2019 NBCA 84, 2019 NBCA 84
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 141-18-CA JOHN PHILIP TRECARTIN APPELLANT JOHN PHILIP TRECARTIN APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Trecartin v. R., 2019 NBCA 84 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Trecartin c.
R., 2019 NBCA 84 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: November 29, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 29 novembre 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 221 Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBBR 221 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: June 12, 2019 Appel entendu : le 12 juin 2019 Judgment rendered: November 28, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 28 novembre 2019
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Hazen L. Brien For the respondent: William B. Richards Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appellant : Hazen L. Brien Pour l’intimée : William B. Richards THE COURT Leave to appeal is granted. The appeal is dismissed. It is not necessary to address the cross-appeal as the forfeiture order is maintained.
LA COUR L’autorisation d’appel est accordée. L’appel est rejeté. Il n’est pas nécessaire d’examiner l’appel reconventionnel, étant donné que l’ordonnance de confiscation est maintenue. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Several weeks after being sentenced for nine indictable offences under the Criminal Code , Mr. Trecartin was the subject of an Application for Forfeiture to Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of New Brunswick (“the Crown”) under s. 490.1(1) and alternatively, s. 490.1(2) of the Criminal Code . He appeals.
The central issue is whether an application judge erred in his
interpretation of s. 490.1(1) of the Criminal Code when he decided two motor vehicles were “offence-related property” and ordered their forfeiture under s. 490.1(2). II. Facts
[ 2 ] On April 10, 2017, Mr. Trecartin was sentenced to a global term of incarceration of 103 months, including sentences specific to the nine indictable offences. [ 3 ] At the sentencing hearing, the Crown requested a date be set for a hearing regarding a Forfeiture Application. The Crown sought the forfeiture of two motor vehicles registered in Mr.
Trecartin’s name: 1) a white 2003 Chevrolet Impala; and 2) a black 2013 Mazda 3. [ 4 ] The Crown’s position was the vehicles constituted “offence-related property” that should be forfeited pursuant to the provisions of s. 490(7) and s. 490.1(1), and alternatively, s. 490.1(2) of the Criminal Code . The Crown alleged the 2003 white Chevrolet Impala was used to follow the victim’s vehicle in which Mr. Trecartin was detaining and assaulting her, and was then used by Mr. Trecartin to leave the scene of the incident. The Crown alleged, among other things, the 2013 black Mazda 3 was also used by Mr.
Trecartin in order to commit the offences. [ 5 ] For the purposes of seeking forfeiture, the relevant offences for which Mr. Trecartin was convicted are: (
a) Section 264.1(1)(a) – uttering a threat to cause death or bodily harm; (
b) Section 267(a) – committing an assault with a weapon (a knife); (c) Section 139(2) – attempting to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice by attempting to dissuade E.C. from giving evidence; (d) Section 279(2)(a) – confining E.C. without lawful authority; (e) Section 145(5.1) – failing to comply with an undertaking. [ 6 ] On May 10 and August 10, 2018, the forfeiture hearing took place. The Crown entered into evidence the affidavit of Constable Christopher McCutcheon, of the Saint John Police Force. This affidavit provided evidence relating to the Forfeiture Application, along with a series of exhibits in support of the allegations. The affidavit can be summarized as follows: (
a) On December 20, 2016, Mr. Trecartin was convicted of having committed nine indictable offences, five of which were raised for the purpose of seeking the forfeiture of two vehicles, being the white 2003 Chevrolet Impala and the 2013 black Mazda 3, deemed offence-related property as part of the said offences; (
b) Both vehicles were registered in the name of John Philip Trecartin alone; (
c) On February 15, 2016, Mr. Trecartin did threaten the victim E.C. from the backseat of her vehicle and told her there was a white car following them driven by a friend who had instructions to shoot her if she did not follow his instructions; (
d) Video footage presented at trial showed the victim’s vehicle followed by a white vehicle; (
e) Evidence presented at trial showed Mr. Trecartin’s use of the Mazda 3 by tracking the movement of his cellphone on February 15 and 16, 2016; (
f) On February 16, 2016, Mr. Trecartin was arrested, having operated the Mazda 3. At the time of his arrest, Martin Marks was present, having the care and control of the white Chevrolet Impala. Both vehicles were seized and detained until the date of the forfeiture hearing; and (
g) Upon searching Mr. Trecartin’s Mazda 3, a key was found hidden behind a zippered seat cover that would unlock and operate
the vehicle driven by the victim E.C., on February 15, 2016. The key explained how Mr. Trecartin could access the victim’s vehicle without her knowledge. [ 7 ] At the outset of the hearing, counsel for Mr. Trecartin moved to have several sections of Constable McCutcheon’s affidavit struck from the record. The impugned sections, as they appear in the affidavit, are as follows: Para. 12(g): The closed-circuit television of the shopping centre shows the victim’s vehicle being followed by a white vehicle; i. The white vehicle on the CCTV video appears to be the white Impala owned by the Respondent.
Para. 14(e): From the Cell Tower Records, communications with Martin Marks and the gas receipts found in the Mazda, it is believed that the Respondent travelled in the Mazda separately from Mr. Marks in the Impala from Fredericton to Saint John where the offences were committed. Para. 14(h): The Extraction Report of the Respondent’s cellphone revealed text messages which indicated that he was aware the police were looking for him and he was attempting to evade police by travelling from Fredericton to Moncton. [ 8 ] After hearing from both parties, the application judge struck paras. 12(
g) and 14(e); however, the following evidence remained on the record as summarized from the McCutcheon affidavit: Para. 14(b): Telus records indicated, on February 15, 2016, Mr. Trecartin’s cell phone communicated with cell towers on the way from Fredericton to Saint John which meant he travelled from Fredericton to Saint John prior to the offences occurring. Para. 14(c): The evidence indicated while Mr. Trecartin travelled from Fredericton to Saint John, he communicated with the phone number associated with Mr. Marks.
Para. 14(d): Gas receipts found in the Mazda indicated fuel was purchased in Fredericton on two occasions on February 15, 2016. Para. 14(h): To be read as if the reference to evade the police was removed. [ 9 ] The Crown also introduced into evidence a partial transcript of the ruling on conviction of the trial judge wherein he said: Mr. Trecartin told her that if she did not do exactly as he said, the driver of a white car that was following her would shoot her. The evidence was that Mr. Trecartin is the owner of a white Impala like the one that can be seen in the Sobeys security video leaving Ms.
C’s workplace just seconds behind what can be seen as her car. III. Grounds of Appeal and Cross-Appeal [ 10 ] Mr. Trecartin submits the trial judge erred in law in deciding there was sufficient evidence to support a conclusion, beyond a reasonable doubt, that either of the motor vehicles constituted “offence-related property” used in any manner in the commission of an indictable offence, as set out in s. 490.1(2) of the Criminal Code . In his written submission, Mr.
Trecartin raises the following additional issues: 1) how this Court should interpret the meaning of “in any manner” as found in the definition of “offence- related property” in s. 2 of the Criminal Code ; and 2) whether an Application for Forfeiture of “offence-related property” requires evidence linking the object of the application to the actual perpetration of the indictable offence as part of the meaning of “in any manner” set out above.
