2017 NBCA 15, 2017 NBCA 15
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 22-16-CA M.C. APPELLANT M.C. APPELANT - and - - et - J.O. RESPONDENT J.O. INTIMÉE M.C. v. J.O., 2017 NBCA 15 M.C. c.
J.O., 2017 NBCA 15 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: March 4, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 4 mars 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: November 23, 2016 Appel entendu : le 23 novembre 2016 Judgment rendered: March 16, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 16 mars 2017
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Baird Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Elaina S. Campbell For the respondent: Richard A. Northrup Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Elaina S. Campbell Pour l’intimée : Richard A. Northrup THE COURT The appeal is allowed in part. The issue of the payment of the arrears is remitted to the motion judge.
Aside from the adjustment to the amount of arrears outstanding for the months August-December 2007, the motion judge’s assessment of the arrears is upheld. Costs are payable by the appellant to the respondent in the amount of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli en partie. La question du paiement de l’arriéré est renvoyée à la juge qui a entendu la motion. Sauf pour ce qui concerne le rajustement du montant de l’arriéré exigible pour les mois d’août à décembre 2007, l’évaluation de l’arriéré qu’a effectuée la juge saisie de la motion est confirmée.
L’appelant est condamné à verser des dépens de 2 500 $ à l’intimée. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Abella J. in D.B.S. v. S.R.G. , 2006 SCC 37 , [2006] 2 SCR 231 (QL) , succinctly framed the primary objective of the Federal Child Support Guidelines , SOR/97-175 ( Guidelines ), as amended, when she stated: Fairness is the Holy Grail in family law. Certainty and predictability of child support amounts do not justify a retreat from the primacy of a child’s rights to a fair amount of support.
To the extent that certainty is engaged, it should be the children’s certainty that the support they are entitled to will not be wrongly withheld. [para.167] [ 2 ] This appeal involves the
interpretation of ss. 15 - 19 of the Guidelines , which identify the
sources of income to be considered when a child support order is made or varied, either retroactively or prospectively. At the heart of the issue is the motion judge’s treatment of dividend income paid to the appellant by his closely held private corporation. The appellant asserts the income was not “available” to him and the judge erred when she ordered him to pay Ms. O. retroactive child support in the amount of $75,357. II. Facts [ 3 ] In 1996, Mr. C. and Ms. O. had a brief intimate relationship which resulted in the birth of S. Mr. C. married a different individual, Mrs.
C., in 1997, and two children were born of that marriage. Mr. C. became aware he had fathered a child with Ms. O. only in 2003 when he was served with a Notice of Application pursuant to the Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2 (the Act ), as amended, in which Ms. O. claimed both prospective and retroactive child support for S. [ 4 ] In May 2005, as a result of a hearing, Mr. C. was ordered to pay child support for S. At that time, he was operating a construction business, and his annual income was assessed in the amount of $35,157. Retroactive child support arrears were fixed in the amount of $1,849.
In March 2006, the interim order was varied by consent to provide for a sharing of medical expenses for S. [ 5 ] In July 2007, Ms. O. filed a Notice of Motion claiming a review of the above order. In July 2008, Mr. C. provided “all” of the financial information available to him at the time. His financial disclosure revealed that in 2008, Mr. C’s company paid him a capital dividend of $250,000 following the sale of an apartment building. Although Mr.
C. claimed the dividend as income, he asserts the first $134,000 was not “available” to him for child support purposes, on the basis the money was paid as a shareholders loan. Mr. C. testified he regularly loaned operating funds to his company which were later repaid to him either as dividends or as shareholders loans. Mr. C. further submitted the dividend was paid several months following his year end, which is August 31; therefore, he would not have been aware until 2009 he would receive a dividend for the fiscal year 2008. [ 6 ] Following a status hearing in 2010, the parties agreed Ms.
O. would withdraw her Notice of Motion from the court docket, on the basis it could be re-entered when there was more complete financial disclosure from Mr. C. The parties also agreed the child support payments would increase, retroactive to January 1, 2008, to reflect Mr. C.’s estimated income of $100,000 per annum. [ 7 ] In November 2010, Mr. C. and his wife separated. In August 2011, a Consent Order, which was filed as a result of their divorce proceedings, provided that Mrs. C. would release her “marital property” interest in Mr.
C.’s company in exchange for the sum of $350,000, to be paid in two installments of $175,000 each. The first installment was paid from a taxable dividend of $232,000 Mr. C. received from the company in 2011. The second installment was paid from a non-taxable capital dividend of $189,114 Mr. C. received from his company, which he did not declare on his personal income tax return until 2013. Mr. C.’s accountant calculated his personal income for child support purposes to be $92,848 for the years 2011 and 2012. It was his opinion the settlement Mr.
C. paid to his former wife should not be considered a “source of income” on the pretext the funds were not “available” to him and that Mr. C.’s income should be reduced further to account for the taxes he paid with respect to the dividends. [ 8 ] Between 2010 and 2014, there was an ongoing exchange of financial information between counsel, with no resolution. Ms. O. re-entered her Notice of Motion and a hearing took place on November 2 and 3, 2015, during which the court received viva voce evidence from the parties as well as their respective accountants. The motion judge determined Mr.
C. owed retroactive child support to August 1, 2007 in the amount of $75,357. She terminated child support effective July 31, 2015, finding there was insufficient evidence the child, who was then over the age of nineteen years, continued to qualify as a dependent. She imputed the dividend income received by Mr. C. as a source of income for child support purposes, rejecting Mr. C.’s submission it was not “available” to him. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 9 ] Mr. C. comes before the Court asserting the motion judge committed reversible errors, which, in
summary, are identified as follows: i. that the equalization payment made to Mrs. C. in the amount of $350,000 should have been deducted from Mr. C.’s income. Specifically, as it concerns the 2008 dividend, the $134,000 loan “due to shareholder” from M.C.H.I., should not have been considered a
source of income; ii. that the order should not have been made retroactive to August 1, 2007; iii. that the consideration of hardship as it is defined in s. 10 of the Guidelines, was erroneously “equated” with the test for hardshipwhen assessing retroactive child support; iv. that there was an error in the calculation of arrears outstanding in 2007. IV. Standard of Review [10] Orders with respect to child and/or spousal support are owed deference, absent an error in theapplication of a principle of law, or a palpable and overriding error in the
interpretation of the facts (see P.R.H. v. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA18, 343 N.B.R. (2d) 100, per Larlee J.A., writing for the Court, at paras. 8-9). [11] See also Larlee J.A. in Fleiger v. Adams, 2012 NBCA 39, 387 N.B.R. (2d) 322, at para. 8, citingQuigg J.A. in Smith v. Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208, as her authority: In Smith, Quigg J.A also referred to the standard of review with respect to findings of fact and discretionary orders: Richard J.A. discusses the standard of review respecting findings of fact in Lang v. Lang, [2007] N.B.J.
No. 348 (C.A.) (QL): The law is equally clear that the Court of Appeal cannot re-try a case. The Court of Appeal may only overturn a trial judge’s finding offact [if] it is the result of a palpable and overriding error, and may only interfere with a discretionary order if it is founded upon an errorof law, an error in the application of the governing principles or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence (seeHousen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, [2002] S.C.J. No. 31 (QL), 2002 S.C.C. 33 and H.L. v. Canada(Attorney General), [2005] 1 S.C.R. 401, [2005] S.C.J.
No. 24 (QL), 2005 SCC 25 with regard to findings of fact, and British Columbia(Minister of Forests) v. Okanagan Indian Band, 2003 SCC 71 , [2003] 3 S.C.R. 371, [2003] S.C.J. No. 76 (QL), 2003 S.C.C.71, at para. 43, with regard to discretionary orders). [para. 12] [para. 8] [12] In
summary, appellate intervention is not warranted “unless the reasons disclose an error inprinciple, a significant misapprehension of the evidence, or unless the award is clearly wrong” (see Hickey v. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518, [1999] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL) at paras. 10-11). Thus, unless I conclude the motion judge erred in law, shemisapprehended the evidence, or the award is clearly wrong, the result will survive appellate review (see also Dewitt v. Strang et al.,2016 NBCA 63, [2016] N.B.J. No. 244 (QL) at paragraph 8). V. Analysis A.
The Intersection of ss. 18-19 of the Guidelines [13] The last decade has witnessed major changes in the creation, variation and the enforcement of child support orders in Canada. In 2017, we mark the 10th anniversary of the proclamation of the Guidelines. As stated in s. 1(a), one ofthe primary objectives of the Guidelines is to ensure children continue to benefit from the financial means of both spouses followingseparation. Child support is income based. It is also the right of the child.
[ 14 ] The analysis begins with s. 16 of the Guidelines which provides, subject to the provisions in ss. 17 - 20 , annual income is to be determined using the sources set out under the heading “Total Income”, line 150, on the T-1 General Income Tax Form issued by the Canada Revenue Agency. The second step is to make the necessary adjustments pursuant to
Schedule III. Once these steps have been completed, a court may then look to ss. 17 - 20 of the Guidelines to see if any of the listed exceptions are applicable. A residual discretion is granted pursuant to s. 17, to average income over a period of three years if a court is of the view an exclusive reliance on s. 16 would not be the fairest determination of the payor’s income. [ 15 ] Sections 18 and 19 of the Guidelines permit a court to impute income to a parent in certain circumstances.
