r v. R., 2015 NBCA 57
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 75-14-CA RONALD BRUCE WASSER APPELLANT RONALD BRUCE WASSER APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Wasser v. R., 2015 NBCA 57 Wasser c.
R., 2015 NBCA 57 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Deschênes The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : l’honorable juge Deschênes l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : Inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: May 26, 2015 Appel entendu : le 26 mai 2015 Judgment rendered: September 24, 2015 Jugement rendu : le 24 septembre 2015
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Deschênes Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Deschênes Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: James J. Matheson For the respondent: Kathryn A. Gregory Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : James J. Matheson Pour l’intimée : Kathryn A. Gregory THE COURT The appeal against conviction is dismissed. LA COUR L’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité est rejeté. The judgment of the Court was delivered by DESCHÊNES, J.A.
I. Introduction [ 1 ] On May 29, 2013, Norma Wasser, the appellant’s estranged wife, was shot in their marital home (though estranged, the two were married and living under the same roof). Both parties agree the identity of the shooter was the pivotal issue at the trial by judge and jury. Around the time Norma Wasser was shot, the Crown alleges the appellant attempted to commit suicide.
Although the appellant did not testify, he gave statements denying any involvement in the shooting and rejected suggestions he had attempted to take his own life. [ 2 ] The appellant was charged and convicted of the attempted murder of Norma Wasser (s. 239(1) (a)); assault with a weapon (s. 267(a)); assault causing bodily harm (s. 267(b)); aggravated assault (s. 268(1)); and using a firearm in a careless manner (s. 86(3)(a)). II. The Background
[ 3 ] The appellant and the victim, Norma Wasser, had been living separate and apart under the same roof for an extended period. The door to her bedroom, located in the basement, was equipped with a door lock. The appellant’s bedroom was located upstairs and was also equipped with a door lock. The couple has two sons in their twenties still at home and occupying separate bedrooms near the appellant’s bedroom.
In the early morning hours of May 29, 2013, under cover of darkness, someone forced open the victim’s locked door and shot her at close range resulting in injuries that nearly killed her. [ 4 ] The other salient features of the evidence before the jury can be summarized as follows: The unhappy couple had been married some 25 years earlier. The victim had recently undertaken divorce proceedings and had sought and obtained a court order enjoining the appellant to quit the marital home on the day of the shooting. The victim was shot with a 12-gauge shotgun in her left arm as she lay in bed.
The shotgun was one kept in the residence occupied by the family. The victim was awakened by the noise of her locked bedroom door being forced open. She testified having seen the silhouette of the shooter, a silhouette that matched that of the appellant in height and size. The appellant was described as a man six feet four inches tall and weighing about 300 pounds. The victim had previously told an investigating officer and her son Michael that she could not identify the silhouette in the doorway, an inconsistency emphasized by the defence and the trial judge for the jury’s consideration. Only one shot was fired.
The shotgun was left in an open position on the victim’s bed and the spent 12-gauge shotgun shell fired from the shotgun was found on the floor near the bed. Both sons attended their mother’s room soon after hearing loud noises and found their mother in a state of shock and bleeding profusely. They did not see their father as they made their way to their mother’s bedroom and did not know of his whereabouts. They called 911 and help arrived shortly thereafter. The appellant’s son Michael could not explain how the appellant could have shot the victim and made it to his bedroom without having been seen by them.
Upon attending the appellant’s bedroom, the investigating officers tried to enter it but the door was locked. It was forced open and the appellant was found covered up with a blanket as he lay in his bed. An empty container of pills was located on a small table nearby. The appellant was fully clothed except for shoes and was wearing his prescription glasses. He was barely responsive and was suspected of having taken an excessive amount of prescribed medication, Seroquel, identified as a drug to help alleviate psychological problems such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia.
He was taken to the hospital shortly after the victim’s arrival there. The clothes the appellant was wearing in bed were seized and a live 12-gauge shotgun cartridge similar to the one found on the floor in the victim’s bedroom was found in the pocket of his pants. The appellant had all the symptoms of a person who had attempted to end his life by taking a very large amount of Seroquel. The experts could not say whether the overdose had taken place before or after the time of the shooting, but could state it was “around” that time.
The appellant’s cell phone, located near the appellant in his bed, contained a recently sent text message to his mother with the word “sorry”. The text had been sent a minute or so after the sons had placed the 911 call. A search for forensic evidence, such as gun residue on the appellant’s face or clothing, or for blood or fingerprints, did not produce any results linking him to the shooting. One of the experts tried to explain the absence of such evidence by the time (2-3 hours) that elapsed before forensic evidence gathering could begin. III. The Trial
[ 5 ] At trial, the Crown took the position in its opening statement to the jury that the appellant intended to commit suicide after attempting to kill his estranged wife, but his plan had backfired. In its closing address to the jury, the Crown simply stated: “Ronald Wasser here wanted to kill his soon-to-be ex-wife and then commit suicide.” [ 6 ] During pre-charge discussions, the question arose as to whether or not the jury should be invited to look upon the suicide attempt as “after-the-fact conduct”.
This, of course, would have necessitated some comments by the trial judge as to the possible inferences relating to identity as well as the dangers, if any, associated with drawing such an inference.
The appellant, at all times, took umbrage at any attempt to characterize the suicide attempt as after-the-fact conduct, reminding the judge and the jury later on in his address that the evidence of the attempted suicide (which he denied) did not support the view that it had taken place after the victim had been shot, but rather that it could have taken place before the shooting. [ 7 ] Faced with this evidentiary background and with the appellant’s position regarding the evidence relating to the time of any suicide attempt, the trial judge chose to treat the evidence of the attempted suicide as just another item of circumstantial evidence playing a minor corroborative role.
He did not refer to it as having any special significance on the pivotal issue of identity. [ 8 ] After three days of deliberations, the jury asked the judge if they “could convict a man based on circumstantial evidence alone”. After consulting with the parties, the trial judge replied in the affirmative, repeating his original instructions with respect to direct and circumstantial evidence, the burden of proof and reasonable doubt. The appellant agreed with these instructions, both when they were originally given and when delivered again after the jury’s question was asked. IV.
The Grounds of Appeal [ 9 ] The appellant appeals against his convictions upon the following grounds:
a) The trial judge erred in law in failing to provide instructions to the jury as to the use that they could make of “post-offence conduct”; and
b) The trial judge erred in law in failing to provide proper directions to the jury on circumstantial evidence and its application to the burden of proof. V. Analysis [ 10 ] The first ground of appeal relates to the failure of the trial judge to discuss how the alleged suicide attempt, as “after-the-fact conduct”, could or could not be used as circumstantial evidence to prove guilt.
