2022 NBCA 33, 2022 NBCA 33
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 93-21-CA MICHELLE LYNN BROWN APPELLANT MICHELLE LYNN BROWN APPELANTE - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Brown v. R., 2022 NBCA 33 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Brown c.
R., 2022 NBCA 33 CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: April 29, 2021 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : le 29 avril 2021 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: February 8, 2022 Appel entendu : le 8 février 2022 Judgment rendered: July 7, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 7 juillet 2022
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Ben Reentovich For the respondent: Patrick McGuinty Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Ben Reentovich Pour l’intimée : Patrick McGuinty THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] Michelle Lynn Brown received a 90-month (7.5-year) sentence for a number of offences, the most serious of which were four convictions of possession for the purpose of trafficking (in methamphetamine and cocaine) under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act , S.C. 1996, c. 19 . These offences occurred on three separate occasions, over a nine-month period. The other offences included failing to stop a motor vehicle while being pursued by a peace officer, four distinct breaches of conditions of probation and release orders, and obstructing a peace officer. [ 2 ] Ms.
Brown maintains the sentencing judge failed to properly apply the totality principle and imposed a global sentence that is excessive and unfit. [ 3 ] I would grant Ms. Brown’s request for leave to appeal but dismiss the appeal.
II. Background [ 4 ] There is no dispute regarding the facts upon which Ms. Brown was sentenced. She was 37 years of age and had a “normal upbringing,” according to her presentence report. She reported that her parents were good providers and she had a good home life, with fond memories of her childhood. Ms. Brown graduated from high school in Woodstock, New Brunswick, and has been in the community ever since. [ 5 ] Approximately five years ago, Ms. Brown successfully put a bout with cancer behind her. Not long thereafter, her marriage ended, as did her relationship with the children of her ex-husband.
Unfortunately, the several relationships that followed were fraught with mental and physical abuse and incidents of domestic violence. Drug use became more habitual and, over time, she became addicted. [ 6 ] Ms. Brown’s only prior convictions under the Criminal Code arose from a recent series of offences that occurred over a brief period between October 2018 and January 2019. They included three offences for break and enter (s. 348(1)), one for possession of a break-in instrument (s. 351(1)), and two for failing to appear (s. 145(3)(b)).
On June 4, 2019, she was sentenced to 30 days’ jail and 12 months’ probation. [ 7 ] Less than 12 months later, on June 3, 2020, the first of the offences connected to this appeal occurred. The last was February 7, 2021. A. The Circumstances of the Offences [ 8 ] Ms. Brown accepted the Crown’s account of the facts regarding the offences for which she was sentenced. [ 9 ] On June 3, 2020, the police in Woodstock attempted to stop Ms. Brown. With their emergency lights and sirens activated, an officer pursued a vehicle driven by Ms. Brown onto the Trans-Canada Highway.
While their vehicles were travelling between 125-130 kilometres per hour, the officer pulled alongside Ms. Brown’s vehicle and was able to identify her. The pursuit was abandoned, and Ms. Brown was arrested two days later, on June 5, 2020. Ms. Brown was charged with: (1) failing to stop while being pursued by a peace officer (s. 320.17); and (2) failing to comply with a probation order, to keep the peace and be of good behaviour (s. 733.1(1)(b)).
(1) The June 5, 2020, possession for the purpose of trafficking offences [ 10 ] The arrest of Ms. Brown, on June 5, 2020, led to additional charges . While the police had been looking to arrest her for the incidents of June 3, they had also received information that she might be involved in trafficking controlled drugs.
Upon her arrest, the police seized: (1) two bags containing over 30 grams of crystal methamphetamine; (2) several additional bags of what was suspected to be crystal methamphetamine, but not tested; (3) two bags containing 169 methamphetamine ice pills; (4) two bags containing 8.7 grams of cocaine; and (5) two bags containing 15.8 grams of cannabis. They also found a digital scale, a score sheet, empty baggies, two knives, $355 in cash, and packages containing an additional 137 pills, which were not sent for analysis. Ms.
Brown was charged with: (1) possession for the purpose of trafficking of methamphetamine ; (2) possession for the purpose of trafficking of cocaine; and (3) failing to comply with a probation order. [ 11 ] Pending the disposition of the charges that were laid, a release order was made on August 7, 2020. It required Ms. Brown to abstain from consuming or possessing drugs and to follow a curfew, among other things.
(2) The September 16, 2020, possession for the purpose of trafficking offence [ 12 ] By September 16, 2020, when the police effected a traffic stop of Ms. Brown’s vehicle, she was
wanted on suspicion of having breached the curfew condition of her release order. The police seized from inside Ms. Brown’s purse: (1) three bags containing approximately 3 grams of crystal methamphetamine; (2) 37 methamphetamine ice pills; (3) seven bags containing 9.16 grams of MDMA; and (4) a bag with 5.29 grams of cannabis. They also found three score sheets, clear plastic baggies and an operational digital scale. Ms.
Brown was charged with: (1) possession for the purpose of trafficking of methamphetamine; and (2) breaching a condition of her release order to abstain from possession of drugs (contrary to s. 145(5)(a)). [ 13 ] Following a bail hearing, Ms. Brown was released under another release order, made on September 21, 2020. [ 14 ] On January 16, 2021, the police went to the home of Ms. Brown’s mother to do a curfew compliance check; Ms. Brown was not present. The police would later arrest Ms.
Brown, on February 7, 2021, and charge her with failing to comply with the condition of the release order that required she reside with her mother.
(3) The February 7, 2021, possession for the purpose of trafficking offence [ 15 ] Although the police were looking for Ms. Brown because of the unsuccessful curfew check undertaken in January 2021, her arrest on February 7, 2021, led to additional charges. Having received information that Ms. Brown could be at Walmart, they found her car in the store’s parking lot; however, she was not present and, while speaking with the person who was in her vehicle, the police witnessed Ms. Brown leave the store then turn around and go back inside. The police followed Ms. Brown into the store.
They found her in a washroom and an officer waited outside Ms. Brown’s stall and spoke to her, through the door, in an effort to get her to come out. After about ten minutes, the police heard what sounded like a pill bottle opening and something hitting water. Concerned she was destroying evidence, the police broke through the stall’s door and arrested Ms. Brown. She had in her hand a Motrin pill bottle that contained one methamphetamine ice pill. Ms. Brown’s purse held a small bag containing 1 gram of crystal methamphetamine, a small container with residue, two score sheets and $3,225 in cash.
They found a number of plastic baggies in the small garbage container inside the stall. Also, in her vehicle, the police found a machete, a homemade baton and a package of illegal cigarettes. Ms. Brown was charged with: (1) possession for the purpose of trafficking of methamphetamine; (2) obstructing peace officers (contrary to s. 129(d)); and (3) breaching a condition of her release order, to abstain from consuming drugs (contrary to s. 145(5) (a)). B.
The Sentence [ 16 ] Before consideration of the totality principle , the Crown’s position was that an appropriate sentence for the individual offences would total eight to ten years of incarceration, based on an application of sentencing principles and guided by the case law relating to possession for the purpose of trafficking (particularly Cormier v. R. , 2018 NBCA 38 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 150 (QL); and R. v. Donovan , 2020 NBPC 1 , [2020] N.B.J.
