2016 NBCA 49, 2016 NBCA 49
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 10-15-CA JEAN-CLAUDE NOEL APPELLANT JEAN-CLAUDE NOEL APPELANT - and - - et - FRANCES ANNE BUTLER RESPONDENT FRANCES ANNE BUTLER INTIMÉE Noel v. Butler, 2016 NBCA 49 Noel c.
Butler, 2016 NBCA 49 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: January 21, 2015 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 21 janvier 2015 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2015 NBQB 21 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N.A. Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2015 NBBR 21 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: September 30, 2015 Appel entendu : le 30 septembre 2015 Judgment rendered: September 8, 2016 Jugement rendu : Le 8 septembre 2016 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green
Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing : For the appellant: Carley Parish and Katherine McBrearty For the respondent: Barry R. Morrison, Q.C. and Jamie Feenan Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Carley Parish et Katherine McBrearty Pour l’intimée : Barry R. Morrison, c.r., et Jamie Feenan THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. The cross appeal is allowed to the extent necessary to allow Ms. Butler to claim reasonable disbursements in this matter. LA COUR Déboute l’appelant.
L’appel reconventionnel est accueilli dans la mesure où il est nécessaire qu’il le soit afin de permettre à M me Butler de demander le remboursement de débours raisonnables en l’instance. The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The parties before the Court ended a fourteen-year common law relationship in 2012, with certain issues arising from their decision to separate still in dispute. Specifically, we are called upon to consider an application judge’s decision to deny the appellant, Mr. Noel, a share of the respondent, Ms. Butler’s, pension. II. Background [ 2 ] Ms.
Butler is a high school English teacher in Saint John, New Brunswick. She began her teaching career in 1985, long before entering into a relationship with Mr. Noel. In addition to her responsibilities as a classroom teacher, Ms. Butler has performed “a number of supervisory and administrative functions” within her school. At the time of the hearing, Ms. Butler’s annual income was approximately $80,000. The commuted value of her pension was calculated to be $909,286.51 as of July 1, 2012. [ 3 ] Prior to his relationship with Ms. Butler, Mr. Noel lived in Montreal and worked in the IT sector. He relocated
to New Brunswick in order to be with her, and continued to be employed within that same industry. From June 2004 to September 2009, Mr. Noel was employed by Blue Cross, at which time he lost his job and received a six-month severance package. The application judge noted Mr. Noel “informed the Court he was a trained IT specialist and advised that between 1998 and 2009, apart from brief periods of unemployment between jobs, he worked on a regular basis in the IT industry and made approximately the same wages as Ms. Butler”. Thereafter, Mr.
Noel has worked intermittently for a variety of employers in short-term positions. [ 4 ] The parties began dating in 1996 and cohabitating in 1998. In August of that year, they purchased a home together in Saint John. Ms. Butler paid the entire down payment of $19,000, and spent an additional $6,000 of her personal funds on renovations immediately upon the purchase of the home. Mr. Noel “made no financial contribution towards the acquisition”. The property was conveyed to Ms. Butler and Mr. Noel as joint tenants, and the two contracted jointly with a lending institution on the mortgage. [ 5 ] Ms. Butler and Mr.
Noel had no children, and they never married. Ms. Butler contended the parties separated in the summer of 2010, although they continued to live under the same roof for a further two years. Mr. Noel placed the date of separation in the summer of 2012. [ 6 ] The factual matrix before the application judge also included the reality of Ms. Butler’s health situation. She suffers from “a variety of long-standing ailments”. These include asthma and sinus infections. More significantly, since 2001 Ms.
Butler “has suffered from an autoimmune condition known as ‘Churg-Strauss Syndrome’ for which she has received chemotherapy and been treated with prednisone”. Her doctor, who testified, has encouraged her to retire or at least transfer from the classroom; as of the date of hearing, Ms. Butler’s love of teaching had apparently caused her to acknowledge, but reject, this advice. [ 7 ] Two issues relating to the breakdown of the relationship came before a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division. The first concerned the division of the proceeds from the sale of the home in which Ms. Butler and Mr.
Noel had been residing. The second was whether an order should issue pursuant to s. 44(1) of the Pension Benefits Act , S.N.B. 1987, c. P-5.1, to divide Ms. Butler’s pension. As the date of separation was the subject of disagreement, it was necessary for the application judge to rule upon that point as well. [ 8 ] The application judge, having conducted the appropriate legal analysis, concluded “the most just and equitable outcome” required an equal division of the proceeds of the sale of the home.
This disposition is not the subject of a cross- appeal, and need not be commented upon further. [ 9 ] On the subject of the division of Ms. Butler’s pension, the application judge reached the opposite conclusion: With respect to Ms. Butler’s pension, I am unable to identify either a tangible benefit to Ms. Butler or a deprivation on the part of Mr. Noel. Ms. Butler was a well-established teacher, who had been contributing towards her pension since 1985, when she and Mr. Noel commenced their relationship in 1998. There was no evidence that Mr. Noel contributed in any meaningful way to Ms.
