2022 NBCA 30, 2022 NBCA 30
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK JOSEPH MAURICE FIGG APPELLANT 69-21-CA JOSEPH MAURICE FIGG APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Figg v. R, 2022 NBCA 30 Figg c.
R., 2022 NBCA 30 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: March 23, 2021 (conviction) June 18, 2021 (sentencing) A Publication Ban in this matter was issued by the Provincial Court on December 11, 2020. It remains in effect.
Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : le 23 mars 2021 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 18 juin 2021 (détermination de la peine) Le 11 décembre 2020, la Cour provinciale a rendu en l’espèce une ordonnance de non- publication qui est toujours en vigueur. History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: February 8, 2022 Judgment rendered: June 30, 2022 Appel entendu : le 8 février 2022 Jugement rendu : le 30 juin 2022 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Thomas J. Burke, Q.C. For the respondent: Patrick McGuinty and Joanne Park Motifs de jugement: l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge French Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Thomas J. Burke, c.r.
Pour l’intimée : Patrick McGuinty et Joanne Park THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] On March 23, 2021, Mr. Joseph Maurice Figg was found guilty of sexual assault under s. 271 (
a) of the Criminal Code , R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46 (“ Code ”), and on June 18, 2021, he was sentenced to thirty months’ incarceration. He appeals against his conviction on grounds that involve questions of law and mixed law and fact. He abandoned his motion seeking leave to
appeal his sentence. The main issues with respect to his conviction concern the judge’s credibility findings and his analysis of communicated consent. [ 2 ] Mr. Figg asks the Court to allow his appeal, quash the conviction and direct a judgment or verdict of acquittal; or allow the appeal, quash the conviction and order a new trial by judge and jury. For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss the appeal. II. Background [ 3 ] Both the complainant, L.A.S., and Mr. Figg are members of the Kingsclear First Nation community located several kilometres from the City of Fredericton.
At the time of the conviction, L.A.S. was 40 years old and Mr. Figg was 49. L.A.S. was a part-time custodian at the convenience store located in the First Nation community. On June 26, 2019, Mr. Figg went to the store to withdraw funds from the ATM so that he could purchase a sweater from his uncle. While there, he and L.A.S. had a brief conversation, during which she advised him she made CDs of music and could make one for him at a cost of $5.00. Although Mr.
Figg had not met L.A.S. before, he described her as flirtatious, and he agreed to buy a CD from her. [ 4 ] Later that day, through Facebook messenger, L.A.S. advised Mr. Figg she had made the C.D. He told her to “come on up,” but that he did not have any money and would give her a “trade in.” L.A.S. testified she thought this meant he would give her groceries or something other than cash to pay for the C.D. She waited until around midnight and then walked for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, through the community, to Mr. Figg’s house.
She knew the house, because on a previous occasion she had delivered flyers there. She knocked on the front door and, because there was no answer, she went to another door, knocked and was told to come in. The door opened into the kitchen. Mr. Figg asked her if she wanted something to drink. She requested a Diet Coke, and he invited her to the basement where his “man cave” was. [ 5 ] The testimony of L.A.S. and Mr. Figg concerning the events that followed diverge. There was conflicting evidence concerning the touching of L.A.S.’s breasts during a conversation that took place next to the pool table.
L.A.S. testified that, once she sat on the couch, Mr. Figg stood in front of her demanding she perform fellatio. What transpired were acts of oral, vaginal and anal sex, during which L.A.S. stated she did not consent and was afraid of being “hit.” Mr. Figg admits the acts took place, but he is adamant the sexual encounter was consensual. [ 6 ] The evidence also diverged concerning Mr. Figg’s sobriety. L.A.S. described him as smelling of beer and being drunk, and stated “something” wasn’t right. Mr. Figg testified he had consumed only three beer throughout the evening. At some point following vaginal sex, Mr.
Figg ejaculated on his hands and then retreated to the bathroom in the basement to clean up. At that point, L.A.S. dressed and went to the upstairs bathroom, turned on the tap in the sink as a means to muffle her voice, and called her brother to pick her up. She stated she was having an anxiety attack and was crying. [ 7 ] L.A.S.’s brother, B.S., testified that, when he received the call from his sister, she told him that she was hiding in the bathroom and Joe (Mr. Figg) was going to hurt her. He could hear a man hollering in the background, “Where the fuck are you?
What is going on?” He testified L.A.S.’s voice was shaky, and she was crying and speaking in a low voice. [ 8 ] B.S. and his wife arrived a few minutes later. By that time, L.A.S. was seated on the front porch of the house, there was a juice bottle next to her, and Mr. Figg was behind her. B.S. described Mr. Figg as being intoxicated, which he gathered by the way Mr. Figg was walking, slurring and “blubbering” his words. The RCMP were called. While B.S. and his wife drove L.A.S. home, she disclosed that Mr. Figg had “bothered” her, meaning, as described in her culture, he had sexually assaulted her.
L.A.S. was later transported to hospital, where she was examined by a nurse trained in sexual assault examinations. Mr. Figg’s DNA was present. [ 9 ] Mr. Figg was subsequently charged with an offence under s. 271 (
a) of the Code . A trial in the Provincial Court resulted in a conviction, from which he appeals. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 10 ] The grounds of appeal, in
summary, consist of the following:
a) the judge erred in law when he failed to “give effect” to “significant” inconsistencies in L.A.S.’s testimony;
b) the judge erred in law when he assessed L.A.S.’s testimony as though she were a “child-like” witness, in the absence ofindependent evidence to support this statement;
c) the judge erred in law by applying a stricter standard of scrutiny to Mr. Figg’s evidence than to the Crown’s evidence; and
d) the judge erred in law by improperly relying on stereotypical assumptions about human behaviour and intellect to bolster L.A.S.’stestimony. All of these grounds comingle. Overlaying each ground of appeal is the assertion that the judge’s analysis was tainted because of hisfinding that the complainant “was a child-like witness and her evidence should be viewed through that prism.” In reality, the grounds ofappeal reflect a larger complaint, that the judge did not make specific findings of fact and demonstrate whether he was left with areasonable doubt. IV.
Standard of Review [11] Deference is owed to trial judges on questions concerning the assessment of credibility and the treatment ofprior statements, absent a palpable and overriding error (R. v. Gagnon, 2006 SCC 17, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 621, at para. 10; R. v. R.E.M., 2008SCC 51, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3, at paras. 28 and 32). As noted, Mr. Figg asserts the judge erred in law when he assessed L.A.S.’s testimonythrough the lens of a “child-like” witness in the absence of independent evidence to support this statement. [12] Mr. Figg also argues the judge erred in mixed fact and law.
Unless there is an extricable error in law, sucherrors are assessed on the palpable and overriding standard (see Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, at para. 36). [13] On the issue of credibility, Larlee J.A. wrote in Robichaud v. R., 2014 NBCA 1, 415 N.B.R. (2d) 218: It would be a rare case in which we would interfere with a trial judge’s finding of credibility: absent palpable and overriding error,findings of fact and credibility deserve deference (see R. v. Clark, 2005 SCC 2, [2005] 1 S.C.R. 6, para. 9; R. v. Gagnon, 2006 SCC 17,[2006] 1 S.C.R. 621, para. 10; R. v.
R.E.M., 2008 SCC 51, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3, paras. 48-51). Indeed, both counsel rely on a recent case ofthis Court R. v. R.D.H., 2009 NBCA 28, 360 N.B.R. (2d) 1, in which Bell J.A. explains when an appellate court will interfere: In R. v. R.(D.), (SCC), [1996] 2 S.C.R. 291, [1996] S.C.J.
No. 8 (QL), Major J., for the majority addressed the issue ofsufficiency of reasons of the trial judge: [...] Where the reasons demonstrate that the trial judge has considered the important issues in a case, or where the record clearly revealsthe trial judge’s reasons, or where the evidence is such that no reasons are necessary, appellate courts will not interfere. [...] [para. 55][…] [para. 15] See also Gillis v. R., 2014 NBCA 58, 426 N.B.R. (2d) 1, at para. 74. [14] Recently, in Ozer v. R., 2022 NBCA 9, [2022] N.B.J. No. 68 (QL), Richard C.J.N.B. wrote the following in asexual assault case:
Quite recently, the Supreme Court of Canada reiterated a clear message to appellate courts. In R. v. G.F. , 2021 SCC 20 , [2021] S.C.J. No. 20 (QL) , Karakatsanis J. for the majority explained once again that “a trial judge’s findings of credibility deserve particular deference” (para. 81) and that courts of appeal “must not finely parse the trial judge’s reasons in a search for error” (para. 69). As pointed out in Mitchell v. R. , 2020 NBCA 34 , [2020] N.B.J.
No. 98 (QL) , courts of appeal are neither allowed to retry a criminal case nor substitute their assessment of credibility or their view of the evidence for those of either a trial judge or a jury. As difficult as it might be, “[e]ven if, upon reviewing the evidentiary record, a court of appeal were to entertain a reasonable doubt, this alone would be insufficient to overturn a conviction” (para. 1). [para. 3] [ 15 ] When the outcome of a trial is largely dependent on the judge’s findings of credibility, an appeal based on alleged deficiencies in the reasons would rarely be successful ( R. v.
Dinardo , 2008 SCC 24 , [2008] 1 S.C.R. 788 , at para. 26 ; R. v. Vuradin , 2013 SCC 38 , [2013] 2 S.C.R. 639 , at para. 11 ). [ 16 ] In real terms, Mr. Figg’s chief complaint is wrapped around what he believes is the insufficiency of the judge’s reasons. The Supreme Court in Vuradin addressed this issue: The core question in determining whether the trial judge’s reasons are sufficient is the following: Do the reasons, read in context, show why the judge decided as he did on the counts relating to the complainant? In this case, the trial judge’s reasons satisfy this threshold.