No. 161 (QL)); however, after applying the totality principle, the appropriate global sentence would be in the range of seven to eight years, less pre-trial custody. [ 17 ] Counsel for Ms. Brown argued the totality principle ought to limit the global sentence to four years. While recognizing the need to deter and denounce possession for the purpose of trafficking offences, as reflected in Cormier and Donovan , she emphasized it was essential to avoid a cumulative sentence that was substantially greater than the normal sentence for the most serious of Ms.
Brown’s individual offences and the imposition of a sentence that was crushing and inconsistent with Ms. Brown’s limited criminal record and her exceptional prospects for rehabilitation. [ 18 ] The sentencing judge identified the applicable sentencing principles, assessed the mitigating and aggravating circumstances, and considered sentencing ranges for the drug-related offences (with specific reference to Cormier and Donovan ); he then turned to the totality principle and gave his reasons for rejecting a global sentence of four years.
He decided that a seven and half year sentence was warranted, essentially as the Crown had submitted. The term of the sentence for each of the offences is addressed below. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 19 ] Ms. Brown’s appeal contends the sentencing judge erred by:
1. failing to follow the jurisprudence respecting the totality principle, in that he omitted “ to take a ‘last look’ to consider whether the combined sentence was unduly harsh”; 2. focusing exclusively on the offences, by overemphasizing denunciation and deterrence in relation to the drug offences, and failing to properly consider the circumstances of the offender. IV. Analysis [ 20 ] At the sentencing hearing, both parties acknowledged the totality principle was one of the central issues to the determination of a fit sentence.
This was undoubtedly because it was readily apparent the sentences for the drug offences would likely be served consecutively, before taking into account considerations of totality. At least this was the case for the three offences that occurred on different occasions, especially given that Ms. Brown was under release orders to refrain from such conduct during the September and February offences. [ 21 ] Ms. Brown’s primary submission on appeal is that the sentencing judge’s reasons do not indicate he performed the “last look” analysis required under a principled application of the totality principle.
In essence, she contends the judge did not perform part of the analysis that derives from the very object of the principle. Indeed, this “step” may be described as the essence of the totality principle. [ 22 ] When sentencing for multiple offences leads to sentences that would be served consecutively, the sentencing judge must consider whether the combined sentence is unduly long or harsh and disproportionate to the gravity of the offences and the degree of responsibility of the offender.
This has been called the “last look” step of the totality principle, and it is undertaken after a proper sentence for each offence has been individually identified. Where the judge concludes the combined, consecutive sentences are unduly long or disproportionate, the sentence may be reduced accordingly. [ 23 ] A framework for the principled application of the totality principle was addressed by this Court in R. v. Peterson , 2017 NBCA 29 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 152 (QL), per Quigg J.A., which adopted the guidelines set out in R. v. Hutchings , 2012 NLCA 2 , [2012] N.J. No. 12 (QL), per Green C.J.N.L., as he then was.
These guidelines ( Hutchings , at para. 84 ) may be summarized as follows: 1. identify a sentence for each offence, applying proper sentencing principles; 2. consider whether any of the individual sentences should be made consecutive or concurrent, on the ground that they constitute a single criminal adventure; 3. if this results in two or more sentences being served consecutively, take one “last look” at the combined sentence to determine whether it is unduly long or harsh, in the sense that it is disproportionate to the gravity of the offence and the degree of responsibility of the offender, having regard to the following factors:
a) the length of the combined sentence in relation to the normal level of sentence for the most serious of the individual offences involved;
b) the number and gravity of the offences involved;
c) the offender’s criminal record;
d) the impact of the combined sentence on the offender’s prospects for rehabilitation, in the sense that it may be harsh or crushing , and
e) such other factors as may be appropriate to consider to ensure that the combined sentence is proportionate to the gravity of the offences and the offender’s degree of responsibility; 4. if the combined sentence is not unduly long or harsh and is proportionate to the gravity of the offences and the offender’s degree of responsibility , the sentence must stand; 5. where the combined sentence is unduly long or harsh, determine the extent to which the combined sentence should be reduced to achieve a proper totality by, first, attempting to adjust one or more of the sentences by making it or them concurrent with other sentences, but if that does not achieve the proper result, in addition, or instead, reduce the length of an individual sentence below what it would otherwise have been; and 6. in imposing individual sentences adjusted for totality, the judge should be careful to identify:
a) the sentences that are regarded as appropriate for each individual offence applying proper sentencing principles, without considerations of totality;
b) the degree to which sentences have been made concurrent on the basis that they constitute a single criminal adventure; and
c) the methodology employed to achieve the proper totality that is indicated, identifying which individual sentences are to be made concurrent or to be otherwise reduced. [para. 84] [ 24 ] The position of both parties at the sentencing hearing reflected the common view that the totality principle required that an appropriate global sentence for Ms. Brown be less than what would otherwise be imposed for all of the offences individually. Certainly, this was the Crown’s position based on its submission regarding the sentences that were warranted before totality considerations. While Ms.
Brown did not necessarily accept the Crown’s assessment of the individual sentences, she was similarly clear that the totality principle played an essential role in the determination of a combined sentence that recognized her prospects for rehabilitation and was not harsh or crushing. [ 25 ] Important to this appeal, the sentencing judge accepted the common position of the parties that the totality principle applied, and the sentence should be reduced accordingly. In his reasons for decision, the judge states the sentence is reduced to account for totality. [ 26 ] Ms.
Brown is correct to point out that the judge’s reasons do not expressly follow the path marked by the guidelines adopted in Peterson ; indeed, they do not expressly identify a sentence for each offence, applying proper sentencing principles before considering totality. However, the sentencing judge undoubtedly accepted that Ms. Brown’s total sentence could not be based on the aggregate of the individual sentences and had to be reworked, consistent with the totality principle, to produce a combined sentence that was not unduly long and was proportionate to the gravity of the offences and Ms.
Brown’s degree of responsibility.
As is so often the case, the basis for this becomes very apparent when his reasons for decision are read in the context of the evidentiary record and submissions of the parties. [ 27 ] The Crown’s position regarding an appropriate sentence both before consideration of totality (between eight to ten years) and after (between seven and eight years) were set out in a one-page document that was marked as Exhibit C-3 at the sentencing hearing, a copy of which is attached as an Appendix to this decision. [ 28 ] If the most significant variables on sentencing were not previously clear, they were made crystal clear by Exhibit C-3; they included the length of the sentences for the individual drug offences and whether they or some of them would be served consecutively or concurrently, based on the totality principle or otherwise.
[ 29 ] The first table in Exhibit C-3 sets out the Crown’s position on sentencing for each of Ms. Brown’s individual offences, before totality. This is the basis for it suggesting the total is between eight and ten years. The Crown suggested the first two possession for the purpose of trafficking offences (in June 2020) each warranted a sentence of between 28 and 32 months, to be served concurrently, while the September 2020 and February 2021 offences warranted consecutive sentences of 30-36 months and 36-42 months, respectively.
