R. v. Landry, 2020 NBCA 72
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 40-20-CA HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN APPELLANT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE APPELANTE - and - - et - PIER-PAUL LANDRY RESPONDENT PIER-PAUL LANDRY INTIMÉ R. v. Landry, 2020 NBCA 72 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlond R. c.
Landry, 2020 NBCA 72 CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 6, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 6 avril 2020 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: October 29, 2020 Appel entendu : le 29 octobre 2020
Judgment rendered: October 29, 2020 Reasons delivered: January 21, 2021 Jugement rendu : le 29 octobre 2020 Motifs déposés : le 21 janvier 2021 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Patrick McGuinty For the respondent: J. Denis Boudreau, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Patrick McGuinty Pour l’intimé : J. Denis Boudreau, c.r.
THE COURT On October 29, 2020, leave to appeal was denied with reasons to follow. These are the reasons. LA COUR L’autorisation d’appel a été refusée le 29 octobre 2020, avec motifs à suivre. Voici ces motifs. Le jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE LEBLOND I. Introduction [ 1 ] Pier-Paul Landry a été condamné en première instance pour avoir conduit un véhicule à moteur alors qu’il était sous l’influence d’une quantité d’alcool supérieure au niveau prescrit par l’ al. 253b) du Code criminel , dans la version alors en vigueur de cette disposition.
L’incident qui nous occupe remonte au 2 décembre 2017. [ 2 ] L’appel de M. Landry à la Cour d’appel en matière de poursuites
sommaires a été accueilli et un acquittement inscrit. Le juge a conclu que le droit de M. Landry, garanti par l’al. 10
b) de la Charte , d’avoir recours sans délai à l’assistance d’un avocat au moment de son arrestation avait été violé par le policier enquêteur et que la preuve de son taux d’alcoolémie, obtenue en violation de ce droit, devait être écartée en application du par. 24(2) de la Charte .
[ 3 ] Comme je l’explique plus loin, les faits de l’espèce exposent au grand jour la pratique habituelle du policier selon laquelle il a empêché M. Landry de se prévaloir de son droit d’avoir recours à l’assistance d’un avocat sur les lieux de l’arrestation, malgré les directives claires et bien connues de la Cour suprême du Canada à cet effet, lesquelles remontent à plus de trente-trois ans et ont été reprises dans plusieurs décisions de notre Cour, notamment dans Couturier c.
R. , 2004 NBCA 91 , 277 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 311 . [ 4 ] À la fin de l’audience devant notre Cour, je me suis joint à mes collègues pour refuser la demande en autorisation d’appel du procureur général, avec motifs à suivre. L’affaire concerne non seulement l’interprétation et l’application de l’al. 10
b) et du par. 24(2) de la Charte , mais également l’incidence de la mise en garde de type Prosper sur le droit constitutionnel de M. Landry dans les circonstances de l’espèce. [ 5 ] Pour ce qui est de la mise en application du droit consacré à l’al. 10 b ), j’ose espérer que le signal très clair que la Cour a envoyé dans Couturier et redonne dans les présents motifs sera bien compris. II. Le contexte factuel [ 6 ] Les faits déterminés par le juge du procès ne sont généralement pas en cause et la plupart ont été repris par le juge d’appel en matière de poursuites
sommaires. Bien que la plupart de ces faits ne soient pas en cause, l’importance relative de certains d’entre eux mérite une analyse approfondie. Afin d’éviter les répétitions, je me contente à ce stade-ci de résumer les faits pour les reprendre en détail dans l’analyse qui suivra. [ 7 ] Le 2 décembre 2017, à 2 h 48, M. Landry est intercepté au volant de son véhicule à moteur à Inkerman Ferry, au Nouveau-Brunswick, par le gendarme Kalbarczyk. Le policier détecte une odeur d’alcool sur l’haleine de M. Landry, qui admet avoir consommé de l’alcool.
L’ordre est alors donné de fournir un échantillon d’haleine dans un appareil de détection approuvé. [ 8 ] Selon le témoignage du policier, M. Landry refuse de descendre de son véhicule à moteur et demande qu’on lui donne une chance. Ce n’est qu’après avoir reçu trois ordres de sortir et un avertissement de son arrestation éventuelle pour entrave à un agent de la paix que M. Landry obéit à l’ordre de l’agent. [ 9 ] M. Landry a son téléphone cellulaire en main. Le policier lui demande de le laisser dans son véhicule, sinon il devra le saisir.
Selon l’agent, puisque le téléphone était protégé par un étui rigide, il s’agissait d’une mesure de sécurité. [ 10 ] Selon le policier, M. Landry a reçu l’ordre à 2 h 55 de se soumettre au test de dépistage et, entre 3 h et 3 h 10, il y a cinq tentatives où, en dépit des directives qu’il a reçues, il ne souffle pas convenablement dans l’appareil. [ 11 ] Le policier explique à M. Landry les conséquences de refuser l’ordre et, cette fois, à la sixième tentative, il fournit un échantillon suffisant qui produit le résultat [TRADUCTION] « Échec ».
Ce résultat donne au policier les motifs requis pour le mettre sous arrestation. [ 12 ] Les événements qui suivent sont les plus importants pour l’analyse des moyens d’appel. Je les résume ici pour indiquer que c’est à 3 h 15 que le policier a informé M. Landry de ses droits constitutionnels, y inclus le droit au recours sans délai à l’assistance d’un avocat, établi à l’al. 10 b ). M. Landry répond qu’il a un avocat et veut le consulter immédiatement. [ 13 ] Dans l’analyse des faits qui suit, je commente le refus du policier de permettre à M. Landry de communiquer avec son avocat avant d’arriver au poste.
Je poursuis mon analyse en recensant les tentatives faites au poste entre 3 h 40 et 4 h 33 pour communiquer avec un avocat et l’incidence de la mise en garde de type Prosper donnée à M. Landry à 4 h 34, avant que le technicien qualifié ne le prenne en charge à 4 h 38 pour prélever ses échantillons d’haleine. [ 14 ] Avant l’instruction, M. Landry a déposé une requête pour que le juge traite au préalable, dans le contexte d’un voir-dire, de la violation alléguée de l’al. 10
b) dans son rapport avec l’admissibilité en preuve du certificat d’analyse. Les parties s’étaient
entendues sur le fait que l’affidavit de M. Landry à l’appui de la requête serait versé en preuve et que ce dernier serait contraint d’être contre-interrogé sur son affidavit, le cas échéant. Les juges des instances inférieures ont tous deux noté les faits additionnels suivants tirés de l’affidavit : 1. Lorsque M. Landry a été informé de son droit de consulter sans délai un avocat sur les lieux de l’arrestation, il a immédiatement exprimé le désir de communiquer avec son avocat, mais le policier lui a dit qu’il devait attendre son arrivée au poste pour le faire; 2.
Contrairement au témoignage ultérieur du policier, M. Landry dépose que le policier l’a informé qu’il n’avait d’autre choix que de fournir ses échantillons d’haleine dans les deux heures suivant son arrestation sous peine de conséquences pénales en cas de refus et qu’il pourrait parler avec son avocat par la suite. Il déclare que c’est dans ce contexte qu’il a fourni les échantillons. III. Moyens d’appel [ 15 ] Le procureur général soulève deux moyens d’appel alléguant des erreurs de droit dans l’interprétation et l’application des dispositions suivantes de la Charte :
a) l’al. 10 b ), portant sur le droit d’avoir recours sans délai à un avocat;
b) le par. 24(2), pour ce qui est de l’exclusion du certificat du technicien qualifié indiquant le taux d’alcoolémie de M. Landry. IV. Norme de contrôle [ 16 ] Dans la mesure où les deux moyens soulèvent des questions d’interprétation législative, celles-ci sont soumises au contrôle selon la norme de la décision correcte : R. c. McKenna , 2020 NBCA 71 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 260 (QL) . [ 17 ] En général, la déférence est accordée au juge du procès en ce qui concerne ses conclusions sur le par. 24(2).
Cependant, si le juge du procès détermine qu’il n’y a eu aucune violation de la Charte ou s’il omet d’appliquer les facteurs Grant , la norme de contrôle est la décision correcte. En l’occurrence, parce que le juge du procès a commis une erreur en concluant qu’il n’y avait pas eu violation de l’al. 10
b) et qu’il n’a donc fait aucune analyse à savoir si la preuve devait être écartée, la cour siégeant en appel doit déterminer cette question ( R. c. Grant , 2009 CSC 32 , [2009] 2 R.C.S. 353 , par. 86 ; R. c. Le , 2019 CSC 34 , [2019] A.C.S. n o 34 (QL) ). V. Analyse A. L’alinéa 10b) [ 18 ] Voici le texte de l’alinéa 10 b ) : Arrest or detention 10. Everyone has the right on arrest or detention (
b) to retain and instruct counsel without delay and to be informed of that right[.] Arrestation ou détention 10. Chacun a le droit, en cas d’arrestation ou de détention :
b) d’avoir recours sans délai à l’assistance d’un avocat et d’être informé de ce droit[.]