First, the trial judge found the evidence of the complainant compelling − that is, credible and reliable. He explained why, noting an exchange between the complainant and the investigating police officer to whom she expressed worry about being considered a bad girl because she may have liked what the appellant had done to her. The trial judge stated that this “had the ring of truth”. Second, the trial judge recognized the live issues relating to the complainant’s credibility.
He was not obliged to discuss all of the evidence on any given point or answer each and every argument of counsel: R.E.M. , at paras. 32 and 64 ; and Dinardo , at para. 30 . Here, he noted the problems in her evidence − the lack of a hymen, inconsistency as to the number of incidents, the physical impossibility of some allegations, and leading questions by the police officer who took her statement. He addressed each of them, albeit briefly, ultimately finding that they were inconsequential to his conclusion. He characterized the appellant’s suggestion of concoction as speculative.
Third, the trial judge considered the appellant’s denial of the allegations. He acknowledged that the appellant’s evidence may have been more fulsome if his command of the English language were better. Read in context, the trial judge’s reasons reveal that he rejected the appellant’s denial.
Later in his reasons, in relation to the other counts, the trial judge stated that the denial was not truthful and did not raise a doubt. [paras. 15-18] [ 17 ] The accused in Vuradin complained the judge failed to explain why he rejected the accused’s denial of sexual assault, he failed to address live issues relating to the credibility of the complainant, and he did not resolve inconsistencies in her testimony. [ 18 ] As stated in Dinardo , an appeal based on insufficient reasons will only be allowed where it is determined the trial judge’s reasons are so deficient they foreclose meaningful appellate review (para. 25).
I agree the reasons in this case are not a model of clarity. At no time did the judge say he did not believe Mr. Figg. Instead, he was satisfied that, in her subjective mind, L.A.S. did not consent to the sexual activity that took place. The judge also found that Mr. Figg took no steps to ascertain consent, because he was “going with the flow.” [ 19 ] A judge is presumed to know the law. The judge in this case reviewed the testimony of the complainant and Mr. Figg, and he accepted as fact, without explicitly stating so, that the events happened as L.A.S. described. The judge was left with no doubt.
As stated in Dinardo , credibility determinations attract a high degree of deference (para. 26). Although an accused is entitled to know why a trial judge was left with no reasonable doubt, reasons must be read as a whole, in the context of the evidence, the arguments and the trial ( see R. v.
R.E.M. , 2008 SCC 51 , [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3 , at para. 16 ). [ 20 ] In R.E.M. , McLachlin C.J.C. concluded that a trial judge’s failure to explain why he or she rejected an accused’s plausible denial of the charges does not mean the reasons are deficient so long as they generally demonstrate that, where the complainant’s evidence and the accused’s evidence conflict, the judge accepted the evidence of the complainant (para. 66). See also Vuradin , at para. 13 .
[21] In my view, when one reads the reasons as a whole in this case, there is no doubt the judge accepted theevidence of the complainant, and he was satisfied that L.A.S. had not consented to the sexual activity and the elements of the offence hadbeen made out. A. Ground number 1 – Inconsistencies in the evidence [22] Although trial judges do not have to resolve every inconsistency in a witness’ testimony, they should addresssignificant inconsistencies (R. v. R.A., 2017 ONCA 714, [2017] O.J. No. 4772 (QL), at para. 45).
The judge in this case was alive to theinconsistencies between L.A.S.’s testimony and her K.G.B. statement (see R. v. B. (K.G.), (SCC), [1993] 1 S.C.R. 740,[1993] S.C.J. No. 22 (QL). He satisfied himself that, in spite of them, L.A.S. was “unequivocal in saying she knew what had happened toher and that in her mind at the time of the offence she did not consent” (Transcript, vol. 3, March 23, 2021, p. 10). The absence ofconsent is subjective (see R. v. Ewanchuk, (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 330, [1999] S.C.J.
No. 10 (QL), at paras. 26-27);however, whether or not the accused was aware of the absence of consent deals with the mens rea of the offence and the issue of mistakein communicated consent. [23] Mr. Figg submits the judge erred when he gave no effect to the inconsistencies in L.A.S.’s testimony, based onhis statement that he would view her testimony through the prism of a childlike witness.
The judge discussed the inconsistencies in hertestimony and, in the end, rather than dissect each piece of inconsistent testimony, he found the following: “[…] the events she describeddid in fact happen, and Figg admits they did.” He found that L.A.S.’s statement that she did not consent must be assessed in the “lense ofthe totality of the evidence.” I agree. [24] In R. v. Cain, 2017 NSCA 96, [2017] N.S.J. No. 512 (QL), appeal to Supreme Court dismissed (2018 SCC 20,[2018] 1 S.C.R. 631), Mr. Cain was charged with sexual assault under s. 271 of the Code.
During cross-examination, it was revealedthere were inconsistencies between the complainant’s written statements to the police, and her testimony. The accused asked the trialjudge to doubt the complainant’s credibility because the inconsistencies went to the core issue of the offence. The judge determined theinconsistencies were insignificant and were attributable to the complainant’s short-term memory loss caused by a stroke. The judge wassatisfied the inconsistencies did not impair the reliability of her testimony concerning the central allegations of sexual assault. Mr.
Cainwas convicted and unsuccessfully appealed to the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal. Scanlan J.A. dissented. An appeal as of right to theSupreme Court was also dismissed. [25] In R. v. W.H., 2013 SCC 22, [2013] 2 S.C.R. 180, Cromwell J., writing for the majority, restored theconviction rendered at trial by a jury in a case where the accused argued the complainant’s testimony was unreliable because ofinconsistencies between her testimony and prior statements. He cited R. v. François, (SCC), [1994] 2 S.C.R. 827, [1994]S.C.J. No. 66 (QL), where McLachlin J. (as she then was) wrote: […] 2.
Credibility assessment does not depend solely on objective considerations such as inconsistencies or motives for concoction. AsMcLachlin J. said in François, at pp. 836-37: [Credibility] turns not only upon such factors as the assessment of the significance of any alleged inconsistencies or motives forconcoction, which may be susceptible of reasoned review by a court of appeal, but on the demeanour of the witness and the commonsense of the jury, which cannot be assessed by the court of appeal.
The latter domain is the “advantage” possessed by the trier of fact, beit judge or jury, which the court of appeal does not possess and which the court of appeal must bear in mind in deciding whether theverdict is unreasonable: R. v. W. (R.), supra. [Emphasis added.] […] [para. 32] [26] In this case, the judge acknowledged he was required to assess the credibility of L.A.S. and Mr. Figg applying
the instructions in R. v. W.(D.), (SCC), [1991] 1 S.C.R. 742, [1991] S.C.J. No. 26 (QL). Mr. Figg was not required toprove his innocence. He correctly identified the Crown’s onus was to prove Mr. Figg touched L.A.S. intentionally, the touching wassexual in nature, L.A.S. did not consent to the sexual activity and Mr. Figg was aware she did not consent.
In my view, the reasons,although not perfect, demonstrate that the judge knew the law, he did not reverse the onus, and he was satisfied the essential elements ofthe offence were made out. [27] The judge wrote: Despite the discrepancies noted in the extraneous matter, she was unequivocal in saying she knew what had happened to her and that inher mind at the time of offence she did not consent, although she let it happen because she was scared and didn’t know what to do. Herstate of mind when she called her brother from Figg’s house, crying instead of her usual happy dem – demeanor corroborates that.
Iaccept her evidence on that point and I am satisfied that in her subjective internal state of mind that early morning, she did not consent tothe sexual acts. I must then turn to the accused’s knowledge of the complainant’s lack of consent. [Transcript, vol. 3, p. 10] [28] Once the judge was satisfied that non-consensual sexual activity had occurred, minor discrepancies in theevidence, which were peripheral and would not have affected the result, did not have to be surgically parsed by the judge.
Although therewas no expert evidence to establish that L.A.S. was intellectually challenged, as will be discussed further, the judge, through personalobservation and common sense, coupled with the evidence adduced through cross-examination, could conclude that L.A.S., althoughinconsistent in certain parts of her testimony, was truthful. This finding of credibility is entitled to deference (R.E.M.; R. v. Dinardo, atpara. 26). [29] Based on a functional review of the reasons, I see nothing to persuade me the judge abdicated his function tocritically examine the inconsistencies in L.A.S.’s testimony.
An alleged inconsistency is a consideration when testimony is assessed;however, the reasonableness of the explanation for it must also be considered (François, at pp. 839-840; R. v. W.H., at paras. 45-46). Iwould dismiss this ground. B. Ground number 2 – Did the judge err in assessing L.A.S.’s testimony as though she were a childlike witness? [30] Once the judge was satisfied the actus reus was established and L.A.S. had not consented, he turned toexamine Mr. Figg’s knowledge of lack of consent. [31] In R. v. G.F., 2021 SCC 20, [2021] S.C.J.
No. 20 (QL), Karakatsanis J. wrote the following: Consent is the foundational principle upon which Canada’s sexual assault laws are based. For decades, this Court has recognized that“control over who touches one’s body, and how, lies at the core of human dignity and autonomy”: R. v. Ewanchuk, (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 330, at para. 28. As such, the contours of consent are carefully delineated and jealously guarded. It is nowindisputable that consent is a subjective state of mind, entirely personal to the complainant.