All of the other offences would be concurrent to the drug offences with the exception of an additional 45 days that would be consecutive to them. [ 30 ] The second table in Exhibit C-3 sets out an approach that would bring the global sentence down to between seven and eight years.
As the Exhibit explains, “ This can be achieved by imposing 28-32 months jail on each PPT offence (the two PPT offences from June 5 running concurrent to one another; the others running consecutively).” It also suggested all other offences could be served concurrently. [ 31 ] In sum, to account for totality, the Crown suggested limiting the three consecutive drug sentences to 28-32 months each, instead of increasing the second and third sentences, and changing the 45-day consecutive sentence to concurrent. [ 32 ] This was the sentence imposed by the judge. [ 33 ] While he did not expressly adopt the increased sentences suggested by the Crown for the September 2020 and February 2021 convictions in the first table of Exhibit C-3, the judge expressly states in imposing three 30-month sentences he has “made significant reductions to account for totality.” [ 34 ] Although the parties’ submissions at the sentencing hearing quite naturally began with an assessment of the appropriate sentence for possession for the purpose of trafficking for a first-time offender, the focus quickly became the appropriate duration of Ms.
Brown’s global sentence after considering totality. Ms. Brown’s request for the imposition of a four-year global sentence stood in stark contrast to the Crown’s position that the global sentence ought to leave undisturbed the imposition of three distinct sentences for the possession for the purpose of trafficking convictions to be served consecutively. [ 35 ] Indeed, it is quite apparent that this was the crux of the issue that arose from the application of the totality principle.
Having concluded that, apart from totality principles, the three separate offences were to be served consecutively, the judge was required to consider whether that sentence was proportionate to the gravity of the offences and the offender’s degree of responsibility or was unduly long or harsh, having regard to Ms. Brown’s prospects for rehabilitation, in the sense that it may be harsh or crushing. Had the judge believed the totality principle required only that he apply the principles applicable to a determination of whether sentences should be served concurrently or consecutively, which is what Ms.
Brown essentially contends is the case, he would have committed an error of law. [ 36 ] However, in my opinion, the judge assessed the factors applicable to the “last look” step of the totality analysis and, in doing so, he imposed a global sentence that was, in his view, proportionate to the gravity of the offences and the offender’s degree of responsibility. This relates to Ms. Brown’s second ground of appeal, namely that the judge focused exclusively on the offences, by overemphasizing denunciation and deterrence, and failing to properly consider her circumstances.
I cannot agree. [ 37 ] After canvassing the purpose and principles of sentencing, as set out in s. 718 of the Code and s. 10 of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act , the judge noted, as mitigating factors, the fact that Ms. Brown had pled guilty to three different events of possession for trafficking which would have involved “considerable court time” and “saved resources.” He recognized that she is remorseful, and, as noted in her presentence report, she regrets the decisions she has made. Significantly, in relation to Ms.
Brown’s prospects for rehabilitation, the judge expressly mentioned the support she has from family, and he concluded the “prospects for her rehabilitation are greatly improved because of this.” The judge also recognized that Ms. Brown’s criminality only began later in life, following the breakdown of her marriage and after her use of drugs to relieve stress grew into a drug problem that “continued to spiral out of control” even after she was released from incarceration for the break and enter offences. [ 38 ] Despite this, the judge’s assessment of the gravity of the three distinct offences and the degree of Ms.
Brown’s responsibility led him to conclude the global sentence recommended by the Crown was fit. Explaining why he rejected the position advanced by Ms. Brown, and favoured a sentence that retained consecutive sentences for the drug offences on the three separate dates, he said:
This is not a joint-recommendation of sentence. Far from it. Counsel here differ by years in their submissions. Ms. Brown is not a first- time offender. Although, she arrived at the criminal conviction recently and later in life, she has 5 previous convictions and served jail sentences for each. I would note, also, that there are in this instance, 3 separate and distinct events of possession for trafficking. Typically, the Court will impose consecutive sentences for events that are clearly separate and apart from each other.
Additionally, a Court will impose consecutive sentences when the offence was committed while the accused was subject to release conditions either imposed by a Court or given to a peace officer. Of course, the principle of totality applies. A fit and proper sentence must not be excessive in the circumstances and it must adequately reflect the moral culpability of the accused. I have considered the submissions of counsel and in fact those decisions referenced in the Cormier decision of 2018. That decision cited numerous appellate cases throughout Canada.
The recurring theme, of course, is that sentencing is a unique act of judicial discretion. In the absence of a definitive pronouncement by an appellate court, sentencing judges should consider previous similar cases as guides rather than a straitjacket. There are always fact scenarios that would justify a sentencing judge to pronounce a sentence that is dissimilar to past sentences despite the appearance of similarity. With respect, Ms. Brown’s position of 4-years imprisonment is inadequate. It fails to recognize the gravity of all these offences. It fails to specifically deter and denounce her criminality.
It would fail to generally denounce or deter like-minded individuals from pursuing drug trafficking. Here the court must condemn her actions strongly as all her criminal activity occurred while either subject to probation order or police undertaking or a release order or all 3. Further, Ms. Brown’s commission of crimes are numerous but sufficiently separate and distinct events that constitute – sorry, that consecutive sentences are appropriate . For example, the first drug conviction is from June 5th, 2020. The second drug event is from September 16th, 2020, and the third drug event from February 7th, 2021.
There are other events in between but clearly Ms. Brown was continuously in the business of drug trafficking in methamphetamine over this 9-month period. That business stopped when she was arrested following the last event and remanded. This is not a crime spree. This is typical, street-level, drug trafficking. However unsophisticated it is, it is still done for profit and her business only stopped when she was taken into custody and held. Applying the principle of totality will oblige here that some sentences be served concurrently.
I consider the recommended sentence as suggested by the prosecution in this matter to be in that reasonable range. I have made significant reductions to account for totality. Part of that includes allowing convictions for offences under s. 733 and s. 145 to be served concurrently. Usually these would be consecutive to any other sentence. [Emphasis added; Transcript, April 29, 2021, pp. 17-20] [ 39 ] In
summary, there is no error in the judge’s application of the totality principle. The sentences for the individual possession for the purpose of trafficking offences are justifiable, as are his reasons for maintaining consecutive sentences and not reducing Ms. Brown’s global sentence further. As a matter of law, the totality principle could have justified a lower global sentence, had the judge found the 90-month sentence was disproportionate to the gravity of the offences and Ms.
Brown’s degree of responsibility or was unduly long or harsh; however, the judge’s basis for concluding the contrary is unassailable on appeal. Although Ms. Brown was an unfortunate victim of drug abuse, like many of those who use the kind of drugs she possessed, and while her prospects for rehabilitation are good, the judge acknowledged both and did not improperly emphasize the seriousness of the offence of possession for the purpose of trafficking (in crystal methamphetamine and cocaine) and the repetition of that offence two more times while Ms.