Section 19 allows imputation when the payor parent receives tax exempt income, fails to disclose income from all sources, or there has been an underutilization of capital assets.
Section 18 applies to a parent who is a shareholder, director or officer of a corporation when there is a finding he or she has taken unreasonable deductions, or income has been unreasonably diverted. In such cases, a court may include “all or part of the pre-tax income of the corporation, and of any corporation that is related to that corporation, for the most recent taxation year” or “an amount commensurate with the services the spouse provides to the corporation”, provided it does not exceed the corporation’s pre-tax income.
For the purposes of calculating pre-tax income, “salaries, wages or management fees, or other payments or benefits, to or on behalf of persons with whom the corporation does not deal at arm’s length” may be added, unless it is established the payments were reasonable. [ 16 ] The reasonableness of the deductions is a discretionary conclusion. At the end of the day, a court will not interfere with reasonable economic decisions necessary to meet corporate sustainability. In Riel v. Holland , [2002] O.J.
No. 5609 (S.C.J.) (QL) , the court affirmed that, when a taxpayer arranges his or her business affairs so as to pay substantially less income tax, ss. 18 and 19 of the Guidelines may be applied in the interests of fairness and consistency. See also Scott v. Scott , 2004 NBCA 99 , 278 N.B.R. (2d) 61 , per Richard J.A., writing for the Court. B. Shareholders loan [ 17 ] In the case at bar, Mr. C. had a history of charging his personal expenses to the company, and taking funds from the company as needed for personal use.
He was paid an annual management fee and he routinely lent the company money, for which he was repaid by way of capital and non-capital dividends. There was a significant shareholders loan at the time he paid the first installment to his former wife, and Mr. C. asserts the motion judge erred in not deducting that loan from his income for 2008. As was found by Marshall J. in M.J.W. v. B.J.W. , 2006 ABQB 19 , [2006] A.J. No. 7 (QL), a shareholders loan is a “means by which a company has free use of capital” to assist in its operations.
For small corporations, these loans may be “an integral part of a successful operation”. The maintenance of a shareholders loan account accords with the “basic approach of drawing as little as possible from the company and returning profits to the company” as a means of supplementing working capital. Marshall J. concluded such a loan is “very similar to an asset such as the shares in a company. It is, in effect, part of the Company structure” (see paras. 26-27). It is not “income” to the shareholder, but is considered a return of principal. [ 18 ] In Vincent v. Vincent , 2012 BCCA 186 , [2012] B.C.J.
No. 818 (QL) , the court concluded the following: Clearly, both the income and capital dividends were available to the father for personal use and thus for child support. He chose to invest them in Robannah by way of a shareholder’s loan in 2007, thereby increasing his equity in that company. In Hausmann , Kirkpatrick J.A., writing for this Court, noted at para. 11 that shareholders’ loans are properly treated as equity, not debt, just as retained earnings are equity, not cash (at para. 66). [para. 55] [ 19 ] In Chekowski v. Howland , 2013 ABCA 299 , [2013] A.J.
No. 923 (QL) , the court observed “each case must be decided on its own facts” (para. 14). In the case at bar, Mr. C. bore the onus to establish the shareholders account was in essence a repayment for funds he advanced to sustain the operation of the company and therefore they were not available to him for child support. The motion judge concluded Mr. C. did not discharge that onus. I would not interfere with her decision. C.
Dividend Income [ 20 ] As noted, when a court determines the payor’s income on Line 150 of his or her General Income Tax Return does not reflect all of the available sources of income, s. 19 of the Guidelines may be utilized. If a court finds a spouse has diverted income that otherwise would have been available for child support purposes, income information has not been
provided when there has been a legal obligation to do so, the spouse derived a significant portion of income from dividends, capital gains or other sources that are taxed at a lower rate than employment and/or business income, or there was tax exempt income, imputation is warranted.
Section 5 of
Schedule III of the Guidelines requires a court to gross-up dividend income if it has been received in lieu of taxable salaried income. [ 21 ] Judicial scrutiny is warranted when a shareholder, owner, or operator of a company structures his or her financial affairs to unreasonably reduce his or her income, thus depriving a dependent child of their entitlement to a proper amount of child support. A finding of blameworthy conduct is not a precondition ( see Nesbitt v. Nesbitt , 2001 MBCA 113 , [2001] M.J. No. 291 (QL) ; and McNeil v.
McNeil , 2013 NBCA 65 , 412 N.B.R. (2d) 303 , per Robertson J.A. writing for the Court). [ 22 ] Here, Mr. C. submits, as the dividend income he received from his company was not available to him, it should not be included as a source, relying on Brown v. Brown , 2014 BCCA 152 , [2014] B.C.J. No. 679 (QL); and Haig v. Whitmore , 2015 ABQB 267 , [2015] A.J. No. 455 (QL), as his authority. In Brown , the payor parent was paid dividends as part of a non- arm’s length corporate retirement savings plan. Mr. Brown could neither access the funds, nor could they be drawn from the plan until he retired.
The court concluded the dividends did not confer an immediate benefit on Mr. Brown and they were therefore not considered a source of income. In my respectful opinion, the result in Brown is distinguishable on its facts from the case at bar. [ 23 ] In Haig , the husband sold some of the shares of his company so he could pay his wife an equalization payment on separation as part of their settlement agreement. The sale attracted a capital gain.
He successfully argued he would be subject to a double penalty should he have been required to pay his wife spousal support based on the gross amount, from the same funds that were previously divided as a result of the share sale. In my opinion, the results in Haig are also distinguishable . [ 24 ] As noted,
Section 5 of
Schedule III provides that, generally, dividends paid to a payor parent from taxable Canadian corporations will be considered a source of income, and will be grossed up for taxation purposes. See Purdue v. Purdue , 2014 NBQB 262 , 431 N.B.R. (2d) 23 , where Wooder J. found the favorable tax treatment applicable to dividend income, capital gains, and certain other forms of revenue could create a situation where payor parents whose incomes are derived primarily from those sources would have more after-tax resources at their disposal than they would have otherwise.
Section 19 permits a court, as noted, to impute income when financial disclosure has been deficient, or, the court concludes the calculation of income pursuant to s. 18 would not reflect all of the sources available to the payor parent. In Bak v. Dobell , 2007 ONCA 304 , [2007] O.J. No. 1489 (QL) , the court concluded s. 19 is “open-ended” and is subordinate to the objectives set out in s. 1. (paras. 36-37). In D.L.M. v. J.A.M. , 2008 NBCA 2 , 326 N.B.R. (2d) 111, at paras. 30-34 , Larlee J.A. provided a non-exhaustive list of the criteria to be considered. See also LeBlanc v.
LeBlanc , 2013 NBCA 22 , 401 N.B.R. (2d) 334 , per Larlee J.A. at para. 26; and Professors Julien D. Payne and Marilyn A. Payne, Child Support Guidelines in Canada, 2015 (Toronto: Irwin Law, 2015) at pages 159-175. [ 25 ] In D.E. v. L.E. , 2014 NBCA 67 , [2014] N.B.J. No. 289 (QL) , Larlee J.A., writing for the court observed: In Austin v. Austin , [2007] O.J. No. 4283 (S.C.J.) (QL) , Smith J. held s. 5 applies where dividends are received from a Canadian corporation not controlled by either spouse (para. 24). That
section does not preclude a court from imputing additional income to a spouse who is the sole shareholder of a company and who elects to receive dividends from the company in lieu of salary. […] [para. 12] [ 26 ] In Goett v. Goett , 2013 ABCA 216 , [2013] A.J. No. 616 (QL), the court concluded that, in keeping with the objectives of the Guidelines , payments to or on behalf of persons with whom the parent does not deal at arm’s length must be added to the payor’s pre-tax income, unless the shareholding parent can establish they were reasonable. This reasoning accords with the conclusions reached in Kowalewich v.
Kowalewich , 2001 BCCA 450 , [2001] B.C.J. No. 1406 (QL), and Nesbitt . As noted, blameworthy conduct is not required. The court concluded in Kowalewich the purpose of s. 18 is to enable the court to “lift the corporate veil” to ensure the money received by the payor parent fairly reflects all of the money available for the payment of child support (para. 43). This is a central preoccupation when the payor parent is the sole shareholder of a company. [ 27 ] In Leis v. Leis , 2014 ABCA 36 , [2014] A.J. No. 73 (QL), the father received both salaried and dividend income from a closely held corporation.
He argued his income should have been adjusted to account for the taxes he paid on the dividends, citing s. 5,
Schedule III of the Guidelines as authority. His application was dismissed on the basis he had not been completely forthright in his financial disclosure. The Court agreed s. 18 of the Guidelines applied. As was stated in Riel , s. 18 is not a code. It provides a discretionary authority to examine the available sources of income, and to gross income up as necessary, so as to ensure consistent treatment of spouses and children who are in similar circumstances (see also D.E. v. L.E. ).
