QL), le juge d’appelLaskin a fait une mise en garde contre le prononcé de motifs en forme de conclusions dans les affaires ressortissant au droit de la famille.Il a statué que les trois raisons principales militant en faveur de la motivation des décisions qui sont mentionnées dans l’arrêt R. c.
Sheppard, [2002] 1 R.C.S. 869, [2002] A.C.S. no 30 (QL), 2002 CSC 26, s’appliquaient aussi en matière de droit de la famille. Cestrois raisons principales sont (1) la confiance du public dans l’administration de la justice, (2) l’importance d’informer la
partie perdantedes raisons pour lesquelles elle n’a pas eu gain de cause et (3) la nécessité de permettre à cette
partie d’exercer valablement son droitd’appel. Notre Cour d’appel a elle aussi réaffirmé l’importance de motifs qui soient suffisants dans les arrêts A.M.K.H. c. K.A.M. (2003), 259 R.N.-B. (2e) 291, [2003] A.N.-B. no 171 (QL), 2003 NBCA 33 et Blanchard c. Légère, [2009] A.N.-B. no 2 (QL), 2009 NBCA 2.Voir aussi l’arrêt Petrowski c. Waskul (2003), 173 Man. R. (2d) 237, [2003] M.J. No. 151 (QL), 2003 MBCA 65, au par. 13. Dans l’arrêt R. c.
Walker, [2008] A.C.S. no 34 (QL), 2008 CSC 34, la Cour a insisté sur le fait que les parties ont le droit de savoirpourquoi le juge en est arrivé à sa décision et que les motifs donnés doivent être suffisants pour permettre une révision en appel.Toutefois, le tribunal d’appel n’est pas habilité à intervenir simplement parce qu’il estime que le tribunal de première instance s’est malexprimé.
La Cour a statué que les motifs sont suffisants s’ils répondent aux questions en litige et aux principaux arguments des parties.Leur suffisance doit être mesurée d’après la réponse qu’ils apportent aux éléments essentiels du litige. Les questions en litige doivent êtreexaminées et tranchées et le fondement de la décision doit être clair. La décision la plus récente de la Cour suprême concernant la question des motifs de jugement suffisants est l’arrêt R. c.
R.E.M., [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3, [2008] A.C.S. no 52 (QL), 2008 CSC 51, dans lequel la juge McLachlin, juge en chef du Canada, préconise une démarchefonctionnelle et contextuelle pour l’appréciation du caractère suffisant des motifs. Le tribunal d’appel qui examine les motifs pourdéterminer s’ils sont suffisants doit les considérer globalement, dans le contexte de la preuve présentée, des arguments invoqués et duprocès, en tenant compte des buts ou des fonctions de l’expression des motifs.
Les motifs ont pour fonction de dire aux parties viséespourquoi la décision a été prise, de rendre compte devant le public et de permettre un examen efficace en appel. Les motifs doiventindiquer le raisonnement que le juge a suivi à partir de la preuve pour en arriver aux conclusions factuelles puis aux conclusions de droit.Notre Cour a suivi cette démarche dans l’arrêt Nouveau-Brunswick (ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires) c.
T.L.M. (tutrice d’instance de), [2009] A.N.-B. no 19 (QL), 2009 NBCA 8, où le juge d’appel Richard examine la question des principesrégissant le caractère suffisant ou non des motifs qui sont applicables en matière de protection de l’enfance. [par. 10 à 13] [par. 4] [Passage souligné dans J.H. c. T.H.] [22] En d’autres termes, un tribunal d’appel interviendra si les motifs donnés n’expliquent pascomment le juge est arrivé à sa décision, de manière à permettre une révision éclairée en appel. Le simple fait de mal s’exprimer nejustifiera pas une révision en appel.
En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion a donné des motifs suffisants pour indiquer pourquoi il avait modifié son ordonnance antérieure. Cette modification des aliments pour enfants prenait effet le 1er janvier 2011, premier jour de l’année où, le 1er juin au plus tard, M.K.R. était tenue de produire une attestation de revenu. Le rajustement ordonné témoigne de pragmatisme etde sens commun.
Procéder ainsi s’accordait avec D.B.S. (par. 123). [23] J’ai déterminé précédemment que M.K.R. s’était livrée à un comportement répréhensible en netransmettant pas ses renseignements financiers en juin 2011, comme la Cour l’avait ordonné. Il était de la compétence du juge saisi de lamotion de rendre une ordonnance rétroactive qui prendrait effet à une date précédant celle de l’ordonnance antérieure. Les motifs étaientsuffisamment clairs pour permettre une révision en appel. Je suis d’avis que le parent débiteur qui sait que son revenu a augmenté –
augmentation dont il peut raisonnablement entrevoir qu’elle est susceptible de modifier le montant de la pension alimentaire versée pourl’enfant – et qui ne le signale pas à l’autre parent devrait s’attendre à une modification rétroactive de l’ordonnance (D.B.S., par. 106). Dans Simon c. Adey, 2012 NBCA 63, 391 R.N.-B. (2e) 189, le juge Green a cité un énoncé de principe issu de D.B.S. : À l’appui du moyen qu’il avance, l’appelant invoque l’arrêt prononcé par la Cour suprême du Canada dans D.B.S. c. S.R.G.; L.J.W. c.T.A.R.; Henry c. Henry; Hiemstra c. Hiemstra, 2006 CSC 37, [2006] 2 R.C.S. 231.