Brown was in the community under release orders for the same offence. IV. Disposition [ 40 ] For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal. APPENDIX “A” EXHIBIT C-3 Recommended sentence Before applying the principle of totality, the Crown submits that the appropriate sentence for these offences is a custodial term of 8-10 years . A suggested breakdown is as follows: Date Offence Plea Sentence
June 3, 2020 s. 320.17 s. 733.l(l)(
b) GP GP 15 days jail 15 days (consecutive) June 5, 2020 s. 5(2) CDSA – methamphetamine s. 5(2) CDSA - cocaine s. 733.l(l)(
a) GP GP GP 28-32 months 28-32 months (concurrent) 1 month (concurrent) June 10, 2020 s. 145(4)(
a) s. 733.l(l)(
b) W/D W/D - - September 11, 2020 s. 145(4)(
a) W/D - September 16, 2020 s. 5(2) CDSA – methamphetamine s. 145(5)(
a) GP GP 30-36 months (consecutive) 1 month (concurrent) December 20, 2020 s. 145(5)(
a) W/D - January 16, 2021 s. 145(5)(
a) GP 1 month (consecutive) January 29, 2021 s. 145(5)(
a) W/D - February 7, 2021 s. 5(2) CDSA – methamphetamine s. 129(a) s. 145(5)(a) s. 145(5)(
a) GP GP GP W/D 36-42 months 1 month (concurrent) 1 month (concurrent) - With totality given proper weight, the Crown submits the total sentence should be between 7-8 years’ incarceration . This can be achieved by imposing 28-32 months jail on each PPT offence (the two PPT offences from June 5 running concurrent to one another; the others running consecutively). All other offences could be served concurrently. The suggested breakdown is as follows: Date Offence Plea Sentence June 3, 2020 s. 320.17 s. 733.l(l)(
b) GP GP 15 days jail (concurrent) 15 days (concurrent) June 5, 2020 s. 5(2) CDSA – methamphetamine s. 5(2) CDSA– cocaine s. 733.l(l)(
a) GP GP GP 28-32 months (consecutive) 28-32 months (concurrent) 30 days (concurrent) June 10, 2020 s. 145(4)(
a) s. 733.l(l)(
b) W/D W/D - - September 11, 2020 s. 145(4)(
a) W/D - September 16, 2020 s. 5(2) CDSA – methamphetamine s. 145(5)(
a) GP GP 28-32 months (consecutive) 2 months (concurrent) December 20, 2020 s. 145(5)(
a) W/D - January 16, 2021 s. 145(5)(
a) GP 1 month (concurrent) January 29, 2021 s. 145(5)(
a) W/D -
February 7, 2021 s. 5(2) CDSA – methamphetamine s. 129(a) s. 145(5)(a) s. 145(5)(
a) GP GP GP W/D 28-32 months (consecutive) 1 month (concurrent) 1 month (concurrent) - Ancillary orders: - s. 109 weapons prohibition - lifetime prohibition - DNA- primary designated offences (s. 5(2) CDSA) - Driving prohibition – discretionary - Forfeiture – s. 491 CC/s. 16 CDSA Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] Michelle Lynn Brown a été condamnée à une peine de 90 mois (sept ans et demi) pour un certain nombre d’infractions.
Les plus graves étaient quatre infractions de possession (de méthamphétamine et de cocaïne) en vue d’en faire le trafic, qui ont donné lieu à des déclarations de culpabilité sous le régime de la Loi réglementant certaines drogues et autres substances , L.C. 1996, ch. 19 . Ces infractions ont eu lieu à trois moments distincts au cours d’une période de neuf mois.
Les autres consistaient notamment en l’omission d’arrêter son véhicule à moteur alors qu’elle était poursuivie par un agent de la paix, en quatre violations distinctes des conditions d’ordonnances de probation et de mise en liberté et en l’entrave à un agent de la paix. [2] M me Brown soutient que le juge chargé de déterminer la peine n’a pas appliqué de façon appropriée le principe de totalité et qu’il a infligé une peine globale excessive et non indiquée. [3] Je suis d’avis d’accorder à M me Brown l’autorisation d’appeler, mais de rejeter l’appel. II.
Contexte [4] Les faits sur lesquels repose la condamnation de M me Brown ne sont pas contestés. Elle était âgée de trente-sept ans et, d’après le rapport présentenciel, avait reçu une [TRADUCTION] « éducation normale ». Elle a indiqué que ses parents avaient pleinement subvenu à ses besoins, qu’elle avait connu une belle vie de famille et qu’elle gardait un tendre souvenir de son enfance. M me Brown a achevé ses études secondaires à Woodstock, au Nouveau-Brunswick, et habite la région depuis. [5] Il y a cinq ans environ, M me Brown a surmonté l’épreuve d’un cancer.
Peu après, son mariage a pris fin, de même qu’ont pris fin ses rapports avec les enfants de son ex-époux. Malheureusement, les quelques relations qui ont suivi ont été marquées par des violences morales et physiques et par des épisodes de violence domestique. L’usage de drogues s’est accru pour devenir, avec le temps, une dépendance.
[6] Les seules déclarations de culpabilité antérieures de M me Brown, sous le régime du Code criminel , ont été prononcées pour une série d’infractions rapprochées commises il y a peu, entre octobre 2018 et janvier 2019, dont l’introduction par effraction ( par. 348(1) , trois chefs), la possession d’outil de cambriolage ( par. 351(1) , un chef) et l’omission de comparaître ( al. 145(3) b), deux chefs).
Le 4 juin 2019, M me Brown a été condamnée à trente jours d’emprisonnement et douze mois de probation. [7] Un peu moins de douze mois plus tard, le 3 juin 2020, les premières des infractions auxquelles est lié le présent appel ont été commises. La dernière a eu lieu le 7 février 2021. A. Circonstances des infractions [8] M me Brown a souscrit au compte rendu des faits du ministère public en ce qui concerne les infractions pour lesquelles elle été condamnée. [9] Le 3 juin 2020, un agent de police de Woodstock a tenté de contraindre M me Brown à s’arrêter.
Il poursuivait sur la Transcanadienne, gyrophare et sirène activés, le véhicule qu’elle conduisait. Il s’est porté au côté du véhicule de M me Brown, à 125 ou 130 km/h, et il a pu identifier la conductrice. Il a abandonné la poursuite et M me Brown a été arrêtée deux jours plus tard, le 5 juin 2020. Elle a été accusée : (1) d’omission de s’arrêter alors que poursuivie par un agent de la paix (art. 320.17); (2) d’omission de se conformer à une ordonnance de probation ainsi qu’à l’exigence de ne pas troubler l’ordre public et d’avoir une bonne conduite (al. 733.1(1)b)).
(1) Infractions de possession en vue du trafic – 5 juin 2020 [10] L’arrestation de M me Brown, le 5 juin 2020, a mené au dépôt de nouvelles accusations. Pendant que la police cherchait à l’arrêter pour les événements du 3 juin, elle a reçu des renseignements qui laissaient croire que M me Brown pouvait être mêlée au trafic de drogues désignées.
Lors de son arrestation, la police a saisi : (1) deux sachets contenant plus de 30 g de méthamphétamine en cristaux; (2) plusieurs autres sachets d’un produit, non analysé toutefois, qui semblait de la méthamphétamine en cristaux; (3) deux sachets contenant 169 comprimés de méthamphétamine; (4) deux sachets contenant 8,7 g de cocaïne; (5) deux sachets contenant 15,8 g de cannabis.