[ 28 ] In Henderson v. Casson , 2014 ONSC 720 , [2014] O.J. No. 519 (QL), dividends were considered a source of income even though the payor father had earmarked a portion of them to pay debts. In Eyking v. Eyking , 2012 NSSC 409 , [2012] N.S.J. No. 641 (QL), the payor father was a minority shareholder and an employee of two privately owned, family run corporations. He returned his annual bonus to one of the corporations as a shareholders loan, claiming he did not have access to the funds for child support purposes.
The court rejected his contention the income should be excluded, and imputed income to him pursuant to s. 19 , finding that s. 18 of the Guidelines applied. See also Gosse v. Sorensen-Gosse , 2011 NLCA 58 , [2011] N.J. No. 331 (QL); Thompson v. Bear , 2014 SKCA 111 , [2014] S.J. No. 619 (QL); and Mason v. Mason , 2016 ONCA 725 , [2016] O.J. No. 5141 (QL), per Simmons J.A. at para. 180. [ 29 ] In Guenther v. Guenther , 2016 SKQB 322 , [2016] S.J. No. 546 (QL), two brothers were equal shareholders of a closely held corporation.
One brother separated and he paid his former spouse an equalization payment of $84,000, which was financed through a loan he took from the company and which was retired by his dividend income. He asserted his child support obligation should be assessed using his T-1 General Income Tax Return only. Dufour J. found if the payor is in a position to influence how pre-tax income is used, depending on the circumstances, it may be appropriate to attribute pre-tax corporate income to him or her, relying on Kowalewich as authority.
The court was satisfied the father had the ability to influence how the corporation directed and used its financial resources, in spite of the fact he was an equal shareholder of the company, and income was imputed to him (see para. 20). [ 30 ] In Bohn v. Bohn , 2016 ABCA 406 , [2016] A.J. No. 1321 (QL), the father was the sole shareholder of a company. He disclosed his Line 150 income.
The mother applied to have the child support obligations reviewed retroactively on the basis the father had not fully complied with the disclosure obligations set out in the Guidelines , asserting his Line 150 income did not fully reflect all of the sources of income available to him for child support purposes. The motion judge concluded it was appropriate to add part of the pre-tax income of the corporation pursuant to s. 18 of the Guidelines , and child support was assessed retroactively from 2012 to 2016.
As it relates to the analysis in the case at bar, the father in Bohn argued he had primarily used the dividend income he received in 2011 to pay his former wife a marital property equalization payment and lump sum spousal support; therefore, the income was not available to him. The court at para. 30 agreed with the motion judge that “[…] this should not impact the determination of the appellant’s income for Guideline purposes because it would give the appellant a double benefit”. [ 31 ] Similarly, in the case at bar, Mr.
C., as the sole shareholder of his company, has a non-arm’s length relationship and he is the controlling mind. The term “arm’s length”, although not defined in the Guidelines , has been interpreted the same way as it is in the Income Tax Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.), meaning those related persons who are “deemed” not to be dealing with each other at arm’s length (see R.E.G. v. T.W.J.G. , 2011 SKQB 269 , [2011] S.J. No. 434 (QL), at para. 159 ). Section 251(1) of the Income Tax Act provides that related persons are “deemed” not to be dealing with each other at arm’s length.
This includes common-law partners and the shareholders who control the corporation (s. 251(2)). Mr. C.’s former wife was neither a shareholder nor was she a director of the company. She was paid a salary for work she reportedly did for the company, which, as the motion judge found, was overstated. The pleadings, which were filed in support of the divorce proceedings, were not before the motion judge. The Consent Order did not identify Mrs. C. as a shareholder of the company, nor did it articulate how the equalization payment was calculated.
There was no description, nor was there an assessment of the non-marital interests Mrs. C. may, or may not have had, at the time of the breakdown of the marriage. The Consent Order provided Mrs. C. would release her interest in the marital home and other marital and non-marital assets in return for a marital property equalization payment of $350,000. On its face, the Court Order represented a co- mingling of marital and non-marital assets which were released to Mr. C. in exchange for one global payment paid by his company. [ 32 ] Affirmanti Non Neganti Incumbit Probatio : he who asserts must prove.
If a court is satisfied the criteria set out in s. 18 have been established, the onus shifts to the parent who utilizes the corporation to establish the expenses are reasonable, having regard to the nature of the business (see Goett at para. 21 ). In Hausmann v. Klukas , 2009 BCCA 32 , [2009] B.C.J. No. 121 (QL), Kirkpatrick J.A. noted often a court is faced with “confusion created by the […] accounting evidence”.
She stated this is neither necessary, nor is it desirable, and she reiterated the onus is on the shareholder to provide the court with sufficient information to ensure it can fulfill its statutory duties (para. 50). In R.E.G ., the court stated: “[t]he onus rests with the parent who is the shareholder, director or officer of the corporation to establish that the pre-tax income of the corporation is not available to them for child support purposes” (para. 184). These become highly discretionary decisions and they will not be lightly discarded on appellate review. Mr.
C. bore the onus to establish the payments to his former wife were legitimate and reasonable corporate expenses. The motion judge found he failed to discharge that onus. I agree. [ 33 ] The motion judge described the settlement process as an “in and out scheme”, meaning the company paid the settlement to Mrs. C., and Mr. C. reimbursed the company with his personal funds through the declaration of a dividend. She characterized this payment as being “no different than any other expense[s] as evidenced by the general ledger”, and therefore money was available for the payment of child support.
The motion judge correctly found the dividend income was available to Mr. C. as a source of income and she imputed it to him for that purpose. D. The Intersection Between Financial Disclosure, Blameworthy Conduct and Retroactive Orders
[ 34 ] The financial disclosure obligation of a payor parent is set out in ss. 21-25 of the Guidelines and in the Rules of Court . Before proceeding, I observe the Guidelines do not impose a disclosure obligation per se . The obligation arises at the request of the recipient parent, or by court order (see s. 25(1) ).
Bastarache J. observed this in D.B.S. at para. 58 when he stated: “[a] payor parent must disclose his/her income not more than once per year upon the request by the recipient parent. […] [T]he scheme in the Guidelines does not burden a payor parent with an automatic disclosure obligation every time his/her income increases”. There is an expectation, however, that recipient parents “will be paid the appropriate Guidelines amount based on the true income of the payor parent”.
Abella J. in her concurring reasons added a parent who knows his or her income has changed has a duty to disclose the change and to vary his or her child support payments according to the appropriate Table amount (para. 166). [ 35 ] The fact the Guidelines do not require a payor to annually disclose his or her income, absent a court order or a formal request, has been the topic of discussion both in the academic and the judicial communities, particularly in the area of retroactive orders.
Some would contend if a parent has not been asked to provide proof of their income on an ongoing basis, and they have paid according to the existing court order, they should not be penalized retroactively. Both Bastarache J. and Abella J. in D.B.S ., were persuaded that a payor parent has an obligation to voluntarily change his or her support payment when they know their income has materially changed. Thus, a payor parent, who knows or ought to have known they have had a change in their income, has an obligation to vary his or her child support payments so as to comply with the Guidelines (see D.B.S .; M.K.R. v.
J.A.R ., 2015 NBCA 73 , 443 N.B.R. (2d) 313, at para. 23 ). In Vincent , the Court found there is a continuing duty to disclose, and, applying D.B.S. at paras. 124- 125 , concluded a failure to do so can constitute blameworthy conduct, thus permitting a court to retroactively vary an award beyond the three years as was discussed in D.B.S. The above is relevant in the case at bar. Although Ms. O. filed her Notice of Motion to vary in 2007, it was not heard until 2015. Mr. C. asserts Ms. O. inordinately delayed the prosecution of her case. On the other side, there is clear evidence Mr.
C. did not fully comply with his court ordered disclosure obligations as well as the Guidelines. [ 36 ] In D.B.S ., Bastarache J. carved out a reasonable time frame of three years from the date the payor parent receives notice of variation, unless there is a finding that one of the exceptions, discussed further, applies. As he states: The date when increased support should have been paid, however, will sometimes be a more appropriate date from which the retroactive order should start. This situation can most notably arise where the payor parent engages in blameworthy conduct.
Once the payor parent engages in such conduct, there can be no claim that (s)he reasonably believed his/her child’s support entitlement was being met. This will not only be the case where the payor parent intimidates and lies to the recipient parent, but also where (s)he withholds information. Not disclosing a material change in circumstances – including an increase in income that one would expect to alter the amount of child support payable – is itself blameworthy conduct.
The presence of such blameworthy conduct will move the presumptive date of retroactivity back to the time when circumstances changed materially.
A payor parent cannot use his/her informational advantage to justify his/her deficient child support payments. [para. 124] He also observes: I would characterize as blameworthy conduct anything that privileges the payor parent’s own interest over his/her children’s right to an appropriate amount of support. [para. 106] [ 37 ] Examples of blameworthy conduct in this context include acts of intimidation, lying to the recipient spouse, withholding financial information, or failing to disclose a material change in income.