There is no room for implied consent inCanada, and the range of mistaken beliefs an accused may lawfully hold about the complainant’s consent are tightly restricted by theCriminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46. [para. 1] [32] In G.F., the complainant asserted she lacked the capacity to consent to sexual intercourse due to intoxication.Karakatsanis J. reviewed the facts, finding the complainant had initially and repeatedly told both accused to stop; however, because shewas sick and confused and felt out of control, she did not feel able to choose whether or not to participate.
She tried to push away for a bitbut got tired and then “just went along with it” (para. 9). [33] In contrast, the two accused testified the sexual intercourse was consensual and G.F. testified he asked for, andreceived, assurances at least seven times, and that the complainant consented to the sexual activity.
At trial, both accused were convicted.The Court of Appeal for Ontario ordered a new trial, concluding the judge failed to identify the relevant factors to consider whenassessing whether intoxication deprived the complainant of the capacity to consent, and he failed to consider the issue of consent firstand separately from the issue of capacity.
[34] In this case, there was no submission either before the judge, or before this Court, that L.A.S. lacked capacity.There was no request for a voir dire under s. 16 of the Canada Evidence Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-5. The judge did not make a finding thatL.A.S. was intellectually challenged. [35] Judges can rely on their life experience and their common sense when assessing witnesses’ testimony. InBrown v. R., 2021 NBCA 40, [2021] N.B.J. No. 222 (QL), Green J.A. wrote that judges do not “[…]park their common sense at the doorto the courtroom before taking one’s seat on the bench” (para. 27).
Similarly, in Russell v. R., 2021 NBCA 19, [2021] N.B.J. No. 104(QL), Drapeau J.A. observed: Trial judges are not required to check their common sense at the courtroom door. Indeed, their oath of office commands they do rightaccording to law and common sense is almost invariably an important contributor in fulfilling that fundamental adjudicativeresponsibility.
In the present case, the trial judge identified the correct legal principles, reviewed the critical evidence for the prosecutionand the defence, made unimpeachable findings of fact (including credibility) and came to the commonsensical conclusion that theappellant’s guilt for the offence charged was the only reasonable inference to be drawn from the evidence and the facts as he found them.Those findings of fact are pivotal, having regard to the appellant’s testimony and the theories available on the record at trial. [para. 45] [36] I see no error in the judge commenting on L.A.S.’s demeanour during her testimony.
Further, there wasevidence that L.A.S. had said no to the initiation of fellatio, and she said no during anal intercourse. The Crown referred us to the reasonsin R. v. W. (R.), (SCC), [1992] 2 S.C.R. 122, [1992] S.C.J. No. 56 (QL), at para. 24, where McLachlin J. quoted R. v. B.(G.), (SCC), [1990] 2 S.C.R. 30, [1990] S.C.J. No. 58 (QL): “[t]he credibility of every witness who testifies beforethe courts must, of course, be carefully assessed but the standard of the ‘reasonable adult’ is not necessarily appropriate in assessing thecredibility of young children” (p. 55).
I am not persuaded this is what the judge meant in this case. What he observed was the manner inwhich L.A.S., a 38 to 39-year-old woman, who appeared childlike to him, was able to tell her story. [37] I see no reversible error in the judge’s decision to assess L.A.S.’s testimony through the “prism” of a childlikewitness. He observed her, he heard her, he was aware of her health issues, and he applied his common sense in deciding that hercredibility would be assessed by criteria appropriate to her health and her ability to communicate. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. C.
Did the trial judge err in applying a stricter standard of scrutiny to the appellant’s evidence? [38] To assess evidence by applying a different standard to that of the complainant or the accused is an error of lawunder s. 686(1)(a)(iii) of the Code. Mr. Figg submits his evidence regarding the issue of consent, or an honest but mistaken belief incommunicated consent, was rejected because of the judge’s treatment of L.A.S.’s evidence as that of a childlike witness. [39] The judge was left with no doubt that L.A.S. did not consent to the sexual acts and that Mr. Figg possessed thenecessary mens rea.
More will be said about this finding further. Mr. Figg submits that important inconsistencies in L.A.S.’s evidencewere dismissed without satisfactory explanation beyond the determination that she was a childlike witness; thus, the judge applied astricter standard of scrutiny to his evidence. He states the inconsistencies go to the core of the defence, which turns on the questionwhether the Crown proved the mens rea, that is, whether Mr. Figg had an honest but mistaken belief in communicated consent (G.F., atpara. 25). [40] In R. v. Roth, 2020 BCCA 240, [2020] B.C.J.
No. 1333 (QL), the accused argued the trial judge hadscrutinized the defence evidence more rigorously than the evidence of the Crown. Consent was the main issue at trial. The judge foundthe evidence of the accused was “contrived and self-serving,” and was tailored to minimize his degree of intoxication (para. 37).Although there were inconsistencies between the complainant’s testimony and her prior statements, the judge found they were minimaland the complainant was truthful.
Dewitt-Van Oosten J.A. wrote: It is an error of law for a trial judge to subject the evidence of the defence to more rigorous scrutiny than the evidence of the Crown. See,for example: R. v. Singh et al., 2020 MBCA 61 at paras. 31-33; R. v. Mehari, 2020 SKCA 37 at para. 29; R. v. Murray, 2020 BCCA 42at para. 82; R. v. E.H., 2020 ONCA 405 at paras. 40-41; R. v. Willis, 2019 NSCA 64 at paras. 40-45; R. v. Wanihadie, 2019 ABCA 402 atparas. 34-43; R. v. Kiss, 2018 ONCA 184 at paras. 82-83; R. v.
Gravesande, 2015 ONCA 774 at paras. 18-19, 43. [para. 47] [41] She goes on to observe that “successful claims of an unbalanced approach to the assessment of credibility have
often involved […] a misapprehension of material evidence; speculative reasoning; an overemphasis on demeanour; or a failure toconsider testimony in the context of the evidence as a whole” (para. 51). A claim of a stricter standard of scrutiny will ultimately beunsuccessful if the submission is based on the judge’s
interpretation of the evidence, or the fact the judge did not find the accusedcredible. [42] In the present case, Mr. Figg’s assertion goes directly to the trial judge’s assessment of credibility. Mr. Figgargues the judge’s credibility findings are tainted because of his conclusion concerning L.A.S.’s “intellectual capacity.” I disagree withthis characterization. As noted, at no point did the judge find that L.A.S. suffered from an intellectual disability. He viewed hertestimony through the “prism” of a childlike witness because that is how she presented herself.
The judge made observations of L.A.S.and, in the totality of the evidence, he was left with no doubt she did not communicate consent to the sexual acts. The reasons reflect thefact the judge “grappled with the substance of the live issues of the trial” (R.E.M., at para. 64). [43] In Bright v. R., 2020 NBCA 79, [2020] N.B.J. No. 314 (QL), LeBlond J., writing for the Court, discussed theassessment of evidence on different standards: To succeed with this argument, it is not sufficient to show credibility could have been assessed differently. The threshold Mr. Brightmust cross is quite high.
He needs to “[…] point to something in the reasons of the trial judge or perhaps somewhere else in the recordthat make it clear […] the trial judge […] applied different standards in assessing the evidence of the appellant and the complainant” (R.v. J.H., (ON CA), [2005] O.J. No. 39 (QL) (C.A.), per Doherty J.A., at para. 59; R. v. Wanihadie, 2019 ABCA 402,[2019] A.J. No. 1406 (QL), at para. 36). [para. 58] [44] On direct examination, Mr. Figg answered “no” to the following questions:
a) Did you pull L.A.S. onto the couch and ask her to ride you?
b) Did she ever tell you no?
c) Did she ever tell you to stop?
d) Did she try to push you away and defend herself?
e) Did she yell or scream for help?
f) Did she use any words or actions that made you think she did not want to have any form of three parts [types] of sex (oral,vaginal, or anal)? [45] On cross-examination, Mr. Figg admitted he was hoping “it could go somewhere” and, when L.A.S. knockedon the door, he thought “there was probably always a shot.” He testified there was no conversation between them concerning eithervaginal or anal sex. [46] The judge was satisfied the Crown had proven Mr. Figg took no steps to ascertain whether L.A.S. consented tosexual activity. [47] Mr.
Figg argues that because the judge failed to reconcile “important inconsistencies” in the evidenceconcerning mens rea, or whether Mr. Figg had an honest but mistaken believe in communicated consent, there is a material omissionwhich leaves this Court in the position where it cannot meaningfully review the judge’s decision. [48] Because of this alleged material omission in the analysis, Mr. Figg says meaningful appellate review isforeclosed. I disagree. Karakatsanis J. dealt with this issue in G.F., as did Drapeau J.A. in Smith-Kingsley v. R., 2021 NBCA 51, [2021]N.B.J. No. 296 (QL).
To be successful on this ground, Mr. Figg must demonstrate reversible error in the judge’s credibility assessment(G.F., at paras. 99-101), or that something in the record reveals the judge applied a different standard to his evidence (Smith-Kingsley, atpara. 30). [49] It is clear the judge was alive to the fact there were differing versions of the events that transpired that evening.The judge reviewed the testimony of both L.A.S. and Mr. Figg. He accepted L.A.S.’s version of events. In my view, the reasons were
both functional and sufficient. The judge cited R. v. Barton, 2019 SCC 33, [2019] 2 S.C.R. 579, on the issue of communicated consent.The judge rejected Mr. Figg’s version of events because there was no evidence that he had obtained communicated consent, and thejudge was persuaded Mr. Figg knew L.A.S. did not consent. [50] In Barton, Moldaver J. wrote: A conviction for sexual assault, like any other true crime, requires that the Crown prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accusedcommitted the actus reus and had the necessary mens rea.