Elle a également trouvé une balance numérique, une feuille de pointage, des sachets de plastique vides, deux couteaux, 355 $ en espèces et des paquets contenant 137 autres comprimés, qui n’ont pas été envoyés au laboratoire pour analyse. M me Brown a été accusée : (1) de possession de méthamphétamine en vue d’en faire le trafic; (2) de possession de cocaïne en vue d’en faire le trafic; et (3) d’omission de se conformer à une ordonnance de probation. [11] Le 7 août 2020, le tribunal a prononcé, en attendant qu’il soit statué sur les accusations portées, une ordonnance de mise en liberté.
Elle exigeait de M me Brown, entre autres choses, qu’elle s’abstienne de la consommation ou de la possession de drogues et qu’elle s’astreigne à un couvre-feu.
(2) Infraction de possession en vue du trafic – 16 septembre 2020 [12] Lorsque la police a arrêté son véhicule, le 16 septembre 2020, M me Brown était recherchée, soupçonnée d’inobservation du couvre-feu prescrit par l’ordonnance de mise en liberté. La police a extrait de son sac à main et saisi : (1) trois sachets contenant environ 3 g de méthamphétamine en cristaux; (2) 37 comprimés de méthamphétamine; (3) sept sachets contenant 9,16 g de MDMA; et (4) un sachet contenant 5,29 g de cannabis.
Elle a trouvé en outre trois feuilles de pointage, des sachets de plastique transparent et une balance numérique en état de marche. M me Brown a été accusée : (1) de possession de méthamphétamine en vue d’en faire le trafic; et (2) de violation de la condition de l’ordonnance de mise en liberté exigeant qu’elle s’abstienne de la possession de drogues (al. 145(5)a)). [13] Le 21 septembre 2020, après une enquête sur le cautionnement, la mise en liberté de M me Brown a été ordonnée de nouveau.
[14] Le 16 janvier 2021, la police s’est rendue chez la mère de M me Brown afin de procéder à une vérification du respect du couvre-feu; M me Brown ne s’y trouvait pas. La police devait ensuite l’arrêter le 7 février 2021 et l’inculper de ne pas avoir respecté la condition de l’ordonnance de mise en liberté exigeant qu’elle réside chez sa mère.
(3) Infraction de possession en vue du trafic – 7 février 2021 [15] Quoique la police ait été à la recherche de M me Brown parce qu’elle avait été absente au moment de la vérification du respect du couvre-feu, en janvier 2021, son arrestation, le 7 février 2021, s’est traduite par de nouvelles accusations. La police avait été informée de la présence possible de M me Brown au Walmart. Parvenue au magasin, elle a repéré sa voiture dans le parc de stationnement, mais n’y a pas trouvé M me Brown.
Tandis qu’elle s’entretenait avec la personne qui occupait la voiture, la police a aperçu M me Brown sortir du magasin, faire demi-tour et y rentrer. Elle l’y a suivie et l’a retrouvée dans la salle de toilettes. La police a attendu et discuté avec M me Brown, par la portière d’un cabinet, afin de la convaincre de sortir. Au bout d’une dizaine de minutes, des sons ont été entendus qui semblaient ceux du couvercle d’une fiole de médicaments qui s’ouvrait et d’un objet jeté à l’eau. Par crainte de la destruction de preuves, la police a forcé la portière du cabinet et appréhendé M me Brown.
Celle-ci avait à la main une fiole de Motrin contenant un comprimé de méthamphétamine. Elle emportait dans son sac à main, outre un sachet contenant 1 g de méthamphétamine en cristaux, un petit pot dans lequel subsistait un résidu, deux feuilles de pointage et 3 225 $ en espèces. La police a découvert, dans la corbeille du cabinet, un certain nombre de sachets de plastique. Dans le véhicule de M me Brown, elle a aussi découvert une machette, une matraque artisanale et un paquet de cigarettes de contrebande.
M me Brown a été accusée : (1) de possession de méthamphétamine en vue d’en faire le trafic; (2) d’entrave à des agents de la paix (al. 129d)); et (3) de violation de la condition de l’ordonnance de mise en liberté qui exigeait qu’elle s’abstienne de la consommation de drogues (al. 145(5)a)). B.
Peine [16] Le ministère public soutenait que, avant prise en considération du principe de totalité, un emprisonnement de huit à dix ans constituait une peine appropriée pour les infractions individuelles, vu les principes de détermination de la peine et la jurisprudence portant sur la possession en vue du trafic (en particulier Cormier c. R. , 2018 NBCA 38 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 150 (QL), et R. c. Donovan , 2020 NBCP 1 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 161 (QL)).
Cependant, après application du principe de totalité, la peine globale appropriée serait de sept à huit ans, moins la période passée en détention préventive. [17] L’avocate de M me Brown soutenait que le principe de totalité devait limiter la peine globale à quatre ans.
Elle reconnaissait le besoin de dissuader de la possession en vue du trafic et de la dénoncer, suivant les décisions Cormier et Donovan , mais soulignait qu’il était essentiel d’éviter une peine cumulative qui, de beaucoup, serait plus lourde que la peine normale appliquée pour les plus graves des infractions individuelles de M me Brown, ainsi qu’une peine qui serait écrasante et inconciliable avec le casier judiciaire peu chargé de M me Brown et avec ses perspectives exceptionnelles de réadaptation. [18] Le juge a cerné les principes de détermination de la peine applicables, a évalué les circonstances atténuantes et aggravantes, et a examiné les fourchettes de peines des infractions liées à la drogue (en se reportant expressément aux décisions Cormier et Donovan ).
Il est ensuite passé à l’application du principe de totalité et a donné les motifs pour lesquels il écartait une peine globale de quatre ans. Il a conclu qu’une peine de sept ans et demi était justifiée, essentiellement ainsi que le ministère public l’avait avancé. Il sera question ci-dessous de la durée de la peine infligée à l’égard de chacune des infractions. III.
Moyens d’appel [19] L’appelante soutient que le juge chargé de déterminer la peine a commis les erreurs suivantes : 1. il n’a pas suivi la jurisprudence relative au principe de totalité, en ce sens qu’il a omis [TRADUCTION] « de jeter [TRADUCTION] “un dernier coup d’œil ” afin de voir si la peine globale était exagérément rigoureuse » ; 2. il s’est arrêté exclusivement aux infractions, en insistant trop sur la dénonciation des infractions liées à la drogue et sur la
dissuasion, et il n’a pas bien tenu compte de la situation de la délinquante. IV. Analyse [20] Lors de l’audience de détermination de la peine, les parties ont reconnu toutes deux que le principe de totalité était l’une des questions décisives dans le choix d’une peine juste. Sans doute est-ce parce qu’il apparaissait que, vraisemblablement, les peines infligées pour les infractions liées à la drogue seraient à purger consécutivement, avant qu’entrent en jeu des considérations de totalité.