In those cases, the hearing judge is imbued with the discretionary power to extend the date beyond three years (see S.P. v. R.P. , 2011 ONCA 336 , [2011] O.J. No. 1968 (QL); and Swiderski v. Dussault , 2009 BCCA 461 , [2009] B.C.J. No. 2096 (QL)). [ 38 ] Bastarache J. observed “‘retroactive awards’ are not truly retroactive”, thus underscoring the philosophy behind the Guidelines that children benefit from the support they are owed, at the time, and when they are owed it (paras. 2 and 4). He reaffirmed that retroactive child support orders are not to be considered as exceptional (para. 97).
The analysis must include a consideration of the: (1) reason for the recipient parent’s delay, if any, in seeking child support; (2) conduct of the payor parent (that is, blameworthy conduct); (3) past and present circumstances of the child including the child’s needs at the time the support should have been paid; and (4) whether the retroactive award would impose a hardship on the payor parent. [ 39 ] Bastarache J. added the following:
Once a court decides to make a retroactive award, it should generally make the award retroactive to the date when effective notice was given to the payor parent. But where the payor parent engaged in blameworthy conduct, the date when circumstances changed materially will be the presumptive start date of the award. It will then remain for the court to determine the quantum of the retroactive award consistent with the statutory scheme under which it is operating. [para. 134] [ 40 ] In Percy v. Percy , 2015 NBCA 16 , [2015] N.B.J.
No. 71 (QL), Larlee J.A., writing for the Court, applied the above at para. 9 when she stated: “[c]oncerning the date chosen for the retroactive child support order to begin, Bastarache J. stated as a general rule support should be retroactive to the date of effective notice by the recipient parent that child support should be paid or increased, but to no more than three years in the past unless there is evidence of blameworthy conduct”. [ 41 ] In this case, the motion judge observed Ms. C. filed her Notice of Application in August 2003 and she filed her Notice of Motion to Vary in July 2007.
Both pleadings requested financial disclosure from Mr. C., as well as an order for retroactive child support. Thus, Mr. C. had effective notice in 2003 that retroactive child support was in play. [ 42 ] Section 21(1) (
f) of the Guidelines provides if a “spouse controls a corporation”, he or she has an obligation to disclose the financial statements of the corporation and its subsidiaries, including a breakdown of the salaries, wages, management fees or other payments made to persons with whom the corporation does not deal at arm’s length. The word “control”, although not defined in the Guidelines , or in the Income Tax Act , has been interpreted to mean both de facto and de jure control (see Bates v. Welcher , 2001 MBCA 33 , [2001] M.J. No. 93 (QL), which was applied by d’Entremont J. in A.L. v.
J.T. , 2010 NBQB 419, 373 N.B.R. (2d) 226 ). [ 43 ] Rule 72.14 of the Rules of Court also speaks to the disclosure question. In the context of a Notice of Application for support pursuant to the Act , a completed Financial Statement (Form 72J), and “such income information” shall be provided by the respondent (see Sutton v. Kay , 2002 NBCA 33 , 250 N.B.R. (2d) 106, per Drapeau J.A. (as he then was), at paras. 1, 10, 13, 14 and 20, and applied by Larlee J.A., writing for the Court, in O’Brien v. O’Brien , 2007 NBCA 22 , 312 N.B.R. (2d) 302, at paras. 10-12 and 14-15 ). [ 44 ] Mr.
C. was under a court ordered obligation to disclose his income from all sources. Section 21(2) of the Guidelines required Mr. C. to provide financial disclosure within thirty days of receiving a demand for child support or a demand for disclosure from a recipient parent. The motion judge found Mr. C. did not meet this obligation (see paras. 24-25 of the reasons). Following the status hearing in 2010, Mr. C. changed solicitors. Further disclosure in 2011 was forwarded to Ms. O.’s accountant for review. An examination for discovery took place in 2013. Mr.
C.’s income information for the years 2013-2014 was provided only days before the hearing in 2015. The motion judge found Mr. C.’s failure to provide timely and ongoing financial disclosure constituted blameworthy conduct as was described in D.B.S. I agree. [ 45 ] The motion judge found the following: Evidence was presented to this Court that the Respondent filed a financial statement sworn to in July 2008 concluding the respondent’s total annual income was $48,500 in employment income and a taxable amount of dividend of $12,125.
The Respondent also testified that in 2008 [M.C.H.I.] sold a 3-12 unit apartment building. The [companies’] income for that year was $939,067; with retained earnings of $464,000. The Respondent personally received a payment of $250,000 that year from the transaction. When asked if he remembered when the sale happened the Respondent could not remember. It was established both by him and his accountant, Mr. Jones, that the year-end for the company is August 31st. Therefore the Court concludes that the sale must have happened at the latest on August 31st, 2008.
The Respondent never confirmed to the Court when the sale took place. His answer to the question was as follows: “I don’t know when I sold the apartment building. My accountant did my books for me and where ever it lands it lands. I just sign the papers. I don’t review financial statements. I am being honest with you I don’t”. It is important to note that there was no note or indication of what the Court would call extraordinary personal or business income to be declared at a future date in his sworn Financial Statement in July 2008. No later than August 2008 he closed a sale that provided him with $250,000.
The Court concludes that this was not a proper disclosure of his income to the Applicant. The Respondent chose not to make mention of that important fact. The Respondent on multiple occasions during his testimony pleaded what the Court will call willful blindness as to the state of his own personal and business income. In some of his responses to the Applicant’s counsel he was evasive as to major business transactions and referred to his hired accountant for answers. D.B.S . is clear, willful ignorance is not a defense to blameworthy conduct.
The Court finds it unjust that the Respondent knowingly ignored his responsibility to adjust his monthly child support based on his income. The Respondent withheld relevant information when needed. The Court therefore finds that there was blameworthy conduct from the Respondent. [paras. 29-35] [ 46 ] The above excerpt from the reasons provides a snapshot of the difficulties Ms. O. faced regarding financial disclosure. In the end, the motion judge concluded Ms.
O. had not delayed the prosecution of her claims on the basis there had been several interim proceedings and there continued to be a problem with financial disclosure. This was acknowledged by the parties as late as 2011, at the status hearing. [ 47 ] The motion judge also touched on the circumstances of the child.
At para. 36 of the reasons, she acknowledged the evidence was thin; however, she determined the child suffered ongoing intellectual problems, and the mother had worked as a waitress, earning an average of $20,000 to $25,000 per annum. [ 48 ] It is my opinion the motion judge amply considered the criteria set out in D.B.S . I find no error in law, nor can I find an error in principle that would persuade me to interfere with her decision in this regard. E. The Undue Hardship Submission [ 49 ] In D.B.S . , Bastarache J. foresaw the potential that accumulated arrears might create undue hardship for a parent.
His comments, although not specifically directed to the analysis set out in s. 10 of the Guidelines , were interpreted by Abella J. in D.B.S . in that context. She states: While undue hardship could militate against a retroactive order being made as of the date of the change of circumstances, I do not believe that it necessarily flows from this that an automatic time limit should be imposed in every case. […] [para. 173] [ 50 ] Mr. C. submits the motion judge applied the wrong principle when she referred to s. 10 of the Guidelines in her analysis and argues that s. 10 does not apply to retroactive orders.
Professors Julien D. Payne and Marilyn A. Payne in Child Support Guidelines in Canada disagree: “[t]he undue hardship provisions of the Guidelines may be applied to reduce the amount of lump sum retroactive child support as well as the prospective periodic child support payments that would otherwise have been ordered” (see also Locke v. Goulding , 2012 NLCA 8 , [2012] N.J.
No. 46 (QL)). [ 51 ] Although s. 10 does not discuss retroactive orders per se , in my opinion, it applies; therefore, the onus remains with the payor parent to advance the claim, and to establish he or she would fit the criteria for undue hardship. This requires the payor to provide evidence in support of the two pre-conditions: 1) proof of circumstances of undue hardship; and 2) a lower “standard of living” in the payor’s household. [ 52 ] As was stated by the Court in H.F.G. v. C.G. , 2003 NBCA 72 , 264 N.B.R. (2d) 277, the threshold is high.
It requires financial disclosure from both parties and a “ Comparison of Household Standards of Living Test ” found in
Schedule II of the Guidelines (see s. 10 (4) ); however, a court is not bound by the result.
[ 53 ] On this issue the motion judge found: The Court finds itself with very little evidence as to the hardship to be suffered from the determination of payment of retroactive child support. The Respondent testified that he is the sole custodian of two other children for whom he also has complete financial responsibility. The Court also heard evidence that he is a home and apartment builder and the province is going through a difficult economic time. He does not have much savings if any. The Respondent has also given personal guarantees to secure investments in his business.
