2021 NBCA 58, 2021 NBCA 58
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 59-21-CA EXXONMOBIL BUSINESS SUPPORT CENTRE CANADA ULC, an entity incorporated under and pursuant to the laws of the Province of Nova Scotia, doing business as ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Canada APPELLANT EXXONMOBIL BUSINESS SUPPORT CENTRE CANADA ULC, entité constituée sous le régime des lois de la Province de la Nouvelle-Écosse, faisant affaire sous le nom d’ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Canada APPELANTE - and - - et - JAMES DARREL BIRMINGHAM RESPONDENT JAMES DARREL BIRMINGHAM INTIMÉ ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Canada ULC, an entity incorporated under and pursuant to the laws of the Province of Nova Scotia, doing business as ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Canada v.
Birmingham, 2021 NBCA 58 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Canada ULC, entité constituée sous le régime des lois de la Province de la Nouvelle-Écosse, faisant affaire sous le nom d’ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Canada c.
Birmingham, 2021 NBCA 58 CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 29, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : l e 29 avril 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 80 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 80 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: September 29, 2021 Appel entendu : le 29 septembre 2021
Judgm ent rendered: December 16, 2021 Jugement rendu : le 16 décembre 2021 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the Appellant: Clarence Lee Bennett and Lara J. Greenough For the Respondent: G. Scott Ellsworth, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge French Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Clarence Lee Bennett et Lara J. Greenough Pour l’intimé : G. Scott Ellsworth , c.r.
THE COURT The appeal is allowed in part. The damages allowed at trial are reduced to $5,000, and the award of costs is set aside. The respondent shall pay costs throughout, which are set at $5,000. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli en partie. La Cour réduit à 5 000 $ les dommages-intérêts accordés à l’issue du procès et annule l’adjudication des dépens. Elle condamne l’intimé aux dépens dans toutes les cours et les fixe à 5 000 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] The primary issue on appeal is whether the equitable doctrine of unjust enrichment can be a remedial source in a case of ordinary wrongful dismissal. For the reasons that follow, I conclude it cannot. II. Factual Overview [ 2 ] The respondent, James Darrel Birmingham, was employed with the appellant, ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Canada ULC, from April 29, 2002, until his termination, on December 31, 2016 . At the time of termination, he held the position of Tenant Services Supervisor within Exxon’s facilities management division in Moncton and was earning $57,200 per annum.
He was 41 years of age.
[ 3 ] On August 10, 2016, Exxon announced it was transferring the facilities management division to CB Richard Ellis (“CBRE”). This was part of a global restructuring of its operations. Mr. Birmingham was advised his employment with Exxon would terminate and he would be offered continuing employment with CBRE at the same salary he had been earning together with other benefits and incentives. He was told continued employment with Exxon was not an option, notwithstanding Exxon was creating new positions for which he was qualified at his place of employment as part of the restructuring.
He accepted the new position with CBRE on September 12, 2016, and he began working there on January 1, 2017. [ 4 ] To the extent his termination was without cause, Mr. Birmingham was entitled to a period of notice, which the trial judge, in the decision under appeal, set at 11 months from January 1, 2017, in addition to the period of working notice. No appeal is taken from that determination. [ 5 ] As part of its own incentive program, CBRE paid Mr. Birmingham an additional amount of $6,292 over three equal instalments during the first 18 months of his employment.
Moreover, he became entitled to vacation benefits, a registered retirement savings plan, health and dental care as well as life and disability insurance. [ 6 ] Another potential benefit he had with Exxon was a payment of $5,000 per annum per child as part of a post- secondary educational bursary program payable to an employee whose children reached that stage of their education and otherwise qualified for the bursary. Up to the time of termination, only one of Mr. Birmingham’s three children had qualified for and received this benefit for one year. [ 7 ] In addition to the period of notice, Exxon offered Mr.
Birmingham a severance package to address the possibility of differential losses for some of his previous employment benefits, which included the loss of a defined benefit pension plan and a more generous health and dental care plan. The offer consisted of continuing the superior health and dental benefits coverage under the Exxon plan for two months following termination plus a payment of $7,200, based on Exxon’s calculation to cover the potential differential losses during the notice period. This included the loss of contributions to a defined contribution pension plan. The offer was conditional on Mr.
Birmingham providing Exxon with a release of any further claims. He declined the offer and sued. [ 8 ] Mr. Birmingham’s Notice of Action with Statement of Claim Attached was filed under Rule 79 of the Rules of Court . It claimed general damages for wrongful dismissal, including the value of lost benefits during the notice period, aggravated damages for bad faith and any further unspecified relief “deemed just by the court.” [ 9 ] The trial of the action took one day.
The judge accepted that the 11-month notice period advanced by Exxon was appropriate in the circumstances, and he awarded as damages the $7,200 Exxon estimated to be the potential differential losses during the notice period. The judge found that Mr. Birmingham failed to establish entitlement, beyond $7,200, to any amounts attributable to the notice period, except potentially an additional $5,000 for his oldest child’s second year at university, with respect to which finding the evidence was lacking. He also held there was no basis for claims of moral, aggravated or punitive damages. However, he allowed Mr.
Birmingham’s claim for restitutionary damages for unjust enrichment notwithstanding a claim for that relief had not been pleaded and was first advanced in his closing submissions. The judge awarded damages of $50,000 to compensate him for the “unfairness in the termination process or unjust enrichment.” III. Additional Context [ 10 ] While the trial judge went through a proper analysis in determining the action as pleaded, his decision to entertain and allow the claim for damages based on unjust enrichment is another matter.
In this part of the decision, he addressed what he labelled “additional considerations.” These included speculation as to the value Exxon would derive from outsourcing the division in which Mr. Birmingham worked as part of the global restructuring. He accepted Mr.
Birmingham’s claim that substantial benefits accrued to Exxon from outsourcing the division in which he worked, while leaving him in the “very unfair” position of doing the same job for the same salary but for reduced benefits and without the ability to apply for any of the new positions Exxon was creating as part of the restructuring, which his experience “should logically have prepared him to take on.” The judge found the inability to apply for one of the new jobs had nothing to do with his job performance but everything to do “with Exxon’s desire to derive maximum benefit from the CBRE transaction.” [ 11 ] The judge then went on to ask himself whether any of this mattered given Mr.
Birmingham’s claim flowed from the termination of his contract of employment. Had he answered his question in the negative, as he should have, this appeal would
not have been launched. His unjust enrichment analysis focuses on what he found “unfair or unjust” with Exxon’s strategy to “compel” (motivate) Mr. Birmingham to accept the offer of employment from CBRE at a time when it was in the process of adding employees to its Moncton office, including 44 new hires into a department where Mr. Birmingham was previously employed (para. 29). He then went on to find, “Exxon’s refusal to afford Mr.
Birmingham the opportunity to even compete for one of these positions, although making perfect business sense from the perspective of maximizing the benefits of the CBRE transaction, can only be regarded as unfair in the context of Mr. Birmingham’s individualized circumstances […]” (para. 29). [ 12 ] He awarded $50,000 “to compensate Mr. Birmingham for unfairness in the termination process and/or unjust enrichment that flowed to Exxon as a consequence of the [restructuring]” (para. 43).
He says he arrived at this number by “somewhat arbitrarily [ combining] discounted portions of the bursary entitlement ([he] consider[ed] it highly probable some of Mr. Birmingham’s children would have pursued (continue to pursue) post-secondary education and qualified for the program) […]” (para. 43). His analysis also took into consideration a pension entitlement. In that respect, he was also of the view it was “highly probable Mr.
Birmingham would be an Exxon employee now if he had been permitted to compete for one of the new positions […]” (para. 43). [ 13 ] As noted, the decision to award damages for unjust enrichment led to this appeal by Exxon, which argues it reflects a significant departure from long-standing and well settled employment law principles. IV. Grounds of Appeal [ 14 ] Exxon raises four grounds. It asserts the trial judge erred: 1. In considering a claim for unjust enrichment, which was not pleaded and not before him; 2.
By finding the right to terminate without cause on notice is modified by the employer’s business circumstances; 3. By finding that it had been unjustly enriched and/or Mr. Birmingham had been treated unfairly in the termination process; and 4. In his assessment of damages. V. Standard of Review [ 15 ] This appeal raises questions of law relating, on the one hand, to claims that were pleaded and properly before the judge and, on the other hand, to the legal remedies that arise from wrongful dismissal, unjust enrichment or bad faith in the termination process.
These are questions of law or of mixed fact and law requiring the application of a legal principle. They are reviewable on the correctness standard: 1) the pleadings issue relates to adherence to the rules of pleading: Estate of Michael Burke and 1021256 Ontario Inc. v. Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada , 2011 NBCA 98 , 381 N.B.R. (2d) 81 , at par. 48 ; and 2) the identification of a cause of action requires that the remedy relating to it not be conflated with a remedy available to a different cause of action: Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , at paras. 8 , 31 and 35. VI.