C’était le cas, tout au moins, pour les trois infractions perpétrées à des moments différents, étant donné surtout que, lorsqu’elle a commis les infractions de septembre et de février, des ordonnances de mise en liberté exigeaient de M me Brown qu’elle s’abstienne de ces conduites criminelles. [21] L’argument principal de M me Brown, en appel, est que les motifs du juge chargé de déterminer la peine n’indiquent pas qu’il a jeté le [TRADUCTION] « dernier coup d’œil » que requiert une application raisonnée du principe de totalité. Elle soutient essentiellement que le juge n’a pas procédé à une
partie de l’analyse dérivée de l’objet même du principe. De fait, cette [TRADUCTION] « étape » peut être qualifiée d’essence du principe de totalité. [22] Lorsque la détermination des peines pour infractions multiples conduit à des peines qu’il faudra purger consécutivement, le juge doit examiner si la peine globale est exagérément longue ou rigoureuse, et disproportionnée à la gravité des infractions et au degré de responsabilité du délinquant.
Cette étape de l’application du principe de totalité, dite étape du [TRADUCTION] « dernier coup d’œil », intervient une fois qu’une peine appropriée a été arrêtée pour chacune des infractions individuellement. Il est loisible au juge, s’il conclut que les peines consécutives engendrent une peine globale exagérément longue ou disproportionnée, de la réduire en conséquence. [23] Dans R. c.
Peterson , 2017 NBCA 29 , [2017] A.N.-B. n o 152 (QL) (motifs de la juge Quigg), notre Cour a abordé l’établissement d’un cadre pour l’application raisonnée du principe de totalité et a adopté les lignes directrices données par le juge Green, juge en chef de Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador (tel était alors son titre), dans R. c. Hutchings , 2012 NLCA 2 , [2012] N.J. No. 12 (QL).
Il est permis de résumer ces lignes directrices ainsi ( Hutchings , par. 84 ) : 1. déterminer une peine pour chaque infraction, en appliquant les principes appropriés de détermination de la peine; 2. examiner si certaines des peines individuelles devraient être consécutives ou concurrentes pour le motif qu’elles constituent une seule entreprise criminelle; 3. s’il apparaît que deux peines ou plus seront à purger consécutivement, jeter un [TRADUCTION] « dernier coup d’œil » à la peine globale pour déterminer si elle est exagérément longue ou rigoureuse, au sens où elle serait disproportionnée à la gravité de l’infraction et au degré de responsabilité du délinquant, compte tenu des facteurs suivants :
a) la durée de la peine globale comparativement à la durée normale de la peine pour les plus graves des infractions individuelles en question,
b) le nombre et la gravité des infractions en question,
c) le casier judiciaire du délinquant,
d) les incidences de la peine globale sur les perspectives de réadaptation du délinquant, au sens où elle pourrait être trop rigoureuse ou écrasante,
e) tout autre facteur qu’il pourrait être approprié de considérer pour assurer que la peine globale est proportionnée à la gravité des
infractions et au degré de responsabilité du délinquant; 4. si la peine globale n’est pas exagérément longue ou rigoureuse, et si elle est proportionnée à la gravité des infractions et au degré de responsabilité du délinquant, la peine ne doit pas être modifiée; 5. si la peine globale est exagérément longue ou rigoureuse, déterminer dans quelle mesure la peine globale devrait être réduite pour atteindre une globalité appropriée, en tentant d’abord d’ajuster une ou plusieurs des peines en la ou les rendant concurrentes avec d’autres peines, mais, si cela n’atteint pas le résultat approprié, en ramenant, en outre ou à la place, la durée d’une peine individuelle en deçà de ce qu’elle aurait par ailleurs été; 6. en infligeant les peines individuelles rajustées selon le principe de totalité, le juge devrait déterminer avec soin à la fois :
a) les peines qui sont considérées appropriées pour chaque infraction particulière quand on applique les principes appropriés de détermination de la peine sans songer à la totalité,
b) la mesure dans laquelle les peines ont été rendues concurrentes pour le motif que l’affaire constitue une seule entreprise criminelle,
c) la méthode appropriée qui est utilisée pour atteindre la totalité qui convient, laquelle méthode doit indiquer quelles peines individuelles doivent être rendues concurrentes ou réduites par d’autres moyens. [par. 84] [24] Les arguments avancés par les deux parties, à l’audience de détermination de la peine, exprimaient le commun avis que, suivant le principe de totalité, la peine globale appropriée devait être moindre, dans le cas de M me Brown, que celle qui serait infligée si toutes les infractions étaient sanctionnées individuellement.
L’argumentation du ministère public allait certainement dans ce sens, étant donné ses observations sur les peines qui seraient justifiées si des considérations de totalité n’entraient pas en jeu.
Bien que M me Brown n’ait pas nécessairement admis les peines individuelles que le ministère public estimait indiquées, elle était nettement d’avis, de même, que le principe de totalité était un facteur essentiel de la détermination d’une peine globale qui reconnaîtrait ses perspectives de réadaptation et ne serait ni rigoureuse ni écrasante. [25] Fait important dans le présent appel, le juge chargé de déterminer la peine s’est rangé au commun avis des parties, selon qui le principe de totalité s’appliquait et la peine devait être réduite en conséquence.
Dans ses motifs, il a indiqué que la peine avait été réduite afin de tenir compte du principe de totalité. [26] M me Brown a raison de faire observer que les motifs du juge ne suivent pas expressément les lignes directrices adoptées dans l’arrêt Peterson ; de fait, dans ses motifs le juge n’a pas expressément déterminé une peine pour chaque infraction, en appliquant les principes appropriés de détermination de la peine, avant de considérer le principe de totalité.
Il n’y a toutefois aucun doute que le juge a reconnu que la peine totale de M me Brown ne pouvait pas se résumer à la somme des peines individuelles et qu’il fallait la retravailler afin d’arriver, en conformité avec le principe de totalité, à une peine globale qui ne soit pas exagérément longue et qui soit proportionnée à la gravité des infractions et au degré de responsabilité de la délinquante.
Ainsi qu’il advient souvent, ce qui fonde ce point de vue devient tout à fait évident dès que les motifs sont situés dans le contexte du dossier de preuve et des arguments des parties. [27] Les peines que le ministère public estimait appropriées, tant avant la prise en considération du principe de totalité (huit à dix ans) qu’après (sept à huit ans), étaient indiquées dans un document d’une page, cote C-3 à l’audience de détermination de la peine, dont une copie est annexée au présent jugement. [28] Si les variables décisives de la détermination de la peine n’apparaissaient pas clairement jusqu’ici, elles sont explicitées par la pièce C-3, qui précise la durée de la peine pour chacune des infractions liées à la drogue et indique si les peines, ou certaines d’entre elles, seront à purger consécutivement ou concurremment, du fait du principe de totalité ou d’autres considérations.
[29] Le premier tableau de la pièce C-3 donne la peine que le ministère public juge appropriée, avant l’application du principe de totalité, pour chacune des infractions de M me Brown. Le total de huit à dix ans auquel arrive le ministère public repose sur ces peines. Il a soutenu que chacune des deux premières infractions de possession en vue du trafic (juin 2020) justifiait des peines de 28 à 32 mois à purger concurremment, alors que les infractions de septembre 2020 et de février 2021 justifiaient respectivement des peines consécutives de 30 à 36 mois et de 36 à 42 mois.