General assumptions of the fact that payment of child support arrears would be hardship is not sufficient. The Federal Child Support Guidelines are specific as to what constitutes undue hardship, and the onus needs to be met by the Respondent. The Court must rely on evidence to make a determination of undue hardship. The Court can take into consideration the circumstances described at section 10(2) from (
a) to (e). Courts have also found other circumstances that could qualify as “undue hardship”. The circumstances under (
a) to (
e) are not exhaustive. The Court will not qualify as undue hardship a general assumption of the Respondent’s obligations. He must meet the criteria under the Guidelines. The Court is also of the opinion that it has received no evidence as to the standard of living test as required. Therefore the Respondent does not meet the criteria set in
section 10 of the Child Support Guidelines. [paras. 42-44] [ 54 ] I agree with the motion judge that “general assumptions” in support of the view a retroactive child support order would cause undue hardship are not sufficient. In order to satisfy the requirements set out in s. 10, Mr. C. bore the onus to establish undue hardship. The motion judge clearly found he did not meet that burden. [ 55 ] The motion judge assessed retroactive child support in the amount of $75,357, with no terms of repayment and no payment date.
She ordered; “[t]he retroactive award may be paid by lump sum or in installments to be negotiated. If counsel requires the Court’s assistance in devising a payment schedule, they may request same to make that determination. If counsel requires the Court’s assistance they may make a direct request to the Court” (para. 66). This is where I
part company with the motion judge’s decision. [ 56 ] The order is unenforceable in its present form. I conclude the motion judge did not fulfill her statutory obligation when she delegated the responsibility for formulating the payments to the parents at the first instance. Section 116(1) of the Act permits a court to make a child support order payable by way of periodic payments or by way of a lump sum. When a court makes such an order, it is incumbent upon the judge to specifically direct how the payments are to be made and to describe the terms of the payments.
The Guidelines require specific wording in the court order as prescribed in s. 13 (f). Neither the Guidelines , nor the Act , provide for the delegation of judicial authority with respect to the terms of payment. [ 57 ] The result is that Ms. O. has not received payment for a period in excess of one year. Neither party has returned to the court for direction, nor is the order enforceable, as noted. The final order assesses the arrears to be paid; however, without a clear understanding of the terms of payment, support enforcement is moot (see the Support Enforcement Act , S.N.B. 2005, c. S-15.5).
The Court does not have sufficient information to impose the terms of payment that should have been ordered by the motion judge. Regrettably, I conclude this portion of the decision should be remitted for immediate determination by the motion judge. She is in the best position to determine, based on the financial information which was before her at the time of the hearing, those terms. The order, simply put, cannot stand in its present form.
To default to the parties, who had been embroiled in litigation since 2003, unnecessarily exacerbated a difficult situation and has delayed enforcement of the order and in my opinion, was an error in law and in principle. F. The Miscalculation of Arrears [ 58 ] Mr. C. submits the motion judge miscalculated the arrears outstanding for 2007. I agree. The motion judge determined Mr. C. owed child support for August-December in the amount of $360 monthly, and she accepted he had paid $1,455 over that five month time period. She then erroneously assessed arrears at $2,865, when, in reality Mr.
C.’s obligation should have been in the amount of $345 for that time frame.
[ 59 ] The motion judge’s decision shall be varied to reflect arrears outstanding in the amount of $345 for the period August-December 2007. VI. Disposition [ 60 ] I would allow the appeal in part. The issue of the terms of payment of the arrears is remitted to the motion judge, as noted. Aside from the adjustment to the arrears outstanding for the months August-December 2007, I would uphold the motion judge’s assessment of arrears. [ 61 ] Since the respondent has attained substantial success, I would order costs payable by the appellant in the amount of $2,500.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction [1] Dans l’arrêt D.B.S. c. S.R.G.; L.J.W. c. T.A.R.; Henry c. Henry; Hiemstra c. Hiemstra , 2006 CSC 37 , [2006] 2 R.C.S. 231 (QL) , la juge Abella a énoncé de façon succincte l’objectif premier des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 (les Lignes directrices ), ensemble leurs modifications, lorsqu’elle a dit ce qui suit : L’équité est le saint Graal du droit de la famille.
La certitude et la prévisibilité du montant de la pension alimentaire ne justifient pas l’abandon de la primauté du droit de l’enfant au juste montant. S’il doit y avoir une certitude c’est que l’enfant ne sera pas indûment privé des aliments auxquels il a droit. [par. 167] [2] Le présent appel concerne l’interprétation des art. 15 à 19 des Lignes directrices , lesquels précisent quelles sources de revenu doivent être prises en compte lorsqu’une ordonnance alimentaire au profit d’un enfant est rendue ou modifiée, que ce soit rétroactivement ou pour l’avenir.
La question à trancher concerne avant tout la façon dont la juge saisie de la motion a traité le revenu de dividendes versé à l’appelant par sa société fermée. L’appelant fait valoir que le revenu en question n’était pas « disponible » et que la juge a commis une erreur lorsqu’elle lui a ordonné de verser à M me O. une prestation alimentaire rétroactive pour enfant s’établissant à 75 357 $. II. Contexte factuel [3] En 1996, M. C. et M me O . ont eu une courte relation intime qui a donné lieu à la naissance de S. M. C. a épousé une autre personne, M me C., en 1997, et deux enfants sont issus de ce mariage.
Ce n’est qu’en 2003 que M. C. a appris qu’il avait conçu un enfant avec M me O. lorsqu’il a reçu, conformément à la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2 (la Loi ), ensemble ses modifications, signification d’un avis de requête dans lequel M me O. sollicitait pour S. une pension alimentaire rétroactive et une autre pour l’avenir. [4] En mai 2005, à l’issue d’une audience, la Cour a ordonné à M. C. de verser des aliments au
profit de S. À l’époque, il exploitait une entreprise de construction et son revenu annuel avait été évalué à 35 157 $. Le montant de l’arriéré de pension alimentaire pour l’enfant a été fixé à 1 849 $. En mars 2006, l’ordonnance provisoire a été modifiée du consentement des parties afin qu’elle prévoit le partage des frais médicaux supportés pour S. [5] En juillet 2007, M me O. a déposé un avis de motion dans lequel elle sollicitait la révision de l’ordonnance susmentionnée. En juillet 2008, M. C. a fourni [TRADUCTION] « tous » les renseignements financiers dont il disposait à ce moment-là.
Les renseignements financiers ainsi communiqués ont révélé qu’en 2008 la compagnie de M. C. lui avait versé un dividende en capital s’établissant à 250 000 $ à la suite de la vente d’un immeuble d’habitation. Bien que M. C. ait déclaré ce dividende à
titre de revenu, il prétend que les premiers 134 000 $ n’étaient pas « disponibles » pour payer une pension alimentaire pour l’enfant, et ce, parce que la somme en question lui avait été versée à
titre de prêt à l’actionnaire. M. C. a témoigné qu’il lui arrivait régulièrement de prêter à sa compagnie des fonds d’exploitation qui lui étaient par la suite remboursés sous forme soit de dividendes soit de prêt à l’actionnaire. M.
C. a également fait valoir que le dividende lui était payé plusieurs mois après la fin de son exercice, laquelle a lieu le 31 août; il n’aurait donc pas su avant 2009 qu’il toucherait un dividende pour l’exercice financier 2008. [6] À la suite d’une audience sur l’état de l’instance tenue en 2010, les parties sont convenues que M me O. retirerait son avis de motion du rôle, puisqu’elle pourrait l’y faire réinscrire lorsque M. C. aurait communiqué des renseignements financiers plus complets.
Les parties se sont également entendues sur le fait que le montant de la pension alimentaire au profit de l’enfant serait majoré, avec effet rétroactif au 1 er janvier 2008, pour tenir compte du revenu estimatif de M. C. qui était de 100 000 $ par année. [7] En novembre 2010, M. C. et son épouse se sont séparés. En août 2011, une ordonnance par consentement, qui a été déposée par suite de leur instance en divorce, a disposé que M me C. renoncerait à l’intérêt qu’elle avait sur la compagnie de M. C. à
titre de « bien matrimonial » moyennant la somme de 350 000 $, payable en deux versements de 175 000 $ chacun . La somme nécessaire pour le premier versement a été prélevée sur un dividende imposable de 232 000 $ que M. C. avait reçu de la compagnie en 2011. Le deuxième versement a été prélevé sur un dividende en capital non imposable de $189,114 $ que M. C. a reçu de sa compagnie et qu’il n’a déclaré dans sa déclaration de revenus personnelle qu’en 2013. L’expert-comptable de M.
C. a calculé que le revenu personnel de son client pour les fins des aliments au profit de l’enfant s’établissait à 92 848 $ pour les années 2011 et 2012. Il était d’avis que la somme que M. C. a versée à son ex-épouse en guise de règlement ne devait pas être considérée comme une « source de revenu » sous prétexte que ces sommes n’étaient pas « disponibles » et qu’il y avait lieu de réduire davantage le revenu de M. C. pour tenir compte de l’impôt qu’il avait payé au
titre des dividende s. [8] Entre 2010 et 2014, il y a eu un échange constant de renseignements financiers entre les avocats, sans qu’un règlement n’intervienne. M me O. a de nouveau introduit son avis de motion et une audience a eu lieu les 2 et 3 novembre 2015. Au cours de cette audience, la Cour a reçu les témoignages de vive voix des parties ainsi que de leurs experts- comptables respectifs. La juge saisie de la motion a décidé que M. C. était redevable d’aliments au profit de l’enfant qui s’établissaient, rétroactivement au 1 er août 2007, à 75 357 $.