Analysis [ 16 ] Mr. Birmingham’s claim is rooted in breach of contract, and he is not entitled to damages for the loss of his employment simply because it is “unfair.” The Supreme Court dealt with this issue in Honda Canada Inc. v. Keays , 2008 SCC 39 , [2008 ] 2 S.C.R. 362 : An action for wrongful dismissal is based on an implied obligation in the employment contract to give reasonable notice of an intention to terminate the relationship in the absence of just cause.
Thus, if an employer fails to provide reasonable notice of termination, the employee can bring an action for breach of the implied term ( Wallace , at para. 115). The general rule, which stems from the British case of Addis v. Gramaphone Co. , [1909] A.G. 488 (H.L.), is that damages allocated in such actions are confined to the loss suffered as a
result of the employer's failure to give proper notice and that no damages are available to the employee for the actual loss of his or her job and/or pain and distress that may have been suffered as a consequence of being terminated . [...] [Emphasis added; para. 50] [ 17 ] Absent bad faith or other extenuating circumstances, all that an employee is entitled to receive when terminated is reasonable notice of dismissal. This principle is paramount and was confirmed by the Supreme Court in Evans v.
Teamsters Local Union No. 31 , 2008 SCC 20 , [2008] 1 S.C.R. 661 : […] The notice period is meant to provide employees with sufficient opportunity to seek new employment and arrange their personal affairs, and employers who provide sufficient working notice are not required to pay an employee just because they have chosen to terminate the contract. […] […] it is an accepted principle of employment law that employers are entitled (indeed encouraged) to give employees working notice and that, absent bad faith or other extenuating circumstances, they are not required to financially compensate an employee simply because they have terminated the employment contract. […] [paras. 28-29] [ 18 ] Exxon argues that the trial judge’s decision stands in stark contrast to the law and that it effectively held an employee is entitled to damages if his dismissal is “unfair,” if the employer benefits from the termination, or if the employer could have employed the individual elsewhere in the organization.
The implications of such findings are far-reaching. Employers almost always derive a benefit from terminating an employee. Moreover, there is no obligation at law to explore alternate employment for an employee prior to dismissal. As stated earlier, at common law, employers have the right to terminate an employment contract of indefinite duration without cause and without reasons. [ 19 ] In Dunsmuir v.
Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick , as represented by the Board of Management , 2006 NBCA 27 , 297 N.B.R. (2d) 151 , (appeal dismissed by the Supreme Court at 2008 SCC 9 , [2008] 1 S.C.R. 190 ) this Court held that, absent human rights considerations, an employer can dismiss any employee on notice without providing reasons.
Moreover, the Court held: [I]t makes no sense that an employer who possesses the legal right to terminate an employee with notice can be forced into an adjudicative hearing in which the employer is cross-examined as to the true reasons for the issuance of a notice terminating the employment. I agree that if an employer has a right to discharge an employee with notice, the reasons why the notice issued in the first place must be deemed irrelevant […]. [paras. 27-28] [ 20 ] There is no basis in law or fact for Mr. Birmingham’s contention he had a reasonable expectation to compete for another job with Exxon. A.
Pleadings [ 21 ] Pleadings govern the issues in a claim, and trial by ambush has no place in our modern system of justice. Rule 27.06(10) explicitly requires parties to specify the nature of the relief claimed in their pleading: 27.06(10) Where a pleading contains a claim for relief, the nature of the relief claimed shall be specified. […] 27.06(10) Lorsque dans une plaidoirie des mesures de redressement sont demandées, la nature de ces mesures doit être spécifiée. […] [ 22 ] I pause here to highlight the particular importance of pleadings in a Rule 79 action such as this one. The rules
of pleadings, including Rule 27.06, apply to any action commenced and pursued under Rule 79. As Drapeau C.J.N.B. (as he then was),writing for the Court, stated in Acadie-Presse Ltée v. Blanchard, 2013 NBCA 58, 409 N.B.R. (2d) 152: […] because, the action proceeds without the clarifications that examinations for discovery make possible in an ordinary action, it is ofparticular importance that the pleadings in a simplified proceeding comply with those rules.
They were crafted with a view to identifyingthe matters in issue and circumscribing the debate, a result undeniably helpful in ensuring the just determination contemplated by Rule1.03(2). [para. 34] [23] In Estate of Michael Burke and 1021256 Ontario Inc., the Court held that disposing of a case through anequitable remedy not pleaded constitutes an error in law: In my respectful view, the trial judge erred in law in resting his decision on facts that were neither pleaded nor proven, and in disposingof the case through an unrequested equitable remedy, the lifting of the corporate veil of 1021256 Ontario Inc. [para. 48] [24] In Local 772 of the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and PipefittingIndustry of the United States and Canada v.
The United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and PipefittingIndustry of the United States and Canada and the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and PipefittingIndustry of the United States and Canada, Local 325 and Hughes and Wood, 2013 NBCA 33, 404 N.B.R. (2d) 332, this Courtemphasized the key role pleadings play in preventing a “free-ranging general inquiry” in a civil trial: […] More generally, and as in all cases, the issues requiring adjudication are defined by the pleadings.
Courts must not “permit a civiltrial to lapse into a sort of free-ranging general inquiry” (see Lax Kw’alaams Indian Band v. Canada (Attorney General), 2011 SCC 56,[2011] 3 S.C.R. 535, at para. 11). Civil litigation does not bring into play the “commission of inquiry” model in which one or morecommissioners embark on a “voyage of discovery armed only with very general terms of reference” (see Lax, at para. 40). In ADILimited v. 052987 N.B.
Inc., 2000 NBCA 55, 232 N.B.R. (2d) 47, Turnbull, J.A., writing for the majority, described the overarchingpurpose of the rules of pleading applicable to a plaintiff as being “to ensure a defendant can prepare for the case that must be met” (para.3), defining the issues, pleadings give the opposing parties and the court fair notice of the case they must deal with. To borrow BinnieJ.’s colourful language in Lax “[t]he trial of an action should not resemble a voyage on the Flying Dutchman with a crew condemned toroam the seas interminably with no set destination and no end in sight”. [para. 42] [25] Mr.
Birmingham pleaded only “relief for breach of the Employment Contract,” specifically, general damagesfor wrongful dismissal, aggravated damages for bad faith, interest and costs. He did not advance a claim based on unjust enrichment untilclosing arguments, when he argued it was caught by his request for “such further or other relief as this Honourable Court deems just.” [26] The trial judge requested post-hearing briefs respecting unjust enrichment. In its brief, Exxon argued the claimwas not properly pleaded, and the principle had no application in the circumstances.
The judge acknowledged all this but provided thefollowing justification for considering the claim anyway: […] Mr. Birmingham did not specifically claim for unjust enrichment under his Statement of Claim. However, he did claim for “suchfurther or other relief as this Honourable Court deems just”, which has been recognized as affording judicial discretion to fashion an appropriate remedy, including an equitable remedy – see Desjardins et al. v. Côté et al. (2003) 207 N.B.R. (2nd) 115 (QB) (paragraphs 215-218), (2006) 2006 NBCA 81 , 304 N.B.R. (2nd) 40 (NBCA).
Further, as in the Côté decision, Exxon was not taken bysurprise. The factual narrative upon which Mr. Birmingham bases his unjust enrichment arguments is the same narrative upon which heargues for a finding of unfairness in the termination process. Moreover, it was clear to Exxon throughout this proceeding that Mr.Birmingham, regardless of which legal label we employ to categorize his claim, is seeking damages for the losses he sustained as aconsequence of his inability to continue his employment with Exxon.
Consequently, I will continue on to discuss whether the necessaryelements are present, in the circumstances of this case, to support a finding of unjust enrichment. [para. 34] [27] Reliance on the decision in Desjardins et al. v. Côté et al., 2003 NBQB 214, 267 N.B.R. (2d) 115, in support ofthe judge’s proposition was unjustified. It fails to recognize that reliance on the omnibus claim was a ground for the defendant’s appealin that case: Côté v. Desjardins, Côté, and The Town of Grand Falls et al., 2006 NBCA 81, 304 N.B.R. (2d) 40.
Moreover, this Court, inaddressing this particular ground, noted: In my opinion, this ground of appeal is unfounded because the trial judge appropriately held that the remedies with respect to the
reimbursement of the amounts received by Mr. Côté were all linked to the 1992 agreement. In short, the request for reimbursement of theadditional amounts was included in the relief the respondents were seeking in their amended Statement of Claim, since they were askingfor the reimbursement of [TRANSLATION] “all of the amounts that the Association had transferred to Fernand Côté” and these issueswere debated throughout the trial. [para. 61] [28] As outlined above, the judge also found Exxon was not taken by surprise because (
a) the factual matrix and (b)the damages sought are the same for a claim in unjust enrichment and “unfairness in the termination process.” Quite apart from the factthese two premises are incorrect, as will be seen, the claims were not submitted to the adversarial process, even under the Rule 79limitations. It was therefore not permissible for the judge to entertain them. [29] MacFarland J. in TSP-INTL Ltd. v. Mills, (ON CA), [2006] O.J.