[19] Comme je l’ai indiqué dans mes observations d’ouverture, la jurisprudence ne peut être plus claire sur laquestion du moment où un accusé peut se prévaloir de son droit d’avoir recours à un avocat. Le droit est d’application immédiate suivantla mise en arrestation et la lecture des droits constitutionnels, dans la mesure où les circonstances le permettent. Aucun élément depreuve ne peut être recueilli avant que le droit ne soit exercé. La Cour suprême du Canada a clairement énoncé dans R. c.
Manninen, (SCC), [1987] 1 R.C.S. 1233, [1987] A.C.S. no 41 (QL), que le policier est obligé de permettre au détenu d’utiliser touttéléphone disponible. En l’occurrence, M. Landry était en droit d’utiliser son téléphone cellulaire pour tenter de joindre son avocat, maisle policier le lui a refusé. Il est allé jusqu’à menacer M. Landry de saisir son téléphone cellulaire s’il ne le laissait pas dans sa voiture.Dans l’arrêt Manninen, la Cour suprême cite Regina c. Dombrowski (1985), (SK CA), 18 C.C.C. (3d) 164, [1985] S.J.No. 951 (QL) (C.A.
Sask.), décision dans laquelle la Cour d’appel de la Saskatchewan a conclu que rien ne justifie que la police insistepour que le droit ne puisse être exercé qu’à l’arrivée au poste de police. [20] La raison pour laquelle l’exercice du droit doit être permis dès que possible vise à réaliser l’objectif premier del’al. 10b), celui d’éviter l’incrimination involontaire. L’objectif n’est atteint que lorsque le détenu est en mesure de recevoir des conseils juridiques (R. c. Sinclair, 2010 CSC 35, [2010] 2 R.C.S. 310; R. c.
Bartle, (SCC), [1994] 3 R.C.S. 173, [1994] A.C.S. no 74 (QL)). [21] Cette jurisprudence a été suivie partout au Canada, tout comme par notre Cour dans Couturier. [22] Un des facteurs qui ressort du contexte factuel de l’espèce est relié aux efforts d’un détenu de joindre l’avocatde son choix. Dans R. c. Willier, 2010 CSC 37, [2010] 2 R.C.S. 429, la Cour suprême s’est penchée sur la question de savoir si le droitconsacré à l’al. 10b) donne au détenu le droit de consulter l’avocat de son choix.
La Cour a conclu que, si l’avocat choisi par un détenune peut être disponible dans un délai raisonnable et si le détenu a la possibilité de consulter un avocat de garde par l’intermédiaire del’aide juridique, la consultation de l’avocat de garde par le détenu après ce délai raisonnable ne porte pas atteinte au droit consacré à l’al.10b). Les termes soulignés revêtent une certaine importance dans le contexte qui nous occupe comme je l’expliquerai plus loin.
Notons,pour le moment, que le détenu a toujours l’obligation de faire preuve de diligence raisonnable dans ses tentatives de joindre un avocat dans la mesure, bien entendu, où le policier le permet : R. c. Black, (SCC), [1989] 2 R.C.S. 138, [1989] A.C.S. no 81(QL). [23] Ce qui compte, en l’espèce, c’est qu’un délai raisonnable doit s’être écoulé dans l’attente d’un appel de l’avocatchoisi, et ce délai dépendra des circonstances particulières de chaque cas. Cela m’amène donc à l’analyse des circonstances auxquellesM.
Landry était confronté. [24] Les événements importants commencent à 3 h 15, au moment où le policier fait la lecture à M. Landry de sesdroits constitutionnels. Je rappelle que, jusqu’alors, le policier a refusé que M. Landry garde son téléphone cellulaire en main. Il indiqueau policier avoir compris ses droits et vouloir consulter son avocat sans délai en utilisant son téléphone cellulaire. On ne lui accordeaucun moyen de faire respecter son droit de consultation. Le policier lui dit qu’il devra attendre son arrivée au poste pour faire son appelà partir du téléphone désigné à cette fin.
Ce refus initial constituait donc la première violation de l’al. 10b). Il y a eu une deuxièmeviolation du droit consacré à cet alinéa, comme je l’explique plus loin. [25] L’arrivée au poste a lieu à 3 h 40 et la première tentative de joindre un avocat est faite à 3 h 45. Il s’est doncécoulé, après l’arrestation, trente minutes durant lesquelles M. Landry est demeuré dans l’impossibilité d’exercer son droit. [26] À 3 h 45, c’est le policier qui compose le numéro de Me Frederic Mallet à la demande de M. Landry.
Le policier compose le numéro du cabinet de Me Mallet et, comme l’on pouvait s’y attendre, étant donné l’heure de la nuit, Me Mallet ne répond pas. M. Landry a déjà inscrit le numéro personnel de Me Mallet dans l’annuaire de son cellulaire, mais il n’y a toujours pas accès.Il en informe le policier, qui, à 3 h 55, demande à l’un de ses collègues d’aller chercher le cellulaire. Rien dans le dossier n’expliquepourquoi le policier a soudainement changé d’avis quant à l’usage que M.
Landry pouvait alors faire de son cellulaire. [27] En attendant qu’on lui apporte le cellulaire, le policier persiste à téléphoner Me Mallet à son cabinet, mais sesappels demeurent sans réponse. [28] Le cellulaire n’est remis à M. Landry qu’à 4 h 13, presque une heure après le moment de l’arrestation. À 4 h 14, le policier compose le numéro personnel de Me Mallet en utilisant le combiné du poste mais n’obtient pas de réponse. Il laisse le
message à M e Mallet de le rappeler. [ 29 ] À 4 h 16, le policier tente une deuxième fois de joindre M e Mallet à son numéro personnel au moyen du téléphone du poste. Il ne réussit pas, mais, cette fois, c’est M. Landry qui laisse le message à son avocat. [ 30 ] M. Landry indique par la suite que M e Mallet pouvait être à l’étranger et demande de communiquer avec M e Charles LeBlanc, c.r. Le policier compose le numéro du cabinet de M e LeBlanc et obtient un message du répondeur indiquant que le bureau sera fermé jusqu’au 7 décembre. [ 31 ] M.
Landry repère dans son cellulaire le numéro à domicile de M e Denis Boudreau. Le policier appelle ce dernier, toujours au moyen de l’appareil du poste. Il n’obtient pas de réponse et laisse un message à 4 h 22. [ 32 ] À 4 h 27, M. Landry tente de joindre M e Boudreau en composant le numéro de cellulaire de ce dernier, toujours à partir du téléphone du poste. M e Boudreau ne répond pas, et M. Landry lui laisse le message de le rappeler. [ 33 ] C’est à la suite de cet appel que le policer suggère à M. Landry de parler avec un avocat de l’aide juridique. M.
Landry accepte, à condition de pouvoir parler avec M e Luc Roy, qu’il connaît bien. Le policier compose le numéro de l’aide juridique à 4 h 30, soit trois minutes seulement après l’appel de M. Landry au numéro de cellulaire de M e Boudreau. Le répartiteur du bureau de l’aide juridique qui répond à l’appel indique au policier que M e Lise Landry est l’avocate de garde à ce moment-là. M. Landry ne la connaît pas et refuse de lui parler. Cependant, rien dans le dossier n’indique que le répartiteur a joint M e Landry. On ne sait pas si M.
Landry aurait été en mesure de lui parler s’il l’avait voulu. [ 34 ] Toujours à 4 h 30, le policier tente en vain de joindre M e Roy. Le dossier n’indique pas le numéro composé lors de cette tentative. [ 35 ] Trois minutes plus tard, à 4 h 33, M. Landry compose pour la première fois les numéros personnels de M e Mallet et de M e Boudreau de son cellulaire. Il ne réussit pas à les joindre. [ 36 ] Finalement, il importe de noter que trois tentatives additionnelles de joindre des avocats choisis par M. Landry sont faites dans les trois minutes qui ont suivi l’appel à l’aide juridique de 4 h 30.
C’est néanmoins dans ce contexte qu’à 4 h 34 le policier décide de faire la lecture de la mise en garde de type Prosper à M. Landry. Cette mise en garde ne doit être donnée que lorsqu’un détenu change d’avis et renonce à son droit à l’assistance d’un avocat ou ne répond pas clairement au policier. Ni l’une ni l’autre de ces éventualités ne s’appliquait alors. M. Landry n’a jamais renoncé à son droit et, qui plus est, il ignorait complètement l’effet juridique de la mise en garde de type Prosper .
J’explique l’importance de cette conjoncture en débutant avec le texte de la mise en garde qui lui a été lu : On vous a déjà informé de votre droit de communiquer avec l’avocat de service ou un autre avocat. Vous avez clairement indiqué que vous vouliez parler à un avocat, mais vous avez changé d’avis (ou vous ne m’avez pas indiqué clairement si vous voulez parler à un avocat). Vous avez droit à une possibilité raisonnable de communiquer avec un avocat pour obtenir des conseils, et avant d’obtenir des preuves auprès de vous, je suis obligé d’attendre que vous exerciez ce droit ou y renonciez.
Voulez-vous renoncer à votre droit de communiquer avec l’avocat de service ou un autre avocat ? [C’est moi qui souligne.] [ 37 ] Selon le témoignage du policier, M. Landry répond : « Je ne renonce pas, mais que veux-tu que je fasse? » [ 38 ] J’ai souligné certaines parties de la mise en garde pour illustrer un point important. La mise en garde ne fait
aucune référence aux tentatives entreprises jusqu’au moment où elle a été lue et exprime tout simplement à M. Landry que le droit quelui confère l’al. 10b) de la Charte subsiste et qu’il continue d’avoir la possibilité raisonnable de communiquer avec un avocat. Tout ceque M.