Butler’s ability to work as a teacher and accumulate her pension benefits during the course of their relationship. Indeed the evidence suggests that it would have been easier for Ms. Butler if she had been on her own during this period, given the reality: (
i) Mr. Noel did not contribute in a meaningful way to the performance of household tasks; (ii) pre-2009 Mr. Noel’s best case evidence is that his contribution to the payment of household expenses was at times approximately equivalent to Ms. Butler’s; and (iii) post-2009 the household operated principally on income earned by Ms. Butler. [para. 32] III. Issues
[10] Mr. Noel appeals the application judge’s decision to deny a division of Ms. Butler’s pension. The issue fordetermination is whether the application judge committed reversible error in reaching that conclusion. [11] Ms. Butler cross appeals on a narrow issue pertaining to the awarding of costs, and asks that the decision of theapplication judge be varied to include the costs awarded plus disbursements. [12] For the reasons which follow, I would dismiss the appeal and allow the cross-appeal. IV.
Law and Analysis [13] The application judge grounded his decision in the directives of the Supreme Court set out in Kerr v. Baranow,2011 SCC 10, [2011] 1 S.C.R. 269. In that case, the Court discussed the doctrine of unjust enrichment and its applicability to family lawmatters: At the heart of the doctrine of unjust enrichment lies the notion of restoring a benefit which justice does not permit one to retain: Peel(Regional Municipality) v. Canada, (SCC), [1992] 3 S.C.R. 762, at p. 788. For recovery, something must have beengiven by the plaintiff and received and retained by the defendant without juristic reason.
A series of categories developed in whichretention of a conferred benefit was considered unjust. These included, for example: benefits conferred under mistakes of fact or law;under compulsion; out of necessity; as a result of ineffective transactions; or at the defendant’s request: see Peel, at p. 789; see, generally,G.H.L. Fridman, Restitution (2nd ed. 1992), c. 3-5, 7, 8 and 10; and Lord Goff of Chieveley and G. Jones, The Law of Restitution(7th ed. 2007), c. 4-11, 17 and 19-26. Canadian law, however, does not limit unjust enrichment claims to these categories.
It permits recovery whenever the plaintiff canestablish three elements: an enrichment of or benefit to the defendant, a corresponding deprivation of the plaintiff, and the absence of ajuristic reason for the enrichment: Pettkus; Peel, at p. 784. By retaining the existing categories, while recognizing other claims that fallwithin the principles underlying unjust enrichment, the law is able “to develop in a flexible way as required to meet changingperceptions of justice”: Peel, at p. 788.
The application of unjust enrichment principles to claims by domestic partners was resisted until the Court’s 1980 decision in Pettkus. Inapplying unjust enrichment principles to domestic claims, however, the Court has been clear that there is and should be no separateline of authority for “family” cases developed within the law of unjust enrichment. Rather, concern for clarity and doctrinal integritymandate that “the basic principles governing the rights and remedies for unjust enrichment remain the same for all cases” (Peter v.Beblow, (SCC), [1993] 1 S.C.R. 980, at p. 997).
Although the legal principles remain constant across subject areas, they must be applied in the particular factual and social context out ofwhich the claim arises. The Court in Peter was unanimously of the view that the courts “should exercise flexibility and common sensewhen applying equitable principles to family law issues with due sensitivity to the special circumstances that can arise in such cases” (p.997, per McLachlin J. (as she then was); see also p. 1023, per Cory J.).
Thus, while the underlying legal principles of the law of unjustenrichment are the same for all cases, the courts must apply those common principles in ways that respond to the particular context inwhich they are to operate. [paras. 31-34] For a recent application of Kerr v. Baranow in this Court, see Slade v. Duguay, 2015 NBCA 72, [2015] N.B.J.
No. 288 (QL). [14] Thus, the analysis to be conducted when adjudicating upon a claim of unjust enrichment involves considerationof three elements: (1) an enrichment of, or benefit to, the defendant; (2) a corresponding deprivation of the plaintiff; and (3) the absenceof a juristic reason for the enrichment. This is precisely what the application judge in the present case did.
He found the elements weresatisfied with respect to the proceeds of the sale of the home, but not with respect to the division of the pension. [15] The key findings of the application judge on this issue include the following (in addition to paragraph 32 asdiscussed above): Similarly, I am unable to identify any element of deprivation on the part of Mr. Noel. Put simply, I am unable to identify anythingtangible which Mr. Noel gave up or contributed to enable Mrs. Butler to work as a teacher and accumulate her pension benefits. If
anything the need to concern herself with Mr. Noel and the care of their household was an additional burden on Ms. Butler. As discussed in paragraph 18, it was clear from the evidence Mr. Noel, particularly post-2009, was quite comfortable living primarily off income earned by Ms. Butler and the efforts of her and other members of her family secure in the knowledge that at some point in time he would be receiving a large inheritance. In these circumstances, I do not believe Mr. Noel has made out a case under the first of second elements of the unjust enrichment analysis. […] With respect to Ms.
Butler’s pension, I have as previously discussed been unable to identify any element of enrichment or deprivation. Mr. Noel appears to believe he has a more or less automatic right to share in the pension value accumulated during the relationship. As previously noted, there was no evidence if any contribution by Mr. Noel which permitted Ms. Butler to pursue her career as a teacher and accumulate her pension benefits – to the contrary the evidence suggests Mr. Noel was more of a hindrance than a help. [paras. 33 and 39] [ 16 ] It was upon this basis the application judge denied Mr.
Noel’s request for a division of Ms. Butler’s pension, and I find no reversible error in his analysis or his conclusions. A clear evidentiary foundation exists to underpin the judge’s findings and ultimate disposition of the claim. [ 17 ] The application judge then went on to explore additional aspects of this case, explaining that even if he had somehow been satisfied the first and second elements of the unjust enrichment analysis had been met, Mr. Noel was still doomed to failure in his quest for a share of his former partner’s pension. On appeal, Mr.