No. 2702 (QL) (C.A.),stated the following: While the alternative theories on which the trial judge found liability here did not appear for the first time in her reasons for judgment,those theories were only raised by her after the evidence was completed and the first round of final written submissions received. As a result, these theories were never, as Doherty J.A. put it in Rodaro [at para. 62], “[subjected] to the rigours of the adversarialprocess”. They were never pleaded and battle was never joined in respect of them in the trial process.
In my view, in the particularcircumstances of this case, it is no answer at this stage of the process that the defendants were afforded the opportunity to make furtherwritten argument addressing the new liability theories raised by the trial judge. The difficulty here is that the parties did not frame theirlawsuit or conduct the trial on these bases.
In the context of this case, the defendants were effectively deprived of knowing the case theyhad to meet, and of any opportunity to meet that case throughout the trial. [paras. 34-35] [30] In addition to the inappropriateness of considering an unpleaded claim for unjust enrichment, the judgemisconstrued its scope in the circumstances.
A claim of unjust enrichment involves an analysis of whether an enrichment (a benefit) hastransferred from the plaintiff to the defendant (no such enrichment was pleaded), and whether a corresponding deprivation was suffered(no such deprivation was pleaded). [31] Based on the pleadings, Exxon could not reasonably have been expected to anticipate facing a claim of unjustenrichment, or being required to produce evidence to rebut such a claim, quite apart from the fact such a claim is irrelevant in the contextof the law of wrongful dismissal. B. Unjust enrichment and unfairness in dismissal
(1) Unjust enrichment [32] The trial judge correctly set out the test for unjust enrichment. It was succinctly stated in the Supreme Court’sdecision in Moore v. Sweet, 2018 SCC 52, [2018] 3 S.C.R. 303: [...] Under this principled framework, a plaintiff will succeed on the cause of action in unjust enrichment if he or she can show: (
a) thatthe defendant was enriched; (
b) that the plaintiff suffered a corresponding deprivation; and (
c) that the defendant’s enrichment and theplaintiff's corresponding deprivation occurred in the absence of a juristic reason (Becker v. Pettkus, (CSC), [1980] 2S.C.R. 834 (S.C.C.), at p. 848; Garland, at para. 30; Kerr, at paras. 30-45). […] [para. 37] [33] The first stage of this analysis considers two questions – was the defendant enriched, and did the plaintiffsuffer a corresponding deprivation? The Supreme Court in Moore confirmed that, to establish an enrichment, a plaintiff must first showsomething of value passed from the plaintiff to the defendant, which it expressed as follows:
[...] To establish that the defendant was enriched and the plaintiff correspondingly deprived, it must be shown that something of value – a “tangible benefit” – passed from the latter to the former ( Kerr , at para. 38; Garland , at para. 31; Peel , at p. 790; Pacific National Investments Ltd. v. Victoria (City) , 2004 SCC 75 , [2004] 3 S.C.R. 575 , at para. 15 ). This Court has described the enrichment and detriment elements as being “the same thing from different perspectives” ( Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada v.
Canada (Attorney General) , 2012 SCC 71 , [2012] 3 S.C.R. 660 (“ PIPSC ”), at para. 151 ) and thus as being “essentially two sides of the same coin” ( Peter , at p. 1012). […] [para. 41] [ 34 ] The deprivation of the plaintiff is then described in these terms: In addition to an enrichment of the defendant, a plaintiff asserting an unjust enrichment claim must also establish that he or she suffered a corresponding deprivation. According to Professor Mcinnes, this element serves the purpose of identifying the plaintiff as the person with standing to seek restitution against an unjustly enriched defendant (M.
Mcinnes, The Canadian Law of Unjust Enrichment and Restitution (2014), at p. 149; see also Peel (Regional Municipality) , at pp. 789-90, and Kleinwort Benson v. Birmingham Council (1996), [1997] Q.B. 380 (Eng. C.A.), at pp. 393 and 400).
Even if a defendant’s retention of a benefit can be said to be unjust, a plaintiff has no right to recover against that defendant if he or she suffered no loss at all, or suffered a loss wholly unrelated to the defendant’s gain. […] [para. 43] [ 35 ] The judge’s enrichment/deprivation analysis is contained in the following passage: To begin, was Exxon enriched through its termination of Mr. Birmingham’s employment, and did he suffer a loss thereof? [...] Exxon, by its own acknowledgment, was enriched and its competitive position strengthened by the CBRE transaction (paragraphs 24- 25).
It is equally clear that Mr.
Birmingham suffered a direct and corresponding loss (deprivation) of access to benefits, security and opportunity in consequence thereof (paragraph 28). […] [paras. 35-36] [ 36 ] As part of the analysis, the judge referred to an internal Communications Plan respecting the outsourcing: […] For Exxon, Project Mercury represented an “opportunity to improve our service delivery through an integrated approach” which “could provide us the opportunity to stay ahead of business needs” driven by the reality that “The current business and economic climate that our industry is facing only heightens our sense of urgency to find ways to make the business more competitive” (Project Mercury Communications Plan, Tab 5, Page 70, Joint Book of Exhibits). [para. 24] [ 37 ] He surmised Exxon must have expected cost savings and synergies from the transaction because it was probably expensive: In corporate speak, Project Mercury represented an opportunity for Exxon to generate value by outsourcing a service-delivery division (the GREF Division) to lower-cost service providers (CBRE in the Americas).
The anticipated cost saving/synergies must have been truly significant: the Project Mercury Communications Plan (pages 43-46 of the Joint Book of Exhibits) reflects the large size of the project team and the Project Mercury proposal process (page 35 of the Joint Book of Exhibits) represented an expansive legal and logistical effort that, in the normal course, would be expected to carry a mid-seven figure price tag on a global basis. All of this, plus the severance payments to be made to individuals like Mr. Birmingham and Ms.
Norton. [para. 25] [ 38 ] In addition, the trial judge made an inference as to the negotiations between CBRE and Exxon (of which there was absolutely no evidence) “based on past experience:” [...] In this case, Exxon – at least within the Americas – sought to not only have the work of the GREF Division performed on a lower- cost basis, but to also achieve the synergies associated with having that work performed by the same individuals so as to ensure no operational disruptions.
Based on past experience, I infer that this transactional attribute also resulted in improved economics for the CBRE transaction and/or CBRE’s acceptance of enhanced performance obligations (KPls), as it was acquiring a largely-intact and experienced work force. [para. 26]
[ 39 ] Finally, at para. 28, the judge outlined the impacts on Mr. Birmingham: loss of access to benefits, job security and employment opportunities that he enjoyed while employed with Exxon. His reasoning, without direct evidence on point, therefore, appears to be:
a) enrichment of Exxon: (
i) by entering into a transaction with a third party (CBRE), Exxon received operational benefits; and (ii) the terms of the transaction were more favourable and/or CBRE accepted the terms of the transaction because Mr. Birmingham’s division (GREF) would (possibly) continue with CBRE; and
b) corresponding deprivation: as a result of the transaction, Mr. Birmingham was precluded from applying for other positions with Exxon and, as a result, he lost the benefits and the job security or opportunities he had while employed by Exxon. [ 40 ] First, no contract between Exxon and CBRE was before the judge because it was (and is) irrelevant to the claim for wrongful dismissal. Any terms of such a contract and the negotiation of those terms are also irrelevant. The mischief that could be created by making such evidence relevant in a claim for wrongful dismissal is immeasurable.
The claim is governed by the terms of Mr. Birmingham’s contract with Exxon – his employment contract. [ 41 ] Second, none of these alleged “benefits” to Exxon were benefits transferred from Mr. Birmingham. He was not a party to any contract between Exxon and CBRE. [ 42 ] If Mr.
Birmingham’s experience and work service were considered as a “benefit,” CBRE is the party that gained that benefit when he became its employee (under a contract of employment). [ 43 ] Third, there were no underlying factors or evidence before the Court to support the judge’s inference “based on past experience” that CBRE offering employment to Exxon’s former employees improved the terms of Exxon’s contract with CBRE.
While a judge can draw on his or her experience to bring their own perspective to the role of judging, using their “past experience” to ground an analysis amounts to speculation, is inappropriate and constitutes an error of law. The judge had no way of knowing whether Exxon was realizing a gain or loss in this venture. That determination was irrelevant in any event. In R. v. Martin , 2010 NBCA 41 , 361 N.B.R. (2d) 251 , the Court held: It is not difficult to understand why a finding grounded in conjecture or speculation will amount to an error of law.
A significant governing trial principle is that there must be an evidentiary foundation for findings and inferences of fact. If a judge allows conjecture and speculation to become the basis for such findings and inferences, he applies the wrong test and thus commits an error of law. […] [para. 36] [ 44 ] The evidence before the judge was that CBRE offered jobs to four employees in Moncton, including Mr. Birmingham. There was no guarantee that any of them would accept the offer. Whether Mr.
