2017 NBCA 59, 2017 NBCA 59
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 52-17-CA LISE ARSENAULT APPELLANT LISE ARSENAULT APPELANTE - and - - et - DENIS ARSENAULT RESPONDENT DENIS ARSENAULT INTIMÉ Arsenault v. Arsenault, 2017 NBCA 59 Arsenault c.
Arsenault, 2017 NBCA 59 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 11, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 11 avril 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2017 NBQB 64 Décision frappée d’appel : 2017 NBBR 64 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Motion heard: October 11, 2017 Motion entendue : le 11 octobre 2017 Judgment rendered: October 11, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 11 octobre 2017
Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Brenda McMullen-Brown For the respondent: Marie-Claude Bélanger-Richard, Q.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Brenda McMullen-Brown Pour l’intimé : Marie-Claude Bélanger-Richard, c.r. THE COURT The motion is dismissed with costs of $2,500. LA COUR La motion est rejetée avec dépens de 2 500 $. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT (Orally) [1] The respondent on the appeal has brought a motion seeking the dismissal of the appeal forwant of jurisdiction. He argues the order made by a trial judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench (2017 NBQB 64, [2017] N.B.J.
No. 78(QL)), with respect to the validity of the marriage contract entered into by the parties, is an interlocutory and not a final order. The issueof the validity of the marriage contract which proposed to settle all matters between the parties was determined by the trial judge as aresult of a consent order by the parties. [2] Despite the able arguments of counsel for the respondent, we respectfully disagree.
As a resultof the trial judge’s decision, the only outstanding issues are corollary relief under the Divorce Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. 3 (2nd Supp.):quantum and duration of spousal support, quantum of child support, and maintenance of the medical and dental insurance by therespondent for the benefit of the appellant. In our view, the order is a final one because it has determined the principal matter in questionand substantially decided the rights of the parties: Toronto-Dominion Bank v. Andal Holdings (Moncton) Ltd. [2017] N.B.J. No. 212(C.A.) (QL) and Zildjian v.
Sabian Ltd. et al. (2009), (NB CA), 342 N.B.R. (2d) 143, [2009] N.B.J. No. 15 (C.A.)(QL). No leave to appeal is required. [3] The motion is, therefore, dismissed with costs to the appellant in the amount of $2,500. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR (oralement) [1] L’intimé en appel a présenté une motion dans laquelle il sollicite le rejet de l’appel pour motif
de défaut de compétence. Il soutient que l’ordonnance concernant la validité du contrat de mariage conclu par les parties, rendue par une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine (2017 NBBR 64, [2017] A.N.-B. no 78 (QL)), est interlocutoire et non définitive. La question de lavalidité du contrat de mariage, lequel avait pour but de régler toutes les questions entre les parties, a été réglée par la juge du procès parsuite d’une ordonnance par consentement des parties. [2] Avec égards, nous ne sommes pas de cet avis, et ce, malgré les arguments habiles de l’avocatede l’intimé.
Les seules questions non résolues, par suite de la décision de la juge de procès, sont celles des mesures accessoires accordées en vertu de la
Loi sur le divorce, L.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2e suppl.) : le montant et la durée des prestations alimentaires matrimoniales, lemontant des prestations alimentaires pour enfants et le maintien des assurances médicale et dentaire au profit de l’appelante. À notreavis, l’ordonnance est définitive, car elle tranche la question principale en litige et elle décide de façon substantielle les droits des parties : Toronto-Dominion Bank c. Andal Holdings (Moncton) Ltd., [2017] A.N.-B. no 212 (C.A.) (QL), et Zildjian v. Sabian Ltd. et al., (2009), (NB CA), 342 R.N.-B. (2e) 143, [2009] A.N.-B. no 15 (C.A.) (QL).
Aucune autorisation d’appel n’estnécessaire. [3] La motion est donc rejetée, des dépens de 2 500 $ étant accordés à l’appelante.