[ 11 ] In its cross-appeal, the Crown submits the application judge erred by concluding the vehicles were subject to forfeiture under s. 490.1(2), not s. 490.1(1). IV. Pertinent Legislation [ 12 ] At the forfeiture hearing, the Crown’s application relied on s. 490.1(1) of the Criminal Code . Alternatively, the Crown relied on s. 490.1(2) . On June 21, 2018, a revised s. 490.1(1) came into force. The revision was meant to improve the clarity of the section. Regardless, the parties agreed the provision, as it read at the time of the offence, applied. Therefore, the application was argued on the basis of the former provision. The sections in play were:
Order of forfeiture of property on conviction 490.1
(1) Subject to sections 490.3 to 490.41, if a person is convicted of an indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act and, on application of the Attorney General, the court is satisfied, on a balance of probabilities, that any property is offence-related property and that the offence was committed in relation to that property, the court shall (
a) where the prosecution of the offence was commenced at the instance of the government of a province and conducted by or on behalf of that government, order that the property be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of that province and disposed of by the Attorney General or Solicitor General of that province in accordance with the law; and (
b) in any other case, order that the property be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of Canada and disposed of by the member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada that may be designated for the purpose of this paragraph in accordance with the law. Property related to other offences
(2) Subject to sections 490.3 to 490.41, if the evidence does not establish to the satisfaction of the court that the indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act of which a person has been convicted was committed in relation to property in respect of which an order of forfeiture would otherwise be made under subsection (1) but the court is satisfied, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the property is offence-related property, the court may make an order of forfeiture under subsection (1) in relation to that property. [Emphasis added.] Confiscation lors de la déclaration de culpabilité 490.1
(1) Sous réserve des articles 490.3 à 490.41 et sur demande du procureur général, le tribunal qui déclare une personne coupable d’un acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers et qui est convaincu, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, que des biens infractionnels sont liés à la perpétration de cet acte criminel ordonne que les biens infractionnels soient confisqués au profit :
a) soit de Sa Majesté du chef de la province où les procédures relatives à l’infraction ont été engagées, si elles l’ont été à la demande du gouvernement de cette province et ont été menées par ce dernier ou en son nom, pour que le procureur général ou le solliciteur général de la province en dispose en conformité avec la loi ;
b) soit de Sa Majesté du chef du Canada pour que le membre du Conseil privé de la Reine pour le Canada chargé par le gouverneur en conseil de l’application du présent alinéa en dispose en conformité avec la loi, dans tout autre cas. Biens liés à d’autres infractions
(2) Sous réserve des articles 490.3 à 490.41, le tribunal peut rendre l’ordonnance de confiscation prévue au paragraphe (1) à l’égard de biens dont il n’est pas convaincu qu’ils sont liés à l’acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers et pour lequel la personne a été condamnée, à la condition toutefois d’être convaincu, hors de tout doute raisonnable, qu’il s’agit de biens infractionnels. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [ 13 ] The new provision reads:
Order of forfeiture of property on conviction 490.1
(1) Subject to sections 490.3 to 490.41, if a person is convicted, or discharged under
section 730, of an indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act and, on application of the Attorney General, the court is satisfied, on a balance of probabilities, that offence-related property is related to the commission of the offence , the court shall (
a) if the prosecution of the offence was commenced at the instance of the government of a province and conducted by or on behalf of that government, order that the property be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of that province to be disposed of or otherwise dealt with in accordance with the law by the Attorney General or Solicitor General of that province; and (
b) in any other case, order that the property be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of Canada to be disposed of or otherwise dealt with in accordance with the law by the member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada that is designated by the Governor in Council for the purpose of this paragraph. Property related to other offences
(2) Subject to sections 490.3 to 490.41, if the evidence does not establish to the satisfaction of the court that property in respect of which an order of forfeiture would otherwise be made under subsection (1) is related to the commission of the indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act of which a person is convicted or discharged, but the court is satisfied, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the property is offence-related property, the court may make an order of forfeiture under subsection (1) in relation to that property. [Emphasis added.] Confiscation lors de la déclaration de culpabilité 490.1
(1) Sous réserve des articles 490.3 à 490.41 et sur demande du procureur général, le tribunal qui condamne une personne pour un acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers ou l’en absout en vertu de l’article 730 et qui est convaincu, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, que des biens infractionnels sont liés à la perpétration de cet acte criminel ordonne que les biens infractionnels soient confisqués au profit :
a) soit de Sa Majesté du chef de la province où les procédures relatives à l’infraction ont été engagées, si elles l’ont été à la demande du gouvernement de cette province et menées par ce dernier ou en son nom, pour que le procureur général ou le solliciteur général de la province en dispose conformément au droit applicable ;
b) soit de Sa Majesté du chef du Canada pour que le membre du Conseil privé de la Reine pour le Canada chargé par le gouverneur en conseil de l’application du présent alinéa en dispose conformément au droit applicable, dans tout autre cas. Biens liés à d’autres infractions
(2) Sous réserve des articles 490.3 à 490.41, le tribunal peut rendre une ordonnance de confiscation aux termes du paragraphe (1) à l’égard de biens dont il n’est pas convaincu qu’ils sont liés à la perpétration de l’acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers et pour lequel la personne a été condamnée ou absoute, s’il est convaincu, hors de tout doute raisonnable, qu’il s’agit de biens infractionnels. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [ 14 ]
Section 2 of the Criminal Code defines “offence-related property”:
offence-related property means any property, within or outside Canada, (
a) by means or in respect of which an indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act is committed, (
b) that is used in any manner in connection with the commission of such an offence, or (
c) that is intended to be used for committing such an offence[.] bien infractionnel Bien situé au Canada ou à l’extérieur du Canada qui sert ou donne lieu à la perpétration d’un acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers , ou qui est utilisé de quelque manière dans la perpétration d’un tel acte, ou encore qui est destiné à servir à une telle fin. V. Analysis [ 15 ] In order to appeal the forfeiture of the vehicles, Mr. Trecartin requires leave of this Court. The Crown agrees that leave to appeal should be granted as the appeal raises important questions of law, concerning ss. 490.1(1) and (2). As such, the Crown filed a consent order permitting it to cross-appeal which was executed by a judge of this Court.
According to Crown counsel, clarity has not been completely achieved by recent amendments to the sections in play. [ 16 ] A review of the Criminal Code indicates “offence-related property” may be forfeited under s. 490.1(2) , even though there is no conviction in respect of that property. Although the Crown maintains the trial judge’s
interpretation of the forfeiture provisions was incorrect in law, because he should have made his order under s. 490.1(1), it contends the correct result was achieved. [ 17 ] The synopsis of ss. 490.1 – 490.9 in Martin’s Annual Criminal Code, 2016 (Marie Henein, ed., Toronto: Canada Law Book, 2016), from the year the offences were committed, explains the purpose of the sections.
The legislators enacted a scheme to deal with property believed to be “offence-related property.” According to the synopsis: These provisions were enacted as part of a package of legislative measures to deal with criminal organizations but that connection has been removed in view of the broad definition of ‘offence-related property’ in s. 2 being any property […] by means of or in respect of which any indictable offence under the Code is committed, that is used in any manner in connection with the commission of any indictable offence or that is intended for use for the purpose of committing an indictable offence. [p. 1028] [ 18 ] It goes on to say: These sections envisage essentially two different procedures by which offence-related property will be forfeited to the Crown.
Under s. 490.1 forfeiture is triggered upon the conviction of the person for an indictable offence. If the court is satisfied on a balance of probabilities that the offence was committed in relation to the offence-related property, it is ordered forfeited. If the court is not so satisfied but is satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the property was nevertheless offence-related property, the property may also be forfeited. An order made under s. 490.1 or the failure to make the order may be appealed as if it were a sentence appeal. [p. 1029] [ 19 ] In this case, Mr.
