2018 NBCA 86, 2018 NBCA 86
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK THERESA JONES APPELLANT 30-18-CA THERESA JONES APPELANTE - and - - et - THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA as representative of the ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE, and JOHN PITCHER RESPONDENTS LA PROCUREURE GÉNÉRALE DU CANADA, en qualité de représentante de la GENDARMERIE ROYALE DU CANADA, et JOHN PITCHER INTIMÉS Jones v. The Attorney General of Canada as representative of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police et al., 2018 NBCA 86 Jones c.
La procureure générale du Canada, en qualité de représentante de la Gendarmerie royale du Canada, et autre, 2018 NBCA 86 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LaVigne CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: March 2, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 2 mars 2018 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 046 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBBR 046 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: September 26, 2018 Judgment rendered: December 20, 2018 Appel entendu : le 26 septembre 2018 Jugement rendu : le 20 décembre 2018 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice LaVigne Counsel at hearing: Theresa Jones appeared in person For the respondents: Jan Jensen Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge LaVigne Avocats à l’audience : Theresa Jones a comparu en personne Pour les intimés : Jan Jensen THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] This is an appeal from a motion judge’s decision in which he struck out a Statement of Claim and dismissed an action pursuant to Rules 23.01(1)(
b) and 37.10(
a) of the Rules of Court . The appellant, a self-represented litigant, asserts the motion judge misapplied the law.
[ 2 ] On March 13, 2017, Theresa Jones commenced an action against the Attorney General of Canada, as representative of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), and Constable John Pitcher, a member of the RCMP. I will not repeat the 210-paragraph Statement of Claim; however, in essence, Ms. Jones seeks damages from the Attorney General of Canada and Constable John Pitcher for what she states was the negligence of Constable Pitcher to properly investigate her criminal complaints against a third party.
In addition, she alleges the RCMP tampered with evidence, obstructed justice, and lied to her with respect to the investigation of her criminal complaints, and this conduct amounts to malfeasance. [ 3 ] In her pre-motion brief, Ms. Jones summarized her claim: 5. The Plaintiff alleges that the Defendants criminally obstructed the course of justice and neglected other duties, with malice, in relation to their duty to investigate allegations of sexual assault, threats, harassment, fraud, and but not limited to identity fraud; 6.
The Plaintiff states that the conduct of the Defendants, mentioned above, is contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada and various Acts of Parliament and therefore initiates complaints against the Defendants. In the course of the [Plaintiff’s] attempts to have her complaints acknowledged, the Plaintiff pleads that the Defendants were subsequently negligent in their duty to acknowledge her complaints in relation to the Plaintiff’s conduct complaints against those members submitted to the Defendant RCMP Professional Responsibilities Unit; 7.
The Plaintiff alleges that senior members of the Defendant RCMP and members of the Defendant RCMP Professional Responsibilities Unit were willfully blind to the conflicts of interest of its members assigned to investigate the public complaints and she alleges that same were aware the Defendants had concluded RCMP incident file #2014624753, Uttering Threats without investigation, information the Plaintiff claims to have received through her access to information requests; 8.
The Plaintiff states that the conduct of the Defendants, mentioned, above, is negligent and that such conduct must be reviewed in relation to laws and Acts; 9.
The Plaintiff pleads the Defendant RCMP is negligent in its duty to investigate and report conduct complaints[,] in fact, the Plaintiff pleads the Defendant RCMP refused to permit an individual, specifically the Plaintiff, to make complaints against senior members of the Defendant RCMP and Defendant Unit, and that the Defendant RCMP neglected its duty to acknowledge the Plaintiff’s complaints they received, contrary to the RCMP Act . [paras. 5-9] [ 4 ] By way of background, in 2013, with the proclamation of the Enhancing Royal Canadian Mounted Police Accountability Act , S.C. 2013, c. 18 , ( Act ), the Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP was established.
Under the Act , civilians who allege misconduct by a member employed by the RCMP may file their complaints with the Commissioner and request an investigation into alleged misconduct (see also
Part VII of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. R-10 ( RCMP Act )). Pursuant to the RCMP Act , a civilian who is dissatisfied with the response to his or her criminal complaint may refer the matter to the Civilian Review and Police Complaints Commission (Commission) for review. Ms. Jones asserts she attended at the RCMP detachment with which she was dealing in respect of the criminal investigation, attempted to file a complaint pursuant to the RCMP Act , and was refused. Before us, Ms.
Jones advised she has subsequently filed several complaints with the Commission in regard to the investigation of her case, and she awaits the results of its investigation. II. Background A. Context [ 5 ] On May 29, 2014, Ms. Jones telephoned an RCMP Detachment and spoke to Constable Pitcher concerning an alleged criminal offence. In her complaint, she asserted she had been led to have a sexual encounter with a third party under false pretenses, that this person had lied to her concerning his identity, and she believed this to have been a sexual assault.
Constable Pitcher initially advised her that, in his opinion, no crime had been committed and he would not investigate it. After several ongoing conversations between Ms. Jones and Constable Pitcher, the RCMP sought a legal opinion from the Office of the Attorney General of New Brunswick, which echoed the original opinion offered by Constable Pitcher.
[6] Ms. Jones claims there were inconsistencies and “abnormalities” by the RCMP and the Office of the AttorneyGeneral in the handling of her file. She also alleges criminal “offences” were committed by the RCMP, leading her to believe the RCMPhad obstructed justice. [7] Ms. Jones, unsatisfied with the manner in which her claim was handled, including what she states wereunacceptable delays, conflicting information given to her by the RCMP and “lies” by Constable Pitcher, took her complaints to theCommission.
She was advised that the Commission does not investigate allegations of Criminal Code offences against members of theRCMP. She then proceeded with a civil action against the RCMP asserting it was “blatantly negligent” in its duties towards her pursuantto ss. 37 and 38 of the RCMP Act (Appendix “A”), to support her submission she was owed a duty of care. The Statement of Claim is, atits core, a claim in negligence. Ms. Jones claims damages for pain, suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of physical, mental andemotional health and loss of income. B.
Motion Judge’s Decision [8] On March 2, 2018, following a motion brought by the respondents, the motion judge rendered a writtendecision in which he struck out Ms. Jones’ pleadings pursuant to Rule 23.01(1)(b). He discussed the duty of care owed to an individualwho files a complaint of negligence against a public official, commonly referred to as the Cooper-Anns test, taken from a decision of theHouse of Lords in Anns v. Merton London Borough Council, [1978] A.C. 728, and followed by the Supreme Court in Cooper v. Hobart,2001 CSC 79 , [2001] 3 S.C.R. 537, [2001] S.C.J.
No. 76 (QL). [9] In the final paragraph of the decision, the motion judge writes: In my view, and for the same reasons articulated in Wellington, it is plain and obvious that Ms. Jones’ claim could not succeed if thematter were to proceed to trial as the defendants owed her no private law duty of care. Accordingly, the motion is granted and theStatement of Claim is struck. Pursuant to Rule 37.10 (a), judgment will also issue to the defendants dismissing the plaintiff’s action.[para. 14] [10] In Caissie v. Sénéchal Estate, 2001 NBCA 35, 237 N.B.R. (2d) 232, the Court held: Rule 23.01(1)(
b) allows for a motion to strike out a pleading on the ground that it does not disclose a reasonable cause of action ordefence. When the moving party is the defendant, the question to be answered by the court is the following: Assuming the facts as statedare true, is it “plain and obvious” that the Statement of Claim discloses no reasonable cause of action? See Hunt v. Carey Canada Inc., (CSC), [1990] 2 S.C.R. 959, at para. 33. [para. 10] [11] With respect to the dismissal of an action pursuant to Rule 37.10(a), see Norris v Lloyd’s of London (1998), (NB CA), 205 N.B.R. (2d) 29, [1998] N.B.J.