Les autres infractions devaient toutes être purgées concurremment avec les infractions liées à la drogue, exception faite d’une peine consécutive additionnelle de 45 jours. [30] Le second tableau de la pièce C-3 propose un calcul qui se traduirait par une peine globale de sept à huit ans. Comme la pièce l’explique, [TRADUCTION] « [i] l est possible d’arriver à cette peine en infligeant à la délinquante une peine d’emprisonnement de 28 à 32 mois pour chacune des infractions de possession en vue du trafic (les peines des deux telles infractions du 5 juin seraient concurrentes, les autres consécutives) ».
Il y est aussi mentionné que toutes les autres infractions pourraient être purgées concurremment . [31] En somme, le ministère public a proposé, afin de tenir compte du principe de totalité, de limiter chacune des trois peines consécutives infligées pour les infractions liées à la drogue à une durée de 28 à 32 mois, au lieu d’accroître la deuxième puis la troisième peines, et de faire de la peine de 45 jours une peine, non plus consécutive, mais concurrente. [32] Cette peine globale est celle que le juge a prononcée. [33] Le juge n’a pas expressément adopté les peines accrues que le ministère public avait proposées pour les infractions de septembre 2020 et de février 2021 (dont il a été déclaré coupable) dans le premier tableau de la pièce C-3, mais il a expressément indiqué, lorsqu’il a infligé trois peines de 30 mois, qu’il avait [TRADUCTION] « opéré d’importantes réductions pour tenir compte du principe de totalité » . [34] Bien que le débat ait tout naturellement débuté, lors de l’audience de détermination de la peine, par des observations des parties sur la peine appropriée pour l’infraction de possession en vue du trafic dans le cas d’un délinquant primaire, il est vite passé à la durée appropriée qu’aurait la peine globale de M me Brown après prise en compte du principe de totalité.
La demande de M me Brown, qui souhaitait une peine globale de quatre ans, contrastait vivement avec les prétentions du ministère public, qui soutenait que la peine globale devait maintenir l’infliction de trois peines consécutives distinctes pour les infractions de possession en vue du trafic dont l’accusée avait été déclarée coupable. [35] Il s’agissait d’ailleurs, à l’évidence, du nœud de la question que soulevait l’application du principe de totalité.
Parce que le juge avait conclu que, abstraction faite du principe de totalité, les peines prononcées pour les trois infractions distinctes devaient être purgées consécutivement, il avait à examiner si la peine était proportionnée à la gravité des infractions et au degré de responsabilité de la délinquante ou si elle était exagérément longue ou rigoureuse, vu les perspectives de réadaptation de M me Brown, au sens où elle pourrait être rigoureuse ou écrasante.
Si le juge avait estimé que le principe de totalité exigeait uniquement qu’il applique les principes permettant de déterminer si des peines doivent être purgées concurremment ou consécutivement, comme le soutient essentiellement M me Brown en l’espèce, il aurait commis une erreur de droit. [36] Je suis d’avis, toutefois, que le juge a évalué les facteurs qui interviennent à l’étape du [TRADUCTION] « dernier coup d’œil », dans l’analyse qu’exige le principe de totalité, et qu’il a prononcé ainsi une peine globale qui, à son sens, était proportionnée à la gravité des infractions et au degré de responsabilité de la délinquante.
L’opinion que j’exprime ici vise le second moyen d’appel de M me Brown, par lequel elle reproche au juge de s’être arrêté exclusivement aux infractions, en insistant trop sur la dénonciation et sur la dissuasion, et de ne pas avoir tenu compte de façon appropriée de sa situation.
Je ne saurais être d’accord. [37] Après avoir passé en revue l’objectif et les principes de la détermination de la peine, énoncés à l’art. 718 du Code et à l’ art. 10 de la Loi réglementant certaines drogues et autres substances , le juge a relevé, pour facteurs atténuants, que M me Brown s’était reconnue coupable de trois cas distincts de possession en vue du trafic, lesquels auraient demandé [TRADUCTION] « un temps considérable aux tribunaux », et qu’ainsi [TRADUCTION] « des ressources [avaient] été économisées ».
Il a reconnu qu’elle avait exprimé des remords et que, comme l’indiquait le rapport présentenciel, elle regrettait les décisions qu’elle avait prises. Fait important, à propos des perspectives de réinsertion sociale de M me Brown, le juge a noté expressément le soutien qu’elle reçoit de sa famille et il a conclu : [TRADUCTION] « [S]es perspectives de réadaptation s’en trouvent nettement meilleures. »
Il a aussi reconnu que les agissements criminels de M me Brown n’avaient débuté que sur le tard, après l’échec de son mariage et après que la consommation de drogues en vue d’apaiser son stress s’était muée en une surconsommation dans laquelle [TRADUCTION] « elle
[avait] continué de s’enfoncer » même une fois achevée son incarcération pour introductions par effraction. [38]
Malgré ce qui précède, l’évaluation faite par le juge de la gravité des trois infractions distinctes et du degré de responsabilité de M me Brown l’a amené à conclure que la peine globale recommandée par le ministère public était juste. Lorsqu’il a expliqué pourquoi il avait refusé de prononcer la peine demandée par M me Brown et choisi une peine globale qui maintenait les peines consécutives infligées pour les infractions liées à la drogue commises à trois dates distinctes, le juge a indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Il ne s’agit pas d’une recommandation conjointe de peine. Loin de là.
L’écart des peines proposées par les avocats se mesure en années. M me Brown n’est pas une délinquante primaire. Si elle n’a connu les déclarations de culpabilité au criminel que récemment, et assez tard dans la vie, son casier porte cinq déclarations de culpabilité antérieures et elle a purgé une peine de prison pour chacune d’elles. Je ferai observer en outre que se présentent ici trois cas distincts de possession en vue du trafic. Ordinairement, si les cas sont nettement distincts, le tribunal inflige des peines consécutives.
Il inflige en outre des peines consécutives si l’infraction a été commise tandis que l’accusé se trouvait assujetti à des conditions de mise en liberté, qu’elles aient été imposées par un tribunal ou remises à un agent de la paix. Bien sûr, le principe de totalité s’applique. Une peine juste et appropriée ne doit pas être excessive dans les circonstances et doit dénoter adéquatement la culpabilité morale de l’accusé.
J’ai pris en compte les arguments des avocats et je me suis reporté, de fait, aux décisions mentionnées dans l’arrêt Cormier de 2018, qui renvoie à de nombreuses décisions de tribunaux d’appel canadiens. Ces décisions réaffirment, évidemment, que la détermination d’une peine est un exercice unique d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire. En l’absence d’un énoncé définitif d’un tribunal d’appel, le juge chargé de déterminer la peine doit tenir les causes antérieures similaires pour des repères, et non pour des carcans.