Birmingham took the job or not, the sole issue for determination, based on his contract of employment, was the adequacy of the notice period he was given and the implications on his duty to mitigate. [ 45 ] The judge also erroneously concluded there was a corresponding deprivation to Mr. Birmingham. The alleged losses were incurred because the contract of employment was ended. That is a separate transaction from any contract between CBRE and Exxon or between CBRE and Mr.
Birmingham. [ 46 ] Given the absence of the first two elements of unjust enrichment, I will only briefly deal with the third element relating to the juristic reason. The courts have developed a list of well-established juristic reasons to negate unjust enrichment if the first two elements of the test are met. First on this list is a governing contract. The Supreme Court held in Garland v.
Consumers’ Gas Co. , 2004 SCC 25 , [2004] 1 S.C.R. 629 : [...] The established categories that can constitute juristic reasons include a contract ( Pettkus , supra ), a disposition of law ( Pettkus , supra ), a donative intent ( Peter , supra ), and other valid common law, equitable or statutory obligations ( Peter , supra ). […] [para. 44]
[47] Where there is a juristic reason for an enrichment and corresponding deprivation, there is no unjustenrichment. [48] Mr. Birmingham’s work was always governed by a contract of employment. While he was employed byExxon, he was paid for his services. At CBRE, he was similarly paid for his services. While the trial judge identified the need toconsider any “juristic reason” as a part of the test for unjust enrichment, he failed to consider the employment contract between theparties – a clear juristic reason that would prevent a claim for unjust enrichment if such a claim could be proven in the first place.
(2) Unfairness in the termination process [49] The trial judge appears to have awarded damages for “unfairness in the termination process,” as well as forunjust enrichment. However, he explicitly found there were no grounds for an award of aggravated or punitive damages against Exxon.Mr. Birmingham’s Notice of Contention asserts the $50,000 award can be justified as an award of aggravated damages. First, that claimwas explicitly dismissed by the judge.
Second, as earlier noted, there is no basis in this case for such an award. [50] Even if the trial judge believed “unfairness,” on its own, sufficed to permit recovery of damages, the SupremeCourt in Peel (Regional Municipality) v. Canada; Peel (Regional Municipality) v. Ontario, (CSC), [1992] 3 S.C.R. 762,[1992] S.C.J.
No. 101 (QL), clarified that recovery on that basis alone is not allowable: […] First, where the legal tests for recovery are clearly not met, can recovery be awarded on the basis of justice or fairness alone?Second, if courts can grant judgment on the basis of justice alone, does justice so require in this case? On my review of the authorities, the first question must be answered in the negative.
The courts’ concern to strike an appropriate balancebetween predictability in the law and justice in the individual case has led them in this area, as in others, to choose a middle coursebetween the extremes of inflexible rules and case-by-case “palm tree” justice. [...] Thus recovery cannot be predicated on the bareassertion that fairness so requires. A general congruence with accepted principle must be demonstrated as well. [paras. 67-68 cited to QL] [51] Despite all this, and the Supreme Court’s decisions in Keays and Evans, the judge concluded Mr.
Birminghamhad been treated unfairly in the termination process. He appears to have done so on the basis that it was “unfair” to terminate Mr.Birmingham when Exxon was hiring new employees and that it was “unfair” not to provide him with the opportunity to continue hisemployment elsewhere in the company. [52] Recall Mr. Birmingham’s claim was for aggravated damages for bad faith. Aggravated damages may beawarded where an employer is untruthful or misleading, or humiliates an employee, etc. when effecting an employee’s dismissal.
It issettled law that the distress associated with dismissal itself is not compensable. In Keays, the Supreme Court stated: Damages resulting from the manner of dismissal must then be available only if they result from the circumstances described in Wallace,namely where the employer engages in conduct during the course of dismissal that is “unfair or is in bad faith by being, for example,untruthful, misleading or unduly insensitive” (para 98). [para. 57] [53] The trial judge concluded that there was no such conduct by Exxon. There was, therefore, no basis to awarddamages for “unfairness.” C.
Wrongful dismissal [54] What was before the trial judge was a claim for damages resulting from wrongful dismissal, which required:
(1) Mr. Birmingham prove his damages through evidence of his actual losses during the notice period; and (2) the trial judge assess that
evidence to determine whether he had suffered a loss. While Exxon’s position was that there was no loss during the notice period, its alternate position was that, if there were any loss, the amount should be $7,200 for the 11-month period it argued was adequate. There was evidence from Mr. Birmingham’s advisor of a loss relating to the defined benefits pension during the notice period. The Exxon witness testified the program used by Exxon to determine the $7,200 amount included his pension loss.
Read in light of the positions and arguments at the hearing, when the award is read in the context of para. 23 of the decision, it would appear the $7,200 represents the special damages related to the 11-month notice period accepted by the trial judge. On this basis, I would not set aside the award of the $7,200, as that award was not specifically challenged on appeal. [ 55 ] However, the judge was wrong to dismiss Exxon’s argument that the portion of the $6,292 bonus paid by CBRE during the notice period should be deducted as mitigation income.
It argued it should get credit for 11/18 of this amount but acknowledged only one of the three payments was made during the notice period. Thus, I would hold 1/3, or $2,097.33, should be deducted from the $7,200, leaving a net amount of $5,102.67, which I would round to $5,000. [ 56 ] Mr. Birmingham’s evidence of his specific losses was, in many respects, equivocal. He should have known what, if any, losses under this head of damage he had sustained: Abrams v. RTO Asset Management , 2020 NBCA 57 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 200 (QL) .
There should have been no speculation in 2021, at the time of trial, as to the losses incurred from a termination effective December 31, 2016. The burden of proof is on the employee: Covered Bridge Golf and Country Club v. Schurman , 2009 NBCA 1 , 340 N.B.R. (2d) 168 . [ 57 ] As noted, Mr. Birmingham earned exactly the same income during the notice period as he did as an employee of Exxon at the time of termination. There is therefore no loss of income. His losses, as noted, have been established at $5,000 net of mitigation. D.
The right to terminate with notice [ 58 ] The judge found this right is modified where the termination of the employee results in a benefit to the employer or there are other job opportunities available, stating: […] Counsel for Exxon argued forcefully that to treat this case as anything more than a straight-forward wrongful dismissal would be contrary to established employment law and risk opening the Court to a flood of claims.
To respond to that contention. and frame the matter for further discussion. it is necessary to first identify (if I have not already done so) what I find so problematic and troubling about the facts of this case. It is not the reality of Mr. Birmingham’s termination or the outsourcing of his job. As discussed in paragraph 26, these things happen every day; if that were all that was at issue, this decision would have ended at paragraph 23. Nor is it Exxon’s failure to be more forthcoming with Mr. Birmingham about the differential between his and Ms.
Norton’s severance entitlements: this is information that is personal to each impacted employee. Rather what I find unfair or unjust (the reader can select their own adjective) is the strategy adopted by Exxon to compel (motivate) Mr. Birmingham to accept the offer of employment from CBRE at a time when it was in the process of adding employees to its Moncton office, including 44 new hires into a Department where Mr. Birmingham was previously employed. Exxon s refusal to afford Mr.
Birmingham the opportunity to even compete for one of these positions, although making perfect business sense from the perspective of maximizing the benefits of the CBRE transaction, can only be regarded as unfair in the context of Mr. Birmingham’s individualized circumstances, having record to the factors referenced herein and/or summarized in paragraph 28. [para. 29] [ 59 ] There is no basis in law for such a finding, and it contradicts well established and accepted common law principles of employment law, as already noted. E.
Assessment of damages [ 60 ] Although I would allow the appeal based on the reversible errors noted above, a few comments are in order relating to the judge’s assessment of damages. He made no distinction between an assessment for unfairness in the termination process (for which the remedy is aggravated damages, which was pleaded) and unjust enrichment (for which the remedy is restitution, which was not pleaded). Damages for both claims are not the same. Notwithstanding this, he wrote: As already stated, precise mathematical computations are not possible.
Hence, I will start with the $7,200.00 in severance offered by Exxon. To that amount, I will add $50,000.00 to compensate Mr. Birmingham for unfairness in the termination process and/or the unjust
enrichment that flowed to Exxon as a consequence of the Project Mercury transactional structure. In arriving at this number, I am somewhat arbitrarily [combining] discounted portions of the bursary entitlement (I consider it highly probable some of Mr. Birmingham’s children would have pursued (continued to pursue) post-secondary education and qualified for the program), enhanced pension entitlement (recall Ms. Norton received $58,300.00 – I consider it highly probable Mr.
Birmingham would be an Exxon employee now if he had been permitted to compete for one of the new positions in the Fuels Division in 2017) and some value for the Exxon group health and dental plans. [para. 43] [ 61 ] His assessment of damages is largely predicated on the fact Mr. Birmingham was not given another job with Exxon.