Extrait des motifs du juge Bastarache : En résumé, l’approche qui convient est donc la suivante. La certitude du parent débiteur pèse dans la balance tant qu’elle est légitime.Dans la plupart des cas, elle cesse de l’être lorsque le parent créancier aborde le sujet, et ce, jusqu’à concurrence des trois dernièresannées. Toutefois, afin que la date de rétroactivité présumée ne soit pas antérieure à la date de l’information réelle, le parent débiteur doitagir de manière responsable en signalant au parent créancier le changement important dans sa situation.
S’il ne le fait pas et, de ce fait, secomporte de manière répréhensible, je ne vois aucune raison de respecter sa certitude au-delà de la date du changement important. Leparent débiteur ne devrait pas être admis à profiter de son comportement fautif. [par. 125] [par. 19] [24] Je ferai observer, par parenthèse, qu’une ordonnance d’entretien d’enfants n’est jamaisvéritablement rétroactive de toute façon, parce que la Loi oblige le parent débiteur à verser les aliments prescrits par les Lignesdirectrices.
La juge Abella a souscrit à ce principe dans D.B.S. : « Je conviens avec mon collègue que les ordonnances considérées enl’espèce ne sont pas véritablement “rétroactives”. Elles indemnisent plutôt pour le non-respect d’une obligation légale » (par. 160). Onpourra se reporter aussi à MacMinn c. MacMinn, (AB CA), [1995] A.J. No. 893 (C.A.) (QL), par. 15. X. Revenu [25] Dans Scott c.
Scott, 2004 NBCA 99, 278 R.N.-B. (2e) 61, le juge Richard a écrit ce qui suit : Les principes directeurs qui régissent la détermination du revenu en ce qui concerne les aliments à verser au profit d’un enfant sonténoncés aux articles 16 à 20 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants sous réserve de la règled’interprétation énoncée au paragraphe 2(3) selon laquelle cette détermination se fait « selon les renseignements les plus à jour ».[par. 35] [26] L’arrêt Scott c. Scott a été mentionné dans les décisions suivantes : Reid c.
Gillingham, 2015 NBCA 27, [2015] A.N.-B. no 99 (QL); B.P. c. A.T., 2014 NBCA 51, 423 R.N.-B. (2e) 99; S.L.B. c. P.J.O., 2013 NBCA 52, 408 R.N.-B. (2e) 235; T.L. c. A.C., 2013 NBCA 24, 402 R.N.-B. (2e) 373; Brooks c. Brooks, 2012 NBQB 401 , 2012 NBBR 401, 397 R.N.-B. (2e) 361; R.F.T. c. K.L.N., 2012 NBBR 343, [2012] A.N.-B. no 499 (QL); Trevors c.
Jenkins, 2011 NBCA 61, 375 R.N.-B. (2e) 293. [27] Il est clair que le revenu de l’année précédente ne peut pas être utilisé pour déterminer lemontant des aliments pour enfants lorsque le revenu gagné par le débiteur alimentaire dans l’année en cours est connu (par. 2(3) desLignes directrices).
Le revenu de l’année en cours doit être utilisé, à moins qu’il ne faille établir la moyenne des revenus des trois annéesprécédentes, comme le prévoient les Lignes directrices (par. 17(1)), ou que le tribunal attribue un revenu (art. 19). [28] En avril 2015, le juge saisi de la motion a ordonné à M.K.R. de verser, sur la base de son revenu de 2010, des mensualités de 546 $ pour l’entretien des deux enfants du 1er janvier 2011 au 31 décembre 2011.
C’était une erreur. [29] Le juge saisi de la motion a ordonné à M.K.R de verser, pour l’entretien des deux enfants du 1er janvier 2012 au 31 décembre 2012, des mensualités de 450 $ établies d’après son revenu de 2011. C’était une erreur. [30] Le juge saisi de la motion a ordonné à M.K.R. de verser des mensualités de 552 $, pour l’entretien des deux enfants du 1er janvier 2013 au 30 juin 2013, sur la base de son revenu de 2012. C’était une erreur. Il a ordonné quesoient versés, sur la base du revenu de 2012 de M.K.R., 318 $ par mois pour l’entretien d’un seul des enfants à compter du 1er juillet 2013.
C’était une erreur. Les parties ont convenu que, pour ce qui concerne les aliments, M. n’était plus un enfant à charge le
1er juillet 2013. XI. Substitution d’un jugement à celui du juge saisi de la motion [31] Le juge saisi de la motion aurait dû modifier rétroactivement les aliments pour enfants enétablissant les mensualités de chaque année d’après le revenu gagné par M.K.R. dans l’année en cours. La règle 62.21(1) autorise la Courd’appel à rendre toute décision ou ordonnance qui aurait dû être rendue (P.R.H. c. M.E.L., par. 30).
La présente instance a donné lieu àplusieurs comparutions, ce qui a entraîné des coûts supplémentaires et des retards, et je dispose de suffisamment d’information pourpouvoir rendre la décision qui aurait dû être rendue en première instance. Rien n’interdit, donc, que notre Cour prenne la décision quiaurait dû être prise (J.H. c. T.H., par. 9 à 16). [32] L’ordonnance du 12 mai 2011 attribuait à M.K.R. un revenu de 23 700 $ par année et prescrivaitle versement de mensualités de 344 $, modification prenant effet en novembre 2010.