Noel challenges certain aspects of the judge’s comments, but I reiterate the decision had already been made. Mr. Noel was not entitled to a division of Ms. Butler’s pension. [ 18 ] For greater clarity, I reproduce some additional points made by the application judge, as they serve to underscore the uniqueness of this particular fact situation. I do so in part to make clear that this case is not representative of most cases involving the breakdown of a relatively long term common law relationship: Mr.
Noel testified that post-2009 IT jobs were scarce in New Brunswick and he made no effort to find a job outside New Brunswick. During this time he appears to have settled into a comfortable existence at the Candlewood Lane home he shared with Ms. Butler. Apart from spending time on his computer and pursuing hobbies, such as paragliding and travelling with Ms. Butler, the Court was left with the impression Mr. Noel was not very busy post-2009. The evidence reflects that Ms.
Butler, notwithstanding her physical ailments and more regular and demanding work schedule, attended to the majority of the household chores such as cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, pet care, laundry, grounds maintenance and car repairs – Mr. Noel accepted on cross-examination that Ms. Butler looked after these tasks 80% - 90% of the time during the course of their relationship. Ms. Butler also helped fund support payments and private school tuition for Mr.
Noel’s daughter from a previous relationship […]. […] I might then have continued on to conclude, either as a matter of public policy or in the application of general equitable principles, it would be inappropriate to permit Ms. Butler, whose actions had fostered and facilitated this relationship of dependency, to walk away from a [fourteen] year relationship with her pension intact with Mr. Noel being in his late 50’s, underemployed/unemployed and having significantly less financial assets. This analysis would, in essence, penalize Ms. Butler for continuing in a relationship with Mr.
Noel in circumstances where he was contributing so very little. However, this analysis breaks down when Mr. Noel’s $1-$1.1 million inheritance is taken into consideration. Even if I was somehow mistaken in my “unjust enrichment” and “deprivation” analysis, equitable principles would not permit Mr. Noel to share in Ms. Butler’s pension. Ms. Butler worked many years to accumulate her pension credits, is not in the best of health and may not be able to continue in the work force for many more years.
She does not have substantial other assets and the evidence suggests she will need her pension to provide support in the years to come. The value of Mr. Noel’s inheritance is equivalent to or slightly in excess of the commuted value of Ms. Butler’s pension, and Mr. Noel is in good health and could seek employment in the IT industry elsewhere in Canada. Counsel for Mr. Noel suggested I could not take Mr.
Noel’s inheritance into consideration as it was received after the common law relationship ended, but was unable to refer me to any legal authority which supported the imposition of this limitation on my discretion. For clarity, I interpret Kerr v.
Baranow as a direction, at stage two of the juristic reason analysis, to take into account all the circumstances of the case under consideration to determine if, in the exercise of common sense and flexibility in the family law context, there is any reason to deny recovery. [paras. 14 and 41-44] [ 19 ] The Pension Benefits Act governs the division of pension credits which have been accumulated pursuant to a provincially regulated pension plan. Section 44(1) of the Act requires the division to be made “in accordance with the decree, order or judgment of the tribunal”.
The Act does not require the division to be in equal shares. The Court retains the discretion to determine the value, if any, of the non-contributing common law spouse’s share. [ 20 ] A common law relationship is not at law precisely the same as a marriage. For example, the Marital Property Act , R.S.N.B. 2012, c. 107, has no application. Had this couple been married, the outcome for Mr. Noel would unquestionably have been different, but they were not married. The rights and responsibilities of marriage are not duplicated for common law relationships.
That said, the law can and does provide protection for individuals in such relationships through the doctrine of unjust enrichment. The problem for Mr. Noel, in the estimation of the application judge and in mine as well, is that he is not able to satisfy the prescribed common law test. I would dismiss Mr. Noel’s appeal. V.
Costs and Disbursements [ 21 ] The application judge, having ordered an equal division of the proceeds of the sale of the home and dismissing the request for a division of the pension, had this to say on the subject of costs: With respect to the issue of costs, I would have been inclined to make a sizable award against Mr. Noel given the inconsistencies between his testimony at trial and discovery. However, as discussed at paragraph 21 above, some of the positions put forward by Ms. Butler also lengthened the proceedings and required testimony from the parties which was extremely personal in nature.
I believe the ultimate resolution of this matter is fair and reasonable in the circumstances. Consequently, I award costs in the amount of $1,500.00 to be paid by Mr. Noel to Ms. Butler forthwith. [para. 47] [ 22 ] In her Notice of Cross Appeal, Ms. Butler frames her issue as follows: The Respondent […] cross appeals and asks that the Decision […] be varied by awarding the Respondent costs as per the Decision plus disbursements.
The Respondent’s grounds for this cross appeal are that significant disbursements were incurred, particularly for the discovery transcript and the Respondent will incur significant expenses for the trial transcript on this appeal. [ 23 ] Rule 59.08(8) provides: 59.08(8) Unless ordered otherwise, a party who is entitled to his costs or a proportion of his costs is entitled on the same basis to his disbursements assessed in accordance with Tariff ‘D’. 59.08(8) Sauf ordonnance contraire, la
partie qui a droit à ses dépens ou à une
partie de ceux-ci a également droit, au même titre, aux débours calculés suivant le tarif « D ». Tariff ‘D’, titled “Tariff of Disbursements Allowable to a Party Entitled to Costs” details what may be claimed, in addition to “[a]ll other reasonable expenses necessarily incurred”. [ 24 ] Counsel for Ms. Butler argues, correctly, that disbursements were not mentioned by the application judge in his decision. He went on to suggest that disbursements are not recoverable unless so ordered. This is not consistent with the wording of the rule.