As noted, the pretext of not giving him another job to justify the award he made is not grounded in law. [ 62 ] The values to which the judge referred in compiling a number for damages were based on benefits Exxon received, which he quantified as operational benefits, unspecified benefits/better terms for entering into a contract with CBRE and CBRE gaining an experienced employee. However, none of these benefits can be quantified so that their value might be remitted to Mr.
Birmingham. [ 63 ] The remedy of restitution focuses on ensuring the plaintiff recovers the benefit/enrichment the defendant has unjustly retained. In The Law of Restitution (Toronto: Thomson Reuters, 2019) , the authors Peter D. Maddaugh and John D.
McCamus state: It is of critical importance to distinguish clearly between restitutionary obligations and obligations imposed by the law of contract and tort with which they are most likely to be confused. [...] These varying objectives or general principles are manifest in the differing interests protected by the relief afforded in each area and the corresponding measure of compensation. In contract law, the expectation interest is protected.
In calculating contractual damages, the court attempts to place the plaintiff, so far as it can be done by an award of money damages, in the “same position as the plaintiff would have been in if the contract had been performed”. Damages are in this sense forward-looking and may involve an award of anticipated profits lost as a result of the breach. In tort, however, the general principle for the calculation of damages is one of compensating the plaintiff for injuries sustained.
Tort damages are backward looking in the sense that they attempt to make the plaintiff whole and placed in as good a position as before the injury was sustained.
In restitution. of course, the object is to grant to the plaintiff recovery of the value of the benefit or enrichment acquired by the defendant in circumstances making its retention by the defendant unjust. [c. 3 at 3:200] [ 64 ] With respect to damages for “unfairness in the termination process,” as outlined above, aggravated damages for bad faith in the termination process compensate the employee for injuries flowing from the manner of dismissal (e.g., emotional distress) – not for losses incurred because an employee was dismissed (e.g., loss of better pension benefits).
The onus is on the former employee to establish the injuries do not flow from the dismissal itself. By his own admission, Mr. Birmingham did not suffer any such damages, and he also acknowledged none of the evidence he led was intended to address this. [ 65 ] The trial judge therefore committed a reversible error in assessing damages for the losses Mr. Birmingham allegedly sustained as a consequence of his inability to continue his employment with Exxon. These are not recoverable at law. [ 66 ] He further erred in using the severance offer of another employee as a basis for calculating an award of damages to Mr.
Birmingham. That information is completely irrelevant. [ 67 ] Finally, it is well settled that any employment income earned during the reasonable notice period is to be deducted from an award of damages for wrongful dismissal. The judge dismissed Exxon’s argument that the portion of the $6,292 bonus paid by CBRE during the notice period should be deducted as mitigation income. He failed to provide any logical or legal basis for the rejection of this submission. This was a further error, which is corrected in para. 55 above. VII. Disposition [ 68 ] For these reasons, I would allow the appeal in part.
I would reduce the damages awarded at trial to $5,000 and set aside the award of costs. I would order the respondent pay costs throughout, which I would set at $5,000.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE LEBLOND I. Introduction [1] La principale question que soulève l’appel est celle de savoir si la doctrine de l’enrichissement injustifié en equity offre un recours dans une affaire de congédiement abusif ordinaire. Je conclus, pour les motifs qui suivent, qu’elle n’offre pas de recours dans ce cas. II. Aperçu des faits [2]
La société appelante, ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Canada ULC, a employé l’intimé, James Darrel Birmingham, du 29 avril 2002 au 31 décembre 2016, date de cessation de son emploi. Au moment de la cessation d’emploi, M. Birmingham occupait le poste de superviseur des services aux locataires au sein de la division de la gestion des installations d’Exxon, à Moncton, et gagnait 57 200 $ par année. Il était âgé de 41 ans. [3] Le 10 août 2016, Exxon a annoncé le transfert à CB Richard Ellis (CBRE) de sa division de la gestion des installations.
La mesure annoncée s’inscrivait dans une restructuration mondiale de ses activités. M. Birmingham a appris que son emploi chez Exxon prendrait fin et que CBRE lui offrirait un emploi continu assorti du salaire qu’il touchait auparavant, ainsi que d’avantages sociaux et de mesures incitatives. Il a été informé qu’il ne pourrait pas conserver son emploi chez Exxon, malgré la création de nouveaux postes dans son lieu de travail, dans le cadre de la restructuration, pour lesquels il était qualifié.
Il a accepté ce nouvel emploi chez CBRE le 12 septembre 2016 et est entré en fonctions le 1 er janvier 2017. [4] Dans la mesure où Exxon mettait fin à son emploi sans motif valable, M. Birmingham avait droit à un préavis. Le juge du procès a conclu, d ans la décision portée en appel, que devait s’ajouter au préavis de travail un préavis de onze mois qui courait à compter du 1 er janvier 2017. Cette conclusion n’est pas contestée en appel. [5] Dans le cadre du programme incitatif qu’elle avait instauré, CBRE a remis à M.
Birmingham une prime de 6 292 $ en trois versements égaux au cours des dix-huit premiers mois de son emploi. M. Birmingham avait droit, par ailleurs, à des indemnités de vacances, à un régime enregistré d’épargne-retraite, à un régime de soins médicaux et dentaires, et à une assurance vie et invalidité. [6] Son emploi chez Exxon offrait, entre autres avantages sociaux, un programme de bourses d’études postsecondaires qui pouvait procurer une allocation d’études annuelle de 5 000 $ par enfant aux employés dont les enfants admissibles atteignaient ce stade de leurs études.
À la date de cessation d’emploi, un seul des trois enfants de M. Birmingham avait été jugé admissible à la bourse et l’avait reçue au cours d’une année. [7] Outre qu’elle a donné un préavis à M. Birmingham, Exxon lui a offert une indemnité de départ en compensation d’éventuelles pertes différentielles dans le cas de certains avantages sociaux existants. M. Birmingham devait notamment perdre un régime de soins médicaux et dentaires plus généreux, ainsi qu’un régime de pension à prestations déterminées.
L’offre prévoyait le maintien de la garantie des soins médicaux et dentaires supérieure du régime d’Exxon pendant deux mois après la cessation d’emploi, de même que le versement d’un montant de 7 200 $, établi d’après les calculs d’Exxon, destiné à l’indemniser des pertes différentielles qu’il pourrait subir au cours de la période de préavis, dont la perte de cotisations à un régime de pension à cotisations déterminées. L’offre lui était faite à la condition que M. Birmingham remette à Exxon une renonciation à l’exercice de recours ultérieurs. Il a décliné l’offre et intenté une poursuite.
[8] L’avis de poursuite accompagné d’un exposé de la demande qu’a déposé M. Birmingham l’a été dans le cadre de la règle 79 des Règles de procédure . Il sollicite des dommages-intérêts généraux pour congédiement abusif, dont la valeur des avantages sociaux perdus durant la période de préavis, des dommages-intérêts majorés pour mauvaise foi et les mesures de redressement, indéterminées cependant, [TRADUCTION] « que la Cour estime juste[s] ». [9] Le procès a duré une journée.
Le juge du procès a convenu que le préavis de onze mois proposé par Exxon était approprié dans les circonstances et a accordé, pour dommages-intérêts, la somme de 7 200 $ dont Exxon avait estimé qu’elle représentait les pertes différentielles qu’il pourrait subir pendant la période de préavis. Il a conclu que M. Birmingham n’avait pas établi qu’il ait droit à d’autres montants qu’à celui de 7 200 $ pour ce qui est de la période de préavis, sauf, peut-être, à 5 000 $ pour la deuxième année d’études universitaires de son enfant aîné, conclusion au soutien de laquelle la preuve manquait.
Il a constaté en outre que rien ne justifiait d’accorder des dommages-intérêts pour préjudice moral, ou des dommages-intérêts majorés ou punitifs. Le juge a accueilli cependant la demande de dommages-intérêts restitutoires pour enrichissement injustifié présentée par M. Birmingham, bien que cette mesure de redressement, absente de sa plaidoirie, eût été demandée pour la première fois au cours de son exposé final. Le juge lui a accordé des dommages-intérêts de 50 000 $ pour l’indemniser du [TRADUCTION] « caractère inéquitable du processus de congédiement ou au
titre de l’enrichissement injustifié ». III. Éléments de contexte supplémentaires [10] Encore que la décision du juge du procès sur les demandes énoncées dans la plaidoirie se soit appuyée sur une analyse appropriée, il en va tout autrement de sa décision d’entendre et d’accueillir la demande de dommages-intérêts pour enrichissement injustifié. Dans cette
partie de son jugement, le juge du procès a abordé ce qu’il a appelé des [TRADUCTION] « considérations supplémentaires ». Il a entre autres conjecturé sur la valeur que représentait pour Exxon l’externalisation, dans le cadre de sa restructuration mondiale, de la division au sein de laquelle M. Birmingham travaillait. Il a retenu la prétention de M.