Il faudra créditer M.K.R. des sommes qu’elle a pupayer en trop du 2 novembre 2010 au 31 décembre 2010, crédits qu’inscrira le Service des ordonnances de soutien familial. Il est fait étatcomme suit de ses revenus réels : 1) 2011 : 32 057 $; 2) 2012 : 39 000 $; 3) 2013 : 42 066 $. [33] Pendant l’année civile 2011, M.K.R. aurait dû verser des mensualités de 449 $ du 1er janvier au31 décembre, soit 5 388 $. À supposer qu’elle ait acquitté en entier les aliments que l’ordonnance antérieure lui imposait pour cetteannée-là, elle devrait être créditée de 4 128 $. L’arriéré de 2011 est donc de 1 260 $.
Pendant l’année civile 2012, M.K.R. aurait normalement versé des mensualités de 552 $ du 1er janvier au 31 décembre, soit 6 624 $ au total. À supposer qu’elle ait acquitté lesaliments que l’ordonnance antérieure lui imposait pour cette année-là, elle devrait être créditée de 4 128 $. L’arriéré de 2012 est de 2 496 $. Pendant l’année civile 2013, M.K.R. aurait ordinairement versé des mensualités de 596 $ au 1er janvier au 30 juin, soit 3 576 $.À supposer qu’elle ait acquitté les aliments que l’ordonnance antérieure lui imposait, elle devrait être créditée de 2 064 $. Au 30 juin 2013, l’arriéré est donc de 1 512 $.
Du 1er juillet 2013 au 31 décembre 2013, M.K.R. aurait dû verser des mensualités de 347 $pour un seul enfant, soit 2 082 $ au total. À supposer qu’elle ait acquitté en entier les aliments que l’ordonnance antérieure lui imposait, elle serait créditée de 2 064 $. L’arriéré accumulé du 1er juillet 2013 au 31 décembre 2013 est de 18 $. [34] Le total de l’arriéré est de 5 286 $ au 31 décembre 2013. XII. Dépens [35] La règle 59 des Règles de procédure du Nouveau-Brunswick prévoit les critères que le tribunal devrait prendre en considération lorsqu’il statue sur les dépens. Dans D.E. c.
L.E., 2014 NBCA 67, [2014] A.N.-B. no 289 (QL), la jugeLarlee écrivait ce qui suit : Aux termes de la règle 59 des Règles de procédure, les dépens afférents à une instance sont à la discrétion de la Cour, laquelle peutdéterminer par qui et dans quelle mesure ils seront payés. Je réitère les observations qu’a faites le juge d’appel Drapeau (tel était alorsson titre) dans l’arrêt Acadia Marble, Tile & Terrazzo Ltd. c.
Oromocto Property Developments Ltd. (1998), (NB CA), 205 R.N.-B. (2e) 358, [1998] A.N.-B. no 412 (C.A.) (QL), sur la question de l’attribution de dépens à l’issue de la cause : [TRADUCTION] Il ne fait aucun doute que, lorsque le juge du procès a exercé son pouvoir discrétionnaire relativement aux dépens, notre Courn’interviendra pas sauf si elle est convaincue que le juge a commis une erreur manifeste en exerçant ce pouvoir. Voir Williams et al. c. Saint John, New Brunswick and Chubb Industries Ltd. (1985), (NB CA), 66 R.N.-B. (2e) 10 (C.A.). […] [par. 34] La
partie qui obtient gain de cause a ordinairement droit à ses dépens, bien que le juge puisse exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire en
refusant de les lui accorder : Flieger c. Adams , 2012 NBCA 39 , 387 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 322 . [par. 23 et 24] [ 36 ] En d’autres termes, à moins que notre Cour ne soit convaincue que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur dans l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire, une intervention en appel n’est pas justifiée. Le juge Turnbull a rappelé ce principe au par. 3 de Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc. (c.o.b. PCS Cassidy Lake Co.) c. DuPont Canada Inc. , [2008] A.N.- B. n o 15 (C.A.) (QL) . On pourra se reporter également à L.T.G. c.
C.J.G. , 2011 NBCA 12 , 369 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 202 . [ 37 ] Ici, le juge saisi de la motion a exercé le pouvoir inhérent qui l’habilitait à traiter de la question des dépens indépendamment des Règles . Je suis d’avis de ne pas intervenir dans l’exercice de ce pouvoir discrétionnaire, vu les faits de l’espèce. XIII. Dispositif [ 38 ] Je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel en partie, en l’occurrence au
chapitre des arriérés des aliments pour enfants des années 2011, 2012 et 2013. Une modification rétroactive des aliments pour enfants est ordonnée et prend effet le 1 er janvier 2011. L’appelante a droit aux dépens de l’appel, que je fixe à 2 000 $. BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.C.A. NOUS SOUSCRIVONS À L’AVIS. ALEXANDRE DESCHÊNES, j.c.a. J.C. MARC RICHARD, j.c.a. English version of the judgment of the Court delivered by
BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction [1] The issue before us on this appeal is whether a motion judge erred when he retroactively varied an existing child support order to a date which preceded the effective date of that order. M.K.R. also appeals the costs award. II. Background [2] The parties were married in September 1991, they separated in 2008, and divorced in 2010. A consent order issued on September 14, 2010, resolving all outstanding matters, including the amount of child support the mother, M.K.R. would pay to the father, J.A.R., for the two dependent children.
This order later became an order for corollary relief which issued on October 21, 2011. The consent order acknowledged M.K.R.’s employment was terminating at the end of September 2010, and she would pay child support based on her anticipated employment insurance benefits; however, the consent order did not stipulate what the amount of the reduction would be. [3] In February 2011, M.K.R. filed a Notice of Motion seeking an order retroactively reducing her child support payments to the date she started receiving employment insurance benefits.