In essence, the appellant argues that such failure is a serious non-direction amounting to misdirection warranting a new trial, as it is an error that cannot be saved by the curative proviso of s. 686 of the Criminal Code . [ 11 ] The second ground of appeal relates to the trial judge’s instructions on circumstantial evidence generally, and his response to the question from the jury as to whether a conviction could be based on circumstantial evidence alone. A.
The first ground of appeal: the use of post-offence conduct [ 12 ] In essence, the appellant argues that because evidence of the attempted suicide as after-the-fact conduct was put to the jury, the trial judge had an obligation to properly instruct the jury to ensure that such evidence was not misused. Specifically, he contends that the trial judge had to instruct the jury along the lines found in the National Judicial Institute, Model Jury Instructions, Ottawa, Ont.: Canadian Judicial Council, 2012, s. 11.14 . That
section warns the jury not to infer guilt from post-offence evidence unless satisfied, in the context of the evidence as a whole, that it is consistent with his guilt and inconsistent with any other reasonable conclusion. In addition, even if the accused was motivated by feelings of guilt, such feelings may be attributable to something other than the offence with which he is now charged. (In a similar vein, see Watt’s Manual of Criminal Jury Instructions, 2nd ed., (Toronto: Thomson Carswell, 2015)).
[13] In my view, this ground of appeal must be rejected for at least three reasons: (
a) the appellant’sargument on appeal is clearly at odds with the position and apparent strategy adopted by the appellant’s experienced counsel at trial; (b)the obligation to instruct the jury on “after-the-fact conduct” does not exist in the circumstances of this case; and, (
c) even assuming suchan obligation exists, it is an error that would be remedied by the application of the curative proviso contained in s. 686(1)(b)(iii) of theCriminal Code.
(1) The appellant’s position at trial [14] It should be understood at the outset, that this is not a case where the appellant admitted tohaving fired the shotgun, and claims he lacked the specific intent to kill required to be convicted of the offence of attempted murder. Thisis a case where the appellant is denying any involvement in the shooting of his wife.
As acknowledged by the appellant’s counsel onappeal, the identity of the perpetrator was probably the only live issue for the jury. [15] As mentioned, defence counsel vehemently opposed any attempt to characterize the suicideattempt as “after-the-fact conduct”. As he accurately pointed out, the expert evidence proffered by the Crown was as compatible with thesuicide attempt having taken place before the victim was shot as it was with it having taken place after the incident.
In fact, the most thatcan be said about the expert evidence on the subject is that the suicide attempt took place around the time of the shooting incident. Thatbeing so, it was a rather dangerous proposition for the trial judge to look upon the suicide attempt as “after-the-fact conduct” and toinstruct the jury on that basis.
The trial judge obviously decided to treat the alleged suicide attempt simply as an item of circumstantialevidence and not give it any special significance on the identity issue. [16] Although it is somewhat speculative, it appears to me that the appellant’s experienced counselat trial adopted his position knowing full well that an instruction on “after-the-fact conduct” would not necessarily be advantageous tothe appellant.
In fact, the judge would have had to inform the jury that if it found that the appellant had attempted to take his own lifeimmediately after the shooting, it was entitled to infer he was trying to escape forever the earthly consequences of his unlawful action(see Regina v. Williams, [1973] O.J. No. 2184 (C.A.)(QL) and R. v. Sodhi, (ON CA), [2003] O.J. No. 3397(C.A.)(QL), para. 54). Of course, this type of permissible inference would link the appellant to the shooting, and could be considered bythe jury, along with other circumstantial evidence, to resolve the pivotal issue of identity of the shooter.
Furthermore, as the respondentput it in her written submission, what exactly were the dangers associated with such an inference relating to identity? After all, theevidence was not relevant to any issue other than identity and intent. That being so, the respondent argues, with justification, that theproximity of time between the alleged suicide attempt and the shooting of the victim eliminates any danger in making the permissibleinference on the issue of identity.
Briefly put, whether the suicide attempt was motivated by grief or was an attempt to escape theconsequences of an unlawful act, the after-the-fact conduct would be evidence the jury could use, without danger, in trying to resolve theissue of the identity of the shooter. [17] In any event, it is clear that the appellant was understandably content in having the trial judgeinstruct the jury on circumstantial evidence along the lines proposed in Watt’s Manual of Criminal Jury Instructions, 2nd ed., (Toronto:Thomson Carswell, 2015), in which the judge instructs the jurors on the difference between direct and circumstantial evidence, uses easyto understand examples to illustrate the inference drawing process, and concludes by informing the jurors that “both kinds of evidencecount.
The law treats both equally. Neither is necessarily better or worse than the other. In each case, your job is to decide whatconclusions you will reach based upon the evidence as a whole, both direct and circumstantial. To make your decision, use your commonsense and experience” (p. 277). Briefly put, it is somewhat surprising to have counsel on appeal argue that the trial judge ought to haveinstructed the jury on the suicide attempt as “after-the-fact conduct” after having been successful in convincing the trial judge not to doso.
The failure to object at the trial level may not be an impediment to appellate success, but it does go a long way in demonstrating that,in the mind of trial counsel, the trial judge’s instructions were adequate on this issue.
(2) Was the trial judge required to caution the jury on the danger of using the evidence of the attempted suicide as evidence going toidentity? [18] The appellant agrees with the respondent’s position that “it is within the realm of logic andcommon sense in all the circumstances of this case that a suicide attempt occurring almost simultaneously with a shooting is inferentiallysuggestive of the identity of the shooter” (see paragraph 29 of the Crown’s submission on appeal). However, he argues that a cautionwas required.
The respondent suggests that a caution would have been preferable to avoid an appeal but was not required. In my view,this is a case where, as counsel for the respondent advances in her brief, “the concern for alternate explanations for the behaviour waseliminated by the fact of the proximity of the suicidal behaviour to the shooting. There were no other reasonable explanations for thisproximity beyond coincidence”. Briefly put, there was no risk that jurors, as “intelligent and reasonable fact-finders” would “draw
irrational and speculative conclusions from relevant evidence” (see R. v. White, 2011 SCC 13, [2011] 1 S.C.R. 433, paras. 54-56) and, asthe respondent puts it, there were “no reasonable alternate explanations to which the jury needed to be alerted”.
(3) The application of the curative proviso [19] Assuming for the moment that the trial judge erred in law in that he ought to have given thecaution suggested by the appellant, the next question would be whether such an error could be saved by the application of the curativeproviso. The appellant argues that the judgment of the trial court should be set aside and a new trial ordered on the ground of a wrongdecision on a question of law (s. 686(1)(a)(ii)).