Landry doit comprendre de la mise en garde, c’est que le policier lui dit, à 4 h 34, qu’il a toujours la possibilité raisonnabled’exercer son droit et que le policier doit attendre qu’il le fasse avant d’obtenir, en l’occurrence, des échantillons de son haleine. [39] De plus, dans la conversation qui a immédiatement suivi la lecture de la mise en garde, selon le témoignage dupolicier, ce dernier aurait avisé M. Landry qu’il n’était pas contraint par le temps d’entrer en communication avec l’avocat mais qu’ildevait agir de façon diligente. Dans l’esprit de M.
Landry, cet échange ne pouvait faire autrement que renforcer le message communiquépar la mise en garde, et il n’y avait donc aucune urgence immédiate. Il n’y a aucune preuve indiquant que le policier aurait dit à M. Landry qu’il pouvait avoir manqué de diligence en refusant d’examiner la possibilité de parler avec Me Lise Landry. Mais M. Landryapprend pour la première fois que, même s’il n’y a pas de délai pour exercer le droit, il doit agir avec diligence. [40] La Cour suprême a affirmé très clairement, dans R. c.
Ross, (SCC), [1989] 1 R.C.S. 3, [1989] A.C.S. no 2 (QL), que « [l]a diligence raisonnable dans l’exercice du droit de choisir son avocat dépend de la situation dans laquelle setrouve l’accusé ou le détenu » (p. 11). Or, dans la présente affaire, le policier ne permet pas à M. Landry d’exercer, dans un délairaisonnable, le droit qu’il vient de lui accorder et lui dit plutôt qu’il n’y a plus rien à faire. À 4 h 38, quatre minutes seulement aprèsavoir reçu la mise en garde du policier, M.
Landry est pris en charge par le technicien qualifié. [41] Dans sa décision, le juge du procès affirme ne pas comprendre pourquoi le policier aurait lu la mise en gardede type Prosper à M. Landry alors que celui-ci n’avait aucunement renoncé à son droit. Toutefois, le juge a conclu que cette mise engarde n’avait aucune importance puisque, avant qu’on lui en fasse la lecture, M. Landry s’était déjà vu accorder « une possibilitéraisonnable de consulter un avocat et que celui-ci n’avait pas fait preuve de diligence dans l’exercice de son droit » (par. 37).
À monavis, cette affirmation est déraisonnable puisque, d’une part, elle n’est pas étayée par la preuve et, d’autre part, elle découlemanifestement de l’inférence tirée par le juge selon laquelle la mise en garde, peu importe les circonstances dans lesquelles elle a été lue,n’a eu aucune incidence sur la position juridique de M. Landry. J’ai déjà établi que l’inverse s’était produit et, par conséquent, un constatjuridique erroné ne commande aucune déférence. [42] Pour sa part, le juge d’appel en matière de poursuites
sommaires déclare tout simplement que la mise en garden’était pas nécessaire, mais que, de toute façon, elle précisait à M. Landry son droit de communiquer avec un avocat (par. 79). Par contre,il dit accepter la décision du juge du procès selon laquelle M. Landry a manqué à son obligation de diligence et, vu ce manque dediligence, le policier était en droit de mettre fin aux tentatives de communiquer avec un avocat (par. 80). [43] Avec égard pour le juge d’appel, il ignore, lui aussi, l’effet juridique du message contenu dans la mise en gardedans le contexte que j’ai élaboré.
Il est clair que le policier a commis une erreur en lisant la mise en garde de type Prosper, mais le faitqu’il l’a lue, dans le contexte de la présente affaire, ne pouvait faire autrement que renforcer, dans l’esprit de M. Landry, son droit depoursuivre ses tentatives de joindre un avocat. Cependant, étant donné le très court laps de temps écoulé entre la lecture de la mise engarde et la prise en charge de M. Landry par le technicien qualifié, il y a eu une seconde violation du droit de M. Landry à l’assistanced’un avocat. [44] La mise en garde de type Prosper découle de la décision de la Cour suprême dans R. c.
Prosper, (SCC), [1994] 3 R.C.S. 236, [1994] A.C.S. no 72 (QL), où le juge en chef Lamer, au nom de la majorité, écrivait ceci : […] l’existence de services d’avocats de garde peut avoir des conséquences sur ce qui constitue, pour une personne détenue, une« diligence raisonnable » à se prévaloir du droit à l’assistance d’un avocat, ce qui influera ensuite sur la durée de la période pendantlaquelle les autorités de l’État sont, en vertu des obligations de mise en application visées à l’al. 10b), tenues de « surseoir » à toutemesure pour soutirer à cette personne des éléments de preuve incriminants. […] […] […] j’estime qu’il y aura naissance d’une obligation d’information supplémentaire de la part de la police dès que la personne détenue,qui a déjà manifesté son intention de se prévaloir de son droit à l’assistance d’un avocat, indique qu’elle a changé d’avis et qu’elle nedésire plus obtenir de conseils juridiques.
À ce moment, la police sera tenue de l’informer de son droit d’avoir une possibilité raisonnablede communiquer avec un avocat et de l’obligation de la police, au cours de cette période, de s’abstenir, tant que la personne n’aura paseu cette possibilité raisonnable de prendre toute déposition ou d’exiger qu’elle participe à quelque processus qui pourrait éventuellementêtre incriminant. Grâce à cette exigence supplémentaire en matière d’information imposée à la police, la personne détenue qui maintientqu’elle veut renoncer à son droit à l’assistance d’un avocat saura ce à quoi elle renonce. [p. 269 et 274]
[45] Si le policier a vraiment voulu affirmer que M. Landry avait renoncé à son droit, il devait clairement l’établir.Or, c’est tout à fait le contraire qui s’est produit. Je cite un autre extrait de Prosper : Compte tenu de l’importance du droit à l’assistance d’un avocat, j’ajouterais à l’égard de la renonciation que, dès lors qu’une personnedétenue a fait valoir son droit, il faut qu’elle donne par la suite une indication claire qu’elle a changé d’avis, et il appartiendra auministère public d’établir qu’elle y a clairement renoncé: Ross, aux pp. 11 et 12.
En outre, la renonciation doit être libre et volontaire etelle ne doit pas avoir été donnée sous la contrainte, directe ou indirecte. Notre Cour a indiqué à maintes reprises que la norme requisepour établir l’existence d’une renonciation au droit à l’assistance d’un avocat est très stricte: Clarkson c.
La Reine, (SCC), [1986] 1 R.C.S. 383, Manninen, et Evans. […] [p. 274 et 275] [46] Le policier a témoigné que le moment de la prise en charge par le technicien qualifié n’avait aucunement étéinfluencé par la limite de deux heures, entre l’arrestation et la prise des échantillons, reliée à la présomption d’origine législative dudegré d’alcoolémie établi par le certificat d’analyse de l’éthylomètre.
Il demeure toutefois que, quatre minutes seulement après la lecturede la mise en garde, la prise en charge a lieu et le premier échantillon d’haleine est prélevé à 4 h 45, soit une heure et trente minutesaprès l’arrestation. Il restait trente minutes avant l’expiration du délai accordé pour bénéficier de la présomption. Il est donc difficiled’expliquer la décision du policier de priver de façon si précipitée M. Landry de son droit, surtout que le policier venait de lui dire qu’iln’était pas tenu d’exercer son droit dans un délai fixe à condition de faire preuve de diligence raisonnable.
Certes, la perte de laprésomption ne pouvait l’emporter sur le droit de M. Landry.
Le juge en chef Lamer a confirmé ce principe dans Prosper : […] lorsqu’il s’agit d’affaires de conduite avec facultés affaiblies, je suis convaincu que l’existence d’une présomption en matière depreuve à l’égard des échantillons pris dans les deux heures que peut invoquer le ministère public en vertu du sous-al. 258(1)c)(ii) duCode ne constitue pas en soi une circonstance pressante ou urgente. […] [p. 275] [47] Je confirmerais donc la décision du juge d’appel dans laquelle il a conclu à la violation du droit garanti parl’al. 10b) de la Charte mais, sans décider s’il pouvait être remédié plus tard à cette violation, je conclus à la violation du droit pour lesmotifs élaborés ci-dessus.
Je rejetterais donc ce premier moyen d’appel. B. Le paragraphe 24(2) [48] Le par. 24(2) de la Charte dispose : Enforcement of guaranteed rights andfreedoms
(2) Where, in proceedings undersubsection (1), a court concludes thatevidence was obtained in a manner thatinfringed or denied any rights or freedomsguaranteed by this Charter, the evidence shallbe excluded if it is established that, havingregard to all the circumstances, the admissionof it in the proceedings would bring theadministration of justice into disrepute.
Recours en cas d’atteinte aux droits etlibertés (2) Lorsque, dans une instance visée auparagraphe (1), le tribunal a conclu que deséléments de preuve ont été obtenus dans desconditions qui portent atteinte aux droits oulibertés garantis par la présente charte, ceséléments de preuve sont écartés s’il est établi,eu égard aux circonstances, que leurutilisation est susceptible de déconsidérerl’administration de la justice. [49] L’arrêt de principe qui régit l’interprétation et l’application du par. 24(2) est Grant.