Birmingham voulant que l’externalisation de la division au sein de laquelle il travaillait avait apporté des bénéfices importants à Exxon, mais l’avait placé, lui, dans une situation [TRADUCTION] « très inéquitable » en le contraignant à faire le même travail au même salaire, mais avec des avantages sociaux réduits et sans pouvoir postuler un seul des nouveaux emplois qu’Exxon créait dans le cadre de la restructuration, emplois auxquels son expérience [TRADUCTION] « aurait dû le préparer, en toute logique, à accéder ». Le juge a conclu que l’impossibilité dans laquelle se trouvait M.
Birmingham de postuler un des nouveaux emplois ne s’expliquait pas par son rendement au travail, mais découlait [TRADUCTION] « de la volonté d’Exxon de tirer le maximum de sa transaction avec CBRE ». [11] Le juge du procès s’est ensuite demandé si ces considérations importaient, étant donné que la demande de M. Birmingham reposait sur la résiliation de son contrat de travail. S’il avait répondu par la négative à cette interrogation, comme il l’aurait dû, le présent appel n’aurait pas été intenté. L’analyse du juge au
chapitre de l’enrichissement injustifié s’attache à ce qui lui apparaît [TRADUCTION] « inéquitable ou injuste » dans la stratégie adoptée par Exxon pour [TRADUCTION] « forcer » (inciter) M. Birmingham à accepter l’offre d’emploi de CBRE alors qu’elle s’affairait à ajouter des postes à son bureau de Moncton, dont quarante-quatre dans un service où M. Birmingham avait déjà travaillé (par. 29). Le juge est ensuite arrivé à la conclusion suivante : [TRADUCTION] « On ne peut qualifier le refus d’Exxon de permettre à M.
Birmingham de même se porter candidat à ces postes – un choix judicieux sur le plan des affaires, pour lui faire tirer le maximum de sa transaction avec CBRE – que d’inéquitable dans le cas particulier de M. Birmingham » (par. 29). [12] Le juge du procès a accordé à M. Birmingham 50 000 $ pour l’indemniser [TRADUCTION] « du caractère inéquitable du processus de congédiement ou au
titre de l’enrichissement injustifié que la [restructuration avait] procuré à Exxon » (par. 43). Il a expliqué qu’il était arrivé à ce montant ainsi : [TRADUCTION] « [J]e réunis quelque peu arbitrairement des parties escomptées du droit à des bourses (j’estime fort probable que des enfants de M. Birmingham aient fait (ou poursuivi) des études postsecondaires et aient été admissibles au programme) » (par. 43). Son analyse prenait en compte, de même, un droit à pension. Sur ce point, le juge a écrit : [TRADUCTION] « [J’]estime fort probable que M.
Birmingham serait maintenant un employé d’Exxon si on l’avait autorisé à se porter candidat à un des nouveaux postes » (par. 43). [13] La décision du juge du procès d’accorder des dommages-intérêts pour enrichissement injustifié est à l’origine de l’appel d’Exxon. L’appelante fait valoir que cette décision s’écarte considérablement de principes de droit du travail de longue date qui sont solidement établis. IV. Moyens d’appel [14] Exxon avance quatre moyens. Le juge du procès aurait fait erreur :
1. en examinant une demande reposant sur l’enrichissement injustifié, demande qui était absente des plaidoiries et dont il n’avait pas été saisi; 2. en concluant que le droit de mettre fin à un emploi sans motif valable, avec préavis, se trouve modifié par la situation commerciale de l’employeur; 3. en concluant à l’enrichissement injustifié d’Exxon ou à un traitement inéquitable de M. Birmingham dans le processus de congédiement; 4. dans son évaluation des dommages-intérêts. V.
Norme de contrôle [15] Le présent appel soulève des questions de droit, d’une part à l’égard de demandes qui étaient énoncées dans les plaidoiries et dont le juge était régulièrement saisi, d’autre part à l’égard des recours juridiques qu’ouvrent le congédiement abusif, l’enrichissement injustifié ou la mauvaise foi dans le processus de congédiement. Ce sont des questions de droit ou des questions mixtes de droit et de fait qui exigent l’application d’un principe juridique.
La norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la décision correcte : 1) la question des plaidoiries touche l’observation des règles de la plaidoirie ( Succession de Michael Burke et 1021256 Ontario Inc. c. Royal & Sun Alliance du Canada, société d’assurance , 2011 NBCA 98 , 381 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 81 , par. 48 ); 2) une fois qu’a été désignée une cause d’action, le recours qui y est associé ne doit pas être confondu avec le recours qu’autorise une cause d’action différente ( Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , par. 8 , 31 et 35). VI. Analyse [16] La poursuite de M.
Birmingham ressortit à la rupture de contrat. Il n’a pas droit à des dommages-intérêts pour la perte de son emploi du seul fait que cette cessation d’emploi est [TRADUCTION] « inéquitable ». La Cour suprême a traité de la question dans Honda Canada Inc. c. Keays , 2008 CSC 39 , [2008 ] 2 R.C.S. 362 : L’action pour congédiement injustifié se fonde sur l’obligation, découlant tacitement du contrat de travail, de donner un préavis raisonnable de l’intention de mettre fin à la relation d’emploi en l’absence d’un motif valable de le faire.
Ainsi, l’employé auquel l’employeur ne donne pas un préavis raisonnable de cessation d’emploi peut intenter une action pour manquement à cette obligation tacite ( Wallace , par. 115). Suivant la règle générale issue de l’arrêt britannique Addis c.
Gramophone Co. , [1909] A.C. 488 (H.L.) , des dommages-intérêts ne sont alors accordés que pour le préjudice causé par l’omission de l’employeur de donner le préavis requis, et l’employé ne peut être indemnisé de la perte de son emploi non plus que des souffrances morales causées par le congédiement . [...] [Je souligne; par. 50] [17] Sauf mauvaise foi ou autres circonstances particulières, un employé n’a droit, à la cessation d’emploi, qu’à un préavis raisonnable de congédiement. Ce principe est primordial et la Cour suprême en a donné confirmation dans Evans c.
Teamsters Local Union No. 31 , 2008 CSC 20 , [2008] 1 R.C.S. 661 : […] Le préavis a pour objet de donner à l’employé une possibilité suffisante de chercher un nouvel emploi et d’organiser ses affaires personnelles; l’employeur qui donne un préavis suffisant n’est pas tenu de verser de l’argent à l’employé du simple fait d’avoir choisi de mettre fin au contrat. […] […] selon un principe reconnu en droit du travail, les employeurs ont le droit (et y sont en fait encouragé
s) de donner à leurs employés des préavis et, sauf mauvaise foi ou autres circonstances atténuantes, ils ne sont pas obligés d’indemniser financièrement un employé pour la seule raison qu’ils ont résilié le contrat de travail. […] [par. 28 et 29]
[18] Exxon soutient que la décision du juge du procès s’écarte très nettement du droit et qu’il a en fait conclu qu’un employé a droit à des dommages-intérêts si son congédiement est [TRADUCTION] « inéquitable », si la cessation d’emploi apporte un avantage à l’employeur, ou si l’employeur avait pu l’affecter à un autre poste au sein de l’organisation. Les répercussions de conclusions semblables sont profondes. Mettre fin à l’emploi d’un employé apporte presque toujours un avantage à l’employeur.
De plus, il n’existe aucune obligation en droit d’étudier la possibilité d’un nouveau poste, pour un employé, avant son congédiement. Nous avons vu que, en common law, les employeurs ont le droit de résilier un contrat de travail de durée indéterminée sans motif valable et sans en donner les raisons. [19] Notre Cour a conclu, dans Dunsmuir c.
Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Conseil de gestion , 2006 NBCA 27 , 297 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 151 (pourvoi à la Cour suprême rejeté, 2008 CSC 9 , [2008] 1 R.C.S. 190 ), que l’employeur peut congédier un employé avec préavis sans en donner la raison, sauf considérations relevant des droits de la personne.
Elle a ajouté : [I]l n’est pas logique qu’un employeur qui a le droit légal de mettre fin à l’emploi d’un employé sur remise d’un préavis puisse être contraint de participer à une audience d’arbitrage dans le cadre de laquelle il est contre-interrogé sur les véritables raisons qui l’ont amené à remettre un avis de cessation d’emploi. Je suis d’avis que si un employeur a le droit de congédier un employé sur remise d’un préavis, les motifs pour lesquels le préavis a été donné, au départ, doivent être réputés non pertinents […] [par. 27 et 28] [20] Ni le droit ni les faits ne fondent M.
Birmingham à affirmer qu’il avait une attente raisonnable d’admissibilité à postuler un autre emploi auprès d’Exxon. A. Plaidoiries [21] Les plaidoiries régissent les questions en litige, et les pièges pendant le procès n’ont pas leur place dans notre système de justice moderne.
La règle 27.06(10) exige expressément des parties qu’elles spécifient la nature des mesures de redressement demandées dans leurs plaidoiries : 27.06(10) Where a pleading contains a claim for relief, the nature of the relief claimed shall be specified. […] 27.06(10) Lorsque dans une plaidoirie des mesures de redressement sont demandées, la nature de ces mesures doit être spécifiée. […] [22] Je m’arrête un moment à l’importance particulière des plaidoiries dans une action engagée, comme celle-ci, dans le cadre de la règle 79.