[ 25 ] This issue has recently been the subject of comment by our Court, but in obiter . I take the opportunity presented by this case to address the issue directly. [ 26 ] In Calvy v. Calvy , 2015 NBCA 53 , 440 N.B.R. (2d) 85 , Quigg J.A., writing for the Court states: However, costs on a solicitor-client basis stand to be assessed by the Registrar or her designate: Rule 59.10(2)(b)(ii). As an aside, it is an error to deprive a party of reasonable disbursements by including them in a cost award (see Flieger v. Adams , 2012 NBCA 39 , 387 N.B.R. (2d) 322, para 24 ). [para. 42] [ 27 ] Flieger v.
Adams , referenced above, has this to say on the topic of costs and disbursements: In the present case, the motion judge addressed the issue of costs, determined the respondent was the successful party and awarded costs of $1,500; that award included disbursements and HST. Her inclusion of disbursements in the award of costs is of doubtful correctness, but it is not challenged on appeal. In my opinion, the motion judge’s exercise of discretion is not impeachable.
This ground of appeal is without merit. [para. 24] [ 28 ] To be clear, it is an error to include disbursements in an award of costs, although I recognize this has been a common practice at the trial level in our province. The two are separate and distinct concepts, and should not be conflated. I agree with the observation made by Quigg J.A. in Calvy , “it is an error to deprive a party of reasonable disbursements by including them in a cost award”. See also Slade v.
Duguay , in which the Court stated there was “no principled basis for denying the appellant full reimbursement of her disbursements”. [ 29 ] In fairness to the application judge, he did not explicitly make an order for costs that included disbursements.
However, if, as contended, successful litigants are unable to recover their reasonable disbursements without the issue being clearly stated by the presiding judge, there is a problem which must be addressed. [ 30 ] The wording of Rule 59.08(8) is, in my opinion, sufficiently clear to settle the matter conclusively: a party who is entitled to costs or a proportion of their costs is entitled on the same basis to their disbursements. There is no requirement for the presiding judge to pronounce on the issue, recovery of disbursements flows from an award of costs.
The Rule does, however, clearly vest the judge with the discretion to limit recovery of disbursement in some fashion, as it states “[u]nless ordered otherwise”. What would constitute a reasonable exercise of that discretion is a subject for another day. V. Conclusion [ 31 ] I would dismiss Mr. Noel’s appeal. I would allow Ms. Butler’s cross appeal to the extent necessary to allow her to claim reasonable disbursements in this matter as per Rule 59.08(8). [ 32 ] On the appeal, I would award Ms. Butler costs in the amount of $2,500. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE GREEN
I. Introduction [1] Les parties qui paraissent devant notre Cour ont mis fin, en 2012, à une union de fait de quatorze ans. Des différends amenés par leur décision de se séparer n’étaient toujours pas résolus. Plus particulièrement, notre Cour est priée de se pencher sur le rejet d’une requête de l’appelant, M. Noel, sollicitant une part de la pension de l’intimée, M me Butler. II. Contexte [2] M me Butler enseigne l’anglais au secondaire, à Saint John (N.-B.). Sa carrière d’enseignante a débuté en 1985, longtemps avant qu’elle se soit engagée dans une union avec M. Noel.
En plus de s’acquitter de ses tâches d’enseignement, M me Butler exerce, à l’école, [TRADUCTION] « un certain nombre de fonctions de surveillance et d’administration ». À l’époque de l’audience, son revenu annuel était d’environ 80 000 $. Des calculs ont établi que la valeur de rachat de sa pension était de 909 286,51 $ au 1 er juillet 2012. [3] Avant son union avec M me Butler, M. Noel habitait Montréal et travaillait dans le secteur des technologies de l’information. Il s’est installé au Nouveau-Brunswick pour être auprès d’elle et il a continué à travailler dans ce domaine.
Entré à la Croix Bleue en juin 2004, M. Noel a perdu cet emploi en septembre 2009 et reçu une indemnité de départ de six mois. Le juge saisi de la requête a indiqué que M. Noel avait [TRADUCTION] « informé la Cour qu’il était un spécialiste diplômé des technologies de l’information et que, de 1998 à 2009, mis à part de brefs intervalles de chômage entre ses emplois, il avait travaillé régulièrement dans ce domaine et gagné à peu près le même salaire que M me Butler ». Par la suite, M.
Noel a tenu, par intermittence, des emplois de courte durée chez divers employeurs. [4] Les parties ont commencé à se voir en 1996 et à cohabiter en 1998. Cette année-là, en août, elles ont acheté ensemble une maison à Saint John. M me Butler a acquitté en entier le versement comptant de 19 000 $, en plus d’affecter, dès l’achat de leur demeure, 6 000 $ de son propre argent à des rénovations. M. Noel [TRADUCTION] « n’a pas apporté de contribution financière à l’acquisition ». Le bien a été transporté à M me Butler et à M.