Dans cet arrêt, la Coursuprême met l’accent sur l’appréciation de l’effet à long terme de l’utilisation d’éléments de preuve sur la considération globale dontjouit le système judiciaire. L’analyse est objective : une personne raisonnable, au fait de l’ensemble des circonstances et des valeurssous-jacentes de la Charte, conclurait-elle que l’utilisation des éléments de preuve en question serait susceptible de déconsidérerl’administration de la justice? [50] Le par. 24(2) a également une composante prospective en ce sens que l’analyse débute avec le constat de la
violation de la Charte et vise à déterminer si la preuve ainsi obtenue déconsidère davantage le système de justice. L’analyse se fait entrois volets : 1. La gravité de la mauvaise conduite de l’État – Plus les gestes des forces de l’ordre sont graves et délibérés, plus la cour doit s’endissocier en écartant la preuve ainsi obtenue. L’État doit se conformer à la primauté du droit afin d’assurer la confiance du public. 2.
L’incidence ou la portée réelle de la violation sur les droits de l’accusé –Dans quelle mesure la violation du droit a-t-elle empiétésur l’intérêt de l’accusé de faire un choix libre et éclairé? 3.
L’intérêt de la société à ce que l’affaire soit jugée sur le fond – La recherche de la vérité au procès sera-t-elle mieux servie avec ousans la preuve selon son degré de fiabilité par rapport à son importance pour la cause du ministère public? [51] Après l’examen de ces trois volets, le juge doit en faire une analyse globale en les mettant en balance pourdéterminer, eu égard aux circonstances de l’affaire, si l’utilisation de la preuve est susceptible de déconsidérer l’administration de lajustice.
La mise en balance consiste donc à déterminer si une preuve fiable, recueillie par suite d’une violation d’un droit, même commisede bonne foi, porte gravement atteinte au droit de l’accusé. Dans ce cas, elle doit être écarté.
Dans le cas contraire, elle peut être admise.Par ailleurs, si la conduite de l’État est délibérée et inacceptable et porte substantiellement atteinte au droit protégé, la preuve ainsiobtenue devrait être écartée, nonobstant sa fiabilité. [52] Dans l’affaire Le, la Cour suprême fait remarquer que le critère applicable oblige le juge à s’intéresser nonpas à l’incidence de l’inconduite policière sur le procès, mais plutôt à la considération globale dont jouit le système judiciaire, vue à longterme par la personne raisonnable au fait de l’ensemble des circonstances pertinentes et de l’importance du droit violé.
C’est la somme,et non la moyenne, de la gravité de l’inconduite et de son incidence sur les droits de l’accusé qui détermine si la balance des trois voletspenche en faveur de l’exclusion. [53] Bien avant l’arrêt Grant, la Cour suprême s’était prononcée ainsi dans l’arrêt Bartle, sur l’interprétation dupar. 24(2), et ses observations demeurent pertinentes : Le paragraphe 24(2) de la Charte est ainsi conçu: 24. […]
(2) Lorsque [...] le tribunal a conclu que deséléments de preuve ont été obtenus dans des conditions quiportent atteinte aux droits ou libertés garantis par laprésente charte, ces éléments de preuve sont écartés s’ilest établi, eu égard aux circonstances, que leur utilisationest susceptible de déconsidérer l’administration de lajustice. Deux conditions doivent être remplies pour que des éléments de preuve puissent être écartés conformément au par. 24(2): Strachan, lejuge en chef Dickson, à la p. 1000, et R. c.
Therens, (SCC), [1985] 1 R.C.S. 613, le juge Le Dain, à la p. 648.Premièrement, il faut qu’il y ait eu violation de la Charte à l’occasion de l’obtention des éléments de preuve. Deuxièmement, le tribunaldoit conclure qu’eu égard aux circonstances, l’utilisation des éléments de preuve est susceptible de déconsidérer l’administration de lajustice. Ce qu’exige d’abord la première condition, c’est qu’il y ait un lien ou un rapport quelconque entre la violation du droit ou de la liberté enquestion et l’obtention de la preuve que la demande vise à faire écarter.
Toutefois, il n’est pas nécessaire d’établir l’existence d’un lienstrict de causalité entre la violation de la Charte et la découverte des éléments de preuve: Therens, le juge Le Dain, à la p. 649; Strachan,le juge en chef Dickson, aux pp. 1000 à 1006 et le juge Lamer (maintenant Juge en chef), à la p. 1009; et Brydges, à la p. 210.
De façongénérale, s’ils ne sont pas trop éloignés de la violation, tous les éléments de preuve obtenus pendant la « suite des événements » qui serapportent à la violation de la Charte sont visés par le par. 24(2): Strachan, le juge en chef Dickson, à la p. 1006, et le juge Lamer, à lap. 1009. Cela signifie que les tribunaux doivent adopter une approche libérale relativement à la première étape de l’examen prévu au par.
24(2) quant à savoir si des éléments de preuve ont été « obtenus dans des conditions qui portent atteinte » aux droits garantis par laCharte. Cependant, il ne faut pas oublier que l’existence et la force du lien de causalité entre les éléments de preuve et la violation de laCharte peuvent être des facteurs à prendre en considération en vertu du second volet, plus important, du par. 24(2): Strachan, le juge enchef Dickson, à la p. 1006; et R. c. I. (L.R.) et T. (E.) (SCC), [1993] 4 R.C.S. 504, le juge Sopinka, à la p. 530.
En l’espèce, je suis convaincu que les éléments de preuve fournis par l’alcootest ainsi que la déclaration auto-incriminante ont étéobtenus dans le contexte de la violation du droit de l’appelant à l’assistance d’un avocat garanti par l’al. 10b) et que, par conséquent, ilsremplissent la première condition posée par le par. 24(2). L’analyse doit porter ensuite sur la seconde étape de l’examen prévu au par. 24(2), qui consiste à déterminer si, eu égard auxcirconstances, l’utilisation des éléments de preuve serait susceptible de déconsidérer l’administration de la justice.
Pour décider de cepoint, le tribunal doit soupeser des facteurs touchant l’effet de leur utilisation sur l’équité du procès, la gravité de la violation et l’effet del’exclusion sur la considération dont jouit l’administration de la justice: R. c. Collins, (SCC), [1987] 1 R.C.S. 265, auxpp. 284 à 286. La charge de persuasion générale, au regard du par. 24(2), incombe à la
partie qui demande que des éléments de preuvesoient écartés: Collins, à la p. 280; R. c. Simmons, (SCC), [1988] 2 R.C.S. 495, le juge en chef Dickson, à la p. 532; et R.c. Duarte, (SCC), [1990] 1 R.C.S. 30, à la p. 59. Celui qui demande la réparation prévue au par. 24(2) assume donc lacharge ultime de démontrer au tribunal suivant la prépondérance des probabilités que l’utilisation des éléments de preuve risque dedéconsidérer l’administration de la justice. [p. 208 et 209] C. L’application au cas d’espèce de l’analyse en trois volets énoncée dans Grant [54] Je ne répéterai pas les faits et circonstances qui sous-tendent l’application de chacun des trois volets, sauf en résumé.
i) La gravité de la conduite attentatoire de l’État [55] Deux aspects sont à noter par rapport à ce volet :
a) la pratique habituelle du policer de ne pas permettre l’accès à l’assistance de l’avocat sur les lieux de l’arrestation et le fait d’obligerM. Landry d’attendre son arrivée au poste pour se prévaloir de son droit;
b) la deuxième pratique, également habituelle selon le témoignage du policier, qui consiste à faire la lecture de la mise en garde detype Prosper dans tous les cas, même lorsque le détenu n’a pas renoncé à son droit à l’assistance d’un avocat, de sorte que, en ce quiconcerne M.
Landry, on l’a probablement induit en erreur quant à sa possibilité de continuer à exercer son droit sans lui accorder un délairaisonnable pour qu’il le fasse. [56] Dans l’affaire Le, la Cour suprême établit que, pour que l’inconduite soit excusée au motif qu’elle a étécommise de bonne foi, l’État doit démontrer que le policier s’est acquitté de ses obligations d’une manière compatible avec ce qu’ilcroyait subjectivement, raisonnablement et de façon non négligente être la loi.
Dans la présente affaire, le policier a déclaré avoir agiconformément à sa pratique habituelle, mais rien n’indique qu’il a adopté une conduite qu’il croyait être imposée par la loi.
Je ne peuxconcevoir que la GRC, avec toutes ses ressources et ses moyens de communiquer avec ses membres, n’aurait pas alerté ces derniers àpropos de la conduite qu’ils sont tenus d’adopter, surtout à la lumière du fait que la conduite attendue a été établie par la plus hauteinstance judiciaire du Canada il y a plus de trente ans. [57] Je ne peux que reprendre les observations de notre Cour dans Couturier selon lesquelles un membre des forcesde l’ordre qui s’adonne à des pratiques habituelles du genre témoigne d’une conduite attentatoire très grave. La Cour doit s’en dissocier ànouveau.