A person commits the actus reus of sexual assault “if he touches anotherperson in a sexual way without her consent” (R. v. J.A., 2011 SCC 28, [2011] 2 S.C.R. 440, at para. 23).
The mens rea consists of the“intention to touch and knowing of, or being reckless of or wilfully blind to, a lack of consent on the part of the person touched” (R. v.Ewanchuk, (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 330, at para. 42). [para. 87] [51] The judge’s finding that L.A.S., through her words or actions, did not communicate her consent, is consistentwith Barton where it was made clear that “a belief that silence, passivity or ambiguous conduct constitutes consent is a mistake of law,and provides no defence” (para. 98).
However, L.A.S.’s evidence revealed she said no to fellatio, she gagged and was crying, and shesaid she did not want to do it. As Mr. Figg tried to pull down her pants, she was trying to pull them up. She was crying and yelling into apillow during anal sex and said “No, not there.” After the assaults, she locked herself in a bathroom and called her brother to come andget her. She was crying and was having an anxiety attack. Her brother heard Mr.
Figg hollering in the background and described him asbeing intoxicated when he came to pick her up. [52] In my view, the judge did not apply a stricter standard of scrutiny to Mr. Figg’s testimony. He canvassed thefacts, he made findings of credibility based on those facts, and he made a decision that withstands appellate review. I would dismiss thisground of appeal. D.
Did the judge impermissibly rely on stereotypical assumptions about human behaviour? [53] Once again, this argument is wrapped around the judge’s finding that L.A.S. had difficulty in explainingherself and in recalling specific details of events, because, although she was 38-39 years old, it was “patently” obvious to the judge shedid not function at that level. The rule against relying on myths and stereotypical behaviour to assess the credibility of victims of sexualassault was laid out in R. v.
A.G., 2000 SCC 17, [2000] 1 S.C.R. 439: This Court has repeatedly held that myths and stereotypes have no place in a rational and just system of law, as they jeopardize thecourts’ truth-finding function. (See R. v. Seaboyer, (SCC), [1991] 2 S.C.R. 577, at pp. 604 and 630, per McLachlin J.,and at p. 651, per L’Heureux-Dubé J. dissenting in part; R. v. Osolin, (SCC), [1993] 4 S.C.R. 595, at p. 670, per Cory J.;R. v. Esau, (SCC), [1997] 2 S.C.R. 777, at para. 82, per McLachlin J.; R. v. S. (R.D.), (SCC), [1997]3 S.C.R. 484, at para. 29, per L’Heureux-Dubé and McLachlin JJ.; R. v.
Ewanchuk, (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 330, atparas. 91-99, per L’Heureux-Dubé J.; R. v. W. (G.), (SCC), [1999] 3 S.C.R. 597, at para. 29, per L’Heureux-Dubé J.)[para. 2] [54] As noted, the issue of L.A.S.’s testimonial capacity was not raised at trial; therefore, the judge was under noobligation to conduct a voir dire (see R. v. D.A.I., 2012 SCC 5, [2012] 1 S.C.R. 149). There are three different concepts at play here: (1)the witness’s competence to testify; (2) the admissibility of her evidence; and (3) the weight of her testimony (D.A.I., at para. 15). [55] Competence is a threshold requirement.
Generally, witnesses are presumed to have the basic “capacity” totestify. If a party challenges that competency, that party may be called upon to show there is an issue as to the capacity of the proposedwitness (D.A.I., at para. 16). L.A.S.’s competency was not challenged in this case. [56] The first time the issue of L.A.S.’s intellectual capacity was raised was during her direct testimony when shestated she suffers from dyslexia, reads words backwards and has difficulty reading and having conversations with people.
During cross-examination, defence counsel established she suffers from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), diabetes, depression andstress disorder. The first time the words “mental health issues” were raised, was when defence counsel asked the following during cross-examination:
Q. […] Is there any other mental health issues that you – the doctor told you you have and you maybe have to take medication for or you’re not taking medication because the Band can’t pay for it or INAC doesn’t pay for it, anything like that? A. No. [Transcript, Vol. #1, pp. 117-118] [ 57 ] During the cross-examination of Mr. Figg, he was asked: Q. You knew her through her brother, and then you knew her from the convenience store. Did you know that she had, like, a [sic] intellectual disability? A. No. Q.
So, all that interaction you had with her, at the convenience store, up in your kitchen for five minutes, and down in the basement, you didn’t notice that she may have a bit of an intellectual disability? A. No, sh – – didn’t perceive to have anything wrong with her. [Transcript, January 28, 2021, p. 91] [ 58 ] Mr.
Figg’s submission that the judge relied on stereotypical assumptions about human behavior, is based on the judge’s statement: Her testimony, given in examination [in] chief, and even more so during cross examination, was punctuated with bouts of crying and being non-responsive requiring several recesses so she could compose herself before continuing. I note this not to engender sympathy for her, but to describe a witness who had obviously had difficulty in explaining herself and in recalling specific details of events.
Although 40 years old, it was patently obvious to me that she [does] not function intellectually at that level. She was a child-like witness and her evidence should be viewed through that prism. Despite the discrepancies noted in the extraneous matter, she was unequivocal in saying she knew what had happened to her and that in her mind at the time of offence she did not consent, although she let it happen because she was scared and didn’t know what to do. [Transcript, vol. 3, pp. 9-10] [ 59 ] Mr.
Figg submits the judge’s decision to assess L.A.S.’s testimony as if she were a child, in the absence of expert testimony to support the statement, coloured his approach to the ultimate finding that she did not consent to sexual activity with Mr. Figg. He suggests this was an impermissible reliance on stereotypical assumptions about human behaviour. [ 60 ] Mr. Figg also submits there was no evidence that would make it “patently obvious” L.A.S.’s testimony should have been viewed through the prism of a childlike witness and that such a finding could not have been made simply by observing her testimony.
He argues further, the judge’s statements show he applied ungrounded, stereotypical assumptions of human behaviour and intellect to reinforce L.A.S.’s testimony and to explain away the inconsistencies. He states the judge’s explanation of how he came to the conclusion he did, was lacking, and in the absence of expert evidence, he was unable to reach that conclusion. I disagree. [ 61 ] Professors Janine Benedict and Isabel Grant, in their
article titled, Hearing the Sexual Assault Complaints of Women with Mental Disabilities: Consent, Capacity, and Mistaken Belief , (2007) 52 McGill L.J. 243, trace the history of sexual assault cases in which the victims suffered intellectual and mental health disabilities. I note, parenthetically, that the Supreme Court referred to this
article in G.F . The authors concluded that: Canadian studies on the prevalence of sexual assault among women with mental disabilities unanimously find that women with disabilities – and particularly women with mental disabilities – are at a higher risk of physical and sexual violence than women in general. [p. 255] [ 62 ] That finding was tied to the amendments of s. 271 of the Code and subsequent jurisprudence concerning informed consent. The authors argue that when capacity is an issue, determinations are almost entirely fact-based. Expert evidence may
be given to prove intellectual disability, but it is not required (R. v. A.A., (ON CA), [2001] O.J. No. 1718 (C.A.) (QL);R. v. Aminian, [1999] O.J. No. 4240 (C.A.) (QL)). [63] In R. v. Slatter, 2020 SCC 36, [2020] S.C.J. No. 36 (QL), a sexual assault case where the complainant sufferedfrom an intellectual or developmental disability, the Supreme Court allowed the appeal and ordered a new trial in a case where the trialjudge relied heavily on the expert witness evidence.
Moldaver J. wrote: We would simply underline that when assessing the credibility and reliability of testimony given by an individual who has an intellectualor developmental disability, courts should be wary of preferring expert evidence that attributes general characteristics to that individual,rather than focusing on the individual’s veracity and their actual capacities as demonstrated by their ability to perceive, recall and recountthe events in issue, in light of the totality of the evidence.
Over-reliance on generalities can perpetuate harmful myths and stereotypesabout individuals with disabilities, which is inimical to the truth-seeking process, and creates additional barriers for those seeking accessto justice. [para. 2] [64] As noted, the trier of fact is in the best position to assess the credibility and reliability of witness testimony. InSlatter, Moldaver J. stated a judge should focus on an individual’s veracity and their actual capacities as demonstrated by their ability toperceive, recall and recount events in the totality of the evidence.
In my view, this is exactly what the judge did in this case. [65] In G.F., Karakatsanis J. wrote: As Slatter demonstrates, a trial judge’s findings of credibility deserve particular deference. While the law requires some articulation ofthe reasons for those findings, it also recognizes that in our system of justice the trial judge is the fact finder and has the benefit of theintangible impact of conducting the trial. Sometimes, credibility findings are made simpler by, for example, objective, independentevidence.
Corroborative evidence can support the finding of a lack of voluntary consent, but it is of course not required, nor alwaysavailable. Frequently, particularly in a sexual assault case where the crime is often committed in private, there is little additionalevidence, and articulating reasons for findings of credibility can be more challenging.
Mindful of the presumption of innocence and theCrown's burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, a trial judge strives to explain why a complainant is found to be credible, orwhy the accused is found not to be credible, or why the evidence does not raise a reasonable doubt. But, as this Court stated in Gagnon,at para. 20: Assessing credibility is not a science.
It is very difficult for a trial judge to articulate with precision the complex intermingling ofimpressions that emerge after watching and listening to witnesses and attempting to reconcile the various versions of events. [para. 81] [66] In this case, the judge applied his common sense and life experience when he observed that L.A.S. appearedchildlike. His detailed analysis was not solely focused on this observation. This was not an overreach, nor was it a violation of the ruleagainst myths and stereotypes of human behaviour in sexual assault trials.