Trecartin says the definition of “offence-related property” and the criteria required to support an order made under s. 490.1(1) emphasize the need for evidence that the subject property was used in the commission of the specific indictable offence for which the accused was convicted. Mr. Trecartin submits that, for personal property to be subject to a forfeiture order, the Crown must demonstrate, on a balance of probabilities, that the property was used as a tool in the commission of an indictable offence or, will be used as such in the future to commit indictable offences. A.
Section 490.1(1)
[ 20 ] According to Mr. Trecartin, the purpose of the forfeiture provisions as set out in s. 490.1(1) is not simply to seize property, either owned or in the possession of the accused, related to an indictable offence for which he or she has been convicted, but rather property that was clearly and demonstrably used to commit the offence or is derived from the offence. In the alternative, Mr.
Trecartin argues that, if an accused is found in possession of property that can only be used to commit an indictable offence or that is clearly derived from the commission of an offence, the very definition of “offence-related property” allows for its forfeiture only under s. 490.1(2) . Mr. Trecartin provided an example of break and enter tools found in the possession of an accused prior to committing the offence of break and enter, or large sums of money in the possession of an accused that he cannot justify as having been lawfully obtained.
An example would be money possessed by a third party to be utilized to purchase drugs, where the third party is arrested prior to the purchase. [ 21 ] Mr.
Trecartin submits that any item of property found in the possession of the accused at the time of his arrest cannot by that fact alone support its being “offence-related property.” He says there must be proof of either: (1) it having been used as a tool in the actual commission of the offence for which the accused has been convicted; or (2) that the possession itself can be proven as being for the sole purpose of using the property as a tool to commit an indictable offence. Therefore, Mr.
Trecartin contends the term “in any manner” must be interpreted in such a way as to require a link with the clear use of the targeted property to commit an indictable offence set out in the Criminal Code and for no other ordinary or legal purpose. Mr. Trecartin says the meaning would not include actions after the commission of the offence, such as the concealment of evidence related to the hiding of the key in the 2013 black Mazda 3. He says such concealment does not in and of itself constitute a criminal offence. [ 22 ] Mr.
Trecartin submits the judge’s conclusion regarding the white Chevrolet Impala is in error. He says that to conclude beyond a reasonable doubt that the white Impala was used in connection with the offences, the application judge relied on only one piece of evidence, a video taken from the victim’s workplace. It showed the victim’s vehicle, leaving the Sobeys parking lot while the victim was under the threat of Mr. Trecartin, being followed by a white car.
The judge found the following: By way of review, the prime issue at trial concerning the Impala was that it could be considered to have been the white vehicle that left the Sobeys parking lot following behind the complainant’s Honda vehicle. The evidence at trial showed, beyond a reasonable doubt, Mr. Trecartin had gained access to the complaint’s [sic] car and waited in the back thereof until she got into her car, at night, at the conclusion of her work shift at Sobeys. Once she was in the car Mr.
Trecartin assaulted her and made threats to harm her, including that she should be aware of the white vehicle that was following them and telling the complainant that she had better to [sic] do as he said or the person in the white car had been given direction to shoot her. For fuller context, as it relates to both vehicles identified in the Application, I reproduce portions of the trial reasons. […] Relying on s. 490.1(2) I have no doubt that the referenced white vehicle was the Impala and that it was used in connection with the offences for which Mr. Trecartin was convicted.
I find beyond a reasonable doubt that it was the car following her and Mr. Trecartin when she left work that night. [paras. 15-16] Mr. Trecartin argues there was no evidence at the forfeiture hearing indicating, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the white Impala was the same vehicle seen in the video. [ 23 ] Mr. Trecartin further contends the application judge erred in law in ruling there was evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that the Mazda 3 was used to assist Mr. Trecartin in committing the offences. He submits there is no evidence the Mazda 3 was used in committing the indictable offences.
He says the only fact put forth in support of the judge’s ruling was the discovery of a key for the victim’s Honda Civic which was used by Mr. Trecartin to access that car on the night of the offences. I disagree. The trial judge had more evidence before him than simply the discovery of the key in the Mazda 3. [ 24 ] The evidence relating to the use of the Mazda 3 in relation to the commission of the offences also included Telus records that confirmed Mr. Trecartin’s cell phone communicated with towers along the route from Fredericton to Saint John just prior to the offences. While travelling, Mr.
Trecartin was in communication with the cell phone number attributed to Mr. Marks and gas receipts were found in the Mazda for gas purchased in Fredericton prior to the offences. As discussed earlier, none of this evidence was struck. Although the trial judge utilized s. 490.1(2) in his determination when he should have used s. 490.1(1) , there was more than enough evidence, on a balance of probabilities, to determine the Mazda 3 was used by Mr. Trecartin to assist in committing the offences. [ 25 ] The Crown accepts Mr.
Trecartin’s contention that property related to an indictable offence (consistent with the definition of “offence-related property”) may be forfeited pursuant to s. 490.1(2) , even if the evidence does not establish, to the satisfaction of the court, that the indictable offence for which the person has been convicted was committed with the “offence-related property” in question but is satisfied, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the property is nevertheless “offence-related property.” The Crown agrees that the application judge’s
interpretation of the forfeiture provisions is incorrect in law; however, the Crown does take issue with
Mr. Trecartin’s overall
interpretation of the forfeiture provisions, because he suggests a more constrained application of forfeiture than intended by Parliament. The Crown says Mr. Trecartin has “blend[ed] the definition of ‘offence-related property’ with the forfeiture provisions of ss. 490.1(1) and (2) .” According to the Crown, Mr.
Trecartin also “argues that the relationship between the property in question and the offence relied upon to forfeit the property is analogous to the use of a ‘tool’ (i.e. the property) required to commit a specific offence.” This view narrows the intended scope of the forfeiture regime. [ 26 ] The Crown argues the analogy provided by Mr. Trecartin cannot withstand a careful reading of s. 490.1(1) because it attributes a qualitative character to the property not required by the either the
section or the definition of “offence-related property.” Mr. Trecartin’s view only allows for an
interpretation of s. 490.1(1) wherein the property must be “clearly and demonstrably used to commit […] that very same offence.” In other words, Mr. Trecartin contends that the property and the offence must be so closely connected that the property became a tool for the commission of the offence.
This approach would raise the Crown’s burden and does not shed light on the discussions related to the meaning of “in relation to that property.” [ 27 ] As mentioned above, the Crown cross-appealed on the basis the application judge erred in determining that the vehicles in question could not be subject to a s. 490.1(1) order of forfeiture. According to the Crown, this arose because the judge misunderstood R. v. Trac , 2013 ONCA 246 , [2013] O.J. No. 1788 (QL).
The Crown submits that, if we were to exclusively focus on the meaning of “in relation to”, it would lead to debates as to what degree of connection to the property is enough, which then would become the triggering event for forfeiture. This inserts a subjective element into the phrase in question. Trac concludes that the connection must be closer than “used in any manner” as set out in s. 2 of the Criminal Code . According to the Crown, parts (a), (
b) and (
c) of the s. 2 definition are a complete definition within which s. 490.1 is intended to operate. Subsection 490.1(1) focuses on whether the indictable offence for which there was conviction, was committed in a manner which indicates an actual connection, as opposed to a mere transitory connection, between the property in question and the offence. In Faulkner v.