Pour ces motifs, ce premier volet penche, en définitive, en faveur de l’exclusion du certificat d’analyse. ii) L’incidence de la violation sur le droit de M. Landry
[58] La portée réelle de l’atteinte au droit de M. Landry a déjà été discutée. Il y a eu deux violations de l’al. 10b).L’ampleur des conséquences qui en découlent ne peut être sous-estimée dans les circonstances de l’espèce.
Je ne peux faire mieux à cetégard que de reprendre les propos tenus par le juge en chef Lamer dans l’arrêt Bartle : Bien que l’éventail des conseils juridiques susceptibles d’être donnés dans le contexte de la conduite avec facultés affaiblies soitnécessairement limité, il faut tenir compte du fait que notre Cour a dit clairement dans le passé que, si le droit à l’assistance d’un avocat aété violé, il ne convient pas de conjecturer sur la nature des conseils qu’une personne détenue aurait reçus et sur la question de savoir siles éléments de preuve auraient été découverts si le droit n’avait pas été violé: Strachan, le juge en chef Dickson, à la p. 1002, et Elshaw,aux pp. 43 et 44. [p. 216 et 217] [59] Ce deuxième volet fait également pencher la balance en faveur de l’exclusion. iii) L’intérêt de la société à ce que l’affaire soit jugée sur le fond [60] Bien que ce troisième volet milite souvent en faveur de l’inclusion de la preuve, la Cour suprême, dans l’affaireLe, note qu’il ne doit pas devenir une simple formalité même si l’ensemble de la preuve est fiable et essentielle à la cause du ministèrepublic.
En l’occurrence, personne ne doute de la fiabilité du certificat d’analyse.
La société a intérêt à veiller à ce que ceux quitransgressent la loi soient traduits en justice et traités selon la loi (Grant, par. 79). Toutefois, l’analyse faite au regard de ce volet ne selimite pas à ces seules considérations. [61] L’admissibilité sans plus d’une preuve fiable, peu importe le parcours de son obtention, est incompatible avecle libellé du par. 24(2).
Le public veut la recherche de la vérité, d’où l’importance de ce facteur dans l’analyse de ce volet. [62] Ce n’est pas la perception immédiate de l’appareil judiciaire qu’a le public en relation avec l’exclusion d’unepreuve qui compte, mais, je le répète, « […] c’est la considération dont il jouit à long terme qui importe pour l’application du par. 24(2)[…]. La clameur publique immédiate exigeant une condamnation ne doit pas faire perdre de vue au juge appelé à appliquer le par. 24(2)la réputation à plus long terme du système de justice.
En outre, si la gravité d’une infraction accroît l’intérêt du public à ce qu’il y ait unjugement au fond, l’intérêt du public en l’irréprochabilité du système de justice n’est pas moins vital, particulièrement lorsque l’accuséencourt de lourdes conséquences pénales » (Grant, par. 84). [63] Cependant, et nonobstant les considérations qui pourraient militer en faveur de l’exclusion du certificatd’analyse sans ce troisième volet énoncé dans Grant, le fait demeure que le degré de fiabilité du certificat d’analyse par rapport à sonimportance pour la cause du ministère public n’est pas contesté.
Par conséquent, l’intérêt de la société à ce que l’affaire soit jugée sur lefond dans le contexte limité de ce volet milite donc en faveur de l’inclusion. iv) Mise en balance des trois volets [64] L’analyse globale que vise la mise en balance des trois volets énoncés dans Grant est objective. Il fautrechercher si la preuve fiable recueillie par suite de la violation du droit constitutionnel de M.
Landry, commise de façon délibérée etinacceptable, porte gravement atteinte à ses droits et serait susceptible de déconsidérer l’administration de la justice si elle était utiliséeau procès. [65] La Cour suprême, dans Grant, énonce clairement le critère applicable : Il faut donc soupeser l’utilité des éléments de preuve obtenus en violation de la Charte pour faciliter la découverte de la vérité et amenerune décision au fond par rapport aux facteurs tendant à leur exclusion afin de « mettre en balance l’intérêt de l’État à découvrir la véritéd’une part et l’intégrité du système judiciaire d’autre part »: Mann, par. 57, le juge Iacobucci.
Le tribunal doit se demander[TRADUCTION] « si la sanction de l’atteinte à la Charte par l’exclusion de l’élément de preuve entrave trop sévèrement l’objectif duprocès pénal qu’est la recherche de la vérité » : R. c. Kitaitchik (2002), (ON CA), 166 C.C.C. (3d) 14 (C.A. Ont.),par. 47, le juge Doherty. [par. 82]
[ 66 ] À mon avis, la mise en balance milite en faveur de l’exclusion. Tout comme le juge d’appel Doherty l’a noté dans R. c. McGuffie , 2016 ONCA 365 , [2016] O.J. No. 2504 (QL), lorsque les premier et deuxième facteurs de Grant font fortement pencher la balance en faveur de l’exclusion, le troisième facteur la ramènera rarement vers l’admissibilité. La Cour suprême du Canada s’est inscrite dans le même sens dans R. c. Paterson , 2017 CSC 15 , [2017] 1 R.C.S. 202, au par. 56 ; et dans l’affaire Le , au par. 142. Je souscris également à ce principe. [ 67 ] J’appuie donc la décision du juge d’appel en matière de poursuites
sommaires d’exclure le certificat d’analyse, mais pour les motifs différents que j’ai élaborés. Je rejetterais ce moyen d’appel. VI. Conclusion [ 68 ] À la fin de l’audience, je me suis joint à mes collègues pour rejeter la demande du procureur général en autorisation d’appel. J’ai opté pour ce dispositif pour les motifs exposés ci-dessus. English version of the judgment of the Court delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I. Introduction [1] Pier-Paul Landry was convicted at trial of having operated a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol in excess of the legal limit prescribed by s. 253 (
b) of the Criminal Code , as it then read. The incident that concerns us dates back to December 2, 2017. [2] Mr. Landry’s appeal to the
Summary Conviction Appeal Court was allowed and an acquittal entered. The judge found that Mr. Landry’s right, guaranteed by s. 10(
b) of the Charter , to retain and instruct counsel without delay at the time of his arrest had been infringed by the investigating officer, and that the evidence of his blood-alcohol level, obtained in violation of that right, should be excluded pursuant to s. 24(2) of the Charter . [3] As I will explain below, the facts of this case expose the police officer’s usual practice which prevented Mr.
Landry from availing himself of his right to retain and instruct counsel at the scene of his arrest, despite the Supreme Court of Canada’s explicit and well-known instructions to that effect, dating back more than thirty-three years, which have been reiterated in several decisions of this Court, notably in Couturier v. R. , 2004 NBCA 91 , 277 N.B.R. (2d) 311. [4] At the end of the hearing before this Court, I joined my colleagues in denying the Attorney General’s application for leave to appeal, with reasons to follow. The case involves not only the
interpretation and application of ss. 10(
b) and 24(2) of the Charter, but also the impact of the Prosper warning on Mr. Landry’s constitutional right in the circumstances of this case. [5] Insofar as the enforcement of the right enshrined in s. 10(
b) is concerned, I hope the very clear signal the Court sent in Couturier and reiterates in these reasons will be clearly understood. II. Factual background [6] The facts as found by the trial judge are generally not in issue and most were echoed by the
summary conviction appeal judge. While most of these facts are not in issue, the relative importance of some of them deserves a thorough analysis. To avoid repetition, I will do no more at this point than summarize the facts and restate them in detail in the analysis that will follow.
[7] On December 2, 2017, at 2:48 a.m., Mr. Landry was stopped at the wheel of his motor vehicle in Inkerman Ferry, New Brunswick, by Constable Kalbarczyk. The police officer detected the smell of alcohol on Mr. Landry’s breath, and Mr. Landry admitted to having consumed alcohol. A demand was then made to provide a breath sample in an approved screening device. [8] According to the police officer’s testimony, Mr. Landry refused to get out of his motor vehicle and asked that he be given a chance.
Only after receiving three orders to get out and a warning that he could be arrested for obstructing a peace officer did Mr. Landry obey the officer’s order. [9] Mr. Landry was holding his cell phone. The police officer asked him to leave it in his vehicle, or else, he would have to seize it. According to the officer, this was a security measure as the phone was protected by a hard case. [10] According to the police officer, a demand was made to Mr.
Landry at 2:55 a.m. to submit to the screening test and, between 3:00 a.m. and 3:10 a.m., there were five attempts in which, despite the instructions he received, he did not blow correctly into the device. [11] The police officer explained to Mr. Landry the consequences of refusing to obey the demand and, this time, on the sixth attempt, Mr. Landry provided a sufficient sample, which produced a “Fail” reading. This result gave the police officer the grounds required to arrest him. [12] The following events are the most important for the purposes of analyzing the grounds of appeal.
I summarize them here to indicate it was at 3:15 a.m. when the police officer informed Mr. Landry of his constitutional rights, including the right to retain and instruct counsel without delay, enshrined in s. 10( b ). Mr. Landry replied he had a lawyer and wanted to consult him immediately. [13] In the following analysis of the facts, I comment on the police officer’s refusal to allow Mr. Landry to contact his lawyer before arriving at the station.