Elle a mis fin à la pension alimentaire au profit de l’enfant en date du 31 juillet 2015 parce qu’elle a conclu qu’il n’y avait pas suffisamment de preuves établissant que l’enfant, alors âgé de plus de dix-neuf ans, était toujours admissible à la qualité de personne à charge. Elle a attribué à M. C. le revenu de dividendes comme source de revenu pour les fins de la pension alimentaire au profit de l’enfant, rejetant ainsi la prétention de M. C. selon laquelle ce revenu n’était pas « disponible ». III. Moyens d’appel [9] M.
C. se présente devant la Cour en prétendant que la juge saisie de la motion a commis des erreurs justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision, lesquelles seraient, en résumé, les suivantes : i. Le paiement d’égalisation s’établissant à 350 000 $ qui a été fait à M me C. aurait dû être soustrait du revenu de M. C.
Plus précisément, en ce qui concerne le dividende de 2008, le prêt de 134 000 $ que M.C.H.I. devait [TRADUCTION] « rembourser à l’actionnaire » n’aurait pas dû être considéré comme une source de revenu; ii. la juge n’aurait pas dû faire rétroagir l’ordonnance au 1 er août 2007; iii. es difficultés excessives définies à l’art. 10 des Lignes directrices ont erronément été [TRADUCTION] « assimilées » aux difficultés excessives pour les fins de l’évaluation du montant de la pension alimentaire rétroactive au profit d’un enfant;
iv. ne erreur a été commise dans le calcul de l’arriéré exigible en 2007. IV. Norme de contrôle [10] Les ordonnances alimentaires au profit d’un enfant ou d’un époux ont droit à la déférence enl’absence d’une erreur dans l’application d’un principe de droit ou d’une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’interprétation des faits (voir l’arrêt P.R.H. c. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 R.N.-B. (2e) 100, la juge d’appel Larlee, qui rendait jugement au nom de la Cour, auxpar. 8 et 9). [11] Voir aussi l’énoncé suivant de la juge Larlee, dans l’arrêt Fleiger c.
Adams, 2012 NBCA 39, 387 R.N.-B. (2e) 322, au par. 8, où elle s’appuie sur les propos de la juge d’appel Quigg dans l’arrêt Smith c. Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 R.N.-B. (2e) 208 : Dans Smith, la juge d’appel Quigg a également rappelé quelles normes de contrôle sont applicables aux conclusions de fait et auxordonnances discrétionnaires : Dans l’arrêt Lang c. Lang, [2007] A.N.-B. no 348 (C.A.) (QL), le juge d’appel Richard a examiné la norme de contrôle qui s’appliqueaux conclusions de fait : [TRADUCTION]Il est tout aussi clair, en droit, que la Cour d’appel ne peut juger l’affaire de nouveau.
La Cour d’appel ne peut infirmer une conclusionde fait du juge du procès que si celle-ci résulte d’une erreur manifeste et dominante et ne peut modifier une ordonnance discrétionnaireque si celle-ci est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve (voir les arrêts Housen c. Nikolaisen, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, [2002] A.C.S. no 31 (QL), 2002 CSC 33, et H.L. c.
Canada (Procureur général), [2005] 1 R.C.S. 401, [2005] A.C.S. no 24 (QL), 2005 CSC 25, pour ce qui concerne lesquestions de fait, et l’arrêt Colombie-Britannique (Ministre des Forêts) c. Bande indienne Okanagan, [2003] 3 R.C.S. 371, [2003] A.C.S. no 76 (QL), 2003 CSC 71, au par. 43, pour ce qui concerne les ordonnances discrétionnaires). [par. 12] [par. 8] [12] En résumé, une intervention en appel n’est pas justifiée à moins que « les motifs révèlent uneerreur de principe ou une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve, ou encore si la décision est manifestement erronée » : Hickey c.
Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL), aux par. 10 et 11. Donc, à moinsque je ne conclue que la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur de droit ou une erreur dans l’appréciation de la preuve ou encoreque la décision est manifestement erronée, la décision survivra à l’examen en appel (voir aussi l’arrêt Dewitt c. Strang et autres, 2016 NBCA 63, [2016] A.N.-B. no 244 (QL) au paragraphe 8). V. Analyse A.
L’application conjointe des art. 18 et 19 des Lignes directrices [13] La dernière décennie a vu des changements importants dans la création, la modification etl’exécution des ordonnances alimentaires au profit des enfants au Canada. En 2017, nous célébrons le dixième anniversaire de l’entrée envigueur des Lignes directrices. Comme on peut le lire à l’alinéa 1a), un des principaux objectifs des Lignes directrices consiste àpermettre aux enfants de continuer de bénéficier des ressources financières des époux après leur séparation. La pension alimentaire pourenfant est fonction du revenu.
C’est aussi un droit qu’a l’enfant.
[14] L’analyse commence par l’art. 16 des Lignes directrices qui dispose que sous réserve des articles 17 à 20 , le revenu annuel de l’époux est déterminé au moyen des sources de revenu figurant sous la rubrique « Revenu total », à la ligne 150 de la formule d’impôt T1 Générale établie par l’Agence du revenu du Canada. La deuxième étape consiste à faire les rajustements nécessaires conformément à l’annexe III. Une fois ces étapes franchies, la Cour peut examiner les art. 17 à 20 des Lignes directrices pour voir si l’une ou l’autre des exceptions mentionnées est applicable.
Un pouvoir discrétionnaire conféré à l’art. 17 permet au tribunal de faire la moyenne du revenu sur une période de trois ans s’il est d’avis que la détermination du revenu par l’application exclusive de l’art. 16 ne correspond pas à la détermination la plus équitable du revenu de l’époux débiteur. [15] Les articles 18 et 19 des Lignes directrices autorisent le tribunal à attribuer un revenu à un parent dans certaines circonstances.
L’article 19 autorise l’attribution d’un revenu lorsque le parent débiteur touche un revenu exonéré d’impôt ou ne divulgue pas les revenus provenant de toutes les sources ou lorsqu’il y a sous-utilisation d’une immobilisation. L’article 18 s’applique à un parent qui est actionnaire, administrateur ou dirigeant d’une société, lorsque le tribunal conclut qu’il a déduit certaines sommes de façon déraisonnable ou que des revenus ont été détournés de façon déraisonnable. Dans ce cas, le tribunal peut inclure « soit tout ou
partie du montant de profit avant impôt de la société, et de toutes autres sociétés avec lesquelles elle est liée, pour la dernière année d’imposition »; « soit un montant correspondant à la valeur des services qu’il fournit à la société » jusqu’à concurrence du montant de profit avant impôt de la société.
Aux fins du calcul du profit avant impôt, les « salaires, rémunérations, frais de gestion ou avantages, [que la société paie] aux personnes avec lesquelles elle a un lien de dépendance, ou au nom de celles-ci », peuvent être ajoutés, à moins qu’il ne soit établi qu’ils sont raisonnables. [16] Le caractère raisonnable des déductions est une conclusion d’ordre discrétionnaire. Au bout du compte, le tribunal ne s’immiscera pas dans des décisions d’ordre économique qui sont raisonnables et nécessaires pour assurer la viabilité de la société. Dans la décision Riel c. Holland , [2002] O.J.
No. 5609 (C.S.J.) (QL) , la Cour a confirmé que lorsqu’un contribuable arrange ses affaires commerciales de manière à réduire considérablement ses impôts, les art. 18 et 19 des Lignes directrices peuvent être appliqués dans un souci d’équité et d’uniformité. Voir aussi l’arrêt Scott c. Scott , 2004 NBCA 99 , 278 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 61 , le juge d’appel Richard, qui rendait jugement au nom de la Cour. B. Le prêt à l’actionnaire [17] En l’espèce, M. C. avait pour habitude d’imputer ses dépenses personnelles à la société et de retirer des fonds de celle-ci, au besoin, pour son propre usage.
Il touchait des honoraires de gestion annuels et il lui arrivait régulièrement de prêter de l’argent à la société, argent qui lui était remboursé sous forme de dividendes en capital et autres qu’en capital. Il existait un important prêt à l’actionnaire au moment où il a fait le premier versement à son ex-épouse et M. C. prétend que la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur en ne déduisant pas ce prêt de son revenu pour l’année 2008. Comme l’a conclu le juge Marshall dans la décision M.J.W. c. B.J.W. , 2006 ABQB 19 , [2006] A.J.
No. 7 (QL), un prêt aux actionnaires est un [TRADUCTION] « moyen qui permet à une compagnie d’utiliser librement son capital » pour ses opérations . Pour les petites sociétés, ces prêts peuvent constituer [TRADUCTION] « une
partie intégrante de la réussite de l’exploitation ». L’existence d’un compte de prêt aux actionnaires est conforme à la [TRADUCTION] « démarche fondamentale qui consiste à retirer le moins d’argent possible de la compagnie et à retourner les profits à la compagnie » afin d’augmenter le fonds de roulement. Le juge Marshall a conclu qu’un prêt de cette nature [TRADUCTION] « est très semblable à un élément d’actif comme les actions d’une compagnie. Il fait partie, en fait, de la structure de la compagnie » (voir les par. 26 et 27).