R. , 2007 NBCA 47 , 315 N.B.R. (2d) 163, this Court did not define the term “in relation to.” However, Drapeau C.J.N.B. (as he then was) stated as follows: I read s. 490.1(1) as requiring proof that the property at issue qualifies as “offence-related property” and was an instrument in the commission of an indictable offence for which a conviction has been entered.
Once those facts are established on a balance of probabilities, the Attorney General's application must be allowed unless the impact of the forfeiture order would be disproportionate to the nature and gravity of the offence, the circumstances surrounding the commission of the offence and the criminal record, if any, of the person convicted of the offence (see s. 490.41(3)).
Additional factors may influence the outcome if the property at issue is a dwelling- house (see s. 490.41(4)). [para. 13] [ 28 ] In my view, the practical application of the definition is to determine whether certain property was used to undertake the underlying crime. This recognizes the complete definition, both parts (
a) and (
b) of “offence-related property.” Additionally, this does not require proof the property was a necessary component of the criminal activity, only that it was employed in a deliberate manner to advance the commission of the offence. The Crown submits that s. 490.1(1) is not intended by Parliament to be tempered by the court’s
interpretation of the phrase “in relation to” but rather through a consideration of any disproportionate result which may result in its application, as stated in Faulkner . I agree. B.
Section 490.1(2) [ 29 ] If the court is not satisfied the indictable offence for which the person was convicted was committed with the property in question, but the court is satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that it is “offence-related property,” the court can order the property be forfeited. [ 30 ] The subsection requires “an indictable offence” as a precondition to forfeiture, as per the definition of “offence- related property.” It does not require evidence of the specific indictable offence for which a person was convicted, as is required in s. 490.1(1) .
This is clear from the use of the term “the offence” in ss. 490.1(1) and (2) . [ 31 ] Therefore, s. 490.1(2) does not require a conviction before it comes into play.
It merely requires that the “property” is proven to be “offence-related property.” At para. 14 of Faulkner , Drapeau C.J.N.B. states “[c]learly, a conviction for an indictable offence under the Criminal Code is not a sine qua non condition to a finding that property is ‘offence-related property’.” [ 32 ] In the case before us, the application judge did find beyond a reasonable doubt that the vehicles were “offence- related property.” That finding necessarily requires a connection to an indictable offence. The application judge also determined that the
Crown failed to prove, on a balance of probabilities, that the vehicles were connected to the proven indictable offences as required under s. 490.1(1). This is the basis for the Crown’s cross-appeal. C. Conclusion [ 33 ] Each subsection is directed at the same outcome but in relation to two different categories of offences. The judge erred by not applying 490.1(1) correctly. Subsection 490.1(1) speaks of the “indictable offence” of which a person “is convicted.” Subsection 490.1(2) applies to offence related property where there has been no conviction in relation to the property in question.
Still, if it is shown beyond a reasonable doubt the property is offence-related in regard to any other indictable offence, forfeiture may still be ordered, consistent with the statement in Faulkner that a conviction is not a condition of something being “offence-related property.” [ 34 ] Simply put, “offence-related property” is any property that is used in any manner in connection with the commission of any indictable offence.
The problem is with the poorly worded s. 490.1(1) , which adds the requirement the offence be “committed in relation to” the “offence-related property.” In Faulkner , this Court resolved the interpretative conundrum that existed at that time by accepting the view that forfeiture could be ordered under s. 490.1(1) if the property met the definition of “offence-related property” and was an instrument in the commission of the offence. [ 35 ] In the case of “offence-related property” for s. 490.1(1) to apply making it mandatory for the judge to order forfeiture, the link has to be made, but in the case of s. 490.1(2) that link need not exist because the offence-related property may relate to an offence other than the one for which the accused has been convicted. [ 36 ] In the case before us, evidence on the record indicated Mr.
Trecartin used both vehicles to commit the offences. As a result, both vehicles met the definition of “offence-related property” (they were used in connection with the commission of the offences). VI. Disposition [ 37 ] Although the judge was incorrect in his reasoning, he arrived at the right result. I would grant leave to appeal but would dismiss the appeal. It is not necessary to address the cross-appeal. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Plusieurs semaines après la condamnation de M.
Trecartin pour neuf actes criminels prévus au Code criminel , une demande de confiscation au profit de Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick (« la Couronne ») a été présentée sur le fondement du par. 490.1(1) du Code criminel et, subsidiairement, de son par. 490.1(2). M. Trecartin interjette appel de la confiscation.
La question essentielle est de savoir si la décision du juge saisi de la demande, qui a conclu que deux véhicules à moteur étaient des « biens infractionnels » et en a ordonné la confiscation en vertu du par. 490.1(2), résulte d’une erreur commise dans l’interprétation du par. 490.1(1) du Code criminel . II. Faits
[2] Le 10 avril 2017, M. Trecartin a été condamné à une peine globale de 103 mois d’emprisonnement composée des peines prononcées pour chacun des neuf actes criminels. [3] Lors de l’audience de détermination de la peine, le ministère public a prié la Cour de fixer une date pour l’audition d’une demande de confiscation. Il souhaitait la confiscation de deux véhicules à moteur immatriculés au nom de M.
Trecartin : 1) une Chevrolet Impala 2003 blanche; 2) une Mazda 3 2013 noire. [4] Le ministère public estimait que ces véhicules constituaient des « biens infractionnels » et devaient être confisqués sous le régime des par. 490(7) et 490.1(1), ou subsidiairement du par. 490.1(2) , du Code criminel . Il soutenait que la Chevrolet Impala 2003 blanche avait d’abord été utilisée pour suivre le véhicule d’E.C., qui s’y trouvait détenue et victime d’une agression de la part de M. Trecartin, puis utilisée par M. Trecartin pour quitter les lieux. De même, le ministère public affirmait, entre autres choses, que M.
Trecartin avait utilisé la Mazda 3 2013 noire pour perpétrer les actes criminels. [5] Pour ce qui concerne la demande de confiscation, les crimes suivants sont pertinents parmi ceux dont M. Trecartin a été déclaré coupable : (
a) menace de causer la mort ou des lésions corporelles (al. 264.1(1)a)); (
b) agression armée (couteau) (al. 267a)); (
c) tentative d’entraver, de détourner ou de contrecarrer le cours de la justice, opérée en tentant de dissuader E.C. de témoigner (par. 139(2)); (
d) séquestration d’E.C. sans autorisation légitime (al. 279(2)a)); (
e) omission de se conformer à une promesse (par. 145(5.1)). [6] La demande de confiscation a été entendue les 10 mai et 10 août 2018. Le ministère public a introduit en preuve l’affidavit de l’agent Christopher McCutcheon, du Service de police de Saint John. Cet affidavit apportait des éléments de preuve en ce qui concerne la demande de confiscation, et une série de pièces au soutien des allégations. Il est permis d’en résumer le contenu ainsi : (
a) Le 20 décembre 2016, M. Trecartin a été déclaré coupable de neuf actes criminels, dont cinq sont invoqués pour demander la confiscation de deux véhicules, en l’occurrence la Chevrolet Impala 2003 blanche et la Mazda 3 2013 noire, tenus pour des biens infractionnels dans le contexte de ces actes criminels. (
b) Les deux véhicules étaient immatriculés au seul nom de John Philip Trecartin. (
c) Le 15 février 2016, M. Trecartin a menacé la victime, E.C., depuis le siège arrière du véhicule qu’elle conduisait, et l’a prévenue qu’ils étaient suivis par une voiture blanche conduite par un ami qui, si elle ne suivait pas les instructions qu’il lui donnerait, était chargé de l’abattre. (
d) Des séquences vidéo présentées lors du procès montraient le véhicule de la victime suivi par un véhicule blanc. (
e) La preuve présentée au procès montrait l’utilisation que M. Trecartin avait faite de la Mazda 3, au moyen d’un pistage des mouvements de son téléphone cellulaire des 15 et 16 février 2016. (
f) Le 16 février 2016, M. Trecartin a été arrêté après avoir conduit la Mazda 3. Au moment de l’arrestation, Martin Marks était présent; il avait la garde et le contrôle de la Chevrolet Impala blanche. Les deux véhicules ont été saisis et détenus jusqu’à la date de l’audience portant sur la confiscation.