My analysis continues by listing the attempts made at the station between 3:40 a.m. and 4:33 a.m. to contact a lawyer and the impact of the Prosper warning given to Mr. Landry at 4:34 a.m., before the qualified technician took charge of him at 4:38 a.m. for the taking of his breath samples. [14] Prior to the trial, Mr. Landry filed an application requesting the judge to deal first with the alleged violation of s. 10(
b) by way of a voir dire as it related to the admissibility into evidence of the certificate of analysis. The parties had agreed Mr. Landry’s affidavit in support of the application would be tendered into evidence and he would be subject to cross-examination on it, if necessary. The judges in the courts below both noted the following additional facts drawn from the affidavit: 1. When Mr.
Landry was informed of his right to retain and instruct counsel without delay at the scene of the arrest, he immediately expressed the desire to contact his lawyer, but the police officer told him he had to wait until he arrived at the station to do so; 2. Contrary to the police officer’s subsequent testimony, Mr. Landry deposes the police officer informed him that he had no choice but to provide samples of his breath within two hours of his arrest or face criminal consequences if he refused, and that he could speak with his lawyer afterwards. He states it was in that context that he provided the samples. III.
Grounds of Appeal [15] The Attorney General raises two grounds of appeal alleging errors of law in the
interpretation and application of the following provisions of the Charter : (
a) s. 10( b ), regarding the right to retain and instruct counsel without delay;
(b) s. 24(2), with respect to the exclusion of the qualified technician’s certificate indicating Mr. Landry’s blood-alcohol level. IV. Standard of Review [16] To the extent both grounds raise matters of statutory
interpretation, they are reviewable on a standard ofcorrectness: R. v. McKenna, 2020 NBCA 71, [2020] N.B.J. No. 260 (QL). [17] Deference is generally owed to a trial judge’s conclusion on s. 24(2). However, if the trial judge did not find a breachof the Charter, or failed to apply the Grant factors, the standard of review would be correctness. Because the provincial court judge inthis case was wrong in finding that a s. 10(
b) Charter breach did not occur and as a result, offered no analysis on whether the evidenceought to be excluded, it was for the Court sitting on appeal to determine that question (R. v. Grant, 2009 SCC 32, [2009] 2 S.C.R. 353, atpara. 86; R. v. Le, 2019 SCC 34, [2019] S.C.J. No. 34 (QL)). V. Analysis A. Paragraph 10(b) [18] Paragraph 10(
b) reads as follows: Arrest or detention 10. Everyone has the right on arrest ordetention (
b) to retain and instruct counsel withoutdelay and to be informed of that right[.] Arrestation ou détention 10. Chacun a le droit, en cas d’arrestation oude détention :
b) d’avoir recours sans délai à l’assistanced’un avocat et d’être informé de ce droit[.] [19] As I indicated in my opening remarks, the case law could not be clearer on the issue of when an accused isentitled to avail himself or herself of his or her right to counsel. The right applies immediately following arrest and reading ofconstitutional rights, insofar as the circumstances of the case allow. No evidence may be obtained before the right is exercised. TheSupreme Court of Canada clearly stated in R. v. Manninen, (SCC), [1987] 1 S.C.R. 1233, [1987] S.C.J.
No. 41 (QL),that the right requires the police officer to allow the accused to use any available telephone. In this case, Mr. Landry was entitled to usehis cell phone to try to contact his lawyer, but the police officer refused to let him do so. He went so far as to threaten Mr. Landry that hiscell phone would be seized if he did not leave it in his car. In Manninen, the Supreme Court cited R. v. Dombrowski, (SK CA), [1985] S.J. No. 951 (QL) (Sask.
C.A.), in which the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal held there is no justification for the policeto insist that the right can be exercised only upon arrival at the police station. [20] The reason why the exercise of the right must be allowed as soon as possible is to achieve the overarchingpurpose of s. 10(b), that of avoiding involuntary incrimination. The purpose is achieved only when the detainee is in a position to receivelegal advice (R. v. Sinclair, 2010 SCC 35, [2010] 2 S.C.R. 310; R. v.
Bartle, (SCC), [1994] 3 S.C.R. 173, [1994] S.C.J.No. 74 (QL)). [21] This jurisprudence has been followed across Canada, as well as by this Court in Couturier. [22] One of the factors that emerges from the factual background of this case relates to a detainee’s efforts tocontact the lawyer of his or her choice. In R. v. Willier, 2010 SCC 37, [2010] 2 S.C.R. 429, the Supreme Court considered whether theright enshrined in s. 10(
b) gives the detainee the right to consult with counsel of his or her choice. The Court held that, if the lawyer
chosen by the detainee cannot be available within a reasonable time and if the detainee has the opportunity to consult duty counselthrough legal aid, the detainee’s consultation with duty counsel after that reasonable time does not violate his or her right guaranteed bys. 10(b). The underlined terms are of some significance in this context, as I will explain below. It should be noted, for the time being, thatthe detainee always has a duty to be reasonably diligent in attempting to contact a lawyer, to the extent, of course, that he or she ispermitted to do so by the police officer: R. v.
Black, (SCC), [1989] 2 S.C.R. 138, [1989] S.C.J. No. 81 (QL). [23] What matters in this case is that a reasonable time must have elapsed while the detainee waited for a call fromthe chosen lawyer, and this time will depend on the particular circumstances of each case. This brings me to review the circumstancesfaced by Mr. Landry. [24] The important events began at 3:15 a.m., when the police officer read Mr. Landry his constitutional rights.Recall that, until then, Mr. Landry was not allowed by the police officer to keep his cell phone in hand.
He told the police officer heunderstood his rights and wanted to consult his lawyer without delay by using his cell phone. He was not provided with any means toexercise his right to consult counsel. The police officer told him he would have to wait until he arrived at the station to make his callfrom the telephone designated for that purpose. This initial refusal was therefore the first breach of s. 10(b). There was a second breachof the right guaranteed by this section, as I will explain below. [25] Mr.
Landry arrived at the station at 3:40 a.m. and the first attempt to reach a lawyer was made at 3:45 a.m.Thus, thirty minutes had elapsed after the arrest, during which time Mr. Landry was unable to exercise his right. [26] At 3:45 a.m., it was the police officer who dialled solicitor Frederic Mallet’s number at Mr. Landry’s request.The police officer dialled Mr. Mallet’s office number and, as one would have expected, given the time of night, Mr. Mallet did notanswer. Mr. Landry had Mr. Mallet’s personal number in his cell phone contacts, but he still did not have access to it.
He informed thepolice officer, who, at 3:55 a.m., asked one of his colleagues to go retrieve the cell phone. There is no explanation in the record as to whythe police officer suddenly changed his mind about Mr. Landry’s use of his cell phone. [27] While waiting for the cell phone to be brought to him, the police officer persisted in calling Mr. Mallet at hisoffice, but his calls remained unanswered. [28] The cell phone was handed over to Mr. Landry at 4:13 a.m., almost one hour after the arrest. At 4:14 a.m., thepolice officer dialled Mr.
Mallet’s personal number using the station’s telephone but obtained no answer. He left a message askingMr. Mallet to return his call. [29] At 4:16 a.m., using the station’s telephone, the police officer made a second attempt to reach Mr. Mallet at hispersonal number. He was unsuccessful, but this time Mr. Landry left the message for his lawyer. [30] Mr. Landry then indicated that Mr. Mallet might be abroad and asked to contact Charles LeBlanc, Q.C. Thepolice officer dialled Mr. LeBlanc’s office number and obtained a message from the answering machine indicating the office would beclosed until December 7. [31] Mr.
Landry found solicitor Denis Boudreau’s home number in his cell phone. Again using the stationtelephone, the police officer called Mr. Boudreau. He did not obtain an answer and left a message at 4:22 a.m. [32] At 4:27 a.m., Mr. Landry tried to reach Mr. Boudreau by dialling his cell phone number, again from thestation’s telephone. Mr. Boudreau did not answer, and Mr. Landry left him a message asking him to call him back. [33] It was following this call that the police officer suggested to Mr. Landry that he speak with a legal aid lawyer.Mr.
Landry agreed, provided he could speak with solicitor Luc Roy whom he knew well. The police officer dialled the legal aid numberat 4:30 a.m., i.e. only three minutes after Mr. Landry’s call to Mr. Boudreau’s cell phone number. The legal aid office dispatcher whoanswered the call told the police officer solicitor Lise Landry was the duty counsel on call at that time. Mr. Landry did not know her and refused to speak with her. However, there is no indication in the record that the dispatcher reached Ms. Landry. It is not known whetherMr. Landry would have been able to talk to her if he had wanted to.
[34] Still at 4:30 a.m., the police officer tried unsuccessfully to reach Mr. Roy. The record does not indicate thenumber dialled in this attempt. [35] Three minutes later, at 4:33 a.m., using his cell phone, Mr. Landry dialled Mr. Mallet’s and Mr. Boudreau’spersonal numbers for the first time. He was unable to reach them. [36] Finally, it is important to note three additional attempts to reach lawyers chosen by Mr. Landry were madewithin three minutes of the 4:30 a.m. call to legal aid. It is nevertheless in this context that, at 4:34 a.m., the police officer decided toread the Prosper warning to Mr. Landry.
This warning is not to be given unless a detainee changes his or her mind and waives his or herright to counsel or does not respond clearly to the police officer. Neither of these situations applied in the circumstances. Mr. Landrynever waived his right and, moreover, he was completely unaware of the legal import of the Prosper warning. I will explain theimportance of this situation by starting with the wording of the warning that was read to him: [TRANSLATION] You have already been informed of your right to contact duty counsel or another lawyer.