The motion was heard on May 12, 2011, and a decision issued effective that day, although the order was not signed until September 12, 2011. In his decision, the motion judge observed the following: [TRANSLATION]
a) First and foremost, if it wasn’t for the fact that the consent order, which the parties signed in September of last year, refers to an anticipated and expected variation, if it wasn’t for that, I would dismiss the motion. [Transcript, May 12, 2014, p. 1, lines 5-9]
b) I can’t see how I could dismiss the motion for variation of the child support order as it was agreed to, it was anticipated, it was consented to, it was agreed upon, and this, regardless of the fact that we do not have the petitioner’s annual income tax return. [Transcript, May 12, 2014, p. 1, lines 13-18] [4] The result was a retroactive reduction in M.K.R.’s obligation to pay child support, to November 1, 2010, based on an imputed level of income. [5] On July 20, 2012, legal counsel requested financial disclosure from M.K.R.
This would be considered the effective date of notice for the purpose of retroactively assessing the amount of child support. M.K.R. complied, and it was determined her income exceeded that which was imputed by the motion judge on May 12, 2011. J.A.R. filed a Notice of Motion on January 9, 2015, seeking a retroactive variation of child support to November 1, 2010. The decision was rendered on April 17, 2015. The motion judge retroactively varied the child support payments to January 1, 2011, a period of five months predating the order which issued in May. III.
Grounds of Appeal [6] The appellant submits the motion judge erred in law in the following respects: • by varying the order dated September 12, 2011, retroactively to January 1, 2011; • by failing to provide sufficient reasons to explain how he determined the date of retroactivity;
• by failing to conduct the analysis required by the Supreme Court in D.B.S. v. S.R.G. ; L.J.W. v. T.A.R. ; Henry v. Henry ; Hiemstra v.
Hiemstra , 2006 SCC 37 , [2006] 2 S.C.R. 231 ; • by varying the order pursuant to Rule 62 of the New Brunswick Rules of Court ; • by not considering the terms of the consent order he signed on September 14, 2010, contrary to sections 15.1(5) and 17(6.2) of the Divorce Act , R.S.C. 1985, c.3 (2nd Supp.); • by making a retroactive order for child support based on M.K.R.’s income from a prior year, rather than assessing the child support based on the actual income for the period in question; and • by ordering costs against M.K.R. IV.
Statutory Framework [7] A motion to retroactively vary child support payments engages the principles set out in s. 17(4) of the Divorce Act . On this subject, Athey J., in J.L. v. J.M.1 , 2010 NBQB 270 , 363 N.B.R. (2d) 183 , stated :
Section 17 […] authorizes a court to make an order varying a child support order, both retroactively and prospectively, if the court is satisfied that “a change of circumstances as provided for in the applicable guidelines has occurred” since the order or last variation order was made. Where the order sought to be varied “includes a determination made in accordance with the applicable table any change in circumstance that would result in a different child support order” constitutes a change in circumstances under
Section 14(
a) of the Guidelines . […] [para. 19] [8] The definition of income is found in ss. 15 and 16 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines, SOR/97-175, as follows: 15.
(1) Subject to subsection (2), a spouse’s annual income is determined by the court in accordance with sections 16 to 20 .
(2) Where both spouses agree in writing on the annual income of a spouse, the court may consider that amount to be the spouse’s income for the purposes of these Guidelines if the court thinks that the amount is reasonable having regard to the income information provided under
section 21. 16. Subject to sections 17 to 20 , a spouse’s annual income is determined using the sources of income set out under the heading “Total income” in the T1 General form issued by the Canada Revenue Agency and is adjusted in accordance with
Schedule III. 15.
(1) Sous réserve du paragraphe (2), le revenu annuel de l’époux est déterminé par le tribunal conformément aux articles 16 à 20 .
(2) Si les époux s’entendent, par écrit, sur le revenu annuel de l’un d’eux, le tribunal peut, s’il juge que ce montant est raisonnable compte tenu des renseignements fournis en application de l’article 21, considérer ce montant comme le revenu de l’époux pour l’application des présentes lignes directrices. 16. Sous réserve des articles 17 à 20 , le revenu annuel de l’époux est déterminé au moyen des sources de revenu figurant sous la rubrique « Revenu total » dans la formule T1 Générale établie par l’Agence du revenu du Canada, et est rajusté conformément à l’annexe III. V. Standard of Review
[9] As stated by this Court in P.R.H. v. M.E.L . , 2009 NBCA 18 , 343 N.B.R. (2d) 100 : The appropriate standard of review to be applied in an appeal of this nature is discussed in Van de Perre v. Edwards , [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014 , [2001] S.C.J. No. 60 (QL) , 2001 SCC 60 . The Supreme Court of Canada set out a standard of considerable deference for the decisions of trial courts in cases of family law. Intervention on appeal requires that there have been a material error, a serious misapprehension of the evidence, or an error of law.
A material error is further explained: As indicated in both Gordon and Hickey , the approach to appellate review requires an indication of a material error. If there is an indication that the trial judge did not consider relevant factors or evidence, this might indicate that he did not properly weigh all of the factors. In such a case, an appellate court may review the evidence proffered at trial to determine if the trial judge ignored or misdirected himself with respect to relevant evidence.
This being said, I repeat that omissions in the reasons will not necessarily mean that the appellate court has jurisdiction to review the evidence heard at trial. [para. 15] Speaking for the Court, Bastarache J. further clarified that "an omission is only a material error if it gives rise to the reasoned belief that the trial judge must have forgotten, ignored or misconceived the evidence in a way that affected his conclusion" (para. 15). See this Court's decisions on the application of the deferential standard: MacLean v. MacLean (2004), 274 N.B.R. (2d) 90 , [2004] N.B.J.