No. 351 (C.A.) (QL); Lawpost et al. v. New Brunswick (1999), (NB BR), 214 N.B.R. (2d) 297, [1999] N.B.J. No. 216 (C.A.) (QL); Sewell v. ING Insurance Company of Canada, 2007NBCA 42, [2007] N.B.J. No. 219 (QL). III. Grounds of Appeal [12] Ms. Jones raises three discrete grounds of appeal in the form of questions:
i) Did the motion judge err in determining that there was no cause of action in negligence disclosed by the claim? ii) Did the motion judge err in failing to address whether or not there was a cause of action for misfeasance in public office disclosedin the claim? iii) Did the motion judge err by not granting the appellant leave to amend the claim? IV. Standard of Review
[ 13 ] The standard of review from a motion to strike out pleadings is correctness. See Scott v. Canada (Attorney General) , 2017 BCCA 422 , [2017] B.C.J. No. 2446 (QL) , at para. 44 ; Canada (A.G.) v. Walsh , 2016 NSCA 60 , [2016] N.S.J. No. 298 (QL), at para. 19 ; Quinn v. British Columbia , 2018 BCCA 320 , [2018] B.C.J. No. 2981 (QL) , paras. 42-43 . This is the standard applicable to the first two grounds of appeal. The third ground relates to the judge’s exercise of discretion. The standard of review for these types of decisions is a deferential one (see The Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v.
The Beaverbrook Art Gallery , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161 , per Drapeau C.J.N.B. (as he then was) at para. 4). V. Analysis A. Amendment to Pleadings [ 14 ] I start with the third ground of appeal. A reading of the transcript reveals that at the beginning of the hearing, counsel for the Attorney General of Canada raised a preliminary objection with respect to the admission of an additional affidavit Ms. Jones filed with the court prior to the hearing, and which she intended to use as part of her submission.
Counsel for the Attorney General submitted it would be an error in law for the motion judge to “consider external evidence on a motion to strike for no reasonable cause,” referring to Sewell . [ 15 ] In Sewell , there was conflicting affidavit evidence with respect to critical facts concerning whether, or not, there would be coverage under the SEF 44 provisions of a motor vehicle policy. Drapeau C.J.N.B. resolved the issue by concluding it was “entirely outside the adjudicative exercise required by ING’s motions under Rule 23.01(1)(
b) and 27.09” (para. 17). In that case, Ms. Sewell successfully appealed a motion judge’s decision to strike out her Notice of Action; however, on a narrow ground (para. 12). Specifically, Drapeau C.J.N.B. noted that one strikes out a Statement of Claim, not a Notice of Action. In the present case, the motion judge’s duty was not to determine whether the Plaintiff’s allegations were factually correct, but whether, or not, the pleadings disclosed a reasonable cause of action. See New Brunswick Community College et al. v. Vihvelin , 2015 NBCA 17 , 435 N.B.R. (2d) 75 , at paras. 28 and 29 . [ 16 ] Rule 23.02(
b) states that on applications under the Rule, evidence shall not be admitted without leave of the court, “except” those affidavits necessary to “identify a document or prove its execution.” [ 17 ] The motion judge exercised his discretionary authority and declined to admit the additional affidavit evidence proffered by Ms. Jones. In coming to this conclusion, he stated the following: Yes. The affidavit of Ms. Jones, Theresa Jones, filed with the court on November 6, 2017, is not admissible with regards to the hearing of this motion.
It is neither being proffered---in my view, it is either---neither necessary [or] permissible under Rule 23.02. It is not an exception that would fall under Rule 23.02, it is not attaching a transcript of a relevant examination and nor is it necessary to identify a document or prove its execution. The documentation that’s referred to, as I understand it, in the affidavit is generally referred to in the Statement of Claim, so it is---it would be redundant, in any event, even if it were permissible. [ 18 ] The above ruling is tied to the appellant’s request to amend her pleadings.
As the transcript advises, the motion judge raised a question concerning paragraph 4 of the Statement of Claim in which Ms. Jones asserted a claim against the “Attorney General of New Brunswick.” He observed there was a discrepancy as between the style and cause of the action, and the pleadings. Ms. Jones unsuccessfully sought leave to amend the Statement of Claim to reflect the fact that her claim was indeed directed towards the Attorney General of Canada.
[19] Notably, Ms. Jones did not file a motion. At no time did she specify what paragraphs of the Statement of Claimshe would amend, or what, if any, further claims she intended to add to her existing pleadings. Amendments to pleadings are governed byRule 27.10. The Court has acknowledged the wide-ranging powers to allow amendments; however, only if it is determined thoseamendments are clearly necessary for the purpose of determining the issue outstanding between the parties: see Voye v. Hartley, 2002NBCA 14, 247 N.B.R. (2d) 128, per Drapeau J.A. Counsel for the respondents opposed Ms.
Jones’ request to amend the pleadings,stating: “[…] and of course, on a motion to strike the court has discretion to allow the plaintiff to make suitable amendments, but in thiscase, defendants say that should not be granted. It’s a -- it’s a lengthy, 50-page claim, it goes into considerable detail, but the problem isfundamental, and that is the facts that are alleged just do not add up to a cause of action in law, and so we would ask that leave not begranted to amend” (Appeal Book, pp. 101-102). [20] The motion judge did not specifically rule on Ms. Jones’ request to amend. Aside from the fact Ms.
Jones didnot articulate her amended claim, nor did she file a motion seeking leave to amend the claim as noted, it is my view the motion judge wasnot obligated to do so. Once again, this was a discretionary decision on the part of the motion judge, and would have been of no momentin the totality of what the motion judge had to decide. Clearly, he was alive to the essence of Ms. Jones’ claims against both ConstablePitcher, and the Attorney General of Canada. The 50-page, single-spaced Statement of Claim identified the nature of her complaints.
Inmy opinion, an amendment would not have breathed “life into a pleading” as was discussed by the Court in Sewell (para. 26). B. Did the motion judge err in determining there was no cause of action in negligence disclosed by the claim? [21] Rule 23.01(1)(
b) allows a defendant, at any time before an action is set down for trial, to make an applicationto strike out a pleading which does not disclose a reasonable cause of action. [22] Ms. Jones submits her Statement of Claim establishes the defendants owed her a duty of care, which theybreached. The allegations, in the first instance, are tied to her claims the RCMP were negligent in the investigation of her criminalcomplaints against a third party. Secondly, she asserts the RCMP breached their duty of care owed to her as a civilian pursuant to s. 45 ofthe RCMP Act.
Section 45 sets out the process to be followed when “[a]ny individual” makes a complaint concerning the conduct of anRCMP officer, in the performance of any duty or function under the RCMP Act. [23] The respondents argue there was no private law duty of care owed by the RCMP to Ms. Jones. They state theRCMP is not obligated to investigate every complaint it receives if it judges the complaint to be unfounded. Further, they submit thatcreating a duty of care between the police and private citizens would run counter to public policy. [24] On this issue, the motion judge referred to Hunt v.