Ce prêt n’est pas un [TRADUCTION] « revenu » de l’actionnaire, mais est considéré constituer un remboursement de principal. [18] Dans l’arrêt Vincent c. Vincent , 2012 BCCA 186 , [2012] B.C.J. No. 818 (QL) , la Cour a tiré les conclusions suivantes : [TRADUCTION] À l’évidence, le père disposait des dividendes sur les bénéfices et des dividendes en capital pour son usage personnel et ceux-ci étaient donc disponibles pour les fins de la pension alimentaire pour enfants. Il a choisi de les investir dans Robannah sous la forme d’un prêt d’actionnaire en 2007 et a ainsi accru son intérêt dans cette compagnie.
Dans l’arrêt Hausmann , la juge d’appel Kirkpatrick, qui rendait le jugement de la Cour, a souligné au par. 11 que c’est à bon droit que les prêts aux actionnaires sont considérés comme des capitaux propres et non pas comme une dette, tout comme les bénéfices non répartis sont des capitaux propres et non des liquidités (au par. 66). [par. 55] [19] Dans l’arrêt Chekowski c. Howland , 2013 ABCA 299 , [2013] A.J. No. 923 (QL) , la Cour a fait observer que [TRADUCTION] « chaque instance doit être tranchée en fonction des faits qui lui sont propres » (par. 14). En l’espèce, il incombait à M.
C. d’établir que les sommes payables à l’actionnaire étaient essentiellement un remboursement des sommes qu’il avait
avancées pour soutenir l’exploitation de la société et qu’elles n’étaient donc pas disponibles pour les fins des aliments au profit de l’enfant. La juge saisie de la motion a conclu que M. C. ne s’était pas acquitté de cette charge. Je suis d’avis de ne pas infirmer sa décision. C. Le revenu de dividendes [20] Comme nous l’avons vu, lorsqu’un tribunal conclut que le revenu que l’époux débiteur déclare à la ligne 150 de sa déclaration de revenus T1 Générale ne tient pas compte de toutes les sources de revenu disponibles, il peut avoir recours à l’art. 19 des Lignes directrices .
Si le tribunal conclut qu’un époux a détourné des revenus qui, autrement, auraient été disponibles pour les fins des aliments au profit d’un enfant, qu’un époux n’a pas fourni des renseignements relatifs au revenu qu’il était légalement tenu de fournir, que l’époux a tiré une
part considérable de son revenu de dividendes, de gains en capital ou d’autres sources qui sont imposés à un taux moindre que le revenu d’emploi ou d’entreprise ou qu’il y avait un revenu exonéré d’impôt, l’attribution d’un revenu est justifiée.
L’article 5 de l’annexe III des Lignes directrices oblige le tribunal à majorer un revenu de dividendes s’il a été reçu au lieu d’un revenu consistant en un salaire imposable. [21] Le contrôle judiciaire est justifié lorsqu’un actionnaire, un propriétaire ou un exploitant d’une société structure ses affaires financières de manière à réduire déraisonnablement son revenu et se trouve ainsi à priver un enfant à charge de son droit à une pension alimentaire convenable. Une conclusion de conduite répréhensible n’est pas une condition préalable (voir les arrêts Nesbitt c. Nesbitt , 2001 MBCA 113 , [2001] M.J.
No. 291 (QL) ; et McNeil c. McNeil , 2013 NBCA 65 , 412 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 303 , le juge d’appel Robertson qui rendait jugement au nom de la Cour). [22] En l’espèce, M. C. prétend que, puisque le revenu de dividendes qu’il a reçu de sa compagnie n’était pas disponible, il ne devrait pas être inclus dans les sources de revenu et il invoque à cet égard l’arrêt Brown c. Brown , 2014 BCCA 152 , [2014] B.C.J. No. 679 (QL), ainsi que la décision Haig c. Whitmore , 2015 ABQB 267 , [2015] A.J. No. 455 (QL).
Dans l’affaire Brown , des dividendes étaient versés au parent débiteur dans le cadre d’un régime d’épargne-retraite d’entreprise avec lien de dépendance. M. Brown n’avait pas accès aux fonds en question et ceux-ci ne pouvaient pas être retirés du régime avant qu’il ne prenne sa retraite. La Cour a conclu que les dividendes ne conféraient pas un avantage immédiat à M. Brown et ils n’ont donc pas été considérés comme une source de revenu.
Je suis respectueusement d’avis que les conclusions tirées dans l’affaire Brown peuvent être écartées en raison des faits. [23] Dans l’affaire Haig , le mari avait vendu certaines des actions de sa compagnie afin de pouvoir verser à son épouse un paiement d’égalisation au moment de la séparation conformément à leur convention de règlement. La vente avait donné lieu à un gain en capital.
Le mari a prétendu, prétention qui a été accueillie, qu’il serait doublement pénalisé s’il devait verser à son épouse des aliments calculés en fonction du montant brut et les prélever sur les sommes mêmes qui avaient déjà été partagées par suite de la vente des actions. Je suis d’avis que les conclusions tirées dans l’affaire Haig peuvent aussi être écartées. [24] Comme nous l’avons souligné, l’article 5 de l’annexe III dispose que, généralement, les dividendes de sociétés canadiennes imposables payés à un parent débiteur seront considérés comme une source de revenu et seront majorés pour des fins fiscales.
Voir la décision Purdue c. Purdue , 2014 NBBR 262 , 431 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 23 , où la juge Wooder a conclu que le traitement fiscal favorable applicable au revenu de dividendes, aux gains en capital et à certaines autres formes de revenus peut créer une situation où les parents débiteurs qui tirent la plus grande
partie de leurs revenus de ces sources disposeront de plus de ressources après impôt que ce serait autrement le cas. L’article 19 autorise le tribunal, comme nous l’avons vu, à attribuer un revenu lorsque la communication des renseignements financiers a été déficiente ou si le tribunal conclut que le calcul du revenu effectué conformément à l’art. 18 ne tiendrait pas compte de toutes les sommes dont dispose le parent débiteur. Dans l’arrêt Bak c. Dobell , 2007 ONCA 304 , [2007] O.J.
No. 1489 (QL) , la Cour a conclu que l’art. 19 n’est [TRADUCTION] « pas limitatif » et est subordonné aux objectifs énoncés à l’art. 1. (par. 36 et 37). Dans l’arrêt D.L.M. c. J.A.M. , 2008 NBCA 2 , 326 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 111, aux par. 30 à 34 , la juge d’appel Larlee a dressé une liste non exhaustive des critères à prendre en considération. Voir aussi l’arrêt LeBlanc c. LeBlanc , 2013 NBCA 22 , 401 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 334 , la juge Larlee au par. 26, et l’ouvrage des professeurs Julien D. Payne et Marilyn A.
Payne, intitulé Child Support Guidelines in Canada, 2015 (Toronto : Irwin Law, 2015) aux pages 159 à 175. [25] Dans l’arrêt D.E. c. L.E. , 2014 NBCA 67 , [2014] A.N.-B. n o 289 (QL) , la juge Larlee, qui rendait jugement au nom de la Cour, a fait observer ce qui suit : Dans la décision Austin c. Austin , [2007] O.J. No. 4283 (C.S.J.) (QL) , le juge Smith a conclu que l’art. 5 s’applique lorsque les dividendes reçus proviennent d’une société canadienne qui n’est pas contrôlée par l’un ou l’autre des époux (par. 24). Cet
article n’empêche pas la Cour d’attribuer un revenu additionnel à un époux qui est l’unique actionnaire d’une compagnie et qui choisit de recevoir de la compagnie des dividendes tenant lieu de salaire. […] [par. 12]
[26] Dans l’arrêt Goett c. Goett , 2013 ABCA 216 , [2013] A.J. No. 616 (QL), la Cour a conclu que, conformément aux objectifs des Lignes directrices , les montants payés aux personnes avec lesquelles le parent a un lien de dépendance, ou au nom de celles-ci, sont ajoutés au revenu avant impôt du débiteur, à moins que le parent actionnaire n’établisse qu’ils étaient raisonnables. Ce raisonnement est conforme aux conclusions tirées dans les arrêts Kowalewich c. Kowalewich , 2001 BCCA 450 , [2001] B.C.J. No. 1406 (QL), et Nesbitt .
Comme nous l’avons souligné, il n’est pas nécessaire qu’il y ait une conduite répréhensible. Dans l’affaire Kowalewich , la Cour a conclu que l’art. 18 a pour but de permettre à la Cour de [TRADUCTION] « lever le voile de la personnalité morale » pour s’assurer que les sommes reçues par le parent débiteur correspondent fidèlement aux sommes disponibles pour payer une pension alimentaire pour enfants (par. 43). C’est là une préoccupation fondamentale lorsque le parent débiteur est l’unique actionnaire d’une société. [27] Dans l’affaire Leis c. Leis , 2014 ABCA 36 , [2014] A.J.