Noel en tenance conjointe, et tous deux ont contracté conjointement un emprunt hypothécaire auprès d’un établissement de crédit. [5] M me Butler et M. Noel n’ont pas eu d’enfants, et ils ne se sont pas mariés. M me Butler a avancé que les parties s’étaient séparées à l’été 2010, bien qu’elles aient vécu encore deux ans sous le même toit. M. Noel situait la date de leur séparation à l’été 2012. [6] L’état de santé de M me Butler est une réalité dont le juge saisi de la requête devait tenir compte, également, parmi les faits de l’espèce.
M me Butler souffre de [TRADUCTION] « diverses affections de longue date », en particulier d’asthme et d’infections sinusales. Plus précisément, depuis 2001, elle [TRADUCTION] « présente un trouble auto-immun appelé “syndrome de Churg et Strauss” et s’est prêtée, pour le traitement de ce mal, à une chimiothérapie et à la prise de prednisone ». Son médecin, qui a témoigné, l’a incitée à prendre sa retraite ou, tout au moins, à demander une mutation.
À la date de l’audience, M me Butler avait apparemment écouté ce conseil sans le suivre, par amour de l’enseignement. [7] Un juge de la Division de la famille de la Cour du Banc de la Reine s’est trouvé saisi de deux questions par suite de la rupture de l’union. La première portait sur la répartition du produit de la vente de la demeure que M me Butler et M. Noel avaient habitée. La seconde était celle de savoir s’il fallait rendre une ordonnance, suivant le par. 44(1) de la
Loi sur les prestations de pension , L.N.-B. 1987, ch. P-5.1 , en vue de la répartition de la pension de M me Butler. Comme les parties ne s’entendaient pas sur la date de la séparation, le juge saisi de la requête avait à statuer sur ce point également. [8] Le juge saisi de la requête, après avoir mené l’analyse juridique appropriée, a conclu que [TRADUCTION] « l’issue la plus juste et la plus équitable » consistait à répartir en parts égales le produit de la vente de la maison. La décision rendue sur ce point n’est pas contestée par appel reconventionnel et nous ne nous y attarderons pas.
[9] Le juge est arrivé à la conclusion inverse au sujet de la répartition de la pension de Mme Butler : [TRADUCTION] Pour ce qui est de la pension de Mme Butler, je ne constate ni avantage tangible pour Mme Butler ni appauvrissement de M. Noel. Mme Butler était une enseignante établie qui, lorsque son union avec M. Noel a débuté, en 1998, cotisait à son fonds de pension depuis 1985. Rien dans la preuve n’indique que M. Noel ait concouru sensiblement, au cours de leur union, à la capacité de Mme Butlerd’effectuer son travail d’enseignante et d’accroître ses prestations de pension.
Au contraire, la preuve semble indiquer que les choses auraient été plus faciles pour Mme Butler si elle avait été seule pendant cette période, vu ces réalités :
i) M. Noel ne contribuait pas sensiblement aux tâches ménagères; ii) avant 2009, la contribution de M. Noel aux dépenses du ménage était, dans le meilleur des cas, suivant la preuve qu’il a présentée, à peu près équivalente, parfois, à celle de Mme Butler; iii) après 2009, leur ménage était principalement tributaire du revenu gagné par Mme Butler. [par. 32] III. Questions en litige [10] M. Noel appelle de la décision du juge saisi de la requête de ne pas répartir la pension de Mme Butler.
Laquestion est de savoir si cette décision du juge révèle une erreur qui justifierait son infirmation. [11] L’appel reconventionnel de Mme Butler porte sur un point précis, lié à l’octroi de dépens. Elle demande unemodification de la décision du juge saisi de la requête qui ajouterait des débours aux dépens accordés. [12] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et d’accueillir l’appel reconventionnel. IV. Droit et analyse [13] Le juge saisi de la requête a appuyé sa décision sur les directives données par la Cour suprême dans Kerr c.Baranow, 2011 CSC 10, [2011] 1 R.C.S. 269.
La Cour suprême traite, dans cet arrêt, de la doctrine de l’enrichissement injustifié et deson applicabilité aux affaires de droit de la famille : Au cœur de la doctrine de l’enrichissement injustifié se trouve la notion de la restitution d’un avantage que la justice ne permet pas à unepersonne de conserver : Peel (Municipalité régionale) c. Canada, (SCC), [1992] 3 R.C.S. 762, p. 788. Pour qu’il y aitrecouvrement, il faut que le demandeur ait donné une chose et que la chose donnée ait été reçue et retenue par le défendeur sans motifjuridique.
Une série de catégories, où la conservation de l’avantage conféré a été jugée inéquitable, a été élaborée. Ces catégoriesincluaient notamment les avantages conférés par suite d’une erreur de fait ou de droit, sous la contrainte, par nécessité, par suite d’une opération non consommée ou à la demande du défendeur : voir Peel, p. 789; voir, en général, G. H. L. Fridman, Restitution (2e éd. 1992), ch. 3-5, 7, 8 et 10; et Lord Goff of Chieveley et G. Jones, The Law of Restitution (7e éd. 2007), ch. 4-11, 17 et 19-26.
Toutefois, en droit canadien, les demandes fondées sur l’enrichissement injustifié ne se limitent pas à ces catégories. Le recouvrement estpermis quand le demandeur peut prouver trois éléments : un enrichissement ou un avantage pour le défendeur, l’appauvrissementcorrespondant du demandeur et l’absence de tout motif juridique à l’enrichissement : Pettkus; Peel, p. 784.