You have clearly indicated that you want to talkto a lawyer, but you have changed your mind (or you have not clearly indicated to me whether you want to talk to a lawyer). You havethe right to a reasonable opportunity to contact a lawyer for advice and, before obtaining evidence from you, I am required to wait untilyou exercise or waive that right. Do you want to waive your right to contact duty counsel or another lawyer? [Emphasis added.] [37] According to the police officer’s testimony, Mr.
Landry replied: [TRANSLATION] “I do not waive it, butwhat do you want me to do?” [38] I have underlined parts of the warning to illustrate an important point. The warning makes no reference to theattempts made until it was read and simply informs Mr. Landry that his right under s. 10(
b) of the Charter subsists and that he continuesto have a reasonable opportunity to contact a lawyer. All Mr. Landry can be expected to understand from the warning is that the policeofficer is telling him, at 4:34 a.m., that he still has a reasonable opportunity to exercise his right and that the police officer has to waituntil he does so before obtaining, in this case, samples of his breath. [39] Moreover, in the conversation that immediately followed the reading of the warning, according to the police officer’stestimony, the officer allegedly informed Mr.
Landry that he was not constrained by time to contact the lawyer, but that he had to actdiligently. In Mr. Landry’s mind, this exchange could only reinforce the message conveyed by the warning, and there was therefore noimmediate urgency. There is no evidence the police officer allegedly told Mr. Landry that, in refusing to consider speaking with LiseLandry, he might not have been diligent. However, Mr. Landry learned for the first time that, even though there is no time limit forexercising the right, he has to act diligently. [40] The Supreme Court stated very clearly in R. v.
Ross, (SCC), [1989] 1 S.C.R. 3, [1989] S.C.J.No. 2 (QL), that “[r]easonable diligence in the exercise of the right to choose one’s counsel depends upon the context facing the accusedor detained person” (p. 11). However, in this case, the police officer did not allow Mr. Landry to exercise, within a reasonable time, theright he had just confirmed to him and instead told him there was nothing more to be done. At 4:38 a.m., only four minutes afterreceiving the warning from the police officer, the qualified technician took charge of Mr.
Landry. [41] In his decision, the trial judge stated he did not understand why the police officer would have read the Prosperwarning to Mr. Landry when he had not in any way waived his right. However, the judge concluded that the warning did not mattersince, before it was read to him, Mr. Landry had already been given [TRANSLATION] “a reasonable opportunity to consult a lawyer,and he had not been diligent in exercising his right” (para. 37).
In my opinion, this statement is unreasonable since, on the one hand, it isunsupported by the evidence and, on the other hand, it clearly arose from the inference drawn by the judge that the warning, regardlessof the circumstances in which it had been read, had no bearing on Mr. Landry’s legal position. I have already established that the exactopposite occurred and, consequently, an erroneous legal finding is not entitled to deference.
[42] For his part, the
summary conviction appeal judge simply stated that the warning was not necessary, but that,in any event, it spelled out to Mr. Landry his right to contact counsel (para. 79). On the other hand, he states he accepted the trial judge’sdecision that Mr. Landry failed in his duty to act diligently and, given this lack of diligence, the police officer was entitled to put an endto the attempts to contact counsel (para. 80). [43] With due respect to the
summary conviction appeal judge, he, too, overlooked the legal import of the messagecontained in the warning in the context I have outlined. It is clear the police officer erred in reading the Prosper warning, but the fact heread it, in the context of this case, could not help but reinforce, in Mr. Landry’s mind, his right to continue his attempts to contactcounsel. However, given the very short time that elapsed between the reading of the warning and the qualified technician taking chargeof Mr.
Landry, his right to counsel was breached a second time. [44] The Prosper warning arises from the Supreme Court’s decision in R. v. Prosper, (SCC),[1994] 3 S.C.R. 236, [1994] S.C.J. No. 72 (QL), where Lamer C.J., for the majority, wrote as follows: […] the existence of duty counsel services may affect what constitutes “reasonable diligence” of a detainee in pursuing the right tocounsel, which will in turn affect the length the period during which the state authorities’ s. 10(
b) implementational duties will requirethem to “hold off” from trying to elicit incriminatory evidence from the detainee. […] […] […] I find that an additional informational obligation on police will be triggered once a detainee, who has previously asserted the right tocounsel, indicates that he or she has changed his or her mind and no longer wants legal advice.
At this point, police will be required to tellthe detainee of his or her right to a reasonable opportunity to contact a lawyer and of the obligation on the part of the police during thistime not to take any statements or require the detainee to participate in any potentially incriminating process until he or she has had thatreasonable opportunity. This additional informational requirement on police ensures that a detainee who persists in wanting to waive theright to counsel will know what it is that he or she is actually giving up. [pp. 269 and 274] [45] If the police officer actually intended to assert that Mr.
Landry had waived his right, it had to be clearlyestablished. However, what happened was the exact opposite. I quote another excerpt from Prosper: Given the importance of the right to counsel, I would also say with respect to waiver that once a detainee asserts the right there must be aclear indication that he or she has changed his or her mind, and the burden of establishing an unequivocal waiver will be on the Crown:Ross, at pp. 11-12.
Further, the waiver must be free and voluntary, and it must not be the product of either direct or indirect compulsion.This Court has indicated on numerous occasions that the standard required for an effective waiver of the right to counsel is very high:Clarkson v. The Queen, (SCC), [1986] 1 S.C.R. 383, Manninen, and Evans. […] [pp. 274 and 275] [46] The police officer testified that the timing of when the qualified technician took charge of Mr.
Landry was inno way influenced by the two-hour time limit between the arrest and the taking of samples, which is related to the statutory presumptionof the blood-alcohol level established by the certificate of the breathalyzer analysis. The fact remains, however, that only four minutesafter the warning was read, Mr. Landry was sent to the qualified technician and the first breath sample was taken at 4:45 a.m., i.e. onehour and thirty minutes after the arrest. There were thirty minutes left before the end of the period within which to benefit from thepresumption.
It is therefore difficult to explain the police officer’s decision to so hastily deprive Mr. Landry of his right, especially sincethe officer had just told him he was not required to exercise his right within a specified time provided he was reasonably diligent.Certainly, the loss of the presumption could not prevail over Mr. Landry’s right.
Lamer C.J. confirmed this principle in Prosper: [...] in the context of impaired driving cases, I am satisfied that the existence of the two-hour evidentiary presumption available to theCrown under s. 258(1)(c)(ii) of the Code does not, by itself, constitute such a compelling or urgent circumstance. […] [p. 275] [47] I would therefore affirm the decision of the
summary conviction appeal judge in which he found the rightguaranteed by s. 10(
b) of the Charter had been breached, but, without deciding whether this violation could be remedied later, for thereasons set out above, I find the right has been breached. I would therefore dismiss this first ground of appeal.
B. Subsection 24 ( 2 ) [48] Subsection 24(2) of the Charter provides as follows: Enforcement of guaranteed rights and freedoms
(2) Where, in proceedings under subsection (1), a court concludes that evidence was obtained in a manner that infringed or denied any rights or freedoms guaranteed by this Charter, the evidence shall be excluded if it is established that, having regard to all the circumstances, the admission of it in the proceedings would bring the administration of justice into disrepute.
Recours en cas d’atteinte aux droits et libertés (2) Lorsque, dans une instance visée au paragraphe (1), le tribunal a conclu que des éléments de preuve ont été obtenus dans des conditions qui portent atteinte aux droits ou libertés garantis par la présente charte, ces éléments de preuve sont écartés s’il est établi, eu égard aux circonstances, que leur utilisation est susceptible de déconsidérer l’administration de la justice. [49] The seminal case governing the
interpretation and application of s. 24(2) is Grant . In that case, the Supreme Court focused on whether the overall repute of the justice system, viewed in the long term, would be adversely affected by admission of the evidence.
The inquiry is objective: would a reasonable person, informed of all relevant circumstances and the values underlying the Charter , conclude that the admission of the evidence in question would bring the administration of justice into disrepute? [50] Subsection 24(2) also has a prospective component in that the analysis begins with a finding of a Charter infringement and seeks to determine whether the evidence thus obtained does further damage to the repute of the justice system. The analysis involves three lines of inquiry: 1.
The seriousness of the Charter-infringing state conduct – The more severe or deliberate the law enforcement officer’s conduct, the greater the need for the court to dissociate itself from that conduct by excluding the evidence so obtained. The state must abide by the rule of law to ensure public confidence. 2. The impact or actual extent of the breach on the rights of the accused – To what extent did the violation impinge upon the accused’s interest in a free and informed choice? 3.
Society’s interest in the adjudication of the case on its merits – Would truth-seeking at trial be better served by admission of the evidence or by its exclusion, taking into account its degree of reliability relative to its importance to the Crown’s case? [51] Having made these three inquiries, the judge must undertake an overall analysis by balancing them to determine whether, considering all the circumstances of the case, admission of the evidence would bring the administration of justice into disrepute.
The balancing therefore consists of determining whether reliable evidence obtained through the breach of a right, even if committed in good faith, greatly undermines the right of the accused. If not, it may be admitted. Otherwise, it must be excluded.