No. 363 (QL) , 2004 NBCA 75 at para. 18 ; J.P. v. R.R. (2004), 278 N.B.R. (2d) 351 , [2004] N.B.J. No. 467 (QL) , 2004 NBCA 98 at para. 27 ; Scott v. Scott (2004), 278 N.B.R. (2d) 61 , [2004] N.B.J. No. 468 (QL) , 2004 NBCA 99 at para. 32 and Boudreau v. Brun (2005), 293 N.B.R. (2d) 126 , [2005] N.B.J. No. 501 (QL) , 2005 NBCA 106 at para. 5 . [paras. 8-9] [10] See also Percy v. Percy , 2015 NBCA 16 , [2015] N.B.J. No. 71 (QL) , where Larlee J.A., writing for the Court, states: The standard of review to be followed in family matters dictates that the judge's decision will be given considerable deference: Lang v.
Lang , [2007] N.B.J. No. 348 (C.A.) (QL) ; P.R.H. v. M.E.L. , 2009 NBCA 18 , [2009] N.B.J. No. 77 (QL); MacDonald v. MacDonald , 2011 NBCA 25 , 372 N.B.R. (2d) 179, leave to appeal refused [2011] S.C.C.A. No. 237 (QL); Smith v. Smith , 2011 NBCA 66 , 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208; Grant v. Grant , 2012 NBCA 101 , 397 N.B.R. (2d) 254; and Simon v. Adey , 2012 NBCA 63 , 391 N.B.R. (2d) 189.
The Court of Appeal cannot re-try a case; it may only overturn a trial judge's finding of fact if it is the result of a palpable and overriding error, and may only interfere with a discretionary order if it is founded upon an error of law, an error in the application of the governing principles or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence. [paras. 3-4] Similar principles were iterated in Wills v. Kennedy , 2015 NBCA 31 , [2015] N.B.J.
No. 116 (QL) . [11] Thus, appellate intervention will be justified if there has been a material error, a serious misapprehension of the evidence, or an error of law. No deference is owed to the motion judge’s decision when reviewing a question of law, including proper
interpretation of the Guidelines when determining a parent’s income for the calculation of child support: M.W.M. v. H.L.M. , 2010 NBCA 86 , 366 N.B.R. (2d) 142 , per Quigg J.A. at para. 11. VI. Continuing Obligation to Provide Income Information [12] The court order signed September 12, 2011, varied the prior consent order retroactively to November 1, 2010, and imputed income to M.K.R. based on her representations she was receiving employment insurance benefits. As a result, she overpaid following the termination of her employment, and the Court noted she would receive a credit towards future payments as a result (paragraph 1(a)(
v) of the court order). Noteworthy, in paragraph 1(
b) of the order, is the fact the motion judge required the parties to exchange copies of their income tax returns every year commencing June 1, 2011. This financial disclosure obligation is significant, as M.K.R. failed to comply until counsel for J.A.R. made a formal demand by letter dated July 20, 2012.
Following disclosure, J.A.R. discovered M.K.R.’s income was higher than that which was imputed to her by the motion judge in May 2011, and he filed a Notice of Motion to vary the payments retroactively. [13] There is a continuing obligation to disclose changes in income, either by court order or on the request of the recipient spouse, or if annual disclosure is agreed between the parties in a Domestic Contract. Section 25(1) of the Guidelines establishes the financial disclosure obligations of the payor parent.
[14] In this case, not only was there a court order requiring an annual exchange of income information, counsel forJ.A.R. made a formal request for disclosure in July, 2012. M.K.R. had 30 days thereafter in which to comply, failing which, J.A.R. couldhave pursued an application for contempt relief.
Section 25 of the Guidelines requires the production of the documents listed in s. 21 forthe previous three years. These include full T1 General Income Tax Returns and Notices of Assessment. Thus, it is clear Parliamentintended disclosure would be ongoing to ensure child support payments reflect the actual income of the payor parent, in accordance withthe Guidelines tables.
The three year period referred to in s. 25(1)(a), is consistent with the Supreme Court’s decision in D.B.S. et al.Bastarache, J. affirmed child support orders can be made retroactively three years from the date effective notice of change has been givento the payor parent. The Supreme Court allowed for exceptions to this rule, which are articulated in paras. 101, 102, 105, 106, and 114 ofthe decision.
The exceptions include delay on the part of the seeking parent, blameworthy conduct on the part of the payor parent,hardship to the payor parent as a result of the arrears, and the circumstances of the parent and the children. In Percy v. Percy, Larlee J.A.iterated the above when she stated: “In this case, the motion judge made no error in ordering the commencement of retroactive childsupport on the date the appellant gave the respondent effective notice that she wanted child support increased” (para. 9). VII.
Relevance of Rule 62, if any [15] Counsel for M.K.R. submits that a retroactive variation of the previous order was tantamount to an appeal ofthat order by the same judge who issued it, in violation of Rule 62 of the New Brunswick Rules of Court. I disagree. Generally, childsupport orders are never final until such time as the child no longer qualifies as a dependent, or as a child of the marriage. In fact, theGuidelines contemplate regular reviews and variations of child support orders as the circumstances of the parents and the child changewith time.
The Divorce Act grants statutory jurisdiction to vary a child support order both prospectively and retroactively (s. 17). Thus, aretroactive order is not an appeal of the original order if the original order was based on financial disclosure later found to be false orinaccurate. In this case, the order which issued in May 2011 varied the previous order by reducing the amount of child support based onan imputed income of $23,700. The motion judge did not have M.K.R.’s actual 2011 income at the time.