En conservant les catégoriesexistantes, tout en reconnaissant que les principes qui sous-tendent l’enrichissement injustifié s’appliquent à d’autres réclamations, ledroit peut « évoluer avec la souplesse qui s’impose pour tenir compte des perceptions changeantes de la justice » : Peel, p. 788. L’application des principes de l’enrichissement injustifié aux réclamations présentées par des conjoints de fait s’est heurtée à unecertaine résistance jusqu’à ce que la Cour rende sa décision dans Pettkus en 1980.
En appliquant ces principes aux réclamationsprésentées par des conjoints de fait, la Cour a pris soin de préciser cependant qu’il n’y a pas et qu’il n’y avait pas lieu d’élaborer une
jurisprudence distincte dans les affaires « familiales » dans le cadre des règles relatives à l’enrichissement injustifié. Au contraire, lesouci de clarté et d’uniformité de la doctrine dans ce domaine veut que « les principes fondamentaux régissant les droits et lesréparations demeurent les mêmes dans tous les cas » (Peter c. Beblow, (SCC), [1993] 1 R.C.S. 980, p. 997). Bien que les principes juridiques demeurent constants dans tous les domaines, il faut les appliquer en fonction du contexte factuel etsocial particulier dans lequel les réclamations sont présentées.
Dans Peter, la Cour a conclu à l’unanimité que les tribunaux « doiventfaire preuve de souplesse et de bon sens lorsqu’ils appliquent les principes d’equity à des questions relevant du droit de la famille, tout entenant bien compte des circonstances particulières de chaque cas » (p. 997, la juge McLachlin (maintenant Juge en chef); voir aussip. 1023, le juge Cory).
Ainsi, bien que les principes juridiques qui sous-tendent les règles relatives à l’enrichissement injustifié soient lesmêmes dans tous les cas, les tribunaux doivent appliquer ces principes communs en fonction du contexte particulier dans lequel ilsdoivent s’appliquer. [par. 31 à 34] On trouvera une application récente de Kerr c. Baranow par notre Cour dans Slade c.
Duguay, 2015 NBCA 72, [2015] A.N.-B. no 288(QL). [14] Ainsi, l’analyse à réaliser lorsque l’enrichissement injustifié est plaidé consiste à se demander si troiséléments sont établis : (1) un enrichissement, ou un avantage, pour le défendeur; (2) l’appauvrissement correspondant du demandeur;(3) l’absence de tout motif juridique à l’enrichissement. C’est précisément ce qu’a fait, en l’espèce, le juge saisi de la requête.
Il a concluque ces éléments étaient établis quant au produit de la vente de la maison, mais pas quant à la pension. [15] Les conclusions essentielles du juge saisi de la requête sur ce point (outre la conclusion précitée, donnée aupar. 32 de ses motifs) sont notamment celles-ci : [TRADUCTION]Je ne constate pas, non plus, qu’est établi l’élément d’appauvrissement en ce qui concerne M. Noel. En deux mots, je ne constate ni renonciation de M.
Noel à quoi que ce soit de tangible ni contribution tangible de sa part, qui ait permis à Mme Butler d’accomplir son travail d’enseignante et d’accroître ses prestations de pension. Pour Mme Butler, avoir à se soucier de M. Noel et des soins du ménageétait plutôt un poids supplémentaire. Comme je l’ai indiqué au par. 18, il est nettement ressorti de la preuve que M. Noel, en particulier après 2009, était parfaitement heureux de vivre surtout du revenu de Mme Butler, et de bénéficier de l’exécution de tâches par Mme Butler et sa famille, se sachant assuré de recevoir un jour un généreux héritage.
Dans les circonstances, je ne crois pas que M. Noelait établi le premier ou le second des éléments de l’analyse applicable en matière d’enrichissement injustifié. […] Pour ce qui concerne la pension de Mme Butler, je ne constate pas, comme je l’ai indiqué, que les éléments d’enrichissement oud’appauvrissement ont été établis. M. Noel semble croire qu’il a droit, plus ou moins automatiquement, à une part de la valeur acquisepar la pension au cours de l’union. Comme je l’ai fait observer, rien dans la preuve ne montre que M.
Noel a apporté une contribution ayant permis à Mme Butler de progresser dans sa carrière d’enseignante et d’accroître ses prestations de pension – au contraire, la preuve donne à penser que M. Noel gênait Mme Butler plus qu’il ne l’aidait. [par. 33 et 39] [16] Ce sont les motifs pour lesquels le juge saisi de la requête a refusé à M. Noel une répartition de la pension de Mme Butler, et je conclus que son analyse et ses conclusions ne trahissent aucune erreur justifiant d’infirmer sa décision.
La preuve étayenettement ses conclusions et la décision qu’il a rendue en définitive sur l’enrichissement injustifié. [17] Le juge s’est ensuite penché sur d’autres aspects de la cause. Il a expliqué que les démarches entreprises parM. Noel pour obtenir une part de la pension de son ancienne compagne seraient demeurées vouées à l’échec, même s’il était arrivé à leconvaincre que les premier et second éléments de l’enrichissement injustifié étaient établis. En appel, M. Noel attaque ces propos dujuge sur certains points, mais nous avons vu que la décision avait déjà été prise. M.