Carey Canada Inc., (CSC), [1990] 2 S.C.R.959, [1990] S.C.J. No. 93 (QL), and Wellington v. Ontario, 2011 ONCA 274, [2011] O.J. No. 1615 (QL), leave to appeal to the SupremeCourt denied: [2011] S.C.C.A. No. 258, where guidelines concerning the striking out of pleadings were stated as:
i) The allegations of fact as pleaded must be accepted as proven; ii) The burden rests with the moving party to establish it is plain and obvious the Plaintiff would not succeed if the matter were toproceed to trial; iii) The claim should not be struck merely because it is novel; iv) The pleadings must be read generously in favour of the Plaintiff with allowances made for drafting deficiencies. [25] In Wellington, the family of a deceased who was shot by a police officer filed a civil action against the SpecialInvestigation Unit (SIU), alleging negligence in respect of the investigation into the shooting.
The court concluded there was no privatelaw duty of care owed to the plaintiffs in respect of the conduct of the investigation. It concluded the relationship between the parties didnot give rise to a prima facie duty of care on the basis the plaintiffs “had no legal interest in the investigation or prosecution of [the OPPofficer]: that investigation and prosecution were matters of public law and public interest” (para. 18). See also Hill v.
Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Police Services Board, 2007 SCC 41, [2007] 3 S.C.R. 129. [26] The court in Wellington concluded that “public authorities, charged with making decisions in the general publicinterest, ought to be free to make those decisions without being subjected to a private law duty of care to specific members of the generalpublic. Discretionary public duties of this nature are ‘not aimed at or geared to the protection of the private interests of specificindividuals’ and do ‘not give rise to a private law duty sufficient to ground an action in negligence’” (Wellington at para. 44).
The motionjudge applied this reasoning.
[27] Wellington was recently applied in Connelly v. Toronto (Police Services Board), 2018 ONCA 368, [2018] O.J.No. 2028 (QL), at paras. 6-7, see also: Norris v. Gatien (2001), (ON CA), 56 O.R. (3d) 441, [2001] O.J. No. 4415(C.A.) (QL); Thompson v. Saanich (District) Police Department, 2010 BCCA 308, [2010] B.C.J. No. 1239. In Norris, there was a claimof negligence raised in relation to an investigation conducted by one police officer against another. The court concluded there wasnothing in the statutory mandate which gave rise to a duty of care to the plaintiffs. [28] In Odhavji Estate v.
Woodhouse, 2003 SCC 69, [2003] 2 S.C.R. 263, Iacobucci J. writes: [N]o individual has a private right to a thorough, competent and credible criminal investigation […] Individual citizens might desire athorough investigation, or even that the investigation result in a certain outcome, but they are not entitled to compensation in the absenceof a thorough investigation or if the desired outcome fails to materialize. [para. 40] [29] In this case, once the motion judge referred to Wellington, as well as Hunt, he moved to the Cooper-Anns test.Under the Cooper-Anns test, a duty of care is established where there is a relationship of sufficient proximity between the allegedwrongdoer and the person who has suffered damage, such that carelessness on the part of the wrongdoer is likely to cause damage to thelatter, and no relevant considerations exist to reduce or limit the scope of any imposed duty (see Anns at p. 752); see also Childs v.Desormeaux, 2006 SCC 18, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 643; Attis v.
Canada (Minister of Health) (2008), 2008 ONCA 660 , 93 O.R. (3d)35; French J.A. in Cropvise Inc. and Wolf & Wolf Seeds Inc. v. Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 2018 NBCA 28, [2018] N.B.J. No.110 (QL), at para. 81. [30] The motion judge concluded there was no private law duty of care of sufficient proximity owed to Ms. Jones toground a claim in negligence in this case. I discern no error in the motion judge’s analysis, nor in his conclusion on this ground and Iwould dismiss it. C. The misfeasance claim
(1) Did the motion judge err in failing to address whether or not there was a cause of action for misfeasance in public officedisclosed by the claim? [31] In Quinn, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, in allowing the appeal of a motion judge’s refusal to strike outthe pleadings, left the door open for the alternative claim of misfeasance in public office.
In that case, the parents of children who wereapprehended as a result of a child protection investigation had initiated civil proceedings against the Province of British Columbia,claiming damages arising from what they asserted was a negligent investigation by a social worker. Smith J.A. writes: However, bad faith conduct of the Director and his delegates is not insulated from review.
Section 101 of the CFCSA directs thatofficials administering the child protection scheme are exempted from personal liability only to the extent of “anything done or omittedin good faith” (emphasis added) in exercising their powers under the statute.
In my view, other parts of the Respondents’ pleadings speakto the tort of misfeasance in public office, which captures conduct that is “specifically intended to injure a person or class of persons”, orthe conduct of “a public officer who acts with knowledge both that she...has no power to do the act complained of and that the act islikely to injure the plaintiff”: Odhavji Estate v. Woodhouse, 2003 SCC 69 at para. 22; J.P. v. British Columbia (Children and FamilyDevelopment), 2017 BCCA 308 at paras. 319-31.
That sort of activity would presumably fall outside the ambit of the exemption fromliability in s. 101 of the CFCSA if the material facts were made out[…]. [para. 66] [32] Ms. Jones, in her Statement of Claim writes: The negligent individuals breached the aforementioned duties by, among other things: […] failing or neglecting to adhere to theappropriate legislation, policies, procedures, codes of conduct and guidelines in respect of upholding the law and the administration of
justice. [para. 201(b)] [33] There are numerous other paragraphs in the Statement of Claim where Ms. Jones alleges the RCMP committedunlawful acts. See paras. 114-119, 126, 135-136, 146, 188, in particular; however, at no point in the pleadings does she raise the claim ofmisfeasance specifically. In fact, at para. 205 of the Statement of Claim she states: 205.
These negligence and injuries as stated in paragraphs 198 to 202 have caused and continue to cause the plaintiff pain, suffering, lossof enjoyment of life, loss of physical, mental and emotional health, and loss of earning, past and prospective. [34] In paragraph 208 of the Statement of Claim, Ms.
Jones stakes out her claim for restitution in “relation to thesematters and also for its deliberate, willful negligence and its malicious intent to obstruct and pervert the course of justice” (emphasisadded). [35] An action in misfeasance in public office is a civil claim against a public official where it is alleged there hasbeen a misuse or abuse of their statutory power. Malice is required. Malfeasance, on the other hand, occurs when the public official isfound to have committed an unlawful act which affects the performance of his or her official duties: see Black’s Law Dictionary, TenthEdition, Bryan A.
Garner, Thomson Reuters; and Professor Erika Chamberlain: What is the Role of Misfeasance in a Public Office inModern Canadian Tort Law?, Canadian Bar Review, Vol. 88, No. 3 (2010). [36] Ms. Jones starts the appellant’s submission with: The statement of claim alleges misfeasance in public office and negligence against the respondent actions based on, but not limited to,allegations of criminal obstruction of justice, conspiracy to obstruct justice and intentional, unlawful failure to adhere to, but not limitedto, its statutory obligations the Royal [Mounted] Canadian Police Act, R.S.C., 1985, c.
R-10 (herein the “Act”), and the Police Actimposes. This is the first time we see the word misfeasance specifically referred to. The claim of misfeasance does not appear in the pleadings. Infact, during the motion hearing, Ms.
Jones referred to the claim as malfeasance. [37] The motion judge referred to Odhavji Estate, where Iacobucci J. agreed with Feldman J.A.’s dissenting opinionin which he concludes that: […] Liability does not attach to each officer who blatantly disregards his or her official duty, but only to a public officer who, in addition,demonstrates a conscious disregard for the interests of those who will be affected by the misconduct in question. This requirementestablishes the required nexus between the parties. […] [para. 29] See Granite Power Corp. v. Ontario (2004), (ON CA), 72 O.R. (3d) 194, [2004] O.J.