No. 73 (QL), le père touchait à la fois un salaire et un revenu de dividendes d’une société fermée. Il a prétendu que son revenu aurait dû être rajusté pour tenir compte de l’impôt qu’il avait payé sur les dividendes, s’appuyant à cet égard sur l’art. 5 de l’annexe III des Lignes directrices . Sa demande a été rejetée pour le motif qu’il n’avait pas été tout à fait franc dans la communication de ses renseignements financiers. La Cour a reconnu que l’art. 18 des Lignes directrices s’appliquait. Comme on peut le lire dans la décision Riel , l’art. 18 n’est pas un code.
Il confère le pouvoir discrétionnaire d’examiner les sources de revenu disponibles et de majorer le revenu au besoin afin de garantir que les époux et enfants qui se trouvent dans des situations semblables les unes aux autres soient traités d’une façon uniforme (voir aussi l’arrêt D.E. c. L.E. ). [28] Dans la décision Henderson c. Casson , 2014 ONSC 720 , [2014] O.J. No. 519 (QL), des dividendes ont été considérés être une source de revenu malgré le fait que le père débiteur en avait affecté une
partie au remboursement de certaines dettes. Dans l’affaire Eyking c. Eyking , 2012 NSSC 409 , [2012] N.S.J. No. 641 (QL), le père débiteur était actionnaire minoritaire et employé de deux sociétés familiales de propriété privée. Il avait réinvesti sa prime annuelle dans une des sociétés à
titre de prêt d’actionnaire et a prétendu qu’il n’avait pas accès aux sommes en question pour les fins des aliments au profit des enfants. La Cour a rejeté sa prétention selon laquelle ce revenu devait être exclu et lui a attribué un revenu conformément à l’art. 19, après avoir conclu que l’art. 18 des Lignes directrices s’appliquait. Voir aussi les arrêts Gosse c. Sorensen-Gosse , 2011 NLCA 58 , [2011] N.J. No. 331 (QL), Thompson c. Bear , 2014 SKCA 111 , [2014] S.J. No. 619 (QL); et Mason c. Mason , 2016 ONCA 725 , [2016] O.J. No. 5141 (QL), la juge d’appel Simmons, au par. 180. [29] Dans l’affaire Guenther c.
Guenther , 2016 SKQB 322 , [2016] S.J. No. 546 (QL), deux frères étaient actionnaires à parts égales d’une société fermée. Un des frères s’était séparé et il avait versé à son ex-épouse un paiement d’égalisation de 84 000 $, qu’il avait financé au moyen d’un prêt que lui avait consenti la compagnie et qui avait été amorti par son revenu de dividendes. Il a prétendu que ses obligations alimentaires à l’endroit des enfants devaient être évaluées sur le seul fondement de sa déclaration de revenus T1 Générale.
Le juge Dufour a conclu que si le débiteur est en mesure d’influer sur la façon dont son revenu avant impôt est utilisé, il pouvait être indiqué, selon les circonstances, de lui attribuer une
partie du profit avant impôt de la société, s’appuyant à cet égard sur l’arrêt Kowalewich . La Cour s’est dite convaincue que le père avait la capacité d’influer sur la façon dont la société affectait et utilisait ses ressources financières, malgré le fait qu’il était actionnaire à parts égales de la compagnie, et un revenu lui a été attribué (voir le par. 20). [30] Dans l’affaire Bohn c. Bohn , 2016 ABCA 406 , [2016] A.J. No. 1321 (QL), le père était l’unique actionnaire d’une compagnie. Il a divulgué le revenu déclaré à la ligne 150.
La mère a demandé la révision rétroactive des obligations alimentaires à l’endroit de l’enfant pour le motif que le père ne s’était pas pleinement acquitté de l’obligation de divulgation énoncée dans les Lignes directrices et a fait valoir que le revenu déclaré à la ligne 150 ne faisait pas état de toutes les sources de revenu dont il disposait pour payer une pension alimentaire pour enfant. Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu qu’il y avait lieu d’ajouter une
partie du montant de profit avant impôt de la société conformément à l’art. 18 des Lignes directrices et les aliments au profit de l’enfant ont été évalués rétroactivement pour les années 2012 à 2016. Pour ce qui concerne l’analyse qui nous occupe en l’espèce, précisons que le père, dans l’affaire Bohn , avait prétendu qu’il avait principalement utilisé le revenu de dividendes qu’il avait reçu en 2011 pour verser à son ex-épouse un paiement d’égalisation au
titre des biens matrimoniaux ainsi qu’un paiement alimentaire forfaitaire et que ce revenu n’était donc pas disponible. Au paragraphe 30, la Cour s’est dite d’accord avec le juge saisi de la motion pour conclure que [TRADUCTION] « cela ne devrait pas avoir d’incidence sur la détermination du revenu de l’appelant pour les fins des Lignes directrices parce qu’on se trouverait à conférer un double avantage à l’appelant ». [31] De même, en l’espèce, M. C., à
titre d’unique actionnaire de sa compagnie, a un lien de dépendance avec elle et il en est l’âme dirigeante. L’expression « lien de dépendance », bien qu’elle ne soit pas définie dans les Lignes directrices , a été interprétée de la même façon que pour l’application de la Loi de l’impôt sur le revenu , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 1 (5 e suppl.), savoir que des personnes liées sont « réputées » avoir entre elles un lien de dépendance (voir la décision R.E.G. c. T.W.J.G. , 2011 SKQB 269 , [2011] S.J. No. 434 (QL), au par. 159 ).
Le paragraphe 251(1) de la Loi de l’impôt sur le revenu dispose que des personnes liées sont « réputées » avoir entre elles un lien de dépendance. Cela comprend les conjoints de fait et les actionnaires qui contrôlent une société (art. 251(2)). L’ex-épouse de M. C. n’était ni actionnaire ni administratrice de la compagnie. Elle touchait un salaire pour du travail qu’elle aurait effectué pour la compagnie, travail dont l’importance, selon la conclusion de la juge de la motion, a été exagérée.
Les plaidoiries qui avaient été déposées à l’appui de la requête en divorce n’ont pas été produites devant la juge saisie de la motion.
L’ordonnance par consentement ne précisait pas que M me C. était actionnaire de la compagnie ni la façon dont le montant du paiement d’égalisation a été calculé. On n’y trouve aucune description ni aucune évaluation des intérêts non matrimoniaux que M me C. pouvait avoir, ou ne pas avoir, au moment de la rupture du mariage. L’ordonnance par consentement disposait que M me C. renoncerait à son intérêt sur le foyer matrimonial et d’autres éléments d’actif matrimoniaux et non matrimoniaux en échange d’un paiement d’égalisation de 350 000 $ au
titre des biens matrimoniaux. À première vue, l’ordonnance de la Cour a constitué un partage indistinct d’éléments d’actif matrimoniaux et non matrimoniaux qui ont été cédés à M. C. en échange d’un montant global payé par sa compagnie. [32] Affirmanti non neganti incumbit probatio : la preuve incombe à celui qui affirme. Si la Cour est convaincue que les critères énoncés à l’art. 18 ont été établis, c’est au parent qui utilise la société qu’il incombe d’établir que les dépenses sont raisonnables, en tenant compte de la nature de l’entreprise (voir l’arrêt Goett au par. 21 ). Dans l’arrêt Hausmann c.
Klukas , 2009 BCCA 32 , [2009] B.C.J. No. 121 (QL), la juge d’appel Kirkpatrick a souligné que souvent, la Cour est confrontée à [TRADUCTION] « de la confusion créée par la […] preuve comptable ». Elle a dit que cela n’est ni nécessaire ni souhaitable et elle a réaffirmé que c’est à l’actionnaire qu’il incombe de fournir à la Cour des renseignements suffisants pour lui permettre de s’acquitter des obligations que la loi lui impose (par. 50).
Dans la décision R.E.G ., la Cour a dit que [TRADUCTION] « [c]’est au parent qui est l’actionnaire, l’administrateur ou le dirigeant de la société qu’incombe la charge d’établir que le montant du profit avant impôt de la société n’est pas disponible pour payer une pension alimentaire pour enfants » (par. 184). Ce sont là des décisions qui sont hautement discrétionnaires et elles ne sauraient être écartées à la légère lors d’un examen en appel. M. C. avait la charge d’établir que les sommes versées à son ex-épouse étaient des dépenses légitimes et raisonnables supportées par la société.
La juge saisie de la motion a conclu qu’il ne s’était pas acquitté de cette charge. Je souscris à sa conclusion. [33] La juge saisie de la motion a qualifié le processus de règlement amiable de [TRADUCTION] « mouvement financier réciproque », c’est-à-dire que la compagnie a payé le montant du règlement amiable à M me C. et que M. C. a remboursé la compagnie avec son propre argent par le truchement d’une déclaration de dividende.
Elle a dit de ce paiement qu’il n’était [TRADUCTION] « pas différent d’une quelconque autre dépense constatée dans le grand livre », de sorte que des sommes étaient disponibles pour payer une pension alimentaire pour enfants. C’est à bon droit que la juge saisie de la motion a conclu que le revenu de dividendes constituait une source de revenu disponible pour M. C. et elle le lui a attribué à cette fin. D. L’intersection entre la communication des renseignements financiers, le compo