Noel n’avait pas droit à une répartition de la pension de Mme Butler. [18] Pour plus de clarté, je reproduis quelques autres remarques du juge saisi de la requête, qui tendent à soulignerl’unicité des faits de l’espèce. Je les reproduis notamment afin de montrer que la présente cause n’est pas représentative de la plupart de
celles dans lesquelles une union de fait relativement longue est rompue : [TRADUCTION] M. Noel a témoigné que, après 2009, les emplois du secteur des TI étaient peu nombreux au Nouveau-Brunswick, et qu’il n’avait pas tenté de trouver du travail à l’extérieur de la province. Il semble que M. Noel, à l’époque, se soit installé dans une existence confortable, au domicile de la ruelle Candlewood qu’il partageait avec M me Butler. La Cour a eu l’impression que M.
Noel n’avait pas été très occupé après 2009, si ce n’est qu’il passait du temps à l’ordinateur et s’adonnait à des loisirs, tels le parapente et des voyages avec M me Butler. Il se dégage de la preuve que M me Butler, malgré les maux qui l’affligeaient et un horaire de travail à la fois régulier et exigeant, voyait au gros des tâches domestiques, dont le ménage, les courses, la cuisine, le soin des animaux de compagnie, la lessive, l’entretien du terrain et l’envoi des véhicules en réparation. M.
Noel a admis, lors de son contre-interrogatoire, que M me Butler s’était occupée de ces tâches, au cours de leur union, dans une proportion de 80 % à 90 %. M me Butler a aidé également à l’acquittement de paiements alimentaires, et des frais de scolarité d’une école privée, pour la fille que M.
Noel avait eue d’une union antérieure[.] […] L’intérêt public ou l’application de principes généraux d’equity m’aurait peut-être ensuite amené à conclure qu’il ne convenait pas de permettre à M me Butler, dont les actions avaient nourri et favorisé ce rapport de dépendance, d’abandonner une union de [quatorze] ans avec une pension intacte, alors que M. Noel, fin cinquantaine, connaissait le sous-emploi, ou le chômage, et disposait d’avoirs financiers beaucoup moindres. Cette analyse aurait essentiellement pénalisé M me Butler pour être demeurée dans une union à laquelle M. Noel apportait une contribution infime.
L’analyse ne tient plus, toutefois, si l’on prend en compte l’héritage de 1 000 000 $ à 1 100 000 $ de M. Noel. Même si mon analyse, au
chapitre de l’« enrichissement injustifié » et de l’« appauvrissement », était erronée pour une raison ou pour une autre, les principes de l’equity ne permettraient pas que M. Noel ait part à la pension de M me Butler. M me Butler a travaillé pendant de nombreuses années pour accumuler ses droits à pension, n’a pas la meilleure des santés et pourrait ne pas être en mesure de travailler encore très longtemps. Elle ne dispose d’aucun autre avoir important et la preuve semble indiquer qu’elle aura besoin de sa pension, financièrement, dans les années à venir. La valeur de l’héritage de M.
Noel est équivalente ou légèrement supérieure à la valeur de rachat de la pension de M me Butler, et M. Noel est en bonne santé et pourrait chercher du travail, dans le secteur des TI, ailleurs au Canada. L’avocate de M. Noel a avancé que je ne pouvais pas prendre en compte l’héritage de son client, parce que reçu après la rupture de l’union de fait, mais elle n’a pu me renvoyer à aucun texte de droit justifiant d’imposer cette limite à mon pouvoir discrétionnaire. Je précise, par souci de clarté, que j’interprète Kerr c.
Baranow comme un arrêt donnant pour directive, à la deuxième étape de l’analyse relative au motif juridique, de prendre en considération toutes les circonstances de l’espèce pour déterminer si, vu le bon sens et la souplesse dont il convient de faire preuve dans le contexte du droit de la famille, il existe un motif de refuser le recouvrement. [par. 14, et 41 à 44] [19] La
Loi sur les prestations de pension régit la répartition des droits à pension accumulés dans le cadre d’un régime de pension de compétence provinciale. Le paragraphe 44(1) de la Loi exige que la répartition soit réalisée « conformément [à] l’ordonnance ou au jugement du tribunal ». La Loi n’exige pas une répartition en parts égales. La Cour conserve le pouvoir discrétionnaire de déterminer la valeur, le cas échéant, de la part du conjoint de fait non cotisant. [20] Une union de fait n’est pas, en droit, précisément la même chose qu’un mariage. Par exemple, la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux , L.R.N.-B. 2012, ch. 107, ne s’applique pas aux unions de fait. Si ce couple avait été marié, l’issue de l’instance aurait sans aucun doute été différente pour M. Noel; le couple n’était toutefois pas marié. Les droits et les responsabilités du mariage ne sont pas reproduits dans l’union de fait. Cela dit, le droit peut protéger les conjoints de fait, et les protège bel et bien, par le biais de la doctrine de l’enrichissement injustifié. Or j’estime, à l’instar du juge saisi de la requête, que le problème qu’a M.
Noel est qu’il ne peut montrer que le critère de common law applicable est rempli. Je suis d’avis de débouter M. Noel. V. Dépens et débours [21] Après avoir ordonné une répartition égale du produit de la vente de la maison et rejeté la demande de
répartition de la pension, le juge saisi de la requête a statué sur les dépens en ces termes : [TRADUCTION] J’aurais penché pour l’octroi de dépens considérables à M me Butler en raison des contradictions des témoignages apportés par M. Noel lors de l’interrogatoire préalable et du procès. Cependant, comme l’indique le par. 21 des présents motifs, certaines des affirmations de M me Butler ont aussi prolongé l’instance et exigé, de la part des parties, des témoignages de nature extrêmement personnelle. Je crois que la solution donnée en définitive à l’affaire est équitable et raisonnable dans les circonstances.