There is no inviolable rule on how those who are the victimsof sexual trauma will behave (see R. v. D.D., 2000 SCC 43, [2000] 2 S.C.R. 275, at para. 65). [67] In my view, the judge’s observation that L.A.S. appeared to be childlike did not inform the judge’s consentanalysis but was merely an observation and it could not be said to be a stereotypical assumption about human behavior.
The statementcould have been made to support the judge’s earlier observations concerning the manner in which L.A.S. testified, and it is my view thejudicial conclusion was not tainted as a result. [68] I would dismiss this ground of appeal. V. Disposition [69] For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction [1] Le 23 mars 2021, M. Joseph Maurice Figg a été déclaré coupable d’agression sexuelle, infraction visée à l’ al. 271a) du Code criminel , L.R.C. 1985, ch. C-46 (le Code criminel ), et, le 18 juin 2021, a été condamné à une peine d’emprisonnement de 30 mois. Il interjette appel de sa déclaration de culpabilité et fonde son appel sur des questions de droit et des questions mixtes de droit et de fait. Il a abandonné sa motion sollicitant l’autorisation d’interjeter appel de sa peine.
Les principales questions en litige en ce qui concerne sa déclaration de culpabilité portent sur les conclusions du juge en matière de crédibilité et son analyse du consentement communiqué. [2] M. Figg demande à la Cour soit d’accueillir son appel, d’annuler la déclaration de culpabilité et d’ordonner l’inscription d’un jugement ou verdict d’acquittement, soit d’accueillir l’appel, d’annuler la déclaration de culpabilité et d’ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès devant juge et jury. Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel. II. Contexte [3] La plaignante, L.A.S., et M.
Figg sont tous les deux membres de la collectivité de la Première Nation de Kingsclear, située à plusieurs kilomètres de la ville de Fredericton. Au moment de la déclaration de culpabilité, L.A.S. avait 40 ans et M. Figg avait 49 ans. L.A.S. était concierge à temps partiel au dépanneur situé dans la collectivité de la Première Nation. Le 26 juin 2019, M. Figg est allé au dépanneur pour retirer de l’argent du guichet automatique bancaire afin d’acheter un chandail à son oncle.
Pendant qu’il était au dépanneur, il a eu une brève conversation avec L.A.S. pendant laquelle elle l’a informé qu’elle produisait des disques compacts musicaux et qu’elle pourrait lui en faire un pour cinq dollars. Même si M. Figg n’avait jamais préalablement rencontré L.A.S., il l’a décrite comme flirteuse, et il a accepté de lui acheter un disque compact. [4] Plus tard le même jour, par l’entremise de Facebook Messenger, L.A.S. a informé M. Figg qu’elle avait fait le CD. Il lui a dit de [TRADUCTION] « venir », mais qu’il n’avait pas d’argent et qu’il lui donnerait [TRADUCTION] « quelque chose en échange ».
L.A.S. a témoigné qu’elle croyait que cela voulait dire qu’il lui donnerait des articles d’épicerie ou quelque chose d’autre que de l’argent en guise de paiement pour le CD. Elle a attendu jusqu’à minuit environ, puis a traversé la collectivité à pied pour se rendre chez M. Figg, ce qui lui a pris à peu près 20 à 25 minutes. Elle connaissait la maison parce qu’elle y avait déjà livré des dépliants publicitaires. Elle a cogné à la porte d’en avant et, comme il n’y avait pas de réponse, elle est allée cogner à une autre porte, et on lui a dit d’entrer. La porte s’ouvrait sur la cuisine. M.
Figg lui a demandé si elle voulait quelque chose à boire. Elle a demandé un Coke Diète et il l’a invitée au sous-sol, où se trouvait sa [TRADUCTION] « caverne de l’homme ». [5] Les témoignages de L.A.S. et de M. Figg au sujet des événements qui ont suivi divergent. Il y a de la preuve contradictoire en ce qui concerne les attouchements des seins de L.A.S. au cours d’une conversation qui s’est déroulée à côté de la table de billard. L.A.S. a témoigné qu’après qu’elle se soit assise sur le divan, M. Figg s’était positionné devant elle, debout, et lui avait demandé de lui faire une fellation.
Il s’est ensuivi des actes sexuels oraux, vaginaux et anaux, auxquels L.A.S. affirme ne pas avoir consenti, et pendant lesquels elle avait peur d’être [TRADUCTION] « frappée ». M. Figg reconnaît que les actes ont eu lieu, mais il soutient catégoriquement que la relation sexuelle était consensuelle. [6] Il y a aussi des divergences dans la preuve en ce qui concerne la question de savoir si M. Figg était ivre. L.A.S. l’a décrit comme sentant la bière et étant ivre, et a déclaré que [TRADUCTION] « quelque chose » était louche. M. Figg a témoigné qu’il n’avait consommé que trois bières durant toute la soirée.
À un moment donné, après les rapports sexuels vaginaux, M. Figg a éjaculé sur ses mains puis s’est retiré dans la salle de bain du sous-sol pour se laver. L.A.S. s’est alors rhabillée et s’est rendue à la salle de bain de l’étage supérieur, où elle a ouvert le robinet de l’évier afin d’étouffer le son de sa voix, puis appelé son frère pour qu’il vienne la chercher. Elle a déclaré qu’elle était en train de vivre une crise d’angoisse et qu’elle pleurait.
[7] Selon le témoignage de B.S., le frère de L.A.S., cette dernière lui a dit, lorsqu’elle l’a appelé, qu’elle était cachée dans la salle de bain et que Joe (M. Figg) allait lui faire mal. Il pouvait entendre un homme hurler en arrière-plan : [TRADUCTION] « Mais où diable es-tu? Qu’est-ce qui se passe? » Il a témoigné que la voix de L.A.S. était tremblante, qu’elle pleurait et qu’elle parlait à voix basse. [8] B.S. et sa conjointe sont arrivés quelques minutes plus tard. À ce moment-là, L.A.S. était assise sur le perron avec une bouteille de jus à ses côtés, et M. Figg était derrière elle. B.S. a décrit M.
Figg comme étant ivre, ce qu’il a déduit de la manière dont il marchait et dont il marmonnait et [TRADUCTION] « balbutiait » ses mots. On a appelé la GRC. Alors que B.S. et sa conjointe reconduisaient L.A.S. à la maison, cette dernière leur a divulgué que M. Figg l’avait [TRADUCTION] « dérangée », ce qui signifie dans leur culture qu’il l’avait agressée sexuellement. L.A.S. a plus tard été transportée à l’hôpital, où elle a été examinée par une infirmière formée dans la réalisation d’examens à la suite d’agressions sexuelles. L’ADN de M. Figg était présent. [9] M.
Figg a par la suite été accusé d’avoir commis l’infraction visée à l’ al. 271a) du Code criminel . Un procès tenu devant la Cour provinciale a mené à une déclaration de culpabilité, dont il interjette appel. III. Moyens d’appel [10] Les moyens d’appel, en résumé, sont les suivants :
a) le juge a commis une erreur de droit lorsqu’il a omis de [TRADUCTION] « donner effet » à [TRADUCTION] « d’importantes » incohérences présentes dans le témoignage de L.A.S.;
b) le juge a commis une erreur de droit lorsqu’il a évalué le témoignage de L.A.S. comme si elle était une témoin [TRADUCTION] « assimilable à une enfant » en l’absence d’une preuve indépendante à l’appui de cette affirmation;
c) le juge a commis une erreur de droit en appliquant un degré d’examen plus strict à la preuve de M. Figg qu’à celle du ministère public;
d) le juge a commis une erreur de droit en invoquant de manière inappropriée des présomptions stéréotypées au sujet du comportement et de l’intellect humains pour étayer le témoignage de L.A.S. Tous ces moyens s’amalgament ensemble. L’assertion selon laquelle l’analyse du juge était entachée par la conclusion que la plaignante [TRADUCTION] « était une témoin assimilable à une enfant et que son témoignage devrait être vu à travers ce prisme » est un élément qui est présent dans chaque moyen d’appel.
En réalité, les moyens d’appel font état d’une plainte plus générale, selon laquelle le juge n’a pas tiré des conclusions de fait particulières ni démontré s’il avait un doute raisonnable. IV. Norme de contrôle [11] En l’absence d’erreur manifeste et dominante, il y a lieu de faire preuve de retenue à l’égard des conclusions tirées par les juges de première instance en matière d’appréciation de la crédibilité et de traitement des déclarations antérieures ( R. c. Gagnon , 2006 CSC 17 , [2006] 1 R.C.S. 621 , par. 10 ; R. c. R.E.M. , 2008 CSC 51 , [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3 , par. 28 et 32 ).
Comme il est indiqué ci-dessus, M. Figg affirme que le juge a commis une erreur de droit lorsqu’il a évalué le témoignage de L.A.S. du point de vue d’une témoin [TRADUCTION] « assimilable à une enfant » en l’absence d’une preuve indépendante à l’appui de cette affirmation. [12] M. Figg soutient aussi que le juge a commis une erreur mixte de fait et de droit. À moins qu’on puisse isoler une erreur de droit, la norme qui s’applique à de telles erreurs est celle de l’erreur manifeste et dominante (voir l’arrêt Housen c.
Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , par. 36 ). [13] S’agissant de la question de la crédibilité, la juge Larlee a écrit ce qui suit dans l’arrêt Robichaud c. R. , 2014
NBCA 1, 415 R.N.-B. (2e) 218 : Il est rare que nous modifiions la conclusion d’un juge du procès en matière de crédibilité : en l’absence d’une erreur manifeste etdominante, les conclusions de fait et les conclusions relatives à la crédibilité commandent la déférence (voir les arrêts R. c. Clark, 2005CSC 2, [2005] 1 R.C.S. 6, par. 9; R. c. Gagnon, 2006 CSC 17, [2006] 1 R.C.S. 621, par. 10; R. c. R.E.M., 2008 CSC 51, [2008] 3 R.C.S.3, par. 48 à 51). En fait, les deux avocats invoquent une décision récente de notre Cour, l’arrêt Hubbard c.
R., 2009 NBCA 28, 360 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, dans lequel le juge d’appel Bell explique dans quelles circonstances une cour d’appel intervient : Dans l’arrêt R. c.
R. (D.), (SCC), [1996] 2 R.C.S. 291, [1996] A.C.S. no 8 (QL), le juge Major, qui rendait jugement aunom de la majorité, a examiné la question des motifs insuffisants du juge du procès : […] Les tribunaux d’appel n’interviendront pas lorsque les motifs montrent que le juge du procès a examiné les questions importantesd’une affaire, ou lorsque les motifs du juge du procès ressortent clairement du dossier ou que la preuve est telle qu’il n’est pas nécessaired’exposer des motifs. […] [par. 55] [par. 15] Voir aussi Gillis c. R., 2014 NBCA 58, 426 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, par. 74. [14] Récemment, dans l’arrêt Ozer c.
R., 2022 NBCA 9, [2022] A.N.-B. no 68 (QL), une affaire d’agressionsexuelle, le juge en chef Richard a écrit ce qui suit : Très récemment, la Cour suprême du Canada a adressé de nouveau un message clair aux tribunaux d’appel. Dans R. c.
G.F., 2021 CSC 20, [2021] A.C.S. no 20 (QL), la juge Karakatsanis, auteure des motifs de la majorité, a expliqué encore une fois que « les conclusionssur la crédibilité que rend un juge du procès commandent une déférence particulière » (par. 81) et que les tribunaux d’appel « ne doiventpas décortiquer avec finesse les motifs du juge du procès à la recherche d’une erreur » (par. 69). Comme le signalait l’arrêt Mitchell c.
R., 2020 NBCA 34, [2020] A.N.-B. no 98 (QL), les tribunaux d’appel ne sont habilités ni à juger de nouveau une affaire en matièrecriminelle ni à substituer leur évaluation de la crédibilité ou leur opinion au sujet de la preuve à celles d’un juge de première instance oud’un jury.
Aussi difficile qu’il soit de s’y résoudre, « [m]ême si, après avoir passé en revue le dossier de la preuve, un tribunal d’appeléprouvait un doute raisonnable, cela ne serait pas suffisant, en soi, pour infirmer une déclaration de culpabilité » (par. 1). [par. 3] [15] Lorsque l’issue d’un procès dépend largement des conclusions du juge en matière de crédibilité, un appelfondé sur des lacunes que présenteraient les motifs sera rarement accueilli (R. c. Dinardo, 2008 CSC 24, [2008] 1 R.C.S. 788, par. 26;R. c. Vuradin, 2013 CSC 38, [2013] 2 R.C.S. 639, par. 11). [16] Dans les faits, la principale plainte de M.
Figg se rapporte à ce qu’il croit être l’insuffisance des motifs du juge.La Cour suprême, dans l’arrêt Vuradin, a traité de cette question : Pour décider si les motifs du juge du procès sont suffisants, la question principale à trancher est la suivante : considérés dans leurcontexte, les motifs indiquent-ils pourquoi le juge a rendu la décision qu’il a rendue relative aux chefs d’accusation concernant laplaignante? En l’espèce, les motifs du juge du procès satisfont à ce critère. Premièrement, le juge du procès a estimé que le témoignage de la plaignante était convaincant, c’est-à-dire crédible et fiable.
Il a motivécette opinion en signalant un échange entre la plaignante et le policier chargé de l’enquête à qui elle a exprimé sa crainte d’êtreconsidérée comme une mauvaise fille parce qu’elle avait peut-être aimé ce que lui avait fait l’appelant. Le juge du procès a dit que cespropos [TRADUCTION] « avaient un accent de vérité ». Deuxièmement, le juge du procès a reconnu les questions en litige relatives à la crédibilité de la plaignante. Il n’était pas tenu de traiterde tous les éléments de preuve sur un point donné ou de répondre à chaque argument soulevé par les avocats : R.E.M., par. 32 et 64;Dinardo, par. 30.
En l’espèce, il a relevé les failles du témoignage de la plaignante – l’absence d’un hymen, les contradictions quant aunombre d’incidents, l’impossibilité physique de certaines allégations et les questions suggestives posées par le policier qui a enregistré sa
déclaration. Il a traité de chacune de ces failles, quoique brièvement, estimant en fin de compte qu’elles n’avaient aucune incidence sur saconclusion globale. Il a qualifié d’hypothétique la suggestion d’invention faite par l’appelant. Troisièmement, le juge du procès a tenu compte de la dénégation des allégations par l’appelant. Il a reconnu que si l’appelant avaitmieux maîtrisé l’anglais, il aurait peut-être présenté un témoignage plus étoffé. Considérés dans leur contexte, les motifs du juge duprocès révèlent qu’il a rejeté la dénégation de l’appelant.
Plus loin dans ses motifs, le juge du procès a affirmé, à propos des autres chefsd’accusation, que la dénégation n’était pas sincère et ne soulevait pas de doute. [par. 15 à 18] [17] L’accusé dans l’arrêt Vuradin se plaignait que le juge avait omis d’expliquer pourquoi il avait rejeté sadénégation de l’agression sexuelle, qu’il n’avait pas répondu à des questions en litige ayant trait à la crédibilité de la plaignante et qu’iln’avait pas résolu les incohérences présentes dans le témoignage de cette dernière. [18] Comme on l’a affirmé dans l’arrêt Dinardo, un appel fondé sur l’insuffisance des motifs ne sera accueilli ques’il est jugé que les lacunes des motifs exprimés par le juge du procès font obstacle à un examen valable en appel (par. 25).
Je reconnaisque les motifs en l’espèce ne sont pas d’une clarté exemplaire. Le juge n’a jamais dit qu’il ne croyait pas M. Figg. Il était plutôtconvaincu que L.A.S., dans son esprit subjectif, n’avait pas consenti à l’activité sexuelle qui a eu lieu. Il a aussi conclu que M. Figgn’avait pris aucune mesure pour s’assurer du consentement parce qu’il [TRADUCTION] « suivait le courant ». [19] Il est présumé que le juge connaît le droit. Le juge en l’espèce a examiné les témoignages de la plaignante etde M. Figg et a retenu à
titre de fait, sans l’indiquer expressément, que les événements se sont déroulés comme l’a décrit L.A.S. Le jugen’éprouvait aucun doute. Comme on l’a affirmé dans l’arrêt Dinardo, les décisions relatives à la crédibilité commandent un degré élevéde déférence (par. 26). Même si l’accusé a le droit de savoir pourquoi le juge du procès n’éprouvait aucun doute raisonnable, il fautconsidérer les motifs globalement, dans le contexte de la preuve présentée, des arguments invoqués et du procès (voir R. c.
R.E.M., 2008CSC 51, [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3, par. 16). [20] Dans l’arrêt R.E.M., la juge en chef McLachlin a conclu que l’omission du juge du procès d’expliquerpourquoi il a écarté la dénégation plausible des accusations par l’accusé ne signifie pas que les motifs sont déficients, à condition qu’ilsdémontrent, de façon générale, que, lorsque les témoignages de la plaignante et de l’accusé se contredisent, le juge a retenu letémoignage de la plaignante (par. 66).
Voir aussi l’arrêt Vuradin, par. 13. [21] À mon avis, lorsqu’on lit les motifs dans leur ensemble en l’espèce, il ne fait aucun doute que le juge a retenule témoignage de la plaignante, qu’il était convaincu que L.A.S. n’avait pas consenti à l’activité sexuelle et que les éléments del’infraction avaient été établis. A. Le premier moyen d’appel – Les incohérences présentes dans la preuve [22] Bien que le juge du procès ne soit pas tenu de résoudre chaque incohérence présente dans le témoignage d’untémoin, il devrait aborder celles qui sont importantes (R. c. R.A., 2017 ONCA 714, [2017] O.J.
No. 4772 (QL), par. 45). Le juge enl’espèce était sensible aux contradictions entre le témoignage de L.A.S. et sa déclaration de type K.G.B. (voir R. c. B. (K.G.), (SCC), [1993] 1 R.C.S. 740, [1993] A.C.S. no 22 (QL). Il était convaincu que, malgré celles-ci, L.A.S. [TRADUCTION] « aaffirmé sans équivoque qu’elle savait ce qui lui était arrivé et que, dans son esprit, au moment où l’infraction a été commise, elle n’avaitpas donné son consentement » (transcription, vol. 3, le 23 mars 2021, p. 10). L’absence de consentement est subjective (voir R. c.
Ewanchuk, (SCC), [1999] 1 R.C.S. 330, [1999] A.C.S. no 10 (QL), par. 26 et 27). Toutefois, la question de savoir sil’accusé était conscient de l’absence de consentement se rapporte à la mens rea de l’infraction et à la question de la croyance erronée auconsentement communiqué. [23] M. Figg soutient que le juge a commis une erreur lorsqu’il n’a pas donné effet aux incohérences présentes dansle témoignage de L.A.S., compte tenu de sa déclaration selon laquelle il considérerait son témoignage à travers le prisme d’une témoinassimilable à une enfant.