Les règles de la plaidoirie, dont la règle 27.06, s’appliquent aux actions introduites et poursuivies dans le cadre de la règle 79. Comme l’écrivait le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre), au nom de la Cour, dans Acadie-Presse Ltée c. Blanchard , 2013 NBCA 58 , 409 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 152 : [Puisque] l’action s’instruit sans les clarifications que l’interrogatoire préalable permet dans l’action ordinaire, il est particulièrement important que les plaidoiries dans une instance simplifiée soient conformes à ces règles.
Celles-ci ont été façonnées afin de préciser les questions en litige et de circonscrire les débats, un résultat indéniablement propice à l’élaboration de la solution équitable qu’envisage la règle 1.03(2). [par. 34] [23] Dans Succession de Michael Burke et 1021256 Ontario Inc. , notre Cour a conclu que statuer sur une cause en accordant un recours en equity absent des plaidoiries constitue une erreur de droit : En toute déférence, le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en appuyant sa décision sur des faits qui n’avaient été ni plaidés, ni prouvés, et en statuant sur l’affaire en accordant un recours en equity qui n’avait pas été sollicité, soit la levée du voile de la personnalité
morale de la 1021256 Ontario Inc. [par. 48] [24] Dans l’arrêt
Section locale 772 de l’Association unie des compagnons et apprentis de l’industrie de laplomberie et de la tuyauterie des États-Unis et du Canada c. Association unie des compagnons et apprentis de l’industrie de laplomberie et de la tuyauterie des États-Unis et du Canada, Association unie des compagnons et apprentis de l’industrie de la plomberie et de la tuyauterie des États-Unis et du Canada,
section locale 325, Hughes et Wood, 2013 NBCA 33, 404 R.N.-B. (2e) 332, notre Coura insisté sur le rôle essentiel que jouent les plaidoiries afin d’empêcher qu’un procès civil donne lieu à une « enquête générale tousazimuts » : […] Plus généralement, et comme dans n’importe quelle instance, les questions qui doivent être tranchées sont définies par lesplaidoiries. Les tribunaux ne doivent pas « permettre qu’un procès civil se transforme en une sorte d’enquête générale tous azimuts »(voir l’arrêt Bande indienne des Lax Kw’alaams c. Canada (Procureur général), 2011 CSC 56, [2011] 3 R.C.S. 535, au par. 11).
Leprocès civil ne fait pas intervenir la méthode apparentée à une « commission d’enquête » menée par un ou plusieurs commissaires quipartent « en expédition avec, pour seule arme, un mandat très général » (voir l’arrêt Lax, au par. 40). Dans l’arrêt ADI Ltd. c. 052987 N.B. Inc. et al., (2000), 232 R.N.-B. (2e) 47, 2000 NBCA 55, le juge d’appel Turnbull, qui rendait jugement au nom de lamajorité, a dit que l’objectif fondamental des règles de plaidoirie applicables au demandeur était [TRADUCTION] « de faire en sorte quele défendeur puisse préparer sa défense » (par. 3).
En définissant les questions en litige, les plaidoiries informent équitablement lesparties adverses et la Cour des faits invoqués. Pour reprendre les propos colorés du juge Binnie dans l’arrêt Lax « [l]’instruction d’uneaction ne doit pas ressembler à un voyage perpétuel du Vaisseau fantôme, dont l’équipage est condamné à errer sans fin sur les mers,sans destination précise ». [par. 42] [25] Dans la plaidoirie de M.
Birmingham, seules étaient sollicitées des [TRADUCTION] « mesures deredressement pour rupture du contrat de travail », plus exactement des dommages-intérêts généraux pour congédiement abusif, desdommages-intérêts majorés pour mauvaise foi, les intérêts et les dépens. Il n’a invoqué l’enrichissement injustifié qu’au stade desexposés finaux. Il a alors soutenu que la mesure demandée était visée par la formule [TRADUCTION] « toute autre mesure deredressement que la Cour estime juste ». [26] Le juge du procès a prié les parties de produire des mémoires postérieurs à l’audience portant surl’enrichissement injustifié.
Dans son mémoire, Exxon a soutenu que l’enrichissement injustifié n’avait pas été plaidé régulièrement etque le principe était inapplicable dans les circonstances. Le juge a pris acte de tous ces arguments, mais il a légitimé ainsi sa prise enconsidération, malgré tout, de la demande : [TRADUCTION][…] Dans son exposé de la demande, M. Birmingham n’a rien demandé expressément sur le fondement de l’enrichissement injustifié.
Ila toutefois sollicité [TRADUCTION] « toute autre mesure de redressement que la Cour estime juste », ce qui a été reconnu conférer aujuge le pouvoir discrétionnaire de déterminer la réparation appropriée, y compris une réparation en equity – voir Desjardins et al. c. Côté et al. (2003), 2003 NBBR 214 , 267 R.N.-B. (2e) 115 (C.B.R.) (paragraphes 215 à 218), (2006) 2006 NBCA 81 , 304 R.N.-B. (2e) 40 (C.A.N.-B.). Comme dans l’affaire Côté, de plus, Exxon n’a pas été prise au dépourvu en l’espèce. L’exposé desfaits qui étaye les arguments de M.
Birmingham en matière d’enrichissement injustifié est le même que celui qu’il présente pourdemander une conclusion de processus de licenciement inéquitable. De plus, il était évident pour Exxon tout au long de l’instance queM. Birmingham, peu importe le qualificatif juridique servant à catégoriser sa demande, sollicitait des dommages-intérêts pour les pertesdécoulant de son incapacité de poursuivre son emploi auprès d’elle.
Par conséquent, je poursuivrai en examinant si les éléments requissont présents, en l’espèce, pour conclure à l’enrichissement injustifié. [par. 34] [27] Ce recours à la décision Desjardins et al. c. Côté et al., 2003 NBBR 214, 267 R.N.-B. (2e) 115, au soutien del’affirmation du juge était injustifié. Il ne tient aucun compte de ce que, dans cette affaire, l’un des moyens avancés par le défendeur enappel contestait qu’on se soit appuyé sur un chef de demande général (Côté c. Desjardins, Côté, et La Ville de Grand-Sault et autres, 2006 NBCA 81, 304 R.N.-B. (2e) 40).
Notre Cour y a également fait observer ce qui suit à propos de ce moyen d’appel : À mon avis, ce moyen d’appel est sans fondement puisque la juge du procès a statué, à bon droit, que les mesures de redressement ayanttrait au remboursement des sommes reçues par M. Côté étaient toutes liées à l’entente de 1992.
Bref, la demande de remboursement dessommes additionnelles visait des mesures de redressement qui avaient été sollicitées par les intimés dans leur exposé de la demandemodifié, puisque ces dernières « visaient toutes les sommes que l’Association avait transférées à Fernand Côté » et ces questions ont étédébattues tout au long du procès. [par. 61] [28] Comme l’indique l’extrait précité de ses motifs, le juge du procès a aussi conclu qu’Exxon n’avait pas été priseau dépourvu parce que, pour une demande fondée sur l’enrichissement injustifié ou une demande invoquant le [TRADUCTION]
« caractère inéquitable du processus de licenciement »,
a) les faits avancés et
b) les dommages-intérêts réclamés sont les mêmes. Hormisque ces deux propositions sont fausses, ainsi que nous le verrons, les demandes n’ont pas été soumises au processus adversatif, mêmedans le cadre étroit de la règle 79. Il n’était donc pas loisible au juge du procès d’en connaître. [29] Dans l’arrêt TSP-Intl Ltd. c. Mills, (ON CA), [2006] O.J.
No. 2702 (QL) (C.A.), la jugeMacFarland a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Les théories subsidiaires sur lesquelles s’est reposée la juge du procès pour conclure à la responsabilité, ici, n’ont pas été avancées pourla première fois dans ses motifs, mais la juge ne les a avancées qu’une fois la présentation de la preuve achevée et une fois reçue lapremière série de mémoires complémentaires. Ainsi, jamais ces théories [TRADUCTION] « [n’ont subi] l’épreuve du processus adversatif », pour emprunter au juge d’appel Dohertyl’expression qu’il a employée dans Rodaro [par. 62].
Elles étaient absentes des actes de procédure et jamais les parties n’ont croisé le fer,à leur sujet, lors du procès. J’estime que, dans les circonstances particulières de l’espèce, faire valoir que les défendeurs ont eu lapossibilité de déposer des observations écrites supplémentaires sur les nouvelles théories de la responsabilité avancées par la juge duprocès n’apporte pas, à ce stade, de réponse aux arguments. La difficulté vient de ce que les parties n’ont ni formulé le litige ni conduit leprocès sur le fondement de ces théories.