The decision in April 2015,which retroactively varied the child support to January 1, 2011, was based on actual income figures produced by M.K.R. which discloseda higher level of income. The motion judge had the authority and the responsibility to adjust the level of child support to conform withthe Guidelines. The submission this constitutes an appeal of the previous order has no merit. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. VIII. Binding Effect of the Consent Order [16] G. (L.) v. B. (G.), (SCC), [1995] 3 S.C.R. 370, [1995] S.C.J.
No. 72 (QL), is the most recentpronouncement by the Supreme Court on the binding effect of consent orders for child and spousal support. Relying on the testestablished in Willick v. Willick, (SCC), [1994] 3 S.C.R. 670, [1994] S.C.J. No. 94 (QL), the Court found there must be achange as defined in s. 17(4) of the Divorce Act sufficient to support a variation. The test applies mutatis mutandis regardless of whetherthe request is to vary a previous order for child or spousal support.
Once the sufficiency of the change has been established, the Courtmust next determine the extent of the variation, and to do so, it generally is required to make an assessment of the entirety of the presentcircumstances of the parties (Willick, para. 100). A court order will be considered “presumptively valid”, but that presumption will not beabsolute (D.B.S. at para. 66). [17] The binding effect of consent orders was discussed by Green J.A. in R.S.L. v. S.I.L., 2013 NBCA 23, 402N.B.R. (2d) 199.
In that case, as in the case at bar, the parties executed a consent order which later became the order for corollary relief.The order resolved all issues outstanding between the parties, including child support. Three years later, the father filed a Notice ofMotion seeking a variation in the equalization payments he was making with respect to the property division, as well as a reduction in hischild support payments, based on his income having decreased from $50,000 to $33,900 per annum. The motion judge reduced the childsupport payments, but did not vary the marital property equalization payments.
Green J.A. dismissed the husband’s appeal of the decisionnot to reduce the equalization payments, and upheld the decision to vary the child support payments. He wrote that generally, when thecircumstances of the parties or of the children affected by the orders later change, the court has the inherent jurisdiction to retroactivelyvary an order for child support [18] In this case, there was an unforeseeable change in M.K.R.’s income following the execution of the consentorder in 2010, as well in 2011, as she had relocated and was working again.
The threshold test of material change set out in Willick andG. (L.) was met, and the retroactive variation of the May 2011 order met the objectives of both the Divorce Act and the Guidelines. Inthese circumstances, the Court was not bound by either of the previous two orders. [19] It is trite to observe that child support is the right of the child (D.B.S. at para. 167). A parent cannot use a courtorder as a shield to avoid paying the appropriate amount of child support.
When a court issues an order for child support, it must satisfyitself there has been proper and adequate financial disclosure so that the assessed amount accords with the formulaic range. On occasion,a court will impute income to the payor parent (s. 19 of the Guidelines). In this case, in 2010 when the original consent order waspresented for signature, the Court observed M.K.R.’s employment was imminently terminating, and the order was made with this event
in mind. In 2011, when the variation order issued, the Court imputed income to M.K.R. based on the fact she was in receipt ofemployment insurance benefits; however, the Court imposed the additional obligation to exchange her income information with J.A.R.no later than June 1, 2011. This was an ongoing obligation. The income imputed for the purpose of the May 2011 order was clearlywrong based on the fact M.K.R. had found employment in 2011. That order was executed by the Court in September 2011, at a pointwhen M.K.R. should have known her income was higher than $23,700 for that year.
In fact, it was $32,057 in 2011, $39,000 in 2012 and$42,066 in 2013. [20] It was not until J.A.R. requested financial disclosure in July 2012, that he discovered M.K.R.’s income washigher than that imputed by the motion judge in May 2011. To hide behind that court order is disingenuous.
I conclude M.K.R.’s failureto provide her income information as court ordered, constitutes blameworthy conduct as discussed by Bastarache, J. in D.B.S., and themotion judge had authority to go behind the May 2011 court order to make the retroactive variation he did to the beginning of the year.As Abella J. stated in D.B.S.: “They know what their obligations are, when they arise, and when they may be varied.
If their ability topay has increased, they know that the law presumes that at that moment, the child’s entitlement increases” (para. 166). “Prudencedictates full disclosure, as does good financial management, but if the payor parent decides not to let dependent children know that theirentitlements have changed, he or she cannot be heard credibly to say that the subsequent enforcement of a support obligation as of thedate of the changed circumstances, impaired his or her expectation of certainty” (para. 168).
In fact, the Supreme Court stated that courtsshould take an expansive view of what constitutes blameworthy conduct (para. 106). IX. Jurisdiction to Vary Retroactively and Sufficiency of Reasons [21] M.K.R. submits the motion judge erred in failing to articulate reasons why he varied the child support toJanuary 1, 2011. In J.H. v. T.H., 2014 NBCA 52, 422 N.B.R. (2d) 388, the Court, citing P.R.H. v. M.E.L., stated: […] The law with respect to the sufficiency of reasons in a decision from the Family Division of the Court of Queen's Bench is examinedin P.R.H. v. M.E.L.: […] In Young v.
Young (2003), (ON CA), 63 O.R. (3d) 112 (C.A.), [2003] O.J. No. 67 (QL), Laskin J.A. cautioned againstthe use of conclusory reasons in family law cases. He held that the three main rationales for reasoned decisions from R. v.Sheppard, [2002] 1 S.C.R. 869, [2002] S.C.J. No. 30 (QL), 2002 SCC 26, were also applicable in the family law context. These threerationales are: (1) public confidence in the administration of the justice system; (2) the importance of telling the losing party the reasonsfor having lost; and (3) making the right of appeal meaningful.