(
g) La fouille de la Mazda 3 de M. Trecartin a mené à la découverte d’une clé, glissée sous une housse de siège à fermeture éclair, actionnant la serrure et le démarreur du véhicule que la victime, E.C., conduisait le 15 février 2016. Cette clé expliquait comment M. Trecartin avait pu accéder au véhicule de la victime à son insu. [7] Au début de l’audience, l’avocat de M. Trecartin a demandé la radiation de plusieurs clauses de l’affidavit de l’agent McCutcheon.
Les passages contestés, tels qu’ils apparaissent dans l’affidavit, sont les suivants : [TRADUCTION] Paragraphe 12g) : Les images du système de télévision en circuit fermé du centre commercial montrent le véhicule de la victime, suivi par un véhicule blanc; i. Le véhicule blanc de la vidéo de la TVCF paraît être l’Impala blanche appartenant à l’intimé. Paragraphe 14e) : Les registres des stations cellulaires, les communications avec Martin Marks et les reçus d’essence trouvés dans la Mazda donnent à penser que l’intimé, au volant de la Mazda, et M.
Marks, au volant de l’Impala, ont fait séparément le trajet de Fredericton à Saint John, ville où les crimes ont été commis.
Paragraphe 14h) : Le rapport d’extraction de données du téléphone cellulaire de l’intimé révélait des messages texte indiquant qu’il savait que la police était à sa recherche et qu’il avait tenté de lui échapper en se rendant à Moncton depuis Fredericton. [8] Après avoir entendu l’une et l’autre parties, le juge saisi de la demande a radié les par. 12g) et 14e); toutefois, la preuve suivante, résumée par l’affidavit de l’agent McCutcheon, est demeurée au dossier : [TRADUCTION] Paragraphe 14b) : Les registres de Telus indiquaient que, le 15 février 2016, le téléphone cellulaire de M.
Trecartin avait communiqué avec des stations cellulaires se trouvant sur la route de Fredericton à Saint John, ce qui signifiait que M. Trecartin avait fait le trajet de Fredericton à Saint John avant la perpétration des crimes. Paragraphe 14c) : La preuve indiquait que, sur la route de Fredericton à Saint John, M. Trecartin avait communiqué avec un téléphone dont le numéro est associé à M. Marks. Paragraphe 14d) : Les reçus d’essence trouvés dans la Mazda indiquaient que deux fois, le 15 février 2016, du carburant avait été acheté à Fredericton.
Paragraphe 14h) : Lire comme si la mention d’une tentative d’échapper à la police était supprimée. [9] Le ministère public a aussi présenté en preuve une transcription partielle des motifs de la déclaration de culpabilité; le juge du procès y formule les observations suivantes : [TRADUCTION] M. Trecartin a prévenu M me C. que, si elle ne faisait pas exactement ce qu’il lui dirait de faire, le conducteur d’une voiture blanche qui la suivait l’abattrait. Il est ressorti de la preuve que M.
Trecartin est le propriétaire d’une Impala blanche semblable à celle qui, dans la vidéo du système de sécurité de Sobeys, s’éloigne du lieu de travail de M me C. à peine quelques secondes après une voiture qui se révèle la sienne. III. Moyens d’appel et d’appel reconventionnel
[10] M. Trecartin soutient que le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit lorsqu’il a décidé qu’une preuve suffisante fondait à conclure, hors de tout doute raisonnable, que les véhicules à moteur constituaient, l’un ou l’autre, des « biens infractionnels » utilisés de quelque manière dans la perpétration d’un acte criminel, suivant le par. 490.1(2) du Code criminel .
Son mémoire soulève par ailleurs les questions suivantes : 1) Comment notre Cour doit-elle interpréter les mots « de quelque manière », qui apparaissent dans la définition de « bien infractionnel » à l’ art. 2 du Code criminel ? 2) Une demande de confiscation d’un « bien infractionnel » nécessite-t-elle une preuve reliant l’objet de la demande à la perpétration proprement dite de l’acte criminel, en tant qu’élément du sens des mots « de quelque manière » énoncés ci-dessus. [11] Par appel reconventionnel, le ministère public avance que le juge saisi de la demande a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que les véhicules étaient confiscables au
titre du par. 490.1(2), et non du par. 490.1(1). IV. Dispositions législatives pertinentes [12] La demande de confiscation que le ministère public a présentée au juge lors de l’audience s’appuyait sur le par. 490.1(1) du Code criminel . Elle s’appuyait subsidiairement sur le par. 490.1(2) . Une version révisée du par. 490.1(1) est entrée en vigueur le 21 juin 2018. Cette révision visait à apporter plus de clarté au paragraphe. Quoi qu’il en soit, les parties ont convenu que la disposition, sous la forme qu’elle prenait à l’époque des crimes, s’appliquait. Par conséquent, la demande a été débattue d’après la disposition antérieure.
