2015 QCCQ 14113, 2015 QCCQ 14113
Opinion
Zhang c. Kaufmann 2015 QCCQ 14113 COURT OF QUEBEC “Administrative and appeal Division” CANADA PROVINCE OF QUEBEC DISTRICT OF MONTRÉAL TOWN OF MONTRÉAL Civil Division No: 500-80-031700-157 DATE: December 9, 2015 ______________________________________________________________________ BY THE HONOURABLE SCOTT HUGHES, J.C.Q. ______________________________________________________________________ YUMING ZHANG -and- YAN YURONG Plaintiff v.
CHRISTINA KAUFMANN Defendant ______________________________________________________________________ JUDGMENT ON A MOTION FOR LEAVE TO APPEAL FROM THE RÉGIE DU LOGEMENT (Article 91 of an Act respecting the Régie du logement (C.Q.L.R. c. R-8.1)) [ 1 ] This is a motion for leave to appeal a decision of the Régie du logement [1] presented by Yuming Zhang and Yan Yurong, past Tenants in the immovable owned by Christina Kaufmann. [ 2 ] The decision dismisses Tenants’ Claim for damages ($64 600) and granted $2 600 to Mrs.
Kaufmann ($300 for cleaning, $800 for rentals and $1 500 for damage to the property). [ 3 ] A motion for revocation of the initial decision was dismissed [2] , deciding that the reasons invoked were, in fact, potential reasons for appeal.
ARTICLE 91 OF AN Act respecting the Régie du logement [ 4 ]
Article 91 of
an Act respecting the Régie du logement (“the Act”) states: 91. An appeal lies, on leave of a judge of the Court of Québec, from decisions of the Régie du logement when the matter at issue is one which ought to be submitted to the Court of Québec . […] (Emphasis added) [ 5 ] The criteria to be applied in the application of this
article are well known [3] . For the Court to grant leave, it must be convinced that the proposed issues are serious, new, controversial or of general interest. More precisely, leave will be granted only if there is an apparent weakness in the decision; a gross or manifest error in the appreciation of facts; a contravention to natural justice or insufficient reasons. It is not sufficient for the Court to conclude that the Régie committed an error, it must also be convinced that the issues meet the above mentioned criteria.
Issues proposed by the tenants [ 6 ] The issues are not clearly drafted in the motion as the rules of procedure require. The motion was, in fact, prepared on a form that was completed by Tenants who are not attorneys.
[ 7 ] Essentially, Tenants allege:
a) that they caused no damage to the property;
b) that their evidence was not accepted by the adjudicator;
c) that the Régie received false evidence on the part of Mrs. Kaufmann;
d) that Mrs. Kaufmann entered their dwelling on numerous occasions without permission. [ 8 ] They are now claiming $5 000 for “illegal entry” to their dwelling; $1 000 for “noise” and $800 for “time wasted”, as well as to “ cancel the unfair decisions with discrimination made by Régie du logement ”. Analysis [ 9 ] The Tenants, in the case, have the burden of convincing the Court that the issues they submit “ought to be put to Court of Québec”.
This burden is both one of fact and of law. [ 10 ] The motion is supported by the two above mentioned decisions, Tenants’ application before the Régie and an apparently irrelevant letter received from a third party. [ 11 ] Nothing in these documents can convince the Court that the Régie committed, prima facie , any error whatsoever. [ 12 ] The jurisprudence of the Court of Québec is clear. No leave to appeal should be granted when: a. A party simply disagrees with the decisions rendered in absence of demonstration of any error: Colin c.
Amato, 2011 QCCQ 15077 : [9] Par ailleurs, le Tribunal est d'avis que, sur le fond, la requête ne soulève aucune question d'intérêt pour la Cour du Québec en raison de l'absence de moyen invoqué à son soutien. Il est insuffisant de soulever comme question le caractère déraisonnable de l'appréciation factuelle de la preuve par la RÉGIE sans l'appuyer de moyen qui, minimalement, explique en quoi l'appréciation de la preuve serait erronée. […] Parisien c. Immo 2125 St-Marc ltée, 2010 11916: [15] La requête pour permission d'appeler ne révèle aucune question d'intérêt pour la Cour du Québec.
Elle ne soulève que l'expression d'un simple désaccord avec la décision de la RÉGIE et ne vise qu'à soumettre à nouveau des arguments qui ont été rejetés de façon claire et intelligible. b. When the appeal is simply an attempt to re-examine the evidence in first instance: Gagné c.
Coopérative l'Arc-en-ciel , 2010 QCCQ 8965 : [25] Une permission d'appeler d'une décision de la Régie du logement à la Cour du Québec ne sera pas accordée si elle ne vise qu'à reprendre une preuve factuelle, simplement parce qu'une des parties est insatisfaite de l'appréciation des témoignages. [26] Une demande qui vise essentiellement une révision de l'appréciation générale de la qualité ou de la suffisance de la preuve ne suffira pas pour obtenir une autorisation d'appeler. c. When the object of the appeal is nothing more then to re-evaluate the credibility of witnesses: Biron c.
Maheux, 2011 QCCQ 7429 : [14] Il s'agit d'une question d'appréciation de la crédibilité des parties et pour le Tribunal la requête des locataires-requérants a pour seul but de faire apprécier la preuve par la Cour du Québec en espérant que celle-ci en arrivera à une conclusion différente de celle à laquelle en est arrivée la Régie du logement. Willie Coutu ltée c.
Bosquet, 2011 QCCQ 4096 : [35] Le Tribunal constate qu’il est devant une situation où il est manifeste que les moyens d'appel sont essentiellement factuels et visent à obtenir que la Cour du Québec substitue son appréciation à celle de la Régie sur une preuve contradictoire dont l'évaluation dépend largement d'une appréciation de la crédibilité des témoins, domaine qui, sauf erreur manifeste et dominante, est du ressort de la Régie. d. When the object of the appeal concerns only the private interest of the parties: Lachance c.
Fortin , 2011 QCCQ 4344 : [8] La question présentée par les locataires n'est pas d' intérêt général, mais d'intérêt privé. De plus, il ne s'agit pas d'une question nouvelle ou controversée, puisqu'il est reconnu que l'appel ne peut servir comme d'un moyen d'obtenir une deuxième chance afin de présenter une meilleure preuve. Il relève de l'obligation de chaque
partie de se préparer adéquatement à une audience et les tribunaux ne peuvent pallier à un manque de diligence. [ 13 ] Clearly, the Tenants have put forward no issue that ought to be put to the Court of Québec. In fact, the entirely new conclusions requested on appeal convince the Court that Tenants’ complaints against the decision in first instance have no grounds whatsoever. FORE THESE REASONS, THE COURT : Dismisses the motion for leave to appeal, without costs.
__________________________________ SCOTT HUGHES, J.C.Q. Yuming Zhang and Yan Yurong Not represented Christina Kaufmann Not represented Date of hearing: October 28, 2015