The importance of sufficient reasons has similarly been affirmed by thisCourt of Appeal in A.M.K.H. v. K.A.M. (2003), 259 N.B.R. (2d) 291, [2003] N.B.J. No. 171 (QL), 2003 NBCA 33 and Blanchard v.Légère [2009] N.B.J. No. 2 (QL), 2009 NBCA 2. See also Petrowski v. Waskul (2003), 173 Man.R. (2d) 237, [2003] M.J. No. 151 (QL), 2003 MBCA 65at para. 13. In R. v. Walker, [2008] S.C.J. No. 34 (QL), 2008 SCC 34, the Court emphasized that the parties are entitled to know why the judgereached his or her decision, and that reasons must be sufficient to allow for appellate review.
However, an appellate court is not tointervene merely because a trial court did a poor job in expressing itself. The Court held that reasons are sufficient if they are responsiveto the live issues of the case and the parties' key arguments. Sufficiency of reasons must be measured by the degree to which theyrespond to the substance of what was in issue. The live issues of the case must be dealt with, and the basis for the ruling must be clear. The Supreme Court's most recent pronouncement concerning the issue of adequate reasons for judgment is found in the decision of R. v.R.E.M., [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3, [2008] S.C.J.
No. 52 (QL), 2008 SCC 51, in which McLachlin C.J.C. advocates a functional context-specificapproach to the consideration of adequacy of reasons. Courts of Appeal which are considering the sufficiency of reasons should readthem as a whole, in the context of the evidence, the arguments and the trial, with an appreciation of the purposes or functions for whichthey are delivered. The function of the reasons is to tell the affected parties why the decision was made, to provide public accountabilityand to permit effective appellate review.
The reasons need to show the path the judge followed from the evidence to the factual findingsto the legal conclusions. This approach was followed by this Court in New Brunswick (Minister of Family and Community Services) v.T.L.M. (Litigation guardian of), [2009] N.B.J.
No. 19 (QL), 2009 NBCA 8, in which Richard J.A. discusses the question of sufficiencyof reasons to be applied in child protection matters. [paras. 10-13] [para. 4] [Emphasis in original] [22] In other words, an appellate court will intervene if the reasons do not explain how the judge arrived at his orher decision to allow for informed appellate review. Simply failing to express him or herself will not justify appellate review. In thiscase, the motion judge provided sufficient reasons to support why he varied his previous order. He varied the child support payments to
January 1, 2011, the year when M.K.R. was required to provide proof of her income no later than June 1. This was a pragmatic andcommon sense adjustment. The approach is consistent with D.B.S. (para. 123). [23] I have already determined M.K.R. engaged in blameworthy conduct by failing to provide her financialinformation in June 2011, as court ordered. The motion judge had authority to make an order retroactive to a date which preceded theprevious order. The reasons were sufficiently clear to allow for appellate review.
In my opinion, a payor parent who knows they havehad an increase in their income, such that they could reasonably expect would alter the amount of child support payable, and who fails todisclose the increase to the other parent, should expect the order will be varied retroactively (D.B.S. at para. 106). In Simon v. Adey, 2012NBCA 63, 391 N.B.R. (2d) 189, Green J.A. iterated this statement of principle: In support of his position, the appellant relies upon the Supreme Court of Canada decision in D.B.S. v. S.R.G.; L.J.W. v. T.A.R.; Henry v.Henry; Hiemstra v.
Hiemstra, 2006 SCC 37, [2006] 2 S.C.R. 231, per Bastarache J.: The proper approach can therefore be summarized in the following way: payor parents will have their interest in certainty protected onlyup to the point when that interest becomes unreasonable. In the majority of circumstances, that interest will be reasonable up to the pointwhen the recipient parent broaches the subject, up to three years in the past.
However, in order to avoid having the presumptive date ofretroactivity set prior to the date of effective notice, the payor parent must act responsibly: (s)he must disclose the material change incircumstances to the recipient parent. Where the payor parent does not do so, and thus engages in blameworthy behaviour, I see noreason to continue to protect his/her interest in certainty beyond the date when circumstances changed materially.
A payor parent shouldnot be permitted to profit from his/her wrongdoing. [para. 125] [para. 19] [24] I parenthetically observe that child support orders are never truly retroactive, in any event, as there is astatutory obligation for a payor parent to pay support at the level prescribed by the Guidelines. This principle was stated by Abella J. inD.B.S.: “I agree with Bastarache J. that it is a misnomer to refer to these as ‘retroactive' awards. They are, instead, compensation for whatwas legally owed” (para. 160). See also MacMinn v. MacMinn, (AB CA), [1995] A.J. No. 893 (C.A.) (QL), at para.15. X.
Income [25] In Scott v. Scott, 2004 NBCA 99, 278 N.B.R. (2d) 61, Richard J.A. states: The governing principles for the determination of income for the purposes of child support are set out in ss. 16-20 of the Federal ChildSupport Guidelines subject to the interpretive rule set out in s. 2(3) that “the most current information must be used”. [para. 35] [26] Scott v. Scott was referred to in Reid v. Gillingham, 2015 NBCA 27, [2015] N.B.J. No. 99 (QL); B.P. v. A.T.,2014 NBCA 51, 423 N.B.R. (2d) 99; S.L.B. v. P.J.O., 2013 NBCA 52, 408 N.B.R. (2d) 235; T.L. v. A.C., 2013 NBCA 24, 402 N.B.R.(2d) 373; Brooks v.