Il se présente toujours des faits qui justifieraient qu’un juge prononce une peine différente des peines passées, en dépit de l’apparence d’une similarité. Je suis du respectueux avis qu’un emprisonnement de quatre ans, peine demandée par M me Brown, est insuffisant. Il ne traduit pas la gravité de toutes ces infractions. Il n’opère, en ce qui a trait aux agissements criminels de M me Brown, ni dénonciation ni dissuasion spécifique. Il n’en résulterait ni dénonciation ni dissuasion générale, au
chapitre du trafic de drogue, à l’endroit d’individus animés du même esprit. La Cour doit ici condamner vigoureusement les actions de M me Brown, car toute son activité criminelle a eu lieu tandis qu’elle était astreinte, soit à une ordonnance de probation, soit à une promesse remise à la police, soit à une ordonnance de mise en liberté, soit à toutes trois. En outre, si les perpétrations de crimes de M me Brown sont multiples, les cas sont suffisamment distincts pour que des peines constituent… désolé, pour que des peines consécutives soient appropriées .
Par exemple, le premier cas ayant conduit à une déclaration de culpabilité pour une infraction liée à la drogue remonte au 5 juin 2020. Le deuxième cas d’infraction liée à la drogue remonte au 16 septembre 2020, le troisième au 7 février 2021. Des cas divers sont intervenus entre-temps, mais il est évident que M me Brown s’est livrée en continu au trafic de méthamphétamine au cours de cette période de neuf mois. Ces activités ont pris fin quand elle a été arrêtée, après le dernier cas de possession, et renvoyée sous garde. Il ne s’agit pas de crimes en rafale, mais de trafic de drogue usuel, de trafic de rue.
Si rudimentaire qu’il soit, ce crime n’en vise pas moins le profit, et le trafic n’a cessé qu’une fois M me Brown mise sous garde et détenue. L’application du principe de totalité requerra ici que certaines peines soient purgées concurremment. J’estime que la peine recommandée en l’espèce par le poursuivant s’inscrit dans la fourchette des peines raisonnables. J’ai opéré d’importantes réductions pour tenir compte du principe de totalité . Entre autres, j’ai permis que les [peines] infligées à l’égard des infractions que prévoient les art. 733 et 145 soit purgées concurremment.
En temps normal, ces peines seraient consécutives. [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sont de moi; transcription, 29 avril 2021, p. 17 à 20] [39] En résumé, l’application du principe de totalité par le juge ne trahit aucune erreur. Les peines qu’il a infligées pour les infractions individuelles de possession en vue du trafic sont justifiables, de même que le sont ses motifs pour maintenir des peines consécutives et de ne pas réduire davantage la peine globale de M me Brown.
En droit, le principe de totalité aurait pu justifier une peine globale inférieure si le juge avait conclu qu’une peine de 90 mois était disproportionnée à la gravité des infractions et au degré de responsabilité de M me Brown, ou qu’elle était exagérément longue ou rigoureuse; or, les raisons qui ont conduit le juge à la conclusion contraire sont inattaquables en appel.
Il est vrai que M me Brown était une victime infortunée de la drogue, comme bon nombre des personnes qui consomment le genre de drogues qu’elle avait en sa possession, et que ses perspectives de réadaptation sont bonnes, mais le juge a pris acte de ces deux facteurs et il n’a insisté indûment, ni sur la gravité de l’infraction de possession en vue de trafic (méthamphétamine et cocaïne), ni sur les récidives de M me Brown qui, revenue au sein de la collectivité et assujettie à des ordonnances de mise en liberté après inculpation de la même infraction, avait deux fois recommencé. IV.
Dispositif [40] Pour les motifs qui précèdent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel. APPENDICE « A »
PIÈCE C-3 Peine recommandée Le ministère public soutient que la peine appropriée pour ces infractions est, avant l’application du principe de totalité, un emprisonnement de 8 à 10 ans . Elle se composerait des peines individuelles suivantes : Date Infraction Plaidoyer Peine 3 juin 2020 art. 320.17 al. 733.l(l)
b) culpabilité culpabilité 15 jours de prison 15 jours (peine consécutive) 5 juin 2020 par. 5(2) LRCDAS – méthamphétamine par. 5(2) LRCDAS – cocaïne al. 733.l(l)
a) culpabilité culpabilité culpabilité 28 à 32 mois 28 à 32 mois (peine concurrente) 1 mois (peine concurrente) 10 juin 2020 al. 145(4)
a) al. 733.l(l)
b) retrait retrait - - 11 septembre 2020 al. 145(4)
a) retrait - 16 septembre 2020 par. 5(2) LRCDAS – méthamphétamine al. 145(5)
a) culpabilité culpabilité 30 à 36 mois (peine consécutive) 1 mois (peine concurrente) 20 décembre 2020 al. 145(5)
a) retrait - 16 janvier 2021 al. 145(5)
a) culpabilité 1 mois (peine consécutive) 29 janvier 2021 al. 145(5)
a) retrait - 7 février 2021 par. 5(2) LRCDAS – méthamphétamine al. 129a) al. 145(5)
a) al. 145(5)
a) culpabilité culpabilité culpabilité retrait 36 à 42 mois 1 mois (peine concurrente) 1 mois (peine concurrente) - Le ministère public soutient que la peine totale devrait être, si un poids approprié est donné au principe de totalité, un emprisonnement de sept à huit ans . Il est possible d’arriver à cette peine en infligeant à la délinquante un emprisonnement de 28 à 32 mois pour chacune des infractions de possession en vue du trafic (les peines infligées à l’égard des deux telles infractions du 5 juin seraient concurrentes, les autres consécutives).
Toutes les autres peines pourraient être purgées concurremment. Les peines individuelles seraient les suivantes : Date Infraction Plaidoyer Peine 3 juin 2020 art. 320.17 al. 733.l(l)
b) culpabilité culpabilité 15 jours (peine concurrente) 15 jours (peine concurrente) 5 juin 2020 par. 5(2) LRCDAS – méthamphétamine par. 5(2) LRCDAS – cocaïne al. 733.l(l)(
a) culpabilité culpabilité culpabilité 28 à 32 mois (peine consécutive) 28 à 32 mois (peine concurrente) 30 jours (peine concurrente)
10 juin 2020 al. 145(4)
a) al. 733.l(l)
b) retrait retrait - - 11 septembre 2020 al. 145(4)
a) retrait - 16 septembre 2020 par. 5(2) LRCDAS – méthamphétamine al. 145(5)
a) culpabilité culpabilité 28 à 32 mois (peine consécutive) 2 mois (peine concurrente) 20 décembre 2020 al. 145(5)
a) retrait - 16 janvier 2021 al. 145(5)
a) culpabilité 1 mois (peine concurrente) 29 janvier 2021 al. 145(5)
a) retrait - 7 février 2021 par. 5(2) LRCDAS – méthamphétamine al. 129a) al. 145(5)
a) al. 145(5)
a) culpabilité culpabilité culpabilité retrait 28 à 32 mois (peine consécutive) 1 mois (peine concurrente) 1 mois (peine concurrente) - Ordonnances accessoires - Interdiction de possession d’armes, interdiction à perpétuité (art. 109) - Prélèvement d’ADN, infractions primaires (par. 5(2), LRCDAS) - Interdiction de conduire, mesure discrétionnaire - Confiscation (art. 491, C.cr . ; art. 16, LRCDAS)