No. 3257 (QL); McMaster v.the Queen, 2008 FC 1158, [2008] F.C.J. No. 1436 (QL); Miguna v. Toronto (City) Police Services Board, 2008 ONCA 799, [2008] O.J.No. 4784 (QL).
(2) The Pleadings [38] In Local 772 of the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and PipefittingIndustry of the United States and Canada v. The United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and PipefittingIndustry of the United States and Canada and the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and PipefittingIndustry of the United States and Canada, Local 325 and Hughes and Wood, 2013 NBCA 33, [2013] N.B.J. No. 130 (QL), DrapeauC.J.N.B. writes: Rule 27.06(1) requires a plaintiff to set out in his or her pleading a concise statement of the material facts upon which there is reliance for
the claim. Conclusions of law, such as the legal invalidity of the Order of Consolidation which is alleged in the Amended Statement of Claim, “may be pleaded provided that the material facts supporting such conclusions are pleaded”: Rule 27.06(2). More generally, and as in all cases, the issues requiring adjudication are defined by the pleadings. […] [para. 42] [ 39 ] In that case, the Court acknowledged there were un-pleaded issues which were raised only in the pre-hearing brief, and then again during the motion hearing. In The Government of Nunavut v.
Humphrey Schram , 2014 NBCA 53 , 423 NBR (2d) 294 , Drapeau C.J.N.B. reiterates the importance of pleadings, writing: The importance of pleadings, which formally define the issues at play and the parties’ respective positions, cannot be overemphasized: Gay et al. v. Regional Health Authority 7 and Dr. Menon , 2014 NBCA 10 , [2014] N.B.J. No. 117 (QL), at para. 25 […]. Pleadings must contain some degree of specificity […]. [paras. 15-16] [ 40 ] It was Ms. Jones’ responsibility to properly plead and articulate her claim.
In doing so, she was required to provide the material facts which supported her cause of action. As the motion judge stated, one of the “first things you look at in assessing such a claim to determine whether or not there’s a duty of care, an actionable – or, an action potentially, is whether or not a duty has been recognized in other cases.” [ 41 ] Respondents’ counsel asserted that: “No other cause of action, including misfeasance, is sufficiently pled” (Transcript at p. 41, lines 23-24).
He observed: “and the claim, even with the generous reading of the claim, assuming all the facts are true, it does not disclose misfeasance in public office, according to the tests set out in Odhavji Estate .” [ 42 ] Misfeasance in public office was not specifically pleaded and even on a generous reading of the Statement of Claim, it cannot be said that the elements of the tort are asserted because there are no material facts set out that would enable one to conclude the defendants committed the tort. [ 43 ] I recognize that Ms.
Jones is a self-represented litigant; however, that fact, in and of itself, would not give the Court a licence to deviate from its required judicial functions. Simply put, in my view, the pleadings are deficient. The pleadings are more akin to an affidavit, and they do not advance the claim of misfeasance. I conclude the motion judge did not err when he struck out the Statement of Claim and dismissed the action. VI. Disposition [ 44 ] I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,500. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction
[1] Le présent appel porte sur la décision d’un juge qui, saisi d’une motion fondée sur la règle 23.01(1)
b) des Règles de procédure , a radié l’exposé de la demande, puis rejeté l’action en vertu de la règle 37.10a). L’appelante, qui se représente elle-même, affirme que le juge saisi de la motion a appliqué erronément le droit. [2] Le 13 mars 2017, Theresa Jones a intenté une action contre la procureure générale du Canada, en tant que représentante de la Gendarmerie royale du Canada (GRC), et contre le gendarme John Pitcher, membre de la GRC.
Je ne reproduirai pas ici les deux cent dix paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande; j’indiquerai toutefois que, en somme, M me Jones poursuit en dommages-intérêts la procureure générale du Canada et le gendarme Pitcher pour la négligence dont ce dernier aurait fait preuve en n’enquêtant pas de façon appropriée sur les plaintes qu’elle avait portées au criminel contre un tiers.
Elle avance en outre que la GRC a altéré la preuve, a entravé le cours de la justice et lui a menti relativement à l’enquête menée sur ses plaintes portées au criminel, conduite qui serait constitutive de méfait ( malfeasance ). [3] Dans le mémoire préparatoire à la motion qu’elle a déposé, M me Jones a résumé sa demande : [TRADUCTION] 5.
La demanderesse soutient que les défendeurs ont entravé criminellement le cours de la justice et manqué à certaines obligations, avec malveillance, au regard de leur obligation d’enquêter sur l’agression sexuelle, les menaces, le harcèlement et la fraude, dont une fraude à l’identité, qui leur avaient été signalés. 6. La demanderesse affirme que la conduite susmentionnée des défendeurs contrevient au Code criminel du Canada et à diverses lois fédérales, et introduit par conséquent des plaintes contre eux.
Il est avancé que les défendeurs, lorsque [la demanderesse] a tenté d’obtenir qu’il soit accusé réception de ses plaintes, se sont montrés négligents dans leur obligation d’en accuser réception, dans le cas de plaintes de la demanderesse concernant la conduite de ces membres soumises au Groupe de la responsabilité professionnelle de la GRC. 7.
La demanderesse soutient que des membres de rang supérieur de la GRC et des membres du Groupe de la responsabilité professionnelle de la GRC ont fait montre d’aveuglement volontaire devant les conflits d’intérêts des membres affectés aux enquêtes sur les plaintes du public, et que ces personnes savaient que les défendeurs avaient clos sans enquête le dossier d’incident n o 2014624753 (menaces proférées) de la GRC, renseignements qu’elle déclare avoir obtenus grâce à ses demandes d’accès à l’information. 8.
La demanderesse affirme que la conduite susmentionnée des défendeurs est négligente et que cette conduite doit être examinée au regard du droit et des lois. 9.
La demanderesse soutient que la GRC fait montre de négligence dans son obligation d’enquêter et de faire rapport sur les plaintes en matière de conduite [...] il est avancé en fait que la GRC défenderesse a refusé de permettre qu’un particulier, en l’occurrence la demanderesse, porte plainte à l’encontre de membres de rang supérieur de la GRC défenderesse et du Groupe défendeur, et que la GRC défenderesse a manqué à son obligation d’accuser réception des plaintes de la demanderesse, en violation de la
Loi sur la GRC . [par. 5 à 9] [4] Il est utile de rappeler qu’a été constituée en 2013, par promulgation de la Loi visant à accroître la responsabilité de la Gendarmerie royale du Canada , L .C. 2013, ch. 18 ( Loi ), la Commission civile d’examen et de traitement des plaintes relatives à la Gendarmerie royale du Canada. Cette loi permettait aux civils reprochant une inconduite à un membre employé par la GRC de déposer leurs plaintes auprès du commissaire et de demander une enquête sur cette inconduite (voir
partie VII de la
Loi sur la Gendarmerie royale du Canada , L.R.C. 1985, ch. R-10 (
Loi sur la GRC )). Sous le régime de la
Loi sur la GRC , le civil insatisfait de la suite donnée à une plainte portée au criminel peut renvoyer l’affaire, pour révision, à la Commission civile d’examen et de traitement des plaintes (Commission). M me Jones affirme s’être présentée au détachement de la GRC auquel elle s’était adressée pour l’enquête criminelle, avoir tenté de déposer une plainte, comme le prévoit la
Loi sur la GRC , et s’être heurtée à un refus. Devant notre Cour, M me Jones a indiqué qu’elle avait déposé depuis plusieurs plaintes auprès de la Commission relativement à l’enquête qu’elle a demandée, et qu’elle attend le résultat de l’enquête de la Commission. II. Contexte
A. Démarches de Mme Jones [5] Le 29 mai 2014, Theresa Jones a téléphoné à un détachement de la GRC et s’est entretenueavec le gendarme Pitcher, à qui elle a signalé une infraction criminelle. Elle portait plainte et déclarait qu’un individu l’avait incitée à seprêter à une rencontre sexuelle sous de faux prétextes, qu’il lui avait menti sur son identité et qu’elle s’estimait victime d’une agressionsexuelle. Le gendarme Pitcher lui a d’abord indiqué qu’il n’y avait pas eu crime, à son avis, et qu’il n’enquêterait pas.