Le juge a traité des incohérences présentes dans son témoignage et, en fin de compte, au lieu de disséquerchaque élément du témoignage qui était contradictoire, a conclu ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « […] les événements qu’elle a décrits sesont en fait produits, et Figg l’admet ». Il a conclu que la déclaration de L.A.S. selon laquelle elle n’a pas consenti doit être évaluée[TRADUCTION] « compte tenu de la totalité de la preuve ». Je suis du même avis. [24] Dans l’arrêt R. c. Cain, 2017 NSCA 96, [2017] N.S.J. No. 512 (QL), pourvoi à la Cour suprême rejeté (2018
CSC 20, [2018] 1 R.C.S. 631), M. Cain a été accusé d’agression sexuelle, infraction visée à l’art. 271 du Code criminel. Aucontre-interrogatoire, il a été révélé qu’il y avait des incohérences entre les déclarations écrites que la plaignante avait données à la policeet son témoignage. L’accusé a demandé au juge du procès de douter de la crédibilité de la plaignante parce que les contradictionstouchaient au cœur de l’infraction reprochée.
Le juge a décidé que les contradictions étaient négligeables et attribuables à la perte demémoire à court terme de la plaignante, qui avait été causée par un accident vasculaire cérébral. Le juge était convaincu que lesincohérences ne portaient pas atteinte à la fiabilité de son témoignage ayant trait aux allégations d’agression sexuelle. M. Cain a étédéclaré coupable et l’appel qu’il a interjeté à la Cour d’appel de la Nouvelle-Écosse a été rejeté. Le juge d’appel Scanlan était dissident.Un appel de plein droit interjeté à la Cour suprême a aussi été rejeté. [25] Dans l’arrêt R. c.
W.H., 2013 CSC 22, [2013] 2 R.C.S. 180, le juge Cromwell, s’exprimant au nom de lamajorité, a rétabli la déclaration de culpabilité rendue au procès par un jury dans une affaire où l’accusé avait soutenu que le témoignagede la plaignante n’était pas digne de confiance en raison d’incohérences entre son témoignage et des déclarations antérieures. Il a cité l’arrêt R. c. François, (SCC), [1994] 2 R.C.S. 827, [1994] A.C.S. no 66 (QL), où la juge McLachlin (tel était alors sontitre) a écrit ce qui suit : […] 2.
L’appréciation de la crédibilité ne tient pas seulement à des considérations objectives (p. ex. l’incohérence ou une raison d’inventer).La juge McLachlin ajoute aux p. 836-837 : Cette décision [relative à la crédibilité] repose non pas seulement sur des facteurs comme l’évaluation de l’importance de quelqueprétendue incohérence ou raison d’inventer susceptible de faire l’objet d’un examen raisonné par une cour d’appel, mais sur lecomportement du témoin et le bon sens des jurés, qui ne peuvent pas être évalués par la cour d’appel.
Il s’agit, dans ce dernier cas, del’« avantage » que possède le juge des faits, que ce soit un juge ou un jury, mais que la cour d’appel ne possède pas et qu’elle doitprendre en considération au moment de décider si le verdict est déraisonnable : R. c. W. (R.), précité. [Je souligne.] […] [par. 32] [26] En l’espèce, le juge a reconnu qu’il était tenu d’évaluer la crédibilité de L.A.S. et de M. Figg en appliquant les directives énoncées dans l’arrêt R. c. W.(D.), (SCC), [1991] 1 R.C.S. 742, [1991] A.C.S. no 26 (QL). M. Figg n’était pastenu de prouver son innocence.
Il a correctement défini le fardeau dont le ministère public devait s’acquitter, c’est-à-dire celui de prouverque M. Figg avait touché L.A.S. intentionnellement, que les attouchements étaient de nature sexuelle, que L.A.S. n’avait pas consenti àl’activité sexuelle et que M. Figg était conscient qu’elle n’y avait pas consenti.
À mon avis, les motifs, quoiqu’imparfaits, établissent quele juge connaissait le droit, qu’il n’a pas renversé le fardeau de la preuve et qu’il était convaincu que les éléments essentiels del’infraction avaient été établis. [27] Le juge a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]Malgré les divergences relevées en ce qui concerne des questions accessoires, elle a affirmé sans équivoque qu’elle savait ce qui lui étaitarrivé et que, dans son esprit, au moment où l’infraction a été commise, elle n’avait pas consenti, même si elle a laissé les événements sedérouler parce qu’elle avait peur et ne savait pas quoi faire.
Son état d’esprit, lorsqu’elle a appelé son frère de la maison de M. Figg, enpleurant plutôt que dans son att… attitude heureuse habituelle, corrobore ce fait. Je retiens sa preuve sur ce point et je suis convaincuque, dans son état d’esprit subjectif interne, tôt ce matin-là, elle n’a pas consenti aux actes sexuels.
Je dois ensuite me pencher sur laconnaissance, par l’accusé, de l’absence de consentement de la plaignante. [Transcription, vol. 3, p. 10] [28] Une fois le juge convaincu que l’activité sexuelle non consensuelle avait eu lieu, il n’avait pas besoind’analyser minutieusement les divergences mineures relevées dans la preuve, lesquelles étaient accessoires et sans incidence sur lerésultat.
Même s’il n’y avait aucune preuve d’expert établissant que L.A.S. avait une déficience intellectuelle, le juge, comme nous leverrons ci-dessous, pouvait conclure, en conjuguant ses observations personnelles et son bon sens avec la preuve présentée lors ducontre-interrogatoire, que L.A.S. disait la vérité, et ce, même si certaines parties de son témoignage étaient contradictoires. Cetteconclusion sur la crédibilité appelle la déférence (R.E.M.; R. c.
Dinardo, par. 26). [29] D’après un examen fonctionnel des motifs, je ne vois rien qui pourrait me persuader que le juge ait renoncé àexercer sa fonction d’examiner de façon critique les incohérences présentes dans le témoignage de L.A.S. Dans l’appréciation d’untémoignage, il faut tenir compte de toute incohérence qui est alléguée. Toutefois, il faut aussi tenir compte de la raisonnabilité de
l’explication offerte relativement à cette incohérence (François, p. 839 et 840; R. c. W.H., par. 45 et 46). Je suis d’avis de rejeter cemoyen d’appel. B. Le deuxième moyen d’appel – Le juge a-t-il commis une erreur en évaluant le témoignage de L.A.S. comme si elle était unetémoin assimilable à une enfant? [30] Une fois le juge convaincu que l’actus reus avait été établi et que L.A.S. n’avait pas consenti, il s’est penchésur la question de la connaissance, par M. Figg, de l’absence de consentement. [31] Dans l’arrêt R. c.
G.F., 2021 CSC 20, [2021] A.C.S. no 20 (QL), la juge Karakatsanis s’est exprimée ainsi : Le consentement est l’assise sur laquelle sont fondées les règles de droit canadiennes relatives aux agressions sexuelles. Depuis desdécennies, la Cour reconnaît que « [l]e pouvoir de l’individu de décider qui peut toucher son corps et de quelle façon est un aspectfondamental de la dignité et de l’autonomie de l’être humain » : R. c. Ewanchuk, (SCC), [1999] 1 R.C.S. 330, par. 28.Par conséquent, le consentement est soigneusement circonscrit et ses contours sont jalousement protégés.
Il est maintenant incontestableque le consentement est un état d’esprit subjectif, entièrement personnel à la plaignante. Le consentement implicite n’a pas sa place auCanada, et l’éventail des croyances erronées qu’un accusé peut légalement avoir au sujet du consentement de la plaignante eststrictement limité par le Code criminel, L.R.C. 1985, ch. C-46. [par. 1] [32] Dans l’arrêt G.F., la plaignante avait affirmé qu’elle n’avait pas la capacité de consentir à des relationssexuelles en raison de son état d’ébriété.
La juge Karakatsanis a examiné les faits et a conclu que la plaignante avait initialement et àplusieurs reprises dit aux deux accusés d’arrêter. Toutefois, étant donné qu’elle était malade, confuse et qu’elle sentait qu’elle n’avaitplus aucun contrôle sur elle-même, elle ne se sentait pas capable de décider de participer ou non.
Elle a tenté de les repousser pendant uncertain temps, mais s’est lassée et « s’est juste laissé faire » (par. 9). [33] Au contraire, les deux accusés ont témoigné que les relations sexuelles étaient consensuelles, et G.F. atémoigné qu’il avait demandé au moins sept fois à la plaignante de lui confirmer qu’elle consentait bel et bien à l’activité sexuelle, cequ’elle a fait. Au procès, les deux accusés ont été déclarés coupables.
La Cour d’appel de l’Ontario a ordonné la tenue d’un nouveauprocès et a conclu que le juge avait omis de cerner les facteurs pertinents devant être pris en compte lorsqu’il s’agit d’évaluer si l’ébriétéa privé la plaignante de sa capacité à consentir et qu’il n’avait pas examiné la question du consentement en premier lieu et séparément dela question de la capacité. [34] En l’espèce, personne n’a fait valoir devant le juge du procès ou devant notre Cour que L.A.S. n’avait pas lacapacité. Aucun voir-dire n’a été demandé en application de l’art. 16 de la
Loi sur la preuve au Canada, L.R.C. 1985, ch. C-5. Le jugen’a pas conclu que L.A.S. avait une déficience intellectuelle. [35] Les juges peuvent se fonder sur leur propre expérience de la vie et leur bon sens lorsqu’ils évaluent des témoignages. Dans l’arrêt Brown c. R., 2021 NBCA 40, [2021] A.N.-B. no 222 (QL), le juge Green a écrit qu’un juge « ne laisse pas sonbon sens à la porte de la salle d’audience avant d’entrer prendre son siège » (par. 27). De même, dans l’arrêt Russell c.