Dans le contexte de la présente affaire, les défendeurs ont en fait été privés de connaître lesthèses auxquelles ils devaient répondre et privés de toute possibilité de répondre à ces thèses au cours du procès. [par. 34 et 35] [30] Outre qu’il a examiné d’une manière inappropriée une demande absente des plaidoiries qui invoquaitl’enrichissement injustifié, le juge s’est mépris sur sa portée dans les circonstances.
Une demande reposant sur l’enrichissement injustifiésuppose une analyse qui détermine s’il y a eu transfert d’un enrichissement (avantage) du demandeur au défendeur (cet enrichissementn’a pas été plaidé) et appauvrissement correspondant (cet appauvrissement n’a pas été plaidé). [31] On ne pouvait pas s’attendre raisonnablement d’Exxon, vu les plaidoiries, qu’elle prévoie que l’enrichissementinjustifié serait invoqué ou qu’elle aurait à produire de la preuve pour réfuter une demande en ce sens, sans compter que pareilledemande est dépourvue de pertinence dans le contexte du droit relatif au congédiement abusif. B.
Enrichissement injustifié et caractère inéquitable du congédiement
(1) Enrichissement injustifié [32] Le juge du procès a formulé correctement le critère de l’enrichissement injustifié, ou enrichissement sanscause. La Cour suprême l’a énoncé succinctement dans Moore c. Sweet, 2018 CSC 52, [2018] 3 R.C.S. 303 : [...] Selon ce cadre d’analyse rationnel, le demandeur aura gain de cause dans son action pour enrichissement sans cause s’il peutdémontrer :
a) que le défendeur s’est enrichi;
b) que le demandeur a subi un appauvrissement correspondant; et
c) que l’enrichissementdu défendeur et l’appauvrissement correspondant du demandeur ont eu lieu en l’absence d’un motif juridique (Pettkus c. Becker, (CSC), [1980] 2 R.C.S. 834, p. 848; Garland, par. 30; Kerr, par. 30-45). […] [par. 37] [33] Au premier stade de l’analyse, deux questions se posent : le défendeur s’est-il enrichi? Le demandeur a-t-ilsubi un appauvrissement correspondant? Dans l’arrêt Moore, la Cour suprême a confirmé que, pour établir l’enrichissement, ledemandeur doit d’abord démontrer que quelque chose de valeur est passé du demandeur au défendeur.
Elle s’est exprimée ainsi : [...] Pour établir que le défendeur s’est enrichi et que le demandeur a subi un appauvrissement correspondant, il faut démontrer quequelque chose de valeur – un « avantage tangible » – est passé du dernier au premier (Kerr, par. 38; Garland, par. 31; Peel, p. 790;Pacific National Investments Ltd. c. Victoria (Ville), 2004 CSC 75, [2004] 3 R.C.S. 575, par. 15). La Cour a dit des élémentsd’enrichissement et d’appauvrissement qu’ils rendent compte « du même phénomène, mais sous des angles différents » (Institutprofessionnel de la fonction publique du Canada c.
Canada (Procureur général), 2012 CSC 71, [2012] 3 R.C.S. 660 (« IPFPC »),par. 151), et qu’ils sont donc « essentiellement comme les deux côtés d’une pièce de monnaie » (Peter, p. 1012). [par. 41]
[34] La Cour a expliqué ensuite quel doit être l’appauvrissement subi par le demandeur : Outre l’enrichissement du défendeur, le demandeur qui plaide l’enrichissement sans cause doit aussi établir qu’il a subi un appauvrissement correspondant. Selon le professeur McInnes, cet élément sert à expliquer que le demandeur est la personne ayant qualité pour demander la restitution contre un défendeur qui s’est enrichi sans cause (M. McInnes, The Canadian Law of Unjust Enrichment and Restitution (2014), p. 149; voir également Peel , p. 789-790, et Kleinwort Benson Ltd. c.
Birmingham City Council , [1997] Q.B. 380 (C.A.), p. 393 et 400). Même si la conservation de l’avantage par le défendeur peut être qualifiée d’injuste, le demandeur n’a aucun droit de recouvrement contre ce défendeur s’il n’a subi aucune perte, ou s’il a subi une perte qui n’a rien à voir avec le gain du défendeur. […] [par. 43] [35] L’analyse du juge au
chapitre de l’enrichissement et de l’appauvrissement apparaît dans le passage suivant : [TRADUCTION] Tout d’abord, Exxon s’est-elle enrichie du fait du licenciement de M. Birmingham, et le licenciement a-t-il occasionné une perte pour M. Birmingham? [...] Exxon reconnaît elle-même que la transaction avec CBRE l’a enrichie et l’a rendue plus concurrentielle (paragraphes 24 et 25). Il est tout aussi évident qu’en conséquence de la transaction, M.
Birmingham a subi une perte (un appauvrissement) de manière directe et correspondante sur le plan des avantages sociaux ainsi que de la sécurité et des occasions professionnelles (paragraphe 28). […] [par. 35 et 36] [36] Dans son analyse, le juge a cité un plan de communications interne relatif à l’externalisation de services : [TRADUCTION] […] Pour Exxon, le projet Mercury constituait une [TRADUCTION] « occasion d’améliorer la prestation des services par le biais d’une approche intégrée » qui [TRADUCTION] « pouvait nous permettre d’anticiper les besoins commerciaux », eu égard au fait que [TRADUCTION] « [l]e climat commercial et économique actuel dans notre secteur rend simplement plus urgent de trouver des façons de rendre l’entreprise plus concurrentielle » (plan de communications pour le projet Mercury, onglet 5, page 70, recueil conjoint des pièces). [par. 24] [37] Il a supposé qu’Exxon avait dû escompter des économies de coûts et des synergies, parce que la transaction s’était probablement révélée onéreuse : [TRADUCTION] En langage d’entreprise, le projet Mercury permettait à Exxon de créer de la valeur en externalisant vers des fournisseurs de services moins coûteux (CBRE dans les Amériques) une division de prestation de services (la division des services MII).
Les économies de coûts et la synergie escomptées devaient être vraiment importantes : le plan de communications du projet Mercury (pages 43 à 46 du recueil conjoint des pièces) fait état de l’équipe nombreuse chargée du projet, et le processus de demande de propositions établi pour le projet Mercury (page 35 du recueil conjoint des pièces) a mis à contribution des ressources juridiques et logistiques considérables qu’on peut normalement imaginer avoir coûté, à l’échelle mondiale, environ 5 millions de dollars. Cela, c’est sans compter les indemnités de départ à verser à des personnes telles que M.
Birmingham et M me Norton. [par. 25] [38] Également, des [TRADUCTION] « leçons passées » ont amené le juge du procès à une inférence sur les négociations d’Exxon et de CBRE (la preuve, sur ce point, était inexistante) : [TRADUCTION] [...] En l’espèce, Exxon voulait – tout au moins dans les Amériques – non seulement que le travail effectué par la division des services MII soit effectué à un coût inférieur, mais aussi atteindre une certaine synergie, par l’accomplissement de ce travail par les mêmes personnes qu’auparavant, cela évitant toute perturbation des opérations.
Je déduis des leçons passées que cette caractéristique de la transaction avec CBRE a aussi rendu celle-ci plus avantageuse financièrement pour Exxon, ou a conduit CBRE à accepter davantage d’obligations en matière de rendement (indicateurs de rendement clés), comme elle acquérait une main-d’œuvre expérimentée et largement inchangée. [par. 26]
[39] Enfin, au par. 28, le juge a fait état des répercussions que la transaction avait eues sur M. Birmingham : perte d’accès à des avantages sociaux, à la sécurité d’emploi et aux possibilités d’emploi qu’il avait lorsqu’il travaillait pour Exxon. Il semblerait donc que le raisonnement tenu par le juge du procès, sans preuve directe à l’appui, ait été le suivant :
a) enrichissement d’Exxon : (
i) une transaction conclue avec un tiers (CBRE) a procuré à Exxon des avantages en matière d’exploitation; (ii) parce que la division de M. Birmingham (MII) devait être maintenue (éventuellement) chez CBRE, les conditions de la transaction ont été plus favorables ou CBRE a acquiescé à ces conditions;
b) appauvrissement correspondant : par suite de la transaction, M. Birmingham s’est vu empêché de postuler d’autres emplois auprès d’Exxon et, de ce fait, a perdu les avantages sociaux et la sécurité ou les possibilités d’emploi qui s’offraient à lui lorsqu’il travaillait pour cette société. [40] Premièrement, l’accord contractuel d’Exxon et de CBRE n’était pas offert en preuve, parce qu’il n’était pas pertinent (et ne l’est toujours pas) en ce qui a trait à la demande d’indemnisation pour congédiement abusif. Les conditions et la négociation des conditions d’un tel contrat ne sont pas davantage pertinentes.
Le mal qui pourrait être fait si l’on rendait ces éléments de preuve pertinents dans le contexte d’une demande d’indemnisation pour congédiement abusif est immense. La demande relève des clauses du contrat de M. Birmingham avec Exxon – son contrat de travail. [41] Deuxièmement, aucun des « avantages » qu’Exx