Après une série de conversations du gendarme Pitcher avec Mme Jones, la GRC a demandé un avis juridique au Cabinet du procureur général du Nouveau-Brunswick, qui a fait connaître qu’il partageait l’opinion exprimée initialement par le gendarme. [6] Selon Mme Jones, il y avait des incohérences et des [TRADUCTION] « anomalies » dans letraitement de son dossier par la GRC et par le Cabinet du procureur général.
Elle soutient aussi que la GRC a commis des[TRADUCTION] « infractions » criminelles, ce qui l’a amenée à croire à une entrave au cours de la justice. [7] Insatisfaite du traitement de sa demande, notamment de ce qu’elle a appelé des retardsinadmissibles, des renseignements contradictoires obtenus de la GRC et les [TRADUCTION] « mensonges » du gendarme Pitcher, Mme Jones a adressé ses plaintes à la Commission. On l’a informée que la Commission n’enquêtait pas sur les infractions au Codecriminel imputées à des membres de la GRC.
Elle a ensuite engagé contre la GRC une poursuite civile lui reprochant d’avoir fait preuvede [TRADUCTION] « négligence flagrante » dans les obligations qui lui incombaient envers elle, suivant les art. 37 et 38 de la
Loi sur laGRC (annexe A), au soutien de sa thèse d’une obligation de diligence à son endroit. L’exposé de la demande présente fondamentalement une réclamation reposant sur la négligence. Mme Jones réclame des dommages-intérêts pour douleurs, souffrances, préjudice d’agrément,perte de santé émotionnelle, mentale et physique, et perte de revenus. B. Décision du juge saisi de la motion [8] Le 2 mars 2018, à la suite d’une motion des intimés, un juge a rendu une décision écrite et radié la plaidoirie de Mme Jones en vertu de la règle 23.01(1)b).
Il s’est penché sur l’existence d’une obligation de diligence envers leparticulier qui dépose une plainte de négligence contre un fonctionnaire public, sur ce qu’on appelle le critère des arrêts Cooper et Anns,issu de la décision prononcée par la Chambre des lords dans Anns c. Merton London Borough Council, [1978] A.C. 728, suivie par la Cour suprême dans Cooper c.
Hobart, 2001 CSC 79 , [2001] 3 R.C.S. 537, [2001] A.C.S. no 76 (QL). [9] Au dernier paragraphe de sa décision, le juge saisi de la motion a écrit : [TRADUCTION] À mon sens, et pour les motifs énoncés dans Wellington, il est manifeste que la demande de Mme Jones ne pourrait être accueillie sil’affaire était instruite, puisque les défendeurs n’avaient pas, envers elle, d’obligation de diligence de droit privé. En conséquence, lamotion est accueillie et l’exposé de la demande radié.
Un jugement rejetant l’action de la demanderesse est accordé aux défendeurs envertu de la règle 37.10a). [par. 14] [10] Notre Cour a indiqué ce qui suit dans Caissie c. Sénéchal Estate et al. (2001), 237 R.N.-B. (2e) 232, 2001 NBCA 35 : La règle 23.01(1)
b) des Règles de procédure autorise une motion en radiation d’une plaidoirie qui ne révèle aucune cause d’action nidéfense raisonnable. Lorsque l’auteur de la motion est le défendeur, la cour doit alors déterminer si, en tenant pour avérés les faitsallégués, il est « évident et manifeste » que l’exposé de la demande ne révèle aucune cause d’action raisonnable. Voir, à cet égard, Huntc. Carey Canada Inc., (CSC), [1990] 2 R.C.S. 959, au par. 33. [par. 10] [11] Au sujet du rejet d’une action en vertu de la règle 37.10a), on pourra se reporter à Norris c.
Lloyd’s of London (1998), (NB CA), 205 R.N.-B. (2e) 29, [1998] A.N.-B. no 351 (C.A.) (QL), ainsi qu’à Lawpost et al. c. New Brunswick (1999), (NB BR), 214 R.N.-B. (2e) 297, [1999] A.N.-B. no 216 (C.A.) (QL), et à Sewell c. Compagnie d’assurance ING du Canada, 2007 NBCA 42, [2007] A.N.-B. no 219 (QL).
III. Moyens d’appel [12] M me Jones avance trois moyens d’appel distincts présentés sous forme de questions : i. Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que la demande ne révélait aucune cause d’action en négligence? ii. Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur en n’examinant pas si la demande révélait une cause d’action pour malfaisance dans une charge publique? iii. Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur en n’accordant pas à l’appelante l’autorisation de modifier la demande? IV.
Norme de contrôle [13] La norme de contrôle, dans le cas d’une motion en radiation de plaidoirie, est celle de la décision correcte. Voir les arrêts Scott c. Canada (Attorney General) , 2017 BCCA 422 , [2017] B.C.J. No. 2446 (QL) , au par. 44 , Canada (A.G.) c. Walsh , 2016 NSCA 60 , [2016] N.S.J. No. 298 (QL), au par. 19 , et Quinn c. British Columbia , 2018 BCCA 320 , [2018] B.C.J. No. 2981 (QL) , aux par. 42 et 43 . Cette norme s’applique aux deux premiers moyens d’appel. Le troisième moyen touche l’exercice d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire par le juge.
La norme de contrôle de ce genre de décision est empreinte de déférence ( La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 161 , le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., par. 4). V. Analyse A. Modification de la plaidoirie [14] Je commence par le troisième moyen d’appel.
Il apparaît, à la lecture de la transcription, que l’avocat de la procureure générale du Canada a opposé une objection préliminaire, à l’ouverture de l’audience, à l’admission d’un affidavit supplémentaire que M me Jones avait déposé auprès de la Cour avant l’audience et qu’elle comptait employer au soutien de ses prétentions.
L’avocat de la procureure générale du Canada a fait valoir, par allusion à l’ arrêt Sewell , que [TRADUCTION] « tenir compte de preuve externe, lors de l’audition d’une motion en radiation pour absence de cause d’action raisonnable », aurait été une erreur de droit de la part du juge saisi de la motion. [15] Dans Sewell , une preuve par affidavit contradictoire avait été présentée à propos de faits cruciaux du point de vue de l’admissibilité à la garantie que stipulait la F.A.N.-B. n o 44 d’une police d’assurance automobile.