En conséquence, je condamne M. Noel à verser sans délai à M me Butler des dépens de 1 500 $. [par. 47] [22] Dans son avis d’appel reconventionnel, M me Butler formule ainsi la question qu’elle soulève : [TRADUCTION] L’intimée […] forme un appel reconventionnel et demande que la décision […] soit modifiée par l’ajout de débours aux dépens accordés.
Les moyens de l’appel reconventionnel de l’intimée sont qu’elle a fait des débours importants, en particulier pour la transcription de l’interrogatoire préalable, et qu’elle supportera des frais importants en appel pour la transcription des débats du procès. [23] Texte de la règle 59.08(8) : 59.08(8) Unless ordered otherwise, a party who is entitled to his costs or a proportion of his costs is entitled on the same basis to his disbursements assessed in accordance with Tariff ‘D’. 59.08(8) Sauf ordonnance contraire, la
partie qui a droit à ses dépens ou à une
partie de ceux-ci a également droit, au même titre, aux débours calculés suivant le tarif « D ». Le tarif « D », intitulé « Tarif des débours remboursables à la
partie qui a droit aux dépens », détaille quels frais sont remboursables à cette partie, outre « [t]ous les autres frais indispensables et raisonnables ». [24] L’avocat de M me Butler a fait valoir, à juste titre, qu’il n’est pas question de débours dans la décision du juge saisi de la requête. Il a avancé ensuite que leur remboursement ne peut être obtenu sans une ordonnance le prescrivant. Ce point de vue ne s’accorde pas avec le texte de la règle. [25] Notre Cour a récemment formulé sur ce point des observations qui, cependant, étaient des remarques incidentes.
Je saisis l’occasion offerte par la présente cause pour aborder la question directement. [26] Dans Calvy c. Calvy , 2015 NBCA 53 , 440 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 85 , la juge d’appel Quigg, au nom de la Cour, a écrit : Toutefois, les dépens établis sur la base des frais entre avocat et client doivent être calculés par le registraire ou la personne qu’il désigne : règle 59.10(2)b)(ii). Entre parenthèses, le fait de priver une
partie des débours raisonnables en les incluant dans les dépens constitue une erreur (voir l’arrêt Flieger c. Adams , 2012 NBCA 39 , 387 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 322, par. 24 ). [par. 42] [27] L’arrêt susmentionné, Flieger c. Adams , mentionnait ce qui suit au sujet des dépens et des débours : En l’instance, la juge saisie de la motion s’est penchée sur la question des dépens, a conclu que l’intimée était la
partie qui avait eu gain de cause et lui a accordé des dépens de 1 500 $, montant qui comprenait les débours et la TVH. Il est douteux que l’inclusion de débours parmi les dépens soit correcte, mais elle n’est pas contestée en appel. À mon avis, l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire de la juge saisie de la motion n’est pas passible d’infirmation. Ce moyen d’appel est sans fondement. [par. 24]
[28] En termes clairs, inclure les débours parmi les dépens constitue une erreur, encore que ce soit pratique courante, j’en conviens, dans les procès de notre province. Les dépens et les débours, concepts distincts, ne doivent pas être amalgamés. Je fais mienne cette observation de la juge d’appel Quigg, dans Calvy : « [L]e fait de priver une
partie des débours raisonnables en les incluant dans les dépens constitue une erreur ». On pourra se reporter également à Slade c. Duguay , arrêt où notre Cour a constaté qu’il n’existait « aucun fondement pour refuser à l’appelante le remboursement intégral de ses débours ». [29] Il est vrai que le juge saisi de la requête n’a pas rendu une ordonnance incluant expressément les débours parmi les dépens.
Si toutefois, tel qu’il est avancé, les parties gagnantes sont incapables d’obtenir le remboursement de leurs débours raisonnables sans que le juge présidant la séance se soit nettement exprimé sur ce point, il se pose un problème qui doit être résolu. [30] Le texte de la règle 59.08(8) est, à mon avis, suffisamment clair pour qu’il soit possible de régler la question de façon décisive : la
partie qui a droit à ses dépens ou à une
partie de ceux-ci a également droit, au même titre, à ses débours. Rien n’exige que le juge qui préside la séance statue sur ce point; le remboursement des débours s’ensuit de l’octroi de dépens. En revanche, la règle investit distinctement le juge du pouvoir discrétionnaire d’imposer quelque limite à l’obtention d’un remboursement, puisqu’elle s’ouvre par les mots « [s]auf ordonnance contraire ». Le moment n’est toutefois pas venu de déterminer en quoi consisterait l’exercice raisonnable de ce pouvoir discrétionnaire. V. Conclusion [31] Je suis d’avis de débouter M. Noel.
Je suis aussi d’avis d’accueillir l’appel reconventionnel de M me Butler dans la mesure où il est nécessaire qu’il le soit afin de lui permettre de demander le remboursement de débours raisonnables en l’instance, en application de la règle 59.08(8). [32] Je suis enfin d’avis d’accorder à M me Butler, en appel, des dépens de 2 500 $.