R., 2021 NBCA 19, [2021] A.N.-B. no 104 (QL), le juge Drapeau a fait l’observation suivante : Les juges de première instance ne sont pas priés de mettre leur bon sens au vestiaire de la salle d’audience. Au contraire, leur sermentd’office leur commande de rendre justice selon le droit, et le bon sens joue quasi invariablement un rôle important dans l’exécution decette responsabilité judiciaire fondamentale.
En l’espèce, le juge du procès a cerné les bons principes juridiques, passé en revue leséléments de preuve clés de la poursuite et de la défense, tiré des conclusions de fait irrécusables (y compris en matière de crédibilité) etabouti à la conclusion pleine de bon sens que la culpabilité de l’appelant à l’égard de l’infraction reprochée était la seule inférenceraisonnable à tirer de la preuve et des faits tels qu’il les a jugés.
Ces conclusions de fait sont cruciales, eu égard au témoignage del’appelant et des thèses consignées au dossier du procès. [par. 45] [36] Je ne vois aucune erreur dans le fait que le juge a commenté l’attitude qu’avait L.A.S. pendant son témoignage.De plus, il y avait de la preuve indiquant que L.A.S. avait dit non avant d’entamer la fellation, et qu’elle avait dit non au cours desrapports sexuels anaux. Le ministère public nous a renvoyé aux motifs donnés dans l’arrêt R. c. W. (R.), (SCC), [1992] 2 R.C.S. 122, [1992] A.C.S. no 56 (QL), par. 24, où la juge McLachlin a cité l’arrêt R. c. B. (G.), (SCC), [1990] 2
R.C.S. 30 , [1990] A.C.S. n o 58 (QL) : « [é]videmment, il faut apprécier soigneusement la crédibilité de chaque témoin qui dépose devant la Cour mais la norme de “l’adulte raisonnable” ne convient pas nécessairement à l’appréciation de la crédibilité de jeunes enfants » (p. 55). Je ne suis pas persuadée que c’est ce que le juge a voulu dire en l’espèce.
Ce qu’il a observé était la manière dont L.A.S., une femme de 38 à 39 ans, qui lui paraissait assimilable à une enfant, a été en mesure de raconter son histoire. [37] Je ne décèle aucune erreur susceptible de révision dans la décision du juge d’évaluer le témoignage de L.A.S. à travers le [TRADUCTION] « prisme » d’une témoin assimilable à une enfant. Il l’a observée, il l’a entendue, il était au courant de ses problèmes de santé et il a eu recours à son bon sens lorsqu’il a décidé que sa crédibilité serait appréciée en fonction de critères convenant à sa santé et à sa capacité de communiquer.
Je suis d’avis de rejeter le présent moyen d’appel. C. Le juge du procès a-t-il commis une erreur en appliquant un degré d’examen plus strict au témoignage de l’appelant? [38] Évaluer les témoignages de la plaignante et de l’accusé en y appliquant une norme différente constitue une erreur de droit visée par le sous-al. 686(1)a)(iii) du Code criminel . M.
Figg soutient que son témoignage sur la question du consentement, ou sur la question de sa croyance sincère mais erronée au consentement communiqué, a été rejeté en raison du fait que le juge a traité le témoignage de L.A.S. comme s’il provenait d’une témoin assimilable à une enfant. [39] Le juge ne doutait aucunement du fait que L.A.S. n’avait pas consenti aux actes sexuels et que M. Figg avait la mens rea nécessaire. J’en dirai davantage au sujet de cette conclusion plus loin. M.
Figg soutient que d’importantes incohérences dans le témoignage de L.A.S. ont été écartées sans explication satisfaisante au-delà de la conclusion selon laquelle elle était une témoin assimilable à une enfant. Par conséquent, le juge aurait appliqué un degré d’examen plus strict à son témoignage à lui. Il affirme que les incohérences touchent à l’essentiel de sa défense, laquelle dépend de la question de savoir si le ministère public a établi la mens rea , c’est-à-dire, si M. Figg avait une croyance sincère mais erronée au consentement communiqué ( G.F. , par. 25 ). [40] Dans l’arrêt R. c.
Roth , 2020 BCCA 240 , [2020] B.C.J. No. 1333 (QL) , l’accusé a soutenu que la juge du procès avait examiné la preuve de la défense de manière plus rigoureuse que celle du ministère public. La principale question en litige au procès était celle du consentement. La juge a conclu que le témoignage de l’accusé était [TRADUCTION] « insincère et intéressé », et qu’il avait été adapté afin de minimiser son degré d’ébriété (par. 37). Même s’il existait des incohérences entre le témoignage de la plaignante et ses déclarations antérieures, la juge a conclu qu’elles étaient minimes et que la plaignante était sincère.
La juge d’appel Dewitt-Van Oosten a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Le fait pour un juge de première instance de soumettre la preuve de la défense à un examen plus rigoureux que celle du ministère public constitue une erreur de droit. Voir, par exemple : R. c. Singh et al. , 2020 MBCA 61 , par. 31 à 33 ; R. c. Mehari , 2020 SKCA 37 , par. 29 ; R. c. Murray , 2020 BCCA 42 , par. 82 ; R. c. E.H. , 2020 ONCA 405 , par. 40 et 41 ; R. c. Willis , 2019 NSCA 64 , par. 40 à 45 ; R. c. Wanihadie , 2019 ABCA 402 , par. 34 à 43 ; R. c. Kiss , 2018 ONCA 184 , par. 82 et 83 ; R. c.
Gravesande , 2015 ONCA 774 , par. 18 , 19 et 43. [par. 47] [41] Elle a ensuite observé que [TRADUCTION] « les allégations d’évaluations déséquilibrées de la crédibilité qui ont été retenues ont souvent impliqué […] une mauvaise interprétation d’éléments de preuve importants, un raisonnement conjectural, une accentuation excessive de l’attitude ou un défaut d’examiner le témoignage dans le contexte de la preuve dans son ensemble » (par. 51).
Une allégation selon laquelle un degré d’examen plus strict a été employé finira par échouer si l’argument est fondé sur l’interprétation donnée à la preuve par le juge, ou sur le fait que le juge n’a pas trouvé l’accusé crédible. [42] En l’espèce, l’affirmation de M. Figg se rapporte directement à l’évaluation de la crédibilité faite par le juge. Il soutient que les conclusions du juge en matière de crédibilité sont viciées en raison de ses conclusions ayant trait à la [TRADUCTION] « capacité intellectuelle » de L.A.S. Je ne souscris pas à cette description.
Comme je l’ai indiqué, le juge n’a jamais conclu que L.A.S. souffrait d’une déficience intellectuelle. Il a examiné son témoignage à travers le [TRADUCTION] « prisme » d’une témoin assimilable à une enfant parce qu’elle s’était présentée ainsi. Le juge a fait des observations au sujet de L.A.S. et, d’après la preuve dans son ensemble, il n’avait aucun doute qu’elle n’avait pas communiqué son consentement aux actes sexuels. Il ressort des motifs que le juge « a saisi l’essentiel des questions en litige au procès » ( R.E.M. , par. 64 ). [43] Dans l’arrêt Bright c.
R. , 2020 NBCA 79 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 314 (QL) , le juge LeBlond, s’exprimant au nom de la Cour, a discuté de l’évaluation de la preuve selon des degrés d’examen différents :
Pour que cet argument soit retenu, il ne suffit pas de montrer que la crédibilité aurait pu être évaluée différemment. Les exigencesauxquelles M. Bright doit satisfaire sont très élevées. Il doit [TRADUCTION] « faire valoir quelque chose dans les motifs du juge duprocès, ou peut-être ailleurs au dossier, qui indique clairement que le juge a appliqué des degrés d’examen différents lorsqu’il a évaluéles témoignages de l’appelant et du plaignant » (R. c. J.H., (ON CA), [2005] O.J. No. 39 (QL) (C.A.), le juge d’appelDoherty, par. 59; R. c. Wanihadie, 2019 ABCA 402, [2019] A.J.
No. 1406 (QL), par. 36). [par. 58] [44] Lors de son interrogatoire principal, M. Figg a répondu [TRADUCTION] « non » aux questions suivantes :
a) Avez-vous tiré L.A.S. vers le divan et lui avez-vous demandé qu’elle vous chevauche?
b) Vous a-t-elle dit non à un moment donné?
c) Vous a-t-elle dit d’arrêter à un moment donné?
d) A-t-elle tenté de vous repousser et de se défendre?
e) A-t-elle crié au secours?
f) A-t-elle employé des mots ou des actes vous portant à penser qu’elle ne voulait pas participer à une forme quelconque des trois[types] de rapports sexuels (oraux, vaginaux ou anaux)? [45] En contre-interrogatoire, M. Figg a reconnu qu’il espérait que [TRADUCTION] « les choses aillent quelquepart » et que, lorsque L.A.S. a cogné à sa porte, il a pensé qu’[TRADUCTION] « il y avait probablement toujours une possibilité ». Il atémoigné qu’il n’y avait eu aucune conversation entre eux au sujet de rapports sexuels vaginaux ou anaux. [46] Le juge était convaincu que le ministère public avait prouvé que M. Figg n’avait pris