The respondent relies on s. 686(1)(b)(iii), which provides an appeal may be dismissedwhere, notwithstanding the trial court’s wrong decision on a question of law, the appellate court is of the opinion that no substantialwrong or miscarriage of justice has occurred. The burden on the Crown in seeking to invoke the curative proviso “is a substantiallyhigher one than the requirement that the Crown prove its case ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’ at trial” (see R. v.
Trochym, 2007 SCC 6,[2007] 1 S.C.R. 239, para. 82). [20] As mentioned, the appellant acknowledges that the pivotal issue in this case was the identity ofthe accused as the person who shot the victim. The position of the appellant at trial was that it was up to the Crown to prove that he wasthe person who shot his wife and that in view of the lack of forensic evidence linking him to the shooting, coupled with the fact that hewas not seen returning to his room after the shot was fired, the jury ought to have a reasonable doubt as to the identity of the shooter.Mrs.
Wasser could not identify the appellant as the shooter, but her evidence of a silhouette matching that of the appellant was anotherpiece of circumstantial evidence pointing to the appellant as the perpetrator. However, ignoring for the moment the victim’s inconsistentevidence on identity and the evidence of the attempted suicide, the other items of circumstantial evidence on identity were neverthelessoverwhelming.
These have been summarized earlier in paragraphs three and four. [21] Although many witnesses referred to the appellant’s suicide attempt, it is fair to say that it didnot play an important role in proving the identity of the perpetrator. The salient pieces of circumstantial evidence, which occupied aprominent place in proving the identity of the perpetrator related to motive, opportunity, the presence of a live shotgun shell in theappellant’s pocket as he lay in the bed, and a text sent by the appellant to his mother expressing sorrow.
To put it bluntly, there was notan iota of evidence pointing in any direction but to the appellant as the person who fired the shotgun at his wife. In my view, the Crownhas unquestionably met the heavy burden of demonstrating that the evidence pointing to the appellant as the perpetrator of this crime isso overwhelming that a trier of fact would inevitably so conclude had the “error”, as argued by the appellant, not been made (see R. v.Khan, 2001 SCC 86, [2001] 3 S.C.R. 823, para. 28).
In my view, this is a case where the curative proviso applies, assuming an error oflaw on instructions regarding “after-the-fact conduct”. [22] I would not give effect to this ground of appeal. B. The second ground of appeal: the charge to the jury on circumstantial evidence and the response to the jury’s question [23] The trial judge’s charge to the jury on circumstantial evidence has already been described inparagraph 17 of these reasons and need not be repeated.
When the jury returned after lengthy deliberations to ask if a conviction could bebased on circumstantial evidence alone, the trial judge, with the approval of trial counsel, repeated what he had said in his main charge,but added comments on the burden of proof and the concept of “reasonable doubt”.
As the appellant readily acknowledged, the trialjudge reminded the jury on several occasions throughout the trial that proof beyond a reasonable doubt of each element of all offenceswas required before the accused could be found guilty. [24] The appellant acknowledges that “it is well settled that there is no legal requirement that anyparticular formulaic wording is to be used when instructing the jury on the topic of circumstantial evidence, so long as the necessarymessage is conveyed”, citing in support, R. v. Cooper, (SCC), [1978] 1 S.C.R. 860; R. v. Griffin, 2009 SCC 28, [2009] 2S.C.R. 42, para. 33; Bowlin v.
R., 2010 NBCA 90, 366 N.B.R. (2d) 292, para. 8; including R. v. Fleet, (ON CA), [1997]O.J. No. 4553 (C.A.)(QL), relied upon at trial. Nevertheless, he maintains that, because this case is based entirely on circumstantialevidence, the trial judge was required to give a further instruction to the jury to the effect that they could not reach a verdict of guiltyunless they were satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt on the whole of the evidence that it was the only reasonable inference to be drawnfrom the proven facts.
In essence, the appellant argues that it was not sufficient in this case to instruct the jury that it could convict ifsatisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that each essential element of the offence had been proven. The failure to give an added warning, it isargued, is a serious non-direction amounting to misdirection. [25] In support of his position, the appellant relies in large part upon Griffin and the Canadian
Judicial Council, Model Jury Instructions in Criminal Matters: Final Instructions, Ottawa, Ont.: Canadian Judicial Council, 2004, s.10.2, footnote 15, which informs the reader as follows: Where the evidence for the prosecution is entirely or substantially circumstantial, it is necessary to give a further instruction[underlining is the appellant’s]: However, you cannot reach a verdict of guilty based on circumstantial evidence unless you are satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt thatNOA’s [the accused] guilt is the only rational conclusion to be drawn from the whole of the evidence. [Italics in the original.] [26] The appellant’s position on this point is clearly irreconcilable with the jurisprudence uponwhich he relies.
His argument, as it was in Bowlin, is nothing less than an attempt to have this Court adopt a formulaic approach to juryinstruction in cases where the Crown relies upon circumstantial evidence to prove an essential element of an offence, such as identity inthe case before us. On this point, I would repeat what the Court said in Bowlin: It is true that in R. v.
Griffin, at para. 33, trial judges are informed that “the essential component of an instruction on circumstantialevidence is to instill in the jury that in order to convict, they must be satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the only rational inferencethat can be drawn from the circumstantial evidence is that the accused is guilty”. As far as the appellant is concerned, this is anindication that those words, or words to that effect, must be used when instructing the jury on circumstantial evidence.
However, theCourt in Griffin goes on to explain that “[i]mparting the necessary message to the jury may be achieved in different ways” andspecifically refers with obvious approval to the language used in R. v. Fleet, (ON CA), [1997] O.J. No. 4553 (C.A.)(QL), at para. 20; R. v. Guiboche, 2004 MBCA 16, [2004] M.J. No. 43 (QL), at paras. 108-10; and R. v. Tombran, at para. 29. Fleet, Guiboche and Tombran, and the specific paragraphs in those three cases mentioned by Charron J. in Griffin, inform us of the“different ways” to achieve the stated objective.
In Fleet, the Court held: Thus, the trial judge, reviewing the evidence and setting out the position of the defence and relating the substantial parts of the evidenceto that position, may frame the requisite instruction in the manner he or she considers most appropriate in the circumstances, forexample, by:
a) charging the jury in accordance with the traditional language of proof beyond a reasonable doubt (per Laskin C.J.C. in Cooper);
b) charging the jury in accordance with that language and pointing out to the jury the other inferences that the defence says should bedrawn from the evidence and the necessity to acquit the accused if any of those inferences raises a reasonable doubt (as the trial judgedid in Cooper in the final portion of his recharge); or
c) charging the jury that it must be satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the guilt of the accused is the only reasonable inference to bedrawn from the proven facts (per Ritchie J. in Cooper ...) (para. 20). [paras. 11 and 12] [27] In my view, the position adopted by this Court in Bowlin is reinforced by the recent OntarioCourt of Appeal decision in R. v. Taylor, 2015 ONCA 448, [2015] O.J.