Les paragraphes applicables étaient ceux-ci :
Order of forfeiture of property on conviction 490.1
(1) Subject to sections 490.3 to 490.41, if a person is convicted of an indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act and, on application of the Attorney General, the court is satisfied, on a balance of probabilities, that any property is offence-related property and that the offence was committed in relation to that property, the court shall (
a) where the prosecution of the offence was commenced at the instance of the government of a province and conducted by or on behalf of that government, order that the property be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of that province and disposed of by the Attorney General or Solicitor General of that province in accordance with the law; and (
b) in any other case, order that the property be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of Canada and disposed of by the member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada that may be designated for the purpose of this paragraph in accordance with the law. Property related to other offences
(2) Subject to sections 490.3 to 490.41, if the evidence does not establish to the satisfaction of the court that the indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act of which a person has been convicted was committed in relation to property in respect of which an order of forfeiture would otherwise be made under subsection (1) but the court is satisfied, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the property is offence-related property, the court may make an order of forfeiture under subsection (1) in relation to that property. [Emphasis added.] Confiscation lors de la déclaration de culpabilité 490.1
(1) Sous réserve des articles 490.3 à 490.41 et sur demande du procureur général, le tribunal qui déclare une personne coupable d’un acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers et qui est convaincu, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, que des biens infractionnels sont liés à la perpétration de cet acte criminel ordonne que les biens infractionnels soient confisqués au profit :
a) soit de Sa Majesté du chef de la province où les procédures relatives à l’infraction ont été engagées, si elles l’ont été à la demande du gouvernement de cette province et ont été menées par ce dernier ou en son nom, pour que le procureur général ou le solliciteur général de la province en dispose en conformité avec la loi;
b) soit de Sa Majesté du chef du Canada pour que le membre du Conseil privé de la Reine pour le Canada chargé par le gouverneur en conseil de l’application du présent alinéa en dispose en conformité avec la loi, dans tout autre cas. Biens liés à d’autres infractions
(2) Sous réserve des articles 490.3 à 490.41, le tribunal peut rendre l’ordonnance de confiscation prévue au paragraphe (1) à l’égard de biens dont il n’est pas convaincu qu’ils sont liés à l’acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers et pour lequel la personne a été condamnée, à la condition toutefois d’être convaincu, hors de tout doute raisonnable, qu’il s’agit de biens infractionnels. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [13] La nouvelle disposition est formulée ainsi :
Order of forfeiture of property on conviction 490.1
(1) Subject to sections 490.3 to 490.41, if a person is convicted, or discharged under
section 730, of an indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act and, on application of the Attorney General, the court is satisfied, on a balance of probabilities, that offence-related property is related to the commission of the offence , the court shall (
a) if the prosecution of the offence was commenced at the instance of the government of a province and conducted by or on behalf of that government, order that the property be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of that province to be disposed of or otherwise dealt with in accordance with the law by the Attorney General or Solicitor General of that province; and (
b) in any other case, order that the property be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of Canada to be disposed of or otherwise dealt with in accordance with the law by the member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada that is designated by the Governor in Council for the purpose of this paragraph. Property related to other offences
(2) Subject to sections 490.3 to 490.41, if the evidence does not establish to the satisfaction of the court that property in respect of which an order of forfeiture would otherwise be made under subsection (1) is related to the commission of the indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act of which a person is convicted or discharged, but the court is satisfied, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the property is offence-related property, the court may make an order of forfeiture under subsection (1) in relation to that property. [Emphasis added.] Confiscation lors de la déclaration de culpabilité 490.1
(1) Sous réserve des articles 490.3 à 490.41 et sur demande du procureur général, le tribunal qui condamne une personne pour un acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers ou l’en absout en vertu de l’article 730 et qui est convaincu, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, que des biens infractionnels sont liés à la perpétration de cet acte criminel ordonne que les biens infractionnels soient confisqués au profit :
a) soit de Sa Majesté du chef de la province où les procédures relatives à l’infraction ont été engagées, si elles l’ont été à la demande du gouvernement de cette province et menées par ce dernier ou en son nom, pour que le procureur général ou le solliciteur général de la province en dispose conformément au droit applicable;
b) soit de Sa Majesté du chef du Canada pour que le membre du Conseil privé de la Reine pour le Canada chargé par le gouverneur en conseil de l’application du présent alinéa en dispose conformément au droit applicable, dans tout autre cas. Biens liés à d’autres infractions
(2) Sous réserve des articles 490.3 à 490.41, le tribunal peut rendre une ordonnance de confiscation aux termes du paragraphe (1) à l’égard de biens dont il n’est pas convaincu qu’ils sont liés à la perpétration de l’acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers et pour lequel la personne a été condamnée ou absoute, s’il est convaincu, hors de tout doute raisonnable, qu’il s’agit de biens infractionnels. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [14] L’
article 2 du Code criminel définit « bien infractionnel » :
offence-related property means any property, within or outside Canada, (
a) by means or in respect of which an indictable offence under this Act or the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act is committed, (
b) that is used in any manner in connection with the commission of such an offence, or (
c) that is intended to be used for committing such an offence[.] bien infractionnel Bien situé au Canada ou à l’extérieur du Canada qui sert ou donne lieu à la perpétration d’un acte criminel prévu par la présente loi ou par la
Loi sur la corruption d’agents publics étrangers , ou qui est utilisé de quelque manière dans la perpétration d’un tel acte, ou encore qui est destiné à servir à une telle fin. V. Analyse [15] Il faut à M. Trecartin l’autorisation de notre Cour pour interjeter appel de la confiscation des véhicules. Le ministère public concède qu’il convient d’accorder cette autorisation, étant donné que l’appel soulève d’importantes questions de droit en ce qui concerne les par. 490.1(1) et (2).
De ce fait, le ministère public a déposé une ordonnance par consentement qui l’autorisait à former un appel reconventionnel, ordonnance signée par un juge de notre Cour. Selon l’avocat du ministère public, les modifications récentes apportées aux paragraphes applicables n’ont pas tout à fait amené la clarté souhaitée. [16] Il apparaît, à l’examen du Code criminel , que la confiscation de « biens infractionnels » est admise, au
titre du par. 490.1(2) , même si ces biens n’ont pas donné lieu à une déclaration de culpabilité. Bien que le ministère public affirme que l’interprétation donnée par le juge du procès des dispositions sur la confiscation était incorrecte, en droit, parce qu’il aurait dû rendre son ordonnance en vertu du par. 490.1(1), le résultat obtenu, soutient-il, est correct. [17] Dans Martin’s Annual Criminal Code, 2016 (Marie Henein, dir.; Toronto, Canada Law Book, 2016), édition correspondant à l’année où les crimes ont été commis, le commentaire des art. 490.1 à 490.9 explique l’objet de ces dispositions.
Le législateur y a instauré un régime visant les biens jugés « biens infractionnels ».
Extraits du commentaire : [TRADUCTION] Ces dispositions, rattachées à un faisceau de mesures législatives, ont été édictées dans le dessein de contrer les organisations criminelles, mais ce lien s’est estompé étant donné la définition large que l’ art. 2 donne de « bien infractionnel », définition l’identifiant à un bien […] qui sert ou donne lieu à la perpétration d’un acte criminel prévu par le Code , ou qui est utilisé de quelque manière dans la perpétration d’un acte criminel ou encore qui est destiné à servir à commettre un acte criminel. [p. 1028] [18] Puis : [TRADUCTION] Ces articles envisagent, pour l’essentiel, deux procédures distinctes de confiscation de biens infractionnels au profit de la Couronne.
L’art. 490.1 ouvre la voie à la confiscation une fois la personne déclarée coupable d’un acte criminel. Si le tribunal est convaincu, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, que le bien infractionnel est lié à la perpétration de l’acte criminel, sa confiscation est ordonnée. Si le tribunal n’en est pas convaincu, mais qu’il est convaincu hors de tout doute raisonnable qu’il s’agissait néanmoins d’un bien infractionnel, le bien peut aussi être confisqué. Il est permis d’interjeter appel d’une ordonnance rendue au
titre de l’art. 490.1, ou de la décision de ne pas rendre d’ordonnance, comme s’il s’agissait d’un appel interjeté à l’encontre d’une peine. [p. 1029] [19] M. Trecartin affirme que la définition de « bien infractionnel » et les critères qui doivent être remplis pour qu’une ordonnance puisse être rendue au
titre du par. 490.1(1) mettent en relief la nécessité d’une preuve établissant que le bien en cause a été utilisé dans la perpétration de l’acte criminel précis dont l’accusé a été déclaré coupable. Il soutient que, pour qu’un bien meuble puisse faire l’objet d’une ordonnance de confiscation, le ministère public doit démontrer, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, qu’il a été utilisé, tel un outil, dans la perpétration d’un acte criminel ou qu’il servira à l’avenir, tel un outil, à commettre des actes criminels. A. Paragraphe 490.1(1)
[20] Selon M. Trecartin, les dispositions sur la confiscation du par. 490.1(1) n’ont pas pour objet la simple saisie de biens que l’accusé a en sa possession, ou qui lui appartiennent, et qui sont liés à un acte criminel dont il a été déclaré coupable, mais la saisie de biens qui ont manifestement été utilisés pour commettre l’acte criminel, utilisation pouvant être prouvée, ou qui proviennent de sa perpétration. M.