Le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., a conclu, pour résoudre la question, qu’elle « sort[ait] totalement du cadre de l’exercice décisionnel qu’exig[eaient] les motions présentées par ING en application des règles 23.01(1)
b) et 27.09 » (par. 17). La Cour a accueilli l’appel interjeté par M me Sewell de la décision de la juge saisie de la motion, qui avait radié son avis de poursuite, mais s’est reposée sur un motif très précis (par. 12). Plus exactement, le juge en chef Drapeau a fait observer qu’on radie un exposé de la demande, et non un avis de poursuite. En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion avait l’obligation, non pas de déterminer si les allégations de la demanderesse s’accordaient avec les faits, mais si les plaidoiries révélaient, ou non, une cause d’action raisonnable ( New Brunswick Community College et autres c.
Vihvelin , 2015 NBCA 17 , 435 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 75 , par. 28 et 29 ). [16] La règle 23.02b) prévoit que, dans les demandes présentées en application de la règle 23.01(1), aucune preuve n’est admise sans permission de la cour, « excepté » les affidavits nécessaires pour « identifier un document ou prouver sa passation ». [17] Le juge saisi de la motion a exercé son pouvoir discrétionnaire et refusé d’admettre la preuve par affidavit supplémentaire offerte par M me Jones. Il a motivé ainsi sa conclusion :
[TRADUCTION] Oui. L’affidavit que M me Jones, Theresa Jones, a déposé auprès de la Cour, le 6 novembre 2017, est inadmissible dans le contexte de l’audition de la présente motion. Il n’est ni offert… à mon sens, il n’est pas… il n’est ni nécessaire [ni] permis sous le régime de la règle 23.02. Il ne relève pas d’une exception prévue par la règle 23.02 : il ne s’accompagne pas de la transcription d’un interrogatoire pertinent et n’est pas non plus nécessaire pour identifier un document ou prouver sa passation.
L’affidavit renvoie, si je ne m’abuse, à une documentation à laquelle renvoie, d’une manière générale, l’exposé de la demande, et il est donc… il serait redondant de toute façon, même s’il était permis. [18] Cette décision est liée à la requête de M me Jones sollicitant la modification de ses plaidoiries. La transcription indique que le juge saisi de la motion a soulevé une question relativement au par. 4 de l’exposé de la demande, où M me Jones faisait valoir des prétentions contre le [TRADUCTION] « procureur général du Nouveau-Brunswick ». Il a constaté que l’intitulé de l’instance et la plaidoirie différaient.
M me Jones a prié le juge, en vain, de lui permettre d’apporter à l’exposé de la demande une modification qui aurait établi qu’elle poursuivait en fait la procureure générale du Canada. [19] Il est à noter que M me Jones n’a pas déposé de motion. Jamais elle n’a précisé quels paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande seraient modifiés, ni encore quelles demandes, le cas échéant, seraient ajoutées à la plaidoirie existante. La modification de plaidoiries est régie par la règle 27.10.
La Cour reconnaît que les tribunaux jouissent d’une vaste compétence en matière d’autorisation de modifications, mais uniquement s’il est jugé que les modifications sont nettement nécessaires à la détermination de la question non résolue qui oppose les parties ( Voye et Page c. Hartley , 2002 NBCA 14 , 247 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 128 , le juge d’appel Drapeau).
L’avocat des intimés s’est opposé à la requête en modification de plaidoirie présentée par M me Jones : [TRADUCTION] « […] et bien sûr, la cour saisie d’une motion en radiation est investie du pouvoir discrétionnaire de permettre au demandeur d’apporter des modifications convenables, mais en l’espèce les défendeurs affirment que la permission ne doit pas être accordée.
Il s’agit d’un… d’un exposé volumineux, de cinquante pages, qui est hautement détaillé, mais le problème est fondamental, c’est-à-dire que les faits allégués n’établissent pas de cause d’action en droit, et la Cour est donc priée de ne pas accorder la permission de le modifier » (cahier d’appel, p. 101 et 102). [20] Le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas expressément statué sur la requête de M me Jones en modification.
Hormis que M me Jones n’a pas formulé de demande modifiée, et n’a pas non plus déposé de motion sollicitant la permission de modifier sa demande, comme nous l’avons vu, je suis d’avis que le juge saisi de la motion n’y était pas obligé. Il s’agissait d’une décision discrétionnaire du juge, je le rappelle, et elle a dû paraître de peu d’importance au regard de la totalité des questions qu’il lui fallait trancher. De toute évidence, il a saisi l’essence des demandes que M me Jones présentait contre le gendarme Pitcher et contre la procureure générale du Canada.
Les cinquante pages de texte à simple interligne de l’exposé de la demande explicitaient la nature de ses plaintes. À mon avis, une modification n’aurait pas « rétabl[i] […] la plaidoirie », pour reprendre les termes que notre Cour a employés dans Sewell (par. 26). B. Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que la demande ne révélait aucune cause d’action en négligence? [21] La règle 23.01(1)
b) permet à un défendeur de demander, avant la mise au rôle de l’action, qu’une plaidoirie qui ne révèle aucune cause d’action raisonnable soit radiée. [22] M me Jones avance que l’exposé de la demande établit que les défendeurs avaient une obligation de diligence à son endroit, obligation à laquelle ils ont manqué. Les allégations sont liées, d’abord, à l’imputation à la GRC de négligence dans la tenue d’une enquête lorsque M me Jones a porté plainte contre un tiers au criminel. Il est ensuite avancé que la GRC a manqué à l’obligation de diligence qu’elle avait envers M me Jones, en tant que civile, suivant l’ art. 45 de la
Loi sur la GRC . L’
article 45 expose la procédure à suivre lorsque « [t]out particulier » dépose une plainte concernant la conduite adoptée par un agent de la GRC dans l’exercice de fonctions prévues par la
Loi sur la GRC . [23] Les intimés soutiennent que la GRC n’avait pas d’obligation de diligence de droit privé envers M me Jones. Ils affirment que la GRC n’a pas l’obligation d’enquêter sur toutes les infractions qui lui sont signalées, si elle juge les
plaintes sans fondement. Ils avancent aussi qu’instituer une obligation de diligence entre la police et le simple citoyen irait contre l’ordrepublic. [24] Pour trancher la question, le juge saisi de la motion s’est reporté à Hunt c. Carey Canada Inc., (CSC), [1990] 2 R.C.S. 959, [1990] A.C.S. no 93 (QL), ainsi qu’à Wellington c. Ontario, 2011 ONCA 274, [2011] O.J. No. 1615 (QL) (autorisation de pourvoi auprès de la Cour suprême refusée, [2011] C.S.C.R. no 258), arrêt où les indicationssuivantes ont été données au
chapitre de la radiation d’actes de procédure : i. les allégations de fait, telles qu’elles sont avancées, doivent être tenues pour prouvées; ii. l’auteur de la motion a le fardeau d’établir qu’il est évident et manifeste que le demandeur n’aurait pas gain decause si l’affaire était instruite; iii. la demande ne doit pas être radiée au seul motif de nouveauté; iv. il y a lieu de donner de l’acte de procédure une interprétation généreuse, favorable au demandeur, en faisantmontre de souplesse à l’égard des lacunes de rédaction. [25] Dans Wellington, la famille d’un jeune homme abattu par un policier poursuivait au civil l’Unitédes enquêtes spéciales (UES) pour négligence dans l’enquête menée sur l’intervention policière.
La Cour a jugé que la conduite del’enquête n’imposait aucune obligation de diligence de droit privé à l’endroit des demanderesses. Elle est arrivée à la conclusion que larelation des parties ne donnait pas lieu à une obligation de diligence prima facie, du fait que les demanderesses [TRADUCTION]« n’avaient aucun intérêt juridique dans l’enquête ou dans la poursuite visant [l’agent de la PPO]; l’enquête et la poursuite ressortissaientau droit public et à l’intérêt public » (par. 18). Sur ce point, voir également Hill c.