No. 3234 (QL) (per Watt J.A. on behalf of the Court): First, the controlling authorities do not require a “special instruction” on the standard of proof required where the case for the Crownconsists entirely of circumstantial evidence: R. v. Cooper, (SCC), [1978] 1 S.C.R. 860, at pp. 865-866 and 881; and R. v.Griffin, 2009 SCC 28, [2009] 2 S.C.R. 42, at para. 33. This is so even where the issue is one of identification: Griffin, at para. 33.
Second, the essential component of an instruction on circumstantial evidence is to instill in the jury that, in order to convict, they must besatisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the only rational inference that can be drawn from the circumstantial evidence, considered as a
whole, is that an accused is guilty of the offence: Griffin, at para. 33. Third, the central message to the jury about the standard of proof in cases consisting exclusively of circumstantial evidence may beconveyed in different ways: Griffin, at para. 33. Trial judges are not required to adopt any specific language, provided the chargeconveys to the jury in a clear way the central point, that is to say, the need to find the guilt of the accused established on the evidence as awhole beyond a reasonable doubt: R. v. Tombran (2000), (ON CA), 142 C.C.C. (3d) 380 (Ont.
C.A.), leave to appealto S.C.C. refused, [2000] S.C.C.A. No. 294, at para. 29; and R. v. Fleet (1997), (ON CA), 120 C.C.C. (3d) 457 (Ont.C.A.), at pp. 464-465. Fourth, what is important in cases where the prosecution relies entirely on circumstantial evidence is that the jury understand how theycan use that evidence to establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt: R. v. Mayuran, 2012 SCC 31, [2012] 2 S.C.R. 162, at para. 38.
Thetrial judge may satisfy this standard by explaining the nature of circumstantial evidence, the inferences that can properly be drawn fromthat evidence and the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt: Mayuran, at para. 38. The Principles Applied I would not give effect to this claim of error, which seeks to reclaim ground lost nearly four decades ago in Cooper and resurrect theHodge’s formula as the single correct expression of the reasonable doubt standard in connection with cases that consist entirely ofcircumstantial evidence. That ship has sailed. And sunk.
As I have said earlier, the authoritative jurisprudence eschews a “special instruction” or prefabricated formula to explain the standard ofproof required in cases entirely dependent on circumstantial evidence: Mayuran, at para. 38. It follows logically that the failure to do soin this case does not constitute misdirection or non-direction amounting to misdirection. [paras. 152-57] [28] In light of Bowlin and Taylor, this ground of appeal has no merit. VI. Disposition [29] For all these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal. __________________________________ ALEXANDRE DESCHÊNES, J.A.
WE CONCUR: ________________________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A.
________________________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE DESCHÊNES I. Introduction [1] Le 29 mai 2013, Norma Wasser, épouse de l’appelant, a été atteinte d’un coup de feu à l’intérieur du foyer matrimonial (les époux, quoique désunis, demeuraient mariés et vivaient sous le même toit). Les parties conviennent que la question capitale, au procès devant juge et jury, était celle de l’identité du tireur. Le ministère public avance que, vers le moment où le coup a été tiré, l’appelant a tenté de se suicider.
L’appelant n’a pas témoigné, mais il a fait des dépositions dans lesquelles il nie qu’il soit mêlé au crime et qu’il ait tenté de s’enlever la vie. [2] L’appelant a été accusé et déclaré coupable de tentative de meurtre sur la personne de Norma Wasser (al. 239(1) a )), d’agression armée (al. 267 a )), de voies de fait avec infliction de lésions corporelles (al. 267 b )), de voies de fait graves (par. 268(1)) et d’usage négligent d’une arme à feu (al. 86(3) a )). II. Contexte [3] L’appelant et la victime, Norma Wasser, vivaient séparément, mais sous le même toit, depuis un bon moment.
La porte de la chambre à coucher de la victime, au sous-sol, était pourvue d’un verrou. La chambre à coucher de l’appelant, à l’étage du dessus, était munie d’un verrou également. Le couple a deux fils, dans la vingtaine, qui habitent toujours à la maison. Ils occupent des chambres à coucher séparées, situées près de celle de l’appelant. Très tôt le matin du 29 mai 2013, avant l’aube, quelqu’un a forcé la porte verrouillée de la chambre de la victime et tiré sur elle à bout portant.
Il s’en est fallu de peu que Norma Wasser succombe à ses blessures. [4] Les autres éléments pertinents qui ressortaient de la preuve présentée au jury peuvent se résumer ainsi : Le mariage malheureux avait été contracté quelque vingt-cinq ans auparavant. La victime avait engagé récemment une instance en divorce et avait demandé et obtenu une ordonnance enjoignant à l’appelant de quitter le foyer matrimonial le jour qui est devenu le jour du crime. La victime était au lit lorsqu’elle a reçu au bras gauche un coup tiré d’un fusil de chasse de calibre 12. Il s’agissait d’un fusil remisé au domicile de la famille.
La victime avait été tirée de son sommeil par le bruit : quelqu’un forçait la porte verrouillée de sa chambre à coucher. Elle a témoigné qu’elle avait vu la silhouette du tireur, silhouette qui, par ses proportions, correspondait à celle de l’appelant. L’appelant était décrit comme un homme de six pieds quatre pouces et d’environ trois cents livres. La victime avait dit à un enquêteur et à son fils Michael qu’elle n’avait pu reconnaître la silhouette, dans l’embrasure de la porte, contradiction sur laquelle ont insisté, à l’intention du jury, la défense et le juge du procès. Un seul coup a été tiré.
Le fusil est demeuré sur le lit de la victime, en position ouverte. La douille du fusil de chasse de calibre 12 duquel le coup était parti a été trouvée sur le plancher, près du lit. Après avoir entendu des bruits violents, les deux fils ont accouru auprès de leur mère. Elle se trouvait dans sa chambre à coucher, en état de choc, et saignait abondamment. Ils n’ont pas vu leur père, en se rendant à la chambre de leur mère, et ne savaient pas où il se trouvait. Ils ont composé le 911 et des secours sont arrivés peu après. Michael, fils de l’appelant, ne pouvait pas expliquer
comment son père avait pu tirer sur la victime et revenir à sa chambre à coucher sans que son frère et lui l’aient vu. Les enquêteurs, parvenus à la chambre à coucher de l’appelant, se sont heurtés à une porte verrouillée. Une fois la porte forcée, ils ont trouvé l’appelant au lit, sous une couverture. Un pilulier vide reposait sur une petite table, tout près. L’appelant était tout habillé, souliers en moins, et portait ses verres correcteurs.