Trecartin soutient subsidiairement que, si un accusé se trouve en la possession de biens qui ne peuvent servir qu’à la perpétration d’un acte criminel ou qui proviennent nettement de la perpétration d’un acte criminel, la définition même de « bien infractionnel » en autorise la confiscation uniquement au
titre du par. 490.1(2) . Il a donné l’exemple d’outils d’effraction se trouvant en la possession d’un accusé avant la perpétration d’une introduction par effraction ou d’une forte somme d’argent se trouvant en la possession d’un accusé qui ne peut établir qu’il l’a obtenue légalement. Le second cas se présenterait si un tiers possédant une somme destinée à l’achat de drogue était arrêté avant l’achat. [21] M. Trecartin fait valoir qu’un bien en la possession de l’accusé lors de son arrestation ne peut, du seul fait de cette possession, constituer un « bien infractionnel ».
Il affirme qu’il faut de la preuve (1) soit que le bien a été utilisé, comme un outil, dans la perpétration proprement dite de l’acte criminel dont l’accusé a été déclaré coupable, (2) soit que l’accusé avait la possession du bien à seule fin de s’en servir, comme d’un outil, pour commettre un acte criminel. Ainsi, M. Trecartin soutient qu’il faut donner des mots « de quelque manière » une interprétation exigeant un lien avec une utilisation du bien visé nettement faite pour perpétrer un acte criminel prévu au Code criminel , et non faite à quelque autre fin ordinaire ou prévue en droit.
Il estime en outre que le sens à donner exclut les actions postérieures à la perpétration de l’acte criminel, par exemple la dissimulation de preuve que constitue le fait d’avoir caché la clé à l’intérieur de la Mazda 3 2013 noire. Il affirme que pareille dissimulation ne constitue pas, en soi, une infraction criminelle. [22] M. Trecartin tient pour erronée la conclusion à laquelle le juge est arrivé relativement à la Chevrolet Impala blanche.
Il soutient que, pour conclure hors de tout doute raisonnable que l’Impala blanche avait été utilisée relativement aux actes criminels, le juge saisi de la demande s’est reposé sur un unique élément de preuve : une vidéo enregistrée au lieu de travail de la victime. On y voit le véhicule de la victime, qui agissait sous la menace de M. Trecartin, sortir du parc de stationnement de Sobeys suivi d’une voiture blanche.
Le juge a indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Je rappelle que le point essentiel, au procès, pour ce qui est de l’Impala, était qu’elle pouvait être considérée comme le véhicule blanc qui a quitté le parc de stationnement de Sobeys en suivant la Honda de la plaignante. La preuve présentée lors du procès établissait, hors de tout doute raisonnable, que M. Trecartin avait accédé à la voiture de la plaignante, puis attendu à l’arrière jusqu’à ce qu’elle y monte, en soirée, après son quart de travail chez Sobeys. Une fois la plaignante à bord, M.
Trecartin l’a agressée et l’a menacée de lui faire du mal : il l’a entre autres informée du véhicule blanc qui les suivait et prévenue qu’elle avait intérêt à faire ce qu’il lui dirait de faire et que l’occupant de la voiture blanche était chargé, sinon, de l’abattre. Pour préciser le contexte, en ce qui concerne les deux véhicules désignés dans la demande, je reproduis certaines parties des motifs rendus au procès. […] Je juge, suivant le par. 490.1(2) , qu’il ne fait aucun doute que le véhicule blanc mentionné était l’Impala et qu’il a été utilisé relativement aux actes criminels dont M.
Trecartin a été déclaré coupable. Je conclus, hors de tout doute raisonnable, qu’il s’agit de la voiture qui suivait la plaignante, de même que M. Trecartin, lorsqu’elle a quitté le travail ce soir-là. [par. 15 et 16] M. Trecartin soutient que, lors de l’audience portant sur la confiscation, rien dans la preuve n’établissait hors de tout doute raisonnable que l’Impala blanche était le véhicule aperçu dans la vidéo. [23] M.
Trecartin avance aussi que le juge saisi de la demande a commis une erreur de droit lorsqu’il a décidé que la preuve établissait hors de tout doute raisonnable que la Mazda 3 avait été utilisée de façon à aider M. Trecartin à commettre les actes criminels. Il soutient que rien dans la preuve ne montre que la Mazda 3 a été utilisée dans la perpétration des actes criminels. Il fait observer que le seul fait invoqué à l’appui de la décision du juge était la découverte d’une clé de la Honda Civic de la victime, clé dont M. Trecartin s’était servi pour accéder à cette voiture le soir des crimes.
Je ne suis pas de cet avis. La preuve dont disposait le juge du procès ne se résumait pas à la découverte de la clé dans la Mazda 3. [24] La preuve indicative d’une utilisation de la Mazda 3 liée à la perpétration des actes criminels incluait des extraits des registres de Telus confirmant que le téléphone cellulaire de M. Trecartin avait communiqué avec des stations cellulaires, sur la route de Fredericton à Saint John, peu avant que ces actes soient commis. Pendant qu’il faisait route, M. Trecartin s’était trouvé en communication avec le téléphone cellulaire dont le numéro est attribué à M.
Marks, et des reçus d’essence trouvés dans la Mazda attestaient l’achat d’essence à Fredericton avant les actes criminels. Nous avons vu qu’aucun de ces éléments de preuve n’a été radié. Bien que le juge du procès ait employé le par. 490.1(2) pour parvenir à sa décision alors qu’il aurait dû employer le par. 490.1(1) , une preuve plus que suffisante autorisait à conclure, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, que la Mazda 3 avait été utilisée par M. Trecartin pour l’aider à la perpétration des actes criminels.
[25] Le ministère public admet que, comme l’avance M. Trecartin, un tribunal peut ordonner en vertu du par. 490.1(2) la confiscation d’un bien lié à un acte criminel (formulation qui s’accorde avec la définition de « bien infractionnel »), même s’il n’est pas convaincu par la preuve que l’acte criminel pour lequel la personne a été condamnée a été commis au moyen de ce « bien infractionnel », à condition qu’il soit convaincu hors de tout doute raisonnable qu’il s’agit néanmoins d’un « bien infractionnel ».
Il convient que l’interprétation que le juge saisi de la demande a donnée des dispositions sur la confiscation est incorrecte en droit; en revanche, le ministère public conteste l’interprétation générale des dispositions sur la confiscation que M. Trecartin adopte, car il propose une application des mesures de confiscation plus restreinte que celle que le Parlement entendait obtenir. Au dire du ministère public, M. Trecartin a [TRADUCTION] « amalgamé la définition de “bien infractionnel” et les dispositions sur la confiscation des par. 490.1(1) et (2) . » Selon le ministère public, M.
Trecartin [TRADUCTION] « avance par ailleurs que le rapport entre un bien infractionnel et l’acte criminel invoqué pour le confisquer est analogue au rapport de l’“outil” [c.-à-d. le bien] à l’acte criminel précis pour lequel il est nécessaire. » Ce point de vue réduit la portée projetée du régime de confiscation. [26] Le ministère public estime que l’analogie offerte par M. Trecartin ne tient pas si le par. 490.1(1) est analysé attentivement, car elle suppose que le bien présente un caractère qualitatif qui n’est exigé ni par le paragraphe ni par la définition de « bien infractionnel ». Le point de vue de M.
Trecartin admet uniquement une interprétation du par. 490.1(1) voulant que le bien [TRADUCTION] « ait manifestement été utilisé pour commettre […] l’acte criminel même, utilisation pouvant être prouvée ». En d’autres termes, M. Trecartin avance que le lien entre le bien et l’acte criminel doit être à ce point étroit que le bien est devenu un outil de perpétration de l’acte criminel.