Commission des services policiers de la municipalitérégionale de Hamilton-Wentworth, 2007 CSC 41, [2007] 3 R.C.S. 129. [26] Dans Wellington, la Cour a conclu que [TRADUCTION] « les autorités publiques, chargées deprendre des décisions dans l’intérêt du public, doivent être libres de prendre ces décisions sans être astreintes à une obligation dediligence de droit privé envers des personnes du public.
Les compétences publiques discrétionnaires de cet ordre [TRADUCTION] ‘nesont ni axé[e]s ni articulé[e]s sur la protection des intérêts privés de particuliers’, et [TRADUCTION] ‘ne donnent pas naissance à uneobligation de droit privé qui suffirait à fonder une action en négligence’ » (Wellington, par. 44). Le juge saisi de la motion a fait sien ceraisonnement. [27] L’arrêt Wellington a été appliqué récemment dans Connelly c. Toronto (Police Services Board),2018 ONCA 368, [2018] O.J. No. 2028 (QL), par. 6 et 7; voir aussi Norris c. Gatien (2001), (ON CA),56 O.R. (3d) 441, [2001] O.J.
No. 4415 (C.A.) (QL), et Thompson c. Webber, 2010 BCCA 308, [2010] B.C.J. No. 1239. Dans Norris,l’enquête qu’un policier avait menée sur un autre policier avait donné lieu à une allégation de négligence. La Cour a conclu que rien dansle mandat conféré par la loi n’imposait une obligation de diligence envers les demandeurs. [28] Dans l’arrêt Succession Odhavji c.
Woodhouse, 2003 CSC 69, [2003] 2 R.C.S. 263, le jugeIacobucci a écrit : [N]ul ne dispose d’un droit privé de bénéficier d’une enquête criminelle qui soit approfondie, satisfaisante et crédible […] Les citoyenspeuvent souhaiter qu’une enquête soit approfondie, ou même qu’elle aboutisse à un certain résultat, mais ils ne sont pas en droit d’obtenirréparation si l’enquête ne s’avère pas approfondie ou s’ils n’obtiennent pas le résultat escompté. [par. 40] [29] En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion, après s’être reporté à Wellington, ainsi qu’à Hunt, s’estpenché sur le critère des arrêts Cooper et Anns.
Suivant ce critère, une obligation de diligence est établie s’il existe, entre l’auteurprétendu du tort et la personne ayant subi le dommage, un lien de proximité suffisant pour qu’il soit probable qu’un manque de diligencede l’auteur du tort cause un dommage à cette personne, et s’il n’intervient aucune considération pertinente qui réduit ou limite la portéede l’obligation imposée (Anns, p. 752); voir également Childs c. Desormeaux, 2006 CSC 18, [2006] 1 R.C.S. 643, Attis c.
Canada(Minister of Health) (2008), 2008 ONCA 660 , 93 O.R. (3d) 35, et les motifs du juge d’appel French au par. 81 de Cropvise Inc. et Wolf & Wolf Seeds Inc. c. Agence canadienne d’inspection des aliments, 2018 NBCA 28, [2018] A.N.-B. no 110 (QL). [30] Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu qu’il n’existait pas d’obligation de diligence de droit privé de proximité suffisante envers Mme Jones pour fonder une demande pour négligence en l’espèce. Je ne relève d’erreur, ni dans l’analyse
du juge saisi de la motion, ni dans la conclusion à laquelle il est arrivé sur ce moyen d’appel, que je suis d’avis de rejeter. C. Malfaisance
(1) Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur en n’examinant pas si la demande révélait une cause d’action pour malfaisance dans une charge publique? [31] Dans l’arrêt Quinn , la Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique a accueilli l’appel interjeté du refus d’une juge de radier un acte de procédure, mais a laissé la porte ouverte à la présentation d’une autre demande, qui invoquerait la malfaisance dans une charge publique.
Dans cette affaire, les parents d’enfants appréhendés par suite d’une enquête des services de protection de l’enfance avaient intenté une poursuite civile contre la Province de la Colombie-Britannique et réclamaient des dommages- intérêts pour ce qu’ils affirmaient avoir été une enquête négligente de la part d’un travailleur social. La juge d’appel Smith a écrit : [TRADUCTION] Cependant, une conduite de mauvaise foi du directeur et de ses délégués demeure susceptible d’examen.
L’article 101 de la CFCSA prévoit que les fonctionnaires chargés de la mise en œuvre du régime de protection de l’enfance ne sont dégagés de toute responsabilité personnelle que dans le cas [TRADUCTION] « d’un acte accompli ou d’une omission commise de bonne foi » (je souligne) dans l’exercice des pouvoirs que leur confère la loi.
Il m’apparaît que d’autres parties de l’acte de procédure des intimés évoquent le délit de malfaisance dans une charge publique, qui désigne une conduite qui « vise précisément à causer préjudice à une personne ou à une catégorie de personnes » ou la conduite du « fonctionnaire public qui agit en sachant qu’il n’est pas habilité à exécuter l’acte qu’on lui reproche et que cet acte causera vraisemblablement préjudice au demandeur » ( Succession Odhavji c. Woodhouse , 2003 CSC 69 , par. 22 ; J.P. c. British Columbia (Children and Family Development) , 2017 BCCA 308 , par. 319 à 331 ).
Il est permis de supposer que l’exonération de responsabilité que prévoit l’art. 101 de la CFCSA ne s’étendrait pas à ce genre d’agissements si les faits déterminants étaient établis[.] [par. 66] [32] Dans son exposé de la demande, M me Jones avance ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Les personnes négligentes ont notamment manqué aux obligations susmentionnées des façons suivantes : […] par défaut ou par négligence de se conformer à la législation, aux codes de déontologie, aux politiques, aux procédures et aux lignes directrices appropriés en matière de maintien du respect de la loi et d’administration de la justice. [al. 201b)] [33] M me Jones impute à la GRC des actes illicites dans de nombreux autres paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande (en particulier aux par. 114 à 119, 126, 135, 136, 146 et 188); cependant, elle ne plaide expressément la malfaisance nulle part dans la plaidoirie.
De fait, au par. 205 de l’exposé de la demande, elle écrit : [TRADUCTION] 205. La négligence et les torts dont font état les par. 198 à 202 ont causé et continuent de causer à la demanderesse des douleurs, des souffrances, un préjudice d’agrément, une perte de santé émotionnelle, mentale et physique, et une perte de gains actuelle et potentielle. [34] Au paragraphe 208 de l’exposé de la demande, M me Jones réclame de la
partie défenderesse une restitution à [TRADUCTION] « ces égards, de même que pour sa négligence volontaire et délibérée et pour son intention malveillante d’entraver le cours de la justice » (je souligne). [35] Une action en malfaisance dans une charge publique ( misfeasance in a public office ) est une poursuite civile engagée contre un fonctionnaire public, à qui est imputé un mauvais usage ou un usage abusif d’un pouvoir que lui confère la loi. Elle suppose la malveillance.
Un méfait ( malfeasance ), par contre, est constaté lorsqu’il est conclu que le fonctionnaire public a commis un acte illicite ayant compromis l’exécution de ses fonctions officielles (Garner, Bryan A., dir., Black’s Law Dictionary , 10 e éd., Thomson Reuters; Chamberlain, Erika. « What is the Role of Misfeasance in a Public Office in Modern Canadian Tort Law? », Revue du Barreau canadien , vol. 88, n o 3 (2010)).