Il réagissait à peine, et le soupçon s’est formé de l’ingestion d’une dose excessive d’un médicament délivré sur ordonnance, Seroquel, présenté comme capable d’atténuer des troubles psychologiques, par exemple l’anxiété, la dépression et la schizophrénie. Peu après l’arrivée de la victime à l’hôpital, il y a été emmené à son tour. Les vêtements que l’appelant portait au lit ont été saisis et une cartouche intacte de fusil de calibre 12, du type de la douille trouvée sur le plancher de la chambre à coucher de la victime, a été découverte dans la poche de son pantalon.
L’appelant présentait tous les signes d’une personne qui avait tenté de mettre fin à ses jours par une dose massive de Seroquel. Les experts ne pouvaient déterminer si la surdose avait précédé ou suivi le coup de feu, mais estimaient qu’elle était survenue [TRADUCTION] « vers » ce moment-là. Dans son lit, l’appelant avait près de lui son téléphone cellulaire, qui conservait un message texte envoyé récemment à sa mère dans lequel apparaissait le mot [TRADUCTION] « pardon ». Le message texte avait été expédié environ une minute après l’appel des fils au 911.
La recherche de preuve médicolégale, tel qu’un résidu de tir sur le visage ou les vêtements de l’appelant, de sang ou d’empreintes digitales n’a rien produit qui l’eût lié au coup de feu. L’un des experts a tenté d’expliquer l’absence de preuve de cette nature par le temps qui s’était écoulé (deux ou trois heures) avant qu’on puisse commencer à recueillir la preuve médicolégale. III.
Procès [5] Au procès, le ministère public a avancé, dans l’exposé introductif qu’il a adressé au jury, que l’appelant avait eu l’intention de se suicider après avoir tenté de tuer son épouse, dont il était séparé, mais que son projet avait tourné court.
Dans sa plaidoirie de clôture, le ministère public a simplement déclaré : [TRADUCTION] « Cet homme, Ronald Wasser, voulait tuer celle qui devait bientôt devenir son ex-épouse, puis se suicider. » [6] Au cours de discussions préalables à l’exposé au jury, la question s’est posée de savoir s’il fallait engager le jury à considérer la tentative de suicide comme un « comportement après le fait » .
Une directive en ce sens aurait évidemment nécessité, de la part du juge du procès, des observations sur les inférences qui pouvaient être tirées quant à l’identité [du tireur] et sur le danger, le cas échéant, de ces inférences.
L’appelant s’était systématiquement dressé contre toute volonté de présenter la tentative de suicide comme un comportement après le fait et avait ensuite rappelé au juge et au jury, dans sa plaidoirie, que la preuve de la tentative de suicide (qu’il niait) n’établissait pas qu’elle était survenue après le coup de feu, mais qu’elle pouvait être survenue avant . [7] Dans le contexte de la preuve présentée, et face à l’argument avancé par l’appelant relativement au moment auquel la tentative de suicide avait pu survenir, le juge du procès a choisi de traiter la preuve de la tentative de suicide simplement comme un autre élément de la preuve circonstancielle jouant un modeste rôle de corroboration.
Il n’a pas indiqué qu’elle avait une valeur particulière en ce qui a trait à la question capitale de l’identité. [8] Après trois jours de délibérations, le jury a demandé au juge s’il [TRADUCTION] « pouvait déclarer un homme coupable sur le seul fondement d’une preuve circonstancielle ». Après avoir consulté les parties, le juge du procès a répondu aux jurés par l’affirmative, puis leur a répété ses directives de départ sur les preuves directe et circonstancielle, le fardeau de la preuve et le doute raisonnable.
L’appelant a accepté ces directives à la fois lorsqu’elles ont été données, à l’origine, et lorsqu’elles ont été reprises, après la question posée par le jury. IV. Moyens d’appel
[9] L’appelant fonde sur les moyens suivants l’appel qu’il interjette de ses déclarations de culpabilité :
c) Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en ne donnant pas de directives au jury sur l’utilisation qu’il pouvait faire d’un « comportement postérieur à l’infraction »;
d) Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en ne donnant pas au jury des directives appropriées sur la preuve circonstancielle et sur son application au fardeau de la preuve. V. Analyse [10] Le premier moyen d’appel reproche au juge du procès de ne pas avoir indiqué dans quelle mesure il était permis, ou non, d’utiliser la prétendue tentative de suicide, en tant que « comportement après le fait », comme une preuve circonstancielle pour établir la culpabilité.
L’appelant soutient essentiellement qu’il en est résulté une grave absence de directive équivalant à une directive erronée, erreur qui justifierait la tenue d’un nouveau procès étant donné que la disposition réparatrice de l’ art. 686 du Code criminel ne peut y remédier. [11] Le second moyen d’appel attaque les directives du juge du procès sur la preuve circonstancielle en général, et la réponse donnée à la question du jury lorsqu’il s’est enquis de la possibilité de prononcer une déclaration de culpabilité sur le seul fondement d’une preuve circonstancielle. A.
Premier moyen d’appel : utilisation du comportement postérieur à l’infraction [12] L’appelant soutient essentiellement que, parce que les jurés disposaient de preuve faisant état de la tentative de suicide comme d’un comportement après le fait, le juge du procès avait l’obligation de leur donner une directive appropriée afin de garantir que cette preuve ne soit pas utilisée improprement.
Plus précisément, il soutient que le juge du procès avait à donner au jury une directive analogue à la directive 11.14 des Modèles de directives au jury du Conseil canadien de la magistrature (Ottawa (Ont.), Institut national de la magistrature, 2012) . Cette directive prévient les jurés de n’inférer la culpabilité de l’accusé de la preuve d’un comportement postérieur à l’infraction que s’ils sont convaincus, dans le contexte de l’ensemble de la preuve, qu’elle est compatible avec sa culpabilité et incompatible avec toute autre conclusion raisonnable.
Elle leur rappelle que, même si l’accusé était motivé par un sentiment de culpabilité, ce sentiment peut être attribuable à autre chose qu’à l’infraction qui lui est reprochée. (On pourra se reporter, dans le même ordre d’idées, à Watt’s Manual of Criminal Jury Instructions, 2 e éd., Toronto, Thomson Carswell, 2015.) [13] Je suis d’avis que ce moyen d’appel doit être écarté pour au moins trois raisons :
a) l’argument avancé par l’appelant en appel va nettement à l’encontre de la position exprimée et de la stratégie en apparence adoptée par son avocat expérimenté au procès;
b) l’obligation de donner au jury des directives sur le « comportement après le fait » n’existe pas dans les circonstances;
c) même si cette obligation existait, l’application de la disposition réparatrice du ss.-al. 686(1) b )(iii) du Code criminel remédierait à l’erreur.