Brooks, 2012 NBQB 401, 397 N.B.R. (2d) 361; R.F.T. v. K.L.N., 2012 NBQB 343, [2012] N.B.J. No. 499 (QL);Trevors v. Jenkins, 2011 NBCA 61, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 293. [27] It is clear the previous year’s income cannot be used to assess child support when the current income of thepayor is known (s. 2(3) of the Guidelines).
The current year’s income must be used, absent a circumstance where it is necessary toaverage the previous three years of earnings as provided for in the Guidelines (s. 17(1)), or where the court imputes income (s. 19). [28] In April 2015, the motion judge ordered M.K.R. to pay $546 monthly for the support of the two children fromJanuary 1, 2011 – December 31, 2011, based on her 2010 income. This was an error. [29] The motion judge ordered M.K.R. to pay $450 monthly for the support of the two children from January1,2012 - December 31, 2012 using her 2011 income.
This was an error. [30] The motion judge ordered M.K.R. to pay $552 monthly for the support of the two children from January 1,2013 - June 30, 2013 based on her 2012 income. This was an error. He ordered support payable in the amount of $318 monthly for one
child from July 1, 2013, based on her 2012 income. This was an error. The parties agreed that effective July 1, 2013, M. was no longer achild of the marriage for child support purposes. XI. Substituting Judgment for that of the Motion Judge [31] The motion judge should have retroactively assessed the monthly child support payments based on M.K.R.’slevel of income for each year. Rule 62.21(1) allows this Court to render any decision and to make any order which ought to have beenmade (P.R.H. v. M.E.L., at para. 30).
There have been several court appearances in this matter resulting in additional costs and delays andI have sufficient information before me to make the determination that should have been made in the first instance. Thus, there is noreason why this Court would not make the decision that ought to have been made (see J.H. v. T.H., at paras. 9-16). [32] The order of May 12, 2011, imputed income of $23,700 per annum to M.K.R. and she was ordered to pay $344monthly, effective November 2010.
She should receive a credit for any overpayments she made from November 2, 2010, until December31, 2010, and these credits shall be recorded by the Family Support Orders Service. M.K.R.’s actual income is assessed as follows: 1) 2011: $32,057; 2) 2012: $39,000; 3) 2013: $42,066. [33] In the calendar year 2011, M.K.R. should have paid $449 monthly from January 1 to December 31, for a totalof $5,388. If she paid her support in full for that year as previously court ordered, she would be credited with $4,128. Her arrears areassessed in the amount of $1,260 for 2011.
In the calendar year 2012, M.K.R. should have paid the amount of $552 monthly fromJanuary 1 to December 31, for a total of $6,624. If she paid her support as previously court ordered for that year, she would receive acredit in the amount of $4,128. Her arrears are assessed at $2,496 for 2012. In the calendar year 2013, M.K.R. should have paid monthlysupport of $596 from January 1to June 30 for a total of $3,576. If she paid her support as previously court ordered, she would receive acredit in the amount of $2,064. Her arrears are assessed at $1,512 to June 30, 2013.
From July 1, 2013, to December 31, 2013, M.K.R.should have paid monthly support of $347 for one child, for a total of $2,082. If she paid her support in full as previously court ordered,she would receive a credit of $2,064. Her arrears are assessed at $18 from July 1, 2013, to December 31, 2013. [34] The total amount of arrears outstanding to December 31, 2013, is assessed at $5,286. XII. Costs [35] Rule 59 of the New Brunswick Rules of Court enumerates the criteria a court should consider when making anaward of costs. In D.E. v. L.E., 2014 NBCA 67, [2014] N.B.J.
No. 289 (QL), Larlee J.A., writes: According to Rule 59 of the Rules of Court, the costs of a proceeding are in the discretion of the court, which may determine by whomand to what extent costs shall be paid. I reiterate the comments of Drapeau J.A. (as he then was) in Acadia Marble, Tile & Terrazzo Ltd.v. Oromocto Property Developments Ltd. (1998), (NB CA), 205 N.B.R. (2d) 358, [1998] N.B.J.
No. 412 (C.A.)(QL) on the issue of the awarding of costs following an event: It is undoubtedly true that, where the trial judge has exercised his or her discretion as to costs, this Court will not intervene unless it issatisfied that the exercise of discretion was manifestly wrong. See Williams et al. v. Saint John, New Brunswick and Chubb IndustriesLtd. (1985), (NB CA), 66 N.B.R. (2d) 10 (C.A.). [...] [para. 34] The party who recovers judgment is normally entitled to costs, although a judge may exercise his or her discretion by refusing to makesuch an award: Flieger v.
Adams, 2012 NBCA 39, 387 N.B.R. (2d) 322. [paras. 23-24]
[36] In other words, appellate intervention is not warranted unless we are satisfied the motion judge was wrong in the exercise of his discretion. This principle was discussed by Turnbull J.A. in Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc. (c.o.b. PCS Cassidy Lake Co.) v. DuPont Canada Inc. , [2008] N.B.J. No. 15 (C.A.) (QL), at para. 3 . See also L.T.G. v. C.J.G. , 2011 NBCA 12 , 369 N.B.R. (2d) 202 . [37] In the case at bar, the motion judge exercised his inherent jurisdiction to deal with costs independently of the Rules and I would not interfere with the exercise of that discretion on the facts of this case. XIII.
Disposition [38] I would allow the appeal in part with respect to the calculation of child support arrears for the years 2011, 2012, and 2013. The child support payments are varied retroactively to January 1, 2011. The appellant is entitled to her costs on the appeal which are fixed at $2,000.