On the other hand, if state conduct is deliberate and egregious and severely impacts the protected right, the evidence so obtained should be excluded notwithstanding its reliability. [52] In Le , the Supreme Court noted the applicable test requires the judge to focus on the overall repute of the justice system, viewed in the long term by a reasonable person informed of all relevant circumstances and of the importance of the right that has been violated, and not on the impact of police misconduct upon the criminal trial.
It is the sum, and not the average, of the seriousness of the misconduct and its impact on the accused’s rights that determines the pull of the three inquiries towards exclusion. [53] Long before Grant, the Supreme Court had opined as follows in Bartle on the
interpretation of s. 24(2), and its comments remain relevant:
Section 24(2) of the Charter provides as follows: 24. […]
(2) Where […] a court concludes that evidence was obtained in a manner that infringed or denied any rights or freedoms guaranteed bythis Charter, the evidence shall be excluded if it is established that, having regard to all the circumstances, the admission of it in theproceedings would bring the administration of justice into disrepute. There are two requirements for exclusion of evidence under s. 24(2): Strachan, per Dickson C.J., at p. 1000, and R. v. Therens, (SCC), [1985] 1 S.C.R. 613, per Le Dain J., at p. 648. First, there has to have been a Charter violation in the course ofobtaining the evidence.
Second, it must be found that having regard to all the circumstances, admission of the evidence would bring theadministration of justice into disrepute. Under the first threshold requirement, there must be some connection or relationship between the infringement of the right or freedom inquestion and the obtaining of the evidence which is sought to be excluded.
However, a strict causal link between the Charterinfringement and the discovery of the evidence is not required: Therens, per Le Dain J. at p. 649; Strachan, per Dickson C.J. at pp. 1000-1006, and Lamer J. (as he then was) at p. 1009; and Brydges at p. 210. Generally speaking, so long as it is not too remotely connectedwith the violation, all the evidence obtained as part of the “chain of events” involving the Charter breach will fall within the scope ofs. 24(2): Strachan, per Dickson C.J. at p. 1006, and Lamer J. at p. 1009.
This means that in the initial inquiry under s. 24(2) as to whetherevidence has been “obtained in a manner that infringed or denied” Charter rights, courts should take a generous approach. However, itshould be borne in mind that the presence and strength of the causal connection between the evidence and the Charter breach may be afactor for consideration under the second, more important, branch of s. 24(2): Strachan, per Dickson C.J., at p. 1006; and R. v. I. (L.R.)and T. (E.), [1993] 4. S.C.R. 504, per Sopinka J., at p. 530.
In the case at bar, I am satisfied that the breathalyser evidence as well as the self-incriminating statement were obtained in the context ofthe infringement of the appellant’s right to counsel under s. 10(
b) and, therefore, that they pass the first hurdle under s. 24(2). The analysis must then proceed to the second stage of inquiry under s. 24(2), where it must be determined whether, in all of thecircumstances, admission of the evidence would tend to bring the administration of justice into disrepute. In order to make thisdetermination, a court must balance factors relating to the effect of admission on the fairness of the trial, the seriousness of the breach,and the effect of exclusion on the repute of the administration of justice: R. v. Collins, (SCC), [1987] 1 S.C.R. 265, atpp. 284-86.
The overall burden of persuasion under s. 24(2) rests on the party seeking exclusion of the evidence: Collins, at p. 280; R. v.Simmons, (SCC), [1988] 2 S.C.R. 495, per Dickson C.J. at p. 532; and R. v. Duarte, (SCC), [1990] 1S.C.R. 30, at p. 59. That is, it is the applicant for exclusion under s. 24(2) who must ultimately satisfy the court on a balance ofprobabilities that admission of the evidence could bring the administration of justice into disrepute. [pp. 208-209] C.
Applying the three-part test set out in Grant to the case at bar [54] I will not repeat the facts and circumstances underlying the application of each of the three branches of the test, exceptin
summary. (
i) The seriousness of the Charter-infringing state conduct [55] Two aspects should be noted in relation to this branch: (
a) the police officer’s usual practice of not allowing access to counsel at the place of arrest and requiring Mr. Landry to wait until hewas at the station before being able to exercise his right; (
b) the second practice, also usual according to the police officer’s testimony, consisting of reading the Prosper warning in all cases,
even when the detainee has not waived his or her right to counsel, so that, as far as Mr. Landry was concerned, he was probably misled as to the possibility of continuing to exercise his right without being given a reasonable amount of time to do so. [56] In Le , the Supreme Court established that, for state misconduct to be excused as a good faith infringement, the state must show the police officer conducted himself or herself in a manner consistent with what he or she subjectively, reasonably and non-negligently believed to be the law.
In the case at bar, the police officer testified he acted in accordance with his usual practice, but there is no evidence he engaged in conduct he believed was required by law.
I cannot conceive that the RCMP, with all its resources and means of communicating with its members, would not have alerted its members about how they should conduct themselves, especially in light of the fact that the expected conduct was established by Canada’s highest court more than thirty years ago. [57] I can only echo what this Court said in Couturier , that a member of law enforcement who engages in usual practices of this kind displays very serious Charter -infringing misconduct. Again, the Court must dissociate itself from this.
For these reasons, this first branch definitely favours the exclusion of the certificate of analysis. (ii) The impact of the breach on Mr. Landry’s right [58] The true extent to which the breach actually undermined Mr. Landry’s right has already been discussed. There were two breaches of s. 10( b ). The extent of the resulting consequences cannot be underestimated in the circumstances of this case.
I can do no better in this regard than to echo the words of Lamer C.J. in Bartle : Although the scope of available legal advice in the impaired driving context is necessarily limited, one must be mindful of the fact that this Court has clearly stated in the past that, where the right to counsel has been infringed, it is improper to speculate about the nature of the advice that a detainee would have received and whether the evidence would have been obtained had the right not been infringed: Strachan , per Dickson C.J., at p. 1002; and Elshaw , at pp. 43-44. [pp. 216-217]. [59] This second branch also tips the balance in favour of exclusion. (iii) Society’s interest in the adjudication of the case on its merits [60] While this third branch often militates in favour of the admission of the evidence, in Le , the Supreme Court noted that it must not turn into a rubber stamp even if all evidence is reliable and critical to the Crown’s case.
In this case, no one doubts the reliability of the certificate of analysis. Society has an interest in ensuring that those who transgress the law are brought to trial and dealt with according to the law ( Grant , para. 79 ). However, the analysis under this line of inquiry is not strictly limited to these considerations. [61] Admissibility, without more, of reliable evidence, regardless of how it was obtained, is inconsistent with the wording of s. 24(2).
The public wants truth-seeking, hence the importance of this factor in the analysis of this line of inquiry. [62] It is not the immediate impact on how the public views the judicial system in relation to the exclusion of evidence that matters, but, as discussed, “ […] it is the long-term repute of the justice system that is s. 24(2)’s focus […] . The short-term public clamour for a conviction in a particular case must not deafen the s. 24(2) judge to the longer-term repute of the administration of justice.
Moreover, while the public has a heightened interest in seeing a determination on the merits where the offence charged is serious, it also has a vital interest in having a justice system that is above reproach, particularly where the penal stakes for the accused are high” ( Grant , para. 84 ). [63] However, and notwithstanding the considerations that may weigh in favour of excluding the certificate of analysis without this third line of inquiry in Grant , the fact remains that the degree of reliability of the certificate of analysis relative to its importance to the Crown’s case is not in dispute.
Accordingly, society’s interest in the adjudication of the case on its merits in the limited context of this line of inquiry thus weighs in favour of inclusion. (iv) Balancing the three lines of inquiry
[64] The overall analysis involved in balancing the three lines of inquiry set out in Grant is objective. It is necessaryto consider whether the reliable evidence obtained as a result of the violation of Mr.
Landry’s constitutional right, committed deliberatelyand egregiously, greatly undermines his rights and would bring the administration of justice into disrepute if the evidence was admittedat trial. [65] In Grant, the Supreme Court clearly stated the applicable test: The fact that the evidence obtained in breach of the Charter may facilitate the discovery of the truth and the adjudication of a case on itsmerits must therefore be weighed against factors pointing to exclusion, in order to “balance the interests of truth with the integrity of thejustice system”: Mann, at para. 57, per Iacobucci J.
The court must ask “whether the vindication of the specific Charter violationthrough the exclusion of evidence exacts too great a toll on the truth-seeking goal of the criminal trial”: R. v. Kitaitchik (2002), (ON CA), 166 C.C.C. (3d) 14 (Ont. C.A.), at para. 47, per Doherty J.A. [para. 82] [66] In my opinion, the balancing favours exclusion. As Doherty J.A. noted in R. v. McGuffie, 2016 ONCA 365,[2016] O.J. No. 2504 (QL), if the first and second inquiries identified in Grant make a strong case for exclusion, the third inquiry willseldom, if ever, tip the balance in favour of admissibility.
The Supreme Court of Canada took a similar view in R. v. Paterson, 2017 SCC15, [2017] 1 S.C.R. 202, at para. 56; and in Le, at para. 142. I also agree with this principle. [67] I would therefore uphold the decision of the
summary conviction appeal judge to exclude the certificate ofanalysis, but for the differ