(1) Position de l’appelant au procès [14] Il faut d’abord comprendre qu’il ne s’agit pas ici d’une cause où l’appelant aurait avoué avoir fait feu, mais soutiendrait qu’il n’avait pas l’intention spécifique de tuer que requiert une déclaration de culpabilité pour tentative de meurtre. Il s’agit d’une cause où l’appelant nie qu’il soit mêlé au crime commis contre son épouse.
Comme l’a reconnu l’avocat représentant l’appelant devant notre Cour, l’identité du tireur était probablement la seule question qui se soit réellement posée au jury. [15] Nous avons vu que l’avocat de la défense s’était opposé farouchement à toute volonté de présenter la tentative de suicide comme un « comportement après le fait ». Il avait fait remarquer avec justesse que la preuve d’expert offerte par le ministère public était tout aussi indicative d’une tentative de suicide survenue avant le coup de feu sur la victime que survenue après le crime.
De fait, il est permis tout au plus d’affirmer, au regard de la preuve d’expert sur ce point, que la tentative de suicide a eu lieu vers le moment où le coup de feu a été tiré. Cela étant, il était plutôt périlleux pour le juge du procès de considérer la
tentative de suicide comme un « comportement après le fait » et de donner au jury des directives correspondantes. De toute évidence, il adécidé de traiter la tentative de suicide présumée comme une simple preuve circonstancielle et de ne lui attribuer aucune valeurparticulière au
chapitre de l’identité. [16] Encore que mes vues sur ce point soient quelque peu conjecturales, il m’apparaît que l’avocatexpérimenté qui occupait pour l’appelant au procès a adopté la position dont j’ai rendu compte sachant très bien qu’une directive sur le« comportement après le fait » n’avantagerait pas nécessairement son client. De fait, le juge aurait été tenu d’informer les jurés que, s’ilsconcluaient que l’appelant avait tenté de s’enlever la vie dès après le coup de feu, ils seraient admis à en inférer qu’il avait vouluéchapper pour toujours aux conséquences de son acte illégal ici-bas (Regina c.
Williams, [1973] O.J. No. 2184 (C.A.) (QL); R. c. Sodhi, (ON CA), [2003] O.J. No. 3397 (C.A.) (QL), par. 54). Il allait de soi que ce genre d’inférence acceptable lieraitl’appelant au coup de feu et que le jury pourrait se reporter à cette inférence, ainsi qu’à la preuve circonstancielle dans son ensemble,pour résoudre la question capitale de l’identité du tireur. Par ailleurs, il est permis de se demander, comme l’a exprimé l’intimée dans sonmémoire, quel était exactement le danger d’une telle inférence en matière d’identité.
Après tout, la preuve n’avait de pertinence qu’àl’égard des questions de l’identité et de l’intention. Vu ceci, l’intimée fait valoir, à juste titre, que la proximité temporelle de la tentativede suicide présumée et du coup de feu écarte le danger qu’il puisse y avoir à tirer cette inférence acceptable en matière d’identité.
Bref,que la tentative de suicide ait été motivée par l’affliction ou qu’elle ait été une tentative d’échapper aux conséquences d’un acte illégal, lecomportement après le fait était un élément de preuve que le jury aurait pu utiliser, sans danger, pour tenter de résoudre la question del’identité du tireur. [17] Quoi qu’il en soit, il est clair que l’appelant, naturellement, s’est réjoui de voir le juge du procèsdonner au jury des directives sur la preuve circonstancielle qui s’inspiraient de ce que propose Watt’s Manual of Criminal Jury Instructions (2e éd., Toronto, Thomson Carswell, 2015).
Dans ces directives, le juge explique aux jurés la différence entre les preuvesdirecte et circonstancielle, illustre par des exemples accessibles le processus d’inférence et conclut en les informant que[TRADUCTION] « les deux types de preuve comptent. Le droit les traite de manière égale. Aucune des deux n’est nécessairementmeilleure ou moins bonne que l’autre. Dans chaque cas, votre tâche consiste à décider quelles conclusions vous tirerez compte tenu de lapreuve dans son ensemble, tant la preuve directe que la preuve circonstancielle.
Pour arriver à votre décision, servez-vous de votre bonsens et de votre expérience » (p. 277). En somme, il est quelque peu étonnant que l’avocat qui représente l’accusé en appel soutienne quele juge du procès aurait dû donner au jury des directives sur la tentative de suicide en tant que « comportement après le fait », alors que ladéfense, au procès, avait convaincu le juge de ne pas le faire.
Le défaut de soulever une objection au procès peut ne pas être un obstacle àune victoire en appel, mais il contribue largement à montrer que, du point de vue de l’avocat qui plaidait au procès, les directives donnéespar le juge du procès sur ce point étaient appropriées.
(2) Le juge du procès était-il tenu de mettre en garde le jury contre le danger d’utiliser la preuve de la tentative de suicide commeune preuve relative à l’identité [du tireur]? [18] L’appelant convient avec l’intimée que [TRADUCTION] « la logique et le bon sens admettent,vu l’ensemble des circonstances, qu’un coup de feu et une tentative de suicide quasi simultanés sont indicatifs, par inférence, de l’identitédu tireur » (par. 29 du mémoire d’appel du ministère public). Il soutient, en revanche, qu’une mise en garde s’imposait.
L’intimée répondque cette mise en garde, bien qu’il eût été préférable de la donner dans le but d’éviter un appel, ne s’imposait pas. À mon sens, il s’agitici d’une cause où, comme l’avance l’avocate de l’intimée dans son mémoire, [TRADUCTION] « les craintes quant à la nécessité deproposer d’autres explications du comportement sont écartées par la proximité du comportement suicidaire et du coup de feu tiré. Aucuneautre explication raisonnable ne pouvait être avancée pour cette proximité, hormis la coïncidence ».
En deux mots, il n’existait aucunrisque que les jurés, en leur capacité de « juges des faits intelligents et raisonnables », tirent « des conclusions irrationnelles ouhypothétiques [de ces] éléments de preuve pertinents » (R. c. White, 2011 CSC 13, [2011] 1 R.C.S. 433, par. 54 à 56), et, commel’indique l’intimée, il n’existait [TRADUCTION] « aucune autre explication raisonnable qu’il aurait fallu signaler au jury ».