[36] Le mémoire de l’appelante s’ouvre sur ces observations : [TRADUCTION] Il est avancé, dans l’exposé de la demande, que les actions des intimés sont constitutives de malfaisance dans une charge publique et denégligence, notamment sur le fondement d’allégations d’entrave criminelle au cours de la justice, de complot d’entrave au cours de lajustice, et de défaut illicite et intentionnel de se conformer, entre autres, aux obligations qu’imposent la
Loi sur la Gendarmerie royale duCanada, L.R.C. 1985, ch. R-10 (la « Loi »), et la
Loi sur la police. Le mot malfaisance (misfeasance) est employé expressément, ici, pour la première fois. La malfaisance n’est pas invoquée dans la plaidoirie.
D’ailleurs, lors de l’audition de la motion, Mme Jones a appelé méfait (malfeasance) le délit. [37] Le juge saisi de la motion s’est appuyé sur Succession Odhavji, arrêt où le juge Iacobucci, quipartageait l’opinion dissidente de la juge d’appel Feldman, est arrivé à la conclusion suivante : […] L’insouciance flagrante à l’égard d’une fonction officielle n’emporte pas responsabilité; seul le fonctionnaire public qui, en plus, faitsciemment preuve d’insouciance devant les intérêts de ceux qui seront touchés par l’inconduite en question verra sa responsabilitéretenue.
Cette exigence établit le lien requis entre les parties. [par. 29] On pourra se reporter aussi à Granite Power Corp. c. Ontario (2004), (ON CA), 72 O.R. (3d) 194,[2004] O.J. No. 3257 (QL); McMaster c. Canada, 2008 FC 1158, [2008] F.C.J. No. 1436 (QL); Miguna c. Toronto Police ServicesBoard, 2008 ONCA 799, [2008] O.J. No. 4784 (QL).
(2) Plaidoiries [38] Dans l’arrêt
Section locale 772 de l’Association unie des compagnons et apprentis de l’industriede la plomberie et de la tuyauterie des États-Unis et du Canada c. Association unie des compagnons et apprentis de l’industrie de laplomberie et de la tuyauterie des États-Unis et du Canada, Association unie des compagnons et apprentis de l’industrie de la plomberie et de la tuyauterie des États-Unis et du Canada,
section locale 325, Hughes et Wood, 2013 NBCA 33, [2013] A.N.-B. no 130 (QL), lejuge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., a écrit : Aux termes de la règle 27.06(1), le demandeur doit exposer de façon concise dans sa plaidoirie les faits déterminants sur lesquels reposela demande. « Il est permis de plaider des conséquences juridiques », comme l’invalidité, sur le plan juridique, de l’ordonnance deregroupement qui est invoquée dans l’exposé de la demande modifié, « pourvu que les faits déterminants motivant ces conséquencessoient également plaidés » : règle 27.06(2).
Plus généralement, et comme dans n’importe quelle instance, les questions qui doivent êtretranchées sont définies par les plaidoiries. [par. 42] [39] Dans cette cause, la Cour a constaté que des questions n’avaient pas été soulevées dans laplaidoirie : elles avaient été soulevées seulement dans le mémoire préparatoire, puis au cours de l’audition de la motion. Dans Le Gouvernement du Nunavut c.
Humphrey Schram, 2014 NBCA 53, 423 R.N.-B. (2e) 294, le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., a réaffirmél’importance des plaidoiries : On ne saurait trop souligner l’importance des plaidoiries, qui définissent de façon formelle les questions en litige et les positions respectives des parties : Gay et autres c. Régie régionale de la santé 7 et Dr Menon, 2014 NBCA 10, [2014] A.N.-B. no 117 (QL), aupar. 25[.] Les plaidoiries doivent être relativement précises[.] [par. 15 et 16]
[40] Il incombait à M me Jones de présenter une plaidoirie appropriée et de bien exposer ses prétentions. À cette fin, elle devait énoncer les faits déterminants étayant sa cause d’action.
Comme le juge saisi de la motion l’a indiqué, l’une des [TRADUCTION] « premières questions qui se posent, pour évaluer ce genre de demande, pour déterminer s’il y a obligation de diligence, matière à poursuite pour... ou possibilité d’une action, est celle de savoir si la jurisprudence reconnaît l’existence d’une obligation ». [41] L’avocat des intimés a fait valoir qu’[TRADUCTION] « [a]ucune autre cause d’action, dont la malfaisance, n’[était] suffisamment plaidée » (transcription, p. 41, lignes 23 et 24).
Il a ajouté : [TRADUCTION] « [E]t la demande, même s’il est donné une interprétation généreuse de l’exposé, si tous les faits sont tenus pour avérés, ne révèle pas de cause d’action pour malfaisance dans une charge publique, suivant les critères formulés dans Succession Odhavji ». [42] La malfaisance dans une charge publique n’était pas expressément plaidée et il ne peut être affirmé, même en donnant une interprétation généreuse de l’exposé de la demande, que les éléments du délit sont énoncés, parce qu’aucun fait déterminant n’est présenté qui permettrait de conclure que les défendeurs ont commis le délit. [43] Je n’ignore pas que M me Jones se représente elle-même; ce seul fait n’autorise toutefois pas la Cour à faillir aux fonctions judiciaires qui lui échoient.
En un mot, l’acte de procédure est lacunaire. La plaidoirie s’apparente davantage à un affidavit et n’assoit pas l’allégation de malfaisance. Je conclus que le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas commis d’erreur lorsqu’il a radié l’exposé de la demande et rejeté l’action. VI. Dispositif [44] Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et de fixer les dépens à 2 500 $. Appendix “A”
Annexe « A »
Responsibilities 37 It is the responsibility of every member (
a) to respect the rights of all persons; (
b) to maintain the integrity of the law, law enforcement and the administration of justice; (
c) to perform the member’s duties promptly, impartially and diligently, in accordance with the law and without abusing the member’s authority; (
d) to avoid any actual, apparent or potential conflict of interests; (
e) to ensure that any improper or unlawful conduct of any member is not concealed or permitted to continue; (
f) to be incorruptible, never accepting or seeking special privilege in the performance of the member’s duties or otherwise placing the member under any obligation that may prejudice the proper performance of the member’s duties; (
g) to act at all times in a courteous, respectful and honourable manner; and (
h) to maintain the honour of the Force and its principles and purposes. Code of Conduct 38 The Governor in Council may make regulations, to be known as the Code of Conduct, governing the conduct of members. Responsabilités 37 Il incombe à tout membre :
a) de respecter les droits de toutes personnes;
b) de maintenir l’intégrité du droit et de son application ainsi que de l’administration de la justice;
c) de remplir ses fonctions avec promptitude, impartialité et diligence, conformément au droit et sans abuser de son autorité;
d) d’éviter tout conflit d’intérêt réel, apparent ou possible;
e) de veiller à ce que l’inconduite des membres ne soit pas cachée ou ne se répète pas;
f) d’être incorruptible, de ne pas rechercher ni accepter des avantages particuliers dans l’exercice de ses fonctions et de ne jamais contracter une obligation qui puisse entraver l’exécution de ses fonctions;
g) de se conduire en tout temps d’une façon courtoise, respectueuse et honorable;
h) de maintenir l’honneur de la Gendarmerie, ses principes et ses objets. Code de déontologie 38 Le gouverneur en conseil peut prendre des règlements, appelés code de déontologie, pour régir la conduite des membres.