Cette interprétation alourdirait le fardeau de preuve du ministère public et elle n’éclaire pas les discussions sur le sens de la locution « liés à ». [27] Nous avons vu que le ministère public, par appel reconventionnel, soutient que le juge saisi de la demande a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que les véhicules en question ne pouvaient pas faire l’objet d’une ordonnance de confiscation fondée sur le par. 490.1(1). Selon le ministère public, il aurait fait erreur en raison d’une mauvaise compréhension de l’arrêt R. c. Trac , 2013 ONCA 246 , [2013] O.J. No. 1788 (QL).
Le ministère public avance que s’attacher exclusivement au sens de la locution « liés à » conduirait à débattre de ce qui constitue un lien suffisant entre les biens et l’acte criminel, laquelle considération deviendrait le facteur déterminant d’une confiscation. Un élément subjectif serait ainsi associé à cette locution. L’arrêt Trac conclut que « liés à » suppose un lien plus étroit que les mots « utilisé de quelque manière » employés à l’ art. 2 du Code criminel .
De l’avis du ministère public, les diverses parties de la définition énoncée à l’art. 2 forment une définition entière qui dessine le cadre dans lequel l’art. 490.1 doit s’appliquer.
Le paragraphe 490.1(1) soulève avant tout la question de savoir si l’acte criminel pour lequel une déclaration de culpabilité a été prononcée a été commis d’une manière indiquant un lien réel, par opposition à un lien simplement transitoire, entre le bien visé et l’acte criminel. Dans l’arrêt Faulkner c. R. , 2007 NBCA 47 , 315 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 163, notre Cour n’a pas défini la locution « liés à ».
Le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre) a cependant écrit ce qui suit : Selon mon interprétation, le par. 490.1(1) exige une preuve que le bien en cause constitue un « bien infractionnel » et qu’il [est un instrument intervenu dans] la perpétration d’un acte criminel pour lequel une déclaration de culpabilité a été inscrite.
Une fois que ces faits ont été établis selon la prépondérance des probabilités, la demande du procureur général doit être accueillie à moins que la confiscation ne soit démesurée par rapport à la nature et à la gravité de l’infraction, aux circonstances de sa perpétration et, s’il y a lieu, au casier judiciaire de la personne reconnue coupable de l’infraction (voir le par. 490.41(3)).
D’autres facteurs peuvent influer sur l’issue de l’instance si le bien en cause est une maison d’habitation (voir le par. 490.41(4)). [par. 13] [28] Je suis d’avis que l’application de la définition requiert, en pratique, de déterminer si certains biens ont été utilisés pour entreprendre le crime en question. Ainsi, les cas prévus par la définition entière de « bien infractionnel » – notamment, bien servant ou donnant lieu à la perpétration d’un acte criminel ou utilisé de quelque manière dans la perpétration de cet acte – sont tous pris en compte.
De même, il n’y a pas lieu de prouver que le bien était un élément nécessaire de l’activité criminelle, mais uniquement qu’on l’a délibérément employé au soutien de la perpétration de l’acte criminel. Le ministère public fait valoir que le Parlement n’a pas adopté le par. 490.1(1) dans l’intention de le voir tempéré par l’interprétation que les tribunaux donneraient de la locution « liés à », mais par un examen qui déterminerait si son application a un effet démesuré, comme l’indique Faulkner . Je suis du même avis. B.
Paragraphe 490.1(2) [29] S’il n’est pas convaincu que l’acte criminel pour lequel la personne a été déclarée coupable a été commis au moyen du bien visé, mais qu’il soit convaincu hors de tout doute raisonnable qu’il s’agit d’un « bien infractionnel », le tribunal peut ordonner la confiscation de ce bien. [30] Pour condition préalable de la confiscation, le paragraphe 490.1(2) exige, suivant la définition
de « bien infractionnel », qu’il y ait « un acte criminel ». Il n’exige pas, contrairement au par. 490.1(1) , de faire la preuve de l’acte criminel précis dont une personne a été déclarée coupable. L’emploi des tournures « cet acte criminel » et « l’acte criminel », aux par. 490.1(1) et (2) , le montre clairement. [31]
Le paragraphe 490.1(2) n’exige donc pas, pour entrer en jeu, qu’une déclaration de culpabilité ait été prononcée. Il requiert simplement qu’il soit prouvé que les « biens » sont des « biens infractionnels ». Au par. 14 de l’arrêt Faulkner , le juge en chef Drapeau a écrit : « Manifestement, il est possible de conclure qu’un bien est un “bien infractionnel” sans qu’une personne ait nécessairement été déclarée coupable d’un acte criminel prévu au Code criminel . » [32] En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la demande a bel et bien conclu hors de tout doute raisonnable que les véhicules étaient des « biens infractionnels ».
Cette conclusion suppose nécessairement un lien avec un acte criminel. Il a aussi décidé que le ministère public n’avait pas prouvé selon la prépondérance des probabilités, comme le veut le par. 490.1(1), que les véhicules étaient liés aux actes criminels prouvés. Cette décision est celle qu’attaque l’appel reconventionnel du ministère public. C. Conclusion [33] Les deux paragraphes visent la même mesure, mais à l’égard de catégories d’actes criminels différentes. Le juge a commis une erreur, du fait qu’il n’a pas appliqué correctement le par. 490.1(1).
Il est question, au par. 490.1(1) , de l’« acte criminel » d’une personne que le tribunal « déclare […] coupable ». Le paragraphe 490.1(2) , lui, s’applique aux biens infractionnels en l’absence d’une déclaration de culpabilité qui leur est liée.
S’il est établi hors de tout doute raisonnable qu’un bien est infractionnel par rapport à quelque autre acte criminel, la confiscation peut néanmoins être ordonnée, ce qui s’accorde avec l’énoncé de Faulkner voulant qu’il soit possible que quelque chose constitue un « bien infractionnel » sans qu’une personne ait été déclarée coupable. [34] Un « bien infractionnel » est, tout simplement, un bien utilisé de quelque manière dans la perpétration d’un acte criminel quelconque.
La difficulté vient ici du par. 490.1(1) , dont le texte, peu précis, exige que les « biens infractionnels » soient « liés à » l’acte criminel.
Dans l’arrêt Faulkner , notre Cour a résolu le délicat problème d’interprétation que présentait cette disposition en acceptant que la confiscation peut être ordonnée en vertu du par. 490.1(1) si le bien répond à la définition de « bien infractionnel » et s’il constitue [TRADUCTION] « un instrument intervenu dans la perpétration de l’acte criminel ». [35] Il est nécessaire que ce lien soit établi pour que le 490.1(1) s’applique et oblige le juge à ordonner la confiscation d’un « bien infractionnel », mais il n’est pas nécessaire que ce lien existe dans le cas du par. 490.1(2) , lequel permet que le « bien infractionnel » se rattache à un autre acte criminel que celui pour lequel l’accusé a été déclaré coupable. [36] En l’espèce, la preuve au dossier indiquait que M.
Trecartin avait utilisé les deux véhicules pour commettre les actes criminels. Les deux véhicules répondaient donc à la définition de « bien infractionnel » (ils avaient été utilisés dans la perpétration des actes criminels). VI. Dispositif [37] Bien que le raisonnement du juge ait été incorrect, le résultat auquel il est arrivé était le bon. Je suis d’avis d’accorder l’autorisation d’appel, mais de rejeter l’appel. Il n’est pas nécessaire d’examiner l’appel reconventionnel.