(3) Application de la disposition réparatrice [19] À supposer une erreur de droit de la part du juge du procès, au sens où il aurait dû donner lamise en garde souhaitée par l’appelant, la question se pose de savoir si l’application de la disposition réparatrice peut remédier à cetteerreur. L’appelant soutient qu’il convient d’écarter le jugement du tribunal de première instance, et d’ordonner un nouveau procès, pourle motif qu’il constitue une décision erronée sur une question de droit (ss.-al. 686(1)a)(ii)).
L’intimée invoque le ss.-al. 686(1)b)(iii), quiprévoit qu’un appel peut être rejeté si, nonobstant la décision erronée du tribunal de première instance sur une question de droit, la courd’appel est d’avis qu’aucun tort important ou aucune erreur judiciaire grave ne s’est produit. La charge qui incombe au ministère publiclorsqu’il invoque la disposition réparatrice « est beaucoup plus élevée que celle voulant [qu’il] prouve ses allégations “hors de tout douteraisonnable” lors du procès » (R. c.
Trochym, 2007 CSC 6, [2007] 1 R.C.S. 239, par. 82). [20] Nous l’avons vu, l’appelant reconnaît que la question capitale, en l’espèce, était celle de sonidentification comme étant l’individu qui avait fait feu sur la victime. Il a fait valoir, au procès, qu’il revenait au ministère public deprouver qu’il était l’individu qui avait tiré sur son épouse et que, eu égard à l’absence de preuve médicolégale le liant au coup tiré, ainsi
qu’au fait que personne ne l’avait vu retourner à sa chambre à coucher après le coup de feu, l’identité du tireur devait susciter un doute raisonnable au jury. Mme Wasser n’avait pu identifier l’appelant comme étant le tireur, mais affirmait avoir aperçu une silhouettecorrespondant à la sienne : ce témoignage était un autre élément de la preuve circonstancielle indiquant qu’il pouvait être l’auteur ducrime. Mais même si l’on exclut le témoignage contradictoire de la victime sur l’identité du tireur et la preuve portant sur la tentative desuicide, les autres éléments de la preuve circonstancielle en matière d’identité sont accablants. Ils ont été résumés aux paragraphes 3 et 4. [21]
Malgré que de nombreux témoins aient abordé la tentative de suicide de l’appelant, il est permisd’affirmer qu’elle a peu concouru à prouver l’identité de l’auteur du crime. Les éléments pertinents de la preuve circonstancielle, qui ontoccupé une place importante pour ce qui est de prouver l’identité du tireur, étaient ceux-ci : le mobile du crime et l’occasion de lecommettre, la présence d’une cartouche de fusil de chasse intacte dans la poche de l’appelant, étendu dans son lit, et le message texteenvoyé à sa mère dans lequel il exprimait son chagrin.
Pas une once de preuve, très franchement, ne désignait quelqu’un d’autre quel’appelant comme l’individu qui avait fait feu sur son épouse avec le fusil de chasse. À mon sens, le ministère public, sans contredit, s’estdéchargé du lourd fardeau de démontrer que la preuve désignant l’appelant comme l’auteur de ce crime est à ce point accablante que,n’eut été ce que l’appelant qualifie de l’« erreur », le juge des faits serait forcément arrivé à la même conclusion (R. c. Khan, 2001 CSC86, [2001] 3 R.C.S. 823, par. 28).
J’estime que la disposition réparatrice s’applique en l’espèce, à supposer une erreur de droit dans lesdirectives données sur le « comportement après le fait ». [22] Je suis d’avis de ne pas accueillir ce moyen d’appel. B. Second moyen d’appel : exposé au jury sur la preuve circonstancielle et réponse à la question du jury [23] L’exposé donné au jury par le juge du procès sur la preuve circonstancielle est résumé auparagraphe 17 des présents motifs, et je ne le reprendrai pas ici.
Lorsque les jurés ont interrompu leurs longues délibérations pourdemander au juge du procès s’ils pouvaient prononcer une déclaration de culpabilité sur le seul fondement d’une preuve circonstancielle,le juge, avec l’assentiment des avocats, a répété ce qu’il avait indiqué dans son exposé principal, mais ajouté des observations sur lefardeau de la preuve et le concept de « doute raisonnable ».
Comme l’appelant l’admet sans peine, le juge a rappelé aux jurés à plusieursreprises, tout au long du procès, qu’il fallait que chacun des éléments de toutes les infractions soit prouvé hors de tout doute raisonnablepour que l’accusé puisse être déclaré coupable. [24] L’appelant reconnaît qu’il est [TRADUCTION] « acquis qu’il n’existe aucune obligationjuridique selon laquelle il faudrait employer une formule précise pour la communication de directives au jury au sujet de la preuvecirconstancielle, pourvu que le message nécessaire soit transmis », et renvoie à R. c. Cooper, (SCC), [1978] 1 R.C.S. 860, à R. c.
Griffin, 2009 CSC 28, [2009] 2 R.C.S. 42, par. 33, à Bowlin c. R., 2010 NBCA 90, 366 R.N.-B. (2e) 292, par. 8, et à R. c.Fleet, (ON CA), [1997] O.J. No. 4553 (C.A.) (QL), arrêt invoqué au procès. Il maintient néanmoins que, parce que lapoursuite repose entièrement sur une preuve circonstancielle, le juge du procès était tenu de donner aux jurés une directivesupplémentaire précisant qu’ils ne pouvaient arriver à un verdict de culpabilité à moins d’être convaincus hors de tout doute raisonnable,vu l’ensemble de la preuve, que la culpabilité était la seule conclusion raisonnable qui pût être tirée des faits prouvés.
L’appelant soutientessentiellement qu’il ne suffisait pas, ici, de donner pour directive aux jurés qu’ils pouvaient prononcer une déclaration de culpabilités’ils étaient convaincus hors de tout doute raisonnable que chacun des éléments essentiels de l’infraction avait été prouvé.
Le défaut dedonner cet avertissement additionnel constitue, soutient-il, une grave absence de directive équivalant à une directive erronée. [25] Les prétentions de l’appelant s’appuient, dans une large mesure, sur l’arrêt Griffin et sur lesModèles de directives au jury en matière criminelle du Conseil canadien de la magistrature (Ottawa (Ont.), Conseil canadien de lamagistrature, 2004). L’appelant cite la directive 10.2 (partie III - Directives finales), qui informe le lecteur de ce qui suit : Lorsque la preuve du poursuivant est entièrement ou en grande
partie circonstancielle, une directive supplémentaire doit [soulignementde l’appelant] être donnée : Cependant, vous ne pouvez arriver à un verdict de culpabilité fondé sur une preuve circonstancielle, à moins d’être convaincus hors detout doute raisonnable que la culpabilité de (NDA) [nom de l’accusé] est la seule conclusion rationnelle qu’on puisse tirer de l’ensemblede la preuve. [En italique dans l’original.]
[26] Les prétentions de l’appelant sur ce point sont inconciliables, sans aucun doute, avec lajurisprudence qu’il invoque. Son argument, comme celui qui était avancé dans Bowlin, n’est rien de moins qu’une tentative visant à faireen sorte que la Cour adopte l’application d’une formule en matière d’exposé au jury, dans des affaires où le ministère public s’appuie surune preuve circonstancielle pour prouver un élément essentiel d’une infraction, telle l’identité en l’espèce. Sur ce point, il me paraîtindiqué de reproduire ce que notre Cour a écrit dans Bowlin : Il est vrai que, dans R. c.
Griffin, au par. 33, la Cour suprême signale aux juges de procès que « [l]’élément essentiel d’une directive enmatière de preuve circonstancielle consiste à faire comprendre aux jurés que, pour prononcer un verdict de culpabilité, ils doivent êtreconvaincus hors de tout doute raisonnable que la seule conclusion rationnelle pouvant être tirée de la preuve circonstancielle est quel’accusé est coupable ». En ce qui concerne l’appelant, cela indique que ces mots, ou des mots à cet effet, doivent être employés dans lesinstructions données au jury sur la preuve circonstancielle.
Toutefois, la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Griffin poursuit en expliquantqu’« [i]l y a différentes façons de communiquer ce message aux jurés » et elle fait référence plus particulièrement, en l’approuvant detoute évidence, à la formulation employée dans R. c. Fleet, (ON CA), [1997] O.J. No. 4553 (C.A.) (QL), au par. 20; R.c. Guiboche, 2004 MBCA 16, [2004] M.J. No. 43 (QL), aux par. 108 à 110; et R. c. Tombran, au par. 29. Les décisions Fleet, Guiboche et Tombran et les paragraphes particuliers cités par la juge Charron dans l’arrêt Griffin nous éclairent surles « différentes façons » d’atteindre l’objectif énoncé.
Dans l’arrêt Fleet, la Cour a affirmé ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]Ainsi, le juge du procès, en examinant la preuve, en cernant la position de la défense et en établissant un parallèle entre les partiesessentielles de la preuve et cette position, peut formuler la directive nécessaire de la manière qu’il ou elle considère la plus appropriée euégard aux circonstances, par exemple :
a) en donnant au jury des instructions suivant la formulation traditionnelle sur la preuve hors de tout doute raisonnable (le juge en chefLaskin dans Cooper);
b) en donnant au jury des instructions suivant cette formulation et en rappelant au jury les autres conclusions qui, selon la défense,devraient être tirées de la preuve et la nécessité d’acquitter l’accusé si l’une de ces conclusions soulève un doute raisonnable (comme lejuge du procès l’avait fait dans Cooper, dans la dernière
partie de son nouvel exposé au jury);
c) en informant le jury dans ses instructions qu’il doit être convaincu hors de tout doute raisonnable que la culpabilité de l’accusé est laseule conclusion raisonnable à tirer des faits prouvés (le juge Ritchie, dans Cooper [...]). [par. 20] [par. 11 et 12] [27] J’estime que R. c. Taylor, 2015 ONCA 448, [2015] O.J.
No. 3234 (QL), décision récente de laCour d’appel de l’Ontario (motifs du juge Watt), confirme le bien-fondé des vues que notre Cour a exprimées dans Bowlin : [TRADUCTION]Premièrement, les arrêts de principe n’exigent pas de « directives spéciales » sur la norme à laquelle doit satisfaire la preuve du ministèrepublic lorsqu’elle est purement circonstancielle (R. c. Cooper, (SCC), [1978] 1 R.C.S. 860, p. 865, 866 et 881; R. c.Griffin, 2009 CSC 28, [2009] 2 R.C.S. 42, par. 33), et ce, même lorsque la question en litige concerne l’identification (Griffin, par. 33).
Deuxièmement, l’élément essentiel d’une directive en matière de preuve circonstancielle consiste à faire comprendre aux jurés que, pourprononcer un verdict de culpabilité, ils doivent être convaincus hors de tout doute raisonnable que la seule conclusion rationnellepouvant être tirée de la preuve circonstancielle, dans son ensemble, est que l’accusé est coupable de l’infraction (Griffin, par. 33). Troisièmement, le message capital à communiquer au jury en ce qui concerne la norme de preuve, dans les affaires où la preuve estexclusivement circonstancielle, peut l’être de différentes façons (Griffin, par. 33).
Le juge du procès n’est pas tenu d’adopter uneformulation précise : il suffit que l’exposé transmette clairement au jury le point capital, soit la nécessité de conclure que la culpabilité del’accusé est établie, vu la preuve dans son ensemble, hors de tout doute raisonnable (R. c. Tombran (2000), (ON CA), 142 C.C.C. (3d) 380 (C.A. Ont.), autorisation de pourvoi auprès de la Cour suprême refusée, [2000] C.S.C.R. no 294, par. 29; R. c. Fleet(1997), (ON CA), 120 C.C.C. (3d) 457 (C.A. Ont.), p. 464 et 465).
Quatrièmement, ce qui importe, dans les affaires où la poursuite se fonde sur une preuve purement circonstancielle, c’est que le jury comprenne de quelle façon il peut utiliser cette preuve pour établir la culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable ( R. c. Mayuran , 2012 CSC 31 , [2012] 2 R.C.S. 162 , par. 38 ). Le juge du procès pourra se conformer à cette norme en expliquant la nature de la preuve circonstancielle, les inférences qui peuvent en être légitimement tirées et le fardeau de la preuve hors de tout doute raisonnable ( Mayuran , par. 38 ).
Application des principes Je suis d’avis de ne pas accueillir la thèse d’une erreur sur ce point. Elle vise à regagner le terrain cédé il y a presque quarante ans dans Cooper et à rétablir la formule de l’arrêt Hodge’s en tant qu’unique expression correcte de la norme du doute raisonnable dans les causes où la preuve est purement circonstancielle. Cette formule est tombée aux oubliettes. Qu’elle y reste.
Comme je l’ai indiqué précédemment, les décisions qui font autorité repoussent l’emploi de « directives spéciales » ou de formules toutes faites pour expliquer la norme de preuve applicable dans les causes qui reposent sur une preuve purement circonstancielle ( Mayuran , par. 38 ). Il s’ensuit que s’abstenir de les employer, en l’espèce, ne constituait ni une directive erronée ni une absence de directive équivalant à une directive erronée. [par. 152 à 157] [28] Vu les arrêts Bowlin et Taylor , ce moyen d’appel est sans fondement. VI.
Dispositif [29] Pour tous les motifs qui précèdent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel.